Oklahoma Genealogy Trails    
    A Proud Member of the Genealogy Trails Group
 

Oklahoma

The History of Oklahoma Biographies Vol. II
by Luther B. Hill
Page 20

HENRY E. RIDENHOUR

A cool, clearheaded man, fearless and daring, Henry E. Ridenhour, of Vinita, is widely known not only in his present capacity of sheriff of Craig County, but for his former services as deputy United States marshal and as chief of police in Vinita. A resident of this place since 1872, all of its earlier settlers have known him since his boyhood, and have followed his career through its vicissitudes of good and ill fortune, having known him as boot-black, cowboy, mail carrier, ranchman, sportsman and gamester, and in his upward course through government and city service to his present position as the chief peace officer of one of the most populous and fertile counties of Oklahoma. A son of William Ridenhour, he was born, February 22, 1865, in Maries County, Missouri.

William Ridenhour, for many years a successful farmer in Maries County, Missouri, owing land on the Gasconade river, served in the Confederate army during the Civil war, and died soon after its close. As a result of the foraging of both armies during that conflict his family was left in reduced circumstances. In 1869 his widow, almost at her wit's end, loaded her few household goods and her children into a wagon and journeyed to Kansas. There she was kept busily employed at the washtub, her daughters in the meantime securing positions as table waiters at a hotel, and their combined earnings kept the family larder well supplied. After awhile the elder daughter clandestinely married, and located in the new town of Vinita, Oklahoma, where the entire family soon followed her. Here Mrs. Elizabeth (Mears) Ridenhour, widow of William Ridenhour, died in 1886. Eight children were born to her and her husband, namely: James H., deceased; Laura, deceased; one who died in infancy; John, of Bells, Texas; Emma, deceased, married Dr. Foreman; Mrs. Lou Payne, deceased, formerly of Vinita; Martha, now deceased, married John Skinner, of Vinita; and Henry E., the special subject of this brief personal narrative.

Vinita was a mere hamlet when the Ridenhour family first came here, in 1872, with scarce any educational advantages, the only school for the white intruders being one held in the Congregational church. There Henry E. Ridenhour, who lived for a time with the pastor, Rev. J. N. Scruggs, gained his best knowledge of books. He became a bread winner very early in life, among his youthful occupations having been boot blacking, table waiter and chore boy on a ranch. He finally drifted into ranch work, being employed for ten or more years in working for different ranchmen, including Charley McClelland and Nat Skinner. While yet a young man he was employed in the government service, carrying the mail from Vinita to Tahlequah; to Maysville, Arkansas; to Baxter Springs. Kansas; and to Las Vegas, New Mexico. While serving as a cowboy Mr. Ridenhour was brought into contact with men of indifferent character and reputation, and formed the habit of gaming. His good luck at cards encouraged him for a time to give up honest work, and match his prowess with other devotees of the game, and although known as a gamester by all of his acquaintances it is common knowledge that his dealings were ever fair and above board, he having never stooped to dishonor to win a pot or a friend. At the land drawing in the Comanche country he won a claim and camped on it, it being the present townsite of Snyder, but subsequently, by a contest in the courts, he was cheated out of his possessions.

Under the Cleveland administration Mr. Ridenhour was deputy United States marshal, under Marshal Yons, of Ft. Smith, Arkansas, and served the ensuing five years. The following four years he was engaged in the ice business at Vinita, and then removed to the Comanche country. Subsequently returning to Vinita, he was elected chief of police for Vinita, and held the office four years. Statehood approaching at the end of that time, he, with four others, went before the Democrats as candidate for the nominee for sheriff, won the nomination, and at the polls was elected by a majority of two hundred and forty votes.

On July 22, 1887, Mr. Ridenhour married, in Vinita, Mamie Brunett, a daughter of A. G. Brunett, formerly of McDonald County, Missouri, and into their home six children have made their advent, namely: Felix B., Emmet, Guy, Pansy, Henry E., Jr., and Jeanette. Mr. Ridenhour has erected a pleasant residence for himself and family in Vinita, and is proprietor of "Sportsman Park." Fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.


DR. CAMPBELL R. HOLBROOK

HE occupies a leading place among the residents of Payne County, widely known as a citizen, farmer and physician. Born in Lawrence County, Kentucky, in 1830, he is a son of Ambrose and Nancy (Elam) Holbrook, who were born respectively in North Carolina and in Virginia. They were married in the latter commonwealth, and moving to Kentucky about 1818 they were among the first settlers of what is now Lawrence County, and at that time Kentucky formed a portion of Virginia and was inhabited principally by Indians and wild game. Entering land at his new home Ambrose Holbrook opened one of the first farms in what afterward became known as Lawrence County, and he was also one of the first men in the state to plant an orchard. Although in constant danger from the Indians he never participated in any of their wars, and he was personally acquainted with Daniel Boone and others of the early Indian fighters and pioneers. The farm which he entered from the government in the early year of 1818 served as his home until his death, which occurred in 1858, and his wife died in the same year. They reared a family of six children, and the first born, Captain Ralph W. Holbrook, served as captain of Company A of the Fourth Kentucky Infantry under General Grant, and took part in the battle of Vicksburg, Mississippi, and many other important engagements of that war. He is deceased, and his family resides in Lawrence County, Kentucky. William R., also deceased, served with his brother in the Fourteenth Kentucky Infantry, and his family live in North Dakota, whither he had moved some time before his death. Ambrose M. has passed away, and his family resides on the old homestead in Kentucky. Louwisa and Unice, the two daughters of the family, are deceased.

Campbell R. Holbrook, the third born son in the above family, attained to manhood's estate on his father's farm and received his educational training in the old-time subscription schools of Lawrence County, which were held in primitive log cabin schools of the time and place. Assisting his father on the old homestead until attaining his twenty-eight years, he then began the study of medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. W. A. Tutt, and at the age of thirty engaged in active practice in Lawrence County. In the passing years he built up a large following in his chosen calling, and in those early days horseback riding was his principal mode of conveyance, he on many occasions having rode fifty miles and more, night or day in all kinds of weather, to visit a patient, and in exchange for his service he would often receive stock or any saleable article. Often these visits required some two or three days, and on one of these visits he rode thirty miles in the night to attend an obstetrical case, and on returning found a similar call awaiting him, and retracing his steps he traveled sixty miles in one night with the ground covered with ice and sleet. Dr. Campbell continued in this laborious practice until he finally left Kentucky in 1890. The period of the Civil war was his most trying time of all his professional career, for he was called upon to serve adherents of both political parties, but his generous treatment of his neighbors met with equal courtesy in return. Although the doctor never took sides with either of the opposing parties, his Whig sentiment? were widely known and he was opposed to secession, as were also his brothers.

In 1889 Dr. Holbrook went to Minnesota, and in 1890 came to Oklahoma and located twelve miles south of Stillwater, where he owns a splendid farm of one hundred and sixty acres. This property, for which he paid one thousand dollars, was unimproved at the time of purchase, but he has since placed the land under a splendid state of cultivation, and has otherwise improved it, has a good residence and out-buildings, and the estate is now worth many thousands of dollars. Dr. Holbrook is a pioneer in the raising and breeding of Poland China hogs, being at one time the largest raiser of this breed in the county. He continued the practice of medicine after coming to Oklahoma until 1900, when he retired from the practice to give his attention to his manifold farming interests, which by this time required his undivided attention. He moved to Stillwater in 1909, where he has a handsome cottage and where he and his wife will pass their declining years in quiet and rest.

Dr. Holbrook has been twice married, wedding for his first wife Mary A. Wilson, from Kentucky, a daughter of Jesse and Elizabeth (Strong) Wilson, and the six children of their union are: Cushingberry, the widow of Elbert Manious. of Kentucky, and she resides in Payne County, Oklahoma; Belle, deceased; Grant; Jesse, a farmer in Owsley County, Kentucky; Finley, deceased; and Dr. R. W., a practicing physician of Perkins. Mrs. Holbrook died some years ago, and the Doctor in 1872 married Fannie Holbrook, from North Carolina, a daughter of Ralph and Nancy (Spicer) Holbrook. This family was among the early settlers of North Carolina, and they are descended from three brothers who came from England, all teachers, and one located in Boston, another in Philadelphia and the third at Raleigh, North Carolina, and from the latter both the Doctor and Mrs. Holbrook are descended. Governor Holbrook, of Vermont, is also of this family, an uncle of the Doctor, and its representatives have included a number of notable teachers, especially the eastern branch of the family. Dr. R. W. Holbrook was a graduate of Holbrook College of Lebanon, Ohio. Ralph and Nancy (Spicer) Holbrook became the parents of ten children, all of whom lived to rear families of their own, and they are: Harding who resides at Trap Hill, North Carolina; James, deceased, whose family live at the old homestead in North Carolina; Jane, wife of Joshua Spicer, of that state; James, also of that state, a former member of its legislature and now holding a government position; Ralph and John, both of North Carolina; Joshua, deceased, whose family reside in North Carolina; Fannie, who became the wife of Dr. Holbrook; Betsy, wife of James M. Pruitt, of North Carolina; and Alice, wife of Millard Brown, of Virginia. The seven children born to Dr. and Mrs. Holbrook are: Mint, whose home is in Payne County; Mary J., the deceased wife of David Cundiff, of Oklahoma; Arthur, Walker and John, all Payne County farmers; and Nannie and Lilla. Mrs. Holbrook and her daughters are members of the Christian church. Dr. Holbrook has voted the Republican ticket since the formation of the party, and he stands at the head of the successful men of Payne County, honored for his sterling worth of character.


WILLIAM M. GIBSON, JR.

The state of Oklahoma has many retail mercantile establishments conducting operations upon a truly metropolitan scale, and among the prominent and successful concerns of this order is that conducted by the firm of Gibson Brothers at Webber's Falls, Muskogee County. Of this firm the subject of this review is the senior member, and he is known as a reliable and progressive business man of marked ability and as a citizen of the utmost loyalty and public spirit. He has contributed his quota to the progress and upbuilding of this favored section of the state and is well entitled to representation in this historical compilation.

Mr. Gibson is a native of the Lone Star state and a scion of one of its pioneer families. He was born in Cook County, Texas, in 1877, and is a son of William M. and Louisa (Tulley) Gibson, the former of staunch Scotch lineage and the latter of Scotch-Irish ancestry' with one-sixteenth infusion of Cherokee Indian blood on the maternal side. William M. Gibson, Sr., was born in Missouri, and his wife was born in Arkansas. He is a son of James Gibson, who was one of the early settlers of that state and who lost his life while serving as a Confederate soldier in the Civil war. William M. Gibson, Sr., was reared and educated in Texas, and became one of the early settlers of Grayson County, that state, from whence he later removed to Cook County. In the early days he owned and operated a flour mill in Grayson County, and the same secured its power from one of the old-time overshot water wheels which are now obsolete and practically unknown to the generation born since the Civil war. In 1882 Mr. Gibson engaged in the mercantile business at Collinsville, Texas, where he continued to reside until 1892, when he removed with his family to the Canadia District of the Cherokee nation, now a part of the state of Oklahoma. He took up his residence in Webber's Falls, which was then a small and insignificant village, and here established a general store, becoming one of the pioneer merchants of the place and building up a substantial business, in which he continued until 1899, when he was succeeded by his sons and removed to Wagoner, where he has since maintained his home. He was there engaged in the general merchandise business for some time and has since given his attention to the real-estate business, in which he has conducted extensive operations. He is known and honored as one of the substantial business men and influential citizens of Oklahoma.

William M. and Louisa (Tulley) Gibson became the parents of six children, namely. Nola, who is the wife of James D. Canary, of Caney, Kansas; James E., who is a representative business man of Wagoner, Oklahoma; William M., Jr., who is the immediate subject of this review; Marion W., who is junior member of the firm of Gibson Brothers, in which he is associated with William M., Jr.; Nettie, who is the wife of Homer Ellington, of Wagoner; and Minnie Gibson, deceased. The devoted wife and mother was summoned to the life eternal in 1883, and in 1891 the father contracted a second marriage, being then united to Miss Sallie Bugg, of San Antonio, Texas. They have one daughter, Cassie.

William M. Gibson, Jr., secured his educational discipline at Sherman, Texas, and Tahlequah, Oklahoma, and he early began to assist his father in the latter's business affairs. In 1898 he and his brother Marion W. succeeded to the mercantile business established by their father in Webber's Falls, and through their energy and progressive policy they have greatly expanded the scope and importance of the same, which now represents one of the leading mercantile enterprises of this section of the state. The large and well appointed establishment has numerous departments, devoted to dry-goods, groceries, clothing, boots and shoes, hardware, farming implements, etc., and the average stock carried represents an investment of about eighteen thousand dollars,-a fact that stands indicative of the magnitude of the business controlled by the firm, both of whose members command unqualified confidence and esteem in the community with whose varied interests they are closely identified. Besides giving their attention to this magnificent enterprise the Gibson Brothers are owners of a large amount of valuable realty in Muskogee County, where they have a number of well improved farms, devoted to diversified agriculture and stock-growing. Both brothers stand exponent of that progressive spirit and vital energy which have brought about the magnificent development of the fine new commonwealth of Oklahoma, and their aid and influence is given to all measures and enterprises which tend to advance the general welfare of the community. The subject of this sketch is a staunch supporter of the cause of the Democratic party, in whose ranks he has rendered effective service, though he has never had aught of aspiration for the honors or emoluments of public office. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist church in his home town and gives a liberal support to the various departments of its work.

In the year 1901 Mr. Gibson was united in marriage to Miss Minnie E. Buchanan, who was born and reared in Sherman, Texas, a daughter of John M. and A. A. (Pierce) Buchanan, early settlers of that state. Mr. Buchanan took up his residence in Sherman, Texas, in 1861, and he and his wife still maintain their home in that place. Mrs. Gibson was summoned to the life eternal on the 28th of November, 1908, and is survived by one daughter,-Hazel W.


HARRY L. SANDERS

In the ranks of that noble fraternity, the Knights of Pythias, no member is better known or held in higher esteem in Oklahoma than is Mr. Sanders, who is grand keeper of records and seals of the order for the state of Oklahoma and who has held other important stations in the fraternity, to the advancement of whose interests in this state he has contributed in most effective and generous measure. He maintains his home in Webber's Falls, Muskogee County, and is held in unqualified esteem in this community.

Mr. Sanders was born on a farm in Index township, Cass County, Missouri, on the 1st of February, 1870, and is a son of Joseph and Amanda (Scholl) Sanders. He passed his boyhood days on the home farm and was afforded the advantages of the public schools of his native county. At the age of sixteen years he began the study of telegraphy and in due course of time became a skilled operator. For several years he was engaged as telegraph operator for various railroad companies, and was stationed for intervals of greater or less duration at various points in Missouri, Kansas and Texas. He then turned his attention to the vocation of bookkeeping, at which he was employed in Kansas City for some time prior to his removal to Webber's Falls, Oklahoma, in 1897. In this place he assumed the position of bookkeeper in the mercantile establishment of William M. Gibson, and later he entered the employ of the Hayes Mercantile Company, holding the responsible position of bookkeeper for that mammoth firm until May, 1907, when he found it expedient to devote his time and attention to the affairs of the Knights of Pythias in an executive capacity. In May, 1904, he was elected grand keeper of records and seals of the Indian Territory grand lodge of the order, and in 1907, upon the consolidation of the grand lodges of Indian Territory and Oklahoma, was elected to his present office. When he was first elected to his office with the grand lodge of Indian Territory the Knights of Pythias had a total enrollment of four thousand nine hundred members in that jurisdiction, and Oklahoma claimed four thousand two hundred and sixty-two members. On the 1st of January, 1909, the combined enrollment for the consolidated jurisdiction showed a total of nine thousand nine hundred and thirty-nine. The financial affairs and general activities of the various subordinate lodges are in most favorable condition and there is a steady growth in the membership. Prior to assuming his present office Mr. Sanders had filled various other positions in the grand lodge, and he is at the present time keeper of records and seals and master of finance in Stand Watie Lodge, No. 128, the local organization of the order in Webber's Falls. He is a member of the Uniformed Rank of the Knights of Pythias, in which he holds the rank of colonel.

In politics Mr. Sanders is aligned as a staunch supporter of the cause of the Republican Party, and he is loyal and public spirited as a citizen, taking an active interest in local affairs-. He has served as a member of the board of aldermen of Webber's Falls and also as city recorder. Mr. and Mrs. Sanders are both members of the Methodist Episcopal church.

On the 5th of October, 1898, Mr. Sanders was united in marriage to Miss Lillian M. Boyd, a daughter of Andrew J. and Susan J. (Berry) Boyd, of Webber's Falls, and the two children of this union are winsome little daughters,-Thelma P. and Marguerite B.


DR. DAVID T. REECE

One of the oldest doctors and the second doctor in Braggs. was born in DeKalb County, Alabama, in 1861, and is a son of John and Elsie (Culpepper) Reece, both natives of Tennessee. His maternal and paternal ancestors came from England before the Revolution and settled in the southern colonies.

John Reece and family moved to. Alabama. He was a farmer and millwright, and during the Civil war did considerable mill work for the United States government. He died in the state of his adoption in 1906, at the age of seventy-five years, and his wife died in 1895. They reared a family of nine, namely: May, the wife of J. L. Mason, of Alabama; Dr. D. T.; Jennie, the wife of L. W. Erp, of Tennessee; J. C, of Wood County, Texas; J. M., deceased, who left children in Alabama; Ella, deceased, the wife of James Costello, of Alabama; Josephine, deceased; and two others.

David T. Reece received his education at Andrews Institute near Lebanon, Alabama, and after finishing the literary course attended the medical department of the Grant Institute at Chattanooga, Tennessee, and in 1901 graduated from the medical department of the Arkansas University at Little Rock. Dr. Reece located at Fort Gibson in 1893, and practiced there until 1895, when he removed to Braggs. After graduating from the course in the Arkansas University in 1901 he settled in New Mexico, and in 1905 located at Hope, where he remained eighteen months and returned then to Braggs, where he has since resided. He has established a large practice, and has also engaged in business in the line of drugs and general merchandise.

When Dr. Reece first settled in Braggs it was in Indian Territory, and was quite a different kind of town from the present one. HP had always to carry his medicine chest with him, and it was a common occurrence for him to take a horseback ride of twenty miles to reach a patient. During his early stay in Fort Gibson he knew all the so-called "bad men" of the locality, and was frequently called upon to treat some of them, even among the worst and most dangerous, but he never shirked his duty as he understood it. and stood ready to relieve the sick and injured wherever and whenever called upon to do so. Among these men was Mose Miller, a full-blooded Indian, credited with killing a large number of men, and also engaged in highway and train robbery. Another was Verdigris Kid, who was killed in Braggs while robbing a store. He also treated Will Nail, half Indian and half negro, a desperate character in the way of murder and also robbery. Although going among these and many others of a similar occupation and character Dr. Reese never carried a gun, although traveling through the strongholds of robbers and the worst class of humanity, for they never molested him, both whites and Indians understanding perfectly his attitude toward all the people. He is a kindly and charitable man, and belongs to the Fraternal Aid Society. Politically he is a Republican, and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

Dr. Reece married, in Alabama, in 1878, Mattie, daughter of R. P. and A. E. (Stancil) Sims, natives of Georgia and Alabama. They reared a family of seven children, only one of whom resides in Alabama; the others have scattered to various sections of the country. Dr. and Mrs. Reece are parents of children as follows: Arra; Edgar, who married Mary Coon; Guy, who married Susa Pierce; Webster; Vena; and Jessie.


EDWIN B. SMITH

HE WAS justice of the peace, and is a native of Muskogee, born in the Canadian District (so-called at that time) May 8, 1878. He is a son of McCoy and Jennie (Butler) Smith, both natives of the territory and of English and Cherokee descent. McCoy Smith was a farmer and stock raiser, and served four years in the Indian Ridge Regiment of Indian Artillery, under command of General Stand Watie. He took part in numerous engagements, taking part in the Battle of Nelson's Creek or Pea Ridge. Mr. Smith was sergeant and gunner of his regiment. He was only fourteen years of age when he entered the army and eighteen when he returned home, and he then engaged in farming. He still resides on a farm four miles west of Braggs. He and his wife reared the following children: Edwin B., Walter, Juliet, Wilson, Mannie, Junie and Jennie. Walter and Mannie are engaged in the livery business in Grove, Delaware County, and Wilson is County Judge of the same county.

Edwin B. Smith was educated at the Cherokee Seminary at Tahlequah, from which he graduated June 24, 1896; since this time he has been chiefly engaged in farming, although he was for some time engaged in political matters. He is a strong Democrat and was chairman of the Democratic Central Committee of Muskogee County. He served two terms as mayor of Braggs, being the first to hold that office. He was elected justice of the peace of Brewer township on September 17, 1907.

In his boyhood Mr. Smith came into contact with many "bad men" of the district, and distinctly remembers their doings. Among these men were notably Harry Starr, a noted bandit and stage robber who was sent to the penitentiary and pardoned afterward by President Roosevelt. He afterwards engaged in the same outlawry and is now at large, with a price on his head. Another notable character was Verdigris Kid, who with a man named Sanders was killed while trying to rob the store of Thomas Madden. Also Mose Miller, who killed Mr. Madden, the proprietor of the same store, and is now serving a life sentence for murder and robbery.

Mr. Smith is universally esteemed and respected, and has a large circle of friends. He belongs to Braggs Lodge Number 283, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and to Fort Gibson Lodge Number 113, Knights of Pythias. He is secretary of the Masonic lodge and has also served as its treasurer.


RICHARD FORD ALLEN

The principal manager of the large mercantile house of Allen & Mayer Brothers, the largest merchandise concern in Vian. The name has been notable for a number of years through its connection with the business affairs of western Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma, the family having moved from Mississippi to Van Burcn, Arkansas, in 1881.

The grandfather, Richard H. Allen, was a general officer in the Confederate service. was a native of Virginia, and died at Corinth, Mississippi, in the seventies. He married Mary Ford, and their children were: Captain W. B., Daniel, Eugene, Hortense, Mary and Captain Richard B.

Captain Richard B. Allen, the father, was born in 1835, in Mississippi, was liberally educated, and was a captain of Mississippi troops during the Civil war. About 1861 he settled at Van Buren, Arkansas, where he followed contracting and building, and during his later years engaged in the narrower industrial field of managing a small farm. He died in April, 1908. He was a Democrat politically, was affiliated with Masonry for fifty years, and for a similar length of time had been an active member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. He married Adella E. Rose, who still lives in Van Buren. She was a daughter of William Rose, of Pulaski, Tennessee, a merchant before the war. The Captain and Mrs. Allen were the parents of: William B., a druggist of Hot Springs, Arkansas; Mrs. T. C. Potts, of Sheffield, Alabama; Robert P., one of the railroad commissioners of Arkansas; Richard F., who is mentioned below; F. P., a merchant of Bokoshe, Oklahoma; Dan M., of Fayetteville, Arkansas; Earl T., of Van Buren; and Ethel, wife of Herbert DeLong, of Van Buren.

Richard F. Allen obtained his education principally in the free schools of Corinth, Mississippi, and while living at Van Buren gained a valuable experience by clerking in stores for five years and two years as clerk in the Van Buren postoffice. On attaining his majority he moved to Indian Territory, and for a time was employed as clerk by L. T. Berryman at Tamaha. The firm of Allen Brothers was then formed, which opened a store in Braggs, but a year later he withdrew and for the next two years was in the grocery business in South McAlester. In 1901 he bought back his interest in Allen Brothers. In the following year the interests of Earl T. and F. P. Allen was purchased by Mayer Brothers, and since then the firm has been conducted under the style of Allen & Mayer Brothers, with Mr. Allen as the active man at Vian. Their store is a one-story brick, fifty by one hundred feet, which was erected in 1900, and the proprietors, being men of long experience in mercantile affairs in this part of the country, have adapted the large stock to the most profitable advantage of all concerned.

Mr. Allen is a Democrat, but without political ambitions. He affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He married, at Van Buren, November 29, 1889, Miss Laura Miller. Her father, Charles L. Miller, a German by birth, was a merchant and planter. They had five children: Sarah E., Vera B., Richard Earl, Donald M. and Cornelia C. Mrs. Allen died October 4, 1909, at the age of thirty-nine years.


WILLIAM HERZOG

THE manager of the Herzog Trading Company, the largest mercantile house in Braggs, was reared in the state of Mississippi, in the village of Myersville. His father, Simon Herzog, was one of the earliest merchants in that village. The family came originally from Germany, settling at Vicksburg.

William Herzog came to Oklahoma in 1905, settling at Fort Gibson, where he entered the employ of J. L. Landworth as clerk, and remained with him eighteen months. The store at Braggs was first opened with Mr. Landworth as president and Mr. Herzog as manager. They carry a stock of general merchandise to the amount of about nine thousand dollars, and do business principally among the farmers, receiving their full share of the patronage of their fellow townsmen. Their annual business amounts to from thirty to thirty-five thousand dollars, and they employ three or four clerks. They have the agency for the famous John Deere plows and farm machinery, in which they have a large trade. Mr. Herzog has won his present position by enterprise and industry, and has learned good business methods and principles. He has the confidence of the entire community, and the class of goods he buys is of the best.

Mr. Herzog married, in January, 1907, Sallie Stockner, of Lake Providence, Louisiana, a native of Mississippi, whose family originally emigrated from Germany. They have one daughter, Lucile May.


JOHN L. SPRINGSTON

A resident of Vian, has been identified with the Cherokee people and their life and affairs for more than a third of a century and is perhaps more familiar with Cherokee history and Cherokee language and customs than any other citizen. He is himself a Cherokee of three-quarter blood, and was born near Eucha, in what is now Delaware County, Oklahoma, October 13, 1844.
His grandfather was John Springston, a French tory and soldier, who married Nancy, a full-blood Cherokee. He died on his plantation on the Tennessee river before the Civil war. His children were: Isaac, who died in the Indian Territory without children; and John Anderson.

John A. Springston, the father, was born at Gunter's Landing on the Tennessee river, October 13, 1814, and in 1838 went to the western home of the Cherokees, settling near Eucha, and later living on Spavinaw Creek near Maysville, Arkansas. He had been educated for a lawyer, was a man of considerable learning, and spoke the Cherokee and English tongues fluently. He was prosecuting attorney of his district, was a member of the legislature, and in the era of division and strife which came with the Civil war he sided positively with the Union. He was a man of powerful physique, deliberate in movement, and possessed both influence and leadership among his people. He died March 22, 1866. His wife was Sarah Elizabeth Elliott, daughter of John and Lizzie Elliott, the father a white man and the mother a Cherokee. She died in 1873, being the mother of: John L.; Nancy, Mrs. Castrell, who died young; Sarah, deceased, who married William Arledge; Johnson F., who died in the Union army at Fort Scott, Kansas; and Lucy, Mrs. James Mayes.

John L. Springston was educated in the Cherokee public schools, and was teacher himself for a time. During the Civil war he joined Captain Whitecatcher's company of the Third Home Guard, this Cherokee regiment being under the command of Colonel W. A. Phillips. He was on the scene but not a participant in the battle of Pea Ridge, and also in the engagements at Honey Springs, at Cabin Creek, and in other fights and skirmishes with the Confederates in Arkansas and the Territory. He came out of the war in 1865 without injury.

Soon after the war he became clerk of the court of Saline district, later became sheriff of the district, and then entered the service of the Cherokee national government as interpreter for the executive department. He became interpreter to the judicial commission on citizenship, and also editor of the Cherokee department in the Cherokee Advocate. His skill and serviceableness as interpreter resulted in his appointment as interpreter at the federal court of Fort Smith under Judge Parker, an experience that was excellent training for the legal profession when he took it up later on. He was also interpreter for the Cherokees before the Dawes Commission. After the dissolution of tribal government he located at Vian and began the practice of law. So far as his political views with reference to the nation have been concerned, he has been a Republican from the time of the Lincoln-Douglas debates, which first attracted his interest in politics.

On March 8, 1886, Mr. Springston married Miss Alice Gray, of American blood, her parents being Adolphus and Annie Gray, from North Carolina. They have one child, William Penn Boudinot Springston.


JACOB M. BROCKMAN

HE is a member of the mercantile firm of Tate & Brockman at Vian, and has resided in this vicinity and been engaged in the promotion of its business affairs since 1884, so that he is in many respects a pioneer citizen. He came here with his father Lewis, who is still identified with Vian and the community around it.

His grandfather was Jacob Brockman, who was of German descent, and one of the pioneer settlers of Chariton County, Missouri. The names of his children as now remembered were John, Matthew, James, Joseph, and Lewis.

Lewis Brockman was born in Missouri in the forties, was brought up on a farm, with only rural advantages of education, and being a younger son did not enter the Confederate service with his father and brothers but was enrolled in the home-guard service. During the seventies he migrated to Texas, and conducted a small horse ranch in Callahan County until he moved into the Cherokee country in 1884. He has since farmed and raised stock, and is one of the well known citizens of Vian. He married Miss Jane Wink, of German lineage, who died near Vian in 1889. Their children were: Jacob M.; John, of the Osage country; Annie, wife of John Barney of Colorado; Jack, a resident of Vian; Stella, wife of Samuel Gault; and James, of Vian.

Jacob M. Brockman was born in Missouri, November 14, 1869, and received such educational advantages as a country community afforded. At his majority he began life as a farmer, but a few years later went into the drug business at Vian. He knew nothing of drugs himself, but formed a partnership with the pioneer doctor Bryant, and the business of Bryant & Brockman continued three years, when he became sole owner, and later sold it to James E. Irwin. Soon afterward the partnership with Mr. Tate was formed, and they opened a hardware store. Their success resulted in an enlargement into a department store, and their stock is now considered one of the largest and best in this community. In 1907 the firm erected a one story brick building, fifty by one hundred feet, and a wareroom twenty-four by fifty feet, in which the business is now conducted, and this establishment is now one of the best material ornaments of the business street of Vian. Mr. Brockman has also improved residence property in Vian, and has some farming interests. His faith in the business solidity of the town is firm, and he is one of the public-spirited citizens and has been a member of the municipal government since the incorporation of the town. He is a Democrat politically, and affiliates with the Masons and the Woodmen of the World.

He married, April 25, 1892, Miss Clemmie Warner, a daughter of Jacob Warner, who came to Oklahoma from Arkansas. Their children are: Laura (deceased), William, Lewis, May and Sample.


JETER T. CUNNINGHAM

HIS home has been in Tahlequah for the past twenty years, dates his residence in Oklahoma from the time of his birth, and he is a native of the Cherokee country, and was born December 1, 1843. His forefathers were emigrants, and his father came from Chattanooga County, Georgia, in 1838. The father, Andrew Cunningham, was a white man, born in Mississippi in 1812, and possessed a very good education; he engaged in mercantile life in Georgia. When Andrew Cunningham first came west and settled among the Cherokees he located near Maysville, Arkansas, where many emigrants of that period first established their homes, and there married Maria, daughter of Jeter Lynch, an Irishman, whose Cherokee wife was Nancy Martin. Mrs. Cunningham was the widow of Johnson Thompson, a Cherokee, and had sons James F., deceased, and Joseph L., who passed away near Maysville. The issue of the marriage of Andrew and Nancy Cunningham were Jeter and Sabra; the latter married L. B. Bell, and died near Vinita, Oklahoma. Mr. Cunningham died; in, 1850, and his widow survived him until 1884, dying near Vinita.

Jeter T. Cunningham was reared like most others farmers' sons of the period, and received his education in the public schools of the country. As he was nearing his majority the Civil war began, and he cast his lot with the Confederacy, enlisting in Company A under Captain Hugh Tinnin, of the First Cherokee Regiment, under Colonel Stand Watie first, but later commanded by Colonel J. M. Bell. Before he joined the First Regiment his company was in the battle of Wilson Creek with the Fourth Arkansas Infantry, Pierce's Brigade, and in the Pea Ridge fight as an artillery company of Hart's battery. Joining the First Cherokee, the company fought at Newtonia, Fort Wayne, Honey Springs (or Elk Creek), Cabin Creek, Pleasant Bluff, on the Arkansas river above Fort Smith, was in the assault on the garrison at Fort Gibson and captured their horses, finally having a small engagement at Fort Smith. Mr. Cunningham was then part of the regiment which was sent into the western country to treat with the wild Indians, and was somewhere near Fort Cobb when the war ended. The command was included in the surrender of General Buckner's army some time after peace was restored.

For the first two years after the war, Mr. Cunningham was located on Blue River, near where the Texas Oil Company's pumping station has recently been erected, just north of Durant, and there sold goods and handled cattle, gathering together a few dollars with which he resumed his station as a farmer and stockman upon his return to the vicinity of his old home. He settled upon a new farm on Grand River, and built up his fortunes as a tiller of the soil for ten years, and then abandoned this occupation for a mercantile career. He opened a drug store in Vinita, in company with Dr. J. R. Trott; two years later he removed to the capital and there became a drug clerk. Reaching the scene of a maelstrom of politics, he was drawn into the current, and began a career of office holding seldom equaled by the Cherokees of the present generation. He was a Downing adherent, and was first elected clerk of the Delaware District, which office he filled eight years; while holding this position he spent his spare time reading law, in order to avail himself of an opportunity to progress in position should it come 'in his way. Being naturally gifted with common sense and ability, his preparation for a career in the line of law was attended with little difficulty. From the clerkship he was elected to the national council, then associate justice, and then chief justice of the supreme court of the nation. His last office was that of executive secretary, under Chief Joel B. Mayes.

Upon the introduction of Federal politics into the territory, Mr. Cunningham became a Democrat, and as a citizen of Tahlequah he was elected mayor. During his brief administration the council was dealing with the water works problem, arranging for electric lights and erecting school buildings. He has the respect and confidence of the entire community, and enjoys the admiration and regard of a large circle of friends. Mr. Cunningham is a member of the council in Masonry, and belongs to the Knights of Pythias. He acted on the committee of appraisers chosen by the state superintendent of Oklahoma to appraise the school lands of Blaine County, this work being done in 1908, and the committee discharged and warmly complimented. He owns a beautiful home in a shady nook among the forest trees by the side of a brook, the commodious house erected by him, and the whole forms one of the beautiful retreats of the capital.

On June 13, 1856, Mr. Cunningham married, in the Choctaw Nation, Keziah, daughter of Elija and Jemima (Landrum) Moore, both of the Cherokee Nation, whose children were: Kate, wife of E. B. Sanders, of McKee, Oklahoma; James, who died near McKee; Mrs. Cunningham, who was born December 12, 1849; Cohesive; and Charles, deceased.

The children of Mr. and Mrs. Cunningham are: Andrew B., ex-mayor of Tahlequah, and the present executive secretary of Chief Rogers, resides in Tahlequah, and is married to Sammie L. Gunter, a Cherokee lady; Kate, wife of Connell Rogers; Jeter T., Jr., married a Miss Ellis; Elizabeth, who married 0. L. Wyley, of Tahlequah; Lilley May, wife of George Grant, of Stillwell, Oklahoma; Belle, a teacher in the Cherokee National Female Seminary; Albert Sydney; and Roxie, a teacher in the city schools.


HENRY B. CLARK

THE clerk of Sequoyah County since Oklahoma became a state, with an organized government, in 1907, came to this section in 1892 and located at Maple. He was then a youth of sixteen, as he was born near Sparta, White County, Tennessee, on the 21st of February, 1876. His parents were William T. and Louisa (Humphrey) Clark, the latter a daughter of John Humphrey, a prominent North Carolina farmer who became a resident of Tennessee. Mrs. William T. Clark died in Crawford County, Arkansas, in 1892, mother of the following: I. Asbury Clark, who still resides in White County, Tennessee; Sarah, wife of H. C. Betterton, of Sequoyah County; Waman and Henry B., also of this county; Edward S., who is a resident of Fort Smith, Arkansas; and Elizabeth, who died young.

Mr. Clark, of this review, was reared in indigent circumstances, as his father was poor and his mother an invalid during the later years of her life. Until he was twenty years of age his schooling was of the most irregular character. He then attended Harrall International Institute at Muskogee (later Spaulding University) and lacked but one term of completing its course when he left to become a teacher in the country schools of the vicinity. He was thus employed for four years and in 1906 was principal of the government school at Maple, now Sequoyah County. For a time he was clerk in a village store, and while thus engaged was nominated for clerk of his county. He won the nomination against two competitors and the election by the casting of lots, as the county vote on this office was a tie. The matter was decided by the "flipping" of a silver dollar, and as the election went to Mr. Clark the coin which thus cast the deciding vote is carefully preserved in a metal case as one of his real valuables. Judged by official performance, fate or fortune could not have fixed upon a better man for the clerkship of Sequoyah County. He is also a leading Baptist, serving for some time as superintendent of the Maple Sunday school; is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and a Master Mason. On October 9, 1898, Mr. Clark married Miss Eula O'Bryan, the ceremony occurring in Maple. His wife is a daughter of William O'Bryan, of Crawford County, Arkansas, in which state she was born in 1881. The issue of their union are Garland; Herman and Bonnie, deceased; and Hoyt. The Clark family has every reason to be proud of its record both in Tennessee and Oklahoma. Darius Clark, grandfather of the county clerk, was highly respected in White County, of the former state, and his three sons and two daughters, who all honored the name, were as follows: James, Edward, William (father of Henry B.); Lodema, who married G. W. Humphrey; and Cynthia, wife of John Fisher.


WILLIAM WATIE WHEELER

A pioneer of the modern commercial center of Sallisaw, is one of the most noteworthy characters of the old Cherokee nation, both on account of his own individual career and on account of his family history. He and his people have assisted in the making of history for the Cherokee people, and in the events which are elsewhere recorded of that nation the Wheeler family were active participants.

Born at Fort Smith, Arkansas, December 14, 1847, he is a son of John F. Wheeler, whose career was a remarkable one. A son of white parents, while living in Georgia, before the Indian migrations of the thirties, he married a Cherokee woman, and thenceforth his life was identified in a helpful way with that people. He is credited with having been partly instrumental in providing the Cherokees with a written language. In this respect history has given the chief honor to Sequoyah, but John F. Wheeler has the distinction of having supervised the casting of the type in Cincinnati in 1827 and of having printed the first Cherokee document ever run off a press. He did printing for the Presbyterian missionaries both in Georgia and in Indian Territory. He moved from New Echota, Georgia, to the Indian country in 1831. His Cherokee wife was named Nancy Watie, daughter of David Watie, a full-blood Cherokee. Her brother was the remarkable Indian soldier whose achievements occupy so much space in the history of the Civil war in Indian Territory-General Stand (or Isaac) Watie of the Confederate army.

John F. Wheeler's first home in the Indian Territory was at Park Hill, near the site of the old Union Mission. The Civil warfare among the two factions of the Cherokees in the forties caused him to leave the nation and make his home at Fort Smith. He also took his printing outfit to Fort Smith, at which point, though he continued in the service of the missions as printer, he also engaged in secular newspaper work and established the first newspaper west of Little Rock-the Fort Smith Herald. He conducted this paper through the Civil war period, and after disposing of it founded, in 1868, the Wheeler's Independent. Then as before he took an active part in the affairs of Fort Smith and vicinity. He was elected County Judge of Sebastian County, and was afterwards sent to both the lower and upper house of the Arkansas legislature. A Whig during the existence of that party, he became a pronounced Democrat during the war. He was a man of solid ability and dignity of character, although in his earlier life he had largely educated himself. He was an elder in the church, and also belonged to the Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities. He was born near Frankfort, Kentucky, and died in Fort Smith, in 1880, aged seventy-two. The children of John F. and Nancy Wheeler were: Theodore, who was killed near Pike's Peak in 1854, while en route to California; Susan, the wife of W. W. Perry, was carried in her mother's lap from Georgia to the Indian Territory and passed her life in Oklahoma and Arkansas; Mary A., who died in 1863 as Mrs. E. B. Bright; Harriet, wife of Argyle Quesenbury, of Sallisaw; Sarah P., wife of Clarence Ashbrook, of Vinita, Oklahoma; John, who died in 1880 and whose wife was Miss Lue G. Sanders; William W.; and Nancy, who died unmarried in 1863.

William W. Wheeler was educated in the schools of Fort Smith and in his father's printing house. Still a boy when the war came on, he joined the Arkansas troops, and at first, in Price's army, took part in the campaigns about Little Rock and in Louisiana, and later was attached to Stand Watie's command and followed that noted chieftain during the latter months of the war. He fought at the engagements of Jenkins Ferry, Pleasant Hill and Mansfield, but throughout his service was neither wounded nor captured. His first business experience after the war was in the drug business at Fort Smith, and later he located in the Territory above Fort Smith and farmed and traded among the Cherokee people until 1880, when he moved to the site of Sallisaw. He was here when the first railroad came, and has been identified with the growth and upbuilding of the town ever since. For thirty years he has been a successful farmer and stock grower near the town, and he is also noted as one of the most successful fruit growers in this vicinity. His allotment was selected on the cast side of the town, and he is owner of one thousand two hundred acres in a body comprising much fertile and desirable land lying within the sweep of Sallisaw's influence. His business interests in Sallisaw comprise the Wheeler Lumber Company, Wheeler and Sons, cotton buyers and ginners, stock in the Sallisaw Cotton Oil Mill, and his directorship in the Merchants National Bank of this place.

Mr. Wheeler married, November 5, 1868, Miss Emma C. Carnall, daughter of John Carnall, a Virginian. She was born at Fort Smith, in March, 1848. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler are: John Perry, of Sallisaw, who married Nancy Benge; Fannie M., wife of T. F. Shackelford, of Sallisaw; Daisey E., wife of Edgar T. Stevenson, a merchant of Sallisaw; Corrie F., wife of Raleigh Kobel, of Sallisaw; William Watie Jr., a merchant of Sallisaw, who married Jessie Meechem of Fort Smith; Jessie V., who married W. D. Mayo, a merchant of Sallisaw; Carnall, a graduate of the class of 1909 of the Virginia Military Institute; and Theodore F., of the class of 1911 of the Missouri State University.

Mr. Wheeler is a Democrat and has been somewhat active in politics since he attained his majority. His first public office was chief of police at Fort Smith, serving a few years until his removal to Sequoyah district. For several terms he has served on the Sallisaw town council and also was president of the Sallisaw board of education for nine years.


WILLIAM N. LITTLEJOHN

THE County Judge of Sequoyah County and one of the two hundred and seventy-eight white men enrolled by the Cherokee authorities as a mark of their supreme respect and confidence, is fully worthy of any mark of honor which may be conferred upon him by either race. He is of an old and brave southern family, both he and his father staunchly serving the Confederacy and, at the conclusion of the war, with as manly fortitude honestly accepting the logical results of the conflict and faithfully performing the duties of good citizenship in the various communities of their residence. Judge Littlejohn is a native of the old district of Spartanburg, South Carolina, where he was born December 22, 1845. The family was one of the oldest and most stable among the prosperous planters of that section of the state, William Littlejohn, the grandfather, being a native of the district. By his marriage to Betsy Lipscomb he became the father of six children, who were also all born on the ancestral plantation. The oldest of the family, Susan, married Captain Robert W. Draper and spent her subsequent life in the vicinity of Jacksonville, Alabama; Charles P., who was the father of the Judge, is mentioned more in detail hereafter; Thomas, who died in Texas, was a captain in the Confederate army; Richard B. also passed away in the Lone Star state; Sarah A. married Dr. F. N. Littlejohn and is a resident of Stillwell, Oklahoma; and Napoleon B., is a citizen of the same town. Charles P. Littlejohn was a planter, like his father and grandfather, but in 1857 departed from his Spartanburg home in South Carolina and, with his wife and children, established himself in Lamar County, Texas, not far from the town of Cheota. In the Civil war he was a member of the Twenty-ninth Texas Cavalry, General Gano's brigade of Confederate troops. When peace was declared he returned to his Texas home, served as postmaster of the village for many years and died there in 1889, aged seventy-three years. The deceased was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. His wife (nee Lottie Smith) was a daughter of Isaac Smith of Glenn Springs, South Carolina, and, like the Littlejohns, hers was a South Carolina ancestry of slave-holding planters. Mrs. Littlejohn died in 1897, mother of William N., of this sketch; Richard B., a resident of Checota, Texas; Elizabeth, who married Thomas J. Littlejohn of that place; and Robert E., of Hugo, Oklahoma.

William N. Littlejohn was eleven years of age when he left his native state, and his education was obtained in the country schools of South Carolina and Texas. He learned to work on his father's Texas farm and was in his sixteenth year when, in 1862, he enlisted in a company raised in Lamar County and was one of General Ben McCullough's escort when his brave superior was killed at Pea Ridge. He was then assigned to the same duty for General Van Dorn and continued thus until his company was dismounted, incorporated into Colonel Andrews Regiment and transferred beyond the Mississippi. Not desirous of serving in that department he secured a discharge and reenlisted in Company G, Twenty-ninth Texas Cavalry, which was commanded by Colonel Charles DeMoss and to which his father was attached. Both were honorably disbanded at Hempstead. Texas, in June, 1865, or at the conclusion of the war. The son remained on the Lamar County farm until 1868, when he became a wage worker on a Cherokee farm, and in August, 1869, firmly established himself in the Indian nation by his marriage to Emily Adair, a member of one of the best known native families. He continued farming until 1880, when he began his mercantile career of ten years at Flint Court House. While thus engaged he was elected clerk of Flint district, and after filling the office two terms was chosen judge of the middle circuit of the Cherokee nation, serving in that capacity from 1891 to 1894. In Indian politics he was a member of the Downing party, but in national affairs has always been a Democrat. He has lived in Sallisaw since 1898, served his home city as mayor, and with the approach of statehood was elected to the constitutional convention as a delegate from the seventy-eighth district. In that body he was chairman of the committee on commerce and manufactures and was influential in securing the county seat for Sallisaw. With enhanced standing he returned home and became a candidate for the first county judgeship of Sequoyah County, winning both nomination and election after an energetic and exciting campaign. In selecting his allotments Judge Littlejohn located his landed property near Sallisaw, his old home. He is also a stockholder in the Sallisaw Bank and Trust Company, and his standing is further confirmed by his long connection with Masonry, in which he has reached the Royal Arch degree.

Judge Littlejohn's first wife (of the Adair family) was a daughter of one of the emigrant Cherokees who came into the Indian country from Georgia in 1837. She died near Flint Court House, Adair County, in 1878, mother of the following: Lottie, who married Joseph Powell of Sequoyah County; Charles P., now a resident of Sallisaw; Nannie, Mrs. Thomas Hale of that place; and Mary B., who died unmarried in 1899. For his second wife Judge Littlejohn married Catherine Miller, whose father, Alfred Miller was also a Cherokee of Adair County. The marriage took place in 1879 and their daughter, Johnsie, is the wife of John T. Sparks of Sallisaw. Mr. and Mrs. Littlejohn are Baptists.


REV. JAMES H. PARKER

Proprietor of a prosperous lumber and hardware business at Muldrow, Sequoyah County, gave the best years of his manhood solely to the service of the Baptist church, and in middle life the pressure of circumstances forced him into a mercantile career. Notwithstanding he thus entered the business field somewhat late in life he has met with remarkable and deserved success; remarkable, in view of his lack of previous training and deserved, in that he is more than ever a substantial supporter of the faith to which he pledged himself before he had reached his majority. In fact, it is known to a few of his closest friends that he has donated more money to the church than he ever received during his twenty-five years of splendid missionary work in Sequoyah County. He still responds to occasional calls to officiate at funerals of friends and to fill the pulpit at Muldrow and vicinity when vacancies unavoidably occur.

Mr. Parker is a native of Pope County, Arkansas, born on the 18th of February, 1850, son of Roderick Parker and his wife (nee Caroline Hill), the mother dying in the following August. The father soon afterward moved to Mariposa County, California, where he died in recent years without having seen his son since he was an infant. The elder Mr. Parker was a South Carolina man, migrating from his native state to Arkansas in 1834, and becoming the father also of Mary J., who married P. N. Teeter, of Russellville, Arkansas.

James H. Parker, the second born, was reared by his uncle (Edward Parker) and his grandmother, the old family farm in Pope County being the scene of his maturity. The boy matured into manhood, as far as years are concerned, but his education appears to have been so neglected that when he was twenty years of age he could hardly read intelligently. At this period in his life he was converted at a Baptist revival and his consciousness of a latent power to further the cause of his faith through the ministry also aroused in him the ambition for educational strength and mental training. Thereafter for some time he faithfully attended school and, through persistent self-discipline, reached a position when he was fully qualified to assume the work of the ministry, to which he was duly ordained. From 1872 until 1892 his ministerial work was in various counties in the state of Arkansas. The American Baptist Home Mission Society then detailed him for service in the Cherokee nation, his special field being the Sequoyah district between Fort Smith and Webbers Falls, chiefly in the vicinity of Muldrow and Sallisaw. It was in that territory that he commenced his labors. In the Indian territory, now the state of Oklahoma, he has up to this time, 1909, spent a quarter of a century engaged assiduously and successfully in the organizing of congregations and the building of churches. As time passed Mr. Parker found that not only all his time and strength, but all his spare earnings were being absorbed by his missionary enterprises, and, while he did not regret either fact, still felt that he owed a duty to those dependent upon him which he could not ignore, in view of advancing years. Coincident with this conclusion was an opportunity to venture into the lumber business at Muldrow, as the only establishment of the kind had withdrawn from the field. Through the assistance of friends who warmly sympathized with his resolve he secured a load of lumber which was placed on sale and proved the commencement of a good business in that line; a stock of hardware followed, and he finally developed a fine trade in both branches, bought the ground comprising his lumber yard and purchased the double store housing his hardware stock. He also made other investments in city property and, with the increased assistance which he has given of late years to religious work, no one can vouchsafe the conclusion that Mr. Parker has very wisely conceived and faithfully fulfilled his duties as a citizen contributing to the advancement of his home community, as a loving husband and father concerned in the welfare of those looking to him for protection, and as a consistent Christian whose faith is firm that he owes everything he possesses and enjoys to the goodness of his Creator. In personal appearance Mr. Parker is of generous proportions, open countenance and pleasant address, although he also carries an atmosphere of positivness which is not belied by intimate contact. He is an old Mason, having joined the order at Atkins, Arkansas, and he has always been a hearty supporter of the tenets of that fraternity, which are so thoroughly in accord with the helpful and brotherly spirit of Christ.

On May 28, 1871, Mr. Parker married, near Russellville, Arkansas, Miss Martha Hughes, daughter of Abner Hughes, and she passed away in Muldrow as the mother of the following children: Mary S., who died at Muldrow, as the wife of W. S. McCullough; John R., a farmer residing at that place, who married Miss Annie Wiltshire; Naomi J., now the wife of Richard Leach, a resident of Maple, Oklahoma; William A., of Dallas, Texas, also married; and Walter H., whose wife was Miss Carrie Mosely. Mr. Parker married for his second wife Mrs. Carrie Reager, of Muldrow, on March 30, 1899. To this union was born on February 23, 1901, a daughter, Bonnie Parker, who died on the 15th of the following March.



Back to Page 19

Page 21

Back to Biographies





Back to the Main Index Page for Oklahoma
©Genealogy Trails