The History of Oklahoma Biographies Vol. II A. LEE BATTENFIELD Among the native born citizens of Oklahoma, many of whom have made the most of their opportunities for acquiring
land, is Daniel Newnon McIntosh, who has for several years past devoted his time and attention to the cultivation
of the two crops bringing the best results in this section, corn and cotton. Mr. McIntosh is one of the oldest
residents of McIntosh County, and was born in what is now Muskogee County, October 15, 1862, a son of Colonel D.
N. and Jane (Ward) McIntosh. Colonel McIntosh is mentioned at greater length in the sketch of Cheesie McIntosh,
found on preceding pages of this work.
by Luther B. Hill
Of Pryor Creek, was born on May 29, 1878, in Russellville, Arkansas, and he is a son of David M. and Sarah E. (Lee) Battenfield. The four sons of their family are all living in Oklahoma and their daughters are residents of Arkansas. David M. Battenfield, born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1837, moved to Arkansas when a young man, and he died there on the 6th of June, 1888. His father had come to the United States from Ireland. Sarah E. Lee was born in 1850 in Westmoreland, Virginia.
A. Lee Battenfield graduated from the Russellville University in Arkansas, and later he practiced law in that state for some time before coming to Oklahoma. Here he made a strong stand in the fight for statehood, and he was associated in practice for some time with Judge L. W. and Jeff Davis, the former now a United States senator. In politics Mr. Battenfield affiliates with the Democratic party, and in 1907 he was elected the attorney for Mayes County by a majority of four hundred votes over the Republican candidate. He has been very successful in his chosen profession, and he has gained prestige and influence in the community.
J. T. PERKINS
A prosperous real estate dealer in Pryor Creek, was born in Franklin County, Missouri, January 20, 1854, a son of W. B. and Phoebe (Haigles) Perkins and their only living child. W. B. Perkins, born August 25, 1826, in Louisa County, Virginia, moved to Missouri when about eight years of age, and is now living at Fayette, that state. He was formerly engaged in agricultural pursuits. Phoebe Haigles, born March 29, 1816, died on the 3rd of March, 1894. They were married on the 1st of January, 1851, and of their three children the two daughters died in infancy.
J. T. Perkins attended the public schools and later the Central College at Fayette in Howard County, Missouri, and after leaving the school room he engaged in farming and stock raising. His life previous to the year of 1909 was spent in his native state of Missouri, and coming then to Pryor Creek in Oklahoma he embarked in the real estate business, investing in both city property and farm lands, and he has been very successful in all his undertakings and is one of Pryor Creek's enterprising and public spirited citizens.
On the 6th of November, 1879, Mr. Perkins was married to Nettie Bowman, from Henry County, Missouri, and she died in 1897, after becoming the mother of four children: Susie, born February 5, 1884, and living at Fayette, Missouri; Benjamin, born in 1887, married Anna Overall and is living at Broken Arrow, Oklahoma; Phoebe, born in 1892, is living with her parents in Fayette; and Alla, who died in 1885, at the age of three years. On the 3d of January, 1899, Mr. Perkins married Ida Gray, from St. Louis, Missouri, and their four children are: Joseph, born February 16, 1900; Paul, born October 7, 1902; Marguerite, born November 1, 1905; and Emory, born May 3, 1907. Mr. and Mrs. Perkins are now living at Fayette, Missouri, to afford their children better educational advantages.
The oldest attorney of Checotah and among the ablest lawyers in that part of Oklahoma, is a grandson of William McIntosh, the last chief of the Creek Indians by that name, or rather of a faction of his tribe called the Lower Creeks, and who was assassinated because he signed the treaty of 1824 by which the Creeks were removed to Indian Territory. The great-grandfather, James McIntosh, was a native of Scotland, who came to America as a captain in the English army during the Revolutionary war, and after the fight was over located in Georgia, where he married a Creek and became the father of William, the grandfather mentioned. From early boyhood the latter showed the shrewd traits of his Scotch ancestry, as well as the bold independence which appeal so strongly to the Indian character. In his young manhood he was chosen chief of the confederated tribes of southern Georgia, known as the Lower Creeks, and in their behalf he signed the treaty of 1824. The Upper Creeks, who were bitterly opposed to a session of their lands in Georgia and a removal west of the Mississippi, were so incensed at this action that they sanctioned, if they did not inspire his assassination shortly before the treaty was ratified by the government. It was a number of years thereafter before the exodus actually commenced, and among the first to occupy lands in the tract allotted to the Creek nation was Daniel N. McIntosh, then but a boy and a son of the assassinated chief. He was the only son in the' family and, with his mother, occupied allotments seven miles northeast of where Muskogee afterward sprung up and which also became the birthplace of Cheesie McIntosh. The youth who thus came into the new Creek country inherited the best traits of his deceased father and improved them by education and contact with the progressive conditions of his times. In generous measure, also, his people passed over to him the affection and confidence which so many of them had reposed in his father, and for half a century he was their foremost representative both in their internal affairs and in their dealings with the general government. In 1856 he served as the clerk of the Creek nation and as a delegate to Washington, and was prominent in the negotiations which resulted in the peaceable detachment of a portion of its western lands for the use of the Seminole Indians. In this dual capacity Mr. McIntosh was considered the chief representative of the Creek Indians at Washington. At the outbreak of the Civil war it was natural that he should support the Confederacy. In July, 1861, he raised Company A of the First Creek Regiment; was elected captain of it, and in September of the same year, upon perfecting the regimental organization, was chosen colonel of the entire command. His services were performed in the Trans-Mississippi department. Although present at the battle of Pea Ridge, his command was not called into action, but he did participate in the battle of Cabin Creek, fought in the Cherokee nation under General Gano, and in the engagement at Elk Creek, in the Creek nation, under the general command of General D. H. Cooper. Before the conclusion of the war Colonel McIntosh was placed in command of a brigade, consisting of the First and Second Creek regiments and the Seminole contingent. At the conclusion of the war he returned to his home near Muskogee, and there engaged in farming and stock raising until his death. As he was among the military leaders of the Five Tribes in rebellion against the general movement, so he was among the most prominent in affecting a reconciliation by which the Creeks retained their lands under a new treaty. He not only represented his people at Washington for many years thereafter, but served as one of the supreme judges of his own nation. He was also one of the members of the Creek national commission to meet the Dawes commission of the United States government and provide the practical machinery for the allotment of lands and the abolishment of the tribal form of government. So that in the lives of the grandfather and father of Cheesie McIntosh is embraced the entire latter-day chapter of the Creek Indians, from the time they became a permanent confederacy, or nation, within defined territorial limits, and governed themselves, under the protectorate of the general government, until they abandoned tribal relations altogether and were incorporated into the citizenship of the American republic.
Daniel Newmon McIntosh, father of Cheesie, was married in 1846 to Miss Jane Ward, daughter of Bryant Ward, a Cherokee, and to this union were born six children, who reached maturity, as follows: Cheesie; Lucy A., who died as the wife of Charles Bard; F. B., of McIntosh County; Rolla, a resident of Checotah; Daniel N., who also lives in the county; and Susanna, who married Thomas Harvison and is now deceased. Mrs. McIntosh, mother of this family, died in 1869. In 1872 the husband married Miss Bell Gauler, of Washington, D. C., and the offspring of this union are as follows: Etta G, wife of Edward Smith, of McIntosh County; Zenophon, who resides in Durant, this state; Mononodes, of Onapa, Oklahoma; Noka, wife of Patrick Highland, of McIntosh County; and William Y. and Kiniah, the two last mentioned living with their mother in Washington.
Cheesie McIntosh was born on the paternal farm seven miles northeast of the present city of Muskogee in the year 1848, receiving his early education at Linden and Jefferson, Texas, and Boonsboro, Arkansas, and completing his literary studies at New Middleton, Tennessee. He then took up the burden of life for himself, first teaching school in Smith County, that state, and then assuming his law studies in the office of E. W. Turner, of Carthage. In 1889 he was admitted to practice, and was busily engaged in professional work as a member of the Smith County Bar until 1901. In April of that year he located at Checotah, thus returning to the locality of his boyhood and his father's prominence. While a resident of Tennessee he served eight years as superintendent of schools of Smith County, and five years of his residence in Checotah has been spent as Creek tribal superintendent of public schools, in connection with his legal practice. He was also a member of the Sequoyah constitutional convention and materially assisted in framing the instrument, which was accepted by popular vote but rejected by the general government. He has always taken an especially deep interest in the schools; is a stalwart Democrat, a broadminded citizen and shows decided and most agreeable evidences of his southern blood, breeding and education.
In 1879 Mr. McIntosh married Miss Mollie F. Bolton, daughter of William and Nancy (Reeves) Bolton. Before the Civil war her family numbered some of the most prominent planters of Tennessee, her immediate household comprising ten brothers and sisters: James, W. C., John, David (deceased; George; Norah, who married John Stallings; Mollie F. (Mrs. McIntosh) ; Eliza, who became the wife of Calvin Kinney; Nancy, now Mrs. John J. Ballard; and Sallie, wife of T. D. Wooten. Mr. and Mrs. McIntosh are the parents of four children- Freeland Adair, Van Allen, Daniel Newnon and Waldo Emerson McIntosh, who reside with their parents at Checotah, Oklahoma.
DANIEL NEWNON MCINTOSH
Daniel N. McIntosh received much of his education in the old Asbury Mission, supported by a church, and also attended the country schools, which were supported by the Creek government. Upon attaining his majority he engaged in farming and stock raising, and is now counted one of the successful men of his county. Although Mr. McIntosh is a Democrat of the old school, he does not at present take any active part in political movements. When the land was largely governed by the Creek laws; he was a member of the Light Horse, holding a position similar to a department chief of the present day. He also served some time as an Indian policeman, under Colonel Schoenfelt, U. S. Indian Agent. However, since the advent of statehood he has not held any office of importance, and devotes the greater part of his time to his farming interests.
In 1892 Mr. McIntosh married Alice Bailey, daughter of Daniel and Susan (Laffoon) Bailey, of Arkansas. Mr. Bailey settled in what is now McIntosh County, about 1890, and became a farmer. He died in 1902 and his wife in 1898. They reared a family of five children, namely: Alice, Mrs. McIntosh; S. W., of Oklahoma; George W., also of Oklahoma; Robert E. L. and Benjamin. Mr. Bailey had one child by a previous marriage, Annie, wife of T. J. Orsborne, of McIntosh County. Mr. McIntosh and his wife have children as follows: Hannah, Virgie, Thelma and Annie.
Mr. McIntosh is a representative citizen and prominent man of the community, being well known and highly esteemed. He owns one hundred and sixty acres of well improved land, and each of three children has an equal amount, under his charge, so that he controls six hundred and forty acres of valuable land. He is an industrious, careful farmer, and has made his own way in life, beginning with almost nothing.
ARCHIBALD E. CARDER, M. D.
In period of residence in Coweta, Wagoner County, Dr. Carder has the distinction of being the oldest physician and surgeon of this thriving little city, though he is by no means advanced in years. He is one of the representative members of his profession in Wagoner County, where he controls a large practice and where he is held in high regard both as a physician and as a citizen of distinctive loyalty and public spirit.
Dr. Carder is a native of Marshall, Texas, where he was born in 1864, and a scion of one of the honored pioneer families of the Lone Star state. He is a son of George W. and Ellen (McDaniel) Carder, natives respectively of Virginia and North Carolina; their marriage was solemnized in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, and in 1863 they removed from that state to Texas. George W. Carder was loyal to the cause of the Confederacy during the climacteric epoch of the Civil war and served for some time in the commissary department, besides having been also a member of the staff of the general commanding his brigade. After the close of the war he returned to Arkadelphia, Arkansas, where he engaged in the mercantile business, in 1865, and where he continued to maintain his home until 1893, when he moved to another location and passed the remainder of his life. He died in 1903, at the age of seventy-five years, his wife having preceded him to eternal rest, as she died in 1900. Of their two surviving children the subject of this review is the elder, and Mary is the wife of James Pannell, a merchant of Arkadelphia, Arkansas. George W. Carder was one of the most influential and honored citizens of Arkadelphia, of which city he served as mayor for sixteen years, being a recognized leader in public affairs of a local order and being a man of marked ability and sterling attributes of character.
Dr. Archibald E. Carder was afforded the advantages of the excellent public schools of Arkadelphia, Arkansas, where also he attended the Baptist High School, an institution of superior facilities. After leaving school he engaged in the installing of water and electric-lighting plants throughout Arkansas. On the 1st of June, 1894, he took up his residence in Wagoner, Indian Territory, where he engaged in the lumber business. With this line of enterprise he continued to be actively identified until 1897, when he was matriculated in a medical college in the city of St. Louis, Missouri, in which he was graduated as a member of the class of 1901 and from which he received his well earned degree of Doctor of Medicine. In the same year he returned to Wagoner County and resumed his residence in Coweta, where he had previously practiced for some time as an undergraduate. He resided in what is now known as old Coweta, and when the new town of the same name was started his was the first family to take up its abode in the place. Here he has since continued in the active and successful practice of his profession, and since 1904 he has also conducted a well appointed drug store. His labors in his profession have been signally faithful and self-abnegating, and it may be stated that when he first entered practice in Wagoner County he ministered to the settlers throughout a territory covering a radius of about twenty miles, making his various professional visits on horseback and having the Creek Indians as his principal patrons, as the white settlers in this section were then very few in number. He has retained the confidence of the Indians, who regard him as their friend and counselor, and his labors have been equally appreciated by the white settlers who have come to the new state and located in this section. He has given his influence and tangible aid in furthering the development and substantial upbuilding of his residence city and is one of the essentially representative citizens of Wagoner County.
In politics Dr. Carder gives a staunch allegiance to the Democratic party, of whose basic principles he has the highest admiration, and he is a prominent factor in the party councils in his home county. He and his wife hold membership in the Christian church and he is affiliated with Coweta Lodge, No. 250, Free and Accepted Masons, and with Wagoner Lodge, No. 1059, Modern Woodmen of America. He was a member of the city council of Coweta under the old law, and has been a valued member of the board of education. He has been specially active and zealous in furthering the cause of popular education in Wagoner County and has been an earnest advocate of providing the best possible facilities, with a constantly progressive policy.
In 1892, was solemnized the marriage of Dr. Carder to Miss Nettie May Rowley, a daughter of John C. and Elizabeth Rowley, of Arkadelphia, Arkansas, to which state they moved from Indiana in the early '80s. Dr. and Mrs. Carder have no children. They are prominent in the social life of the community and their pleasant home is a center of gracious hospitality.
THEODORE S. JOHNSON
A successful merchant of the Cherokee country for years and now a leading business man and marshal of Vian, Sequoyah County, Theodore S. Johnson has been identified with the advancement of Oklahoma almost continuously since 1885. He is a native of Lincoln County, Tennessee, where he was born February 9, 1859, but at the age of eight years accompanied his parents to Arkansas. For some twenty years they resided in Poinsett, Craighead and Benton counties, that state, the father dying in Benton County in 1889 and his widow (nee Martha Pasinger) in Oklahoma during July, 1908. The paternal grandfather, David Johnson, long resided in Tennessee, on the border between Giles and Lincoln counties, and married Millie Bryan, an Irish lady, by whom he had nine children. Of these the father of Theodore S. was the eldest, the other members of the family being: Jane, who became Mrs. Nelson of Giles County, Tennessee; Sarah, who married Ben Malone of Alabama; Hiram, who died in Arkansas; "Sis," who married George Hope of Tennessee and Nancy, who became Mrs. Young and also resided in that state; John H., who passed his life in the Lone Star state; William G.; and Adaline, who married a Mr. Newman and also resides in Texas. Besides Theodore S., of this sketch, the children of the household were as follows: Nancy Verina, now the wife of William M. Bell, of Tamaha, Oklahoma; P. Jefferson, a resident of Haskell County, that state; Dee, now of Boxar County, Texas; and Lillie V., who became the wife of John Adams, of Roswcll, New Mexico.
When Theodore S. Johnson was a boy the conditions in Arkansas were not favorable for the acquirement of an education, particularly by one whose parents were in straightened circumstances. His education was consequently neglected, but he became a good farmer and just before he reached his majority became an independent agricultural factor in the community. In the course of his wanderings for profitable employment and general self-improvement he moved into Franklin County, Arkansas, where he found a large share of his good fortune in the shape of a wife. Aside from this addition to both his resources and responsibilities, when he migrated to the Choctaw country he possessed but seventeen dollars and a half. But he located in the fertile Arkansas river bottoms near Blaine and there placed himself in easier financial circumstances. The family then went to the Cherokee country, vibrating between the Indian territory and Arkansas until Mr. Johnson made a more permanent stand at Tamaha, Oklahoma, and engaged in merchandising. He was an active merchant there for six years and the closing out of his business brought him sufficient capital with which to purchase the large stock of general goods from Gill and Kreipkee of Vian. Since that time and in that place he has developed a large trade not only as a general merchant, but as a dealer in town real estate and farming lands, owning personally five hundred acres of land near Vian. He also dealt quite extensively in cattle and farm produce, and is the owner of improved and valuable town property. Since he accepted the marshalship of the town, however, he has placed the active management of his store in other hands. In politics, Mr. Johnson is a Democrat and has served as mayor of Vian and as a member of the school board. On the 5th of October, 1885, he married Miss Sarah J. Hopper, daughter of Zachariah Hopper, who was a resident of Franklin County, Arkansas, but a native of Georgia. Mrs. Johnson was born in the county named May 11, 1861, and has become the mother of the following children: Ethel, who married Frank Thompson and now resides in New Mexico, mother of a daughter, Milli; Myrtie M., wife of Walter West of Vian; Fleettee 0.; Madaline I., who is the wife of Gordon Mabray of Vian; Bonnie Alta and Pitty Crude Johnson. Both Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are earnest members of the Baptist church.
JEFFERSON E. HAYES
An influential factor in the financial and business circles of the vigorous young commonwealth of Oklahoma and one who wields much influence as a man of affairs and as a liberal and progressive citizen is Mr. Hayes, who is president of the First National Bank of Webber's Falls, Muskogee County, and who is one of the leading merchants of this thriving little city, where he has an inviolable hold upon popular confidence and esteem.
Mr. Hayes is a native of Bartow County, Georgia, where he was born on the 17th of April, 1862, and he is a scion of one of the honored families of that fine old southern commonwealth, where he was ushered into the world at a time when the state was the scene of much of the strenuous conflict of the Civil war. He is a son of Marion T. and Catherine (Smith) Hayes, the former of whom was born in North Carolina and the latter in Tennessee. His father was a successful planter and influential citizen of Georgia at the inception of the Civil war, through the ravages of which he met with severe financial reverses, as did the majority of the citizens of the south who were loyal to the cause of the Confederacy and to the institutions under whose influence they had been reared. He was among the first to tender his services in defense of the cause of the Confederacy, enlisting in a Georgia regiment of volunteers and serving with the same from the opening of the great internecine conflict between the states until the close of the same. He was a member of the Eighth Georgia Battalion, whose record was one of utmost gallantry and severe service, and with the same he took part in many of the important battles incident to the progress of the war, including that of Iuka, where he was severely wounded, being incapacitated for service for some time. This honored veteran of the Confederacy still maintains his home in Georgia, residing in Adamsville, and has attained to the patriarchal age of ninety years (1909). His cherished and devoted wife remains by his side and is seventy-five years of age at the time of this writing. Of their nine children all but one attained to years of maturity: James W., who died in Webber's Falls, Oklahoma, in 1892, was one of the pioneers and honored citizens of this place; Amelia is the wife of Edward J. Slaughter, of Webber's Falls; George W. died in Georgia, where his family still reside; Sarah E. became the wife of Douglas Bradley and both are now deceased; Rozetta is the wife of William S. Bradley and they reside in Georgia; Jefferson E., subject of this review, was the next in order of birth; Benjamin M. is a representative farmer residing near Webber's Falls, Oklahoma; and Sophrona P., now deceased, was the wife of M. A. Lucas, a resident of Russellville, Arkansas.
Jefferson E. Hayes was reared to maturity in his native state, to whose schools he is indebted for his early educational discipline. He assisted in the work and management of the home plantation until he had attained to the age of twenty years, when, in November, 1883, when he came to the Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory, and became one of the pioneers of Webber's Falls, with whose business and civic interests he has been prominently identified during the long intervening period, within which he has witnessed and aided in the development of this favored section and seen the same become a part of one of the sovereign states of the Union. Soon after his arrival he engaged in the general merchandise business in Webber's Falls, where he also established a cotton gin, and he secured land in the vicinity, bringing the same into effective requisition in the raising of cotton, cereals and other products, besides which he became an extensive dealer in cattle. Fortified by indomitable energy, marked business acumen and sterling integrity of purpose, he was able to realize a large measure of success in his various operations and he soon gained recognition as one of the leading citizens of this section of the state. In 1902 he became associated with other representative capitalists in establishing the first bank in Webber's Falls,-the First National Bank, and he has been president of the institution from the time of its inception. J. C. Buchanan was the first cashier, and was succeeded by H. H. McCauley, the present incumbent. Frank Vore is vice-president. The bank is one of the solid financial institutions of the state and its promoters and organizers did much to further the industrial and commercial prestige of Muskogee County when they organized the bank and gave to the same their personal and capitalistic support. In many other ways has Mr. Hayes contributed with all of liberality and zealous appreciation to the development of the state in which he is an honored pioneer and of the section which had but few white settlers when he here took up his abode with the definite object of establishing a permanent home. When he came to Webber's Falls his financial resources were limited, but his prescience and mature judgment have enabled him to gain a large measure of success along the varied lines of industrial and business enterprise to which he has directed his attention. His general mercantile establishment in Webber's Falls is one of the most extensive in the county and controls a large and representative patronage. He maintained his residence in this place until 1908, when he purchased a handsome modern residence in the city of Muskogee, which is now the family home, though he continues to give his personal supervision to his varied interests in Webber's Falls. He is an extensive dealer in real estate, and through his operations in this line has done much to secure to Muskogee County and other sections of the state a desirable class of citizens. Though he has at all times given his aid and influence in the support of such political measures as have conserved the general welfare of the community he has had no desire for public office. He is a stalwart in the camp of the Democratic party and is well fortified in his opinions as to matters of public policy. He is affiliated with the Woodmen of the World and he and his family hold membership in the Missionary Baptist church.
In 1882, shortly before his removal to the present state of Oklahoma, Mr. Hayes was united in marriage to Miss Mary Boulineau, who was born and reared in the state of Georgia and who is a daughter of B. L. and Mary (Dove) Boulineau, the former of French and the latter of English lineage. Mr. and Mrs. Hayes have four children,- Leila, Catherine, Freda and Mary,-and the family is prominent in the social life of the community.
GEORGE W. HOGAN
HE WAS elected the first sheriff of Delaware County, in 1907, was born October 7, 1858, in Georgia, and moved to Arkansas in 1873, thence in 1883 to Oklahoma, which has since been his residence. He was a farmer and also a vocal music teacher before his election to office. He was educated in the Georgia public schools. His father was born in North Carolina, was a farmer, and died during the war, being a private in the Confederate army. The mother, born in Tennessee, now lives in New Mexico.
Mr. Hogan had two brothers, William, born in 1859, died in 1902, and Thomas, born in 1860. He is a man of considerable importance in the city, the owner of considerable property, and has the confidence and esteem of the entire community. Mr. Hogan married, March 1, 1883, Ellen, daughter of Martin and Mary (Leforce) Tygert, born in Arkansas in 1861. Her father, a farmer and a member of the Arkansas Legislature, now lives in Benton County, Arkansas. Mr. and Mrs. Hogan became parents of the following children: Norman, born December 25, 1883, and Lloyd, born in November, 1894, both deceased; Ninia; Cleveland, born March 23, 1888; Thomas V.; Mack, born in 1896; and Ellen, born September 18, 1901. Cleveland married Arlie Day and Ninia married Lena Brewster.
One of the oldest residents of McIntosh County, was born eleven miles south of Muskogee, Oklahoma. He is a son of Bill Grayson, who was a son of William, half white, of Scotch parentage. The Grayson family came from Alabama in 1832, and were members of the McIntosh party. Robert Grayson's mother was Mariah Grayson, a full-blood Creek, whose parents died in Alabama. The Graysons were one of the leading Indian families, and Bill Grayson was one of the most successful and prominent farmers of this section; he was killed during the war by jayhawkers or robbers, for his money and personal property. He did not take any active part in the war, but was a peaceable, law-abiding citizen, and his loss was mourned by many. His death occurred at Fort Gibson, and he left a widow and three children. The children were: Zclla, widow of Cillie Harrutt, three-quarter Creek; William, and Robert. Mrs. Grayson survived her husband but a short time.
At a very early age Robert Grayson was thrown upon his own resources; he was reared by his uncle, William Grayson, but began farming on his own account when a young man. He has been very successful, and now owns eight hundred acres of fine land, and lives in a handsome modern cottage. He located on his present farm about 1885, when this section was but sparsely settled, and there were only a few houses between Checotah and Eufaula, a distance of ten miles in either direction. The majority of the Indians lived in the timber, which was less exposed to inclement weather than the prairie, and also abounded with wild game, though the buffalo, elk and antelope had moved farther west. Large herds of cattle roamed on the prairies and the lowlands of the rivers. The country was at that time peaceful in the main, but there were frequent interruptions of this peace, although of no very serious nature or far-reaching results. Mr. Grayson is one. of the most successful farmers of the region and now cultivates about two hundred acres of land. He is a public-spirited citizen, and is independent in politics.
By his first wife, Wena, Mr. Grayson had one son, Johnson, deceased. In 1883 Mr. Grayson married the second time; his wife, whose Christian name is Louisa, was left an orphan very young, and was one of three children, of whom one died in infancy. Her parentage is unknown. By this marriage Mr. Grayson has had eight children, of whom three are dead; the others are: Robert, Emma, Billie, Watt, and Frank.
JUDGE PRESLEY D. MITCHELL
Prominent among the highly esteemed and valued citizens of Stillwater, Payne County, is Presley D. Mitchell, County Judge of Payne County and one of the foremost lawyers of this section of Oklahoma. A son of Lycurgus J. Mitchell, he was born, December 12, 1870, at Jacksonville, Missouri. His paternal grandfather, Thomas J. Mitchell, an Irishman, born in Virginia, died in Madison County, Kentucky, where he settled when young, and where he subsequently married Nancy Harris, the daughter of a citizen of prominence, being one of a large family of children.
The only child of his parents, Lycurgus J. Mitchell was born in Madison County, Kentucky, and about 1840 located in Missouri, where he was fairly successful as a farmer, carrying on his agricultural labors in Randolph and Macon counties. During the Civil war he served as a soldier in the Confederate army. In 1902 he came to Oklahoma, and now resides five miles south of Ripley. He married a daughter of Presley Doggett, who reared several children, the others being as follows: Emily, wife of James McGrew, one of the territorial governors of Kansas; Amanda, wife of James Gilliland, of Keokuk, Iowa; Sarah, wife of Wesley Ferrin, of Beloit, Kansas; Melissa, deceased, married Calvin Wimer; Andrew J. died in Iowa; and Addison, died in Ottumwa, that state. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Lycurgus J. Mitchell, namely: Presley D., of this brief sketch; Eugene T., who died in Payne County, Oklahoma; Emma J., wife of W. H. Jackson, of Payne County; Burkley S., who died in Payne County, in 1908; Paul Y., of Gotebo, Oklahoma; and Claud D., of Payne County.
Talented and liberally educated, Presley D. Mitchell completed his early studies at Fayette College, after which he was engaged in pedagogical work for a few years, teaching school in Randolph, Macon and Howard counties. In 1893 he began reading law with Captain Ben Eli Guthrie, at Macon, Missouri, and in May, 1894, was admitted to the bar before Judge Andrew Ellison. He tried his first case at Higbee, Randolph County, and subsequently located at Salisbury, Missouri, where he remained until coming to Oklahoma in 1900. Here he first engaged in the practice of his profession at Ripley, from there removing to Cushing, where he had the distinction of being elected as the first County Judge of Payne County, a position that he is ably and faithfully filling.
Wherever he has lived Judge Mitchell has evinced an intelligent interest in politics as a wise Democrat, and, being nominated without opposition as County Judge, defeated his Republican opponent by the party strength. He helped organize the town of Ripley, was a member of the city council, and served as city attorney and as city clerk. On going to Cushing he served as councilman in that place.
On August 29, 1901, in Stillwater, Oklahoma, Judge Mitchell married Edith T. Cox, who was born, March 1, 1876, in Macon County, Missouri, a daughter of S. M. and Susie (Todd) Cox, who moved to Lincoln County, Oklahoma, from Salisbury, Missouri. The Judge and Mrs. Mitchell have two children, Melville and Ruth. Fraternally Judge Mitchell is a Blue Lodge Mason.
SAMUEL C. FULLERTON
An esteemed and highly respected citizen of Miami and a lending lawyer of Ottawa County, Samuel C. Fullerton is widely known as one of the senior members of the Miami bar, and has here built up an extensive and remunerative practice. A son of Josiah D. Fullerton, he was born September 11, 1877, in Lawrence County, Missouri, the state in which his grandfather, John W. Fullerton, located in pioneer days.
A farmer by occupation and a slave owner, John W. Fullerton migrated to Missouri in 1833, settling in Jasper County. He accumulated a large body of land in that vicinity, and was there a resident until his death in 1855, at the age of fifty-five years. He married for his first wife a Miss Hayden, who bore him five sons and three daughters as follows:, Jesse, Taylor, Robert, John, Josiah D., Mrs. T. R, Ross, Mrs. C. C. Warner, and Mrs. Sarah Williams. By his second marriage he had one son, Samuel.
Born in 1840, in Jasper County, Missouri, Josiah D. Fullerton, received a limited education in the common schools, and during the Civil war served in the Union army, belonging to a regiment of infantry. Choosing the free and independent occupation of a farmer, he was engaged in tilling the soil in Lawrence County, Missouri, for many years, laboring diligently and meeting with well merited success in his efforts. He is now a resident of Colorado Springs, Colorado. He married Sarah E. Gibson, a daughter of David E. Gibson, who moved from Tennessee to Missouri in 1833, locating in Jasper county the same year that the Fullerton family did. She died in 1889, leaving three children, namely: William H., of Bridgeport, Oklahoma; Samuel C., the special subject of this brief sketch; and Mrs. N. E. Swindle, of Colorado Springs, Colorado.
When a small child Samuel C. Fullerton accompanied his parents to their new home in Sarcoxie, Missouri, and was there brought up and educated, being graduated from the Sarcoxie High School when seventeen years of age. Subsequently reading law with Judge George F. Davis he was admitted to the bar before Federal Judge Thomas at Vinita, Oklahoma, in 1898. Mr. Fullerton had, however, had practical experience in law business m different Missouri courts, practicing in both Jasper and Lawrence counties before coming, in 1897, to Oklahoma. In this state he has confined himself almost exclusively to civil practice, combined with such commercial practice as developed during the growth of business conditions.
In his political affiliations a Democrat, Mr. Fullerton successfully managed the campaign for delegates to the constitutional convention. When local government of the place was being put in motion, he was for a number of years city attorney of Miami. He is now ex-president and city attorney for the First National Bank of Miami, and is also attorney for the City Water Works Company and for the Miami Electric Light Company, enterprises which he, with Dr. McWilliams, H. F. Reniker and James K. Moore, established.
On November 24, 1901, Mr. Fullerton married Minnie L. Beck, one of the eleven children of George W. Beck, one of the early white settlers of Ottawa County. For many years Mr. Beck was a successful merchant and business man of Ottawa County, being first located in Afton and subsequently in Miami, where until recently, when he retired from active pursuits, he was one of the directors of the First National Bank of Miami. Mr. Beck came from thrifty German stock, and was born, in 1849, in Saline County, Illinois, where he spent his boyhood days. He began his mercantile career in Shawneetown, Illinois, from there coming to Oklahoma in the "eighties." He became a resident of Miami in 1895, and has since borne his share of the burden imposed in the upbuilding of the present city. Mr. and Mrs. Fullerton have three children, namely: Pauline F., Samuel Clyde and Katherine.
Fraternally Mr. Fullerton is a Mason, prominent in the order and serving in 1903 as Grand Orator of the Indian Territory Masons. He takes an intelligent interest in everything pertaining to the advancement of the educational status of Oklahoma, and after statehood was a member of the first school board organized in Miami. Living on his farm adjoining Miami, Mr. Fullerton is doing considerable experimental work with tame grasses as his special subject. He is studying the nature of clover, timothy and alfalfa, their adaptability to Oklahoma soil, and making a strenuous effort to find some way of producing a better and hardier plant in the use of which he can create public interest.
JOHN W. REECE
One of the leading attorneys of Stillwater, and County Attorney of Payne County, is one of the old citizens of the state and city. He was born in Jamestown, Ohio, and is a son of William and Nannie (Ward) Reece, old settlers of Ohio. On the paternal side he is of Welsh descent, and on the maternal side English.
William Reece was an educator until recent years, and is now retired from active life. He came west in 1883 and settled in Great Bend, Barton County, Kansas, where he became superintendent of public instruction, and afterward accepted a position as superintendent of the schools in Emporia, Kansas. For a few years he was engaged in educational work in Nebraska and then retired from active duties, and now resides at Anadarko, Oklahoma. He and his wife are the parents of five children, as follows: Linna of Anadarko; Lois, wife of Frank Beam, of McPherson, Kansas; Archie F., wife of J. C. Petro, of Hutchinson, Kansas; John W.; and Hazel, wife of M. C. Peters, of Waurika, Oklahoma.
John W. Reece was educated in the public schools of Springfield, Ohio, and after coming west also attended school in Great Bend, Kansas. He graduated from the city high school of Emporia in 1902, and for one year took a course in the academic department of the State Normal School of Emporia. He taught school one year and then entered upon the study of law. He spent two years in the office of Francis Martin, at Fall City, Nebraska, and in 1906 took examination for admission to the bar before the Supreme Court of Nebraska, and was admitted to practice law. He then removed to Joplin, Missouri, and engaged in the practice of his profession, and at different times while there was associated in practice with the well known law firm of Galen and A. E. Spencer, also with ex-Lieutenant Governor S. H. Claycomb. In 1900 he removed from Joplin to Stillwater, where he soon became well known for his ability in the legal profession. In 1903 he was elected city attorney, and has been re-elected twice; he held the office until his election to the office of County Attorney in 1907, still held by him. He has always been a strong supporter of the Democratic party, by whom he has been elected to positions of trust. Few men of his profession in this section of Oklahoma are equally well and favorably known. He has been admitted to practice law by the courts of Nebraska, Missouri, Oklahoma and by the Federal Courts.
When Mr. Reece first settled in Stillwater the population numbered about twenty-four hundred, and has now nearly doubled. He has always taken a keen interest in public affairs and progressive movements. He is especially interested in school and church work, he and his wife both being members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He belongs to Stillwater Lodge Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Stillwater Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen and K. 0. T. M.
Mr. Reece married, December 30, 1903, in Joplin, Mabel, daughter of J. W. and Mary Radley; her father was superintendent of mines in Joplin. Mr. and Mrs. Radley had five children, namely: Mabel, Augusta, Conrad, Karle and Mary. The parents now reside in Jerome, Arizona. Mr. Reece and his wife are parents of three children, Eulah M., Robert W., and Lenore Marian.
Mr. Reece has been the attorney for his city and county in some very important civil litigations, and his success in these cases, as well as in the many civil cases for private citizens, has contributed no small part in his present standing before the people as a lawyer and citizen. As County Attorney he has been successful. So far during his present term he has tried six murder cases, resulting in five convictions. In one case the jury sentenced the defendant to forty-five years in the penitentiary. He believes in law enforcement and the people believe in him.
WILLIAM F. SMITH
Of all the old frontier cattle men of Texas who settled in Kay County, Oklahoma, William F. Smith is the only one left who is still engaged in the business. His fame among the people of his vocation began more than three decades ago on the border line in Texas, and many interesting pages might be written of his experiences covering a score of years in the "Lone Star State."
Mr. Smith is a native of the Shenandoah Valley. He was born at Harrisburg, Rockingham County, Virginia, in March, 1846, and has in his veins a mixture of Irish, English and German blood-a combination which is found in many of the best of our American citizens. John L. Smith, his grandfather, came to this country from Ireland and settled in the Shenandoah Valley, where he was a planter and slave owner. Among his sons was one John M., who was born at Harrisburg, Virginia, in 1819; passed his life there as a trader, and died at that place in 1877. John M. Smith married Lydia Huffman, who was of German and English parentage, and who died in 1896, at the age of seventy-two years. Of the children of this union only one reached mature years-William F.
Before he was sixteen William F. Smith left school and entered the army, and after his soldier life was ended circumstances were such that business seemed of more importance to him than schooling. Consequently his education is of that broad kind gained in the school of experience rather than under the instruction of a teacher in the schoolroom. He enlisted in the Seventh Virginia Cavalry, Stewart's division of General Lee's army, and took part in all the movements of that noted cavalry leader; was wounded, twice taken prisoner but escaped, and saw the close of hostilities, when the Confederate leaders sheathed their swords and advised their followers to return home and aid in reuniting our common country.
From 1865 to 1868 Mr. Smith made his home in Baltimore, Maryland, trading and dealing in stock and getting an insight into the cattle business as it was carried on the shores of Chesapeake Bay. In 1868 he came west. That year he established his home at Decatur, Wise County, Texas, and during the next two or three years he was a driver over the trail from Texas to Abilene and to Baxter Springs, Kansas. He became acquainted with both the Chisholm and the Dodge trails and knew the great men of the business then as others have since known him. Following this experience he began a life of wandering over the Texas frontier, and bought cattle in almost every settlement, He also became a cattle raiser as well as a dealer, and had an interest in the "OS," the "O-spear," and the "Turkey Track" brands. In 1877, he drove the first bunch of cattle into the country around Sweetwater, intending to go on west to another grazing ground, but the Indians stole the horses belonging to his party, and the outfit, thus stopped, remained in that country for three years. In 1880, we find him in the Cheyenne and Arapahoe country of Oklahoma. He, however, continued to call Texas his home until 1888, when he came to the Osage country in the Indian Territory. At the time Mr. Cleveland became president Mr. Smith had a ranch in the Cheyenne and Arapahoe country, and by the connivance of a few government officials he was forbidden by the president to remain. As a result of this order to vacate the land he was occupying, Mr. Smith lost heavily. Also at one time he was engaged in ranching at the Double Mountain fork of the Brazos river. Between the years 1868 and 1888 he drove thousands of cattle across the United States into Canada, and sold them to grazers and feeders in the British dominion.
On coming to Oklahoma Mr. Smith settled about three miles east of the Ponca agency, on the old Peacock ranch, where for a few years he was associated with a company which pastured a large part of the Osage domain. After severing his connection with the company he continued business as an individual, increasing his holdings until in his palmy days he shipped out of the country in a single year no less than fifteen thousand head of cattle. Now, however, he has only a small ranch, near Kaw City, in the Osage country, and as the years crowd down upon him he finds it to his liking to curtail his business toward the final point of windup.
Mr. Smith has been a member of the Cattle Raisers' Association since its organization in 1880, and for a long time was one of the inspectors of the association. In Masonic work he has advanced through the various degrees up to and including those of the Knight Templar and Mystic Shrine. Politically he is a Democrat.
Personally Mr. Smith is a man of stocky build, with strong and determined features and mental qualities to match-withal a striking appearance. With his wife and only child, Lydia, now entering womanhood, he resides in a splendid home on North Fifth street, Ponca. Mrs. Smith, whom he married in Winfield, Kansas, was formerly Miss Mattie J. Delozier, and is a daughter of Fountain Delozier, originally of Missouri.
GEORGE E. CARNEY
Prominent among the keen, progressive business men that located in McIntosh County at a very early period of its settlement and have since aided in every possible way its growth and advancement, whether relating to its agricultural, industrial or financial interests, is George E. Carney, now president of the First Bank of Hoffman and one of the foremost citizens of that place. A son of the late George R. Carney, he was born in the village of Crystal Springs, Copiah County, Mississippi. His grandfather, John Carney, was born and reared in South Carolina, but subsequently settled in Alabama, from that state migrating to Mississippi.
George R. Carney was born in Perry County, Alabama, in 1844. Although but a boy when the Civil war broke out he bravely offered his services to his country, enlisting, in January. 1862, in the Confederate army, and serving until the close of the conflict. He was at the front in many important battles, including among others the engagements at Vicksburg, Corinth and Port Hudson. Returning home he courageously set to work to retrieve the family fortunes, which, like those of his neighbors and friends, had almost entirely disappeared. He had been brought up on a large plantation, where all of the work had been carried on by slaves, but in the new order of things he manfully put his shoulder to the wheel, and subsequently devoted his energies to the management of his land, as a planter meeting with good success. He died while yet in the prime of life, in 1906. George R. Carney married Eliza Brown, who was born in Mississippi, and died in 1900. They reared seven children, namely: John D., a wealthy planter in Copiah County, Mississippi; Corinne, wife of B. W. Mathis, of Crystal Springs, Mississippi; George E., the special subject of this brief biographical sketch; Saliie M., wife of J. D. Perry, a machinist in Crystal Springs, Mississippi; Walter L., deceased, late of Crystal Springs, Mississippi; Minnie, wife of A. 0. Doss, of Crystal Springs, and Stella, wife of Harry Ritterhoss, of Hoffman, McIntosh County, Oklahoma.
George E. Carney received excellent educational advantages in his native state, attending first the public schools, subsequently being graduated from the Commercial College at Meridian, and later taking a course of study at the State University in Oxford, Mississippi. Embarking then in business for himself, he established a general store at Crystal Springs, afterwards opening the first wholesale grocery in that place. He was successful in his mercantile career, and carried on an excellent wholesale business until coming to Oklahoma in 1905. Locating in McIntosh County, on the present town site of Hoffman, Mr. Carney, perceiving the great possibilities of the place, immediately made a bold venture in real estate and building. Buying land, he erected the first business house of any importance in this part of the county. At the same time, in order to further advance the interests of the community and to assist worthy individuals who came here with limited means, he gave financial aid to enable early settlers to buy farming lands or establish homes, thus becoming in a manner the "father" of the town.
In 1907 Mr. Carney and his brother-in-law, Mr. Ritterhoss, opened a general hardware store in Hoffman, stocked it with a fine line of farmers' and builders' supplies, and is carrying on an extensive and lucrative business in that line. At the opening of the town site the incorporators of the town established a small banking institution, and in 1906 Mr. Carney with others organized the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank, of which he was the principal stockholder and the vice-president. In April, 1909, these two banks consolidated under the name of the First Bank of Hoffman, capitalizing it at ten thousand dollars and electing George E. Carney president; D. W. Kensey, vice-president, and Charles Dorsey, cashier. This institution has been prosperous from the start, and is carrying on a very substantial business for a new country. It has already attained a good standing in the financial world, and has corresponding banks in several important money centers, including Muskogee, Oklahoma; Kansas City, Missouri, and Saint Louis, Missouri.
Mr. Carney also owns valuable real estate, having farm lands in both McIntosh and Okmulgee counties, improved and unimproved, some of it being located in close proximity to oil regions or mineral fields. Politically Mr. Carney takes an active interest in the success of the Democratic party, supporting its principals by voice and vote, and has served his town as treasurer and in other minor offices. Fraternally he is a member of Hoffman Lodge, No. 211, I. 0. 0. F.
Back to Page 29
Back to Biographies
A. LEE BATTENFIELD
Among the native born citizens of Oklahoma, many of whom have made the most of their opportunities for acquiring
land, is Daniel Newnon McIntosh, who has for several years past devoted his time and attention to the cultivation
of the two crops bringing the best results in this section, corn and cotton. Mr. McIntosh is one of the oldest
residents of McIntosh County, and was born in what is now Muskogee County, October 15, 1862, a son of Colonel D.
N. and Jane (Ward) McIntosh. Colonel McIntosh is mentioned at greater length in the sketch of Cheesie McIntosh,
found on preceding pages of this work.