The History of Oklahoma Biographies Vol. II JESSE L. MORTON Well grounded in legal matters and possessed of sound judgment and great intellectual
powers, John C. Starr, of Vinita, is recognized as one of the leading members of the Oklahoma bar. As a lawyer
he has met with eminent success, winning the confidence and respect not only of a large clientage but of the entire
community. A citizen of the Cherokee nation, he was born October 15, 1870, in Flint District, Indian Territory,
a son of James and Emma J. Starr.
by Luther B. Hill
One of the first merchants and one of the most successful men of Stilwell, came into what is now Oklahoma first in 1890, and located at Webber's Falls, where he was employed by Hayes Mercantile Company; during the eight years he remained with them he acquired good experience in this line. He returned to Arkansas and after spending some months in farming removed to Stilwell, where he invested his entire capital in a mercantile business, in a very modest way. The town was then a new and promising village. Mr. Morton was born October 11, 1864, in Fort Gibson, Oklahoma. His father, William H. Morton, was a soldier in the Union army, and died the year after the war. He was born and reared in Crawford County, Arkansas, and was only about twenty-eight years of age at the time of his death. He was a son of Andrew Morton, who came to Crawford County from East St. Louis, Illinois, became a farmer and took an active part in the politics of the county of his adoption. He was a member of the Arkansas legislature before the war, and is buried fourteen miles northwest of Van Buren, the site of the old family home.
Andrew Morton married Elizabeth Larimore, and the issue of the marriage was: Lucinda, who married James Gregg and died near Van Buren; Martha, who became the wife of Elam Carter, and resides near Boonsboro, Arkansas; Mary, who married William H. Oliver and died in Crawford County; Nancy, who became the wife of Minnie Thurston, both deceased; Jesse L., who was killed at Van Buren, Arkansas; James, who died while a soldier in the Federal army, and is buried in the National cemetery at Fort Scott, Kansas; and William H., who is buried in the neighborhood of his old home. William H. Morton married Rebecca Mickey, daughter of Alexander Mickey, of Lawrenceville, Illinois; she died in 1865, leaving Jesse L. as her only child.
The education of Jesse L. Morton was received in a country school, and he remained with an aunt, Mrs. Oliver, until he reached manhood's estate. When about sixteen years of age he began farming, and in this way earned his first money. He grew cotton, worked as a farm hand, and also did carpenter work while gathering together his first few hundred dollars, which be invested in a mercantile business in Stilwell.
On engaging in business Mr. Morton formed a partnership with W. J. Whinnery, putting in a stock of some thirteen hundred dollars in a frame building on Front Street. The firm so prospered that at the end of a year Mr. Morton bought out his partner, and has since conducted the business alone. The enterprise was opened in 1898, and the first surplus earnings went into the construction of a substantial stone building on Division street, where he did business until 1909, and then erected a new stone business house at the corner of Division and First streets, forty by one hundred feet, in which he was able to place a much larger stock of general merchandise. He has also erected four residence buildings, showing his interest in the town and his faith in its substantial growth. He has served on the city council and as recorder of the city. In politics he is a Republican, and has been identified with the party organization in Adair County, acting as delegate to the first Republican state convention at Tulsa, where he was the nominee of his party for representative to the legislature at the first state election, but was defeated with the rest of the ticket. He is vice president of the Republican Club and is a Royal Arch Mason. He has met with flattering success in his business enterprises, and is enterprising and energetic in his methods.
Mr. Morton first married in 1890, in Arkansas, Lucy Clonch, who died in 1892, childless. In 1903 he married Miss Bella Jordan, born in Tennessee, where her parents died and where she grew up as an orphan. Mr. and Mrs. Morton became the parents of children as follows: James Howard and Jesse L., Jr.
EDWARD C. JULIAN
Who has served as county clerk of McIntosh County since Oklahoma became a state, is descended from families which have been active figures in its wars and have been identified with the pioneer mining development of California and Colorado, as with the establishment of business in the old Indian territory. He is a native of Dawson County, Georgia, born on the 2nd of April, 1866, and is a son of Robert M. and Susan J. (Willis) Julian. France was the old-world origin of the family, and North Carolina the central American territory from which various branches spread into the west. Of Huguenot stock, therefore independent and brave, the members of the family closely allied themselves with the cause of the Revolution, and one of its representatives was a staff officer under Washington during the war for independence. The branch which stands for the Julian family of this review spread from North Carolina to Georgia in 1828, and the son of the original migrator, B. F. Julian, became a soldier of the war of 1812. His brother Hampton also served in the field, and members of the family who were too old or too young to shoulder a musket or beat a drum did what they could to feed, clothe and generally assist the fighting patriots. B. F. Julian and his wife reared five sons- M. S., Webb, Robert M., Samuel and Andrew J. B. F. Julian was twice married, having two daughters by the first union and two sons by the second, and all the family are now living in Georgia. The family of M. S. Julian reside at Long Beach, California, where the father died many years ago; while Samuel and Andrew, with their families, live near Pittsburg, Texas.
Robert M. Julian, the father of Edward C., was a farmer who crossed the continent from Georgia to California in 1849, and was among the first discoverers of gold on the Pacific coast. While his party was creeping over the western plains cholera appeared among the emigrants, and several of its victims died. Mr. Julian's companion on the overland trip was Green Russell, and the two also went to Colorado after their return from California, previous to the Civil war, and discovered gold on the Platte river of that territory. They were working their claims to good advantage when the war commenced. They then returned to Georgia, by way of the Grand river section of Oklahoma. Robert M. Julian served the greater portion of the war as a lieutenant of a company in the Twenty-second Georgia Infantry, or (eighteen months) as a prisoner of war near Sandusky, Ohio. Afterward he engaged in farming and stock raising in Georgia, and in 1888 moved his family to Indian Territory. Two years later he located in the Cherokee nation, about eight miles southwest of the present Checotah, where he still resides. still actively engaged in farming on an extensive scale.
In 1865 Robert M. Julian married Miss Susan J. Willis, daughter of Colonel P. E. and Martha (Kitchens) Willis, both families being of Scotch ancestry. William Willis, the grandfather, emigrated from Scotland to Georgia, where he married Jane Daugherty, a woman whose father was an Irishman and his mother a half-blood Cherokee. In 1833 he migrated to the Indian territory with Colonel Ridge and settled six miles west of the Arkansas line, where he engaged in the mercantile and freighting business. He not only brought his teams with him, but the stones and machinery for the first grist mill in the Indian country. He was therefore the pioneer miller and the pioneer merchant among the whites of Indian territory. There may have been some government supplies in Fort Gibson at that time, but Mr. Willis' store was the only mercantile establishment of a general character. Two or three years after settling in the locality indicated he was accidentally killed in a wrestling match, leaving a widow and three children: P. E., deceased, whose family resides in Georgia; Edward, whose whereabouts are unknown; and William, whose death occurred on the isthmus of Panama. After the death of William Willis his widow married a Mr. Barnhill and soon afterward returned to Georgia. P. E. Willis reared his family in that state and had three children:-Susan J., mother of Edward C. Julian; Sarah, who married George Hulsey, a resident of Georgia; and Emma, wife of A. Sutton. Mr. and Mrs. Robert M. Julian became the parents of the following: Edward C, of this sketch; Robert W., a druggist of Porum; William B., deceased; Eva, who married W. A. Reid, of Muskogee; and Pearl, who lives at home. The mother of the family died in 1904, faithful to the Methodist faith.
Edward C. Julian was educated in the public schools of Georgia and in 1891 came to Oklahoma to engage in farming and stock raising. These occupations he closely followed until the birth of the state, when he was elected with the other new officials to the office of county clerk. Mr. Julian has also enjoyed a business experience as traveling salesman for Hall, Howard and Company of Louisville, and the Wenneker Morris Candy Company of St. Louis; so that his experience and his training have well qualified him for the discharge of his official duties. His relations with the benevolent orders are with the Checotah Lodge No. 20, I. O. 0. F.; the encampment of Rebekahs and all its branches except the Uniformed ranks; and with the local lodge of Knights of Pythias.
JOHN TUCKER MYATT
One of the leading hardware and implement dealers of Ponca City, Oklahoma, has resided here since he alighted from the first passenger train that brought settlers into the Strip, and he staked land joining the west of the townsite of the new town. He took claim to half of the northeast quarter of section 21, township 26, range 2, and after some nine years of contest in the courts received a clear title to the land. A portion of this tract, under his supervision, is still being cultivated and yields its annual crop, the other part having been platted and put on the market to meet the demands of the town's growth, and is known as Myatt's Addition to Ponca. Personally Mr. Myatt farmed his land only one season after his settlement here. In 1894 he engaged in mercantile business, and for seven years dealt in groceries. His pioneer business house he replaced in 1904 with a new, two-story brick, and in 1901 he discontinued the grocery and in its stead opened up a stock of hardware and agricultural implements, which line of trade he has since handled. Also he annually buys and ships many thousands of bushels of corn.
Mr. Myatt is a native of Graves County, Kentucky, where his youth was passed on a farm, and where his education was received in the rural schools and in the high school of Wingo. His father, A. Utley Myatt, went to Kentucky from Middle Tennessee, married there, and died in the prime of life. His widow, formerly Miss Rachel Plumlee, is a member of one of the staunch pioneer families of Kentucky, the Plumlees having been engaged in agricultural pursuits there for several generations. Mrs. Myatt now lives with her son, John T., in Ponca. Her other children are J. H., of Ponca; Della, wife of J. M. Tartt, of Ponca; and W. M. of Graves County, Kentucky.
John T. Myatt is unmarried. Politically he is a Republican and fraternally is an Odd Fellow.
AUSTIN S. PERRYMAN
HE has been prominently connected with the livery business in Ponca City during the past seven years, and he is also one of the extensive farmers of the locality, a member of the firm of Brett and Perryman, well known ranchmen and farmers of Osage County. He came to Oklahoma at the time of the opening in 1893, making the run from the Kansas line near Arkansas City, and he staked a claim east of Ponca City, but there was another claimant for the land, and the contest between the two lasted for five years and resulted in a decision against Mr. Perryman. He had brought with him into Oklahoma something over a thousand dollars, but owing to this contest the money disappeared in two years, and much other money as fast as he could earn it, fighting the case in the court of the last resort, and although he eventually lost he was in reality the rightful owner of the land. While this contest was going on he was leasing land of ihe Ponca Indians not far off, and his profits from the soil largely found an exit from his purse in holding up his end of the litigation for a home. Following the termination of his leases among the Poncas he became interested in the Osage country, and for several years he has been associated with George H. Brett in the operation of a ranch of two thousand acres near Foraker, Oklahoma.
Mr. Perryman came to Oklahoma from Osage County, Kansas, where he had lived for some five years, and prior to this he had lived in Mercer County, Missouri, his birthplace on the 2d of March, 1865. His father was Austin Perryman, who had gone there from Illinois in an early day, but he enlisted at the last call of President Lincoln for troops and never returned home from the war. Soon after this his widow took her family to Dallas County, Iowa, where she died in 1874. She was before marriage Parthena Hall, a daughter of Thomas Hall, and the children of the union were: Ollie, who married S. L. Scott and died in Ponca in 1895, and Austin S., of this review. Mrs. Perryman married a second time, her second husband being William Potter, and a son William, of Oregon, was born of this marriage. After his mother's death Austin S. Perryman returned to Mercer County, Missouri, and was reared there, his home during boyhood being with an uncle, Hiram Hunter, and also with his grandfather Hall. He worked out as a hand much in his early life, and was sparingly educated on this account. Coming to the west in 1886, he stopped in Osage County, Kansas, and spent a year as a farm hand there, and then began farming for himself. Soon after this he was married in Osage County to Miss Myrtle Fox, their marriage having been celebrated on the 2d of March, 1887. She was a daughter of Charles Fox, from New York, and was born in the same house in which she was married. She is the mother of Charles, Warren, Gladys, Hattie and Ollie.
Mr. Perryman is a Republican in politics, is a Modern Woodman and a member of the Workman order. He owns seven lots in block 46 in Ponca City, and in 1906 built the best livery barn in the town on this property. He is one of the most active business men in the little city of Ponca, and is a man of the highest standing in commercial circles.
HE has the honor of being an 1889 pioneer to Oklahoma, a representative of the highest office of the city of Ponca and a business man of the state for more than twenty years. When Oklahoma was opened for settlement Mr. Hutchison opened one of the first bakeries in Guthrie, and was in business there some three and a half years, and then from that time until June, of 1897 was in the same line of trade in Mulhall. At that date he began his residence in Ponca City, and has maintained a bakery here ever since and has given much time and effort to the public service.
He was born in Newburgh, Scotland, June 22, 1864, a son of James Hutchison, a hotel man whose ancestors had lived about Newburgh for hundreds of years. James, the father, married Jeanette Fotheringham, and both passed away in Newburgh, and of their two children, a son and a daughter, the latter, Elizabeth, married a Mr. Speed and died in Newburgh. Jeannette Haggert was a daughter of Mrs. Hutchison by a second husband, David Haggert. After doing the work of the common schools James Hutchison, the son, began learning the baker's trade in a shop in Newburgh, but he soon had a chance to go aboard an Atlantic steamer and continued his work and followed the sea for eighteen months, his ship being the "Furnessia" of the Anchor Line, and when he came to America to settle she brought him to New York. His wanderings in the United States show him to have migrated to Ohio, where he found work in Cleveland and Massilon, from Ohio to Michigan, from Michigan to Kansas, where he spent fifteen years as a workingman, and he left Winfield of that state to identify himself with the country destined for a new state.
Soon after locating in Ponca Mr. Hutchison got into politics and was chosen mayor as a Republican representative in 1901 and served two years. He had previously had some legislative experience as a member of the council, and when chosen mayor he took hold of matters with a vigorous hand. During his administration the famous deep well was dug which furnishes the city with an abundance of fine, pure water and his administration also extended the water works, granted a franchise for electric lights, built crossings and forced the building of miles of cement sidewalk and erected the city building. In 1907 an era of good feeling prevailed in Ponca, and all parties united in choosing city officers. Mr. Hutchison was named without solicitation by the body designed to select candidates, and during his second term as mayor the sewer mains and outlets were laid and the contract for those on the south side of the town were let, while the north side work was finished.
Mr. Hutchison is a Royal Arch Mason, and was twice master of Ponca lodge. He married in Winfield, Kansas, May 30, 1886, Cora, a daughter of S. M. Martin, from Monmouth. Illinois, where Mrs. Hutchison was born. Roy Hutchison, the only child of this union, is stenographer and bookkeeper for the Farmers State Bank of Ponca.
RICHARD B. CHOATE
A native of the Cherokee nation and a resident of Bunch, Adair County, since his boyhood days, Richard B. Choate has been actively identified with official affairs for many years, and is now serving as assistant Indian agent. He was born, January 24, 1863, in what was then Flint District of the Cherokee nation, a son of Sanders and Eliza Choate.
Sanders Choate was born, in 1821, in Willstown, Alabama, and came to the Cherokee nation with the emigrants of 1835. He was twice married. He married first Jane Riley, by whom he had one child, George W. Choate. After her death he married Eliza Childers, who died in 1896, leaving six children, namely: Emma, wife of John H. Adair, of Sallisaw, Oklahoma; Joshua; Isabelle, wife of Houston J. Payne, of Fort Smith, Arkansas; Mary Alma, who married Dr. R. L. Rye and now resides at Porter, Oklahoma; John C., who married Fannie Foreman; and Richard B.
Coming with his parents to Bunch in 1870, Richard B. Choate obtained his elementary education in the public schools, completing his studies at the Cherokee National Male Seminary in Tahlequah. He subsequently taught school two years, first at Skinboyan, then at Sallisaw, and afterward at Round Springs, near Bunch. Turning his attention subsequently to agricultural pursuits, Mr. Choate was for a time engaged in farming and stock-raising. Entering then upon an official career, he was assistant clerk for the National Council, afterward becoming chief of that body. For two years thereafter he was elected district clerk, and still later elected district judge, which office he held when tribal government was abolished. In these various positions Mr. Choate served most satisfactorily to all concerned, giving to his duties his best efforts, and now as assistant Indian agent is equally as faithful.
Mr. Choate married, January 24, 1885, Lydia H. Striker, a full blood Cherokee. She was educated at the Cherokee Orphan Asylum in the Cherokee nation. Mr. and Mrs. Choate have two children, namely: Elmer E., ten years of age; and Robert M., thirteen years old. Politically Mr. Choate is an earnest supporter of the principles of the Republican Party. He was defeated as a delegate to the first constitutional convention, but went as a delegate to the first Republican state convention, and helped nominate Frank Frantz for governor. Mr. Choate is three-eighth Cherokee and is proud of his Indian blood. He is loved by all the Cherokee people, and has the confidence of all with whom he comes in contact.
MOSES E. ADKINS
Conspicuous and noteworthy among the foremost citizens of Choteau is Moses E. Adkins, junior member of the mercantile firm of Gray & Adkins, and secretary and manager of the Choteau Trust and Banking Company and of the firm's business establishment. A son of Morris Adkins, he was born, December 24, 1871, in Marion County, Arkansas.
Receiving his preliminary education at Raleigh Hill, Arkansas, Moses E. Adkins was fitted for a business career at the Central Commercial College in Sedalia, Missouri. Coming then to Choteau, Mr. Adkins first entered the employment of C. Hayden as a clerk, but later accepted a position with V. Gray and R. E. Carrington, general merchants in this place. Subsequently, having obtained a practical insight into the business, and having by judicious economy saved some money, Mr. Adkins bought out Mr. Carrington's half interest in the business, which has since been continued under its present name of the Gray & Adkins Mercantile Company. A man of great financial enterprise and ability, Mr. Adkins afterwards organized the Choteau Trust and Banking Company, of which he is general manager and secretary, and he is carrying on an extensive and substantial business both as a banker and as a merchant. He was likewise one of the founders of the Mid Continent Life Insurance Company of Muskogee, Oklahoma, and is the owner of valuable real estate holdings in several Oklahoma counties. When he made his advent in Choteau sixteen or seventeen years ago Mr. Adkins had but limited means, but he has steadily climbed the ladder of attainments, and by his industry, foresight and straightforward business dealings has obtained a place of prominence among the best business men of the county.
Mr. Adkins married Hattie Sloan, a daughter of A. G. and Louise Sloan, of Choteau, and they have one child, Eugene Sloan Adkins, born March 26, 1897.
JOHN CALEB STARR
Having obtained his elementary education in the public schools of his native district, John C. Starr entered the Cherokee National Male Seminary at Tahlequah in the fall of 1886, and in December, 1890, was graduated from the institution with the degree of B.S. Desirous of fitting himself for a business career, he attended the Commercial College of Fort Smith, Arkansas, for three years, in June, 1891, was graduated from the bookkeeping and banking department; in May, 1892, received his diploma from the shorthand and typewriting department; and in June, 1893, was graduated in the plain and ornamental penmanship department. While at Fort Smith Mr. Starr attended the lectures given at the college on commercial law, and read law, also, becoming well versed in its various branches.
Returning then to the Cherokee nation, Mr. Starr taught school in the Territory for awhile, abandoning the teacher's desk to become official stenographer for the Cherokee National Council, a position which he retained a number of years. Being appointed assistant treasurer under E. E. Starr for the Cherokee Nation, John C. Starr helped distribute among the Cherokees six million, six hundred forty thousand dollars, paying to each Cherokee $265.70, the payment beginning in May, 1894, and closing in September following.
Locating in Grove, Delaware County, in the fall of 1894, Mr. Starr opened a general store, and was soon after appointed postmaster, a position he held through the remainder of President Cleveland's administration. In February, 1897, when the little town became incorporated, he was chosen the first mayor on the Democratic ticket, receiving fourteen of the twenty-four votes cast at the polls.
Coming from there to Vinita in the spring of 1898, Mr. Starr again turned his attention to the study of law, and in July, 1902, was admitted to the bar in the United States Court for the Northern district of the Indian Territory, and has since been admitted to the Supreme Court of Oklahoma; to the United States Circuit Court of the Eastern District of Oklahoma; and in February, 1909, was admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court. He read law in the office of Judge Turner, of Vinita, and of ex-Congressman R. W. Blue, and tried his first case at Sallisaw before the Federal Court.
In July, 1900, Mr. Starr, as official stenographer for the Cherokee nation, assisted Attorney W. W. Hastings in making the final rolls, in this capacity helping the United States Commission to the Five Civilized Tribes in making up the final roll of Cherokee citizens. Leaving the work on July, 1905, on account of a dissension between himself and the nation's attorneys, Mr. Starr returned to Vinita and began the active practice of his profession. One of his most signal legal victories was won in the famous Moses Riley case, which he took up after the Rileys had been denied enrollment by the United States Commission to the Five Civilized Tribes, he and his partner, Mr. Patten, going to Washington and securing a reversal of the decision before the Interior Department of the Government.
Another important legal victory was won by Mr. Starr and his partner, Mr. Patten, in the Cherokee allotment contest cases of Herman Knight vs. Eva Waters and William J. Twist vs. Eva Waters, involving fifty acres of oil land in the middle of the flat rock oil pool near Tulsa, Oklahoma. On May 10, 1909, the secretary of the interior decided the case against Eva Waters, the client of Starr & Patten, and a motion for review was promptly filed and Starr & Patten won the case on review for their client. They are both interested in the Olympus Oil Company which secured the oil lease on the land, paying a bonus of twenty-six thousand dollars, and guaranteeing the royalty at twelve per cent to pay Eva Waters an additional twenty-six thousand dollars. This was considered one of the greatest land contest cases that ever went up on appeal to the secretary of the interior from the state of Oklahoma.
Becoming actively interested in the development of the oil interests of Oklahoma in the fall of 1905 Mr. Starr with his various companies, has now control of upwards of four thousand acres of rich oil lands, on which are one hundred .and twenty-five or more oil producing wells. He is a stockholder in the Vinita and Chelsea Oil Company, which has a lease on the original Webbes Pool land near Bartlesville, and also fine tracts west of Dewey and west of Ramona. He is likewise president of the Missouri Mining Company, of the Olympus and Riley Oil Companies, of the Florence Oil Company and of the Nakomis Oil Company, and he is secretary of the Willard Oil Company, all carrying on work in the Aluwe field. Mr. Starr is also president of the Morgan Oil Company, in the Bartlesville field; and owns a one-fifth interest in the Grove Oil Company operating in the same place. He owns a half interest in the Grove Abstract Company doing business in Delaware county.
Prominent in local affairs Mr. Starr has never shirked the responsibilities of public offices, but has three times been elected alderman of Vinita. He has been president of the City Council, having been unanimously chosen to preside over this body when Vinita was declared a city of the first class by proclamation of Governor Haskell.
On October 16, 1894, in St. Joseph, Missouri, Mr. Starr was united in marriage with Elizabeth B. Zimmerman, who was born in March, 1870, near St. Joseph, Missouri, a daughter of John T. Zimmerman, and into their household four children have made their advent, namely: Jessie B.: James Clarence; and Martha E. and Charles J., twins.
HANS C. R. BRODBOLL
Who is engaged in the real estate and insurance business in Ponca, is classed with the pioneer settlers of the town. He made the race for a home along with the great throng that came over the borders of the Cherokee Strip in September, 1893, and he won a tract adjacent to the town of Ponca on the east, his entry being described as the northeast quarter of section 27, township 26, range 2 east of the Indian meridian. He defeated all claimants for the tract before the Department, and in the course of a few years received his patent. On this place he has ever since maintained his home. As the town grew and property to the east of it was in demand, he platted sixty acres of his farm, which is now dotted over with dwellings and lawns and is an integral part of Ponca.
About twelve years ago Mr. Brodboll engaged in the real estate and insurance business, becoming the pioneer insurance man of Ponca, and he has since been interested in these lines. Much of his time, however, has been given to politics. Indeed, from the time of his settlement here he has, as a Republican, shared in political work. He was chosen a member of the Oklahoma council in territorial days from district No. 1, and was a member of the committees on Agriculture and Highways, Enrolled and Engrossed Bills, Public Institutions, Printing, Quarantine and Animal Industry, and Counties and County Affairs. A bill introduced by him added the Kaw reservation to Kay county for judicial purposes and paved the way for its becoming a part of Kay county. He aided in the establishment of the University Preparatory School at Tonkawa and supported needed legislation for placing the territorial affairs on a business basis and insuring efficiency in all state departments. He was appointed by Governor Barnes a member of the Board of Regents of the Agricultural and Mechanical College at Stillwater, was reappointed by Governor Jenkins, succeeded himself at the hands of Governor Ferguson, and was continued to statehood by Governor Frank Frantz. During his incumbency the school expanded wonderfullv. Its campus was dotted with buildings for the accommodation of the students, and Morrill and Assembly halls were erected, as also were the dairy barn, the machine shop and the engineering building.
Mr. Brodboll was born at Christiana, Norway, November 30, 1861. He came to Oklahoma from Wahoo, Nebraska, where his father, 0. R. Brodboll, was engaged in the milling business, the family having come to this country and settled in Nebraska in 1869. 0. R. Brodboll died in Lindsay, Nebraska. He and his wife Johanna, nee Hanson, were the parents of six children, of whom only one, the subject of this sketch is now the only living member of the family. Mr. Brodboll's earliest education was received at a district school at Wahoo, Nebraska, and subsequently he entered the Northern Indiana University at Valparaiso, Indiana, where he graduated in 1883. He made his home in Wahoo and Lindsay until 1889, when he went on the road and traveled in the interest of public entertainment, covering a large portion of the United States.
In October, 1901, Mr. Brodboll married, in Ponca, Miss Winona Walker, a native of Iowa and a daughter of Z. B. Walker, who died in Dawson, Alaska. Her mother, who before marriage to Mr. Walker was Miss Ella M. Kerr, has since his death become the wife of Mr. Harry Veatch. Her children are Mrs. Brodboll, Harry H. Walker of Topeka, Kansas, and Mrs. H. M. Payne, of Kansas City, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Brodboll have no children, and Mrs. Brodboll is interested with her husband in the real estate and insurance business already referred to. Also she is custodian of the city library, the nucleus of the Carnegie library which she, as a member of the library committee, was instrumental in bringing here.
Fraternally Mr. Brodboll is a Knight of Pythias, an Odd Fellow and an Elk. Personally he is a man below the medium in stature, he has a frank, open face, he is quick and positive, and his appearance is that of a man in the prime of life.
JAMES L. PACE
Enterprising and progressive, possessing; excellent judgment and good business ability, James L. Pace holds a place of prominence among the leading farmers and stockmen of Muskogee county, and is numbered among the active and valued residents of Coweta. A son of the late W. T. Pace, he was born, in 1871, in Dyer county, Tennessee, and he grew to manhood in his native state.
W. T. Pace was born in Dyer county, Tennessee, and as a young man served for three and one-half years during the Civil war, being under the command of General Patrick Claiborne, whose regiment was attached to the Army of the Tennessee. He was a farmer by occupation, and was busily employed as a tiller of the soil until his death in 1901. His wife, whose maiden name was Stacey S. Strawn, still resides in her native county, her home being at Newbern, Tennessee. To her and her husband seven children were born, as follows: Jessie L., wife of G. E. Hamilton; James L., the special subject of this sketch; C. B., a Cumberland Presbyterian minister; Etta, wife of W. C. Scott; Una, wife of W. E. McCorcle; Patsey, deceased; and Willna, formerly of Tennessee, where his family now resides.
After leaving the public schools James L. Pace took a course of study at the Southwestern Baptist University in Jackson, Tennessee, completing his early education at Bethel College, in McKenzie, Tennessee. At the age of twenty-two years he began his professional career as a teacher, and taught for awhile with good success, but was afterwards engaged in mercantile pursuits in Tennessee, first in Newbern and later at Tiptonville. Coming to Tulsa county, Oklahoma, in 1903, he located at Broken Arrow, where for two years he was employed as assistant cashier and bookkeeper in the local bank.
During the ensuing two and one-half years Mr. Pace was engaged in mercantile pursuits in the same place, after which he was insurance agent there for a year. In 1907 he took up his residence at Council Hill. Muskogee county, and on November 20 of that year organized the Farmers' State Bank, of which he was made assistant cashier. Selling out his interests in the institution six months after its incorporation, Mr. Pace was engaged in the stock and butchering business until December 1, 1909, when he disposed of that at an advantage. In January, 1910, he moved onto his farm at Coweta, Oklahoma, where he will engage in the raising of alfalfa, fine hogs and other stock. He expects to make this his permanent home.
On January 6, 1909, Mr. Pace married Sallie P. Gentry, daughter of the late W. E. Gentry and Mrs. Sallie D. (Carr) Gentry, of whom a brief sketch may be found on another page of this volume. Politically Mr. Pace supports the principles of the Democratic Party. Fraternally he belongs to Lodge No. 141, A. F. & A. M., of Broken Arrow, and to Lodge No. 127, I. 0. 0. F. of the same place. Religiously, true to the faith in which he was reared, he is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
STEPHEN WATIE PEAK
MR. PEAK, of Grove, was born in Oklahoma July 22, 1876, and was educated at the Cherokee Orphan Asylum, from which institution he graduated June 12, 1891. His parents were both natives of Carolina, and both died in Oklahoma, the father dying in 1879, and the mother, who was born in 1850, died in 1882. Besides Stephen they had two sons and one daughter, but James and Arlie are deceased.
After his graduation Mr. Peak taught school until 1907, and was then elected to the office of county superintendent of schools, being the first to hold that office. In 1898 he was elected district clerk and served one term. He has spent his whole life practically in school work. He is a Cherokee Indian, and has considerable influence among his people, having made many public speeches and worked for statehood with great zeal and earnestness. His father was also a well informed man, having been educated in mission schools near Sallisaw, Oklahoma, and at the time being deputy sheriff of Illinois District.
Mr. Peak married in 1897 Charlotte, daughter of Assistant Chief Wash Swimmer, and she died two years later, leaving one child, Harris. Mr. Peak married (second) in 1902, Maude, daughter of Simon Johnson, a farmer and a native of Oklahoma, who died December 23, 1902; her mother, also a native of Oklahoma, died May 23, 1905. They had two sons, both deceased, and besides Mrs. Peak one daughter, Ida Christman, who lives in Delaware county. Oklahoma. Mrs. Peak was educated in the public schools of Oklahoma. Mr. and Mrs. Peak have three children, namely: Charles Curtis, born July 8, 1903; Jessie James, born December 27. 1905; and Wilson N., born September 3, 1908. S. W. Peak is a relative of Stand Watie, the only Indian General during the Civil War.
K. H. SHEPHERD
HE is a prominent merchant of Brush Hill, also the postmaster of the town, and is interested in farming and stock raising. He was born in Floyd county, Kentucky, December 5, 1869, and is a son of Wesley L. and Eveline (Holbrook) Shepherd. Wesley L. Shepherd moved to Oklahoma in 1893 and located at Brush Hill, near where his son now resides. He leased land of the Indians and engaged in farming. He was one of the earliest white settlers of the section, and now lives at Hoffman, where he purchased a large farm. He and his wife are the parents of seven children, namely: K. H.; Mollie, wife of Benjamin Shepherd; Ruthy, wife of W. I. Pool; S. J. (Buck); Frank P.; Newt; and Cynthia (deceased) wife of John Six. Mrs. Shepherd died in 1907, and Mr. Shepherd married (second) Mrs. Proter.
K. H. Shepherd attended the public school and spent three terms at the State Normal School. He came to Oklahoma with his parents in 1898 and engaged in mercantile business, where he is now located, eleven miles southwest of Checotah. He does an extensive business, and is also interested in the stock business and carries on farming on a large scale. He is the largest stockholder residing in the state of the First National Bank of Checotah, and is its vice president. The bank was reorganized in 1901, and Mr. Shepherd then became one of the directors. He was elected vice president in January, 1909.
Politically Mr. Shepherd is a Democrat, and he was appointed postmaster of Brush Hill in 1898, which office he still holds. He is a member of Checotah Lodge Number 20. Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He stands well in the county, and is one of its representative business men and a public spirited citizen.
Mr. Shepherd married, in 1897, Addie McNally, one-eighth Creek and Chickasaw, and a daughter of V. N. and Susan (James) McNally, the latter one-quarter Chickasaw. Mr. McNally was one of the prominent Creek Indians, being one-quarter Indian. His paternal grandfather was a native of Ireland, and the family was one of the first among the Creek Indians to come to the Nation; the father was a successful man and served during the Civil war in the Confederate army under General McIntosh. By his first wife Mr. McNally had three children, and by his second wife, a Miss Kitchen, his children were: Cassie, wife of Dr. Hamilton, of Hitchita; Susa and Samuel. Mr. McNally died in 1898. Mr. Shepherd and his wife have five children living, namely: Maud, May, Maggie, Frank and Frances Levins.
WILLIAM Wirt HASTINGS
The exclusive legal representative of the Indian nation of Cherokees, whether before the courts of Oklahoma or the national tribunals at Washington. Hon. William Wirt Hastings of Tahlequah, Cherokee county, has been gauged for years as one of the most prominent men in Oklahoma. He was born on the 31st of December. 1868, and is a son of Yell and Louisa J. (Stover) Hastings. His father has virtually spent his life as a farmer in Delaware county and, with his mother (of the Cherokee nation), still resides near Maysville. In their family, besides William W., were John R. Hastings and Dee, the latter now the wife of Grant Victor, United States marshal at Muskogee.
William W. Hastings spent his boyhood on the parental farm, passing also through the public schools and the Male Seminary of the nation, graduating from the latter in 1884 with the degree of B. S. He then attended Vanderbilt University at Nashville, Tennessee, and after graduating from its law department in 1889 taught for a year in the Cherokee Orphan Asylum. In 1890 he was elected a member of the Cherokee Board of Education and afterward supervisor of education for the nation. Mr. Hastings was chosen attorney general of his people in 1891, serving in that capacity for four years, and in 1892 was honored by representing the Cherokee nation at Washington, being its accredited delegate to Congress and all the government departments. In 1896 he was returned to the national capital in the same capacity, and has since been the exclusive Cherokee representative before the commission to the Five Civilized Tribes and the United States government at large. Both his legal and literary training and his high personal character render such an honor beyond criticism. In politics he has always voted and vigorously supported the Democratic ticket.
In local matters Mr. Hastings has financial interests in numerous enterprises about Tahlequah and in the Cherokee country and holds, among other posts of responsibility, the presidency of the First National Bank of the former Indian capital and the new county seat. He is also the owner of valuable real estate; is a Mason of the McAlester Consistory, a Knight of Pythias, and the possessor of every qualification of successful and worthy American citizenship. In August, 1896, he was married to Miss Lulu M. Starr, a daughter of Charles and Ruth (Adair) Starr, both prominent Cherokee families. The children of this union are Lucile and Mayme S.
J. HARRIE CLOONAN
One of the representative citizens of the new commonwealth of Oklahoma and one who did most effective service in securing the admission of the state to the Union is Mr. Cloonan, of Bunch, Adair County. He is a member of the state senate and has been active in the political affairs of Oklahoma during practically the entire period of his residence here. His public spirit is of the most insistent order and he takes a lively interest in all that tends to advance the material and civic progress of the state of his adoption. He is one of the honored and influential citizens of Adair county.
J. Harrie Cloonan was born at Napoleon. Michigan, on the 24th of April, 1875, and is a son of Thomas and Susan (Marron) Cloonan, both of whom were born in Ireland.
Thomas Cloonan came from the Emerald Isle to America when he was about fourteen years of age. and here he was reared to manhood. During the major portion of the long intervening period he has maintained his home in the state of Michigan. He gave to his adopted country leal (sic) and loyal service as a soldier in the Civil war, in which he was a member of Company I, Tenth Regiment of Missouri Volunteers, formerly Company D of the Twenty-second Missouri Volunteers, and he continued in active service during four years of the great internecine conflict through which the integrity of the nation was perpetuated. He took part in a number of the most important battles of the war, and was severely wounded in the battle of Missionary Ridge. He has attained to the venerable age of seventy-five years (1909) and now maintains his residence in the beautiful little city of Coldwater, Branch County, Michigan. The subject of this review was about five years of age at the time of the death of his mother, who was about thirty years old when she was summoned to the life eternal. Of the five children J. Harrie Cloonan, of this sketch, was the last in order of birth; Rosa, who was born about 1869, died in 1882; Timothy was born in 1879 and died about one year later; Kate is the wife of John Ruckman, and they reside in St. Charles. Missouri; and Edward M. is a resident of Monroe, Michigan.
Senator Cloonan was reared to maturity in Michigan, and his early educational discipline was secured in the public schools of Monroe, that state. Later he attended school for a time in Louisiana, Missouri. After attaining to his majority he applied himself vigorously to various lines of enterprise, including identification with railroad work, mining, etc., and in these connections he was employed in various states and territories of the Union. In 1901 he took up his residence in the territory of Oklahoma, locating in the town of Bunch, Adair County, where he has since maintained his home and to whose upbuilding and progress he has contributed in a liberal measure. Upon locating here he turned his attention to mercantile and mining, and he is now engaged along these lines, besides which he is the owner of valuable real estate in the county.
From his boyhood days Senator Cloonan has taken a deep interest in politics, and he is to-day admirably fortified in his opinions as to governmental policies and in his knowledge of effective methods of maneuvering political forces. He was actively identified with political work in St. Louis, Missouri, and also at St. Charles, that state, and upon coming to the territory of Oklahoma he found ample opportunity for continuing his active labors in the field of practical politics. He was a member of the Sequoyah statehood convention held at Muskogee, Indian Territory, in 1893, and took an active part in its deliberations. He is a recognized leader in the ranks of the Republican party in the state, and effected the organization of the party contingent in Adair County prior, to the admission of the state to the Union. He has served as secretary of the Republican district committee and as a member of his congressional district committee, and is also secretary of the Republican central committee of Adair County. He was a representative of this county on the first Republican state central committee of Oklahoma. Though an active worker in the party cause he has not subordinated civic loyalty to partisan fealty, but has given the best of his powers to furthering the development and progress of the state of his adoption. In 1908 he was made the candidate of his party for representative of the Twenty-eighth district in the state senate, having been nominated without opposition, and he was elected by a majority of four hundred votes. He has proved a most valuable member of the upper house of the state legislature, in which ho has held assignment to various important committees.
In the year 1900 Senator Cloonan was united in marriage to Miss Ressie Judd, who was born in the state of Pennsylvania, and who is a daughter of John and Mary Judd, well known residents of Cherokee County, Kansas. Senator and Mrs. Cloonan have three children,-Harrie J., Gertrude M. and Stuart H.
JOHN HENRY DANNENBERG
One of the oldest settlers of Stilwell, was born May 10, 1842, within seventy-five yards of the Cherokee and Arkansas line, in Washington County, Arkansas. He is one-sixteenth Cherokee, and has spent most of his life engaged in mercantile business near Stilwell. He is now occupied with farming. His father, N. B. Dannenberg, was born in Austria, in 1807, and came to Oklahoma when a young man, here engaging in mercantile business and farming near Stilwell. He died in 1862, and is buried in Cane Hill, Arkansas. N. B. Dannenberg married C. A., daughter of John McPherson and wife, born in 1820, and she died in 1903, leaving ten children, of whom three died after reaching maturity. They were: Josephine, who married W. F. Rasmus, of Tahlequah; John H., married Anna E. Ferguson; Henrietta, married John Bean; Susan A. married Jack Walker; Julia A. married T. B. Alberty; Richard M. married Luverne Atkins; Louis L. married Martha Martin; Sarah W. died unmarried; Nannie L. married Joe Alberty; and N. B., Jr., married Lizzie Lindsley.
John Henry Dannenberg responded to the first call for troops for the Confederate army, and served throughout the war. Rather than take part in the surrender he ran away from the command and came to Stilwell, where he has resided since 1871. He formerly lived on the line of Dutch Mills and Evansville, in Washington County, Arkansas. His wife, Anna E., daughter of Thomas Ferguson, was born in Gentry County, Missouri, and was reared in Sangamon County, Illinois. Mr. Dannenberg is a public-spirited and useful citizen, and actively interested in the progress and growth of the new state.
CHARLES H. SISSON
Among the native born citizens of Oklahoma there are few better known or more thrifty farmers than Charles Harris Sisson of Fort Gibson, Muskogee County, who was born December 26, 1859. George Sisson, his father, was of English ancestry and married the mother of Charles, Mary N. Harris, a quarter-blood Cherokee, in Forsythe County, Georgia, in 1856. (Then the old Cherokee Nation.)
Harris Sisson, as he is generally known, has about six hundred acres of bottom land, in cultivation, usually planted to cotton, corn and potatoes. Under the Cherokee regime. Harris Sisson was the last mayor of Fort Gibson, the last judge of the middle judicial circuit and a member of the last Cherokee National Council.
Back to Page 21
Back to Biographies
JESSE L. MORTON
Well grounded in legal matters and possessed of sound judgment and great intellectual
powers, John C. Starr, of Vinita, is recognized as one of the leading members of the Oklahoma bar. As a lawyer
he has met with eminent success, winning the confidence and respect not only of a large clientage but of the entire
community. A citizen of the Cherokee nation, he was born October 15, 1870, in Flint District, Indian Territory,
a son of James and Emma J. Starr.