Oklahoma Genealogy Trails    
    A Proud Member of the Genealogy Trails Group
 

Oklahoma

The History of Oklahoma Biographies Vol. II
by Luther B. Hill
Page 18

BEN D. GROSS

Among the best-known attorneys of McIntosh County, Oklahoma, is Ben D. Gross, of Checotah. He is a native of Alabama, born March 4, 1872, son of Zaccheus K. and Rachel (Morgan) Gross. The Gross family came originally from Virginia and settled in what is now Jackson County, Alabama, where Zaccheus K. Gross was horn; they came down the Tennessee river in a flat boat when Alabama was still a territory and the country was occupied by Cherokee and Creek Indians. Among the prominent Indian families was the Gunter family. The father of Zaccheus K. Gross, David Gross, reared his family in what is now Jackson County, and died when Zaccheus was only nine years of age, leaving seven children, namely: John D., deceased, who died in the fall of 1899 in Jackson County, Alabama; Cyrus, who died in the Confederate army; Frank, who also died in the Confederate army; Stephen, deceased; Alabama, deceased, who was the wife of Clay Word, a minister of the Advent faith; Zaccheus K.; and Elizabeth, deceased, wife of James Smith, also deceased. Most of the family remained in Alabama.

Zaccheus K. Gross and his wife reared a family of eight children, namely: Ben D.; Elizabeth, wife of Edward C. Snodgrass, of Larkins Landing, Alabama; John Ruben, a farmer in Jackson County, Alabama; Thomas J., a student in the Southern University at Greensboro, Alabama; Cary F., of Montgomery, Alabama; Annia Agatha, living at home; Grady F., a student at home; and Ira M., at home. Mr. Gross and his wife still reside on the home place near Scottsboro, Alabama, where he and all his children were born. They all worship at the southern Methodist Episcopal church.

Ben D. Gross received his early education in the district schools of his native county, and later attended Scottsboro college, the normal school at Scottsboro, Alabama, and the Cumberland University, of Lebanon, Tennessee. He graduated from the last named institution with the class of 1896, and with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. During the time he was preparing himself for his profession he taught school for some time, thus earning a college education. He first opened an office for the practice of law at Scottsboro, and in 1897 came to the Indian Territory, locating at Muskogee, then a small town, but rapidly growing. Here he was successful, and two years later entered into partnership with Messrs. Wisdom and Toomer. In 1900 this firm opened a branch office in Checotah, with Mr. Gross in charge. In 1903 Mr. Gross withdrew from this partnership, and practiced by himself until statehood, when he became associated with William M. Duffy, which partnership lasted but a short time. He has since been more or less associated with Cheesie McIntosh, one of the best known attorneys in this portion of Oklahoma; however, each has his own private practice and they combine their forces only when mutually advantageous to do so. Mr. Gross is actively interested in public affairs, and has filled several offices, though not desirous of public honors. He held the office of city attorney three terms and also served some time as tax collector. Politically Mr. Gross is a prominent Democrat, of the so-called Jeffersonian type.

Mr. Gross is a public-spirited, representative citizen of the young state, and takes a commendable interest in all affairs pertaining to the growth and development of same. He is widely known, highly respected, and wields an influence for enterprise and prosperity. He is a member of Checotah Lodge No. 20, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and he and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal church, South.

On December 28, 1904, Mr. Gross married Cora E., daughter of John P. and Rachel Salver. Mr., Salyer was a native of Kentucky, and early in his life settled in Arkansas. Mr. Salyer and his first wife had nine children who reached maturity, namely: Albert (deceased), Nannie, John P., Jr., Mattie, Emma, David, Cora, Samuel and Garland. Nannie married Mr. N. J. Abner, of St. Paul, Arkansas; Mattie married Claud Lear, now of Checotah, Oklahoma; and Emma married John R. Johnson, of Hindsville, Arkansas By his second marriage Mr. Salyer had six children, namely: Jacob, Daisy, Shelby. R. G., Pansy and Richard. Mr. Salyer resides in Hindsville, Arkansas, where he is a successful farmer and stock man. Mr. Gross and his wife have one daughter, Rachel Eugenia.


ULYSSES Grant PHIPPEN

President of the First National Bank of Coweta, Wagoner County, has given the best of an essentially strong and loyal personality to advancing the development and civic prosperity of the state of Oklahoma, with whose interests he identified himself in the territorial epoch and of whose opulent resources and magnificent future he has had the keenest appreciation and prescience, so that his work has been directed along normal lines and with a definite object ever in view: Of splendid initiative ability, inflexible integrity, vital energy and broad mental ken, he has made his power felt along varied lines of productive enterprise and stands to-day not only as one of the representative citizens of the fine new commonwealth with which he has 'cast in his lot, but also as a true type of the "captains of industry" in whose hands are safely reposed the agencies that make for progress and advanced civilization.

Mr. Phippen was born in LaRue County, Kentucky, on the 25th of January, 1864, and is a son of William J. and Mary (Bomar) Phippen, the former of whom was born at Somerset, Pulaski County, Kentucky, and the latter in that part of Harden County, that state, which is now included in LaRue County, where their marriage was solemnized. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Phippen settled in LaRue County, at a point above five miles distant from the birthplace of Abraham Lincoln. There William J. Phippen became a prosperous farmer, and both he and his wife continued to maintain their home in Kentucky during the residue of their lives, which were marked by usefulness and high personal integrity, so that they held a secure place in the esteem of all who knew them. Of their eight children seven attained to years of maturity, and concerning them the following brief data are consistently entered in this sketch: A. W. is a resident of Springfield, Tennessee; Jemima is the wife of William H. Long, of Hart County, Kentucky; A. S. resides on the old homestead farm, which was the abiding place of the parents until their death; Artimisia D. is the wife of M. B. Routt, of LaRue County, Kentucky; E. Sherman, of LaRue County, and Ulysses G., of this sketch, are twins; Martha J. is the wife of Lovelace Tucker, of LaRue County, Kentucky; and Laura B. died at the age of two years.

Ulysses Grant Phippen was reared to maturity in his native state, where he lent his aid in the work and management of the home form until he had attained to his legal majority and where he was afforded the advantages of the common schools of the period. In his twenty-first year Mr. Phippen removed to the state of Texas, in 1885, and there he gave his attention to agricultural pursuits until he was twenty-four years of age, when he made wise use of his earnings by applying the same to the securing of higher educational advantages. He entered Grayson College, at Whitewright, Grayson County, Texas, and there continued his studies for a period of four years. After leaving college he was for a time engaged in teaching in the public schools of Grayson County, and he then read law, but did not engage in active practice, turning his attention instead to active business affairs. He continued his residence in Texas until 1897, when he removed to the territory of Oklahoma and located at Shawnee, where he became manager of a wholesale grocery establishment. He held this executive position for about two years, and then became cashier of the Oklahoma State Bank in Shawnee, an incumbency which he retained until 1900, when he removed to Ada, then a new town, where, in November of that year, he effected the organization of the First National Bank, of which he became cashier, having full control of the affairs of the institution and being one of its heaviest stockholders. He disposed of his stock in this bank in November, 1902, and in the following year he came to the town of Coweta and organized the First National Bank of this place. The institution initiated business in July, 1903, and was the first banking house established in the new town of Coweta, though there were two state banks in what is designated as the old town of Coweta. In erecting the building for the First National Bank on the new townsite it was located in a practically isolated position in a cotton field, and it was the first building started in the now thriving little city of Coweta. As president of the new institution Mr. Phippen assumed active charge of its "counting rooms," which were in the little frame building and with naught of sumptuousness in appointments. He forthwith instituted, however, the erection of the present commodious and substantial bank building which is constructed of brick, being two stories in height and twenty-five by eighty feet in lateral dimensions. Concerning his efforts in founding this solid and popular institution the following pertinent statements were published in a recent industrial edition touching Coweta and its history: "In the year 1902 a visit to this immediate section convinced Mr. Phippen that the choicest belt of the Indian country lies between the Arkansas and Verdigris rivers, round about Coweta. With that dominant characteristic of his, the tendency to decide a matter quickly and definitely, he instantly determined to locate a bank here. Soon he got other capital interested with him, and the result was the founding of what is now that well known and substantial banking house, the First National Bank of Coweta." This bank was incorporated with a capital of twenty-five thousand dollars, and from modest deposits during the first year there has been a steady and substantial growth in the business of the institution, whose advantages and facilities have met with marked popular appreciation.
C. C. Hultquist is vice-president of the bank and W. S. Vernon is cashier, and these officers are able coadjutors of the president, who has given to the institution a wise administration along duly conservative lines.

Mr. Phippen is the owner of a large amount of real estate in Coweta and also of valuable farming land in Wagoner County, and he has been a potent and inspiring force in connection with the growth and development of this section of the new state. He was president of the company which drilled the first gas well in Wagoner County, and this first well proved productive, thus encouraging the development of the natural gas resources of the locality. The property was finally sold to the company now supplying Coweta with gas, and is still producing under good pressure. When Mr. Phippen took up his residence in Coweta its population, including all races and nationalities, did not exceed two hundred and fifty persons, and all resided in the old town. The population of the present attractive little city is about two thousand, and the town is supplied with modern facilities and well ordered business houses of various kinds. The old town of Coweta was the tribal court town of the Crook Indian nation, and here the Indians assembled to make their selection when it became necessary to elect a new chief. The old Coweta school, now abandoned, is located one-half mile east of the present town and is probably one of the oldest Indian schools in the state. But few of the Creek Indians are now to be found within the borders of Wagoner County.

From the article to which recourse was had for a preceding quotation the following pertinent statements are reproduced, with but slight paraphrase: "From his first day's residence here Mr. Phippen has never hesitated to give of his time and means to any and every thing which looked to the upbuilding of Coweta, developing the surrounding county and bringing to the attention of the outside world the wonderful possibilities of the state in general. President of the Commercial Club in Coweta, Mr. Phippen was largely instrumental in the organization of the Federation of Commercial Clubs of the territory, of which body he was made president, at Okmulgee, Indian Territory, in July, 1905. With his fine judgment, well equipped and well trained mind, his upright character and fearless courage to stand for the right, it has been to such men as U. G. Phippen that the people of this part of the new state have looked for leadership and for wisdom to champion their cause in the early formative days of its existence. Mr. Phippen's ardor for this country's immediate and rapid development has, on occasion, prompted him to respond to repeated calls of the people for public discussion of matters uppermost in their thoughts, and as a forceful public speaker he had made a deep impress upon the minds of the people in various parts of our new commonwealth."

Mr. Phippen was a member of the delegation sent from Oklahoma to Washington to memorialize Congress in a petition to grant statehood to Oklahoma and Indian Territories in combination as now constituted, and he proved a valuable member of this body. In politics, though never an aspirant for official preferment, he is aligned as a staunch supporter of the principles of the Democrat party and he has rendered effective service in its cause. He is affiliated with Coweta Lodge, No. 251, Free & Accepted Mason, and Coweta Lodge, Knights of Pythias. His religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and Mrs. Phippen holds membership in the Christian church. He is a dominating factor in the business and civic life of his home city and county, and both he and his wife are leaders in the social activities of the community.

On the 25th of May, 1898, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Phippen to Miss Laud German, of Whitewright, Texas, where her parents, James L. and Eliza (Paxton) German, were early settlers. The German family was early founded in America and this is also true of the Phippen family, which is of English lineage and which sent its original representatives to America prior to the war of the Revolution. Mr. James L. German, the father of Mrs. Phippen, is a man whose active life is closely identified with the history of the state of Texas. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention which framed the present constitutions of his state, and has always lent his influence toward the material and moral good of the country. Mr. and Mrs. Phippen have no children.


CHARLES GIBSON

One of the oldest native-born residents of McIntosh County, Oklahoma is Charles Gibson, of Eufaula, who was born a mile and a half from the present town in 1846. He is a son of John Culpepper Gibson, of Scotch-Irish descent, who came among the Creek Indians in Alabama when a boy, and was reared there. He came to Creek Nation with the Creeks, but in passing through Mississippi married Pohly (or Polly), daughter of Tuslumugee Emonthler. He settled near where Eufaula now stands, and there reared his family. The first storehouse was built in 1833 at old North Fork Town, and he became the first bookkeeper in the nation; he was employed in similar work by private individuals. The old hammer used in building this house is still in the possession of his son, used sixty-six years since. The storehouse was built of logs, as there was no lumber here at that time, and this was the first house erected. Five boats were chartered by the government to transport the Indians, there being five or six hundred Indians on each boat, and the men in charge of the store also came on the boats. The first permanent settlement of the Creek Indians was at North Fork Town. John C. Gibson received his education in Alabama, and was one of the eight white men who came to the Territory at this time, the others being: Ben Poter, father of Chief Poter, Jack Poter, John Gordon, and four whose names Mr. Gibson has forgotten. As he was a white man, he had only an advisory voice in the councils of the Nation, though he was highly esteemed by all. By his first marriage Mr. Gibson reared three children, namely: John H., of the Choctaw Nation; Charles; and Martha Jane, wife of William Walker, of McIntosh County. Mrs. Gibson died in 1849, and Mr. Gibson married Elsie, daughter of John Boson, who was a brother of Amos Boson, chief of Hicheta Town. To this union were born two children who reached maturity, Isaiah, deceased, whose family resides in Eufaula, and Walter, deceased. Mr. Gibson died in 1866.

The education received by Charles Gibson was meager, but by his ambition and close application he has educated himself to such an extent that he is possessed of more than ordinary intelligence and learning. During the latter part of 1864 Mr. Gibson joined Company T, under Captain Fields, of the First Cherokee Regiment, serving under General Stand Watie; he was assigned to scout duty, and served in this capacity during the entire nine months of his service. While standing guard one night he heard some one approach and asked for the countersign; when this was not given he marched his captive to the campfire and there discovered him to be none other than the commander, General Stand Watie, to the astonishment of all. Of the entire number in Company I only three now survive.

At the close of the war Mr. Gibson returned home and engaged in farming and stock raising. Mr. Gibson has met with more than ordinary success as a farmer and stockman, and has spent twenty-four years as a salesman in a store, twenty years in Eufaula for G. W. Grayson & Brother, and the remainder of the time with William Fisher. In 1897 Mr. Gibson embarked in the grocery business in Eufaula, and in 1899 lost his entire stock by fire, since which time he has devoted his time to his other interests, principally real estate. Mr. Gibson is well known all over the eastern portion of Oklahoma, and is one of the most successful and prominent citizens. He is past master of the oldest lodge of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons in the section, now Eufaula Lodge No. 1.

When the Dawes Commission was established at Muskogee Mr. Gibson became interpreter for the commission, and he was at one time the Creek representative of the Five Civilized Tribes in a grand council; there were also twenty-three uncivilized tribes represented in the council, the object of which was to establish a more friendly footing between the Indians and the government. He did not hold any other important offices until after statehood, and in 1907 was elected county commissioner, taking his office in 1908. He was a member of the first jury in the first United States Court held in Muskogee, the jurymen all being members of the Masonic order.

Mr. Gibson has been twice married, first to Susan, daughter of John Williams, a full blood Cherokee, nephew of Thomas Starr. They reared no children of their own, but eared for thirty-four orphans in their thirty-one years of married life, educating each one, two of whom were white. In 1889 Mr. Gibson married (second) Modena Aultman, one eighth Creek, daughter of Henry and Melvina (Doyle) Aultman, Irish and Creek in nationality. Of this marriage three children were born, namely: Vernie M., Charles C. and Rush Roosevelt. During the visit of President Roosevelt to Muskogee Mrs. Gibson presented him with a fan made from the tail of a bald eagle, and Roosevelt has since sent several letters to the boys. She is a member of the Baptist church, as was his first wife.


JOHN A. WICKS

A merchant, farmer and stock raiser of Braggs, was born in Calhoun County, Mississippi, in 1862. He is a son of John A. and Jane (Brewster) Wicks, also natives of that state. He was a soldier in the Confederate army, and died soon after the beginning of the war, leaving a widow and four children, John being the youngest. The oldest son, James A., deceased, is buried in Muskogee; Jane A., of Tunica, Mississippi; and Edna, the deceased wife of James Smith. Mrs. Wicks died in 1880.

John A. Wicks received but little education in his boyhood and after the death of his mother came to Muskogee County, Oklahoma, with six other boys, each possessing about ten dollars to pay for their passage on a wagon, and walking part of the way, as there was no railroad in that section then. He located at Tahlequah, and the first work he found was making rails, for which work he received his board and seventy-five cents per hundred rails. Later he carried mail for the government, both by horseback and stage, beginning in 1881 and continuing until 1884. .At the time of his marriage he became a cowboy and worked with cows for three years, and then purchased a farm on the Arkansas River, near Braggs, where he reared his family. He purchased the land, consisting of one hundred and eighty-five acres, in 1885, only four acres being then under cultivation, and the remainder covered with a heavy cane growth. At present he has one hundred and seven acres under cultivation and well improved, and has a comfortable house as well as good outbuildings. He owns also several other farms along the river.

In 1905 Mr. Wicks moved into Braggs and engaged in a mercantile business, in which he has met with good success. He erected the first brick building in Braggs, of two stories, with offices on the second floor. He also has the distinction of having ginned and baled the first cotton ever ginned in Tahlequah. He is extensively engaged in buying, raising and selling cattle. He is the winner of his own fortune and prosperity, being a self-made man in the truest sense, and he not. only owns extensive farm lands but also a large amount of property in the town of Braggs on part of which his handsome residence is located. Politically he is a Republican, and is a member of the Church of God; he also belongs to the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and to the Royal Arch Masons of Webbers Falls, also to the Scottish Rite Masons of McAlester. He is not an office seeker, and has never filled an elective office. Mr. Wicks has had a personal acquaintance with many of the "bad men" of the county, among them: Ed Christie, a full blood Indian noted as an outlaw and murderer; Cherokee Bill (Bill Crosby), a half-breed Indian; Big Chewey, a full blood Indian; and Jack Spaniard, a half blood Mexican and Cherokee.

In 1884 Mr. Wicks married Lizzie, daughter of Michael Hildebrand, and granddaughter of Joseph Hildebrand. Her father was a native of this country, but her great-grandfather came from Germany. John A. Wicks and his wife were the parents of four children, namely: George, a farmer; John A., a farmer; Nancy J.; and one deceased. Mrs. Wicks died in 1895, and in 1897 Mr. Wicks married Nannie Hildebrand, a half sister to his first wife .and by whom he had children as follows: Joseph, Benjamin D. and one deceased. In 1899 Mr. Wicks married Ada Brown, and they became the parents of four children, two of whom survive, Arthur and Everett Wicks.


JOHN WASHINGTON BREEDLOVE

Who died at Fort Smith, May 18, 1904, was one of the pioneers of the place who laid the foundation of a prosperous community and who, while advancing to great prominence himself, did not forget the comfort and enjoyment of his fellows, but labored for them as for himself. He was one of the first merchants of Muldrow, was president of its first bank, publicly served the Cherokee nation of which he was a member by marriage, and accomplished more than any other citizen in bringing the people of Sequoyah County into telephonic communication, thus adding immeasurably to their commercial strength and individual happiness. If he had accomplished nothing else than the last named work, his name would have been gratefully remembered by all residents, young and old, of this section of Oklahoma.
Mr. Breedlove was born in Breen County, Missouri, August 14, 1852, and is a son of Simpson and Sarah (Hicks) Breedlove, both natives of Tennessee, but residents of Evansville, Washington County, Arkansas, at the outbreak of the Civil war. At that time the father was engaged in the sheep business, but left his flocks to join the Confederate cause. It was the fortune of war that he should be made a prisoner by the Federalists and drop from earthly sight forever. His widow reared the children of the family, followed her son, John W., to the Cherokee country, and remained near him until her death in 1892. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Simpson Breedlove were as follows: Martha, who married Richard Leach, of Muldrow; Nancy, who became the wife of Nathan Leach, and died at that place; William H., who died at Duncan, Oklahoma; Myra, who was married thrice and died as Mrs. William A. Sanders at Claremore, that state; John W., of this sketch; and James L., who passed away unmarried.

After completing his education at Cane Hill College, Arkansas, John W. Breedlove came to the Cherokee nation and taught school for a time, when he engaged in the stock business and laid the foundation of his future prosperity and' power for good. In 1888 he embarked in various mercantile enterprises at Muldrow; established himself as one of its first business men and continued thus active for eleven years. Although this was a period of money-making, it was also one of comparative isolation from the greater outside world, as the town had for a number of years no other communication with other sections of the county than through the mails; and even they were irregular. Several of the localities surrounding Muldrow had installed the telephone system and Mr. Breedlove conceived the businesslike, not to say beneficent project, of uniting these scattered links into a continuous chain, thereby bringing the communities into those intimate relations which are so conducive to commercial and social development. He finally built a line from Muldrow to Fort Smith and Wagoner, thence to Muskogee, Fort Gibson and Tahlequah; as well as a line direct to Spiro and Stigler. With these lines in operation came a demand for lines connecting the homes of farmers and ranchmen, and Mr. Breedlove eventually placed telephones in operation for the benefit of settlers in the vicinity of Muldrow.

Before he died, in fact, his efforts had resulted in binding together, by means of the telephone, practically every point in Sequoyah County, and his completed enterprise composed both a valuable asset of his estate and a fine tribute to his energetic, able and thoughtful character. Throughout these labors he had also retained large interests in farming and stock raising, and at his .decease he owned considerable property in Muldrow. In 1896 he became a stockholder in the Lang Shoe Company of Fort Smith, and when the necessity for a bank arose in Muldrow he assisted in its organization and became its first president. He also devoted considerable time to the public affairs of the Cherokee nation and served in its last council house. It should be added that he had read law and had been admitted to practice before the Indian courts, but utilized his legal knowledge chiefly in the furtherance and protection of his business, financial and property interests. The deceased was a Mason, an Odd Fellow and a Knight of Pythias. His religious connections were with the Methodist church at Fort Smith, where his death occurred. Even a cursory review of the foregoing facts indicate a remarkable force and elevation of character, and stamp the departed as a character whose influence was of the deepest and best.

On August 25, 1875, Mr. Breedlove married Miss Carrie Bruton, daughter of the late well known Dr. C. W. Bruton and a sister of W. 0. Bruton, one of the foremost citizens of Muldrow. Rev. W. S. Derrick, then laboring in this country as a minister, but now a banker and foremost citizen of Madill, performed the ceremony. The issue of their marriage was as follows: James Willoughby, a lawyer of Sallisaw, Oklahoma, who married Miss Mary B. Eiffert and is the father of Willoughby W. Jack and William Curtis; Robert Bruton, who died in infancy; Caswell Wright, also deceased, who during his short life took a prize at Fort Smith fair; William Otway, a business man of Muldrow, who married Miss Cecil Watts and is the father of Bessie Eberlie; John Chisholm, a graduate of Washington University, St. Louis (class of 1908) and who is now a druggist at Muldrow; Cassie, who married Owen Owen, of Caney, Kansas; Wharton

Hicks also a graduate in pharmacy of Washington University (1908) and in the drug business at Muldrow; Walton David, who is engaged in the livery business; Otho, who died in infancy; Napoleon and Willard Stapler, who died in infancy; and Charles Winchester, the youngest of the twelve children, and who is also living with the honored and well-to-do widow.


0. LON CONNER

As assistant state agent for Oklahoma of the National Life Insurance Company of the United States of America, with headquarters in Vinita, O. Lon Conner occupies a commanding position among the strongest and most able underwriters of the country, having in the year 1908 ranked the highest in the volume of business written of any of the two thousand solicitors employed by his company. A native of Oklahoma, he was born, February 12, 1877, in the Cherokee Nation, near Fairland, Ottawa County, where his father, Frank M. Conner, located when a young man.

Born in Jasper County, Missouri, in 1851, Frank M. Conner migrated to the Cherokee Nation, and having established himself in the Delaware district, near Fairland, was there engaged in general farming and in cattle raising and dealing, and where he still resides. He married, near Fairland, Rebecca Duncan, a daughter of Green Duncan, who immigrated to Oklahoma from the old Cherokee country in the east. Four children were born to them, as follows: 0. Lon, the special subject of this brief notice; Crawford, of Fairland; Lula, wife of W. H. James, of Narcissa, Oklahoma; and Leonard, living near Fairland.
Remaining on the home farm until nineteen years old, 0. Lon Conner decided by that time that some other occupation would suit him better. Securing therefore a position as manager of a store in Fairland, he was engaged in mercantile pursuits five years. He was then appointed criminal deputy under United States Marshal W. H. Darrough, of the northern district of the Indian Territory, and served in that capacity for three and one-half years. Engaging then in the life insurance business, Mr. Conner was a solicitor for the Equitable Life Insurance Company of New York for two years, during which time he rapidly climbed the ladder of success, becoming the forty-fifth man in the amount of business written up among the thousands of salesmen over the United States in the employ of that great organization. Mr. Conner then assumed his present position with the National Life of the United States of America, and has here plainly demonstrated his ability to produce a business that places him in a high position in the estimation of his employers. In 1907 he had the distinction of winning the diamond watch offered as a prize by the company, and also won a diamond ring, while in 1908 he led all of the other numerous solicitors in the amount of business, having in that time written up more than three hundred thousand dollars worth.

Although now identified with the Republican party, Mr. Conner has no political aspirations, his entire attention being devoted to the insurance business, and to his private interests.

On December 30, 1896, Mr. Conner was united in marriage with Kate E. Yeargain, a daughter of James Yeargain, of Beatty's Prairie, who married Mary Kinney, a Cherokee. Three children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Conner, namely: Nevada Maud, born in 1898; Lon Jay, born in 1900; and Clifton Sidney, born in 1902.

Mr. Conner has a pleasant home on the corner of Ross and Canadian streets, in Vinita, and is connected with several companies doing development work in the oil field, and operating their leases. He also owns farms of several hundred acres, which he is fast improving and bringing under cultivation, they being in Ottawa County, near Fairland, a region modestly claiming to be in the richest and most fertile part of Oklahoma. Fraternally Mr. Conner is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason, belonging to McAlester Consistory; and is also a member and the first exalted ruler of Vinita Lodge No. 1162, of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.


BENJAMIN F. PADEN

Of Stilwell, one eighth Cherokee Indian, was born August 22, 1835, eight miles west of Stilwell, in Adair County. In infancy he moved with his father, Benjamin Paden, to Van Buren, Alabama, and lived there from 1836 until 1857, on a farm. He then returned and settled with his father near Stilwell, in what was then known as the Flint District of the Cherokee Nation. He took his allotment four miles east of Stilwell, where he still resides.

Benjamin Paden came to the Cherokee Nation in 1883, and settled near Evansville, Oklahoma, where he lived two years and then returned to Alabama. During these two years the, son Benjamin was born, and he lived in Alabama twenty years, returning then to the Cherokee Nation, to the Flint District, which is now Adair County, Oklahoma. The family lived four years at the old home there, and then the war came on and they immigrated to the Red River. While there the father died, passing away in 1864. He left a wife and nine children, only five of whom lived to take allotments. They were: Benjamin F.; A. T., who married Martha Vickory; Jeff, married Martha Adair; Martha, who married John Evans; and Maggie, who married Richard L. Taylor. Benjamin Paden's wife was Elmira Miller, born in Georgia in 1816. and she died in 1884.

Benjamin F. Paden served in the Civil war as picket in the Confederate army from 1863 until the close of the struggle. He is a man of enterprise and intelligence, having a fair education. Mr. Paden married Luanda John, a full-blooded Cherokee woman, born in 1854. Their daughter Marietta was born January 9, 1883, and died on May 26, 1887. Their other children are: Jennie May, married George Smith, and located in Stilwell; Marguerite, married George McKee and settled on her allotment six miles east of Stilwell; Benjamin F., and Lucinda E., and Susan A., who live at home.


CHARLES W. KING

Postmaster of the town of Muldrow and active in the business and political life of Sequoyah County, was born in Loudon County, Tennessee, April 26, 1870, being a member of an old family of that state.
His grandfather was John Sevier King, who in turn was a great-grandson of the John Sevier whose name has a foremost place in Tennessee history; he was the first governor of the state. John Sevier King was born in Tennessee and died in 1880, aged sixty-eight. He was circuit court clerk of Loudon County, and a man of local prominence. He married Martha Earnest, and their children were: Robert G., Maria, wife of John H. Campbell; Nancy, who married William J. Wells, William H.; Addie, who married J. R. Fryar; and Rufus A.

William H. King, the father, was born in Roane County, Tennessee, August 31, 1843, and acquired a fair knowledge of books when a boy. He enlisted in the Union army and was a private in Captain Bird's company of the First Tennessee Infantry, being with Sherman's army till the close of the war. A few years after the war he was elected register of Roane County on the Republican ticket, and subsequently moved to Loudon County, where he was a farmer, with a strong inclination to political activity. He served as deputy sheriff of Loudon County, and after locating in Meigs County was elected to the legislature in 1887, serving with distinction in the lower house. He died in May, 1909. He was a member of the Methodist church. He married, November 28, 1867, Cynthia T. Fryar. Her father, H. J. Fryar, was a farmer, and two of her brothers died in Andersonville prison during the war. She died in 1884. Their children were: Ulysses IL, who died in Tennessee; Charles W.; Mrs. B. K. Henley, Mrs. T. B. Baldwin and Mrs. D. F. Lankford, of Tennessee.

Charles W. King was reared and educated in his native state, attending the high school at Decatur and the Grand University at Athens. He entered the employ of Ashford & Company, a commission firm of Chattanooga, and later had charge of the business of Himes Brothers of that city. On leaving Tennessee he located at Waco, Texas, and was there until 1893, and then in 1894 located in the Cherokee Nation. He was engaged in fanning and school teaching until 1905, when he became connected with the Wolf-Mayer Mercantile Company of Muldrow.

He has been active in Republican politics in the Sequoyah district from the beginning of the statehood movement, and at the first county convention, as member of the committee on resolutions, helped name the first candidates for county office. He declined to be a candidate for nomination as county clerk. He has served several terms as precinct committeeman and helped to organize the district about Muldrow into an effective working body before election. On April 3, 1909, Mr. King was appointed postmaster of Muldrow. He succeeds J. H. Bowers, whose death closed a long service in this office.
Mr. King married, at Muldrow, July 15, 1894, Miss Lula Jackson. She was born in Crawford County, Arkansas, February 20, 1876, a daughter of John and Nancy (Hargrave) Jackson, whose other children were W. J., J. C. and Henry Jackson. Mr. and Mrs. King's children are Stella, Ulysses, Walter, Inez and Austin.


JAMES G. DENTON

Justice of the peace of Sallisaw and in this capacity an influential figure in the legal and civil affaire of Sequoyah County, came to Oklahoma in 1885. In that year, as an orphan of thirteen, he located near Poteau with several brothers and sisters, both older and younger than himself. After some years of irregular schooling and occupation James G. became the driver for a freighting wagon run by a merchant between Fort Smith and Hartford, Arkansas, and his employer (R. Y. Baldwin) afterward took him into his store as a clerk. When his savings would warrant it, he continued his interrupted schooling at Mountain Home, Arkansas, but with the dissipation of his small educational fund he resumed work near Poteau. While in the employ of the McMurtrys, well known stock dealers of LeFlore County, he laid aside sufficient to enable him to take special courses at West Plains and Springfield, Missouri. He then began his career as a resident of Sallisaw.

Judge Denton's first work at Sallisaw was in connection with a mercantile clerkship, and for the succeeding fourteen years he was identified with the business progress of the place, either as employer or employee. During that period he was also commissioned as notary public of the eleven recording districts. He was elected township justice on the Democratic ticket and went into office with the incoming of the new state government in November, 1907, his term expiring on the 1st of November, 1911. He was the first justice of the peace to be sworn in Sequoyah County, and tried the first law suit and performed the first marriage ceremony among his fellow officials of the county. The couple married was James Parker and Della Palmer. As a fraternalist Mr. Denton is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Red Men.

Mr. Denton is a native of Lincoln County, Illinois, born December 17, 1872, a son of James M. Denton, in early life a steamboat captain on the Mississippi river, but later a farmer in Lincoln County, where he died in 1878. His brothers, Jesse, George W. and Isaac, all passed their lives near Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Captain Denton was a native of Ireland, born in 1818, and married Miss Elizabeth Cambron, an Alabama lady who died in Texas County, Missouri, in 1881, and is buried near Licking. By a former wife he was the father of W. I., who died in the Choctaw nation leaving a family; Sterling, who was assassinated and robbed near Newport, Arkansas; and Hannah H., who is the wife of George W. Hill, of Texas County, Missouri. By his second wife Captain Denton was the father of James G., of this notice; Frank L., of Ritchie, Missouri; and Jeannette, who married John Stafford, of Seneca, that state. James G. Denton was married in Sallisaw, March 10, 1887, to Miss Millie E. Johnston, daughter of Erastus Johnston and his wife (nee Amanda Loggains) , who has borne him Arthur Franklin, Claudie E., Virgie E., Oscar G. and Sterling Sherrill Denton.


NICHOLAS PATE

Treasurer of Sequoyah County and the first incumbent under state government, is thoroughly qualified by experience and absolute integrity and reliability to discharge the duties of that responsible office. He is a Tennessee man, born in Henderson County, July 19, 1860, his parents being Daniel E. and Mary (Rushing) Pate. On both sides of the family his forefathers were North Carolinians, the paternal branch extending into Tennessee, of which Daniel E. was a native and a lifelong farmer, as well as a shoemaker. During the Civil war he was especially busy in both lines, much of his footwear being made under contract with the Confederate government. He died in his native state at the age of sixty-five, his widow's last years being spent at Sallisaw, where she died in 1897, at the age of sixty-seven.
The future county treasurer was first educated in the rural schools of Tennessee, and from the age of seventeen to twenty-seven he was a teacher himself. During this period he completed his own schooling at Saltillo, that state; in 1885 came into the southwest and taught a few months at Hagerville, Arkansas, and then journeyed to the Pacific coast and to the state of Oregon, where he resumed his school work, engaged in carpentry and finally operated a shingle mill. These employments consumed two years of his time, after which he re-established himself as a teacher in Arkansas, and the succeeding five years were spent as an educator in Crawford County. At this juncture he came to the Cherokee nation, located at Vian and took charge of a school near Vian, spending his vacations in farming. In 1897 he commenced to clerk in a Sallisaw drug store, afterward became proprietor of a business, but was the assistant of Dr. V. W. Hudson in that line when he was put forward as a candidate for the county treasureship. He had already had four years experience as city treasurer of Sallisaw, from 1903 to 1907, and, besides this special experience, his general business career had tended to well qualify him for the discharge of his larger duties, which he assumed November 16, 1907. He is a careful and efficient official, a property owner and a substantial and honored citizen. In fraternal matters Mr. Pate is a Master Mason, having been identified with the order for twenty years, and with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows for ten years. He also belongs to both auxiliaries.
On November 4, 1900, Mr. Pate married, in Benton County, Arkansas, Miss Maggie Marion, daughter of L. S. Marion, both father and daughter being natives of North Carolina, the year of Mrs. Pate's birth being 1879. The children of this union are as follows: Hazel, who was born in 1901 and died in infancy; Leo, born February 22, 1903; Blanch, born in March, 1906; Floyd, born in April, 1907; and Dot, born in January, 1909.


ARGYLE QUESENBURY

At Sallisaw, the county seat of Sequoyah County, the pioneer merchant who started the ripples of commerce there and has since lived to see and to welcome the flood of business which has come with the growth and establishment of the county seat, is Argyle Quesenbury. He has spent all his life on the southwestern frontier, having been born in old Fort Smith on the border between the white man's and red man's country, on June 9, 1840. His subsequent business relations and marriage with a member of the Cherokee tribe have made him an adopted citizen of the Indian Territory, and for more than a third of a century he has been a substantial figure among his people.

He was in school until sixteen, having been a student of Cane Hill College, Arkansas. The outbreak of the Civil war found him a clerk in a store at Fort Smith, and he joined Colonel Churchill's regiment of mounted rifles (the same Churchill was later governor of Arkansas), in General Reynolds' brigade, Walthall's division, and Stuart's corps. After participating in the battle of Pea Ridge, he was transferred to the eastern Confederate armies, his first serious engagement being at Richmond, Kentucky, after which he was at Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Jackson (Miss.), in the Atlanta campaign, battle of Jonesboro (Ga.), closing his field service in the hard battle of Franklin (Tenn.). He was on a furlough when Lee's surrender came, and was in Texas at the conclusion of the war. Contrary to the average experience, his four years' arduous service left him in greater physical vigor than when he first took up arms. His weight of ninety-two pounds in 1861 had increased to one hundred and forty-five, and the training of war seemed to strengthen him and guarantee him for a life of threescore and ten, carrying these years with the vigor and spirit of the man of middle age.

At the close of the war a venture of cotton raising near Fort Smith proved unprofitable. With two wagon-loads of merchandise, he journeyed to the interior of the Cherokee Nation and on the site of Sallisaw set up his mercantile enterprise in a pen-like structure which stood just in front of his present home. His first home was a pole house near by. His equipment was primitive, but in keeping with the primitive times, and his stock of goods was sufficient for the needs of the populace.

In 1886 he abandoned the counter and engaged in farming and stock raising, his extensive domain being grazed over by many cattle bearing his brand. It is worthy of mention that he was among the first in this part of the territory to engage in the culture of small fruits, but after two years of only partial success he gave it up and resumed the growing of the more staple products of cotton and corn.
When the national lands were allotted, he and his family made their choice of lands adjacent to the village of Sallisaw. His and his wife's homesteads lie on the east and north of the growing town, and already have the high values of suburban real estate. The family residence, though within sight and sound of the business district, is situated on a slope and pleasantly retired among native forest trees and landscape surroundings of unusual beauty. The Quesenbury additions, No. 1 and No. 2, have already been placed upon the market, and much of their area substantially improved.

As the years of his residence have passed with increasing prosperity from a material point of view, so in civic usefulness and public esteem Mr. Quesenbury has likewise continued to grow. A few years after the incorporation of Sallisaw he was chosen mayor, and has served in the same office since then. His management of the town finances was especially pleasing to the citizenship, since the securities were brought to par from the discount basis on which they had hitherto stood. He was partly responsible for turning over to the public schools a surplus fund. He has often served on the board of education. Under the tribal government he was a Progressive in politics, a member of the Downing party, but in state politics has adhered to the Democracy.

This family of Quesenburys, a century ago had its seat in Tennessee. Thomas Quesenbury was born in Winchester, that state, in 1807. He migrated with his father's family to Arkansas, and was married at Big Mulberry to Mary Ketler, who was born in Louisiana, and died in 1869. Their children were: Argyle (of this sketch); William D., who died while in the Confederate army; Walter, Alfred and Henry, all deceased, the last named dying in 1872.

Mr. Quesenbury's grandfather, after moving from Tennessee to Arkansas, became a large landowner, planter and slaveholder, and lived to the age of eighty-four. By his marriage to Betsy Bean he had the following large family: Sallie, wife of Alfred Henderson, who moved to Texas; Thomas, mentioned in the preceding paragraph; Mary A., who married Jo Aerheart and spent her life in Texas; William D., who died unmarried; Susan, who became the wife of Jack Williamson; Betsy, who became Mrs. Alfred Shores, of Franklin County, Arkansas; Robert and Julia, who died young; Frances, who married J. F. Quayle, a merchant of Ozark, Arkansas.

Argyle Quesenbury married, in January, 1867, Miss Harriet B. Wheeler, daughter of John F. Wheeler, printer and publisher of Oklahoma. The wife of the latter was a sister of the famous General Stand Watie, or Isaac Watie, as the English interpretation of the name would be. Mrs. Quesenbury was born near Tahlequah in 1840. The children of her marriage are: Mary, wife of Dr. R. T. Kelleam, of Sallisaw; Ida, wife of Eugene Beasley, of Sallisaw; Sadie, wife of C. 0. Frye; Mrs. Lucy Brodie, a widow; and Theodore, who died in 1901, aged twenty-six, when just entering upon a professional career. Mr. Quesenbury is an elder in the local Presbyterian church. He has been a member of the school board for more than seven years, and had charge of the building of the new school house, which was erected at a cost of thirty thousand dollars.


GEORGE A. RAINWATER

Register of deeds of Sequoyah county, came to Oklahoma in 1897 from Logan county, Arkansas, where his birth occurred April 24, 1879. His education was obtained in the country schools of that community and at Pea Ridge Normal College, after which he taught four terms in the district schools of Sequoyah county. Then (in 1906) he located at Sallisaw, and was employed in a general store when he was named by the Democratic county convention as their candidate for register of deeds. He was elected over his Republican opponent by the narrow margin of four votes, one of the features of the contest being his stirring campaign songs. Mr. Rainwater went into office with the new state, November 16, 1907, and he has since made an enviable record as an active and efficient official.

George A. Rainwater is a son of George W. Rainwater, who was born in Carroll county, Georgia, December 3, 1837, and was a young planter of that state when he joined the Nineteenth Infantry for service under Lee in the Army of Northern Virginia. Although he took part in all the fierce and stubborn fighting in Virginia which marked the years 1863-4, he escaped without being wounded or imprisoned. George W. Rainwater was the fifth in a family of seven, his father, James Rainwater, having spent his life within the bounds of Georgia. The former married Miss Nancy Parish before the Civil war, and not long after its close left Georgia and settled in Logan county, Arkansas, where he resided until the migration to the Cherokee country. Since that time he and his wife have been identified with Haskell county, now Oklahoma. On September 9, 1900, George A. Rainwater, of this sketch, married, in Sallisaw, Miss Ollie Morgan, daughter of Julian Morgan, who came to Oklahoma from Crawford county, Arkansas, where Mrs. Rainwater was born March 14, 1882. The children of this union are Miskey, Lowell and Clevlie.


JAMES FRANKLIN PHILLIPS

One of the old residents of the Indian Nation, he was born in what was then known as Going Snake District in the Cherokee Nation, July 4, 1852. He is a son of Elijah and Sidney (Crittenden) Phillips. Elijah was the son of James Phillips, born in Paris, France, whose father was a prominent man in his native country. The Crittenden family also came originally from France. The Phillips family landed in New Orleans and there took the oath of citizenship soon after that section of country was purchased by the United States Federal government. Later they removed to North Carolina, where Elijah Phillips was reared to manhood, and where he met and married his first wife, Miss Wright, a quarter-blood Cherokee. They came to the Indian Nation in 1833, making most of the journey by steamer and landing at the month of the Sallisaw river. Mr. Phillips located in the Going Snake district near Fort Wayne, in the Cherokee Nation. Here his first wife died; they were parents of two sons, John and Jeff. John married a sister of James F. Phillips' mother, thus becoming a brother-in-law of his father. Mr. Phillips married (second) Sidney, daughter of William and Betsey Crittenden, of French and Indian descent. Mr. Crittenden was of English and Indian descent; Major Downing, an Englishman, married an Indian girl named Checoowa, and they had a daughter, Williah, who married a Crittenden and raised a family of children. William Crittenden and his wife, Betsey House, were parents of Sidney Crittenden. Elijah Phillips was a farmer and stock raiser, and died about 1874, leaving a widow and five children, namely: Nancy, wife of Noah Whisenhunt. of Oklahoma; Sarah, deceased wife of Tyler Forman; H. P., deceased; James E.; and Palmyra, wife of Charles Whitmeyer.

James F. Phillips grew to manhood on his father's farm and received his education in the Cherokee public schools at Westville. When seventeen years of age he engaged in farming and stock raising on his own account near his birthplace. In 1883 he moved his family to the farm he now occupies. At that time the people were scattered, and between his home and Checotah, a distance of ten miles, were only two small log houses, the dwellers having only about five or six acres each under cultivation. These neighbors were Frank Wells and his brother Sam. Checotah at that time had a telegraph office and stock pens, but no resident section, and west of there the first house was that of William Gentry, a distance of fourteen miles. The entire country about here was a vast range, occupied by horses and cattle. Most of the settlers then cultivated only some six or eight acres, where they raised corn for bread and hominy. Wheat and oats were not raised here, and they did not raise grain for feeding their stock. All kinds of wild game abounded except buffalo, which by that time had been driven farther westward. Mr. Phillips, Bill Gentry, William Lablanch and old Mr. Fisher would meet some fifteen or twenty miles from home and spend a day or two in chasing foxes. Mr. Phillips, from his front porch, has seen as many as thirty deer at one time going quietly along their way, and on the land he now cultivates has seen as many as five hundred turkeys at one time, going from one hill to another; the turkeys passed over the beautiful prairie valley now under cultivation, and thus came clearly into view.

Mr. Phillips and his family had all their allotments adjoining, and have under cultivation some three hundred acres. He is a breeder of fine cattle and horses, and is one of the most progressive and highly esteemed men of the old Canadian district, the southern portion of McIntosh county. He takes an active interest in educational matters and is a director of the school in his neighborhood. He is politically independent, although his principles are rather in favor of the Democratic party. The family worships at the Christian church. He is one of the oldest members of Checotah Lodge Number 28, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Mr. Phillips married (first) Nance, daughter of Malachi and Mahalia Parris, the former one-sixteenth Cherokee and his wife a white woman. Mr. Phillips and his wife had four children, namely: Charlotte, deceased, was married first to W. D. Harris, by whom she had six children, and married second Jack Chastin; Annie, wife of Julius Edington, of Shamrock, Texas; Sidney, wife of William Johns; and Fannie, wife of Joe Bridges. Mr. Phillips married (second) Mrs. Bettie McDaniel, daughter of James and Peggie- (Wicked) Harman, of German and Cherokee descent. Mr. Harman was reared in North Carolina, and his wife was one-quarter Cherokee. Mr. Harman and his wife were parents of the following children who reached maturity: Charley; Mary, deceased; Sallie, deceased wife of Isaac Usry; Jessie; John, deceased; Bettie, Mrs. Phillips; Eliza, deceased wife of John Youse. Mrs. Phillips had been previously married to Alexander McDaniel, and they had two children, Mary, wife of Thomas Cowen, and Ella, wife of William Coleman. Mr. Phillips and his second wife have six children living, namely: Jessie J., Nancy, Ida, Laura L., Rachiel and Walter Lee. Ida married George Storms.


CHARLES O. FRYE

HE was born November 2, 1854, in Sallisaw, Sequoyah county, and is the pioneer of his home town; is a lawyer long identified with the government of the Cherokee nation and is himself descended from a signer of the original constitution granted to his people by the United States government in 1835, and served as a delegate to the constitutional convention which framed the laws of the state of Oklahoma. Thus has his family been closely connected with the remarkable development of the Indian-American civilization and its absorption into the body politic of an advanced commonwealth of the United States. Edward M. Frye, the father of Charles 0., was a white man of German blood and a native of Georgia who came to the Indian country with the Cherokee emigrants of 1835. Young Puppy, his grandfather, a full blooded Cherokee, was also of the tribe which journeyed to the allotted lands west of the Mississippi, being one of the signers of the constitution adopted by his people which constituted them one of the Five Indian Nations. He was a farmer, a man of evident influence and spent the remainder of his life in the Flint district. His daughter, Nancy Puppy, married Edward M. Frye, father of Charles 0. Frye, her husband dying in 1867, at the age of sixty-five, and she herself passing away in 1861, at the age of forty-nine. Edward M. Frye lived the life of a farmer, but also became a public character from his many years of service as district clerk of the Indian courts. He became the father of the following children: Moses, who died during the Civil war as a major in the Confederate army; Cynthia, who married Ellis Sanders and died in Sequoyah county in 1870; Charlotte, who married Richard Benge and passed away in 1879; Rosanna, who became Mrs. George Elliott and lived until 1868; Elizabeth, who married John Candy and died in 1867; Mary, who became Mrs. Samuel Sanders and lives at Dwight Mission, Oklahoma; Charles 0.; and Walter, who died in 1892, leaving a family of two children.

The work of the farm occupied the boyhood and youth of Charles O. Frye and three months of schooling furnished him with his sole book learning; until after he had passed his twentieth year. In spite of this scant learning he was elected clerk of the Sequoyah district and served in that Capacity for three terms of two years each. This position gave him an opportunity for study, and he not only became proficient in the legal forms of the court, but read law and was admitted to the Cherokee bar. In 1883 he was elected to the Cherokee senate, served two years; was president of the board of education in 1885-7; and in 1892 was reelected to the senate. During the years of his official tenure Mr. Frye practiced his profession and also superintended his farming interests about the village of Sallisaw. At the platting of that town in the late seventies he had been the first to build upon its site, moving thither with his young bride. Sallisaw has continued his residence. He has labored for its growth and taken pride in its advancement, having greatly contributed to both through his membership in the city council and the board of education and by his well considered activities as a private citizen. As a representative Cherokee citizen he was sent to the constitutional convention, but being a Republican was in the decided minority and his vote and voice had therefore little weight in the actual formation of the present organic law of Oklahoma. One of the resolutions which he introduced created considerable merriment (and perhaps some embarrassment), it being to the effect that no member of the convention should be eligible to election to any state office- for two years from the adjournment of the convention. Mr. Frye was appointed postmaster of Sallisaw on May 7, 1897, and served continuously for nine years, resigning in favor of John K. Hannah, the present postmaster. Mr. Frye still affiliates with the Republican party, having been true to its interest for the past twelve years. In his fraternal relations he is a Mason, an Odd Fellow and a Woodman of the World.

In 1877 Mr. Frye wedded Miss Eliza J. Thornton, daughter of W. R. and Minerva J. Thornton, both of the Cherokee nation. Mrs. Frye was born in Sequoyah county and died February 11, 1881, mother of a son: Edward M., a lawyer of Sallisaw, who was a student in the Male Seminary of the Cherokees and at the University of Arkansas, read law at Little Rock and married Miss Mattie Watts. Charles 0. Frye married for his second wife on December 28, 1886, Miss Sadie A. Quesenbury, of Sallisaw, and their children are as follows: Lee Roy, who is now a law student at Lebanon, Tennessee; Argyle, clerk in the Sallisaw postoffice; Raymond, Charles 0., Jr., Pliny Soper, Catherine, Mamie, Harriet, Thomas and Lucy Peg.


JOHN K. HANNAH

Postmaster of Sallisaw for ten years and an active and capable business man of the city, is a native of Fort Smith, Arkansas, where his birth occurred February 13, 1875. His father, William B. Hannah, was born in east Tennessee October 13, 1839, and was a farmer and a Union soldier in that section of the state. He married Miss Elizabeth Knight, who was born near Princeton, South Carolina, in 1843. In 1869 the parents migrated to Sebastian county, Arkansas, the father dying in Fort Smith October 17, 1899, when he had just entered his sixty-first year, and the mother is still living there. The children of their union were as follows: Belle, now the wife of Zibe D. Foote, of Greenwood, Arkansas: Simon J., of Santa Paula, California; John K., of this notice: David P., who is assistant postmaster of Sallisaw; Minnie F., wife of Albert Epple, of Fort Smith; and Tiny L., who married Orlie Hurt and resides in Jenny Lind, Arkansas.

John K. Hannah received his first instruction in a country school about eight miles below Fort Smith, later attending the public schools of that city. He was a farm youth until 1893, when he decided to try a business life and entered the Golden Eagle dry goods store at Fort Smith. He remained identified with that establishment until in 1899, when he located in the village of Sallisaw and became connected with the store of R. T. Kelleam (now Dr. Kelleam) and clerked there for several months. Mr. Hannah was then appointed assistant postmaster under Charles 0. Frye, and when his superior resigned five years afterward he became the head of the office, his appointment dating from 1906.

The postmaster's business training has given him the requisites for a model official and his services to his home community and the Republican party fairly earned him the place. His father's service in the Union army contributed to the formation of his political faith even before he had attained his majority, and he cast his maiden vote for a Union soldier and statesman, McKinley. Since settling in Sallisaw he has been city clerk of his town; has served as a member of the Republican committee of the third congressional district and is now secretary and treasurer of the Cherokee Republican, the party organ of Sallisaw and Sequoyah County. So that he is at the present time a particularly strong representative of both national and county Republicanism in this part of the state. Although an active Knight of Pythias, he has had comparatively little connection with the fraternities. On January 20, 1898, Mr. Hannah married Miss Georgia F. Grady, daughter of Joseph Grady, formerly of Franklin County. Arkansas. Mrs. Hannah was born near Fort Smith and is of an old Cherokee family which settled there in the early times of the Indian migrations.



Back to Page 17

Page 19

Back to Biographies





Back to the Main Index Page for Oklahoma
©Genealogy Trails