to Sublette Estate of Millions
Okla., Dec. 20 --- W. F. Rack, ticket agent at the union depot here,
was advised today that by a decision of the federal supreme court he
will receive a portion of the estate left by Solomon P. Sublette,
valued at $7,000,000, and including property south of Forest park in
St. Louis. Mr. Rack says he inherits one-eighth and
another eighth of the entire estate.
(Topeke State Journal ~ Friday ~ December 20, 1907 ~ Page 3 ~ Submitted
by Lori DeWinkler)
Burned in Hotel Fire
The City hotel, a frame structure in Wilburton was completely destroyed
by fire at 5 o'clock Wednesday morning. E. W. Withrow of Oklahoma City
was burned to death and M. C. Collins of Lake Charles, La., was badly
burned about the face and body and is in a critical condition. He was
engaged to Miss Ella Kilpatrick of Wilburton and was to have been
married today. His life was probably saved by jumping from a second
story window, taking: sash, glass and all. He was considerably bruised
by the fall and was taken to the home of Mr. Kilpatrick in Wilburton
and at present is resting as well as possible under the circumstances.
Withrow was a real estate dealer from Oklahoma City and was in
Wilburton looking up a location for a hotel.
The fire was supposed to have started by using oil in starting the
kitchen fire. Withrow was overcome by the smoke and was in such a dazed
condition that he lost his way of escape. His body was burned to a
The hotel was a two-story frame structure and was located In the east
part of town. The property loss was about $4,000, and party insured.
Oklahoma Miner, April 10, 1913 - Submitted by a Friend of Free
MINERS KILLED – Through the Carelessness of a Fire Boss in a Coal Mine
South McAllister, I. T. – Five miners were killed by an explosion of
gas which occurred in the Anderson mines at 4 p.m. Monday. The names of
the men killed are Martin Roy, Joe Cox, Tom Curry, William Bishop and
Simon Pitty, colored.
The explosion is supposed to have been caused by Fire Boss Cox
unscrewing the bottom of a safety valve lamp, which ignited the gas. No
damage was done to the mine property.
Marion County News, (marion County, AL), Jan. 14, 1897 - Transcribed
and submitted by Veneta McKinney