Oklahoma Genealogy Trails    
    A Proud Member of the Genealogy Trails Group
 

Oklahoma


The History of Oklahoma Biographies Vol. II
by Luther B. Hill
Page 17

CHARLES C. SUMAN

Proprietor of the Suman and Sons drug store, established in old Cushing in 1901 by Jacob Suman and his son, Charles C., was born on February 12, 1874. Jacob Suman came to Oklahoma with his family in May, 1891, having in 1890 purchased unimproved property consisting of one hundred and sixty acres of land three miles northeast of Cushing. He came from Jackson County, Kansas, as far as Guthrie by rail, from Guthrie to Cushing driving his own team and other hired teams, and the trip of forty-five miles required four days, with four teams. The so-called roads were almost impassable, the spring was a very wet one, and frequently there was no bridge across a stream, which necessitated hitching two or three teams to one wagon to get through some of the quagmires encountered. On their arrival they lived until November in a tent twelve by fourteen feet, and frequently slept out of doors when the weather permitted. The first work done was to fence a portion of the land, and the posts had to be hauled a distance of ten miles. Also, they raised the first year a large crop of kaffir corn on sod land. The first house was built from lumber hauled forty-five miles, from Guthrie; Charles did a great deal of this hauling, and frequently found it necessary to unload and carry the entire load by hand to the top of a hill, at the foot of which he had started his team, and was obliged to repeat the performance several times in one trip. This was the first frame building erected in that section of the country. The nearest store belonged to Berry McGuffin, who carried the necessities of life, though a Mr. Brown owned a small store one mile east of Cushing. There were then no mills in the country, churches and school houses were very few and far apart, and the present town of Cushing did not exist. The government had set aside eighty acres for a town site, on which the old town of Cushing was located, but owing to the method of disposing of town site property after it was purchased from the government, very few of the lots had a clear title, and in 1902 the new town of Cushing was laid out. Then most of the business enterprises of the old town moved to the new site. Jacob Suman continued to live on his farm and make improvements until 1901, and then sold it, after which he went into partnership with his son and purchased the drug business of Dr. L. B. Hay, the pioneer druggist of Cushing.
Jacob Suman was a native of Frederick County, Maryland, and at the age of ten years moved with his father, George Suman, to Darke County, Ohio, from which county, at the age of nineteen, he joined Company C, of the Eighty-eighth Ohio Infantry, and served until the close of the war; he was mustered out at Camp Chase, and after the close of hostilities moved to Platt County, Missouri. In 1869 he married Mary A., daughter of George and Nancy (Morelock) Bowman, and they became parents of eight children, four of whom survive, namely: Charles C.; Nannie, wife of Charles G. Holmsten, of Arkansas City, Kansas; Belle, wife of John W. Walter, of Lenox, Iowa; and Mattie, of Cushing, Oklahoma. Mr. Suman died on May 4, 1908. He took quite an active interest in political affairs, and was a staunch Republican. He was a member of Cushing Lodge Number 130, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the lodge now being Number 277.

Charles C. Suman began his education in the schools of Soldier, Kansas, and later spent a year at Campbell University, of Holton, Kansas. He afterward taught school several years and attended the Central Normal at Great Bend, Kansas. from which he graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Science. In 1901 he graduated from the Oklahoma University as pharmaceutical chemist, and then spent two years in the employ of Dr. Hay, of Cushing. Then in company with his father he purchased the business. Although the father was not a druggist he had previously conducted a grocery store at Soldier, Kansas. After the death of his father Charles C. Suman assumed full control of the business, the- father's interest being taken by his widow.

Mr. Suman has been very successful, and has one of the finest and best appearing drug stores of the county; he carries a mammoth stock, and carries on the business in accordance with up-to-date methods and ideas. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons Number 277, of Cushing, and has served as Master three out of five years. He has taken the Scottish Rite degree at Guthrie. He has never held any political office, but like his father takes an active interest in public affairs. He is a Republican in his views.

Mr. Suman married (first) November 4, 1904, Susie, daughter of H. S. and Jane Griffith, who died in 1905, leaving one daughter, Susie. He married (second) August 23, 1906, Daisy B., daughter of J. S. and Anna W. (Davis) Patterson, of Fayetteville, Arkansas. Mrs. Suman is a graduate of the State University at Fayetteville and was professor of mathematics at Galloway College of Searcy, Arkansas. Her father served in the Confederate army during the war of the rebellion.


D. FRANK REDD, M. A.

A man of superior talents and scholarly attainments, D. Frank Redd, M. A., of Tahlequah, occupies a conspicuous place among the leading educators of Cherokee County, as president of the Northeastern Normal School of Oklahoma, being especially influential in advancing the educational interests of the new state. Broad and progressive in his views, devoting his entire time and attention to his professional labors, he has met with eminent success. He was for many years connected with the public school work of Indiana, while there winning a name and fame that preceded him to his new field of action in the southwest, his services here having been sought and rendered in various responsible positions. A native of Ohio, he was born December 14, 1861, in Holmes County, but was brought up and educated in Indiana, where his father, Adam Redd, was for many years engaged in agricultural pursuits.

Adam Redd was born in 1815, in Washington County, Pennsylvania, of German ancestry, the name in the Fatherland having been spelled "Roth." He moved to Holmes County, Ohio, in early manhood, and a few years later settled in Plymouth, Indiana, where he continued in his independent occupation until his death in 1889. He married Isabel Quivey, a daughter of James Quivey, a Scotchman by birth and a carder by occupation. She survived him nearly a score of years, passing away in May, 1908, aged four score and four years.

The youngest of a family of eight children, D. Frank Redd was educated in Ohio, receiving his diploma from the Ashland High School and being graduated with the degree of Master of Arts from Ashland College. Beginning his professional career in a country school, he subsequently passed through the various grades of the profession, teaching in village, town and city, finally becoming superintendent of the schools of Plymouth, Indiana, and the active head of the science department. Having successfully filled those positions for thirteen consecutive years, Mr. Redd came to Oklahoma, and the practical and successful manner in which he has performed his professional duties have proved him to be an educator of advanced ideas, with sufficient force and brain power to put them into effect. On coming here in 1904, he accepted the principalship of the Muskogee High School, and the following year was appointed by the Secretary of the Interior as supervisor of the schools of the Cherokee Nation.
While in Indiana Mr. Redd, as a member of the Northern Indiana Teachers' Association, was a great aid in advancing the educational work of that part of the state, and especially in the Indiana Science Teachers' Association did he find a warm welcome, when, having finished a course of post graduate work at the Northern Indiana Normal School, he there applied for membership. Coming to this state, Mr. Redd became a member of the Oklahoma Science Teachers' Association, and has ever since conducted normal institutes during the summer seasons. The fact of his ready recognition by the Oklahoma school men as an educator of ability goes far towards placing him at the head of his profession and among those whose influence for good among the youthful generations of to-day will be enduring.

As supervisor of the Cherokee Nation Mr. Redd had under his control all the country schools, many of which he established, the boarding schools, the higher institutions of learning, and the Orphans' Home. He had the satisfaction and pleasure of witnessing a rapidly growing interest in the subject of education by the Indian; saw the schools fill with children of all ages; and the entire sphere of intellectual development respond to the government's efforts to prepare the young Cherokee for responsible citizenship. As president of the Northeastern Normal School of Oklahoma he has even a greater responsibility, being a trainer of the teachers of the men and women of the future, thereby having in his power to a great extent the destiny of successors in authority in the commonwealth of Oklahoma.

In Plymouth, Indiana, August 20, 1893, Mr. Redd was united in marriage with Miss Lulu Jackson, a daughter of William and Ella Jackson, a family of prominence in the "Hoosier State." Mrs. Redd, a talented musician, was graduated from the Conservatory of Music at Albion, Michigan, and was afterwards a teacher of music for some time. Two children have been born of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Redd, namely; Helen and Russell. Fraternally Mr. Redd is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and of the Knights of Pythias. Religiously he and his family are Methodists. He has erected a fine home in the Academy addition to Tahlequah, an addition which he, with Professor Pack, platted and owned, and which is being built up by people with literary tastes and tendencies.


DR. GEORGE A. MCBRIDE

A leading physician and surgeon of Fort Gibson, was born in Charleston, Missouri, August 4, 1865, a son of W. D. and Mattie M. (Hagood) McBride, natives of Tennessee and north western Arkansas, respectively. The McBride family originally emigrated from Scotland, settling first in Tennessee. W. D. McBride served in the Confederate army, in the Western Department, under Captain Guthrie, of Charleston, Missouri. He took part in many minor engagements and served under General Jeff Thompson, of southern fame. Mr. McBride removed to Washington County, Arkansas, in 1868, and in September, 1892, located in the Territory. He built the second residence in what is now Fort Gibson, which is still standing. He took a prominent part in affairs, served some time as postmaster of Fort Gibson, also filled the office of notary public for six or eight years, as well as several other offices. He married a daughter of Lewis Hagood, Mattie M., in 1862, of Cane Hill, Arkansas. They are the parents of four children now living, namely: E. C., of the Choctaw Nation; George A.; Mamie, wife of Connie Dogle, of Sedalia, Missouri; and Voldine, of Fort Gibson. Mr. and Mrs. McBride are both members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He belongs to Cane Hill Lodge Number 57, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of Cane Hill, Arkansas, and politically is a Democrat.

Dr. McBride was educated at Cane Hill College, from which he graduated in 1884, at the age of nineteen years. He entered the medical department of the Vanderbilt School of Nashville, Tennessee, and graduated from the medical department of the University of Arkansas in 1889. He took postgraduate courses at the New York Polyclinic in 1891 and 1898 and in 1908 took a similar course at Tulane Polyclinic in New Orleans. He located at Fort Gibson in 1889, and in point of practice is the second oldest doctor in the city. At first he covered a territory reaching from twenty to twenty-five miles around the city. He was many times called upon by the so-called "bad men" or outlaws of earlier times. He himself was never molested save once one mile east of Fall City, when he was held up, but among the crowd was one man who had been a patient of his at one time, suffering from pneumonia, and upon finding the identity of their victim he ordered the others to move on, which they did. Dr. McBride has served as president of Indian Territory Medical Association through the year of 1898. He belongs now to the County and State Medical Associations, also to the American Medical Association. He has a private hospital, the only institution of the kind in the city.

Dr. McBride stands well among his fellow citizens, by whom he is universally esteemed. He is president of the Commercial Club of Fort Gibson, which includes merchants and other business men. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Fort Gibson Lodge Number 126. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. Politically he is a Democrat, being public-spirited to a remarkable degree, and much interested in all pertaining to the development of the county and state. He has just erected one of the finest residences in the city, on Garrison Hill, near the State Blind School, containing all modern conveniences and improvements. The architecture of the building is colonial, and the site commands a view of Fort Gibson and the surrounding country, also a view of Muskogee, some eight miles to the westward, and the Grand River, a beautiful stream, with many small islands and coves in sight.

February 10, 1887, Dr. McBride married Mary Norman, a native of the Cherokee tribe, a graduate of the Cherokee National Female Seminary, at Tahlequah. Her parents, C. W. and M. J. (Clingan) Norman, emigrated from Tennessee in 1880. Dr. and Mrs. McBride have no living children.


THOMAS J. CARLILE

Identified with the official life of northeastern Oklahoma as county clerk of Cherokee County, Thomas J. Carlile has been a prominent resident of the rural community of Tahlequah for many years, and holds high rank among the native born citizens of Oklahoma, his birth having occurred December 6, 1863, in the Choctaw nation, where his father, Thomas H. Carlile, lived for a time. His paternal grandfather, Thomas Carlile, who passed the larger part of his active life in California, died near Boonsboro, Arkansas, in 1880, aged seventy-five years. He was a white man, and to him and his wife five children were born, as follows: James, who died in Oregon; John, who died in Washington County, Arkansas; Thomas H., father of Thomas J.; Martha, who died in a comparatively few years after her marriage; and Stephen, a farmer and stock raiser, died at Fort Gibson, Oklahoma.

Thomas H. Carlile was born in 1832 in Boonsboro, Arkansas, and, although a man of but little literary education, was a skillful mechanic. As a soldier in the Confederate army, he was detailed as a blacksmith, in which capacity he rendered valuable service. He died in 1875, being murdered by robbers. He married Elizabeth Catron, a daughter of John Catron, who was of German ancestry, and married a one-fourth Cherokee woman. She survived him and married for her second husband Levi Keys, and is now a resident of Cookson, Oklahoma. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas H. Carlile, namely: Margaret, living at Cookson, married first George Spears, and married second J. T. Keys; Man-, deceased, married A. G. Cookson; John, of Parkhill, Oklahoma; Thomas J., the subject of this brief biographical review; William K., of Cookson; Josephine, wife of W. B. Ballew, of Cookson; Stephen F., of Parkhill; and Henry, residing at Cookson, near his mother.

Obtaining the rudiments of his education at Caney, where he practically grew to manhood, Thomas J. Carlile subsequently attended the Male Seminary in Tahlequah. Until attaining his majority he resided with his mother, but after his marriage established his home in the community in which his boyhood days were spent. He there began farming with a modest outfit, a pony team and a few cattle, and continued in that occupation for ten years or more. Removing in 1894 to Wauhillau, he was there engaged in mercantile pursuits for four years. Returning then to his first love, the farm, he resumed his work of a farmer and stock raiser, in his operations being fairly successful. Moving to Parkhill in 1903, "Mr. Carlile, whose family allotments were there taken, has since made that neighborhood his home. He was not interested in Indian politics as an office holder, but uniformly supported the o principles of the Downing party. He was appointed a census enumerator by Chief Mayes, but was not a candidate for any office until statehood. Running then for county clerk, Mr. Carlile won the nomination in the Democratic primaries against two competitors, was elected at the polls by a majority of one hundred and sixty-seven votes and started the records of the office with statehood, November 16, 1907.

On January 24, 1884, Mr. Carlile married Viana E. Johnson, a daughter of Cicero Johnson, a Cherokee, who married a white woman, Dovie Brown. Mr. and Mrs. Carlile are the parents of eight children, namely: Thomas H., stenographer for the County Judge of Cherokee County, married Claudie Sellers; John H., engaged in farming near Tahlequah, married May Dunn; Walter E.; Edward H.; Levi; Dewey; Clarence G.; and Homer E.

Mr. Carlile is a man of good business ability and a stockholder in the First State Bank of Tahlequah. Fraternally he is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and of the Order of the Eastern Star. Religiously he is a Methodist.


GEORGE B. DENISON

The venerable subject of this brief biographical sketch, George B. Denison, of Vinita, is a distinguished member of the Oklahoma bar, and has been active before the courts of the territories and of the new state as an able advocate, a wise counselor, and a safe and reliable citizen among the leading men of the commonwealth. By birth and training he is a son of the north, having been born, January 17, 1846, this city, now West Cleveland, Ohio. He comes of substantial New England stock, his grandfather, Dan Denison, Sr., and his father, Dan Denison, Jr., having been natives of Connecticut. The grandfather was born in or near Saybrook, Connecticut, the founder of the family to which he belonged having emigrated from England to the Massachusetts Bay Colony in early colonial times.

Dan Denison, Jr., born in Connecticut in 1810, was taken by his parents to the Western Reserve in 1821, the long and tedious journey through an almost interminable stretch of forest-covered land being taken in an ox wagon. The family located in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, where, soon after attaining his majority, Dan Denison, Jr., engaged in farming, continuing his agricultural labors until his death in 1863, but a short time after the demise of his father. He married Ursula Taylor, a daughter of Charles Taylor, formerly of Ballston, New York. She was born in Ohio City and died, in 1879, in Cleveland. Of the five children born to her and her husband, George B., of this sketch, is the sole survivor.

Brought up on a farm, George B. Denison obtained a limited knowledge of the three "R's" in the district school, never even being introduced to an English grammar until ready to prepare himself for the law, when he became his own instructor. His scholarly ambitions and diligence in study enabled him to acquire a practical acquaintance with many of the branches of law before he became of age. Keeping on with his studies another year, he then went to Kansas, and in Linn County, before Judge D. P. Lowe, was admitted to the bar. After practicing his profession there three years Mr. Denison returned to Cleveland, Ohio, and two years later, in 1874, went south, locating first in Memphis, Tennessee, from there going to Little Rock, Arkansas, a few months later. He spent a number of years in that place, acquiring a good reputation as an attorney. Going thence to Alabama, he practiced law four years in Birmingham, being actively identified with the courts of that state.

Coming to Oklahoma in 1891, Judge Denison, as he is affectionately called by his many friends, opened a law office at Muskogee, where he soon became associated with Messrs. Maxey and Davenport as senior member of the firm of Denison, Maxey & Davenport. This firm, which became recognized as one of the leading legal firms of the territory, existed until 1895, when Mr. Denison removed to his present home in Vinita. He has since been an important factor in trial of cases coming before all the courts of the territory and the new state. His scrupulous fidelity, added to his keen intellect and superior legal knowledge, has made him not only a successful lawyer, but has secured for him universal confidence and respect beyond that accorded to most men of his profession. While yet a youth, Judge Denison made a model of his father, who was a country man of high moral ideas and practice. He admired his father's virtues, and with a spirit of emulation took them home to himself, and has ever led a noble and upright lift.

Judge Denison married in Mound City, Kansas, in November, 1869, Mary Warner. She died in Little Rock, Arkansas, leaving no children. Politically a Democrat, the Judge has never held public office, devoting his time and energies to his profession to the exclusion of all things else, and has invariably impressed his personality upon his associates. Endowed with a manner genial and conciliating, the Judge has lived a life of earnest purpose, and has been a success as a practitioner, but has not hoarded up special wealth.


CHARLES BUFORD

A highly educated and successful attorney and business man of Checotah, is now serving in his first political office as commissioner of McIntosh County. He was born in Rock Island, Illinois, on the 9th of August, 1870, and is a son of Charles and Mary P. (Postlewait) Buford. The grandfather, Charles Buford, Sr., was born in Scott County, Kentucky, graduated from Yale in 1830, and, instead of establishing himself in eastern professional work, ventured to the frontier country of the Mississippi valley and located at Rock Island, Illinois. There he founded the Buford Plow Company (afterward known as the B. D. Buford Plow Company), and his son, Charles Buford, Jr., continued the business, both in connection with his father and alone, until his death in 1871. The latter (father of Charles Buford, of this sketch) was a practicing lawyer during his early manhood, but afterward became a member of the Buford Plow Company (now the Rock Island Plow Company). The widowed mother now resides in Checotah. While not taking any special interest in politics, the elder Mr. Buford was elected and served as the first Democratic police justice of Rock Island. Besides his widow, he left a son and a daughter: Harriet, who is now the wife of Jean Patricot, of Paris, France, and Charles, of this biography. The Buford family is of the patriot stock of the Old Dominion, Abram Buford, and the great-grandfather of Mr. Buford, being a native of Virginia and a colonel of state troops during the Revolutionary war, attached to Washington's staff. He also had the honor of being a member of that very exclusive pioneer of American patriotic orders known as the Society of Cincinnatus.

Charles Buford of this sketch received all but his professional education abroad; at Munich, Germany, and Feldkirch, Austria, and finally at the Royal College of Ravensburg, also in the former country. In 1891 he returned to the United States and in 1893 graduated from the Kent College of Law, Chicago, at once settling in Rock Island for the practice of his profession. He was thus engaged with gratifying success until November, 1901, when he located at Checotah. Since that time he has taken the deepest and most active interest in the development of his adopted city, county and state, his activities having embraced both law, politics and business. The first year of his residence was largely devoted to banking matters as assistant cashier in the Citizens' Bank (now the Commercial). In connection with his practice, he then entered the real estate field and is now one of the best known men in that line. He had already become somewhat active as a Democrat and had served as secretary of the county election board, when on September 20, 1909, he was appointed county commissioner to succeed G. S. Crane, deceased. In the prompt and judicious performance of these official duties he is materially adding to his former substantial reputation for broad ability in practical affairs.


CARTER D. MARKHAM

The proprietor of the Tahlequah Lumber Company, is a native son of Oklahoma, having been born in Mayes County, on Markham's Prairie, May 9, 1845. His father was Leroy Markham, who was born in Kentucky in 1809, and he married Eliza West. Leroy Markham grew to manhood in the state of Tennessee, from which he immigrated to the Cherokee country about 1835. He was neither "an old settler" nor an "emigrant," but came with some of the tribe and a few years later married one of their women and was adopted as a citizen.

He located on the Grand River, near where Pryor Creek now stands, and there developed and improved a farm which was afterward allotted to his grandson and great-grandson. He had learned the trade of blacksmith in Tennessee, and was early appointed a public blacksmith, receiving his pay from the public funds of the Cherokees. He had his shop in his own home, and the money he earned in this way gave him his start in life. He became the owner of a few slaves, and extended his industries to include salt-making and stock raising, but at the breaking out of the Civil war he removed his family south into the Choctaw Nation, to be nearer the help of the Confederates during the social confusion of the time. He was in sympathy with the new government at Richmond, and sent his sons to the ranks of the Confederate army. At the close of the war he returned to his home on the Grand River, and there died in 1866, his wife having passed away in 1860. They were married in 1841, and their children were: Peter, who died in 1879, leaving a family in the home neighborhood; Carter D.; James B., who passed away in 1898 and left children near the old home; John, who died in California in 1893, but left a family of six sons in the Canadian District of the Cherokee Nation; and Ruth, who married Dr. Adair, and passed away in 1884.

Carter D. Markham lived at home until ho went to Tahlequah in 1897, having previously left it only during the period of his service in the Confederate army. He carried on farming and also sold goods on the farm, having received some commercial training in the public schools he attended, thus being able to do a good local business. He entered Company D of the Cherokee regiment of cavalry under Colonel Stand Watie, Cooper's Brigade, and served in the Trans-Mississippi Department, taking part in the engagements at Fort Wayne, Cabin Creek and Wolf Creek; he was disabled in the Choctaw country when the Confederacy collapsed.

While engaged in the mercantile business at Markham's Prairie, Mr. Markham served two years as postmaster. Desiring to be located near better school facilities and at the same time in a community affording better mercantile facilities, he moved his family and interests to the Cherokee capital in September, 1897, and soon afterward opened the Tahlequah Lumber Company's yard. He has also dealt in city real estate, having bought and sold a good deal of property and erected some of the business buildings. He is a stockholder in the Oklahoma State Bank of Tahlequah, and owns one of the most attractive and comfortable residences in the city.

During the Cherokee regime Mr. Markham was drawn into political affairs, and served two years as district judge. He belonged to the political party founded by Chief Downing, and became a Democrat when United States politics became an issue among the Cherokees. He has been a member of the Tahlequah Common Council, and in that capacity has often voiced his sentiments with regard to urban matters in a public capacity.

Mr. Markham married (first) in 1871, Mary, daughter of John A. Huffacre, who died in 1882, leaving children as follows: Eliza, wife of John T. Cavalier, of Choteau, Oklahoma, and Walter, a farmer on Grand River, at the old Markham home. Her father, John A. Huffacre, was a German, and married a Cherokee wife. Mr. Markham married (second) in 1885, Eliza Matthews, a Cherokee woman, and the issue of this marriage are: Fortner, of the Tahlequah Lumber Company; Beatrice; DeWitt; Hogan and Earl, twins; and Lucile.


JAMES P. THOMPSON

One of the leading citizens and business men of Tahlequah, was elected the first treasurer of Cherokee County and is the present incumbent of that office. He had previously held office in the Cherokee government, and in 1907 was successful in the Democratic primaries against three competitors for the nomination and was elected in September to the office of treasurer by a majority of sixty-nine.
He was born in Angelina County, Texas, March 18, 1877, being a part-blood Cherokee. His grandfather, Matthew Thompson, was a native of Georgia and died in military prison during the Civil war. His wife, Laura Denman, was the mother of two children, Dr. Jim Allen Thompson and Rev. G. T. Thompson, the latter of Muskogee. After the death of her first husband she married a Mr. Fite, and one of their children is a physician of Tahlequah.

Dr. Jim Allen Thompson, who was a Cherokee of one thirty-second degree, was born in the Cherokee country of Georgia in 1851, was educated for the profession of medicine, and first began practice in Texas, and in 1882 moved to Tahlequah, where he was a prominent citizen until his death in 1891. He married, at Homer, Texas, Miss Frances Treadwell, daughter of Stephen Treadwell. She died in 1889, her children being Dr. Claud Thompson, of Muskogee, and James P.

James P. Thompson, being fourteen years old at the death of his father, then became the ward of the Cherokee Orphan Asylum and came to manhood in that institution. He received a good education. From the age of eighteen he was a clerk in Tahlequah, and then entered the employ of the United States government as a revenue inspector, his duties being to detect violations of the timber laws and grazing rules and the enforcing of the general revenue laws. After three years in that work the statehood movement abolished this office, and he then entered county politics. He has been interested in farming for several years, and his allotment was taken near the west limits of the city. His home on "Hill Crest" is one of the sightliest and most comfortable residences in the city, and its situation overlooks the city and the country in all directions. It is a two-story house, of quaint architecture, the interior finish being of selected wood and with mantels of fancy brick.

January 6, 1900, Mr. Thompson married, at Maysville, Arkansas, Miss Maggie Mayes. Her father was William P. Mayes and her uncle, Chief Joel Mayes, of the Cherokees. She was born in the nation in 1879 and was educated in the Tahlequah Female Seminary. They have two children, Mayes and Claud.


ROBERT W. FOSTER

Register of deeds of Cherokee County and the first to hold that office, has been a resident of Tahlequah for twenty years and has been closely associated with the men and affairs of this vicinity. He was born in Talbot County, Georgia, April 21, 1856.

His grandfather was Robert Foster, a Virginian and of Irish stock, who married Peggie Boyd, who was born on the Atlantic while the Boyd family were immigrating to the United States. There were seven sons and three daughters in their family.

Samuel Foster, the fifth of these seven sons, and the father of R. W. Foster, is now a venerable man of eighty-five, a resident of Woodland, Georgia, and was born in Virginia in 1824. He spent his youth on a small plantation. As a citizen he has spent a life of industry, was loyal to the south in rebellion, has always been a member of the Democratic party, and is identified with the Methodist denomination. He married Nancy J. Blanton, daughter of William and Matilda (Ware) Blanton, of pioneer Georgia families. She died in 1890.

Robert W. Foster was reared in the country, and "worked all the year and went to school in the fall." He followed farming as long as he remained in his native state, and on coming to the Cherokee country located on the Arkansas river in the Canadian district, but after making one crop moved to Tahlequah, and has since been a resident of the old capital town. He has been connected with different lines of industry and business, and when the constitution bounded Cherokee County and set a date for the organization of a county government he was a strong candidate for official position. He defeated his one competitor in the primaries and was elected to the office of register of deeds in September, 1907. He still conducts his farming property. He is a Blue Lodge Mason and a member of the Christian Science church.

Mr. Foster married, in his native state on December 19, 1879, Miss Ella Boswell, who died two years later. Mr. Foster afterward married Mary M. Collins. Her father, Parker Collins, was a Cherokee and a native of Georgia. By this marriage there are four children.


WALTER H. TALLEY

He is district clerk of Cherokee County, having been elected to that office in September, 1907. He was the unanimous choice of the Democratic party in its primary, and at the election he was one hundred and forty-six votes ahead of his competitor. After the election he moved from his farm to Tahlequah and took charge of the federal court records, with a mass of unfinished business, which were the inheritance of this office from the old regime.

Mr. Talley was born near Chattanooga, Tennessee, July 2, 1875. His grandfather was Berry Talley, a Georgian, who moved into Tennessee and spent his life on a farm near Chattanooga, where he died in 1908, aged eighty-four. His children were: Ten, a resident of Chattanooga; Nancy Biggs, of Arkansas; Mary McDowell, of Chattanooga; Kizzie; one who lost his life in the Confederate cause; John H.; Bud, of Cane Hill, Arkansas; Maggie, of Chattanooga; and Thomas, also of Chattanooga.

John H. Talley, the father, was born on the homestead near Chattanooga in 1852, and married Lucy Saunders, a daughter of Henry Saunders. They took up their residence in the Flint district of the Cherokee Nation, near where the town of Stillwell has since grown up, but left there in 1879 and located near Bentonville, Arkansas. After twelve years' residence there they returned to the Cherokee country, and the father has since been engaged in farming near Tahlequah. He and his wife had the following children: Walter H.; William; Lizzie; Ida, who married J. C. Crowder; Robert, deceased: Alice, wife of Milo Brady; Mrs. Maud Edmonson; Ada; and Dewey.

Owing to the circumstances of his youth Walter H. Talley reached manhood with only a country school education, and then engaged in farming, which was his successful vocation until he was returned by the votes of the county to his present office. He owns his farm property near Hulbert which came with the allotment, and cultivates this with the aid of a tenant. He is also a director of the First State Bank of Tahlequah, and owns his home in Tahlequah. He is a Mason and an Odd Fellow.

He married August 23, 1896, Miss Mary J. Wood, whose father is a Cherokee. Her parents, Frank and Rose A. (Green) Wood, had the following children besides Mrs. Talley: Boudinot; Addie; Minnie; Alice, wife of Blake Parris; Cherry, wife of Thomas Johnson; Stella; Lizzie; Owen; and Ellen. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Talley are: Delia, Ida, Jesse Bryan and Lena.


SAMUEL SHARP

HE IS of the firm of Sharp Brothers, dry goods merchants of Tahlequah, ranks among the foremost business men of the capital, and is a leader in the spirit of progress which has seized the city since the advent of statehood. He was born in Greenfield, Tennessee, May 4, 1868, and was inured to the work of the farm, as his father owned a farm near town, where he reared his children. The Sharp Brothers are sons of James H. and Louisa (Coats) Sharp, and grandsons of Joseph Sharp, who came from North Carolina, his native state, and passed the remainder of his life in Tennessee. James H. Sharp became a carpenter, and was engaged in contract work around Greenfield, as one of the early builders of that locality. Though he never was willing to fill a public office, he was a factor in the local affairs of the Democratic party. James Sharp died in 1888, fifty-four years of age, and his widow still resides in Greenfield, being now seventy-six years of age. Their children were: Frances, wife of W. E. Galey, of Greenfield; Allen, who lives also in that town; Jane, the wife of D. H. Swindell, of Greenfield; Samuel and Edward, of Tahlequah; and Robert, still living near Greenfield.

After attending the schools of his native city, Samuel Sharp spent three years in higher institutions, the Farmington Institute and the West Kentucky College at Mayfield. After leaving college he taught two terms in a country school, and then entered upon commercial life as clerk for Allen and Lynn, of Greenfield, with whom he spent eight years; he left this concern for a smaller one, in which ho himself had an interest, and there remained a year. He then removed to Oklahoma, locating first at Caddo, where he remained from February, 1901 to 1904, and was employed first by Mr. Moon, and then by Monroe, Dobson & Company, and the remainder of his residence he spent as traveling salesman for Hecht Brothers, St. Louis clothiers. Upon leaving Caddo, Mr. Sharp took a position in the dress goods department of Mayes' Mercantile Company, of Pryor Creek, and there remained until the time of his marriage, when he removed to Tahlequah and took a position in the same department of the house of J. W. Stapler and Son, with whom he remained seven months. He then entered the employ of the Tahlequah Mercantile Company in a like position.

In September, 1905, Sharp Brothers first opened its doors for business, the firm consisting of Samuel and his brother Edward, the latter born in 1870, reared in the same manner as his brother, and having previously taught school. Edward Sharp's interests in Tahlequah are identical with those of his brother; he is unmarried. Besides his mercantile interests Samuel Sharp is a member of the Tahlequah City Council from the Fourth Ward, and is stockholder in the First State Bank, his brother Edward being one of the directors. He is one of the most popular men in the capital, and to know him is to appreciate his sterling qualities, and his agreeable manner and kindly disposition.

Mr. Sharp married, July 12, 1904, Jenn Crutsinger, a daughter of an old employee of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway; she is of French and Irish lineage, born in Chamois, Missouri, but partly reared in Muskogee, Oklahoma, whither her parents came in the early days of the road by which the father was employed. They have one son, Samuel Sharp, Jr.


LLOYD R. JORDAN

An enterprising merchant and prosperous farmer of Eufaula, Lloyd R. Jordan has also creditably served as district clerk of McIntosh County since his election to that office by the Democrats in 1907. He is an intelligent and educated Kentuckian, has resided within the present county for a dozen years, was a warm advocate of statehood long before it arrived, and is of the original staff of officials who ushered in the commonwealth as a member of the Sisterhood.

Mr. Jordan was born in Kentucky in 1857, son of James and Mary (Grady) Jordan, his father having been born in that state in 1809. The paternal grandfather, Adam Jordan, was a native of Ireland who emigrated from that country as a young man and settled in what is now Davis County. Both he and his wife were natives of the same town and came to Kentucky about the same time, locating near the same locality about 1790. The Jordans were related to the Glenns, who built one of the first forts in Kentucky at Vienna, near the present town of Calhoun, county seat of McLean County. Both the Jordans and the Gradys were in all respects sturdy representatives of the early frontier element of Kentucky. The father, James Jordan, was one of old-time school teachers and busied himself in the performance of his pedagogical duties until he was well advanced in years. He died in 1895, when eighty-six years of age, his wife having preceded him a quarter of a century. James Jordan has been twice married. He reared three sons of his first union -Adam, Andrew and Henry, who with their families, still reside in Kentucky. By his second wife he had five children, as follows: Belle and Alice, both deceased; Lloyd R., of this sketch; Suda, who died as the wife of George Saudefer, of Kentucky; and Leonard, who is a resident of McIntosh County. Mrs. Jordan herself was thrice married, her first husband being William Hughes of Morgan field, Kentucky, a lawyer who lived but a short time after his marriage, and her second, the Rev. John M. Cook, of Henderson, that state. Andrew, the son by the second marriage, is now deceased.

After receiving a thorough preliminary education in the country schools of Davis County, Kentucky, L. R. Jordan completed a course at the Commercial College, at Evansville, Indiana, and the Southwestern College at Carrollton, Kentucky. At the age of nineteen he became a general trader, and when twenty-four established a dry-goods and grocery business at Delaware, his native state. In 1884, when twenty-seven years of age, he was appointed deputy county assessor of McLean County, and in that capacity he really had active charge of the office for a number of years. In 1894, during Cleveland's last presidential administration, he was appointed postmaster at Delaware, and also at that time he was chosen deputy county clerk of Davis County, with headquarters at Delaware, and served in both offices with credit until 1897, when he migrated to what was then Indian territory (now McIntosh County, Oklahoma). At the time of his coming to this county he located on the farm which is still his homestead, and has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits and in teaching, as well as in official service, in the vicinity of Eufaula. As stated, his Democratic friends elected him district clerk in 1907, assuming the duties of the office in November of the same year. With one assistant, C. S. Whittow, a Creek citizen of Eufaula, he has performed the duties of his position with promptness and ability, still conducting both his farm and his store. When it is stated that Mr. Jordan is a lifelong Kentucky Democrat, enough has been said to indicate the type of his politics.

On September 12, 1901, Mr. Jordan was united in marriage with Miss P. A. McDonald, daughter of Frank and Louisa (Warmack) McDonald, both natives of Alabama. Mr. and Mrs. Jordan have become the parents of one child, James Ellis, born March 4, 1903. The latter is an earnest member of the Baptist church.


WILLIAM P. MAYES

A prominent citizen of Grove, was born December 25, 1856, in the Cherokee Nation. His father, Samuel Mayes, was a farmer and stockman, and died about the time of the Civil war. Both parents were natives of Georgia, and his mother came to the Indian Territory about 1836 with the Cherokees, then about ten years of age. They had besides William P. three daughters, namely: Charlotte, who married William Ballard, and lives in Oklahoma; Sarah, who married William England, and both are deceased; and Elmira, who married J. W. Gladney, who died about 1905. After the death of her husband Mrs. Mayes married, in 1862, Simon Snell, who was a captain in the Federal army, and died in May, 1878. Grandmother Snell still lives near Grove, Oklahoma, and is now eighty-three years old.

William P. Mayes received his education in the public schools of the territory, and afterward took up farming, which he followed for a number of years. From time to time he made investments in land, and now owns farm lands to a considerable extent, also considerable city property in Grove. For twelve years he has conducted a hotel in Grove. He served twelve years as interpreter in the Cherokee legislature, and served four years as member of the city council of Grove, Oklahoma. He is an earnest member of the Methodist church, of which he was trustee for several years, and was active in church work. He has over one hundred acres of fine orchard, and is the largest fruit grower in that part of the country; he also owns land in Old Mexico and also city property. He is a member of the Masonic order, and has a wide influence in the community, taking an active interest in public affairs.

Mr. Mayes married, August 16, 1877, Anna H. Gladney, born July 29, 1854, and they became parents of seven children, namely: Maggie, born August 22, 1878, married J. P. Thompson, of Tahlequah, treasurer of Cherokee County; Maud, born April 14, 1880, was educated at Tahlequah at the female seminary, also at Webb City, Missouri, and married William A. Stephens, who died in New Mexico; she is a teacher in the public schools, and is an artist of unusual ability, having taken an art course at Bartlesville, Oklahoma, and she is also a fine musician; Claude, born December 28, 1882, died April 26, 1899; Joel, born January 7, 1884, married Josie Bates, April 15, 1908; Lizzie, born October 31, 1885, married Frank Miller, a lumberman; Ridge, born September 22, 1888, educated at Stillwater, Oklahoma, and Little Rock, Arkansas, now resides in Grove, and he married, December 8, 1909, Hattie Bosse of Grove, Oklahoma; Hazel, born January 28, 1894. lives at home with her parents, attended school four years at Sacred Heart Institute, and in Vinita, Oklahoma, for the last three years and she is well advanced in both literature and music. The Hazel hotel, the best in Grove, also Hazel Street, was named after the daughter Hazel. Joel Mayes was educated at Webb City, Missouri, and became a sailor, spending four years in the United States Marine Service.


JOHN EDWARD WEST

Of Grove, County clerk of Delaware County, was born in Arkansas, July 6, 1876, and removed to Grove in, 1882. His father was born in Arkansas in 1856, was a farmer and died in 1898; his mother was also born in Arkansas in 1863, and now lives in Maysville, Arkansas. They had three sons and one daughter, as follows: John E.; Clifford, born in 1872, lives in Delaware County, Oklahoma; Floyd, born in 1895, lives in Maysville; and Alta, born in 1893, lives with her mother.

Mr. West was educated in the common schools and took a course in pharmacy, after which he worked six and one-half years as a druggist. He also taught school. He is a Democrat in politics and much interested in the welfare of the party. He has won many friends in his community, and is a man of considerable prominence in political circles. He was elected to the office of county clerk by three hundred and sixty-five majority out of one thousand four hundred, thus showing his popularity as a candidate. Before his election to office in 1907 he was a farmer. Mr. West married, in 1902, Myrtle Cook, of Gravelly, Arkansas, and they have two children, Mary, born in 1903, and Almeta, in 1907.


WILSON N. SMITH

County Judge of Delaware County, was born May 31, 1883, in Cherokee Nation, in what is now Muskogee County, and was educated at the male seminary at Tahlequah, then Indian Territory, but now Oklahoma, from which he graduated in 1904, having taken a regular academic course. He received his diploma in June, and afterwards attended a law school in Lebanon, Tennessee, graduating in January, 1907. He was admitted to the bar in March, and in November of the same year was elected County Judge. He takes great interest in the advancement of his people and native state, and took an active part in the movement for statehood. Mr. Smith taught school and was a farmer, owning farming land and city property.

Mr. Smith's father was born near Fort Gibson, Oklahoma, in 1845, was educated in his native state, and was a member of the Cherokee Council; his mother was born about 1856 in the Cherokee Nation. Both still reside in Oklahoma. They had five sons and three daughters, namely: Edwin B., Water, Mamie G., Juliet, May, Jennie, Junnie and Wilson N., all single and living in Oklahoma. Mr. Smith's grandparents were from Tennessee and emigrated to Oklahoma in an early day. Mr. Smith is the youngest County Judge in the state, he is well informed on general subjects, and has good training along the line of his profession, and is much esteemed and respected among his fellow citizens.


HENRY C. FISHER

One of the oldest citizens of Checotah; was born at Fishertown, a town ten miles southeast of Checotah, and is a son of William Fisher, in whose honor Fishertown was named. William Fisher was born in Alabama, in 1833, and came to the Territory in 1847, among the last of the Creek Indians to leave Alabama. His grandfather was a native of Germany, who came to America and married an Indian woman of the Creek tribe; their son Samuel was the father of William Fisher. William Fisher served in the Confederate army and was twice wounded; he participated in the battle of Honey Springs and many other engagements. The Fishers are among the best known families in eastern Oklahoma, and stand high in the estimation of all.

The early days of Henry C. Fisher were spent in his native place, and there he received his education. Upon reaching his majority he became actively interested in public affairs, but has now retired from politics and devotes his time to his farming and horticultural interests. A number of years ago he removed to Checotah, and owns one of the handsomest homes in the city. His homestead consists of three hundred and twenty acres of cultivated land and a large tract of pasture land. Besides raising cotton and corn he has an apple orchard of forty acres, all young trees, in the best state of productiveness, and has many fine varieties. He has a number of trees bearing the Ben Davis variety, and seldom has a shortage, realizing a good annual income therefrom. This orchard is situated within a half mile of Checotah, and is said to be the finest in the state. He is a hustling and energetic farmer, and is a prominent and highly respected citizen.

In 1882 Mr. Fisher married Lucy B., daughter of James Davidson and Hettie C. (McIntosh) Willison. The Willison family arc well known throughout the state, and James D. Willison was a well known and highly esteemed white man; his wife was a daughter of General McIntosh, of historical fame. Mrs. Fisher is the proud possessor of a number of family relics which were once owned by George Washington, such as knee buckles, punch bowl, spoons, etc., which descended to her through the Chandlers who were relatives of Martha Washington, from whom she is descended on her maternal side. Mr. Willison and his wife had eight children, six of whom reached maturity, namely: Kiamitia (deceased), wife of Thomas Scott; Aurora, wife of H. R. Collins, of Oktaha: Daniel N., of Arthur City, Texas; Mary B. (deceased), wife of George W. Shannon, of Gibson Station; Sarah M., wife of Samuel Barbee, of Wagoner, Oklahoma; Ruby D., wife of E. E. Weldon of Wagoner; J. D. (deceased), whose family resides at Wagoner; and Lucy B., Mrs. Fisher. To Mr. Fisher and his wife were born three children, namely: Carrie F., wife of W. C. McLean, of Checotah; Ollie Katherine, wife of W. C. Clark, a druggist of Checotah, and Eloise B., living at home.



Back to Page 16

Page 18

Back to Biographies






Back to the Main Index Page for Oklahoma
©Genealogy Trails