Oklahoma Genealogy Trails    
    A Proud Member of the Genealogy Trails Group
 

Oklahoma Biographies 6

 TOM G. TAYLOR

In the vital little City of Idabel, judicial center of McCurtain County, Tom G. Taylor is editor and publisher of the Democrat-Record, one of the vigorous newspapers of the state and one which he has made an effective exponent of local interests as well as of the cause of the democratic party. That he is a liberal and progressive citizen, popular and influential, needs no further voucher than the statement that he figured as representative of McCurtain County in the lower House of the Oklahoma Legislature in its Fifth General Assembly, that of 1914-15, his re-election for this session having come after he had impressed a distinct influence upon state governmental affairs during his previous term as a member of the Fourth Legislature. His high civic ideals and broad views of economic and governmental policies have been definitely vitalized and matured through his long and active association with the newspaper business, and he is well equipped for leadership in popular sentiment and action. Successful in private business activities, he proved loyal and successful as a legislator, and his record in the later connection redounds to his credit and reflects honor on the county and state of his adoption.
The fine old Empire State of the South has given a due quota of valuable citizens to the new commonwealth of Oklahoma, and Mr. Taylor takes due pride in claiming that state as the place of his nativity, besides which he is a scion of one of the fine old families whose name has long and worthily identified with the annals of the South. Mr. Taylor was born in Cobb County, Georgia, in the year 1875, and is a son of Alfred P. and Alice (Hales) Taylor, the other surviving children being: Arthur P., who is a prosperous fruit grower at DeQueen, Sevier County, Arkansas; W. H. Taylor, with his brother Arthur; Charles E., who is identified with railway service at Shreveport, Louisiana; Alfred W., who is attending school at DeQueen, Arkansas; Mrs. William W. Robinson, whose husband is in the United State mail service at DeQueen; and Miss Jessie, who is a successful teacher in the public schools at DeQueen.
The father of Mr. Taylor was born in South Carolina, and became a successful farmer, horticulturist and contractor, his operations having been successively in the states of Georgia, Alabama and Arkansas. He was a boyhood friend of the late Hon. Henry W. Grady, the distinguished Georgia statesman and orator, was himself a man of fine intellectuality and was influential in public affairs. He served two terms in the Legislature of Alabama, during a period of stormy conflict between the old-line democrats and the political organization of the Farmers' Alliance, of which latter he was a prominent representative.
The career of Tom G. Taylor has signally shown the consistency of the statement that the discipline of a newspaper office is equivalent to a liberal education, and he attributes quite as much to such discipline as to that received in the public schools for the broad scope of his concrete information as well as for the reinforcement of his opinions concerning business affairs and public policies. By attending school a portion of the time in his boyhood and youth and in the interim finding employment in newspaper and printing offices he completed what may well be termed a liberal and practical education. At the age of eleven years he entered the office of the Edwardsville Standard at Edwardsville, Alabama, and when but seventeen years of age he established at Cullman, that state, a paper to which he gave the title of the People's Protest, the same being made an organ and mouthpiece for the Farmers' Alliance. In the meanwhile his father had purchased the plant of a paper known as the Plowboy, in Cleburne County, Alabama, and after remaining a year at Cullman the subject of this review assumed the practical charge of the paper of which his father had become the owner. In 1905 the family removed to Sevier County, Arkansas, and there Mr. Taylor became associated with his father in the manufacturing of lumber, in farming and fruit-growing and in the general merchandise business. They were pioneers in the development of the fruit industry in that section of the state and produced fine varieties of pears, plums and peaches, on their exhibition of which they received premiums at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, in the City of St. Louis. Through their efforts and pronounced success great interest in horticulture was aroused in Sevier County, and within its borders is now to be found probably the largest peach orchard in the world, the same comprising 4,700 acres.
In 1907 Mr. Taylor purchased the DeQueen Democrat, a weekly paper published at DeQueen, Sevier County, and in 1910 he removed the plant to Idabel, Oklahoma, and utilized the same in the founding of the Idabel Democrat-Record, of which he has since continued publisher and editor. With his original plant he later consolidated that of the McCurtain County Record, which had been published at Valliant, and still later assimilated in a similar way the plant and business of the Idabel Beacon-Times, with the result that, with his policy of keeping his printing and newspaper office up to high standard in all departments, he now has one of the largest and most modern printing plants in the southeastern part of the state.
In 1912 Mr. Taylor was elected a representative of McCurtain County in the Fourth General Assembly of the Oklahoma State Legislature, after having made a somewhat vigorous campaign against the socialist party contingent in his county, and that without assistance on the part of other democratic candidates. In the Fourth Legislature Mr. Taylor was the joint author of a bill for the granting of pensions to former soldiers in the Confederate armies, but though this bill passed the house it was defeated by remaining on the calendar of the senate until the close of the session. He was the author also of a bill revising the fish and game laws of the state, and after its enactment this measure was vetoed by Governor Cruce, though most of its important features were embodied in measures enacted by the Fifth Legislature. The estimate placed upon the services of Mr. Taylor was significantly shown in 1914, when he was re-elected to the Legislature by the largest majority ever given to a candidate for that office in McCurtain County. In the Fifth Legislature Mr. Taylor was made chairman of the committee on public printing, and assigned to membership also on the following named committees of the House: State and school lands, public buildings, state militia, relations to the Five Civilized Tribes and other Indians, fish and game, retrenchment and reform, and capitol building. At this session Mr. Taylor was the author of a bill establishing the landlord's lien, of a bill creating a poll tax, and of a bill segregating the funds derived from taxes received from white and negro tax-payers and prorating them according to the respective white and black elements of population, this measure being in harmony with law now in effect in Mississippi, Alabama and Texas. Representative Taylor also gave special attention to the championship of a bill requiring all boards handling public money to publish monthly statements of their receipts and disbursements as well as of a bill requiring persons applying for articles of incorporation to publish a statement of the objects of the proposed corporation in newspapers in the county where it was to transact business. He also supported vigorously a bill providing that all state printing shall be done in the state and authorizing the State Board of Public Affairs to fix the prices for printing.
During the period of his residence in Oklahoma Mr. Taylor has been an ardent worker in behalf of the cause of the democratic party and has attended as a delegate each of its successive state conventions in Oklahoma during this period. He had previously been active in political affairs in Arkansas, and he is well fortified in his convictions as to economic and governmental policies. He is the very incarnation of the spirit of progress and takes a lively and liberal interest in all that tends to advance the civic and material welfare of his home city, county and state. Mr. Taylor is a member of the Idabel Retailers' Association and the Southeastern Oklahoma Press Association. He is affiliated with both the lodge and encampment bodies of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in the latter of which he has served as high priest, and he holds membership also in the Woodmen of the World, the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Improved Order of Red Men, and the Woodmen's Circle.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




WILLIAM VINCENT PROVOST

Perhaps there are no more progressive and enterprising agriculturists than those who, like William Vincent Provost, of Lambert, have made their own way, unaided, in the world. The necessity for self support seems to develop in some men latent abilities which would perhaps have lain dormant under other circumstances. At any rate, Mr. Provost started to make his own living when he was but ten years of age, and the success which he has made of life would seem to indicate that the training in self reliance was an excellent one. At this time he is the owner of 360 acres of well cultivated land, situated three miles from Dacoma, on which he has resided continuously since his arrival in 1893.
William Vincent Provost was born May 17, 1862, on his father's farm in Tazewell County, Illinois, and is a son of Lawrence R. and Carrie M. (High) Provost. His father was born in 1834, at Newark, New Jersey, at which place his parents, natives of France, had settled on their arrival in the United States. As a young man he learned the trade of carriage maker and followed that vocation in his native state and elsewhere, and at the outbreak of the Civil war was living at Norfolk, Virginia. A stanch friend of the North and a bitter enemy of the institution of slavery, he was accused of being connected with the underground railway, the famous organization which assisted escaping slaves to run away from their masters and reach the safe haven of Canada, and the suspicion of being connected with this institution, caused the threats of the Southern sympathizers to become so strong that he deemed it better to seek a residence elsewhere and accordingly went to Tazewell County Illinois. There he was engaged in carriagemaking for a time and then moved to Decatur, Illinois. In 1868 Mr. Provost removed to Kansas, where he homesteaded a claim in Osage County, but remained only until 1871, when he went to Goshen, Indiana, resumed his trade, and for eight years conducted a carriage factory. At the end of that time he returned to Decatur, in the vicinity of which city he is now engage in growing fruit. When he first arrived in Illinois after being driven from Virginia, Mr. Provost was without capital and in a community where he was unknown. A life of industry and perseverance, however, has gained him a handsome competence, and he is now accounted one of the substantial men of his locality. Mr. Provost has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Carrie High, with whom he was united in 1851, and who died in 1870. They became the parents of five sons and two daughters: James; Emma; Jasper; William Vincent, of this review; Mary; George and Lawrence, all of whom are living. In 1874 Mr. Provost was married the second time, his wife being Nannie Scroggs, and to this union there were born two daughters, Sadie and Daisy, who also survive.
The early educational training of William Vincent Provost was decidedly limited in its character, as his father was in modest circumstances, and such assistance as the boy could give was an appreciated help in the family resources. He attended the public schools at times, but as he began to make his own way when ten years of age, the greater part of his training came in the schools of hard work and experience. He was sixteen years of age when he returned to Kansas, and there for a number of years worked as a farm hand in various communities, always showing himself faithful and industrious and winning the friendship and commendation of his employers. In 1893 he came to Oklahoma and settled on Government land, three miles from where Dacoma now stands, where he has continued to reside to the present time. At the present time he has 360 acres of rich and productive land, all under cultivation, where he is carrying on diversified farming, as well as breeding Jersey cattle, in which department he has met with decided success. His property has been improved with modern buildings, substantial in character and handsome in architecture, which not only add to its appearance but also enhance its value. He is a firm believer in the use of modern machinery and methods, is shrewd, careful and persistent in his operations and displays great vigor in his undertakings, but is honorable and straightforward in his transactions and has won the confidence of those with whom he has been associated. His energy and business acumen have carried him into other lines of enterprise, and at present he is a member of the board of directors of the Bank of Dacoma and of the Dacoma Grain and Elevator Company, prominent enterprises of this community.
Mr. Provost has been twice married, his first union taking place August 4, 1883, when he was united with Miss Carrie M. Hopkins, who was born July 30, 1866, in Pennsylvania. She died February 8, 1909, having been the mother of thirteen children, as follows: Warbass R., born November 21, 1885; James E., born November 11, 1886; Clarence, born May 14, 1888; Grace, born June 1, 1890; Muriel M., born November 15, 1892; Caroline M., born February 9, 1894; Wilhelmina, born April 14, 1896; Emma, born February 19, 1897; Mae, born July 24, 1901, who died in infancy; George Wesley, born November 19, 1902; Dora, born August 27, 1904; Lenora, born December 14, 1905; and Nina, born December 9, 1908. Mr. Provost's second marriage occurred April 6, 1911, to Mrs. Anna D. Hollenbaugh, a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Provost are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




HON. LEWIS HUNTER

A resolute and aggressive member of the Fifth Legislature, where he made his impress on current legislation, Lewis Hunter comes from Comanche County, is an able member of the Lawton bar, and has been identified with that section of the state since the opening of the Kiowa and Comanche Reservation.
Born on a farm near Greenville, Illinois, February 18, 1878, Mr. Hunter is a son of Robert M. and Elizabeth (Williford) Hunter. His parents, who now live at Lawton, were natives of Illinois, where his father for many years was a prosperous farmer. The earliest ancestor of the family in America was Thomas Hunter, who came from Tyrone County, Ireland, and settled in the colonies during the Revolution. Mr. Hunter's maternal ancestors were from England, and on coming to America settled in Virginia. During the Civil war both the grandparents of Mr. Hunter, though living in the North, were sympathizers with the cause of the South.
As a boy he attended the public schools, and later the University of Valparaiso in Indiana, graduating in the scientific course in 1899 and in the classical course in 1900. He had already begun the reading of law in a private office, and in 1901 was admitted to the bar. In the same year he came to Lawton and began his professional career there. During the days preparatory to the opening of the Kiowa and Comanche Indian lands he registered at Lawton, but did not draw a lucky number. Later he bought a homestead in what was known as the "Big Pasture" in the southern part of Comanche County. Mr. Hunter is accounted one of the most successful young lawyers in Southwest Oklahoma, and his particular forte is the criminal law.
He was one of the organizers of the first Democratic Club in Lawton, the organization being completed in his office. Congressman Ferris and United States Senator Gore, then young lawyers, were among the charter members, and George D. Key of Tulsa, twice a candidate for attorney general, was its first president. In 1903, when W. J. Bryan visited the new Town of Lawton and was guest at a banquet of democrats, Mr. Hunter was also a guest of honor and delivered an address on Jackson Democracy. He has been an active participant in every democratic campaign in his county since locating there, makes a powerful appeal whether in the court room or in a political speech, and in 1912 took the stump in favor of Champ Clark's nomination for President.
Elected to the Legislature in 1914, Mr. Hunter was made a member of Judiciary Committee No. 2, Congressional Redistricting, School Lands, Oil and Gas, Geological Survey and Levees, Drains, Ditches and Irrigation. He introduced a bill forbidding the taxing of mortgage indebtedness of homesteads, which was passed in the House of Representatives, which was passed in the House of Representatives, but failed in the Senate. Another bill of his made an appropriation for the Cameron School of Agriculture at Lawton. Mr. Hunter is an ardent state's rights democrat, and led the fight in the House against a resolution favoring national prohibition on the ground that such a measure trespassed on state's rights, robbed the states of police power and centralized the government in opposition to the principles of Jeffersonian democracy. He also fought another bill giving the governor power to suspend and dismiss elected county, city or state officials found remiss.
Mr. Hunter was married in 1903 at Lawton to Mrs. Nannie J. Wilson, a native of Boonville, Indiana. They have one child, Robert Thomas, aged seven. A brother of Mr. Hunter, Jesse E., a teacher in Comanche County, died in 1913. His four living brothers are: George L., a teacher at Lawton; John G. superintendent of schools at Faxon, Oklahoma; Alvin A., a farmer at Fletcher, Oklahoma; and Willis M., a farmer at Lawton. Mr. Hunter is a member of the Presbyterian Church, of the Masonic Lodge and of the Comanche County and the Oklahoma Bar associations.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




GABRIEL N. WRIGHT

A character for vigorous and successful management has marked the entire career of Gabriel N. Wright, now one of the foremost business men and citizens of Tulsa. Mr. Wright is a young man in years, but has a record of accomplishment which might well become one many years his senior. He is the executive head of the Merchants and Planters Bank of Tulsa, has a large business as a merchant and manufacturer, and is usually found associated with any movements for local betterment or upbuilding.
Gabriel N. Wright was born in Fort Smith, Arkansas, March 2, 1877, the youngest of the five living children of Gabriel N., Sr., and Martha R. (Woodruff) Wright. Both parents were natives of Georgia, the father passing away at the age of seventy-six and the mother at sixty-five. During the Civil war his father was engaged in the manufacture of potash, an important commodity for use in the powder mills, for the southern government. At the close of the war he left Georgia and located at Fort Smith, Arkansas. By profession he was an architect and mechanical engineer, and after coming to Arkansas took the contract and built the first structures on the campus of the State University at Fayetteville. After following his business as a builder and contractor for a number of years he bought a plantation near Van Buren and became extensively engaged in the raising of cotton. Subsequently he removed to Oklahoma City, and invested largely in real estate in that locality, but lived retired for several years before his death. He was a democrat in politics.
Gabriel N. Wright, Jr., grew up in Arkansas partly in the City of Fort Smith and partly on his father's plantation, was educated in the public schools and afterwards took a course in a business college at Oklahoma City. His first regular employment was in a lumber yard, from which he drifted into clerking for a merchandise house at Oklahoma City. Still later he was advanced to the position of manager of a department store, and varied that employment with travel on the road as a commercial salesman, for a dry goods house. Mr. Wright was one of the early settlers at Tulsa, having located there in 1905, when that town was just beginning its great boom. Here he opened a stock of clothing and still maintains that business, though it is now only one of his several activities.
In 1909 Mr. Wright became one of the leading stockholders in the Merchants and Planters Bank of Tulsa, and was soon afterwards elected president, an office he still holds. The Merchants and Planters Bank at the close of 1914 showed total resources of over $700,000. It has a capital of $50,000, with surplus and undivided profits of over $15,000, and the item of deposits figures at over $650,000. The list of directors include some of the leading business men in Tulsa and vicinity, and the other officers beside Mr. Wright are: E. L. Talman, J. Truman Nixon and F. M. Wooden, vice presidents, and F. A. Haver, cashier.
Mr. Wright is also president of the Wright Producing Company, an important firm engaged in bringing in and developing gas and oil wells in this vicinity. He is president of the Oklahoma Glazed Cement Pipe Company of Tulsa, the largest concern of its kind in this section of the state, and its products have a steady and growing demand in Tulsa and surrounding country and towns.
In this brief sketch only the major activities which have engaged Mr. Wright's attention have been noted, and Tulsa people say that for ten years he has been a ready and willing factor in helping to forward any movement to give Tulsa a better position among Oklahoma cities. At the present time he is serving as president of the Commercial Club, is a charter member of the Tulsa Lodge of Elks and is also affiliated with the Knights of Pythias. Politically his associations are with the democratic party.
On November 25, 1905, Mr. Wright married Eliza M. Stinson. Mrs. Wright is a native of Texas. They are the parents of three children: Norman, Jeannette and Catherine.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




MICHAEL B. HICKMAN

Prominent in democratic politics in Oklahoma, Mr. Hickman has served as postmaster of Coalgate since August 30, 1913. He is president of the Coalgate Publishing Company and for one term gave efficient service as mayor of Coalgate. For many years he has been connected with the upbuilding of Coal County and just reason to be proud of the fact that to his efforts can be traced many a substantial enterprise or advancement contributing greatly to the growth and prosperity of this section of the state. In every sense he is a representative citizen and a business man of marked capacity.
At Paris, Logan County, Arkansas, February 7, 1876, occurred the birth of Michael B. Hickman, who is a son of the Rev. I. B. and Cora (Rhyne) Hickman, both of whom were born and reared in Arkansas, but who are now residents of Coalgate. Since locating in Oklahoma the Reverend Hickman has devoted considerable time to the profession of teaching, and he is now preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, at Coalgate. Reverend Hickman and three of his brothers gave valiant service in the Confederate army during the Civil war, as did also one of Mrs. Hickman's brothers. Seven children were born to Reverend and Mrs. Hickman, as follows: John R. is a member of the State Senate; Horace is a printer in the Record-Register office at Coalgate; Bert S. is a carpenter in Dallas, Texas; Harvey lives with his parents in Coalgate; Willie is the wife of Os M. Stevens, a sketch of whose career appears elsewhere in this work; Irene is the wife of Frank Keller, a member of the Record-Register staff; and Michael B. is he whose name initiates this review.
In the public schools of Arkansas Michael B. Hickman received his primary educational discipline, which was further supplemented by a practical course of training in a printshop. His career as a newspaperman was begun in Booneville, Arkansas, and in 1901 he removed to Coalgate and purchased the plant of the Courier, a weekly paper, which he finally sold but repurchased several years later. Subsequently he bought an interest in the Independent, a paper that had been founded by George E. Jahn, of Coalgate, and the name of this publication was changed to the Record. In 1910 J. Y. Brice opened up the office of the Register, which he sold to Mr. Hickman and the following year, the latter consolidating it with the Record under the name of the Record-Register, which paper is being published at the present time with both daily and weekly editions. The morale of this paper is of the highest standard and through its columns are endorsed many improvements for the good of Coalgate and the surrounding district. Not many years ago, when the coal mines of the county were in operation and all conditions were prosperous, the element of society that favored a wide-open town as regards the sale of intoxicating liquors was in the great majority. The Hickman publication took a stand for better morals and prohibition and in the course of time swerved public opinion until the majority favored a closed town and prohibition.
Mr. Hickman has been a leader in the ranks of the democratic party in his county for many years and his paper has been one of the foremost in the eastern part of the state in advocacy of the principles of the party. For years he served a secretary of the county election board and he has also given efficient service as secretary of the Coal County Democratic Central Committee. With one exception he has attended every democratic state convention since statehood. It was through his efforts that the first free school was established in Coalgate prior to the admission of Oklahoma to the Union as a state. In 1911 his fellow-citizens honored him with election to the office of mayor of Coalgate and it was during his incumbency that the city's first pavement was laid. Many other important improvements were undertaken and the regime of the editor-mayor was a big success. On the 30th of August, 1913, in recognition of the high quality of his citizenship, he was appointed postmaster of Coalgate, an office he is still filling with credit to himself and to the community. He is public-spirited in every sense of the word and is held in high esteem by his fellow-citizens. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and Modern Woodmen of America, the Coalgate Commercial Club and of the Oklahoma Press Association.
At Coalgate, June 3, 1903, Mr. Hickman married Miss Maggie Davidson. This union has been prolific of three children: Lucille, born in 1905; Bruce, born in 1907, and William, born in 1910.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




DAVID RUSSELL LUTTRELL

In the insurance field of Oklahoma City, a name that has come rapidly to the forefront in recent years is that of D. R. Luttrell, head of the D. R. Luttrell Insurance Agency. Formerly connected in various capacities with financial institutions, Mr. Luttrell entered the insurance business in 1912, and in three years has developed one of the strongest agencies in the state, representing six of the largest fire insurance companies in the world. Mr. Luttrell was born at Amissville, Virginia, May 19, 1876, and is a son of Burrell Edmond and Mary (Richie) Luttrell, natives of the Old Dominion state.
Mr. Luttrell received his education in the public schools of his native town, following which he took a complete course in a business college, and fortified with this preparation entered upon his career as a telegraph operator and stenographer. His first employment was with the Norfolk & Western Railway, but shortly resigned this position to accept a more advantageous offer with the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad, and subsequently held important posts with the Lake Erie & Western and Wabash Railroads, in the former being chief clerk to the superintendent. Mr. Luttrell came to Oklahoma City in 1908 to accept a position as bookkeeper in the Columbia Bank & Trust Company, and his capable and faithful services were recognized eight months later by his appointment to the position of paying teller. When the Columbia Bank & Trust Company closed, in 1909, it was succeeded by the Central State Bank, in which Mr. Luttrell was made assistant cashier, but resigned that post a few months later to travel in the interests of the Peoples National Bank, of Kansas City, Kansas. In 1910 he was made assistant cashier of the Oklahoma State Bank, and continued to act in that capacity until resigning to establish his present business.
For some time prior to 1910, Mr. Luttrell had been interested in the sale of fire insurance, which he had carried on as a side line, and he finally decided that this field presented favorable opportunities to an energetic and progressive concern. Accordingly, in the year mentioned, he founded the D. R. Luttrell Insurance Agency, of which he has been the directing head for three years and which he has built up, as previously noted, to one of the foremost agencies in the state. There is a loan branch now connected with the business. Six of the largest old line fire insurance companies in the world are represented, and the business has grown steady since its modest inception, now occupying offices at Suite No. 908-10-11 Herskowitz Building. As an active, efficient, courteous, polished business man and gentleman, Mr. Luttrell stands among those at the top of the list of bright young business men in a city which does not lack for men of this character, and in the midst of stern competition has steadfastly maintained his place. Mr. Luttrell is president of the Sons of the American Revolution, which now has a membership in the state exceeding 100.
At Detroit, Michigan, July 29, 1903, Mr. Luttrell was united in marriage with Miss Edna Clark, daughter of J. W. and Mary (Rufner) Clark, of that city. The family residence is at No. 1319 West Sixteenth Street, Oklahoma City. Mr. and Mrs. Luttrell are members of the First Christian Church of Oklahoma City, and he has served the church as financial secretary and is now a member of the official board.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




L. R. HUGHEY

The science of stock breeding, under the ideal conditions offered in the agricultural regions of Oklahoma, has attracted the activities of some of the most progressive of the farmers of this state, who have directed their operations in such a capable and intelligent manner that this state is becoming famous for its stock farms. One of the foremost of these is to be found in Alfalfa County, thirteen miles south of the City of Alva, where is located the breeding farm of L. R. Hughey, a man who has made a lifelong study of his vocation and whose success is strong evidence of the value of a scientific training for those who make livestock growing their vocation.
Mr. Hughey is a product of the farm and has spent his entire life amid agricultural surroundings. He was born on his father's homestead place in Clinton County, Ohio, November 12, 1874, his parents being T. H. and Sarah (Botts) Hughey, who are natives of the Buckeye State. Their lives have been passed in the pursuits of the soil, first in Ohio, and later in Nebraska, to which state they migrated in 1884, and from which they came to Oklahoma in 1899, being at the present time residents of Texas County. They have been industrious and energetic people all of their lives and are now in comfortable circumstances, passing their declining years surrounded by the comforts of life. They were married in Ohio in 1870, and have been the parents of seven sons and three daughters, namely: Elbridge; L. R., of this notice; Charles Otterbein; Alvira, who is deceased; William J.; Harley; Leota, who is deceased; Albert; Izette; and one son who died in infancy.
The early education of L. R. Hughey was secured in Clinton County, Ohio, where he divided his boyhood between attending the public schools and work on his father's farm until he was ten years of age. In that year he accompanied the family to Nebraska, and there he completed his education in the public schools and continued his operations in agricultural work. From early boyhood he was interested in the raising and breeding of stock, and as he grew older he became convinced that scientific methods were the solution of the successful breeding of animals, and particularly of horses and jacks. Accordingly, he began to apply himself to the study of the subject, securing all information available pertaining to the matter, and finally entered Graham's Scientific Breeding School, of Kansas City, Missouri, where he took a complete course and was duly graduated. In 1900 he left Nebraska and came to Oklahoma, where he purchased a property in Alfalfa County, 4½ miles from Dacoma and thirteen miles southeast of Alva, where he commenced the establishment of an up-to-date stock farm. As the years have passed he has added from time to his buildings and equipment until he now has a model farm of the most modern character, complete in every respect, with large breeding barns, all appliances and appurtenances of the most approved nature, and a number of innovations which are inventions of his own. Here have been bred some of the finest horses and jacks that have come out of the State of Oklahoma. In his stable now are to be found such noble and valuable animals as "Moselli," an imported stallion, American No. 5117, Belgian stud book No. 58726, imported from Belgium in July, 1910, by Finch Brothers, of Vernon and Joliet, Illinois, and said to be one of the finest Belgian draft horses in this country; and "Governor Hadley," a jack, No. 29292, a registered Black Mammoth animal, which was sired by "Cyclone II," a Missouri animal. Mr. Hughey holds yearly demonstrations, during which breeders come from all parts of the country. In his own particular field has gained a rapidly-growing reputation, of which he may be well proud, for it has been gained through his own unaided efforts and the following out of ideas which originated with him.
Mr. Hughey was married April 15, 1895, to Miss Carrie Peas, who was born at Victoria, Illinois, daughter of Alonzo and Emily (Strong) Peas, of Johnson County, Nebraska. Four children were born to this union: Lynn LeRoy, Harold and Charles, who are deceased; and Rozella, who was born June 25, 1904, and is now attending the public schools. Mr. Hughey and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in the work of which he has taken a keen interest, having been superintendent of the Sunday school for five years. His fraternal connection is with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




JOHN O. MITCHELL

Ten years has seen the making of Tulsa as a city and commercial center of Oklahoma. Even for the Southwest, Tulsa's growth has been remarkable. It has been well said that men not buildings and material things make a city, and wonderful though Tulsa's position and resources are, it has required the faith, enthusiasm and enterprise of such men as John O. Mitchell to produce the modern Tulsa. Hand in hand with his extended business activities has gone a republic spirit which has kept a continuous directing force in those movements most vital to Tulsa's prosperity. It was a singularly fitting recognition of his business and civic leadership when he was called to become the president of the first commission government in Tulsa, and as Tulsa was the first city in the state to acquire that progressive type of municipal organization he was the first commission mayor in Oklahoma.
Prior to his removal to Tulsa in 1904 Mr. Mitchell's life and activities were centered largely in Southern Missouri. He was born in Dade County in that section of the state October 22, 1862, a son of DeWitt C. and Nancy (Carey) Mitchell, who were natives of Tennessee. His father was born on the Holston River not far from Knoxville in 1833, and died in 1880 when but forty-seven years of age. In 1855 he removed to Dade County, Missouri, became a pioneer farmer and stock raiser, and was content to be recognized as a substantial agriculturist, and never entered politics for the sake of office. He was a republican, during the Civil war participated as a soldier in the Union army, and was in the crucial battle of Wilson's Creek on August 10, 1861, in which the lamented General Lyons lost his life. Mrs. Mitchell was born at Jefferson, Tennessee, and died in 1908. Of her ten children, nine are still living.
The third in order of birth, John O. Mitchell, spent his early life in Southern Missouri, attended the public schools and was also a student at Ozark College. Like many other successful men he began his career as a school teacher, and for eight years had various schools under his charge. In the meantime he was also working at farming and stock raising, and also operated a general merchandise store. For many years his interests were chiefly as a farmer, and he developed his holdings to large proportions. He is still recognized as one of the leading live stock men in Dade County, and for a number of years bought cattle, hogs and mules and was frequently seen in the Kansas City market. Mr. Mitchell still has extensive holdings in Southern Missouri, owning about 1,400 acres near Lockwood, a farm from which he produced in 1915, 4,000 bushels of wheat, and also keeps 180 head of cattle and 200 hogs. He was also identified with the Dade County Bank, and was one of its directors until his removal to Tulsa in August, 1904. The first political honors he ever received were in his native state. Without solicitation on his part he was nominated as a candidate for the General Assembly on the democratic ticket in a strong republican county. Congressman David DeArmond was a candidate on the same ticket. Mr. Mitchell's popularity and reputation was such that in spite of normal conditions he lost the election by only eighty votes. He was a member of the convention that nominated David Francis for governor of Missouri at Sedalia.
With an unusual breadth of experience and with extensive resources in a business way Mr. Mitchell became an aggressive factor in the development of Tulsa as soon as he located there. That same year he was a Tulsa committeeman in the delegation which went from Oklahoma to Washington for the purpose of advocating joint statehood, and the committee's decision was one of the important factors in influencing the deliberations of Congress, which less than two years later enacted the statehood law for Oklahoma and Indian Territory. In 1906 Mr. Mitchell was elected mayor of Tulsa on the democratic ticket and served one term. In 1910, after the legislature had granted the city a commission charter, he was elected mayor and his personal influence was important in making this municipal experiment a success in Oklahoma, and as a result many other cities have since followed the example of Tulsa and are now efficiently governed by the commission charter.
Only a brief outline can be attempted of Mr. Mitchell's varied business associations with Tulsa and Oklahoma. He became interest in the Illinois Oil and Gas Company of Red Fork, which built a brick plant using for fuel some of the abundant natural gas produced in that section and the brick was shipped in large quantities to Tulsa during its great building boom and also to other points in Oklahoma. In 1907 he was one of the organizers of the Central National Bank of Tulsa, was elected its first vice president, and still holds that office. He was vice president and one of the large stockholders in the Barnes Oil Company, which in 1909 sold its interests for $750,000 to the Prairie Oil & Gas Company. He was also at one time owner of the Galbreath Oil & Gas Company of Tulsa, which subsequently was sold to the Oklahoma Natural Gas Company. Mr. Mitchell was associated with that pioneer oil man, Robert Galbreath, in the development of the famous Glenn Pool, and he still retains large holdings in the oil and gas producing companies in Northeastern Oklahoma. Outside of Oklahoma Mr. Mitchell has valuable business property on Walnut Street in Kansas City, owns a half interest in the Mitchell & Barnes Addition on Grand Avenue in the City of Dallas, Texas, a property valued at $200,000, and he laid out and developed the suburb of West Tulsa, and also has extensive real estate holdings in Tulsa proper. Mr. Mitchell is president of the Democratic Printing Company of Tulsa, [sic] All who are at all familiar with the development of Tulsa within the last decade freely credit Mr. Mitchell with a most important share in the business and civic activities of the city. His name is usually found at the top of any roll of supporters of public spirited movements, and it has been his privilege to have initiated enterprises that have been of marked material benefit to the city.
Mr. Mitchell possess that genial social character which gives him standing in all organizations for social purposes, and was one of the leading spirits in organizing the Elks Home at Tulsa. He is a past exalted ruler of Tulsa Lodge No. 946 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and in 1885 took his first degree in Masonry in Garrett Lodge, A. F. & A. M., at Acola, Missouri. He is now identified with the Scottish Rite Consistory at South McAlester and with Akdar Temple of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine at Tulsa.
Mr. Mitchell has one of the fine homes of Tulsa and is justifiably proud of his fine family. February 25, 1886, he married Miss Alice M. Young, who was born near Greenfield, Missouri. To their marriage have been born six children, two of whom died in infancy. Belva L. is the wife of Ralph H. Shaw of Tulsa; Garland G. is an energetic young business man of Tulsa; Young O. is a graduate of the University of Kansas and is now engaged in business at Tulsa; and Eudora, who is a graduate of Fairmont Seminary, is the wife of John H. Harvey of Tulsa.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




HENRY McGRAW

A member of the Tulsa bar since 1911, Henry McGraw is numbered among the substantial lawyers of this city, where he has been connected for several years with the Gulf Pipe Line Company of Oklahoma, in the capacity of assistant attorney. Mr. McGraw was born at Leavenworth, Kansas, May 9, 1877, and is a son of Thomas and Anna (Gilmore) McGraw.
Thomas McGraw was born in County Down, Ireland, and was a child when brought to this county in a sailing vessel, landing at New York City during the '40s. Gradually he drifted to the West and located in Kansas, where he spent some years at Leavenworth, but in 1893 came to Oklahoma and settled in the vicinity of Ponca City, Kay County, where he engaged in farming and stockraising as a pioneer. He still continues to be active in his operations and through industry and perseverance has made a success of his ventures. He is a republican, but has not been identified with political affairs save as a voter. While a resident of Leavenworth, Kansas, Mr. McGraw was married to Miss Anna Gilmore, who was born in County Clare, Ireland, came as a child with her parents to America, and settled with them in Kansas. She also survives. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. McGraw, of whom seven survive, Henry being the fifth child in order of birth.
After attending the public schools of Leavenworth, Henry McGraw entered the University of Oklahoma, where he took his literary course, then taking up his law studies in the law department of the University of Kansas, from which he was graduated in 1901, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. At that time he began the active practice of his profession at Ponca City, but subsequently removed to Perry, Oklahoma, where for three years he was associated with Judge Thomas H. Doyle. This partnership terminated in 1904. Mr. McGraw, at statehood, removed to Sapulpa, Oklahoma, and in 1911 he came to Tulsa, and here has since been assistant attorney for the Gulf Pipe Line Company of Oklahoma. He is considered a close and careful student of his profession, and belongs to the Oklahoma State Bar Association and the American Bar Association. In political matters he is a republican, but the duties of his practice have kept him from engaging in public affairs. He maintains offices on the seventh floor of the Clinton Building.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




PHIL C. KIDD

One of the prominent young bankers of Oklahoma, Phil C. Kidd is vice president of the First National bank of Norman. His banking experience began in St. Louis soon after he finished his work in the public schools and in addition to a thorough training in a metropolitan banking center.
Born at Lexington, Kentucky, October 30, 1886, Mr. Kidd has a number of interesting and prominent relationships with old families. His parents were Philip C. and Lelia (Major) Kidd, his father a Kentucky stockman who died in 1897. His mother was born in Pettis County, Missouri, and is a descendent of the noted DuPays family of France, whose lineage is traced back authentically to the tenth or eleventh century. Her ancestors were the French Protestants or Huguenots and were among the many thousands driven out of that country after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685 and subsequently found refuge in America. In the paternal line Mr. Kidd had as one of his great-grandfathers Abraham Clark, who was one of the representatives of the Colony of New Jersey in planning the Declaration of Independence in 1776, and was subsequently a member of the Constitutional Convention which framed the present Constitution of the United States.
Phil C. Kidd was educated in the schools of Missouri and on leaving school in 1904 entered the employ of the National Bank of Commerce at St. Louis. He spent six years with that institution as a clerk, and at the same time carried on his studies in the Benton College of Law at St. Louis, where he was graduated LL. B. in 1910. Instead of taking up practice as an attorney he was made traveling representative for the National Bank of Commerce and for three years traveled over the large area tributary to that financial institution. Then in July, 1913, he came to Norman, Oklahoma, and has since been vice president of the First National Bank.
Mr. Kidd is a member of the Sons of the American Revolution, one of his direct ancestors having helped to win the struggle for independence. He is also prominent in Masonry, has taken thirty-two degrees in the Scottish Rite, is a member of the Consistory at St. Louis, and of India Temple of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine at Oklahoma City.
At Norman, Oklahoma, on November 27, 1912, he married Miss Ina Mary Johnson, a daughter of E. B. Johnson, one of the leading bankers and citizens of Oklahoma and president of the First National bank of Norman. Mr. and Mrs. Kidd are the parents of a daughter, Mary Lelia Kidd, born March 29, 1915. Their home is at 303 South Webster Avenue, Norman.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




HON. WILBURN NASH REDWINE

With a record as a lawyer that has stood the test of all requirements during his twenty years of practice at McAlester, the professional career of Mr. Redwine, important though it has been, must yield a second place to his broad and varied public service which he performed as senator from the Twenty-fifth Senatorial District, Pittsburg County. He was a member of the State Senate from statehood for seven years, throughout the formative period of Oklahoma's legislative life and among the many who deserve credit for having formulated Oklahoma's original statutes it is no invidious discrimination to point out former Senator Redwine for special honor.
In a very few days after the organization of the First Senate of the new state the man from Pittsburg County was looked upon as one of that intelligent and influential group who would direct and control the real results of the first session. But it was in the closing hours of the First Legislature, in May, 1908, that Senator Redwine came to the front as the champion of popular interests in the state, especially in his gallant and determined opposition to the school land bill which came up for consideration at a time when no proper consideration could be given it, and evidently for the purpose of getting it passed in the confusion marking the close of the session. The bill was championed by Senator Johnson, but Senator Redwine at once took up the gage of combat and it was a battle royal in the legislative arena for several hours before the senator for Pittsburg County was left victor and master of the field. In [sic] was claimed and properly so that the passing of the school land bill in the form in which it was introduced in the First Legislature would have cost the people of the State of Oklahoma millions of dollars, or rather that amount would have been sacrificed to the present and future generations. It was Senator Redwine's vigorous opposition that killed the bill, and at the close of his brilliant speech he said: "I would not be doing justice to my oath or the state to vote to sell the land under the conditions of this unfair bill."
Of Southern antecedents and of fine old Southern lineage Wilburn Nash Redwine was born on a farm in Colbert County, Alabama, March 13, 1862, a son of John W. and Marinda (Burns) Redwine. He was one of a family of seven children, the others being named Frank; Calvin, deceased; Thomas; Marcus D.; Rufus; and Mary Frances. John W. Redwine, their father, was born in North Carolina and was of German ancestry. The mother was a native of South Carolina and with her parents moved to Alabama about 1840. About the same time John W. Redwine, then a young man, established his home in Alabama, where he soon afterwards met and married Miss Burns. The rest of his career was spent in the quiet vocation and with the success of a southern planter and farmer, except for the period of the Civil war, during which he fought in the ranks as a Confederate soldier.
Reared in a good home, though his early youth was spent in the period when the South was recovering from the disastrous effects of the war, Wilburn Nash Redwine had a fine training and his ambition led him to gain a liberal education, largely at the expense of his own efforts and careful economy. He attended the noted normal schools at Lebanon and Ada Ohio, and in 1892 completed his course of law in the Cumberland University of Lebanon, Tennessee, gaining the degree of LL. B. After three years of experience as a lawyer elsewhere, Mr. Redwine identified himself with Indian Territory, and since 1895 his home has been at McAlester. While his powers have reached their climax as a trial and jury lawyer, he is almost equally competent as a counselor, and is a man of sound legal education, absolute integrity of character, and with such abilities as would command precedence in any state.
He had already acquired an enviable position in old Indian Territory before statehood. His position was such that he could hardly have avoided the honors of public leadership when Indian Territory became the State of Oklahoma. He had been active as a democrat for a number of years, and was elected the first state senator from the Twenty-fifth Senatorial District of Pittsburg County. By subsequent re-election he remained a hard working public servant in the State senate for seven years.
His record as a legislator can be traced for all time through the statue books of the state. He was the author of several bills enacted in the law, including the State Mining Law, the Anti-Trust Law, and was largely influential in bringing about the passing of what by competent authorities has been regarded as the best code of labor laws found in any state of the Union. He also assisted in passing the Farmers Usury Law. He was a member of many important committees, served as chairman of the Public Service Corporation Committee and as a member of the committees on private corporations, judiciary No. 1, federal relations committee. [sic] public buildings committee, mining and manufacturing appropriations committee, timber, oil and coal lands committee and on the committee of rules. The reputation as a debater which came to him in the first session, particularly as a result of his gallant fight in opposition to the school land bill, followed him throughout his senatorial career.
In 1900 Senator Redwine married Miss Mattie Buck of McAlester, who was born at Macon, Mississippi. They have one son, John Nash Redwine.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




MATTHEW G. NELSON

In the person of Matthew G. Nelson is found an example of that material which has brought Woods County to a full realization of its agricultural possibilities. Endowed with native ability, backed by business shrewdness and commendable ambition, this agriculturist has worked his way to the ownership of a fine farm, located six miles west of Dacoma, and which he is devoting to general farming and stockraising. A resident of this community since 1898 there are evidences of his progressive methods on every hand and of his endeavor to attain to the best achieved thus far in agricultural science.
Mr. Nelson was born April 20, 1877, on a farm in Jefferson County, Pennsylvania, and is a son of Andrew and Anna (Rhinehart) Nelson. His father, a native of Ireland, was born in January, 1828, and was a youth of seventeen years when he emigrated to the United States. Locating at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, he there learned the trade of wagonmaking, which he followed in that city until 1878, then removing to Russell County, Kansas, and settling on Government land. He was a pioneer of that part of Kansas and continued to be engaged in farming there until 1898, when he disposed of his interests and removed to Woods County, Oklahoma. Here he continued to be identified with agricultural operations until his death, which occurred November 21, 1906. In 1851 Mr. Nelson was married to Miss Mary Ruth, who died June 23, 1861. They were the parents of one son and four daughters, of whom all are now deceased except one, who is now Mrs. Mary L. Smith. Mr. Nelson was married a second time, August 27, 1863, when united with Miss Anna B. Rhinehart, who was born in Pennsylvania, November 2, 1838, and died May 20, 1909, in Woods County, Oklahoma. Six children were born to this union, as follows: Carrie, Annie, Laura, Laila, John W. and Matthew G.
Matthew G. Nelson was but two years of age when brought to the West by his parents, and in Russell County, Kansas, he was reared amid the surroundings of the home farm and secured his education in the district schools. On attaining his majority, in 1898, he came to Woods County, Oklahoma, and here purchased his present farm, six miles west of Dacoma, on which he has since continued to carry on operations. He now has a valuable and fertile property, with substantial buildings and improvements of the most modern kind, and is considered one of the progressive and intelligent husbandmen of his locality. A friend of progress and education he has been selected by his fellow-citizens to serve as a member of the board of township trustees and of the school board, and in both capacities has endeavored to advance as far as has lain in his power the best interests of his part of the county. Mr. Nelson is a democrat and an active worker in the ranks of his party. He and the members of his family belong to Holiness Christian Church.
On September 11, 1901, in Barton County, Kansas, Mr. Nelson was united in marriage with Miss Laura Childs, who was born July 7, 1878, a daughter of Charles and Jennie (Stone) Childs, natives of Peoria, Illinois. Mrs. Nelson, who had been a schoolteacher in Barton County Kansas, for several years previous to her marriage, died in Woods County, Oklahoma, August 31, 1912. She had been the mother of three sons and one daughter, all born in Woods County, as follows: Charles Andrew, January 13, 1903; Laura Belle, August 25, 1904; Harry Earl, April 15, 1906; and Everett Dean, July 22, 1908.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




ERNEST B. DUNLAP, M. D.

A prominent physician and surgeon of Oklahoma Dr. Ernest B. Dunlap has had a great variety of experience and his attainments have not been of a mediocre order. He is vice president and a director of the Southwestern Hospital Association at Lawton, in which city he has been established in a general practice for the past seven or eight years.
Ernest B. Dunlap was born at Eden, Alabama, July 24, 1881, a son of Dr. Perry G. and Jennie B. (Turner) Dunlap. The Dunlap family originated in England, and settled in South Carolina during colonial days. Dr. Perry G. Dunlap was born in Alabama in 1862, and in 1907 came out to Lawton, Oklahoma. He was in practice in that city until January, 1912, since which date he has lived at Porter, Alabama. He is a graduate in medicine from the Vanderbilt University at Nashville, is also a native of Alabama. Their living children are: Dr. Ernest B.; Ellis, a merchant at Adger, Alabama; Carl Walton, who is in service with the United States Navy, but whose home is at Bremmerton, Washington; Vivian, of Anniston, Alabama; Lucile, a teacher at Livingston, Alabama; and Hurteline, a student in the public schools of Porter.
Dr. Ernest B. Dunlap attended the common schools at Eden, Alabama, and in 1902 graduated A. B. from the Southern University. His medical studies were pursued in the Birmingham Medical College, where he received his degree Doctor of Medicine in 1906. He is a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon college fraternity and the Phi Chi medical fraternity. During his college days he took a prominent interest in athletics, particularly football and baseball, and was also president of the college Y. M. C. A. He has been a member of Board of Education of Lawton for past six years and has been president of this board for the past four years [sic].
Doctor Dunlap had an unusually thorough training and experience before taking up individual practice. He spent nearly two years as interne in St. Vincent's General Hospital in New York City, was for four months connected with the health department of that city, and three months in the Lying-in Hospital. For about two months he was assistant surgeon at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. Doctor Dunlap began his active individual practice at Lawton in October, 1908, and now has a large clientage in general medicine and surgery. His offices are in the First National Bank Building. He is a member of the County and State Medical societies and the American Medical Association and was appointed by Governor Williams on State Board of Medical examiners, April 17, 1915. He was elected president of the board at the meeting in January, 1916. He holds a commission from the United States Government with the rank of first lieutenant in the Medical Reserve Corps. His church is the Methodist Episcopal in which he is a trustee, and his politics is democratic. Doctor Dunlap is a member of Lawton Lodge No. 183, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Lawton Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, and belongs to the Lawton Chamber of Commerce.
On January 20, 1909, at Greensboro, Alabama, Doctor Dunlap married Miss Willie Walton. Her father, the late J. J. Walton, was a prominent plantation owner at Greensboro. To their marriage have been born three children, all of them still young and at home: Mary Virginia, Jack Walton, and E. B., Jr.
(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)




AUSTIN FLINT MOSS

The rapid growth and development of the City of Tulsa as the metropolis of the oil and gas district of Oklahoma has naturally attracted to that center many men of foremost ability in both business and the professions. Austin F. Moss is one of the leading lawyers who has recently identified himself with Tulsa after a board experience as a lawyer in other sections of Oklahoma. Mr. Moss possess a fine heritage from worthy and honorable ancestors, solid native ability, is one of the fortunate men who started life with a liberal education, and with a dozen years of experience in the law he is fortified for success at practice.
Austin Flint Moss was born at Hodgenville, LaRue County, Kentucky, January 22, 1880. His parents are

(A Standard History of Oklahoma, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman) 

TOM PARKINSON CAMP.

In a listing of the State’s industries in 1926, Mr. Camp was counted as of the twenty master farmers of Oklahoma, no slight distinction in this vast State of great agricultural importance, one that is so rich in arable land that its Indian name, meaning “beautiful land” is peculiarly fitting. Mr. Camp is not a native of the State, but came here from Illinois, where he was born at Macomb, on April 2, 1878, a son of Thomas Jefferson and Maria Lou Camp. His father was a farmer and also a merchant and postmaster of the town, and a Civil War veteran.

Mr. Camp attended school through the high school grade and started in farming for himself at the age of nineteen, first in White County, Arkansas. He moved to Oklahoma in 1907 and bought a hundred and twenty acres of land for twenty dollars an acre. Now, he and his brother own and farm one thousand and sixty acres. They are known throughout the State as the “sweet potato Camp.” Their own storage houses will hold twenty-two thousand bushels and their average yield over many years has been two hundred bushels per acre. In addition to sweet potatoes, Tom Camp raises corn, oats, kafir, alfalfa, sweet clover and Irish potatoes. Mr. Camp practices a system of crop rotation and the sweet and Irish potatoes are grown on land once in four years and the other crops filling in the rotation. Tom Camp is an active participant in the Farmers’ Union and belongs also to the Oklahoma Cotton Growers’ Association. Except for three “eighties” that Mr. Camp drew in his early days in Oklahoma, the entire vast farm has been paid for out of the profits of its own operations. He is a Democrat in his political thought and interested in many practical ways in the welfare of the community. He has served as a director of schools, but that is the extent of his office-holding. He is, however, president of the local of the Farmers’ Union and secretary of the Masonic Lodge of Beebe, Arkansas, and a thirty-second degree Mason. He is a member of the Kiwanis Club, of the Master Farmers’ Club and of the Izaak Walton League. For five years Mr. Camp belonged to the Arkansas National Guards, in Company E, 2nd Arkansas Regiment.

On April 29, 1908, at Beebe, Arkansas, Tom Parkinson Camp was married to Luna Cobb, daughter of Andrew Jackson and Ella Frances Cobb. They are the parents of three children: Thomas Cable, born September 1, 1912; Frances Marion, born June 21, 1914; and Edna May, born June 14, 1917.

(Source: Oklahoma, A History of the State and Its People, by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright, Volume IV; Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc. New York, 1929; transcribed by Susan Geist)

BISHOP FRANCIS CLEMENT KELLEY— One of the most widely known and influential Catholic churchmen in America, Bishop Francis Clement Kelley succeeded the late Bishop Theophile Meerschaert the bishopric of the Catholic Diocese of Oklahoma, on October 2, 1924.  He brought to his charge a celebrated record, having been founder and for nineteen years president of the Catholic Church Extension Society of the United States of America; founder and chief editor of the "Extension" magazine issued in the cause of church extension or building; being an honorary canon of three metropolitan chapters (the cathedrals of Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Morelia), prothonotary Apostolic to the Pope, and author of seven volumes of romances and otherwise, having bearing on religion.  He is a world figure.

Bishop Kelley was born November 24, 1870, on Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Canada, second child of John and Mary (Murphy) Kelley.  Given a natural love of books and matters intellectual, his parents encouraged him to read, and his mother assisted him in his desire to become a Catholic priest.  He completed the arts course at St. Dunstan's College, then studied philosophy and theology in two affiliated Seminaries of the University of Laval in Quebec.  He learned to read French, and to speak it with a fluency almost native.  In later years he built upon this classic basis a mastery of several languages, including a knowledge of Spanish and Italian.  There followed this five years' work at higher studies several trips to New England States.  He took citizenship papers in Massachusetts.  Too young at the time of his graduation for ordination, he waited for a dispensation, and at the age of twenty-two years and two months was ordained, for the Diocese of Detroit, and made pastor of the country parish of Lapeer, Michigan, sixty miles to the North of Detroit.  His struggles there were tremendous, of a material character, as the church facilities were dilapidated and incomplete; and it was during his efforts at upbuilding that he struck upon the idea of a church extension organization for the Catholic faith.  His trials at Lapeer were great.  One church edifice was near completion, the amount of money needed having been $8,000, for which sum Father Kelley insured his life — then went as a priest into the Spanish-American War, but returned alive, and emaciated.  It was later that he met Archbishop Quigley, of the archdiocese of Chicago, and enlisted his support in aid of the extension project.  In October, 1905, the two gathered about them seventeen Church leaders, discussed the idea, and the Catholic Church Extension Society of America was born.  For a year Bishop Kelley maintained the society's headquarters in Lapeer; then, the town's facilities and location proving ill-suited to the mounting importance of the organization, he removed it to Chicago.  It was there that he began publication of "Extension," and through the medium of his operations was pleased to see hundreds of new churches built throughout the nation.  In the early stages of the extension program its work was blessed by Pope Pius X, and later Bishop Kelley established personal contact with the Pope, making nine journeys to Rome.  Pope Pius granted him favors due to his position as president of the now valuable society, and in another year Pope Benedict XV used his services on a special diplomatic mission to England.  Bishop Kelley's contacts extended into Mexico, into Canada (where he assisted in founding the Canadian Catholic Extension Society), into England, Belgium, France, and Germany.  During the early stages of his extension work he founded a publishing house in Chicago, primarily to print "Extension"; and then evolved the idea of conducting it partly for publication of religious volumes, first publishing one of his own works.  These now include:  "Charred Wood," a novel; "Dominus Vobiscum," and "Letters to Jack," books of essays; "The City and the World," short stories; "The Story of Extension," and two smaller books, "The Last Battle of the Gods," and "The Flaming Cross."  From the University of Laval Bishop Kelley received the degree of Doctor of Theology; from Notre Dame the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws; from the Pope the highest rank among the minor prelates, and his bishopric in 1924; from Louvain, in Belgium, the degrees of Doctor of Philosophy and Letters; and other distinctions.  As a public speaker Bishop Kelley is of singular force, of poise, charm and wit.  His whole life is given to the church, and by the Catholics of the West and South his name is the first thought of when outside help is needed.

Unbending as far as strict allegiance to the Catholic Church is concerned, Bishop Kelley has done much to promote kindness and understanding everywhere.  He has something of the age-old patience of the church, and, over and beyond everything that he thinks, says and does, is the church.

(Source:  Oklahoma, A History of the State and its People, by Joseph B. Thoburn and Muriel H. Wright, Volume IV:  Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., New York, 1929; transcribed by Mary Saggio.)


  



Back To Biographies



Back to


 the Main Index Page for Oklahoma
©Genealogy Trails