Oklahoma Genealogy Trails    
    A Proud Member of the Genealogy Trails Group
 

Oklahoma

The History of Oklahoma Biographies Vol. II
by Luther B. Hill
Page 23

JAMES WASHINGTON CRAIG, M. D.

Reputed one of the most skilful physicians of Vinita, James W. Craig, M. D., has here gained a large and remunerative practice, his talents and industry winning him deserved success. A native of Missouri, he was born, February 2. 1871, in Linn County.

The Doctor's father, Francis G. Craig, was born at Georgian Bay. Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada, in 1847. Moving to Linn County, Missouri, he was engaged in agricultural and mercantile pursuits from 1869 until his death in 1903. He married Zilpha Lambert, in Missouri, near Bucklin, a daughter of Albert and Elizabeth (Edgerton) Lambert, who migrated to that place from Ohio. She survived her husband and still lives in Linn County. Of her seven children, five are living, namely: Dr. James W., of Vinita; John W., of Belen, New Mexico; Archibald A., of O'Fallon, Illinois; and Walter and Henry, farmers in Linn County, Missouri.

Attending the public schools of Shelby during the days of his boyhood and youth. James W. Craig assisted his father in the store during his leisure time. He subsequently attended Brookfield College, and at the Northwestern Medical College in Saint Joseph, Missouri, took his first course of medical lectures. Going then to Saint Louis, he was graduated from the Missouri Medical College on March 31, 1891. In 1900 he further added to his professional equipment by taking post graduate work in the Chicago Polyclinic, and in 1907 attended the Post Graduate School of Chicago. Dr. Craig began the practice of his profession in his home town, remaining in Shelby, Missouri, eight years, when he removed to Brookfield. the county seat. In 1902, having a desire to become a part of the social and professional system of the prospective new state, he came to the Cherokee nation, and as a citizen of Vinita has been busily employed in the prosecution of his profession, and has established himself a* a citizen of worth.

The Doctor is a member of the American Medical Association, of the Oklahoma State Medical Society and is vice-president of the Craig County Medical Society. He is insanity physician for the county, and head physician for the Modern Woodmen of America for Oklahoma, having been first appointed for the Indian Territory in 1905, and was made head physician for the state when the two jurisdictions were consolidated. Fraternally he is a prominent Odd Fellow, belonging to subordinate lodge and encampment, and to the Rebekahs, and he is a member of the Grand Lodge of Independent Order of Odd Fellows of the Indian Territory. Politically he is a Democrat, having swerved from the political faith of his father, who was a stanch Republican.

By his first marriage Dr. Craig has three daughters, namely: Isa Olive, Ethel Lynn and Edna Maple/ In June, 1909, the Doctor was united in marriage with Mary Elizabeth Powell, who was born near Columbia, Missouri, a daughter of William Powell, formerly from Virginia. Mrs. Craig,., a woman of broad culture and high mental attainments, was graduated from the University of Missouri, and for a number of years was connected with the high school work of that state, being employed in Columbia. Joplin and other cities.


RICHARD BERRYHILL

A member of one of the oldest Creek families of what is now McIntosh County, Oklahoma, was born on the Arkansas river in what later became Muskogee County, in 1852. He is a son of Samuel and Fannie (Mannawa) Berryhill. The first known ancestor in the paternal line was a Scotchman, who married a Creek woman before her people came to the territory, probably about 1800 or soon thereafter. They came to the Creek Nation among the earliest settlers, locating on the Arkansas river, near where the town of Muskogee now stands. Here Alexander Berryhill (father of Samuel) and his son engaged in farming and stock raising; he had but two children. Samuel, above mentioned, and Jane, who married Washington Conod, a full-blood Creek.

Samuel Berryhill was a soldier in the southern army, and served in the regiment of Colonel D. M. McIntosh; he was killed during his term of service by Captain Reynolds, of a Chickasaw company and regiment. Captain Berryhill had made prisoners some soldiers of the United States army, and Captain Reynolds rode through the prisoners' quarters, abusing them; Captain Berryhill, as a gentleman, became very angry at this treatment of the prisoners under his protection and made strong objections to it. His interference was resented by Captain Reynolds, who, without warning, shot and killed Captain Berryhill. Captain Berryhill's death took place in 1863; he left a widow and five children, namely: James, deceased; Jane, wife of John Bornwell, a half-breed Indian of McIntosh County; Richard; Albert, deceased, and Martha, also deceased. Mr. Berryhill kept slaves before the war. His widow survived several years, and passed away about 1884.

The boyhood and youth of Richard Berryhill were passed principally in McIntosh County, and at an early age he engaged in farming. He began life comparatively poor, having plenty of pasture for stock, but no stock to feed upon it. However, by persistent effort he soon began to own cattle, and before the advent of statehood was one of the large breeders of horses in the vicinity. He began this business in a small way, and invested in better stock as time went on, so that he came to have only the best breeds in that part of the territory. When Oklahoma became a state he gave up his dealings in cattle, in which he had engaged extensively, and took his allotment nine miles south of Checotah, where he improved a fine farm, with a comfortable house and good outbuildings. Later he sold one hundred and twenty acres of his one hundred and sixty acres, and retains forty acres, containing the house and barns, etc. His wife owned one hundred and sixty acres of fine land, eighty acres of which were sold to found the town of Hitchita; of the remaining eighty acres Mr. Berryhill has improved forty acres, and has a handsome home just outside the boundaries of the village of Hitchita, with barns and other buildings in excellent order.

Mr. Berryhill married Josephine, daughter of James and Lovina (Conard) Wadsworth, the former two-thirds Creek. Mr. Wadsworth and his wife had the following children, namely: Joshua, deceased; Mary, widow of Thomas Watts, a Cherokee Indian; Caddo, of McIntosh County; Josephine, Mrs. Berryhill; and Mitchell, deceased. Mr. Berryhill and his wife had no children of their own, although they have assisted in rearing seven or eight orphans, mostly of Indian parentage. Politically Mr. Berryhill is a Democrat, and he takes an active interest in public affairs. He has been a witness of great changes in conditions in the community where he resides, where now so many fertile farms exist, when he was a boy game abounded, such as deer, bears and wild fowls, and the vast prairie was used almost entirely as a range for cattle and horses.


ANDREW J. LOVELL, M. D.

Prominent among the foremost citizens of Council Hill, Muskogee County. Andrew J. Lovell M.D. is distinguished not only for his medical skill and success, but for his personal worth and integrity. A son of Nicholas Lovell, he was born in Denmark, Jackson County, Arkansas, of pioneer ancestry. During the Civil war Nicholas Lovell served on the Union side. Locating in Arkansas at the close of the war, he was engaged in both agricultural and mercantile pursuits in Denmark, carrying on a thriving business until his death in 1889. He married Nancy Goad, whose father, John Goad, was a pioneer settler of Arkansas, and she survived him. dying in 1899. They reared seven children, as follows: Mollie, deceased, was the wife of the late John Rhew; Locie, wife of W. C. Grandy; Nettie, wife of James Westmoreland; J. N. Lovell, M. D., of Bradford, Arkansas; Vena, deceased, married the late A. N. Hodges; Andrew J., the special subject of this sketch; and Belle, wife of Otto E. Jump, cashier of the Citizens' State Bank of Council Hill.

Reared on the plantation of his father in Jackson County, Arkansas, Andrew J. Lovell received his rudimentary education in the public schools of his native county, after which he continued his studies for two years at the academy at Heber, Arkansas. Going then to Memphis, Tennessee, he entered the Memphis Hospital Medical College, from which he was graduated with the degree of M.D. on April 25, 1902. Immediately beginning the practice of medicine. Dr. Lovell met with good success, and in January, 1905. on the fifth day of the month, located at Council Hill, Muskogee County, where he has since built up an extensive and lucrative patronage, his practice being confined not only to the village, but covering the surrounding country within a radius of eight miles. Enterprising and far-seeing, the Doctor, in 1907. enlarged his operations by purchasing from James Faukner, now of Checotah, the first drug store established at Council Hill, and has since managed it successfully.

Dr. Lovell married, in 1889, Miss Stattie Jones, of Tupelo, Arkansas, a daughter of W. H. and Mary (Jelks) Jones, a sister of Dr. Jelks of Searcy, Arkansas, and a cousin of Dr. Jelks, of Hot Springs. Arkansas, and of Dr. J. Jelks, of Memphis. Tenn. The Doctor and Mrs. Lovell had one child. Kenneth J. W. Lovell. The Doctor's wife died on September 15, 1907, and on December 16, 1909, he married Miss Katherine Mount, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. G. Mount, of Ellwood. Missouri. Dr. Lovell is a man of excellent business ability, and is actively interested in various industrial interests in Council Hill, being vice president of the Central Mill and Elevator Company, and one-half owner of the New State Mercantile Company. He is local surgeon for the M., 0. and G. Railroad, and is a member of the State Medical Board, of the South Western Medical Association and of Muskogee County Medical Association. Fraternally the Doctor is a member of Council Hill Lodge, No. 328, A. F. & A. M., and of the Fredonia Eastern Star, No. 8. at Bradford, Arkansas He also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, a member of Lodge No. 228, of Council Hill. Politically he is a Republican.


JOSEPH C. MORTON

The substantial business men of McIntosh County have no more enterprising and active representative than Joseph C. Morton, the pioneer merchant of Hitchita and one of the leading citizens of the village. A son of the late William D. Morton, he was born, September 27, 1865, in Grant, Arkansas, and was brought up in his native state and in Texas.

William D. Morton moved from Georgia, where he was born and bred, to Arkansas, becoming an early settler, and for many years was engaged in farming, at the same time following his trade of a blacksmith. He was a cripple, and on account of his lameness did not serve in the Civil war. He lived for a few years in Texas, but died, in 1887, in Pike County, Arkansas. He married Mary May, who was born in Georgia sixty-three years ago, and is now residing in Hitchita, Oklahoma. They were the parents of six children, as follows: Joseph C., the subject of this sketch; Dora, wife of P. M. Davis, of Hitchita; Mary, deceased, married R. L. Garner, of Pike County, Arkansas; Benjamin, of Clark County, Arkansas: Emily, wife of W. H. Lee, of Hitchita; and Marion A., of Hitchita.

Educated in the public schools of Arkansas and Texas, Joseph C. Morton began the battle of life at the age of twenty years, being employed by the day or month on a farm or in a mill. After the death of his father he returned home, and until his marriage had charge of his mother's farm. Soon after taking unto himself the responsibilities of a married man Mr. Morton located at Checotah, in the Creek Nation, where he lived for awhile, subsequently being located in various parts of the territory. Returning to the Creek Nation in the fall of 1898, he located in what is called Old Hitchita. three miles from the site of the present village of Hitchita. on his wife's claim, where he began farming on a somewhat extensive scale. In 1900 Mr. Morton opened the first store established in Old Hitchita, and conducted an excellent business as a general merchant until the completion of his present establishment in Hitchita, into which he moved in July of 1909. Here he has a large and satisfactory patronage, his stock of general merchandise being one of the best in this part of the county. He takes active interest in the agricultural growth of the town and county, having under a good state of cultivation about four hundred acres of choice cotton and corn land. Mr. Morton was one of the first white settlers of McIntosh County, and when he came here but little of the land was cultivated, the few farmers about here devoting their time to the raising of cattle on the prairies, on which roamed countless herds of horses and stock.

Mr. Morton married, September 23, 1891. in Arkansas, Matie J. Foshee, who is one eighth Creek Indian, being a daughter of L. A. and M. A. Foshee, in whose sketch, which appears elsewhere in this work, further parental history may be found. Mr. and Mrs. Morton have five children living, namely: W. Arthur, Benjamin H., Joseph L., Austin A., and Ohland.

Mr. Morton has been influential in public affairs since coming to Oklahoma, having been appointed postmaster at old Hitchita in April, 1901, reappointed for a term of four years in 1905, and again reappointed he served two terms of four years each. In 1904 he was commissioned notary public, and served until statehood in 1907. During that time he had an immense amount of work to do for the government, an important part of it having been the enrollment of the children born just before statehood. He was the first justice of the peace elected in Turner township, and filled the position satisfactorily for a year, resigning in 1908. Mr. Morton is a stockholder in the Muskogee Wholesale Grocery Company, and is financially interested in real estate in the city of Muskogee. Politically he is independent in the election of local officers and in national affairs, voting according to the dictates of his conscience regardless of party restrictions. Mrs. Morton is a member of the Free Will Baptist church.


FRANK S. GOOD

Standing prominent among the wide-awake, hustling business men of Council Hill, Muskogee County, is Frank S. Good, who established the first grain elevator and grist mill in this place, and has since managed both profitably and to the great advantage of his fellow townsmen. A son of the late Peter Good, he was born, in 1863, in Rockingham County, Virginia.

A Virginian by birth and breeding, Peter Good followed the tide of emigration westward when a young man, going first to Missouri, where he spent a short time, from there removing to Fort Scott, Kansas, which was then a mere trading post on the Kansas frontier. After his marriage he returned to Virginia and spent the year of 1863 in Rockingham County. Returning to Kansas in 1864, he opened a hotel at Fort Scott, and managed it successfully for nearly a score of years. Locating in Liberty, Kansas, in 1885, he bought a tract of prairie land, and for a time was there engaged in tilling the soil. He afterwards carried on farming in Sumner County, Kansas, for awhile, from there coming to the Indian Territory and taking up his residence in what is now Pawnee, where his death occurred at the ago of sixty-six years, in 1903. He was twice married. He married first, Margaret Tipton, of Missouri, by whom he had two children, namely: John H., of Kiowa, Oklahoma, and Frank S., the subject of this brief sketch. He married second, Susie Berdie, of Kansas, and they reared two children. Rachel, wife of John Harvey. of Angola, Kansas, and Andy E. L.

Although he attended school but six months of his life Frank S. Good acquired a practical education through his own efforts mainly, learning to read and write while herding cattle and sheep, and in the meantime receiving some assistance evenings from his father. At the age of fourteen years he began to be self supporting, working first as a farm hand for eight dollars a month, his wages being raised a little each season. At the end of eight years, having by wise economy and prudent expenditure saved some money, Mr. Good rented land in Montgomery County, Kansas, and in the Cherokee Nation. Indian Territory, and carried on farming for himself for a year. In 1883 he came to Oklahoma and engaged in agricultural pursuits near Oklahoma City. When Kiowa County was opened up for settlement Mr. Good drew a quarter of section of land, and having partly improved it sold it in 1905 to a good advantage. Coming immediately to Council Hill he with others erected the first elevator and grist mill built in this vicinity, and has since carried on a substantial business. His elevator has a holding capacity of ten thousand bushels, while his mill can grind out one hundred and fifty bushels of meal a day.
Mr. Good married, in 1883. Mary Vails, who was born in Arkansas, a daughter of W. B. and Sarah Vails, now residents of Luther. Oklahoma. In 1861 Mr. Vails enlisted in the Confederate army, and served in the Trans-Mississippi department until 1865. Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Vails, seven of whom are living, as follows: Susie, wife of Jesse Foster; W. S., of the state of Washington: Mary J., wife of Mr. Good; George W.; J. F.:' J. W.: and Dora M., wife of John Spell.

Mr. and Mrs. Good are the parents of nine children, namely: Myrtle; Ivry, wife of Charles Case, postmaster at Council Hill: William, who married Elsie Roseboon: Mary; Walter; Herbert; Carl; Earl; and Opal. Politically Mr. Good votes the Republican ticket at national elections, but in local issues is independent, voting with the courage of his convictions. Fraternally he is a member of Council Hill Lodge, A. F. & A. M. Religiously Mrs. Good is a worthy member of the Christian church.


DR. ELI HUGHES

One of the leading physicians of Stillwater, he was born in Hillsdale County, Michigan, October 28, 1853, and is a son of William and Sarah (Ransom) Hughes, natives of Kingston, Canada, and of Onondaga County. New York, respectively. The father of William Hughes moved to the state of New York when William was a small boy, and when he was a young man moved to what is now Hillsdale. Michigan. The country was then new and all kinds of game abounded, as well a= Indians. Railroad facilities were not then common in the middle west, and Mr. Hughes came mostly by water; when he arrived his total capital consisted of a very little money and no stock. He purchased a quarter-section of heavily timbered land, not worth at that time more than four or five dollars an acre, and made of this place a good farm, adding to it from time to time until he had one of the finest farms in that section of the state. He was one of the oldest settlers and suffered the hardships and privations of pioneer life. The mills were some distance away, and the trip a tedious one, so that Mr. Hughes at one time split four hundred and twenty-three rails for his neighbor, Mr. Morey, to induce him to take two bushels of corn to mill and bring it back ground. Mr. Morey accepted the commission, but fed his oxen out of the two bushels. Throughout the whole country Mr. Hughes was known as "Uncle Billy.-' and was always ready with a joke, being a welcome visitor in all the farm houses around. He lived on the farm on which he settled in 1842 until his death, December 29, 1908, in his eighty-seventh year. He was married in Michigan in 1847 or 1848; his wife's father, John Ransom, was an early settler in Algansee, Branch County, Michigan. Mr. and Mrs. Hughes reared only two sons, Lawrence, who resides on the old farm, and Dr. Eli Hughes.

Dr. Hughes received his elementary education in the district and nigh schools in his native county, and afterward attended Hillsdale College, from which he graduated on June 19, 1879. For one year previous to entering medical college he read medicine under Dr. R. A. Everett, and in 1879 he entered the Michigan University for a term of nine months. In the fall of 1880 he began attending the College of Physicians & Surgeons, of New York City, where he took a course. During vacation he practiced in the lumber woods of Michigan, in 1881 returned to Bellevue and attended that school until his graduation in March, 1882. He returned to the lumber district in Michigan, where he remained until his marriage in the same year, and then went to Reading. Hillsdale County, Michigan, and remained there twenty-seven months. He returned to Hillsdale and went into partnership with his father-in-law in the practice of his profession, and this firm continued until the death of Mr. Everett, which occurred on October 20, 1897. Dr. Hughes still continued to practice in Hillsdale until February, 1903, and then removed to Stillwater, where he has since been continuously in the practice of his profession. Upon his first settling in the city there were six or seven doctors there, all having fair success, but he has been able to build up a large and lucrative practice, which is in itself a proof of his ability and popularity. In 1887 Dr. Hughes returned to New York and took a special course covering the diseases of eye, ear, and throat, under the celebrated Dr. William T. Mittendorf.

Besides his general practice, Dr. Hughes makes a specialty of eye, ear and throat diseases. In 1892 he was appointed special examiner for the government in these branches, holding this position in Michigan and also since transferring his activities to Oklahoma. Before leaving Michigan he tendered his resignation, but which was not accepted by the government.

Dr. Hughes married Josephine E., daughter of Dr. R. A. and Jennett (Lancaster) Everett, of Michigan. Dr. Everett was first assistant surgeon and later regimental surgeon during the war, and was the surgeon who amputated the feet of Corporal Tanner (who afterward became Commissioner of Pensions) after he had been shot in the feet while in battle. Dr. Everett was well known throughout the state of Michigan, and when he received his appointment as assistant surgeon it was to serve under the celebrated Dr. Gun, surgeon-in-chief of the division. He and his wife were the parents of only one child, Mrs. Hughes. Mrs. Everett still resides in Michigan. Dr. and Mrs. Hughes are the parents of two daughters, Josephine E. and Pauline Jennett. Mrs. Hughes and her daughters are members of the Presbyterian church. Dr. Hughes is a member of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and is a Royal Arch Mason, a member of the council at Hillsdale, Michigan, and of the Knights Templar of Stillwater. Politically he is a strong Republican, though he has never sought public office for himself.


HARVEY A. FARTHING

As the agent at Vinita of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company, Harvey A. Farthing holds a position of importance and responsibility, and by the prompt and faithful performance of the duties devolving upon him in his capacity has won the approval of the officials and the good will of its numerous patrons. A son of Abner T. Farthing, he was born, January 10, 1877, in Edgewood, Illinois.

One of a family of three children, Abner T. Farthing was born in 1848, in Kentucky, and at an early age was left an orphan. Migrating as a young man to Illinois, he began his business career as a shoe merchant at Edgewood, and continued thus employed in that state until his death in 1902, while yet in the prime of life. He married Alice J. Cook, who was born in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and is now living with her son in Vinita, Oklahoma. To her and her husband three children were born, as follows: Harvey A., the special subject of this sketch; Stella, wife of Fay Garrin, of Terre Haute, Indiana; and Robert 0., who is employed at Wagoner, Oklahoma, by the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company.

Receiving his early education in the public schools of Farina, Illinois. Harvey A. Farthing there began railroading with the Illinois Central Railroad Company, with which he was connected a number of years, filling the position of operator at Centralia, Dongola, Kankakee and Carbondale. Going from this road to the Great Northern Railway, he was for a time block dispatcher at Culbertson, Montana. Returning then to Illinois, Mr. Farthing became clerk and operator for the Illinois Central Railroad Company at Kinmundy, from there going to Madison, Illinois, where he was for awhile ticket agent and operator for the Michigan Central and Illinois Central Railroads. He subsequently went to Frankfort, Indiana, to take the chief clerkship of the Chicago, Indianapolis and Louisville Railway Company.

On leaving Frankfort Mr. Farthing entered the service of the company with which he is now identified, first becoming operator at Fayette, Missouri, and then at Boonville. Missouri. Being then transferred by the company to Moran. Kansas, he remained there as agent for eighteen months. Having, in the meantime, fully established his reputation as an able and trustworthy employee, the company rewarded his fidelity by giving him charge of the Vinita station, one of the more important ones on the main line of its system.

Mr. Farthing married, April 10, 1900, at Kinmundy, Illinois, Lulu Cockrell, who was born in that city, a daughter of James Cockrell, her birth having occurred September 29. 1879. She passed away in Vinita July 17, 1908, leaving one child, Alice Vinita, born June 23, 1901.


DANIEL F. JANEWAY, M. D.

In the work of his exacting and responsible profession Dr. Janeway has attained to marked precedence, and he is not only one of the leading physicians and surgeons of Payne County but in point of continuous practice is the third oldest physician in the attractive little city of Stillwater, where his clientage is extensive and of essentially representative order, which fact offers effectual voucher as to his ability in his chosen vocation and also to his personal popularity in the community.

Dr. Janeway was born in Jefferson County, Tennessee, on the 6th of January, 1854, and is a son of Charles and Susanna (Hammer) Janeway. In 1858 his parents moved from Tennessee to Jasper County, Iowa, settling near the village of Newton and becoming pioneers of that section of the Hawkeye state. There Charles Janeway purchased a tract of land, which he developed into one of the valuable farms of the locality, and he continued to reside on this homestead until his death, which occurred in 1806. His wife was summoned to the life eternal in 1887. after they had walked down the pathway of life side by side for a period of fifty-four years. Their golden wedding was celebrated with due social observance, and on the occasion there were present seven of their twelve children who had attained to years of maturity. This worthy couple lived lives of usefulness and honor and their memories are revered by all who came within the sphere of their gracious and kindly influence. Of the twelve children who reached maturity the following brief record is consistently entered for perpetuation: Enoch is a successful fanner of Payne County. Oklahoma: Benjamin died in the state of Oregon, where his widow and children still reside; Elisha is a resident of Washington County, Kansas; Seth maintains his home near Los Angeles, California; Nancy became the wife of Louis Peacock and both are now deceased; Margaret is the wife of Uriah Henshaw, of Jasper County, Iowa; Rachel died unmarried; Sarah is the deceased wife of S. B. Woodward, of Ramona, California; Daniel F., subject of this sketch, was the next in order of birth; Susan is the wife of S. J. Martin, who is a missionary of the Society of Friends or Quakers and who is now engaged in mission work in Cuba; James is a resident of Wagoner County, Oklahoma; and Martha is the wife of Stephen A. Morris, of Kellogg, Iowa.

Dr. Daniel F. Janeway was about four years of age at the time of the family removal from Tennessee to Jasper County, Iowa, where he passed his boyhood and youth on the home farm, to whose work he early began to contribute his quota. After having received the advantages of the public schools, including the county high school of Newton. Iowa, he entered Penn College. at Oskaloosa, that state, in which institution he completed the prescribed course and was graduated as a member of the class of 1879, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. In initiating his independent career Dr. Janeway adopted the pedagogic profession, in which he met with distinctive success, though he early matured his plans for fitting himself for the medical profession, in which his prestige has amply justified his choice of a permanent vocation. After leaving Penn College the Doctor was for two years principal of the public schools at Kellogg. Towa. and in 1881 he removed to Cottonwood Falls. Chase County, Kansas where he held the principalship of the local high school for one year. In the meanwhile he had taken up the study of medicine, under effective preceptorship, and in the autumn of 1882 he was matriculated in the Kansas City Medical College, in which he was graduated on the 4th of March, 1884. and from which he received his well earned degree of Doctor of Medicine. He located in Argonia, Kansas, soon after his graduation and was there engaged in the successful work of his profession until April, 1899, when he removed to Stillwater, Oklahoma, where he has since continued in practice with success and where he maintains a most secure hold upon popular confidence and esteem, both as a physician and as a loyal and public-spirited citizen. In 1899, just prior to his removal to Stillwater, he had completed an effective post-graduate course in the Chicago Polyclinic, and he keeps in close touch with the advances made in both branches of his profession, having a comprehensive library of standard literature pertaining thereto and also having recourse to the best periodicals touching the medical and surgical sciences. While in Chicago he also attended lecturing the celebrated Rush Medical College. The Doctor is a member of the American Medical Association, of the Oklahoma State Medical Society and of the Payne County Medical Society. He was superintendent and secretary of the board of health of Payne County for several years, and he has been a member of the board of education since 1903. He is a Republican in his political proclivities, and while never ambitious for office he takes a loyal interest in the success of the party cause, as does he also in all that tends to conserve the progress and material and civic prosperity of his home city and county. He is affiliated with Stillwater Lodge, No. 6, Free & Accepted Masons, and has attained the Knights Templar degree in Masonry. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.

On the 2Sth of July, 1881, was solemnized the marriage of Dr. Janeway to Miss Ada V. Moore, daughter of Morris and Rebecca Beals) Moore, of Cottonwood Falls. Kansas. Her father was born in Indiana and her mother in Tennessee. Of their six children Mrs. Janeway is the eldest; Theodore resides in Beaver County. Oklahoma; Marcellus is a resident of California; Rosa is deceased; Belle is a teacher in the public schools of Chicago; and Laura is the wife of W. S. Woods, of Lawrence. Kansas.

Dr. and Mrs. Janeway have five children, concerning whom brief data are entered in conclusion of this sketch: George M., who is a graduate of Oklahoma Agricultural & Mechanical College, is now cashier of the Bank of Skiatook, Oklahoma; Lucile is the wife of John Youst, Jr., a representative merchant of Stillwater; Lenora is teacher of domestic science in the high school at Chickasha, Oklahoma; and Helen and Harold remain at the parental home and are attending the public schools.


FRANK C. ADAIR

Sheriff of Adair County. He was born and reared in the county where the most of his life has been spent. He was born in Going Snake District of the Cherokee Nation February 22, 1874, the year after the removal of his parents from their old Georgia home. His father, Virgil B. Adair, is a farmer near Westville, who was born in Georgia in 1842. He is a man of fair education and moderate business success. He is a son of John T. Adair, one-eighth Cherokee, who spent his last years in the community near Westville, where he died in 1884, about seventy years of age. His wife was Ann Graham, a white woman, and their family were: Mrs. Rufus Allison, of Pryor Creek; Virgil B.; Mrs. Maggie Hagen, of Pryor Creek; Edward, who died in 1898; Sena, wife of Napoleon Littlejohn, of Stilwell, Oklahoma; and W. P., of Adair Station, Oklahoma.

Virgil B. Adair served in a Georgia Regiment in the Civil war, and was in the Army of Northern Virginia when the climax of the war was reached, taking part in the surrender at Appomattox. He carried away as a memento of the occasion a piece of an apple tree near the McLain house where the terms of capitulation were agreed upon and signed. After the war he married Telitha J. Bates, of an old Georgia family, who died December 9, 1907. Their children were: Eunora A., wife of Frank Akins, of Adair County; Jesse E., of the same county; Robert L., of Mayes County, Oklahoma; John T., of Craig County; Frank C.; Ezekiel E., of Adair County; and Julius K., whose home is in his native county.

Frank C. Adair received his education chiefly in the public schools of the Cherokee Nation, and when of age became a farmer and stock man for some time. He entered Cherokee politics at twenty-two years of age, at which time he was elected a member of the National Council. He was several times re-elected, serving nine years in that body, during which time his home was at Tahlequah. He participated in the work of winding up tribal affairs, and will remain of interest historically as one of the last Cherokee legislators.

He had a natural aptitude and love for political life, and when the statehood was approaching he entered the arena of federal affairs as nominee of sheriff for Adair County. He won the Democratic nomination against three competitors, and was elected over his Republican opponent by two hundred and sixty-one votes out of a total of about eighteen hundred, thus showing his popularity as a candidate. He assumed the office with the advent of statehood, and succeeded to heavy work from the United States marshal of the district, which business largely occupied the first terms of the district court.

Mr. Adair has a farm and is extensively interested in stock. His allotment is some eight miles southeast of Westville on the old Alberty place.

In August, 1898, Mr. Adair married Sabina, daughter of Ezekiel Buffington, in Tahlequah, a member of the Cherokee nation, and one of a prominent family. She was born in old Flint District in September, 1875; her children are: Ezekiel S., Telitha, Edgar and Dora. Mr. Adair is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In build he is athletic, rather below medium height, weighing nearly two hundred pounds.


JAMES W. STEEN

THE owner of the "Checotah Inquirer" and a prominent real estate dealer, he was born in Grayson County, Texas, in 1870. He is a son of Christopher C. and Mary (Throckmorton) Steen, the former reared in Missouri. Christopher Steen served in the Confederate army, in the brigade of General Joseph Shelby; at the close of the war he located in Texas and there married. His wife, whose father died in Arkansas, was reared by an uncle, James W. Throckmorton, at one time governor of Texas. At the beginning of the war Governor Throckmorton was unseated by the war governor, and Governor E. J. Davis appointed by the Federal government. After the war Mr. Throckmorton served several times as a member of Congress from Texas. Christopher Steen was a farmer and stock raiser, and came to Indian Territory in 1886; he settled near Checotah and lived there on a farm until his death, in 1904; his wife died in 1902. Besides James W. they had a daughter, Annie, wife of R. E. Vandiver, of Checotah.

James W. Steen attended the public schools, and spent two terms at Bacone University of Muskogee. After attaining his majority he spent some time teaching school and then became a farmer. In 1901 he located in Checotah, where he entered the employ of the Spaulding-Hutchinson Company; later he engaged in the real estate business, which he has successfully followed since. In 1907 Mr. Steen purchased the "Checotah Inquirer" in company with Charles Buford, and has since bought his partner's interest.

Politically Mr. Steen is accounted one of the most loyal members of the Democratic party in the community; he served in 1907, as mayor of Checotah. Mr. Steen's paper is the official organ of the county and city legal work. Mr. Steen is a well-known citizen, and a man of substantial standing and influence in the county. He is an able business man and highly respected; socially he is a member of Checotah Lodge, No. 20, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.


WADDIE HUDSON

He has been a progressive resident of Tahlequah for more than twenty-one years, has been its most prominent newspaper representative and a leader, as well, in its business, financial, educational and civic activities, throughout its history of this period as capital of the Cherokee nation and prosperous seat of government for the Oklahoma County of Oklahoma. He is a native of Lamar, Benton County, Mississippi, where he was born December 12, 1865, a son of Thomas J. Hudson, one of the prominent Democrats, journalists and citizens of that state. His father was a man of fair education, a native of eastern Tennessee, born in 1818, who migrated to Benton County when a young man and devoted his earlier years in Mississippi to farming. The elder Mr. Hudson afterward engaged in the mercantile business, and after merchandising thirty years, finally became well known throughout the state as an effective promoter of its agricultural interests. A man of great activity and executive ability, he was a thorough believer in organization as a means of promoting the most practical and lasting results, and enjoys the honor of founding the National Farmers' Congress, of which he was the first president. It was he, more than any other man, who succeeded in bringing representatives of the great industry together, in 1882, and forming what is now the largest and most powerful organization of its kind in America. But he was especially interested in the cotton planters of the south: and before the war between the states served as president of the Southern Cotton Planters Association for some time, and, in the able discharge of his duties, became so influential ill the politics of Mississippi that he was Urged to become the Democrat nominee for governor. In the nominating caucus he lacked only one vote of being named as the standard bearer of his party. In 1886 Mr. Hudson, the elder, established a newspaper at Lamar, called the "Industrial Tattler," its aim being the promotion of the National Farmers' Congress, and designated at that time as its official organ, and of this journal he remained editor until his death in 1883. Thomas J. Hudson was married, in Mississippi, to Miss Eliza A. Reinhardt, who died in February, 1867, mother of the following children: Thomas J., Jr., of England, Arkansas; Mrs. James A. Garlington, also a resident of that place; Waddie, of this sketch; and Mollie, who married Dr. T. G. Brewer and died at Pecan Point, Arkansas. Waddie Hudson attended the public schools of Lamar until he was fifteen years of age, when he became editor of the "Dixie Boy," a general newspaper which was eventually absorbed by the "Industrial Tattler,'' already mentioned. At the death of his father, he became connected with the latter, but feeling the responsibility too great for his youth (he was only sixteen) and inexperienced, he relinquished it to other hands. In 1886 he started for the country west of the Mississippi, stopping for a time at Fort Smith. Arkansas, where he became foreman of the "Daily Tribune," then one of the leading papers of the state and edited by Colonel D. M. Wisdom, afterward connected with government affairs at Muskogee. Oklahoma.

On leaving the "Tribune" Mr. Hudson located at Tahlequah, his resources at that time being one suit of clothes, ten dollars in money and a "brave front." At once pushing for the nearest newspaper office, he secured a position on the "Cherokee Telephone," which he resigned in a few months to accept the management of the "Indian Arrow," the organ of the national party of the Cherokee Nation. Ultimately he became editor and owner of the paper, whoso name he changed to the "Tahlequah Arrow." Mr. Hudson continued as owner until 1907 when the plant was sold to a company of prominent citizens and the business incorporated as the Arrow Printing Company. Later he disposed of a majority of his stock in the concern and retired from the newspaper business.

Since his first advent to the city, Mr. Hudson has taken an active part in its public affairs and leading enterprises, all of which bear the distinctive marks of his influence and personality. In connection with his newspaper career it should be added that in 1895 he was elected editor and manager of the "Cherokee Advocate" by the Cherokee National Council-that paper being the official organ of the nation-and that he held the position for two years. He was also president of the Commercial Club at the time of the preliminaries which led to the establishment of the Carnegie Library; was a member of the construction committee and has been the active secretary of the institution since its establishment. In 1905 he organized the volunteer fire department of Tahlequah. called the Waddie Hudson Fire Company, and has since acted as its chief; was at one time president of the Cherokee National Bank (now the Oklahoma State Bank) and is a director of the First State Bank of Tahlequah. Besides his long experience in the newspaper business Mr. Hudson has been the leading book seller and stationer of Tahlequah since 1895, and his substantial influence in the community has been further enhanced by his prominent connection with the fraternities. In the order of Knights of Pythias, he is past chancellor and captain of the Uniformed Rank, and has served several times as delegate to the grand lodge: is also a member and past prophet of the Improved Order of Red Men, and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

In 1889 Mr. Hudson was united in marriage with Miss Norma E. Rasmus, who died in 1904, leaving a daughter Mabel. now thirteen years of age (1910). Her father, William E. Rasmus, was a German who married Miss Josie C. Dannenberg, a Cherokee lady. In 1906 Mr. Hudson married as his second wife, Miss Effie Meador, of Monett, Missouri.


JOHN EMERY SATER

Active and influential in promoting the rapid advancement of the growth and prosperity of Stillwater. John Emery Sater is numbered among the most highly esteemed citizens of this part of Payne County, and was honored with an election as delegate to the Constitutional Convention, where, although representing a minority party, he rendered unselfish and nonpartisan service. A native of Ohio, he was born, March 30. 1852, in Hamilton County, near New Haven, which was likewise the place of birth of his father, Oliver Sater.

His grandfather, William Sater, who settled in Ohio in the early part of the nineteenth century, was descended from a Sater that emigrated from England to America with Lord Baltimore, and settled in Maryland. His descendants, which are numerous, scattered to the west and south, going to Pennsylvania, the Carolinas and Ohio, some of them serving in the Colonial army during the Revolutionary war. William Sater married and reared six children, as follows: Joseph, Thomas, Oliver, John, Mrs. Sarah Gwaltney and Mrs. Eliza Hill.

A life-long resident of Hamilton County, Ohio, Oliver Sater was born in 1829, and died in 1860. As a tiller of the soil he labored with diligence and success. He was much respected as a man and a citizen, and was active in Democratic ranks. He married Hannah Foster, who came from substantial New England stock, her father, George Foster, having been born and brought up in Vermont. She is now living in Stillwater, which is the home, also, of her two sons, John E. Sater and George Sater.

Brought up on the Ohio farm, John E. Sater while vet a schoolboy became familiar with many of the branches of agriculture. After completing the course of study in the district schools he completed his early education at Otterbein University in Westerville. Ohio. He subsequently taught school a short time, and then went to Indianapolis. Indiana, where for a year he was employed in the manufacture of furniture. Drifting then to Kansas. Mr. Sater embarked in farming and stock-raising in the Arkansas valley, but was afterwards county surveyor of Lane County, Kansas. Leaving there before the real opening of Oklahoma, he arrived in the new country two weeks after the first "horse race" for land on record. He helped complete the survey of Guthrie, and then came to Stillwater, where he was soon appointed city clerk and clerk of the townsite board, in which capacity he participated in tin deeding of lots to the citizens. Mr. Sater subsequently became the first county surveyor of Payne County, and in addition to being commissioned the first notary public was made an assistant in the office of the county treasurer. Taking up the business of abstracting as soon as conditions made it one of profit. he carried along complete transcripts, in skeleton, of the records of Payne County. He also entered the newspaper field, for a time publishing the "Stillwater Gazette."

Mr. Sater's bearing and character as a citizen had much to do with his success at the polls when he was a candidate for delegate to the Constitutional Convention. He entered the race as a Republican, being one of the "twelve apostles," as the minority of the convention was called. He espoused the cause of Prohibition, and was the only member of the body elected on that issue. He advocated the extension of the organic act of prohibition over the state, favored by the Initiative, Referendum and Recall, and the choosing of United States senators by direct vote.

As a townsman of Stillwater Mr. Sater aided in securing the State Agricultural College, and lent a strong hand in securing railroad communication. He is a Methodist in religion, and was one of the promoters of the Congregational church, the first religious society formed in Payne County.

On May 30, 1878, near Hamilton, Ohio, Mr. Sater was united in marriage with Laura A. Jones, who was born in Ohio in 1853, a daughter of Thomas F. Jones, a Welshman. Mr. and Mrs. Sater have three children, namely: Datus E., William Earl and Joseph Emery. Datus E. Sater, an abstracter with his father, married Mabel Hayes, a daughter of Perry W. Hayes, of Stillwater, Oklahoma.


JAMES E. BERRY

AS clerk of the District Court of Payne County, James E. Berry, of Stillwater, is filling the duties of his position with commendable fidelity and ability. A son of William E. Berry, one of the early and more prominent settlers of this part of Oklahoma, he was born, October 2, 1881, near Oak Grove, Jackson County, Missouri.

His grandfather, Thomas Berry, was born and reared in Kentucky, where his parents settled on leaving Virginia, their native state. He was a life-long agriculturist, owning quite a tract of Kentucky land. He married Juliet King, who was born in Kentucky, of Virginian ancestry, and they became the parents of nine children, as follows: William E.; Nancy J., wife of L. Lofton; I. K.; George M.; Thomas E.. deceased: Eliza, who married Alexander Early, died in early life, and her family is now living in Texas; Andrew; Susan, wife of James Arthur, of Guthrie, Oklahoma; and Robert C.

Born in 1844, in Whitley County, Kentucky, William E. Berry was educated in the pioneer log schoolhouse of his native county. In 1861, at the age of seventeen years, he offered his services to his country, enlisting in Company F, Sixteenth Kentucky Volunteer Infantry. In 1863 his regiment was placed in the First Brigade. First Division, of the Twenty-third Army Corps, commanded by General Schofield. with whom he remained until the close of the war. He took an active part in several battles of importance as well as in numerous minor engagements, among those of greater note having been those at Resaca, Georgia; Atlanta, Georgia; and at Franklin, Tennessee, where his company went on the Held with sixty-two men and left with but thirteen. Shortly before this battle Mr. Berry was accidentally wounded by the explosion of a shell. He enlisted as a private, but was soon made a sergeant, and subsequently retained that rank.

Returning to his Kentucky home at the close of the conflict, William E. Berry assisted in repairing the ravages made on the home farm by the war, remaining with his parents a number of years. Leaving his native state in 1870, he purchased land in Jackson County, Missouri, and was there engaged in stock raising until 1881. Selling out in that year, he moved to Sumner County, Kansas, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits for some time, at the same time, in partnership with his brothers, being engaged in the stock business in what is now Payne County, Oklahoma, his family remaining, however, on the Kansas farm for nine years. Bringing his wife and children to this county in 1890, he located on the claim of one hundred and sixty acres which he had previously secured, and while continuing his stock business was also engaged in general farming. When the opening occurred he secured a claim or claims to town lots in Stillwater, and was one of the first to build a residence in the town.

In 1892 William E. Berry was a charter member of the first banking institution organized in Stillwater, under the name of the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank, and which has since been merged into the Stillwater National Bank of Stillwater, of which he is now the president. This bank has a paid-up capital of twenty-five thousand dollars, and a surplus of ten thousand dollars. Mr. Berry is also largely interested in other financial institutions, being president of the Cushing State Bank, and vice president of the Agra Bank, of Lincoln County. He is an extensive landholder, having several farms under cultivation, on which are grown the products common to this region. He also owns real estate of value in Stillwater, his personal holdings in Oklahoma being large and valuable. All of this property he has accumulated through his own efforts, and is therefore well worthy of being called a self-made man. In his undertakings he has ever had the assistance of his good wife, who is a woman of worth and good judgment, and has signally aided him in his operations by her wise advice and counsel.

William E. Berry married, in 1870, Martha M. Brown, a daughter of H. P. and Polly (Perkins) Brown, and to them five children have been born, namely: Sarah J., wife of E. C. Mullendore, of Cleveland, Oklahoma; Thomas N., of Payne County; Dora, wife of Ole Goodson, living near Blackwell, Kay County; Bessie, deceased; and James E., the subject of this biographical review.

Growing to manhood on a farm near Wellington, Kansas. James E. Berry came with his parents to Oklahoma in 1890, a boy of nine years. After leaving the public schools, he attended the agricultural college at Stillwater and in 1902 was graduated from the Gem City Business College in Quincy, Illinois, while he subsequently spent a year as an employee of the National Bank of Commerce of Kansas City. Returning then to Oklahoma, he became assistant cashier of the First National Bank of Ralston, after which he was cashier of the Citizens Bank at Pryor Creek, Oklahoma. He remained in the last named position but a short time, being called back to Ralston to assume the position of cashier of its First National Bank. Coming from there to Stillwater, Mr. Berry was employed for nearly a year in the Stillwater National Bank, and was then nominated by the Democrats as their candidate for clerk of the District Court, and. having been elected, assumed the duties of the office the day of statehood.

In Stillwater, October 21, 1908, Mr. Berry married Edwina Morrison, who was born in Taylorville, Illinois, in 1888, and was graduated from the Oklahoma Agricultural College with the class of 1907. Her parents, Edgar Gilman and Virginia Long Morrison, moved from Taylorville, Illinois, to Oklahoma in 1898, and at the time of his death. January 10, 1902, he was one of the leading business men of Stillwater. Mr. and Mrs. James E. Berry are the parents of one child, William Morrison Berry, born August 4, 1909. Mr. Berry was reared in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which his parents are prominent members, and, like his father, is a Democrat in politics.


J. H. EIFFERT

Distinguished not only as one of the oldest and most venerable residents of Muskogee County, but as one of its earliest settlers, the venerable J. H. Eiffert, of Webbers Falls, is an honored representative of the early pioneers of this section of the Union, and a true type of those brave and hardy men who dared the dangers of frontier life at a time when the risk was great. He was born, in 1814, in South Carolina, where his earlier years were spent. During the Civil war he served four years in the Confederate army, being under the command of Generals Bragg and Johnston, and taking part in many engagements, including those at Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge. He was much of the time an officer in the commissary department, at the close of the war having full charge of that department at Macon, Georgia.

Coming to the Indian Territory in 1868, Mr. Eiffert settled in the Cherokee nation, in that part now included within the boundaries of Webbers Falls, and soon after erected the house in which he now resides. The country roundabout was then in its primitive wilderness, the cane-covered bottom lands giving but scant promise of being developed into the beautiful agricultural, regions now everywhere in evidence throughout this section of Oklahoma. The white people were few and very far between. The Starr family, which was one of almost international fame, lived in the territory, and at Webbers Falls the only house in the place was occupied by a Mr. McDaniel. Many of the men in this part of the country were desperate characters, boot-leggers, escaped convicts from the States, unruly negroes and a few Indians. The nearest post office was at Fort Gibson. The mails were not then very heavily loaded, the real citizens of the county, mostly Cherokee half-bloods, having but few correspondents.

Mr. Eiffert married, in Tennessee, Margaret A. W. (Morgan) Hanks, a daughter of Colonel Gideon Morgan, who married Margaret Sevier, a grand-daughter of Governor Sevier, the first governor of Tennessee. Mrs. Eiffert was a widow when he married her, her first husband having been R. T. Hanks, who died in Tennessee. Mr. and Mrs. Eiffert became the parents of two children, namely: Henry and Maud. By her first marriage Mrs. Eiffert had five children, namely; Bettie M., wife of Dr. H. Lindsey, of Texanna, Oklahoma; Calvin J., deceased; Margaret P., widow of Captain W. W. McClelland, who enlisted in the Twenty-ninth Tennessee Volunteer Infantry during the Civil war, and died in the service; Robert T., of Muskogee County; and Gideon M., who was accidentally killed by his horse during the Civil war. Margaret P. Hanks. Mrs. Eiffert's second daughter, and Captain McClelland, were married the day after the battle of Manassas. Subsequently going to the front to nurse her husband when he was ill, both Captain and Mrs. McClelland were taken prisoners by the Union troops, and were confined in the prison at Lebanon, Tennessee, for three months.


CHARLES F. ROGERS

The present mayor of Stillwater, was born in Dubuque, Iowa, in 1860, a son of Jacob and Almira (Santee) Rogers, both natives of Pennsylvania. They came to Iowa from Wisconsin, about 1860, and in 1868 removed to Missouri, where Mr. Rogers died one year later. He was one of the survivors of the war with Mexico. In the autumn of 1872 Mrs. Rogers moved with her family to Cowley County, Kansas, and purchased the farm on which she reared her family of six children, namely: W. S., of Wichita, Kansas; A. E., of Guthrie. Oklahoma; F. M., of Udall, Kansas; Charles F., of Stillwater, Oklahoma; and Alma L., wife of J. M. Northrop. The oldest child, Madeline, became the wife of J. R. Southard, of Bangor, Michigan, and both arc deceased. They had two children: Sletta, wife of C. A. McAmpbell, of Kansas City, and Mabel M.

Charles F. Rogers received his education in the public schools of Kansas, for a time attending the high school at Wichita. At the age of twenty-two years he engaged in teaching, which he followed most of the time for fifteen years. During the last ten years Mr. Rogers has been chiefly engaged in real estate dealings and in negotiating loans. He came to Oklahoma on April 22, 1889, and took part in the memorable race for land; Mr. Rogers made a ride of ten miles, but returned to a spot within one mile of the place where he started, and located his claim on Section 5 of Payne County, the same consisting of one hundred and sixty acres of prairie land. He made many improvements and lived on the place nine years, then sold it and removed to Stillwater, where he now resides. In 1904 he located at Coweta and organized the Union Trust Company, three months later moved to Choteau and established the first bank in the place, known as the Choteau Trust and Banking Company, and also dealt in real estate. Mr. Rogers spent one year as cashier of the bank, and then sold his interest and returned to Stillwater, where his real estate business is in a nourishing condition. Mr. Rogers was elected mayor of Stillwater on the Socialist ticket in May, 1909, by a good majority.

Mr. Rogers has the interest and progress of the city strongly at heart, and is one of the leading temperance advocates of the city and state. He has the distinction of being the only Socialist mayor now holding office in the state, and probably the only one in the United Stales. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accented Masons in Stillwater. Frontier Lodge Number 0. He is a member of the Christian church and takes great interest in the work of the Sunday school, being a teacher of the Bible class, which comprises over one hundred members.

On February 23, 1890, Mr. Rogers married Nina O., daughter of G. N. and Matilda (Lynn) Stivers, of Winfield, Kansas, natives of Kentucky. They were parents of four living children: Nina 0., Mrs. Rogers: Stella, wife of Bert Luby, of Mattoon, Illinois: Blanch, wife of Ed Goudy, of Mattoon: and Arthur, of Denver, Colorado. Mr. Stivers lives in Decatur, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Rogers have the following children: Almira B., Vincent A., Eulula M., C. Otis, Bessie 0., William S. and Nina S. Almira is a student in the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Stillwater.



Back to Page 22

Page 24

Back to Biographies






Back to the Main Index Page for Oklahoma
©Genealogy Trails