Alfalfa County, Oklahoma
Biographies

Carrie Arganbright — of Jett, Alfalfa County, Okla. Republican. Alternate delegate to Republican National Convention from Oklahoma, was held in Cleveland, Ohio at the Public Auditorium, from June 9 to June 12, 1936. It nominated Governor Alfred Landon of Kansas for President and Frank Knox of Illinois for Vice-President. [Submitted by Linda Craig]



Hon. Addison C. Beeman
An expanse of woodland often takes its character from several conspicuous trees. When one of these giants is overthrown the entire forest seems desolate. The same is true of humanity. When death overwhelms one of its broad and massive characters, an entire community, loses an important feature of its rugged outline and there is a widespread sense of grief as of a permanent loss.
All this and more wore true of the late Senator Addison C. Beeman of Alfalfa County, who died suddenly at his home in Cherokee Thanksgiving morning November 25, 1915. His loss was felt the more keenly because he was still a young man, less than forty-six. He was born in Sharpville, Ohio, June 19, 1870. When he was six years old his parents moved to Pennsylvania where he attended common schools, and in 1896 he graduated with honors from Valparaiso University in Indiana.
He was a very capable educator before he took up the law. After graduating from college and after his marriage he taught school for a number of years at Tassanong, Indiana, and for three years was principal of the city schools at Wheatfield, Indiana. He then removed to Oklahoma, was in the real estate and loan business at Carmen, and then lived at Alva, the county seat of old Woods County, where he was under-sheriff until statehood.
Senator Beeman became one of the pioneers of Alfalfa County, locating there on November 16, 1907, the date of Oklahoma's admission to the Union. In the meantime he had studied law, was admitted to the bar, and began practice at Cherokee. As a lawyer he was remarkably successful, and his success has further distinction because he did not take up the law until comparatively late in years, being past thirty when he was admitted to the bar. It is said that at the time of his death he enjoyed the largest practice of any attorney in Cherokee. His diligent application to his work, the absolute confidence clients imposed in his integrity and devotion to their interests, won him a recognition and standing such as few attorneys could expect to enjoy anywhere. The esteem of his colleagues in the law was well expressed in resolutions by the Alfalfa County Bar Association. A few sentences from these resolutions should be quoted: "The bar of which he was a member here had learned to honor and to love him. He typified to a rare degree that ultimatum of industry and integrity toward which we know it to be the duty of every right-thinking lawyer to strive. We feel that his life as a citizen and a lawyer exemplified that enlightened morality which is the essence of that spirit of Divine Justice with which the best of our profession strive to vivify and inspire all laws. The tenderness of his nature wove into the sterner woof of statute and decision the golden web of sympathy which tempered justice with mercy. In our daily struggle to combine loyalty to client with obedience to law and reverence for right, his example of unswerving rectitude has always made the path of duty less hard and less lonely.''
At the time of his death Senator Beeman was serving his first term as a member of the Oklahoma Senate. He was elected by a large majority to that office in the fall of 1914. So well and favorably was he known over his district that he was elected with practically little effort in campaigning on his part, either in the primaries or in the general election. He was also the Alfalfa County member of the Republican State Central Committee.
He was a man of many interests and sympathies. About four years before his death he and his family joined the Friends Church at Cherokee, and he served his church as chairman of the Finance Committee and for over two years as teacher of the Men's Bible Class. His loyalty to church work was indicated by the fact that only a few days before his death, though suffering from illness, he was found at his regular place in the Sunday School room. He was also a member of the Masonic Order, the Brotherhood of American Yeomen at Cherokee, The Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America at Carmen.
Mr. Beeman was the oldest of ten children, and his was the first death in the family circle. His aged father, a minister of the Baptist Church, is still living. On July 23, 1896, Senator Beeman married Miss Hulda Davidson, who had been a fellow student with him in Valparaiso University in Indiana, and they were married a few weeks after he graduated from that school. To their marriage were born two children: Virgil and Maecil Beeman, both of whom are still living.
As an appropriate conclusion to this brief review of Senator Beeman's activities and influence there should be quoted a few editorial paragraphs from the newspaper of his home community:

"In the death of Senator A. C. Beeman Alfalfa County sustained the loss of one of her very best citizens—a man whose place in the public estimation it will be difficult to fill. There was not a better man from the standpoint of usefulness in all Alfalfa County than Senator Beeman* He was highly respected even by those with whom he had legal and political difficulties. He was universally honored and trusted by every one who knew him. His very name was a synonym for honesty and squareness and in the days that he was a useful member of Alfalfa County life he established a reputation that few men build in the community is which they live.
"As a citizen Ad Beeman was always to be found on the right side of every proposition. Whatever was best for his community and his neighbors was his creed. To better humanity was to better himself, was the theory on which his life practices were founded. A loyal and patriotic citizen, a cheerful and desirable neighbor, and a devoted and attentive head of a family, he stood for everything that builds the moral, civil and religious life of a community. As a citizen of the county he took the view that it was the best county in Oklahoma, as a citizen of Cherokee he adhered vigorously to the theory that it was the best town on earth, and an entire citizenship of men like Beeman would make it so. Rigidly industrious and perhaps giving more attention to his business than any man in Cherokee, yet he could always find time to do something for the good of the town.
"As an attorney, the leader of the local bar, he was all that a lawyer should be and nothing that one should not be. With as high a regard for the ethics of his profession as any man ever admitted to the bar, Mr. Beeman put the beautiful theories of law into the practical application. His large business came almost entirely from the fact that men had absolute confidence in what he told them and that he was more likely to honestly advise a man out of a law suit than try to advise him into one. So few lawyers of today have this virtue that it was singular in Senator Beeman. No set of people will miss him so much as those who entrusted him with their business affairs. The splendid reputation he built for himself is a model that any young lawyer can well afford to follow.
"As a public officer Senator Beeman was faithful to every trust the same as he was in the private business that was given him for his attention. He regarded his duties as a member of the State Senate very much as he regarded the interests of his clients. Although he had served but one term in that body every fellow member learned to respect and honor him.
'' The loss of no man in this community could have caused more of a shock or a deeper sorrow than the untimely death of Senator Beeman. To his family, richer than any worldly goods, he left a name of which they will always be proud, a memory which they can always honor and a record of having been a real man."

[Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]



Benjamin Bradley
Benjamin Bradley
was born, in 1881, in Marshall county, Iowa.  He came with the parental family to Cherokee in 1902, and immediately after having attained his majority, embarked in the real estate business with his father and brother, the firm name being, as at present, Bradley & Sons. One of the strongest firms of the kind in this part of Oklahoma, it has been among the foremost to boom both Cherokee and Alfalfa county, and has been instrumental in attracting to this particular locality many substantial business enterprises.
[A History of the State of Oklahoma, pg. 492 - Submitted by Linda Craig]


CHARLES E. CAMPBELL – Superintendent of Schools at Cherokee, Oklahoma, since 1927, Charles E. Campbell is well fitted by temperament and training for the difficult educational position which he has been called upon to fill. In this capacity he has initiated a progressive administration of high type, and has put the details of his program into effective execution, discharging all his duties with the greatest efficiency, and to the complete satisfaction of the community which he serves.
Mr. Campbell was born at Colwich, in Sedgwick County, Kansas, on January 27, 1893, a son of E. and Mary (Mathias) Campbell, and one of five children, the others being: 1. Armintia, now the wife of K. Thompson, of San Bernardino, California. 2. Cordia, of San Bernardino. 3. Mary, now the wife of John Ragan, of Burlington, Oklahoma. 5. Roy, of Medford, Oklahoma. The father, a native of Indiana, came from Kansas with his family in 1893, and homesteaded in Alfalfa County. He now makes his home at Burlington. The mother, who was born in Ohio, died in Oklahoma on April 13, 1927.
Charles E. Campbell, of this record, attended the Oklahoma public schools, and was graduated from the Cherokee High School in 1914. Thereafter he attended the Friends' University at Wichita, and later, Northwestern Teachers' College at Alva, Oklahoma, following which he attended and received his degree from Phillips University at Enid, Oklahoma, in 1920.
Meanwhile, however, with the outbreak of the World War, and America's entry into the struggle. Mr. Campbell enlisted in his country's cause, spending eleven months in France as a member of Evacuation Ambulance Corps No. 18. While in the service he also attended Toulouse University for a time. With the return to civil life, Mr. Campbell continued his studies, leading to a degree, and then took up active teaching. He had taught for a number of years prior to the completion of his academic training, chiefly in the field of athletics, while after his graduation from Phillips University, he accepted a position in the schools of Burlington, where he remained until 1927. In September of that year, he became Superintendent of Schools at Cherokee, and has since devoted himself most successfully to the duties of this office, having charge of the high school and other schools of the city.
Mr. Campbell has always been interested in civic affairs and the problems of government, supporting the principles and candidates of the Democratic party. He is affiliated, fraternally, with the Free and Accepted Masons, while with his family he worships in the faith of the Christian church.
On November 30, 1919, Charles E. Campbell married Jessie Irene Heck, who was born in Kansas. They are the parents of two children: 1. Mary Elizabeth, born on April 5. 1924. 2. Helen Louise, who was born on March 22, 1928.
(Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and its People, by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright; Volume IV; Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., New York 1929; transcribed by WJ Fields)
WILLIAM A. CARLISLE.
To William A. Carlisle belongs the honor of being one of the two men who first settled upon the virgin prairie where now stands the town of Cherokee, and throughout its growth and development he has been a leading figure in the life of the community. He has always been an influence, and often his was the deciding voice in matters of pubic import. This position of leadership Mr. Carlisle has considered in the light of a public trust and has given conscientiously of his time and attention to the duties that fell to his lot. In November, 1928, he was elected sheriff of Alfalfa County on the Democratic ticket, in spite of the fact that the county is predominantly Republican, proof of the high esteem in which his fellow citizens, of whatever political faith, hold his ability. Mr. Carlisle has launched his work in that office with the efficiency and dispatch he has displayed in the handling of his other public work and in his own private business affairs.

Born October 24, 1873, at Williamstown, Grant County, Kentucky, Mr. Carlisle is the son of John A. and Clisty M. (Clark) Carlisle, both natives of Kentucky, who now make their home at Winfield, Kansas. The father is a farmer and stockman. Eldest of a family of nine children, the subject of this sketch left home as a boy and went to Montana where he was engaged for some years on a cattle ranch. In 1899 he came to Oklahoma and established a livery business and stock trading career, building large stock barns and a labyrinth of corrals. In this business he has since continued and prospered, while the town of Cherokee grew up about his cattle pens and the erstwhile wild, new country took on the aspects of modern civilization. Mr. Carlisle is a prominent Mason of the State belonging to the Guthrie Consistory, Knights Templar, and Oklahoma City Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

In October, 1896, Mr. Carlisle married Ida A. Mussen, of Kansas. To this union were born two children: William A., who died Januar
y 10, 1928, and Robert.
(Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and Its People, by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright, Volume IV; Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York, 1929; transcribed by Susan Geist)
ALANSON R. CARPENTER. One of the better-known lawyers of Cherokee, Alanson R. Carpenter is also a banker in that he has a place upon the board of directors of the Farmers National Bank. He is well known in fraternal circles of the State; he has advanced far in work of the Masonic Order; and everywhere his associates respect him for his keen intellect and obvious ability, and admire him for his likable personal qualities.

Mr. Carpenter was born January 11, 1879, the youngest of seven sons and daughters of Robert E. and Louisa W. (Courtney) Carpenter, both natives of Ohio. Near Marietta, was located the farm where their children were reared and here the father, a stock raiser and farmer, died May 11, 1913. In Ohio the mother lives happily and still possessed of all her faculties in spite of her ninety years.

Alanson R. Carpenter was graduated from high school in June 1901, and for three years thereafter attended Marietta College. He then transferred to the Law School of Ohio State University at Columbus where he received his degree in the spring of 1907. The following summer he went to Guthrie, Oklahoma, where he was permitted to practice under license from another State until admission of Oklahoma to Statehood made possible proper regulations in that commonwealth.

In November of 1907, Mr. Carpenter removed to Cherokee where he has since practiced. It was in 1915 that he became a director of the Farmers National Bank. He is affiliated with Corinthian Lodge, No. 307, Free and Accepted Masons, and Consistory No. 1, Knights Templar of Guthrie. He is a member of the Methodist church.

Mr. Carpenter married, November 5, 1909, Leota Stain, of Ohio.
(Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and Its People by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright; Volume IV; Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York, 1929; transcribed by Vicki Bryan)

Z. J. Clark, M. D.
Prominent among the foremost physicians and surgeons of Alfalfa county is
Z. J. Clark, M. D., of Ingersoll, who has a large and lucrative practice, and as a young man of promise is fast winning for himself a prominent and honored name in the medical profession. A native of Illinois, he was born at Metamora, Woodford county, but he was educated as a boy and youth in Kansas, attending the schools of Sedgwick and Kingman counties.  A young man of high ambitions and ideas, Z. J. Clark joined in the memorable race to Oklahoma, in 1893, and had the good fortune to secure a claim near Ingersoll. living upon the claim, which is still in his possession, until after he had proved up, Mr. Magee subsequently went to Kansas City, Missouri, and entered the Kansas City Medical College, where, in 1900, he was graduated with the degree of M. D. Returning immediately to Alfalfa county.  The Doctor acquired valuable town property, and as above mentioned still holds title to his original claim.  Dr. Clark married, in 1902, Mary L. Jobs, and they have two children, Hallie E. and Evert E. Politically Dr. Clark invariably casts his vote with the Democratic party; fraternally he is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows; and professionally he belongs to both the State and the County Medical Societies. [A History of the State of Oklahoma, pg. 493 - Submitted by Linda Craig]

ZACHARY J. CLARK, M. D. One of those who made the historic "run" to take up a homestead, Dr. Zachary J. Clark ranks as dean of Cherokee physicians for since the completion of his medical education, he has practiced medicine and surgery throughout the countryside, his contacts extending over a wide area, for in the early days trained medical men were comparatively few and Dr. Clark habitually traveled many miles over the difficult roads of a pioneer country to care for his patients. He is not only accorded a well-merited place of precedence among local physicians but is rated as one of the town's most substantial citizens as well, a large property holder and a man who takes deep pride in his home town and is ready at all times to be of service in public betterment movements.

Dr. Clark was born in Metamora, Illinois, November 12, 1868, the son of John and Elizabeth Jane (Cox) Clark, both natives of Kentucky. The family removed to Kansas in 1877. John Clark was an attorney whose death occurred at his Wichita, Kansas, home in 1883, while the mother died May 13, 1905. The youngest of a family of eight children, Dr. Clark attended the public grade and high schools, then after a short college course, went to the Kansas City Medical College of Kansas City, Missouri, where he was accorded a degree as a Doctor of Medicine in 1900. In hospitals of New Orleans, Chicago, and New York City, and in Harvard University's Medical College he did post-graduate work. When the opening of the Indian reservation land in Oklahoma was advertised he determined to acquire a claim. The homestead upon which Dr. Clark originally proved title, located seven miles north of Cherokee, is still in his possession. He also owns a home within the city. Dr. Clark is a thirty-second degree Mason, a member of India Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Dr. Clark has married twice. His first wife was Henrietta Gage, of Missouri, whom he married December 24, 1893. She died February 5, 1896, leaving a daughter Hallie, who became the wife of L. K. Ford of Cherokee. Dr. Clark married (second) on September 30, 1900, Mary L. Jobes of Oklahoma. Their children are Everett E., Robert Donovan, and Mary Barbara.
(Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and Its People by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright; Volume IV; Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York, 1929; transcribed by Vicki Bryan)


WARREN ADELBERT DILLON. Elected county attorney of Alfalfa County in 1928, the year he was admitted to the Oklahoma bar, W. Adelbert Dillon has rendered eminent public service in his office, bringing to justice many infringers of the law and generally elevating the standards of the legal practices of the county. With youthful enthusiasm he has thrown himself wholeheartedly in the business of prosecuting men and women accused of breaking the laws and he has put behind him, in the short space of time he has been in office, a creditable record of accomplishment.

Mr. Dillon was born on a farm five miles northeast of Cherokee, Oklahoma, August 24, 1902, the eldest of the six sons and daughters of Albert W. and Etta E. (Bender) Dillon. The parents, who came to Oklahoma in 1894 to pre-empt the land which they continued to farm for many years, have now retired and make their home in Cherokee. In addition to the subject of this sketch, their children are: Gilbert, deceased; Eva Margaret, wife of D. J. Jackson of Herrington, Kansas; Iva Rose, wife of Leon Eaton of Waynoka, Oklahoma; Doyle Edward; Doris Vivian. W(arren) Adelbert Dillon was graduated from the Carmen High School in 1921 and enrolled the following autumn in the University of Oklahoma at Norman. After studying science there for one year, and also at the Agricultural and Mechanical College two years, he withdrew to take up law at Cumberland University, Lebanon, Tennessee. Here he was graduated in 1928, passing his examinations the same year for admission to the Oklahoma State bar. He secured the Democratic nomination to the office of county attorney and an enterprising campaign brought him success in the elections. His work is rapidly bringing his name before the people of Alfalfa County and the future promises much to him as a legal practioner in Woods County. Mr. Dillon became a member of Beta Theta Pi Fraternity during his college days and he is a member of the Masonic Order. He is affiliated with the Cherokee Methodist Church.
(Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and its People by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright; Volume IV, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York 1929; transcribed by Vicki Bryan)



J. G. Duncan is especially noted as being one of the five men that founded the enterprising and flourishing town of Carmen, buying its present site, in 1901, from the Oriental Railroad Company. He was born, in 1850, in Wisconsin, but was reared and educated in Minnesota, being brought up on a farm. In 1868 he moved with the family to Pottawatomie county, Kansas, where he assisted his father in the improvement of a farm, remaining beneath the parental roof for about two years.  Going to Wichita, in 1870, Mr. Duncan began life for himself as a cowboy, in that capacity trailing over the Oklahoma ranges among the very earliest of its cattlemen, continuing in that business several years. At the different openings of the Oklahoma and Indian Territories, Mr. Duncan has made three races, and still owns some farming property. After the opening of the old Woods county, he located the first postoffice within its limits. It was called Eaglechief, and his wife served as its first postmaster, while he became the pioneer merchant of the place. Removing from there to Augusta, Mr. Duncan there continued in mercantile pursuits until the establishment, in 1901, of the town of Carmen, as above mentioned. Transferring, his building to Carmen, it has here built up a large and thriving business, carrying in his well equipped store a fine assortment of general merchandise, including groceries, queensware, hardware and dry goods. In his business career Mr. Duncan has been uniformly successful, and since coming to Oklahoma has acquired a fair share of this world's goods, owning valuable town property, and farm lands.  Mr. Duncan married, in 1878, Mary L. Whitworth, and to them three children have been born, namely: Alfred, Grover, and Charles. Politically Mr. Duncan is a stanch supporter of the principles of the Democratic party and fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, to which his son Alfred also belongs. [A History of the State of Oklahoma, pg. 493 - Submitted by Linda Craig]
CARL S. DUNNINGTON. Cashier of the Farmers National Bank in Cherokee, has been an active citizen of Oklahoma, as well as of the Indian Territory before the days of Statehood, since his boyhood, having come to this region with his father, who practiced medicine here for about five years before his retirement from his professional labors.

Mr. Dunnington was born in Atlanta, Missouri, on April 1, 1882, son of Robert H. and Sadie (Still) Dunnington. His father was a physician and surgeon; he removed to Kansas in 1885, and then, in 1901, to Oklahoma, which then was a part of the old Indian Territory; here he stayed until 1906, when he retired and lived in California; he died in October 1926. The mother, Sadie (Still) Dunnington, died on December 24, 1883. Carl S. Dunnington, of whom this is a record, was their only child. Coming to Cherokee in June 1901, with his father, he worked in the summer of that year in a store that dealt in general merchandise. With this business enterprise he continued to be associated until September 5 of the same year, when he entered the hardware store that his father had started in collaboration with J. L. Halstead. The firm name of this enterprise was Dunnington and Halstead; and, after two years work with his father and Mr. Halstead, the boy became a partner in the firm. The store burned out, however, on February 22, 1913; the organization was reincorporated. He remained with the firm only until June 1915, when he was elected county treasurer, an office which he filled creditably and usefully for two terms of two years each. Then, in 1919. he became associated with the Farmers National Bank in the capacity of assistant cashier. In 1921 he was advanced to the cashier-ship, a position which he now holds.

Mr. Dunnington is also keenly interested in the public affairs and the social life of his town and State. In his political affiliations he is a staunch Democrat and a regular supporter of his party's policies and candidates. He is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, in which he is identified with Chapter No. 66, Royal Arch Masons, in which he is Past High Priest; the Knights Templar, in which he is Past Commander, and other bodies. He also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America, and to the Order of the Eastern Star of the Masonic fraternity.

Carl S. Dunnington married, on October 23, 1907, Nora E. Clarke, a native of Kansas. By this marriage there have been four children: 1) Robert Clarke. 2) William Glenn. 3) Ellen Still. 4) Mary Louise.
(Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and its People by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright; Volume IV, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York 1929; transcribed by Vicki Bryan)



Lucia Loomis Ferguson
Journalist and civic leader
Lucia Loomis Ferguson was born on March 29, 1887, in Boggy Depot, Indian Territory, to Dr. Enos O. and Lena Arbogast Loomis. Ferguson attended St. Xavier's Academy in Denison, Texas, through high school and Hardin College in Missouri for two years. Transferring to the University of Oklahoma, she graduated with a fine arts degree in 1908. At college she met Walter Scott Ferguson, son of former territorial governor Thompson B. Ferguson, and they married after her graduation. The couple purchased the Cherokee Republican, a newspaper in Alfalfa County, and worked together to establish the publication. Like her famous mother-in-law, Elva Shartel Ferguson, Lucia adapted her married life to the routine of a weekly, small-community newspaper. She first assumed the duties of subscription solicitation and bookkeeping and eventually wrote local items, interviews, editorials, and special features. Woman suffrage provided the couple with an issue that established an identity for themselves in public affairs and promoted interest in their newspaper. Although both privately supported women's political rights, they debated the suffrage question, with Lucia for and Walter against, on the pages of their newspaper. Walter Ferguson served in the Oklahoma Senate in 1916. In 1919 the couple sold the Cherokee Republican and moved to Oklahoma City. In 1928 they moved to Tulsa, where Walter Ferguson pursued a career in banking. With the move and after giving birth to two sons and a daughter, Lucia believed that her journalistic career had ended. However, she contributed an occasional column devoted to women's interests in her mother-in-law's newspaper, the Watonga Republican, and in 1922 George B. Parker, editor of the Oklahoma News, asked her to develop a women's column to compete with Edith Johnson's column in the Daily Oklahoman. Ferguson's "A Woman's Viewpoint" became so popular that it was syndicated by the Scripps Howard News Service and appeared in thirty-five newspapers across the United States. In addition, under her maiden name she wrote advice in the Tulsa Tribune's "lovelorn" column. Following her husband's death in 1936, Ferguson supported a number of civic activities, including the Tulsa Symphony and Chamber Music organizations, allowing one group to practice in her living room. She served on the board of directors of the Thomas Gilcrease Institute, the Urban League, and the YWCA. Inducted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame in 1937, Ferguson was a lifelong supporter of women's empowerment through the League of Women Voters. She helped organize the Planned Parenthood organization and worked with the Little Theater and Town Hall boards. Ferguson and prominent Tulsan Audrey Cole were killed in an automobile accident near Cross City, Florida, on February 27, 1962. Ferguson was interred at Rose Hill Mausoleum in Tulsa on March 2, 1962 ("Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture" - Submitted by Linda Craig))

Ira Alson Hill
Ira was born about 1874 in Vermont.  He shows his occupation as postmaster in 1910, and according to the 1920 census and lived in Cherokee, Alfalfa County, He was a Spanish-American War Veteran having served from 1898 to 1902.  He was a State Senator elected in 1922 for District 7 out of Cherokee, apparently won the Republican nomination for Governor over all comers. in 1930 he lost the elction to W.H. Murray, he was later a delegate to the Republican National Convention from Oklahoma, was held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, from June 24 to June 28, 1940. It nominated Wendell Willkie of Indiana for President and Senator Charles McNary of Oregon for Vice-President.  The contest for the 1940 Republican nomination was wide-open. Front-runners included Senator Arthur H. Vandenberg of Michigan, Senator Robert Taft of Ohio and Manhattan District Attorney Thomas E. Dewey.  He died September 10, 1941 in Albuquerque, New Mexico while on a business trip.  He was brought back to Cherokee and is buried in the Cherokee Municipal Cemetery. (Submitted by Linda Craig)
J. WILFORD HILL.
One of the best known members of his profession in the territory about Cherokee and Enid, J. Wilford Hill has filled a number of public offices both before and after his army service during the World War, and is now carrying on a successful legal practice of his own, with offices in Cherokee.

Mr. Hill was born June 3, 1891, in McPherson, Kansas, the son of Sherman W. Hill, a native of Ohio, and Amy (Hunt) Hill, who was born in Texas. The Hills came from Kansas to Oklahoma in 1893 to pre-empt a claim near Enid. The mother died in 1896 and the elder Mr. Hill now conducts an abstract business in Cherokee. The elder of their two sons is Virgil W. Hill of Oklahoma City.

J. Wilford Hill, the youngest son, was graduated from the Cherokee High School in 1912 and then went to the University of Kansas to study law. Receiving his degree in 1916, he passed the Oklahoma State Bar examinations and opened his office in Cherokee for a general legal practice. He was made city attorney in 1917 and served in that office until his enlistment in the army in 1918. Stationed at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri, he was honorable discharged following the signing of the Armistice and returned to Cherokee. Here he was reappointed to the office of city attorney and remained in this position until he was elected county attorney of Alfalfa County in 1921. Following the completion of his term of office in January, 1925, he resumed his private practice, but removed to Enid in May, 1926, to form a partnership for the practice of law with H. J. Sturgis of that place. Later John F. Curran was made a member of the firm of Curran, Sturgis & Hill. This partnership was dissolved in 1928, Mr. Hill returning to Cherokee to resume his practice individually. He specializes in banking law and acts as attorney for the Alfalfa County National Bank, the Cherokee National Bank, the First State Bank of Byron, Oklahoma, the First National Bank of Carmen, the Bank of Aline, and the Helen National Bank. Mr. Hill is a Mason and member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks.

Mr. Hill married, on September 19, 1917, Helen Oldham of Enid. They became the parents of three daughters: Genevieve, born March 28, 1919; Amy Lee, born July 27, 1921; and Ruth Ann, born August 3, 1924.
(Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and Its People, by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright, Volume IV; Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York, 1929; transcribed by Susan Geist)
Sherman Washington Hill
A man whose business acumen and broad intelligence are meaning much to the making of Cherokee is Sherman Washington Hill, who is secretary and treasurer of the Oklahoma Abstract Company, in which organization he is a dominant factor. He combines with the abstract work a large amount of loan and insurance operations. He may indeed be included among Oklahoma's business pioneers.
A family of pioneers and patriots is responsible for Mr. Hill's origin. The names of Washington and Sherman in his patronymic represent no idle whims of christening decisions. Daniel Hill, his great-grandfather, was a veteran of the War of the Revolution, in which great and momentous conflict he served as an orderly sergeant under the immortal George Washington. He named his son for his beloved commander-in-chief. Born at Perrysville, New York, on August 11, 1826. John Washington Hill, father of the subject, remained in that native state of his parents for some years but removed to Ohio while yet young. He married Emmeline Canfield and engaged in mercantile business, which he continued until the outbreak of the Civil war when he enlisted as a private in an Ohio regiment. He served for about three years under General Sherman and participated in numerous important engagements, including the Battle of Chickamauga. After the close of the war between the states, John Washington Hill established a foundry at Ashtabula, Ohio, remaining in that vocation and locality until 1871, when he determined to try a newer country. Going to Kansas, he located in Government land in McPherson County. His was an important part in the settling of that community. Organizing the McPherson Town-site Company he served as its secretary and treasurer, and his was the historic honor of laying out that town in 1872. He became more and more important as a public citizen as time passed and for fifteen years served the young municipality in the capacity of justice of the peace. His useful life closed in the town for which he had done so much, the date of his demise being April 22. 1896. He is still vividly remembered, as a popular Mason, a loyal republican and a faithful member of the Congregational Church. During his long life John Washington Hill had been three times married. Before his union with the Miss Canfield above mentioned, he had lost his first wife, nee Nancy Humphrey, who had left him one child, John A. Hill, who grow to maturity, became a citizen of the commonwealth of Arkansas and closed his earthly career in 1913. Mr. Hill's first marriage had been of but two years duration-from 1847 to 1849. In 1852 his home was blessed by the coming of Emmeline Canfield Hill, a native of the Buckeye State. To this marriage nine children were born, but none reached or passed the age of seven, except one, Sherman Washington Hill, the special subject of this article. The mother passed from earthly life in 1865, at the age of thirty-four. She is remembered as a woman of saintly spirit and religious devotion. In 1868 John Washington Hill took a third mate, Sarah Prosser and of this marriage two children were born, Fred P. Hill and Jessie L. Hill.
The natal day of our subject, Sherman Washington Hill was October 3, 1864, and his birthplace was Ashtabula County, Ohio. While still a child at the time of the family's removal to McPherson, Kansas, he was educated in the public schools of that place and later became a student at the University of Kansas. Mr. Hill is said to have been a good student, with some literary gift. His ambitions were educational and journalistic and he was but nineteen years of age when he purchased a newspaper. This was The Record, of Windom, Kansas. For a short time he conducted the paper and then accepted a pedagogical position, the quality of his teaching being not a little enriched by his editorial experience. But the call of journalism again came to him with such insistence that he bought The Smoky Valley News, of Lindsborg, Kansas. For three years he edited this paper and during that time exerted a very considerable influence in republican politics. Turning again to the co-profession of teaching, Mr. Hill continued in its useful activities until he became interested in abstracting, which he continued for a few years in Kansas. In time he became interested in Oklahoma's future and determined to unite his own with it. In 1893 he participated in the opening of the Cherokee Strip and followed his father's wise example in the matter of taking up Government land. Mr. Hill's homestead was six miles southeast of Enid and on this new and promising farm he remained for three years. Trained by experience to adapt himself to opportunities and to combine them worthily, he served his newly chosen state in educational affairs by spending a few years here also as a teacher.
Being well fitted for public service, Mr. Hill acted as deputy register of deeds of Garfield County for two years and as deputy treasurer he served for three years in the same place. In 1903 a financial opportunity came to him with the recognition of the need of a bank at Lucine, Oklahoma. Mr. Hill opened a bank at this place and acted as its cashier for three years.
It was in 1908 that he began his present residence in Cherokee. At that time he organized the Oklahoma Abstract Company, which has ever since owed so much to his capable management. No citizen of Cherokee and of Oklahoma has its best interests more at heart. Mr. Hill is deservedly prosperous and holds an enviable position in the esteem of those who know him; and they are legion, for he has participated in important interests in various parts of this vigorous young state. His opinion in vital matters is highly respected and it logically follows that he has been chosen by his townsmen to represent them on the school board and the city council.
Mr. Hill has been twice married. On August 1, 1888, at McPherson, Kansas, Miss Amy E. Hunt became Mrs. Hill. She was a native of Illinois, 1867 being the year of her birth. She died in Garfield County, Oklahoma, July 23, 1896, leaving two sons: Virgil W. Hill, born in McPherson County, January 18, 1890; and Joseph W. Hill, born Juno 3, 1892, in Kansas. This son is now a student in the University of Kansas, a member of the class of 1916.
The present Mrs. Sherman Washington Hill is a native of the Bluegrass State and was born in the City of Newport, on November 2, 1877. She is a daughter of Isaac N. Horner and wife, of Enid, Oklahoma. Her marriage to Mr. Hill occurred on January 20, 1907. Their home is now brightened by the sunny charm of a little daughter, Mary Frances, born January 17, 1913.
["A standard history of Oklahoma", Volume 3, 1916; By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]

GEORGE E. HODGE. In the business and social life of Cherokee, Oklahoma, George E. Hodge is widely known and respected, for it is here that, since 1914, he has been engaged as an undertaker. He has fine and amply equipped funeral parlors, and the quality of his work and the type of man that he is are such as to win for him only the high esteem that is his just due. Interested in practically every phase of the public life of Cherokee and of his adopted State, he takes part in the activities of a number of organizations important to the life and welfare of Oklahoma.

Mr. Hodge was born in McPherson, Kansas, on March 7, 1871, son of Charles E. and Maggie (Sevander) Hodge. His father, a native of Missouri, has long been a farmer and stock raiser, and is one of the leading citizens of McPherson, Kansas; while the mother is a native of Illinois. Charles E. and Maggie (Sevander) Hodge had two children: 1) George E., of record herein. 2) E. L. Hodge, D. D. S., who is practicing his profession of dentistry in McPherson, Kansas.

George E. Hodge received his early education in the McPherson County schools, and in 1905 went to Kansas City, Missouri, where he became engaged in work in an undertaking establishment. For three years he remained there, and then went, in 1909, to Aline, Oklahoma. Here he operated a furniture and undertaking establishment jointly, and he continued in business in Aline until 1914, when he came to Cherokee, which since that time has been his place of residence and has appreciated the contribution that he has made to its public life.

In addition to the undertaking business in which he is engaged, Mr. Hodge is active in social and fraternal affairs, being a member of the Free and Accepted Masons. In 1925 he was president of the Oklahoma State Undertakers' Association, an organization in which he has always been active since his advent to this State and in which he has held practically every position up to and including the chief executive post. He was a delegate to the national convention of presidents and secretaries of this and affiliated organizations, held in 1925, the year of his presidency, in Chicago, Illinois. Then, too, Mr. Hodge has shown a constant and unfailing interest in the civic affairs and in the development of the institutions of his town, in which he is an active Rotarian and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Mr. Hodge married, on January 27, 1909, Ada A. Thornburg, a native of Kansas. By this union there has been one child, Glenda Mae, born August 31, 1913.
(Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and Its People by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright; Volume IV; Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York, 1929; transcribed by Vicki Bryan)
L. R. Hughey

The science of stock breeding, under the ideal conditions offered in the agricultural regions of Oklahoma, has attracted the activities of some of the most progressive of the farmers of this state, who have directed their operations in such a capable and intelligent manner that this state is becoming famous for its stock farms. One of the foremost of these is to be found in Alfalfa County, thirteen miles south of the City of Alva, where is located the breeding farm of L. R. Hughey, a man who has made a lifelong study of his vocation and whose success is strong evidence of the value of a scientific training for those who make livestock growing their vocation.
Mr. Hughey is a product of the farm and has spent his entire life amid agricultural surroundings. He was born on his father’s homestead place in Clinton County, Ohio, November 12, 1874, his parents being T. H. and Sarah (Botts) Hughey, who are natives of the Buckeye State. Their lives have been passed in the pursuits of the soil, first in Ohio, and later in Nebraska, to which state they migrated in 1884, and from which they came to Oklahoma in 1899, being at the present time residents of Texas County. They have been industrious and energetic people all of their lives and are now in comfortable circumstances, passing their declining years surrounded by the comforts of life. They were married in Ohio in 1870, and have been the parents of seven sons and three daughters, namely: Elbridge; L. R., of this notice; Charles Otterbein; Alvira, who is deceased; William J.; Harley; Leota, who is deceased; Albert; Izette; and one son who died in infancy.
The early education of L. R. Hughey was secured in Clinton County, Ohio, where he divided his boyhood between attending the public schools and work on his father’s farm until he was ten years of age. In that year he accompanied the family to Nebraska, and there he completed his education in the public schools and continued his operations in agricultural work. From early boyhood he was interested in the raising and breeding of stock, and as he grew older he became convinced that scientific methods were the solution of the successful breeding of animals, and particularly of horses and jacks. Accordingly, he began to apply himself to the study of the subject, securing all information available pertaining to the matter, and finally entered Graham’s Scientific Breeding School, of Kansas City, Missouri, where he took a complete course and was duly graduated. In 1900 he left Nebraska and came to Oklahoma, where he purchased a property in Alfalfa County, 4½ miles from Dacoma and thirteen miles southeast of Alva, where he commenced the establishment of an up-to-date stock farm. As the years have passed he has added from time to his buildings and equipment until he now has a model farm of the most modern character, complete in every respect, with large breeding barns, all appliances and appurtenances of the most approved nature, and a number of innovations which are inventions of his own. Here have been bred some of the finest horses and jacks that have come out of the State of Oklahoma. In his stable now are to be found such noble and valuable animals as “Moselli,” an imported stallion, American No. 5117, Belgian stud book No. 58726, imported from Belgium in July, 1910, by Finch Brothers, of Vernon and Joliet, Illinois, and said to be one of the finest Belgian draft horses in this country; and “Governor Hadley,” a jack, No. 29292, a registered Black Mammoth animal, which was sired by “Cyclone II,” a Missouri animal. Mr. Hughey holds yearly demonstrations, during which breeders come from all parts of the country. In his own particular field has gained a rapidly-growing reputation, of which he may be well proud, for it has been gained through his own unaided efforts and the following out of ideas which originated with him.
Mr. Hughey was married April 15, 1895, to Miss Carrie Peas, who was born at Victoria, Illinois, daughter of Alonzo and Emily (Strong) Peas, of Johnson County, Nebraska. Four children were born to this union: Lynn LeRoy, Harold and Charles, who are deceased; and Rozella, who was born June 25, 1904, and is now attending the public schools. Mr. Hughey and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in the work of which he has taken a keen interest, having been superintendent of the Sunday school for five years. His fraternal connection is with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

["A standard history of Oklahoma", 1916; By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by Sandra Stutzman]



H. A. Kehn
H. A. KEHN
 is a Prussian by birth, and was born April 17, 1871. At the age of four years, before old enough to know much of life in his native land, he was brought by his parents to McPherson county, Kansas, where he grew to man's estate.  In the rural schools of the county in which he was bred, he received a limited education. Having an inherent love for knowledge, he attended Park College, at Parkville, Missouri, after which he studied law at the Nebraska State University, where he was graduated with the class of 1900. In his search for a favorable location, he came to the Indian Territory immediately after receiving his diploma, remaining for a brief time in its southern part. Coming from there to old Woods county, now Alfalfa county, he was for two years successfully engaged in the practice of his profession at Ringwood. From there, after spending a short time at Enid, Mr. Kehn located in Carmen, where he has since made rapid and honorable advance in his profession, becoming widely known as a lawyer of much ability and skill.  In addition to his private practice, Mr. Kehn is a notary public, city attorney, a writer of fire insurance, for four years was city clerk of Carmen, and clerk of the Carmen school board for an equal length of time, a record of service that shows his popularity in official positions. Fraternally Mr. Kehn is a member of the Knights of Pythias; and is a member, and the clerk, of the local lodge of the Modern Woodmen of America, which sent him as delegate to the State meeting, when he represented Alfalfa county. [A History of the State of Oklahoma, pg. 494 - Submitted by Linda Craig]

Harold Verne Keith
Harold Verne Keith was born in 1903 in Lambert, Oklahoma Territory. He attended Northwestern State Teachers College and the University of Oklahoma, where he earned a Masters Degree in history, and was also sports editor for the student newspaper. During the work for his master's thesis he interviewed 22 veterans of the Civil War who lived in the area. From 1922-1923, he was a teacher in the Aorita Consolidated School System. Keith served as the University of Oklahoma Sports Publicity Director from 1930-1969. He had a continuing interest in long-distance running. He died in Norman, Oklahoma of congestive heart failure on the 24 February 1998. He won the 1958 Newbery Medal for his historical novel Rifles for Watie, which is based on the interviews he did for his Master's thesis. Rifles for Watie also won the 1964 Lewis Carroll Shelf Award. (Source: "reference.com" - Submitted by Linda Craig)

H. B. Kliewer, a leading banker of Cherokee, was born, March 18, 1880, in southern Russia, and came with his parents, Abraham and Minnie (Nachtigal) Kliewer, to America while yet a boy.  Reared and educated in Central Kansas, H. B. Kliewer became interested in the art and science of profitably handling and managing money when young, and for a number of years was engaged in the banking business at Hillsboro, Marion county, Kansas. Coming from there to Cherokee, Oklahoma, in 1907, Mr. Kliewer organized the Alfalfa County National Bank, capitalizing it at $25,000, erecting the handsome two-story brick building in which it is located, and has since served as its cashier, a position for which he is admirably fitted by education and experience. Public-spirited, energetic and liberal, Mr. Kliewer is a valued member of the Cherokee Commercial Club, and takes an active interest in town and county affairs.  Mr. Kliewer married, in 1900, Mary Loewer, and they have one child, a son named Clarence.
[A History of the State of Oklahoma, pg. 494 - Submitted by Linda Craig]
LLOYD T. LANCASTER, M. D. Meeting with steady fortitude and optimistic outlook the hardships that are bound to face a general medical practitioner in a newly settled State where roads are frequently unbroken, or perhaps deep in mire, Dr. Lloyd T. Lancaster has given faithful and efficient service to the sick and afflicted about Cherokee and Avard since 1904, building, through his professional skill and his winning personality, a practice of enviable proportions. His ability has received public recognition in his appointment as Superintendent of Public Health in Alfalfa County.

Born in Bridgeport, Harrison County, West Virginia, September 24, 1878, Dr. Lancaster is the son of George and Mary (Bartlett) Lancaster, both of whom were natives of that State. The youngest of four children, the subject of this sketch grew up on his father's farm, attending terms of the local public school. For two years he studied at the West Virginia Normal School, then enrolled in the Baltimore University School of Medicine at Baltimore, Maryland, which institution granted him his Doctor of Medicine degree in 1904. The same year Dr. Lancaster came to Oklahoma, opening an office at Avard. He practiced here five years, then removed to the larger settlement of Cherokee. Dr. Lancaster is an influential figure in community life. He is a member of the Baptist church and a worker in the Rotary Club, and has attained to the thirty-second degree in the Masonic Order.

Dr. Lancaster married Ida Jane Waddell, of Kansas City, Missouri, on August 7, 1906. They became the parents of three children: 1) George Hulett, born October 23, 1907, died May 11, 1913. 2) Virginia Lee, born August 19, 1909. 3) Ruth Ann, born September 20, 1927.
(Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and its People by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright; Volume IV, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York 1929; transcribed by Vicki Bryan)


Henry A. Lile, M. D.
The medical profession is one which offers a wide field for the ambitious men of today, affording unusual opportunities for individual ability and intellectual gifts, and an Oklahoman who has already gained more than a local reputation especially as a surgeon is Dr. Henry A. Lile, for many years in practice at Aline, where he founded and is proprietor of the Lile's Hospital at Aline. Through his zeal, comprehensive knowledge and inherent talent, Doctor Lile has won the confidence of the residents of his section and has a large and representative practice.
It is his distinction to have come into the world in one of the typical Kansas residences of forty years ago, a dugout in Barton County, where he was born May 6, 1874, the first white male child born in that county. His parents were George and Mary Jane (Ferryman) Lile. His father was born in 1844 at Richmond, Illinois, his parents being natives of the same locality, became a farmer, and in 1871 removed to Kansas, locating as one of the first permanent settlers on a Government homestead in Barton County. For several years he and his family lived in a dugout, and while carrying on his operations as a pioneer farmer, he also hunted and killed the Buffalo which were still to be found in great numbers on the plains of Kansas. He was struck by lightning and killed on his farm near Great Bend in the same year that his son Doctor Lile was born. The mother of Doctor Lile, who married George Lile in 1869, was born at Richmond, Illinois, in 1849, and by her first marriage had two children, the daughter being Lena. She was born May 20, 1872, was educated at the University of Kansas in Lawrence, where she graduated in music, and for a number of years was a teacher in her native state until her marriage in 1897 to George Steele of Spearville, Kansas, where they now reside, and have two children, Opal and Lile. Doctor Lile's mother was married in 1877 to N. P. Smith, who was also a pioneer of Barton County, settling there in 1869, and is now a resident at Pawnee Rock. By this marriage there are four children: Edwin G., Garfield, Blaine and Earl Smith.
Barton County was still a new section of Kansas while Doctor Lile was growing to manhood. His early associations were those of a farm, and in 1893, at the age of nineteen, he graduated from the high school at Pawnee Rock. He then attended the Central Normal at Great Bend, and in 1896 entered the Barnes Medical College at St. Louis, where he was graduated M. D. in 1899. Returning to his home town at Pawnee Rock, he practiced there a short time, but during the same year removed to Oklahoma, locating for a time at the now extinct Village of Carwille, and in 1901 removed to Aline, which has been his home for the past .fifteen years. He possessed not only ability, but energy and a high degree of faithfulness in looking after his duties as a physician and surgeon, and soon had more than he could individually attend to. To gain facilities commensurate with the requirements of his large private practice he erected in 1907 a modern hospital at Aline, and in 1915 remodeled it on a larger plan and has now a large brick building, well arranged and furnished and with all the necessary equipment and system for modern hospital work. He now confines his practice to surgery, diagnosis and hospital work, and has performed a number of delicate and major operations. One that attracted especial attention was performed in 1915 at the Aline Hospital when he removed from one of his patients a tumor weighing 109 pounds.
Doctor Lile has interrupted his private practice a number of times for the purpose of pursuing postgraduate studies. At different times he has attended the National University of Arts and Sciences at St. Louis, the Illinois Post-Graduate School of Medicine in Chicago, the Barnes University at St. Louis, and the Tulane University at New Orleans. He is now serving as consulting surgeon for the Alfalfa County Hospital at Cherokee.
Doctor Lile was first married in 1899 to Alta French. In 1901 he married Etta M. Miller, who died in 1901. On March 22, 1902, he married Laura M. Huston, who was born in Illinois in 1885. Doctor Lile is a thirty second degree Scottish Rite Mason, and is worshipful master of Orient Lodge No. 190, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, at Aline, He stands high in medical organizations, has served as president and secretary of the Alfalfa County Medical Society, is a member of the Oklahoma State Society and the American Medical Association, and during territorial days was coroner for Woods County eight years, beginning in 1900, and was the only man ever elected to any office in that county for a longer period than two successive terms.
Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn


I. L. Magee, of Cherokee, the subject of this sketch, is an active member of this family, now serving with fidelity as district clerk. A Canadian by birth, he was born near Toronto, in 1865. At the age of five years, after four years residence in Monroe county, Missouri, he was taken by his parents to Linn county, Kansas, where he first attended school.  As a young man I. L. Magee lived with his parents in both Sedgwick and Rice counties, Kansas, and in the latter named county grew to manhood, finished his school work and was married in 1888. Having learned the printer's trade he followed it for fifteen consecutive years in Sterling, Rice county, working in every capacity from devil to managing editor. He was subsequently engaged in the newspaper business at Nickerson, Kansas, for a time, acquiring an excellent and practical knowledge of the work required as editor and publisher. Coming to the newer country of Oklahoma in 1901, Mr. Magee lived for a short time in Woodward county, from there, taking advantage of a most favorable opening for a journalist, coming to Helena, Alfalfa county. There establishing the Helena Free Press, he succeeded in making it one of the leading newspapers of the county, with an extensive circulation, and for four years and five months operated it on a good paying basis. When, in 1907, Mr. Magee was elected to his present position of district clerk, he moved with his family to Cherokee, in the interests of his new office.  Mr. Magee was for some time connected with the military service of the United States, belonging to Company A, Twenty-first Kansas United States Volunteers, in which he was commissioned first lieutenant, which position he held with credit until his regiment was mustered out in December, 1898. In 1900 he organized a company of National Guards at Sterling, Kansas, of which he was captain until he resigned to come to Oklahoma. He is quite prominent in fraternal organizations, belonging to the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, to the Knights of Pythias, to the Modern Woodmen of America and the Ancient Order of United Workmen. [A History of the State of Oklahoma, pg. 593 - Submitted by Linda Craig]


MORTIMER R. MANSFIELD. An efficient public official of long and distinguished record, Mortimer R. Mansfield is now county commissioner of Alfalfa County, Oklahoma, which position he is well qualified to fill by experience and proved ability. Mr. Mansfield has been a resident of Cherokee for almost twenty years, and is widely known in business and public life through all this section of the State.

Born at Fort Laramie, Wyoming, on March 20, 1870, Mr. Mansfield is a son of John M. Mansfield, who was born in Indiana, and of Hattie (Holderman) Mansfield, born in Ohio, the father being a stockman and farmer who resided in Kansas during his later days. There were four children in the family, as follows: 1) Walter H., of Logan, Oklahoma. 2) Mortimer R., of this review. 3) John D. 4) Zula, the wife of Tucker Bundsen, of New Cambria, Missouri.

Mortimer R. Mansfield acquired only a common school education for he was early called upon to begin the business of life, both parents dying at Harper, Kansas, when he was eleven years old. For a time he worked on local ranches, but in 1893, he came to Lambert, Oklahoma, where he engaged independently in farming and stock-raising until 1900. In that year he first took up the insurance business to which he has since given his time and attention. Mr. Mansfield has always been on the alert for larger opportunities than those which the present offered. Thus he was led to come to Oklahoma, and finally to give up the ranching and agricultural pursuits to which he was bred. In 1910 he removed to Cherokee, and here he has since made his home, having the greatest confidence in the future of Alfalfa County. He has built up his insurance business to prosperous proportions and is justly regarded by the entire community as an able business man of progressive type.

Mr. Mansfield has always considered service in the public interest no less worthy of his best attention than his own affairs, and has given much time to the various offices he has been called upon to fill. He was the first county clerk of Alfalfa County, and acted, subsequently, as county assessor. From 1916 to 1920 he was mayor of Cherokee, giving to its people a smooth and efficient administration, while for several years now he has been county commissioner of Alfalfa County. He is affiliated, fraternally, with the Free and Accepted Masons, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Modern Woodmen of America, while he also holds membership in several local organizations or clubs. He has been active in many phases of civic life, giving his hearty support to all worthy movements for advance and progress, and contributing generously to charitable causes.

Mortimer R. Mansfield has been twice married; (first), December 19, 1897, to Lecia Hanna, who died on August 12, 1924. They became the parents of two children: 1) Blanche, who died in 1925. 2) Georgia, a teacher in Chicago schools. Mr. Mansfield married (second), January 8, 1928, Bessie F. Davis, of Mansfield, Missouri, a daughter of John S. and Mary (Tippy) Davis, both natives of Illinois. Her father was a farmer who first came to Oklahoma with his family in 1898, and died in 1915. Her mother is still living, and makes her home in Cherokee. During the period from 1922 to 1926, Mrs. Mansfield was city clerk of Cherokee.
(Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and its People by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright; Volume IV, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York 1929; transcribed by Vicki Bryan)

Mrs. J. H Nelsonof Helena, Alfalfa County, Okla. Republican. Alternate delegate to Republican National Convention from Oklahoma, 1948.


Walter Owens of Cherokee, Alfalfa County, Okla. Republican. Alternate delegate to Republican National Convention from Oklahoma, 1952.


L. A. Salter, a well known and prosperous lawyer of Carmen, and the proprietor of one of the most influential newspapers published in this part of the state, the Headlight. Since coming to Oklahoma in the rush of 1893, he has been active in its development, aiding as best he could its every beneficial enterprise, and taking a personal pleasure and gratification in its rapid and substantial growth. A son of M. J. and Sarah (Hinkle) Salter, he was born near Marshall, Michigan, January 7, 1858.In 1871, just as he was entering his teens, L. A. Salter accompanied his parents to their new home in Kansas, where his father subsequently served for two terms as lieutenant governor of the state. After leaving the public schools, he entered the Kansas State Agricultural College, from which he was graduated with the class of 1879. Subsequently turning his attention to the study of law, he was admitted to the bar in Sumner county, Kansas, in 1887, five years after his removal to that place, and continued in the active practice of his profession in that locality for six years. In the meantime, however, he had thought seriously of establishing himself in an entirely new country, and when, in 1893, the race to the Cherokee strip, Oklahoma, was instituted, he joined in it with a will. Locating a claim adjoining the town of Alva, he held it down, and having opened an office in Alva engaged in the practice of law, building up a fine clientage. In 1898, during the exciting times of the Spanish war, Mr. Salter enlisted in Company M, First Territorial Volunteer Infantry, and served until mustered out with his regiment, in 1899.  Removing to Augusta, Oklahoma, in 1900, Mr. Salter there opened a law office, and also established the Headlight, which, in 1901, when the town of Carmen was started, he moved to this place, also taking up his residence here, and here continuing in the practice of law. His paper has the distinction of being the oldest paper in the county that is published under its original name, others that may be older in years having changed names once, or even, perhaps, more times than that. Mr. Salter devotes much of his time especially to his legal work, his sons now having the entire management of the paper, although a part of his attention is given to the advancement of the interests of the Union Real Estate & Townsite Company, of which he is at present an agent.  Mr. Salter married, in 1880, in Kansas, Susanna M. Kinsey, a woman of culture, ability and strong force of character, who while a resident of Kansas had the honor of serving as mayor of Argonia, being the first woman in the United States to hold that position. Mr. and Mrs. Salter are the parents of eight children, namely: Clarence E., Frank A., Win A., Melva, Bertha, Lewis, Leslie, and William. [A History of the State of Oklahoma, pg. 491 - Submitted by Linda Craig]

Lewis A. Salter
Lewis A. Salter, lawyer and one of the owners of the Headlight, in Carmen, Oklahoma, has been identified with this region since 1893. when he Hayed an active part in the opening of the Cherokee Strip. He was one who made the race for land, and he located on a tract half a mile south of the Town of Alva. where he lived for seven years, and then removed to Augusta and established the Headlight. A year later he moved the plant to Carmen, and here he has since continued. Mr. Salter was born January 7, 1858, on a farm in Calhoun County, Michigan. and he is the son of Melville J. and Sarah E. Hinklel Salter.
Melville J. Salter was born in 1838 in old New York State, and he came to Michigan with his parents in early life. His father was David N. Salter, all his life a farmer, and Melville Salter was reared to the same industry. He attended the public schools, though they offered little in the way of educational training beyond the limited knowledge of the "Three R's," and when he was still in his teens he left home and in 1852 made a trip with a party by wagon to the gold fields of California. He remained there a few years, experiencing only indifferent success as a prospector, and then returned to Michigan, making the long trip via the Isthmus of Panama. Until 1871 Melville Salter remained in Michigan. His years in the West had wrought in him a kind of discontent of his early home, and he went to Kansas, then undeveloped to any extent, and bought land in Neosho County. He was active in the development of Southeastern Kansas, and was for a number of years president of the Settlers' Protective Association. Mr. Salter was a republican, and in 1874 he was elected to the office of lieutenant-governor of Kansas, his reelection following in 1876. The year 1877 brought his resignation, for he had been appointed registrar of the United States Land Office at Independence, Kansas, which post he accepted and filled most creditably until 1884, when he resigned following a change in national politics at Washington. Returning to his Kansas home he went into the merchandise business and for some years was successfully occupied. He died at Pawnee, Kansas, in 1896, when he was only fifty-eight years old. He had been a valuable citizen of his adopted commonwealth from the first, and was a lifelong member of the Baptist Church.
Melville Salter was married in Marshall, Michigan, in 1857, to Sarah E. Hinkle, the daughter of Jeremiah and Rebecca (Allison) Hinkle. Mrs. Salter was born in Pennsylvania on January 8, 1834, and she died at Carmen, Oklahoma, at the home of her son, on May 5, 1909. Like her husband, she had long been a member of the Baptist Church. They were the parents of three children, all living at this writing. Lewis A., of this review, was the first born. Albert Lincoln, the second son, was born on November 7, 1860. He married Emma Davis in 1881, and they have seven children,—Ralph, Edna, Gertrude, Albert, Raymond, Chester and Emma Louise. The second child, Edna, died young. William Salter, the third son, was born in 1865. He married Cora Snyder in 1885 and they have one child,—Florence.
Lewis A. Salter went from Michigan to Kansas with his parents in 1871. He was educated mainly in the Kansas schools and the Kansas State Agricultural College in Manhattan, finishing there in the class of 1879. In 1882 he opened a hardware and agricultural implement store in Argonia, Kansas, where he remained until 189.'!. studying law in spare hours. In 1887 he was admitted to practice at Wellington, Kansas, and in 1893 he went to Oklahoma, in time for the opening of the Cherokee Strip in that autumn. In 1900 he established the Headlight in Augusta, but that town proved a failure, and Mr. Salter moved the plant bodily to Carmen, which gave splendid promise for the future. He is still one of the owners of the paper, but he devotes himself mainly to the practice of law.
Mr. Salter has been a republican all his life, and the Headlight under his management is a strong and influential voice of the party, as well as being the pioneer paper of Alfalfa County. He was a justice of the peace for two years in Carmen and at present is filling the office of city attorney in a creditable manner.
Mr. Salter is a veteran of the Spanish-American war. He enlisted on July 20, 1898, at Kingfisher, Oklahoma, and was mustered out on February 20, 1899, at Albany, Georgia. He went in as a private in Company M, First Territorial Regiment, recruited from Oklahoma Territory, Indian Territory, Arizona and New Mexico. He was appointed quartermaster's sergeant on the organization of the company and served in that post until the end of the war.
On September 1, 1880, Mr. Salter was married at Silver Lake, Kansas, to Miss Susan M. Kinsey, daughter of Oliver and Teresa Ann (White) Kinsey. Mrs. Salter was born March 4, 1860, in Ohio, and was educated in the Kansas State Agricultural College at Manhattan. It was there she met her husband. Mrs. Salter is a woman of culture and brains. She was elected mayor of Argonia, Kansas, in 1887, being the first woman ever elected to the office of mayor in the United States. She has always been active in social and club circles, and is a leader in Carmen.
To Mr. and Mrs. Salter have been born seven sons and two daughters, of whom brief mention is made as follows:
Clarence E., the eldest, was born June 3, 1881. Frank Argonia, born February 13, 1883, was the first child born in Argonia, Kansas. He is editor and manager of the Headlight. He married Edythe Kelley in 1911 and they have one child, Winifred. Winfred A. was born on November 20, 1885. He is a linotype operator in Oklahoma City. Melva O., born March 20, 1887, was married in 1913 to William C. Harris, and now lives in Detroit, Michigan. They have one child—Madora Harris. Bertha Elizabeth, born in March, 1889, was educated at the Oklahoma State University and the Kansas State Agricultural College. Lewis S., born on March 20, 1891, is a teacher of music in the University of Oklahoma at Norman. Leslie E. was born on May 10, 1895. William E. is the youngest. He was born on May 10, 1897. The fourth born, a son, died in infancy.
[
Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]


Roy Schoeb — of Cherokee, Alfalfa County, Okla. Republican. Delegate to Republican National Convention from Oklahoma, 1960.
PETER STEIN.
The broad experience of Peter Stein in many different fields of human endeavor has placed him in an excellent position to be of great value to his fellow-men in the important office that he now holds, that of president of the Farmers’ National Bank, of Cherokee, Oklahoma.
He was born in Keokuk, Iowa, on July 28, 1870, son of Henry and Barbara (Walerich) Stein, both natives of Prussia. His parents came to America in 1856, and on this continent settled in Iowa, where they took up farming and general stock-raising as a means of earning livelihood. They became the parents of eight children, of whom Peter was the youngest. He, like his brothers and sisters, attended the country schools, and he worked on the home farm with his father until he was eighteen years of age. Then, with two brothers, he leased seven hundred acres of land, on which the three of them proceeded to conduct a general agricultural business and to raise stock. His eldest brother died two years afterward as the result of an unsuccessful operation, and thereupon Peter and the other brother who had engaged in this enterprise carried it on for two more years, after which Peter bought his brother’s interest. From then he conducted the farm for four years independently; then he bought two hundred and forty acres of land in Washington County, Iowa, where he remained for thirteen years, engaged in farming and stock-raising. During the latter part of this time he was cashier in the State Bank at Keota, Iowa. It was in 1908 that he came to Cherokee, Oklahoma, where he bought a three hundred and twenty acre plot near the city. At the time of writing (1929) he owns 1,760 acres of land, four hundred of which he keeps under active cultivation. In 1926 he was made president of the Farmers’ National Bank, a position which he has filled in a manner that has brought him praise and renown and has at the same time marked him as a leading citizen of the community in and near Cherokee.
In addition to his activities as farmer and banker, Mr. Stein has participated in the civic and political affairs of his State. In his political views he has aligned himself with the Republican party, whose policies and candidates he consistently supports. In his capacity as county commissioner, he was instrumental in having the County Building constructed of Bedford stone and marble, with the result that architecturally this edifice is one of the outstanding structures of the State, especially from the point of view of its powerful construction. The citizen of the county showed their appreciation of his work by presenting him with a beautiful gold watch, which, modest and retiring though he is by nature, he treasures as one of his most valued possessions. Having been a member of the School Board since his advent to Cherokee and active at all times in educational affairs. Mr. Stein is now president of this board. His religious faith is that of the Christian church.
Peter Stein married (first), on November 2, 1894, Emma Kleet, a native of Iowa, who died on March 3, 1901. By this union there were four children: 1. Edith, wife of John Leibrand, Jr., of Helena, Oklahoma. 2. Genevieve, wife of Louis Seibring, of Breckenridge, Texas. 3. Elsie, wife of M. E. Overstreet, of Cherokee. 4. Ira H., geologist, of Ada, Oklahoma. For his second wife, Peter Stein took Ora B. Lewis, by whom there was one child, Gladys, now living with her mother. Mr. and Mrs. Stein were separated some years ago. His third wife was, before her marriage, Mabel O. Lewis, and by this third marriage there are five children: 1. Clifford A. 2. Ruth E. 3. Helen Maxine, deceased. 4. Donnie Ray. 5. Leroy Clark.
(Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and Its People, by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright, Volume IV; Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York, 1929; transcribed by Susan Geist)

GUY D. TALBOT.
From legal editorial work to the practice of law Guy D. Talbot stepped with a certainty of himself that marks the adventurous spirit and who seems to be told when a correct choice is made, for he has taken a high position in his profession in Oklahoma, since coming to Cherokee in the spring of 1907 and beginning practice. He is fortunate in the possession of personal qualities that commend him to the people and in a knowledge of the law that he applies with success in his handling of causes before the bar. For more than twenty years he has been steadily gathering fame and friends, until today he is held to be a leader in his profession and a citizen of great value to the community.

Born in Syracuse, Nebraska, May 29, 1876, Guy D. Talbot is a son of Joseph Wilson and Evelyn (Reeve) Talbot, his father having been a native of New York State and his mother of Ohio, who were the parents of two children, his sister now being the widow of Gustavus Babson, of Wellesley, Massachusetts. The father was a farmer, and educator, now deceased, as is his wife. Their son was educated in the public schools of Nebraska and afterward attended the University of Nebraska, from which he was graduated with the class of 1900. In that year he removed to St. Paul, Minnesota, where he became a member of the editorial staff of the West Publishing Company, remaining there for six years and then coming to Oklahoma and settling in Cherokee. Here he was again admitted to the bar and began the practice of law, in which he has since been engaged. He is affiliated with the Blue Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Commandery, Knights Templar; and the Knights of Pythias.

Guy D. Talbot married, October 10, 1901, Alice McCully, of St. Paul, Minnesota. Their children are: 1. Arthur Wilson, born November 15, 1903, died in April, 1918. 2. Reginald A., born August 19, 1905, died in 1907. 3. Evelyn A., born October 3, 1908, serving as secretary in her father’s law office. 4. Marjorie Glen, born April 16, 1918.
(Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and Its People, by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright, Volume IV; Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York, 1929; transcribed by Susan Geist)

Samuel C. Timmons
The life story of Samuel C. Timmons is one that is inspiring to contemplate, for it shows the evolution of a man's success by various strenuous stages from the humble rank of newsboy to the influential position of bank president. It is one more fascinating version of the fine American story of perseverance, thrift, industry, ambition: and these are the stuff of which democracy and the worthiest aristocracy are made.
One paragraph we must give to a consideration of the life of Mr. Timmons' father and his immediate family. Josiah Timmons was a native of Indiana, where he was born in 1820. He entered and was graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point. It was therefore natural that he should become prominent in the Civil war when that conflict absorbed all the best energies of our nation. Josiah Timmons gave gallant service as a lieutenant, even though he paid the price of several of the best years of his prime and thereafter endured the effects of those years of strenuous exertion, excitement and exposure. In 1860 he had married, in Danville, Ohio, Miss Elizabeth Clayton, daughter of John and Elizabeth Clayton, natives of Ohio. Elizabeth Clayton Timmons was a woman of beautiful character, a loyal churchwoman who all her life was a communicant of the Episcopal Church. She was a worthy helpmeet of the husband who was forced so soon after their marriage to part from her in response to the call from the army's front. After the war, Josiah Timmons turned to teaching as the profession by which he and his family must live. In that worthy but modestly paid work he gave noble service, his pedagogical life being spent chiefly in Carrolton, Missouri, and in Kansas. He died at Wichita, in the latter state, in 1898; and his widow closed her earthly life at the same place on September 20, 1911. Their family had numbered seven children, of whom four survive. One son, Frank, is now deceased, as are also two daughters. Mary and Jessie. Minnie Timmons became Mrs. N. P. Evans, now widowed; Emma is Mrs. M. J. Shields, of Savannah, Georgia; Druzilla, Mrs. Joseph Mosbacher, resides in Coffeyville, Kansas, where her husband is a prominent merchant.
It was while Josiah Timmons and Elizabeth, his wife, were residents of Carrolton that the schoolmaster's home was brightened by the advent of the child who received the name of Samuel C. The date of his birth was December 16, 1873, and he was one in whom rapid development of mind and talents was early noted. His was the good fortune of professional tutelage at home, and such was his progress that he was permitted to aid in his own support at the early age of twelve. The size of the young family and the frailty of his father's health were no discouragement to the ambitious lad, but rather served as a spur to his best efforts. It was in Wichita, Kansas, that he first fared forth as wage earner. After three years of this unpretentious association with newspapers, the alert lad entered the office of the Wichita Daily Journal, where he swiftly and thoroughly learned the trade of printing. He spent several years, observing, from that excellent vantage point, all practical phases of newspaper production. In 1892 he became manager of the Daily Star of Oklahoma City. In 1895 he returned to Kansas and in Valley Center he established a paper which he christened The Index. As both editor and publisher of this sheet, he remained in Valley Center for three years. At the end of that time, he purchased The Wichita Star, which he edited for one year. He then became reporter of The Daily Beacon, another Wichita newspaper, with which he remained for several years. In 1905 he bought The Ingersoll Review, of which he had charge for three years. At the conclusion of that successful period, Mr. Timmons became interested in Aline and her affairs and purchased The Chronoscope. Ever since that time he has been one of Aline's most patriotic citizens and has steadily grown in influence and in the esteem of his fellow citizens. In 1909 he was appointed postmaster at Aline, where he held that important and responsible office for the term of four years. In 1913 he became president of the Bank of Aline, one of the leading financial institutions of Alfalfa County. He is also one of the proprietors of Aline's only drug store. It is thus easily to be seen that, efficient in his several important capacities, Mr. Timmons is really one of the indispensable as well as leading citizens of Aline.
Mr. Timmons' home life began in 1899. On May 5th of that year, he was united in marriage with Miss Delia McPherson, daughter of Samuel and Rachel McPherson, of Sedgwick County, Kansas. Mrs. Timmons is a native of Illinois, where she was born September 18, 1880. She and her husband are the parents of one child, Margaret Lois, who was born June 27, 1902, at Valley Center, Kansas.
The Timmons family are social leaders in the community. Mr. Timmons is a popular member of both the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. He is one of those to whom the citizens of Aline and the surrounding communities look for leadership in coming growth and progress of this section of Oklahoma.
["A standard history of Oklahoma", Volume 3, 1916; By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]
WEBSTER WILDER- One of the leading citizens of Cherokee, Oklahoma, is Webster Wilder, who has been engaged in the practice of law here for a number of years and was formerly county attorney of Alfalfa County.
A member of an old and highly important Kansas family, he is a son of the Hon. Daniel Webster and Mary (Irvin) Wilder. Hon. Daniel Webster Wilder was born at Blackstone, Massachusetts, July 15, 1832; graduated at Boston Latin School in 1852; took Bachelor of Arts degree at Harvard University in 1856, and a Bachelor of Laws in 1857. He came to Elwood, Kansas, in 1857, and was the first probate judge of Doniphan County, Kansas. A personal friend of Abraham Lincoln, he entertained that states-man upon his first visit to Kansas; and after Lincoln's nomination and election to the presidency, he appointed Mr. Wilder surveyor-general of Kansas and Nebraska. Mr. Wilder v/as also State auditor of Kansas for the two terms covering the years from 1872 to 1876; superintendent of insurance for Kansas from 1887 to 1891; and one of the founders of the Republican party in Kansas in 1859. Daniel Webster Wilder was primarily engaged in literary work, however, having edited the "Free Press" and practiced law simultaneously at Elwood, and having later become editor and one of the publishers of the "Free Democrat," at St. Joseph, Missouri, in August, 1860. In December, 1860, he had his whole office force indicted for violation of the laws of a slave State and advocacy of emancipation. He then returned to Kansas and became editor of the Leavenworth "Conservative," an anti-slavery organ, and in 1863 received his appointment from President Lincoln as surveyor-general. In 1865 he became editor of the "Evening Express," at Rochester, New York; but three years later returned to Leavenworth and was editor of the Leavenworth "Times and Conservative." In September, 1868, he was elected president of the Missouri Valley Associated Press, to which office he was reelected in 1870, in which year he became editor of the Fort Scott "Monitor." He was one of the incorporators of the "Kansas Magazine" in 1871, and became a frequent contributor to this periodical; in 1875 founded the Kansas Historical Society, of which he was later president and for many years a director; and in 1891, upon his retirement from public office, he settled in Kansas City and published the "Insurance Magazine." He went to Hiawatha in 1882, and established the Hiawatha "World." Mr. Wilder was author of a number of books: "Annals of Kansas," which went through two editions, the first in 1875, and the second in 1885; the "Life of Shakespeare," published by Little, Brown and Company, of Boston, Massachusetts. He also was one of the compilers of Bartlett's "Familiar Quotations," which has gone through many editions and is still an authoritative work of its kind. He lived his later years in Hiawatha, Kansas, where he died on July 15, 1911. His wife, Mary (Irvin) Wilder, was born in Chicago, Illinois, in 1846, and was one of the oldest settlers of that State. The Hon. Daniel Webster and Mary (Irvin) Wilder had five children: 1. Ellen, who became the wife of the Rev. C. P. Connolly, of Rockford, Illinois. 2. Carter, of La Tronche, France. 3. Samuel, now deceased. 4. Webster, of whom this is a record. 5. Sarah, who became the wife of Burns Uhrich, of Independence, Kansas.
Webster Wilder was born in St. Joseph, Missouri, on October 16, 1877, and there spent his early boyhood days. He was graduated from the University of Kansas in the class of 1898 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and in 1901 received his Bachelor of Laws degree from that institution. In 1901, the year of his graduation from law school, he came to Sapulpa, Oklahoma, where, in 1902 and 1903, he was city recorder. He got out the first bond issue of $40,000 for that town. In 1904 he removed to Kansas City, Missouri, where he spent two years as traveling salesman. In June, 1906, he returned to Oklahoma, settling this time at Carmen. He was then nominated by the Republican party for the office of county attorney of the then proposed county of Alfalfa, was elected, and for four years served in that office in a manner that brought advantage and credit to the county and State. Since the expiration of his period of service in that position, he has been engaged continuously in the private practice of law, which takes up his full attention and time. He makes his headquarters in Cherokee, the county seat. Mr. Wilder is also active in the civic and political affairs of Cherokee and Alfalfa counties, where he is ready to take part in any movement which he believes designed to increase the well-being and prosperity of his fellow-men. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and his religious faith is that of the Congregational church.
Webster Wilder married, on September 30, 1909, Lou Kephart, a native of Kansas. They have two children: 1. Webster, Jr., born April 13, 1911. 2. Jane, born February 26, 1913. (Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and its People by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright; Volume IV; Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., New York 1929, page 503; transcribed by Tammy Clark)

O. C. Williams is a native of Iowa, his birth having occurred in 1873, in Boone county.  During his earlier life, Mr. Williams was manager of a hotel in Boone, Iowa, for a number of years, in that capacity satisfying the wants of the traveling public. Going from there to Wellington, Kansas, he was for nine years employed as a mechanic by the Santa Fe Railroad Company. In 1903 Mr. Williams located in Cherokee, and was here actively and prosperously engaged in the hotel and restaurant business for four years, proving himself a most genial and accommodating host, popular with his patrons, and esteemed by the public.  When he came to Cherokee, Mr. Williams had but fifty dollars to his name. A man of excellent business tact and judgment, wide-awake and alert,  By wise investments, good management, and shrewd  foresight, he has since accumulated a goodly estate, owning now about eight thousand dollars worth of Cherokee property. is actively identified with actual growth and prosperity of Cherokee, Oklahoma, as a dealer in real estate, being associated with the enterprising firm of Bradley & Son. Beginning life for himself as a boy of fourteen years, he has steadily climbed the ladder of success, rising from a condition of comparative poverty to one of comfort and plenty, in the meantime becoming one of the representative men of a more than ordinarily intelligent community.   He is a member of the Cherokee Commercial Club, and belongs to the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. [A History of the State of Oklahoma, pg. 492 - Submitted by Linda Craig]

Charles Luther Wilson mayor of Cherokee, Oklahoma, and editor of the Messenger, was born in Pendleton county in the state of West Virginia on the 13th day of February, 1868, a son of George Thomas and Mary (Eunice) Wilson. The father was a school teacher, also followed mercantile pursuits.
Charles L. Wilson received only the advantages such as are afforded in the common school system. He worked on a farm and could only attend school "when it was too cold weather to work." He accompanied his parents, when six years of age, from West Virginia to Illinois, and in 1885 to Harper county, Kansas. At the age of sixteen years, he went to Stevens county of the last named state is 1887, and went into a printing office, January 1, 1888, and the following March was made business manager of the
Hugo Herald.  A long illness with typhoid fever from which he was financially reduced, found him almost stranded and he went to the "Cherokee Strip" and again engaged in merchandising upon a capital of thirteen dollars. He continued in this pursuit at Driftwood, being also postmaster for a time, and finally moved to Cherokee and sold his stock, October, 1905 at Cherokee, where he has since edited the Cherokee Messenger.  It almost goes without saying, that Mr. Wilson is a stanch defender of Democratic principles, for in 1905 he was elected mayor of Cherokee against fearful odds, thus showing his popularity as a worthy citizen. He was connected with the building of the D. E. & G. Railroad into Cherokee; was manager in the campaign for G. W. Wood, of the Eighth district, who was elected by a majority of 239, while the district polled five less than three hundred votes on the Republican ticket. There were ten Republican papers, and one Democratic newspaper supporting the Republican candidate.  He was happily united in marriage, April 13, 1890, to Ella D. Calvert, a popular young woman, who is admired by a large circle of true friends and acquaintances.
The children born to bless this home circle are as follows: Frank C., born at Mayfield, Kansas, May 28, 1894; Sarah Eunice, born at Driftwood, Oklahoma, March 1, 1896; Charles Russell, born at the last named place, November 1, 1898; Lizzie, born at same place, May 10, 1900; Mary Lois, born at Cherokee, February 2, 1902; Frances Willard, born at Cherokee, June 10, 1904; Clifton Luther, born at Cherokee, September 17, 1906. Mary Eunice and Lizzie died aged eighteen months.
The strongest characteristic of Mr. Wilson seems to be his industry, while his moral sensibilities are keenly developed. He is a strict Prohibitionist and acts fearlessly when duty demands. He advocates the right, as he is given to see the right-a good motto for one and all. He is charitable and considerate of others' feelings and takes supreme delight in performing a kind act toward a worthy person. He was instrumental in the division of Woods county and the formation of Alfalfa county, destined to become one of the finest counties in the Union of States. 
[A History of the State of Oklahoma, pg. 494-495 - Submitted by Linda Craig]

Leslie Wood came to Oklahoma in the famous run of 1893, secured a claim, and held it down for five years. Locating then in Cherokee, he embarked in journalistic work, for a number of years owning and managing a Democratic newspaper. This he subsequently sold to Mr. Newman, who changed it to the Cherokee Republican. In 1905, Mr. Wood started in the real estate business in Cherokee, and as a dealer in realty has met with most gratifying pecuniary results, his transactions being extensive and lucrative. He is also engaged in the abstract business, in which he is liberally patronized, his skill and ability in correctly making abstracts being well known. Mr. Wood, true and loyal to the highest interests of both town and county, takes much interest in their upbuilding, and generously supports all beneficial projects. Fraternally he is a member of the Knights of Pythias. [A History of the State of Oklahoma, pg. 493 - Submitted by Linda Craig]
HERBERT W. WRIGHT. Though still relatively young, Herbert W. Wright has already achieved wide success in the legal field in Oklahoma, and now, as county judge of Alfalfa County, brings to the local bench a deep knowledge of the law, with a mind of judicial and analytical bent. His services in this capacity to the people of the section have proved repeatedly of greatest worth.

Mr. Wright was born at Goltry, Alfalfa County, Oklahoma, on April 9, 1902, a son of William S. and Dora (Bonnell) Wright, both natives of Indiana. They came to Oklahoma in the pioneer days of the opening of the Cherokee strip, and here they still make their home. There were six children in the family, as follows: Herbert W.; Orville E., now of Goltry; Alta L., a teacher of music, who was killed in an automobile accident in 1927; Ione H.; Lee O.; Ruby Maxine.

Herbert W. Wright, of this record, attended the public schools of his birthplace, and following graduation from the Goltry High School, undertook the course of study in business college at Hutchinson, Kansas. Later he completed a correspondence course in law, and in 1926 was admitted to the Oklahoma bar. He began practice at Cherokee almost immediately, quickly winning the confidence of the community, as his qualifications became apparent, and his reputation spread. In a short time he built his following to prosperous proportions, and devoted all his time and attention to a general practice until his election as county judge of Woods County. In politics Mr. Wright supports the Democratic party, and as the standard bearer of this party, he was elected county judge. He has always considered service in the public interest no less worthy of his best attention than his own affairs, and for this high conception of civic duty he is honored quite as much as for his many successes. Mr. Wright is active in all movements
for advance and progress, while with his family he worships in the faith of the Congregational church.

On March 7, 1924, Herbert W. Wright married Maude L. Hicks, a native of Alfalfa County. Mr. and Mrs. Wright are the parents of one child. Herbert W., Jr., born at Cherokee on December 5, 1926.
(Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and its People by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright; Volume IV, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York 1929; transcribed by Vicki Bryan)




HOME

Visit the National Genealogy Trails Site

© Genealogy Trails