The History of Oklahoma Biographies Vol. II
by Luther B. Hill
DAVID M. FAULKNER
Assistant chief of the Cherokee Nation and prominently identified with the progress of his people since the days of the Civil war, is a resident of Hanson, in whose vicinity he has passed many years of his life. The main business of his life has been agriculture, in which he is still engaged, as well as in the guidance and protection of Cherokee citizens who for years have looked to him as a wise and disinterested counselor. Mr. Faulkner is a native of Oklahoma, born May 12, 1842, his father being Franklin Faulkner, a white man who came into the Indian Territory in 1838, as a teamster for a detachment of Cherokees from Tennessee. He married Aursakie Potts, a full blooded Cherokee, and the young couple established themselves near the present site of Stilwell, Adair County, where the husband commenced to farm. The wife and mother died in that locality in 1845, and about three years later the father located in the vicinity of Akins, where he died in 1887, when more than seventy years of age. The deceased was one of eight sons born to Nathaniel and Peggy (Wheeler) Faulkner, and he alone came west and identified himself with the Cherokee Nation. He, in turn, became the father of Lydia, who married William Benge and died in 1867, and David M., of this review. Nancy Pettit became the second wife of Franklin Faulkner.
David M. Faulkner was reared in his father's home until well toward manhood, thereafter residing with his elder sister until the opening of the Civil war. At that time he had received a public school education, and he commenced his military service as a member of Captain Thomas Lewis' company of Confederates, which formed the body guard of General Albert Pike while he was negotiating with the Five Tribes in behalf of the southern government. This important guard duty having been accomplished Captain Lewis' command was merged into various Confederate organizations, Mr. Faulkner joining the regiment commanded by Colonel William Penn Adair, Stan Watie Brigade afterward famous as the Second Cherokee. With the exception of his participation in the battle of Pea Ridge his service was in the Indian Territory throughout the war and comprised garrisoning, scouting and harassing the enemy in the Indian country. In May, 1865, he was honorably discharged at Boggy Depot. returned home and resumed his station among the active, industrious and progressive young men of the tribe.
In April, 1867, Mr. Faulkner married Miss Rachael Adair, daughter of John T. Adair and Penelope Mayfield Adair, of a leading Cherokee family. He fixed his home near Hanson, engaged in the cattle business and became interested, active and prominent in Cherokee politics. Allying himself early with the Downing party, he served two years in the council, eight years in the senate and from December, 1897, to June, 1898, was a delegate to Washington, representing Cherokee interests before Congress and in the government departments. In his capacity of assistant chief he has been an important agent in the legal dissolution of tribal relations, in the allotments in severalty and the organization of his people along modern political lines. Personally he is a Democrat, and he is a stockholder in the Star-Gazette, the party organ at the county seat. He has also been a leader in both Masonry and Odd Fellowship, having long served as treasurer of his lodge in the former order and been an active member of the Eastern Star. He is past noble grand of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and connected with its auxiliary society. His religious faith is that of Methodism, and he has the merited respect of several generations of Oklahoma settlers.
In the year 1899 Mr. Faulkner suffered the loss of his faithful wife, after a wedded comradeship of more than thirty-one years. The children born to their marriage were: John W., still a resident of Hanson; Frank T., who married Callie Mitchell and is a farmer near that place; David J., who married Jennie Foreman and also resides near Claremore; Vinnie, who successively married George Curtis and L. T. Gilbert, of Sequoyah County, Mr. Curtis having died in 1901; Lydia, who became the wife of Jacob Wright; Bertha L., who is a member of the parental home; Henry I., who married Della Twist; Sallie M., who became Mrs. Wilford Alford; and Penelope A. Faulkner, also at home. In 1900 Mr. Faulkner married as his second wife Miss Emma Winford, a white lady of strong character and attractions, and the three children of their union are Wille R. and Winnie L. (twins) and Hastings M. Faulkner.
ISAAC A. JACOBS
HE is one of the leading farmer citizens of Sequoyah County, and has been identified with the political life and material affairs of this vicinity for many years. He is of Choctaw nativity, having been born near the old village of Scullyville January 26, 1854.
His father was Samuel J. Jacobs, a Choctaw who was in the exodus from Mississippi to the Indian Territory and settled on the site of the present village of Braden, where he was killed in 1863 during the Civil war troubles. He was a farmer and stockman. His wife was Celia Belvin, also a Mississippi Choctaw, who died in 1867. Their children were: Isaac A.; Willis F., deceased; and Matilda, who married R. B. Daugherty and lives in Roff, Oklahoma. By a previous marriage Samuel Jacobs has two daughters: Elizabeth Quinton, who lives near Quinton, Oklahoma; and Narcissa Fargo, of Muldrow.
Isaac A. Jacobs, after the death of his mother, went to live with his half-sister, Narcissa Fargo, at Muldrow, and grew to manhood there, acquiring only a meager education from the local schools. He gained experience and skill in farming and stock raising, and about the date of his first marriage located on the site of Muldrow and has lived there ever since. The railroad had not been built to Muldrow at that time, and Fort Smith was the regular market and town community for this section. Mr. Jacobs and family being among the Indian allottees, they have taken their lands chiefly at the Muldrow townsite, and have a tract of real estate that is valuable not only for agriculture but has commercial possibilities. Other lands to complete the family allotment were taken near Lindsay in the Chickasaw country.
In Indian politics Mr. Jacobs was identified with the national party, and was an influential man in the Sequoyah district. He was twice chosen district judge, served two years in the senate, and later as a member of the council assisted in arranging for the big Cherokee payment. Since statehood he has allied himself with the Republican party, and in 1908 was elected by four hundred and sixteen majority as the county representative in the legislature. He served on the committees of labor and arbitration, birds, fish and game, and some others. He secured the passage in the house of a measure giving Muldrow sessions of the county court, but the bill failed to become a law because the senate took no action.
In 1876 Mr. Jacobs married Miss Amanda Pettit. She died in 1880, without surviving children. In 1892 he married Lizzie M. Swimmer, daughter of George W. Swimmer, a Cherokee. Their children are: Beulah M., Isaac W., Nit a and Alice R.
ANDREW J. KENNEDY
HE has been identified with the commercial life of the town of Vian since 1898. In the conduct of his business he has won the confidence of a large trading public. He handles all the goods and implements in common use in a farming community, and his resources are ample for the conduct of both a credit and a cash business. His establishment is one of the central marts for the mercantile and agricultural trade of this vicinity.
He was born in Shelby County, Indiana, January 24, 1862. His father was H. K. Kennedy, a physician, who died at St. Louis in 1898, aged sixty-two. He was a native of Pennsylvania and was a soldier in the Union army. The mother was Louisa Trimble, who died in Shelby County, Indiana, in 1864. There was one other child, William H., now a resident of Colorado.
Mr. Kennedy was educated in St. Mary's College, Kansas, and in Carlton College, at Bonham, Texas, and for two years was employed in the printing business. He then became a clerk in the store of Thomas Scales at Wetumka, Indian Territory, and after a year began teaching among the Seminoles and Creeks at Mekusukey, continuing in this way about two years. He had come to Indian Territory in 1884, when twenty-two years old, and after this experience as clerk and teacher his next enterprise was a partnership mercantile business in the Chickasaw Nation, then began trading among the Pottawatomies at Sacred Heart Mission, and when forced to discontinue on account of a fire he engaged with the surveying corps for the Choctaw railroad. In 1890 he entered the store of F. B. Severs at Okmulgee and was with him seven years, during the last three years being manager of the business. After a partnership for a year with P. K. Morton he withdrew in order to identify himself with business at Vian. He became manager and bought a half interest in the old mercantile firm of Blackstone & Company at Vian, changing the name to the Vian Trading Company, the other owners being C. W. Turner and N. P. Blackstone of Muskogee. This is the enterprise which he has since built up to such importance in the commercial affairs of Vian and vicinity. He has in the meantime acquired considerable real estate and is actively interested in farming. He is Republican in politics, and affiliates with the orders of Masons, Knights of Pythias and Woodmen of the World.
In 1892 he married, at Wagoner, Miss Blanche Hereford, who died the following year, leaving a son, William Blanchard. In 1902 he married Maggie Walker, of the Cherokee Nation, who was born in Oklahoma.
ROBERT M. TERRELL
HE is an enterprising citizen of the Cherokee country. He was born in this vicinity February 18, 1872, his father being a white man and his mother a Cherokee.
Matthew R. Terrell, his father, was born in the south about 1845, and settled first in Texas, one of his brothers, Bud Terrell, living near Fort Worth some years ago. One of his sisters, Mrs. Hettie McIntosh, died in Arkansas, and another, Mrs. Simmons, died in the Chickasaw country, her son William Simmons living now in Memphis, Tennessee. Matthew R. Terrell settled in the Sequoyah district just after the Civil war, and was a farmer and stockman near Tishomingo, up to the time of his death in 1879. He married, in Sequoyah district, Mary Caldwell, of Cherokee family, who died in 1874. Her father was John Caldwell, a white man with a Cherokee wife, who settled in the Territory before the war. Matthew R: Terrell had two sons: George, who died unmarried; and Robert M.
Robert M. Terrell was brought up in the home of his grandmother, Adaline Terrell, in the vicinity of Webber's Falls and Vian. He obtained his education in the common schools and the Tahlequah Seminary, and just before he came of age he left school to become a ranchman and farmer on a modest scale. He gave all his attention to this business until 1902, in which year he and his wife became proprietors of a hotel business in Vian. However, he still retains most of his interests in the cattle industry.
He affiliates with the Masons and Odd Fellows, and is a Democrat in politics. In October, 1900, he married, at Vian, Mrs. Emma Wilson, daughter of Richard Anderson, a Cherokee citizen. They have one child, Emma, while Mrs. Terrell has two sons by her former marriage, who are now prosperously engaged in the management of their property allotments in Vian and vicinity.
S. H. MAYES
A prominent citizen and property owner in Pryor Creek, was born in 1845, in Indian Territory, and was reared on a farm. He was also a stockman. His father, Samuel Mayes was born and raised in Tennessee, and moving to Georgia he married there Nancy Adair, who became the mother of S. H. Mayes. From there they came to the Cherokee Nation in 1837, and lived in this country until his death in 1857.
Mr. and Mrs. Mayes had twelve children, all of whom lived to maturity. G. W. Mayes died in 1894, aged seventy-two years; J. T. was a captain in the Confederate army and died during the war; Francis 0. went to California in 1851 and never returned; James A. died in 1891, in the Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory; J. B. was elected the second time a chief of the Cherokee Nation, and died during his term, in 1891; Walter A. died in 1857, in the Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory; Rachel died in 1873, the wife of John W. Petty, leaving one son; W. H. is a farmer and lives near Pryor Creek; R. T. was killed during the war at Webber's Falls, being a private soldier; and S. H.
S. H. Mayes is president of the Mayes Mercantile Company, of Pryor Creek, and a director and stockholder of the First National Bank. He owns considerable city property and has outside land interests. During 1881-2 he held the position of sheriff in the Cooweeskoowee District. He was twice elected to the Cherokee senate held at Tahlequah, and in 1895 was elected a Cherokee chief, serving four years. Mr. Mayes married, in 1871, Martha E. Vann, daughter of David E. Vann, born in the Cherokee Nation, and one-eighth Indian. They had four children, three of whom survive, namely: W. L., engaged in the real estate business and lives in Muskogee; Joseph T., an M. D., lives in St. Louis, and M. Carrie married in 1908, C. Samuels and lives in Pryor Creek.
D. W. VANN
HE is a native of Indian Territory, and was born in the Delaware district, near the Arkansas line, October 12, 1845. His father moved to a farm on Grand River, near Pryor Creek when Mr. Vann was ten years of age, and he has since lived in the community. His parents died before the war, when he was thirteen years old. They had five daughters and six sons, of whom but one son and one daughter survive.
Mr. Vann engaged in farming and stock raising, and in 1861 enlisted in the Confederate army and during his service through the war he was in seven or eight hard fought battles, and was discharged in 1865. For ten years he was a member of the Cherokee Council, and served five terms of two years each as a member to revise the Cherokee Roll. He is prominent and popular among his fellow citizens, and belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Masonic order. He is an enterprising man of business, and is a stockholder in the Citizens' State Bank of Pryor Creek.
Mr. Vann married, in 1868, Tooker Ryley, who died one year later. He married (second) in 1870, Clarinda, daughter of Judge David Rose, born in 1852, near Pryor Creek, and they became the parents of children as follows: Ada, born December 7, 1879, married Jack McPherson in 1905, and they have two children, Aline and Bob Evans; D. W., born August 24, 1883, married Beatrice Alberger in 1904, and they have two children, Ermina and Edith; Allie A., born January 24, 1886, is unmarried and lives at home; William C., born August 23, 1888, is unmarried and lives in Montana; Ermina E., born April 6, 1892, lives at home. Mrs. Vann died in July, 1903.
HON. HARRY B. BEELER
State senator from the twenty-seventh district of Oklahoma, is one of the leading business and real estate men of Checotah and that part of the state. He comes of one of the oldest and best known families of Knox County, Indiana, and was born at Vincennes, on the 29th of August, 1875, a son of James C. and Sarah (Reel) Beeler. Mr. Beeler is of Scotch-Irish parentage and ancestry, the pioneer western members of the family migrating from the Old Dominion to the country beyond the Ohio river in 1790, while Indiana was still a part of the Northwest territory. They settled within the present limits of Knox County, and the family graveyard near Vincennes indicates deaths among the members as early as 1798, two years before Indiana became a separate territory. Thomas Beeler, a prominent and energetic representative, was the first sheriff of Knox County, and up to the present time no one has dishonored the family name; most of its members have attained both honor and prominence in their home communities. James C. Beeler, the father of Harry B., was a pioneer and leading grain dealer and elevator man of Vincennes, but at the outbreak of the. Civil war enlisted in the Thirty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and at the close of hostilities had risen, through bravery and military efficiency, to the grade of captain. He was twice wounded at the battle of Shiloh, but otherwise escaped injury. At the close of the war he returned to Vincennes, and continued in the grain business until his death in 1896. His wife had died in 1893, the mother of three sons-James, who died in 1886; H. B., of this sketch; and Thomas C., now chief clerk of the board of affairs of Oklahoma.
Harry B. Beeler received his early education in his native city, and afterward took a commercial course at the Washington (Indiana) Business College, from which he graduated at the age of eighteen. Soon afterward, in 1894, he became a bookkeeper for the old and popular Patterson Mercantile Company of Muskogee, and he was subsequently made manager of the cotton and hardware departments of the Spaulding Hutchinson Mercantile Company, continuing with the concern altogether for about eight years. In 1905 he commenced his successful career in the real estate business. Mr. Beeler's interest and activity in politics are inherited traits, and soon after coming to the Indian Territory, as a young man who had not yet attained the dignity of a voter, commenced to study the situation. Not long after reaching his majority he began to take a modest hand himself and was soon a Republican leader in his locality. His election to the state senate in the fall of 1907 was a forcible demonstration of his strength, as he was sent to the upper house by a majority of thirteen hundred and twenty-six from a district which during the previous year had chosen a Democrat by nearly his own majority. When the legislature was convened in 1908 he was also elected the minority leader by the Republican caucus of the senate, and filled that position with the readiness and ability of a veteran parliamentarian. Mr. Beeler is also a leading fraternalist of the state; a prominent Elk of Muskogee Lodge No. 517, and a thirty-second degree Mason, belonging to Albert Pike Lodge of Perfection, No. 2, of South McAlester, and a Shriner belonging to Indian Temple of Oklahoma City. In 1899 he married Miss Laura Faulkner, of Rolla, Missouri, daughter of James D. and Frances (McDermott) Faulkner, her father being a leading citizen of that place. Mr. and Mrs. Beeler have one child, Frances. and both parents are members of the Episcopal church.
GEO. W. FIELDS, Jr.
The first register of deeds of Delaware County, Oklahoma, was born in Delaware County, July 10, 1882, and received his education in the public schools of the Cherokee nation and the Cherokee National Male Seminary at Tahlequah, from which he graduated on May 28, 1902. Before his election to his present office he taught school five years, and became an extensive land owner. His father was born in Tennessee May 1, 1836, and was an emigrant to Oklahoma when it was a wilderness; he is a farmer, and was for two terms a member of the Cherokee National Council, but on account of his advanced age he does not now take an active part in politics-a Democrat in principle. His mother was born in Delaware County in 1854, and both now reside in Oklahoma. The father served in the Confederate army through the Civil war, a member of General Stand Waties' famous Cherokee Brigade. They had seven sons and five daughters, namely: George W., Freeman, Thomas, Mack, Samuel, Jeff and Perry, all living in Oklahoma; Susan, who married C. F. Covey, a ranchman and an extensive land-owner living in Mexico; Laura, who married H. A. Wilson, a farmer of Oklahoma; Bertha, single, living in Oklahoma; Addie, who died in 1906; and Minnie, unmarried, living near Grove, and a member of the 1909 class of the Grove High School.
Geo. W. Fields; Jr., is a three-eighths Cherokee. He is a member of the Masonic order, the Modern Woodmen of America, the W. 0. W., the A. H. T. A., and the Worthy Patron of the Order of the Eastern Star in his home lodge at Grove. He has a large circle of friends and takes an active interest in social and political matters. He married, in 1904, Jennie Glass, a teacher in the public schools and the female seminary at Tahlequah, Oklahoma; they have no children. She was born September 9, 1882, in Oklahoma, and her father, born in 1826 in Tennessee, immigrated to Oklahoma in 1836, and he died in 1903. He was a farmer, and for eight years a member of the Cherokee National Council; he was a soldier in the Civil war and served four years in the Union army as captain of the advance guard under General Blunt. His wife was born in 1854, in Iowa, and now resides in Rogers County, Oklahoma. Besides Mrs. Fields their children were: Anna, who married Jesse Hodge, an Oklahoma farmer; Ella, who married J. Vaught, an Oklahoma farmer; Myrtle, unmarried and living in Oklahoma, a teacher in the schools of her state; and John, also unmarried and a resident of Oklahoma. Mrs.
Fields holds a grammar certificate from the State Board of Education, and taught for over seven years. She is well fitted by education for this particular work.
J. WAYNE HENSLEY, M. D.
One of the able representatives of the medical profession in the state of Oklahoma is Dr. Hensley, who is now virtually retired from active work as a physician and surgeon, owning to the exigent demands placed upon his time and attention by the duties of his executive office as cashier of the First National Bank of Porter, Wagoner County, in which thriving town he was the first settler and to the upbuilding and civic progress of which he has contributed in generous measure.
Dr. Hensley is a native of the state of Arkansas, having been born in Franklin County, on the 23d of November, 1867, and being a son of William W. and Sarah A. (Jackson) Hensley, both of whom were born and reared in Tennessee, whence they removed to Arkansas in the pioneer epoch in the history of that state. There William W. Hensley became a planter and also operated a mill, and he is one of the prominent and influential citizens of the county of Washington, where he has long maintained his home. During the Civil war he was for some time in the service of the United States government, and after the integrity of the Union had been perpetuated through the great internecine conflict between the states, he resumed his interrupted operations as a planter. A number of years ago he removed from Arkansas to Wagoner County, Oklahoma, and here he erected the first gristmill in Coweta, in 1903. He then returned to his homestead in Arkansas, the same being located at Hinesville, Washington County. His first wife, the mother of him whose name initiates this article, died in 1899, and of the five children the following brief record is entered: William B. is a resident of New Mexico; James A. is deceased; J. Wayne, of this sketch, was the next in order of birth; Dr. Elias 'T. is a successful physician and surgeon of Okmulgee, Oklahoma; and Della G. is the wife of John Ramsey, of Sulphur, Arkansas. After the death of his first wife the father contracted a second marriage, of which no children have been born.
Dr. J. Wayne Hensley duly availed himself of the advantages of the common schools of his native state, and thereafter was for two years a student in the University of Arkansas. In 1889 and 1890 he was a student in the Memphis Hospital Medical College, at Memphis, Tennessee, in which well ordered institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1898, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. In the meanwhile Dr. Hensley had come to the section of Oklahoma, with whose interests he is now identified. In 1892 he took up his residence in the Creek Indian reservation of the Indian Territory, and he became physician and principal of the Wetumpka National Boarding School, located at Wetumpka, Oklahoma. He held this position during one term and then located at Choska, in the Creek Nation, where he entered upon the active practice of his profession, though not yet a graduate physician. He had studied medicine under effective preceptorship, with two courses of lectures, and was well qualified for his chosen work prior to entering the medical school from which he was finally graduated. The Doctor engaged in the general practice of his profession at Choska, which was then one of the best inland towns of the Creek Nation, and there he also engaged in the general merchandise business. He was successful both in his professional and business operations, and continued his residence in Choska until 1902, when he removed to Porter, with whose upbuilding he has been most prominently identified. At the time when he located here the railroad had been completed through the embryonic village, which was then indicated by only one small building, in which the Porter Enterprise was published. No railroad station had been erected or station agent appointed, and no postoffice had been established. The two railroad section houses were located just outside the present; corporate limits of the town, which had just been platted. Dr. Hensley was the first physician to take up residence in the town, and his aggressive policy and public spirit have been important factors in the work of progress and material upbuilding which have made Porter one of the thriving and attractive little cities of the new commonwealth of Oklahoma. He organized the first bank in the village, but eventually sold his interest in the institution, which was succeeded by the present Porter State Bank. In 1905 Dr. Hensley effected the organization of the First National Bank of Porter, of which he was the first president and of whose executive affairs he was long the head, being until recently incumbent of the office of cashier. The bank was incorporated with a capital stock of twenty-five thousand dollars, and it now controls a large and substantial business, having a nice surplus fund, and being one of the leading financial institutions of this section of the state. Dr. Hensley retired from the practice of his profession upon the organization of this bank, to whose affairs, in connection with other business and capitalistic interests, he afterward gave his attention. But on November 16, 1909, he sold his interest in the First National Bank at Porter to take the position of cashier of the Farmers' National Bank, organized at Okmulgee, Oklahoma, with a capital of fifty thousand dollars. He leaves the First National Bank after five years' service with over one hundred thousand dollars deposited and eighty thousand cash on hand, and with a good surplus.
In 1901 Dr. Hensley secured from the Indians the first large agricultural land lease gained by any white man except those who wished to utilize the land for grazing purposes. He leased five thousand acres, including the site of the present town of Porter, and running west to Red Bid, and he paid the Indians an annual cash rental, besides which he agreed to erect on each quarter section of land a house and to dig a well. The lease was issued for a period of five years, and was twice renewed, as the government would not sanction the transaction; on each renewal of lease the acreage rental was increased. Town sites were located and platted. He brought a large amount of land under effective cultivation and did much to demonstrate the fine agricultural advantages of this section. In 1901 he had over two thousand acres in cotton and the greater portion of the remaining land was devoted to corn. He later rented much of his land to the Choska Trading Company.
Dr. Hensley gives a stalwart allegiance to the Republican Party and has long been an influential figure in its councils in Oklahoma. While a resident of Choska he was president of the first Republican club organized in that section and he also served as postmaster of the village. He was a delegate to the first convention in favor of single statehood for Oklahoma, held at Muskogee, and was also a member of the last delegation which labored so effectively for the same object at Oklahoma City. He was chairman of the Wagoner delegation to the Republican state convention in 1901, and is one of the party leaders in his county, even as he is one of the best known and most popular citizens. Dr. Hensley is affiliated with Muskogee Lodge No. 28, Free and Accepted Masons; Wagoner Chapter, No. 83, Royal Arch Masons; and Porter Lodge, No. 177, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Both he and his wife are zealous members of the First Baptist church of Porter, to whose support they have contributed in liberal measure.
In 1896 Dr. Hensley was united in marriage to Miss Gertrude Hunter, daughter of Joseph and Louise (Leslie) Hunter, honored residents of Franklin County, Arkansas, where Mr. Hunter is a representative farmer. Dr. and Mrs. Hensley became the parents of four children, of whom three are living-T. Wayne, Lucile and Mildred G. Hunter B. died on the 14th of October, 1898, at the age of fourteen months.
WILLIAM M. GIBSON
A man of many talents, highly endowed with the gift of push and determined spirit characteristic of the successful American citizen of today, William M. Gibson of Wagoner has for many years been an important factor in advancing the material prosperity of the Indian country, contributing to its industrial interests and gaining for himself an honorable position among the useful and valuable residents of the new state. A merchant, a miller and a mechanic, he never allowed anything to escape his observation which would improve his business methods, and during his active career he has accumulated a goodly share of this world's wealth.
A son of James M. Gibson, he was born October 5, 1851, in Pulaski County, Missouri. His grandfather, John C. Gibson, who was of Irish lineage, was an early settler of middle Tennessee, and there married Miss Mary M. Lane, who was of Welsh descent. They became the parents of seven children, as follows: Lane, Sophia Jane, James M. William, Louis, Sarah C. and Mary Ann. John C. Gibson moved from Tennessee to Burnett County, Texas, in 1853, where he died a few years later. Mary M. Gibson, his wife, died in Arizona a few years past, at the age of ninety-two years.
Lane Gibson died in Arizona a few years past at a ripe old age; Sophia Jane married Louis Dunken and died at Dixon, Missouri, several years ago; William is still living in Arizona; Sarah C. married John Bacus and died in Blanco County; Mary Ann married Louis Green and died in Uvalde County; and Louis died in Blanco County.
Born in Middle Tennessee in 1830, James M. Gibson acquired a liberal education when, and just after attaining his majority, he joined issues with the pioneers of the Lone Star state, settling first in what is now Blanco County but afterwards becoming a resident of Gainesville. He was a cattle raiser and dealer, and when the Civil war was declared had made a good start in his career. The Confederacy then needing men of brawn and brain, he joined the ranks of the volunteer Texas troops and was engaged in the field against the Union forces until the last year of the struggle. His command was then sent to protect the frontier settlers from the depredations of the Indians, and in an engagement with them on the Concho he with others of the troops was slain, in January, 1864, while yet in manhood's prime. James M. Gibson married Miss Polly Atkinson, a daughter of Steven C. Atkinson, a native of Virginia, who was born, raised and married near Blue Mound, Virginia; then moved to Kentucky, where the most of his family was born; then to Pulaski County, Missouri, where James M. Gibson and Polly were married; then to Cooke County, Texas, where he died. He was a mechanic, very proficient in combined trades, and was for many years a prominent citizen. He was a man of much strength of character, influential in public life, and an active member of the Whig party. Of the union of James and Polly Gibson there were four children, namely: William M., the subject of this sketch; Frances, who married Elijah Ware, and died in Cooke County, Texas; John C., of Porum, Oklahoma; and Eliza, wife of Monroe Wilson, of Webber's Falls. After some years of widowhood Mrs. Gibson married H. B. Wooton, by whom she had three children, namely: Isaac N., of Wagoner; Obadiah, of Rex, Oklahoma; and Columbus N., of Muskogee. Mrs. Wooton died in Cooke County, Texas, in 1894.
But an infant when his parents moved to Texas, William M. Gibson was brought up in Cooke County, where he had but meager educational advantages, the old Dye school house being his alma mater. Marrying when young, he began life with no other assets than willing hands, a courageous heart, and a resolute spirit, his outfit for housekeeping being at that time too limited to be dignified with the name of utensils, even knives and forks being conspicuous by their absence. He sturdily maintained his independence, however, never resorting to wage earnings, but working first and last for Gibson, being conscious of the advantages of so doing from the start. Buying land on credit in Cooke County, Texas, he was there employed in agricultural pursuits until 1879, when he bought and moved to Wolf Creek the old Burrows and Gordon mill and gin, which he operated for three years, then moved to Collinsville, Grayson County, Texas, where he bought the old Elijah Miller grist mill and gin, which he operated for several years, the latter part of the time being also engaged in mercantile pursuits.
Coming from there to Indian Territory in 1892, Mr. Gibson brought with him considerable wealth which he had amassed in Texas, and established himself at Webber's Falls as a general merchant. There he built up an extensive business, that city being one of the chief marts of trade for a large area of tributary country; his operations were very successful. In 1900 Mr. Gibson turned over the management of his mercantile house in that city to his sons, and five years later sold out to them and has since devoted his energies to his interest in Wagoner. When in 1899 Mr. Gibson became a resident of this place the town was of as much importance as any other town of the several Nations and gave to the possessors of its site as brilliant a promise of a prosperous future. Mr. Gibson here established a general store, and was actively engaged in business until 1901. He has made valuable investments in real estate, has erected cottages and business blocks, as a builder and promoter being prominent and influential. He has erected a grist mill and now deals in farm implements and machinery. Mr. Gibson has inherited to a marked degree the mechanical talent of his maternal grandfather, and is equally skillful in the use of carpenters' tools, the plumber's wrench or the mason's trowel.
Mr. Gibson had been twice married. He married first in Gainesville, Texas, on April 23, 1872, Miss Louisa Tully a daughter of John E. Tully, a Cherokee. She died in Collinsville, Texas, in 1883, leaving the following named children: Anola J., wife of J. D. Canary, now living in Caney, Kansas, and extensively engaged in the banking business. They have four children, Pauline, Cecile, Harry and Elmira. James E., of Wagoner, married Miss Kitty Sanlin and had two children, Ruth and Mary. William M., Jr., of Webber's Falls, married Miss Minnie Buchanan, who died in Fort Smith, Arkansas, leaving one child, Hazel. M. W. Gibson, of the firm of Gibson Brothers of Webber's Falls, married Sallie Jenings, a Cherokee, and has one child, Marion Wesley. Minnie Lee died at Webber's Falls at the age of sixteen years. Nettie is the wife of Homer Ellington, a prosperous merchant of Wagoner, and they have two children, Elmo and Morie. Mr. Gibson married (second) at San Antonio, Texas, October 28, 1889, Miss Sallie Bugg, who comes of German ancestry, and they have one child Cassie Gibson. Reared in the Democratic faith, Mr. Gibson in his early years was not infrequently a delegate to party conventions in Texas, and as such helped nominate James S. Hogg for governor of that state. At Webber's Falls he held various public offices. His ideas of governmental policy have since radically changed, and he is now a stanch supporter of the principals of the Republican party. Fraternally he is a Royal Arch Mason, and has attended the sessions of the territorial grand lodge, and is also a Knight of Pythias.
SAMUEL C. PLATT
HE IS of Grove, was born August 16, 1855, near Oil City, Clarion County, Pennsylvania. His great-grandfather on his father's side, James Platt, emigrated from the northern part of Ireland in 1793 and landed at Halifax, Nova Scotia, from which place he traveled through the wilderness to Clarion County, Pennsylvania, and there lived to be one hundred and four years of age. He was a farmer, and his son James, born in Pennsylvania June 8, 1793, was a soldier in the war of 1812, being with the Pennsylvania troops at the battle of Lake Erie on September 10, 1813. He was a farmer, and is buried near Salem, in Clarion County; his son George, father of Samuel C. Platt, was born November 4, 1827, and engaged in the lumber business. He received his education in the public schools. He died in October, 1899, and is buried at Greenfield, Missouri. George Platt's mother was Rebecca Ritchie, and he married Matilda Culbertson, born in Clarion County. Pennsylvania, December 25, 1829, and now living with a daughter, Mrs. P. T. Tanner, in Lincoln, Nebraska. Besides Samuel C. they had six other sons and three daughters, as follows: Alexander H., who died in 1859; James S., in the real estate business in Los Angeles, California; Frank L., an editor living at Dinuba, California; George W., a contractor and builder at Algona, Iowa; W. W., a farmer of Greenfield, Missouri; Edwin C., a farmer and stockman near Pierre, South Dakota; Rebecca J., who died in 1859; Martha A., who died in 1860; and Alice M., who married P. T. Tanner and lives in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Samuel C. Platt removed with his parents to Illinois, landing at LaSalle on May 12, 1856. They made the entire journey by water, going on a lumber raft down the Clarion and Allegheny rivers to Pittsburg, thence by steamboat by way of the Ohio and Illinois rivers to LaSalle. They settled on a farm near LaMoille in Bureau County, remaining there until October of 1868, when the family started on a prospecting tour to Kansas. At this time Samuel was thirteen years of age, and he drove a wagon to Fort Scott, Kansas, but they were not pleased with the prospect and surroundings, and returned to Illinois, settling in Woodford County. In 1873 he studied telegraphy at St. Louis, and though he became proficient in it, he never practiced it. He began teaching school in Illinois in 1874, in which profession he remained some time. He continued teaching until 1889, and then removed to Kossuth County, Iowa, and became principal of schools at LuVerne in that state, remaining in that capacity two years, and then while at Lu Verne, and in company with Dr. George Lacy, engaged in conducting a newspaper, establishing the Des Moines Valley News. A short time after this he bought out the interest of his partner and conducted the paper two years independently. He then sold his interests and purchased the Winnebago Summit, at Forest City, which he conducted for over two years, and then removed to Iowa Falls, Iowa, and purchased the Iowa Falls Sentinel. In all these undertakings he met with flattering success, and he was a member of one of the large editorial associations of the west, holding several different offices it) the organization. He was a delegate to the National Editorial Association at Buffalo. New York, in 1901. Mr. Platt was never a seeker after office, but has taken an active part in political affairs and has worked with zeal for the interests of his party. He is a Republican and a great admirer of Abraham Lincoln and his creed, and has served as a delegate to many county and state conventions, having been reading clerk in the famous convention that first nominated Governor Cummins, of Iowa, in 1902.
After selling his Iowa newspaper Mr. Platt moved to Windsor, Missouri, where he lived five years. and in October, 1908, removed to Grove. Oklahoma, where he began dealing in real estate, but is now editor of the Delaware County News. He owns one of the finest residences in Grove, also several lots in the business portion of the city and valuable farm lands. He has been one of the most earnest workers of Grove for the advancement of the city. He is a popular and useful citizen, and universally liked and respected.
Mr. Platt married on December 18, 1881, Lillie B. Patterson, of Secor, Illinois, and they had two children, Leota B. and Verne H.; Leota, born September 10, 1884, was educated at Iowa Falls, and also took a course at the State Normal School, at Kirksville, Missouri. She resides at home, and is a teacher in the schools at Grove. Verne H. died at the age of eighteen months. Mr. Platt is a vigorous editorial writer, and in addition to his newspaper work he writes occasionally for the magazines in both prose and verse. He is an inveterate reader, has a remarkable memory and has the history of the United States at his tongue's end.
C. E. HERALD
A feed and produce dealer of Pryor Creek, was born at Akron in north central Indiana December 7, 1868, and received his education in the public schools of Beaver Dam, in the same state. His father, George W. Herald, was born in 1836, in Pennsylvania, moved from his native state to Ohio, and from there to Indiana, and was visiting in Pryor Creek when he died, on March 11, 1909. George W. Herald's wife, Mary C. Herald, was born in Ohio in 1835, and died in Indiana in 1894. Besides C. E. Herald, they had four sons and two daughters, namely: J. R. Herald, a farmer, formerly living in Oklahoma and now residing near Hope, Kansas; Samantha, married Arthur Smith and lives at Silver Lake, Indiana; E. W., a real estate dealer, of Indiana; W. N. died November' 19, 1885, in Indiana, near Akron; Charles C., died near Akron, Indiana, in 1892; and Ida M., married Arthur Barber, of Silver Lake, Indiana, where they reside.
Mr. Herald removed from Akron, Indiana, to Pryor Creek, Oklahoma, October 1, 1901, and there engaged in his present business, in which line he has met with success. He is honest and industrious, and by his fair dealings has won the respect and esteem of all who know him. He married Ida M.
Haney, of Silver Lake, Indiana, and their union has been blessed with two children, namely: Howard, born April 24, 1898, and Everett, born February 27, 1902.
One of the leading merchants of Porter, was born in Carroll County, Arkansas, in 1860, a son of David H. and Melissa (Mitchell) Garrett, natives of Tennessee and Alabama, respectively. Both came to Arkansas before their marriage, she with her parents and him alone, and they were married about 1858. He had been previously married to her sister and had three children, namely: Alvin C, deceased, whose family resides in Oklahoma; D. O, of Madison County, Arkansas; and Margaret, wife of J. B. Hudson, of Marble, Arkansas. By his second wife the following children were born, namely: Lou, of Huntsville, Arkansas, four years sheriff of the county; Roscoe, of Porter, Oklahoma, a hardware merchant; Irene, wife of Miles Terry, of Springfield, Missouri; Sidney, a banker of Fort Gibson; and Ida, wife of John Porter, of Porter, Oklahoma.
Wallace Garrett received his early education in the country schools in his native state, and at the age of seventeen years went to Texas, where he became engaged as a farm hand, and remained one year. He then located at Van Buren, Arkansas, and entered the employ of N. F. Cornelius, in the capacity of clerk in his dry goods store. He remained there and with P. Burman, of Fort Smith, three years. At this time he married and entered into farming and stock raising in Crawford County, Arkansas, where he remained until 1901, the date of his removal to Wagoner County, Oklahoma, then in the Creek Nation. He formed a partnership with L. Wright (mentioned further elsewhere in this work), and they remained together four years. In 1905 Mr. Garrett sold his interest to Mr. Wright and opened a general merchandise business for himself, carrying a stock of from sixteen to seventeen thousand dollars in value; he does the largest credit business of any merchant in Porter, his annual sales amounting to about one hundred thousand dollars, and he employs four clerks. His customers come from several miles around Porter.
Besides his mercantile interests Mr. Garrett leases land from the allottees, which he rents to good farmer tenants, and in this way has a good income. He also pays some attention to the buying and selling of all kinds of stock, and in all these ventures reaps well deserved success. He built the Clarksville Trading Company's big store in Porter while still a member of the firm, and afterwards erected his present commodious quarters and the post office building. He was the first president of the Farmers & Merchants Bank, which afterward became consolidated with the First National Bank.
Politically Mr. Garrett is an old-school Democrat, and he takes an active interest in the welfare and interest of his party. He takes an active interest in all things that tend to elevate or advance the condition of the county and state of his adoption. Mr. Garrett married, in 1884, Nora, daughter of Elisha and Sarah (Neal) Robinson, of Van Buren, Arkansas, and their children are: Charles F., connected with his father in mercantile business; Edna, attending business college at Muskogee; and J. Gould.
JAMES R. DAWSON
A large land holder living at Afton, was born in 1856, in Berryville, Arkansas, and came to Afton in 1888. He received his education in Clark's Academy, Missouri Medical College and in the Kentucky School of Medicine, and is a post graduate of the college at St. Louis, Missouri. Mr. Dawson's parents were born in Tennessee, his father, born in 1812, died August 17, 1886, in Berryville, Arkansas, and his mother died September 27, 1886. They were the parents of nine sons and six daughters.
Mr. Dawson built the first brick house in Afton it being three stories high and erected for the Dawson Hotel, now owned by him. He was the first president of the Afton State Bank. He is prominent in the affairs of the town, and is an enterprising, useful citizen. Mr. Dawson is well educated, and keeps himself informed on the important topics of the day. He is one of the representatives of the best class of citizens of the state.
Mr. Dawson married, on March 23, 1889, in Arkansas, Alice Ramsey, a resident of Arkansas, and they have four children, namely: Vinnie D., Ermine C., Ansel F. and E. Carlyle.
JOSEPH H. BUTLER
The well known and popular postmaster of Vinita, Craig County, has the distinction of having served in his present official capacity for eleven years, or nearly three full terms, a period of service rarely, if ever, equaled in the government postal department in the state of Oklahoma. He holds three commissions from two of our distinguished presidents, a fact redounding to his honor and credit. A native of Indiana, he was born, October 12, 1870, in Kokomo, where he lived for seven years.
H. H. Butler, father of Joseph H., was born, in 1842, in Indiana, in Howard County, where his parents located on coming north from North Carolina. He was of Quaker descent, and on account of his religious training did not serve in the Union Army during the Civil war. About 1849 he followed the march of civilization westward, and for a number of years resided in Sterling, Kansas. He is now an active and esteemed citizen of Miami, Oklahoma, where he was formerly deputy United States clerk. He has been twice married. He married first Mary Reese, a daughter of David Reese, a pioneer settler of Howard County, Indiana. She died in Kokomo, Indiana, in 1871, leaving two children, namely: Alva H., postoffice inspector at Seattle, Washington; and Joseph H., the subject of this sketch. He married for his second wife Mary Reece, whose name differed from that of his first in the spelling of one letter, only, and of this union two children also have been born, namely: Harland J., postmaster at Miami, Oklahoma; and Belle, wife of Charles Davis, of Oklahoma City.
Having completed his early studies in Sterling, Kansas, Joseph H. Butler afterwards attended the old Worcester Academy. Coming to Vinita in 1885 he was a clerk in a mercantile establishment until November 1, 1898, when he was appointed postmaster at Vinita, an office which he has since filled acceptably and ably. His first commission bears the signature of President McKinley, while those of 1902 and 1906 are signed by Theodore Roosevelt. Mr. Butler is a man of good business tact and understanding, and in addition to his official duties is a member of the real estate and loan firm of Butler & Benfoey, and of the firm of Butler & Byrs, managers of the Vinita Auditorium, likewise having other property interests in this part of the state.
On January 17, 1900, Mr. Butler married Fannie L. Byrd, who was born at Neosho, Missouri, a daughter of John W. and Alice (Sandidge) and to them one child has been born, namely: Joseph Byrd Butler, whose birth occurred May 18, 1908. Fraternally Mr. Butler is a Master Mason; a past grand of the Odd Fellows; and an esteemed and leading knight in the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
Back to Page 18
Back to Biographies