Oklahoma County, Oklahoma
Biographies 3



GRANT STANLEY
With all of consistency may Mr. Stanley be designated not only as one of the prominent representatives of the legal profession in Oklahoma but also as one of the intensely loyal and public-spirited citizens of the progressive young commonwealth with which he has cast in his lot. He has been specially influential in the furtherance of enterprises for the proper drainage of otherwise virtually waste lands in the state and has accomplished much along this line besides being an enthusiastic promoter of further activities and undertakings with the same purpose in view. Mr. Stanley has a well established and important law business and is engaged in practice at Oklahoma City, with offices at 302 Patterson Building.
Mr. Stanley claims the fine old Hoosier State as the place of his nativity and is a scion of a family for many generations one of not a little prominence and influence in England, where the Stanley genealogy is traced back to the tenth century. The first representative or representatives of the family in America came to the New World in 1635 and made settlement in the patrician old Virginia colony, whence members of a later generation removed to North Carolina, the name having been closely linked with the civic and material history of those and other states of the Union.
Grant Stanley was born at Richmond, the judicial center of Wayne County, Indiana, on the 9th of February, 1865, and is a son of John T. and Mary (Robbins) Stanley. John T. Stanley was born and reared in North Carolina and continued his residence in the South until the climacteric period that found its culmination in the Civil war, when he removed to the North, his sympathies having been with the Union, as he believed the policy of secession to be intrinsically and fundamentally wrong.
He established his residence in Indiana and became one of the duly prosperous farmers of Wayne County, where he continued his residence until 1867, when he removed with his family to Kansas and became one of the pioneer settlers and agriculturists of the Sunflower State. In 1886 he came to Oklahoma and became a pioneer of Beaver County-a region that was at that time designated, and with no little consistency, as No Man's Land. He developed one of the early ranches in that section and his energy and good judgment enabled him to achieve definite success and prosperity, the while he became one of the well known and influential pioneers of what is now a prosperous commonwealth. Now seventy-eight years of age (1915), he is living virtually retired in the attractive Village of Arcadia, Oklahoma County, and his venerable wife, who is likewise a native of North Carolina, is his devoted companion in the gracious twilight of their long and useful lives.
Grant Stanley may well be considered a true son of the great West, as he was a child of about two years at the time of the family removal from Indiana to Kansas, where he was reared to adult age under the conditions and influences of the pioneer farm and where he continued his studies in the public schools until he had completed the curriculum of the high school. At Douglas, Kansas, he studied law under the preceptorship of Judge Edward H. Hutchins, and in 1885 he was there admitted to the bar. Thereafter he was engaged in the practice of his profession at Garden City, that state, until 1889, the year which marked the opening of the new Territory of Oklahoma to settlement, when he joined the influx of new settlers and established his residence at Guthrie, the territorial capital. He thus became one of the pioneer members of the Oklahoma bar and after remaining in practice at Guthrie about eighteen months he removed to Oklahoma City, where he has since continued his professional endeavors with unequivocal success and where he has been identified with much important litigation, under both the territorial and state governments. Mr. Stanley was "an enthusiastic and zealous worker in connection with the movement that resulted in the admission of Oklahoma as one of the sovereign states of the Union, and his co-operations have been freely given in the furtherance of those measures and enterprises that have tended to advance the social and material progress and prosperity of the state.
Mr. Stanley's association with drainage projects and enterprises in Oklahoma has been one marked by much progressiveness and circumspection, with the result that he has exerted definite influence in the furtherance of reclamation measures through this important medium. He was the promoter of the Deep Fork Drainage District, and is legal representative of the same, as is he also attorney for the Lincoln County Drainage District. Within these two districts was instituted the first work of scientific and systematic drainage in the state and through the carrying forward of the work a large area of otherwise worthless land has become eligible for agricultural purposes and been made productive and valuable. Though he has had no vaulting ambition for the honors and emoluments of political office, Mr. Stanley has manifested a lively and effective public spirit and his allegiance is given to the progressive party.
In Oklahoma City, in 1898, was recorded the marriage of Mr. Stanley to Miss Ida Thurston, daughter of William A. Thurston, a pioneer farmer and highly esteemed citizen of Oklahoma County, to which locality he came in the territorial days. Mr. Thurston is a native of Maine and a representative of a staunch old colonial family of New England. Mr. and Mrs. Stanley have two daughters, Blanche and Marie, and the family home, a center of gracious hospitality, is an attractive residence at 2306 West Seventeenth Street.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]


JAMES S. TWYFORD
That a young man still in his early thirties should have been able to display such marked abilities as to obtain a foremost position among the leading lawyers of Oklahoma City evidences beyond fear of question the possession of great and unusual faculties and talents; that such a position has been attained through individual effort and without the aid of outside influences makes this record a still more noteworthy one. James S. Twyford, to whom the foregoing refers, one of Oklahoma City's leading legists and at various times the incumbent of high and responsible official positions, was born at Florence, Marion County, Kansas, June 17, 1883, the youngest son of Samuel B. and Lucy (French) Twyford, and a descendant, on the paternal side, of an old Welsh family.
Samuel B. Twyford was born at Terre Haute, Indiana, and as a youth went to Illinois, where, when but fourteen years of age, he succeeded in enlisting in an Illinois volunteer regiment for service in the Union army during the Civil war. Although but a lad, his ingenuity, courage and activity commended him for scout duty, and in this capacity he acted throughout the period of warfare. At the close of hostilities he went to Mississippi, where he married and for a number of years was a planter, but later returned to Illinois and subsequently removed to Kansas, settling in Marion County, where he engaged in farming. When Oklahoma was opened to settlement, he made the run, was successful, and located a homestead in the vicinity of Waterloo, Oklahoma County, where he continued to be engaged in farming until the time of his death, in 1899.
Mrs. Lucy (French) Twyford was born in Ohio, but was reared in Greene County, Illinois, whence she was taken as a child. She was given good educational advantages, and after her graduation from the Illinois State Normal School, at Bloomington, Illinois, entered upon a career in teaching which was remarkable in many respects, covering a period of thirty years in various sections of the country. After the close of the war between the North and South, Mrs. Twyford went to Mississippi, where she became the teacher of the first free school in the state for negroes, and was thus engaged when the notorious Ku-Klux Klan began its operations. This organization, said to have been founded in 1866, at Pulaski, Tennessee, originally for purposes of amusement only, soon developed into an association of "regulators" and became widely known for the deeds of violence committed in its name, particularly in the determined struggle to withhold from the emancipated slaves the right of franchise. Mrs. Twyford fell under the ban of this organization as one who was trying to instill knowledge into the minds of the blacks and she was accordingly ordered to close her school. This she did, but for only one day, July 4th, when she left the county, but the following day reopened her school and courageously continued to teach there until the close of the regular school year. Mrs. Twyford accompanied her husband to Oklahoma in 1889 and continued to be prominently identified with school matters, being the first principal of the first public school at Edmond, Oklahoma County, and a member of a committee which wrote the first school laws for the first Territorial Legislature in 1890, and which laws were so admirably prepared that they still exist, with some slight modifications to meet present conditions. A regularly ordained minister of the Congregational Church, this remarkable woman built and was pastor of the churches at Deer Creek, Bethel and Victory, all located in Oklahoma County. She reared two sons and two daughters to sturdy, self-reliant man and womanhood, educating them herself and preparing them for the positions in life which they have since been called upon to fill. She still survives, being seventy-two years of age.
James S. Twyford received his literary training under the inspiring preceptorship of his mother, and then, turning his attention to the law, became a student at Washburn College, Topeka, Kansas, where he was graduated in 1906, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. During his law course he worked as a typesetter and at journalistic labors, in order to pay the expenses of his studies, and before being regularly admitted to the bar was appointed assistant city attorney of Topeka, thus early evidencing the abilities and talents that have since carried him to high position. At the time of his graduation, in June, 1906, he resigned his official position and at once came to Oklahoma City, where he was admitted to the Oklahoma bar and at the same time made assistant city attorney of Oklahoma City under Edward E. Reardon. His incumbency of this office was made notable by the prosecution of many murder cases, prominent among which was the notorious Mingle case, which attracted widespread attention. He resigned his office in 1908 and the same year was elected city attorney, on the republican ticket, serving not only the full term of two years but a period under the new commissioners, and then entering general practice. In 1911 he was the republican candidate for mayor of Oklahoma City. While city attorney, he originated, instituted and prosecuted until a final decision, the "Telephone Refund Case, " which resulted in declaring the rate provisions void and the refund of $61, 000 to the telephone subscribers. This action he started while city attorney, but after he had left that office remained in the case without remuneration until its final adjustment. Mr. Twyford also took the lead in the charter litigation, which resulted in the present form of commission government being declared constitutional, and from that time has given the greater part of his attention to constitutional and municipal law, in which branches of his profession he has no superior in the city and probably none in the state. His high standing has been evidenced on various occasions by his appointment as special judge in the Superior and County courts in special cases.
Mr. Twyford is a thirty-second degree, A. & A. S. R. Mason, and belongs to Oklahoma City Lodge, No. 36, A. F. & A. M.; Oklahoma Consistory, Valley of Guthrie; and India Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He also holds membership in the Knights of Pythias, the 1889ers' Association and the Oklahoma City Men's Dinner Club. With his family, he attends the Congregational Church. In a professional way, he is connected with the Oklahoma County Bar Association, of which he was secretary from 1907 to 1911, and in 1912 and 1913 vice president, and with the American Bar Association.
In September, 1912, Mr. Twyford was married to Miss Gladys A. Frees, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L. S. Frees, of Minnesota. She is a graduate in domestic science from St. Antony's Park University, a branch of the University of Minnesota, and taught domestic science in the graded and high schools of Oklahoma City for several years preceding her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Twyford have a daughter, Aileen Margret, born November 8, 1914. The family home is at No. 1821 West Park Place, Oklahoma City.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]


PHILIP E. WINTER
Many of the older states of the Union have contributed to the personnel of the bar of Oklahoma, and the representative lawyer whose name initiates this review claims Illinois as the state of his nativity, passed his childhood and youth in Iowa, and came to Oklahoma from Washington, D. C., where he had served for eight years as an assistant attorney in the office of the assistant attorney-general for the department of the interior. Mr. Winter is engaged in the successful practice of his profession in Oklahoma City, where he maintains his offices at 616 Terminal Building, and he has been a resident of this city since the autumn of 1910.
Philip Ernst Winter was born in the City of Chicago, Illinois, on the 1st of November, 1859, and is a son of Wilhelm and Wilhelmina (Fiegenbaum) Winter, both natives of Germany. In 1844, shortly before the memorable exodus of the refugees of the German revolution to America was instituted, Wilhelm Winter's parents immigrated to the United States, accompanied by all of their children except their eldest son, and the family disembarked in the City of New Orleans, whence the voyage was continued up the Mississippi River to St. Louis, and settlement was made in Warren County, Missouri. Wilhelm Winter was a young man at the time of the family immigration to America and it was soon afterward his privilege to give significant assurance of his loyalty to the land of his adoption, -a country that has had much to gain from its valuable German element of citizenship, both in past and present generations. Early in 1846 Wilhelm Winter tendered his services as a soldier in the Mexican war. In the City of St. Louis he enlisted in a cavalry regiment of volunteers, and soon afterward proceeded with his command to the stage of polemic activities. He was with his regiment in the command of Gen. Winfield Scott when that gallant leader entered the City of Mexico, and he took part in various engagements marking the progress of the conflict between the United States and Mexico, his service having continued until the close of the war.
After victory had crowned the arms of the United States, Mr. Winter, a youthful veteran of the war, returned to his home in Warren County, Missouri, in which state he remained until 1852, when he immigrated to Iowa and became one of the pioneer settlers of Louisa County, .where he had been granted a tract of government land in recognition of his services in the Mexican war. He vigorously instituted the reclamation of this land and continued his activities as one of the pioneer farmers of the Hawkeye State until 1856, when he severed his association with the great basic industry of agriculture and, with characteristic zeal and ability, prepared himself for the ministry of the German Methodist Episcopal Church, as a clergyman of which denomination he labored with all of consecrated devotion and fruitful results for a quarter of a century, his first charge having been Rock Island, Illinois, and his last, Davenport, Iowa. He was a man of broad intellectual ken and lofty ideals, the sincere friend of humanity, and his gracious and kindly personality drew to him the staunchest of friends and the confidence and esteem of all who come within the sphere of his influence. He died at Davenport, Iowa, in 1882, and his memory shall be held in lasting honor through his effective services as a soldier of his adopted country and of the church militant.
Mrs. Wilhelmina (Fiegenbaum) Winter proved a devoted wife and helpmeet to her husband and was ever earnest in her co-operation in and sympathy with his zealous labors in the uplifting of humanity. She was but an infant at the time of her parents' immigration from Germany to America, in 1833, and here she was reared and educated. This noble woman, now venerable in years, maintains her home at South Omaha, Nebraska, with her youngest daughter, who is principal of one of the public schools of that city.
Philip E. Winter acquired his early education in the pioneer schools of Iowa and in pursuance of higher .academic discipline he finally was matriculated in the Iowa Wesleyan University, at Mount Pleasant, in which institution he was graduated in 1878, with the degree of bachelor of arts, and from which he later received, in 1881, the degree of master of arts, the intervening period having been by him devoted to successful work as a teacher in the public schools: he taught one year in a district school in Logan County. Illinois, and two years in the grade schools at Beardstown, that state. In consonance with his ambition and well formulated plans for his future career, Mr. Winter then entered the Union College of Law in the City of Chicago, and in this institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1883. of which Hon. William Jennings Bryan likewise was a member, and he duly received his well earned degree of bachelor of laws. Mr. Winter may consistently be designated a natural student, and is known for his high academic and professional attainments and for his keen appreciation of the best literature of general and professional order.
On the 1st of November, 1883, Mr. Winter entered upon his professional novitiate by engaging in practice at Wymore, Gage County, Nebraska, where he built up a substantial law business and where he served three terms as city attorney. He continued to be numbered among the leading members of the bar of Gage County until April, 1891, when he entered a broader field of endeavor by removing to the City of Omaha, where his ability and insistent devotion to the work of his profession gained to him a large and representative clientage. He remained a valued and popular member of the Omaha liar for ten years, and within this period served four years as deputy county attorney, besides having given effective service as a member of the board of education of the Nebraska metropolis.
Mr. Winter continued his successful professional labors at Omaha until in August, 1900, when he was appointed as assistant to the United States attorney general for the Interior Department and removed to the national capital, where he served as a legal representative of the Department of the Interior until 1910, when he retired from his government post. In November of that year Mr. Winter came to Oklahoma and established his residence at Oklahoma City, where he has since held high vantage ground as one of the representative members of the bar of the new commonwealth and where he controls a large and important law business, in connection with which he practices in all the State and Federal courts.
Though independent in politics and not in the least constrained by partisan lines, Mr. Winter permitted himself to be nominated as the candidate of the progressive party for the office of judge of the thirteenth judicial district of the state in the election of 1914, but he was defeated, with the other local candidates of the newly created political party. Mr. Winter is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, as well as the Phi Delta Theta college and the Phi Delta Phi law school fraternities, and while attending the law college in the City of Chicago he there served two years as a member of the fine old First Infantry Regiment of the Illinois National Guard. Both he and his wife are members of the First Methodist Episcopal Church in their home city, where their circle of friends is coincident with that of their acquaintances.
Mr. Winter has manifested specially deep interest in and appreciation of the best traditions of the land of his forbears and especially in the lives and labors of the sterling German element that has wielded powerful influence in the furtherance of civic and material progress' and prosperity in the United States. His interest has found concrete exemplification, in that for several years past he has been devoting earnest attention to the authoritative compilation of a history of the German people in the United States, a work to" which he is bringing his fine intellectual powers and literary ability, so that the published edition when issued is certain to become a valuable contribution to American history.
On June 3, 1884, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Winter to Miss Alta S. Kauffman, of Mount Pleasant, Iowa. She is a descendant of Michael Kauffman, a Swiss Huguenot, who immigrated to America in 1707 and settled in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. This sturdy colonist was the ancestor of the numerous family of Kauffmans still prominent in the social and industrial activities of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
In Oklahoma City the pleasant and hospitable home of Mr. and Mrs. Winter is at 1fi36 West Fortieth Street. They have four children, concerning whom brief data are given in conclusion of this article: Max Wilhelm is a special agent for the United States General Land Office, with official headquarters at Cheyenne, Wyoming: Jean Grace is a successful and popular teacher in the public schools at Perry, the judicial center of Noble County, Oklahoma; Gladys Kauffman is the wife of Harold F. Bradburn, contract agent of the Pioneer Telephone & Telegraph Company, at Oklahoma City; and Winifred Elsa is a student in the University of Missouri, where she is a member of the class of 1917.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]


EDWARD E. REARDON
In the year that marked the admission of Oklahoma as one of the sovereign states of the Union, Mr. Reardon was elected county attorney of Oklahoma County, and during the formative period of the legal department of the county government under the new regime he wielded large and effective influence in the formulating and directing of the legal business of his jurisdiction, his services having left a distinct and enduring impression upon the history of jurisprudence in the state because of the numerous early constitutional questions arising in Oklahoma County, the most important in the state, as the seat of the government of the commonwealth and the location of the capital city and metropolis. Mr. Reardon has been engaged in the active work of his profession in Oklahoma City since 1901 and has secure vantage-ground as one of the strong and resourceful trial lawyers and well fortified counselors of the state, besides which he is known and valued as a citizen of high principles and civic ideals and as one whose influence has always been given in support of those things which make for the general well-being of the community.
Edward Emmet Reardon was born at Hopedale, Tazewell County, Illinois, on the 22d of December, 1867, and is a son of Bryan and Anna (Flemming) Reardon, both natives of Ireland, the father having immigrated from the fair Emerald Isle to America about the year 1850.
In the public schools of Illinois Edward E. Reardon acquired his early education, which was supplemented by a well defined course of higher academic study in the University of Illinois. After having decided to prepare himself for the profession in which he has since achieved both success and prestige, he finally entered the law department of the University of Nebraska, in which he was graduated as a member of the class of 1901 and from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Laws. He had left his native State of Illinois in 1894 and had resided two years in Iowa before going to Nebraska and entering the university of that state, as noted above.
In the year that marked his graduation Mr. Reardon came to Oklahoma Territory, and, as an ambitious and well equipped young lawyer, engaged in the practice of his profession in Oklahoma City, where his energy and ability soon gained to him a substantial and lucrative law business, the scope and character of which attested the high estimate placed upon him in the community. He soon became an active and influential leader in the councils of the republican party in the territory, and he has not wavered in his allegiance to and advocacy of the cause of his party, in the ranks of which he is known as a safe counselor and as one of well fortified convictions concerning economic and governmental policies. When the state was admitted to the Union, in 1907, Mr. Reardon was elected the first county attorney of Oklahoma County under the new regime, and he continued the able and valued incumbent of this office for a period of over three years. His are the attributes that make for loyal and useful citizenship, and he well merits the unqualified esteem in which he is held in the city, county and state with whose development and progress he has been worthily identified.
On the 18th of August, 1897, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Reardon to Miss Corinne O. Sumner, daughter of Josiah and Ada (Patterson) Sumner, of Lincoln, Illinois. Of this union have been born three daughters, two of whom are living: Audrey was born August 14, 1902; Katherine was born August 7, 1904, and was summoned to the life eternal in 1909; and Margaret was born November 19, 1911.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]


DIAS A. SHRIVER
Among the typical representatives of the agricultural element of Oklahoma County, whose industry, energy and careful management in farming operations have enabled them to relinquish active labors while still in the prime of life and to enjoy in leisurely retirement the fruits of former toil, is Dias A. Shriver, who is now living at his comfortable home at No. 2949 West Tenth Street, Oklahoma City. During the twenty years in which Mr. Shriver has been a resident of this community, he has built up a reputation for substantial and public-spirited citizenship, and for honorable dealing in all affairs of life.
Born at Wadestown, Monongalia County, West Virginia, March 4, 1859, Mr. Shriver is a son of Bazle G. and Mary Ann (Wise) Shriver, natives of the same county, where the grandparents were also born and where the family has been known and honored for many years. His father was born January 15, 1827, and his mother January 7, 1833, and in 1864 they removed for the West, locating on a farm in Scotland County, Missouri, where Bazle G. Shriver continued to be engaged in farming operations during the remainder of his life. In that county, amid agricultural surroundings, Dias A. Shriver was reared to manhood, securing his education in the district schools. He adopted farming and stock-raising as a means of livelihood on attaining his majority, and continued to be thus employed there until 1895, when he disposed of his Missouri interests and moved to the newly-opened country of Oklahoma, settling with his family on a farm three miles west of the business section of Oklahoma City. Here he also farmed until 1905, when the young city spread out toward him in such a tempting manner that he had his farm surveyed into small tracts and town lots and sold all of it off with the exception of twenty acres, upon which he still resides, and which he has improved in a way that makes it one of the ideal places near the city, being equipped with all modern comforts and conveniences, including natural gas, water works and electric lights. After disposing of most of his own land adjoining Oklahoma City, Mr. Shriver became a buyer and seller of lands throughout the West, for a time handling large tracts in Texas and Oklahoma. He is one of five heirs to inherit rich coal and oil lands in West Virginia, from a brother of his late father, valued easily at $1, 500, 000 to $2, 000, 000, but, naturally, it must pass through a tedious litigation before being distributed among the five beneficiaries. As a citizen, Mr. Shriver has always been active, a liberal contributor to the material advancement of the county and state and a conscientious and stirring booster for Oklahoma and the Southwest.
At Memphis, Missouri, Mr. Shriver was united in marriage, April 14, 1881, with Miss Martha Jane Baker, daughter of Franklin and Rosa (Sedoris) Baker, of Memphis, Missouri. Mrs. Shriver died December 9, 1911. To this marriage there were born four children, as follows: Hugh H., born February 10, 1882; Beulah, born May 23, 1884; Arthur, born August 11, 1887; and Eliza Vera, born February 13, 1899.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]


DAVID I. JOHNSTON
A member of the law firm of Keaton, Wells & Johnston, with offices in the Terminal Building in Oklahoma City, Mr. Johnston merits designation as one of the able and representative members of the bar of the state and as a loyal and progressive citizen whose character is the positive expression of a strong, sincere and upright personality. Though he is a lawyer of excellent attainments and indefatigable in his application to the work of his profession, Mr. Johnston has manifest naught of ambition for public office but has preferred to employ the time not demanded by his law business to zealous service in the field of religious activities and the incidental aiding and uplifting of his fellow men. He has full appreciation of the dignity and responsibility of his exacting profession and his high ethical ideals make him earnest in his efforts to conserve through his legal services the principles of equity and justice.
Mr. Johnston claims the historic old Keystone State of the Union as the place of his nativity and is a scion of one of the sterling old families of that commonwealth. He was born on the homestead farm in Indiana County, Pennsylvania, on the 18th of August, 1876, his father having been a representative agriculturist and stock grower of that section of the state. Mr. Johnston is a son of Robert F. and Lena (Adams) Johnston, both natives of Pennsylvania, where the former was born in 1842 and the latter in 1848, both having passed their, entire lives in the Keystone State.
David I. Johnston duly profited by the advantages afforded in the public schools of the little City of Indiana, judicial center of his native county, and there also he attended the Pennsylvania State Normal School. From 1895 to 1900 he was numbered among the successful and popular teachers in the schools of his native state and the latter part of his service in this capacity was given while he was a student in the normal school. In 1900 Mr. Johnston entered the law department of the great University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, and in this institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1903. Simultaneously with his reception of the degree of bachelor of laws he was admitted to the Michigan bar, but in the same year, however, he came to Oklahoma Territory and established his residence at Oklahoma City, where he was forthwith admitted to the territorial bar and also to practice in the United States courts of Oklahoma, Here he was associated in practice with the law firm of Shartel, Keaton & Wells until 1906, when he was admitted to partnership in the firm, the title of which has been Keaton, Wells & Johnston since the retirement of Mr. Shartel, in November, 1913. Mr. Johnston has been identified with much important litigation in the various courts and has effectively demonstrated his ability as a versatile trial lawyer and admirably fortified counselor. He has continued to take deep interest in educational matters and in 1913 served as a member of the Oklahoma state board of education. He is also president of the board of trustees of Henry Kendall College, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Mr. Johnston has identified himself enthusiastically and completely with the state of his adoption and has unlimited confidence in its great future. He has become an interested principal in many important industrial enterprises, including oil and gas production in local fields, and is a director of several of the corporations with which he is thus associated. As previously noted, he has no ambition for political office, nor has he any desire to enter the arena of so called practical politics, though he gives staunch allegiance to the republican party. In the Masonic fraternity Mr. Johnston has received the thirty-second degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, in which he is affiliated with Oklahoma Consistory of the Valley of Guthrie, where he holds membership also in India Temple of the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. His ancient craft affiliation is with Siloam Lodge, No. 276, Ancient Free & Accepted Masons, in his home city. Mr. Johnston is an active and popular member of the Oklahoma City Golf & Country Club and of the Men's Dinner Club of his home city.
Mr. Johnston and his wife are specially earnest and zealous in their religious activities and are influential and valued members of the First Presbyterian Church of Oklahoma City. Since 1904 Mr. Johnston has been a member of the governing board of elders of this church and also superintendent of the Sunday school. He is an active and loyal worker in the Oklahoma Young Men's Christian Association, and was for several years chairman of the executive committee of the Oklahoma Sunday School Association. His attractive home, at 112 West Ninth Street, with Mrs. Johnston as its gracious chatelaine, is known for its generous hospitality.
In the year 1903 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Johnston to Miss Winifred C. Copley, daughter of Edward B. Copley, a representative citizen and banker at Decatur, Van Buren County, Michigan. The three children of this union are: Esther Elaine, David Copley, and Lois Anita.



ROBERT L. PEEBLY
One of the essentially representative farmers and stock-growers of Oklahoma, Mr. Peebly has the distinction of being a pioneer of this favored commonwealth and his finely improved landed estate is eligibly situated in Oklahoma County, this homestead comprising 240 acres and being situated in close proximity to Oklahoma City, the fair capital and metropolis of the state. He has achieved prominence as one of the most progressive and successful stock-raisers of Oklahoma, and his admirable herd of Jersey cattle has become celebrated throughout the Southwest as well as for being the largest in Oklahoma. Mr. Peebly has been one of the loyal and enterprising citizens who have done much to further the civic and industrial development and upbuilding of the young and vital state of his adoption, and he has represented Oklahoma County as a member of the third and fifth sessions of the State Legislature.
Mr. Peebly claims Nebraska as the place of his nativity and was born in the year 1865, his parents, E. C. and Sarah J. (McMahan) Peebly, both natives of Missouri, having been numbered among the sterling pioneers of Nebraska, where the father became a successful farmer and stock-grower. He and his wife, now venerable in years, reside upon their attractive homestead farm near that of their son Robert L., in Oklahoma County, to which state they removed in the territorial days.
After duly availing himself of the advantages of the public schools of his native state Robert L- Peebly supplemented this discipline by a course in the Nebraska State Normal School at Peru, Nebraska. For five years thereafter he was engaged in the retail grocery business in Nebraska, and for the ensuing two years he was found employed as a commercial traveling salesman. In 1893 he came to Oklahoma Territory, having "made the run" at the opening of the famous Cherokee Strip and having selected a homestead seven miles north of Perry, the present judicial center of Noble County. He never made settlement on this claim, however, and later leased a tract of school land near Oklahoma City. In Oklahoma County he eventually purchased several tracts of land, and, as previously indicated, his present homestead comprises 240 acres, the same constituting one of the best improved and most valuable places in the county. He has given special attention to the raising of the best grades of live stock, and in the developing of his splendid herd of best bred Jersey cattle he has availed himself of selection of the best types offered at sales in other states of the Union. At the Oklahoma State Fair in 1914 his Jersey bull took the grand premium, and in all exhibitions held by the Oklahoma State Fair Association from the time of its organization to the present he has maintained leadership in the winning of premiums on registered cattle, swine and chickens, his attention having been given definitely to the raising of Berkshire swine and White Leghorn chickens, and his reputation in these lines of enterprise being on a parity with that which he holds as a breeder of fine Jersey cattle. At six out of nine exhibitions held by the state fair association he has taken the grand premium on Jersey bulls, and in 1914 he had the distinction of winning the highest premium offered by the American Jersey Cattle Club. At the Oklahoma State Fair exhibits he has won his live-stock premiums in competition with the fine exhibits brought here from other states. It is needless to say that his careful and progressive activities have had much influence in raising the standard of the live-stock industry in Oklahoma, and within recent years he has expanded the scope of his operations by the extensive propagation of fruits, forty acres of his farm being given to the raising of Elberta peaches, his orchard being given the best scientific care and showing large and profitable production.
Mr. Peebly was one of the organizers and first stockholders of the Oklahoma State Fair Association and has done much to promote its interests and to make it an effective exponent of the resources and development of the state. He is president of the Oklahoma State Dairymen's Association and of the Oklahoma Jersey Cattle Club, besides holding membership in the Southwestern Cattle Breeders' Association, the headquarters of which are in Kansas City, Missouri; he is a member of the National Farmers' Educational & Co-operative Association; the Farmers' Institute of Oklahoma County; and the Oklahoma Anti Horse Thief Association. With characteristic liberality and civic loyalty, Mr. Peebly has done all in his power to foster the establishing and effective work of the agricultural colleges and minor schools of Oklahoma, and to some of these institutions he has sold blooded stock from his fine farm.
In politics Mr. Peebly pays unfaltering allegiance to the democratic party and that he has been prominent and influential in its activities in Oklahoma needs no further voucher than the statement that for twelve years he was a member of the Democratic Central Committee of Oklahoma County and that for five years of this period he was chairman of the same, besides which he has served also as a member of the Democratic State Central Committee. He has held various township and school district offices and has been twice elected to the Legislature since the admission of Oklahoma to statehood. In the Third Legislature Mr. Peebly was chairman of the House Committee on General Agriculture, and as a member of this committee was the author of and ably championed to enactment the bill making imprisonment for a term of five years the minimum penalty for horse-stealing, a measure that has undoubtedly reduced by seventy-five per cent such misdemeanors in the state. The same committee prepared the pure-feed bill that was passed at the same legislative session, this measure having resulted in great saving to the farmers of the state, as its provisions require that different varieties of stock feed be so labeled that the purchaser may know the amount and constituency of the same. In the Fifth Legislature, that of 1915, Mr. Peebly was again made chairman of the Committee on General Agriculture and again proved his aggressiveness and maturity of judgment in the furtherance of the interests of the agriculturists and stock-growers of the state. In this Legislature he was assigned also to membership on the following named committees of the House of Representatives: Congressional Redistricting, Public Buildings, Public Health, and Pure Food and Drugs. He was the author of a bill providing for the transfer of school children and their pro rata part of the school funds from one district to another, this valuable measure making it possible for school children in rural districts to obtain high-school advantages without additional cost. At this session Mr. Peebly also formulated and introduced a bill defining poultry-stealing as a felony, and as enacted this measure has proved a great protection to poultry-breeders. As a legislator Mr. Peebly has stood firmly for the economical administrations of the various departments of government in the state and as the advocate of progressive policies. He was one of the organizers and is an influential member of the Oklahoma Fruit Growers' Association and the Oklahoma County Fruit Growers' Association. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
In Oklahoma County the year 1898 recorded the marriage of Mr. Peebly to Miss Anna Lewis, who is a lineal descendant of Francis Lewis, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Mr. and Mrs. Peebly have two children, James Sterling, who was born in 1899, and Edmund Eugene, who was born in 1903.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]


JOHN S. JENKINS
One of the veteran members of the Oklahoma bar, John S. Jenkins has practiced with, distinguished ability since the opening of the original Oklahoma Territory, and with the exception of four years as federal attorney in Indian Territory has had his home at Oklahoma City since the opening of the townsite. Of the older residents of the state, none represent a better stock of the old Virginia and Kentucky families, and his own career has honorably maintained the traditions and high standards of his forbears.
John S. Jenkins was born in Monroe County, Kentucky, February 22, 1851. He grew up on a farm, and as a boy came to appreciate the social and political confusion of the Civil war period. His education was acquired in the Kentucky common school, at the Concord Seminary in Tennessee and the college at New Middleton, Tennessee. He began reading law in his native state and finished his studies in Columbian University at Washington, where he had the exceptional advantages offered by residence in the nation's capital. After his admission to the bar in 1876 at Glasgow, Kentucky, and a brief practice at Tompkinsville in his home state, he moved to Texas and for fourteen years enjoyed a substantial position in the bar of McKinney.
At the opening of Oklahoma in 1889, Mr. Jenkins became a charter member of the bar in Oklahoma City. In 1890 he accepted an appointment from President Harrison as assistant United States attorney of Indian Territory, with headquarters at Ardmore, and served four years in that office. In 1894 he returned to Oklahoma City, and has since practiced in all the courts of the territory and state. His experience as a lawyer has brought him in close contact with the people of Oklahoma throughout the interesting epochs covering the development of the state, and he ranks as one of the ablest as well as oldest lawyers. He is prominent in the Order of Odd Fellows, being past grand of Oklahoma Lodge No. 8, and a member of Oklahoma Encampment No. 4, I. O. O. F. His church is the Christian.
Mr. Jenkins is descended from a Welsh family that established a home in Bedford County, Virginia, in 1754, twenty years before the beginning of the Revolution. Later, in 1798, they joined the tide of emigration passing out of Virginia to the West and his great-grandfather, Jerry Jenkins, brought military land scrip which was located in Kentucky. Grandfather Samuel Jenkins served as a soldier with the rank of captain in both the War of 1812 and the Blackhawk war of the early thirties.
Samuel M. Jenkins, father of the Oklahoma lawyer, was a native of Kentucky and a prosperous farmer. He followed in politics the fortunes of the great whig, Henry Clay, and during the war upheld the Union cause, though too old then for active service. His home was in a section of country peculiarly exposed to the troubles of private and public faction, where families were often divided in allegiance between North and South, and both he and his children suffered many of the unpleasant features of regular and irregular warfare. After the war he was a republican. His death occurred in 1900 in his eighty-sixth year.
Samuel M. Jenkins married Margaret Bush, a native of Kentucky, who died in 1886 in her seventy-sixth year. The Bush family came into Kentucky with the parents of Abraham Lincoln, and her grandfather's sister, Sallie Bush, was, as history tells, the step-mother of the martyr president.
John S. Jenkins in 1876 married Miss Helen Beall, a daughter of E. Beall, of Monroe County, Kentucky. Her family were of the large planter and slave-holding aristocracy of Kentucky, but her father was a Union man during the war. Mrs. Jenkins died in 1896, leaving a son, Albert E. Jenkins, now a successful lawyer at San Francisco.
In 1900 Mr. Jenkins married Miss Maude Whiteside, of Belleville, Illinois, and they have a son, John T. Jenkins, attending school in Oklahoma City. By his second wife Mr. Jenkins becomes connected with some of the historic names of New England. Mrs. Jenkins's father was Thomas A. Whiteside, a veteran Union soldier and a pioneer at Belleville, Illinois. On her mother's side she is a great-great-granddaughter of Matthew Lyon, of Vermont, who was one of the companions, and also a brother-in-law of Ethan Allen in his noted exploits during the Revolutionary war. Afterwards Matthew Lyon became prominent and made a name in history during the formative period of the American nation. He served as a member of an early Congress, and after becoming a resident of Kentucky and representing that state in the National House of Representatives had the distinction of casting the decisive vote which made Thomas Jefferson president and defeated Aaron Burr.
Mr. Jenkins has his office at 113% West Main Street and his home at 128 East Second Street in Oklahoma City.
("A standard history of Oklahoma" Volume 4, 1916, By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by Cathy Ritter)


HARRY CLARENCE WATTON
The acknowledged leadership among Oklahoma photographers belongs to H. C. Watton of Oklahoma City. Mr. Watton is not in the class of the ordinary maker of pictures, but has a mechanical and artistic genius in that field which sets him above the majority of men of that vocation. The work that comes from his studio in the Terminal Arcade Building represents the highest standards, and to say that it is a Watton photograph is to speak the last word of praise in respect to the artistic finish.
For ten years Mr. Watton has been established in his profession at Oklahoma City. He is a native of Illinois, born at Shelbyville in Shelby County, April 15, 1872. His father, Granville D. Watton, was born in Ohio, and was of English ancestry, the grandfather, Fielden Watton, having spent most of his life as an Ohio farmer. Granville D. Watton was reared and educated and married in Ohio and by occupation was a contractor and also a teacher in schools. He is still living, being now retired at the age of seventy-five, with his home in Shelbyville, Illinois. He moved from Ohio to Illinois, about 1863. His wife's maiden name was Emeline Wineland, who was born in Ohio, and is now seventy five years of age. Her father was a native of Ohio and of German stock. Mr. H. C. Watton is the fourth son and fifth child in a family of nine living children.
His early boyhood was spent in his native county, and he acquired an education in the common schools. At the age of seventeen, about 1888, he started to learn the photographic art at Shelbyville, Illinois. After serving an apprenticeship of one year, he had as much skill and knowledge of the trade as his preceptor, and after that for four years he was a regular journeyman photographer, working at his trade in many different localities. For a time he was under Fritz Guerin. the noted photographer of St. Louis. For twelve years Mr. Watton was in business at Lancaster, Wisconsin.
From there he came to Oklahoma City and established his studio in 1905. While there were other photographers in the city at the time, and there had been many before him, he is now the oldest photographer is point of continuous business in Oklahoma City.
It is only necessary to speak of some of the honors won by Mr. Watton in the profession of photography to indicate his attainments and standing. He was the winner of the following trophies: 1909, Angelo Trophy; 1909, Silver Loving Cup; 1910, Angelo Trophy: 1912, Silver living Cup; 1914, Angelo Trophy; 1914, Wollensack Loving Cup; and of the following medals: 1907, Genre Medal F; 1909, Genre Medal F; 1910, Genre Medal S; 1912, Genre Medal F; 1914, Genre Medal F; 1914, Best Baby, Diploma. All these trophies and medals were won by exhibitions of his art in competition with that of the best photographers in the country. During his professional career Mr. Watton has photographed many notable men. Among them might be mentioned the late Elbert Hubbard, who was a victim on the ill fated Lusitania; C. T. Daly, the noted playwright; Augusta Cottlow, the noted pianist; and many others.
In 1895 Mr. Watton married Miss May Helen Nathan. They are the parents of two charming daughters: Frances is now attending Knox College at Galesburg, Illinois: and Helen Maria is still at home.
Mr. Watton is well known in Oklahoma. City affairs. He is a member of the Masonic Order, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Modern Woodmen of America, the American Yeomen, and is a member of the Oklahoma City Golf and Country clubs and of the Men's Dinner Club. In politics he is a democrat. During his residence at Lancaster, Wisconsin, he was a member of the city council and did much in a local political way. Through his profession he has "acquired a well deserved success and prosperity and for twenty six years has been a competent photographer. He has witnessed a great many changes in his art during that time. His studio is now acknowledged as the largest and best equipped in the State of Oklahoma, and his patronage is not confined to people in and in the immediate vicinity of Oklahoma City, but comes from all over the state and from many parts of Northwest Texas.
["A Standard History of Oklahoma", Volume 4, 1916, By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]


HARVEY RUSSELL WINN
one of the most capable lawyers practicing at the Oklahoma bar was born at Ozark, Arkansas, February 16, 1849, and is a son of Robert Minor and Tabitha (Bates) Winn, natives respectively, of Fauquier County, Virginia, and Cane Hill, Arkansas. His grandparents removed from Virginia to Trimble County, Kentucky, in 1819, from which locality Robert Minor Winn migrated to Franklin County, Arkansas, in young manhood, and entered the practice of medicine, later becoming a surgeon in the Confederate army during the Civil war. Of his family of eight children, Harvey R. was the fourth in order of birth.
Harvey Russell Winn attended the country schools until large enough to enter the Presbyterian Seminary at Clarksville, Arkansas, where he completed the course with the class of 1870. Two years later he began reading law, and also engaged in teaching school until 1889, when he was admitted to the bar, and soon thereafter came to Oklahoma City to enter upon the practice of his profession. He made the run with the rush, coming to Oklahoma City from Purcell on the noon train over the Santa Fe Railroad, and staked as his claim the two lots on the corner of Third and Broadway, immediately south of the present Masonic Temple. One of these lots he sold later during a depression to C. F. Colcord, for $500, and the other still later to J. L. Brown for $450.
On his arrival in Oklahoma City, Mr. Winn immediately was recognized as one of the aggressive, levelheaded, fair-minded men of the new community, and was consulted as a lawyer by the leading men of that day. During the turbulent conflicts between the "sooners" and the "regulars," almost equally matched in numbers, Mr. Winn took the stand that the law against "sooners" was as much to be obeyed as any other law, although it was doubtless an, unfair law. He, however, recognized that there were many good men among the "sooners" and counselled fair treatment of men on all sides. In the fall of 1889, during the fight between these two factions, then designated as the ''Seminoles'' and ''Kickapoos,'' when the issues reached the point of anarchy; when each side was ejecting members of the other side from lots and burning down each other's houses; after one house had been dragged into Main Street just west of where the Pettee Building stands and burned in broad daylight in open view of thousands of people, it was Mr. Winn who went to Mayor Beale and insisted that the chief executive join him in sending a telegram to Washington asking for the protection of the Federal Government. The telegram was sent to Hon. John H. Rodgers, a member of Congress from Arkansas, and a personal acquaintance of Mr. Winn. Mr. Rodgers acted at once and the Washington authorities issued an order to the army to take charge of the peace in Oklahoma City, and from that day on all the differences between the two factions were adjusted in the courts and order reigned.
While Mr. Winn stood for the enforcement of the "sooner" law and regulation because it was the law of the land, when Senator Plumb of Kansas, introduced a bill to compromise all contests between '' sooners'' and '' regulars'' by dividing the land under contest, Mr. Winn was an active factor in prevailing upon congressmen from other states to join Senator Plumb in his move. Through personal letters written to members of Congress in Arkansas, his native state, he secured the support of all the congressmen and both senators of that state for the Plumb bill, which, however, was defeated because on the eve of its last reading those in Oklahoma City and throughout the state who had won the first decision before the land office for their contentions, '' Burned up the wires'' urging Congress not to interfere. Many who had felt themselves secure and thus stopped the passage of the Plumb bill later were reversed in the higher courts and lost all their land.
From those earliest days in Oklahoma City, Mr. Winn has been regarded as a safe lawyer, a good citizen, and a man of resource to be reckoned with by his opponents. Ho was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of the United States at Washington, D. C., on November 8, 1915, and is now engaged in preparing a case for appeal-Adams against Higgins-in the United States Supreme Court. It is one of the largest title cases ever filed in the Oklahoma courts, the famous John C. Adams case against 643 defendants occupying that part of the city embracing the quarter-section of land upon which the courthouse stands, covering a half mile of West Main Street. This claim of 160 acres was in contest between John C. Adams, Capt. W. L. Couch, Robert W. Higgins, John Dawson and others. Couch and Adams both built on the claim, as did some of the others and after being hounded and badgered about by soldiers and friends of the others until he was crazed to madness, Adams, in April, 1890, shot and killed Couch. He was arrested and tried for murder twice, finally being sentenced to five years in the penitentiary. Couch being dead and Adams in prison, the land office officials decided the contest in favor of Higgins, upon whose entry all the present 643 occupants now hold title.
Mr. Winn, as chief counsel for Adams' guardian and heirs, instituted suit to set aside the Higgins title and to quiet the title in Adams and his heirs. The case is now pending and will doubtless be fought out in all the courts of the state before a final decision is reached. It may last for years. Under the estimate of expert judges of value, this property now in controversy represents over $9,000,000 in land and improvement values.
At Ozark, Arkansas, September 27, 1874, Mr. Winn was married to Miss Mattie J. Stutesman, daughter of Jacob and Eliza (Barnhill) Stutesman. Mr. Stutesman was a native of Indiana and Mrs. Stutesman of Arkansas. He was a large plantation and slave owner in Arkansas prior to the Civil war, but when that conflict came on moved to the North with his family. Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Winn, namely: Della, born July 5, 1876; Luke R., born February 10, 1878, engaged as head pressman in a large daily newspaper office at Portland, Oregon; Oula, born July 2, 1881, and now the wife of J. C. Hinds, of El Paso. Texas; Mabel, born June 12, 1883, who met her death by drowning, while with Miss Morris, at Wheeler Park, Oklahoma, May 19, 1907; William Harold, born October 20, 1885, now a lawyer in the office of Ames, Chambers, Lowe & Richardson, of Oklahoma City; Champ, born August 20, 1887, who died at Oklahoma City, August 10, 1889; and Frederick Minor, born May 17, 1892, now with an advertising agency at Oklahoma City. Mrs. Winn is a member of St. Luke's Methodist Episcopal Church. The family home is located at No. 629 West Tenth Street, Oklahoma City.
["A Standard History of Oklahoma", 1916, By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]



ORMAN E. MCCARTNEY
Some there are whose lives are controlled by circumstances and others who overcome circumstances and control their own lives. To this latter class it may be safely said that Orman E. McCartney belongs. When he entered upon his career it was in a professional capacity, but enlightened views and an inherent talent for business called him from the instruments of his learned vocation, and, entering actively into finance, he soon placed himself in a position where he was able to shape his own career. Coming to Oklahoma City in November, 1909, he here founded the Oklahoma National. Life Insurance Company, the first domestic life insurance company organized in the state, and of this enterprise he has continued to act as president.
Mr. McCartney was born in Fremont County, Iowa, in 1874, and is a son of Milton and Helen (Paul) McCartney, both of whom are now deceased. The father, a native of Ohio, moved to Iowa as one of the pioneers of Fremont County, in 1850, and there passed the remainder of his life in agricultural pursuits. Mrs. McCartney was a native of Indiana. The public and high schools of Thurman, Iowa, furnished Orman E. McCartney with his early education, and after some preparation he entered the University of Iowa, at Iowa City, from which he was duly graduated in 1900, with the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery. Following his graduation he remained at the university for two years as an instructor, and then returned to Thurman, where for one year he was engaged in the practice of his profession. Mr. McCartney came to Oklahoma in 1903, in which year he settled at Custer City, there engaging in the banking business, but in 1909 came to Oklahoma City, where in November of that year he organized the Oklahoma National Life Insurance Company, of which he at once became president, a position which he has held to the present time. This concern, the first domestic life insurance company organized in Oklahoma, now does business all over this state, Texas, Arkansas and Kansas, and December 31, 1914, had about 5,000 policies in force, with insurance amounting to about $7,000,000.00. That the company has enjoyed a rapid and consistent growth under Mr. McCartney's wise and able management may be seen from the fact that the assets, which on December 31, 1909, were $239,033, were December 31, 1914, $743,000.00. Mr. McCartney's success is an illustration of a man of dominating motive and shrewd foresight responding manfully to a business opportunity. He belongs to that class of keen men who bring with them the atmosphere of business, and who do business in a modern, systematic and efficient manner. Among his associates he is relied upon absolutely.
Fraternally, Mr. McCartney has numerous important connections. He is a thirty-second degree Mason, being a member of Custer City Lodge No. 258, A. F. & A. M., all the Scottish Rite bodies, Oklahoma Consistory, Valley of Guthrie, and India Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He belongs also to Custer City Lodge No. 236, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, of Thurman, Iowa, in which he has gone through all the .chairs; and Oklahoma City Lodge No. 417, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
In 1906 Mr. McCartney was married to Miss Lola Talkington, daughter of A. B. and Catherine Talkington, of Greeley, Nebraska. Three children have been born to this union: Helen, Verabelle and O. E., Jr. The McCartney home is located at No. 1117 North Shartel Avenue.



HUGH L. HARRELL
Definite contribution to the dynamic energy which has been potent in the furtherance of the social and industrial development of Oklahoma is to be accredited to Mr. Harrell, who has been a resident within the borders of the present commonwealth from the time of his nativity, who is a member of an honored and influential pioneer family of the estate and whose individual activities have been manifold and productive, so that he is consistently to be designated as one of the most progressive and loyal young men of the state, his character and achievement fully entitling him to the unqualified popular esteem in which he is held. He had the distinction of serving as assistant secretary of state for Oklahoma when he was but twenty-four years of age and such exceptional preferment in the new state indicates special ability and fealty on the part of the incumbent. Mr. Harrell maintains his residence in Oklahoma City but gives a general supervision to his fine landed estate of several hundred acres, in Hughes County, his enterprise and energy being the forces that are developing this into one of the model agricultural demesnes of Oklahoma.
Mr. Harrell was born at Culla Chaha, Indian Territory, the place of his nativity being near the City of Poteau, the present judicial center of Le Flore County, Oklahoma, and the date of his birth having been February 27, 1887. He is a son of Henry B. and Jessie M., (Enochs) Harrell and his father is numbered among the successful stockmen of Oklahoma, where he is a citizen of prominence and influence, besides being a member of a family that settled in Indian Territory in the early pioneer days. Henry B. Harrell was born in Alabama and was a boy at the time when the family immigrated to the wilds of Indian Territory, the journey having been made up the Mississippi River and thence up the Arkansas River to Fort Smith, Arkansas, before the establishing of railway facilities in this section of the Southwest. His father became one of the early exponents of the live stock industry in the Indian Territory, and finally established his residence at San Antonio, Texas, where his venerable widow still resides and where he continued to be identified with the cattle business until the time of his death. As a matter of enduring historic interest it should be noted that the paternal great-grandfather of him whose name initiates this article, became one of the early missionaries of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in Indian Territory, and was the founder of Harrell's Chapel, near Poteau, this pioneer and crude church edifice having long been one of the landmarks of that section of the present State of Oklahoma. The maternal grandfather of Mr. Harrell was a prosperous merchant in the City of Verona, Mississippi, at the inception of the Civil war, and during the great conflict between the states of the North and the South he was a gallant soldier of the Confederacy, besides which he had served as a member of the Mississippi Legislature. His widow now resides in the home of the parents of the subject of this sketch, at Calvin, Hughes County, Oklahoma.
To the common schools of Indian Territory Hugh L. Harrell is indebted for his early educational discipline, and from 1905 to 1906 he was found enrolled as a student in the Oklahoma Agricultural & Mechanical College at Stillwater. Thereafter he completed a normal and business course in Indianola College, at Wynnewood, Indian Territory, and in this institution he was graduated in 1906, with the degree of Master of Accounts. Prior to this he had served as secretary and treasurer of the Hundley Mercantile Company, at Calvin, and he continued with this concern for some time after his graduation. He next engaged in the land, loan and banking business. In the meanwhile he had instituted the improvement of his ranch of several hundred acres, in the vicinity of Calvin, and he is rapidly developing this into one of the most productive and valuable landed estates in Hughes County.
In 1911, when but twenty-four years of age, Mr. Harrell was appointed assistant secretary of state for the new State of Oklahoma, and during his four years' incumbency of this important office he proved a signally efficient and valued executive. He served for a time also as an appraiser for the Oklahoma state board of public-land commissioners, and he has informed himself thoroughly in regard to the resources and advantages of the various portions of the state, to which his loyalty is unfaltering and appreciative. Though he prepared himself for and has received admission to the bar of the state Mr. Harrell has not found it expedient to engage in the practice of his profession, but his technical knowledge has proved of great value to him in his various business operations. In politics he is an active supporter of the cause of the democratic party, and both he and his wife hold membership in the Presbyterian Church. He has varied interests in Oklahoma City, where he formerly held the office of secretary of the Broadway Loan & Mortgage Company. He manifests deep interest in all that tends to conserve the welfare and progress of Oklahoma and hero his circle of friends is virtually coincident with that of his acquaintances.
In the Masonic fraternity Mr. Harrell has received the thirty-second decree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite and is affiliated with Indian Consistory, No. 2, at McAlester, and is also a member of India Temple Order of the Mystic Shrine. For several years he was secretary of the lodge of Free & Accepted Masons at Calvin but his ancient craft affiliation is now with Oklahoma City Lodge, No. 36. At Calvin he served also as secretary of the camp of the Woodmen of the World, and he is a member of the Oklahoma City Country Club. Mrs. Harrell was graduated in William Woods College, at Fulton, Missouri, as a member of the class of 1907, and she is active in church work in the Oklahoma metropolis, where also she is a popular factor in representative social circles.
At Oklahoma City, on the 2d of June, 1908, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Harrell to Miss Winnie Scales, daughter of George W. and Mattie (Bourland) Scales, her father having been a pioneer of the Choctaw Nation of Indian Territory and having there married Miss Mattie Bourland, who is a member of the well known Indian family of that name and also a representative of the Byrd family, which likewise claims a distinct strain of Indian blood and is one of prominence and influence in the present generation in Oklahoma. Mr. and Mrs. Harrell have one child, Pauline, who was born in 1910.
Mr. Harrell has three sisters, Mrs. Tupp L. Griffin, whose husband is a prominent merchant at Calvin; and Leona and Ada, who remain at the parental home.
["A standard history of Oklahoma", Volume 3, 1916; By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]



C. EDGAR BARKER, M. D
Since locating at Oklahoma City, in 1912, Dr. C. Edgar Barker has steadily advanced to a recognized position in the ranks of the medical profession, and is now accounted one of the leading specialists here in genito-urinary diseases. A close and careful student, he did not enter upon the practice of his vocation until he had thoroughly mastered its principles, and before coming to Oklahoma City had secured much experience of a practical character. Doctor Barker was born at Pattenburg, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, in 1881, and is a son of George G. and Sarah J. (Case) Barker.
The Barker family has resided in America from Colonial times, and is connected directly with Capt. John Reed, of Revolutionary fame, who was first a resident of Connecticut and later moved to New Jersey, Doctor Barker being in the eighth generation from this patriot. George G. Barker was born in New Jersey, and there entered mercantile pursuits in young manhood, being engaged therein at Pattenburg for approximately thirty years, up to the time of his death in 1910. He was also a leading and influential democrat of his community, and served as postmaster of Pattenburg during both of President Cleveland's administrations. The mother passed away also in 1910, five months after the death of Mr. Barker.
C. Edgar Barker received his early education in the public schools of Pattenburg, following which he entered the Centennary Collegiate Institute, at Hackettstown, Warren County, New Jersey. He began his medical studies at the Medical and Chirurgical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, but failing health made advisable a change of climate, and he accordingly went to Denver, Colorado, after three years at Philadelphia, and finished his course at the University of Denver Medical College, where he was graduated in 1907, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. Doctor Barker next spent two years at Rock Springs, Wyoming, in the capacity of house surgeon of the Wyoming General Hospital, and in 1909 came to Oklahoma and first located at Tuttle, where he carried on a general practice until 1912. In that year, seeking a larger field for the display of his talents and abilities. Doctor Barker took up his abode in Oklahoma City, and here has continued to the present time, now occupying offices at No. 415 State National Bank Building, while his home is No. 1117 West 12th Street.
Upon first locating at Oklahoma City, Doctor Barker carried on a general practice, and in the meantime carried on independent study, research and investigation. In 1914 he took a post-graduate course at the New York Polyclinic at New York City, and upon his return began specializing in genito-urinary diseases, a field in which he has come rapidly to the forefront. He is a member of the staffs of the Wesley and Wesley Post-Graduate hospitals, both at Oklahoma City, and holds membership in the Oklahoma County Medical Society, the Southwestern Medical Association, the Oklahoma State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. His fraternal connections are with the Phi Rho Sigma fraternity, Lambda Chapter; Tuttle Lodge No. 405, A. F. & A. M.; Oklahoma City Lodge No. 417, B. P. O. E., the Woodmen of the World, the Woodman Circle and the Order of the Eastern Star. His religious belief is that of the Presbyterian faith, and he and Mrs. Barker attend the First Presbyterian Church of Oklahoma City.
Doctor Barker was married October 7, 1914, to Miss Viola Todd, who was born in Oklahoma, a daughter of George A. and Margaret Todd, of Ponca City, Oklahoma. Mr. Todd is the owner and operator of the Ponca City Oil & Gas Company, of Ponca City, and is also largely interested in the oil and gas interests at Cushing and other points in Oklahoma.
["A standard history of Oklahoma", Volume 3, 1916; By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]


JOHN THREADGILL, M. D.
To few of its citizens does Oklahoma City owe more for its substantial development than to Dr. John Threadgill, who, coming here in 1901, immediately became one of its most helpful and active promoters. To his resource, initiative and courageous faith may be accredited such enterprises as the Oklahoma Life Insurance Company, the Columbia Bank and Trust Company and the Threadgill Hotel, while civic development derived encouragement from his able and disinterested support until his death, which occurred on the 14th of May, 1915.
John Threadgill was born at Wadesboro, the county seat of Anson County, North Carolina, September 28, 1847, and is a son of James and Eliza (Paul) Threadgill, natives of the same town and state. The family was founded in America by four brothers, Thomas, Randall, William and John Threadgill, who in 1770 emigrated from England and located in North Carolina, where all married and reared families. It is from the family of Thomas that Doctor Threadgill descends. This ancestor was a full colonel in the Revolutionary army- and was a conspicuous figure at the Battle of Camden, South Carolina. The father of Doctor Threadgill was a wealthy planter and slave owner of the South prior to the Civil war, and his family consisted of eleven children, of whom John was the fourth in order of birth.
As he grew to manhood, John Threadgill was educated in the home schools, and after some preparation entered the medical department of the University of Alabama, at Mobile, from which he was graduated with the class of 1874. Previous to this time, however, when not quite sixteen years of age, he enlisted in the Fourteenth North Carolina Infantry, Confederate army, in September, 1863, and served until he was captured by the Federal troops near Petersburg, April 3, 1865. He was paroled from Hart's Island, New York. June 17, 1865, being one of the first Confederate prisoners sent to that prison. According to the records he was one of the youngest Confederate soldiers at the time of his death.
Leaving his native state in September, 1870, Doctor Threadgill located in Washington County, Texas, where he practiced medicine until 1875, then moving to Williamson County, and in 1880 retired from the practice to engage in the banking business at Taylor, Texas. He became vice president there of the First National Bank and its active manager, the president of the institution being a resident of Chicago. Selling out his banking interests in 1895, Doctor Threadgill moved to Norman, Oklahoma, having obtained a contract from the Territory of Oklahoma and the Indian Territory to care for the insane of the two territories. Here he built the Oklahoma Sanitarium for the Insane and conducted it until 1901, when he sold out to others and moved to Oklahoma City to become one of its live wires in the development of the magic city. One of his first moves was to organize the Oklahoma Life Insurance Company, serving as its president until its complete organization, when he disposed of his interests. He then organized and became president of the Columbia Bank and Trust Company of Oklahoma City, in 1902, from which position he subsequently resigned after the first year and sold his stock before it was consolidated with the State National Bank. In 1904 he built the Threadgill Hotel, at the corner of Second and Broadway, now the Bristol, and owned it until 1918, when he exchanged it for Texas lands, upon some of which have been developed oil prospects. After building the Threadgill Hotel, Doctor Threadgill practically retired from active operations. Doctor Threadgill was a thirty-second degree Mason and a member of all the kindred orders. He was also a Pythian Knight and an Odd Fellow. He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Oklahoma City, as is also Mrs. Threadgill.
On January 28, 1872, Doctor Threadgill was married in Washington County, Texas, to Miss Elizabeth Guiton, who lived only one year after their marriage. In Williamson County, Texas, he was married to Miss Sue Gault, December 1, I875, and she died June 6, 1891, having been the mother of one daughter, who is now Mrs. W. T. Salmon, of Oklahoma City. At Memphis, Tennessee, January 6, 1892, Doctor Threadgill was married to Miss Frances Fidelia Falwell, who was born September 22, 1867, daughter of Samuel and Zarsko Zelo (Messick) Falwell. Two children were born to this union: Mary Frances, September 27, 1892; and John Falwell, April 15, 1894. Both children still are unmarried and reside with their mother.
To his last marriage, Doctor Threadgill owes much of his success and happiness in life, for Mrs. Threadgill is not only a capable member of the household and a congenial companion, but a woman of remarkable character and breadth of thought along lines of endeavor especially appreciated by civic and philanthropic students. While the doctor was busy in his business enterprises, his estimable and cultured wife has been one of the most active civic workers in the West. Mrs. Threadgill, after .having the advantages of the public schools of her native city, Memphis, Tennessee, graduated from the Peabody Normal School, at Nashville, in 1881, with the degree of L. I. Earlier, she had also graduated from a business college at Memphis, hence, when she elected to give her life to active public service, she had all the preparation qualifying her for the noble work to which she was determined to devote her career. Immediately after her graduation at Nashville, Mrs. Threadgill became a teacher in schools and colleges of Memphis, in which work she continued until 1891 when she moved to Taylor, Texas, also to teach until she and the doctor were married. When they located at Oklahoma City, Mrs. Threadgill was at once recognized as an admirable leader among the women of the state striving to better civic conditions. She was elected president of the Territorial Federation of Women's Clubs in 1906 and also of the state body in 1907-8, was State Federation president from 1908 to 1910 and from 1910 to 1912 was treasurer of the General Federation of Women's Clubs.
When the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention was in session after statehood came, in 1907, Mrs. Threadgill was active in the advocacy of those measures so dear to the hearts of the clubwomen of the state, including compulsory education and child labor provisions.
Mrs. Threadgill also descends from a historic family of Colonial days and distinction. Her grandfather, Samuel Falwell, was born in Rappahannock County, Virginia, and her father, also named Samuel, was a soldier during the Mexican war of 1847-8. On her mother's side the family comes down through a line of Stephens folk in which are listed the names of Emanuel and Thaddeus Stephens, of Lincoln's cabinet, and traces back to one of three brothers who came from the north of England and settled in Maryland, in 1711.
If a community and a state may be proud of such citizens as was Doctor Threadgill, they may be equally proud of his home associations and of the magnificent character of such a helpmate as he was so fortunate to secure in the person of his distinguished wife. Through the interest Mrs. Threadgill has had in the educational work she was instrumental in having established by the State Federation of Women's Clubs, a loan fund to be used in aiding young girls to obtain higher educations.
["A standard history of Oklahoma", Volume 3, 1916; By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]


ELMER E. BROWN
The present secretary of the Chamber of Commerce of Oklahoma City, Elmer E. Brown, has been a resident of this city for more than a quarter of a century, and during this time has been engaged in a variety of pursuits, in all of which he has been connected more or less closely with the growing commercial and civic importance of this thriving western community. At various times he has been called to fill positions of trust and responsibility, and at all times has displayed a commendable desire to assist other stirring and public-spirited men in advancing the city's interests.
Mr. Brown was born in Wyandotte County, Ohio, July 17, 1861, and is a son of Jacob C. and Alvira (Hull) Brown. He secured his early education in the public schools of his native locality, this being supplemented by a course at the normal school at Paola, Kansas, and thus prepared entered upon his career as an educator, being engaged in teaching school for two years. In 1887 Mr. Brown moved to what was known as No Man's Land, a tract of land which had been ceded to the United States Government by Texas, in 1850, but which for a number of years had no government. This is now included in Beaver County, Oklahoma, and there is probably no man in the state who is more familiar with the history of this interesting locality than is Mr. Brown, who is considered an authority and has been frequently called upon to settle disputes regarding its history. While residing there, Mr. Brown devoted his attention to newspaper work, for which his talents peculiarly fitted him, and it was in this same capacity that he made his appearance in Oklahoma City, in July, 1889.
Mr. Brown continued to be engaged in journalistic labors with several newspapers here until 1903, and in the meantime identified himself with politics, so that in 1895 he was appointed chief clerk of the Territorial Senate. His work in that body impressed itself favorably upon the administration, and in 1901 he was appointed territorial oil inspector, a position which he held during that and the following years. He continued his newspaper connections while holding office, but in 1903 again entered public life, when he was appointed postmaster of Oklahoma City, and retained that office until 1912, having at that time completely abandoned newspaper work. During his administration the service was greatly improved, and he made a record which established him in the confidence of the people and gave him the reputation of being a man who could accomplish things. Always an enthusiastic booster of Oklahoma City's interests, when he left the postmaster's office in 1912, he was chosen as secretary of the Chamber of Commerce, and has continued to devote his energies and talents to the duties of that position to the present time.
Mr. Brown is a republican of the progressive variety and has continued actively interested in the community's affairs. He maintains offices on the twelfth floor of the Colcord Building, and his residence is at No. 125 West Ninth Street. At the present time he is one of the working members of the advisory board of the city. He has no membership in clubs or secret societies, and is unmarried.
["A standard history of Oklahoma", Volume 3, 1916; By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]


Claude Weaver
WEAVER, Claude, a Representative from Oklahoma; born in Gainesville, Cooke County, Tex., March 19, 1867; attended the public schools; was graduated from the law department of the University of Texas at Austin in 1887; was admitted to the bar the same year and practiced in Gainesville, Tex., 1887-1895; assistant prosecuting attorney of Cooke County, Tex., in 1892; moved to Pauls Valley, Indian Territory, in 1895 and engaged in the practice of law; moved to Oklahoma City, Okla., in 1902; member of Oklahoma City Board of Freeholders in 1910; elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-third Congress (March 4, 1913-March 3, 1915); unsuccessful candidate for renomination in 1914 and for election to fill a vacancy in the Sixty-sixth Congress in 1919; postmaster of Oklahoma City, Okla., 1915-1923; acting county attorney of Oklahoma County in 1926; legal adviser and secretary to the Governor, William H. Murray, 1931-1934; district judge of thirteenth Oklahoma district in 1934 and 1935; returned to the practice of law; died in Oklahoma City, Okla., May 19, 1954; interment in Fairlawn Cemetery.
---Source: Congressional Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-present; transcribed by A. Newell.


Lee Cruce
Cruce, Lee, statesman of Oklahoma City, Okla. was born July 8, 1863, in Crittenden county, Ky. He has been president of the Ardmore National bank. In 1911 he became governor of Oklahoma.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


John Sanford Corley
Corley, John Sanford, banker of Dallas, Texas, was born Oct. 14, 1858, near Lake Providence, La. Until 1882 he was with the Texas Express company at Bremond;and in 1882-88 was cashier of the same company at Dallas. He has since been cashier and organizer of several banks; and in 1903 became president of the American National bank of Oklahoma City; and in 1904 became president of the City National bank of Kansas City. He sold his interests in these banks, removed to Wichita, where he has since been president of the Union State bank. He is also vice-president and general manager of the Southern States Cotton corporation, with headquarters in Dallas, Texas.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


Anton H. Classen
Classen, Anton H., capitalist of Oklahoma City, Okla., was born in 1861 in Pekiu, Ill. He is president of the Classen company.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


James Chenoweth
Chenoweth, James, banker of Oklahoma City,Okla., was born Nov. 25, 1871, in Greenville, Ohio. He is vice-president of the American National bank.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


Samuel J. Carpenter
Carpenter, Samuel J., farmer, merchant and banker of 200 North Reh St., Oklahoma City, Okla., was born Oct. 16, 1867, in Trenton, Mo. He is president of the Mercantile Trust company.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


James Yancy Callahan
Callahan, James Yancy, farmer, clergyman and statesman of Oklahoma City, Okla., was born Dec. 19, 1852, in Dent county, Mo. He was licensed as a local minister in the Methodist Episcopal church in 1880. In 1897-99 he was a member of congress.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


Lauren Haynes Buxton
Buxton, Lauren Haynes, ophthalmologist and educator of Oklahoma City, Okla., was born July 15, 1859, in Londonderry, Vt. He is professor of the eye, ear, nose and throat diseases at the Oklahoma state university, medical department.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


Benjamin Franklin Burnwell
Burnwell, Benjamin Franklin, lawyer and jurist of Oklahoma City, Okla., was born April 15, 1866, in Armstrong county, Pa. In 1898-1907 he was an associate justice of the supreme court for the territory of Oklahoma.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


Joseph Milton Browning
Browning, Joseph Milton, banker of Oklahoma City, Okla., was born Dec. 9, 1869. in Verona, Mo. He is president of the Stock Yards State bank.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


George Leslie Browning
Browning, George Leslie, banker of Oklahoma City, Okla., was born Dec. 19, 1885, in Varona, Mo. He is cashier of the Stock Yards State bank.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


William R. Brown
Brown, William R., lawyer, jurist and statesman of El Reno. Okla., was born July 16, 1840, in Buffalo, N.Y. In 1895-99 he was judge of the probate court. In 1875-77 he was a member of congress.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


Francis Key Brooke
Brooke, Francis Key, clergyman and bishop of 427 West Ninth st., Oklahoma City, Okla., was horn Nov. 2, 1852, in Gambier, Ohio. In 1893 he was consecrated missionary bishop of Oklahoma and Indian Territory.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


Joseph H. Borders
Borders, Joseph H., business man, publisher and author of Oklahoma City, Okla., was born Oct. 4, 1858, in Lawrence county, Ky. He aided in building several towns in Oklahoma. He is the author of Queen of Appalachia.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


Andrew Gregg Curtin Bierer
Bierer, Andrew Gregg Curtin, lawyer and jurist of Oklahoma City, Okla., was born Oct. 24, 1862, in Uniontown, Pa. He has been city attorney of Garden City, Kan. In 1893 he was appointed by President Cleveland associate justice of the supreme court of Oklahoma Territory.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


Charles Bismark Ames
Ames, Charles Bismark, lawyer and banker of Oklahoma City, Okla., was born Aug. 1, 1870, in Macon, Miss. He is president of the Union Trust company and other corporations.
[Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 Transcribed by AFOFG]


Page 4

Back to:

Page 2

HOME

Visit the National Genealogy Trails Site

Copyright © Genealogy Trails