Oklahoma Genealogy Trails    
    A Proud Member of the Genealogy Trails Group
 

Oklahoma Biographies 3

FRED S. CALDWELL

Admitted to the bar of Oklahoma Territory in 1903, Mr. Caldwell has since been engaged in the successful practice of his profession in Oklahoma City, is one of the well fortified and influential members of the bar of the capital city, being a member of the representative law firm of Scothorn, Caldwell & McRill.
Mr. Caldwell is a scion of a staunch Scotch-Irish family that was founded in America in the colonial period of our national history, the original progenitor having settled in Virginia, and a branch of the family having later been established in New England. Benjamin Caldwell, great-grandfather of him whose name introduces this review, was born at Rutland, Vermont. Milton P. Caldwell, the grandfather, likewise was a native of the old Green Mountain State, whence he removed to the State of New York, and finally he moved with his family to the West and settled in Wisconsin as a pioneer.
Fred S. Caldwell was born in historic old Monroe County, Michigan, on the 11th of November, 1876, and is a son of Alfred P. and Clara (Jones) Caldwell, who now maintain their home in Oklahoma City, where the father is living virtually retired. Alfred P. Caldwell was born in Wisconsin, eventually became a prosperous farmer in Michigan, from which state he removed to Decatur County, Kansas, in 1879. There he continued to be identified with the basic industries of agriculture and stockraising until 1891, when he established his home at Longmont, Colorado, which state continued to be his place of residence until his removal to Oklahoma.
Fred S. Caldwell was about three years old at the time of the family migration from Michigan to Kansas and twelve years of age when removal was made to Longmont, Colorado, where he availed himself of the advantages of the public schools until he had completed the curriculum of the high school. He thereafter completed a course in Colorado College, at Colorado Springs, in which institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1900 and from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy. In the summer of the same year he went to Cripple Creek, that state, where he devoted his attention to the study of law and mining until September, 1901, after which he was for one year a student in the law school of the University of Denver. Thereafter he held an executive position in a savings bank at Colorado Springs about one year, and in the meanwhile completed his work of preparation for the legal profession.
In 1903 Mr. Caldwell came to Oklahoma Territory and at Guthrie, the territorial capital, he took the bar examination and was admitted to practice, the solidity of his legal learning at the time having been indicated by the fact that he passed the required examination with the highest mark of all of the class of thirty applicants. Immediately after his admission to the bar Mr. Caldwell established his permanent residence in Oklahoma City, where he has since given unremitting attention to the practice of law and where he has gained a staunch vantage-place as one of the representative attorneys and counselors at the bar of the Oklahoma metropolis and capital city. He has proved himself capable, honorable and resourceful in all of his professional activities, has achieved noteworthy victories in many important cases in the various courts and, with a true appreciation of and regard for the true ethical values, he has signally honored the profession of his choice.
A citizen of high ideals and mature judgment, Mr. Caldwell has given his co-operation in the furtherance of the general welfare of the community, both as a lawyer and as a loyal and public-spirited citizen. He became influential in the councils and activities of the Anti-Saloon League at the time of the prohibition campaign that was made when Oklahoma was preparing for statehood, and for a number of years he has been a valued member of the board of trustees of the Oklahoma Anti-Saloon League. In June, 1908, at the solicitation of the representative members of this organization, Governor Haskell appointed Mr. Caldwell prohibition-enforcement attorney, under the enforcement act that was passed at the first session of the State Legislature and which is commonly designated the "Billups law." Concerning his service to the new commonwealth in this important office, the following pertinent statements have been made, and the data are well worthy of preservation in this article: "In discharging the duties of this office Mr. Caldwell was early confronted by the inter-state commerce barrier to the enforcement of the prohibition laws of Oklahoma, and numerous suits were brought in the Federal courts [?sic], by the railroads as well as by foreign liquor dealers who wished to market their goods in this state. As a result of this important and harassing litigation, which finally terminated in the Supreme Court of the United States, Mr. Caldwell became an authority and legal expert on inter-state commerce law, and in his final report to Governor Haskell he submitted a draft of a proposed bill to be presented in Congress and to provide for a solution of the vexing problem of inter-state commerce in intoxicating liquors, and in his report he also recommended that the Oklahoma Legislature should memorialize Congress upon this subject, and that this draft of a proposed bill be offered as a concrete suggestion for definite congressional legislation.
"Early in 1911 E. C. Dinwiddie, national legislative superintendent of the Anti-Saloon League at Washington, D. C., and a close personal friend of Mr. Caldwell, presented to Hon. E. Y. Webb, a Representative in Congress from North Carolina, a copy of the proposed measure as drafted by Mr. Caldwell. Mr. Webb promptly recognized the intrinsic value and consistency of the measure, and in the first session of the Sixty-second Congress he introduced it in the House of Representatives, as the original Webb bill. In December, 1911, a convention of representatives from the Anti-Saloon League and other temperance organizations was held in Washington, and largely through the efforts of Mr. Caldwell and his clear and convincing exposition of the intricate legal questions involved, the Webb bill was agreed upon as the measure upon which all should unite. In March, 1912, at the request of the Anti-Saloon League of America, Mr. Caldwell appeared before the judiciary committees of both the House of Representatives and the Senate and argued for the passage of the Webb bill, besides giving cogent reasons to establish its constitutionality. This effective argument was used by Mr. Clayton, chairman of the house judiciary committee, in the fight for the bill which he led on the floor of the national House of Representatives. The Webb bill was passed by both houses of Congress, was vetoed by President Taft, and was repassed over this veto by considerably more than the necessary two-thirds vote. For his ability, zeal and faithful service in this connection Mr. Caldwell merits the enduring gratitude of the friends of temperance and prohibition throughout the entire United States."
During the earlier years of his professional activities in Oklahoma City Mr. Caldwell conducted an individual or independent practice, but since the 1st of February, 1911, he has been associated with John W. Scothorn and Albert L. McRill, under the firm name of Scothorn, Caldwell & McRill. They control a large and important civil practice and make a specialty of fire-insurance law. The well appointed offices of the firm are in the Insurance Building. Mr. Caldwell is a member of the American Bar Association; is affiliated with the Woodmen of the World and the Modern Woodmen of America; and both he and his wife are zealous members of the First Presbyterian Church of Oklahoma City, in which he holds the office of deacon.
Mr. Caldwell was married on November 29, 1906, to Miss Blanche Atchison, daughter of Mrs. Pauline Atchison, of Colorado Springs, Colorado, and the two children of this union are Robert and Fred S., Jr.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)
 

 

ALBERT E. DAVENPORT, M. D.

Is a citizen who has not only added to the distinction of Oklahoma City in professional and intellectual fields, but through his high character and broad talents has carried its good name into state councils. A resident of this city since 1908, he is now recognized as one of the leading representatives of the medical profession, and in the performance of the duties of the various offices to which he has been called has demonstrated an eagerness to be of use to the interests of his adopted community and its people.
Doctor Davenport was born near Mount Vernon, Texas, June 23, 1873, and is a son of William H. C. and Julia C. (Kennon) Davenport. His father, a native of Georgia, entered the army of the Confederacy during the war between the North and the South, and after the close of that struggle, seeking a location in which to regain his lost fortunes, went to the little community of Mount Vernon, Texas. There he opened the first store, took an active and helpful part in the movements and enterprises that served to promote the growth of the city, and remained in the mercantile business until his death, which occurred October 8, 1910. While still a resident of Georgia, Mr. Davenport was a member of the association and of the committee thereof which in 1857 sent the Rev. Dr. J. S. Murrow as a missionary to the Indians. Mrs. Davenport passed away in 1888.
Albert E. Davenport received his early education in the public schools of Texas, following which, in 1891 and 1892 he took a preparatory course at Russellville, Kentucky. In the latter year he entered the University of Nashville, Tennessee, where he graduated in his literary work in 1894, and then entered upon his medical studies at the University of Louisville, Kentucky, from which institution he was graduated in March, 1897, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine.
Returning at once to Mount Vernon, Texas, Doctor Davenport was engaged in practice there for a few months, when he went to Paul's Valley, Indian Territory, and from 1897 until 1901 was engaged in practice with a measure of success. His next location was Tishomingo, Indian Territory, where he remained until 1908, and since that year his field has been Oklahoma City, where he has steadily arisen to an enviable place in the ranks of his calling. At this time he occupies well appointed offices at No. 716 State National Bank Building.
In 1907, at the commencement of statehood, Doctor Davenport was appointed by Governor Haskell a member of the State Board of Health, and when the change was made therein in 1908 he was made a member of the State Board of Medical Examiners, but resigned there-from in 1909. In 1908 he became superintendent of the Oklahoma County Board of Health, and retains that position to the present. His practice has been broad and general in its character. Doctor Davenport has not ceased to be a close and careful student spending much of his time in independent research and investigation and being a valued member of the Oklahoma County Medical Society and the Oklahoma State Medical Society. He is a democrat in his political views, and his religious connection is with the First Baptist Church of Oklahoma City. Doctor Davenport is well and widely known in fraternal circles, belonging to Oklahoma City Lodge No. 36, A. F. & A. M., all the Scottish Rite bodies up to the thirty-second degree, and Oklahoma Consistory, Valley of McAlester, as well as Indian Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.
In 1899 Doctor Davenport was united in marriage with Miss Julia A. Chism, a daughter of Jesse Chism, a well-known Chickasaw Indian who built what is known as the "Chism Trail." When William Chism died his three young daughters were taken into the household of and reared and educated by Gov. D. H. Johnston, governor of the Chickasaws. Mrs. Davenport's sisters are Mrs. Cora McKeel, of Ada, Oklahoma; and Mrs. W. T. Ward, of Tishomingo, Oklahoma. Doctor and Mrs. Davenport have no children. They reside at No. 500 East Park Place, Oklahoma City.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


 E. N. JONES

By following a well-directed and systematic course of study and by making events and circumstances serve rather than oppose him in his ambitious course, Mr. Jones has come to a realization of one important step in his career?a law office of his own and a successful practice. He belongs to that class of determined young men in the professions in Oklahoma who are giving a fine account of themselves in the communities where they live, and who through constant effort to realize an ambition of high ideals and earnest purpose are, in the aggregate, making Oklahoma a state of notable men. Like many other successful young professional men, he re-enforced the foundation of his career with a training for teaching, and spent three successful and profitable years in that calling.
E. N. Jones was born in Coryell County, Texas, in 1890, and is a son of Jesse S. and Adella (Jones) Jones. His father, a native of Texas, is a real estate dealer at Vanoss, Oklahoma. Besides E. N. Jones there are the following children: Mrs. J. W. White, wife of a railroad man at Byars, Oklahoma; Mrs. B. Norvell, whose husband is a farmer at Vanoss, Oklahoma; Sybil Marvin, Johnnie V., Jack, Ulysses and Sol Philip. The parents of these children are members of the Christian Church.
On both sides of the family farmers have predominated for several generations, and Mr. Jones was reared on a farm. His father settled in Oklahoma in 1893 and consequently Mr. Jones has spent all his life since infancy in the territory and state. His education came from the public schools, and subsequently he completed a literary education in the East Central State Normal at Ada, and did his work as a teacher in the schools of Garvin and Pontotoc counties. His first school was taught when he was eighteen. He completed a course in law in the Cumberland University of Lebanon, Tennessee, and was admitted to the bar in Oklahoma June 20, 1913. He began his practice soon afterward at Ada. While engaged in teaching the pursuance of a home study and correspondence course gave him a fundamental knowledge of the law which enabled him to complete in a very short time the work required by a LL. B. degree at the Cumberland University.
Mr. Jones was married February 7, 1915, to Miss Minnie Duty, of Ada, whose father was a well-to-do farmer of Paris, Texas. Mrs. Jones was for several years a teacher in Choctaw and Pontotoc counties. Mr. Jones is affiliated with the independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World, the Ada Commercial Club, and the Pontotoc County and Oklahoma State Bar associations. He is attorney for the Vanoss Oil & Gas Company and the Diamond Oil & Gas Company, of Oklahoma City.
In politics a democrat, Mr. Jones has as yet developed no definite ambition for public life, and is content to pursue the delightful work of his profession. While in school he was much interested in politics. At Cumberland University he was secretary and treasurer of his junior class and was also chairman of the Interstate Club of students.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




D. K. HATHORN

Oklahoma is a state of "new-comers." Only a small percentage of the young business men of this section have been reared or educated here. Twenty-three years ago, where now flourishes the Town of Ravia, the wild grass grew waist-high, while the woods were inhabited chiefly by deer, wolves and wild turkeys. The habitations of white men were scarce, and the red man was monarch of the land. It was at that time that the subject of this sketch, then ten years old, came to this locality with his parents. He was born in Roanoke, Randolph County, Alabama, in 1882, and is a son of Hugh and Sarah (Taylor) Hathorn. His father was a native of Alabama and his paternal grandfather of Ireland. The lure of an easy fortune to be made in the Indian country drew Hugh Hathorn with his family to this section, and he settled on a tract of land owned by Governor Wolf of the Chickasaw Nation, near where Ravia sprung into being several years later. Here the Hathorn family remained for fifteen years and here young Hathorn grew to manhood, acquiring such elementary knowledge as was dispensed by the country schools of that period. This, however, was later supplemented by a course in the Selvidge Business College at Ardmore, Oklahoma. In 1904 he entered the First National Bank of Ravia as bookkeeper. Here he showed adaptability to the business and persevering industry, which in due time brought him promotion, and in 1910 he was elected cashier of the First National Bank, which succeeded the First National Bank. His next promotion was in 1915, when he was elected active vice president of the institution, in which position he is now serving. The bank has a capital stock of $12,500 and is the only one in the town that is situated in the midst of a rich and growing agricultural region. The other officials are: Harold Wallace, of Ardmore, president, and Clyde Faught, cashier. For eight years Mr. Hathorn has served as city treasurer and for a similar length of time as clerk of the school board. Taking a lively interest in the encouragement of agriculture and the improvement of agricultural methods, he is serving as a member of the Johnston County Fair Association, and has done good work in this connection.
Mr. Hathorn has three brothers and three sisters, all of whom are residents of this section. Sam Hathorn is a blacksmith at Ada. Ray and Gordon Hathorn are engaged in oil operations in the Glennpool field. Mrs. Winnie Weaver is the wife of a farmer near Ravia; Mrs. Mabel Herrin, the wife of an oil man in the Glennpool field, and Miss Minnie Hathorn is a telephone employee at Stratford. Mr. Hathorn belongs to the Odd Fellows and Modern Woodmen of America lodges, also to the Johnston County, Oklahoma State and American Bankers associations. Although still a young man his mind is a mine of information in regard to early events in Ravia. He recalls the fact that E. A. Forbes built the first house here in 1895, that the town was established on the land of Joe Ravia, an intermarried Chickasaw citizen, from whom it acquired its name, and that Ardmore, thirty miles distant, was the trading point for farmers and merchants here for a number of years; also that Tishomingo twenty years ago was an inland town of no commercial importance. Mr. Hathorn was married in 1907, in Ravia, to Miss Lena Fields. He and his wife are the parents of one child, Ruby, now five years old.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)

C. A. LAMM

One of Oklahoma's thriving cities that have made great progress in municipal improvements along with reduced taxation under the commission form of government is Bartlesville. The first commission mayor as well as the present executive officer of the municipality is C. A. Lamm, whose administration has commended itself to citizens of all classes and who has the satisfaction of knowing that Bartlesville is a greater and better city as a result of the six years since the commission charter was adopted.
C. A. Lamm was born in Omaha, Nebraska, July 13, 1871, a son of Charles L. and Josephine (Stich) Lamm. His father was born in Baden Baden, Germany, in 1845, and his mother in Switzerland in 1843. She crossed the ocean to America in a sailing vessel in 1862, landing in New York City, while Charles L. Lamm came over in 1864, landing at New Orleans. They were married at Omaha, Nebraska, in 1870. The mother died in June, 1912, at Chanute, Kansas, while the father died in July, 1915. They located on a farm near Chanute in Neosho County in 1880. Of their eight children, seven are living, four sons and three daughters.
C. A. Lamm, the oldest of the sons, spent his boyhood on a farm, and had to walk three miles to school. His schooling was limited in time and otherwise, but in spite of lack of early advantages he has made himself a practical and efficient worker and one who can be depended upon in every undertaking. At the age of twenty-four he learned telegraphy in the offices of the Santa Fe Railway, and following that was for ten years operator or agent, sometimes combining the duties of both positions. In 1905 Mr. Lamm came to Bartlesville as joint agent for the Missouri, Kansas and Texas and the Santa Fe Railroad, and continued in the railroad service for one year after locating in this great center of the oil industry in Northern Oklahoma.
He then took up another line of enterprise, and became connected with the Oil Well Supply Company, operating for five years in the mid-continent field. From business he was drawn upon for services as the first mayor under the commission form of government, taking office October 31, 1910. Under the Bartlesville charter there are three commissioners, and the chairman of the commission is mayor. Mr. Lamm is now serving his third term, and at this writing has one more year to serve. The first term was of only six months' duration, as provided for by the charter. Mr. Lamm gives all his time to the municipal government, and is constantly looking after the details of municipal work and planning for future betterment. In the past five years Bartlesville has gone ahead rapidly in practically all departments of civic enterprise, and at the same time the citizens instead of being burdened with increased taxes have actually had their tax bills decreased. At the last election Mr. Lamm led a field of six candidates for the office of mayor, and was elected by a handsome majority. Mr. Lamm is six and a half feet tall, and is often referred to as the tallest mayor in Oklahoma, and is just as efficient as an officer as he is long in physical proportions.
Mr. Lamm is vice president of the Oklahoma Municipal League. He is a Wilson democrat and the only office he has ever held is the one he is now filling. Fraternally he has taken thirty-two degrees in Scottish Rite Masonry and is also a Knight Templar and member of the Mystic Shrine and a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. On October 11, 1900, he married Miss Mary Troxel, who was born at Longton, Elk County, Kansas. To their marriage have been born two children: Ruth Josephine, now five years of age; and Carl, who died at the age of one and a half years.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)

M. W. PEARL, A. B., A. M.

Among the highly educated and practical teachers of Oklahoma should be numbered the mathematics teacher of the Oklahoma City High School, M. W. Pearl, a man whose tenacity of purpose and well directed energy brought him through vicissitudes of financial embarrassment in his early years and crowned him with two college degrees. He is a scholar as well as teacher and has done much original research in the field of psychology.
Born at Dixon, Illinois, June 22, 1875, he is a son of James M. and Mary E. Pearl. His father in early life was a carpenter, but later became a farmer. The paternal ancestry has participated in all wars in which the United States has been engaged back to the revolution, and Mr. Pearl himself is a veteran of the Spanish-American conflict. His mother, who was born at Portland, Maine, and graduated from the Dixon Normal at Dixon, Illinois, was a woman of remarkable intellect, and after graduating from a medical college in San Francisco, California, was for twenty years a practicing physician in that city. Mr. Pearl has one brother, Byron W. Pearl, now engaged in farming near Muskogee, Oklahoma.
His high school education was obtained in the public schools of San Francisco. In 1893 he graduated from high school, and a number of years later won the degree Bachelor of Arts from the Iowa State Teachers' College. His degree, Master of Arts, was awarded by the University of Oklahoma in 1913. His professional career began in 1894, and for three years he was assistant to the principal of the Lincoln High School in San Francisco. In his high school graduating class he stood eighth and was among those permitted under the law to teach in the public schools with a high school diploma as a substitute for a teacher's certificate. On being given a choice of positions as teacher, he chose mathematics, a subject in which he has extensively specialized. Later for three years he was superintendent of schools at McCallsburg, Iowa, and for one year superintendent at Gilbert, Iowa. After removing to Oklahoma, he was for several years a resident in Garfield County, and while there was defeated by only a narrow margin as candidate for county superintendent of schools. In 1913 he was elected superintendent of schools at Walter, Oklahoma, and the following year was re-elected, but was compelled to secure the abrogation of his contract on account of the ill health of his wife, which made it necessary for both of them to seek climate of Colorado. Returning to Oklahoma in 1914 Mr. Pearl was chosen assistant superintendent of the Harrah public schools. While teaching in Iowa he served several times as president of the Teachers' Association and has always taken an active interest in educational association work. While superintendent of schools at McCallsburg, he served a term as mayor, and in that time conducted and won a notable campaign against local vice and corruption. It was from Iowa that Mr. Pearl went into the army during the Spanish-American war. He enlisted April 25, 1898, and was with the Seventh Army Corps in Cuba until mustered out May 13, 1899. He served under Gen. Fitzhugh Lee, and in the same corps were Col. William J. Bryan and Col. Theodore Roosevelt.
At Pontiac, Illinois, September 3, 1903, Mr. Pearl married Miss Musetta M. Markland. Mrs. Pearl is a finished musician, being a graduate of four well known conservatories, and also has the distinction of being the first woman to finish the course of the law department of the University of Oklahoma, graduating in 1915. Prior to her graduation she had been admitted to the Oklahoma bar, and in 1915 took up regular practice in Oklahoma City, where she still is practicing. Mrs. Pearl is a graduate of the State Normal School at Bloomington, Illinois, and for ten years prior to her marriage was a successful public school teacher. She belongs to a prominent family, and one of her relatives was governor of Ohio.
Mr. Pearl is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and has affiliations with the Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges. He belongs to the Oklahoma County Teachers' Association and the Oklahoma Educational Association. As a student of psychology he has pursued his investigations for a number of years and eventually expects to obtain a higher degree with a thesis on that subject. This thesis he designs as the basis of a text book which he hopes to publish. Mr. and Mrs. Pearl reside at 2408 South Harvey Street, in Oklahoma City.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)

CHARLES D. FERGUSON, M. D.

As specialists in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat probably no firm of medical practitioners in Oklahoma enjoys a better reputation and a larger practice than that of Ferguson and Ferguson. These are two capable physicians, both men of broad experience in general as well as in special fields of practice, with fine endowment of natural ability and broad and liberal training both in America and abroad. Dr. Charles D. Ferguson is the junior member of the firm, and joined his brother in practice at Oklahoma City in 1907.
Charles D. Ferguson was born at Port Stanley, Ontario, in 1874, a son of Dugald and Sarah (Shearer) Ferguson. His father was born in Canada of Scotch parents and his mother was a native of Pennsylvania. The Fergusons were pioneers in Western Ontario, having come from Argyleshire, Scotland. Dugald Ferguson was reared in Ontario, and spent his entire active career as a progressive farmer.
Dr. Ferguson attended the public schools of Port Stanley and the collegiate institute at St. Thomas, Ontario. In 1901 he was graduated M. B. from the University of Toronto, and with this equipment he came to the United States and began practice at Cameron, Texas. That was his home for about six months, following which for about two years he was house surgeon for the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Hospital at Temple, Texas. For three and a half years he did a general practice at Silsbee, Texas. Like his brother, Doctor Ferguson was early led to specialize in practice, and in 1907 gave up his business in Texas in order to take post-graduate work for six months at the Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat Infirmary at Chicago, and in the New Orleans Post-Graduate Hospital. In 1910 he again interrupted his practice in order to pursue his studies and observations in the Royal Ophthalmic Hospital in London, England. Doctor Ferguson joined his brother, Edward S., at Oklahoma City, and together they have confined their attention to their specialty in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat.
Doctor Ferguson is a member of the Oklahoma State and County Medical societies and the American Medical Association. He is affiliated with the Masonic order, the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and belongs to the Oklahoma City Golf and Country Club and the Oklahoma City Men's Dinner Club. In June, 1910, he married Miss Maud Munson. Her father is William B. Munson of Denison, Texas, one of the most prominent men in the northern part of that state, long identified with the real-estate business and also a banker at Denison. Doctor Ferguson and wife, who have no children, reside at 3090 West 16th Street. His offices are in the State National Bank Building.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)

EUEL MOORE

The possibility of a successful future in the forthcoming State of Oklahoma, and the inspiration of his teacher, who afterwards became successful in law, led Euel Moore to complete his education in the University of Texas, after graduating from the high school at Clarksville, Texas, in 1904. The tentative plans of preceding years were completed in the year 1912, when Mr. Moore came to Coalgate, Oklahoma, and entered into partnership with George Trice, the friendship and strong attachment for whom had been formed while the latter was a teacher in the public school at Bagwell, Red River County, Texas. The firm has prospered in the new state and its members rank among the representative lawyers of the southeastern section of the commonwealth.
Euel Moore was born in Jackson County, Alabama, November 2, 1884, and is a son of Charles H. and Mary (Stephens) Moore, both of whom are yet living, in Red River County, Texas. The paternal ancestry is of English origin and the generations whose lives have been passed in America have been men of thrift and intellect, the greater number having been engaged in the field of agriculture, although they have also contributed to the professions and to the marts of trade and commerce. The paternal grandfather of Mr. Moore was a soldier in the Confederate army during the war between the North and the South. His paternal grandmother sprang from a stock of Holland Dutch and on his mother's side there was a predominancy of Scotch and English. Representatives of both sides of the house came to America shortly after the close of the War of the Revolution.
Mr. Moore's fundamental education was obtained in the public schools of Red River County, Texas, and the high school at Clarksville, in that state. After completing the course of study at the latter school, in 1905 he entered the University of Texas, completing the course in the law department in 1909. During the term of 1909-10 the honor of quiz master was conferred upon him by the university. In 1909 he was admitted to the bar in Texas, but did not begin practice until he came to Coalgate in 1912 and entered into partnership with Mr. Trice. In the university he took an active interest in democratic politics, in view of the close association of that science with the profession of law, as well as in athletics. Having been reared on a farm, he was possessed of the physique and vigor of the successful athlete, yet he never permitted that subject to interfere with the serious study of those subjects more vital to the profession of his choice.
Mr. Moore's fraternal connection is with the Blue Lodge of the Masonic order at Coalgate. He is a valued member of the Coal County Bar Association and stands high in the esteem and confidence of his fellow-members in that body. Unlike many others, he did not cease to be a student when he left college halls, but has continued to apply himself closely to study of law and its many perplexities. While he has taken an active interest in matters pertaining to the public and commercial welfare of the city, he has not taken a leading or conspicuous part.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)

MONTY F. COTTINGHAM

The rural problem-i. e. the problem of maintaining in our farm and village communities a Christian civilization with modern American ideas of happiness, efficiency and progress-is the fundamental question Prof. Monty F. Cottingham is assisting to solve by devoting his schoolroom time to its many angles. It is an established fact that the rural school is the foundation stone of our education system, and it is therefore, to the rural school that the rural problem must go. Character is taught both in the home and in the school, and it is character the Professor Cottingham seeks to implant in his students, feeling that this quality in the years to come will bring about the realization of the importance of a rural civilization.
For eight years Mr. Cottingham has given his time and energies to the teaching of rural schools in Texas and Oklahoma, and at the present time is superintendent of the Wade schools with four teachers under his direction. During the summer months he attends the summer school of the Southeastern State Normal School of Durant, in order to keep in touch with the educational brotherhood and to note the various advances constantly being made in the profession.
Monty F. Cottingham comes of pioneer Texas parentage and was born in Collin County, Texas, at Graybill, January 28, 1887. His parents, P. and Theodosia (White) Cottingham, natives of Alabama and Texans for forty years, settled first in Red River County, Texas, where the father was engaged in farming until his removal to Collin County in the same state. There he also followed farming for many years, and won success through able management and constant industry. He married in Collin County Miss Theodosia White, and they became the parents of five children, as follows: Artie, who became the wife of Dr. L. W. Watkins, a practicing physician of Leonard, Texas; Nettie, who became the wife of John League, now of Albany, Oklahoma; Vernon, who is a resident of Eastern Texas; Monty F., of this review; and Oma, who is the wife of Guy Thompson of Leonard, Texas.
The paternal grandfather of Professor Cottingham was a soldier in the Confederate army with three of his sons. Professor Cottingham was educated in the common schools of Texas, and was graduated from the East Texas Normal College with the degree of Bachelor of Science in 1909. In securing his normal course, Mr. Cottingham taught school during the winter months in order that he might secure the means to pursue his studies in the summer, making a specialty of mathematics. Since he has been teaching, however, history has grown more important in his mind, and at present Oklahoma history occupies a foremost place among his favorite departments of research. Professor Cottingham came to Oklahoma in 1911, and immediately began to devote himself to the teaching of the rural youth. In 1914 he was elected to fill the superintendency of the Wade schools, and in 1915 was re-elected to succeed himself in that position. In his school career he has seen his salary advanced from $40 to $100 a month. He is a general facorite with teachers, pupils and parents, and possesses not only that rare faculty of being able to impart his own broad knowledge to others, but has also executive and business ability of a high order. With such qualifications, he should rise much higher in his chosen vocation.
In 1906 Professor Cottingham was married to Miss Lorena Blankenship, and to this union there have been born four children. In addition to his labors as an educator, Mr. Cottingham has also been busily engaged in ministerial work, being a minister in the Missionary Baptist Church. He began to preach when only twenty years of age, and has preached in various communities, where he has always made a favorable impression, being a concise, convincing and forceful speaker. He is at present serving as clerk of the First Bryan County Baptist Association. As a politician, he is a stanch democrat, and uses his influence for the advancement of good citizenship and clean government.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)

WILLIAM GRANT ROGERS

One of the first men to interest themselves in the townsite of Dewey and since extensively engaged in farming and the real estate business at that place, William Grant Rogers has spent practically all his life among the Cherokee people, and an eighth portion of his own blood is of that race. He has been one of the influential men in the old Cherokee Nation as he is also in the County of Washington. In the early days he served for two years as a posseman under Gratton and Robert Dalton when they were United States marshals at Fort Smith, Arkansas, and his work as a deputy helped to secure a large number of prisoners.
William Grant Rogers was born April 13, 1865, on Spring River, near Humboldt, on what was then known as the neutral land of Kansas. These lands were after-wards sold to the United States Government by the Cherokee Nation for what was known as "bread money." Mr. Rogers was one of seven children born to Hilliard and Patsy (Fields) Rogers, the former a native of Georgia and the latter of Tennessee. His father was a government interpreter for the Cherokee Indians in Georgia, and had been educated partly in the Cherokee and partly in the English schools. When William G. was one year old the parents came into what is now Oklahoma, locating on Caney River, and three years later both parents died. Mr. Rogers was then taken to live with his sister, Mrs. N. F. Carr, and for four years was in the Cherokee Orphans' Home. This home was originally the residence of Chief John Ross, and when Mr. Rogers was a student there its grounds comprised about three acres.
After leaving school he returned to Bartlesville and entered the employ of Mr. Carr as a cowboy. He drove cattle in those days all over the country, to the states of Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas, and even yet can rope a steer or break a horse like a professional. This was his principal work until he was twenty-six years of age, and since then he has been engaged in farming for himself. About 1908 he took up the hardware business at Dewey, and conducted the Rogers Hardware Company until he sold out in 1914 to R. V. Myers. Mr. Rogers has a forty-acre homestead or allotment, which in 1903 he platted and it is now known as the Rogers Addition to Dewey. Mr. Rogers gave the first deed that was recorded in the Town of Dewey to R. P. Crawford, a ranchman of Washington County. His wife and five of the children have received allotments of eighty acres each on the Caney bottoms, and these children now have eighty acres of land as their share of the old tribal possessions. Mr. Rogers now gives his time largely to the supervision of his farm and to dealing in real estate, with office at Dewey.
On May 21, 1891, Mr. Rogers married Lilly Washington, a daughter of William and Eliza (Connor) Washington, who were both Delaware Indians. Mrs. Rogers was born on Grand River in what was known as the Delaware District near Prairie City, May 30, 1875, and is the only daughter of her parents still living. Mr. and Mrs. Rogers have seven children: Lula May, who was born May 15, 1892, and still lives at home; William Emmett, who was born April 22, 1894, lives at Dewey, and by his marriage to Bessie Knight has one child, Patsy Bess, born in 1915; Rilla Blanche, born June 18, 1896, living at home; Eliza Jane, born December 22, 1898; Arthur Mavin, born May 18, 1903; Joseph, born December 29, 1905; and Dewey L., born December 28, 1908.
Mr. Rogers is a democrat, and was honored by election to the office of town treasurer of Dewey for one term, from 1908 to 1909. His wife and three of the daughters have a decided natural talent as musicians. Mr. Rogers is a first cousin to W. C. Rogers, prominent as chief of the Cherokee Nation.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


Back To Biographies

Back to


 the Main Index Page for Oklahoma
©Genealogy Trails