The History of Oklahoma Biographies Vol. II
by Luther B. Hill
HARDEN H. GREEN
The proprietor of the Racket Store in Tahlequah, Harden H. Green, is one of the oldest merchants of the town, having resided there since 1886. He came here, a young shoemaker, from Cincinnati, Arkansas, where he grew up from boyhood. He was born in Honey Grove, Texas, December 26, 1858, a son of Faris Green, a stockman, who settled in Texas ten years earlier. Paris Green was born in North Carolina, but was reared in Tennessee, in the vicinity of Nashville, the year of his nativity being 1809. He was a man of more than ordinary education for his day and locality, and his knowledge was gained through his own efforts, mostly by the light of a candle or torch. He was a son of John W. Green, of North Carolina, whose only children were Paris and Tamsey.
Paris Green married Louisa, a daughter of Andrew Jackson, of the same family as "Old Hickory," of historical fame, and she died in 1884, at Miami, Oklahoma, whither the family had removed some time before, and had resided for a time. Mr. Green left Texas and located at Cincinnati, Arkansas. The children of this union were: Mrs. S. A. McSpadden, of Chelsea, Oklahoma; Mrs. Pauline Mason, of Westville; Harden H., hereafter mentioned; A. L. P., of Wagoner; Harmon, of Grady, New Mexico; Mrs. C. P. Williams, of Miami, Oklahoma; and Albert J., of Chickasha, Oklahoma.
Harden H. Green received his education in subscription schools in Cincinnati, Arkansas, and during this time spent his summer seasons raising a crop on rented land near the village. He early began learning the trade of shoemaker, and established and conducted a shop in Cincinnati some time before his removal to Oklahoma. After his arrival in Tahlequah he conducted a shoe store for six years and then embarked in the retail shoe business, in a small way, and he conducted this store four years. At the end of that time he changed the character of his store, enlarging it considerably, and including a general line of dry goods, millinery and notions; he has gradually expanded from this beginning, and now occupies a double store, fifty by one hundred feet, his establishment being one of the most important centers of trade in the capital. Until over thirty years old he was without resources other than the earnings of his labor.
Mr. Green is a citizen of good standing and influence, and interested in the well-being of the city and its upbuilding. He holds the office of alderman for the Third ward. His family allotments of land have been taken, and consist of four hundred acres near Miami and three hundred acres near Tahlequah. Socially he is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Independent Order of Foresters, Knights of Pythias, and Woodmen of the World, and has passed through the chairs of all these societies, also ha* represented the Knights of Pythias in Grand Lodge.
April 15. 1903, Mr. Green was united in marriage with Mary, daughter of Spencer Shelton, a Cherokee farmer, and a niece of old "Zeke" Proctor, who was a well-known character in the Cherokee Nation until his death in 1906. The latter seems to have been driven to a species of outlawry, and by his daring and bravery escaped capture by the United States marshals, until finally the government treated with him and he returned to the reservation. Mr. and Mrs. Green's children are: Bertha, Harden H., Jr., Marguerite S., and Ima.
CHARLES EDWARD LEWIS
The leading barber and senior partner of the firm of Lewis & Wicker of Checotah, was born in Jerseyville, Illinois, May 26, 1884. He is a son of James Z. and Clory M. (Sandidge) Lewis, natives of Missouri and Illinois. The Lewis family came originally from Germany. The founder of the family in America was the great-grandfather of Charles Edward, who came direct from Germany. The mother's family (Sandidge) came from England and settled in Kansas in 1874, but afterwards moved to Illinois where she and Mr. Lewis were married. After marriage they moved to Missouri and remained there for a short time and then moved to Waverly and afterwards to Springfield, Illinois. Mr. Lewis was a farmer by occupation. He owned a fine farm near the town of Springfield, on which he principally reared his family of four children, namely: William; Abbie M., wife of Albert Morris, of Breckenridge, Illinois; Barney A., of Seymour, Texas; Charles E., of this sketch. Mr. Lewis died in 1905, his wife having preceded him to her long rest in 1898, October 2nd.
Charles E. Lewis was left an orphan at the early age of fourteen and commenced life for himself first as a farm hand for one year. In 1899 came to Checotah, Oklahoma, and was employed on a cow ranch where he worked for some six months; from here he went to Chandler (Old Oklahoma), where he was engaged on the farm until his seventeenth year, when he enlisted in the U. S. army at Ft. Reno, Oklahoma, where he drilled two weeks. From there he was sent to Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas, and was assigned to Company B of the Fourteenth Cavalry, U. S. A. and from there he was transferred to Ft. Riley, Kansas, for nine months, then to Ft. Huachuca, Arizona, remaining there for one year.
From there was ordered to the Philippine Islands with Company B of the Fourteenth Cavalry, sailing on September 5, 1903, and serving in the Island two years and three months. During that time he was stationed at Malabang, Mindanao, and Mr. Lewis' company was engaged in many expeditions, skirmishes and engagements in which he took part personally and in all of which he came out without any accident. But while on a hunting trip with some of the boys of his company, he was accidentally shot, losing the index finger of his right hand. Mr. Lewis served almost a year as a private, but being inclined towards music he was appointed trumpeter of his troop, which position he filled until his discharge April 3rd, 1906. Upon receiving his discharge at Ft. Walla Walla, Washington, he went direct to Springfield, Missouri, remaining there for a short time. He visited his old home at Springfield, Illinois, going from there to Oklahoma City in 1906, and in the same year he came to this city (Checotah) and soon afterwards purchased a barber shop and learned the trade. To-day he and his partner are doing the business of the town, having a shop of four chairs. They also have in connection one of the finest pool rooms to be found in Eastern Oklahoma.
Mr. Lewis was married April 17, 1907, to Miss Ada M. Woolum of Arkansas, a daughter of T. H. and Ada (Baley) Woolum. Mrs. Lewis is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Fraternally Mr. Lewis is a member of A. F. & A. M. Checotah Lodge, and politically he is a Democrat.
WILLIAM X. FLEMING
HE was born in Scott County, Missouri, in 1859, being a son of Robert and Mary (Williams) Fleming, early settlers of Scott County. Robert Fleming was a farmer until he came to the Indian Territory in 1879, settling first in the Chickasaw Nation, where he leased land. He raised considerable stock and became prosperous. In 1890 he moved to what is now the Choctaw Nation and settled near where the town of Kinta now stands. He lived in the Choctaw Nation several years, having only two or three white neighbors, and they were four to six miles away. He died about 1896. He was from southeastern Missouri and served a short time in the militia of that vicinity. Mr. Fleming never took an active part in political or public affairs, either before coming to the Indian Territory or afterward. His widow survived him a few years and passed away about 1905. Of their six children only two reached maturity; William X. and Alice G., wife of L. Fullenwider, of Sealey, Texas.
At an early age William X. Fleming began to assist with the work on the farm and he received but a limited education. He was interested in the stock business from boyhood and after reaching manhood followed this industry in connection with his father. For many years they prospered well in this enterprise, but as the country came to be more thickly settled and farming was more extensively carried on, (his father in the meantime having died), he abandoned the business and paid close attention to his farming.
Mr. Fleming married Miss Susan McKinney, a quarter Creek lady, daughter of J. D. and Susan McKinney, both half-blood Creeks. Mr. and Mrs. Fleming had four children, namely: Dewitt G., Helen C, Walter B. and Hortense. In national elections Mr. Fleming supported the Republican party, but in state and local affairs he voted rather for the man than for the party. He was highly esteemed in the community and well known, having been a type of the better class of citizens of Oklahoma, and had a large circle of friends.
He is prominently known throughout this part of Oklahoma as a contractor and builder of Guthrie and Stillwater, as well as a brick maker. He came to this state in 1904, first locating at Fort Cobb, then at Oklahoma City, and for some time has resided in Guthrie. He was born in St. Joseph, Missouri, a son of Fred Muehleisen, an early pioneer of St. Joseph, who was born, however, in Germany, but emigrated from there when a young man to the United States, and for many years he has been engaged in mining in the Black Hills, where he is located at the present time. He served four years in the United States army, from 1861 to 1865, and took part in many of the hard fought battles of the Civil war. although he escaped unhurt. His wife was, before marriage, Mary Lang, also from Germany, from whence she came from Berlin to the United States. They were married in St. Joseph, Missouri, and fourteen children were born to them there and eight yet reside in that city.
Herman Muehleisen, the next to the youngest in that large family, was educated in the public schools of St. Joseph, but prior to entering the high school he put aside his books and learned his trade of bricklaying, in which he proved very successful, and he is now numbered among the leaders of his line of work in this section of Oklahoma. At the present time he is assisting in the erection of two new buildings for the A. and M. College at Stillwater, and several of the fine business houses and residences in Oklahoma City and in various other portions of the state stand as monuments to his splendid ability.
He married in 1902 Miss Ida M. Walters, also of St. Joseph, a daughter of William Walters, one of the early residents of that city. Of the six children born to Mr. Walters by his first wife Mrs. Muehleisen was the second born. Her mother died in 1891, and her father subsequently again married, and he yet resides in St. Joseph. To the second union were born three children. Mr. and Mrs. Muehleisen have three children, Thelma A., Herman, Jr. and Ira M. The family are members of the Christian church, and Mr. Muehleisen affiliates with the Republican party.
CHARLES S. SMITH
One of the oldest living citizens of Eufaula, Oklahoma, is Charles S. Smith, who was born in the Creek Nation, ten miles southwest of Eufaula, in 1849. lie is a son of John G. and Lucinda Smith, the former one-quarter Creek and the latter full Creek. The mother's maiden name was Yarger. Both came with their parents from Alabama, in 1836. Charles Smith's grandfather, Samuel Smith, was half Creek and his wife was a white woman, Eliza Fryer. His father a white man, who married a full blood Creek woman, was of English parentage. John G. Smith's wife had no mixed blood in her veins. Her great-grandfather was known as Tustnaclonugie, meaning a big warrior, he was a chief of the Creeks, He was friendly to the whites and was not a participator in the last Creek war. His son, Captain Yarger. had charge of the Creeks when they left Alabama and held the honorary title of captain. He was a second chief in the Indian Territory, a position somewhat similar to the present office of lieutenant Governor. His son, the father of Charles S Smith, was a minister of the Baptist church. also a trader and a merchant. He carried on his trading in 1848 at his farm near Eufaula, and was also engaged by the government as interpreter, besides working in this capacity for private parties. About 1859-60 he was a delegate to Washington, also served his people in the council and was the treasurer of the nation, before they had a written constitution. After the adoption of their constitution he was the first elected as supreme judge of the Creeks. He also served as representative of the Creek Nation in the treaty of peace signed by the United States government and the Creeks at Fort Smith. In fact, Mr. Smith filled nearly all the important offices in the Creek Nation. He was highly respected by both the Indians and the whites, and was a man of superior intelligence and education. He died in 1870, leaving a widow and six children, namely: Charles S.; John F., deceased, whose family reside in Dustin; Eliza, deceased, wife of R. D. Burton, a white man and a native of Mississippi; Nathaniel, deceased; Elizabeth, wife of John N. Rhyme, of Eufaula; Louis, deceased, whose family live in McIntosh County.
Charles S. Smith was educated at Canehill, Arkansas, although he had attended school prior to this. His father died while he was attending college and his education was thus interrupted. At the time he began working on his own account there were few white men in the vicinity. Although Mr. Smith is five-sixths Creek, one would easily suppose he was full white. On both maternal and paternal sides he is descended from leaders in the Creek Nation, in the Indian Territory as well as in other states before they came to the Nation.
Mr. Smith has devoted most of his life to farming and stock-raising, although since the advent of statehood he has carried on his farm in a different way than before. He has now only 320 acres, the allotments made to him and his wife, and about 160 of this is under cultivation. He has a handsome home on the edge of Eufaula, fitted with modern comforts and conveniences. He has equipments of modern machinery and is an enterprising, progressive farmer. Mr. Smith filled the office of clerk of the House of Warriors eight years under the Creek government, and eight years as creditor of the Nation. He also served two terms as judge of the supreme court. He was also a member of the Council of the House of Warriors. He also served as a member of the board of education. Since the advent of statehood he has taken no active part in public affairs, but has rather turned his attention to the successful conduct of his farm and other business affairs.
In 1872 Mr. Smith married Miss Louisa Grayson, daughter of James and Jane (Winn) Grayson, among the earliest settlers of the Creek Nation from Georgia. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have four children, viz.: Ada, widow of Dr. A. W. Brown, has three children, Athlina, Claude and Eva May; Jay D., at home; Horace G., of Eufaula; and Lucile.
Mr. Smith is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Eufaula, Lodge No. 31, and politically is a Democrat.
JOSEPH G. SCHOFIELD
He came from old English and Colonial ancestry on his father's side and from Scotch-Irish on his mother's side. The Schofield family in America are descended from Dutch ancestors, the head of the English line having come to England with William of Orange, he being one of the officers who came from the native land to assist and support the claims of William and Anne to the English throne. The Schofields in England became manufacturers and the grandfather of the subject of this sketch emigrated from York, England, about the beginning of the preceding century and settled at Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in woolen manufacturing and set up and operated the first spinning jenny ever erected west of the Susquehannah River. Here he married Elizabeth Brown, whose father was a merchant and served with the Colonial troops in the War of the Revolution. In 1828, this couple, with their family, removed to the then far West, and settled in what was then Morgan County (now Noble County), Ohio, near Olive, said to be the second oldest town in that state. He purchased a farm and woolen and grain mill, for carding and spinning wool and grinding corn, the motive power being animal, and the Schofield Horse Mill became widely known and liberally patronized until supplanted by the water mill erected, some years afterward, on the nearby stream. Here they reared their family and here the father died in 1856, leaving a widow, who died in 1870, and the surviving children of this union. They were: Mary, married John Eagler; Martha, married O. T. Koch; Lydia, married Johnson Jones; William, father of Judge F. L. Schofield. of Hannibal, Missouri; Nancy, married Hamilton Wiley; Joseph C.; James B.; Frances, and David H., all of whom are now dead.
Joseph C. Schofield, father of the subject of this sketch, followed in the business of his father in early manhood, and engaged in woolen manufacturing at Lowell, Ohio. Upon the organization of Noble County, he was selected as the first sheriff of the new county, and afterward twice elected, serving until 1857. Upon the expiration of his terms he engaged in newspaper work until the beginning of the Civil war. When the first call was made for troops he organized a company of Three Months Volunteers in Noble County, and was elected captain of the company, but the quota from Ohio had been already filled and his company was not accepted. He afterward enlisted in Company K, Thirtieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as a private and served in West Virginia until that part of the army was transferred south to participate in the siege of Vicksburg. He died in the service at Youngs Point, Louisiana, February 17, 1863, and his remains were brought to his home by the Masons and Odd Fellows fraternities, of which he was an active member. He had been buried on the levee a short time, but the lodges to which he belonged had his body removed to his home and re-interred in the Olive cemetery among the remains of his family who had preceded him in the journey to the Great Beyond.
Joseph C. Schofield was twice married. His first wife was Anna Miller. Her father was a native of Ireland, born near Belfast, of Scotch parentage, and immigrated to the United States in 1812. He first settled in New Jersey, but shortly afterward removed to Ohio, where he met and married Mary Reed, who was also a native of Ireland, born of Scotch parentage near Belfast, and came with her parents to this country. By this first marriage Joseph C. was the father of three children: William, born September 22, 1843; James T., who lost his life at Vicksburg in the Civil war, born September 22, 1845; and Joseph G., subject of this sketch, born September 22, 1847. His first wife died March 21, 1849, and some years later he married Ruth Dudley, who died in 1909. By this marriage he had five children: Lydia, wife of David Hutchins, Caldwell, Ohio; Anna and Mary, deceased; Martha, wife of Orrin Hutchins; and William C., of Caldwell, Ohio.
The early days of Joseph G. Schofield were spent in his native county, and he received his education in the common schools of Ohio, the Caldwell Normal School and the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio. He taught school for several years both in Ohio and in Kansas; was superintendent of the schools at Belpre and at Caldwell, and was principal of the Caldwell Normal School for several years; he was afterward superintendent of city schools at Seneca, Kansas. He served on the State Board of Public Instruction in Kansas during Governor Morrill's administration and was for over four years county superintendent of public instruction of Nemaha County, Kansas. He possesses a life certificate to teach in any school in Ohio, and among the positions of honor he has held in educational lines was vice president of the Department of Superintendents of the National Educational Association. He studied law under the old firm of Spriggs & Foreman, and was admitted while in their office. Afterward he was admitted to the bar at Seneca, Kansas, where he established himself in his profession; he remained in Kansas until 1903. during which time he acquired a good reputation and met with success. In 1903 he removed to the Indian Territory, locating at Checotah, where he has since resided. He first came as United States Commissioner of Courts, a position he filled until statehood, and since then has devoted his time to the practice of his profession. He stands well in the community and is recognized as a lawyer of ability. Politically, Mr. Schofield is a Republican, and takes an active interest in public affairs. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, being affiliated with Checotah Lodge No. 86; Checotah Chapter No. 49, of which he has been the high priest since the organization of the Chapter; Seneca Commandery No. 41, Seneca, Kansas, and Abdallah Shrine, Leavenworth, Kansas; he is also a member of Checotah Chapter, Eastern Star, and Checotah Camp, M. W. A.
Mr. Schofield married Anna, daughter of James and Martha (Toler) Miller, natives of Ohio and Virginia, both old Colonial families, well known in Ohio. Mr. Miller and wife had only two children, Anna, Mrs. Schofield, and Jennie, deceased, who married Edward Marquis, of Sharon, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Schofield have two children now living, Cara L. and Ethel M., both graduates of Seneca (Kansas) High School and successful teachers of schools in this state.
GEORGE W. MANN, M.D.
The oldest physician of Eufaula in point of practice, is Dr. George W. Mann, who was born in Callaway County, Missouri. He was educated in the Kirksville Normal and graduated from the State University of Colorado. At the age of twenty-five years he entered the Missouri Medical college, from which he graduated with the class of 1890, coming to his present location immediately after his graduation. At the time Dr. Mann located in the county there were three other physicians in the surrounding country, which was given up to stock-raising and considered as being on the frontier. Stock-raising was then extensively carried on and there was but little land under cultivation.
The practice of Dr. Mann in the beginning covered a radius of some seventy miles in all directions. During his professional career he has encountered most of the so called "bad men" of the community. The most desperate character he ever treated was at Tulsa, when he administered remedies to Gube Childress, a full blood Creek, who was wounded while trying to commit a murder. He had committed many murders and was injured while trying to kill Ferryman, who afterward killed him. The last victim before his own demise was a woman. For some time Dr. Mann served as railway surgeon of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway Co. He is well known throughout the part of the state where he resides and was well acquainted with some of the old prominent families, among them being the McIntosh and Steadham families, both of Indian blood.
Dr. Mann is highly respected and has won the confidence of all with whom he has come in contact. He is a member of the Insanity Board of the county and is physician of the jail. At the time of the Crazy Snake uprising, in 1908, he was the surgeon in charge of the troops which were sent by the United States government to quell the disturbance. He is probably better known throughout the state as a whole than any other physician, and belongs to several medical societies, namely: State Medical and American Medical societies, the Medical Society of the Southwest and McIntosh County Medical Society. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and is past master of Eufaula Lodge Xo. 1. He has taken thirty-two degrees in the order, being affiliated with Consistory No. 2, of McAlester. He is also a member of Eufaula Lodge No. 31, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Dr. Mann has been twice married, first, in 1892, to Miss Hattie Ballord, and two children were born of this union: George W., Jr. and Elizabeth B. He married (second) in July, 1908, Mrs. Luln Bungale, of Eufaula.
The father of Dr. Mann, John Duvall Mann, married Elizabeth Newland and they came from Kentucky to Missouri before their marriage and reared their family near Fulton, Missouri. He was born in 179B and served in the War of 1812. In 1833 he located in Callaway County, Missouri, being among the pioneer families of that portion of Missouri. He died in 1881 and his wife in 1865. They were farmers and reared three children, as follows: Samuel A., who lives near McCredie, Missouri, George W., M.D., and George G.
COL. A. D. ORCUTT
A founder of the New Oklahoma; a hearty, able pioneer of the old territory; a father of growing towns, as well as of mature and useful men and women; an active Republican, and an honored, albeit, unwilling, legislator of the infant commonwealth - Colonel Orcutt is now a resident of Coweta, southeast of Tulsa, Wagoner County, where he is chiefly employed in the care and development of his important land interests in that locality. He is of the genial, progressive Kentucky typo, his birthplace being Vanceburg, Lewis County, the ancestral home of the Orcutts, and the date, August 17, 1846. The colonel is a son of Dr. A. C. and Mary (Crull) Orcutt, the former being a native of New York and the latter of Scioto County, Ohio. About 1857 they removed to Doniphan County, Kansas, and, after residing there for a short time located, with their family, in Coles County, Illinois, in the early seventies, settling at Oakland, Marion County, Arkansas.
These migrations of the Orcutt family determined the localities which were the scenes of the son's education. At the outbreak of the Civil war, Colonel Orcutt enlisted in the Second Nebraska Cavalry for service against the Indians who were then threatening the western frontiers. He participated in the battle of White Stone Hill. Wyoming, and later enlisted from Illinois with the Eighteenth Regiment of that state, winning distinguished honors and promotion to the rank of captaincy. Colonel Orcutt is considered an able campaign speaker and one of the best organizers in the Republican party in the Third Congressional Distinct.
In 1873, Colonel Orcutt and his family located at Coffeyville, Kansas, but in the spring of the following year they started for the country of the Creek Nation, in old Indian Territory. On the 19th of June, 1874. they arrived at what is now the site of the city of Tulsa, establishing their home on a ranch six miles south of that location. This vicinity has been the home of the Orcutts ever since, making them one of the oldest white families in this section of Oklahoma. Colonel Orcutt established a large stock ranch and also engaged in general merchandise in the early days, hauling all his goods from Coffeyville. With the advent of new settlers and the probable establishment of a new town, he also suggested the name which was finally adopted--Tulsa being given it in honor of an old and honored Indian family of that name. Colonel Orcutt hauled the supplies for the civil engineer and staff who laid out the route of the old Atlantic & Pacific Railroad (now the Frisco System) from Vinita to Tulsa and Red Fork, and, with the assistance of the engineer mentioned, made the survey of the first street in the town of Tulsa. Later, under the firm name of A. D. Orcutt & Company, he established the first exclusive implement and hardware store in the place, and conducted a growing and profitable business for many years. His cattle interests also increased; until he was classed as among the largest dealers in the territory, it being his custom, in the earlier years of his activity; to bring large herds from Texas, pasture them on Oklahoma lands and ship them to the northern markets.
In 1899, prior to the building of the Midland Valley Railroad, Colonel Orcutt founded the town of Coweta, and since it became a station on the line, centered also in a rich agricultural region, it has been continuously progressing as an enterprising and thriving little city. This has since been his residence town, where, in a large and modern residence he is leading a comfortable and honored life, engaged in the care of his broad acres and in the dispensing of a broad hospitality and benevolence which is so characteristic of a true Kentuckian. Although he has never sought political advancement, and was even opposed to being nominated for membership in the first state legislature, his numerous friends of the Republican party insisted upon his making the canvass, with the result that he was one of only eighteen Republicans who was sent to Guthrie to participate in the historic session of the new commonwealth. Although his duties were performed with entire satisfaction to his constituents, who tendered him a re-nomination, the colonel absolutely refused to continue his career as a state legislator. It is quite natural, however, that he should be an active participant in fraternal and social life.. He was one of the organizers and a charter member of the Lucius Fairchild Post, G. A. R., of Tulsa, and is also identified with the Masonic fraternity and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Colonel Orcutt's first wife was Mary Jock, a native of Holt County, Missouri, where they were married. She died at the age of thirty-three years, the mother of the following six children: Augustus; Nettie, who married George Marshall, died at the age of twenty-four and left one child, Violet; Katie, who died at the age of eight; Garfield, who served in the Philippines during the Spanish American war and is now a soldier in the regular army; Daisy, now the wife of Frank Gregory, a resident of Tulsa; and Josie, who died in infancy. In 1886, Colonel Orcutt wedded as his second wife, Miss Addie Hodge, daughter of Judge Alvin T. Hodge, of Tulsa. Her father is Scotch extraction and her mother of Cherokee blood. Mrs. Orcutt has enjoyed thorough educational advantages and is a cultured lady. She is the mother of nine living children, and as each has an allotment of land, under the law, the Orcutt estate consists of some fourteen hundred acres of valuable land. The children of whom Colonel and Mrs. Orcutt have become parents are as follows: Anna, now Mrs. Bedford Godwin, of Tulsa; Alvin Hodge, Elem Blaine, David M., Ollie and Christina, living home; William McKinley, who died when five years of age, Guy B. and Pearl, also at home, one who died unnamed, and Dennis Flinn, the youngest, who lives with his parents.
HARRY MCQUOWN, M.D
Both as a physician and surgeon Dr. Harry McQuown has won distinction in Lincoln County, where he has practiced in Fallis since 1904, and though but a few years have passed since he became a permanent resident of this community he enjoys an extensive and remunerative practice. He is progressive in all his methods, constantly reading and studying, and keeps in close touch with the spirit of the times.
Dr. McQuown was born in Hill County, Texas, in 1874, his family having moved to that state from Kentucky two years previously, in 1872. His father, the Rev. H. C. McQuown, is now living in Fort Worth, Texas. Dr. McQuown was reared both in Texas and in Parkville, Missouri, attending the Park College at the latter place. From there he entered the Fort Worth Medical College, in which he was graduated with the class of 1901, and from that year until his removal to Fallis he was in practice at Walter, Oklahoma.
At the age of twenty-five years Dr. McQuown was married in Fort Worth, Texas, to Lulu Johnson, a graduate of the high school there, and they have three children, Mattie, Lottie and Roy B. The Doctor's political affiliations are with the Democratic party, and both he and his wife are church members. He is now in the prime of life, a finely educated and successful physician and surgeon. Genial in manner, the soul of honesty in his professional and business life, he has won and retained many friends, and is one of Fallis' best known and most valued citizens.
MRS. SARAH WHISTLER
Government Indian interpreter at the Sac and Fox Agency, was appointed to this position in 1907, but during a number of years previously she had been in the government employ as a teacher in the Indian school here, and her ability and fitness for leadership there led to her present important position. She is numbered among the Oklahoma pioneers of 1884, and is a native daughter of Towa. Her father, John Goodell, was born in Connecticut, but was reared in the state of New York, and although a white man he in time became thoroughly familiar with the language, manner and customs of the Indians and served as a government interpreter in Iowa and Kansas for a number of years. His wife to whom he was married in Burlington. Iowa, in 1840, was of French and Indian blood, and previous to her marriage to Mr. Goodell her name was Mrs. Julia Mitchell, she having married an Indian trader. She is spoken in the history of the Black Hawk war as the woman, who in 1832 swam the Mississippi river with her babe on her back. This daughter is now Mary Keokuk, the widow of Chief Keokuk, a woman hale and hearty at the age of seventy-eight years and a resident of this village. She was born in Wisconsin in 1828, on the Skunk river. She was adopted by Dr. Moore, a surgeon in the U. S. Army, and was educated in Philadelphia. Chief Keokuk died at the agency here at the age of eighty-eight years. Mrs. Goodell also died at the government agency here at the age of seventy-five years.
In her early life Mrs. Whistler received an excellent educational training in the mission school at Westport, Missouri, and when but fifteen years of age she gave her hand in marriage to William Whistler, who was born at the historic old Fort Dearborn in Illinois. When a lad of thirteen he came to Kansas and in time became one of the most prominent men of the state in those days. He served the commonwealth as a legislator and later was a candidate for state senator, but death cut short his life so full of richness and bright promises in its early prime. He was but thirty-eight years at his death, and he left three children, two of whom are living, Mrs. Gertrude Kirtley, residing east of Gushing, Oklahoma, and Leo Whistler, of the Sac and Fox Agency. Mrs. Whistler is a woman of unusual business and executive ability, her advice being often sought and freely given, and being courteous and pleading in her manner she has won many friends in Oklahoma.
HE IS one of the oldest white settlers of McIntosh County, has lived a life of venture and daring, his career on the extreme border of civilization having been full of action and thrilling experiences. For the past few years he has devoted his time and attention to the peaceful vocations of life, being employed principally in agricultural pursuits on his well-kept farm in Checotah. He was born, January 24, 1859, in northern Alabama, a son of Thomas Baker. A native of North Carolina, Thomas Baker moved when young to Georgia, and about 1831 married, in Atlanta, Polly Long, a native of Georgia, and immediately located in the northern part of Alabama, settling there just before the removal of the Creek and Cherokee Indians to the Indian Territory. He enlisted during the Civil war in an Alabama regiment, and served in the Union army in many engagements of importance, including the siege of Vicksburg, the battle of Shiloh, the battle at Cumberland, where his brother was killed, and in various other engagements in different parts of the country. At the close of the war he was appointed guardian of the widows and orphans of Winston County, Alabama, for the families of the United States soldiers. His wife died in 1892, and in 1898 he came to Oklahoma, and spent the remainder of his life with his son Sam, dying in 1898, aged eighty years. He reared a family of eleven children, as follows: William, who died in Alabama, where his family now lives; Ruth C., deceased; John W.. who died in Alabama; Sam, the subject of this sketch: Alonzo, deceased; Mary J., wife of W. Bordon of Oklahoma; Clementine, wife of John Turner; Calvin, deceased; Benjamin F. of Oklahoma; David, deceased; and Rosalie, wife of Henry Shuts, of Oklahoma.
Sam Baker received a limited education in the schools of Alabama, which, just after the war were in a rather demoralized condition, and he remained in his native state until 1879. Coming then to the Indian Territory, he remained there a year or more, and then located in what is now McIntosh County. Oklahoma, but was then the Creek Nation. The population at that time was almost entirely negroes, there being very few white people here. Roughs and desperadoes of all kinds were frequently seen, especially the James and Younger Brothers, who made this part of the country a resting place, although they never seriously interfered with the people hereabout. The Dalton gang likewise came here occasionally for seclusion, and Mr. Baker had a personal acquaintance with some of the most desperate characters of the country. He was at South West City when, in 1894, the Dalton gang robbed the bank. He saw Dynamite Dick's horse shot from under him, and saw the said Dick mount behind one of the Dalton boys, and after he was mounted saw him shoot the exsheriff of the county, afterwards riding out of town with the gang. On one occasion Mr. Baker was lined up at the town of Checotah by Bill Cook and Cherokee Bill while they robbed Lafayette Brothers general store, and, as he says, he walked the line without even once thinking of leaving or trying to break away.
For many years Mr. Baker served as United States marshal, and was with other marshals when the Buck gang, consisting of five men, were captured, all of whom were afterwards hanged at Fort Smith, Arkansas. He has captured many desperadoes, and arrested the first two Snake Indians found breaking the United States laws, to which they very unwillingly submitted. Crazy Snake, chief of the tribe at that time, is the same Snake who caused the uprising in 1907. Mr. Baker has, without doubt, captured and placed in jail more men than any other marshal in the country. He has been shot at various times, twice through the body, first with an old Colt's cap and ball, and later with a forty-five, the ball passing through his body one and one-fourth inches from his heart, the other thirteen times being wounded with smaller guns. The last time that he was shot he and his wife were riding in the evening. While passing the spot at which the Indians were having a stamp dance a man came out from the bushes and fired, shooting him in the shoulder, while Mrs. Baker received a shot in the muscle of her right arm. After getting his wife out of the buggy, Mr. Baker attended to his man. In 1898 the gang of Mose Miller, a Cherokee, had planned to rob the First National Bank of Checotah, and a posse of marshals and citizens, under command of Mr. Baker, overtook them about daylight and surrounded the house in which it was thought the gang had found refuge. Soon the pursued men opened fire on those surrounding the house, but, although in an exposed position, Mr. Baker and his posse captured all of the robbers with the exception of one that was killed and one that was wounded, capturing five men. The one that escaped was Henry Starr. Of the posse with Mr. Baker, one man, Mr. Turk, of Checotah, received a bullet in his suspenders. For the past seven years Mr. Baker has been essentially a home man, devoting his time and attention to his extensive farming interest his home in Checotah being attractive and pleasant.
Mr. Baker married first, in 1879, in Alabama, Fannie Brooks, a daughter of Willis and Jane (Bates) Brooks, and to them ten children were born, namely: Emma J., wife of Linn Grady; Columbus; Charles H.; Bill M.; Ella, wife of Emory Hughes; Dora, wife of Roy Freeman; Ruth, deceased; Agnes, living at home; Hattie, deceased; and Homer, deceased. Mr. Baker married for his second wife Ella Blanche Freeman, who was born in Louisiana, a daughter of Floyd C. and Josephine (Howell) Freeman, who reared eight of their family of thirteen children, as follows: Roy; Floy and Emma, twins; Ella B., wife of Mr. Baker; Theodore; Carlyle; and Lyn and Bessie, twins. Mr. and Mrs. Baker have three children, Eula B., Teddie and Beulah. Politically Mr. Baker is a stanch supporter of the principles of the Republican party, and in both national and local issues does his duty at the polls as a loyal and trustworthy citizen.
Back to Page 32
Back to Biographies