Oklahoma County, Oklahoma
Biographies 4 

Charles Bloomfield Edgar
Edgar, Charles Bloomfield, editor and publisher of Oklahoma City, Okla., was born April 2, 1849, in St. Louis, Mo. He is editor and publisher of the Daily News and the Saint Joseph Daily Gazette-Herald.
Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 – Transcribed by AFOFG]




Jesse James Dunn
Dunn, Jesse James, lawyer and jurist of Oklahoma City, Okla., was born Oct. 2,1867, in Channahon, 11l. In 1896-1900 he has been county attorney for Woods county, Okla. Since 1907 he has been an associate justice of the state supreme court of Oklahoma.
Herringshaw's American Blue-Book of Biography by Thomas William Herringshaw, 1914 – Transcribed by AFOFG]

Albert P. Crockett

Albert P. Crockett. A member of the representative law firm of Burwell, Crockett & Johnson, with offices at 415-417 Lee Building, Oklahoma City, Mr. Crockett is a man of fine professional attainments and his precedence at the bar of the state of his adoption is based upon results achieved.
Mr. Crockett was born in Williamson County, Tennessee, in the year 1871, and is a son of Dr. Rufus A. and Nancy (Scales) Crockett, the latter a representative of the old and prominent Scales family of North Carolina. Dr. Rufus A. Crockett, who was an able physician, continued in the practice of this profession in Tennessee until his death, which occurred when his son Albert P. was a boy, his widow still being a resident of that state. Doctor Crockett was a scion of the historic old Crockett family of Tennessee, that produced the great frontiersman and patriot, Davy Crockett, who lost his life in the memorable massacre of the Alamo, in Texas, in 1836.
In the Webb School at Bellbuckle, Tennessee, Albert P. Crockett acquired his early educational discipline, which was supplemented by a course in Vanderbilt University, in the City of Nashville, Tennessee. In this institution he was graduated in 1892, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and he forthwith entered the law department of the university, in which he completed the prescribed curriculum and was graduated as a member of the class of 1894. After the reception of the degree of Bachelor of Laws he engaged in the practice of his profession at Hopkinsville, where he served two terms as city attorney and also gained noteworthy recognition in being appointed as counsel for Kentucky of the Tennessee Central Railroad Company.
Fortified through excellent and varied experience in connection with legal work of important order, Mr. Crockett came to Oklahoma Territory in 1902, since which year he has continued in the active practice of law in Oklahoma City, and where since 1908 he has been a member of the well known law firm of Burwell, Crockett & Johnson, which controls a large and important practice, extending into the various courts of Oklahoma, both state and federal. In 1908 Mr. Crockett was president of the Oklahoma City Bar Association, of which he continues an active and valued member, and he is identified also with the Oklahoma State Bar Association and the American Bar Association. In the Masonic fraternity he has received the thirty-second degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite; he is past exalted ruler of Oklahoma City Lodge, No. 417, Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks; is affiliated also with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and holds membership in the Oklahoma City Club, the Men's Dinner Club, and the Golf and Country Club, all representative social organizations of the Capital City.
In 1907 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Crockett to Miss Elizabeth Russell, daughter of James D. Russell, of Hopkinsville, Kentucky, and their residence in Oklahoma City is at 506 West Thirteenth Street.

(A Standard History of Oklahoma by Joseph B. Thoburn, Volume IV, 1916, page 1092, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


FRED S. CALDWELL

Admitted to the bar of Oklahoma Territory in 1903, Mr. Caldwell has since been engaged in the successful practice of his profession in Oklahoma City, is one of the well fortified and influential members of the bar of the capital city, being a member of the representative law firm of Scothorn, Caldwell & McRill.
Mr. Caldwell is a scion of a staunch Scotch-Irish family that was founded in America in the colonial period of our national history, the original progenitor having settled in Virginia, and a branch of the family having later been established in New England. Benjamin Caldwell, great-grandfather of him whose name introduces this review, was born at Rutland, Vermont. Milton P. Caldwell, the grandfather, likewise was a native of the old Green Mountain State, whence he removed to the State of New York, and finally he moved with his family to the West and settled in Wisconsin as a pioneer.
Fred S. Caldwell was born in historic old Monroe County, Michigan, on the 11th of November, 1876, and is a son of Alfred P. and Clara (Jones) Caldwell, who now maintain their home in Oklahoma City, where the father is living virtually retired. Alfred P. Caldwell was born in Wisconsin, eventually became a prosperous farmer in Michigan, from which state he removed to Decatur County, Kansas, in 1879. There he continued to be identified with the basic industries of agriculture and stockraising until 1891, when he established his home at Longmont, Colorado, which state continued to be his place of residence until his removal to Oklahoma.
Fred S. Caldwell was about three years old at the time of the family migration from Michigan to Kansas and twelve years of age when removal was made to Longmont, Colorado, where he availed himself of the advantages of the public schools until he had completed the curriculum of the high school. He thereafter completed a course in Colorado College, at Colorado Springs, in which institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1900 and from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Philosophy. In the summer of the same year he went to Cripple Creek, that state, where he devoted his attention to the study of law and mining until September, 1901, after which he was for one year a student in the law school of the University of Denver. Thereafter he held an executive position in a savings bank at Colorado Springs about one year, and in the meanwhile completed his work of preparation for the legal profession.
In 1903 Mr. Caldwell came to Oklahoma Territory and at Guthrie, the territorial capital, he took the bar examination and was admitted to practice, the solidity of his legal learning at the time having been indicated by the fact that he passed the required examination with the highest mark of all of the class of thirty applicants. Immediately after his admission to the bar Mr. Caldwell established his permanent residence in Oklahoma City, where he has since given unremitting attention to the practice of law and where he has gained a staunch vantage-place as one of the representative attorneys and counselors at the bar of the Oklahoma metropolis and capital city. He has proved himself capable, honorable and resourceful in all of his professional activities, has achieved noteworthy victories in many important cases in the various courts and, with a true appreciation of and regard for the true ethical values, he has signally honored the profession of his choice.
A citizen of high ideals and mature judgment, Mr. Caldwell has given his co-operation in the furtherance of the general welfare of the community, both as a lawyer and as a loyal and public-spirited citizen. He became influential in the councils and activities of the Anti-Saloon League at the time of the prohibition campaign that was made when Oklahoma was preparing for statehood, and for a number of years he has been a valued member of the board of trustees of the Oklahoma Anti-Saloon League. In June, 1908, at the solicitation of the representative members of this organization, Governor Haskell appointed Mr. Caldwell prohibition-enforcement attorney, under the enforcement act that was passed at the first session of the State Legislature and which is commonly designated the “Billups law.” Concerning his service to the new commonwealth in this important office, the following pertinent statements have been made, and the data are well worthy of preservation in this article: “In discharging the duties of this office Mr. Caldwell was early confronted by the inter-state commerce barrier to the enforcement of the prohibition laws of Oklahoma, and numerous suits were brought in the Federal courts [?sic], by the railroads as well as by foreign liquor dealers who wished to market their goods in this state. As a result of this important and harassing litigation, which finally terminated in the Supreme Court of the United States, Mr. Caldwell became an authority and legal expert on inter-state commerce law, and in his final report to Governor Haskell he submitted a draft of a proposed bill to be presented in Congress and to provide for a solution of the vexing problem of inter-state commerce in intoxicating liquors, and in his report he also recommended that the Oklahoma Legislature should memorialize Congress upon this subject, and that this draft of a proposed bill be offered as a concrete suggestion for definite congressional legislation.
“Early in 1911 E. C. Dinwiddie, national legislative superintendent of the Anti-Saloon League at Washington, D. C., and a close personal friend of Mr. Caldwell, presented to Hon. E. Y. Webb, a Representative in Congress from North Carolina, a copy of the proposed measure as drafted by Mr. Caldwell. Mr. Webb promptly recognized the intrinsic value and consistency of the measure, and in the first session of the Sixty-second Congress he introduced it in the House of Representatives, as the original Webb bill. In December, 1911, a convention of representatives from the Anti-Saloon League and other temperance organizations was held in Washington, and largely through the efforts of Mr. Caldwell and his clear and convincing exposition of the intricate legal questions involved, the Webb bill was agreed upon as the measure upon which all should unite. In March, 1912, at the request of the Anti-Saloon League of America, Mr. Caldwell appeared before the judiciary committees of both the House of Representatives and the Senate and argued for the passage of the Webb bill, besides giving cogent reasons to establish its constitutionality. This effective argument was used by Mr. Clayton, chairman of the house judiciary committee, in the fight for the bill which he led on the floor of the national House of Representatives. The Webb bill was passed by both houses of Congress, was vetoed by President Taft, and was repassed over this veto by considerably more than the necessary two-thirds vote. For his ability, zeal and faithful service in this connection Mr. Caldwell merits the enduring gratitude of the friends of temperance and prohibition throughout the entire United States.”
During the earlier years of his professional activities in Oklahoma City Mr. Caldwell conducted an individual or independent practice, but since the 1st of February, 1911, he has been associated with John W. Scothorn and Albert L. McRill, under the firm name of Scothorn, Caldwell & McRill. They control a large and important civil practice and make a specialty of fire-insurance law. The well appointed offices of the firm are in the Insurance Building. Mr. Caldwell is a member of the American Bar Association; is affiliated with the Woodmen of the World and the Modern Woodmen of America; and both he and his wife are zealous members of the First Presbyterian Church of Oklahoma City, in which he holds the office of deacon.
Mr. Caldwell was married on November 29, 1906, to Miss Blanche Atchison, daughter of Mrs. Pauline Atchison, of Colorado Springs, Colorado, and the two children of this union are Robert and Fred S., Jr.

(A Standard History of Oklahoma by Joseph B. Thoburn, Volume IV, 1916, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


ALBERT DAVENPORT, M. D.

Albert E. Davenport, M. D., is a citizen who has not only added to the distinction of Oklahoma City in professional and intellectual fields, but through his high character and broad talents has carried its good name into state councils. A resident of this city since 1908, he is now recognized as one of the leading representatives of the medical profession, and in the performance of the duties of the various offices to which he has been called has demonstrated an eagerness to be of use to the interests of his adopted community and its people.
Doctor Davenport was born near Mount Vernon, Texas, June 23, 1873, and is a son of William H. C. and Julia C. (Kennon) Davenport. His father, a native of Georgia, entered the army of the Confederacy during the war between the North and the South, and after the close of that struggle, seeking a location in which to regain his lost fortunes, went to the little community of Mount Vernon, Texas. There he opened the first store, took an active and helpful part in the movements and enterprises that served to promote the growth of the city, and remained in the mercantile business until his death, which occurred October 8, 1910. While still a resident of Georgia, Mr. Davenport was a member of the association and of the committee thereof which in 1857 sent the Rev. Dr. J. S. Murrow as a missionary to the Indians. Mrs. Davenport passed away in 1888.
Albert E. Davenport received his early education in the public schools of Texas, following which, in 1891 and 1892 he took a preparatory course at Russellville, Kentucky. In the latter year he entered the University of Nashville, Tennessee, where he graduated in his literary work in 1894, and then entered upon his medical studies at the University of Louisville, Kentucky, from which institution he was graduated in March, 1897, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine.
Returning at once to Mount Vernon, Texas, Doctor Davenport was engaged in practice there for a few months, when he went to Paul’s Valley, Indian Territory, and from 1897 until 1901 was engaged in practice with a measure of success. His next location was Tishomingo, Indian Territory, where he remained until 1908, and since that year his field has been Oklahoma City, where he has steadily arisen to an enviable place in the ranks of his calling. At this time he occupies well appointed offices at No. 716 State National Bank Building.
In 1907, at the commencement of statehood, Doctor Davenport was appointed by Governor Haskell a member of the State Board of Health, and when the change was made therein in 1908 he was made a member of the State Board of Medical Examiners, but resigned there-from in 1909. In 1908 he became superintendent of the Oklahoma County Board of Health, and retains that position to the present. His practice has been broad and general in its character. Doctor Davenport has not ceased to be a close and careful student spending much of his time in independent research and investigation and being a valued member of the Oklahoma County Medical Society and the Oklahoma State Medical Society. He is a democrat in his political views, and his religious connection is with the First Baptist Church of Oklahoma City. Doctor Davenport is well and widely known in fraternal circles, belonging to Oklahoma City Lodge No. 36, A. F. & A. M., all the Scottish Rite bodies up to the thirty-second degree, and Oklahoma Consistory, Valley of McAlester, as well as Indian Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.
In 1899 Doctor Davenport was united in marriage with Miss Julia A. Chism, a daughter of Jesse Chism, a well-known Chickasaw Indian who built what is known as the “Chism Trail.” When William Chism died his three young daughters were taken into the household of and reared and educated by Gov. D. H. Johnston, governor of the Chickasaws. Mrs. Davenport’s sisters are Mrs. Cora McKeel, of Ada, Oklahoma; and Mrs. W. T. Ward, of Tishomingo, Oklahoma. Doctor and Mrs. Davenport have no children. They reside at No. 500 East Park Place, Oklahoma City.

(A Standard History of Oklahoma by Joseph B. Thoburn, Volume IV, 1916, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


E. N. JONES

By following a well-directed and systematic course of study and by making events and circumstances serve rather than oppose him in his ambitious course, Mr. Jones has come to a realization of one important step in his career-a law office of his own and a successful practice. He belongs to that class of determined young men in the professions in Oklahoma who are giving a fine account of themselves in the communities where they live, and who through constant effort to realize an ambition of high ideals and earnest purpose are, in the aggregate, making Oklahoma a state of notable men. Like many other successful young professional men, he re-enforced the foundation of his career with a training for teaching, and spent three successful and profitable years in that calling.
E. N. Jones was born in Coryell County, Texas, in 1890, and is a son of Jesse S. and Adella (Jones) Jones. His father, a native of Texas, is a real estate dealer at Vanoss, Oklahoma. Besides E. N. Jones there are the following children: Mrs. J. W. White, wife of a railroad man at Byars, Oklahoma; Mrs. B. Norvell, whose husband is a farmer at Vanoss, Oklahoma; Sybil Marvin, Johnnie V., Jack, Ulysses and Sol Philip. The parents of these children are members of the Christian Church.
On both sides of the family farmers have predominated for several generations, and Mr. Jones was reared on a farm. His father settled in Oklahoma in 1893 and consequently Mr. Jones has spent all his life since infancy in the territory and state. His education came from the public schools, and subsequently he completed a literary education in the East Central State Normal at Ada, and did his work as a teacher in the schools of Garvin and Pontotoc counties. His first school was taught when he was eighteen. He completed a course in law in the Cumberland University of Lebanon, Tennessee, and was admitted to the bar in Oklahoma June 20, 1913. He began his practice soon afterward at Ada. While engaged in teaching the pursuance of a home study and correspondence course gave him a fundamental knowledge of the law which enabled him to complete in a very short time the work required by a LL. B. degree at the Cumberland University.
Mr. Jones was married February 7, 1915, to Miss Minnie Duty, of Ada, whose father was a well-to-do farmer of Paris, Texas. Mrs. Jones was for several years a teacher in Choctaw and Pontotoc counties. Mr. Jones is affiliated with the independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World, the Ada Commercial Club, and the Pontotoc County and Oklahoma State Bar associations. He is attorney for the Vanoss Oil & Gas Company and the Diamond Oil & Gas Company, of Oklahoma City.
In politics a democrat, Mr. Jones has as yet developed no definite ambition for public life, and is content to pursue the delightful work of his profession. While in school he was much interested in politics. At Cumberland University he was secretary and treasurer of his junior class and was also chairman of the Interstate Club of students.

(A Standard History of Oklahoma by Joseph B. Thoburn, Volume IV, 1916, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


M. W. PEARL, A. B., A. M.

Among the highly educated and practical teachers of Oklahoma should be numbered the mathematics teacher of the Oklahoma City High School, M. W. Pearl, a man whose tenacity of purpose and well directed energy brought him through vicissitudes of financial embarrassment in his early years and crowned him with two college degrees. He is a scholar as well as teacher and has done much original research in the field of psychology.
Born at Dixon, Illinois, June 22, 1875, he is a son of James M. and Mary E. Pearl. His father in early life was a carpenter, but later became a farmer. The paternal ancestry has participated in all wars in which the United States has been engaged back to the revolution, and Mr. Pearl himself is a veteran of the Spanish-American conflict. His mother, who was born at Portland, Maine, and graduated from the Dixon Normal at Dixon, Illinois, was a woman of remarkable intellect, and after graduating from a medical college in San Francisco, California, was for twenty years a practicing physician in that city. Mr. Pearl has one brother, Byron W. Pearl, now engaged in farming near Muskogee, Oklahoma.
His high school education was obtained in the public schools of San Francisco. In 1893 he graduated from high school, and a number of years later won the degree Bachelor of Arts from the Iowa State Teachers’ College. His degree, Master of Arts, was awarded by the University of Oklahoma in 1913. His professional career began in 1894, and for three years he was assistant to the principal of the Lincoln High School in San Francisco. In his high school graduating class he stood eighth and was among those permitted under the law to teach in the public schools with a high school diploma as a substitute for a teacher’s certificate. On being given a choice of positions as teacher, he chose mathematics, a subject in which he has extensively specialized. Later for three years he was superintendent of schools at McCallsburg, Iowa, and for one year superintendent at Gilbert, Iowa. After removing to Oklahoma, he was for several years a resident in Garfield County, and while there was defeated by only a narrow margin as candidate for county superintendent of schools. In 1913 he was elected superintendent of schools at Walter, Oklahoma, and the following year was re-elected, but was compelled to secure the abrogation of his contract on account of the ill health of his wife, which made it necessary for both of them to seek climate of Colorado. Returning to Oklahoma in 1914 Mr. Pearl was chosen assistant superintendent of the Harrah public schools. While teaching in Iowa he served several times as president of the Teachers’ Association and has always taken an active interest in educational association work. While superintendent of schools at McCallsburg, he served a term as mayor, and in that time conducted and won a notable campaign against local vice and corruption. It was from Iowa that Mr. Pearl went into the army during the Spanish-American war. He enlisted April 25, 1898, and was with the Seventh Army Corps in Cuba until mustered out May 13, 1899. He served under Gen. Fitzhugh Lee, and in the same corps were Col. William J. Bryan and Col. Theodore Roosevelt.
At Pontiac, Illinois, September 3, 1903, Mr. Pearl married Miss Musetta M. Markland. Mrs. Pearl is a finished musician, being a graduate of four well known conservatories, and also has the distinction of being the first woman to finish the course of the law department of the University of Oklahoma, graduating in 1915. Prior to her graduation she had been admitted to the Oklahoma bar, and in 1915 took up regular practice in Oklahoma City, where she still is practicing. Mrs. Pearl is a graduate of the State Normal School at Bloomington, Illinois, and for ten years prior to her marriage was a successful public school teacher. She belongs to a prominent family, and one of her relatives was governor of Ohio.
Mr. Pearl is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and has affiliations with the Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges. He belongs to the Oklahoma County Teachers’ Association and the Oklahoma Educational Association. As a student of psychology he has pursued his investigations for a number of years and eventually expects to obtain a higher degree with a thesis on that subject. This thesis he designs as the basis of a text book which he hopes to publish. Mr. and Mrs. Pearl reside at 2408 South Harvey Street, in Oklahoma City.

(A Standard History of Oklahoma by Joseph B. Thoburn, Volume IV, 1916, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)


CHARLES D. FERGUSON, M. D.

As specialists in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat probably no firm of medical practitioners in Oklahoma enjoys a better reputation and a larger practice than that of Ferguson and Ferguson. These are two capable physicians, both men of broad experience in general as well as in special fields of practice, with fine endowment of natural ability and broad and liberal training both in America and abroad. Dr. Charles D. Ferguson is the junior member of the firm, and joined his brother in practice at Oklahoma City in 1907.
Charles D. Ferguson was born at Port Stanley, Ontario, in 1874, a son of Dugald and Sarah (Shearer) Ferguson. His father was born in Canada of Scotch parents and his mother was a native of Pennsylvania. The Fergusons were pioneers in Western Ontario, having come from Argyleshire, Scotland. Dugald Ferguson was reared in Ontario, and spent his entire active career as a progressive farmer.
Dr. Ferguson attended the public schools of Port Stanley and the collegiate institute at St. Thomas, Ontario. In 1901 he was graduated M. B. from the University of Toronto, and with this equipment he came to the United States and began practice at Cameron, Texas. That was his home for about six months, following which for about two years he was house surgeon for the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Hospital at Temple, Texas. For three and a half years he did a general practice at Silsbee, Texas. Like his brother, Doctor Ferguson was early led to specialize in practice, and in 1907 gave up his business in Texas in order to take post-graduate work for six months at the Eye, Ear, Nose & Throat Infirmary at Chicago, and in the New Orleans Post-Graduate Hospital. In 1910 he again interrupted his practice in order to pursue his studies and observations in the Royal Ophthalmic Hospital in London, England. Doctor Ferguson joined his brother, Edward S., at Oklahoma City, and together they have confined their attention to their specialty in diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat.
Doctor Ferguson is a member of the Oklahoma State and County Medical societies and the American Medical Association. He is affiliated with the Masonic order, the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and belongs to the Oklahoma City Golf and Country Club and the Oklahoma City Men’s Dinner Club. In June, 1910, he married Miss Maud Munson. Her father is William B. Munson of Denison, Texas, one of the most prominent men in the northern part of that state, long identified with the real-estate business and also a banker at Denison. Doctor Ferguson and wife, who have no children, reside at 3090 West 16th Street. His offices are in the State National Bank Building.

(A Standard History of Oklahoma by Joseph B. Thoburn, Volume IV, 1916, transcribed by Sandra Stutzman)

 


Back to:

Biography Index

HOME

Visit the

 National Genealogy Trails Site

Copyright © Genealogy Trails