The History of Oklahoma Biographies Vol. II
by Luther B. Hill
FRANK A. BEEBE
The first commercial orchard in Oklahoma was planted by Frank A. Beebe, who is still, notwithstanding the immense development of horticulture during the last few years, accounted the largest individual fruit grower and shipper in Oklahoma. Mr. Beebe first became identified with Oklahoma in 1892 in his capacity as post office inspector, and while still performing the duties of this office he bought and established, in 1894, a fruit farm in Oklahoma County, seventeen miles east of Oklahoma City. Fruit had been raised in Oklahoma by individual settlers before, as a matter of course, but it is asserted without contradiction that this was the first important venture in commercial fruit raising. Having embarked in the business after a thorough consideration of its possibilities, and having continued it with increasing energy and success, Mr. Beebe deserves the prominence he has attained as the pioneer horticulturist of Oklahoma.
It is interesting to know that when he established his original fruit farm, he located it in what was almost a wilderness, since the nearest railroad was at Oklahoma City, and he must have had great confidence in the future development of the country to foresee a time when he should have facilities for shipping his product. He was led to locate his farm where he did because he believed the land there to be the best adapted for the raising of fruit, and with that condition fulfilled he expected that the transportation and market would come to him. The "Beebe Fruit Farm," as it is known pretty well throughout the state, lies within what is known as the big bend of the Canadian river, which forms there a natural situation of advantage as regards soil, moisture, frost conditions, etc., and constitutes an ideal section of country for fruit, demonstrating Mr. Beebe's early judgment of it. During the earlier years of this industry, several varieties of fruit were raised, including apples, peaches and plums, but in recent years the farm has become best known through its large production of apples. Seventy acres of the farm, which altogether contains one hundred and sixty acres, is devoted to raising Jonathan apples, and the Beebe apple orchard is without doubt the largest in the state. As a matter for comparison, it may be stated that Mr. Beebe in 1902 shipped one third of all the carload shipments of fruit that left Oklahoma, and in the following year shipped one fifth of the product of the territory. In 1898, four years after he set out his first orchard, the Frisco Railroad, from Oklahoma City to Sapulpa, was completed. The road skirted the Beebe fruit farm, and at this point was established the town of Jones, now a prosperous village in the center of a rich agricultural and horticultural region. The railroad gave the best of shipping facilities, and Mr. Beebe is the largest shipper from Jones Station.
One of the prime movers in the formation of the Oklahoma Fruit Growers Association, Mr. Beebe is still a member and very active in promoting the prosperity of the fruit-growing interests and in procuring favorable shipping and market facilities. His business interests have been most successful, and he has acquired large real estate interests in Oklahoma County.
Mr. Beebe was born in Cooper County, Missouri, in 1860 and was reared on a farm, receiving his education at Aurora, Illinois, and in the Northwestern University at Evanston, Illinois. Coming out of college in 1878, in the following year he was appointed to a place in the postal service, and for twenty-four years was continuously identified with that department, until his retirement to devote himself to his expanding private business. During this time he occupied various positions of responsibility; for four years he had charge of the transportation of the mails at St. Louis, and loaded the first "fast mail" that went out from that city. Later he was appointed inspector, and while discharging the duties of this position he first came to Oklahoma. Mr. Beebe is a Republican, and was a candidate for delegate to the constitutional convention in 1006. But notwithstanding the fact that he lacked but eighty votes of receiving a majority vote of the votes cast for his three competitors, he was counted out on a technicality involving failure of the clerks of election to indorse the ballots. Mr. Beebe married Stella Mitchell who is now cashier of the Bank of Jones. They have two children, Louise and Frances Elberta.
REV. JOHN T. RILEY, D. D.
The presiding elder of the Oklahoma City district of the Methodist church is Rev. John T. Riley, D. D., who has been identified with the work of the Methodist church in Oklahoma since 1894.
A preacher of force and eloquence, a scholar versed in the humanities as well as in theology, a man of genial and attractive nature, broad-minded and of great personal popularity and influence, he has served effectively in the work of church construction and organization almost from the first years of Methodism in Oklahoma. For two years he was pastor of the First M. E. church at Oklahoma City, in 1896 was chosen presiding elder of the East district, and since 1901 has been presiding elder of the Oklahoma City district. At Edmond, in Oklahoma County, he built the Riley Memorial church in honor of his mother, and in numerous other ways has served the cause of his church. His home for many years has been in Oklahoma City, where he has built a beautiful residence at 720 West Fifteenth Street.
Dr. Riley was born at Waynesburg, Greene County, Pennsylvania, in 1843. When he was six months old his father died, and at the age of nine years he lost his mother, so that he was compelled to depend upon his own efforts to gain independence in life. He educated himself, by working his way through college. In May, 1861, when a boy of eighteen, he enlisted at Washington, Pennsylvania, in Company K, Sixteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and for three years served with the Army of the Potomac in Virginia. He served in the Rappahanock campaigns, and was a participant in such noted battles as Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, and others. After the war he entered Allegheny College, at Meadville, Pennsylvania, and was graduated in the class of 1868 with the degree of A. B. Three years later his advancement was recognized by conferring upon him the degree of A. M., and in 1896 he received the degree of D. D. from the Iowa Wesleyan University. Having pursued his theological courses while in college, he was admitted a minister to the Pittsburg Pennsylvania conference in 1868, and was assigned to Stoystown and Hopewell, in Somerset County, as his first charge. For twenty-seven years he was one of the prominent ministers of Pittsburg, being pastor successively of the Braddock, Bingham Street, the Fifth and Avenue churches of that city. As the results of his successful ministry he counted over four thousand persons who had been converted and become members of his churches. He is still remembered in Pittsburg as one of its most efficient and successful ministers. He was married in Pittsburg to Miss Elizabeth F. Challinor, of a prominent family of that city. They have a daughter, Ruth.
HE IS of Oklahoma City, a pioneer of '89, was the first territorial treasurer, appointed by Governor Steele in 1891, and by reappointment served under the succeeding Governor Seay and for ten months during the administration of Governor Renfrow, until he resigned from the office. In Republican politics and public affairs generally, Mr. Murphy is one of the most prominent men of Oklahoma. Coming to the territory on the opening day, April 22, 1889, he bought a quarter section adjoining the townsite of Oklahoma City, and as soon as the city had become settled as a business community he took up the practice of law. He was offered the Republican nomination for member of the first territorial legislature in 1890, but declined to run.
In Oklahoma City his best known public service was as postmaster, having been appointed to that office in July, 1898, by President McKinley, and serving a little more than four years. In the recent election for the members of the first state legislature, Mr. Murphy was Republican candidate for senator from the district comprising Oklahoma and Canadian counties, but was unsuccessful against the heavy Democratic majority of the district. Mr. Murphy is now retired from the practice of law, but is an influential citizen of his city and state.
As a stalwart Republican, Mr. Murphy has been so unfortunate as to pass most of his active career in Democratic states, and has not participated so actively in official affairs as he would if he had lived in other states. He was born at Kingston, Madison County, Arkansas, January 31, 1845, a son of John and Perlenta (Davis) Murphy. His great-grandfather, a native of Ireland, settled in South Carolina and from that colony volunteered and fought as a soldier in the Revolution. The grandfather, John Murphy, a native of South Carolina, became a planter in Tennessee, and was a soldier in the war of 1812. The father, whose name was also John Murphy, was born at Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and as a representative of the third generation of the family in America moved the family home still further west, beyond the Mississippi, he being one of the pioneer settlers of Madison County, Arkansas, near Kingston. He married Miss Perlenta Davis, a native of Tennessee and of Welsh ancestry. The Murphy family, though living in the south for several generations, was strongly opposed to slavery, and in the Civil war five sons of this John Murphy joined the Union army - namely, Isaac, John, Vincent W., Samuel and Alexander.
Samuel Murphy enlisted in 1863, at the age of eighteen, in Company A, Second Arkansas Cavalry. In Arkansas he saw service at Cheatham's Farm, Jasper, Mudtown, Fayetteville and Richland, and also east of the Mississippi. Toward the close of the war he was detached for service as clerk in Brigadier General Phelp's headquarters. He was mustered out at LaGrange in August, 1865. Directly after the war he lived in Springfield and Osceola, Missouri, and for a time conducted a ferry on the Osage River. His education had been interrupted by the war, and for the purpose of completing it he went to Golconda, Illinois, where he attended school a few months, and then entered Ewing College in Franklin County, Illinois. For about two years he was engaged in teaching school in Missouri and in Arkansas, and in 1870 became an instructor in Flowermont Academy, in Denton county, Texas, where he was also principal one year. Returning to Arkansas, he studied law a year, and in 1874 was admitted to the bar at Harrison, where he was engaged in practice until 1876. He concluded his education and professional preparation by a senior course in the law department of the University of Michigan, where he graduated with the degree of LL. B. in 1877. At Harrison, Arkansas, he was successfully engaged in practice until 1889, excepting a period as postmaster and internal revenue collector at Eureka Springs. His political prominence first came into note in 1876, when he refused the Republican nomination for Congress from the fourth Arkansas district. He refused because he desired to continue his law studies, but when the same opportunity came round again in 1880 he accepted the nomination and succeeded so far as to reduce the regular Democratic majority by a large number of votes. In Cass County, Missouri, Mr. Murphy married Miss Delilah Floyd, who died in Arkansas, leaving one child, Anna, who is the wife of Henry Overholser of Oklahoma City. At Ann Arbor, Michigan, Mr. Murphy married for his present wife Miss Louise Berry, a native of York, England. They have four children: Mrs. Pearl Griffith, Paul, Clyde and Hazel.
MARK H. KESLER
On July 15, 1903, Mark H. Kesler was appointed chief of the fire department. Mr. Kesler is one of the country's famous fire fighters, and his energetic administration during the past four years is a record of many improvements in the efficiency and equipment of the department. When he took charge, the two stations, the central and the Maywood, had a force of ten men, including the chief. Station No. 1 now has fourteen men, and there are four at station No. 2, and four at No. 3 - all paid firemen and brought up to the highest point of efficiency and discipline. Almost from the first hour of his appointment Chief Kesler has been persistent in his efforts with the city council for the passage of ordinances providing increased fire protection. The equipment he has added to the department, with the approval of the city council, is all of the most modern type and of the finest material and workmanship. The equipment at station No. 1 consists of a 65foot aerial hook and ladder truck, manned by four men; a combination chemical and hose wagon with rubber tires and roller bearing axles, manned by five men and the assistant chief; one-third size Ahrens engine, three men making its crew; and one second-size Amoskeag steamer in reserve. At each of the other stations are a hose wagon and a four-man company. During this administration another great improvement has been the installation throughout the city of the Gamewell fire alarm system of the latest type, which cost $9,000.
The appointment of Mr. Kesler as chief of the department came about as a result of the general admiration for his work during the well remembered Oklahoma City fires when the Lion store was burned and, a little later, the conflagration near the Lee Hotel. At that time he was chief of the Guthrie department and brought a company of firemen to help out the Oklahoma City department. Mr. Kesler became connected with the Guthrie department in October, 1900, and in the following year was made its chief. Both in Guthrie and Oklahoma City his work had results that call for historical mention. Believing that a fire department should be composed only of men who are (or are willing to be) well trained and competent, and that local politics should in no way affect the personnel of the department or its conduct, he prepared, while chief at Guthrie, a statute embracing these ideas and placing the paid fire departments of the territory entirely on the merit system.
His measure was passed by the territorial legislature and became a law, and recently Mr. Kesler has the added satisfaction of seeing his beliefs incorporated in the new state constitution. Since the fire department is one of the principal divisions of the municipal government, it is evident that this law, so ably advocated by Chief Kesler, is one of the most important affecting the municipal welfare of Oklahoma cities.
Service as a fire-fighter constitutes Mr. Kcsler's active career. The fire departments in American cities comprise a larger force than the standing army and are of far greater importance to the security and welfare of the nation. Among these "soldiers of peace" the present chief of the Oklahoma City department has a record that entitles him to rank among the foremost. Born in Andrew County, Missouri, November 5, 1867, he was reared, from the age of seven months, in Kansas City, and attended school there. His father, A. G. Kesler, while a member of the Kansas City council got a position in the fire department for his son, then seventeen years old. March 1, 1885, he was appointed a private, and during the following thirteen years rose by promotion based on merit to the rank of captain in the Kansas City department. His early training was under George C. Hale, for many years chief of Kansas City's fire department and one of the world's greatest fire fighters. Chief Hale said of Mr. Kesler that "he served with noted and distinguished efficiency, was remarkably active and energetic, always ready for duty and danger, had the quickest record known in America for hitching fire teams, and won more prizes as an all-round athlete than any other man in the department." Mr. Kesler, after two years as private, was made captain of chemical engine, from that to captain of hose company No. 8, and next to captain of hose company No. 2, with headquarters at the central station. While captain of No. 2, he trained the noted horses "Dan" and "Joe" for competition in the fast hitching contest at the Grand International Fire Congress at London in 1893, which team easily won first honors in that contest. After Mr. Hale's retirement from the Kansas City department, Mr. Kesler served under Chiefs Edward Trickett and J. C. Egner.
Chief Kesler is ex-president of the Oklahoma and Indian Territory Firemen's Association, and was one of the founders of the Southwestern Firemen's Journal. He was instrumental in securing for Oklahoma City the annual convention of the National Firemen's Association in September, 1907. Mr. Kesler was married in 1902 to Mrs. Alary E. Hunter and they have two children, Elmo and Goldie.
DR. WILLIAM J. BOYD
Who occupies the chair of Gynecology in the medical department of Epworth University, is an ex-army surgeon and one of the foremost physicians and surgeons of Oklahoma City, where he has been located and engaged in practice since 1901.
A native of Genesee County, New York, Dr. Boyd was educated in the state normal school at Genesee and in the University of Rochester, graduating from the latter. Taking up the study of medicine, he pursued the preparatory courses in the medical department of the University of Buffalo, where he was graduated with the class of 1895. Following his collegiate course he took up hospital and post-graduate work in the Johns Hopkins College at Baltimore, and while there made a specialty of gynecology. At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War he was appointed an army surgeon and assigned to John Blair Gibbs Hospital, Lexington, Kentucky, then later transferred to division hospital, Macon, Georgia. Later on he was attached to the Fortieth Infantry with rank of captain and was transferred to the Philippines, where he did active service, both in the hospitals and in the field, for two years. Soon after returning to the United States, Dr. Boyd came, in 1901, to Oklahoma City and established private practice here. As a practitioner he has a liberal following, and in his work as an instructor has been active in establishing the medical department of Epworth. He is a member of the county, state and American medical associations.
JOHN SLOAN ALEXANDER
AS a builder and promoter of high-class business enterprises, the presence of John Sloan Alexander in the public affairs of Oklahoma City and county was a source of lasting benefit, as best illustrated in the location and construction of the county courthouse, a magnificent structure that for years to come will be a source of pride to this section of the state. He was one of the chief influences in getting the courthouse located at its present site, in the block at Main Street, Grand and Dewey avenues. A less sightly and less convenient location could have been secured elsewhere, but fortunately his ideas were followed in securing both grounds and building that would be in keeping with the growth of the city for years to come. J. S. Alexander is a brother of V. L. Alexander, and both brothers have been prominent in affairs of city and territory. As Democrats, they belong in the official records of the county for a number of years service in the office of county treasurer. J. S. Alexander succeeded his brother in that office in 1901 and officiated during two terms, until 1905. It was during his incumbency in this office that he became so largely instrumental in directing the building of the $100,000 courthouse.
In real estate circles the Alexander Company is probably the best known in the city in the general management of real estate and investments. Mr. Alexander is president of this company. His own interests in Oklahoma City are very extensive. In recent years he has become a well known contractor. When the new St. Luke's Methodist Episcopal church, on the corner of Eighth and Robinson streets, is completed in 1908, it will represent probably the finest ecclesiastical structure in the new state, and at the same time will be a monument to its building contractor, Mr. Alexander, who began work on this structure in July, 1907. This church will cost, it is estimated, $65,000.
John S. Alexander has been a resident of Oklahoma City since the opening, in April, 1889. In view of the noteworthy success that has attended his business career, it is of interest to know that for several years after coming to the territory he taught school both in the city and county. He came into the territory on the opening day from Texas, where the family had lived for a number of years. He was born at Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, in 1864, and was a child of six years when his parents moved to North Texas. The family has been prominent for a number of generations in America, a brief mention of earlier members being found in the sketch of W. L. Alexander. One of the earlier generations of the Alexander family was very prominent in promulgating the Mecklenburg declaration of independence, which was the pioneer document in the struggle for liberty from England. Charles Alexander was president of the convention which issued this stirring appeal. John S. Alexander is one of the leading Masons of the state, having attained the thirty-second degree of Scottish Rite, and is a Knight Templar and a Shriner. At Oklahoma City he married Miss Isabel McCafferty, and they have three children, Lotus, Vera, and John Sloan, Jr.
GUY V. MCCLURE
One of the best known of the old cattlemen whose operations were extended to Indian Territory shortly after the close of the Civil war was the late William J. McClure, who died at his home in Oklahoma City in 1899. The extent of his early operations can be judged from the fact that at one time he had under lease the entire Kickapoo and Pottawatomie Indian reservations, comprising what are now Pottawatomie and Lincoln counties of the state of Oklahoma. He was a typical pioneer, courageous, energetic and resourceful. He belonged to a pioneer family of the state of Nebraska, having been born near Nebraska City, and in 1869 came with other members of his family to the Indian Territory, where he quickly became one of the most prominent stockmen.
Twenty years before the original Oklahoma was opened to settlement, he established what became the famous Seven C ranch, on the Canadian river, about sixteen miles east of the present site of Oklahoma City. (The Seven C flats take their name from this ranch.) The Seven C was Mr. McClure's head ranch, although his family had their home at Johnsonville, further down the Canadian, in the Chickasaw Nation. In 1878 the family moved to Atoka in the Choctaw Nation. At the opening of Oklahoma, on April 22, 1889, Mr. McClure and his son, Guy V., made the run. The homestead selected by the elder McClure is best known in modern Oklahoma as the famous Maywood addition, adjoining the city on the northeast, which is now the aristocratic residence section of Oklahoma City. In 1896 he was the largest individual property holder in Oklahoma City and furnished more money toward getting the Frisco Railway into the city from Sapulpa than any other man in Oklahoma City. He was a charter member of the Oklahoma Consistory and the India Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.
Guy V. McClure, son of the pioneer Oklahoman above mentioned, has the rare distinction (for a man of adult age) of having been born in the old Indian Territory years before it was opened to settlement. His birthplace was Johnsonville, in what is now McClain County, Oklahoma, but at that time in the Chickasaw Nation of Indian Territory. He was born in 1871. His mother, Mary E. (Kennedy) McClure, is still living, her home being in Oklahoma City. Along with the active outdoor life, and early experiences in the great cattle industry during the range era, he obtained an excellent education. He was a student at St. Mary's College in Kansas, later at Add-Ran College at Thorp Springs, Texas, and finally graduated from Kemper College of Boonville, Missouri. In the latter school he made a specialty of mathematical studies and civil engineering, and has since followed the profession for which he prepared' himself in college. Mr. McClure is one of the best known engineers of Oklahoma, and since March, 1907, has been chief engineer for the Oklahoma City Railway Company, which operates the street railway lines of Oklahoma City and also the interurban lines extending north toward Guthrie, and has charge of the construction work on all these lines. He is also a member of the engineering firm of Moore and McClure, who do general engineering. For several years Mr. McClure was engaged in railroad engineering for the Rock Island System and the Frisco and other roads in Missouri, Arkansas and Colorado, and for three and a half years was engaged in work for the Mexican Central in old Mexico. Mr. McClure has been through all the higher Masonic degrees, and is a Knight Templar and a Shriner. He married, in Oklahoma City, Miss Bernice H. McAdams, a member of a family who came to Oklahoma at the first opening. They have one daughter, Mary Hortense.
NEWTON F. GATES
HE has constructed more buildings along Main Street in Oklahoma City than any other contractor. As one of the pioneer building contractors, he probably has as intimate a knowledge of the growth of the city as is possible, since he has so long regarded the city from the standpoint of material enlargement and has actually erected many of the handsome buildings that now adorn the business and residence streets.
Coming into the territory on the opening day in 1889, on the Santa Fe train from Purcell he at once staked off lots where is now the headquarters of the fire department, at the corner of Broadway and California Avenue, and on the bare ground passed his first night in the embryo city. He disposed of these first lots, and later took up the lot where subsequently, in 1891 he erected the Gates building, a business block at 110 West Main, which he still owns and which is now in the heart of the business district and a very valuable property. Among' the other business blocks that he has erected since coming to Oklahoma may be mentioned the W. J. Pettee store, the Wetzel building, the Stewart Hotel, the Heyman building, the two Bassett blocks, the latter of which is one of the fine modern buildings of the city.
Mr. Gates is a native of Indiana, born in Clark County, in 1858, son of Leonard and Hannah (Combs) Gates. His parents were old-timers in Clark County, and for half a century resided on the same place. The father was born in Germany, and died at his home in Clark County in 1903. The mother was born in Clark County in 1830 and is still living there, representing one of the oldest families of the county and state. Her father, a Kentuckian, was a pioneer Indian fighter, and had participated at the famous battle of Tippecanoe. Reared on the home farm and educated at the Northern Indiana Normal College at Valparaiso, where he was graduated in 1883, Mr. Gates spent a year or so as a school teacher in Vermilion and Champaign counties. Illinois, and then came west and entered actively into the bustling and vigorous life of this country during the last two decades of the past century. From 1885 to 1889 he lived in southwestern Kansas and southeastern Colorado, and was a cowboy, having worked with several of the big cattle outfits of those days, the best known, perhaps, being the Turkey Track and the Crooked L. This occupation brought him into regions that were still practically uninhabited and undeveloped, comprising much of southwestern Kansas, southeastern Colorado, No Man's Land and the northern part of the Texas Panhandle. The geographical locality so long indicated on school maps as No Man's Land and regarded as deserted by man and beast and plant, became thoroughly known to Mr. Gates during his cowboy experience, and as he lived there before the reign of law, and when the frontier cow-punching days were in the climax of their rough glory, his adventures and experiences would form the basis for a long and interesting story. Mr. Gates saw the last great herd of wild buffalo that passed on before the fury of the skin hunters and the advance of settlement.
Mr. Gates has engaged somewhat prominently in the public life of the city, and has passed through some hotly contested aldermanic campaigns. In 1896 he was elected a member of the school board during the administration when the high school was built. During the years while Oklahoma City was struggling to gain metropolitan distinction in the territory, Mr. Gates was known as a liberal contributor to railroad enterprises and to other public undertakings involving the welfare of the city. Mr. Gates was married at Rockport, Indiana, to Miss Nettie Kramer. Their home is at 125 East Second street.
ROBERT J. KRUEGER
One of the well known residents of the city who was connected in distinct and valuable activities with the early history of the city is Robert J. Krueger. As a carpenter and builder he was among the earliest on the ground when Oklahoma was officially opened in 1889. His first important work, however, was in the Arapahoe and Cheyenne reservation, at Cantonment, in what is now Blaine County, where he worked for the contractor who constructed the new buildings for the Indian mission and agency. After this work was completed he returned to Oklahoma City, in July, 1889, and thenceforward entered actively upon the great work which was quickly transforming a bare townsite into a remarkable city.
As one of the first building contractors of the city, his skill has many monuments in the city, including some of the most conspicuous buildings in the city. Among them may be mentioned, a Catholic church, the Oklahoma Furniture Co.'s building, the California building, the Herskowitz building, the Jenkins building, the county jail for Oklahoma county, the McKinley school building, and from twenty to thirty other large buildings.
Reverting to his connection with early history, it is deserving of historical mention that he organized, taught and drilled the first band in the city, and all the old-timers recall Krueger's band with pleasant memories. It furnished a wholesome amusement in the years when the new country was otherwise almost devoid of the recreations that later years have brought. This band played on the occasion of the appointment of Governor Steele, the first governor of Oklahoma territory, and on other notable occasions in the early history of the city. The headquarters of the band were in the old Bohemian Hall on Reno Street.
In recent years, Mr. Krueger has established and is now proprietor of a large planning mill at Washington Street and the Frisco tracks. This is an enterprise that contributes much to the industrial resources of the city. Building supplies of all kinds are manufactured there, in regular lots and according to specifications. The employment furnished by the mill is the means of livelihood for a considerable number of people.
This pioneer builder and manufacturer of Oklahoma City was born in west Prussia in 1861, and when he came to America in the fall of 1881, landing at New York, he was unable to speak a word of English. He had learned the machinist's trade in Germany and had followed the pursuit for nine years before coming to this country. Considering the obstacles he had to overcome in mastering a new language and learning the ways of a strange people and a strange land, he made rapid progress after reaching America. He lived at Newton, Kansas, some years before coming to Oklahoma, and had there worked at his trade with C. L. Myers, a well known citizen of western Kansas at the time. Since coming to Oklahoma City he has been an independent and successful contractor, and is highly esteemed among all classes of citizens. In May, 1895, when the Kickapoo reservation was opened, he joined in the opening and secured a homestead of a quarter section, which he improved although he did not relinquish his business connections at Oklahoma City. At Oklahoma City Mr. Krueger is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen, the A. O. U. W., the Eagles and various other local orders. He was married at Newton, Kansas, to Miss Helen Memmel, a native and a resident during her youth of Cincinnati. They have six children: Jennie. Marie, Otto, Helen. Raymond, Henry.
A well known throughout eastern Oklahoma as an architect, was born in Springfield. Illinois, in 1854, and is a son of the prominent engineer and architect, M. Coady, who was of Irish ancestry but was reared and educated in London. On coming to America in 1850 he located at Springfield. Illinois, and there his son Edward was reared and educated and received his training for architecture and engineering under his father's instructions, augmented by a course in the Massachusetts School of Technology at Boston, from which he graduated in 1874. He remained connected with his father's professional interests until 1880, when he engaged with the engineering force under Captain Gleason which in that year surveyed the line from the extension of what was known as the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad, now the Frisco, building in a southwesterly direction from Springfield, Missouri, through Indian Territory. Besides working for this company on the bridge across the Arkansas River at Tulsa, Mr. Coady was engaged with his force in the surveying of the line southwest from Red Fork through what is now Oklahoma.
An interesting item recalled by him and one that gives him peculiar attachment to Oklahoma is that in that year, 1880, they camped on the present site of Oklahoma City, where is now the Culbertson building at the corner of Broadway and Grand avenue. Mr. Coady was engaged altogether about three years in railroad engineering work, and the remainder of his professional life has been as an architect, and as such he has enjoyed unqualified success. He spent some years in the west and in the south, including Mexico, and in 1899 located permanently in Oklahoma City. Here he has made a specialty of the designing and construction of heavy buildings-courthouses, schoolhouses and other public buildings and business structures. He designed the Howard & Ames building, the Doc and Bill's furniture building, the Budweiser building, the Herskowitz building, the India Temple, the residence of the bishop of the Catholic diocese of Oklahoma, the Bath business building, the courthouse at Watonga, all of the public school buildings at Chickasha and other miscellaneous work. He is one of the vice presidents of the Oklahoma State Association of Architects.
Mr. Coady's wife before her marriage was Miss Agnes Flannagan of Springfield, but she was born in Ohio.
Back to Page 6
Back to Biographies