Oklahoma Genealogy Trails    
    A Proud Member of the Genealogy Trails Group
 

Oklahoma

The History of Oklahoma Biographies Vol. II
by Luther B. Hill
Page 9


WILLIAM M. SMITH

HE IS prominently identified with the real estate interests of Oklahoma, has been a resident of the city since the opening of the territory in 1889, first establishing a stationery store here, which he conducted for about a year. He then embarked in the business of buying and developing real estate, and this has since been his principal vocation and one in which he has had continuous success as the result of conservative and judicial management. He has always been sincerely interested in the building up of the city, and has often sold business property at a lower figure than others in consideration of the buyer agreeing to improve it with good buildings. In this way he sold his lots at the corner of Broadway and California streets to George Hales, who built thereon the Alta Hotel, a structure that is an ornament to the city. And he has made other similar deals.

Mr. Smith was born in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, in 1846, where his father was employed as a glass-blower. In 1849 the family moved to Indiana, where the son William was reared and received his educational training. When he was but a little lad of ten years his parents died, thus throwing him upon his own resources at an early age. Securing employment on steamboats, he was so engaged during the war, and his memory recalls to mind the old gunboat fleets on the Mississippi, his work taking him on the Ohio and Tennessee rivers and on the Mississippi to New Orleans. In 1866 he secured employment in the timber department on the railroad, furnishing timber for bridge piling, ties, etc., on contract, and he was thus employed on the old Little Rock & Memphis Railroad from Memphis to Little Rock during the intervening period from 1866 to 1870. About 1871, Mr. Smith went further south in the interests of the same business, and for three years operated a shipping landing on the Mississippi river in Chico county, Arkansas. From there he journeyed to Texas, locating at Mt. Pleasant, Titus County, where he maintained his residence for about five years, and from there went to California. He was in Los Angeles during the collapse of its great boom in 1887, and, sacrificing his property there for whatever he could get, he went to Denver, Colorado, and invested his money in that city with good results. In May, 1889, about a month after the opening of Oklahoma, he came to this city, where he has won a name and place among its leading business men, and where he is the owner of valuable real estate interests.

Mr. Smith married, in Arkansas, Miss Louisa Schweinle, a native daughter of Indiana, and although they have had no children of their own they have reared their nephew, Charles A. Schweinle, who is now a prominent furniture merchant in the city of Oklahoma.


WILLIAM T. MCCADDEN

A pioneer business man of Oklahoma, he became a resident of the city when it was a frontier community, when much of its business was carried on in tents. He started a small grocery and feed store on North Broadway, between Second and Third Streets, in 1890, but later moved to the corner of Second and Broadway, where he remained in business until 1890. In that year he retired from active mercantile life. During the nine years in which he was so prominently identified with the business interests of Oklahoma he worked very hard, passing through the trying early period of development and the panic days of 1893. but in spite of all he built up a large business and made money, being numbered among those brave pioneers who remained true to the interests of the city in its critical period, and is now a man of strong financial standing, owning valuable real estate and property interests in the city. The McCadden business block between Second and Third on North Broadway, the site of his first business enterprise, is a first-class three-story brick structure, in keeping with the handsome improvements in the Threadgill Hotel block. This he erected in 1903. He bought the lot on which this building stands in 1899 for four hundred dollars, it then containing a small house, and the property, with the building which he has put thereon, is now worth at a conservative estimate twenty-five thousand dollars it being in the path of the business development of the city, which tends northward along Broadway. During the past several years he has devoted most of his attention to his property interests in Oklahoma City.

Mr. McCadden was born in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in 1853, a son of William and Margaret (Hoolihan) McCadden, both of whom were of Irish ancestry. His paternal grandfather was a British army officer for twenty-five years, and it was while in this service that William McCadden was born on a British man-of-war on the west coast of Africa. He came to America in 1847 and enlisted in the United States army for service in the Mexican war. After the close of the conflict he was stationed at Santa Fe, New Mexico, and vicinity. He also served in the Civil war under Gen. McClellan. Mrs. McCadden was born in the south of Ireland, and, like her husband, was of the best Irish stock.

William T. McCadden was reared to frontier life, his boyhood days having been spent mostly in Santa Fe, where he received the best of educational facilities, spending five years as a student in St. Michael's College in the quaint old Spanish town. On attaining his majority he went to Kansas and worked on a farm, finally acquiring a good farm of his own near Wamego in Pottawatomie County. He, however, longed for the more picturesque life of the southwest, and returning to New Mexico he worked for about seven years as manager of a lumber company's store in the timber district of the mountains back of Los Vegas. In about 1888 he returned to Pottawatomie County, and in the fall of 1889 came to Oklahoma City, which has ever since been his home.

Mr. McCadden married, in Kansas, Miss Minnie Elizabeth Goddard, a native of Indiana and they have four children: Maudie, Beatrice, Marguerite and Francis Patrick. They had the misfortune to lose by death their eldest son, William Parnell McCadden, who died in 1903 at the age of twelve, he having been a bright and promising boy. The family resides in an attractive home on west (sic) street, west of Virginia Avenue, a beautiful site commanding an impressive view of the city.


CLARENCE A. COMPTON

Within sixty days after the founding of Oklahoma City the site on Broadway that is now occupied by the Lee Hotel Annex was occupied by the Compton Hotel. This was built by a pioneer of the city, Clarence A. Compton, who came to this site on April 22, 1889, and staked off the lots on Broadway that are now among the most valuable real estate of Oklahoma City. For several years he conducted the Compton Hotel himself, and since then has been actively though variously identified with the business life of this city. He was one of the founders and until 1907 was president of the American Brick and Tile Company, which has a large plant on the western edge of the city and is extensively engaged in the manufacture of brick and tile. As the owner of valuable interests and a capitalist of high standing, Mr. Compton is an excellent type of the pioneer citizen of Oklahoma.

Mr. Compton was born in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, in 1844, that county having been the home of the family for many years. He was reared and educated there and lived there until about 1884. Coming west, he was located for a time at Wahoo, Saunders County, Nebraska, and then moved to a farm in the Platte bottoms. He is still interested in farming, and owns a splendid farm in Canadian county. While a resident of Pennsylvania he was active in local public affairs, filling various offices, and in the early years of Oklahoma City was elected a member of the school board, giving his influence and active assistance to the cause of education when it was most needed. Mrs. Compton before her marriage was Miss Bessie Miller, a native of Virginia. There are five children: Mrs. Frances Ruth Tarpenning, James Blair, Ivy G., Walter A., and Clarence A. Jr.

Mr. Compton takes great pleasure in the hunt and is a successful sportsman.


JOSEPH J. NOVAK

In the business of real estate, insurance, farm loans and city loans, and investments, Joseph J. Novak is not only a successful man among many others engaged in similar lines of business in this city, but has added distinction as being one of the leaders of his race in the southwest. Mr. Novak is of Bohemian parentage, and while in all essential respects a representative and public spirited American citizen, is also connected prominently with the Bohemian societies in America, and is himself an authority on Bohemian history and literature. His parents, who were born in Hungary, came to America and settled in Johnson county, Iowa, in 1851. They were among the first of their race to settle west of the Mississippi, and were pioneers of the large number of Bohemian people who came later and formed such extensive settlements in Iowa and Nebraska. The parents are still living in Johnson County, where the father is one of the wealthiest and most prominent farmers.

Joseph J. Novak was born in Johnson County, June 23, 1863, and though reared on a farm had the advantages of the schools at Iowa City, the county seat, where he graduated from the academy and the commercial school in 1882. After graduation he was employed as bookkeeper at Cedar Rapids, for a year, and during that time taught Bohemian school at night. Returning to Iowa City in the fall of 1883, he engaged in the abstract and loan and real estate business. This was interrupted in 1886 when he was elected county recorder of Johnson County, and served two terms, until 1890, when he resumed his former business in Iowa City until 1900. Since the latter year he has been a resident and leading business man of Oklahoma City. While a resident of Iowa City he married Miss Hattie Belle Clark, a niece of Samuel J. Kirkwood, the war governor of Iowa. Their two children are Loraine and Hortense.


JAMES C. POWERS

"The largest industry of its kind in Oklahoma" is an assertion that may he made with confidence of the O. K. Cut Stone Works of Oklahoma City. And the business is interesting not alone as the most extensive in the state and as such a large factor in the building operations, but also as a result of remarkable enterprise and management in building it up to this successful point in the course of less than a decade. The O. K. Cut Stone Works were established in Oklahoma City in 1900, by James C. Powers. Previous to this time Mr. Powers was stonecutters' foreman, and since 1891 had lived in Oklahoma City and been engaged in the stone work in buildings in that city, in Guthrie and throughout the two territories. He had learned the stonecutter's trade when a boy, and is thus fitted by training and experience for the success which has come to him in ample measure. Born at Granville, New York, in 1869, he was reared and educated there, but at the age of fifteen went west to Denver and there learned his trade.

Since founding his business in 1900, it is a conservative estimate to say that he has handled two-thirds of the important cut-stone contracts in the two territories that now form the state of Oklahoma; while in Oklahoma City he has taken care of even a larger per cent of the total business. As a cut-stone contractor he long ago established a reputation for honesty and for durable and artistic work that has brought him practically all the big building contracts in this city. In this sketch it will be interesting to enumerate the more important buildings for which Mr. Power's company furnished the cut stone work. In Oklahoma City the list comprises: The Pioneer Telephone Company's building, the Alta Hotel, the old Lee Hotel, the annex to the Lee Hotel, the Lee office building, the Culbertson building, the Baltimore building, the Overholser and Avey building, the Alexander Drug Company's building (both old and new), the Martin building, the Bassett building, Western Union building, Security building, the Wooldridge and Maney building, the Christian Church, St. Anthony's hospital, Baptist Orphans' Home, the Henry Overholser residence, Mt. St. Mary's Academy, and seven out of nine of the city's public school buildings. Mr. Powers can drive through the city and point out whole blocks on nearly every hand where he has done the stone work. Outside of Oklahoma City the list is no less impressive including the Odd Fellows' Home at Carmen, the new hotel at Lawton, the buildings of the Agricultural and Mechanical College at Stillwater, and numerous bank buildings and business blocks.

Mr. Powers is one of the prominent Masons of Oklahoma City, having attained the thirty-second degree and the Shrine. He has held all the chairs in the local lodge of Odd Fellows. In Oklahoma City he was married to Miss Emma G. Olmstead, a native of Iowa, and they have two children, Mabel E. and J. Clifford.


WILLIAM T. HALES

Oklahoma City, despite its youth as a commercial center, has several enterprises that are foremost of their class. It is known that in this city is located the largest mule sales barn in the state. Other localities may produce more mules in the aggregate than Oklahoma City, but nowhere can be found a market under individual control that surpasses that of William T. Hales. Mr. Hales is almost a pioneer of this city, and has built up his business since coming here. Born in McDonald County, Missouri, in 1867, and reared on a farm and accustomed from boyhood to the handling of live stock, he moved to the new town of Oklahoma City early in 1890, and as soon as he could get enough means together started a small feed stable and yard. With an almost inborn knowledge of live stock and with the faculty of trading and dealing in this line of business highly developed in him, he has always been in the way of success, although he had hardly a dollar in the world when he came to Oklahoma City. His business grew and expanded, and the buying and selling of mules developed as a natural adjunct of his other enterprise, and for some years the latter business has absorbed his principal activities. His buyers are constantly moving in various parts of the southwest, gathering in hundreds of mules to this center and from here they go to market all over the United States, Mexico and other southern countries. The extent of his business may be partly estimated from the size of his credit accounts, since he has constantly outstanding from two to three hundred thousand dollars in paper due him for mules sold.

Mr. Hales is a good example of the young man who has "made good" in Oklahoma City. Through hard work, good judgment, and a thorough understanding of, and natural aptitude for his business, he has made a comfortable fortune. He is the owner of some of the most valuable property in Oklahoma City and vicinity. His main business headquarters, the sales stables at the southeast corner of Second and Hudson streets, is in itself a very valuable piece of property, right in line of the business growth of the city. The stable is a substantial brick structure, built with all the modern conveniences for its purpose, equipped with a finely furnished office and other appurtenances for carrying on the trade. Other business property in this neighborhood is owned by Mr. Hales, for example, the Kingman-Moore Implement Company building, the Kross Hotel, and the Security building-all of them high-priced properties in the heart of the city, and constantly increasing in value with the growth of the city. Mr. Hales has a wife and three children. Mrs. Hales was born in Texas and before her marriage was Miss Oneta Burnsides. Their children are: Viva Oneta, Hattie Bell and William T., Jr.


CHIROPRACTIC

During the first session of the Legislature of Oklahoma, one of the interesting, instructive and ably conducted fights for independent recognition, was that conducted by Drs. Willard Carver and L. L. Denny, with their attorneys, assistants and associates for Chiropractic. These gentlemen were at Guthrie publicly and vigorously working in the interest of that science, frankly and openly arguing its cause with the legislators and public generally. During this time, Dr. Carver delivered two lectures on the science of Chiropractic to the Houses of the Legislature in joint assembly. The opponents were the medical and osteopathic professions, which through their representatives endeavored to secure the passage of a bill preventing the practice of Chiropractic. While the science failed in securing independent recognition, it so completely won legislative and public favor as to prevent the passage of the law of exclusion, and secured the passage of a law containing the most circumscribed and fair statement of who shall be deemed to be practitioners of medicine of any state in the Union, the controlling provisions of which are as follows: "The following persons shall be deemed as practicing medicine, first: Those who prescribe or administer any drug or medicine now or hereafter included in materia medica. Second, those who practice major or minor surgery for the relief or cure of injury or deformity of human beings."

Chiropractic was discovered September, 1895. The name means "done with the hand." The science consists in the adjustment of joints of the skeletal frame for the removal of abnormal pressure from nerves. It is purely mechanical and is connected in no way with therapy, being entirely unlike osteopathy, magnetic healing, massage, etc., and has nothing in common with medicine and surgery.
The basic principle of the science is that abnormal pressure upon nerves causes all abnormal function. Abnormal pressure upon nerves, generally speaking, can only occur where they emanate from the spinal cord through movable openings between the joints of the vertebrae, and in bony furrows and cartilaginous grooves in other movable joints. When, from any cause, shock, fall, sprain or poison, these joints are thrown or drawn from normal articulation, abnormal pressure upon the nerves results, with abnormal function at their periphery. Chronic pressure upon spinal nerves results when, because of the occluded nerve stimuli, the cartilaginous cushions between the vertebrae are lessened in thickness, bringing the vertebrae closer together, thus shortening the foramen longitudinally. The conditions resulting from this pressure have been classified as chronic diseases.

Chiropractic adjustment places all joints in normal position, permits nature to restore normal thickness to cartilage, proper length and tension to ligaments and muscles, and through the vaso-motor nerves, normal circulation to the abnormal parts, securing normal depuration and consequently normal assimilation, which condition, it is needless to say, is health. This is a very brief statement of the principles of this science, which applies equally to all forms of abnormality and their removal.

Chiropractic makes no extravagant claims. It is anatomically exact and capable of physiological demonstration. It has made a wonderful record and is to say the least the peer of all other methods for the treatment or removal of disease.

The chief representatives of Chiropractic in Oklahoma are Drs. Willard Carver and L. L. Denny, the former being the president of the Carver-Denny Chiropractic College of Oklahoma City. Dr. Carver was born at Davenport, Iowa, and was reared in Mahaska County of that state. He received his preliminary education in the public schools of that county and Oskaloosa College, finishing his education at Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa. He prepared for the law, graduated from the law department of Drake University in 1891 with the degree of LL. B. In the same year was admitted to the Iowa bar and for fourteen years conducted a large and successful practice in the courts of that and adjoining states. A total breakdown of health in 1897 accidentally resulted in his attention being called to Chiropractic, by the application of which science his life was saved. He at once became a student of the science and later an authority on the subject, writing a large amount of chiropractic literature for publication and lecturing widely on the subject while still in the practice of the law. His knowledge of the merits of the science and the opposition which it would meet in its establishment led him to abandon the practice of the law and take up the business of instructing in chiropractic and working for the passage of laws to protect it, and for the purpose of advancing this end the college of which he is Dean of the Faculty and principal lecturer was established.

Dr. Carver has the distinction of having been one of the first delegates of the new state to the International Tuberculosis Congress of September-October, 1908, and the first member of his school of doctors to receive official recognition or appointment for any purpose whatever.

Dr. L. L. Denny is the president of the Carver-Denny Chiropractic Infirmary Company which conducts two excellent institutions of that kind in Oklahoma City. Dr. Denny is vice-president of the college and a member of the faculty. As superintendent of the infirmaries, Dr. Denny has the widest observation of clinic of any man in his profession, which together with his splendid ability renders him a leading authority on that subject.

The college was established in June, 1906, and since that time has enrolled about two hundred students. The present class numbers sixty-five.


EDGAR S. VAUGHT

The superintendent of the Oklahoma City schools from 1901 to 1906 was Edgar S. Vaught, whose distinguished success in this and other fields of Oklahoma educational progress calls for some detailed mention of his career in connection with the history of education, although at the present time he is engaged in the practice of law and is one of the able members of the bar of Oklahoma City.
The territorial government recognized Mr. Vaught's services in the cause of education, by honoring him with several positions where he has had important relations with the progress of education in the territory. For three years he was a member of the board of education of Oklahoma Territory, and in May, 1907, he was appointed by Governor Frantz a member of the board of regents of the Territorial Normal Schools, three in number, and at this writing is secretary of the board. Mr. Vaught's name and influence have been associated with some of the most important forward movements in Oklahoma, not only in the field of education, but in municipal improvement and moral progress. Popular as a citizen, and a man of interesting and versatile personality, he is of the high type of citizen ship that of recent years has been making better and greater cities in America.

Mr. Vaught was born in Wythe County, Virginia, in 1873. His ancestors, who originated in Holland, were among the earliest settlers of that region of romantic history, made famous by such characters as Parson Brownlow - a section of country embracing southwestern Virginia, southeastern Kentucky and northeastern Tennessee, that is most notable because it has produced men of great valor in war, strong in purpose and of sturdy mental calibre. The Vaught family have lived in Wythe County for several generations, the great-grandfather of Edgar S. having built the first flour mill there. The education of Mr. Vaught was received largely at Carson-Newman College, Jefferson City, Tennessee, where he graduated, and in Emory and Henry College of Virginia. He had begun teaching while in college and after finishing his scholastic education in 1896 his success as a teacher was recognized by the people of Jefferson County to the extent that they elected him for three successive terms to the office of county superintendent of schools. In the meantime he had been studying law, and in 1898 was admitted to the bar at Dandridge, Tennessee, and began practice in that city. In 1901 he located permanently in Oklahoma City, and since severing his active connection with the schools has resumed the practice of law, forming a partnership with John E. DuMars and Samuel A. Calhoun, with the firm name of DuMars, Vaught and Calhoun. This firm has had unqualified success from the start, and is known both to the profession and to the public as enjoying one of the largest general private practices of the law in Oklahoma. Their offices are equipped with an extensive working law library. Mr. Vaught is recognized as a lawyer of a high order of talent, and the success he has achieved is proof that legal practice based on the higher ideals of the profession does not go unrewarded. By intellectual equipment and training he is peculiarly well fitted for his work, and enters into his cases with the confidence that comes from mastery of the questions involved. Mr. Vaught was married at Dandridge, Tennessee, to Miss Mary Holtsinger, of that city. They have two children, Eleanor and Edgar S. Jr.


THOMAS MOORE MILAM

Principal of the Draughon Business College in Oklahoma City is an educator of ability, a successful executive, and a man of high standing in this city. He has been intimately connected with the work of commercial education in this city for the past five years. On coming to the city on August 23, 1902, he bought the old Southwestern Business University, which had been established in 1900, and soon gave the school a reputation for efficient instruction and thorough work. In the meantime Draughon's College entered the field purchasing the Oklahoma City Business College. The Draughon Company recognized in Mr. Milam their most powerful rival, and at the same time appreciated his ability as an educator and business man so much that they concluded to purchase the Southwestern Business University and in their negotiations for the purchase of the university it was stipulated that Mr. Milam should remain as principal of the consolidated school. The consolidation of' the two schools was effected October 14, 1905, and since that date Mr. Milam has been principal and superintendent.

Mr. Milam has a national reputation, having become a master of practically every subject taught in a business college. Having written articles, by request, for -the leading professional journals along the line of commercial education, such magazines as the Typewriter and Phonographic World of New York City, and the (Western) American Penman, he perhaps enjoys as extensive an acquaintance among the leading business college men of the country as any man of his age.

Outside of his work as an educator, Mr. Milam has important interests in Oklahoma City, especially in real estate, and both the professional and business men of the city recognize in him a man of prominence and civic worth. He was born at Tyro, in Tate County, Mississippi, September 29, 1872, and the greater part of his career has been spent in educational activities. His parents, John J. and Alice (Cathey) Milam, who are residents of Oklahoma City, belonged to the large planter class in Mississippi before the war, but that conflict practically swept away all their property. The father is a lawyer and teacher by profession. The family ancestry includes the name of the famous Ben Milam, of Texas history, who was a cousin of the great-grandfather of the Oklahoma City educator. Our Mr. Milam is also closely related to Gen. Robert E. Lee of Virginia and of Civil war fame. Owing to the reduced circumstances of his family during his youth, Thomas M. Milam had practically no schooling while a boy, a fact that makes his success the more noteworthy. It was only when he began to earn his own way that he was able to secure the advantages it was his constant ambition to improve. He studied in the Galveston Business University, the Springfield (Mo.) Normal School, and the Chillicothe (Mo.) Normal School-in all of which institutions he was also employed as a teacher. He began teaching as a career at the age of twenty, beginning his first school December 5. 1892. He taught two years in the Chillicothe (Mo.) Normal, and two years in the Springfield (Mo.) Normal.

Mr. Milam was married in Kansas City to Miss Hallie K. Gowin of Buffalo, Missouri.


MARY D. COUCH

The perfecting of the organization of the first high school in Oklahoma City was the work of Mary D. Couch, whose work as an educator makes her name worthy of permanent remembrance in the history of the city and county's schools. Mrs. Couch came to Oklahoma City and undertook the practical work of establishing a high school in 1892. During the following eight years she was connected with the city schools as ward principal and teacher of eighth grade work. In 1901 she was elected superintendent of public instruction for Oklahoma County under the territorial organization, and was re-elected in 1903. She retired from the position for two years, and with the advent of statehood government was again elected to the office. In every case she has been a popular and logical choice for the office, the result of her zeal and sound judgment in the conduct of an office which is so closely connected with the public welfare.

Education as a career was her ambition and choice early in life, and she has attained a worthy position in this field. Mrs. Couch was born at Des Moines, Iowa, October 26, 1870, daughter of George W. and Emily H. (Butler) Dunn. Her father was a farmer, having resided formerly at Galesburg, Illinois, and later at Arkansas City, Kansas. In the latter place the daughter received her education in the public schools, and has perfected herself for teaching by various normal courses and a live interest in the work from the time she taught her first school to the present. From 1889 to 1892 she was a teacher in the schools of Labette and Cowley counties, Kansas. Having spent some of her early years on the southern Kansas border, she was familiar with all the movements and events of the Oklahoma boomer days, and three years after the opening of the territory she became a resident and an organizer in educational affairs.

In 1892 she was married to John M. Couch, brother of Captain Couch the noted successor of Payne in command of the boomers. There is one daughter, Mary Emily.


JOHN M. HILL

TO supply the technical preparation, for business affairs, such as cannot be obtained in the ordinary public school, the business college has been developed as a necessity of modern commercialism. One of the institutions in Oklahoma City that offer splendid facilities in this field is Hill's Business College, of which John M. Hill is president and proprietor. Established February 4, 1907, the college has prospered remarkably and has already filled a worthy place in its particular field of education-the training of young men and women for the special knowledge and handling of business matters. The third floor of the building on northwest corner of Broadway and Main streets where the school is located, is commodious and well arranged for the purposes of the school, has plenty of light, ventilation and every comfort and convenience for the student. The school is completely equipped with the furniture adapted to its special work and with all devices for carrying on the business practice. Half a dozen of the better known departments of business are represented, such as banks, commission houses, wholesale and freight house, and the pupils get training, by these means, that is as nearly practical as is possible outside of actual participation in business. The shorthand and typewriting departments are furnishing another class of business helpers. The Gregg system of shorthand is used and the touch system of typewriting. One of the best penmen in the country teaches penmanship, and each department of the college is in charge of an expert. The atmosphere of the school is clean and wholesome and an air of enthusiasm prevails.

The peculiar fitness of the president of the school for his undertaking is both a recommendation of the school and a subject of interest for biography. His work is his profession since it developed from his own business experience and a natural aptitude for teaching and helping others to higher positions in business life. Born at Butler, Bates county, Missouri, in 1857, when he was four years old the family moved to Georgetown, which was then the county seat of Pettis County, but after the building of the railroad the neighboring town of Sedalia grew into the important center and metropolis of that part of Missouri. In the earlier years, however, Georgetown was a pretentious little city and was noted particularly for the excellence of its private schools. Mr. Hill attended Georgetown Academy, whose principal was a graduate of Yale; later was a student in Pettis County College (also at Georgetown), from which he graduated at the age of 17, in 1874. After teaching country school three years, he became connected with the mercantile business in Sedalia, and at the same time studied shorthand and bookkeeping. At the age of twenty-four he went to St. Louis where he completed his business education in Bryant and Stratton's well known business college. On his return to Sedalia, where in the meantime had been established the division headquarters, railroad shops and other departments of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, he took a position in the office of the superintendent of that railroad, and in a short while was promoted to chief clerk.

It was while in this position, where expert business methods were prerequisites to success, that he made the beginning of the business which has occupied the latter part of his career. He kept night school in his own home, at first with only one pupil, who was taught in the kitchen as school-room. More pupils came making it necessary to move to the more dignified surroundings afforded by the parlor. For fifteen years he continued teaching pupils at night while working at his position of chief clerk during the day. On resigning his position with the railroad on January 1, 1900, he established a regular day and night business college in Sedalia. Opening with five pupils, in seven years he had built up his school into one of the recognized educational institutions of Sedalia, with an annual enrollment of six hundred students. Desire for a large field caused him to pay a visit to Oklahoma City, where he was so impressed with the present attainments and the future possibilities of the city, that he decided to establish a business college for the special training of the many assistants demanded by the commercial and other business interests of the city and state. Professor Hill has become one of the permanent residents of the city, having purchased a fine home, and in the prime of a busy and useful career is building up the educational institution of which citizens are justly proud, and which will make its influence felt in the commercial life of the country.


GEORGE CHILDS JONES, LL. D.

The Oklahoma College for Young Ladies and Conservatory of Fine Arts was established in June, 1906, by George Childs Jones, LL. D., who is the owner of the institution and president of the faculty. The first classes were organized in September, 1906, and with a faculty of fifteen efficient instructors the close of the first year's successful work showed a total enrollment of 125 pupils. This school is undenominational and the only one of its kind in Oklahoma, and in the latter history of the state when all the facilities and institutions of education have grown in corresponding degree with population and wealth, it will be the distinction of this school that it was a pioneer in the education of women in this state.

The college has a most fortunate location, in Putnam Heights, with a campus of ten acres, overlooking the entire city and the surrounding country. Its buildings and equipments are excellent, including dormitories ample for the accommodation of a large number of girls. The patronage of the school is drawn from the city and a large scope of country round about. The ideals of the management are high, and a visitor is at once impressed by the atmosphere of culture and moral and intellectual refinement that surrounds the institution. Under Dr. Jones' able management there are ample financial resources to carry out his plans to make this the most important educational institutions for women in the state. Besides the regular literary courses, leading to degrees, music and other fine arts are taught in the Conservatory of Fine Arts.

Dr. Jones, the president and proprietor of the college, is an educator "to the manner born." Coming of a family of educators, he was born in 1859, at Jackson, Tennessee, where his father, Rev. Amos. W. Jones, a Doctor of Divinity in the Methodist church, was for fifty years president of the Memphis Conference Female College. Since the death of this venerable educator in 1894, his son, Dr. Amos B. Jones, has assumed the presidency, having formerly been president of Huntsville (Alabama) Female College. A brother of the late Rev. Dr. Jones was the Rev. Dr. Turner M. Jones, also deceased, who for a long number of years was president of the Greensboro (N. C.) Female College. The mother of our Oklahoma educator was Amanda (Bigelow) Jones, who was born and educated in Massachusetts and came as a teacher to Jackson, Tennessee, where she met her husband.

Reared in a scholastic atmosphere, Dr. Jones received a fine education and has been teaching and a student all his life. He graduated with the Bachelor's degree from the Southwestern Baptist University at Jackson in 1876, and in 1879 with the Master's degree from Vanderbilt University at Nashville. In 1885 the degree of LL. D. was conferred upon him by the Southwestern Baptist University. For several years he was engaged in teaching in the faculty under his father at the Memphis Conference Female College, but in the meantime went abroad for study and at the University of Berlin sat under the inspiring lectures of Helmholz, the great physicist. On returning from Europe he took charge of and practically established the Arkadelphia Methodist College at Arkadelphia, Arkansas, building it up to a high standard of efficiency and financial soundness, and finally deeded the property, worth some $75,000, to the Arkansas Methodist Conference. Having been invited to come to Oklahoma City and join the faculty of the new Epworth University, which was established in 1903, in 1904 he accepted the chair of sciences in that institution, and occupied it two years until he turned his attention to his present school. Dr. Jones possesses that rare combination of thorough executive and business ability with exceptional strength as an educator. As a business man he has become closely identified with other substantial interests in Oklahoma City, being a director in the Columbia Bank and Trust Company and a director of the Davis Wholesale Hat Company, and also a director in the Citizens Life Insurance Company of Louisville, Kentucky. Dr. Jones married Miss Lelia L. Moore, whose father, John G. Moore, was one of the founders of the city of Terrell, Texas. They have four children; namely, Georgia Sue, Mary Dale, George C., Jr. and Thomas J.


HENRY MINOR SCALES

The present chief executive of Oklahoma City, elected in the spring of 1907, is Henry Minor Scales. By an efficient and progressive administration of the affairs of this growing city he has not only proved the wisdom of his choice by the majority of the voters but is also contributing to the permanent welfare of the entire city. In its present mayor the city has a fine representative of the young men of business and affairs who are the principal factors in making this a rich metropolis.

In business life Mr. Scales is a member of the Harter Company, real estate. They have transacted one of the largest real estate deals of the year, in the purchase, during the summer of 1907, of the corner of Main and Harvey streets, and the erection thereon of a large modern office building. Many other important transactions could be mentioned to their credit, and the firm is one of the best known in this business in Oklahoma City. Mr. Scales was born at Holly Springs, Marshall County, Mississippi, in March, 1809, son of Henry Minor and Sallie (Banks) Scales. His father, a Virginian by birth and ancestry, was a prominent citizen of northern Mississippi, and died at his home in Holly Springs before the birth of his son who bears his name. The mother, who is living with her son in Oklahoma City, is a member of a well known Georgia family, for whom Banks county, Georgia, was named, and which produced a number of distinguished citizens of the south. During boyhood Henry Minor Scales moved with his mother to middle Tennessee and lived in that state until he came to Oklahoma. He was highly educated, attending the University of the South at Sewanee and later Vanderbilt University at Nashville, where he was graduated in 1891. He was educated for the profession of law, having studied to that end while in college, and was admitted to the bar at Nashville, in June, 1891. Both at Nashville and Clarksville, Tennessee, he was known as a practicing lawyer, and from the latter place moved to Oklahoma City in 1901. In the meantime he had become identified with the insurance business, representing the Prudential Life Insurance Company, and his coming to Oklahoma was for the purpose of taking the general management of the company's business in Oklahoma territory. He has not been an active member of the bar since coming to Oklahoma, and after resigning his position with the insurance company he entered a partnership with H. P. Harter in the company above named.


ORLANDO C. ALSPAUGH

Chief clerk of the Railway Mail service for the Oklahoma district of the Eleventh Division is Orlando C. Alspaugh, who was promoted to this office in October, 1902, and has since had his headquarters and residence in Oklahoma City, where he is a well known and public spirited citizen. His jurisdiction embraces practically all the R. P. O. routes in Oklahoma, extending from Newton, Kansas, Monett, Missouri, and Fort Smith. Arkansas, west and south into Texas, with about one hundred and twenty-five clerks under his supervision. Mr. Alspaugh's district is one of the most efficiently conducted in the entire Railway Mail Service, and has a high standing in the department. Indefatigable in his efforts to improve the service, and popular with his subordinates and with the public, he is in a position to be of substantial benefit to the general business interests of the state.

Mr. Alspaugh has been connected with the postal department during the greater part of his active career, and in this service has known Oklahoma since it was opened to settlement. Born at Lafayette, Linn county, Iowa, in 1858, where his parents were pioneer settlers, he received most of his schooling at Normal, in McLean county, Illinois, where his parents located in 1869. Owing to the death of his father he was early thrown upon his own resources, and at the age of fourteen came to Kansas in company with an older brother, L. P. Locating in Marion county in 1872, the brothers began farming, but their experience in that line almost proved disastrous owing to the grasshopper plague and continued droughts. During his residence in Marion County, Mr. Alspaugh became postmaster at the town of Bethel, in the northeast part of the county, and has since been identified with this department of the federal service. In 1889, having passed the necessary examinations, he was appointed to a position in the Railway Mail Service, his run being the Newton and Galveston R. P. O. For nearly thirteen years his run was on the Santa Fe south from Newton through Oklahoma to Texas, his first work being shortly after the opening of Oklahoma in 1889. Through the different grades he was promoted into the position he now occupies. Previous to that time his residence was at Newton, Kansas. Mr. Alspaugh was married in Marion County to Miss Minnie R. Evans, who was a native of Philadelphia. They have four children, Grace, William E., Frank and Helen.


WILLIAM PHILLIP HARPER

HE is a member of the Oklahoma bar and gained a large part of his legal training in this state. He was born in the little village of Wheeling, Delaware County, Indiana, February 18, 1859, son of Charles A. and Mary J. (Wendell) Harper. His father, a native of Ohio, was a lawyer by profession, and was engaged in practice for some years at Muncie, Indiana. It was in his father's office at Muncie that Mr. Harper began his legal studies. From 1876 to 1885 he was a resident of Clinton County, Indiana, then for three years lived in Kansas, and in December, 1889, located in the new town of Oklahoma City, where he resumed the study of law and was admitted to the bar in 1891. Judge Harper was first chosen judge of probate in 1894, on the Republican ticket, and after his term of two years was completed, he continued his law practice in the city. In 1902 he was again elected probate judge, and has held over through 1907 pending adoption of statehood. Popular among the people and excellently qualified in the law, he occupies a place of high regard among the people of the city and county. Judge Harper was married in Oklahoma City to Miss Cora B. Gregory. They have three children, Annabel, Wendel and William P., Jr.



Back to Page 8

Page 10

Back to Biographies





Back to the Main Index Page for Oklahoma
©Genealogy Trails