Pioneer History of Coos and Curry Counties, Or.
Heroic Deeds and Thrilling Adventures of the Early Settlers
Published under the Auspices of the Pioneer and Historical Association of Coos Co.
Orvil Dodge, Historian
Capitol Printing Co.
Each group may not be in alphabetical order
P/Q R S T U/V W X/Y/Z
|MC BRIDE, John J., (deceased), was born in Weekly Co., Tenn., Nov. 27, 1832, and came to Curry Co., Or., Apr [section missing] engaged in the manufacture of soda. His wife's maiden name was Lutisha A. Wilbourn, born in Illinois, Jan. 25, 1837, married Aug. 14, 1858, and they have seven children. He was a war veteran, and now follows mining and farming.|
|MC CUE, Jas. [James], born in Ireland in 1820 and came to Oregon in 1855, and in 1859 he came to Coos Co., and settled one-half mile below where Parkersburg now stands. He resided there until his death in January, 1888. He was bring [sic; as written] this country to its present state. His wife's maiden name was Clementine Thrush, born in Iowa Jan. 1, 1836, and the children's names are John, Antony, Elizabeth, M. Armina, Agnes W., James E., Charles H., Cornelia C.|
|MC CUE, John was born in Coos Co., Or., Feb. 19, 1868, and has lived on the Coquille River ever since. His wife's maiden name was Rebecca Annie Handy, born Sonoma Co, Cal., July 10, 1872. Their children are Elmer A., born June 11, 1891; Florence B., Sept. 13, 1892; Aton R., July 8, 1894; Harold A., April 10, 1896. He is a fisherman and logger.|
|MC CUE, Antony [Anthony] was born in Coos county Sept. 19, 1869, and now resides at Parkersburg. His wife's maiden name was Lillie M. Hamby, born in California, Aug. 25, 1878. Their children are Edith W., born Oct. 27, 1896; Harry A., Aug. 12, 1887|
|MC ELHANEY, John H., was born in Gurney Co., Ohio, Dec. 28, 1837, and arrived in Curry Co., Or., Oct. 8, 1887, and settled on Rogue river. He owns a farm and follows fishing and ranching.|
MC GRAW, Sarah Ellen Tichenor, was born in Edgar county, Illinois, Sept. 10, 1848, and arrived in Curry county, Oregon in May, 1852. They first settled at Port Orford, but now live at San Francisco and Oakland, California. Her maiden name was Sarah Ellen Tichenor, married at Port Orford, Oregon, the 4th of June, 1869, to Edward W. McGraw, of San Francisco. She has thirteen children, three sons and ten daughters, three of whom are deceased.
Wm. Tichenor [her father] was born in Newark. N. J., June 13, 1813, and died July 27, 1887, married Jan. 1, 1833 to Elizabeth Brinkerhoff, who was born near Newark, N. J., Oct. 9, 1809, died Dec. 14, 1880. She had eight children, five of whom died in infancy.
Anna C. Tichenor [her sister], born Nov. 1, 1837, in Indiana, and married at Port Orford, Sept. 2, 1855, to George Dart, son of Auson Dart, who, during the early fifties was superintendent of Indian affairs of Oregon. Soon after marriage her husband and herself left for their home in Wisconsin, accompanied by J.D. Tichenor, who was placed in school at Nebraska. She had four children, two sons and two daughters, one deceased.
J. B. Tichenor [her brother], born near Newark, N. J., March 2, 1843, died in Salem, Oregon, March 20, 1889. He married Mary E. G. England, of St. Helena, California. They had eleven children, ten sons and one daughter, seven of whom survive.
|MC VAY, John, was born in Ireland June 23, 1833, and came to Curry Co., Or., in 1870, and settled near Gold Beach. His wife's maiden name was Mary A. McCreery, born in Ireland in 1849, and they have four children. Mr. McVey [sic] is a stone and brick mason, but has a ranch also.|
|MC VAY, Joseph H., was born in Kentucky in 1831, and came to Coos county in 1853. His wife's maiden name was Elizabeth Bosley, and they have three children. He was in the Indian war and has seen a great deal of frontier life.|
|MC VAL [sic; VAY], William R., was born in Madison Co., Indiana, June 19, 1833, and came to Curry county in Septem- [sic] where he lived until 1862, and then moved to Josephine county, and remained until 1864, when he came back to Curry county, and settled in Chetco valley, where he has resided ever since. He had a fine dairy ranch. His wife's maiden name was Emelina McCormack, born in Alabama March 26, 1837, and their children's names are Mary B., born Dec. 7, 1858; Emma D.; born July 16, 1861; Henry B., Nov. 5, 1862; William L., Nov. 25, 1871; Benjamin, June 26, 1866; Laura A., born Nov. 3, 1868; Minnie G., April 1, 1873; Frederick A., April 7, 1875. Mr. McVay died Nov. 25, 1888, and the children all reside on the old ranch with their mother.|
|MC VEY, James, was born in Tyrone Co., Ireland, Sept. 10, 1835. and came to Curry County Sept. 1, 1859, and settled at Gold Beach. His wife's maiden name was Martha McCreery, born in Ireland, Dec. 27, 1847, married Sept. 29, 1870. He follows mining and stock raising.|
|MALEHORN, Samuel T., was born in Baltimore, Md., Feb. 25, 1835, and came to Oregon in July, 1877. In 1884 he arrived in Curry Co., at Langlois, having come by way of Myrtle Point, overland from the interior of the state. He settled on Floras Creek and established the Olive fruit farm and nursery in 1885. He is an old soldier. His wife's maiden name was Sally Blackmore, born in Illinois December 19, 1844, and their children's names are Claudia, Jennie, Nellie, Clinton and Samuel.|
|MESERVEY, Elisha, was born in Curry Co., Or., Nov. 23, 1865, and is now settled on Rogue river and is a farmer. His wife's maiden name was Address Thornton, born in California July 12, 1875, and their children's names are Jennie R., born Dec. 7. 1893, and Irene B., born May 30, 1897|
|MICHELBRINK, John, was born in Germany, Jan.
15, 1842, and came to Germany in 1874, and settled at
Marshfield, but now resides on the North Fork of the
Coos river, where he is engaged in farming and logging.
His wife's maiden name was Phoebe Birtholl, born
in Illinois March 28, 1850, and their children's names
are Peter, Mary, Henry and John.
A brief mention concerning John Michelbrink from pages 439-440 reads:
On December 7, 1892, a horrible tragedy too place at a "dive", kept by Hermann Peterson, on North Coos river and John Michelbrink, a well-to-do farmer, who was killed. Hermann Peterson quarreled with his brother Erick and ordered him out of the house. The resorted to the use of firearms and six shots were fired, one of them striking John Michelbrink, who was present, in the back and coming out at his breast. He soon expired. The deceased was an industrious citizen, and had a large family. The community was shocked at the tragedy. The Petersons were arrested and indited. After hearing the evidence the coroner's jury brought in a verdict in substance, "That John Michelbrink came to his death from a bullet shot from a rifle in the hands of Erick Peterson."
See also Fuller, Franklin F.
|MICHELBRINK, John, was born on North Coos river, Aug. 22, 1875, and still lives on the old place. He is a logger and farmer.|
|MILLER, George P., was born in Clinton Co., Mo., Oct. 20, 1861, and came to Coos Co., Or. in March, 1873, and settled on Big creek, but now resides on the East Fork of the Coquille river. His wife's maiden name was Martha J. Johnson, born near Roley in Mo., Jan 15, 1866, and their children are Chas. W. [Charles W.], March 30, 1885; I. May [Ida Mae], Oct. 10, 1888; Mintie R., Dec. 22, 1889; D. Ruth [Della Ruth], Jan. 8, 1893. He is a farmer and a logger.|
|MOORE, Davis L. was born in Knox Co, Ill, Feb. 17, 1844 and came to Oregon in 1850. In June, 1859 he arrived in Curry Co. and settled on Rogue River, but in 1877 he moved to his present ranch, near Ophir. He is a farmer. His wife's maiden name was Mary L. Cook, born in Mo., May 16, 1864, and their children are John N., Thomas F., William W., Asher H., James W., David M., and Willis L.|
N and O
|NOAH, Fred, was born in Coos Co., Feb. 11, 1875, and settled on the South fork of the Coos river, on his present ranch in August, 1896, and is a logger and farmer. His wife's maiden name was Amanda E. Bunch, born in Josephine Co., Or., Jan. 16, 1868, and their children's names are John W., Maude E., Emma J. and Pearlie E.|
|NOAH, John E., was born in Douglas Co., Or., March 5, 1862, and came to Coos Co., in May, 1872. In 1876 he settled on Catching Slough and is a farmer and logger. His wife's maiden name was Rosetta Condeon, born in Arkansas, April 24, 1872. and their children's names are Mabel M., Blinnh, and Neol E. [sic; Noel].|
|NOAH, Oliver P., was born in Indiana, April 20, 1853, and came to Coos Co., in April, 1886, and settled on Coos river, where he lived for ten years. Since that time he has resided at Bay City, [Coos Co.], and has been engaged in the mill. His wife's maiden name was Mary J. Garrett, born in Tennessee, Aug. 24, 1846, and their children's names are Loyola, Lydia, Arthur, Laura (deceased); Jesse, and Abner.|
|NOAH, Silas W., born in Douglas Co., [Ore.], Jan. 2, 1859, and came to Oregon [sic; Coos Co.] in the fall of 1853, [sic; 1873] and settled on the South Fork of the Coos river in 1874. He lives now on Catching Slough. His wife's maiden name was Stacy E. Watson, born in Missouri, July 7, 1866, and their children's names are Olive J. and William W.|
|NOBLE, Curtis, was born in Vermont Nov. 2, 1793, and came to Coos county in October, 1853, and settled at Empire City. There was at that time a long hog hut about 7 feet high, built by the Coos Bay Coal Co. It was without a floor or chimney. Mr. Noble purchased from the Lockharts their one half interest in the land on which the hut stood and they opened a boarding house. Their first three sacks of spuds cost $30, and they were brought from the Umpqua. The floor would get very muddy, and as they had no chairs, benches and stools were substituted. The meals consisted of black coffee, bread, and bacon and occasionally beans and dried apples. The boarders were charged $1 for each meal. In 1854 they purchased common bridge lumber from a schooner at $80 per M. and put in a floor. Mrs. Noble was fortunate enough to own a real cow bell with which she called her boarders together. In 1858 Mr. Noble died, and later Mrs. Noble married Capt. J. J. Jackson and for a time they lived at Gold Beach; but in 1867 they moved back to the bay and kept the Union Hotel for two years, and then moved into the old Pioneer Hotel, where they remained until it burned in 1885. Mrs. Jackson opened another hotel in Empire that same year and still has charge of it. Mr. Noble's wife's maiden name was Margaret A. Harrison, born in Kentucky, March 17, 1825, and their children's names are Elizabeth M., William H., John M., Lyman M., Louisa J., Emily, Mellisa A., Louisa and Melissa are both dead.|
|NORRIS, George W., was born in Clackamas Co., Or., Dec. 5, 1847, and came to Coos Co., Or.,, in 1868, and settled on Burton's Prairie, where he has lived ever since and carries on farming and stock raising. His wife's maiden name was Mary I. Catching, born Douglas Co., Or., Nov. 9, 1856, and their children's names are Mary L., born Sept. 27, 1885; Walter B., born Feb. 20, 1887; G. Ray, born Feb. 6, 1889; Myrtle A., born Oct. 16, 1892; Olive L., born June 14, 1895.|
|NORRIS, T.C. [Thomas Cecil], was born in Douglas county, Oregon, Aril 28, 1860, and came to Coos county in August, 1968, and settled near Burton's Prairie, but in 1891 he moved to the South Fork of the Coquille river, where he still resides. His wife's maiden name was Christina B. Harris, a daughter of Captain Harris, of Myrtle Point. Their children's names are Edna and Willie R.|
|NORTON, F.P., was born in Kingfield, Maine, Franklin Co., Feb. 13, 1853, and came to Coos Co., Or., Mar. 30, 1884, and settled at Marshfield. His wife's maiden name was Alice M. Snyder, born in 1866, Oct. 18, in Washington Territory, married Jan. 1, 1888. He is engaged in the general merchandise business in Marshfield..|
|NORTON, William [William Breding], was born in Sweden in June, 1845, and arrived in Coos Co., May 15, 1888, and settled on the Coquille river. His wife's maiden name was Annie M. Carlson, born in Sweden, Sept. 28, 1859. Their children are Carl O., born Dec. 2, 1888; Wenny L. [Winfield], July 28, 1890; Walter B., Oct. 9, 1891; Mabel M., May 10, 1893; Laura C., Oct. 18, 1895. He is a farmer.|
|NOSLER, Amos L., was born in Polk County, Iowa, April 16, 1852, and came to Coos Co., Or., Oct. 13, 1870, and settled at Iowa Slough, then moved to Coquille City. His wife's maiden name was Annie R. Hatcher, born in Livingston Co., Mo., July 10, 1851 [sic; 1850], and their children are Claude H., born June 21, 1875; Fred N., June 8, 1877; John H., March 2, 1879; Maude M., June 5, 1881. Mr. Nosler has been engaged in the hotel, butcher, general merchandise and hardware business at different times in Coquille City and was also constable eight of ten years.|
|NOSLER, R.W., (deceased) was born in Tenn., Feb. 13, 1822, and came to Oregon in the fall of 1863, and settled near Riverton on a farm. His wife's maiden name was Martha J. Gentry, born in Maren Co., Indiana, Sept. 17, 1834. Their children are Zuinitz A., born Nov. 15, 1854; Laura E., Dec. 20, 1856; Florence E., May 9, 1859; Abe L., Oct. 11, 1860; Frank S., May 9, 1862; Julia V., Sept. 17, 1863; Ada M., June 16, 1869; Chas., April 1873.|
P and Q
|PALMER, John L., was born on the South Fork of the Coos river, Aug. 3, 1872. He is now a logger on the North Fork of the Coos River. His wife's maiden name was Mary M. Noah, who was born on Sixes river, [Curry Co., Or], March 7, 1881.|
|PANTER, William, was born in Rothwell, England, April 9, 1835, and came to Coos county in the spring of 1860, and settled on the North Fork of the Coquille River, but now resides four miles from Parkersburg on Alder creek. His wife's maiden name was Fannie Weitten, born in Tepirea Co., Ireland, May 12, 1815. The have one child, W. Russel, born June 11, 1859.|
|PANTER, W.R., was born in Nebraska, June 11, 1835, and came to Oregon in 1859. He settled in Coos County in July, 1860, on the North Fork of the Coquille River, but now resides four miles from Parkersburg. His wife's maiden name was Ella E. Hutchenson, born in Douglas Co., Oregon, October 27, 1862. Their children are T. Walter, born June 16, 1881; William A., born Nov. 12, 1885; Mary E., Sept. 1887; Allen R., Jan. 20, 1889; Ruby A., June 3, 1891; Stacy O., Sept. 26, 1894; Dora I., Oct. 12, 1896. He is a farmer and is at present owner of the steamer Dispatch.|
|PANTER, James, a brother to Wm. Panter, came to Coos Bay with his brother and was drowned while sounding the Coquille bar, August 14, 1867. John Leneses Panter and a Swede were drowned at the same time. Panter's body came ashore at Whiskey Run, but the other bodies were never found. Captain Gilman was in charge of the vessel at the time of the accident. Mr. William Panter brought 11 head of horses and lost all of them the first winter he was in Coos County. When he crossed the Cascades there was eighteen feet of snow. Two years after he arrived in Coos Co. a tree fell on him and hurt him and he was compelled to use crutches for 6 years. They had to tan their own leather and make their own shoes and boots. Empire City was their nearest trading post. In 1861 and 1862 they lost all their household goods by the flood.|
|PEDIGO, John J., was born in Lee
Co., Iowa, May 19, 1839, and came to Curry Co., Or.,
April 30, 1897, and settled at the mouth of Chetco
river. His wife's maiden name was Polly A. Dennis, born
August 16, 1837, married July 22, 1879. He has several
|PEINI, Modesto, was born in Switzerland, Jan 10, 1857 and came to Curry County in the fall of 1883, and settled on the Chetco river. His wife's maiden name was Sarah Shannon, born in Humboldt Co, California, March 30, 1857, married Nov. 12, 1884, and they have six children. He follows dairying and stock raising.|
|PEMBROKE, George W., was born in Columbia Co., Ohio, May 6, 1836, and arrived in Coos Co., Or., May 31, 1875. He first settled at Myrtle Point. Mr. Pembroke, the subject of this sketch enlisted April 25, 1861, in the state three mouth's service of the state of Indiana, and was discharged July 25, 1861. He enlisted again and mustered into United States Oct. 18, 1861, for the term of three years and was discharged Oct. 24, 1864. Mr. Pembroke served in Gen. Buel's command, through the Shiloh battle and through the siege of Corinth, also the battle of Chickamaugua, siege of Chattanooga, Sherman's command, and through several others, and was discharged Oct. 24, 1864.|
|PERKINS, N.G.W., was born in Yolobusha Co. Mississippi, Aug 30, 1860. He came to Coos Co. Or. April 16, 1887, and settled at Myrtle Point. His wife's maiden name was Emelia J. Flenge. They have three children, Opal M. born July 24, 1891; Lois A. born Feb 27, 1893; Nicholas W. born May 12, 1897. Mr Perkins is a druggist.|
|PERKINS, Davis L., was born in Harden Co. Tenn, Oct 3, 1869 and came to Coos Co. Or. June 5, 1875 and settled at Parkersburg. He followed farming for a a few years and is now interested in steamboating on the Coquille River.|
|PERRY, Vale Herman [sic], was born in Muscatine, Iowa, and came to Coos Co., Or., November 15, 1858, and settled at Norway. His wife's maiden name was Priscilla Dame, born in Champlain, N.Y., Oct 15, 1815 [sic] and they have four daughters, Myrtle May, born May 23, 1871; Maude A., Oct 7, 1872; Bertha A., Nov 21, 1875; Grace A., Feb 22, 1877.|
|PERRY, William T. was born in Freedonia, Conn., Nov. 19, 1809. At the age of six years he went to New York. When he was 27 years old he went to Michigan, where he helped to build a portion of the Michigan Central R.R. From there he went to Illinois, new the site of Chicago and worked at the carpenter's trade. He then went to South Bend, Indiana, and taught school. In July, 1839, he married Ann Abell, whose birth place was South Bend, Indiana. From there he moved to Iowa, and in 1842 started for Oregon with a company of seventy-five persons, crossing the plains with horses and wagons. At Green River the company was compelled to leave their wagons and part of their goods and proceed the rest of the way on horseback. He arrived in Oregon City Sept. 26, 1943, and here built for Dr. McLoughlin, the first flouring mill in Oregon. In the fall of 1843 he moved to Clatsop Plains, six miles from Astoria, where he resided until 1851, when he moved to Deer Creek, Douglas County. He located a donation claim of 640 acres on Deer Creek, and built the Roseburg flouring mills on his land, completing the same in 1853. In November 1858, he drove his stock to Coos Co., arriving at the place now known as Norway, on the 15th of the month. He purchased that place from H.G. Saunders, and moved his family thereto in February, 1859. His family at that time consisted of the following persons: Ann Perry, his wife, and the children were Vale N., Emily and Dora C. His eldest daughter Mary was married in Roseburg to Thos. Grant and upon his death she rejoined the family in Coos Co. Louisa K. was born in this country. Wm. T. Perry died at Norway, Coos Co., Nov. 4, 1882. Ann Perry died at the same place on June 16, 1879.|
|PIERCE, Chas. [Charles] H., was born in Boston, Mass., Dec. 17, 1826, and came to Oregon in the fall of 1871. He arrived in Curry Co., in May, 1875, and lived at Cape Blanco until 1884, when he moved to the Sixes river. His wife's maiden name was Sarah A. Lowe, born in N.Y. City Nov. 20, 1829, and their children's names and dates of birth are as follows: Charles H., Sept. 11, 1851; Frank, Oct. 5, 1853; Storie, Jan. 2, 1856; Gertrude, March 6, 1858; Harriett, Oct. 1, 1860; Storer P., Dec. 21, 1866; Eugene G., April 9, 1868; Sarah B., Dec. 3, 1869; Kate O., March 25, 1872.|
|PIERCE, S. P., born in Ft.
Steilacoom, Pierce Co., Washington, Territory, and came
to Curry Co., in 1875, and settled at Cape Blanco. His
wife's maiden name was Jennie E. Huntley, born in Curry
county, Oregon, age 26. He has served as county clerk
|PLATTS, E. S.. was born in Cedar
Co., Iowa, May 7, 1861, and came to Oregon January,
1877. He arrived in Curry Co. November 15, 1895, and
settled on the Sixes river. He is a farmer and miner.
His wife's maiden name was Lora E. Mather, born in
Kansas, Oct. 1, 1865, and their children's names are
Jesse, born Dec. 3, 1887, and Benjamin H., born Oct. 10,
|PREWETT, Esau, was born in Jackson Co, Indiana, Feb. 18, 1936 and came to Oregon in 1847. In August, 1875, he settled near Parkersburg, on a homestead and still resides there. His wife's maiden name was Sarah E. Archer, born April 24, 1845, and their children's names are Cornelia, Nancy, Mary, Martha, Thomas, Amanda, May E.D., Lillie G., infant child, and Rosilla E.B.|
|PREWETT, Jacob F., was born in Johnson Co, Indiana, Feb. 15, 1834, and Sept. 6, 1847, he came to Oregon, and in 1869 he settled in Brewster Valley. This family are truly pioneers, having came to Oregon in 1847, with an ox team in company with Captain Palmer, Jerry Huntley, Joe Prewet [sic; Prewett], and many other pioneers, hailing from the same place, and forming a train of ninety wagons. They arrived where Marion County has since been organized about eighteen miles southeast of Salem. Jacob and his father went to California in search of gold in 1849, but returned the same year and moved to what is now Linn Co., in 1850, locating two miles and a half north of Scio. In 1868 he moved to Looking Glass [sic; Lookingglass], and a year after arrived in Brewster Valley, Coos Co., Or., coming in on the old Brewster trail with great difficulty. After a year he moved to Coquille City and twelve months later he settled on his present excellent home on Bear Creek. Mr. Prewet is one of Coos county's pioneers and best citizens and holds the respect of the community where he lives. His wife's maiden name was Mary J. Follis, born March 24, 1840, and their children's names are David H., born Nov. 29, 1858; Mary C., born Feb. 2, 1861; Wm. A., born Aug. 29, 1863; Sarah J., born Aug. 29, 1863; Lucy A., born Nov. 29, 1865; Jacob F., born Feb. 6, 1868; Samuel T., born Sept. 26, 1876.|
|QUELLEN, DIETRICH, was born Dec.
10, 1860, in Bremen, Germany. He came to Curry county,
Oregon, May 5, 1891. He married Mary A. Newmann, who was
born in Brandenburg, Germany, Feb. 9, 1858. He settled
on Euchre creek, nine miles northeast of Ophir and owns
160 acres of land, well cultivated and fenced, and with
numerous comfortable buildings. He still resides on the
same and his postoffice address is Ophir, Curry Co.,
|RAINE, Elander was born in France, Aug 31, 1818 and came to Coos County in 1866 and settled in Marshfield, and since then has made his home in Coos River. He is a Ship Builder by trade and an old sea captain and has lived twenty three years on his homested. His wife's maiden name was Josephine Vanarden, born in Paris, Jan. 19, 1854.|
|RAY, William K., was born in Illinois Sept. 11, 1869, and came to Curry Co., May, 1872, and in 1875 settled on a claim on Winchuck river. He is a farmer. His wife's maiden name was Lizzie M. Cooley, born Jan. 11, 1874, and married Dec. 3, 1894. They have one child, William A., born Aug. 27, 1895.|
|REESE, John H., was born in Rutland Co., Vt., Jan. 11, 1824, and came to Coos Co., in April, 1890, and settled in East Marshfield, where he still resides on a farm. His wife's maiden name was Eunice Trumbull, born in New York May 30, 1830, and their children's names are John E., Edson M., Joseph W., Lanora A., Wilber W., Albert [sic] E., Estes V., and Milton H. Three of them are dead.|
|REESE, John E., was born in New York, Oct. 10, 1851, and came to Coos Co., June, 1891, and settled at East Marshfield, and has been employed in the saw mills at Bay City. His wife's maiden name was Ellen A. Hall [sic], born in New York, Nov. 18, 1863, and their children's names are Ethel E., Ramond [sic] J., and Ester E.|
|REICHERT, PHILLIP, was born July
27. 1843, at Hessedarmstadt, Germany, and came to Coos
Co., Or., Oct. 20, 1873, and settled at Marshfield. His
wife's maiden name was Barbara Keel, and their children
are Nichlos, 28; Margaretta, 25; Phillip, 24; Wm
[William], 21; Ella, 15.
|ROBERTS, Daniel, was born in 1818, in Muskingum Co., Ohio, and in 1874 crossed the plains to Oregon, and arrived in May, or that year, and settled in the Coquille Valley near the forks of the Coquille river. Their eldest son, John H., came the year previous and upon his recommendation his parents followed. The arrival of this thrifty and energetic people was welcomed by the old settlers. They began to build up homes. The family consisted of the mother, whose maiden name was Keisiah Beatty, born Jan. 1, 1821, in Muskingum Co. Ohio, and their children's names are John H., who served in the Oregon legislature and was re-elected. He was also a merchant of Myrtle Point, and at present is a furniture dealer in Bandon; Wm. Roberts is a farmer near Myrtle Point; Daniel, George and Manley are engaged in maritime pursuits on Coos Bay; there are two wards, and Lizzie, wife of W.H. Bunch. Three children are dead. Daniel Roberts died Sept.8, 1890, and his home in Myrtle Point. His widow, Grandma Roberts, as she is known throughout the county, resides by herself and earns a living by keeping lodgers.|
|ROBERTS, Manley, was born in Glasgow, Shanition Co., Mo. In 1856, and came to Coos Co., Or., in May, 1874, and settled on the Coos River. His wife's maiden name was Mary Teresa Blacklock, born in New Zeland, Oct. 17, 1865, married Dec. 25, 1884, and they have one child, Florence R. E., born Dec. 8, 1885. He has been an engineer and acted as pilot on steamers for fifteen years.|
|ROBINSON [sic; Robison], PRICE S..
was born in Cole Co., Mo., April 10, 1858. He came to
Coos county in October, 1873, and settled on Fishtrap,
where he lived until Oct .12. 1879, when he moved to
Norway, and resides there at the present time. He is a
farmer by occupation. He married Laura B. Hoover, who
was born in Hennepin Co., Minn., Oct. 27, 1864. Their
children's names are Caleb C, born July 17, 1884; Benlab
O., born Dec. 28, 1885; Walter S. born Feb. 28, 1888;
Delia L. born May 3, 1889, Franklin R., born March 25,
1891; C. Lucina, born May 20, 1894. They were all born
in Coos county.
|ROBINSON [sic; Robison], ROCKY C,
was born in Coal Co., Mo.. April 12, 1852. He came to
Oregon in May, 1870 and arrived in Coos county Sept. 11,
1871. He first settled on Fishtrap, and has lived in
that vicinity ever since. In 1881 he took up a place on
Hall creek, five miles from Hall's Prairie. His
occupation has always been farming and woodsman. He
married Catheen T. Johnson, who was born in Austalea,
June 7, 1861. Their children's names are Edward P., born
in 1879. M. Rubbie, born in 1885, B. Rock, bom in 1896.
|ROBINSON [sic; Robison], SAMUEL
L., was born in Lancaster Co., Pa., Feb. 11, 1805. He
came to Oregon in October, 1869, and settled in Coos
county, Sept. 11, 1871. He took up a farm on Fishtrap in
1872, and lived there until his death, August 25, 1892.
He married Louisa Lamson, who was born in Columbus,
Ohio, April 25, 1820. Their children's names are Arvela
A., born Aug. 10, 1842: George T., born Jan. 2, 1846;
Frank B., born June 28, 1849, Rock C., April 12, 1852:
Tennessee K., April 4, 1855; Price S., April 10, 1858;
Martha J., Dec. 30, 1860.
|ROPER, Edward was born in Cumberland, England, June 13, 1828, and came to Coos Co., in July, 1874, and spent twelve months in that county. He then located his present ranch on Elk river, in Curry Co., and he is a farmer. He is an old soldier and resided in Curry Co., for twenty-three years; hence his is also a pioneer.|
|ROWAN, Samuel M., was born Sept. 11, 1847, in Blunt [sic; Blount] Co., Tenn. He came to Coos county in March, 1884, settled on Fishtrap and has lived there ever since. By occupation he is a farmer and hunter. He married Mary Jane Stillwell, who was born in Berkley Co., Va., Aug. 1, 1848. Their children's names are Mary C., born Aug. 18, 1868; Columbus C., born May 9, 1871; Isabell, born Aug. 31, 1873; Ida, born Jan. 27, 1876; Amandy [sic; Amanda] A., born March 31, 1878; Samuel T., Jan. 18, 1880; Dallie, born Feb. 4, 1882; Irene A., born June 16, 1886. Ida, Columbus and Dallie are dead.|
|SCHROEDER, August H., was born in Baltimore, MD, Mar. 8, 1843, and settled on the South Fork of the Coquille River, and since 1863 has lived below the forks near Norway on a pleasant farm. In 1894 he had the misfortune to lose his house by fire, but has since built a fine new residence. He has held the office of justice of the peace in the Norway precinct for ten years. His wife's maiden name was Dora C. Perry, born in Clatsop Co., Or., Aug. 15, 1850, and their children's names are Edwin F., Alfred, Eugene, Charles, Louisa, Fedie [sic], Arthur W., Ada E., Percy G., Henry A., May and Chester W.|
|SCHROEDER, Chas. E., was born in Baltimore, MD., Oct 14, 1852, and arrived in Coos Co., Or., May 22, 1859. He first settled on the South Coquille, but moved to Myrtle Point March 25, 1890. His wife's maiden name was Lucinda J. Story, born in Davis Co., Mo., Oct. 21, 1861, married Dec. 24, 1876. They have one child, Edward T., born Feb. 29, 1880.|
|SCHROEDER, George T., was born at Hall's Prairie, Dec. 14, 1872, and is a native of Coos Co. He has lived at Hall's Prairie all his life until Sept. 1896, when he moved to Ashland, Jackson Co., and lived there one year, from thence back to Coos Co., Or. His wife's maiden name was Eunice L. Laird, born March 25, 1871, In Colusa Co., Cal. They have one child, Georgie Jaunita, born Feb. 14, 1894.|
|SHULL, Benjamin C., was born in North Carolina, Oct. 23, 1845, and came to Coos county, Oregon, in 1872, and settled at Lee. He married Olive F. Berry, and there were seven children born to them, Robbie F., born Dec. 1, 1887; Leroy, born March 6, 1889; Mary Elizabeth, born Jan. 9, 1890; Rodney Ray, born Oct. 5, 1891, died March 13, 1892; Ada M , born March 2, 1893; Jennie A., born Feb. 9, 1895; Benjamin Loyd, born June 5, 1897.|
|SKEELS, C.M., born in Ohio in 1848 and came to Oregon in 1887 and came to Coos County in 1889. For a time he lived at Bandon, but now is a merchant in Coquille City. His wife's maiden name was N.J. Handy, and their children's names are Charlie, age 22; Mary, age 20; Oreta, age 17; Grace, age 15; Dollie, age 10; and Paul, age 8.|
|SMITH, Chas. [Charles] L., was born in Coos Co., April 29, 1868, and settled on Coos River, where he is engaged in dairying and farming. His wife's maiden name was Callie Tiennison, born in Arkansas, July 17, 1873, and their children's names are Dortha A., and Harry L.|
|SMITH, Jesse A., was born in Coos Co., April 28, 1872, and is a farmer and dairyman on Coos river. His wife's maiden name was Matilda L. Danielson, born in Coos Co., Or Oct. 25, 1872, and they have one child, Stella M.|
|SMITH, Levi, was born in Marion Co., Or., Nov. 18, 1853, and came to Coos Co. in the fall of 1865, and set [sic] and farming. His wife's maiden name was Dorthy J. Flook, born in Iowa, June 13, 1853, and their children's names are Earnest W., Frank W., Odessa E. and Edwin E. Odessa is dead.|
|SMITH, Nathan, was born in East Tenn., June 29, 1827, and came to Oregon in September 1852, and settled on the Coos River in October 1865, where he lived until his death Feb. 9, 1889. His widow still lives there. They have a family of sixteen children, twelve of whom are living.|
|SMITH, William, was born in Canada in 1854.
Came to Or. and settled on the East Fork of the North
Fork, and has lived there since. His wife's maiden name
was Agnes Weekly, born in Minn., Feb. 14, 1861,
and they have one child, born June 21, 1897.
[Note: Agnes was a widow - her first husband was Jefferson Davis Weekly. Her maiden name was McCloskey.]
|SNYDER, Alexander H. was born in Cambrie Co.,
Penn., May 16, 1830, and came to Or. Oct. 3, [sic; 1873]
and settled at Myrtle Point. When he arrived there were
only two houses in the place, the old Lehnherr home and
the Yoakam cabin. He took up land in Pleasant Valley,
opposite the town and has lived there ever since. He is
an old soldier, having passed through the war of the
rebellion, and is a general favorite with old and young.
His wife's maiden name was Sophian S. Helsel,
who was born Feb. 6, 1825, in Summerset Co., Penn. and
their children's names are Amanda, born July 5, 1852;
Elizabeth, born Aug. 17, 1854; Nancy, born Nov. 10.,
1855; John H., born June 14, 1857; Levi, born May 29,
1859; Edward A., born May 20, 1862; Annie C., born Nov.
28, 1864; Samuel S., born Feb. 19, 1867; and Alexander
M., born May 22, 1869.
Snyder, Alexander H. was born in Cambria Co., Penn., May 16, 1830, and came to Or. in 1873. He first settled on a farm west of Myrtle Point. His wife's maiden name was Sophia Helsel, who was born Feb. 6, 1824 [sic], in Penn. Their children's names are Amanda (deceased), born July 5, 1852; Nancy, born Nov. 10, died Aug. 11, 1886; J. H., June 14, 1857; Levi R., May 29, 1859; Edward A., May 20, 1862; Annie C. S., Nov. 28, 1864; Soshwell [sic] S. S., Feb. 19, 1867; Alexander M. S., born May 22, 1869. Mr. Snyder, the subject of this sketch, enlisted in the Co. D., 19628 O. V. I., and served five months and four days.
[Biographical material contained both biographies]
|SPURGEON, E.S., was born in Ohio, Sept. 23, 1819, and came to Oregon in 1862. He came to Coos Co. in June 1872, and settled on Fishtrap, and in 1889 moved to Coquille City. J.S. Kenemetz and himself introduced the first silk worms into Coos Co. They planted mulberry trees and made a success of both. As soon as the trees are large enough to furnish sufficient feed for the worms he intends to enter in the silk culture on a large scale. His wife's maiden name was Theresa Lammey, born in Hacon Co., Ohio, Jan. 29, 1825.|
|STEWARD, Henry B., was born in Gardner City, Kennebec Co, Maine, Jan. 21, 1860. He arrived in Oregon (Coos County), Dec. 10, 1890, and settled in Myrtle Point, where he has resided ever since. Mr. Steward says the newcomer who arrives in Coos Co. from some older settled and more improved section of the country, having no knowledge of its equable climate, the wonderful fertility of its soil, the great variety of its products, the small amount of labor required to make a living as compared with other sections and above all its unequaled natural resources, such as one might on first impulse be tempted to retrace his steps, but if he will linger and investigate he will find that his lot has indeed fallen in pleasant places, and the more he investigates the more he will be convinced that the future of Coos Co. is full of bright promises.|
|STEWART [Sic; STEWARD], Steven E. was born in Maine, Sept. 15, 1835, and came to Coos Co., Or., in 1864, and settled on Lampy Creek [Lampa creek]. His wife's maiden name was Mary F. Hamlen, born in Peoria Co, Ill., June 17, 1849. Their children are Frank E., born Dec. 28, 1867; Charles W., May 29, 1869; Geo. E., July 11, 1872; Chas. W., Feb. 9, 1874; Robert S., July 21, 1875; Nellie M., Oct. 27, 1877; Nettie P., May 29, 1879; William E., Jan. 1, 1881; Richard F., March 14, 1883; Walter, May 1844; Steve, April 2, 1886. Mr. Steward has been a very successful logger in the early days and was a member of the first brass band that was organized in the county at Myrtle Point, some time in 1882 or 1883.|
|STEWART, William R., was born in Andrew Co., Mo., May 8, 1843, and came to Curry Co., in the spring of 1890, and settled on Cayuse Prairie. His wife's maiden name was Adelia Williams, born in Sonoma Co., Cal., Nov. 20, 1865, married April 25, 1883. They are keeping an orphan boy, George Anderson. He owns a good farm and follows stockraising.|
|SUNDERLAND, Alexander, was born in Finland in 1862, and came to Coos Co. in 1882, and settled on Coos river, but moved to Marshfleld where he now resides. He is engaged in the saw mills and is also a logger. His wife's maiden name was Sophia Erickson, born in Finland. Sept. 5, 1854, and their children's names are Ida, Ellen, Otto, Edwin, Weynur, and John. Three of them are dead.|
|THORTON, James R., was born in Del Norte Co., Cal., May 11, 1873. He came to Curry Co., and settled at the mouth of the Illinois river. By trade he is an engineer, but has been engaged in fishing and tan bark peeling for several years, and also carrying mail.|
|TICHENOR, Jacob Brinkerhoff -- See Sarah Ellen Tichenor McGraw|
|TICHENOR, William -- See Sarah Ellen Tichenor McGraw|
|TOMPKINS, Willis E., was born in San Mateo Co. California Dec 13, 1861 and came to Curry Co. Oregon April 18, 1891 and settled on Euchre Creek. His wife's maiden name was Edna Huntley, born in Curry Co. OR Oct 27, 1876, married Oct 29, 1892 and they have two children. He is a Farmer.|
|TRIPP, Frank G., was born in Myrtle Point, Coos Co, OR Dec. 5, 1874, and still resides here.|
U and V
|VINCAMP, Frank, was born on the Coos river June 27, 1867, and has lived there all his life. His wife's maiden name was Esther Steinon, born Feb. 19, 1878, and married Oct. 16, 1896.|
|VINCAMP, William J., was born in Coos Co., Or., in 1875, and has lived on Coos river all his life. He is a farmer and owns considerable property. His wife's maiden name was Alma S. Morgan, born in Coos Co., Feb. 17, 1882, and married Dec. 18, 1897.|
|VON PEGERT, Fred, was born in Coos Co., Or. Jan 5, 1876, and resides on the Coquille river. His wife's maiden name was Annie Laird, born in Modoc Co., Cal., Sept. 6, 1875. Mr. Von Pegert is an engineer.|
|WAGNER, John L., was born in Tennessee, Dec. 3, 1848, came to Coos County, from North Carolina in 1872 and settled at what is now Rural [Powers], together with his father David, brother Daniel, and brother-in-law John Hayes. It is known as the North Carolina settlement. Mr. Wagner has 10 children all of whom were born at the old homestead. Their names and dates of birth follow: Lee, Jan 24, 1873; Fannie, Mar 20, 1874; Charlie, Feb. 22, 1876; Dollie, July 17, 1878; John, May 13, 1883; Alice, Sept. 14, 1886; Sterling, Aug 11, 1889; Nellie, April 5, 1892; Glenn, Mar. 2, 1894; Ellice, July 7, 1897|
|WAGNER, Robert L. was born in North Carolina Oct.11, 1871, and came to Oregon in 1873 and settled on the South Fork of the Coquille river and has lived there ever since. By trade, he is a butcher. His wife's maiden name was Oma McBracken born in Jackson Co., Arkansas, June 26, 1876.|
|WAGNER, W. Daniel (deceased) was born in Tennessee, January 3, 1834 and came to Coos Co., Oregon, in May 1873 and settled on the south Fork of the Coquille river. His wife's maiden name was Mary E. Miller, born in Wilkes Co., North Carolina, June 28, 1851 and their children are Emma S., born July 22, 1869; Robert D., Oct. 11, 1871; James M., Feb. 12, 1874; Arline L., June 16, 1876; Lillie C., Jan 7, 1879; Elvay E., Juy 11, 1881; Sarah F.N., Jan 5, 1884.|
|WEEKLY, E.E., was born in Douglas Co., Or., Jan. 12 1859, and came to Coos Co., Or., in Oct. 1871, and settled on the East Fork of the Coquille River. His wife's maiden name was Marry J. Watterman [sic; Waterman], born in New York in November, 1859, and their children are Ora E., William W., Opal L., Irene J., Smith A. He is a farmer.|
|WEEKLY, John Samuel, was born in Johnson Co., Mo., dec. 20, 1842, and arrived in Coos Co., Or., in Sept. 1872, and first settled at what is known as Shils, in Coos Co. His wife's maiden name was Mary Jane Godfrey. His first wife's name was Emily R. Fish, and they had one child, Oscar Elmer. Mr. Weekly was one of the builders of the Coos Bay wagon road.|
|WEEKLY, J.D. (deceased), was born in Douglas Co., Or., Aug.25 1861, and came to Oregon in Aug. 1861. He came to Coos Co. in October, 1871, and settled on the East fork on a farm and lived there until his death, May 25, 1889. His wife's maiden name was Agnes McCloskey, born in Minnesota Feb. 14, 1861, and their children are Voila E., April 23, 1882; Mabel G., Oct. 11, 1883; Annie L., Oct. 2, 1885; Verna Marie, July 1887.|
|WEEKLY, Robert L., was born in Douglas Co., Or., July 27, 1864, and came to Coos Co., Or., in Nov. 1873, and settled on the East Fork of the Coquille River. His wife's maiden name was Mary P. Bright, born July 24, 1867, married Sept. 27, 1885, and their children are Estella, born July 26, 1886; Winnie, Jan. 30, 1888; Thomas J., Jan. 1, 1890; Robert S., March 19, 1892; Effie, April 24, 1894; Guy Elza, Dec. 8, 1897. He follows farming and stock raising.|
|WEEKLY, William Elze,
was born near Louisville, Ky., May 17, 1812, and was the
youngest of three children. By trade he was a mill
wright. He came to Oregon in 1853. In 1854, through the
misrepresentation of others, he sunk $600 in the
Randolph mines. On the old Weekly place, in the Ten-mile
precinct, he built one of the first saw mills in Douglas
county. In company with Captain Harris, Marple,
Wat Bagley, Martin Davis, William Jackson
and R.M. Gurney, he helped to locate the trail
known as the Old Coos Bay trail, from the Weekly place
through the South Fork of Coos river. In 1855 he was
compelled to leave his home on account of the Indian
outbreak. On his return the next year he found his place
in ashes. He was one of the share holders and
contractors in the Coos Bay wagon road, which was opened
for travel in 1872. He moved to his farm at Gravel Ford,
and remained there until his death, which took place
Nov. 23, 1889. His wife's name maiden name was Irene
Jane Skaggs, and there were married in 1841.
Their children's names are John Samuel, Nancy Jane
(deceased), Isaac Taylor, Ursula, Stephen (deceased),
Mary, Francis, Edmund E., Jefferson D., Robert L., and
For more on this family, please visit the Weekly Family of Oregon web site.
|WHITE, James, was born in Ireland March, 1841, and came to Oregon in October, 1865, and settled in Curry Co., near the mouth of Winchuck river, and still resides on the same. He is a stock raiser and dairyman. His wife's maiden name was Margaret Cuniff, born in Curry Co., and their children's names are Ellen, born June 12, 1892; Maggie, born Dec. 8, 1893 (deceased); Annie, born Feb. 17, 1895; James, born Dec. 26, 1897.|
|WHITTEN, William W., was born in Fulton Co., Ohio, April 29, 1847, and came to Curry Co. in June, 1890, and settled on the Pistol river, fifteen miles south of Gold Beach, and resides there still. He is an old veteran of the late war. His wife's maiden name was Laurie E. Guthrie, born in Nevada, Nov. 14, 1854. His second wife's maiden name was Mrs. Sarah C. Hite, born Nov., 1847. His children's names are William W., born November, 1872, Etho B., born May, 1884.|
|WIDBY, W. H. [William Henry] was born in Tenn., Oct 27, 1854, and settled on the South Fork of the Coquille River on a farm and has lived there ever since June 17, 1873. His wife's maiden name was Amanda Crutchfield, born in Iowa, Nov. 16, 1868|
|WILLARD, Oscar R., Jr. was born at Sherman, Wyoming Territory, Aug 13, 1868, and arrived in Coos County, OR June 28, 1872, and settled a mile and a half above Coquille City and still resides there. His wife's maiden name was Dora Belle Dodge, born March 3, 1870, in Coos Co., OR. They have five children, Elmer E., born Dec. 10, 1888; Louisa B., Feb. 13, 1890; Charles O., April 6, 1892; Bulah P., Dec. 28, 1893; Vanney, Jan. 10, 1896. His occupation is a farmer. He has seen some frontier life.|
|WILLARD, Thomas Alvin was born in Will Co., Ill., Oct. 13, 1870, and came to Coos Co. in 1872, and settled near Coquille City. his wife's maiden name was Agnes McCue, born in Coos Co., Dec 9, 1876, married Dec. 25, 1896, and they have one child, Alvin Ray, born Nov. 29, 1897. His occupation is farming.|
|WILLARD, Thomas R., was born in Madison County, New York, July 29, 1825, and came to Oregon in August 1868, and settled at Coquille City, but afterwards took lands on Beaver slough and completed his title, but his mechanical genius would not be continued on a farm, hence he has been the principal contractor, builder and cabinet maker of Coquille City, since his arrival in 1868. He was the author of a very creditable work on "The Use of the Square," that imparted ideas to those who were unskilled. A residence of thirty years in a growing town has endeared Uncle Tom to every citizen of the place. He has been a prominent Mason since that order was established in town, holding various important trusts in the order. He is a brother of the late T. B. Willard, the founder of the town. His wife's maiden name was Rachel Shaw, and their children's names are Mary, Rufus, Titus, Bell, Eliza and Bates, the most of who are well-known throughout the Coquille valley. T.R. Willard died while this work was in press.|
|WIMER, George W., was born in Keokuk Co., Iowa, April 21, 1861, and came to Oregon in the fall of 1862, and arrived in Coos Co., in 1893 [other references show this as 1887]. He first settled on the headwaters of Fishtrap creek, four miles west of Arago. His wife's maiden name was Cordelia E. Strong, born in Keokuk Co, Iowa, Nov. 28, 1866, and was married Oct. 4, 1883. Their children are Nellie M., born Aug. 18, 1884; Rhoda B., Aug. 20, 1886; Gracie, Nov. 16, 1887; and died Jan. 27, 1889; Nattie V. [sic; Hattie], June 21, 1889; Mary A., April 5, 1891; Eunice M., Feb. 9, 1893; Pearl E., March 27, 1895; Roy, Dec. 12, 1896. He has a fine farm, where he now resides.|
|WIMER, J.W. [James W.] In the summer of 1873, the subject of this sketch came to Coos Co., with his parents on a pleasure trip, from Phoenix, Jackson Co., Or. They were induced to come here through the accounts of the county by J.W. Wimer's brother, who spent two years, 1871 and 1872, on the North Fork of the Coquille River. Mr. Wimer did not return to this county until 1886, when he purchased the farm belonging to Porter and Franklin and later that of Hill and Easter. He erected and operated for a time one of the first cheese plants on the Coquille river, and made excellent cheese. His father came out that same year. In 1887 his brothers, Geo. W. and Adam Wimer, and a brother-in-law, Lewis Strong, came with their families and purchased land. They all did much to help build up the county, but the death of the father, the failure of the others and the hard times caused a change in their plans and they moved to another part of the state, but are still of the opinion that in natural resources Coos Co. has few equals.|
|WOODRUFF, Judge Delos, was born in Aurora, Erie Co., N.Y., Sept. 30, 1834, and came to Oregon in June, 1853. He settled at Gold Beach in Dec., 1874, and in 1878 went to Ophir, and still resides on the same farm which is well improved. He is engaged in stock raising, dairying, fruit raising and has kept a public house for the last eighteen years. He was elected county judge for Curry Co., in 1875, and served one term. His wife's maiden name was Eliza Willard, born in Aurora, N.Y., July 3, 1871. They have two adopted children, George D., born Oct., 1855; and Sybil L., born Sept. 30, 1887.|
|WRIDGE, William B., was born in Dallas Co., Texas on Feb. 5, 1872, and came to Curry Co., Or., in 1892, and he settled on Rocky Prairie. His wife's maiden name was Ruby M. Forgy, born Sept. 22, 1875, married Dec. 24, 1896. He owns a good farm.|
|WRIGHT, David A., was born in Newton Co., Mo., May 24, 1874, came to Coos Co. in 1891 and lived for a time at Myrtle Point, but in 1893 he [the biography that continues on the next page is a different individual. I believe that this is the proper continuation] moved to the Sixes river and has been engaged in mining. His wafe's maiden name was Mary Ann Cox, born in Curry Co., Aug. 23, 1876, and they have one child, John W., born Dec. 31, 1897.|
|WYGANT, Henry, was born in Bavaria, Oct. 1, 1826, and arrived in Curry Co. in 1860, but now resides on the South Fork of the Coquille River. His wife's maiden name was Annie A. Noah, born in Iowa, April 16, 1853, married in March, 1868, died in 1893. Their children are William, born Feb. 13, 1871; George, July 13, 1873; Chas. [Charles], Jan. 21, 1876; Leonard, Jan. 1874; Rosetta, Jan. 12, 1882; Mary L., May 21, 1889; Geo. [George] died Feb. 28, 1894. He is a farmer and his sons were all born in Coos Co., and are all prominent young men.|
X, Y and Z
|YOAKAM, John, was born in Knox Co. Ohio, Nov. 4, 1820 and came to Oregon in the spring of 1853 and settled in Jackson Co., where he remained until Feb. 1854, when he moved to Coos Bay, and settled at Empire City, then the only town in Coos Co. In the spring of 1855 he move to a homestead on the old Randolph trail and had been there only a short time when a large spruce tree fell on the house and killed five of their children. They then returned to Empire City and remained there until Mrs. Yoakam recovered from the shock and then returned to their ranch, but remained there only a short time and returned to Empire City and opened a boarding house. A year afterwards they went to the South Fork of the Coquille river and settled on a portion of the Sam Dement ranch and after a shor time sold out and purchased the claim of Minnie Jones, about six miles south of Myrtle Point. They sold out to Dr. Hermann in 1867 and moved to Coos river, and settled twelve miles from Marshfield, and lived there until Mr. Yoakam's death Jan. 14 1876. Mrs. Yoakam now resides on the old ranch formerly owned by Wm. Jackson. Mr. Yoakam's wife's maiden name was Eliza Davis, born in Burke Co., Pa., Nov. 10, 1821 and married Aug. 14, 1843 and their children's names are Drusilla, Susannah, Henry C., Jasper A., George W., Harriet R., Nancy E., Martha, John, Joseph H., Mary E., Asa S., Caroline Holderman (adopted). Henry C. died July 14, 1853. Drusilla, Susannah, Hariett, Nancy, and Caroline were all killed by the falling tree. March 27, 1855. Asa died Sept. 5, 1867.|
|YOAKAM, John was born in Coos Co., July 30, 1859 and resides on Coos river. His children are Edwin D. born July 2, 1886, Jasper Nov. 9, [no more on him, left out in the printing]|
|YOAKAM, Joseph H. was born in Coos Co. Feb 14, 1862, and at the age of seven moved with his parents to Coos River, where he has since resided. His wife's maiden name was Harriett I. Jones, born in Douglas Co. Or., May 3, 1864, and their children's names are: Eliza D., Laura C., Stacy J., Lillie K. and Eulalie A.|
|ZEEK, Horace L., was born in Cass Co., Mich., June 30, 1860, and came to Oregon in January, 1871, and in September, 1890, settled near Gold Beach, and commenced farming, and in 1898 moved to Wedderburn and opened a hotel. His wife's maiden name was Mary Dillman, born in Penn., Feb., 1869, and their one child is Frank F., born May 29, 1893.|
|ZUMWALT, Charles W., was born in Polk Co., Mo., and came to Curry Co., Or., Aug. 26, 1869, and settled on Sixes river. His wife's maiden name was Agnes Eleanor Blacklock, born in New Zeland, April 9, 1863, married June 7, 1887, and they have five children.|
|ZUMWALT, Henry J., was born in St. Chas. Co., Mo., Nov. 24, 1819, and came to Oregon Oct. 6, 1850, and settled in Curry Co., Aug. 18, 1869, on the Sixes river, six miles from Port Orford, on what is known as Valley farm and still resides there. He is a stock raiser, dairyman and farmer. His wife's maiden name was Elizabeth C. Rupard, born April 15, 1824, in Tennessee, and their children's names are Chas. W., born Feb. 20, 1847; Francis E., born Jan. 5, 1853; Mary A.P., born March 26, 1866 [sic; 1856? See Elza Blackberry].|
To Biographical Appendix A - L
Back to 1898 History
All data on this website is © Copyright 2007-present by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.