The History of Oklahoma Biographies Vol. II
by Luther B. Hill
L. A. FOSHEE
Standing prominent among the industrious and far-sighted men who have been actively identified with the development and advancement of the industrial interests of McIntosh County is L. A. Foshee, a well-known merchant and farmer of Hitchita. He was born, February 6, 1854, in Tallapoosa County, Alabama, a son of Riley and Susanna (Sarrells) Foshee, natives of Georgia. During the Civil war Riley Foshee served in the Union army from 1861 until 1865, being on special duty the greater part of the time. At the close of the conflict he returned to his plantation in Alabama, and remained there until 1880, when he migrated with his family to Arkansas, where he spent the remainder of his long life, dying, in 1899, at the venerable age of eighty-two years. His widow, now a resident of Pike County, Arkansas, is ninety-two years old. Of the children born of their union twelve grew to years of maturity, as follows: Wiley, of Arkansas; John, of Alabama; Matilda, wife of William Grimes, of Alabama; Mary, wife of Mack Kimon, of Arkansas; E. J. and Newton, of Arkansas; L. A., the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Calista Patterson, of Pike County, Arkansas; Susanna, wife of James Williams, of Arkansas; Simeon, of Alabama; Jeremiah, also of Alabama, and Anna.
L. A. Foshee received a limited education in a private school in Alabama. In 1879 he located in Pike County, Arkansas, where he carried on general farming for twelve years, meeting with fair success. Coming from there to the Creek Nation in 1891, he located first on the Arkansas river, twenty-five miles northwest of the present site of Muskogee. Muskogee at that time was taking great pride in the possession of three mercantile houses, one being owned and conducted by Clarence Turner, a hardware merchant with a limited capital; a dry goods and grocery store was conducted by a Mr. Patterson, and a similar establishment was managed by Captain Deafer. There was one bank in the place and a few business places of minor importance, including restaurants and boarding houses, and there was also one drug store. The country roundabout was in its pristine wildness, the vast prairies being covered with horses and cattle, which were under the care of the natives, no white man being seen outside of Muskogee. While living on the Arkansas river Mr. Foshee was extensively engaged in agricultural work, farming more land than any other man in that vicinity. His neighbors would frequently inquire why he farmed so much good pasture land, thus spoiling the ranges. After living in that locality three years he came to old Hitchita, which, with the surrounding country, was one great prairie. He located among the Indians, being for a time the only white man in what is now McIntosh County. He settled on land that was afterwards allotted to his wife, who was a one-eighth blood Creek Indian, and to her children. He labored hard to improve his property, and ere statehood had under cultivation about thirty acres, which was then considered a large farm, in the meantime occupying the small log house, fourteen by sixteen feet, which the Five Civilized Tribes built on settling in this country, subsequently using it as the Council House. This house, which has a stone chimney, Mr. Foshee still keeps in a fine condition. It is made of hewn logs, six by ten inches in diameter, while the chimney, which is made of stone hewn by the Indians, he has removed to another house in the same yard. This chimney has the names of its builders cut in the stones, but being carved in the language of the Creek Indians cannot be read by the visitor or even by Mr. Foshee. This was the very first house erected in the Creek Nation, and was originally a double house, just double its present size. Among other relics and papers of interest in the possession of Mr. Foshee is a copy of the first treaty made by the secretary of the United States with the Creek Indians, some of the papers bearing date of 1808.
Mr. Foshee married, August 21, 1874, Mary A. Berryhill, a daughter of William Berryhill, of English descent. His wife was of Creek Indian parentage. Mr. and Mrs. Berryhill reared seven children, namely: Silas, living in Alabama; Mrs. Cynthia Clayton, of Alabama; Jerusha, wife of Joseph Gibson, of Wagoner County, Oklahoma; Thomas, of Alabama; Mary A., wife of Mr. Foshee; Mattie, wife of Joe Foshee, of Alabama; and Frankie, wife of Frank Mann, of Alabama. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Foshee has been brightened by the birth of seven children, of whom six are living, namely: Mattie, wife of Joseph C. Morton, of whom a brief sketch appears elsewhere in this volume; W. R., engaged in farming in McIntosh County; Susanna, wife of P. D. Berryhill, of Hitchita; S. L., engaged in agricultural pursuits; Walter, a merchant and farmer; and Andrew J., also engaged in farming and mercantile pursuits. Politically
Mr. Foshee is a Democrat, and takes great interest in the success of his party. Religiously both Mr. and Mrs. Foshee are members of the Primitive Baptist church.
BENJAMIN F. WYLDE
One of the pioneers of Ponca City, Oklahoma, made the run into the "Strip" on opening day, 1893; located a claim, proved up and patented the same, and has since maintained his home there. Mr. Wylde steamed out of Arkansas City, Kansas, on the lower step of the front end of the first Santa Fe passenger train that left there at the firing of the official pistol, and, with stakes prepared and with flags in hand ready to mark his location he jumped from his perch when the train pulled into Cross, the official town of the railroad, and ran southwestward to the grassy sward, the site of his future home, and staked the south half of the southeast quarter of Section 21, and the north half of the northeast quarter of Section 28, township 26, range 2 east. Others followed him, men much younger than himself, but none could match him as a sprinter when a free home in such a rich country as this was at stake and, although his claim was contested, it was a half hearted battle and he distanced his enemies. Six years from the day he staked his claim he filed government patents for it, and the last act in his drama of settling in the west was closed.
The encroachments of the town of Ponca began to be felt, and a demand arose for the platting of a portion of his land. He did so from time to time, and has platted as many as five additions to the town, concluding the disposition of his property for town purposes in the summer of 1909, when the last batch of more than three hundred lots was placed upon the market. In settling here, Mr. Wylde was fortunate in joining both sites of the rival towns of Cross and Ponca City. The town of Cross seemed to have the initial advantage because of the fact that it was fathered by the Santa Fe Company. It was laid off by the Cherokee Townsite Company, a concern which arranged with those Cherokees who declined to sell their homestead rights to the government, but located tracts in different parts of the reservation for their homes. These tracts fell into the hands of the Cherokee Townsite people and Colonel Baker had charge of their interests at Cross. The town of Ponca was arranged for by a company of Arkansas City men, chief among whom here was B. S. Barnes, afterward a prominent citizen of the town. From the day of the opening a strong rivalry existed between the towns, which, after a few years, ended in the capitulation of a few of the Cross leaders and a unification of urban sentiment in favor of Ponca City.
Mr. Wylde was born at Vermilion, Erie County, Ohio, September 11, 1843. At his native place, at Dixon, Illinois, and at Valparaiso, Indiana, he passed his boyhood days, and in the last named place he reached his majority. The family left Ohio in 1850. and it was in 1856 that they settled at Valparaiso, on a farm. In the time of the Civil war he left the farm and entered the army, going out as a member of Company H, Twenty-third Indiana Infantry, under Captain Moore in Colonel Babbitt's regiment, which was a part of the army of the Cumberland, and served in Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia, participating in many of the heavy battles of the Atlanta campaign. When Atlanta fell this regiment was detailed to guard the country between there and Chattanooga; to tear up the railroad, and to do other duty calculated to cripple the enemy and render further resistance impossible. In July, 1865, Mr. Wylde was honorably discharged at Indianapolis, Indiana, and two months afterward he came west to Kansas. He visited McPherson, Franklin, and other counties of the state, and in Ottawa, although past his twenty-second year, he went to school for some time. From there he went to Missouri, where he settled and where for twenty-five years he made his home, leaving there in 1893 to come to Oklahoma. This period of twenty-five years was spent near Mexico, where he was first a farmer, then a teacher, and finally a nurseryman.
Mr.Wylde's father, James Wylde, was an Englishman. He was born in Wellington, England, in 1811, came to the United States in 1831 and settled in Erie County, Ohio, with his parents and other members of the family, James being the fourth in a family of seven children. The others were: John, who died near Kendallville, Indiana; William, who passed away at Vermilion, Ohio; Jesse, who reared a family near Unionville, Missouri, and died there; Fannie, who married Thomas Grover, a sea captain whom she met en route to America, and who afterward was engaged in the lake trade, their home then being in Chicago; Mary, wife of Shepard Grover, died at Vermilion, Ohio; and Hannah, wife of George Worcester, who also died at Vermilion. In the early days James Wylde was an iron manufacturer, but finally he settled down on a farm and devoted the latter years of his life to agricultural pursuits. He married Mary Hitchcock, a daughter of David Hitchcock, of Vermilion, Ohio. She died in Mexico, Missouri, in 1906, at the age of eighty-nine, having outlived her husband some years. Their children were Sarah A., who married Elliott Cohoon, and whose death occurred in Audrain County, Missouri; Benjamin F., the subject of this sketch; Lucy E., wife of C. J. Defaivre, of Idaho; David L., of Ft. Morgan, Colorado; George W., who died in Washington; James M., postmaster of Benton City, Missouri; and William E., who died in Callaway County, Missouri.
On September 29, 1883, Benjamin F. Wylde married, in Benton City, Missouri, Miss Anna Stockwell, daughter of S. B. and Elizabeth (Jones) Stockwell, formerly of Maysville, Kentucky. Mrs. Wylde was born at Kokomo, Indiana, in 1862. The fruit of their union is a son, William Franklin Wylde, a young business man of Ponca City, identified with a prominent real estate firm. He was born October 2, 1884, and in September, 1905, married Miss Carrie Davis, of Perry, Missouri.
In his early life, Benjamin F. Wylde was n Republican, but the shifting of party lines and the changing of conditions have tended to make an independent voter of him. His son is a Democrat.
CHARLES A. PETERSON, M.D.
A successful physician and a prominent citizen of the old capital city of Tahlequah, has been identified with the professional and educational affairs of this section of Oklahoma since 1893. He was primarily an educator and made a reputation for himself in connection with the Cherokee Indian schools.
He was born in Crawfordsville, Indiana, June 27, 1867, lived on a farm until he was about seventeen years old, and then began his independent career as a country school teacher. He entered Wabash College as a member of the class of 1892, and by the end of his sophomore year his work in his studies and his interest in Presbyterian church affairs recommended him as the proper man to take charge in the field of missionary education, and he was accordingly selected as head of the old and famous Dwight Mission School at Sallisaw, Indian Territory. After two years and a half there he was placed in charge of the Tahlequah Institute. He began his work at the capital in January, 1896, and continued as superintendent until the fall of 1902. He then abandoned school work and entered the medical department of the University of Michigan, where he completed the four-year course and was graduated in 1906. Since then he has been in active practice at Tahlequah. He is a member of the Cherokee County Medical Society and the Oklahoma State Medical Association. His duties of citizenship are chiefly performed in the lines of education, and he is a member of the city board of education and the Carnegie library board.
Dr. Peterson was married in Indiana, September 6, 1888, to Miss Hannah N. Duckworth. She was born in Montgomery County, Indiana, December 11, 1867, her father, John Duckworth, being a pioneer of that county. Dr. and Mrs. Peterson have the following children: J. Norwood, Kenneth Perry, Dwight A. and Mary Galela.
Dr. Peterson's grandfather was William Peterson, who was born in Pennsylvania of German antecedents, and died at Crawfordsville, Indiana, in 1877, aged seventy-seven His wife was Eliza Wheat, and they had eight children.
Isaac Peterson, the Doctor's father, was born in Putnam County, Ohio, in 1835, grew up in Montgomery County, Indiana, where his parents located in 1840, and was a substantial farmer. He married Mary E. Berry, a daughter of David Berry, a Virginian by birth. She was born in Montgomery County, Indiana, in 1838, and still resides there. Their children were: Ida, wife of S. G. Patterson, of Fremont, Nebraska; Dr. Charles A.; Dr. William B., of Indianapolis; Dr. Bert D., a dentist of the same city; and his twin sister, Bertha E., wife of Royal Dice, of Crawfordsville.
RICHARD C. ALLEN
City attorney of Coweta, was born in Bladen County, North Carolina, September 14, 1882, a son of Richard P. Allen, a merchant living near Wilmington. Richard P. Allen was first lieutenant of a company in the Civil war, being most of the time stationed at Fort Fisher; he took part in few engagements. He was slightly wounded by a spent ball, which struck him on the forehead, leaving a scar which lasted him until his death. Upon returning home at the close of the war he engaged in mercantile affairs, which he continued until his death in February, 1897. He married Kate, daughter of John T. Moore, of North Carolina, the father being a relative of President Johnson's wife. Mr. and Mrs. Allen were the parents of six children, five daughters and one son, one of whom died in infancy. The daughters are: Anna P. (deceased), wife of L. P. Cromartie, of Wiggins, Mississippi ; Bertha, wife of E. C. Wooten, of Clarkton, North Carolina; Katie B., wife of Lee Smith, of Kelly, North Carolina; Ella, wife of Dixon Smith, of Lagoon, North Carolina. The daughter Ruth died in infancy. Mrs. Allen still resides on the homestead.
Richard C. Allen received his education at Kings Creek Academy, under his uncle, Y. D. Moore, now superintendent of public instruction of Caldwell County, North Carolina. He graduated from Warke Forest College, a prominent Baptist institution of North Carolina. He was admitted to the practice of law by the Supreme Court of North Carolina in 1903, beginning the practice of his profession in Wilmington and Elizabeth town, North Carolina, where he remained until November, 1903, the date of his removal to Coweta. He immediately opened an office, and his clientele has been constantly increasing from the very start. Besides a large patronage in Coweta, he also has cases in Wagoner, the county seat. Soon after coming to Coweta, in December, 1903, he received the appointment of city attorney, which he filled two years and then resigned. He was general attorney for the Western Investment Company five years, this being one of the largest mercantile establishments ever carried on in the country. Recently he has again accepted the office of city attorney, which post he so ably and acceptably fills.
Mr. Allen is prominent and popular socially, and greatly respected and esteemed. He is public spirited and enterprising as a citizen. He belongs to Coweta Lodge Number 178, Knights of Pythias, in which he now fills the chair of chancellor commander. Politically he is a Democrat, and actively interested in the success of his chosen party in the state and county.
In 1906 Mr. Allen married, in Coweta, Lillian, daughter of Charles W. Lumpkin, one of the oldest settlers in this section, but now living in Guthrie. Mr. Lumpkin's wife was Katie Kinsley. He was manager of the Town Site Company, of Coweta, and is extensively engaged in the real estate business. He and his wife have two children, Lillian, Mrs. Allen, and Carl, of Guthrie. Oklahoma.
LUKE G. McIntosh
One of the most prominent citizens of McIntosh County, Oklahoma, is Luke G. McIntosh, now holding the office of superintendent of public instruction in the county. He is a native of what is now known as Fame, in McIntosh County, and was born on the old McIntosh homestead in 1851. He is a son of Chillie and Leah (Herrod) McIntosh, both natives of northern Alabama, and the former a half breed, of Scotch extraction. The family is described at length in connection with the sketch of Cheesie McIntosh, to be found in another part of this work. Chillie McIntosh came to the Indian Territory in 1832, with the first of the Creek tribe to settle there. He was employed by the national government to take charge of them and settle them on their different allotments. He located the first settlement in the neighborhood of what is now Muskogee, and as others followed in later years he located them in different parts of the Creek Nation land.
Chillie McIntosh was a man of superior intelligence and of a good education, and served many years as interpreter for the government. He was a slave-owner and a farmer and stockman on an extensive scale. At the outbreak of the war he espoused the cause of the Confederates and raised the first Creek regiment for service, being elected colonel of same. He served in the trans-Mississippi campaign and participated in most of the battles fought by General Cooper, who was in command of the Indian troops throughout that section. At the close of the war Mr. McIntosh was a colonel commanding a brigade, and his brother, D. N. McIntosh, was colonel of the Second. When the war was over the Indian troops disbanded and returned to their homes. A great number of the Creeks held slaves and the behavior of the negroes who remained was good. In those days the criminal code among the Creeks was very strict, and amalgamation between the races severely punished-the first offense with fifty lashes, the second with one hundred lashes and the third with death to both parties.
After the war Chillie McIntosh settled on his farm at Fame and devoted his time to its improvement. He was also frequently employed as interpreter and to help in negotiating treaties with the wild tribes of Indians in their relations with the national government. He became a man of prominence in his own nation and was very useful to the government. He was fully trusted by his own people, and was a most public spirited and useful citizen. He died at the age of seventy-five years, in 1879. He was twice married, his first wife, Miss Porter, being a white woman; by her he had two sons, Rev. John and Captain William, the latter of whom served in the Confederate army. By his second marriage he had four children, namely: Albert, deceased; Mildred, deceased, wife of David Cummings; Luke G.; and Mariah, deceased, wife of James Gray.
Luke G. McIntosh first attended the mission and after the war attended school at Canehill, Arkansas, for two years; he then spent four years at Nashville, Tennessee, and for several years was prominently identified with educational matters in the Creek Nation. He taught in many of their principal schools and in 1884 was made superintendent of public schools in the nation, holding this position until statehood. He was the first to hold the office of superintendent of public instruction in McIntosh County after the advent of statehood, and has performed his duties with ability and efficiency. He was twice elected to the House of Warriors, but served only a short time, as he was soon after appointed to new school duties.
In 1882 Mr. McIntosh married Leona Raford, a native of the county and a halfblooded Indian woman, daughter of Phillip and Genette (Thomas) Raford, also of mixed blood. Nine children were born of this union, only two of whom survived, namely: Lucas, a merchant, and Ida, attending school. Mr. McIntosh and his family worship at the Baptist church.
Politically Mr. McIntosh is a Democrat of the old school, and he takes an active interest in the welfare and progress of his community. He is one of the most successful and energetic farmers of the county, having several hundred acres under a fine state of cultivation. He is a self-made man, and has made the most of his opportunities for advancement and culture. He is well known and universally esteemed.
DR. RICHARD L. FITE
He has for the past quarter of a century engaged in the practice of medicine at Tahlequah, came there from Bartow County, Georgia, in 1883, a young physician just out of college looking for a good location for beginning practice. He was born in Gordon County, Georgia, October 17, 1856. and spent his boyhood among farm scenes and associated with an atmosphere of refinement and culture. His parents were both possessed of unusually good educations. He is descended from pure German stock, and his ancestors came to America just in time to identify themselves with the cause of independence in the colonies and join the ranks of the Continental army. The name was. originally Viet, and shortly before the Revolutionary war three brothers, Peter, Conrad, and Leonard Viet, came to America; Peter settled near Salisbury, North Carolina, Leonard in Philadelphia and Conrad in Baltimore, Maryland. It was at the home of the last named that the first session of the Continental Congress seems to have been held. During the years following their settlement in America the name was somehow Americanized "Fite," probably changed by the brothers themselves, as all three branches of the family use the same spelling.
Peter Fite took part in the Revolution and became a rich slave-holding planter; he died near the place of his first settlement about 1835, at the age of eighty-seven years. His children were: Jacob; Peter; Elias; Henry; Christina, wife of Lieutenant Pierce, of Tennessee; Rachel, married John Simpson; and Mary, who married John Murray, and died in southern Illinois.
Richard's grandfather, Peter Fite, was born in 1790, and passed away in 1887; his wife, Nancy Carlock, was born in 1798 and died two years after her husband. They were also planters and wealthy slave owners, and influential citizens in their county.
Dr. H. W. Fite was born in Tennessee, in 1825, and was reared in that state, where he received his education. He received his medical education at the School of Medicine at Nashville, Tennessee; he located in Georgia for the practice of his profession, and was identified with the interests of that state until compelled by age to retire from his life of active usefulness. At the breaking out of the Civil war he was appointed a surgeon in the army of E. Kirby Smith, and took part in the battle of Perryville, in General Bragg's army. Following this he was transferred to Pemberton's army at Vicksburg, and was there paroled when the city fell into the hands of the Federals. Later he rejoined the army and was with General Longstreet's command at Knoxville until after the siege was raised; he was on the field of battle at Chickamauga. He accompanied the army of Bragg to Chattanooga, where Missionary Ridge was fought, and then General Johnston was placed in command of the army and conducted the retreat to Atlanta; Dr. Fite was with this entire campaign. Hood succeeded Johnston and was defeated in Atlanta and also at Franklin and Nashville, in all of which Dr. Fite took part as a surgeon. After this he returned to Tupelo, Mississippi, and joined Johnston, who had replaced Hood in the east, and proceeded against Sherman's army then marching north through the Carolinas; near Goldsboro, North Carolina, he witnessed the surrender of Johnston to Sherman, the end of the war.
Dr. H. W. File married Sarah T. Denman, daughter of Colonel Felix G. Denman, a soldier in the war of 1812, a large land owner and slave holding planter of Georgia. Mrs. Fite died in 1891, the mother of Judge Augustus W., a member of the supreme court of Georgia for sixteen years; Laura; Dr. Richard L.; Nancy J.; Dr. F. B., of Muskogee, Oklahoma; Sarah F.; and Mary E.
Dr. Richard L. Fite was a student in the high school of Sonora, Georgia, and on reaching his majority worked on a farm and taught school. He chose medicine as his profession, and attended the Southern Medical College at Atlanta, Georgia, where he graduated with first honors, in 1881. He took a post graduate course in the New York Polyclinic in 1891. After his graduation he practiced a year in Georgia, and spent one year in Texas, after which he came to Tahlequah, which has since been the field of his labors. He has built up a satisfactory and lucrative practice in the capital, and is recognized as one of the leading men in his profession. He and his family are all Democrats, and he has taken rather an active part in the Cherokee affairs. He was medical superintendent of the educational institution of the nation, of the insane asylum, and of the national jail for several years. He favored single statehood, and was a delegate to the two statehood conventions. He is, like his father's family, a Presbyterian, and is a member of the Knights of Pythias. He owns considerable property in and near Tahlequah and has a sumptuous country home adjoining the city limits of the historic old capital.
Dr. Fite married, in 1884, at Tahlequah, Nannie K., daughter of Carter Daniels, a prominent Cherokee citizen. Her mother was a niece of Sequoyah, the Cherokee Cadmus. Their children are: Houston Bartow, Augustus Willard, Sarah Katharine, John Stapler and Denman Wyly.
CHARLES M. RANDALL
A prominent and well-to-do citizen of Texanna, has been actively identified with the development and advancement of McIntosh County, and during its earlier days experienced his full share of the hardships, privations, vicissitudes and even horrors of border life. A son of Wiley P. Randall, he was born, April 10, 1860, in Copiah County, Mississippi. He comes on the paternal side of sturdy Scotch ancestry, his great-grandfather, S. J. Randall, having been born and bred in Glasgow, Scotland.
A self-educated man, Wiley P. Randall taught school for many years in Mississippi as a young man. During the Civil war he served four years in the Confederate army, being a commissioned officer in the cavalry belonging to General Armstrong's brigade. Being captured by the enemy at the battle of Corinth, he was confined in the prison at Rock Island, Illinois, for eight or nine months, and after his exchange rejoined his command. Moving with his family to Texas in 1868, he located at Thornton, Limestone County, where he met with excellent success in business, being first employed in farming and later in mercantile pursuits. He lived to the good old age of eighty-two years, passing away in Thornton, Mississippi, March 19, 1905. He was a man of deep religious convictions, inheriting the faith of his Scotch ancestors, and, although not a member of any church until after sixty years of age, he was never found without a Bible in his pocket. He married Elizabeth E. Wamack, who was born in Mississippi seventy-seven years ago, and is now living. She is of English descent, her emigrant ancestor having come from England to America prior to the Revolutionary war, settling in that part of Mississippi then known as the Choctaw Nation. She bore her husband the following children: Columbus, of Thornton, Texas; Charles M., the special subject of this sketch; Lula, deceased; Oscar, deceased; Jarrett G., deceased; Walter, deceased, served as corporal of his company in the standing army: Emma, wife of Dr. G. W. Stone, of Waxahachie, Texas; Alma, wife of Jesse Gentry, of Ennis, Texas; John K., of Houston, Texas; and Everett, who died in infancy.
Attending public and private schools in Thornton, Texas, and vicinity, Charles M. Randall acquired a practical knowledge of books while young. At the age of eighteen years, venturesome, ambitious and daring, he left his father's home and came to the Creek Nation, Indian Territory, locating at Eufaula, in what is now McIntosh County, where for two years he was engaged in buying and selling walnut timber. Moving then to the Choctaw Nation, he was for a while engaged in mercantile pursuits at Brooken, but after his marriage with an Indian maiden, who was one-fourth Choctaw blood, embarked in agricultural pursuits, becoming an extensive and prosperous general farmer and stockraiser. Since taking up his residence in Texanna, McIntosh County, in 1908, Mr. Randall has been mostly employed in clerical work.
When Mr. Randall located first in Eufaula the entire Creek Nation was in a state of turmoil, and the few whites were people of the most desperate character, and in their lawless acts were aided and abetted by the worst element of the Creek Indians. For two years Mr. Randall served as deputy United States marshal, and was associated with the capture of many notorious criminals. He witnessed the hanging at Fort Smith, Arkansas, of eleven of these desperate men, ten of whom were Indians, the other being a white man. The Choctaws then had a law in force making sorcery a felony, punishable by death after the third offense, and he saw three Indians tried and convicted under this law, and saw them shot.
Mr. Randall has been twice married. He married first, in 1878, in the Choctaw Nation, Luenda McKinney, a daughter of John and Sarah McKinney. Her father was one of the most prominent Indians of the Choctaw Nation, which he represented as a delegate to Washington, D. C., being known as "Layer John." His uncle, Thompson McKinney. was for many years governor of the Choctaw Nation. Mrs. Luenda Randall died in 1882. leaving two children, namely: Lottie E., who married Nute M. Southard, has passed to the life beyond; and Grover C, living at home.
Mr. Randall married for his second wife, in 1887, Julia Westbrook, who was born in Montgomery County, Illinois, a daughter of Riley and Annie E. Westbrook, who settled in the Indian Territory in 1880. Mr. Westbrook was for many years a soldier in the United States army, and served during the Civil war and for several years afterwards. He died in 1884, leaving his widow with six children, all of whom are living in the Choctaw Nation as follows: Amos; Julia, wife of Mr. Randall; Andrew J.; Joseph, deceased; Elizabeth, wife of Willis Boyd; and John B. Of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Randall six children have been born, namely: Florence E., Zoria, Ruth, Claude R., Kyle C, and Clarence A. Mrs. Randall is a valued member of the Methodist Episcopal church, while the two older daughters belong to the Baptist church. Politically Mr. Randall is an oldtime Jeffersonian Democrat, and is now rendering good service as deputy sheriff. When the first Federal Court of South McAlester was established he was made notary public, and served until statehood was declared, a period of nine years. Fraternally he is a member of Enterprise Lodge, No. 74, A. F. & A. M., and of Unity Lodge No. 71, I. 0. 0. F., of Brawley, Arkansas.
J. C. HOGAN
Of Pryor Creek, arrived in the Indian Territory on the 5th of February, 1870, and his first home here was in Evansville, he having remained there nine years before coming to Pryor Creek. His father, who came originally from Ireland, died in South Carolina, and his mother, born in Henderson County, North Carolina, died in Texas in September of 1908. J. C. Hogan came to this state from Georgia, and before establishing his home in Pryor Creek he had been engaged quite extensively in farming and in stock raising. He has the credit of having erected the first brick house in this city, and he is a man of considerable prominence here, a stockholder and director in the First National Bank.
Mr. Hogan married in the Indian Territory on the 6th of March, 1870, a native daughter of Georgia, and of the nine children which blessed their marriage union five died in childhood and those surviving are Viola Hancock, J. Z. Hogan, Graham Hogan and Mabel, all living in Pryor Creek. The parents have given to their children the best of educational advantages. The two eldest pursued courses in the seminary at Tahlequah, and J. Z. Hogan also pursued a business course at Fort Smith. He is the present mayor of Pryor Creek. He has been twice married, wedding first Alice Dege, and, second, Eva Henry. Graham Hogan, the second son, studied in Mexico, Missouri, and also took a business course at Parsons. He is the present owner of the Hogan Transfer. He married Neva Campbell. The daughter Mabel graduated from the Pryor Creek school and she is now attending William -Wood College at Fulton, Missouri.
EMMETT JOHNSON, M. D.
Distinguished not only as one of the early settlers of Haskell County, but as the pioneer physician of this entire section of Oklahoma, Emmett Johnson, M.D., is one of the leading citizens of Kinta, and as a man of enterprise, energy, and practical judgment has been an active force in promoting its material growth and prosperity. A son of William Johnson, he was reared in Oregon, where he acquired his first knowledge of books.
Born and reared in Tennessee, William Johnson lived there until after his parents moved to Missouri. Then, being somewhat inclined to rove about, he took his young wife to California. Not satisfied, however, with his chances for obtaining anything more than a mere living on the Pacific coast, he subsequently settled in eastern Oregon as a pioneer of Baker County, in the part now included within the limits of Malheur County. Locating not far from the present site of Vale, he embarked in the stock business, which he carried on successfully until his death, which was caused by an accident in 1895. He married first Martha Guin, whose parents were early settlers of Saline County, Missouri. She died in 1872, leaving six children, as follows: Sarah M., wife of W. C. Carrollton, of Missouri; James W., living in Alaska: Emmett, the subject of this brief sketch; Allen G., of Westfall, Oregon; Mrs. Jessie R. Briggs, of Seattle, Washington; and Charles E., of Westfall, Oregon. Mr. Johnson married for his second wife America Arnold, who survived him, and is now a resident of Ontario. Two children were born of that union, namely: Taylor C, of Westfall, Oregon; and Maude L., wife of Elmer Dorey, of Ontario, Oregon.
Leaving home at the age of fifteen years, Emmett Johnson found employment on the ranch of W. E. Dixon, a man of culture and education, who from the first took great interest in the youth thus brought to his notice. Under the advice and instruction of Mr. Dixon the lad read and studied evenings for three years, acquiring a far better education than the average farmer's son of those times. At the age of twenty-five years Mr. Johnson turned his attention to the study of medicine with Dr. Horn, of Union, Mississippi, and subsequently entered the University of Tennessee at Nashville, from which he was graduated with the class of 1900, having had the honor of being class president. Soon after receiving his degree of M. D. Dr. Johnson came to the Choctaw Nation seeking a favorable location, and selected the place where he has since resided, for two years thereafter making his home with Governor Green McCurtain. There were no railways in this vicinity, no town had been laid out, and there were few white people near. Meeting with good success as a practitioner, the Doctor took unto himself a wife, and, in 1902, erected the first house in what is now Kinta, Haskell County, the town being platted that same spring. The land comprised in the town site belonged in common to the Indians, but a white man secured the tract, sold the right to build, and when the restrictions were removed every man received a clear title to his property. The town immediately began to grow with surprising rapidly, business enterprises sprang up as if by magic, a veritable boom of prosperity striking the town. Cotton gins were erected, stores and factories were established, and the population increased. There are now in this comparatively new town three dry goods stores, two groceries, a bank, three churches-Baptist, Methodist and Christian-two hotels, two restaurants, two blacksmith shops, one livery stable, and a population of five hundred good people. When Dr. Johnson first located here his patronage e
The Doctor married, in 1901, Catherine Willingham, of Farmersville, Texas, a daughter of J. S. Willingham. Her parents, who were farmers, reared eight children, as follows: Lena, wife of John Jolley; Robert; Pink; Catherine, wife of Dr. Johnson; Murphy; Kirby; Pearl, a teacher in the Kinta schools; and Chester.
Dr. Johnson has acquired much property through his own exertions, in addition to his town holdings, having under a good state of cultivation three hundred acres of as fine bottom and prairie land as can be found in this section of the state, his farm being further improved with good dwelling houses for his tenants, substantial barns, and all the necessary outbuildings. He is local surgeon for the Fort Smith, Western Saint Louis, and El Reno Railways, and has served as president of what was known as the Sans Bois Medical Association. He is vice president of the Kinta State Bank.
Politically the Doctor is a Democrat, and, in 1907, represented the western portion of Haskell County as a delegate to the first Democratic convention held after statehood. Fraternally he belongs to Kinta Lodge, No. 318, A. F. & A. M.; to Kinta Chapter, No. 199, Order of Eastern Star; and to South McAlester Consistory, No. 2.
Judge Anderson has been three times married. He married first Mica Yotah Stightly, who was of mixed blood, and their only child, Park J. Anderson, is cashier of the Kinta State Bank. Mr. Anderson married for his second wife Elsie Crefat, a nearly full-blooded Choctaw. He married for his third wife Susan Cansaw, and they have one daughter, Thelma Anderson.
Judge Anderson is an extensive land holder, having under a high state of culture several hundred acres of valuable land, on which he has made improvements of a most excellent character, having a beautiful residence and all of the buildings and equipments necessary for carrying on farming according to the most modern methods. Politically Mr. Anderson is a straightforward Republican. Fraternally he is a member of Kinta Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and of Kinta Lodge, K. of P.
JUDGE WESLEY ANDERSON
Conspicuous among the better known and more prominent residents of Kinta, Haskell County, is Wesley Anderson, a thriving agriculturist and a citizen of worth and integrity. A son of John Anderson, he was born, in 1849, in the Choctaw Nation, and since early life has been actively and prominently identified with its highest and best interests.
John Anderson, a native of Mississippi, came to the Choctaw Nation with the migration of 1833, and was placed in charge of a portion of the Indians, with the title of captain. Settling at Tushkahoma, near the first Council House built by the Choctaws, he engaged in agricultural pursuits, becoming extensively employed in stock raising, but carrying on general farming on a limited scale. Public spirited and active, he did much towards advancing the civilization of the Indians, teaching them how to become self-supporting as tillers of the soil. A member of the Choctaw Nation, Captain Anderson fought during the Civil war on the Confederate side for the purpose of protecting the property of his people. He died, in 1874, at the age of eighty-six years. Captain John Anderson was three times married, his third wife, Mary Bohennon, a half-blood Choctaw, who died a short time before he did, having borne him nine children, of whom five grew to years of maturity, namely: Graham, deceased; Wesley, the special subject of this brief sketch; Houston, of the Choctaw Nation; Jensey, deceased, was the wife of Swinney McKinney; and John, deceased.
Brought up on his father's ranch, Wesley Anderson acquired great proficiency in the Choctaw language while a boy, but was taught English at that time. Succeeding to the free and independent occupation in which he was reared, he has been exceedingly prosperous in his agricultural operations, acquiring a fair share of this world's goods. Prior to statehood, he was very active and influential in public affairs, the first office to which he was appointed by the chief having been that of Light Horseman as guard to the Governor, a position which he filled most ably. He subsequently served for a long time as a representative from his district to the state capital at Tushkahoma, being first elected for the term of one year, but afterwards re-elected seven successive times to the same position. He was afterwards elected senator for a term of two years, and was subsequently re-elected twice to the same office, serving six years in the senate. Mr. Anderson was later elected County Judge for Jack's Fork, which included Pushmataha County, but resigned the position before the expiration of his term. He was then appointed one of the three superior judges of the Choctaw Nation, and served in that capacity four years. Then, just prior to statehood, Mr. Anderson was appointed treasurer of the Choctaw Nation, and served until statehood, in 1907, a little less than a year. Judge Anderson was likewise a member of Dawes Commission, and after the agreement entered into between the Choctaw Nation and the United States was a delegate from the Nation to the meeting in which the agreement was ratified, filling the office to the entire satisfaction of his people. Since statehood he has not held any official position, but has performed his obligations as a loyal citizen with ability and fidelity.
REV. DAVID C. MURPHEY
It is most gratifying to be able to present in this history a brief review of the career of this honored pioneer of the state of Oklahoma, though there is no possibility of entering into the details of his service as one of the early missionaries among the Indians of the old Indian Territory or to narrate the many incidents of his specially varied and interesting labors on the frontier of civilization. None has shown more consecration and zeal in a noble calling, and none has commanded more fully the confidence and affectionate regard of the Indians, as well as of the incoming white settlers, than this revered clergyman and missionary of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. He now maintains his home in the village of Chant, Haskell County, and is one of the venerable and honored pioneers of the great commonwealth in which he has so long lived and labored to goodly ends.
Mr. Murphey was born in Hardman County, Kentucky, in 1832, and is a son of James and Nancy (Wright) Murphey, both representatives of staunch Irish lineage. James Murphey, the founder of the family in America, immigrated from the Emerald Isle to this country prior to the war of the Revolution, in which great struggle for national independence he showed his loyalty to his adopted land by serving as a soldier under General Washington. He settled in Virginia, and after the war moved to Kentucky, becoming one of the pioneers of that commonwealth, where he passed the residue of his life. Of his children only two attained years of maturity - James, Jr., and Daniel. The former of these was the father of him whose name initiates this review. James Murphey, Jr., was one of the prominent figures in the early Indian conflicts in Kentucky, and was an intimate friend and counselor of David Crockett, one of the nation's historic characters. He was with Crockett on the latter's campaign for Congress in Tennessee. He also served under General Jackson in the war in Florida, in which he endured the hardships incidental to traversing the great everglades. He died in 1835, one of the honored pioneers of the old Bluegrass state, and his wife survived him for a number of years, having passed away in 1854. They became the parents of seven children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the youngest in order of birth, and he is now the only one surviving. The names of the other children were as here noted: John, William, Elizabeth, James, Jemima and Martha J. Elizabeth became the wife of John G. Stother; Jemima was twice married, having first wedded Thomas Freeman and after his death having become the wife of Robert Patrick; and Martha J. became the wife of Rev. Levi Colbert, a clergyman of the Cumberland Presbyterian church.
Rev. David C. Murphey was reared to maturity in Kentucky, and his early educational training was most meager, as from infancy he was handicapped by weak eyes, which rendered it impossible for him to devote himself to even the limited educational work otherwise at his command. At the age of fourteen years he was bound out to serve an apprenticeship at the printer's trade in an office at Hickman, Kentucky, but on account of the condition of his eyes he was not long able to follow the trade of compositor, though he gained valuable training in this connection, us it has well been said that the discipline of a newspaper office is equivalent to a liberal education. Upon attaining to his legal majority Mr. Murphey turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, and he also devoted considerable time to work at the carpenter's trade, as he had much natural mechanical ability.
When the Civil war was precipitated upon a divided nation Mr. Murphey showed his intrinsic loyalty to the cause of the Confederacy by enlisting as a private in Company A, Seventh Kentucky Cavalry, commanded by Colonel Faulkner and attached to Lyons' brigade. His company, however, was assigned principally to detached service in scouting, and he participated in a number of the important battles marking the progress of the great internecine conflict between the states. On the authority of a comrade familiar with the details of his protracted and faithful service as a soldier of the Confederacy, it may be said that few men in the service showed more valor and loyalty and few gained a more prominent place in the ranks of the southern armies. He has been honored by many testimonials and marks of approbation by other members of the Confederate forces, including officers of high rank, and has medals awarded for gallant and meritorious service. Mr. Murphey was captured on the Obion River in Tennessee, but affected his escape, after which he was compelled to remain in the brush for five months before he could again join his command. During this period he was fed and otherwise provided for by the southern sympathizers of the locality. He retains a deep interest in his old comrades in arms and is an honored member of the United Confederate Veterans' Association.
After the close of the war Mr. Murphey returned to Henry County, Tennessee, where he remained until 1872, after which he passed one year in Dent County, that state. In 1873 he came to the southwest and in the fall of that year he located in Sebastian County, Arkansas. In 1866 he had become a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and in 1878 he left Arkansas to become a missionary of this church in the Indian Nation. He was assigned to service among the Five Civilized Tribes in the Indian Territory, and among them he labored with all of zeal and earnestness for the long period of seventeen years, within which he accomplished results of a scope and importance difficult to imagine. He became a veritable "guide, counselor and friend" to the red men and did much to uplift them and to bring them into the fold of the divine Master. He also passed one year as a missionary among the Osage Indians, being the first protestant minister sent to this tribe after it was driven from Kansas and Missouri. His life and labors on the frontier have made him one of the most widely known and most honored ministers of the present state of Oklahoma, and in connection with this work in the early years he encountered the most lawless characters and most implacable desperadoes of the frontier. He gained their confidence, however, and they ever accorded him consideration and kindly treatment, understanding the true worth of the man, his abiding human sympathy and his desire to aid his fellow men in all walks of life. He knew the members of the famous Dalton gang, was entertained over night at the home of the mother of the Dalton boys, and performed the ceremony that united Robert Dalton to his first wife. Mr. Murphey manifested no fear of the most hardened criminals, and this had much to do with the respect accorded him by this element. He is now living virtually retired from active labors, having "fought the good fight" and having ever shown the faith that makes faithful in all the relations of life. He has viewed with pleasure and satisfaction the magnificent development and upbuilding of the state of Oklahoma and his name merits an enduring place on the role of its pioneers. In politics he has ever been an advocate of the generic principles of the Democratic Party, and he still takes a lively interest in the questions and issues of the hour.
Mr. Murphey has been married four times. In 1853 he wedded Miss Barbara Phillips, who died in 1854, leaving no children. He later married her sister, Miss Adeline Phillips, and they became the parents of eight children, concerning whom the following brief record is given: John D. is a resident of Muskogee, Oklahoma; Joseph M. resides in Washington County, this state; Madaline is the wife of William Fitz, of St. Joseph, Missouri; Mary E. is the wife of Anderson Beshears, of Pawnee, Oklahoma; Elizabeth, who became the wife of Alexander Sellers, of Eufaula, this state, is now deceased; Charles W. resides in Oklahoma; and Nancy is the wife of Charles Shade, of McAlester, this state. Mr. Murphey's second wife was summoned to eternal rest in 1884, and in 1886 was solemnized his marriage to Mrs. Lucy Lowery, who died in 1891, leaving no children. In 1892 he was united in marriage to Mrs. S. Elizabeth (Pickler) Wilson, who has been thrice married. Her first husband was William B. Williams, her second was Caleb Wilson, and by this marriage she had three children, of whom only one attained years of maturity-Eliza A., who is now the wife of Andrew J. Cooper, a successful farmer of Haskell County, this state. Mr. and Mrs. Murphey are passing their days in quiet and contentment, being surrounded by a host of devoted friends and finding that their "lines are cast in pleasant places" as the shadows of life begin to lengthen from the golden west.
Dr. John C. Robinson
Of Chant, Haskell County, Oklahoma, was born July 8, 1866, near Columbia, Missouri, and is a son of Louis and Annie (Campbell) Robinson. Louis Robinson was a successful farmer, and died in July, 1887, leaving a widow and several children; Mrs. Robinson still resides at Columbia. Their children were: Harvey, a farmer; Edward, deceased; John C.; Clara, wife of J. McIntire, of Audrain County, Missouri, and Clark, an attorney and county recorder of Boone County.
The early education of J. C. Robinson was received in the public schools, and later he attended the State University at Columbia. He completed his education by a course at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, graduating in 1890. After practicing a few months in Boone County, Dr. Robinson moved to Oklahoma, and for nineteen years practiced his profession at or near McAlester. In 1908 he located in Chant, where he has built up a large and lucrative practice. He is in partnership with Dr. Henderson, and they have the practice of the three large coal mines, which employ from three hundred and fifty to four hundred men, with their families. Thus they are given the most extensive practice of any physician in the country, and they also have quite a practice throughout the country surrounding Chant. Dr. Robinson is local surgeon for the Fort Smith & Western, and he is a member of the State Medical Association. He is a comparatively new man in his community, but has made, and is still making, warm personal friends among the old settlers and all classes from whom he receives professional calls. Politically Dr. Robinson is a Democrat.
In 1901 Dr. Robinson married, at Denver, Colorado, Mrs. Alice Anderson, whose maiden name was Dobbins, and Mrs. Robinson has one child by her former marriage, Vehna. Dr. Robinson is a thirty-second degree Mason, a Master Mason of Solomon Lodge, No. 32; a member of Indian Consistory, No. 2, at old McAlester, and of the Consistory or Scottish Rite, Albert Pike Lodge, No. 2 at South McAlester. He is also a member of the Elks order, and is affiliated with McAlester Lodge, No. 533.
SAMUEL T. PHILLIPS
The vice-president of the Farmers' and Merchants' Bank of Chant and one of the honored and essentially representative citizens of the thriving little city of Chant, Haskell County, Mr. Phillips is to be noted as a pioneer of this section of the state and as one of the founders and builders of the town in which he now maintains his home and in which he established the first mercantile business. He is now living virtually retired, and is one of the influential men of his county. He has contributed in generous measure to the civic and industrial development of this section, and is well entitled to representation in this historical work.
Samuel T. Phillips is a scion of staunch old southern stock and was born in Chickasaw County, Mississippi, on the 19th of April, 1847, being a son of William and Mary (Vandiver) Phillips, both of whom were natives of South Carolina, whence the respective families moved to Mississippi in an early day. William Phillips was a carpenter and wheelwright by trade, and was one of the first settlers in Okalona, Pontotoc County, Mississippi, in which place, he erected the first house and opened the first grocery store. Both he and his wife continued residents of Mississippi until their death, and they ever commanded the high regard of all who knew them. William Phillips continued in the mercantile business for a number of years, conducting a small store, and was one of the well-known citizens of Prairie Mount, Mississippi, at the time of his death, his devoted wife having preceded him to eternal rest. He served for a short time in the ranks of the Confederate army during the War Between the States, with the rank of sergeant. Of the ten children nine attained to years of maturity, and concerning them the following brief record is entered: William H. is a resident of Poteau, Oklahoma; Bettie is the wife of John Maloney, of Terrell, Texas; Margaret is the wife of William Brown, of Brownsville, Mississippi; Samuel T., of this sketch, was the next in order of birth; Mollie is the widow of John Chrisman, and resides in Calhoun County, Mississippi; John is a resident of New Mexico; G. Lemuel maintains his home in Faughtner; Myra is the wife of Benjamin Chrisman, of Calhoun County, Mississippi, and Henry is a resident of Texas.
Samuel T. Phillips was reared to maturity in Pontotoc County. Mississippi, where he received limited educational advantages, but he has effectively supplemented his early training by the valuable lessons learned in connection with the practical affairs of life. He was loyal to the customs and institutions under whose influence he had been reared, and when he was but sixteen years of age he tendered his services in defense of the cause of the Confederacy. He became a member of Company I, First Mississippi Cavalry, with which gallant command he saw long and arduous service. His regiment served for a time under General Forrest, later was with General Koss in Texas, and finally was assigned to the command of General Van Dorn. Mr. Phillips participated in the battles of Jackson and Harrisburg, Mississippi, and in the innumerable skirmishes in which his command was involved. His regiment was largely engaged in the scouting service, and many of the skirmishes in which it took part might well have been dignified by the title of battles, so severe and sanguinary were they. Mr. Phillips continued with his command until the close of the great fratricidal conflict between the states and his regiment was disbanded in Georgia. After his return to Okalona, Mississippi, he took the oath of allegiance to the Union and prepared to win the victories of peace. He had learned the trade of carpenter under the direction of his father, and in 1869 he set forth to seek his fortunes in the great southwest section of our national domain. He took up his abode in Yell County, Arkansas, where he continued to reside for the ensuing eighteen years, during which he devoted his attention principally to agricultural pursuits. At the expiration of the period noted, in 1886, Mr. Phillips removed with his family to the Choctaw Nation, in the present state of Oklahoma, and took up his residence near the present town of Cameron. He has thus been a citizen of Haskell County for nearly a quarter of a century, and has not only witnessed but has also materially aided in the development of this favored section, with whose interests he thus identified himself at a time when it was still a part of the Indian Territory. He reverts with pleasure to the experiences and conditions of the early days, and states with much of appreciation that at that time the moral tone of the community was fully as high as at the present, though it was n period of primitive facilities and conditions. Upon coming here Mr. Phillips resumed his active and energetic association with the great basic industry of agriculture, having leased land from the continued to be thus engaged in the vicinity of the present town of Cameron for two years and then removed to Red Oak, in which locality he was identified with the same important line of enterprise for two years. He was employed by the Choctaw Railway Company for two years. In 1893 he came to Poteau, and in 1897 moved to Bonanza, Arkansas.
In the year 1902 Mr. Phillips became one of the first settlers in the new town of Chant, where he engaged in the grocery, flour and feed business, opening the first store in the town. In this new field of endeavor he had the able co-operation of his wife, who continued his coadjutor until he retired from business. He initiated his mercantile enterprise upon a small scale, and by fair and honorable dealings and by keeping pace with the growth and development of the country he succeeded in building up a large and prosperous business, expanding the scope of the same to meet the demands placed upon his establishment and gaining a secure hold upon popular confidence and esteem. In 1909 he disposed of his business and he and his wife are now enjoying a season of rest and recreation after many years of earnest toil and endeavor. They are well known throughout this section of the state, and their circle of friends is practically coincident with that of their acquaintances.
In politics Mr. Phillips has ever been a staunch supporter of the cause of the Democratic Party, and he has been an active worker in its behalf. He has never been ambitious for public office, but in 1906 he was appointed United States marshal for the Choctaw district of Oklahoma, in which position he served for eighteen months. He and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and he is affiliated with Cazer Lodge, No. 26, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, and with Cazer Lodge, No. 222 Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Mr. Phillips has been twice married. In 1869 he wedded Miss Marthey B. Reed, daughter of Irving and Ellen (Garman) Reed, of North Carolina, and she was summoned to the life eternal in 1895. They became the parents of nine children, concerning whom the following brief data is given: Lula is the wife of Adam McAnnally, of Rushville, Arkansas; William is a resident of Blocker, Oklahoma; Mollie is the wife of Oscar Adams, of Chant, this state; Timothy IL, Samuel and James are all three residents of Chant; Elizabeth is the wife of William Moore, a prosperous merchant in Chant; Alice is the wife of James Wilsey, of Chant, and Joseph married and lives in Chant. On Christmas day of the year 1898 Mr. Phillips was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. McConnell, who was born in the state of Arkansas and who is a daughter of Samuel and Catherine (Miller) McConnell, the former a native of Tennessee and the latter of Alabama. Mr. McConnell, who became a successful farmer and stock grower in Arkansas, served four years as a soldier in the Confederate army. He died in Sebastian County, Arkansas, on the 24th of March, 1899, his wife having passed away on the 28th of the preceding month, so that "in death they were not long divided." They reared three children to years of maturity-Dr. John W., who was a physician, engaged in practice at Booneville, Arkansas, died in 1908; Rachel, who is the wife of John Williamson, of Sebastian County, Arkansas, and Mary A., who is the wife of the subject of this review.
Back to Page 30
Back to Biographies