Garvin County, Oklahoma Genealogy


All the usual elements of public library history were present in 1925 when Pauls Valley first gave its official attention to library matters. A small club library, already established in the city hall, a city federation of women’s clubs eager to give the children of the town a free library, and a thriving little city. But they were all fused by the energetic personality of Mrs. Henry M. Carr, a real library enthusiast, who, with Mrs. Monroe Osborn and Mrs. W. M. Freeman, carried on the campaign to get tax support for the library and afterwards worked just as hard to make it a success.
Their efforts were seconded by the Oklahoma Library Commission which gave the new library assistance in its organization and donated 200 volumes from its war libraries. The opening was an event of the meeting of the Fifth District of the State Federation of Women’s Clubs, May 1925.
Although the city undertook the support of the library, it has seldom appropriated a sum efficient to relieve the clubs of entire responsibility, despite which fact the book collection has gradually increased, while the circulation tripled itself within four years from 1930 to 1934. In 1936, it was near 8,500.
Succeeding Mrs. Osborn, who donated her time to the library during its organization, librarians have been Mrs. Sue Stephens, Mrs. Frank Robinson, Miss Mary Oehler, Mrs. W. R. Robbins, Miss Meta Mae Ward, Miss Anabel Miler, and Miss Aline Cook, who began her work the past year.
For 1936-37 Pauls Valley has manifested an aroused interest in its library, and the city has doubled the appropriation. The old quarters in the city hall have been redecorated, new shelves and reading tables added, and several hundred new volumes placed on the shelves. (Oklahoma Libraries, 1900-1937, a history and handbook, 1937, pages 76 & 77)