Oklahoma Genealogy Trails    
    A Proud Member of the Genealogy Trails Group
 

Oklahoma

The History of Oklahoma Biographies Vol. II
by Luther B. Hill
Page 21

CHARLES H. BEERY

In according recognition in this compilation to the representative citizens of Payne County there is all of consistency in entering a brief review of the career of this honored pioneer and influential business man of Stillwater, where he is engaged in the produce and coal trade and controls a large commission business.

Mr. Beery finds a due measure of satisfaction in reverting to the old Buckeye state as the place of his nativity. He was born in Sandusky County, in the historic old Western Reserve of Ohio, and the date of his nativity was October 1, 1851. He is a son of Aaron and Caroline (Ernsperger) Beery and the Beery family is of staunch German lineage, having been founded in America in the colonial days. The paternal great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch was a valiant soldier in the Continental line in the war of the Revolution. The mother of Mr. Beery is a daughter of Christopher and Mary Ernsperger, who were representatives of German families early founded in the state of Pennsylvania. Aaron Beery died in 1908, at his home in Fulton County, Indiana, where his widow still resides. Of their five children Charles H.; is the eldest; Ellen is the wife of Robert N., Bereier, of Fulton County, Indiana; Frank is likewise a resident of Fulton County, that state; James C. maintains his residence on the old homestead farm in Fulton County, Indiana; and Retta is the wife of James P. Neff of Kewanna, Indiana.

Charles H. Beery was a child at the time of the family removal from Ohio to Pulaski County, Indiana, where he was reared to maturity on the home farm. After completing the curriculum of the district schools he became a student in the Northern Indiana University in -the city of Valparaiso, in which institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1870. In 1884 Mr. Beery removed to the west, locating in the town of Cimarron, Kansas, where he was engaged in the general merchandise business for the ensuing seven years, at the expiration of which he removed to Lyons, Rice County, that state, where he turned his attention to farming and also engaged in the real-estate business, in both of which lines of enterprise he met with excellent success. He continued a resident of Lyons for six years and then, in 1889, numbered himself among the pioneer settlers of Stillwater, Oklahoma. When he came to this section there were no towns of any importance and Stillwater was a small hamlet and railroad station on the line of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. The country was mainly given over to stock-growing and herding, and there was more of lawlessness and crime here than was in evidence when he took up his abode in Kansas, a number of years earlier. He has witnessed the wonderful transformation along industrial and social lines, and has been one of the promoters of the upbuilding of the thriving little city of Stillwater, where he settled soon after the place was platted and at a time when its population did not exceed five hundred persons. During the early period of his residence in Stillwater he gave his attention principally to the real-estate business, in connection with which he put forth his best efforts in encouraging the settlement of this section by desirable immigration from states further to the east. In his present line of business enterprise he is the pioneer in Payne County and he controls a large and substantial business in the buying and shipping of produce and in the handling of coal for local consumption. He has erected a number of the better houses in his home town and county, and his progressive spirit has thus been shown in a helpful way, as has it also in the promotion of other enterprises and causes which have conserved the civic and material advancement of the county and of Stillwater. He is associated with R. J. Smith in the ownership of the Grand Opera House, which is modern and attractive in its facilities and appointments and which is highly appreciated as an amusement resort and a place for general public assemblies. The house is heated by steam, is equipped with other approved accessories and facilities and has a seating capacity of seven hundred.

In politics Mr. Beery accords a staunch allegiance to the Democratic party, and both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is an appreciative member of the Masonic fraternity, in which he is affiliated with Stillwater Lodge, No. 6, Free & Accepted Masons; with the Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; and with the Commandery, Knights Templar. He has passed all of the official chairs in these three bodies and is one of the honored and zealous members of the fraternity in Payne County. Mrs. Beery is a member of the adjunct organization, the Order of the Eastern Star.
In 1877 Mr. Beery was united in marriage to Miss Minnie A. Clark, who was born and reared in Sandusky County, Ohio, and who is a daughter of Loren and Julia (Jackson) Clark, who are now deceased. Of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Clark, Mrs. Beery is the elder of the two who attained to years of maturity, and her brother, Ames, is a successful farmer in Sandusky County, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Beery have one daughter, Gertrude, who is the wife of L. S. Shirley, of Las Animas, Colorado.


ROBERT J. SMITH

The name of Robert J. Smith is prominently associated with the history of the city of Stillwater, but he is a native son of the province of Ontario, Canada, and his first home in the United States was at Grand Rapids, Michigan, whither he went in the fall of 1866. James West Smith, his father, was born in England, and from Kent County, near London, he came as a young man to Toronto, Canada, where he soon secured employment as a cabin boy on a sailing vessel and followed the sea until finally locating permanently in Canada. From that time on he followed the vocation of a farmer until his death, which occurred in Grand Rapids, Michigan, about the year of 1874, his wife surviving him until 1895. She was Margaret McAvoy before her marriage, and was born in Ireland, but was brought by her parents in her infancy to Toronto, Canada. Mr. and Mrs. Smith reared a family of eight children: Mary, the wife of Nathaniel E. Bailey, of Phillipsburg, Kansas; Elizabeth, deceased, was the wife of James H. Spencer, of Denver, Colorado; Julia, deceased, was the wife of James Hawkins, formerly of England but now of Grand Rapids; Robert J., mentioned more at length below; George W., whose home is in Oregon; James E., deceased, his family residing in Grand Rapids; Charles T., also of that city" and Henry is deceased, but his family reside in Grand Rapids.

Robert J. Smith received his educational training in the public schools in Ontario, and he entered upon his business career at Grand Rapids as assistant foreman in one of the large lumber yards. After remaining in that position for seven years he purchased a farm and followed agricultural pursuits until moving to Beatrice, Nebraska, in 1881, to take charge of the lumber business of S. K. Martin, of Chicago, and four years afterward he engaged in the same business for himself. But on account of failing health he closed out his lumber interests after seven years of successful operation, and in 1894 came to Pawnee County, Oklahoma, and purchased land and resumed agricultural pursuits. In the years which followed he greatly improved his estate, but in 1902 he left there to move to Stillwater, from where he superintended his vast farming interests, for he owned several farms in addition to the one in Pawnee County. Mr. Smith has assisted materially in making Stillwater the leading city of this section of Oklahoma, and for a time he was extensively engaged in building and in improving his property here, and in association with C. H. Beery he owns and conducts the opera house, one of the handsomest in this portion of the state. During his residence in Beatrice, Nebraska, he served three successive terms as a member of its city council, and he is now closing his third term as a member of the Stillwater council, besides having served this city as a member of its school board and as secretary of its sanitary board.

Mr. Smith married in 1870, in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Miss Addie Corbin. from the state of New York, a daughter of Charles and Elsie (Enman) Corbin, who were born respectively in England and Pennsylvania, and Mrs. Corbin was of Dutch ancestry. The seven children of this union are: Jennie, the wife of J. F. Wilmer, of Delta, Colorado; Mary, wife of W. J. Stow, of St. Louis, Missouri; Charles, also of Delta, Colorado; Margaret, who became the wife of Luther A. Barnfield of Neodesha, Kansas, and is deceased; James, of Pueblo, Colorado; Maudeline, of Beatrice, Nebraska; and Edna, of Guthrie, Oklahoma. Mrs. Smith, the mother of these children died in 1895, and in 1902 Mr. Smith wedded Mrs. Nellie Stafford, nee Clancy, a daughter of John and Margaret Clancy, who came from their native Ireland to America and located in St. Joseph, Missouri, where they reared a family of nine children, but only three of the number survive: John, a resident of Perry, Oklahoma; Nellie, who became the wife of Mr. Smith; and Bridget. Two sons have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Smith, John E. and Francis R. Both Mr. and Mrs. Smith are members of the Catholic church at Stillwater. He is a conservative Democrat, and is one of the enterprising men of Stillwater.


WILLIAM A. Fox

The name of William A. Fox is recorded in the official history of Oklahoma as the sheriff of Payne County, and he is also prominently known as an agriculturist. He was born in Macoupin County, Illinois, in 1872, a son of William R. and Sarah (Stup) Fox, who also had their nativity in that county. The paternal grandfather was one of the first settlers of Macoupin County, and he was a farmer of importance there for a number of years. In 1884 William R. Fox moved with his family to Nebraska, and from there came to Oklahoma in the fall of 1893, at the opening of the Cherokee Strip, and he now resides in Bristol, this state. He has the distinction of being a pioneer of two states. Six children were born to the marriage union of William R. Fox and Sarah Stup, namely: William A.; the subject of this review; Peter, a hardware merchant at Broken Arrow, Oklahoma; Burt B., a farmer in Kansas; G. C., also of that state; Lela, the wife of A. P. Clark, of Payne County; and Ora Odel.

William A. Fox received his educational training in the country schools of Macoupin County, but left the school room at the early age of twelve when his parents moved to Nebraska. With them he also came to Oklahoma in the fall of 1893, locating in Payne County, where he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land eight miles northeast of Stillwater. This land was bought of George Murphy for three hundred and fifty dollars, and after placing one hundred and thirty-five acres of it under cultivation he sold the entire tract in 1901 for two thousand dollars, and this same place is now worth at least five thousand dollars. Subsequently Mr. Fox purchased an improved tract of one hundred and sixty acres, to which he has since added until his farm now contains four hundred acres, and since becoming its owner this land increased more than two fold in value.

In 1907 Mr. Fox received the nomination by the Democratic party for the office of sheriff, to which he was duly elected by a good majority, and he has the distinction of having been the first sheriff elected after the admission of the state into the Union. His term of office covers three and a half years, the statehood election giving him a longer term than his successors will be permitted to enjoy. He married on the 5th of July, 1895, Miss Mary McGregor, one of the eleven children born to David and Sophronia J. McGregor, and those who reached years of maturity are: Brazilian, of Newton, Iowa; Dave, of Winfield, Kansas; Everett, of Payne County; James, of the state of Washington; Maggie, the wife of E. H. Raymond, of Sunnyside. Idaho; Ella, wife of A. Hoffman, of Belleville, Kansas; Augusta, wife of E. B. Mather, of Arcadia, Nebraska; Minnie, wife of M. Dickerhoof; and Mary, who became the wife of Mr. Fox. The marriage union of Mr. and Mrs. Fox has been blessed by the birth of six children, Charles F., Bertha S., Aletha C., Annabell A., Ethel and William H. Mr. Fox is a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity at Stillwater, Lodge No. 6, and he is a well known and influential Democrat.


WILSON O. BRUTON

HE IS a Cherokee citizen of prominence, a native of Oklahoma and a leading business man of Muldrow, Sequoyah County, is a member of the board of control of the State Orphans Home, and represents the third generation of a family which has been largely concerned in the development and good standing of his people. He himself played an important part in the final adjustment of the complications arising between the Cherokees and the United States government in the allotment of lands to them in severalty. A lawyer by early training and profession, from 1891 to 1893 he served as district clerk and in 1903-4 was executive secretary to Chief Rogers. In that capacity he prepared the form of deeds to be issued to the five tribes, issuing the first deed ever delivered to a member of the Cherokee tribe. Discovering that the expense of preparing and delivering the deeds to the Indians, if borne by the owners of the land, would make serious inroads upon their purses and believing, therefore, that this expense should be borne by the United States government, he laid the matter before the interior department, although it had been previously decided against his people. Mr. Bruton was finally asked to make up his case and he accordingly prepared the brief which resulted in a reversal of the former Federal decision by which the United States government became legally bound for all expenses incident to the preparation and delivery of the deeds to lands allotted in severalty.

Mr. Bruton was born in the Cherokee nation April 29, 1864, and is a son of Dr. Caswell Bruton, prominently identified with Cherokee matters and for years a citizen of the nation. He was born near Spadra, Arkansas, where the Cherokees on their migration to the Indian country west of the Mississippi seem to have tarried; received his education in that locality and, after reading medicine, located at Clarkville, that state. He held a membership in the Arkansas State Medical Association and was a Confederate surgeon in General Stand Watie's regiment. The paternal grandfather, Rev. John Bruton, was a leader in Arkansas politics at an early day, serving several terms in the state legislature. He settled at Spadra in the early years of the nineteenth century, where he passed the best years of his active life and departed from his useful earthly labors. The Bruton family was originally Scotch, in whose tongue it is "Broughton;" then was transformed into Brewton and Bruton. It took root in America near Charleston, South Carolina, and the time of the ancestral migration hither was prior to the Revolutionary war.

Dr. Bruton, the father of Wilson 0., married in Arkansas and the long and active period of his residence in the Cherokee country was spent in the old Suquoyah district between Fort Smith and Webber Falls. His wife was Miss Jane E. Chisholm, daughter of Thomas Chisholm the last hereditary chief of the Cherokees, who came to the new home of his people in 1838, the year when, as a tribe and nation, they took possession of their lands. Mr. Chisholm was a prominent figure among the Cherokees until his death, his remains being buried near Maysville, Arkansas. Mrs. Bruton was twice wedded, first to Major J. B. Lynde, a Connecticut man. Dr. Bruton died in 1890, his wife having passed away on March 23rd of the preceding year. By her first marriage she was the mother of Alice, who became the wife of Dr. William 0. Owen and died in Lynchburg, Virginia, where her life was passed. Of the two children now living born to Dr. and Mrs. Bruton, Mrs. Carrie Breedlove of Muldrow was the elder and Wilson 0. of this sketch, the younger.

The boyhood of Mr. Bruton was passed in the vicinity of Muldrow and his education was obtained in the public schools of the Cherokee nation, the high school at Tahlequah and the Lucas private school at Fort Smith. After several years of law reading he reached his majority, was admitted to the Fort Smith bar and practiced both in Arkansas and in the Cherokee courts. From the founding of Muldrow in 1888 he maintained his residence and office there and was only absent when official business called him elsewhere. As a partner of Judge Littlejohn. he also opened the first law office at Sallisaw, his last regular practice being before the Dawes Commission in 1900. His suits in the Indian courts were largely civil and chiefly involved the right of occupancy of real estate and the ownership of improvements. He was therefore especially well qualified to assume the task of assisting in the settlement of the land complications between the Cherokees and the United States. From 1888 to 1893 Mr. Bruton was also associated in merchandise with John W. Breedlove, and in 1905 he engaged in the hardware business as a member of the Bruton Hardware Company, two years later continuing in the same line under the style of Bruton, Blakely and Goodman. He was one of the organizers and president of the Citizens' Bank, the first institution of the kind in Muldrow, but since liquidated; is a large property owner in the city and has aided substantially in the improvement of its business district; and through both his purchases and allotments is the owner of agricultural land in Sequoyah County.

Mr. Bruton played an important part in the realization of statehood; was chairman of the county committee for the election of 1907, which resulted in the success of every Democratic candidate on the ticket, and has ardently supported his party ever since. In the fall of 1908 he was defeated as a candidate for legislative representative from Le Flore and Sequoyah counties. Under the territory, however, he has served as mayor of Muldrow for several terms and has been a member of its educational board, being in business, in law and in public service one of the leading citizens of the place and section. He is also a leading Odd Fellow and Mason, of especial prominence in the latter order. In 1900 he was made grand senior deacon of the Masonic Grand Lodge of the Indian territory; became grand junior warden the following year, grand senior warden in 1902, deputy grand master in 1903 and grand master in 1904. In his religious faith he is a Methodist. On March 7, 1886, Mr. Bruton married at Cottonwood Miss Mollie L. Goodman, daughter of Jesse B. Goodman, formerly of Mulberry, Arkansas, but now of Muldrow. Mrs. Bruton was born in December, 1868, and has become the mother of the following: Caswell, who is associated with his father in business and married to Nina Smith; and Robert, who is now in his eighteenth year.


HAMNER G. TURNER

A prominent farmer of McIntosh County, was one of the framers of the constitution of the state of Oklahoma. He was born in Wood County (then Putnam County), Texas, April 13, 1856, and is a son of General George P. M. and Harriet (Portwood) Turner. The Portwoods were among the first settlers of Jefferson, Texas, where Mr. Portwood built the first residence; he also cleaned the bayou and ran the first steamboat that ever reached Jefferson. In 1810 he moved to Texas, and was for many years prominent in the Democratic party. He served in the war for the independence of Texas and possibly in the war of 1848.

General Turner came to Texas in 1854 and became bookkeeper in the state land office at Jefferson. He met his wife there and they were married in 1855. He remained there until the beginning of the Civil war, and raised a company of cavalry, joining the Confederate army. He was engaged in several battles, serving in the Eastern and Central Confederate army. He was present when Governor Johnson was killed, and caught him as he was falling from his horse. When General Beauregard took command General Turner overheard his instructions from General Johnson, which were to "let the battle continue along the lines as it is now being fought and the Confederates will gain the battle." The enemy was then on the retreat, and if followed the victory was sure, but a halt was called, reinforcements came to the enemy and the battle was lost.

General Turner enlisted as captain and was discharged as colonel of his regiment. At the beginning of the war he moved his family to Kosciusko, Mississippi, where they remained until 1869. He practiced law until 1871, and then moved to Memphis. While living in Mississippi he was elected to Congress on the Democratic ticket, but as reconstruction had not yet been completed the "carpet-baggers" at Washington would not confirm the election. Upon settling in Memphis General Turner formed a partnership with Judge John R. Sales for the practice of law, under the firm name of Turner & Sales. In 1876 General Turner was elected attorney general of the Criminal Court of Memphis, Tennessee, to succeed Luke Wright, of Memphis; he was elected by the Democratic party and held the office eight years. During his term of office he established the "Memphis Evening Scimiter," and continued it for several years after retiring from office. His health failing, he sold out his interests and in 1895 located in Muskogee, where he practiced his profession until his death, April 21, 1900.

General Turner was twice married. By his first wife, who died in 1873, he had seven children, four of whom lived to maturity, namely: Hamner G.; Fannie G., wife of Dr. W. B. Berry, of Memphis, Tennessee; Scott G., of Old Mexico; and Lillia G. General Turner married (second) Mrs. Clary L. Kountz, widow of Captain Kountz, connected with the Erie line of steamboats, of Evansville, Indiana, and no children were born of this union, and Mrs. Turner now resides in Birmingham, Alabama.

H. G. Turner attended school in Mississippi, and took a course at Memphis Business College. He did the first work on the paper conducted by his father, and soon after came to Eufaula, in what is now McIntosh County, Oklahoma. He located where he now resides, in a portion of the old Creek territory. Mr. Turner is a self-made man and owes his success to his energy, ambition and good management. At the time he located in McIntosh County he had but five dollars in cash, and this he gave to his wife before going to work. He worked first on a railroad, and later in the year returned to purchase the claim where he now resides. He first purchased twelve acres of land and a log cabin fourteen by fourteen feet, for which he paid one hundred and sixty dollars. Since statehood he has become owner of eleven hundred and forty acres, buying a portion of the claims from the Indians.

During the year of 1892 Mr. Turner moved to Checotah, and in the spring of 1898, when Checotah was incorporated, he was elected the first mayor, and he was reelected at the regular election in 1899. He moved again to his farm in 1900, but he himself remained in Checotah until the expiration of his term. In 1906 Mr. Turner was elected a delegate from the Eightieth District to the constitutional convention, and was one of the leading members of the convention. He was a member of the executive committee, and the committee on Public Institutions and State Buildings, County Boundaries and State School and Land Committees. He also served on the committee on Convention Printing and Reporting, and the committee on Securing Public Health Sanitation and the Practice of Medicine and Pharmacy.

Since the advent of statehood Mr. Turner has devoted his time and energies to his farming and stock raising interests. He has been very successful, and is considered one of the representative, public-spirited citizens of McIntosh County. He is a member of Checotah Lodge Number 86, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, also of Checotah Lodge Number 20, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He has filled all the chairs in the order and is a member of the Rebekahs and the order of Eastern Star. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias of Checotah. His wife and children are members of the Catholic church, belonging to Eufaula parish.

Mr. Turner married, March 31, 1880, near Lindon, Texas, Fannie X., daughter of Captain James and Lou M. (Hawkins) Scott, the latter family being among the leading Cherokee and Creek Indians. James C. Scott was white, from Mississippi, of Scotch-Irish parentage. He had two brothers, William T. and John W. William Scott is deceased, and his children live near Scottsville, Texas; John is also deceased, and his family are scattered, some living in Oklahoma and some in Mexico. Mr. Scott's wife was the daughter of Benjamin and Rebecca (McIntosh) Hawkins, the latter a daughter of Chief William McIntosh, who made the treaty with the whites in the state of Georgia for the transfer of the Creek Indians to the Territory. Chief McIntosh lost his life by assassination just before the treaty was fully consummated, but it was followed out by both parties as planned by him. The McIntosh family are mentioned at considerable length in connection with the sketch of Cheesie McIntosh elsewhere in this work.

Captain James Scott reared and educated his children near Jefferson, Texas. He raised a company of soldiers for the Confederate army, but did not himself serve on account of practically losing his eyesight. In his younger days he ran a steamboat, but as he grew older he retired from the river and devoted his time and energy to his plantation and slaves. He was a large slave-holder, owning altogether some five hundred. He died in 1903, in Texas; his widow survives him and lives with her daughter, Mrs. Turner. Mr. Scott and his wife had four children who lived to maturity, namely: Rebecca O, deceased, wife of R. M. Whaley, also deceased, and their family lives in Oklahoma; Fannie X., Mrs. Turner; and James B. and W. T., of McIntosh County, Oklahoma.
Mr. Turner and his wife are parents of five living children, namely: Hattie P., Annie R., G. P. M., Hamner G., Jr., and Marguerite E.


EDWARD T. MOORE, M. D.

One of the most highly esteemed representatives of the medical profession in Checotah is Dr. Edward T. Moore, who was born in St. Joseph, Missouri, in 1856, a son of Dr. W. P. and Margaret (Dysart) Moore. The parents were both natives of Kentucky and came to Missouri soon after their marriage. Dr. W. P. Moore was one of the first graduates of the McDowell Medical School of St. Louis, afterwards known as the Missouri Medical School, and now comprising the medical department of the St. Louis University. He immediately embarked in the practice of his profession at St. Joseph Missouri, where he remained until the beginning of the Civil war, and then moved to Sherman, Texas, taking his slaves with him. Leaving his family comfortably established in Texas, he returned north and entered the Confederate service. At the close of the war he resumed his practice and brought his family back to St. Joseph, where he successfully practiced until his death, November 17, 1899, at the age of seventy-one years, having been engaged in the active practice of his profession about fifty years. He left a widow and eight children. Dr. W. P. Moore and his wife had fourteen children, ten of whom reached maturity, and Mrs. Moore still resides at St. Joseph. The eight children surviving are: Dr. E. P.; Mattie, of St. Joseph; Maggie, also of St. Joseph; Anna, wife of Melton Phillips, of Amarillo, Texas; Mary, wife of Wood Masters, of Maryville, Missouri; Nancy, of St. Joseph; Gertrude, wife of M. B. Morton, of St. Joseph. Missouri; and George, of Amarillo, Texas. W. S. Moore, another son, died at Maryville, Missouri.

Dr. E. T. Moore attended the public schools of St. Joseph, Missouri, but received most of his literary and classical education under special tutors, mainly under Charles Raffington, of St. Joseph. At the age of nineteen years he entered the Missouri Medical College of St. Louis, from which he graduated at the age of twenty-two, with the class of March 5, 1879. He located first at Maryville, Missouri, where he remained two years and then engaged in the practice of his profession at DeKalb, in the same state, where he remained until 1903. Dr. Moore came to Oklahoma in the spring of 1903, locating at Checotah, where he now has a fine and constantly increasing practice. Being the only physician in Checotah who is a graduate of so famous a medical school, this fact lends him much prestige, and he has patients not only in all parts of the town of Checotah, but often has calls to visit patients eight or ten miles distant in the country around the town. He devotes his entire attention to his professional duties and responsibilities, and is a conscientious, careful practitioner who enjoys the full confidence of all who know him.

Dr. Moore is a public-spirited citizen, and interested in every movement for the welfare and development of the community. He is an ardent Democrat, and actively interested in the success of his party. He has a wide circle of friends, and stands well in his profession. He and his wife are members of the Christian church.

Dr. Moore has been twice married, first, in 1886, to Mary E. daughter of Dr. Preston and Mary E. Ramsey, of DeKalb, Missouri. Dr. Ramsey and his wife were parents of five children, namely: Dr. Morgan, deceased, whose family resides at Topeka, Kansas; Francis, deceased; Mary E.; Mrs. Moore; Lenora, of Topeka; and James E., also of Topeka. Mrs. Moore died and left two children, Paul G. and Frances. Dr. Moore married for his second wife in 1900 Augusta, daughter of W. R. and Mary Massey, of Plattsburg, Missouri; no children have been born of this union.


GEORGE JONES

A land owner of moderate means, a successful business man and a Democrat of some local influence, George Jones of Checotah is a factor in the progress of McIntosh County, one of the most stirring sections of Oklahoma. This can be said of few men of his age, for his birth in Dade County, Missouri, occurred at as late a year as 1881. He is a son of W. C. and Mary E. (Rector) Jones. Both his father and his grandfather (Samuel Jones) were pioneers in the livestock and horticultural development of southwestern Missouri, the former being the first to raise the famous red apples for which Missouri has become so famous. He also became one of the leading merchants of Dade County, and in their day both father and grandfather were prominent men in that part of the state. Samuel Jones, the forerunner of the family in the southwest, left the ancestral state of Virginia in the early part of the nineteenth century and migrated to Tennessee. His longing for the great country beyond the Mississippi brought him to Missouri, with his family, and soon after settling in the state he moved to a locality near Springfield, which was then a little settlement of less than a hundred people. Mr. Jones there established a general store, farmed to some extent and commenced to deal in livestock, especially mules and horses. In the latter line, which has long since become one of the greatest industries in the state, he was the virtual pioneer in southwestern Missouri. While thus engaged this energetic, able and honorable man was accidentally killed, his death occurring in the later portion of 1860, a few months before the commencement of the Civil war. The deceased left a widow and six children, the latter of whom long resided in and near Springfield. John M. Jones, the eldest o: the children, who joined the United States Home Guards at the outbreak of the Civil war, was killed by bushwhackers in 1862; Denton now lives in San Antonio, Texas; Hilary and W. C. (father of George Jones) are also deceased; James M. is a resident of Greenfield, Missouri; and Julia died as the wife of A. W. Scott of Holdenville, Oklahoma.

As mentioned, W. C. Jones was both a merchant and a fruit grower. He was born near Springfield and his mercantile operations were chiefly centered at Everton, Dade County. The years 1861 to 1865, inclusive, were spent in the Confederate army, during which period he followed the fortunes of Generals Joseph Shelby and Sterling Price in the Trans-Mississippi department. He fought at the battles of Lone Jack and Wilson's Creek, participated in Price's raid and even followed the cause of the Confederacy into Mexico. Upon his return from the front he at once resumed his mercantile business, locating at what is now Rock Prairie, Dade County, and afterwards continuing his enterprises at other points in that section; but the basis of his final competency of considerable proportions was laid in the purchase, cultivation and other improvement of his lands. W. C. Jones died in 1894, at the age of fifty-six years, his widow still residing at Everton, Missouri. They became the parents of Julia, who married F. H. Bullington, of that place, a large breeder of livestock; and George, of this sketch.

Mr. Jones obtained his education, in its earlier stages, in the public and high schools of Everton and later at Drury College, Springfield. He then entered the service of the Frisco system as accountant and bookkeeper in its construction department, and afterward associated himself with his uncle.

A. W. Scott, in the building of one hundred and twenty miles of masonry on the Midland Railway. In 1902 Mr. Jones identified himself with the outside work of Wells & Adams, bankers of Quincy, Illinois, he being the manager of this department of their business. After a year he assumed the same line of work for the Walton Trust Company of Butler, Missouri, and he still looks after their interests in connection with his real estate business.

In 1905 Mr. Jones located at Checotah, and since then has made considerable investments in land, some improved and other tracts in a raw state. In these ventures, as in his business connections, he has met with marked success. Since coming to Checotah he has also become editor and part owner of the "Enquirer," the official organ of the county Democracy, which has materially added to his substantial standing in the community.


WILLIS T. RICHARDS

President of the Richards-McSpadden Company of Tahlequah, was born in Madison County, Mississippi, June 6, 1847, a son of a teacher who brought his family to Marshall, Texas, on January 1 of the next year, and passed the remainder of his life in the Lone Star state. In 1854 he settled in Wynnsboro, Wood County, and remained there many years; he engaged in business as a merchant, having a store in Stout and later in Belcherville, where he died in 1897, seventy-seven years old. The father, Willis J. Richards, was born in Jackson, Alabama, was liberally educated, and became a teacher in young manhood. He was connected with the schools of Mobile and subsequently with those of Daleville, Mississippi, from which point he moved to Wynnsboro. Though he took no active part in the war of the rebellion his sympathies were with the south and his sons were in the Confederate army. He was politically a Democrat, but had no ambitions for himself in the way of office or honors. He married, in Mississippi, Missouri A. Wiley, who died in Belcherville, Texas, in 1906, and their children were: James W., who died at Allen, Texas in 1901; Frances, Mrs. London, of Nocona, Texas; Velinda L., married Thomas Thurman and died in Belcherville, Texas, in 1899; Willis T., of Tahlequah; John G., of Ringgold, Texas; Columbus F., of Ryan, Oklahoma; Emma, wife of W. L. Toombs, who died at Belcherville, Texas; William L., of Ryan, Oklahoma; Mrs. Missouri D. Flournoy, of Nocona, Texas; and Robert L., of Chickasha, Oklahoma.

Willis T. Richards was educated in Wynnsboro, Texas, and his first business in life was to join the ranks of the Confederate army and render service in its behalf. He was a member of the Forty-sixth Infantry, under Colonel Jamieson, and did duty as guard and scout with the Trans-Mississippi Department of the army, taking part in no pitched battles.

In the fall of 1866 he began his mercantile career as a clerk in the store of John W. Wilson at Quitman, Texas, and during the eight months there employed he received his first experience in the line of dry goods. After spending nine months in school he returned to the dry goods counter and worked on a salary of from fifteen to seventy-five dollars a month until leaving the state in 1884. He reached Tahlequah in November, 1884, and save for the first three years spent in the city has been identified with mercantile pursuits. His connection with the city and community has grown in size and importance with the progress of years, until his personal estate, growing from less than one hundred dollars in the beginning, now embraces property interests and business assets of considerable magnitude.
Upon reaching Tahlequah Mr. Richards had but eighty-four dollars in cash, a wife and three children, and a few household effects. For some time he was employed at various occupations in order to support himself and family until able to establish himself in the confidence of his fellow-citizens, and for three years was chiefly employed as clerk or helper in a lumber yard, where his salary was but forty dollars a month. He left this position for one at fifty dollars a month in a dry goods store, and a year later formed a partnership with J. A. Lawrence in the line of dry goods, the firm name being J. A. Lawrence and Company. Their store burned completely on April 14, 1893, but they immediately resumed business, and on April 15, 1894, another fire swept away their store and stock, and they again resumed business, and continued until April 1, 1896, when Mr. Richards sold his interests to his partner. On the 15th of the same month he engaged in business with J. W. McSpadden, and the firm of Richards and McSpadden continued until 1905, when Mr. McSpadden died. On January 1, 1906, the business was incorporated with a capital of twenty-five thousand dollars, with Mr. Richards as president, J. A. King vice president, and Fred W. Dedman as secretary and treasurer. They own the building in which their business is located, fifty by one hundred feet, and the establishment is one of the leading mercantile houses of Tahlequah. The president of the firm is an example of the results to be obtained from enterprise, industry and courage, and he has won the respect and admiration of all with whom he has come into contact. Besides his mercantile interests Mr. Richards has invested in real estate in the city and a block of property along the main street belongs to him. He has erected residence property, and has in many ways shown his interest and faith in the progress and growth of the old Cherokee capital.

In his political opinions Mr. Richards is a Democrat, and though not caring for political honors, was elected a member of the Cherokee Council and served one term several years ago. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and his family holds to the Missionary Baptist church.

Mr. Richards married on July 1, 1875, in Quitman, Texas, Mary, daughter of his employer John W. Wilson. She was born in Tyler, Texas, and is one-sixteenth Cherokee through her mother. The issue of this marriage is: Anna M., wife of Oscar N. Goddard, of Tahlequah; S. Bruce and Roddy D., young men living at Tahlequah, the latter a graduate of a male seminary; Ella 0., who finished the course in the female seminary at Tahlequah, in 1909; and Mary and Willis, still pupils of the Tahlequah public schools.


SAMUEL 0. BEATY

The ex-postmaster of Westville, Samuel 0. Beaty, was born in Washington County, Arkansas, July 25, 1841, a representative of a family identified with that state since about the time of its admission to the Union, when Alexander Beaty, Samuel's father, moved there from Clinton County, Kentucky. He was born in that County in Kentucky in 1804, and grew up on a farm. His father, also Alexander Beaty, was an Irishman who settled in Kentucky about the time of its admission to the Union of states; he and his wife passed away in Clinton County, the parents of: Pleasant, John, Miles, Allen, William, Abner, Samuel, James, Joseph, Marion and Thomas. All passed their lives in Kentucky save William, Thomas and Alexander. William reared his family in Henry County, Missouri, where he died at ninety-seven years of age; Thomas died in Washington County, Arkansas, where he had resided many years; and Alexander as already mentioned, became a pioneer of Arkansas, where he died in 1894.

Alexander Beaty, Jr., was a soldier in the regular army of the United States when a young man, and was part of the government escort provided by the Cherokees when they were transferred to their new home in the west; he belonged to Major Pinney's command. He married Emily Holt, whose father was a native of North Carolina, where she was born in 1814; she died in Arkansas in 1899. She and her husband were plain country people and members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Their sympathies were with the Union during the Civil war, and he changed from Democratic to Republican principles on the issues of the war, furnishing sons for the Federal army. Their children were: Samuel 0.; Sarah, who married John Elms and died in Arkansas; Thomas, who died in infancy; Frank, who was a Union soldier and is now a farmer in Arkansas; Alvin, of Washington County, Arkansas; William, of Billings, Oklahoma; Catherine, who died young; and Mary J., who married George Guthrie and resides in Pauls Valley, Oklahoma.

Samuel O. Beaty had only the advantages of a common school education in the country. He enlisted in Company C, Fourth Kansas Cavalry, first under Colonel Cloud and later under Colonel Brown, in General Blunt's command. He took part in the Battle of Pea Ridge, Shiloh, Vicksburg, Helena, the attack and capture of Memphis, the fight at Arkansas Post and the Camden "settee," where the Union troops met defeat. In 1864 he veteranized and spent the remainder of the war in Arkansas, in the neighborhood of Fort Smith and Pine Bluff. He was assailed by guerrillas in Arkansas while away from his fellows on the lookout for rations, and was shot to death, as his host supposed, for when he fell they rode away saying. "There is one damned Yankee dead." The Fourteenth Kansas was mustered out at Lawrence, Kansas, when the dire effects of the Quantrell Raid were still strongly felt, and Mr. Beaty saw the horrible results of the raid on the evening of its occurrence, having been on detail at Fort Leavenworth when the courier from Lawrence reached there for aid.

On resuming civil life Mr. Beaty began work at St. Joseph, Missouri, on the Union Pacific system. It extended then only about one hundred and fifty miles west from the Missouri river, and he remained with the company until its lines spread over thousands of miles and had connections with points on the Pacific coast. He was in the train service as conductor, also in the express service as messenger for the Wells Fargo and Pacific Express Companies. During many years of his service he had headquarters in Nebraska, which state he left in 1903, when he abandoned railroad work and took up something better suited to his age. He returned to Washington County, Arkansas, and engaged in fruit farming near Lincoln. He subsequently came to the Cherokee Nation and planted a nursery, which he disposed of and was shortly afterward appointed postmaster of Westville, the date of the appointment being August, 1906; he succeeded W. L. Holt, deceased.

In his political affiliations Mr. Beaty has always been a Republican. He has had small opportunity to become active in local matters because of his present employment. He has become a property owner in Westville. and has erected the brick business building in which the post office is located.

He is a member of the Chapter in Masonry, is past chancellor of the Knights of Pythias and is a member of Custer Post, Grand Army of the Republic, of St. Joseph. Mr. Beaty has never married. He has a host of friends, and is well liked and much esteemed. He is a public-spirited citizen, and much interested in progress and improvement in the city.


JUDGE BLUFORD W. ALBERTY

Judge Alberty of Westville, is a worthy representative of one of the noted pioneer families of Adair County. This family was founded among the old settlers, and its personnel has come to be of the most numerous. Its members have participated in the industrial and official affairs of the regime preceding statehood, as well as since. The progenitor of the family, John Alberty, the grandfather of Judge Alberty, was a German-American who brought his family on a flatboat up the Arkansas river and settled on the public domain eight miles southeast of where Westville now stands, which particular tract has been recently allotted by Frank C. Adair. He married a Cherokee wife, Mary Wright, a quarter-blood, in the old Cherokee Nation in Georgia, and came into Oklahoma in 1832. John Alberty was born in 1797, and died in Oklahoma in 1873; he was a soldier in the war of 1812, and enlisted during the last year in the war. At the time of the Civil war his sympathies were with the south, as he was a slave holder. He was a member of the Christian church, and his children were: Moses, killed in 1872; Jack W., father of Bluford W.; Cornelius, who died in 1860; Jesse C., who passed away in 1902; Frances, who married first Dr. Thornton and for her second husband, J. W. Ellis, and died in 1900; and Elizabeth, married Richard Eaton, now deceased, and she passed away in 1899.

Jack W. Alberty was born in the Cherokee Nation in 1834, and died in 1905. He followed in the footsteps of his father during the greater part of his life, but took some interest in Cherokee politics. He was a member of the Cherokee National Council and. associate justice of the Cherokee Supreme Court. As a farmer he accumulated some property, and in the Civil war served in the Confederate army, in Colonel Adair's regiment of the Indian Brigade, having a brother, Jesse C., in the same command. He married Clara Buffington, daughter of Georgia Cherokees, Ellis Buffington and wife. She was the widow of Ellis West and had a daughter Charlotte, who became the wife of J. W. Markham, who died in 1877, and his widow married W. L. Wilder. Jack W. Alberty married Clara West in 1852, and their children were: Bluford W., already mentioned; Ellis B., who died in 1880; Moses, who passed away in 1891; Joseph, of Grove, Oklahoma; and Elizabeth J., who died in infancy. In 1864 Mrs. Alberty died, and Mr. Alberty afterwards married Maria Hildebrand, by whom he had eleven children, those who grew to maturity being: Fannie, who married William Thomas and died at Westville; Lizzie, married (first) W. G. Holland and (second) Bern Ward, and died in 1902; Martha, became Mrs. George Vandiver, now of Centralia, Oklahoma; William P., of Grove, Oklahoma; Addie, wife of Henry Collins, of Kinnison, Oklahoma; Ida, now Mrs. E. E. Adair, of Adair County; Minnie, the wife of John T. Adair; and Elbridge, a resident of Westville.

B. W. Alberty was born February 17, 1853, on the parental homestead, and while growing to manhood acquired sufficient knowledge in the country school to enable him to teach, which calling he began at the start of his career, and followed this profession ten years. His last work in the schoolroom was just previous to the advent of statehood, after he had passed through his official life at the capital. He entered Cherokee politics as a Downing adherent. He pursued his- reading of law alone, buying Blackstone and Greenleaf and such other text-books as were essential to admission to the bar, and was admitted to practice, beginning in the Indian courts. He was elected by the National Council to the post of associate justice of the Supreme Court, and subsequently appointed attorney general of the Nation, to fill a vacancy. His next office was that of assistant executive secretary, under Chief Buffington, and when this service ended, in two and one-half years, he was made superintendent of the domestic department of the Cherokee Male Seminary at Tahlequah.

Upon leaving his official duties Judge Alberty resumed teaching, and at the time matters were shaping for statehood, he won the Democratic nomination for County Judge, and was elected by a majority of two hundred and ten votes. On March 18, 1907, he was admitted to practice before the United States Courts, and later on was admitted by the Supreme Court of the state. Judge Alberty has farming interests in the county where his family allotments were taken, and owns property in Westville. He is very popular in the community, and has a large number of friends and admirers; he is well informed on all subjects of the day, and is a most progressive, public-spirited citizen. He is a master Mason, a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he has served as steward during much of the quarter century of his membership.

In September, 1884, Judge Alberty married, in Adair County, Mrs. Louvenia Adair, daughter of A. G. Lewis, of Evansville, Arkansas, where she was born in 1852. The Lewis family are white. Of this union the children are: Catherine C., wife of Grover Buffington; John A., a teacher in Adair County; Anna; Bluford W., Jr.; and M. Cherokee.


RICHARD YANCEY NANCE

A member of the legal firm of Nance & Priest, of Westville and Stilwell, and a resident of the latter city, was born at Murfreesboro, Tennessee, August 14, 1860. His great-grandfather, Clem Nance, founded the family in Rutherford County, Tennessee, where he passed the remainder of his life. Frederick Nance's son, Richard Nance, was a slave holding planter who settled near Murfreesboro, and died in 1857, aged about sixty-seven; his children were: Benjamin F., father of Richard Y.; John W.; Amanda, who became Mrs. Mattox and died in Tennessee; Refvy, who became Mrs. Hicks; Richard L., who died recently, a member of the Arkansas state senate.

Benjamin F. Nance, who died near Murfreesboro, Tennessee, in 1869, at the age of thirty-four, was born in the same place; he served in the Confederate army. He married Nannie Hight, whose father, William Hight, was a farmer. The children of this union were: Richard Y.; Mrs. Elizabeth Hoskins, who resides on the Stone River battlefield near Murfreesboro; Tabitha, who married Minos Carlton, of Rutherford County, Tennessee; and Cyrus F., who died unmarried. Mrs. Nance married her husband's brother, John W., for her second husband, and their issue were: John W., Mary and Naomi, all reside in the vicinity of the old home in Murfreesboro.

Richard Y. Nance received his elementary education from the free and private schools of his native state, and attended Beach Grove College in Coffee County, same state, taking higher branches. In 1879 he left Tennessee and established himself in Arkansas, for a time teaching school in Madison County. Later he located in Bentonville, and there engaged in the produce business, remaining there until 1892 in that capacity, and in that year he was honored by election to the office of judge of probate for the county, which he filled one term.

Upon resuming private life Mr. Nance went to Polk County, where he took up the study of law, and was there admitted to the bar in 1896, before Judge Frezell. He opened his office in Mena and practiced there four years, after which he spent some months in Booneville before coming into the Cherokee Nation in 1900. He stopped first at Westville, and in 1905 went to Stilwell, and since 1907 has been a member of the present firm. In his practice Mr. Nance represents practically all the leading business interests of Stilwell, and is a member of the County Bar Association. He has many friends and is highly esteemed, and fraternally is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He was reared in sympathy with Democratic principles, and his affiliations have always been with that party. While in Mena he did his share of work in party campaigns, and was assistant prosecuting attorney of Polk County one term. In his profession he has taken high rank as counsel and advocate, and has conducted some of the most important legal contests carried on in Adair County. He is legal advisor of Stilwell, and in defense of the protest filed against it for county seat, at the hearing before the supreme court in June, 1909, his speech was notable, marking him as one of the learned and able members of the profession in the state. The impression left by his arguments led to the conviction that the cause was just and would prevail; the character of his arguments was convincing, his manner quiet and courteous, and his high regard for the dignity of the body he was addressing was apparent in every passage.

Mr. Nance was married, in Bentonville, Arkansas, April 10, 1883, to Cora Lena, daughter of Joseph Crick, who settled in Arkansas from near Murfreesboro, Tennessee, where Mrs. Nance was born in 1866. The children of this union are: Benjamin Franklin and Joseph Frederick.


GEORGE OWEN GRANT

Postmaster of Stilwell was born in Delaware County, Oklahoma, December 25, 1883. His father, Edward A. Grant, was a white man who came into the Cherokee country from Trenton, New Jersey, where he was born in 1851. He married, near Grove, now in Delaware County, Oklahoma, Mrs. Susan Inlow, daughter of Benjamin Paden, and sister of Benjamin F. Paden, among the pioneer settlers in the community of Stilwell. Mrs. Grant was born in Alabama and died near Grove, Oklahoma, in 1888. By her first husband she had children as follows: Thomas and Henry Inlow, of Grove, Oklahoma; Mrs. Laura Paden, a teacher of Stilwell; and Mrs. Carrie McLaughlin, of Vinita, Oklahoma. Mr. Grant and his wife had three children, namely: Edward, who died young; Donald; and George Owen.

George Owen Grant takes his second Christian name from the honored senior senator from Oklahoma. He grew up in the home of his sister, Mrs. Laura Paden, until the time of his entry to the Cherokee National Male Seminar}' at Tahlequah, from which he graduated in 1902. Following this he spent two years as a teacher in district schools, spent a year in farming, and then entered the postoffice in the capacity of assistant to his sister, postmistress at Stilwell. Although young, he had taken a lively interest in Cherokee politics and adhered to the policy of the National party. When the state was admitted and national politics became an issue, he became a supporter of the Republican party. He received the appointment of postmaster of Stilwell in May, 1907, and was assisted in the duties of the office by his wife. But he resigned as postmaster on June 30, 1909, and is now engaged in the real estate business. His and his wife's allotments of land are in Craig and Mayes counties.

Mr. Grant is a member of the Masonic Blue Lodge and of the thirty-second degree Scottish Rite. He is also a Woodman of the World, being consul commander of the Stilwell Camp. He is an enterprising, public spirited citizen, and takes great interest in the progress and development of his native state and county. Mr. Grant married, in December, 1906, Lillian, daughter of Judge Jeter T. Cunningham, mentioned elsewhere in this work. They have no children.


JAMES L. LUMAN

Mayor of Checotah and one of its leading citizens, he is also a successful merchant. He was born in Logan County, Arkansas, October 25, 1868, a son of Joel N. and Amanda (Weatherford) Luman, natives of North Carolina and Texas. Joel Luman went to Tennessee with his father when a small boy, and when twenty years of age wont with him to Arkansas. He was a farmer, and settled in Johnson, now Logan County. Joel Luman was a member of Company H of the First Arkansas Volunteer Infantry in the Federal army, and served about four years. He served in the department across the Mississippi, and participated in most of the battles fought west of the Mississippi river. He was a private, and he received no wounds. At the close of the war he returned home and engaged in farming. He took no active part in reconstruction controversies, but was a believer in the white man's rule. He removed to Western Oklahoma, where he resided most of the time until his death, which occurred in Seminole at the age of seventy-one years. His wife died in August, 1905. They reared a family of the following children: Aldine, wife of J. L. Craddock, of Oklahoma; J. L.; J. R. of Seminole; Ida, wife of Robert Fulton, of Oklahoma City; W. A., of Watonga; and Olive, wife of J. H. Harrison, of Seminole.

James L. Luman received his education in the public school and the high school at Paris, Arkansas. He afterward spent four or five years teaching, and came to Oklahoma in 1893, teaching one year afterward. He carried on farming until 1899, and then came to McIntosh County and engaged in mercantile business at Texans, remaining there seven years, and in 1907 came to Checotah. He spent the first year of his residence in Checotah in political affairs, becoming a candidate for county clerk, and was beaten by only one hundred and thirty-five votes. In 1908, in company with H. R. Plunkett and J. R. Coker, he engaged in a general mercantile business, under the firm name of J. L. Luman and Company; Mr. Luman retired from the business in 1909.

In 1908 Mr. Luman was elected a member of the council of Checotah, was re-elected in 1909, and by virtue of his office of president of the council, under the laws of Oklahoma, was mayor of the city of Checotah, being the first Republican to fill that office since statehood. He is one of the most prominent Republicans in McIntosh County, and is very popular with all, having a large number of Democratic political friends who stand by him in political matters. He is a successful and enterprising man of business, and discharges the duties of his office with the same conscientious care he would give his private affairs. He is a member of Checotah Lodge Number 20, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and his wife belongs to Cumberland Presbyterian church.

In 1889 Mr.: Luman married Virginia Harriet, daughter of E. Jasper and Mary J. (Bennett) Plunkett. Mr. Plunkett and his wife were among the pioneer settlers of Arkansas; he died in 1886, and his wife still resides on the home place in Logan County, Arkansas. They had the following children who grew to maturity, namely: V. H., Mrs. Luman; John H., of Nashville, Tennessee; N. E. of Logan County, Arkansas; A. J., of Porum, Oklahoma; L. H., of Checotah, Oklahoma; E. A., of Logan County, Arkansas; R. H., of Porum, Oklahoma; A. L., of Logan County, Arkansas; and G. W., of Logan County. Jasper Plunkett served a short time in the United States army. He served as county assessor of Logan County, and politically was a Republican. The Plunkett family were from North Carolina and the Bennett family came from Tennessee. Mr. Luman and his wife became the parents of five children, two of whom died in infancy. The others are: Osa Bertha, born January 22, 1893; Ray Levi, born August 20, 1905; and an infant son born December 25, 1909.


GAYLORD N. BEBOUT

Known in business circles as a man of great ability, tireless energy, and an expert in the exposition of certain branches of the law, Gaylord N. Bebout holds high rank among the popular and successful members of the legal fraternity of Craig County, and has been professionally identified with the organization of many of the leading industries of Vinita, his home city. A son of Aaron S. Bebout, he was born, June 27, 1878, in Knox County, Ohio, of French Huguenot descent, his lineage from John Bibout, as the name was originally spelled, being thus traced: John (1), John (2), John (3), William (4), Ebenezer S. (5), Aaron S. (6), and Gaylord N. (7).

About the middle of the seventeenth century John (1) Bibout emigrated from Amsterdam, Holland, where his ancestors had settled on fleeing with other Huguenots from France to the United States. He located first at Tottenville, Staten Island, near Perth Amboy, New Jersey. He subsequently married Mary Miller, of Scotts Plains, and afterward resided at Piscataway township, Middlesex County, New Jersey, and there, in a deed transferring land, the spelling of his name was changed to its present form. Both he and his wife were living in 1664, and it is believed that at their deaths they were buried in that township. Among his children were two sons, John (2) Bebout and Peter, both of whom were loyal and faithful citizens, serving as soldiers in the colonial wars. Peter married first Sarah Jewell and married second Sarah Darling.

John (2) Bebout married Mary Thurman, whose father was a minister having charge of one of the earlier congregations of Piscataway township, and they reared a large and useful family. Late in life, being the eldest son of his parents, he went to Holland to secure the family's interest in his father's patrimony. He succeeded in his mission, but was poisoned on the eve of his return to America, and was buried there.

John (3) Bebout moved to Somerset County, New Jersey, settling near Vealtown. Enlisting in the Revolutionary army, he fought bravely for the independence of the American colonies. He married Mary Agnew, and to them were born ten children.

William (4) Bebout, born during the Revolutionary war, married Hannah Craig, and lived for a few years thereafter in Sussex County, New Jersey. They became the parents of thirteen children. After the birth of their fourth child they moved to Washington County, Pennsylvania and spent their remaining years near Cross Creek, where they are buried. Ebenezer S. (5) Bebout, born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, married Esther McClure, by whom he had thirteen children, and prior to 1850 settled in Knox County, Ohio.

Aaron S. (6) Bebout was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, February 7, 1848, but was brought up and educated in Knox County, Ohio. A man of ambition and enterprise, he took up his residence in Gatesville, Texas, when that country was comparatively new, and for many years was extensively and profitably employed in raising sheep and cattle. He is now a leading agriculturist of that region, although practically retired from the active labors of farming, and is a stockholder in one of the more important financial institutions of Coryell County. He married Ollie Newell, who was born in Pennsylvania April 6, 1851, but was reared in Ohio and Illinois, being brought up by her uncle, David Newell.

Gaylord N. (7) Bebout, the only child of his parents, was taken by them to Coryell County, Texas, when five years old, and there and in Winfield, Kansas, received his elementary education in the common schools and in "Emporia College" at Emporia, Kansas. Subsequently entering Oberlin College, in Oberlin, Ohio, he completed the work of the junior year, after which he took a full course in a commercial college. Going then to Ann Arbor, Michigan, he matriculated at the law department of the University of Michigan, from which he was graduated in 1905. During his vacations Mr. Bebout made excellent use of his leisure time by representing the Underwood View Company, gaining not only valuable experience but adding to the contents of his purse. He was subsequently admitted to the Michigan bar at Lansing, on the strength of his diploma, and later took the examination for the Kansas bar, intending to locate in that state. Going immediately to Topeka, he was sworn in as an attorney, and, fortunately, met Hon. R. B. Welch, one of the prominent lawyers of Kansas, who advised Mr. Bebout to make a tour of inspection in the Indian Territory before deciding on a location. Accepting the advice so sincerely given him, Mr. Bebout's trip resulted in his settlement, in 1905, in Vinita, Craig County, where he tried his first case in court, and has since remained in the active practice of his profession.

When the Avery-Roberts Investment Company was formed Mr. Bebout drew the articles of incorporation and was its attorney as well as the attorney of its successor, the Fidelity Farm Loan Company, being likewise a director and its examiner of titles. Since that lime he has organized by corporate articles twenty or more companies, among them being the old Chieftain Publishing Company of Vinita, and many lead and zinc companies, and also those for developing oil and gas and water power, chief among these being the Grand River Power Company. Mr. Bebout was appointed city attorney to. fill an unexpired term, and, in 1907, was the Republican nominee for County Attorney, but with the entire ticket suffered defeat. Mr. Bebout's professional practice has now settled down to real estate, probate work and corporation practice, and the examination of titles to real estate, in which branch of law he is recognized as an expert. He was admitted to the Oklahoma bar before Judge Gill, of Vinita, and after statehood for United States practice before Judge Campbell.

On September 12, 1901, at Dunkirk, New York, Mr. Bebout married Elbe Esler Mann, a daughter of Horace Mann, a kinsman of Horace Mann, the noted educator, and they have one child, Gaylord Newell Bebout, Jr. Fraternally Mr. Bebout is a thirty-second degree Mason, and belongs to the Aeasia Fraternity of Ann Arbor.


JOSEPH L. COX

One of the pioneer business men of Stilwell, is a man who has carved his success as a merchant, and now has one of the leading mercantile establishments of the city. His residence in the city dates from February 5, 1898, so he has passed some dozen years among the rapidly increasing populace of Stilwell. He was born in Washington County, Arkansas, August 8, 1875, a son of Andrew Y. Cox, who was born in the same county, became a farmer, and died there August 14, 1905, at the age of seventy-seven. His family was one of the early ones in the state, as his father, Coleman Cox, settled in that locality about the time Arkansas became a state. Coleman Cox was from Kentucky, owned a farm and held slaves. His children were: Coleman, Anderson, John, Burwell, Samuel, Andrew Y., and Maria, wife of John Morrow.

Andrew Y. Cox passed an uneventful, quiet life, devoting himself to farming pursuits. When the war began his moral support was given to the cause of the Union. He married Sarah J. Hughey, a Tennessee woman, whose parents moved from Nashville to Russellville, Arkansas, in 1859, when she was eighteen years old. She survives her husband, and is the mother of: Henry; Jack; Burwell; William; Joseph L.; Maud, wife of Ed Garrison; and Ruth, who died unmarried.

Joseph L. Cox lived in the country until attaining his majority, spending the last two years farming on his own responsibility. The earnings he thus saved, about two hundred and twenty-five dollars, he brought to Stilwell and invested in goods when he launched out into business for himself. He kept his stock, chiefly notions, in a temporary structure on Front street, but subsequently sought larger accommodations on Division street, where his stock represents an outlay of ten thousand dollars. The successful and profitable business he has done is evidenced by the fact that he is now the owner of considerable real estate in Stilwell; on one piece of property there is a business house and opera house combined and he also owns residences, from which he reaps a good income.

In the vicinity of Evansville, Arkansas, where Mr. Cox was reared, a Democratic sentiment prevailed, but the influence of his father's principles of Republicanism and the stand taken by him at the time of the Civil war have been instrumental in converting him to the cause of that party. He retained these principles on his coming to the Cherokee Nation, and held them in abeyance until statehood gave him an opportunity to act in accordance; he cast his second presidential vote for W. H. Taft, in 1908. Mr. Cox has been a councilman of Stilwell, and has rendered other service to the town of equal value. He gives his moral and financial support to all projects looking toward better conditions in the city, and his influence was exerted in the contest which decided the location of the county seat. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and his family attend the Methodist church.

Mr. Cox married, December 28, 1899, in Stilwell, Olive, daughter of John Snellen, who came from the vicinity of Elston, Missouri, to Oklahoma; she was born in the former place in 1885. Three children have been born to them, namely: Otis (deceased), Brewster and Doris.



Back to Page 20

Page 22

Back to Biographies





Back to the Main Index Page for Oklahoma
©Genealogy Trails