Conway Oldham Barton, Jr.
Conway Oldham Barton, Jr., son of Conway Oldham Barton, Sr., from North Carolina, and his wife, Martha Cox, from South Carolina, was born June 7, 1856 on his father's plantation in Milam County, Texas, near Calvert, which consisted of three leagues of land with 157 slaves, He had three brothers: Lemuel, John Harold, and Frank, all of whom served in the Confederate States army. Said Conway Oldham Barton was educated in a private school at Port Sullivan, Texas Military Academy at Austin, and University of Virginia, 1876-77, taking a course in law, and began to practice at Cameron, Milam County, Texas, and married Mary Blanche Crow, who died in 1882, and had two daughters by her, Manda Galen, who married Felix E. Smith, and Ann Caroline, who died in 1924. His second wife was Carrie Moshen of Buda, Illinois, whom he married at Las Animas, Colorado, on January 4, 1887. Six children came to this marriage: Raymond O., born at Granada, Colorado, August 22, 1889; Percy O., born Pauls Valley, Indian Territory, February 11, 1897, and the other four children died in infancy. Raymond O. graduated from West Point, and is now stationed with the rank of Colonel at Fort Benning, Georgia. Conway Oldham Barton moved from Granada, Colorado, to Wellington, Collingsworth County, Texas, where he was elected and served a term as county judge in said county in 1892. In 1895 he came to Pauls Valley, Indian Territory, where he practiced law until the establishment of the United States Court at Ada in 1902, when he removed to Ada and continued the practice of law until his death. In 1910 he was appointed county judge of Pontotoc County to fill out an unexpired term. In the general election that year he was elected to said office and served that full term. He was mayor of Ada in 1906-08. As a devoted husband and father, he was appreciated and so remembered. [Source: Chronicles of Oklahoma Volume 20, No. 1, Pgs 102-103]
Colbert A. Burris
Colbert A. Burris was born in Pontotoc County, Mississippi in 1827. His father died when he was five years old, and in 1837 with a Chickasaw contingent of emigrants he came to Push-ma-lein, Choctaw Nation, and later lived near Tuskahoma and then at Doaksville in 1849 and during 1850 in Jacks Fork county, where he married Anhoyi, whose surname was Palmer. In 1856 he removed to the Chickasaw Nation and located in Pontotoc County, and from this county was elected as a representative, and afterward in 1859 from that district as a senator, in the legislature. In 1861 he was elected a Chickasaw delegate to the meeting of the five tribes at Old North Fork Town (Eufaula), and joined in the treaty with the Confederate States of America, frequently referred to as the Albert Pike treaty, and after the close of the Civil War participated at Fort Smith in negotiating with the United States what is generally referred to as the Treaty of 1866. He was a member of the delegation on the part of the Chickasaws in the three conferences between the Choctaws and Chickasaws, the last in 1886. During his public service in addition to that as a member of the legislature (lower house and senate) he was a member of the Chickasaw Supreme Court. An ordained minister of the Methodist Church, he was active in church work. After the death of his first wife, he married Miss Laura E. Bradley, an educated and cultured white woman, by whom he had seven children, only two having survived of the children by his first wife, to-wit., Hindman H. and Isaac. Buried: Stonewall Cemetery
[Source: "Chronicles of Oklahoma", Volume 20, No. 2, June, 1942]
Hindman H. Burris
Hindman H. Burris, born at old Stonewall, now Frisco, Chickasaw Nation, Indian Territory, June 28, 1862, was the son of Colbert A. Burris and his wife, Anhoyi (Palmer) Burris. In his youth, Hindman H. Burris attended schools at Stringtown, Atoka, and Caddo, and in 1875 and 1876 at the Colbert Chickasaw National School at old Stonewall. and took advanced studies at Robberson's Academy a few miles southeast of Tishomingo, the name later changed to Chickasaw Male Academy when Joshua M. Harley was superintendent, same later being rebuilt at a new site just north of Tishomingo and called Harley Institute. It turned out many good and useful men. Its department of music was unexcelled and a student paper under leadership of Hindman H. Burris was published for the students and patrons, type being set and the paper printed by the boys of the academy. Hindman H. Burris was united in marriage on April 28, 1885, with Miss Rhoda McGill, who died without children, and on February 26, 1898 was united in marriage with Miss Viola Jackson, by whom he had five children: Hindman H. Burris, Jr., Tishomingo; Anne Worthington, Arcadia, California; Annita Newman, Colbert A. Burris and Perry Burris of Tishomingo. In the early 80's he managed the general store of Governor William L. Byrd at old Stonewall; shortly thereafter he taught a Chickasaw neighborhood school for a few months at Yellow Springs, Pontotoc County. In the late 80's he clerked in the Byrd & Perry Store in Tishomingo, Frank Byrd, a brother of Governor Byrd, being the senior member, and was United States Postmaster there at that time. Then he was there associated with Jim Easton in the mercantile business. Later about 1890 he, with Governor R. M. Harris, and Frank Byrd jointly owned and operated a store in Tishomingo, and later acquired their interest. During this period he established a country home nearby where he operated a farm and engaged in stock raising, on which he erected a suitable building for use by the community as a church and schoolhouse, which was called Burris Chapel. In 1890 he was chairman of the commission that codified the laws of the Chickasaw Nation and a delegate to Washington on part of the tribe; in 1891 auditor of the Chickasaw Nation; in 1896 representative in the Chickasaw legislature from Tishomingo County, and its speaker, and resigned on October 7 at the close of the legislature; in 1896 and 1897 trustee of Burris National School, and treasurer of the Chickasaw Nation, and in 1898 he was a formidable candidate on part of the National party for governor. In 1899 he was trustee of Harley Institute. In prior years he had served as Chickasaw interpreter for the Chickasaw Supreme Court, and at the time of his death was a member of the Chickasaw Council by appointment of the governor of the Nation. He died at Tishomingo on Friday, September 20, 1940, interment in the Chickasaw Cemetery, and survived by his wife and said children, also by two half brothers, George W. Burris, Ada, and Marvin J. Burris, Oklahoma City, and four half-sisters, Mrs. J. H. McKoy, Norman, Mrs. W. W. Woolly, Old Stonewall (Frisco), Mrs. Daisy Farnham, Duncan, and Mrs. Lula D. Rennie, Durant.
[Source: "Chronicles of Oklahoma", Volume 20, No. 2, June, 1942]
William L. Byrd
William L. Byrd, from the most reliable information, was born in Poutotoe, Mississippi, being the son of John Byrd, a white man and Mary Moore, of Chickasaw and Irish descent. Some of Mr. Byrd's political opponents declare him to have been a white child, adopted in infancy by the family; but we do not see any grounds for this supposition. In youth William was sent to school at Pine Ridge, Choctaw Nation, and later to the Chickasaw Male Academy. The first office he held in the service of his country was that of representative, in 1867, and afterward draughtsman of the House for two sessions. At this time he was residing in the Choctaw Nation. Moving to Stonewall in 1875, he was elected one of three in 1887 to revise the Chickasaw laws. In 1881 he was appointed school superintendent, and in 1882 was elected delegate to Washington; was national agent until 1885, and the following year was a candidate for the governorship against William Guy, ex-Governor Wolf, B. C. Burris, Palmer Moseley and R. L. Boyd. The result was considerably in Guy's favor; but, as usual, when a candidate fails to secure a majority of the total votes cast, the matter was referred to the Legislature, and Guy was elected by only one majority over Byrd. In 1888 the race between Byrd and Guy was again run, resulting as before; but Byrd's party being in a majority in the legislature body, they resolved to contest the election, and so doing, cast out a score of devils in the shape of illegal votes, electing Byrd by a majority of forty-eight. Here was a repetition of the Overton-Harris affair, and which was followed by disagreeable results, the United States being called upon to decide the quarrel. Here, again, Byrd was victorious, Uncle Sam being partial to the man of sober aspect and business parts. In 1890, when Sam Paul was in the arena as a representative candidate of the Progressive party, Governor Byrd met him in the lists and defeated him by an immense majority. The disfranchisement of the white voters accounts for this majority, for had the latter been permitted to vote, Paul must undoubtedly have been the victor. In less than a week after the election, the report was passed far and wide that Byrd had been assassinated; but no attempt of the kind has ever come to light. The governor declares his intention of looking after the interests of all his people, without respect to their political creed, nor will he interfere with the landed rights of the white citizens. This he has declared to the writer of this present biography. Governor Byrd entered the mercantile business in 1873, at Doaksville, and moved to Stonewall, where he has been doing an immense business. He has 300 acres under cultivation and 1,000 head of graded cattle. In 1862 he married Susan Folsom, daughter of David Folsom, ex-chief of the Choctaws, but has no family. The children of his neighbors, of whom he is extremely fond, rejoice in climbing to the knees of the big, good-natured man, while he is reading what the press has to say about his barbarous treatment of the white man. Governor Byrd, on his mother's side, is of the house of In-cun-no-mar.
[Source: The Indian Territory, Its Chiefs, Legislators and Leading Men]
JOHN P. CRAWFORD
The ability to win without the aid of publicity has been characteristic of John P. Crawford, of Ada, and it would seem that he has contracted the habit of winning. In politics, in law and in the field of commerce he has been a factor in Pontotoc County for a number of years and in each line of activity he has boon successful. Two terms in the State Legislature brought him into prominence throughout Oklahoma, and, after accomplishing noteworthy achievements as a lawmaker, he retired to his profession at Ada and to looking after his oil, gas and agricultural interests.
John P. Crawford was born in Washington County, Arkansas, in 1872 and is a son of Johnson and Clementine (Gilliland) Crawford. His father, who was a pioneer minister and farmer of Washington County, was also well known in public life, and served as a member of the Fifth Oklahoma Legislature from Mayes County. John P. Crawford was educated in the public schools of Washington County, Arkansas, and at Rogers Academy, Rogers, Arkansas, from which institution he was graduated in 1806 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Thereafter, for two years, he taught in the public schools of Arkansas and at odd times studied law in the office of Jesse London, at Alma, Arkansas. He was admitted to the bar in 1898, at Van Buren, Arkansas, and immediately came West, locating at the then prosperous Town of Center, Indian Territory. After remaining there but a short time, Mr. Crawford moved to Stonewall, Indian Territory, where he practiced law until 1900, being a partner during a part of this time with W. P. Langston. In 1900 Mr. Crawford moved to Ada and formed a partnership with Tom D. McKeown, who is now a district judge of Oklahoma. Later he became associated with J. W. Bolen, and he has continued to maintain this relation, the combination being known as one of the strong ones legally in this part of the state. Mr. Crawford was elected a member of the Oklahoma Legislature in 1910 and was made chairman of the Committee on Appropriations of the House. He was reelected in 1912 and during the sessions of the Fourth Legislature was chairman of the democratic caucus. In 1914 he was a member of the State Democratic Central Committee from Pontotoc County.
Mr. Crawford was married in 1901 to Miss Margaret Truax, of Stonewall, Oklahoma, daughter of Dr. George H. Truax, a well known practicing physician of that town. They are the parents of one son: Arthur, who is twelve years of age and attending the public schools. Mr. Crawford is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and Royal Arch divisions of the Masonic order, and has been master of the former. He is a member also of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America, is affiliated professionally with the Pontotoc County Bar Association and the Oklahoma State Bar Association, and holds membership also in the Sons of Confederate Veterans.
When Mr. Crawford first came to Ada it was a village with a future that was problematic. He soon became a leader in its advancement and has since contributed much toward its building to the high place it now occupies among the cities of the state. He has been a successful lawyer, and good investments have brought him into the possession of some excellent farm land. In the matter of agriculture, he is one of the leaders in this section of the county of those who are practicing the diversification of crops and breaking away from the hard and fast rules of cotton and corn that obtained for so long here to the financial detriment of the farmers. He is interested also in the oil and gas development of the community that lately has assumed an aspect of much importance.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]
Joseph A. Deen, M. D.
As an early settler in that section of Oklahoma once known as the Chickasaw Nation, Doctor Deen has made his life one of exceptional value in the old Indian country and has helped to establish modern communities where not many years ago were profligate red men. large unfilled areas of forest and prairie, cattle ranches and hiding places of men accused of violating every law of God or man. His brain and hand were partially instrumental in the building of the Town of Hickory in Murray County, where he deserves some of the credit for the building of two churches and a modern school building and the organization and provision of a home for the Masonic and Odd Fellows lodges. For several years Doctor Deen has been well established in his practice as a physician and surgeon at Ada.
He was born in Austin, Texas, in 1876, a son of John R. and Mary (Bacon) Deen. His father, also a native of Austin, was an early business man of that city, and married and reared his family there, his wife being also a native of the same city. Doctor Deen has one brother and one sister living: T. W. Deen, a banker at Ardmore, Oklahoma; and Mrs. Stone W. Webster, wife of a furniture dealer at Oklahoma City.
Doctor Deen's primary education was obtained in the public schools of Texas, and after leaving high school he entered the Southwestern University at Georgetown. Texas, where he was graduated A. B. in 1894. In 1896 he began his medical education in the Barnes University at St. Louis and took his degree M. D. from that institution in 1902. He has never since ceased to be a student and has kept himself apace with all the developments of modern medicine. In 1909 he completed a post-graduate course in the Tulane Medical School at New Orleans, and in 1912 took a hospital post-graduate course in Barnes University.
In 1902 Doctor Deen located for practice at Ardmore, Oklahoma, and remained in that city two years. He then removed to the new Town of Hickory, and was for seven years, engaged in caring for a large practice there and also in promoting the general upbuilding of the community. For three years after leaving Hickory he practiced in Western Oklahoma, and in 1912 located at Ada, where he now has a large and satisfactory practice. Doctor Deen is a member of the Pontotoc Medical Society, the Oklahoma Medical Society and the American Medical Association, and is a member of the Pontotoc County Insanity Commission.
Doctor Deen was married at Hickory, Oklahoma, in December, 1904, to Miss Ada Mitchell. They have two children, Othel, aged ten, and Gerald, aged eight. In Masonry Doctor Deen is affiliated with the Lodge and Royal Arch chapters, and is also a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is secretary of the Democratic County Central Committee of Pontotoc County, secretary of the Pontotoc County Democratic Club, secretary of the Democratic County Finance Committee and a member of the Democratic Central Committee of Ada from the Fourth Ward. Above these various interests Doctor Deen can be called an enthusiastic member of that large organization of men in Oklahoma known as boosters, and is one of the solid, substantial citizens of his home town.
[Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
Robert Samuel Kerr
Robert Samuel Kerr, Democrat. Served from 1943-1947. Oklahoma's first native-born governor, was born near Ada, Indian Territory, September 11, 1896. His college work was done at East Central Normal School, and Oklahoma Baptist University. He was admitted to the Oklahoma Bar in 1922, and practiced in Ada. Beginning as a drilling contractor in 1926, he built up a large oil producing company and at the time of his death was President of the Kerr-McGee Oil Industries, Inc. He served as Governor of Oklahoma from January 13, 1943, to January 13, 1947. He was elected U.S. Senator on November 2, 1948, and served until his death January 1, 1963. While governor, Kerr's administration liquidated the state debt. During his tenure as U.S. Senator, he worked to get the McClellan-Kerr Arkansas River Navigation System developed, changing much of Oklahoma's landscape. He is buried at his birthplace near Ada.
James Jackson McAlester
James Jackson McAlester, also known "J. J." McAlester, contributed to the development of the Choctaw Nation in Indian Territory and later emerged as a prominent and influential leader in the state of Oklahoma. He has been hailed as "the Father of Eastern Oklahoma," and contemporaries acclaimed him as the founder of the Oklahoma coal industry and the southeastern Oklahoma town of McAlester. McAlester served as one of Oklahoma's most respected businessmen and politicians.
Born in Sebastian County, Arkansas, on October 1, 1842, McAlester spent his formative years in Fort Smith, Arkansas. Volunteering for service in the Confederate Army at the outbreak of the Civil War, he rose to the rank of captain prior to discharge. At the conclusion of war McAlester boarded with Oliver Weldon while pursuing studies in Fort Smith. Weldon, a former engineer who had surveyed Indian Territory, gave McAlester his memorandum book that detailed vast coal fields at the Cross Roads area in Indian Territory.
With this valuable information, McAlester left school and moved to Indian Territory. At age twenty-four he entered the Choctaw Nation. He found employment with the Indian trading firm of Harlan and Rooks. Later he worked for Reynolds and Hannaford, a firm of post traders. Eventually McAlester bought out his partners and established a store near the outcroppings of coal. In 1872 McAlester courted and married Rebecca Burney, a Chickasaw girl and sister of Ben Burney, a future governor of the Chickasaw Nation. This union brought McAlester full citizenship and rights in both Choctaw and Chickasaw nations. His citizenship entitled him to stake a claim to coal deposits within a one-mile radius from point of discovery. Over time, McAlester's interests in coal burgeoned, and with the arrival of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad through the Cross-Roads area, the J. J. McAlester Mercantile Company flourished as coal production soared. During McAlester's colorful lifetime he worked in politics, mining,banking, business, law enforcement and ranching. In 1893 Pres. Grover Cleveland appointed him the U.S. marshal for Indian Territory. He served one term ending in 1897. From 1907 to 1911 he acted as a member of the Oklahoma Corporation Commission. In 1911 the people of Oklahoma elected him lieutenant governor under Gov. Lee Cruse. On September 21, 1920, J. J. McAlester died in the town that bears his name.
[The Chronicles of Oklahoma II, June 1933]
Thomas Deitz McKeown
Thomas Deitz "Tom" McKeown was born in Blackstock, South Carolina, on June 4, 1878, U.S. Representative Thomas Deitz McKeown was the son of Theodore B. and Annie Robinson McKeown. Educated in the public schools and by private tutors, the future solon attended special law lectures at Cornell University. Admitted to the bar in 1899, he began his practice in Malvern, Arkansas. By 1901 he had moved his practice to Ada, in Indian Territory. A year later he married Anna Sanders. A member of Oklahoma's first state bar commission, McKeown served in various judicial positions until 1916. That year he made a successful campaign for Oklahoma's Fourth District seat in the U.S. House of Representatives. Elected as a Democrat, he served two terms. Defeated in 1920, he regained the seat in 1922 and served continuously for five more terms. While in Congress, he was a member of various committees, including Insular Affairs, Revision of the Laws, Coinage, Weights, and Measures, Merchant Marine and Fisheries, Roads, and Judiciary. During his congressional tenure he coauthored the LaGuardia-McKeown Corporate Bankruptcy Bill, introduced the first old-age assistance bill and the first oil compact bill, formulated numerous bills favoring veterans, and called for various farm relief programs. Following his defeat for reelection in 1934, McKeown moved to Chicago, where he opened a law practice. He returned to Ada in 1937 and devoted his time to farming and oil production. In April 1946 he reentered public service when he became Pontotoc County attorney. The following year he became county judge and served until his death in Ada on October 22, 1951. He was interred in Rosedale Cemetery.
[Source: "Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture"]
CHARLES L. ORB
The ambition and determination that have self-reliance as their basis will hold as insuperable no obstacles that may obtrude in their course, and this was significantly proved in the case of the present popular and efficient assistant county attorney of Pontotoc County, for it was largely through his own efforts that he defrayed the expenses incidental to the obtaining of his higher academic and his professional education. Including the period of his work in the preparatory department of the institution Mr. Orr remained a student for a total of six years in the University of Oklahoma, from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1912 and that of Bachelor of Laws in 1914. He has been a resident of Oklahoma since his early youth and is now numbered among the representative younger members of the bar of Pontotoc County, with residence and official headquarters in the fine little City of Ada, the county seat, his tenure of his present position of assistant county attorney having continued during virtually the entire period of time since he was admitted to the bar. During a portion of his university career he was employed in the office of the treasurer of the institution, at other times he clerked in mercantile establishments at Norman, and through still other worthy mediums of employment he further added to the financial resources that made possible the completion of his education and the attainment of his ambition to enter the legal profession. Oklahoma has many young men who have made their way through school by their own initiative and efforts, but it is probable that there are few of the number who have thus pressed forward to the goal of their desire and been mainly self-dependent during so long a period of student application as did Mr. Orr.
Charles L. Orr was born at Waxahachie, Ellis County, Texas, on the 4th of July, 1889, and is a son of Dr. Charles L. and Edna (Forrester) Orr, who now maintain their home at Roff, Pontotoc County, Oklahoma, where the father has been engaged in successful practice as a physician and surgeon for the past decade. Doctor Orr is a native of Texas and a representative of one of the sterling pioneer families of the Lone Star State, where he initiated the practice of his profession after his graduation in the Louisville Medical College, in the metropolis of Louisville, Kentucky. In his early professional career as a physician and surgeon in a pioneer period of the history of Southern Texas he made a record not surpassed by many of his confreres in the administering of attention to the wounds of men who were wounded through being cut or shot in the fights and brawls that were of frequent occurrence in the locality and period. The Orr family was founded in America prior to the war of the Revolution and an ancestor of the subject of this review was one Captain Orr, who was a gallant captain of the patriot forces engaged in the great struggle for national independence. In the maternal line Mr. Orr is able to claim direct kinship with the family that produced Thomas Carlyle, the distinguished Scotch historian and miscellaneous writer and also that produced Gen. Nathaniel Greene, of American Revolutionary fame.
The early educational discipline of Charles L. Orr was obtained in the public schools of his native city. Removing with his family to Oklahoma, he was reared to maturity in Pontotoc County and after his graduation in the high school in the Village of Roff, he spent a year in the preparatory department of the University of Oklahoma. He finally completed in this institution a full academic or literary course and was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, in 1912. He did not abate in the least his student zeal and ambition, but forthwith gave his undivided attention to the work of the law department of the university, from which he received in 1914 the degree of Bachelor of Laws, as previously noted in this context. He was admitted to the bar in June of the last mentioned year and began practice at Roff. In January of the following year he was appointed assistant county attorney, and as such he has since given efficient service, with residence at Ada. the county seat.
Mr. Orr is found aligned as a staunch advocate of the principles of the democratic party and is a member of the Young Men's Democratic League of Oklahoma. He is identified with the Pontotoc County Bar Association and the Oklahoma State Bar Association, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and is affiliated with the Kappa Sigma, the Phi Delta Phi, and the Pe-et college fraternities, the last mentioned being an Indian society of honorary rank in the senior year of the course at the University of Oklahoma. Mr. Orr took an active and influential part in athletics while a student in the university and was captain and manager of the baseball team of the institution. He made a special study of economics and in his law practice has given much attention to public utilities and the legal features pertaining to the same, his professional work having had much to do with this special line of practice. He still permits his name to be enrolled on the list of eligible young bachelors in Pontotoc County. It may be noted that Mr. Orr has three brothers: Benjamin F., who holds a position in the offices of the Texas Light & Power Company, in the City of Dallas; J. Fred, who is engaged in business at Roff, Oklahoma; and Guy, who remains at the parental home, at Roff. The two brothers first mentioned have been students at the University of Oklahoma. ["A standard history of Oklahoma", Volume 3, 1916; By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]
DAN M. PENDLETON
Now engaged in the practice of law at Ada, Mr. Pendleton will be readily recognized as one of the fortunate young men of the Southwest. He has had all those natural endowments and cultural advantages which furnish the best preparation for a life of service and important accomplishment. He has birth and ancestry, and in his lineage are found eminent patriots, statesmen, jurists and public leaders in American life. He also came to the West with a thorough legal education and wide experience in association with prominent men. During the few years he has lived in Seminole and Pontotoc counties he has become a leader in his profession. Virile, energetic, ambitious, Mr. Pendleton is of that class of worth-while young men that is contributing so great a measure of elements to the progress of Oklahoma.
Dan M. Pendleton was born in Spencer, West Virginia, April 6, 1887, a son of Walter and Nellie (McMath) Pendleton. His father is one of the distinguished lawyers of West Virginia and a man of national reputation. He was the democratic nominee for congress in the Fourth District of West Virginia in 1896 and the democratic nominee for judge of the Supreme Court in 1908. Each time he was defeated by a small majority, in the latter race running ahead of his ticket by approximately ten thousand votes. He has traveled extensively in Europe, the Holy Land and Egypt and has written extensively concerning the countries of the Old World visited by him. Judge Walter Pendleton is AN attorney for the Carter Oil Company in West Virginia, which is one of the largest producers in the well known Cushing, Oklahoma, oil field, and is also attorney for the Baltimore & Ohio Railway Company and other corporations of the East. One of the great-uncles of Dan Pendleton was Edmund Pendleton, the first president of the Continental Congress, who assisted in drafting the Declaration of Independence though not a signer of that document, was an opponent of Patrick Henry in many debates in the House of Burgesses in Virginia, was associated with Thomas Jefferson and George Wythe in drafting the first code of the State of Virginia, which was the first state code in the United States and was first president of the Supreme Court of Virginia. In his honor Pendleton County, West Virginia, was named. Another prominent ancestor was Nathaniel Pendleton, who belonged to a New York branch of the family, and was the second for Alexander Hamilton in the duel with Aaron Burr. George Pendleton, of the Ohio branch of the family, was a United States Senator and a member of Congress from Ohio, was ambassador to Germany, and in 1864 was a candidate for the vice presidency on the democratic ticket.
Dan M. Pendleton received his common school education in Spencer, West Virginia, and later attended the University Preparatory School at Morgantown, and in 190/5 was graduated from the high school at Parkersburg. Having already taken a year and a half in preparatory school ho graduated from the law department of the University of West Virginia in 1907. For the following year he was employed in his father 'a law office and was also engaged in abstracting land titles for the South Penn Oil Company and later formed a partnership with his father under the firm name of Pendleton & Pendleton at Spencer. The firm subsequently became Pendleton, Matthews, Bell & Pendleton, and in 1910 the firm had offices at Spencer, Grantsville, Point Pleasant and Ripley, with the younger Pendleton in charge of the Ripley office. In June, 1911, he came west and settled at Konawa, Oklahoma, for the practice of law. The following year he was a candidate for the nomination for prosecuting attorney on the democratic ticket, and though defeated was second in a race with four other democrats. In September, 1913, he removed to Ada and has since become successfully established as a lawyer. At Ada he succeeded Judge C. A. Galbreath, who became a member of the Oklahoma Supreme Court Commission, in the firm of Galbreath, Epperson & Maxey, the now firm becoming Epperson, Maxey & Pendleton. On November 1, 1914. Mr. Pendleton retired from the firm and established an office of his own.
January 16, 1915. he married Miss Edna Morford of Parkersburg, West Virginia. Mr. Pendleton is affiliated with the Elks Lodge at Ada, having transferred his membership from Parkersburg, West Virginia. He is a member of the Ada Commercial Club and of the Pontotoc County and Oklahoma State Bar associations. He is considerably interested in the development of sections of the oil fields of Oklahoma and owns property in Pontotoc county.
It is said that Mr. Pendleton probably knows more men in public life than any other young man of his age in the West. During the last ten years he has been a frequent visitor to Washington and has attended a number of sessions of Congress and knows personally and by sight a large number of the members of both House and Senate of Congress. This experience has naturally broadened him in matters of public interest and has given him a ready fund of information on national issues. He takes an interest in the democratic politics of Ada and Pontotoc county, and willingly puts his services into any movement for industrial and commercial advantage.
[A Standard History of Oklahoma , by Joseph B. Thoburn , 1916 -- Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]
U. G. WINN
Much that is of consequence in the history of the list twenty years in the old Chickasaw Nation of Oklahoma-it's most important epoch-is reflected in the experiences of Judge Winn, who as one of the pioneer United States commissioners of this section assisted in ridding it of outlaws, whiskey peddlers and other undesirable characters. The once thriving Town of Center, situated twenty miles from Pauls Valley, which for years was the nearest railroad town, was the home of Judge Winn while he was a servant of the Federal Government. The country was sparsely settled, and afforded a free range for refugees from justice and the active violators of the law. Many of these renegades appeared at one time or another in his court, to which was attached a constable and two deputy marshals. Judge Winn by his actions practically set a date for the end of lawlessness in his district. Time after time the outlaws were remanded in this decree when they were held for trial before the United States courts, over which at that time in that district Judge Hosea Townsend presided. Such prompt and courageous handling of the forces of justice soon gave indication that the stronghold of lawlessness was to be broken up, and facing such an issue the ill-assorted characters attempted to intimidate the fearless commissioner. At length he received word that he was to be attacked by the outlaws and strung to a tree with a rope. They meant business, and Judge Winn knew it. He therefore called in his official force and instructed them to arm citizens of the town in a body of defense. All good men rallied to the call and when the outlaws appeared they were completely routed by the Winn forces. That was the beginning of the end of the reign of lawlessness in that part of the present State of Oklahoma. The end came a few years later when respectable men of Pontotoc County, incensed by the slow processes of justice, took four of the leaders of the outlaws from the county jail in Ada and lynched them on a public street.
Judge Winn, who had for many years been one of the substantial lawyers of Southern Oklahoma, and is now again practicing at Ada, was born in Christian County, Missouri, May 30, 1864, a son of Larkin David and Sophia A. (Looney) Winn. His father, a native of Tennessee and an early settler of Missouri, was descended from Irish and Scotch emigrants who came early to America from Ireland. Judge Winn has four brothers. John C. Winn is a minister at Sparks, Oklahoma; Willis M. Winn is a merchant at Seminole, Oklahoma; Ira B. Winn is an architect of Springfield, Missouri; and Columbus M. Winn is a farmer and stockman at Nowata, Oklahoma.
Judge Winn obtained his early education in Arkansas, to which state the family moved in 1870. The father had died in Missouri. After finishing the course of the common schools he took a teacher's course in the State Normal School at Mount Nebo, following which came a law course in the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. When seventeen years of age Judge Winn was a teacher, and for three years had charge of schools in country districts prior to entering the State Normal. With a certificate from the State Normal he continued educational work for seven years. In the meantime he had come to Oklahoma, and in 1894 located at Duncan, where for two years he was in the mercantile business.
Judge Winn was admitted to the bar at Chickasha in 1890, being licensed to practice in the United States courts. A year later he began the practice of law at Center, Oklahoma, and in October of the same year received his first commission as judge of the United States Commissioners' Court. He served in that capacity until 1901, and that was the period during which he was most exposed to the dangers of the frontier and in which his prompt execution of justice brought about such important reforms in his district. In 1901 he resumed the practice of law at Ada, and during the following four years he had a large private business and was also attorney for the Frisco Railroad Company. Then came another appointment as judge of the United States Commissioners' Court, and he discharged the duties of that office until 1907. During the first three years of Oklahoma statehood he was a farmer and stock raiser at Ada, and on May 4, 1910, Was appointed postmaster at Ada, and remained in charge of the Federal office until February, 1914. More than ten years of Judge Winn's life in Oklahoma has been spent in the service of the Federal Government. Since leaving the post-office Judge Winn has continued in the practice of law at Ada and is enjoying a most lucrative practice.
Judge Winn has come in touch with the developing life and interests of old Indian Territory and new Oklahoma at many points. In 1893 he organized the first public school at Rush Springs, Oklahoma, taught a part of one term, but resigned later in the same year to make the run into the Cherokee Strip. He staked a piece of ground in Enid, only to find later that his stakes were driven into a street. He then went into the country and located a homestead, but subsequently abandoned it before proving up. While serving as commissioner his district embraced an area that was twice as large as the present County of Pontotoc. At the same time his court was held in a small box house at Center and later in a storeroom that was owned by the late ex-Governor Byrd of the Chickasaw Nation.
Judge Winn was married at Duncan, Oklahoma, to Miss Minnie L. Gibbs. They have three children: Ulysses G., Jr., who is a student in the East Central State Normal School at Ada; William L. and Ruby Thelma, both of whom are iii the Ada High School. Judge Winn is a member of the Christian Church, is a past chancellor of the Knights of Pythias Lodge and also affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He is a member of the Pontotoc County' and Oklahoma State Bar associations and of the Ada Commercial Club. In 1909 he served as deputy clerk of the United States Court at Muskogee. Both in territorial and statehood times he has been one of the leading figures in the republican party. For ten years he has been a member of the State Republican Central Committee, and in 1910 was tendered the party nomination for Congress from the Fourth Oklahoma District, but declined to accept. He still has farm and live stock interests and owns considerable property in Ada. Judge Winn organized the Union Oil & Gas Company of Ada with a capital stock of $30,000, and is still a stockholder in the organization, and was also one of the organizers of the Ada Building & Investment Company, Capitalized at $25,000, and for several years was a stockholder. Having been a pioneer factor in the development of the community, Judge Winn is still an enthusiastic apostle of its welfare.
["A standard history of Oklahoma", Volume 3, 1916; By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Transcribed by Cathy Ritter]
Robert C. Roland
Few men who have reached the age of thirty-five years with but meager fundamentals of a school education go back and gather up the threads of their youthful ambition and, putting them together, build up a determination to yet acquire the essentials for a successful professional career. Robert C. Roland, a prominent and successful lawyer of Ada, must be classed among those few, for until he had attained that age he had but a few months of schooling, this training secured before he reached the age of fifteen years.
At that age Mr. Roland's father moved to Indian Territory, which was then a country sparsely settled by whites, and with few educational and social opportunities. As Mr. Poland began to approach manhood he was more and more impressed with the endless possibilities of the new country. All opportunity for education had not been allowed to pass, however, for he was a devoted student from early boyhood. At the age of twenty-four years, when he was married to Miss Fannie Adams, of Ardmore, his earlier ambitions were beginning to become more active, but it was not until eleven years later, in 1904, that he determined to take the necessary steps toward a higher education. Accordingly, he sold out his interests in the Indian Territory and returned to Texas, entering there the North Texas Baptist Academy, at Westminster, where he remained two years, attending night school. In the meantime, early in his career he had learned the trade of blacksmith and this he followed at Westminster while pursuing his studies. After completing the academy course, he returned to Indian Territory and taught school two terms, one of them at Conway, in what is now Pontotoc County. It lasted three months and $6.00 was the total amount of tuition collected in money; the rest of his fees he took in corn,chickens and other things acceptable to the family larder, and home-made tobacco, which was extensively grown in those days.
Robert C. Roland was born in Collin County, Texas, in 1809, on the farm on which his father had been born in 1850. His parents, John C. and Tabitha L. (Gristain?) Roland, are now living at Ada. His father entered the Confederate army at the age of thirteen years, enlisting in Collin County, Texas, and served through the remainder of the war as a member of a company of frontier home guards. His mother is a daughter of Capt. Madison Griffin, one of the best known men of his day in Alabama. Mr. Roland has seven living brothers and sisters; James, who is engaged in 1 arming operations at South Bellingham, Washington; Henry, who is an agriculturist at Coleman, Oklahoma; Dudley, who is one of the leading farmers and stockmen of Grady County, and makes his home at Cement, Oklahoma; Clyde, who is employed in the oil fields of dishing, Oklahoma; Mrs. May Morrison, who is the wife of a farmer at Chickasha, Oklahoma; Mrs. Minnie Harmon, who is the wife of a farmer of Montague County, Texas; and Mrs. Josie Rains, who is the wife of a farmer and stockman at Muskogee, Oklahoma.
Robert C. Roland began the study of law in 1905 in the office of Tom D. McKeown, now district judge at Ada, and to Judge McKeown he gives most of the credit for his having become a successful lawyer. When he was admitted to the bar, in 1907, Judge McKeown gave him a part of his library and he entered the practice at Ada. He began to take an active interest in democratic politics and in 1912 was elected county attorney of Pontotoc County, a position which he held until January, 1915. During a part of that interim of his career, after finishing his education in Texas, Mr. Roland was engaged in the ministry of the Baptist Church. He filled pulpits at Roff, Hickory, Center and other places and at Ada was first pastor of the' North Ada Baptist Church. His faith in the principles of the democratic party led him to the stump in campaign years and he has debated with some of the best talent of the socialist party that has been sent into this section of the state.
Of the nine children born to Mr. and Mrs. Roland, one son and three daughters are living, namely: Jewell, aged eighteen, and Helen, aged sixteen, who are students of the Ada High School; Ruth, aged thirteen years; and Howard Dudley Keller, who is three years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Roland are members of the Christian Church. He belongs to the Woodmen of the World, and is a charter member of the Odd Fellows Lodge at Midland, Oklahoma in which he has filled all the chairs, and he is also a member of the Eagles" He is a member of the county and state bar associations, and is a charter member of the Ada Commercial Club.
Among interesting experiences of pioneer days of Indian Territory, Mr. Roland recalls that prior to 1891 there was no law against the carrying of pistols and he has seen young men accompanying their barefooted sweethearts to church with white-handled revolvers protruding from the young men's pockets. A law was passed in 1891 forbidding the carrying of concealed weapons and he recalls having seen many young men, unable to. buy ammunition for their revolvers, trade these weapons for pocket knives. Mr. Roland his always had an abiding interest in education, and while he was county attorney he made it a rule never to prosecute a teacher charged with assault and battery until after the teacher and the board of education had submitted the matter to arbitration. His first home in Indian Territory was fifteen miles east of Ada and at that time, except for four other families in the neighborhood, there was not a white neighbor within a radius of fifteen miles. He recalls killing a deer on the site now occupied by the plant of the Ada cotton mill when there was not a house within four miles of the spot. He heard the report of the gun that killed Bill Dalton, a notorious outlaw of early days in Indian Territory, and saw the killing of Osavia, a noted Mexican outlaw, by John Strickland. He witnessed the killing of Jim Starr, another notorious character, by Robert Hutchins, now chief of police at Ardmore, and Bub Stringer. Mr. Roland and his father carried '' Preacher'' Perkins off the field when he had been killed by members of the famous Doolin gang, at Woodford, Indian Territory. However, these days of outlawry and crime have now passed, and Mr. Roland has done his full share in bringing about the enlightenment that has made this one of the most law-abiding communities in the great Southwest.
[Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Submitted by A Friend of Free Genealogy]
Charles W. Briles
The president of the East Central State Normal School of Oklahoma is naturally one of the prominent and influential figures in connection with educational affairs in this commonwealth and such official preferment as is his attests fully his high scholarship and his executive and constructive ability. Coming to the West as a young man recently graduated in the University of North Carolina, Mr. Briles initiated his pedagogic career as a teacher in an obscure rural school in Northern Texas, but not for him was long continued service in such capacity, for his ambition and talent fitted him for broader activities in his chosen profession, and his advancement has been consecutive and well merited. He has done most effective constructive work in his present position, has been a resident of Oklahoma since 1905 and is known and honored as one of the leading forces in educational activities in the state of his adoption, the admirable institution of which he is the executive head being located at Ada, the judicial center of Pontotoc County.
Professor Briles was born in Davidson County, North Carolina, in the year 1873, and is a son of Millard Fillmore Briles and Sallie (Lopp) Briles. His ancestors were of sturdy Holland Dutch stock and his forebears in the agnostic lines settled in North Carolina shortly after the close of the War of the Revolution, the maternal ancestors having become residents of Pennsylvania in 1778. The father of President Briles has been identified with the great basic industry of agriculture from his youth to the present time and he and his wife still reside on the ancestral homestead farm of the Briles family, the place where his great-grandfather settled shortly after the close of the Revolution. On this farm is an historic graveyard which the North Carolina Historical Society believes to contain the bodies of the members of celebrated Croiton Colony that was lost early in the settlement of the state. Excavations have been made under the direction of the historical society and the remains of white persons have been found, this fact lending credibility to the presumption that here was the resting place of the historic lost colony, whose representatives may have succumbed during some epidemic scourge or may have suffered practical obliteration at the hands of Indians.
The early education of Professor Briles was acquired in the public schools of his native state and in the furtherance of his higher academic education he was fortunate in being able to avail himself of the provisions of a college-loan fund established by an honored philanthropist named Deems, of New York City, his own financial resources having been virtually none, so that he was favored in being accorded the reinforcement demanded in the achievement of his ambitious purpose. As a member of the class of 1896 he was graduated in the University of North Carolina, with the degree of Bachelor of Letters, his having been the one hundred and first class to be graduated in that institution.
Immediately after his graduation Professor Briles set forth for the Southwest for the purpose of instituting his work as a teacher. Upon his arrival at Greenwood, Wise County, Texas, he was fortunate in being able to obtain the position of 'teacher in tho only school, in a rural district, for which such provision had not previously been made for that year. During his pedagogic career in the Lone Star State he taught in some of the best schools of Wise, Erath and Grayson counties and was the conductor of three summer normal institutes in Wise County. He was a member of the State Board of School Examiners for one year and a member for one term of the faculty of the summer school of the University of Texas. Coming to Oklahoma in 1905 from the City of Sherman, Texas, where he had served as principal of the high school, Professor Briles was elected superintendent of the public schools of the City of Muskogee, a position which he retained four years and which he resigned in 1909 to become the first president of the newly created East Central State Normal School, this preferment having come to him unsolicited and having been tho result of official appreciation of his special eligibility. Prior to leaving Muskogee he had caused to be prepared plans and specifications for the magnificent new high school building in that city and had the satisfaction of seeing the first dirt turned for the erection of the fine building, which was finally completed at a cost of $325,000. In point of continuous service Professor Briles now has the distinction of being the oldest head of a state educational institution in Oklahoma, and in his present responsible office he has found opportunity to bring out his exceptional strength as an organizer and as a progressive executive of admirable constructive and initiative ability. The handsome and well appointed building of the East Central State Normal School was erected in 1909, at a cost of $100,000. It is situated on a beautiful eminence in the eastern part of the thriving little City of Ada and the surrounding gardens and attractive lawn and landscape effects represent the products of the aesthetic ideas and practical skill of Mrs. Briles, who constituted herself the voluntary supervisor of the work at the time of its initiation and to whom is due great credit for the exquisite landscape-gardening that has added so greatly to the attractions of this successful educational institution of Oklahoma.
While the equipment of the East Central Normal School has not as yet, owing to the comparative youth of the institution and the state that supports it, been brought up to the ultimate standard demanded by modern ideals, yet the facilities and appointments are of most excellent order and are constantly being advanced under the able and progressive administration of President Briles. In the year in which the institution initiated its work, in 1909, its enrollment of students numbered only 304 persons, and the growth of the school is indicated by the fact that in 1915 the enrollment is 1,276 persons. Twenty-one teachers are employed, and in 1915 the graduating class numbered fifty-six students, the first class, that of 1910, having had but five members. The work of the institution has been thoroughly systematized under the direction of President Briles, whose earnestness and enthusiasm have been infectious and brought forth the best work on the part of both instructors and students.
Professor Briles is loyal and public-spirited as a citizen, is actively identified with the Ada Commercial Club, is an influential and popular member of the Oklahoma Educational Association, besides holding membership in the National Educational Association, and his vital interest in the progress of agricultural industry in Oklahoma being indicated by his ownership of a well improved farm in Pontotoc County, the same being devoted principally to the growing of gram and alfalfa. Both he and his wife are zealous members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South and are leaders in the representative social activities of their home community.
In the year 1901 was solemnized the marriage of Professor Briles to Miss Maggie Cox, of Gainesville, Texas, of which state she is a native, her father having been a pioneer farmer in Cooke County, Texas, and sue being related by kinship to the late John H. Reagan, a prominent and influential citizen of the Lone Star State.
[Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
Judge William Harrison Jackson
The careers of few individuals furnish more instructive and interesting commentary upon the history and life of that section of Oklahoma originally known as the Chickasaw Nation than that of Judge Jackson, a splendid type of the pioneer white man in the Indian country, and who is the recognized founder and developer of that beautiful resort and industrial town known as Bromide, where he has his attractive home, and is now engaged largely in looking after his real estate, mining and other extensive interests.
Until the adoption of an amendment to their constitution that placed the government exclusively in the hands of men of Indian blood, the Chickasaw Indians probably never conferred as many distinguished honors upon a person out-side the tribe as upon Judge Jackson. And in view of the fact that no tribe of Indians in America ever had a more perfect system of government or conducted it with more regularity and regard for the interests of their people, the honors Judge Jackson received differ materially from and arc of far more interest than those given by any other nation of red men to their white citizens. He came among those Indians forty-five years ago, a stripling of eighteen, lured into the virgin West through association with a young Chickasaw who was living in Lebanon, Wilson County, Tennessee. The place of Judge Jackson's birth was Ray County, Tennessee. The Chickasaws all but adopted him into the tribe, and after his marriage to a maiden of Indian blood, whose antecedents were the notable family of Maytubbys, he became as near one of the tribe as a white man could possibly be.
After coming into the Indian country forty-five years ago, Judge Jackson's first experience was as a cowboy on the old ranch of David A. Folsom on Blue River at Nail Crossing, a point of historic interest because of its being a station on the military stage coach line between Fort Smith. Arkansas, and El Paso, Texas. Judge Jackson's father was James Madison Jackson, a native of Virginia, and a veteran of both the Mexican and Civil wars. His mother is now living in Tennessee at the age of eighty. Judge Jackson has a brother and a sister living: Andrew Perry Jackson, of Sycamore, Tennessee; and Mrs. Katherine Shaw, wife of a physician at Ashland, Tennessee. Judge Jackson acquired his early education as a pupil under Prof. J. E. Scoby, one of the best-known educators in Tennessee half a century ago.
At the age of twenty-three Judge Jackson was elected county judge of Pontotoc County, then one of the most progressive counties of the Chickasaw Nation. That position he held for two years, after which he served two terms as a member of the Lower House of the Chickasaw Legislature. It was during the first of these terms that Capt. David L. Payne, Captain Couch and others of the type known as "Oklahoma boomers," by making expeditions into the western part of the territory, since Oklahoma, caused the Chickasaws much perturbation since these movements foretold the ultimate division of the country, the opening of Oklahoma Territory to white settlement, and eventually the creation of a state that would bring about the dissolution of the tribal government. Thus the session of which Judge Jackson was a member was marked with much Indian oratory in opposition to any probable action by Congress that would bring about these results.
After his term in the legislature Judge Jackson was elected attorney general of the Chickasaw Nation. During this period the question of citizenship was the most important that came before the nation's legal adviser. Hundreds of applications were filed, and they came from Mississippi.and various other states to the east. Many of those who applied made the most absurd and ridiculous claims. Judge Jackson relates that some sent photographs accompanied by locks of hair that always were coal black, and never a blue eye was shown in a picture, whereas there are many persons of Indian blood who have blue eyes and light hair. And it is significant that no witness ever came in person to assist in establishing the professed right of a claimant. So varied were these claims and so preposterous some of them that Judge Jackson declined to consider them at all. He made an extended report to the Legislature regarding them, asking that body to pass a law defining the grounds on which a claimant should be considered. The Legislature did so, and provided that each claimant should thereafter give the family and "house" name. As a result applications became fewer, though the new law brought out many applications from persons claiming to be descendants from Pocahontas.
During his term as attorney general Judge B. W. Carter, father of Congressman Charles Carter of Ardmore, was district judge of the Chickasaw Nation. Judge Carter was one of the most advanced men of the nation in educational matters, and the Legislature requested that he resign to become the head of the National Academy at Tishomingo, the capital. Judge Carter replied that he would be pleased to accept the place if Judge Jackson were elected to succeed him on the bench. Carter resigned and Governor Guy appointed Jackson as his successor, and for two years Judge Jack son was incumbent of that judicial position.
Though his early education in Tennessee had been somewhat limited, Judge Jackson all his life had been a student, many years ago gained admission to the bar of the Chickasaw Nation, and was considered one of the best educated men in his part of the territory. Having filled the various places above enumerated so satisfactorily, the Indian people picked him for an educational post, and he was made superintendent of Rock Academy, afterwards known as Wapanucka Institute, in which a number of the state's most prominent men of Indian blood have been educated. The school during his administration had sixty students, and was conducted at the expense of and under the supervision of the nation. Judge Jackson remained at its head five years, resigning to become superintendent of Collins Institute, a Chickasaw school for girls that was located near old Stonewall, now known as Frisco. Here forty girls were under his tuition, and he continued as superintendent there five years. Then came the disfranchisement act of the Legislature, excluding all intermarried citizens from official positions. Thereupon Judge Jackson took charge of his ranch, located four miles west of the present Town of Bromide.
Important though his public service has been, Judge Jackson has probably contributed his greatest work through his share in the industrial development of the Chickasaw country, He became familiar with the mineral resources of the nation, but for many years was unable to develop them because of an act of the Legislature that prohibited mineral development. This act was an expression of the Indian feeling that a source of sacredness resided in minerals, and that their development would fill the nation with white speculators who eventually would take possession of the land and thereby deprive the Indians of their freedom and incidentally of their hunting grounds and game. As is well known at the present time, the old Chickasaw country abounded in deposits of mangaifese, oolitic stone, glass sand, limestone and other minerals. At length through the influence of Col. M. Lem Reynolds, a member of the Chickasaw Senate and one of the most influential men of the nation, Judge Jackson persuaded the Legislature to pass a law permitting prospecting for coal. This was already being done in the Choctaw Nation, where large deposits of coal were found. Meantime, the manganese deposits were discovered in great quantities in the region of the bromide and sulphur springs about Wapanncka. Judge Jackson, Douglas H. Johnston, afterwards governor of the nation. Governor R. M. Harris and Richard McLish formed a company for the development of this mineral. They went before the Legislature, presented their charter, and procured the passage of an act giving them the right to prospect for all kinds of minerals.
It was eighteen years ago that manganese development was begun, and the first shipment of ore, consisting of 210 tons, was sent to the Illinois Steel Company, being hauled with ox teams to Lehigh, the nearest railroad station, a distance of twenty miles. Afterwards 800 tons were shipped from Wapanucka, a distance of nine miles from the mines, to the American Car Foundry Company at St. Louis. A few years later, Robert Galbreath of Tulsa, one of the state's leading oil operators and capitalists, purchased a half interest in 150 acres of land containing manganese deposits, from Judge Jackson, and still later Galbreath contracted for the other half interest, Judge Jackson holding a one-third interest in the company that was formed. Mr. Galbreath has since been developing this property.
In the vicinity of the present Town of Bromide explorations were undertaken some years ago by B. A. Ludgate, a Canadian geologist, who was the first to ascertain the medicinal properties of the springs. About this time the Dawes Commission had begun its inquiry into the nature of the land and was preparing to set aside into a special class those of mineral value. These activities led to* the establishment of Piatt National Park at Sulphur, where mineral waters similar to those at Bromide were found. Judge Jackson, who had already done some development work and had the report of the geologist above named before him, covered up his springs and withheld from the commission and from the public the true nature of the waters. Some suspicion was attached to his acts, however, and it required two years for him to get a patent to the land on which the springs are located. When the patent was finally obtained his activities were renewed, and eventually the Town of Bromide was established, and owing to its picturesque situation, the presence of the springs and the abundance of minerals in that section, it has become one of the leading health and pleasure resorts of the state.
The spirit of enterprise which has been exemplified by Judge Jackson is well illustrated in one of his earlier and less successful undertakings. In 1886 he built one of the first mills operated by water power in the Chickasaw Nation. At Viola he found a waterfall of fifty-two feet, and the overshot wheel which he installed was forty feet in diameter. This made the plant one of the largest in the Southwest, and the power was used for the operation of a sawmill, a grist mill and a cotton gin. Though the plant cost $9,000, it was never successful, and Judge Jackson soon discovered that he was about twenty-five years ahead of the development of the country.
The history of the Bromide community might be entirely told in the record of Judge Jackson, but it will suffice to merely mention some of his more important activities in recent years. One of these was in procuring the construction of a branch of the Missouri, Oklahoma & Gulf Railroad to Bromide, a project that cost him personally $7,500. He was also instrumental in the opening of the extensive deposits of limestone near his home; the establishment of the oolitic stone plant, which turns out some of the finest building material found in the United States; the establishment of a rock crushing plant by the Missouri, Oklahoma & Gulf Company, which is furnishing ballast material for railroads and paving material to cities all over the Southwest; and the opening of high grade glass sand deposits near Bromide.
Many years ago during his activities as a cowboy along Blue River, Judge Jackson married Annie Donovan, who is of one-half Chickasaw blood. She is a niece of Peter Maytubby, one of the foremost men of the Chickasaw Nation thirty or forty years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson have four sons and three daughters: Mrs. H. H. Burris, wife of a prominent Indian citizen of Tishomingo; C. W. Jackson, a civil engineer now employed by the M. O. & G. Company at their rock crusher at Bromide; Thomas P. Jackson, who looks after his land interests at Bromide; William Byrd Jackson, engaged in the oil business at Thrall, Texas; Othello Jackson, a cattle dealer at Bromide; Mrs. J. C. Gunter, wife of a ranchman at Bromide; Mrs. Gerald Galbreath, wife of the manager of the Galbreath Hotel at Bromide; and Miss Zenobia Jackson, an invalid living at home with her parents.
As already stated, Judge Jackson now spends much of his time in looking after his real estate interests, and is president of the Jackson Land Company of Bromide. He is devoted to his home and his children, and everywhere in that section of the Chickasaw country is known as the Grand Obi Man of Bromide. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and has fraternal affiliations with the Masonic order, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of the World. He was a delegate to the last territorial meeting of the Indian Territory A. F. & A. M., during which the domain was dissolved and united with that of Oklahoma Territory.
[Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
Samuel C. Davis, M. D.
With a record of twenty years of successful work as a physician and surgeon, Doctor Davis of Blanchard is a descendant from some of the original Cherokee stock in Indian Territory, and is one of the men of Indian blood who have qualified themselves for superior stations in the life of the new State of Oklahoma.
Members of the Davis family were very early settlers in the State of Mississippi and were also people of note in Memphis, Tennessee. Doctor Davis' grandfather was also a physician and surgeon, and a pioneer settler in Indian Territory, and engaged in the practice of medicine for many years at old Fort Gibson. He married a Cherokee Indian woman, and through her Dr. S. C. Davis of Blanchard is a quarter blood Cherokee. One of the sons of the pioneer Fort Gibson physician is W. H. Davis, who now lives in Ardmore, Oklahoma, and for many years was one of the leaders among the Cherokee people and did an important work as an educator.
Dr. Samuel C. Davis was born at Doaksville, in the Choctaw Nation of Indian Territory, October 31, 1869. His father, John L. Davis, was born near Fort Gibson, Indian Territory, in 1829, a date which indicates how very early the family was established in this new Indian country of the West to which very few of the eastern Indians had been removed at that time. John L. Davis served with the rank of captain in the Confederate army during the Civil war, and after the war rejoined his family who in the meantime had removed to the Choctaw Nation. There he followed farming and stock raising, was active as a cattle man and he died at old Doaksville in 1877. John L. Davis married Harriet Fulsom, a member of the prominent family of that name of Indian Territory. She was born at old Doaksville in the Choctaw Nation in 1850 and now resides at Hart, Oklahoma. Their children are: Dr. Samuel C.; Julia B., now deceased, who married George R. Collins of Ada, Oklahoma; Catherine, who lives at Stratford, Oklahoma, the widow of Joseph Pirtle, a farmer; and John L., Jr., who is a farmer at Stratford, Oklahoma.
Dr. Samuel C. Davis was reared and received his early education in the old Chickasaw Nation in the vicinity of Tishomingo and Wapanucka. He attended the Indian schools there for a time, but in 1877 his mother removed to Caddo, Indian Territory, where he attended district school, and was also a student in the old Robinson Institute near Tishomingo, and in 1889 graduated A. B. from the Wapanucka Academy. His education was continued in the East through two sessions of the preparatory school at Mount Gilead, North Carolina, following which he entered the Baltimore Medical University, where he was a student one year. In 1896 he graduated M. D. from the Louisville Medical College of Kentucky.
Thus at the age of twenty-seven he was equipped with a liberal education and by character and native endowment for his real work in the world. For eleven years Doctor Davis practiced medicine at Hart, Oklahoma, then spent a year at Lexington, and since January 17, 1909, has attended to a large practice as a general physician and surgeon at Blanchard where his offices are in the Stafford Building on Main Street. He is active in the various medical organizations and enjoys an enviable professional reputation.
His visible prosperity is also represented by the ownership of about 700 acres of farming land at Hart, Rosedale and Blanchard, besides a number of town lots in Blanchard. Doctor Davis is a democrat, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and affiliates with Blanchard Lodge Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Roff Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, and Hart Camp No. 61 of the Woodmen of the World.
On August 13, 1896, at Roff, Oklahoma, soon after he came back from the East a young physician, he married Miss Linnie Mautooth. Her father was John Mautooth, a farmer and merchant. To their marriage have been born five children: Matilda Frances, born October 10, 1899, and now a sophomore in the Blanchard High School; Arvilla, born February 18, 1901, in the eighth grade of the public schools; Samuel C., Jr., born June 12, 1904, in the fourth grade; Joseph, born June 10, 1907, in the third grade; and Olga, born December 30, 1912.
[Source: A Standard History of Oklahoma Volume 4 By Joseph Bradfield Thoburn - Submitted by a Friend of Free Genealogy]
Copyright © Genealogy Trails