FAIN, JOHN A.
United States attorney for the Western District of Oklahoma, John A. Fain's work as a lawyer had already brought him many distinctions in Northern Texas and Oklahoma before he entered upon the duties of his present office at the beginning of 1914. Mr. Fain was one of the first members of the bar at Lawton, where for a short time his office was in a tent after the opening of tha Kiowa and Comanche country. A particularly noteworthy phase of his career was his prominent connection with the Swanson County dissolution case, which he conducted through practically all the courts of record in Oklahoma to a successful conclusion. Mr. Fain is now living in Oklahoma City, with offices in the Federal Building.
He was born at Weatherford, Texas, August 20, 1870, a son of John A. and Elizabeth Peyton (Hart) Fain. His father, who was born in Georgia, came to Texas as an early settler in 1856, and for many years was in the general merchandise business until his death in 1906. The mother was a native of Kentucky and died in 1904.
Mr. Fain prefaced his professional career with a liberal education. He is a graduate with the class of 1892 and the degree A. B. from Southwestern University at Georgetown. Texas. His chief preceptor in the study of law was his brother-in-law, Judge G. A. Brown, now an associate justice of the Supreme Court of Oklahoma. Judge Brown's office at that time was at Vernon, Texas, where Mr. Fain was admitted to the bar in 1893. His active practice began as member of the firm of Stephens, Huff & Fain at Vernon, where he lived until 1896, and then became a member of the firm of Alexander & Fain at Weatherford, Texas, and was one of the able members of the Parker County bar until 1901.
At the opening of the Kiowa and Comanche country to settlement, Mr. Fain moved to Lawton, and as already stated his first office was a tent. He practiced alone until 1906, and then took John M. Young as associate under the name Fain & young. This firm was maintained until January 4, 1914, at which date Mr. Fain received his appointment as United States attorney for the Western District of Oklahoma, with offices in the state capital.
At the beginning of statehood in 1907 Mr. Fain was elected county attorney of Comanche County, and held that office from November 16, 1907, to January 6, 1913. During his administration as governor Mr. Haskell caused the creation of the new County of Swanson out of parts of Kiowa and Comanche counties. Mr. Fain, as county attorney of Comanche County, brought suit for the dissolution of this county. The case was long contested and attracted much attention. It passed through all the state courts and was finally adjudicated in the Supreme Court of the United States. The final decision directed the dissolution of Swanson County. The decision was not only notable locally to those directly interested in Swanson County, but established permanent precedent for the creation of new counties. The principal rule evolved from this litigation was that where a county is created from portions of two or more counties already existing, at least sixty per cent of the legal voters in the territory affected must favor the incorporation of such territory within the limits of the proposed now county. Following the final decision in the Swanson County case, considerable confusion was caused by reason of the Swanson County officials refusing to abide by the decision and failing to recognize the proper officials of Kiowa and Comanche counties. It was only by the energetic measures taken by Mr. Fain that matters were finally brought to a peaceful solution.
Coincident with the adoption of the constitution the people of Oklahoma voted for statewide prohibition. Before statehood open saloons had been permitted in Oklahoma Territory. Hence men charged with law enforcement at the outset of statehood were confronted with many violations of the prohibition law. Mr. Fain was among the first county attorneys who had, more than any other officials, to wrestle with the bootlegging problem. Few encountered a more determined set of violators. Comanche County once had had more than a hundred saloons. Public sentiment was divided, which encouraged law violations. Mr. Fain, remembering his oath of office, undertook to rid Lawton, the county seat of Comanche County, and other towns of bootleggers. The records show that he was more successful than any other county attorney during the period of time in which he served.
In its earlier years Lawton had a reputation of being the home of an unusually large element of undesirable citizens. Some of them remained at statehood. They organized an opposition to his enforcement activities to the extent of placing a bomb inside his office door, which luckily did not explode when he opened the door next merning. Divers threats were made against him, some of them demanding his life, and for months during the heated part of his campaign for "cleaning up" the county it was not safe for him to travel alone at night.
These facts constitute an important phase of history in what originally was the Kiowa and Comanche Indian country that was opened to settlement in 1901. The country had been ranged over by cowmen, blanketed Indians and adventurers, and when it was opened for homestead purposes one of the largest contingents of riffraff ever assembled in the West settled there. To get rid of their kind when the people of the territories were granted statehood was an undertaking that required unusual courage, although the element had dwindled to small proportions. The tree, easy and untrammeled life of the prairies had to be trimmed and expurgated so that it would fit agreeably into the new life that men and women of good character from all over the nation had established there. Hence the activities ot Mr. Fain as county attorney make a really vital chapter in the history of that section of the state.
Mr. Fain is a democrat, is past chancellor commander of the Knights of Pythias at Lawton, affiliates with Lawton Lodge No. 1046, B. P. O. H., with the Woodmen of the World at Lawton, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
In 1896 he married Miss Maud Johnson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Johnson, of Vernon, Texas. Mrs. Fain and both her parents were natives of Tennessee, and the family moved to Texas about 1893. To their marriage have been born two sons: John Clark Fain, born in 1899, and Charles Lesley Fain, born in 1907. [Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
JACKSON, LEWIS B
Some of his more intimate friends recall the fact that Lewis B. Jackson arrived in Sapulpa about eleven years ago in the role of a very poor lawyer. What he has been able to achieve since then is pretty well known all over Creek County. Mr. Jackson is president of the American National Bank of Sapulpa, is one of the wealthiest oil producers in this section of Oklahoma, and now finds time for only an occasional law case, since his business interests have overshadowed his profession. One distinction that should be mentioned was that he was the first county attorney elected by Creek County after statehood.
Born October 27, 1875, in Decatur County, Iowa, he is a son of W. C. and Elizabeth (Beal) Jackson. His parents were natives of Ohio and came to Iowa when children with their respective families, and they were married in Clark County, Iowa. The father died when his son Lewis was five years of age. The mother left Iowa in 1904 and is now living at Stockton, California. W. C. Jackson was a man of considerable prominence in the State of Iowa. He was a school teacher for a number of years, and a short time prior to the Civil war lost a leg, and thus handicapped he found nevertheless many opportunities for useful service. He served three terms as auditor of his home county and was also superintendent of the public schools. At the time of his death he was candidate for secretary of state. There were eight children in the family, but of the five sons Lewis B. Jackson was the only one to reach maturity. His sister Ella G. Warner lives in Stockton, California. His sister Mary, now deceased, was the wife of C. W. Hoffman, now an attorney at Leon, Iowa; and Ester is now Mrs. E. R. Patch of Chico, California.
Lewis B. Jackson was reared and lived in Decatur County, Iowa, until 1904, which year he came to Sapulpa. After graduating from the public schools at Leon he attended Drake University in the law department, and was admitted to the Iowa bar in 1900. He began practice at Leon, Iowa, enjoyed some success there, but was not fairly started in life when he came to Sapulpa. Hero he continued in practice and at statehood was elected the first county attorney for Creek County, an office he filled for three and a half years. Mr. Jackson was an active member of the Sapulpa bar until about two years ago, but is seldom seen in court cases any more. Since then he has given his time to his extensive business as an oil producer and to the American National Bank of which he is presidont. He has been identified with this institution since its organization, and was vice president for a time. His interests as an oil producer are in Creek, Tulsa and Okmulgee counties. He also helped to organize the Sapulpa Storage and Transfer Company, now one of the largest business concerns in the city.
Politically Mr. Jackson has been a democrat all his life and along with other service he was for one year city attorney of Sapulpa. He is affiliated with the Masons, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
On March 2, 1902, he married Miss Pearl Burk, who was born in Ohio, a daughter of Henry Burk. They are the parents of three children: William C., Christine and Lewis B., Jr. [Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
MARS, FRANK L.
One of the most reliable and progressive members of the Creek County bar, who stands high in professional ability and as a man of broad business and financial judgment, is Frank L. Mars, of the firm of Mars & Brown, at Sapulpa. He has not alone an excellent record as a trial lawyer, but his constructive ability, as demonstrated by the various organizations with which he has been identified, has won for him a still higher place in the esteem and confidence of his clients.
Frank L. Mars was born in Campbell County, Tennessee, July 19, 1872, and is a son of Wellington R. and Elizabeth Young (Owens) Mars. His grandfather, James Mars, was born in Ireland and was an early settler of Virginia, from which state he moved to Eastern Tennessee and was a resident there at the organization of Campbell County. A mason by trade, he gradually developed into a leading contractor in brick and stone, and in addition to erecting many fine buildings was also extensively engaged in farming and stock raising, and had large agricultural interests. He died in Campbell County at the age of eighty-four years. Of his children, four grew to maturity: Wellington R., Lou, Sarah and Patsie. Wellington R. Mars was born in Fincastle, Virginia, in 1834, and was a child when taken by his parents to Tennessee. There his subsequent life was passed in the pursuits of farming and raising stock, his death occurring in 1877. He was a republican and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Mars died in Tennessee, July 26, 1872.
After completing his early education in the graded and high schools of his native locality, Frank L. Mars entered the University of Tennessee for special work. About the year 1892 he went to Missouri, where he studied law in the University of Missouri, at Columbia, for two years, and then further prepared himself by reading law in an office at Carrollton. He likewise spent a short period at St. Louis, and In 1897 came to Sapulpa, Oklahoma, at that time a town of less than five hundred population. For a time he practiced alone, but was subsequently a member of the firm of Mars & Mars, and later of Mars, Burke & Harrison, with which concerns he built up an enviable reputation and a large professional business. In 1912 Mr. Mars went to California, where he had large business interests, but in the spring of 1915 returned to Sapulpa, where he has since been a member of the firm of Mars & Brown, the concern specializing in estates, land titles and corporation law. Mr. Mars' practice has covered a wide range and he has personally represented a number of large interests in important litigation in the Oklahoma courts—cases necessitating the possession of an intuitive spirit of comprehension, innate sagacity and great powers of persuasion. Aside from his profession, Mr. Mars has numerous interests. In California, he is connected with a number of corporations, including the Co-operative Loan Association, the Miti-Liquid Company and the Pacific Specialty Company, while in Creek County he has extensive farm holdings, on which are to be found large oil producing properties. Ho is a republican, but has not sought preferment in public life.
In 1907 Mr. Mars was married to Miss Grace Inez Bolinger, of Brush, Colorado, and they have had two children: Marguerite Geraldine, who is seven years old and attending school; and Gertrude Franklin, who died in infancy. Mrs. Mars is a lady of many accomplishments, a talented pianist and vocalist and a leader in church and social circles. She has been particularly active in the work of the Methodist Episcopal Church. [Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
For the past twelve years Judge McDougal has been not only one of the leading lawyers of the City of Sapulpa, but has been one of the live and pushing citizens who have brought that town into prominence as an important commercial center in Eastern Oklahoma. He is now senior member of the firm of McDougal, Lytle & Allen, lawyers in Sapulpa, but has many interests by which he is identified with this great new state.
Of a Tennessee family, he was born at Wayland Springs in that state, January 14, 1865, a son of Dr. J. F. and Mary Davis (Carmack) McDougal. His father was born in Alabama and his mother in Mississippi. Doctor McDougal was reared in Tennessee, and spent most of his active career there, where he practiced medicine for a great many years. The mother died in that state in September, 1880. She was born in 1822. Doctor McDougal was born July 16, 1820, and died in 190"), being buried on his eighty-fifth birthday.
The youngest in a large family of thirteen children, Judge McDougal grew up in the Town of Savannah, Tennessee, to which place the family removed in 1871. With the exception of one year spent in the Vanderbilt University at Nashville, he acquired his education at Savannah, first in the public schools and later became a student of law. He was admitted to the bar in 1886, and for eleven years practiced at Selmer, Tennessee. Returning to Savannah in 1896 he remained there in the enjoyment of a large and profitable clientage until 1903, in which year he became a permanent resident of Sapulpa. At that time Sapulpa had a population of only 2,o00, and was a town of possibilities rather than actualities. While building up a practice as a lawyer, Judge McDougal has kept himself constantly alert in behalf of the general advantages and advancement of his home city. His administration as mayor of Sapulpa from May, 1909, to October, 1910, is well remembered and stands to his credit. While mayor he took an active part in the campaign to secure a commission form of government and thus served as the last mayor under the old regime. He is well known in the democratic party in Eastern Oklahoma and served as a presidential elector in 1908. For several years he was president of the Sapulpa Commercial Club, and while in that office, and always as a member, has done much to secure new factories for the town. Judge McDougal has some interest in Oklahoma oil fields, and .derives some revenues from royalties.
He is a trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, is a member of the Masonic Order and the Knights of Pythias, and belongs to the County, State and American Bar associations. He is one of the three Oklahoma members on the commission on Uniform State Laws.
On February 12, 1888, Judge McDougal married Miss Myrtle Archer, of Baldwin, Mississippi. Judge McDougal is properly proud of his three daughters. Myrtle A., the oldest, is now the wife of Hugh J. MacKay,"and both are graduates of the School of Journalism at Columbia, Missouri, and still live there, where Mr. MacKay is manager for the University of Missouri Publications. Mary Carmack, the second daughter, is now at home, having graduated from the North Texas Female College at Sherman, while she and her younger sister were also students in the Oklahoma University at Norman. Violet A., the youngest, is now a student in the University of Missouri.
Mrs. McDougal has been one of the active leaders in women's movements in Oklahoma, and was formerly president of the Indian Territory Federation of Women 's Clubs, and also served as president of the Oklahoma State Federation of Clubs from November, 1911, to November, 1913. Though Judge McDougal did not become a resident of Oklahoma until 1903, he was a participant in some of the earlier land openings here. In 1893 he was at the opening of the Cherokee Strip, and slept on the bare ground at Perry on the night after the opening. In 1901 he was also at the Kiowa and Comanche opening. [Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
JOHN F. MURPHY
JOHN F. MURPHY
Among the sterling citizens who have become prominently concerned with the great oilproducing industry of Oklahoma after broad and varied experience in the older oil fields of the Union, a place of special prominence must be accorded to Mr. Murphy, who is one of the well known and honored citizens of Sapulpa, Creek County, where he stands forth as one of the leading representatives of the oil producing industry in this section of the state and as one of the prominent and successful contractors in connection with this important line of enterprise, which has contributed much to the material wealth and progress of Oklahoma. He became identified with oil producing activities in Pennsylvania when a mere youth and his experience has covered a period of many years, within which he has been active in the fields of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and West Virginia, prior to establishing his residence in Oklahoma. It must thus be readily understood that he is a man of authoritative judgment in the various details of the oil business, and it may further be said that he represents the best ideals of loyal and public-spirited citizenship.
Mr. Murphy reverts with a due mead of satisfaction to the fact that he can claim the old Empire State as the place of his nativity. He was born at Ellicottville, Cattaraugus County, New York, on the 28th of September, 1865, and is a son of John and Margaret (Cassidy) Murphy, both natives of the fair old Emerald Isle, the father having been born in County Kilkenny and the mother in County Westmeath, Ireland, where the former was reared to adult age, the latter having been a girl of eight years when she accompanied her parents on their immigration to America and the family home having been established in the State of New York.
John Murphy was reared and educated in his native land and at the age of twenty-one years he severed the home ties and set forth to seek his fortunes in the United States. He found employment in the State of New York, and at Ellicottville, Cattaraugus County, he met and married his young countrywoman, Margaret Cassidy, who proved to him a devoted companion and helpmeet during the long years of their gracious association on the pathway of life. After his marriage Mr. Murphy continued his residence at Ellicottville until 1876, when he removed with his family to Bradford, Pennsylvania, a city then a center of oil operations in that section of the Keystone State. Of that city he and his wife continued as honored residents during the remainder of their long and useful lives, and, after the lapse of nearly forty years their loving companionship was broken by the death of the devoted husband and father, who died in 1913, at the age of eighty-two years. In death they were not long divided, however, for in August of the following year Mrs. Murphy passed to the life eternal, at the venerable age of eighty-seven years. During the last twenty years of his life Mr. Murphy was associated with a leading plumbing firm in Bradford, and he was known and honored as an upright, sincere and worthy citizen who was well entitled to the unqualified confidence and esteem in which he was held in the community that had so long represented his home. Of the six children the last two were twins, and of the number all are living except one of the twins.
John F. Murphy, the immediate subject of this review, gained his early education in the parochial and public schools of his native place and of Bradford, Pennsylvania, to which latter city the family removed when he was about eleven years of age. At the age of eighteen years he initiated his association with the oil industry, and his first service was as a dresser of tools used in drilling wells and in connection with other oil operations. He continued his connection with oil activities in Pennsylvania until 1886, when he became one of the pioneers in the oil field about Findlay, Hancock County, Ohio. Thereafter he was at intervals associated with the oil-development industry in Indiana, and in that state, in 189o, was solemnized his marriage to Miss Harriet I'nis Martin, who was born and reared in Indiana and who is a daughter of Albert and Mary E. Martin, both of whom continued their residence in that state until their death. It may consistently be stated at this juncture that Mr. and Mrs. Murphy have four children, —Helen, Mary, Julia, and Katherine.
After his marriage Mr. Murphy returned to New York, where for two years he and his wife maintained their residence in Seneca County, in the beautiful lake district of that state. They then returned to Indiana and established their home at Montpelier, Blackford County, where Mr. Murphy developed a successful business as a contractor in the oil field of that locality. In 1904 he transferred his residence to the City of Cleveland, Ohio, in which state he acquired control of a large acreage of oil land and initiated development work, besides still doing a substantial contracting business. His leases proved to be just outside the oil pools, but later the land became a successful producing tract, the judgment of Mr. Murphy having been thus proved good in one sense, and his only trouble having been that he did not drive his wells sufficiently deep, though but by a narrow margin.
In 1906 Mr. Murphy came to Oklahoma and established his residence at Sapulpa, the now thriving metropolis and judicial center of Creek County, where he has since maintained his home and where he has become a prominent and successful representative of the oil industry in this section of the state. He is a stockholder in the corporation known as the Limestone Oil & Gas Company, and is interested with the Shelby Oil & Gas Company, at Tulsa. He has minor interests in other companies and holds development leases on hundreds of acres in Creek and adjoining counties. He has found also a profitable field of operation as a contractor in the oil fields, and as an authority in the business his counsel and expert advice are frequently sought.
Mr. Murphy has been specially progressive and public spirited and has shown himself fully in line with the vital energy of the state of his adoption. He takes a lively interest in all that touches the civic and material welfare of his home city and was elected the first commissioner of public safety in Sapulpa after the city adopted the commission system of municipal government. This office, however, he resigned after serving one year, owing to the demands placed upon his time and attention by his important business interests. In national politics he is aligned with the democratic party, but in local affairs he maintains an independent attitude and gives his support to tho men and measures meeting the approval of his judgment, without regard to strict partisan lines. In the time-honored Masonic fraternity he has received the thirty-second degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite and is affiliated also with the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. [Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails