Oklahoma Genealogy Trails    
    A Proud Member of the Genealogy Trails Group
 

Oklahoma Biographies 5

 CHARLES HOOPES

A specially efficient corps of executive officers is in charge of the affairs of the Oklahoma Railway Company, which owns and operates one of the finest electric street-car and interurban systems in the West, and of this representative corporation in Oklahoma City Charles Hoopes is secretary and auditor. He is not only one of the most alert and progressive business men of the Oklahoma capital but his popularity and influence are enhanced by his distinct civic loyalty and public spirit.
Mr. Hoopes claims the old Keystone State as the place of his nativity and is a scion of a family that was founded in America in 1686, the original progenitor having immigrated from England in that year, as a member of the Society of Friends and as one of the members of the colony which came to the New World with William Penn. Charles Hoopes was born at New Brighton, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, on the 22d of February, 1877, and in the same city was also born his father, Henry Hoopes. His mother, Ellen (Cooke) Hoopes, was born in Lewiston, New York. The father was a gallant soldier of the Union in the Civil war, as a member of a regiment of Pennsylvania volunteers.
After duly availing himself of the advantages of the public schools of his native state, Charles Hoopes finally entered the University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and in the law department of this institution he was graduated in 1905, with the degrees of Bachelor of Laws. Soon afterward he became associated with the legal department of the Union Fidelity Title Company of Pittsburgh, in the offices of which corporation he held the responsible position of assistant title officer until November, 1910, having been connected with the company for fifteen years, in the meanwhile having also done an appreciable amount of general law business in an independent way. In November, 1910, Mr. Hoopes resigned his position in Pittsburgh and came to Oklahoma City to accept the office of secretary of the Oklahoma Railway Company, in which his older brother, Edward Hoopes, of Pittsburgh, is a large stockholder. In addition to serving as secretary of this important corporation Mr. Hoopes has also been its auditor since the 1st of January, 1914, and his professional ability and fine executive powers have both come into effective play in the handling of his multifarious and responsible duties. He is a steadfast, reliable and progressive business man of broad view and unswerving integrity of purpose, and in the city and state of his adoption he has gained a wide circle of friends in both business and social circles. He takes vital interest in all that touches the welfare of the community. He is a communicant of the Protestant Episcopal Church and his wife holds membership in the Presbyterian Church.
At New Brighton, Pennsylvania, on the 23d of September, 1911, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Hoopes to Miss Anne Jackson, daughter of Samuel F. and Mary Jane (Dunbar) Jackson, of that place.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman) 

 

JOHN H. LINEBAUGH

A man of high intellectual and professional attainments, Judge Linebaugh is to be designated not only as one of the representative legists and jurists of Oklahoma, but also as one of the pioneer members of its bar, since he engaged in the practice of his profession at Atoka, Indian Territory, in 1898. He has continued his residence in this thriving little city, the judicial center of the county of the same name, during the long intervening years, has been a valued and honored factor in civic and material development and progress in this section of the state, where he is now serving on the bench of the Twenty-sixth Judicial District, and where he commands the unqualified respect and veneration of all who know him. A deplorable physical infirmity has not been permitted to curb his spirit or his usefulness, and he has proved himself in the fullest extent the friend of humanity. He has aided many young men in making their way to positions of honor and usefulness in connection with the varied activities of life, has shown at all times the deepest human sympathy and tolerance, has accounted well in all phases of his stewardship and his life offers both lesson and incentive.
Nearly half a century has elapsed since the community of Atoka, one of the oldest in the Choctaw Nation, was established, and yet an approximate quarter of a century had fallen into the abyss of time ere the community reached a stage of progress whereby a city government could be created, with a mayor as its executive head. In Atoka have lived some of the really great men of the Choctaw Nation, and here for many years was maintained the most important seat of learning in that vigorous and progressive nation, yet when Atoka put on the garment of municipal government a white man became its mayor. That mayor was Judge John H. Linebaugh, to whom this brief sketch is dedicated.
The modern Indian in Oklahoma retains little more than a dim recollection of the prejudice of his father against the white man, and he has stepped aside many a time out of deference to the white man when he believed the latter possessed superior qualities of leadership in thought and action. There is a breath of important history in this fact, in that it shows the effect of civilization and education upon the loyal and high-minded Indian and a contrast in outline with the minority element of the Indians who still defy and despise every form of organized government. To have been the first mayor of a town that was the seat of the joint conventions that led to the signing of the historic Atoka Treaty and the supplemental treaty-two of the most important and far reaching documents that have ever been executed in the West in connection with Indian affairs-is a distinction that is worthy of prominent record on the pages of Oklahoma history. Judge Linebaugh has been a valued counselor and leader in community affairs during the entire period of his residence at Atoka-has been a veritable guide and friend to all who have come within the sphere of his influence. He assisted in the organization of the first banking institution at Atoka, the Atoka National Ban, which in later years had been succeeded by the present Oklahoma State Bank of Atoka.
In the decade prior to the admission of Oklahoma as one of the sovereign states of the Union, the influence of Judge Linebaugh was constantly cumulative in connection with community and general governmental affair sin the aspiring efforts that culminated in the desired end, and his activities contributed much to the triumph of the democratic party over the republican party in the election of a delegate from his home county to the constitutional convention-a triumph of special significance in view of the well established belief that the district had been created by a republican Congress for a republican delegate. This district was laid out by three judges-appointed by Congress. As a partial reward for his party services the democrats of Atoka County after the admission of Oklahoma to statehood, elected Judge Linebaugh the first county judge of the county, a position which he retained four years. In the meanwhile Hon. Robert M. Rainey, who first represented the county in the State Legislature, had been appointed to the bench of a new judicial district created in this section of the state. In 1914 Judge Rainey was a candidate for a position which he retained four years. In the meanwhile Hon. Robert M. Rainey, who first represented the county in the State Legislature, had been appointed to the bench of a new judicial district created in this section of the state. In 1914 Judge Rainey was a candidate for a position on the bench of the Oklahoma Supreme Court, and the democrats of the district elected Judge Linebaugh to his present office on the bench of the Twenty-sixth Judicial District, which comprises the counties of Atoka, Coal and Johnston and embraces a part of each of the former Choctaw and Chickasaw Indian nations.
Judge Linebaugh was born at Bardstown, Nelson County, Kentucky, on the 4th of December, 1861, and is a son of Rev. Daniel Haden Linebaugh and Margaret Elizabeth (Sweets) Linebaugh. His father, who was a native of Tennessee, passed the greater part of his mature life as an itinerant minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and at one time he filled the office of presiding elder. In 1871 Rev. Daniel H. Linebaugh removed with his family to Texas and established his home at Temple, Bell Bounty, and in the Lone Star State the father died. The mother died in Oklahoma. He and his wife passed their lives secure in the affectionate regard of all who came within the sphere of their benign influence. Rev. N. L. Linebaugh, who is a brother of the Judge, is a degree man, having won the LL. D. and D. D. degrees. He is now a leader in the general organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. He studied law and initiated a successful career at the bar, but later abandoned the legal profession to enter the ministry of the church mentioned.
At Temple, Texas, Judge Linebaugh began the study of law and laid the foundation of a successful professional career. He devoted in his youth careful attention to the study of medicine, but never engaged in active practice. Later he studied theology and was ordained a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The Judge is a local preacher at this time, preaching quite regularly. His studies of medicine and theology had greatly broadened his mental ken, but his ambition further prompted him to prepare himself for the legal profession. In 1891, at Belton, Texas, he was admitted to the bar, by Judge William A. Blackburn, then presiding on the bench of the Twenty-seventh Judicial District of that state. He initiated the practice of law at Temple, Texas, where he continued his activities successfully until 1898, when he came to Indian Territory and established his permanent home at Atoka. On the 7th of October, 1882, he had been stricken with paralysis, as the result of an attack of cerebro-spinal meningitis, and from that time, about two months before he attained to his legal majority, he has never been able to walk. Enforced confinement but spurred his ambition for learning, and his physical infirmity has been but slight handicap to one of such indomitable spirit and such abiding faith in the wise orderings of the Everlasting Will. His own infirmity has sweetened and broadened the mental makeup of Judge Linebaugh, rather than tending to pessimistic embitterment, and he has thought and lived and learned, has gained appreciation of the real values in human life and has striven earnestly and with much of inspiration to be helpful to others. To him and his wife no child of their own has been vouchsafed, but, with characteristic loyalty and affection they have reared in their home eight boys whom they took under their care for the purpose of educating them and training them to lives of usefulness. To Judge and Mrs. Linebaugh there comes compensation and enduring gratification in the knowledge that all of their boys have entered upon successful careers. In the office of Judge Linebaugh, Hon. Haden Linebaugh, now United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Oklahoma, studied law and made ready for his successful work as a representative of his chosen profession.
During his administration on the bench of the County Court of Atoka County, Judge Linebaugh, careful of the finances of the office, caused all of its expenses to be paid out of fees received, and over and above this expenditure the office under his administration earned for the county $10,000 in the four years of his service. He witnessed the opening of the United States Land Office at Atoka and later the establishing here of the enrolling office of the Mississippi Choctaws who sought allotments in Indian Territory. He wielded much influence in connection with the establishing of the office first mentioned. Judge Linebaugh is an appreciative and valued member of the Atoka County Bar Association and the Oklahoma State Bar Association, is a resourceful and stalwart advocate of the principles and policies of the democratic party and both he and his wife are most zealous and devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in connection with which he is at times still called upon to exercise his ministerial functions.
At Atoka, on Christmas Day of the year 1898, was solemnized the marriage of Judge Linebaugh to Miss Annie Young, of Magnolia, Arkansas, and she has been to him a devoted companion and helpmeet.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)



JAMES ARTHUR LOVE

The Chickasaw Nation is proud of what its distinguished families have done to develop a land of happy and permanent homes, and among the foremost of those families that have had a leading part in this noble work, the Love family stands well to the forefront. For this family, the County of Love, with Marietta as its county seat, was named. One branch of the family is represented prominently at Colbert in the person of James Arthur Love, a young man who gives splendid promise of carrying on the example of the family in the matter of progress and development, and already is he proving himself a factor in the community.
James Arthur Love was born on January 18, 1887, at Colbert, Oklahoma, then the old Indian Territory. His father was Henry Love, a quarter-blood Chickasaw, and his mother was Jennie Gooldsly, of white blood. Henry Love was a farmer and stockraiser all his life. He was born in Mississippi and came to Indian Territory in 1832 with the Chickasaws. He served in the Chickasaw Senate after locating in this region, and was a prominent and popular man in the tribe. He was a son of Isaac Love, who was a native of Mississippi, but who migrated to Indian Territory and died here in advanced years.
James Arthur Love attended Hailey Institute at Tishomingo, and the Metropolitan Business College at Dallas, Texas. After the completion of his business course he engaged in the drug business at Colbert, and continued in that business for six years. It is the present plan of Mr. Love to identify himself with the grocery business in Colbert, and he is at present evolving plans for the establishment of such an enterprise. With his business training and his practical experience in the retail business, there is no question but he will make a splendid success of the venture. After he closed out his drug business in Colbert, Mr. Love went to Oklahoma City and there engaged in a similar enterprise, but in February, 1915, he returned to Colbert, his native city, and here he means to spend the remainder of his life.
On October 6, 1909, Mr. Love was married to Miss Gertrude Ingram of Carter County, Oklahoma. She is of Chickasaw descent, and the daughter of a prominent cattleman of Carter County, who now has his residence in Oklahoma City. Mrs. Love owns 200 acres of land in the heart of the Healdton oil fields.
Mr. and Mrs. Love have one child-Arthur Ingram Love, born July 19, 1912.
The family have membership in the Presbyterian Church and Mr. Love is a member of the Masonic order. He is a democrat, and has always given worthy service to the party.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)

THOMAS E. KIRBY

In Oklahoma City not to know "Tom" Kirby is practically to designate oneself a stranger within the gates of the capital city, where his circle of friends is coincident with that of his acquaintances, where he has served since 1910 as clerk of the District Court, and where he is one of the representative younger members of the bar of Oklahoma.
Born at Bolivar, Polk County, Missouri, on the 28th of February, 1881, Thomas Emerson Kirby is a son of George T. and Nannie (Emerson) Kirby, the former a native of Illinois and the latter of Missouri. The original American progenitors of the Kirby family immigrated from Ireland and settled in Virginia in the colonial era of our nation history, and in the historic Old Dominion State was born and reared the paternal grandfather of Thomas E. Kirby. This sturdy and ambitious Virginian removed with his parents from his native commonwealth to Illinois about the year 1820 and they became pioneer settlers in Sangamon County, where he was a youthful friend of Abraham Lincoln and witnessed the historic wrestling match between Lincoln and Jackie Armstrong. George T. Kirby was long numbered among the substantial farmers and honored citizens of Illinois, and for a number of years was identified with the same basic line of enterprise in Missouri. The father of his wife was Judge Burr H. Emerson, who removed from Tennessee to Missouri and who served in the latter state on the bench of the Circuit Court for the long period of twenty-four years.
To the public schools of Missouri Thomas E. Kirby is indebted for his early educational discipline and his higher academic training was obtained in Illinois College, at Jacksonville, Illinois, in which old and representative institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1902, and from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts. In preparation for the profession of his choice he entered the law department of Drake University, at Des Moines, Iowa, in which he was graduated in 1905, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. Four the ensuing five years Mr. Kirby was engaged in the practice of his profession at Ottumwa, Iowa, and at the expiration of this period, in 1910, he came to Oklahoma City, where he successfully continued in the work of his profession two years. He was then appointed clerk of the District Court, to fill a vacancy, and after serving the remaining year of the unexpired term he was, in 1912, regularly elected to this office, as candidate on the democratic ticket. Through reelection in 1914 he continues his efficient and valued services in this position and in his home city he commands inviolable vantage-ground in popular confidence and esteem. His is a nature of utmost buoyancy and optimism, he is tolerant and kindly in his judgment of others, always ready to say a kind word or do a kind deed, exemplifies in his personality both culture and refined ideals, so that popularity comes to him as a natural prerogative.
Mr. Kirby accords staunch allegiance to the democratic party, both he and his wife hold membership in the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Oklahoma City, and in the time-honored Masonic fraternity hea has received the thirty-second degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, in the Consistory at McAlester, this state. In the York Rite he is affiliated with the lodge, chapter and commandery in Oklahoma City, where he also holds membership in the Knights of Pythias.
At Piper City, Illinois, on the 11th of June, 1913, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Kirby to Miss Ethel Read, daughter of Arby D. and Mary Elizabeth (Long) Read, and they are popular figures in the representative social activities of Oklahoma's metropolis and capital city.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


WILLIAM H. OLMSTEAD

Through progressive policies, fair and honorable dealings and marked executive ability Hon. William H. Olmsted has gained and retained precedence as one of the representative exponents of the retail merchandise business in the northwestern part of Oklahoma, and he is a prominent and influential citizen of Waynoka, besides having been representative of Woods County in both the Fourth and Fifth General Assemblies of the Oklahoma Legislature. He is a man of broad mental ken, is direct and positive, well fortified in his opinions concerning matters of economic and governmental policy and has proved a most valuable member of the legislature, the while his official preferments indicate his sterling qualities and consequent hold upon popular confidence and approbation.
William Henry Olmsted was born in Knox County, Illinois, on the 27th of July, 1854, and is a son of Edwin R. and Harriet B. (Boyer) Olmsted, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Illinois, in which state her parents were pioneers. The Olmsted family was founded in America in 1632, two of its representatives were patriot soldiers of the continental line in the War of the Revolution, and the lineage traces back to sterling English origin. The family history has been traced in England back to 1580 and a scion of the American branch has recently published a most interesting genealogical record that gives authentic data concerning the various generations both in England and America. Of the children of Edwin R. and Harriet B. Olmsted four sons and two daughters are living besides the subject of this review: Nelson H. is engaged in the manufacturing of pumps at Liberty, Nebraska; George W. is conducting at that place a barber shop; Horace J. is employed in the offices of the Modern Woodmen at Rock Island, Illinois; Frank E. is a printer and publisher at Nebraska City, Nebraska; Mrs. J. W. Eatinger resides at Newton, Kansas, her husband being identified with railroad operations; and Mrs. W. L. Freeman is a resident of Bloomington, Illinois, where her husband is engaged in the bakery business.
The rudimentary education of William H. Olmsted was acquired in the public schools of his native state, but in the broad schools of experience he has gained the stable fund of knowledge that makes him a man of circumspection, mature judgment and well fortified opinions. At the age of eighteen years he was conducting independent operations as a farmer in Iowa, to which state he had accompanied his parents in 1870, the family having removed in 1878 to Kansas, and a few years later to the little town of Liberty, Nebraska, where his parents passed the remainder of their lives. After severing his association with agricultural pursuits Mr. Olmsted became a stone mason and plasterer, and later he developed a prosperous business as a contractor and builder at Syracuse, Hamilton County, Kansas. He served efficiently as mayor of that city and there held also the office of township trustee.
In 1893, shortly after the Cherokee Strip in Oklahoma was opened to settlement, Mr. Olmsted here established his residence at Waynoka, where he has since maintained his home and where he has been one of the most liberal and influential forces in the development and upbuilding of the thriving little city. For a time Mr. Olmsted was here engaged in the hardware and lumber business and he then turned his attention to a general merchandise enterprise, which he operated independently for eighteen years. But for the past year he has been a member of the firm of Olmsted & Hawkins. His former enterprise for a number of years was known as one of the largest and most substantial of its kind in Northwest Oklahoma. The reinforced concrete building erected by Mr. Olmsted for the accommodation of the business is said to be the only fireproof business building in Oklahoma' west of Oklahoma City.
Within the period of his residence at Waynoka Mr. Olmsted has served as township trustee and as president of the village board of trustees. During his administration in the latter office a municipal bond issue of $27,000 was voted and out of the proceeds were provided the excellent and thoroughly modern waterworks and electric lighting systems owned by this ambitious little city. In politics Mr. Olmsted accords unwavering allegiance to the republican party, and as a candidate on its ticket he was elected, in 1912, representative of Woods County in the lower house of the State Legislature. In the ensuing session he devoted himself largely to the promotion of legislation for the improving of the public highways of the state, and he was otherwise alert and progressive in supporting measures that appealed to his judgment as tending to foster the best interests of this commonwealth and its people. He was re-elected in 1914, and in the Fifth Legislature was found specially active in supporting measures for the advancement of the agricultural interests of the state and in obtaining adequate appropriations for the Oklahoma Northwestern Normal School at Alva. In this session he was member of the committees on criminal jurisprudence and on public roads and highways.
Mr. Olmsted is vice president of the First National Bank of Waynoka, is one of the active and influential members of the Waynoka Commercial Club, besides being identified with the Oklahoma Retailers' Association. In the Masonic fraternity he has received the thirty-second degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite in Oklahoma Consistory No. 1 at Guthrie, and his ancient craft affiliation is with Waynoka Lodge no. 422, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons. He holds membership also in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World.
At Burlington, Kansas, on the 28th of December, 1881, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Olmsted to Miss Minnie P. Rowell, who received excellent educational advantages in the City of Chicago and who was thereafter a successful teacher in the public schools of Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Olmsted have four children: Mildred E. is the wife of Robert V. Williams, who is engaged in the mercantile business at DeQueen, Arkansas; Stanley E. is employed as a special railroad officer at El Paso, Texas; and Dorothy and Katherine remain at the parental home, which is known for its gracious hospitality.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


FRANK HILTON GREER

Is a native of Kansas, having been born in Leavenworth on July 21, 1862. He has lived all his life in the West. The parents of Mr. Greer were pioneers in Kansas, and the boy at twelve years of age began making his own living, and has been at it ever since. He is a son of Samuel Wylie and Clotilda Hilton Greer. The father was born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, in 1824. He was educated in the Pennsylvania schools and graduated from Oberlin College, Ohio, as a Presbyterian preacher. He came to Kansas in 1854, in the turbulent days preceding the war, and took an active part in all the anti-slavery campaign [sic] of which Kansas was the center. He was one of the first state superintendents of public instruction in Kansas and did much in laying the foundation for the splendid public school system of that state. Just prior to Lincoln's inauguration he went with seventy-four other sturdy westerners to Washington City as a personal guard for the President. These organized as the "Frontier Guards," the first organization growing out of the Civil war. These men were the first to enlist in that war. The duty of guarding the President during and some time after the inauguration being over, Mr. Greer returned with the other Kansans and organized Company I, Fifteenth Volunteer Kansas Cavalry, of which company he was elected captain and served with it throughout the war. The mother was born in Xenia, Ohio, and became a school teacher, and it was at her knee that the subject of this sketch received most of his education, as his opportunity for other schooling was scant, and then only in the common schools. The printing office has been called the best of universities, and it proved so in this case. Here it was that Mr. Greer got his broad and practical education. The father died in 1882 at the age of fifty-eight years, and the mother in 1897, at the age of sixty-four. There were eight children in the family, of whom six are living, Frank Hilton being the fourth in order of birth.
Early in life Mr. Greer went into a newspaper office as a printer's devil and graduated in all the departments of the business, continuing the newspaper profession until four years ago, when he moved to Tulsa. He is now president of the Greer Investment Company, with offices in the Iowa Building.
Mr. Greer is a member of all branches of Masonry-both the Scottish Rite and York Rite, and the Shrine-and is a K. C. C. H. of the Supreme Council of the Scottish Rite. He belongs also to the Knights of Pythias, A. O. U W., Elks and Odd Fellows. He is a member of the Episcopal Church. He has held but one public office, that of a member of the Oklahoma Legislature in 1893.
In 1911 Mr. Greer was married to Laura Leigh Hanson, a woman of fine literary and social attainments, and they reside at 1501 South Baltimore, Tulsa.
Mr. Greer has taken prominent part in all the public affairs of Oklahoma, having located in Guthrie in 1889 on the day of the opening of old Oklahoma to settlement. He is a republican in politics, unswerving in his beliefs, not only in politics but in everything else, and although not seeking public office, has been active in everything that he believed would forward the political welfare of Oklahoma. He has taken a prominent part in the state's material progress.
Mr. Greer is one of the directors of the Tulsa Chamber of Commerce, and exerts his public spirit constantly for the growth of Tulsa. He is a fluent and popular public speaker. His diversion from business is literature, and his home contains probably the largest and best selected private library in Oklahoma.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


JOHN K. FAIN

There are two factors that have tended to retard the normal development of Eastern Oklahoma-a general belief that the general run of titles to lands in the former region of the Five Civilized Tribes of Indians are clouded; and, second, the activities of land dealers and speculators who sought to accumulate quick fortunes through misrepresentation of values and conditions in the new state. The former factor is being overcome by the process of gradual education, and this is being furthered by a combined effort of legitimate business men and railroad companies operating through Eastern Oklahoma. Prosecutions have virtually terminated the activities of unscrupulous land dealers, and the prospective buyers from other states are exercising more care in making investments in this section of Oklahoma. In answer to the complaint that titles to lands in Eastern Oklahoma are insecurely based, it may be stated that such reliable, enterprising and straightforward real-estate dealers as Mr. Fain are doing all in their power to disseminate the truth, and that is that Eastern Oklahoma land titles are not only simple and authoritative but also that they come direct from the United States Government. Congress has provided the methods by which the Indian lands may be disposed of, and every title has the government's guaranty. This movement is worthy of record in the history of Oklahoma, for it marks the beginning of a new era in the development of this region, and the men associated in it are assuredly pioneers of their generation in the establishing of better financial and industrial conditions in the state. This class of land dealers are assisting also in the development of communities, by the sale of land to men of ability and resources. Ten years of their activities have produced a wonderful change in conditions, particularly in the former Choctaw Nation. Most of the men of this sterling class conduct their real-estate business through the personal buying and selling of land, rather than on the commission basis. This gives them a vital interest in the character of the settlers they are instrumental in bringing in, for their theory is that one good purchaser-a man alive to the agricultural and general industrial needs of the community-is worth more than a dozen who have no other interest than speculation or no other ambition than to plod along in the beaten paths that for many years were never marked by any important phase of progress. An illustration of the painstaking methods of Mr. Fain is found in the fact that during the several years he has been engaged in the real-estate and farm-loan business he has never had a foreclosure, which means simply that he has been careful of investments for the financial firms he represents and careful to conserve the interests of the persons who borrow the money. And this is of distinctive value to Oklahoma, even as it is complimentary to the individual, for it betokens a business acumen that was necessarily brought into play to eradicate slipshod methods and get-rich-quick schemes that not only hindered the development of the state's splendid resources but also gave the commonwealth an unsavory reputation abroad. The year 1913 marked a steady advance of these new and legitimate methods, and it is of special significance that in that year the railroads saw the necessity of aiding in the movement. Such men as Mr. Fain are responsible for the inception of this important movement.
John Kelly Fain was born in Webster County, Missouri, on the 20th of May, 1874, and is a son of Rev. Isaac R. and Catherine E. (Bowman) Fain, the other surviving children of whom are three sons and three daughters: Jesse F. is a farmer in Webster County, Missouri; Mrs. Dora Jones is a resident of Miami, Oklahoma, where her husband is identified with mining operations; Mrs. Anna A. Barnes is the wife of a printer and publisher in Kansas City and her husband is in the employ of the Frisco Railroad Company; and Martin A., a painter by trade and vocation, is a resident of Webb City, Missouri. Rev. Isaac R. Fain was a native of Illinois, settled in Missouri in 1857, and labored long and zealously as a clergyman of the Baptist Church. His marriage was solemnized in Missouri, to which state the parents of his wife removed from Tennessee.
After availing himself of the advantages of the public schools of his native state, John K. Fain completed a course of higher study in Pleasant Hope Academy, in Polk County, Missouri. After teaching school three terms, in Polk and Greene counties, he became identified with the newspaper business at Cartersville, that state, where, in 1889, he became associated with George N. Barnes and Thomas J. Shelton in founding the Cartersville Daily Record. A few years later he severed his association with this enterprise and turned in attention to corresponding for the Mining World, of Chicago, as a representative in the mining districts of Missouri. At the same time he corresponded also for the Joplin New Herald and other newspapers.
In 1906 Mr. Fain established his residence at Stonewall, Indian Territory, and in this village, now in Pontotoc County, Oklahoma, he assisted in the organization of the Farmers & Merchants Bank, the business of which was later liquidated, the assets being transferred to Atoka, where they were utilized in connection with the organization of the American National Bank, with which Mr. Fain continued to be closely associated for several years. At Stonewall he initiated his operations in the farm-loan business, and in this field of enterprise he continued after his removal to Atoka, where he has since maintained his home and were he has long controlled a large and representative business in the handling of real estate, the extending of loans on approved farm securities and the general underwriting of insurance. In the handling of capital invested in farm mortgages in Oklahoma, Mr. Fain represents Robert E. Holmes, a substantial capitalist of Winstead, Connecticut, and also the First Trust Company of Wichita, Kansas, which succeeded to the business established by L. W. Clapp, the pioneer farm-loan man of Oklahoma. The conservative business operations of such men as Mr. Fain have brought about the development of agriculture in Atoka County from five to twenty-five per cent, these figures representing the progress of land cultivation within a period of a few years. In furthering the development and progress of the county Mr. Fain is devoting appreciable time and capital to improving two valuable farms, consisting of more than 500 acres. This land he has reclaimed from the timber and it is situated in one of the most fertile sections of the county. On one of the farms he has introduced and is extensively propagating Bermuda grass, for the purpose of developing the land for grazing purposed and having in view the raising of high-grade cattle and horses of thoroughbred strains. Mr. Fain is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America and both he and his wife are zealous member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in which he has served as steward and trustee of the church at Atoka.
On the 15th of December, 1891, at Carthage, Missouri, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Fain to Miss Julia N. Hobbs, and they have two children-Mabel Louise and John Kelly, Jr.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


RICHARD EDWIN SMITH

Who holds a law degree from the University of Wisconsin, spent five years in the practice of his profession in the new State of Oklahoma, and in that time gained a large acquaintance over the state and s till has many firm and loyal friends here.
On coming to Oklahoma in March, 1910, Mr. Smith located at Davis, where he formed a law partnership with his brother-in-law Senator C. B. Kendrick, later president of the Oklahoma State Senate. Mr. Smith continued in active practice at Davis until January 9, 1915, when he moved to Oklahoma City and opened a law office in that city. On the first of July, 1915, he dispose of his Oklahoma interests, since his health would not permit of his remaining in Oklahoma and having gone back to his old home state of Wisconsin he has resumed his work in Journalism, in which he had made a name and reputation for himself before moving to the Southwest.
Richard E. Smith was born at Elmira, Benzie County, Michigan, January 9, 1877, a son of James and Anna (Wright) Smith, the former a native of Sullivan, Wisconsin, and the latter of the State of Vermont. Soon after his birth is parents moved to New Lisbon, Wisconsin, and there he was given the advantages of a good public school training. In 1895 he graduated from the high school at Glenwood, Wisconsin, and then entered the University of Wisconsin, where he graduated LL. B. in 1900. His father was a lawyer, and the son on leaving university entered the senior smith's office as partner at Phillips, Wisconsin. A year later the firm opened an office at Park Falls, Wisconsin, with Richard E. in active charge. It was at Park Falls that Mr. Smith began his career in the newspaper business and politics. He bought the Park Falls Herald, of which he became editor in time to take issue with the other papers of the county and espouse the cause of Robert M. LaFollette, whom he admired for his gallant fight against corporations and the old republican machine of the state. It was a hot state campaign, but in spite of the machine opposition and despite the most tempting overtures made to thwart his course, Mr. Smith succeeded in giving LaFollette his county by an overwhelming majority.
As a result of the LaFollette victory in the state and in fitting recognition of Mr. Smith's ardent support throughout the campaign, the young editor was at once recognized by the incoming administration in appointment as assistant attorney general of Wisconsin by the principal of that office, Hon. L. M. Sturdevant. After ably filling the position for two years and five months, he resigned to indulge again in a newspaper venture at Galesville. Here he again championed the forces marshaled by the indomitable LaFollette. As head of the Galesville Independent Mr. Smith threw his whole would into the work of the campaign, but then sold his interest in the paper and removed to Tomah, Wisconsin, and resumed the general practice of law. It was from Tomah that he went to Oklahoma in the spring of 1910.
After leaving Oklahoma Mr. Smith went back to his old home at Park Falls, Wisconsin, and there founded another and second newspaper, the Park Falls Independent. He is now member of the firm of Smith & Fuller, printers and publishers at Park Falls. The first volume of the Park Falls Independent was issued September 15, 1915.
Mr. Smith has always been an ardent lover of fine harness horses and has raised and kept several horses with a high class record. He is a Knight Templar Mason, and is a past master of Tyre Lodge No. 42 at Davis, Oklahoma. He also served as District Deputy Grand Master of Oklahoma under Grand Master Charles E. Reeder and Grand Master William P. Freeman. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
At Mondovi, Wisconsin, Mr. Smith married Miss Georgina Baker, daughter of George W. and Eulalia (Sholts) Baker of that city. Her father was a direct descendant of Gen. Ethan Allen of Fort Ticonderoga fame, his mother being an Allen. The military spirit of the old hero seems to have been passed down, as George Baker served during the Civil War in the Union ranks until he lost his arm at Petersburg, when he was honorably discharged. His wife's only brother, Wilson Sholts, marched with the forces of General Sherman to the sea. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have three children: Georgina, born March 12, 1903; Wilson James, born April 23, 1912; and Richard Edwin, Jr., born September 19, 1913.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


WILLIAM C. HENDRICKS

Success to some individuals seems an evasive substance, but failure is generally found to be the result of a lack of possession of one of the qualities which may be acquired by all-persistence, industry, enterprise and resolute purpose. An inquiry into the life records of successful men shows that these qualities have been in large measure the causation of their prosperity, and such has been the case with William C. Hendricks, of Dacoma, a successful insurance broker and dealer in real estate.
Mr. Hendricks was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, September 22, 1861, and is a son of Sylvester and Phoebe (Phphron) Hendricks. His father was born in 1827, in Ireland, and was fourteen years of age when he emigrated to the United States, locating in the vicinity of Cincinnati, Ohio, where he engaged in farming. He continued to be an agriculturist throughout his career, and died in Ohio in September, 1869, when but forty-two years of age. He was married in 1854 to Miss Phoebe Pyphron, who was born February 22, 1837, in Hamilton County, Ohio, a daughter of parents who were New Jerseyans. She died at Toledo, Ohio, May 18, 1913, having been the mother of four sons and three daughters: John, who is deceased; Howard, who is a merchant of Toledo, Ohio; Elizabeth, who is deceased; William C., of this review; Anna G., who is the wife of Milton Jones, a merchant of Toledo, Ohio; and Charles G. and Minnie, who are both deceased.
William C. Hendricks was educated in the public schools of Hamilton County, Ohio, and his father having died when he was but eight years of age, he early learned not only to be self-supporting, but to contribute to the family income. When still a lad he secured his first business experience in the capacity of clerk in a store, and also worked on the farm, continuing to be thus engaged until 1882, when he removed to Peabody, Kansas, and there for seven years followed contracting and building. He later turned his attention to the lumber and hardware business at Lincolnville, Kansas, being thus employed for three and one-half years, and in 1893, when the Cherokee Strip was opened, came to Oklahoma and settled on a tract of Government land, three miles from the present Town of Dacoma. Mr. Hendricks continued to be personally engaged in farming and stockraising on this property for sixteen years, and brought it to a high state of cultivation, making improvements of a modern character and erecting fine and substantial buildings. In 1909 he left the farm and moved into the city, where he has since been engaged in the real estate and insurance brokerage business, although he continues to own the homestead, where operations are being carried on by his superintendent.
Mr. Hendricks has been successful in building up a prosperous realty and insurance business, and has served as the medium through which some large transactions have been carried on. He is an enthusiastic booster of Dacoma and has been a large contributor to the town's prosperity as a builder and in attracting outside capital here. It was through his individual efforts that the first rural free delivery mail route was established out of Alva, and he was one of the organizers of the Hopeton Telephone Company, which has done much to build up this locality, and of which he has been president for several years. His well-known business integrity and straight-forward manner of dealing brought him favorably before the public, and in 1911 he was elected to the office of mayor of Dacoma, serving therein during 1911 and 1912 and making an excellent official under whose administration a number of reforms were inaugurated. He is active in republican politics, having served as delegate to both county and state conventions. Fraternally, Mr. Hendricks is affiliated with the Masons, in which he has attained to the Scottish Rite degree, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. With his family, he attends the United Brethren Church.
Mr. Hendricks was married November 9, 1882, at Macon, Missouri, to Miss Annie M. Beeton, who was born November 2, 1861, at Cherry Grove, Ohio, daughter of Ephraim and Melisa Beeton, the former a native of England and the latter of Ohio. Mrs. Hendricks died November 7, 1910. Three children were born to this union: Howard C., born July 29, 1884; Bessie M., born March 9, 1886; and Everett J., born June 19, 1888, who died November 24, 1912.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


ABRAHAM L. BLESH, M. D.

In those attributes of character and those high technical attainments that make for special precedence in the profession of medicine and surgery Dr. Blesh is admirably endowed, and there can be no measure of inconsistency in pronouncing him one of the foremost surgeons of the Southwest. He has been engaged in the practice of his profession in Oklahoma since 1893 and since 1902 has, with marked circumspection, concentrated his efforts in a field of practice that may well demand the undivided allegiance of a skilled representative of his profession, for he has given his special and practically exclusive attention to the practice of surgery, his well equipped offices being in Suite 606-10 State National Bank Building, Oklahoma City, and his practice being of broad scope and importance-a just reward for the careful attention he has given to fortifying himself for his humane vocation, which has been signally dignified and honored by his achievement. The doctor has carried his research into original channels and has availed himself of the best of facilities and advantages along scientific and specifically professional lines, as shown by the fact that he completed, in 1910-11, an effective course of post-graduate work in the medical department of the great University of Vienna, Austria. In addition the exigent demands placed upon him in connection with this private practice has served since 1911 as chief surgeon of Wesley Hospital in his home city, and has been active also in the educational work of his profession.
Doctor Blesh was born at Lock Haven, the picturesque and thriving judicial center of Clinton County, Pennsylvania, and the date of his nativity was January 6, 1866. His parents, Rudolph and Sarah Frances (Bartholomew) Blesh, were natives respectively of Switzerland and Holland and their marriage was solemnized in Pennsylvania, where they continued to maintain their home until 1871, when they removed to Kansas, where they became pioneer settlers and where they passed the residue of their lives. Doctor Blesh was a lad of five years at the time of the family removal to the Sunflower State, and after there attending the public schools he completed a course in the Campbell Normal School, at Holton. In preparation for his chosen profession he entered the medical school of Northwestern University, in the City of Chicago, and in this institution he was graduated in 1889, with the degree of doctor of medicine. For about a year thereafter he was engaged in practice at Rio, Columbia County, Wisconsin, and he then returned to Dickinson County, when, in 1891, he removed to Lost Springs, Marion County, that state, where he continued his successful practice until 1893, when he cast in his lot with the pioneers of the newly organized Territory of Oklahoma, an action that he has never found cause to regret, the while he has maintained the most loyal appreciation of and interest in the vigorous young commomwealth within whose borders he became a resident in the early pioneer epoch of its history.
From the year of his arrival in Oklahoma Doctor Blesh was engaged in the general practice of medicine and surgery at Guthrie, the territorial capital, until 1908, the year following the admission of the state to the Union, when he removed to Oklahoma City, which has since represented his home and been the stage of his earnest and effective professional labors. When the medical department of the University of Oklahoma was established Doctor Blesh was appointed associate professor of general and clinical surgery in the same, and with the exception of the year which he devoted to post-graduate study in Europe, he has since continued the popular and valued incumbent of that position. He was formerly a member of the board of directors of the Post-Graduate Medical College of Oklahoma City, and since 1911 he has been chief surgeon of Wesley Hospital, as previously noted in this article.
Doctor Blesh is a fellow and now a governor also of the American College of Surgeons, of which national association of surgeons he was one of the organizers. He is actively identified also with the American Medical Association; the Medical Association of the Southwest, of which he was president in 1911-12; the Oklahoma State Medical Society, of which he was president in 1903-4; and the Oklahoma County Medical Society. The doctor has made many valuable contributions to the standard and periodical literature of his profession and has thus "stolen time" to be of assistance to his fellow practitioners and to advance' the interests of medical and surgical science in general. Among a few of his prolific and admirable articles may be mentioned those designated by the following titles: "Puerperal Fever: Etiology, Prophylaxis and Treatment," published in the American Practitioner, May 1889. "Sprains: Consequences, Treatment," published in the Medical Record, February 1893. "What of the Future," President's address before the Oklahoma Territorial Medical Association; published in Oklahoma News-Journal, 1904. "Pertinent Facts About Appendicitis," published in the Journal of Clinical Medicine, January, 1908. "Surgical Role of the Pneumococcus," published in Oklahoma State Medical Journal, March, 1909. "Chorion-Epithelioma," published in the Texas State Journal of Medicine, March, 1909. "Diffuse Suppurative Peritonitis," published in the Oklahoma State Medical Journal, October, 1909. "Surgical Colon," published in the Proctologist and Medical Journal, June, 1913. "Indications and Limitations of Local Anesthesia," published in the Medical Journal of the Southwest, August, 1913. "Mechanics of Perineal Repair," published in 1915, in the Journal of the Southwest.
In the Masonic fraternity Doctor Blesh has completed the circle of each the York to Royal Arch and Scottish Rites, and his affiliations are here briefly noted: Guthrie Lodge, No. 3, (now No. 47), Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of which he is a past master; Chapter No. 6, Royal Arch Masons, in Guthrie; the Consistory of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, in which he has received the thirty-second degree; and India Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. The doctor is a knight commander of the Court of Honor, is actively identified with the Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce, and in his home city holds membership in the Men's Dinner Club, and the Golf and Country Club. His residence in the capital city is at 1316 West Seventeenth Street and in addition to this property he is the owner of other valuable real estate in the city.
On the 6th of June, 1890, Doctor Blesh wedded Miss Theodora Belle Pickett, daughter of William Pickett, of Frankfort, Kansas, and they have three children-Theodora Belle, Rudolph P. and Howard K. The only daughter is now the wife of J. Gerald Mraz, of Oklahoma City.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


JAMES B. DIGGS

Since he identified himself with the pioneer bar of the old Cherokee Strip more than twenty years ago, the career of James B. Diggs has brought him a constantly enlarging volume of legal business and a reputation second to none among the able member so the Tulsa bar. Mr. Diggs has lived in Tulsa for a number of years, and has a commendable record for straight-forward and high professional conduct, and his success has been gained with honor and without animosity. He possesses a broad and comprehensive knowledge of the law, and though at various times he has interested himself actively in democratic politics, he has concerned himself chiefly with the pressing and constantly broadening duties of his profession.
His family and antecedents were such that he could well derive inspiration and encouragement for his individual success. He was born at Cahaba, Dallas County, Alabama, October 20, 1862, a son of James S. and Katherine (Evans) Diggs. His father was born at New Orleans, Louisiana, in 1839, received his early education in that city, and began the study of law there. James S. Diggs was a descendant from Edward Digges, who was the fourth colonial governor of Virginia. Another branch of the ancestry was the notable Brisbane family of England. At the beginning of the Civil war James S. Diggs volunteered as a soldier, joining the celebrated Cahaba Rifles, and was with his command until the end of the war except when detailed and put in charge of several government concerns by the Confederate authorities. James S. Diggs was a son of James B. Diggs, who was a wealthy planter and banker of New Orleans, and fought under Andrew Jackson at New Orleans as colonel of the provisional mounted guard.
James S. Diggs completed his education at Poughkeepsie College at New York, and after returning South engaged in practice at Cahaba, Alabama. Later he removed to Selma, when the county seat of Dallas County was removed to that place, and continued to be engaged in active practice until the time of his death of January 3, 1893. A democrat up to the close of the war, he then allied himself with the republican party, and served four years as solicitor of Dallas County district. He was married to Miss Katherine Evans, who was born at Nashville, Tennessee, and who died March 11, 1908, at the age of sixty-seven. She was a granddaughter of R. W. Whyte, justice of the Supreme Court of Tennessee, and was a niece of Judges George R. and James L. Evans of Selma, Alabama, and her family was allied with the Donelsons and Jacksons of Tennessee. To the marriage of James S. and Katherine Diggs were born five sons, four of them still living. Next to the oldest in the family, James B. Diggs entered the public schools of Selma, Alabama, and subsequently began the study of law under the capable direction of his father. He was admitted to the bar in 1884, and practice at Selma until 1893. In that year he came West and settled at Perry, Oklahoma, about the time of the opening of the Cherokee Strip. He made himself a factor in the bar and in citizenship in that locality until the fall of 1905, and during that time was assistant attorney of "P" County, afterwards Noble County. On March 11, 1894, he was appointed probate judge of Noble County, and acted in that capacity for the remainder of the term.
After leaving Perry Mr. Diggs spent a short time at Pawnee and then came, on August 6, 1906, to Tulsa. His offices are on the seventh floor of the Central Building. Since October, 1908, he has been head of the legal department of the Gulf Pipe Line and affiliated companies in Oklahoma. Since his arrival he has been one of the busy lawyers of Tulsa, and among the numerous and conclusion it is difficult to specialize, he heaving appeared in most of the leading cases in that state. As a citizen he has done his full share in assisting movements for civic betterment and progress, and in political matters is a democrat.
On June 24, 1908, Mr. Diggs married Miss Edith Maclary, a native of Maryland. To them have been born two sons: James B., Jr., born March 7, 1910, and Robert Maclary, born Janaury 14, 192.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


HON. VANNER LAMB

From the time he entered upon his career as a lad. Vanner Lamb has always depended upon his own resources and abilities to gain him those things which he has desired in life. With no advantages save a public school education, he was content to accept conditions as he found them, to make his own opportunities and to work faithfully, and energetically toward the attainment of his ambitions, and gradually has worked upward to a substantial position in the business world, and to the mayoralty of one of the most prosperous and progressive cities of Southwest Oklahoma, Wagoner.
Mayor Lamb was born on a farm in Grant County, Arkansas, November 20, 1872, and is a son of Leroy and Elizabeth (Headdon) Lamb. His father, a native of Georgia, was brought as a boy to Arkansas by his parents, and in that state met and married Elizabeth Headdon, who had been born in that state, a daughter of parents who had come from Tennessee. Leroy Lamb was a shoemaker by trade, and followed that vocation at various times, although he also devoted much of his attention to farming and raising stock, and it was on the home farm in Arkansas that Vanner Lamb was reared. He attended the public schools of Grant County until he was fourteen years of age, at which time he went to Malvern, Arkansas, and for three years worked at the trade of shoemaker, associated with his father. His next venture was in railroading, as a mechanic, a capacity in which he was employed for six years, at the end of which time he decided he was ready to embark in business life as the owner of his own establishment, and accordingly, December 7, 1894, came to Wagoner, Oklahoma, where he founded a modest shoemaking shop. Excellent workmanship and fidelity to all engagements contributed to the success of this enterprise, which developed into quite a pretentious retail shoe store, which Mr. Lamb conducted until 1904, at that time disposing of his interests to embark in the hay and grain and real-estate business, with which he has been identified to the present time. In this direction he has rapidly advanced to an acknowledged position of prestige and has large and important interests, which include the ownership of valuable farming land in Wagoner and adjoining counties. From the time of attaining his majority, Mr. Lamb has been a stanch and active democrat, and in recent years has been prominent in civic affairs of Wagoner. After capably serving two terms as a member of the Wagoner City Council, in 1914 he was the choice of his fellow-citizens for the mayoralty, being elected to that office for a term of three years. As in his various other connections, Mayor Lamb has shown himself one who can accomplish things, and under his administration the civic affairs of Wagoner have developed and prospered. He has been prominent in Masonry, in which he has attained the thirty-second degree, and is a Knight Templar and a Shriner.
Mayor Lamb was married in 1897, at Wagoner, to Miss Frank McAnnally, of this city, daughter of W. H. McAnnally, the first white settler of Wagoner, who came here from his native state of Oklahoma, and was married to a native of the Cherokee Nation. To Mr. and Mrs. Lamb there have been born a daughter, Willie, and two sons, S. K. and Charles.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




Back To Biographies



Back to


 the Main Index Page for Oklahoma
©Genealogy Trails