Grady County, Oklahoma
TOWNS & TOWNSHIPS
Acme is a community or populated place located in Grady County at latitude 34.799 and longitude -98.019.
In southwester Grady County, 3 miles west of Rush Springs. A post office from April 8, 1913 to May 29, 1931. It took its name from Acme Cement Plaster Company.
Acme, Oklahoma is now a Ghost Town. It was founded when the Acme Cement and Plaster Company built a large mill and power plant on the sight in 1911. The Rock Island extended a spur into the area to haul out the manufactured product. The machines used in the mill were so large, that the buildings were built around them. Plaster was a big thing, and there were about 100 to 125 men employed to manufacture six to eight freight carloads every 24 hours. Near where the gypsum was being mined, large stables were built to house the thirty teams of horses and mules that pulled the slip scrapers moving gypsum to the loading chutes.
The roads were very bad at that time, so may workers leased land and built their homes near the factory. There were also two boarding houses across the street from the mill, and many single men, or those who didn't bring their families, lived there. The company built a home across the street from the mill for the plant superintendent and for the team boss. There was also a privately owned General Store across from the mill, and it supplied groceries and other things that were needed. The Acme post office was located in one corner of the General Store. The farm community was served by two cotton gins and a blacksmith shop. Eventually, a large brick schoolhouse and gymnasium were built.
During the early 1920's the gypsum beds in the area ran out. There were other beds near the Little Washita River, so the company built a narrow-gauge railroad to them. In 1927, a flood in the area covered the additional beds with several feet of sand. The beds were worked till 1930, but it was very hard to do. This finally became unprofitable. At that time, the mill in Acme was closed. As the buildings were built around the machinery, to get it out, the buildings had to be torn down. After the mill closed, people moved from the area to go where there were jobs available.
There is very little left of Acme. The school was bought and tore down, and the boarding houses and the general store is gone also. There are some houses left, and some of the concrete ruins of the mill and power plant are left, but in all reasoning, the town is now a Ghost Town.
Agawam is a community or populated place located in Grady County at latitude 34.873 and longitude -97.946.
In Grady County, 12 miles south of Chickasha. A post office from June 18, 1909 to February 28, 1918. Its name, taken from an Indian village in New England, means "fish-curing place."
Alex Schoolhouse - 1910 (Submitted by Erny Long)
Alex is a populated place located in Grady County at latitude 34.915 and longitude -97.779.
In eastern Grady County, 13 miles southeast of Chickasha. Post office established December 2, 1885. Named for William V. Alexander, first postmaster.
Amber is a populated place located in Grady County at latitude 35.16 and longitude -97.879.
In Grady County, 8 miles northeast of Chickasha. Post office established November 5, 1903. Took its name from the amber color of the surrounding countryside.
Bailey is a community or populated place located in Grady County at latitude 34.716 and longitude -97.798.
In southeastern Grady County, 12 miles northeast of Marlow. A post office from June 25, 1892 to September 30, 1932. Named for J. J. Bailey, wagon master on stage line to Fort Sill.
Bradley is a populated place located in Grady County at latitude 34.878 and longitude -97.708
In eastern Grady County, 6 miles northwest of Lindsay. Post office established July 10, 1891. Named for Winters P. Bradley, local stockman and landowner.
Bridge Creek is a populated place located in Grady County at latitude 35.235 and longitude -97.737. Bridge Creek appears on the Blanchard U.S. Geological Survey Map
Rock Island Station Post Card - (Submitted by Erny Long)
Chickasha is a populated place located in Grady County at latitude 35.053 and longitude -97.936.
Formerly Pensee. County seat of Grady County. Post office name was changed to Chickasha on June 20, 1892. Record Town for Recording District No. 19, Indian Territory. Chickasha is the correct spelling of Chickasaw, but the popular pronunciation of the word is incorrect.
Chickasha had a Post Office called Waco, and then Pensee, that was established in 1890.
The Oklahoma College for Women was founded in Chickasha by an act of state legislature, one of the few state-supported women's colleges in the United States. Today it is coeducational and called the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.
The Courthouse, in the center of town, is a highly decorated art deco building. It is decorated with floral and geometric patterns and cast aluminum lamp posts at the main entrance.
The first courthouse, also in Chickasha, served as the federal court building of Recording District 19 of the Chickasaw Nation.
Cox City is a community or populated place located in Grady County at latitude 34.725 and longitude -97.732.
In southeastern Grady County, 16 miles southeast of Rush Springs. A post office from March 23, 1927, to April 10, 1964. Named for Edwin B. Cox of Ardmore, oil producer.
Farwell is a community or populated place located in Grady County at latitude 34.886 and longitude -98.006.
In Grady County, 4 miles south of Chickasha. A post office from January 2, 1884 to August 7, 1894, it was named for Franklin L. Fred, prominent early-day Indian trader.
Off of SH 19 east of Chickasha, there is a site, long unmarked, of a stage station where the Boggy Depot-Fort Sill road crossed the Chishlom Trail. This trading point, established in the 1870's, was named Fred for Col. Franklin L. Fred, early day Indian trader. A marker was recently dedicated to commemorate the historic post. The cemetery that was used for Fred, is the Muncrief Cemetery.
Laverty is a community or populated place located in Grady County at latitude 34.991 and longitude -98.075.
In western Grady County, 5 miles northeast of Cement. A post office from November 19, 1901 to November 30, 1933. From January 4, 1904 to December 15, 1908, the name of this post office was Hillsboro. Named for Lealis F. Laverty, townsite developer.
Middleberg is a community or populated place located in Grady County at latitude 35.106 and longitude -97.735.
In Grady County, 10 miles northeast of Chickasha. A post office from November 2, 1908 to March 31, 1932. The name comes from its location, halfway between Chickasha and Blanchard.
Settlers began moving into Minco in 1889, shortly before the railroad arrived in 1890. The name is an Indian word meaning "chief". That same year, the area's first school, started at Silver City by Mrs. Meta Chesnut Sager, was moved to Minco. It was called first Minco Academy, and the name later became El Meta Bond College.
[NOTE per Elvin Ferrell - The name is not derived from it's location ½ way between
Blanchard and Chickasha. The townsite was built at a railroad camp 5 miles from Blanchard. From there to Chickasha
is 13 miles.It is derived from a gentleman named Gerrit Middelberg a representative a Dutch finance company who
loaned money to build the Oklahoma Central Railroad. It was here at the railroad camp that Mr. Middelberg took
over the construction from the corrupt Purcell banker who had the idea for the railroad.]
Minco is a populated place located in Grady County at latitude 35.313 and longitude -97.944.
In western Grady County. Post office established June 20, 1890. The name is an Indian word meaning "chief". Also in 1890, the area's first school, which had been started in Silver City, was moved to Minco. It was called the Minco Academy, and the name later became El Meta Bond College.
Ninnekah is a populated place located in Grady County at latitude 34.948 and longitude -97.924.
In central Grady County. Post office established July 28, 1892. The name is from the Choctaw root word ninek, referring to night or darkness. Other unofficial names are East Ninnekah and Minnekah.
Norge is a populated place located in Grady County at latitude 34.988 and longitude -97.997.
Formerly Norden. In Grady County, 4 miles southwest of Chickasha. Post office name changed to Norge, March 21, 1908, and discontinued September 30, 1954. Named in honor of the homeland of a local group of Norwegian settlers.
Pocasset is a populated place located in Grady County at latitude 35.194 and longitude -97.953.
In Grady County, 10 miles north of Chickasha. Post office established December 13, 1902. Took its name from and Indian village of the same name in Massachusetts. The word means "where the strait widens out".
Pocasset is the site of a bungled train robbery attempted by Al Jennings who was, in his lifetime, a lawyer, train robber, convict, evangelist, author, and candidate for governor of Oklahoma. On this particular job, pulled in broad daylight while attempting to blow up a safe in the baggage/express car, Jennings and his gang managed to blow up the entire car. All they got away with was some jewelry and a little money taken from the passengers.
Rocky Ford is a community or populated place located in Grady County at latitude 34.845 and longitude -98.072.
Rush Springs is a populated place located in Grady County at latitude 34.783 and longitude -97.957.
Formerly Parr. In southern Grady County. Post office name changed to Rush Springs, May 13, 1892. It took its name from well-known springs on the Chisholm Trail, which were the headwaters of Rush Creek. One of the springs is now located in the municipal park. One of the first Civilian Conservation Corps camps was located here in the 1930s.
On the north edge of town, on US 81 Business, a historical marker details the tragic 1858 attack by federal troops on a Comanche band visiting the Wichita village here on Rush Creek. The Fort Belknap (Texas) troops were under the command of Capt. Earl Van Dorn. Seventy (one estimate says 90) Comanche warriors were killed in the attack which happened by mistake. The Comanches were on their way to Fort Arbuckle to discuss peace terms with the whites at the urging of the Wichitas. The remaining Comanches wrongly assumed they had been betrayed by the Wichitas and sought retribution and the frightened and innocent Wichitas sought refuge at Fort Arbuckle. In the captain's defense, it should be said he had known nothing of the peace mission.
Although now a ghost town, this was once a very important resting and trading stop on the Chisholm Trail. Just north was the always dangerous South Canadian River to be crossed and trail drivers like to rest themselves and graze their herds, stock up on supplies, and make repairs before attempting the mile-wide river crossing with its patches of quicksand. All that remains today of this once busy spot is the well-kept cemetery.
Silver City, located just south of the Canadian River where it was crossed by the Chisholm Trail, was an important stopping point for cattlemen on their way to northern markets. Just when the village had its beginning is obscure. It is known, however, that a Mexican family living nearby sold quirts to cowboys before 1880.
The Canadian may have caused the village to be located at its particular site. In the vicinity were 3 small creeks with good water, and the land between the creeks furnished a grazing area when the river was in flood stages. Even when the water in the Canadian was low, quicksand could present a problem. Cattle, one they had started across, had to be kept moving. Most trail bosses preferred to hold the cattle on the south bank if the crossing could not be completed in daylight. With the opening of the Unassigned Lands, the Cheyenne and Arapaho Reservation, and the Cherokee Outlet for settlement, the Chisholm Trail ceased to exist.
In 1890, when the Rock Island extended its tracks south of the river, there was a general movement from Silver City to the new town of Minco. One of the noted pioneers of Silver City was Meta Chestnut, who had organized a subscription school. She also moved to Minco, where she started Minco Academy, which later became El Meta Bond College.
The only existing reminder of Silver City is the cemetery. All land formerly occupied by the village and trail is now farmed.
Sooner is a community or populated place located in Grady County at latitude 35.233 and longitude -97.854.
Formerly Haley. In northeastern Grady County, 5 miles south of Tuttle. Post office name changed to Sooner, April 9, 1913, and discontinued July 15, 1914.
Tabler is a community or populated place located in Grady County at latitude 35.044 and longitude -97.82.
In Grady County, 5 miles east of Chickasha. A post office from February 2, 1909, to October 31, 1954. Named for Ike Tabler, foreman of a crew laying railroad track.
Tuttle is a populated place located in Grady County at latitude 35.291 and longitude -97.812.
In northern Grady County, 9 miles east of Minco. Post office established August 14, 1902. Named for James H. Tuttle, local rancher.
There is a legend about Tuttle... it is told that Jesse James and his gang buried a cache of loot, which has never been found, east of there. At the east edge of Tuttle is a 12 ton boulder, marking the Chisholm Trail. Bronze tablets on the rock list the names of pioneer residents and tell of Silver City, two miles north.
Verden is a populated place located in Grady County at latitude 35.083 and longitude -98.088.
On the county line, 10 miles west of Chickasha. Post office established May 5, 1899. Site of Camp Napoleon. Named for A. N. Verden, townsite developer in 1899. Verden is best known as the site of the massive convocation in May, 1865, of Indians determined to present a united front to the white man. The site of Camp Napoleon, as the gathering was called, covered almost the entire area of the present town. It was finally agreed among the tribes represented that if they were to survive "an Indian shall not spill and Indian's blood." A giant boulder on the school grounds along the highway commemorates the meeting.
Note: Some of the above information came from the book - Oklahoma Place
Names - by George H. Shirk
Copyright © Genealogy Trails
All data on this website is Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.