McClain County, Oklahoma
Located in western McClain County. The post office was established November 27, 1906, after the coming of the Oklahoma Central Railway. Land was purchased from Charles Vincent and named for W. G. Blanchard of Purcell, town site developer. His younger brother Arthur and his family resided in the area.
In eastern McClain County on Highway 59. The post office was established on April 19, 1902 although Foreman's Newspapers of the Chickasaw Nation list the Byars Banner first being published in 1902. Named for Mrs. Nathan Byars, an Indian allottee. A township of the county including the town of Byars.
In McClain County, 6 miles northeast of Byars on County Road 1450. A Post Office from June 29, 1900 to September 15, 1930. Named for William Chisholm, son of Jesse Chisholm, whose residence was nearby. William Chisholm was known to have killed the last wild buffalo in southeastern central Oklahoma. Original proposed name on March 12, 1900 was HAILEY for James W. Hailey, post master, but approved under the corrupted spelling after the Chisholm family, early settlers of the area.
Far southwestern township of the county - named after the prominent Colbert family.
In McClain County, 7 miles southeast of Blanchard. A post office from April 2, 1912 to August 31, 1954 although the town on the Oklahoma Central Railway was established earlier. Named for Preslie B. Cole of McAlester, townsite owner.
Located near Rosedale. The town was named for Charles P. Coulson, the general store owner and postmaster. The post office was in existence from September 30, 1902 to December 31, 1908. Descendants of Coulson are still living in the area, although the town is no longer in existence.
In McClain County, 12 miles west of Purcell on Highway 59. A post office from June 2, 1910 to October 15, 1928. It took its name from nearby Criner Creek, a branch of the Washita River, which, in turn, had been named for George A. Criner, early-day rancher and brother-in-law of Robert Love.
In the southwest corner of the county near the Grady County line. A post office was in existence from April 5, 1906 to February 28, 1914. The community included a store and many active churches. Many revivals were listed in the Alex Tribune.
In McClain County, 15 miles west of Purcell. Post office established May 22, 1894. Named for John and James Dibble, local ranchers. Dibble was a remount station earlier on the Fort Smith to Fort Sill road and according to Indian-Pioneer Interviews, established in the area from the 1870's.
A spur of the Oklahoma Central Railroad on the Gibbons Ranch northwest of Washington.
A community west of Purcell on the Goins family property.
Two miles south of Byars. A post office was there from April 9, 1895 to April 21, 1897. Named for W. T. Golden, local resident according to SHIRK. Another story tells that the post office was established at the site of an ill-fated gold mining operation. (Eagle Mining Co.)
In McClain County, 6 miles north of Washington. Named after the prominent Goldsby family. Frank W. Goldsby was an early county commissioner.
A township in southern McClain County named after the Hopping family. Mrs. Rose Hopping was the original allottee.
A community in central McClain County.
A Negro farming community northwest of Washington.
A township on the northern tip of McClain County and a community east of Washington. Named for the Johnson family, probably Montford's son, Edward B., who operated the Johnson Ranch near the Canadian. He also was prominent in early Purcell and Norman history.
In McClain County, 2 miles northwest of Byars on Johnsonville Road. Site of old Camp Arbuckle; often known as Beaversville. A post office from October 5, 1876, to March 15, 1910. No longer in existence, it was named for Montford Johnson, prominent Chickasaw rancher who established his first ranch in McClain County in the 1870's.. This town was the earliest community in the county.
Located halfway between Purcell and Washington. Little is known of this early community.
The post office was in existence from July 2, 1888 to July 21, 1892 and was located on the Leeper Ranch. When William E. Leeper was killed in a gunfight, his widow turned in the post office charter and moved to Norman. Located between the present day towns of Blanchard and Newcastle.
A post office existed from November 3, 1903 to December 31, 1905. Named for Malvern Hill, a Virginia Civil War battle site, this town is no longer in existence. The names originally proposed for this location was "Pearl".
The township where Purcell is located. Named after the Choctaw Muncrief family. Original pioneer was a scout for Colonel Marcy who settled in the area of Fred.
An early community in the vicinity of Washington. A school and cemetery were in existence before the town of Washington was platted.
In northern McClain County, 7 miles northwest of Norman. Post office established March 26, 1894. Its name comes from Newcastle, Texas.
A farming community east of Rosedale that gradually ceased to exist when the railroad went south of town. Dates of its post office were July 26, 1898 to August 1, 1908.
In southwestern McClain County, 5 miles northeast of Lindsay at Highway 59. It was a farming community. The post office was in existence from December 15, 1904 to October 31, 1922. The original proposed name was "Brooks", but the final charter was named after Jeff D. Payne, the first postmaster. Purcell was actually established in 1887 in the old Chickasaw Nation. It is the seat of McClain County. In 1887, the Santa Fe Railroad coming south from Kansas, and coming north from Texas, met in Purcell. It opened a new rail link through Indian Territory.
A branch of the California Trail and a branch of the Chisholm Cattle Trail, crossed the river north of where Purcell stands now.
The McClain County Historical Society is located in the McClain County Museum at 203 Washington in Purcell. It is full of very interesting bits of McClain County, Purcell and Oklahoma history.
The County Seat for McClain County. Record Town for Recording District No. 18, Indian Territory. Post Office was established July 21, 1887. Named for E. B. Purcell, of Manhattan, Kansas, Santa Fe Railroad director.
In McClain County, 7 miles east of Wayne on Highway 59. A post office from August 25, 1908 to January 6, 1961. Named for Rose Hopping, townsite allotee. This town came into existence as a station on the Oklahoma Central Railroad.
Rosedale was established in April, 1908, when a township of ninety acres was opened to home builders. During the first six months of its existence, there was an influx of more than 300 people, a majority of whom built homes. Since the soil in the area was very productive, the Oklahoma Central Railroad immediately constructed a depot in the town. Also, during Rosedale's first half-year, two gristmills, two cotton gins, and a sawmill were put into operation. In addition, four general stores, two cafes, a meat market, an ice cream parlor, a hotel, and other businesses were opened. Within a year, a bank was established, and two churches and a school system were organized.
The life of Rosedale depended to some extent upon the railroad. At best the Oklahoma Central was a high-risk venture. It extended from Lehigh to Chickasha via Ada, Rosedale, Purcell, and other small towns between those places. One official of the railroad said: "No sane man would ever think of building a railroad where the O.C. was located if he ever intended to operate it. The territory was already covered by good railroads and there was no chance to earn enough to pay operating expenses." The railroad went into receivership in June 1908. In July 1914, the Santa Fe gained control of the line. Bridges over the Canadian River were twice washed out. As highways through the area were developed, fewer goods were shipped into and out of Rosedale. In 1934 that part of the line through Rosedale was abandoned.
During the 1930s, Rosedale declined rapidly and was never able to make a recovery. The bank closed and moved to Byars. State highway 59 was built through the town, giving easy access to Purcell, Pauls Valley, and other cities. During the 1940s, fire destroyed some of the older business buildings. So many people had moved from the community by the 1960s that the high school was closed. The grade school closed in 1971. A few empty store buildings and an unused school plant remain standing. Most of the remaining homes are occupied, but as two of the older women remarked, "Very few young people now live in town, and none are returning."
A community southwest of Purcell.
A stop on the Oklahoma Central Railroad between Vincennes and Purcell.
A township named after the pioneer family of the county.
A township named after the pioneer family of the county.
In McClain County, 10 miles northwest of Purcell at Highway 24. Post office established May 10, 1904. Named for George Washington, Caddo chief. According to Post Office Site Location microfilms, the application for the post office was dated April 2, 1904. Signed by the first postmaster, John Randolph Kerr, it listed as possible names three ex-presidents of the United States: Washington, Madison or Van Buren. The approved application dated May 10, 1904 showed Washington was chosen for the original name. It was located 3 miles west and a mile north of the present site. This original site was a school house neighborhood with a small store and post office. When the Oklahoma Central Railroad was being constructed, the present site was designated and the post office moved there in 1907.
In McClain County, 6 miles south of Purcell at Highway 77. Post office established December 11, 1890. The site was designated in 1887 as a station on the Santa Fe Railroad and named after a town in Pennsylvania, since depots were regulated by Indian treaty to be constructed at specified intervals. However for several years it was only a depot town. The originally proposed name by the first postmaster, William F. King was "King". The approved name was granted with its charter December 22, 1890.
No exact location for this community. But found the following: In western McClain County, 2 miles southeast of Blanchard. A post office from August 6, 1900 to August 14, 1909. Named for John C. Womack, proprietor of general store.
Located at Highway 39 and Highway 24 west of Purcell. It was a farming community.
All data on this website is © Copyright
2009 by Genealogy