The History of Oklahoma Biographies Vol. II
by Luther B. Hill
DELMONT HUMPHREY, M. D.
He is a well known and highly esteemed physician and surgeon of Oklahoma, one who has attained distinction and wide-spread celebrity for his skill and research. He was born in Minnesota, but was reared in Illinois, for his father was a Baptist minister and filled pulpits in various states of the northwest. The son received an excellent literary education, and his professional studies were first pursued in the medical department of the Iowa University at Iowa City, from which he graduated in 1891 as a homeopath. During several years thereafter he was engaged in practice at Grand Rapids, Wisconsin, where he served as chief surgeon for the Riverview Hospital, and he also spent several years in post-graduate work, particularly in surgery, in various hospitals and polyclinics in Chicago, New York and Glasgow and Edinburgh, Scotland. While in Glasglow he received his most valuable experience in surgery from the greatest specialists connected with the Western Infirmary of that city.
Returning to the United States Dr. Humphrey was for some time attached to the Cook County Hospital in surgical work. In 1905 he came from Grand Rapids to the city of Oklahoma, locating permanently in this city as a specialist in surgery, particularly in female surgery, in which he has achieved distinguished success and a high place in the profession. Much of his work is done in connection with the various hospitals. Although a member of the American Institute of Homeopathy, his education, experience and practice embrace both schools.
WILLIAM EDWARD DICKEN
That the members of the profession of medicine and surgery are as thoroughly equipped for practice in the new state of Oklahoma as in the oldest states of the east finds an excellent illustration in the case of William Edward Dicken, a well known surgeon of Oklahoma City. He has been located at Oklahoma City since 1901, in which year he took his degree of M. D. from the St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons. He quickly gained success in practice, and became especially skilled as a surgeon. His ambition to attain eminence in his work caused him to give up practice for a time in 1905, while he took post-graduate work in New York City, and in 1907 he pursued his studies abroad, especially in the clinical work in gynecological surgery in the K. K. Allgemeines Krankenhaus at Vienna. Energetic prosecution of his studies and practice has brought him an enviable success at Oklahoma City, and both by training and natural fitness he ranks among the leaders in his own and other states. He is local surgeon in Oklahoma City for the M. K. & T. Railroad, and occupies the chair of general surgery at the Epworth University Medical College. He is a member of the county, state, the Southwestern, and of the American Medical Associations.
Dr. Dicken was born in Woodford County, Kentucky. His father, Rev. C. W. Dicken, a Baptist minister, was born and reared in Campbell County, Kentucky, and for many years was prominent in the ministry in Kentucky, Missouri and other states, and is now a resident of Roswell, New Mexico. Dr. Dicken was reared in Kentucky and began his college work at Ogden College in Bowling Green. His literary education is on a plane with his professional, and after the school just mentioned he was a student in Westminster College at Fulton, Missouri, and finished his classical education at William Jewell College at Liberty, Missouri. He had begun the study of medicine when quite young, and having passed the necessary examinations in Missouri, he began practicing in 1896, at Kahoka, in Clark County. He later completed his college work needed for a degree at St. Louis, and since then has been identified with the profession at Oklahoma City. In Masonry Dr. Dicken is a member of several of the higher degrees. He was married in 1899 at Kahoka to Miss Bertha M. Smith, of Lewis County, Missouri.
DR. WILLIAM H. CLUTTER
In the history of medicine in Oklahoma, Dr. Clutter, of Oklahoma City, has a double distinction - he is one of the first doctors who ever attended a case in that city, and is also the oldest practicing physician in length of professional activity, having been so distinguished by the vote of the Oklahoma Territory Medical Association at a recent meeting in Shawnee. Dr. Clutter was on the first train that ran into Oklahoma City over the Santa Fe on April 22, 1889, so that while he may not have been on the site so early as one or two other doctors of medicine, it is a matter of only an hour or so that prevents him from claiming premier place among the pioneer doctors.
Fifty years of almost continuous practice is the record that makes Dr. Clutter the oldest physician in Oklahoma. He was born April 25, 1832, in Bourbon County, Kentucky, three miles east of Paris, was reared there to the age of eighteen, when he went to Greencastle, Indiana, and entered the old Asbury (now DePauw) University to complete his education. Besides being well grounded in the classic knowledge supplied by the schools of that period, he had unusually good professional preparation, having begun the study of medicine at Greencastle in the office of Drs. Cowgill and Talbot, and under them as preceptors commenced his practice in that town, in 1857, a half century ago. After about six months of practice at Greencastle, he moved to Noble, Richland County, Illinois, where he practiced twelve years excepting the time he served as field surgeon in the Union Army during the Civil war. He had enlisted at the beginning of the war, was sent to Quincy in the hospital service, from there was assigned to duty in the field as surgeon to the Sixty-fifth Illinois Infantry, but for most of the time was in detached service, giving his professional skill not only to the Sixty-fifth Regiment but also to the Eighty-first Illinois, the Thirty-third Wisconsin, and the regular cavalry in Alabama. His office as surgeon took him into many severe and dangerous situations, and the period spent in the service of the country must be regarded as one of the most praiseworthy and honorable of his entire career. After the war he continued in practice in Illinois until 1869, when he moved west and took part as a pioneer in the founding of the town of Frankfort, Marshall county, Kansas, where he built the third house on the town site. He lived there until 1889, seeing a prosperous and flourishing community grow up about him, and then participated in the most celebrated land opening and settlement in the history of America. For nearly twenty years he has remained closely identified with his profession and with the civic affairs of Oklahoma City, and is one of the best known and most popular men in the medical fraternity of Oklahoma. Notwithstanding his years, he is prosecuting his practice with all the health and vigor of former years, and is a fine type of the physician of the old school who has constantly kept abreast of the remarkable progress in medical science since he began practicing half a century ago. He enlarged and finished his medical education by study in the Cincinnati College of Medicine, where he graduated in 1868, and he also took postgraduate work in the College of Physicians and Surgeons at St. Louis in 1872. For six years he was county superintendent of health and for twelve years county physician of Oklahoma County. Dr. Clutter is greatly revered by the profession in Oklahoma City, especially by the younger men, who find a source of great interest and entertainment in his stories of early day practice. He is a member of the county and state societies and the American Medical Association, and is a Master Mason. Dr. Clutter's wife is Mary (Strong) Clutter to whom he was married in Marshall County, Kansas, she being a native of Bellaire, Ohio. They have one child, Lark N. Clutter. Mrs. Clutter is an active worker in the order of the Eastern Star.
DR. H. COULTER TODD
It is a proof of the rapid growth of Oklahoma City and its assumption of metropolitan proportions, that professions and industries have spread out into specialized forms here to as great extent as in cities with a century of history behind them. A few years ago one would not have looked for specialists in medicine outside of the few largest cities of the country, and yet at the present time the larger cities of the southwest have representatives of the different branches of the profession with all the advantages of training and study that the best schools of the world offer, and with talent and skill that need not yield precedence to the best in America. Oklahoma deserves and demands the highest talents and the greatest industry that men possess, and in the sphere of medicine as in other professions and industries there can be no question that the demand has been answered by men of the highest qualifications.
Dr. H. Coulter Todd, of Oklahoma City, is a specialist in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat, who has availed himself of the highest facilities in post-graduate work to fit himself for this department of special practice. During the winter of 1900 he studied in London and other European centers, principally in the Royal London Ophthalmologic College and the Central London Throat and Ear Hospital. Since then he has been practicing his specialty in partnership with Dr. Buxton, another distinguished member of the medical profession in Oklahoma City.
Dr. Todd has been identified with the practice of medicine and surgery in Oklahoma City since the fall of 1902, when he came from the east with the intention of building a name and place for himself on his own merits, an end that he has succeeded in attaining during the past five years. He is president of the Central Oklahoma Medical Association, having been elected in January, 1907, at the annual meeting held in Enid; is also a member of the Oklahoma County and the American Medical associations. In addition to his private practice, Dr. Todd is secretary of the medical department of the Epworth University, an institution which, although of recent establishment, is in a flourishing condition, and its faculty contains some of the most brilliant men in the medical profession in the southwest. Dr. Todd is professor of anatomy, of clinical otology, rhinology and laryngology.
Dr. Todd inherits his faculty of research and scholarly skill from a line of ancestors who have been prominently represented in the professions and in public and private life in America since the colonial period. His parents were Rev. F. S. and Sarah Elizabeth (Black) Todd. On the paternal side, the Todds were a prominent Scotch family distinguished in scholarship and professional ability, especially in theology. Rev. F. S. Todd, who is still living, is and has been for a long number of years a minister of the Baptist church in New Brunswick and the state of Maine. His father, Rev. Dr. Thomas Todd (grandfather of Dr. Todd) was probably the most distinguished of the family in the ministry, having been widely known all over the Canadian provinces, not only as a theologian and church dignitary, but as a profound scholar whose learning comprehended many branches of knowledge aside from his regular profession. He was one of the board of regents of Acadia College in Nova Scotia, and in numerous ways was distinguished in the field of letters and scholarship. Sarah Elizabeth (Black) Todd, Dr. Todd's mother, who is now debased, belongs to an American family of English origin, whose home was in the colonies before the Revolution, but their allegiance to the cause of the United Empire Loyalists estranged them from their neighbors during the struggle for independence and in consequence they moved to the Canadian provinces.
Dr. Todd was born in the province of New Brunswick, at the town of Woodstock, in 1874. Receiving the best of educational advantages, he graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts from Acadia College, Nova Scotia, in 1897, and has since received the degree of Master of Arts from the same institution (Acadia College is affiliated with Oxford University of England). His medical education was acquired in the medical department of Bowdoin College, at Brunswick, Maine, where he was graduated as M. D. in the class of 1900. Until coming to Oklahoma he practiced in the town of Brunswick. Dr. Todd was married at the town of Calais, Maine, to Miss Carrie Eulilla Lenehan. They have one child, Dane Lee Todd.
DR. ARCHA K. WEST
The present dean of the faculty of the medical department of Epworth University, and likewise one of the founders of this school, is Dr. Archa K. West, one of the ablest physicians and surgeons of Oklahoma. Since locating in Oklahoma City in 1899 he has achieved high success and distinction in his profession, and besides having been so active in making Epworth University medical department a strong factor in medical education, has .been honored in other ways to indicate his high rank. He is ex-president of the Oklahoma Medical Association, is a member of the various medical societies, including the American Medical Association and in 1907 was selected as delegate from the new state of Oklahoma to the annual convention of the American Medical Association.
Besides a thorough equipment for practice obtained in the regular courses of medical preparation, Dr. West during his early life had a training that only a few physicians have, even those living in the southwest. He was born at Waynesboro, Mississippi, July 9, 1865, but lived there only thirteen years, and at that age accompanied the family to Uvalde County, Texas. For the following dozen years his chief activities and experience were connected with the great Texas cattle range. He was a real "cow puncher," and in that vocation rode his cayuse all over western Texas from San Antonio to El Paso. This sort of life gave him a training that he has found of great practical value in his subsequent career. When he began his professional preparation, he pursued most of his studies at Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, but finished his medical education at the Memphis Hospital Medical College, where he was graduated in the class of 1894. He first practiced at Smithville, Bastrop County, Texas, until moving to Oklahoma City in 1899. Here Dr. West is chief surgeon of the Oklahoma Street Railway Co. Dr. West was married in Uvalde county, Texas, to Miss Mary Hancock, and they have six children- Leonard H., Willis K., Leah P., Maury A., Gillean R. and Katharine May.
JOSEPH M. POSTELLE, M. D.
He fills the chairs of Materia Medica and Therapeutics and of Gastro-Intestinal Diseases at Epworth University medical school, is one of the prominent physicians of Oklahoma City, where he has been engaged in practice since 1900. With a large practice in general medicine he has also gained a distinctive reputation as a specialist on diseases of the stomach. In connection with his offices, it should be noted, he has a general laboratory that has the most extensive and modern equipment in the southwest, and is a much appreciated convenience to the medical profession of Oklahoma City, particularly for all kinds of chemical analyses, blood analyses, etc.
As a member of the faculty of Epworth University medical school Dr. Postelle has been a very useful and energetic worker, not only as an instructor in his special branches, but for the improvement and upbuilding of the school. Both as an educator and as a practitioner he has become a valuable factor in the active citizenship of Oklahoma City. Dr. Postelle was born in 1865, during a temporary residence of his parents at Lafayette, Indiana. On the paternal side his ancestry is French Hugenot, his great-grandfather coming from France to Virginia, and the family later becoming identified with North Carolina and east Tennessee. At the old family home at Ducktown in east Tennessee, near the Carolina line, Dr. Postelle spent his youthful years, attending the public schools and the Ducktown Academy. His first study of medicine was under a private tutor, Dr. L. Lankford, of Norfolk, Virginia, and he completed his medical education by graduation from the Baltimore Medical College in 1894. Before coming to Oklahoma City he was engaged in practice at Ducktown. Dr. Postelle has advanced in proficiency by constant study of the sciences connected with his profession. At the Turck laboratories and Post-Graduate Medical School of Chicago he took courses in diseases of the stomach, and his private investigations consume a considerable share of his time. He is a member of the staff of St. Anthony's Hospital, and also a member of the county and state and the American Medical Association. Dr. Postelle was married at Ducktown to Miss Emma Bray of that town. She is a descendant of a well known English family of that name. Their four children are Joseph Fred, Guy, Ruth and Kathryn.
DR. GEORGE DAVIDSON MCLEAN
HE has practiced in Oklahoma City since September, 1902. He has a large general practice in the city, and is one of the most successful of the younger physicians. Professionally, he is connected with the county, state and the Southwestern Medical societies, and also the American Medical Association. Dr. McLean is a graduate of the medical department of the Vanderbilt University at Nashville, having been a member of the class of 1902. Besides an extensive preparation for his profession, he received an excellent literary education preliminary thereto, being a graduate with the class of 1897 from the University of Mississippi at Oxford.
Dr. McLean inherits the profession of medicine from his father and grandfather, and other members of the family in the different generations have also been physicians. Dr. McLean was born at Winona, Mississippi, in 1877, a son of Dr. J. L. and Margaret (Rainey) McLean. His father, who lived for a long number of years at Winona, where he was born, moved to Memphis, in 1902, and is one of the prominent practitioners of that city, also holding the chair of gynecology in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of that place. Ancestrally, the family is Scotch and of long and distinguished residence in America. Several members of the McLean clan came from the north of Scotland to America in 1720. The military record of the family in America begins with conflicts against the Seminole Indians in Florida, and later, at King's Mountain and other battles of the Revolution, the McLeans fought against their traditional enemy, the British. After the achievement of American independence, some of the Doctor's immediate ancestors settled in east central Tennessee and were among the founders of the city of Nashville. His grandfather was a pioneer of Mississippi, moving to that state when it was occupied principally by the Choctaw Indians. Dr. McLean's mother, now deceased, was also of direct Scotch ancestry, the Raineys having come from Scotland about the same time as the McLeans.
GREGORY A. WALL, M. D.
The president of the board of directors of the Oklahoma Medical College, and also one of the incorporators of the institution in the fall of 1907, is Dr. Gregory A. Wall, who has been successfully engaged in practice in Oklahoma City since 1900. In the college he occupies the chair of diseases of women. He is a physician of long experience, and this with his professional ability makes him a valuable head for the new school.
Dr. Wall was born at Waterloo, Monroe County, Illinois, January 1, 1866. Both parents were natives of Ireland, whence they came to America and settled in Monroe County, Illinois, in the forties. The mother died during the infancy of her son Gregory, but the father, John Wall, is still living, at Springfield, Missouri, most of his life having been spent in agricultural occupations. The grade and high schools of Waterloo furnished Dr. Wall his preliminary education. He prepared for his profession in St. Louis Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1886, when twenty one years old. For the following ten years he was engaged in practice at Topeka, Kansas, where he had a large and profitable following until 1896, when he was compelled to relinquish practice on account of ill health, and did not actively resume it until he moved to Oklahoma City in 1900. Just before locating in Oklahoma he pursued general post graduate work in Chicago. Dr. Wall is a member of the Oklahoma County and Southside Medical societies and the Southwest, Medical Association. He was married in this city to Miss Sallie Stiff, who was born and reared in McKinney, Collin County, Texas.
DR. IRA I. RAMEY
HE located at Oklahoma City in 1903, has gained a profitable practice as physician and surgeon, and has been especially successful and has made a reputation as a specialist in surgery and diseases of women. He deserves his high rank among the medical fraternity by his close application and a prolonged period of study, which he has carried on almost without interruption since he received his degree from medical school twenty-five years ago.
Dr. Ramey was born in Medora, Jackson County, Indiana, in 1857. In 1869 his parents moved to Perry County, Arkansas, and there he finished his literary education. He studied for his profession in the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Chicago, graduating in 1882. His practice- was begun at Perryville, in his home county', but after a few years he moved to Mena, Arkansas, in the western part of the state, Mena being a division point on the Kansas City Southern Railway. Besides attending - to a large general practice, he was surgeon for the Kansas City Southern at that point. He lived at Mena until his removal to Oklahoma City about five years ago. Dr. Ramey's first wife was Mrs. Mollie (Stover) Ramey, a native of Tennessee, daughter of John Stover, a prominent man of that state. Mrs. Ramey died in Arkansas, leaving two children, Mrs. Ethel Meador and Eugene B. Dr. Ramey's present wife was before her marriage Miss Louise Owen, a native of Tennessee. They have two children: Mrs. Maud Barrow of Memphis, Tennessee, and Miss Hallie, now attending school at Birmingham, Alabama.
DR. FRANCIS M. JORDAN
One of the oldest of the pioneer physicians of Oklahoma is Dr. Francis M. Jordan, who retired from active practice about six years ago, but is still well known to the profession. Dr. Jordan has been in the southwest for nearly a quarter of a century. After spending the early part of his professional career in Illinois, he moved to Kingman in Kingman County, Kansas, about 1883, located at Fort Smith, Arkansas, in 1886, being physician for St. Luke's hospital a year, and in 1887 came to Purcell, Indian Territory. During the two years preceding the Oklahoma opening he was surgeon for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad and the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad at this point, and was also examiner for several life insurance companies.
This practice brought him an intimate knowledge of this region, and when Oklahoma was opened to settlement in 1889, he was close at hand and joined in the rush with thousands of others from the south line of the territory. Being attracted to the site now covered by Oklahoma City he chose to take up a quarter section lying about a mile east of the town (the northeast quarter of section 35, town 12, range 3 west). He had to dispute the occupation of this land with "sooners," and a seven years' contest in the courts was necessary before he could establish his claim and receive a patent from the government for his homestead. At this excellent situation, almost alongside a growing town with unlimited possibilities, he built a home and engaged in practice in addition to improving his homestead. Since retiring from practice he has been busied with the supervision of his property interests, due to the fact that the growth of Oklahoma City has overspread what was at the time of his settlement, farm land well apart from the townsite. Part of his estate has been sold for city subdivisions and other purposes, but he still keeps thirty-five acres for a homestead that is one of the most attractive and valuable places in the vicinity of the city. His residence, situated on an elevation that commands a view of city and country, is a landmark. Of late years Dr. Jordan has made a specialty of fruit-raising, but in earlier years when general farming was the principal occupation of Oklahoma; his place was a profitable wheat, cattle and dairy farm. The land adjoining this place was selected in 1907 as the permanent site for the Oklahoma State Fair.
Dr. Jordan has been a member of the medical profession, upwards of forty years. He was born in Menard County, near Springfield, Illinois, in 1836, a son of Henry and Keziah (Hall) Jordan. His home life and early surroundings were elevating and are of more than ordinary interest. His father, a native of Ohio, had located at Springfield, Illinois, before the capital of the state was located there. In Menard County, where most of his life was spent, he was one of the prominent early citizens. He was sheriff of the county at the time of the arrest and trial for murder of Duff Armstrong, a trial that has become a feature of national history because of the prominence of the attorney who defended Armstrong-Abraham Lincoln, then at the beginning of his career. Lincoln lived at old Salem, just six miles distant from the Jordan home, where he was an occasional visitor. Another celebrity who found hospitable entertainment in the Jordan household was Peter Cartwright, known through the Middle West for his energetic and successful work as an evangel of the Methodist church. The Jordan house served as this preacher's sanctuary several times, and later Mr. Jordan donated the ground for the Methodist church that was built near his home, and throughout his life was a prominent member of that denomination. Henry Jordan moved from Menard County in 1852 to Elkhart in Logan County, and thence to Macon County. On the maternal side Dr. Jordan has a grandfather who was a soldier in the Revolution.
Dr. Jordan received his early education in Menard County and in Springfield, graduated from the state normal at Bloomington in 1863, and for three years was principal of the graded school of Elkhart in Logan County. For some time he also engaged in farming and cattle raising. He began the study of medicine under private tutelage at Decatur, Illinois, and also began practice there, but soon after located in Chicago where he remained three years, having his office at the corner of Twelfth and Loomis streets. In 1870 he continued his professional studies in Rush Medical College, but did not take the final course and graduate from that well known medical school, until 1879. From Chicago he moved to Sangamon County, Illinois, practicing at Berlin and later at Pleasant Plains. Politically, Dr. Jordan has a distinction that certainly belongs to few citizens of Oklahoma, in that he is one of the original members of the Republican party, voting for John C. Fremont, in 1856, and has been a member of the party ever since. The doctor was married in Illinois to Miss Rachel M. Mitchner. They have two children, Aura and Frank T.
JOHN LOUIS MITCH
Oklahoma City was represented in the convention by two delegates, John Louis Mitch and W. C. Hughes. Mr. Mitch served as a member of the committee on revenue and taxation, the committee on education, and the committee on revision, compilation and style of the constitution. Representing the metropolis of the new state, both members were very watchful of the interests of Oklahoma City, scrutinizing with great care the provisions embodied in the fundamental law with reference to municipal corporations. Mr. Mitch was especially diligent and helpful in framing the school legislation, having been closely identified with education ever since coming to Oklahoma.
Mr. Mitch, who belongs among the pioneer citizens of Oklahoma, was born and reared in Fayette County, Kentucky, the year of his birth being 1850. His parents were of direct French ancestry. He completed an excellent education at the University of Kentucky at Lexington. Going west in 1878, and spending the greater part of the following fifteen years in Colorado, he was engaged at first in the sheep business on an extensive scale and later in the cattle business. Starting with a very limited number of sheep, in a few years he had become one of the largest and most prominent livestock men in Colorado, his sheep in very fact being scattered over a hundred hills. But during the latter eighties occurred the first hostile wool legislation, and as a consequence the price of wool fell so rapidly that few of the sheepmen of this western country escaped disaster and ruin. Mr. Mitch fed 5,000 head of sheep at Hutchinson, Kansas, when the break came, and he had to dispose of them at tremendous sacrifices, many of them going for thirty-five cents a head. During most of his residence in Colorado Mr. Mitch's headquarters were at Rocky Ford.
Shortly after the opening of Oklahoma in the summer of 1889 he came to the territory for the purpose of retrieving his broken fortunes and making his permanent residence in the new and promising country. Edmond, in Oklahoma county, was his first home, and while there he helped organize the Bank of Edmond (which later became the First National Bank) and was its cashier. The educational interests of the town also received much attention and personal effort from Mr. Mitch. He has always been particularly devoted to the welfare of the Territorial Normal School at that point. On account of his earnest and efficient efforts to keep the Normal in existence during the hard times and his continued interest in the institution and its teachers, he became known as the father of the Normal, of which he was elected one of the board of regents.
Since 1901 Mr. Mitch has lived in Oklahoma City. In 1902 he was elected register of deeds of Oklahoma County, was re-elected in 1904, and gave the highest satisfaction to the public in this important position. At the last general election, 1907, he was also chosen delegate to the constitutional convention, Mr. Mitch, though but fifty-eight years old, made a record in the Civil war that entitles him to a veteran's honor. As a mere boy he marched and fought in the Union ranks, and to prove that he deserved as much glory as the older soldiers, he several times suffered wounds in battle. Mr. Mitch married, at Edmond, Miss Lora D. Blizzard, a native of Indiana, and later a resident of Kansas. She was a student at Edmond and a teacher in the public school there. They have two children, John Louis, Jr. and Lora May.
ANDREW T. PAYNE
The business record of Andrew T. Payne has been a steady and continuous mounting of the ladder of his own building to success and prominence. And success is not measured by the height which one may chance to occupy but also by the distance between the starting point and the altitude one has reached. Andrew T. Payne began his career as a driver of an express wagon for the American Express Company, at Macon, Missouri, in 1881, and by a steady and persistent climbing, going from one position to another as opportunity offered and as his own worth and merit became known, he has now reached the position of division superintendent of the Wells Fargo Express Company, with jurisdiction over all the new states of the southwest.
Born in Zanesville, Ohio, in 1862, he was but a child when his parents moved to Iowa and located on a farm in Wapello County, and he was reared as a farmer boy there. From an express wagon driver in Macon, Missouri, he became express messenger, and about 1882 began running on the Santa Fe Railroad in the service of Wells, Fargo & Company on their lines west and southwest of Kansas City. By subsequent promotions from this company he came through Oklahoma in 1892 as a traveling auditor, and in this position he became familiar with many of the interesting and thrilling incidents of the early life in this state, particularly in the railroad express service. Some of the most notable express robberies and train hold-ups in the southwest took place in this country in the early nineties. Mr. Payne also served as agent for his company, for some time at Wichita, Kansas, and during about seven years previous to assuming the duties of his present position he was assistant superintendent for the company at Kansas City. Early in 1907, he was appointed division superintendent for the Wells, Fargo Company of the Oklahoma Division, which embraces all the new states, and in this position he travels over the Santa Fe, Frisco, the Choctaw Division of the Rock Island, the Midland Valley, and the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe lines. His headquarters and his home are in the city of Oklahoma.
Mr. Payne married Miss Anna Reynolds, of Wapello county, Iowa, and their only son is Donald Payne.
CHARLES A. MCNABB
HE is known as one of the most successful farmers and horticulturists in the southwest. He has accomplished his splendid results through concentrated effort, deep thought and study of the business and keeping abreast of modern methods and discoveries. He was appointed by Governor Ferguson to the position of secretary of the Territorial Board of Agriculture, and served in that office for two and a half years, his tenure of office expiring on the advent of statehood, October 6, 1907. During that time he worked energetically and unremittingly for improvement in the condition and resources of the farmers in Oklahoma, and a review of what he accomplished in that direction shows that his work was of inestimable benefit to the state. He organized farmer's institutes in every county in Oklahoma Territory, and up to the time statehood came in had organized twenty of the counties in Indian Territory. He personally gave a large number of lectures and demonstrations in these institutes, his principal work being in urging and showing the financial benefit of diversification of crops and of more extended stock raising. The growing of alfalfa was one of his favorite enterprises for farmers, and directly as a result of his efforts there have been thousands and thousands of acres of Oklahoma lands given up to this profitable crop that were formerly giving poor returns to their owners in wheat. Mr. McNabb largely concentrated his efforts on the alfalfa proposition in the northwestern part of Oklahoma, the "Strip" country, beginning in Garfield county, with the result that that section of the state, including the counties of Garfield, Kingfisher, Grant, Alfalfa, Woods and Majors, now contains some of the largest and richest alfalfa farms in the west, and several alfalfa mills have been established in those counties. The acreage of wheat has been cut down fifty per cent. Through the influence of these institutes the farmers have also gone more largely into other fields of profitable enterprise, such as raising corn, fruit and high grade live stock. One of the more recent questions that Mr. McNabb took up was that of sheep raising, with the result that hundreds of farmers began to make investigations and preparations for going into the sheep business.
In horticulture particularly Mr. McNabb has been looked upon as authority throughout the southwest for a number of years, and has been very energetic in the development of horticultural interests in Oklahoma. He was one of the charter members of the original Oklahoma Horticultural Society, organized in 1891. He was in attendance at every meeting but one of that society from its organization until in 1907 it was dissolved to give place to the present Oklahoma State Board of Agriculture. Through the efforts of the Horticultural Society a uniformity of action was obtained with reference to the selection of varieties of fruits and the dissemination of all kinds of information that aided very materially in the development of fruit growing in the state. No man has- put in the amount of work for the public benefit as has Mr. McNabb. To his individual efforts belongs the credit of organizing Oklahoma along civic improvement lines. He organized civic improvement clubs throughout Oklahoma, and followed this up with lectures giving valuable ideas in the work of civic improvement. This work includes farming regions as well as cities, and one of its main features is the influencing of farmers to beautify the surroundings of their home. He is president of the Oklahoma City Civic Improvement Club.
Since retiring from the position of secretary of the Oklahoma Board of Agriculture Mr. McNabb has devoted a part of his time to the real estate and loan business in Oklahoma City. In the early years of the history of the city, before he purchased his farm, he was for three years a member of the city council from the Fourth ward.
Born in Green County, Ohio, December 11, 1861, Mr. McNabb is a son of Milton and Amanda (Didie) McNabb. The father was also born in Greene County, and his father, a member of a Scotch family, was born in western Pennsylvania but was one of the first settlers of Ohio. His name was Abner William McNabb, and he came on a raft down the Ohio River looking for a location beyond the Alleghanies, locating first on the Kentucky side, but remained there only a short while and with his family located permanently in Greene County, Ohio.
Charles A. McNabb came west in 1885 and located in Winfield, Kansas. He had been reared on a farm, and farming had been his principal occupation. On the 22d of April, 1889, he took part in the opening of the Territory of Oklahoma, locating on that day in Oklahoma City, where he was in business until 1895 and then bought a quarter section of land, the northeast quarter of section 22, township 12, range 3, west, three miles north of Oklahoma City, and began farming and horticultural operations. He has since sold a part of this land, but still retains the principal portion of the farm, and although he still carries on its work his home is in the city.
Before coming west he married in Dayton, Ohio, Miss Callie Seeger, of that city, and their four children are Fred C., Jeannette, Mildred and Marie.
Among the men of marked enterprise and business ability who are pushing forward the wheels of progress and contributing to the substantial upbuilding and improvement of the new state of Oklahoma, is David McKinstry, a capitalist of Oklahoma City, whose wise counsel and keen discernment have been and are important factors in the success of many business concerns. He is now president of the Perry Mill Company, a director of the Pioneer Telephone Company and an officer of the Oklahoma Refining Company, while in other concerns he is financially interested.
Mr. McKinstry is a native of Ulster County, New York, and his father was president of the Wallkill Valley Railroad. The McKinstrys are of Scotch lineage of several generations residence in the historic Ulster County. David McKinstry pursued his early education in the local schools and afterwards attended the Riverview Military Academy at Poughkeepsie, New York. He continued to reside in his native county until 1892, when he removed to the west, first locating at Denver, Colorado, but in 1893-the year of the opening of the Cherokee Strip in Oklahoma--he went to Perry, Noble county, where he built a mill and established the business which for several years has been conducted under the name of the Perry Mill Company. This is one of the most important and successful industrial plants in the state. It has a capacity of four hundred barrels of flour per day and two hundred barrels of cornmeal, and in connection therewith is operating an elevator with a capacity of two hundred thousand bushels. The company enjoys a large domestic and export trade in hard wheat flour, and the excellence of its product is a guarantee of a continued sale. The plant is thoroughly equipped for the conduct of the business along the most modern lines of milling and as a factor in its control Mr. McKinstry displays the capable demonstrative direction and executive force which have been marked characteristics in his life.
A man of resourceful ability, he has extended his efforts to various lines. He built and managed the water works and electric light plant at Perry, also erected and put in operation an ice factory there and in many ways has been prominently connected with the industrial upbuilding and consequent prosperity of the town. Early in 1907, while still retaining his mill and other interests at Perry, he removed to Oklahoma City, and in that year began the erection of one of the finest and costliest residences of the city, located on West Fifteenth Street near Walker. It was completed in 1908 and would be a credit to a city of much larger size. Since coming here he has been elected one of the directors of the Security National Bank, one of the leading financial institutions of the state. His business capacity is so well known as to make his co-operation continuously sought and thus he has become a prominent factor in industrial and commercial circles.
Mr. McKinstry was married in Wichita, Kansas, to Miss Leona Herzer, and their position is one of notable social prominence. Mr. McKinstry is a genial, cordial gentleman, of marked individuality and strong force of character. Such has been his business discernment and his unfaltering industry that he seems to have accomplished at any one point of his business career the possibilities for successful accomplishments, and as the years have passed he has progressed to a position of prominence in the state, his labors proving a source of value in its upbuilding and advancement in the territorial days.
His valuable homestead farm lies southwest of the city and on which natural gas prospecting is being done, was born in Madison County, Kentucky, in 1876, and was reared on a farm in Jessamine County, that state, receiving his education principally in the schools of Nicholasville. Coming to Oklahoma in 1809 he bought his present homestead seven miles southwest of Oklahoma City, in section 26, Oklahoma County, where he owns four hundred acres of rich farming land. He has been gratifyingly successful in his farming and business operations, but in 1905 he moved his home from the farm to Oklahoma City, where he owns a beautiful residence in Maywood, No. 629 East Ninth street.
In March of 1908, while boring a well for water a pocket of natural gas was struck on Mr. Miller's farm, with such favorable indications of further resources of gas at a greater depth that he with others at once organized a stock company for drilling a test well on the Miller farm.
Mr. Miller was married in Denver, Colorado, to Miss May Benjamin, of Little Rock. Arkansas. Her father, Judge Benjamin, was a very prominent citizen there.
Back to Page 10
Back to Biographies