Howson C. Bailey, M. D.
For fully twenty years there has been a member of the Bailey family engaged in the practice of medicine in what is now Southern Oklahoma. Dr. Howson C. Bailey is one of the prominent physicians and surgeons of Sulphur, and his father is also well known to the profession there, and first began practice in Indian Territory in 1896 in the Wynnewood locality.
This branch of the Bailey family came from England to Virginia during colonial times. Dr. Howson C. Bailey was born in Hickman, Kentucky, December 9, 1878. His father, Dr. J. E. Bailey, was also born in Kentucky in the year 1847, was reared and educated in that state and after his removal to Texas he married Sallie M. Miller, a native of Texas. He graduated in medicine from the Louisville Medical College, and practiced his profession in Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Texas before locating at Wynnewood, Indian Territory, in 1896. In the years before statehood he carried his skill to a large patronage in and about Wynnewood, where he was a pioneer doctor, but since 1908 has carried on a general medical and surgical practice at Sulphur. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and in politics is independent. He and his wife have three children: Dr. Howson C., R. S. Bailey who conducts a men's furnishing store at Sulphur; and Lucy, wife of C. P. Williams who is engaged in the life and fire insurance business at Sulphur.
In 1887 Howson C. Bailey accompanied his parents to Hunt County, Texas, where he attended the public schools until graduating from high school in 1895. The following year his parents moved into Indian Territory, but in the meantime he had entered the AddRan University at Thorp Springs, Texas, the nucleus of what is now the Christian University at Waco. He graduated S. B. in 1898, took post-graduate work in the same school, and then for two years was a student in the medical department of Fort Worth University and for one course attended the medical department of the University of Texas at Galveston. He finished his studies in the Trinity University Medical Department, from which he was graduated M.D. in 1903. Doctor Bailey took much part in college and university life, was prominent in the Glee Club and as an athlete made the football teams.
After graduating he spent one year as assistant to Doctor Chambers, who was at that time health officer of Fort Worth. From 1904 to 1912 he practiced in Wynnewood, Oklahoma, and in the fall of 1912 located in Sulphur, where he has his offices in the Weems Building. Few of the younger physicians have applied themselves more industriously to continued study and training for their special work. Doctor Bailey has taken special post-graduate work at Galveston and at Dallas, and in 1913 attended the Sophian clinics at Dallas. In these courses he specialized in eye, ear, nose and throat and also in general surgery and diseases of women. For the past two years Doctor Bailey has been city superintendent of health at Sulphur, and for one year was assistant city superintendent of health at Dallas.
He is a member of the board of censors of the County Medical Society, a member of the State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. Doctor Bailey is president of the Physicians Oil and Gas Company of Sulphur. He is a democrat, a member of the Christian Church, affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of America, with the Grand Lodge of Oklahoma of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, with the Brotherhood of American Yeomen and with the Homesteaders.
At Baxter, Kansas, in 1903, Doctor Bailey married Miss Anna .L. Beeson, whose father is E. W. Beeson, a Presbyterian minister now located at Bloomingdale, Indiana. Doctor and Mrs. Bailey have two children: H. C. Bailey, who was born December 15, 1904, and Foster, born November 9, 1906, both attending the public schools at Sulphur.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma Vol. III and was written by Joseph B. Thoburn and is published by the Historical Society in 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]
John William Blattner, M. A.
Soon after Governor Williams began his administration in 1915 he and the state superintendent of education, Mr. R. H. Wilson, began looking for the best talent and experience to fill the position of superintendent of the Oklahoma School for the Deaf. That is a position for which the qualifications are purely technical and in no sense political, and it was natural that the governor and his advisers should look beyond the borders of the state. After much solicitation they finally secured the services of the then superintendent of the North Dakota School for the Deaf, John William Blattner. Mr. Blattner's reputation became securely established as an educator and administrator in this field by his long connection with the State School for the Deaf in Texas. In fact he has a national and international reputation, and Oklahoma was fortunate in gaining his services.
The Oklahoma School for the Deaf is located at Sulphur on a beautiful tract of land and the situation is peculiarly advantageous from every standpoint. The plot on which the buildings are located consists of fourteen acres, located one mile east of the Sulphur post office. A short distance east of the building site are sixty acres, which were originally intended as the campus for the school, but are not so easily accessible since they are on a bluff. The institute was started in 1907, receiving at that time the sixty-acre tract of land which was donated by citizens of Sulphur. The first Oklahoma State Legislature made an appropriation of several hundred thousand dollars. Building was commenced on the original site, but after one of the concrete floors for one of the buildings fell on account of faulty construction the work was condemned, and afterwards the present site decided upon. Plans are now being made for a new administration building and two more dormitories. The present building equipment consists of three main structures, a large school building and two dormitories, one for boys and one for girls. A new building is being erected to serve as a kitchen with a large dining room on the second floor and rooms for employes on the third. All these buildings are of brick and fireproof construction, and Oklahoma has the advantage of having established this institution within the last few years, when it has been possible to make use of the latest ideas in sanitary and model equipment and arrangement. The institution as at present can accommodate 240 students, and there are 215 now enrolled, representing all sections of the state. Since he became superintendent Mr. Blattner has introduced many improvements, and it is to be expected that the attendance at the school will soon reach 300 or more.
John William Blattner was born in Mahaska County, Iowa, the son of a substantial farmer of German birth and lineage, G. M. Blattner, who was born in Germany in 1830 and came to America in young manhood. He lived a time in Ohio and later in Kentucky, and was a pioneer in Mahaska County, Iowa. He died at Prairie City, Iowa, in the winter of 1910. The maiden name of his wife was Mary Ann Hauck, also a native of Germany and now deceased.
Superintendent Blattner acquired his early education in the public schools of Iowa; being graduated from the high school at Pella, and in 1885 graduated A. B. from the Central University of Iowa. The same university subsequently gave him the degree M. A. From the first his work as an educator has been in teaching the deaf. His first experience was at the Iowa School for the Deaf at Council Bluffs, where he remained a little more than three years. Subsequently he had charge of the Colorado School for the Deaf at Colorado Springs one year, and then accepted the office of principal of the Texas School for the Deaf at Austin. As already mentioned, it was his work there which brought him his widest distinction, and he remained in charge of the Texas institution for more than a quarter of a century. He was then offered and accepted the superintendency of the North Dakota School for the Deaf at Devil's Lake. He took charge of that school July 1, 1912, and was there three years when he yielded to the solicitations of Governor Williams and Mr. R. H. Wilson and resigned to come to Oklahoma. Governor Williams made his appointment in July, 1915, and he took charge of the Sulphur Institution on August 1st. While the governor has the appointing power at present, the control of the school and the appointment of the superintendent will probably in the near future be given to the state board of education. Mr. Blattner's term of service is at least assured for four years.
He is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and while living in Austin was one of the board of stewards of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, one of the largest churches of that city, and held a similar position while living at Devil's Lake in North Dakota. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias. In Austin, Texas, in 1891, Mr. Blattner married Miss Lula A. Jones, whose father, D. W. Jones, was a prominent early merchant of Austin. Mrs. Blattner had been a teacher in the Texas School for the Deaf before her marriage. Their five children are: George W., who is a graduate from the Academic Department of the University of Texas with the class of 1915 and the degree A. B., and is now taking postgraduate work in commercial law and banking at the University of Wisconsin; David J., graduated from the Devil's Lake High School in June, 1915, and is now in the freshman class of the University of Wisconsin, in the electrical engineering department. Mary Ann, a junior in the University of Texas; John William, Jr., a sophomore in the Sulphur High School; and Delle Shapard, in the public schools of Sulphur.
Mr. Blattner is a member of the National Association of Teachers of the Deaf, and for a number of years held an official position in that body and has always been active in national conventions. He is a member of the National Association to Promote Teaching of Speech to the Deaf and served as a director in that organization for a number of years. He has long been prominent in the proceedings of the national associations of his profession, and has also made a thorough study of the methods employed in the education of the deaf. A number of years ago he prepared a course of study for the deaf which has been taken as a model by many of the schools in the country, and this fact alone has brought him into great prominence in his profession. He has been a frequent contributor to periodicals published in the interests of the education of the deaf, especially to the American Annals of the Deaf. Oklahoma has indeed been fortunate in securing Mr. Blattner to administer the Sulphur institution through its early and formative years of development.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]
Harry Wilson Broadbent
Since 1907 located at Sulphur, where he has built up a good civil and criminal practice as a lawyer, Mr. Broadbent has had a very active career since leaving his father's Kansas farm a little more than a quarter of a century ago. He has been a lawyer for the past fifteen years but the management of business affairs has always gone hand in hand with his practice.
Born in Henry County, Illinois, September 30, 1869, Mr. Broadbent comes of sturdy English ancestors. His grandfather, William Broadbent, was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1S22, and brought his family to America about 1850, locating in Henry County, Illinois, where he continued his career as a farmer until his retirement. He died at advanced age in 1908. The maternal grandfather of Mr. Broadbent was John Kemplay, who was born in Leavening, Yorkshire, England, in 1822 and came to America about 1853. His first location was in the young and growing City of Chicago, where he acquired a tract of about forty acres of land occupying the site now covered by the Chicago stockyards. Naturally enough he did not realize the great future value of that location, and sold out and moved to Henry County, Illinois, where he continued as a farmer and died there in 1889.
Mr. Broadbent's parents were Wilson and Mary (Kemplay) Broadbent. His father was born in England in 1847 and was about three years of age when brought to this country and grew up in Henry county, Illinois, where he married. In 1871, when his son Harry W. was two years of age, he removed to Whiteside County, Illinois, and in 1879 came further west and established his home on a farm in Nemaha County, Kansas, where he still resides. His entire active career has been spent as a farmer and stock raiser. He has frequently held township offices and is a loyal democrat, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and of the Modern Woodmen of America. His wife was born in England in 1851 and was also an infant when brought to America. Their children are: Harry W.; Rosa S., wife of Henry A. Furst, in the abstract business at Duncan, Oklahoma; Charles E., assistant postmaster at Duncan; and Alice E., wife of Robert E. Kempin, a farmer in Nemaha County, Kansas.
Harry W. Broadbent attended the public schools of Whiteside County and from the age of ten the schools of Nemaha County, Kansas. His first nineteen years were spent on his father's farm. On leaving home he secured a position with the Swift Packing Company in Kansas City, remaining there three years, and was then with the Badger Lumber Company of Kansas City until 1900. While thus employed he determined to prepare himself for a professional career, and in addition to his regular employment during the day he spent several hours nearly every night attending a night school, the Kansas City School of Law, from which he earned his degree LL. B. in 1900. Then for about three years he continued to live in Kansas City and practiced law, after which he resumed the lumber business both in that city and in Minneapolis, Minnesota, until 1907.
Mr. Broadbent has lived at Sulphur, Oklahoma, since October, 1907. His offices are in the old Weems Building on Muskogee Avenue. While living in Kansas he served as a member of the State Legislature in 190304. In politics he is a democrat, is a member of the County Bar Association, the Sulphur Commercial Club, and is affiliated with Sulphur Camp No. 10403, of the Modern Woodmen of America, is past master of Sulphur Lodge No. 144, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, a member of Wyandotte Chapter No. 6, Royal Arch Masons, and is a fourteen degree Scottish Rite Mason in the Kansas City Consistory.
In Richmond, Virginia, in 1893, Mr. Broadbent married Miss Agnes B. Redd. Her father, now deceased, was J. H. Redd, a farmer. Their three children are: Wilson Redd, Howard Charles, both in the public schools, and Harry Hartwell.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]
Isaac Newton Brown, M. D.
A quarter century of continuous practice is sufficient to establish a claim as one of the pioneer physicians of the new State of Oklahoma. Doctor Brown, who since 1905 has been located at Davis, and is now president of the Murray County Medical Society, is a physician and surgeon of more than thirty years, and his work has been in old Indian Territory or Oklahoma since 1890, when he located at Ardmore. He was one of the leading physicians of that city until his removal to Davis in 1905.
Representing an old southern family, Doctor Brown was born in Selma, Alabama, October 14, 1860. Both his father and grandfather had important military records. His grandfather, Hitson Brown, was a native of Ireland, and on coming to America settled in Alabama. In 1837 he went to Texas, during the early days of the republic, and afterwards served as a soldier in the Mexican war. When he died at Big Sandy, Texas, in 1871, he was a little past a century in age. His career had been one of great activities and at one time he owned a large plantation and was an extensive stock raiser.
B. W. Brown, father of Doctor Brown, was born in the vicinity of Selma, Alabama, in 1828. He grew up in his native state and was a young man of recognized prominence in the community when the Civil war broke out. He became a captain in the First Alabama Regiment of Infantry and went through the entire war. During the first battle of Bull Run, while leading his company, he had seven bullet holes shot in his hat and his sabre was shot from his hand, but he sustained no bodily injuries. He also participated in the entire three days' battle at Gettysburg. In 1865, soon after the close of the war, Captain Brown removed to Longview, Gregg County, Texas, and lived there until his death in 1901. He was elected a representative to the first Texas Legislature after the war, and sat in that body for thirteen successive terms. During Governor Ireland's administration he was superintendent of the state penitentiary. His chief business was as a planter and rancher, and he owned several farms in Texas. He was also a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church South and naturally was identified with the democratic party. He also attained thirty-two degrees in Scottish Rite Masonry. Captain Brown married Nancy Cox, who was born in Alabama in 1835 and died at Longview, Texas, in 1908. Their children were: Mary, who married Tom Stinchcomb, a Texas farmer, and now deceased; Mattie became the wife of Thomas Carroll, formerly a real estate man at Longview, and they also are deceased; Emma, who lives at Longview, is the widow of Joe Boring, who was a merchant there; Oscar, whose home is at Marshall, Texas, is engineer on one of the fastest trains between Longview and Texarkana; the fifth in age is Doctor Brown of Davis, Oklahoma; Lula is the wife of Ed Crane, who has been a general merchant and is now a druggist at Longview; Walter lives at Houston, Texas, and has active charge of the House estate in and near that city; Mittie is the wife of Robert Bruce of Longview.
Dr. Isaac Newton Brown was born in the home of his parents at Selma, Alabama, October 14, 1860. He grew up at Longview, Texas, and was graduated from the Alexander Institute at Kilgore in Gregg County, A. B., in 1878. Then followed two years of clerical experience in a drug store at Longview, and from there he entered the Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville, where he was graduated M. D. in 1884. Before taking up private practice he served two years as interne in the City Charity Hospital at Louisville. Doctor Brown began practice in Bell County, Texas, in 1886 and remained there until his removal to Ardmore, Indian Territory, in 1890. In his long experience as a physician he has gradually contracted his practice and specializes largely in surgery, obstetrics and gynecology. He took special courses in 1903 in Tulane University at New Orleans. He is examining surgeon for the Phoenix Life, the American Life, the Bankers and the Oklahoma State Life Insurance companies at Davis, He is also a member of the State Medical Society and the American Medical Association, is affiliated with Lodge No. 120, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Davis, and with Cedar Camp No. 420, Woodmen of the World, at Davis. He and his family are members of the Christian Church.
At Longview, Texas, in 1885, soon after graduating in medicine, Doctor Brown married Miss Iris Boyd, a daughter of James Boyd, now deceased, who was a farmer and stockman. They had one child, Lynn, who died at Davis in 1908 at the age of twenty-two.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]
A particular interest always attaches to those careers which exemplify the quality of self-help. An example is found in the person of Frank Emanuel, who on March 3, 1915, was appointed by President Wilson as postmaster of Sulphur. Mr. Emanuel has not only been able to help himself in his struggle through the world, but as a boy he assumed many of the burdens and responsibilities in connection with the keeping of a family of younger children, and though he is now only twenty-eight years of age he has been a hard working man ever since he was twelve.
He was born in Cherokee County, Texas, November 22, 1887, a son of C. and Mary (Green) Emanuel. His grandfather, Simon Emanuel, was a native of Russia, came to America when a young man not many years alter the Revolutionary war, and located on the Pedee River in Marlborough County, South Carolina. He became successful as a merchant, planter and slave owner, and he died at Bennettsville, South Carolina, when about eighty-seven years of age. C. Emanuel, his son, was born in South Carolina in 1842, grew up in that state, and throughout the period of the war between the states was a Confederate soldier with a South Carolina regiment. In the battle of Brandy Station he was twice wounded, once through the hip and once through the shoulder, and in another battle of the war he was again wounded. Several years alter the close of the war in -1870 he moved to Cherokee County, Texas, where the rest of his life was spent as a merchant. He died in 1899 while on a sojourn for his health at Hot Springs, Arkansas. He was a member of the Masonic Fraternity, and though he had served with the Confederate army was a republican in politics, and served five years as postmaster of Jacksonville, Texas, under appointment from President McKinley. His first wife was Mary Ballew of Cherokee County, Texas. Her only daughter Amy is now deceased, and the only son, a half brother of the Sulphur postmaster, is Charles B. Emanuel, who has gained distinction as an Oklahoma lawyer, was a member of the second and third Oklahoma State Legislatures, being speaker pro tem in the Third Legislature, has also served as assistant county attorney, as mayor of Sulphur, and is a very prominent Oklahoma democrat. After the death of his first wife C. Emanuel married Mary C. Green, who was born in Camden, Arkansas in 1859, and now lives in Los Angeles, California. Her children are: Frank; Mrs. Shirley Zelle, wife of a broker at Hollywood, California; Esther, who married George Gray, who is employed as an electrician with the Western Union Telegraph Company at Los Angeles, California; Fannie, whose husband is wire chief for the Rocky Mountain Telephone Company, with residence at Pasadena, California; William McKinley who is also connected with the Rocky Mountain Telephone Company with residence at Pasadena; and Flora, who is unmarried and lives with her mother.
Frank Emanuel was about twelve years of age when his father died. Up to that time he had received the advantages of the public schools in Cherokee County, Texas. As he was the oldest of his mother's children, and there were five young brothers and sisters who by their father's death were left with very slender resources, he at once contributed his own labor to the family, and worked for several years at selling papers on the streets and in shining shoes. At the age of sixteen ho was taken into the railroad station at Jacksonville, Texas, as porter, and while working at that for thirteen months learned telegraphy and was then given a position as telegraph operator by the Cotton Belt Railroad Company. At the end of three years the confining work made inroads upon his health which caused him to resign, and he then went west to New Mexico and for a year was secretary for H. J. Simmons, general manager of the El Paso and Southwestern Railway Company, and another year was spent with the Copper Queen Mining Company. Alter returning East he was for three months in the superintendent's office of the Southern Pacific Railroad at Houston, Texas, and for two years was in the railroad superintendent's office at Dallas,
When Mr. Emanuel came to Sulphur, Oklahoma, in 1909 he helped reorganize the Chamber of Commerce of which he was made secretary, and for two years he handled most of the business of the Chamber. At the same time he had an office for the handling of general loans and insurance, and he continued actively in that line of business until appointed postmaster in 1915. He has prospered, owns his residence at Sulphur, and has a farm of 210 acres eight miles south of the town.
He is a member of the board of directors of the Sulphur Chamber of Commerce, is a democrat, a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church, and is affiliated with Sulphur Lodge No. 353, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, with Sulphur Lodge of Knights of Pythias, and with Sulphur Camp of the Woodmen of the World.
In 1910 at Sulphur he married Miss Kate Melson. Her father is J. A. Melson, a cotton merchant at Oklahoma City. One child was born to their marriage, Jack, on July 9, 1911. ["A standard history of Oklahoma", Volume 3, 1916; By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]
William Mosley, Jr.
One of the progressive young bankers and business men of Oklahoma, William Mosley, Jr., is cashier of the People's Bank of Hickory. His father William Mosley, Sr., is vice president of this institution, and the president is A. G. Adams, who is also president of the First National Bank of Ada. The bank is capitalized at $10, 000 and has surplus and undivided profits 01 $7, 500. The bank was established in 1904, and in 1908 became a state bank. A building was constructed for its use in 1907, but was burned in 1909, and the present bank building on Jefferson Street was erected in 1911.
Born in Troy, Mississippi, August 5, 1887, William Mosley, Jr., is a son of William and Mollie (Garrett) Mosley. His father was born in Bedford County, Tennessee, in 1854, and his mother near Troy, Mississippi, in 1855. The Mosleys were Scotch-Irish people who settled in Tennessee in very early times. William, Sr., was reared in the vicinity of Okolona, Mississippi, and after his marriage moved to Troy, a place not very far distant from Okolona. In October, 1887, he went to Love Station, twenty miles below Memphis, and in 1891 to Houston, Mississippi. In 1900 he came to Davis, Oklahoma, and in the same year moved to Hickory, where he became one of the pioneer merchants. He has been engaged in the mercantile business for the past thirty-five years. While living at Houston, Mississippi, he served as town marshal and for four years has been a member of the school board at Hickory. He is a democrat, a member of the Baptist Church and is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and the Woodmen of the World. His children are: Pearl, wife of Dr. B. F. McNeil of Swifttown, Mississippi; Zach T., who is a partner with his father in business at Hickory'; Wade H., a partner in the same business; William, Jr.; and Annie, bookkeeper for the mercantile firm of Mosleys.
The early education of Mr. Mosley was acquired in the common schools at Houston and the high school at Okolona from which he graduated in 1903. For two years he attended college at Paris, Texas, and in 1905, at the age of eighteen found a position as clerk in the store of his uncle J. B. Mosley at Hickory, Indian Territory, for two years. Then in association with his father, and his two brothers Zach and Wade, he bought out the general store of J. B. Mosley and the business has since been continued by other members of the family. In 1906 William Mosley, Jr., left the firm and went to Draughon's Business College at Denison, Texas, and finishing the course was bookkeeper for the Mosley mercantile house until February, 1913. He then bought an interest in the People's Bank of Hickory, and has since been not only cashier but active manager in full charge of the institution.
In politics he is a democrat, is a member of the Baptist Church, belongs to the Oklahoma State Bankers Association, and is affiliated with Camp No. 236, Woodmen of the World, at Hickory.
On December 1, 1910, at Hickory, he married Miss Cora Lee Mitchell, daughter of J. P. Mitchell, a farmer at Hickory. They are the parents of two children: Jack, born January 27, 1912; and Malcolm, born November 6, 1913.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]
George M. Nicholson
spent his early youth as a farmer boy in Kansas. When he was fifteen years of age he decided that he had about exhausted the advantages of the common schools and started out to earn his own living. For several years he worked at monthly wages, chiefly as a farm hand, and finally began industriously reading law in the office of Thomas Berry at Ness City, Kansas. The keen comprehension which enabled him to master the various legal subjects and secure his admission to the Kansas bar in 1894, when a little past nineteen years of age, has been a dominant characteristic in his subsequent career as a lawyer.
At Ness City he engaged in practice from the time of his admission until 1898. From 1898 to 1903 Mr. Nicholson was a resident of Lincoln, Nebraska. In the latter year he came to Oklahoma and located at Sulphur, where he was one of the early members of the bar and has since enjoyed a distinctive share in the work of the local courts and in a large amount of responsible business entrusted to his care. Among other clients he represents as general attorney the Union Savings Association for the State of Oklahoma.
His grandfather, Jacob Nicholson, was a Kansas Territory pioneer, having gone to that state during the virulent stages of the conflict over the free soil territory which preceded and introduced the Civil war. He was born in Ohio in 1822 and located in Kansas in 1855. After farming there for a number of years he moved out to Portland, Oregon, where he lived retired until his death in 1907. The first American representative of the Nicholsons came from Scotland and settled in Pennsylvania during the Revolution.
George M. Nicholson was born in Riley county, Kansas, May 30, 1874. His father, George E. Nicholson, was born near Carthage, Missouri, in 1850, but grew up in Kansas, where he married Ida Carpenter, who was born near Muscatine, Iowa, in 1855. A few years before the birth of George M. Nicholson the family removed to Riley County, Kansas. George E. Nicholson was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church and filled various pulpits in the State of Kansas. In 1904 he came to Sulphur, Oklahoma, and has since been retired from the ministry and now lives at Sulphur. He also took an active part in public affairs in Kansas, and at one time served as probate judge of Ness County. In politics he is a republican. There were four children. George M; Mate, who is unmarried and is assistant cashier of the Bank of Commerce at Sulphur; Kate, who lives with her parents; and Helen a teacher in the public schools at Sulphur.
George M. Nicholson acquired his early education in the public schools of Kansas. Prior to statehood he served a time as city attorney of Sulphur but has never aspired to official distinction, and has given his time to the law and his varied business affairs. He owns about 2, 000 acres of farm land, situated in Murray, Bryan, Pontotoc, Carter and Johnston counties, and owns a comfortable residence on Fourth Street and Wynnewood Avenue in Sulphur. He is a member of the Murray County Bar Association and is now vice president of the Oklahoma State Bar Association. Politically he is a republican.
In 1903 at Tecumseh, Oklahoma, he married Miss Julia Sheldon of Trinidad, Colorado.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]
John Newton Ryan, M. D.
The first or certainly one of the first physicians and surgeons to locate in the community of Sulphur was Dr. John Newton Ryan, who did his first practice in that locality fully twenty years ago. Doctor Ryan has not lived continuously at Sulphur, but for a number of years was an early physician and also a homesteader at Frederick, but has now returned to Sulphur and enjoys an extensive general practice there. He is a physician of fully thirty-five years' experience, and did his first work in the profession in Indian Territory, so that there are few medical men of the present State of Oklahoma whose position as pioneer doctors is based upon a wider and longer experience.
An Alabama man by birth, John Newton Ryan was born in Morgan County, January 28, 1852, a son of W. S. and Mahala (Oden) Ryan. His ancestors came originally from Ireland and settled in Virginia in colonial times, and the Odeus were of similar origin and early settlement in America. W. S. Ryan was born in Northern Alabama in 1814 and was reared and married there. In 1870 he moved to Texas, locating at Paris, and in 1875 went to Red River Valley of Northern Texas, and acquired a tract of school land in the vicinity of Henrietta, where he followed stock raising for five years. In 1880 he moved to Jimtown, Indian Territory, but about three years later returned to Texas and lived in Montague until his death in 1899. Most of his career was spent as a farmer and stock man, though he had stores at Jimtown and Montague. He was a democrat and an active member of the Primitive Baptist Church. His wife was born in Northern Alabama in 1861 and died at Montague, Texas, in 1901. They became the parents of a large family of children, tan in number, noted briefly as follows: Annie, who died in infancy, Mary, first married Redman Roberts, who was a farmer and lost his life while a Confederate soldier during the war, and she is now living at Sulphur Oklahoma, the widow of W. T. Nations, who was a stockman; W. J. Ryan is now retired and living with his brother, Doctor Ryan; Nancy is deceased; Doctor Ryan is the fifth in order of birth; Cynthia Annie, living at Sulphur, is the widow of J. M. Webster, who was a merchant at Sulphur until his death in 1913; C. T. was a merchant and died at Ardmore, Oklahoma; J. A. is a real estate owner living at Oklahoma City; G. L. died at Manitou, Oklahoma, where he was a physician and surgeon; Ellen is the wife of Charles Hall, living at Altus, Oklahoma, where Mr. Hall for a number of years was a merchant but recently took up the business of traveling salesman.
John Newton Ryan acquired his early education in his native state and lived on his father's farm until eighteen years of age. About that time his father came to Texas, and after some experience as a mercantile clerk took up the study of medicine and continued it until admitted to practice in 1880. In that year he came into Indian Territory and located at Lebanon, in which community he had his home and practice until moving to Sulphur in 1895. In both places he did much of the work of the pioneer. He quickly established himself in the confidence of the people as a skillful and conscientious physician, and he answered calls which necessitated riding for many miles over the rough and sparsely settled districts, and there are few members of the Oklahoma medical fraternity who have done a larger share of the really hard work of their profession than Doctor Ryan.
In 1901 Doctor Ryan left Sulphur and went to the new town of Frederick at the opening of that section of Southwestern Oklahoma to settlement. He drew a homestead of 160 acres, and lived on it long enough to prove his claim. Five years later he sold out, but continued to practice in Frederick until 1911, when he removed to Wellington, Oklahoma, for eight months, and in 1912 again located at Sulphur. Here his offices are in the Mcadoes Building and he has a fine practice. He also enjoys a high standing among his fellow physicians, and is a member of the County and State Medical societies and the American Medical Association. He owns a comfortable residence in Sulphur. Fraternally he is identified with the Woodmen of the World, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Sulphur Lodge No 144, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, and Frederick Chapter, Royal Arch Masons. In politics he is a democrat.
At Lebanon, Indian Territory, in 1880, soon after going to that community as a young physician, he married Miss Mattie L. Duncan. Her father was the late M. M. Duncan, a farmer and stockman. Doctor and Mrs. Ryan have a fine family of eight children: James L., who has taken three courses in medicine at the Forth Worth University and one course at the Memphis Hospital Medical College in Tennessee, and is now practicing at Nebo, Oklahoma; Blanche, who died in childhood; W. M., a farmer, and living with his father; Maude, who died young; Alice, wife of W. C. Ryman, a farmer and stockman at Manitou, Oklahoma; Charles E., a grocer at San Antonio, Texas; John B., a student in the Sulphur High School; and Ruth, who is in the public schools at Sulphur.
[Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Submitted by Barb Ziegenmeyer]
Ralph Inman Rawlings
Though one of the youngest members of the Oklahoma bar, Ralph I. Rawlings of Sulphur during his two years of practice has made a somewhat notable record, especially in the field of criminal law.
Ralph Inman Rawlings is himself a native of Tennessee, born at Sevier County October 4, 1892. His father, M. S. Rawlings was born in the same Tennessee County in 1870 and is now living at Sulphur, Oklahoma. He was reared and married in Sevier County, moved to Montague County, Texas, in 1897, but in the course of the same year located in Sulphur, then Indian Territory. He has had a very active part in politics in this part of Oklahoma, and is now serving his third successive term as sheriff of Murray County. He is an active democrat, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and is affiliated with Sulphur Lodge No. 353, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and with Sulphur Camp. Sheriff Rawlings married Miss Florence Ferguson, who was born in Sevier County, Tennessee, in 1873. Ralph I. Rawlings is the oldest of their four children; Roy is a senior in the high school at Sulphur; Allie May is a junior in the high school; and B. Eugene is in the eighth grade of the public schools.
Ralph I. Rawlings graduated from the Sulphur High School with the class of 1908. During the following year he was associated with his father in the contracting business at Oklahoma City. The next year was spent as a student in the Agricultural and Mechanical College at Stillwater, Oklahoma, followed by three years in the University of Oklahoma at Norman, where he took the scientific course the first year and after that applied himself diligently to the study of law. He was admitted to the Oklahoma bar in 1913, and has since been located at Sulphur. His offices are in the Weems Building.
He has done much as a democratic worker, and is chairman of the Young Men's Democratic League of Murray County. He belongs to the college fraternities Kappa Alpha, and the Theta Nu Epsilon, and is also a member of Pauls Valley Lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and of Norman Camp of the Woodmen of the World. He is a member of the Legal Committee of the Commercial Club.
In June, 1915, at Sulphur he married Miss Louie Moore, whose father is Dr. H. A. Moore, a physician and surgeon at Clinton, Oklahoma.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]
DR. JOHN G. SHARP. The settlement of the great West is one of the most romantic chapters in the history of this country and is full of interesting events, many of which have happened within comparatively recent years. This is especially true of the young and flourishing State of Oklahoma, which at no distant date was occupied almost entirely by the Indian nations, the few white men being chiefly adventurers who roamed from place to place, having no abiding interest in the land. The advent of the white man caused a change in all the material conditions, but even the first permanent settlers had many interesting experiences, sometimes not devoid of danger. Probably Indian characteristics were revealed more clearly to the white doctors who first practiced among them than to any other class of white emigrants, as the doctor, from the nature of his profession, came into closer personal contact with the red man. One of these early medical practitioners was Dr. John G. Sharp, who for seventeen years followed his profession in the Chickasaw country and can relate many interesting anecdotes of his Indian patients.
Doctor Sharp was born in Wood County, Texas, in 1871, a son of John and Mary (Coker) Sharp. His paternal grandfather died while en route to Texas from Alabama. The Rev. E. G. Sharp, a missionary Baptist preacher at Mineola, Texas, who has been in the ministry in Texas since 1861, is an uncle of Doctor Sharp. John Sharp, the Doctor's father, was born in Alabama and became a pioneer settler of Wood County, Texas, buying there 1,000 acres of fine timbered land at one dollar an acre. The country was then unsettled and unfenced and he and others of the family made expeditions over a large area of that region. Where the City of Greenville now stands-a city having a population of about 9,000 people-they were offered land at seventy-five cents an acre. The elder Sharp helped to survey and cut the principal road between Quinton, Wood County, and Sulphur Springs, Hopkins, County, Texas.
Doctor Sharp's mother's parents were from Louisiana and settled in Texas at an early day. His maternal grandfather, while building a fence at the age of eighty-six, was thrown from a wagon and killed.
Dr. John G. Sharp acquired his elementary education in the public schools of Texas. After being fairly well advanced in his studies he applied himself to leave the profession of medicine and in due time successfully passed an examination before the State Medical Board of Texas. Before this, however, in 1897, he had already begun to practice, his first practical experience being in Dolberg, Indian Territory, where he remained three years. He then took a course of lectures at Fort Worth University, where he was graduated in 1905. Returning to Indian Territory, he located at Iona, in what is now Murray County. There he resided for eleven years, at the end of which time he came to Mill Creek, his present location, of which place he has now been a resident for four years.
Doctor Sharp came into professional contact with the Indians from the time he began practice in Dolberg. Once a full blood Indian near the place fell out with his doctor, who was a halfblood, discharged him and sent for Doctor Sharp. The fullblood's wife had given him a dose of calomel and sent him into the field on a rainy afternoon to gather corn, the result being that the Indian was salivated, and that very malignantly. Doctor Sharp's examination showed the need of a mouth wash. This the Indian used intelligently, but it proved ineffective as a cure. The third day the Doctor saw that something heroic must be done. He mixed turpentine and carbolic acid in a mouth wash and gave it to the Indian. The latter was driven nearly mad with pain and rolled in agony on the floor Before the attack was over he announced to the Doctor that if this didn't relieve him he would kill the Doctor, and called to his wife to hand him his short gun that he might make good his threat. Doctor Sharp knew his business, however, and the Indian did not find it necessary to shoot. On another occasion an Indian had congestion of the stomach. Doctor Sharp prescribed but the Indian wouldn't take the medicine. Three times a day for two days the Doctor visited him without results because of the Indian's contrariness. At length Doctor Sharp administered a hypodermic injection and later another one. This frightened the Indian and he called for his gun. He feared that the Doctor was picking for him an easy way to the happy hunting grounds. When a third injection was threatened the Indian resolved to try the taking of medicine.
Doctor Sharp is city physician of Mill Creek. He belongs to the county and state medical associations, also to the Masonic order, the Woodmen of the World and Woodmen Circle Lodges and to the Baptist Church. In 1890, at Whitman, Texas, Doctor Sharp was married to Miss Nancy Kitchens, who died three years later. He was again married in 1894, at Iona, Indian Territory, to Miss Emma Dismukes. They have five children, the eldest, Arthur, aged seventeen, being a son of the deceased Mrs. Sharp. The others are: Alma, aged thirteen, Lona, aged nine, Cordie, aged five and Rudy, aged one year. The Doctor and his family have a pleasant and comfortable residence in Mill Creek, of which place he is one of the best known and most highly respected citizens. (A Standard History of Oklahoma, by Joseph B. Thoburn, 1916, transcribed by Jan Grant)
Richard Edwin Smith
Richard Edwin Smith, who holds a law degree from the University of Wisconsin, spent five years in the practice of his profession in the new State of Oklahoma, and in that time gained a large acquaintance over the state and s till has many firm and loyal friends here.
On coming to Oklahoma in March, 1910, Mr. Smith located at Davis, where he formed a law partnership with his brother-in-law Senator C. B. Kendrick, later president of the Oklahoma State Senate. Mr. Smith continued in active practice at Davis until January 9, 1915, when he moved to Oklahoma City and opened a law office in that city. On the first of July, 1915, he dispose of his Oklahoma interests, since his health would not permit of his remaining in Oklahoma and having gone back to his old home state of Wisconsin he has resumed his work in Journalism, in which he had made a name and reputation for himself before moving to the Southwest.
Richard E. Smith was born at Elmira, Benzie County, Michigan, January 9, 1877, a son of James and Anna (Wright) Smith, the former a native of Sullivan, Wisconsin, and the latter of the State of Vermont. Soon after his birth is parents moved to New Lisbon, Wisconsin, and there he was given the advantages of a good public school training. In 1895 he graduated from the high school at Glenwood, Wisconsin, and then entered the University of Wisconsin, where he graduated LL. B. in 1900. His father was a lawyer, and the son on leaving university entered the senior smith’s office as partner at Phillips, Wisconsin. A year later the firm opened an office at Park Falls, Wisconsin, with Richard E. in active charge. It was at Park Falls that Mr. Smith began his career in the newspaper business and politics. He bought the Park Falls Herald, of which he became editor in time to take issue with the other papers of the county and espouse the cause of Robert M. LaFollette, whom he admired for his gallant fight against corporations and the old republican machine of the state. It was a hot state campaign, but in spite of the machine opposition and despite the most tempting overtures made to thwart his course, Mr. Smith succeeded in giving LaFollette his county by an overwhelming majority.
As a result of the LaFollette victory in the state and in fitting recognition of Mr. Smith’s ardent support throughout the campaign, the young editor was at once recognized by the incoming administration in appointment as assistant attorney general of Wisconsin by the principal of that office, Hon. L. M. Sturdevant. After ably filling the position for two years and five months, he resigned to indulge again in a newspaper venture at Galesville. Here he again championed the forces marshaled by the indomitable LaFollette. As head of the Galesville Independent Mr. Smith threw his whole would into the work of the campaign, but then sold his interest in the paper and removed to Tomah, Wisconsin, and resumed the general practice of law. It was from Tomah that he went to Oklahoma in the spring of 1910.
After leaving Oklahoma Mr. Smith went back to his old home at Park Falls, Wisconsin, and there founded another and second newspaper, the Park Falls Independent. He is now member of the firm of Smith & Fuller, printers and publishers at Park Falls. The first volume of the Park Falls Independent was issued September 15, 1915.
Mr. Smith has always been an ardent lover of fine harness horses and has raised and kept several horses with a high class record. He is a Knight Templar Mason, and is a past master of Tyre Lodge No. 42 at Davis, Oklahoma. He also served as District Deputy Grand Master of Oklahoma under Grand Master Charles E. Reeder and Grand Master William P. Freeman. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
At Mondovi, Wisconsin, Mr. Smith married Miss Georgina Baker, daughter of George W. and Eulalia (Sholts) Baker of that city. Her father was a direct descendant of Gen. Ethan Allen of Fort Ticonderoga fame, his mother being an Allen. The military spirit of the old hero seems to have been passed down, as George Baker served during the Civil War in the Union ranks until he lost his arm at Petersburg, when he was honorably discharged. His wife’s only brother, Wilson Sholts, marched with the forces of General Sherman to the sea. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have three children: Georgina, born March 12, 1903; Wilson James, born April 23, 1912; and Richard Edwin, Jr., born September 19, 1913.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Sandra Stutzman]
Robert E. West
The little City of Davis has one of the best equipped modern schoolhouses in the state, completed in 1909. At this writing there is being constructed an addition in the form of an auditorium which will contain a thousand seats.
In the fall of 1912 Robert E. West became superintendent of schools of Davis. Mr. West is one of Oklahoma's younger educators, a man of thorough experience as a school administrator and teacher, and his work is also characterized by an initiative and originality which make him invaluable to any community which he serves. All members of his high school faculty are college graduates, while the teachers in the grades are graduates of normal schools. Mr. West has under his supervision a corps of 14 teachers, 115 high school pupils enrolled and 400 students in the grades.
Out of the fruits of his experience as an educator Mr. West has devised and invented a complete system of high school records, for which application for patent has been filed. This is known as "The Complete and Permanent Record of the High School Pupil." It consists of four parts. Part 1 is called enrollment and classification; part 2 is classed record book; part 3, a report to parents; and part 4, loose leaf ledger. All of it is designed to correlate in plan and idea, first, the courses carried by the pupils; second, the daily record of grades made by the pupils; third, the period averages at the end of each six weeks; and fourth, the semester grades at the end of each semester. The report card is a report only of the average grade taken from the class book and sent to the parents. The ledger contains the summarized semester class grades and examination grades made by the pupils. These are carried into an average column and designated as a pupil's credit grade. Each page contains the name, residence and date of entrance of the pupil, and shows all the semester grades made by the pupil during the four years he has been in school. In fact, it is a complete history, semester by semester, and year by year, of the high school pupil.
Though nearly all his brief career has been spent in Oklahoma, Robert E. West is a native of Missouri and was born at Linneus, in Linn County, June 6, 1885. His father is M. E. West, who was born at Decatur, Illinois. in 1855, was reared partly in that state and partly in Missouri, and was married at Linneus to Mattie Bello Kirby, who was born there in I860. M. E. West is an original pioneer of Oklahoma Territory, having gone to Guthrie in 1889. In 1891 he moved to Lincoln County and lived there until 1901 and has since lived in Hinton, in this state. He has been very successful in his business career, and has followed farming and stock raising, banking, and still owns a large amount of farm lands. At Hinton he is secretary of the Methodist Episcopal Church, is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the Brotherhood of American Yeomen and the Modern Woodmen of America. As a democrat he has served as a state committeeman. He and his wife are the parents of five children: L. L. West, who is a hardware and implement dealer at Hydro, Oklahoma; Lessie, wife of E. I. Heuston, a capitalist and farmer at Hinton, Oklahoma; Professor West; Chester E., a farmer at Hydro; and Anna Maye, senior in the Hinton High School.
Robert E. West attended the public schools in Eastern Oklahoma, and as part of his early career had six years of work and experience on a farm. In 1901 he entered the Southwestern State Normal School at Weatherford and he taught his first school in 1908-09 at Cement. He was again in the Southwestern Normal, where he was graduated in 1910 with a certificate for life. He is now preparing for the degree M. Ped. from the Missouri State University. The two years 1910-11 and 1911-12 were spent as superintendent of schools at Sentinel, and in the fall of 1912 he came to Davis. He is an active member of the County and State Teachers Association.
In politics he is a democrat. At Davis he is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, is a church trustee and assistant superintendent of the Sunday School. He is affiliated with Tyre Lodge No. 42, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons at Davis; Ivanhoe Lodge No. 116, Knights of Pythias; and Lucretia Camp No. 10206, Modern Woodmen of America. He is a past venerable consul.
At Oklahoma City in 1910 Mr. West married Miss Eva Belle Dinsmore. Her father, J. W. Dinsmore, is a farmer at Lookeba, Oklahoma. To their marriage was born July 10, 1911, a son, Devert Wallace.
Copyright © Genealogy Trails