The History of Oklahoma Biographies Vol. II
by Luther B. Hill
ARTHUR WHITNEY SANDERS
County Clerk of Adair County, is one of the strong young men of the new state who is fully in line with the American spirit which holds that thoroughly educated citizens are the strongest asset of any commonwealth, old or new. It is this spirit and its numerous advocates and representatives in the far west and southwest which are making even the young communities beyond the Mississippi anything but raw in comparison with the older settled regions of the east. Before Mr. Sanders assumed his present duties as the first clerk of Adair County under statehood he was well known as an educator. He was born in what is now Cherokee County, June 21, 1882, a son of William F. and Ellen A. (Goree) Sanders. His father spent the later years of his life as a farmer in the Illinois district of the Cherokee nation, and as he died when Arthur W. was quite young the boy was reared and educated by his faithful and thoughtful mother, who is still living and a resident of Adair County.
Mr. Sanders of this sketch reached maturity as a resident of Tahlequah district, now Cherokee County, acquiring his education at the Presbyterian school known as the Tahlequah Institute and the Cherokee National Male Seminary. Before leaving the latter institution, at the age of eighteen, he had been engaged in teaching, and afterward continued in that profession, his duties taking him throughout what are now Cherokee, Mays and Adair counties. During that period he also engaged to some extent in agricultural and live stock matters and, under the law, received his allotment of lands. With the ambition and foresight born of natural intelligence and a sound education, he became an earnest advocate of statehood, and was early recognized as promising personal material to work into the structure of the coming commonwealth. The judgment of his friends proved sound, for his candidacy for the county clerkship on the Democratic ticket resulted in the defeat of his two competitors by a majority of two hundred and twenty-five, and his induction into office on the 16th of November, 1907. Since that date his official duties have been performed with promptness, discretion and ability, as well as with that conscientious zeal which is inborn with the natural educator. The county clerk has reached the Master's degree in Masonry and, barring his bachelorhood, is a typical American citizen.
MORRIS W. KILLINGSWORTH
Deputy Sheriff of McIntosh County, where he is also a successful farmer, was born in Fayette County, Alabama, in 1861. He is a son of William J. and Frances F. (Goss) Killingsworth, natives of Alabama and Georgia, respectively. W. J. Killingsworth is a farmer and still resides in Fayette County, Alabama. He served in the Confederate army, and was twice wounded by exploding bombs, once in the thigh and once in the mouth, but survived both wounds and was with General Lee at the surrender. He and his wife reared ten children, namely: Morris Y.; Dee, of Memphis, Tennessee; Ella, wife of Green Wade, of Alabama; Isom (deceased), of Alabama; Wiley, of Alabama; Felix, a member of the United States Regulars, stationed in Alaska; Henry; Burton; Exclor; and Volley.
Morris Killingsworth, the eldest of the family, received his education in the public schools of his native county, and left Alabama in 1889, locating immediately in the Choctaw territory, where he spent eleven years. In 1900 he came to McIntosh County, which has since been his home. Upon his first coming to the territory Mr. Killingsworth brought with him his wife and four children, and had a capital of some four hundred dollars. He has continually prospered, and is now in very comfortable circumstances. He is an intelligent farmer, and has also been successful in stock raising. He engaged for a short time in mercantile business in Brush Hill and was six years notary previous to statehood. During his employ by the Federal government Mr. Killingsworth did an enormous amount of work, and had but one set of papers returned for correction; among the work being several hundred applications for soldiers' pensions.
Mr. Killingsworth was appointed special deputy by W. L. Odom, the first sheriff of McIntosh County under statehood. He was engaged in the "Second Day's Fight" in the Crazy Snake uprising in McIntosh County, where two deputy sheriffs and several others were killed. Mr. Killingsworth captured the two brothers of Crazy Snake in the southwestern portion of the county.
By hard work and industry Mr. Killingsworth has acquired four hundred and eight acres of fine farming land, two hundred and seventy-five acres of which are under cultivation. He also leases some three or four hundred acres. He is a good manager, and one of the leading farmers in the county. Upon first coming to this section the country was wild, and the first time he went to church he saw three games of cards within thirty feet of the meeting house. He resides some twelve miles southwest of Checotah, and this country is now all fenced in, and the most of it under cultivation. Politically he is a strong Democrat, and he takes an active interest in public affairs. He is a member of Council Hill Lodge Number 328, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and is master of the lodge; he is also a Royal Arch Mason of Checotah Chapter Number 28. He belongs to Lodge Number 20, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Checotah, and to the Modern Woodmen of America, of Brush Hill, having served four years as counsel for the last named lodge.
Mr. Killingsworth married, in 1882, Margaret, daughter of Steven and Eliza (DePoister) Woodward, natives of Alabama. Mr. Woodward and his wife had children as follows: Louis, deceased; John, Margaret, Mrs. Killingsworth; Metton; George; James and one other. Mr. Killingsworth and his wife became parents of nine children, of whom seven survive, namely: Davis; Adah, wife of Edward Editchison, of Oklahoma; Hughey; Zorah, wife of Robert Hisaw; Owen, Effie and Bonnie.
WILLIAM R. RICHARDSON
Whose term as police magistrate of Checotah will expire in 1910, is one of the able young business men of good education who came to the Chickasaw nation in the late nineties, and has ever since been giving a good account of himself.
For some time past he has been prominent as a general insurance man, as well as an. impartial dispenser of justice. He is a native of Denton County, Texas, born in the year 1870, and is a son of Rev. J. J. and Annie E. (McReynolds) Richardson. His father came to Texas from Mississippi in 1869, the year after his marriage, the journey being made with ox teams with his bride and his wife's parents. The route lay through Arkansas, and the trip consumed two months of hard travel in its accomplishment. On arriving in Denton County Rev. Richardson engaged in farming in connection with his ministerial duties, and in 1891 moved to the city of Denton, where he still resides. His wife's parents, Stephen and Mary (Leach) McReynolds, moved from Denton and settled twelve miles distant on what afterward became the site of Lloyd, of which Mr. McReynolds is the acknowledged founder. Both died in that locality, the husband having become prominent as .a farmer, stockman and a country merchant. They were the parents of the following: Dewitt, who now resides in Oklahoma; Frank, who lives on the old home place in Lloyd; Elizabeth, wife of George W. Blair; Annie, mother of William R. Richardson; Ewing, of Young County, Texas; Willie, deceased, who was the wife of William McNiel, of Floyd County, that state; Ephraim, who lives in Oklahoma; Stephen, a physician of Denton; John L., a school principal at Houston, Texas; and Robert L., a farmer of Lloyd, also in Texas. Rev. J. J. Richardson was one in a family of seven children, of whom six reared families, as follows: Charles T., now a resident of Young County, Texas; Jane, who married James Hughes; Mary, Mrs. James Yates, of Miller County, Arkansas; J. J., father of William R.; Mattie, who is deceased; and Dr. Isaac Richardson, a practitioner of southwest Texas.
W. R. Richardson was born in Denton County, Texas, in 1870, his earlier years being spent as a pupil of the public schools of that place. Later he completed a course at the State Normal School, and after teaching in Texas for about four years engaged in farming for three years. Then, in 1899, he moved to Indian territory, locating near Stonewall in the Chickasaw Nation. In that locality he was a cattle dealer for another two years, and in 1901 entered the United States mail service, but continued in that line but a short time, as he desired a more settled occupation. Mr. Richardson therefore located in Checotah in 1902, and after being connected with various business enterprises until January, 1908, established a general insurance house which he has developed into a substantial institution. In April, 1909, he was also elected police justice of Checotah, which office he still holds.
The Judge married February 17, 1895, Miss Jennie Brown of Denton, Texas, a daughter of W. B. and Elizabeth (Phillips) Brown. Mrs. Richardson's father was a stockman of prominence. There were only two children of the family who reached maturity, Lee Brown, the son, being a resident of Cleburne. Mr. and Mrs. Richardson are the parents of five sons.-Charles L., James B., Theodore L., Robert L. and Joseph W. Mrs. Richardson is a member of the Presbyterian church, and in his fraternal relations her husband is connected with Checotah Lodge No. 20, I. 0. 0. F.
In completion of the family record of Mr. Richardson, it may be added that he is the eldest of six children, the other five being as follows: Mary L., who is now the wife of R. W. Fenton, of Argyle, Texas; Stephen M., a resident of Brady, Texas; L. M., of California; Pattie, a teacher in the public schools of Denton; and Charles, who is still living at home in that city. The mother died in 1901, but the father is still a resident of Denton.
HENRY C. MEIGS
HE is one of the old settlers of Oklahoma and one of Fort Gibson's leading farmers. He was born at Park Hill, near Tahlequah, Oklahoma, in 1841. His father, Return J. Meigs, was a native of Tennessee, of English descent. The first member of the family coming to America, by name Vincent Meigs, emigrated from England in 1634, sailing from Weymouth. The family grew very prominent in New England, and among its members were governors, United States generals, and many Revolutionary soldiers. They were also well represented in the war of 1812 and the Civil war; in the latter General Meigs, of the Union army, is a cousin of Henry C. Meigs.
Return J. Meigs married Jane Ross, daughter of Chief John Ross, of the Cherokee Tribe, who was chief for forty years. Mention will be made at length of the career of Chief Ross in the historical portion of this work. After his marriage Mr. Meigs came west with the Ross family and settled at Park Hill. He went into business, but the outlaws of the community in 1845 burned his residence and tried to murder him. Ho became much dissatisfied with this life, and in 1850 started overland to California. Upon reaching a place sixty miles west of Salt Lake he died of cholera, August 6, 1850; the place of his death is on the ground of the Mountain Meadow Massacre. He left a widow and five children, namely: John R., who served in the Union army and is now deceased; H. C.; Elizabeth Grace, deceased wife of Rufus Ross, who left two children - Gulielma, who married James Davenport, who served a term as member of Congress, and George F.; Submit, deceased, wife of John F. Lyons, also deceased, who left three children, Anna E., of Washington, and William and Charles, of California; and Return R., of Park Hill, a farmer. The widow of R. J. Meigs afterward married Andrew R. Nare, and of this union the children were: Andrew R., of Park Hill, and Henrietta J., wife of William Hunton, of Arkansas, who resides at Park Hill. Mrs. Nare died in June, 1894.
Henry C. Meigs received his education at Park Hill in the Cherokee mission schools and in the Cherokee public schools, and he spent one term in school at Lawrenceville, New Jersey. Since attaining his majority he has spent most of his time in mercantile pursuits. He was for fourteen years deputy postmaster of Fort Gibson, and also served two years as clerk in the district court, including the district circuit and supreme court of the Nation. He was later elected judge of the Illinois district court, trying mostly civil cases where the damage was not in excess of two hundred dollars. He has served several terms as alderman of Fort Gibson, and for one term was acting mayor. He owns a fine farm in the County, and for some years past has spent much time in the interest of its cultivation. He is a prominent man in public and social circles, and universally esteemed. He belongs to Alpha Lodge Number 12, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, has filled all the chairs of the lodge, and for several years has served as treasurer of the lodge. Politically he is independent. In 1868 Mr. Meigs married Josephine L., daughter of Jerry and Ruth (Fields) Bigelow, and their only child. Her father was robbed and murdered about 1845, and she was left motherless at a tender age. Mr. and Mrs. Meigs have six children living, namely: Carrie Few, wife of Richard C. Adams, of Delaware Nation; Annie S., wife of Frank J. Bandinot, an attorney of Fort Gibson; Robert H., at home; James McDonald; Alice M., and Josephine L. Mrs. Meigs died in 1895. The daughters are members of the Presbyterian church with the exception of Mrs. Adams, who is a Catholic.
F. H. NASH
The largest general merchant in Fort Gibson, was born in Louisiana in 1837, and received his education in New Orleans. His father, N. H. Nash, was a native of Massachusetts, who came to Louisiana when a young man. The family emigrated from England in the seventeenth century and settled in Massachusetts, and the grandfather of F. H. Nash served in the war of the Revolution. N. H. Nash died in 1854, at Van Buren, Arkansas, whither he had moved in 1852. He married Sarah J. Smelser, of German parentage, in Louisiana, and they reared the following children: F. H.; Augustine, widow of Ephraim Whitman, of Massachusetts; William S., who died leaving a widow in Fort Gibson; twins, Alfred and Albert, the former of whom died in infancy; Florence, wife of Connell Rodgers, the present treasurer of Muskogee County; and Clara, wife of John D. Curtis, of Massachusetts. Albert served in the Confederate army and was killed at Vicksburg, Mississippi, in 1863.
F. H. Nash removed to Van Buren. Arkansas, in 1853, having completed his education, and in August of the same year removed to Fort Gibson, of which city he is now the oldest white inhabitant. On his arrival the place was one of the most quiet country towns he had ever visited, and he was first employed by the sutler of the army post. He had a personal acquaintance with every commander of the post from the time of his arrival until the post was removed in 1858; it was returned eight years later and re-established. Among the most prominent of his acquaintances before the Civil war were: H. M. Black, now United States quartermaster; General William L. Coble, of Dallas, Texas; Colonel Pitcairn Morrison; Captain Henry Little; Colonel Ed Brooks, who afterwards served in the Confederate army; Lieutenant Henry, who was cashiered in 1856 and afterward went to Nicaragua in the Walker Expedition; and many others whose names he cannot now recall, but among whom was General Baxton Bragg, who afterward joined the Confederate army. Conditions in the community during the war were exceedingly disturbing, and Mr. Nash says a person was not safe outside the garrison. The Cherokee Indians divided, the halfbloods going into the Confederate army and the full blood Indians into the Union army, thus causing much discord and strife. Mr. Nash served a short time in the Confederate army as aide de camp to Colonel Cooper, and arrived at the battle of Pea Ridge too late to participate. In 1864 Mr. Nash formed a partnership with Lewis and W. P. Ross and D. H. Ross, sutlers for the Third Indian Regiment, and this business was conducted until the close of the war. After the troops were disbanded Mr. Nash resumed mercantile business. Beginning with a small capital, by hard work and patience he was able to augment it until he had a very nice and profitable business. In 1874 he met with misfortune, and engaged in farming for several years. In 1887 he opened his present establishment, carrying a line of dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, hardware, saddlery, and a full line of groceries; he has been very successful and does an annual business amounting to some seventy-five thousand dollars. During the years between 1880 and 1890 the James and Younger boys and Cherokee outlaws made frequent forays into Fort Gibson, and on two separate occasions robbed the store and cash drawers of Mr. Nash, taking a large amount each time; they did not, however, offer personal violence to any of the firm. He has met and known the most famous outlaws of the surrounding country in earlier days.
Mr. Nash is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Alpha Lodge Number 12; is a member of the Royal Arch Masons, Muskogee Chapter Number 3, as well as Muskogee Council Number 2 and Muskogee Commandery Number 1, and is a thirty-second degree Mason of the Southern Jurisdiction, United States. He became a member of the order at Leavenworth, in King Solomon Lodge Number 10, in 1860. For three years, 1885, 1886 and 1889 Mr. Nash was grand master for the territory; this caused him to travel over the entire state. His sons, F. H., Jr., and L. R., are both members of the blue lodge, and the latter is a member of the Scottish Rite, the thirty-second degree in the order. Politically Mr. Nash is a Democrat, and in 1908 took advantage of the first opportunity to vote for the president of the United States. In contradiction to his political affiliations but in accord with his best judgment he cast his vote for William H. Taft.
In 1862 Mr. Nash married (first) Fannie R. Vann, a native of Muskogee County, and daughter of James S. and Araminta (Ross) Vann, her mother a daughter of Lewis Ross of the Cherokee Nation. She was a member of the Methodist church, South. Of this marriage three children were born, namely: Louis R., a druggist in Fort Gibson; Harraden F., deceased; and Ida V., wife of R. E. Coleman, of Fort Gibson. Mrs. Nash died in 1873. Mr. Nash married (second) in 1874, Lucy Morgan, daughter of Andrew L. Rodgers, an adopted citizen who had come from Georgia. The Morgans were relatives of the famous Morgan family of Kentucky. Of this marriage the children were: Fannie E., Francis A., F. H., Jr., Lucy M., Corinne, Hilda, Clarence E. (deceased) and Edwin O. Mrs. Nash died December 28, 1890. Mr. Nash and his family are all members of the old school Presbyterian church. In 1862 Mr. Nash was adopted a citizen of the Nation.
JUDGE WILLIAM T. DRAKE
County Judge of Wagoner County and for the past five years a leading advocate of the local bar, has been for sixteen years connected with the profession of law in Oklahoma. He identified himself with the citizens of Woods County in 1893. Judge Drake was born in St. Clair County, Michigan, in the month of May, 1873, and is a son of Erwin L. Drake, of Wichita, Kansas, who was born in New York in 1843. He served with the Army of the Potomac in the New York troops during the war of the rebellion, and moved to Michigan soon after his marriage, in 1878. He spent five years in Wakena, Kansas, and in 1883 moved to Lyons, Kansas, where he lived until his children grew up, and then he settled in his present home in Wichita. He married Marrgett Barker, and their children were: Elmer, a grain merchant of Alva, Oklahoma; Bert E., of Muskogee, employed in government service; Judge Drake; and Cora, wife of Adolphus Martenay, of Corwin, Kansas.
William T. Drake was scarcely of legal age when he set out to make his mark in Oklahoma, and among his first steps was the taking of a homestead near Alva, on which he proved his title while teaching in the country schools. He completed his high school course and graduated in Lyons, and then engaged in teaching as a means of reaching a course in law at some future date. He was nearing the age of thirty years when the coveted opportunity came, and he entered the law department of the University of Kansas, from which he graduated in 1903. He was admitted to the bar in June of that year, after an examination before the supreme court, and immediately opened an office in Alva. Deciding to locate farther east, he came to Wagoner the same year and formed a partnership with W. 0. Rittenhouse, a young man of unusual promise who had come from the bar in Ohio. Mr. Drake gained a reputation as a counselor and advocate that assured his success and won for him the office of the first County Judge of Wagoner County.
Judge Drake entered political affairs as a Republican when he became a voter, and his support has been given to the party since. He has served as delegate when honored with the office in convention, and was a member of the first Republican State Convention of Oklahoma, held in Tulsa in 1907. He won the nomination against one competitor for County Judge, and was elected by a majority approaching five hundred votes. He entered upon his duties with the advent of statehood, and filled the office with dignity and ability, facilitating the solution of many legal difficulties and entanglements, and expediting the business of the court while maintaining the sanctity of his obligation and the dignity of his court. In manner Judge Drake is cordial and affable, he is quick of speech and action, and his sincerity and earnestness impress themselves upon all with whom he comes in contact. His interest in the public welfare is apparent to all. He shares his home with his friends, and his daily conduct shows him to be conscientious and manly, fully determined to fulfill his duty in all things. He was one of the organizers of the Citizens State Bank of Wagoner and is its vice president. He belongs to the Knights of Pythias, has passed through the chairs in the Odd Fellows lodge, and carries insurance in the Modern Woodmen of America.
Judge Drake married, in Rice County, Kansas, October 5, 1895, Dora, daughter of James Thompson, formerly of Ohio. Their children are: Erwin, eleven years of age, and Irene, who is eight.
DR. BENJAMIN DAVIS
A prominent physician of Cushing, was born in Oelwein, Iowa, October 4, 1881. His parents, Benjamin and Theresa M. (McCurdy) Davis, natives of Pennsylvania and New Hampshire, respectfully, were married in Iowa, whither their parents had moved as pioneers. Benjamin Davis, the father, became a merchant after reaching manhood, and spent the greater portion of his life in that occupation. He located in South Dakota, and there died in 1900; his wife moved to St. Louis in 1902. They were the parents of the following four children: Benjamin; Earl R., deceased; Arthur L., a dentist living in Princeton, Wisconsin; and Myrtle B.
Dr. Davis received his early education in Iowa and South Dakota, and graduated from the high school at Mitchell, South Dakota. He spent two years in Dakota University, and in 1902 entered the medical department of the St. Louis University, from which he graduated in 1906. During his junior year Dr. Davis and forty other students took the examination of the State Board of Examiners, and four of them passed, he being one of them. Thus he was given a good place in the senior class. After his graduation he spent one year as interne at the City Emergency Hospital of St. Louis, and for the next eighteen months practiced his profession at Albany, Gentry County, Missouri. On January 1, 1909, Dr. Davis settled in Cushing, and purchased the practice of Dr. D. D. McHenry, and since has also been successfully building up a practice on his own account. He is considered one of the leaders in his profession, and has a general practice in the city and also extending into the surrounding country eight or ten miles. Dr. Davis devotes his best energies to his profession, and takes little interest in political matters, though he votes with the Republican party, as a rule, in national affairs. However, he is actively interested in all matters pertaining to the welfare and growth of his adopted state and town, and always lends his support to any worthy cause. He is a member of Athens Lodge Number 127, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of Albany, Missouri. He has many friends in Cushing, and has won confidence and respect.
DR. H. C. MANNING
One of the leading physicians of Cushing, and the oldest in point of residence, was born in Whitley County, Kentucky, a son of William H. and A. J. (Bryant) Manning, both natives of Kentucky. William H. Manning was a farmer, and enlisted in a company in the Second Infantry and Light Artillery, United States service, under Captain Thomas. He took part in many battles, and after the war returned to Kentucky and again engaged in farming. He never held a political office, but devoted his time and attention to his farming and merchandising. He died on the old homestead in 1896; his wife survived him until 1898. They were the parents of thirteen children, all of whom lived to maturity, and all except one live in Kentucky. They are: H. L.; Annie, deceased, wife of M. B. Jones; William; J. L.; Hannah, wife of Jerry Jones; Marion B.; John W.; Vina, wife of Jerry Medows; Willis T.; Louis P.; Homer C.; James; and Edward M. Homer C. Manning was reared on his father's farm, and also spent some time in the store, receiving his primary education in the village of Williamsburg. At the age of twenty-three years he entered Chattanooga Grant University, and graduated from the medical department in the Class of 1907. He was president of the graduating class. He returned home, and in November of that year came to Oklahoma, locating at Cushing, where on January 1, 1908, he purchased the practice of Dr. Maginnis, who had spent ten years in this locality. Dr. Manning is the senior practicing physician of Cushing, and is a prominent citizen. Ho has built up a good practice, and is universally esteemed and respected. He has taken a special course in diseases of women and children, and is also an expert surgeon. He also has a large general practice, which extends ten or twelve miles into the surrounding country, and is called in consultation to most of the neighboring towns. Dr. Manning, being well pleased with the people of the city, and being in love with the country and surroundings, is permanently located in Cushing. He is a member of Union Lodge Number 277, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of Cushing, of which he is junior warden. In January, 1910, he became a member of the Consistory and is now a thirty-second degree Mason. He and his wife are members of the Baptist church. Politically he is a Republican.
Dr. Manning married, in June, 1905, Dora, daughter of Lieutenant W. A. and Lucy (Gibson) Smith, of Kentucky. Mr. Smith was a commissioned officer in the United States service during the Civil war. He and his wife reared a family of eight children, namely: G. B.; Sophie, wife of H. G. Brandenburg; Arlina, wife of Jessie Kidd; Atta, wife of L. Sizemore; H. C.; Mattie, wife of B. W. Hubbard; Dora, Mrs. Manning; and Minnie, wife of Arthur Garrett. Mr. Smith and his wife still reside on the old homestead, where he is actively engaged in general and stock farming. Dr. and Mrs. Manning have had one child, Ethel P., who died in infancy.
THOMAS J. WILLIAMS
Treasurer of Delaware County, was born November 16, 1868, in Benton County, Arkansas, and was educated in the public schools of his native state. His grandfather, John Williams, was born November 10, 1791, and died on November 8, 1873; his wife, Nancy Bowl, was born in 1795 and died March 5, 1874. His father, Thomas D. Williams, was born April 27, 1822, in Tennessee, was a farmer and he died on March 5, 1908, in Arkansas. He had been educated in the public schools of Missouri, and had married Marthy, daughter of G. T. Ford, born September 25, 1808, and she died in June, 1892; her sister, Jane Middleton Ford, was born in 1810 and died in June, 1894. Thomas J. Williams had three brothers and one sister: Henry, born July 17, 1866; George, born November 14, 1870; Robert, born in December, 1874; and Hattie, born in 1872 and died in 1875.
Thomas J. Williams came to Oklahoma in 1896, and carried on farming until elected to his present office in 1907, being the first treasurer of the county under statehood. He is a landholder and an industrious, useful citizen. He is active in church work and a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, also a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He has many friends, and is well known and liked. Mr. Williams married, March 21, 1888, Zillie Williams, of Arkansas, born in Missouri in 1866, and they had six children, as follows: Lucy, born January 18, 1891, died December 8, 1905; Katie, born July 14, 1893, died in August, 1894; Fannie, born January 16, 1895; Arthur, born May 7, 1900; Gordon, born February 27, 1902; and Lloyd, born March 7, 1906. Mrs. Williams died April 1, 1906. Mr. Williams married (second) in 1907, Mrs. Edwards, of Benton County, Arkansas, born in Pennsylvania in 1872. Her parents are both natives of Pennsylvania, and farmers; her mother died April 23, 1909, and her father now lives in Arkansas. Mrs. Williams has three brothers living, namely: Hoover Kerr, Warren Kerr and Clark Kerr. Her sister Hattie married Jerome Chadd, and they live in New Mexico.
ANTHONY G. SOLDANI
Of Ponca City, is one of the representative citizens of his town and one of the extensive farmers of Osage County, where his chief interests are and have been held for years. He was a boy of ten years when his residence in the Osage nation began, whither he came from Kansas City, Missouri, his birthplace on the 25th of December, 1861. John Soldani, his father, was a Frenchman who had died in that city during the early childhood of his son. He had married a half-breed Osage woman who passed away in Coffeeville, Kansas.
The family, headed by the mother and stepfather - Simon Clavier, left Kansas City in 1871 and came to the new home of the Osages, and in this country her two sons, Sylvester J. and Anthony G., grew to years of maturity. The tribal schools were relied upon for their education, and Anthony G., began life for himself with little more than the elementary principles of learning, for his situation early impelled him to seek work as a sole relief from want and his hands were depended upon to lay the foundation for future success. But he subsequently pursued a course in the Wilson Business College of Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Among his first experiences he learned to use the axe, and when he took up seriously the problem of life his resources embraced a span of mules, for which he exercised the limit of his credit. He opened a farm near the Kaw agency, and won his first success as a farmer there, and the growing of corn and wheat and the handling of cattle have entered largely into the elements of his fame as a farmer. When allotments in severalty were taken Mr. Soldani selected his and that of his family on the west side of the county near the Arkansas river, their homesteads embracing about two thousand acres, and are improved in accordance with the demands of the situation. He is numbered among the successful men of his nation of people and' his interests have been allowed to extend to matters beyond and different from those of the farm.
He was one of the promoters and organizers of the Farmers National Bank of Ponca City, now the Farmers State Bank. He is largely interested in the Ponca City Gas and Mineral Company, now doing development work in the gas field about Ponca City, and also a heavy stock-holder in the Pawhuska Oil and Gas Company of Pawhuska, Oklahoma. In 1898 he became a resident of Ponca, improving the Soldani Block on a summit overlooking the country of his people to the east, and this is crowned with a commodious residence. It is surrounded by a forest of shade trees, risen from the family hand, and on this spot his children are nearing the stage of man and womanhood. Mr. Soldani took no serious interest in politics among the Osages, nor does he possess ambition for public office. He is a Republican, his sympathy always having been with the principles of that party. He is respected in his opinions in both public life and in business, and holds an enduring place in the hearts of his neighbors as a man and citizen. He is a Master Mason, a member of Ponca Lodge No. 83, of Ponca City, Oklahoma, of which he has been Master.
On the 12th of July, 1886, he married Miss Kittie Fronkier, a lady of Osage, Kaw and French ancestors. She was born in Shawnee County, Kansas. The issue of this union is John B., who died at the age of twelve years; Mary Louise, who married Dr. G. H. Niemann and died in June of 1909, at the age of twenty-two; Frank E., Charles L., Clarence M., Grace M., Rose M., George H. and Anthony J. The family are members of the Catholic church.
OLIVER W. KILLAM
A large real estate dealer of Grove, was born April 27, 1874, and came to Grove from Lincoln County, Missouri. His father, D. T. Killam, a farmer in Missouri but now retired from active business, was born in May, 1842; his mother, who was born about 1845, died in 1901. He has the following brothers and sisters: William T., born August 15, 1870; Lillian, born in 1872; Susie E., in 1876; Julian C., in 1878; Florence, in 1880; David E., in 1882; and Lloyd, in 1885, all living. D. T. Killam married (second) in 1903, Georgie Reed, and they have one child, Reed, born in 1904.
Oliver W. Killam has been very successful in all his business enterprises, and has been able to accumulate a comfortable fortune. He has been one of the leaders in city progress and improvement; he served one term as mayor, and was president of the corporation that built the first school house in Grove, at a cost of five thousand dollars, which was afterwards sold to the district. He operates a lime kiln and flour mill, and is one of the leading business men of the city. He is industrious and enterprising, and a useful and public-spirited citizen. Mr. Killam married, in May, 1902, Hattie Smith, of Missouri, born September 16, 1876, and they have one son, Winfield, born in 1904.
PATRICK J. DORE
One of the leading citizens of Westville, is a leading spirit in mercantile affairs and a leader in all movements tending towards the progress and advancement of the community's interest. In business circles he is enterprising and energetic, in politics active and uncompromising, and in social intercourse loyal, friendly and obliging. He was born near Lincoln, Nebraska, September 1, 1868; his father, the late Patrick Dore, settled in Nebraska as a pioneer in 1868, there becoming a successful farmer and prominent citizen. He was born in Ireland in 1837, and came to America at the age of sixteen years from Dublin. He necessarily carved his own career without aid from family or influential friends. He was possessed of only a rudimentary education, and was a quiet, modest man, caring not for political honors; in sentiment he was a Democrat. He died in 1905. Patrick Dore married Ellen Dorsey in Juneau County, Wisconsin, a Canadian by birth and of Irish pedigree, whose parents lived in Montreal. She died in 1901, leaving thirteen children, of whom Patrick J. is the seventh.
Patrick J. Dore was reared to farm work on his father's homestead, twelve miles north of Lincoln. He acquired his education in the public schools in the country, and added a course in the Lincoln Business College. At the age of eighteen years he made his entry into business life. He has been identified with Oklahoma since 1901, and came first as a salary man, in the construction of railroads. However, he soon afterward engaged in business in Westville. He had been in a semi-mercantile position for many years, in charge of the mercantile department of construction companies in railroad work, which he began as a youth and has developed an aptitude for handling and dealing with men that has been of great value to him in his own enterprises. During the fifteen years he spent in charge of the commissary of construction companies he was with the Fitzgerald-Mallory Company of Nebraska; the W. R. Stubb's Company of Lawrence, Kansas; and the William Kennefick Construction Company of Kansas City.
About the time he established himself in the line of merchandise in Westville Mr. Dore began dealing in real estate in the manner common to the time and conditions, but since the removal of many of the restrictions from many of the Indians and the advent of statehood he has engaged more extensively in the business, and has become distinctively a dealer in real estate. This enterprise has been a valuable addition to his mercantile interests; he also finds a good market for the products of his farming interests, which are cared for by tenants.
In political views Mr. Dore stands preeminently as a Republican. His opinions were largely formed through his association with men whose success as employers depended largely upon the business conditions caused by the policies of the administration of affairs at Washington. Thus, upon reaching an age to vote, he repudiated the beliefs and principles taught him by his father and adopted the faith of the Republican party. His political influence has been great in Oklahoma, and he has been signally honored by the Republicans of the state. He was nominated by the first state Republican convention at Tulsa, for one of the corporation commissioners (the others being John Johnson and Dan Crafton), but was defeated with the rest of the ticket. He was nominated one of the presidential delegates-at-large in 1908, and helped nominate the present incumbent of the office of president of the United States. He is state committeeman from Adair County. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, of the Modern Woodmen of America, and of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He has a third interest in the electric light franchise for Westville, the construction of the plant having been recently completed.
In July, 1901, Mr. Dore married, in Westville, Nolia B., a daughter of Johnson A. Bryant, from Chattanooga, Tennessee, where she was born; they have no children.
DR. GEORGE W. TILLY
Of Pryor Creek, stands at the head of a large and growing practice in this city. He was born at Epperson, Tennessee, December 8, 1871, and he attended the Unaka Academy there and later pursued a course in medicine at the Louisville Medical College of Louisville, Kentucky. He also attended the Tennessee Medical College at Knoxville, that state, and finally graduated from the medical department of the U. S. Grant University at Chattanooga. Returning to his home city of Epperson he practiced there for three years or until April of 1896, and coming then to the Indian Territory he was in practice here for three years, when he returned to his native state and to Cog Hill. But again coming to the Indian Territory he established himself this time at Pryor Creek, where he had a brother located and who is now the president of the State Board of Health, and the two engaged in practice together. In 1907 Dr. G. W. Tilly was appointed county superintendent of the board of health for Mayes County through Dr. Mahr, the then superintendent of the state board of health, and this post Dr. Tilly still retains.
He has attained a high place in the ranks of his chosen profession, and he has won special renown through his careful study and his conscientious treatment of all diseases under his care. He has gained and retained the confidence and esteem of a wide circle of friends. He is ambitious and well informed on all questions of the day and takes a great interest in the fight against tuberculosis and contagious diseases. He is a member of the local advisory committee of one hundred of the American Association for the Advancement of Science on National Health, of New Haven, Connecticut.
Dr. Tilly married on October 4, 1900, Linnie Holloway, from Cog Hill, Tennessee, and their children are Virgil, Robert and Pauline.
BENJAMIN F. WALKER
One of the early settlers of Cushing, was born in Iowa in 1843, and is a son of Jesse C. and Angeline (Ownesby) Walker, of French and Scotch parentage. The Walkers settled first in Virginia, and from there the grandfather of Benjamin, Joseph Walker, moved to the Green river section of Kentucky when it was only a territory. His father served in the war with Mexico, and died shortly after his return home.
Jessie C. Walker was born and reared in Kentucky, and when he reached the age of twenty-one years he came with his mother to Illinois and settled in Pittsfield, Pike County, where he remained ten years. He next located in Jefferson County, Iowa, where he entered land for one dollar and a quarter per acre. This part of the state was then wild and unsettled, and the place he first entered in 1839 is the ground on which now stands the city of Fairfield. He lost the first entry through some error of the land office, and later took another one hundred and sixty acres close to where the town was afterward built. He converted this land into one of the finest and best improved farms in that section of the state, and lived there many years. In 1805 he moved to Neosho County, Kansas, and took up another unimproved farm of one hundred and sixty acres. He made improvements, and when the price of land advanced and people began crowding in he sold his farm and removed farther west, into Cowley County, Kansas, where he subsequently died, leaving his wife and children. Two years later his widow died on the same farm. Of their ten children nine grew to maturity. They are: Emily, deceased wife of George Peck, of Indianola, Iowa; Nancy, who married first Marion Martin and for her second husband Henry Martin; Martha, deceased wife of Ephraim Routson, whose children are scattered; Thomas, an old soldier who lives in Grant County, Oklahoma; Benjamin F.; Joseph G., deceased; James, of Pierce, Colorado; Mary, wife of Elias Weidner, of Chandler, Oklahoma; Eliza, wife of M. I. Boyles, of Clashing; and William, of Mulhall, Oklahoma.
Benjamin F. Walker received his education in the country schools of Iowa, supplemented by a term at Howes Normal College at Mount Pleasant, Iowa. When eighteen years of age he entered Company F of the Fourteenth Iowa Infantry, and was in the Sixteenth Army Corps. Besides numerous small engagements Mr. Walker participated in the following hard-fought battles: Fort Donelson; Shiloh, where he was wounded in the thigh, taken prisoner, sent to Memphis and transferred to various places, until reaching Macon, Georgia, where he and many others were paroled. Two months afterward he was exchanged and returned to his old command. At the time of his capture the whole regiment was also taken, among them General Prentice, brigadier commander. Although history reports that the general surrendered at one o'clock, this did not actually take place until six P. M., although from twelve until six he held no communication with the main army. After rejoining his old command Mr. Walker fought in the Meridian Raid, leaving for Meridian from Memphis, and a number of serious encounters took place, the principal one being battle of Meridian. After this the regiment was changed from Sherman's Division and they were detached with General A. J. Smith's army, operating mostly along the Red River in Louisiana, under General Banks and Mr. Walker was under the immediate command of General Smith. The first battle was at Fort DuRussie, where Smith's men had been sent; the Federals took the Rebels in the rear, and with a yell captured the fort; the enemy were not even able to use their siege guns. They afterward proceeded with Banks up the Red River, and the next engagement was the battle of Pleasant Hill, where Colonel Newbold of the Fourteenth Iowa was killed. Continuing up the river, they were within seventeen miles of Shreveport when Banks ordered a retreat, and for the next thirty-one days they were under fire from the pursuing Confederates until they reached the Mississippi. The boats were loaded with cotton and the soldiers marched through the swamps on foot; here the Rebels returned to upper Louisiana. About this time the time of the Iowa Fourteenth had nearly expired, and they were ordered to Davenport, Iowa, to be mustered out. When they arrived at St. Louis General Price of the Confederate army was making his last raid through Missouri and Kansas, and the regiment was asked to assist in driving him south, which they did, and followed him to the Big Blue, near Kansas City. They afterward proceeded to Davenport, and were discharged in November, 1864. Mr. Walker's brother Joseph was severely wounded at the battle of Pleasant Hill by a bursting bomb, which tore away a portion of his scalp and a part of his foot.
At the close of the war Mr. Walker returned to Henry County, Iowa, and that fall was married, after which he moved to Kansas and settled on raw land in Neosho County. He entered this land from the government, and after slightly improving it sold the same and moved to Cowley County, Kansas, and there pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres of raw land, on which he made valuable improvements. He afterward sold this and located in Madison County, Arkansas, where he took up a homestead and remained five years. Returning to Cowley County, Kansas, he again pre-empted land, this being in 1876, and remained there six years. He then settled at Winfield, Kansas, on a piece of land which he made the finest fruit farm in the county, remaining there ten years. He located in the town of Hoisted, and a short time later removed to Payne County, Oklahoma, where he improved eighty acres of fine land, and then sold it and located in Cushing. He settled in Payne County in 1895, and in 1901 came to Cushing. It was then the old town of Cushing, and when the new town was organized in 1902 he continued in the old town. He has become a prominent citizen, and is actively interested in public affairs. Politically Mr. Walker is a Republican. He is a member of Cushing Post Number 54, Grand Army of the Republic.
Mr. Walker married, in Des Moines, Iowa, Letitia, daughter of Abijah and Mary Hartley, natives of Ohio and early settlers of Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Walker have eight children, namely: James and Edwin, of Payne County; Jessie; Mary, wife of Levi Pearson, of Kansas City, Kansas; Mabel, wife of John Service, of Supply, Oklahoma; Winfield, of Cushing; Benjamin A., of Supply, Oklahoma; and Letitia E., wife of L. Heavner, of Payne County.
THOMAS E. MILLER
A prominent real estate dealer of Cushing, was born near Columbus, Ohio, December 16, 1842. He is a son of John and Mary (Harper) Miller, both natives of Pennsylvania, who moved to Piqua, Ohio, in an early day, and settled on a farm. In 1848 they removed to Indiana, later to Knox County, Illinois, and thence to Iowa. In 1855 they settled in Gentry County, Missouri, and in 1861 Mr. Miller became a member of the First State Militia, under Colonel Keiner; he served six months and was then mustered out. Later he joined Company F of the Thirty-third Missouri Infantry, and served in the Sixteenth Army Corps under the immediate command of General A. J. Smith, being with him when he was attached to General Banks' army. He took part in the Red River expedition and participated in all the engagements in which General Smith's division took part. He was General Smith's orderly on Banks' Raid, and then was orderly for General Thomas, being attached to his division. When General Price made his last raid through Missouri and Kansas Mr. Miller was there. He was mustered out at St. Louis in 1865, and then moved with his family to Iowa, where he resided until 1869. In that year he removed to Chanute, Kansas, one year later to Wichita and afterward to Republic County, where he died in 1883.
Mr. Miller served through the war with distinction and without being wounded. His wife died in 1890, at the age of ninety-two years. They were parents of five children, of whom three survive, namely: T. E.; Jacob H., of Alton, Oklahoma; and Elizabeth, widow of George Ireland, of Smith's Center, Oklahoma. By her former marriage to Job Williams, Mrs. Miller had five children, of whom two lived to maturity, namely: David, deceased, formerly of Warren County, Iowa, and Job. The latter went overland to California with a team of four oxen in 1858, and died in Sacramento in 1861.
Thomas E. Miller received his education mostly in Gentry County, Missouri, though he had small opportunity to acquire learning. At the age of eighteen years, on July 7, 1862, he joined Company G of the Eighteenth Iowa Infantry, and belonged to the First Brigade of the Second Division, commanded by Generals Schofield and Phil Sheridan. He was at the battle of Newtonia, Missouri, September 27, 1862, at Fayetteville, Arkansas, on October 27, and arrived at Springfield, Missouri, November 15, after a march of seven hundred miles accomplished in twenty-five days. On January 8, 1863, at Springfield, they fought General Marmaduke from ten in the morning until late in the evening. The next engagement took place at Cash River, Missouri, in 1863, and later, in October, there were engagements at Fayetteville and Cross Hollows, Arkansas. On October 27 they drove Joe Shelby across the river at Clarksville, Arkansas, and on the 31st day of that month landed at Fort Smith. They remained in Fort Smith until March 22, 1864, when the Third Division and Seventh Army Corps moved to Camden, Arkansas, under General Steele. During this campaign the regiment took part in the battle of Prairie d' Eau on April 12, on the 13th was at Moscow, on the 18th at Poison Springs and on April 30 they were at Jenkins Ferry. During these engagements the Union army lost twenty-five hundred men, and when they returned to Fort Smith on May 15 they subsisted most of the time on half rations. On July 6, 1865, they went to Little Rock, to be mustered out, and remained there until July 21, when they were sent to Davenport, Iowa, where the final arrangements were made, and they were paid on August 5, 1865. This regiment had covered a distance of four thousand, one hundred and sixty miles, and of the original twelve hundred and thirty-five, but four hundred returned, and of these only eight of the original officers.
At the close of the war Mr. Miller returned to Warren County, Iowa, where he had enlisted, and there married and remained until 1869, when he moved to Neosho County, Kansas. He carried on farming in different parts of that state until 1883, and then engaged in real estate business. He has since followed this business, and on April 22, 1889, he came to Oklahoma and first located in Stillwater. In 1900 he removed to Bristow, and in 1905 he located in Ripley, Payne County. On September 12, 1905, Mr. Miller came to Cushing, where he has since remained.
Mr. Miller platted the town of Stillwater while living in Kansas and assisted in the organization of the town, locating it one-half mile from the original site chosen. He is one of the pioneers of Payne County, and is looked upon with great admiration and esteem all over the region. He has done much to build up the commerce and industries of the community, and has met with success in his undertakings. Politically he is a Republican. He has taken an active interest in securing pensions for soldiers' widows, and is one of the best-known pension agents in Payne County. He is a member of Cushing Post Number 54, Grand Army of the Republic.
Few men now living in Oklahoma have seen more of the Indians throughout Kansas and adjoining states than Mr. Miller; his first acquaintance with them was in 1870. When about twenty-five miles west of Wichita, in company with several others, he ran into two hundred Osage Indians on a buffalo hunt. Both Indians and white men hunted together. He fought at the head of Mulberry River. There were only nine white men, and they spent nine days in a stockade, when the Indians retreated. His next encounter was south of Anthony, Kansas, when Mr. Miller and five others were buffalo hunting, and they were attacked by two hundred and twenty-five Indians, Chians and Arapahos, under George Bent, the chief of the former; the Indians got the better of the white men, and took from them two thousands pounds of buffalo meat, as well as all the other provisions they possessed and also a pair of mules worth five hundred dollars. During 1876 an outfit owned by Mr. Miller, with fourteen men and twenty-four wagons, starting from Sweetwater, Texas, were surrounded sometimes as many as five or six times a day by the Apaches. Quite an amount of fighting occurred, and Mr. Miller kept his wagons close together. From November 18, 1876, until March 18, 1877, he slept in a house but one night. For a period of some six years Mr. Miller was engaged in the transportation business, and frequently his family did not hear from him for weeks at a time. He has passed many nights alone on the prairie, hundreds of miles from home, with but one bullet in his gun, and on one occasion that refused to fire, surrounded by thousands of wolves and buffalo. His wife also became a typical frontier woman, and frequently assisted her husband in his experience with handling cattle or wild animals, and she has frequently ventured where many men would hesitate to go. They have earned their present comforts and luxuries by undergoing all the dangers and rigors of pioneer existence, and appreciate their present position accordingly.
After the war Mr. Miller married Margaret E. Fogle, in Warren County, Iowa, and of the union the following children are living: U. S., of Cushing; Ida A., wife of Louis Keller, of Iowa; Minnie, wife of H. Teters, of Ralston, Oklahoma; and Lizzie May, of Iowa. Mrs. Miller died on December 29, 1909, and was buried at Stillwater, where sleep the remains of her father, two sisters, two daughters and two grandchildren.
DR. LAWRENCE B. HAY
The oldest physician and one of the oldest citizens of Cushing, was born November 24, 1840, in Jefferson County, Indiana, a son of Thomas and Sarah (Maiden) Hay, natives respectively of Glasgow, Scotland, and of North Carolina. The father of Thomas, Robert Hay, came to American when a young man, landing in Philadelphia; he crossed the Allegheny Mountains on pack mules into Kentucky in 1810. and after spending some time in that state crossed to what is now Clark County. Indiana, then a wilderness. He improved his farm, and moved several times. After his father's death, in Indiana, Thomas Hay moved to Henry County, Illinois, in 1854 and went into the wilderness again. At that time the first road of the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad was being built, and Colonel Phillips was the first conductor to take a train over the road. Mr. Hay purchased a farm in Henry County, and still owned it at the time of his death. He paid ten dollars an acre for eighty acres of improved land, and then purchased unimproved land for five dollars an acre, which is now worth one hundred and fifty dollars an acre. They had to go forty miles to mill, which was situated on Rock River. They suffered the hardships peculiar to pioneer life. He died in September, 1885, and his wife survived him two days. They reared a family of nine children, as follows: Robert, deceased, whose family is scattered partly in Illinois; William, deceased, whose family resides in Colorado Springs; John, a resident of Muncie, Indiana; Jane, deceased, wife of Henry Giles, who left two children, Robert and Annie; Francis W., of Illinois; George, deceased, whose family lives in Oklahoma and Kansas; Thomas, deceased, whose family lives in Cushing, Oklahoma; L. B., and Margaret, widow of D. J. Patterson, of Annawan, Illinois.
The boyhood of L. B. Hay was spent on his father's farm, and at the age of sixteen years he began the study of medicine under a preceptor, at the same time working in a drug store. When twenty-eight years of age he moved to southern Iowa and began practicing his profession. In 1869 he removed to Kansas and settled at Lake Sylvia; later he removed with his practice and drug business to Concordia, the county seat, where he lived for several years. On April 22, 1889, Dr. Hay came to Oklahoma territory, and was embarked on the fifth train occupied by home seekers stopping at Guthrie. He had two carloads of drugs, sundries and fixtures when he disembarked. The city was well crowded at his arrival, and he purchased a grocery store in order to have a place for his business. He remained in Guthrie and practiced medicine until 1891, when new country was opened, and on September 22 he came to what is now Cushing, though at the time the town site was on government land. He first opened his drug store on a farm near the old town of Cushing, and when the new town was opened he erected a two-story stone building, in 1902. He practiced his profession and sold drugs from this place until 1902, when he sold his drug business and retired from practice. For some years after he settled in Cushing he had the only drug business in the region, and white people were then widely scattered, a family on every quarter-section of land. There were in the town only L. K. McGovern, who had a small store close to town; Mrs. Fox; Sam Neighbors, a liveryman; Mrs. Mozier, who conducted a restaurant; and W. S. Hull, who ran a small store in a half dugout. In 1902 the new town of Cushing was laid out, and it now contains fifteen hundred people, with three banks, four cotton gins and a cotton and oil mill, besides numerous other business enterprises, all of which Dr. Hay has witnessed from their foundation.
In the early days of his residence in Cushing it was headquarters for the Dotton Doolan gang of outlaws and desperadoes; he became acquainted with most of them, and when any of them were sick the doctor was called upon for prescriptions and drugs. However, he generally managed to keep on good terms with them, and avoided trouble which might have resulted seriously. He might well feel timid about treating them, as they often told him they wanted no "foolishness," meaning it would not be well for him to give any of them medicine which might rid the world of their depredations. They lived in the region about two years and then they were worsted in a fierce battle, and Tilson Jack was shot in the foot at Ingalls; he was attended by a Dr. Scott and the prescriptions were filled by Dr. Hay. Often a masked man would arrive at midnight, present the prescription and cash to cover, and upon receiving it immediately ride off without a word.
Although Dr. Hay has no family ties, he takes as great an interest in the success and development of the country as any man in the community. He is one of the most successful farmers of Payne County, and owns six hundred and forty acres of fine land, besides having interest in other lands. He was early identified with the business interests of Cushing from the buying of the First National Bank, and he is one of the leading citizens of the city. Dr. Hay is a self-made man, and has always possessed great enterprise and business judgment. He has been a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons since 1861, and is affiliated with Cushing Lodge, Number 169, of which he is a charter member. Politically he is a Republican, and he cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln, in 1860.
Back to Page 15
Back to Biographies