Genealogy Trails logo


Pioneer History of
Coos and Curry Counties, Or.

Heroic Deeds and Thrilling Adventures of the Early Settlers

Published under the Auspices of the Pioneer and Historical Association of Coos Co.

Orvil Dodge, Historian

Salem Oregon

Capitol Printing Co.

1898

Biographical Appendix

Each group may not be in alphabetical order

A     B     C     D     E     F     G     H     I     J     K     L     M     N/O    
P/Q     R     S     T     U/V     W     X/Y/Z    

AASIN , J.E., [sic; AASEN, S.E. ] was born in Norway, May 15, 1846. He came to Oregon and settled in Coos County July 1, 1871. He took up land on Hall's creek and has lived there ever since. By occupation he is a sailor and has been on most of the seas on the globe. He married Marria Bagge who was born Dec. 28, 1843, in Chrihansai [sic; Kristianssund], Norway. Their children's names are Maria M., born Oct. 11, 1874, Edwin A., born May 16, 1878; Louis M., born March 11, 1880; John L., born Nov. 29, 1881; Signald [sic; Sigavold] A. and Magnar J., born Feb. 18, 1883; Oful H., born Oct. 6, 1884.
AIKEN, Andrew G., [Glenn] the subject of this sketch, a well-known and popular resident of Coquille City, Coos county, is a native of Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, and was born January 12, 1837, and resided on his father's farm until 16 years of age, March 18, 1853, he with his two brothers, John and James, set out to cross the plains with ox teams, and after a weary trip of six months they arrived in this state, first locating near Albany. After a short time our subject went to Washington Territory, where he remained until the fall of 1854, when he again returned to Oregon, this time locating in Coos county, and engaged in mining near the present site of Newport. On the breaking out of the Indian war on Rogue River, Mr. Aiken joined Captain Harris' company and took part in that memorable campaign. On cessation of hostilities, Mr. Aiken returned to the coal mines on the bay, and followed mining there and on Sixes river until 1858. he then engaged in the lumber business on Coos bay as a partner with his brother James, which he continued until 1875, with the exception of two years spent in Idaho. In the fall of 1875 he paid a visit to his old home in Pennsylvania, and on his return to Coos county in the spring, he was nominated on the Democratic ticket for the office of sheriff of that county, a position which he was elected to at the following election, and two years later was re-elected to the same office. On the expiration of his term of office, Mr. Aiken located in Coquille City, and in 1882 built his present commodious residence, in which he now resides. Mr. Aiken is a gentleman whom it is a pleasure to meet, being generous and hospitable to a fault. He now enjoys the comforts of a happy home, and the respect and confidence of the entire people of the county in which he resides. He was united in marriage in Coquille City, May 25, 1874, to Miss Augusta Cunningham. By this union they have one son and one daughter, Charles G. and Alice O.
ALLEN, Robert A., born in Butler Co., Ohio, June 4, 1846, and arrived in Curry Co., OR., in July 1890, and settled at Gold Beach. He follows teaming, farming and stockraising.
ALLEN, Theophilus T., was born in Lesell Co., Ill., Feb. 7, 1841, and came to Curry Co. in March, 1896, and settled on Sixes river and has been there ever since in the dairying and stock-raising business. His wife's maiden name was Mary L. Royer, born in France, Aug. 23, 1852, and their children's names are Harry, born Nov. 30, 1872; Lena L., born April 21, 1879; William, born Oct. 18, 1886.
ALUMBAUGH, Stephen A., born in Sullivan Co., Ind., Aug. 20, 1838, and came to Coos Co. in 1891 and settled on the Coquille river. His wife's maiden name was Mary E. Magart [sic; or Mogart], born in Mo. Nov. 25, 1843, married Nov. 1, 1863, and they have three children. He was in the war. He now follows stockraising and farming.
ANBERY, Amaziah, was born in Siskiyou Co., California, December 24, 1865, and came to Curry county in 1883, and settled on Rogue river. His wife's maiden name was Rachel Fry, born in Siskiyou county, California, March 11, 1866, married February 22, 1877, and they have three children. He follows mining and fishing.
ANDERSON, Dan'l [Daniel] L., was born in Warren Co., Tenn. Dec. 2, 1830, and came to Oregon in Oct. 1850. In May, 1880, he settled at Denmark P.O., in Curry Co., and purchased his present ranch in 1881. He is a farmer and stockraiser. His wife's maiden name was Mary A. Fitzhugh, born in Jackson Co., Mo., March 25, 1838, and their children's names are George A., Marie E., Enoch P., Melvin D., John H., Phebe F., Hannah H., Evaline L., Nuntie, Fitzhugh L., and Solomon D.
ANDERSON, E.A., born at Prince Edwards Island, B.N.A., May 29, 1842, and came to Coos Co., Or., in Sept., 1869, and settled at Coos Bay. His wife's maiden name was Caroline Murray and their children are Herbert, 27; Lillie, 24; Anna, 22; Maggie, 20; Eva, 18. He is a ship carpenter but is now in the livery and feed stable business at Marshfield, Or.
ANDERSON, Edmund A., born on Prince Edward Island in May, 1842, and came to Coos Co. in 1879 and settled at Marshfield where he has since resided. He is a shipbuilder, but has been engaged in the livery business at Marshfield for some time. His wife's maiden name was Caroline Murral [sic; Murray], born in Canada, and their children's names are Emma, Herbert, Lilly, Annie, Maggie and Eva. Emma died Feb. 4, 1898.[Duplicate entry as written. Dates of emigration do not match]
ANDERSON, Enoch P., was born in Douglas Co., Or., Mar. 24, 1859, and came to Curry Co. in 1877 and settled on Floras creek. His wife's maiden name was Maggie B. Martin, Apr. 19, 1865, (deceased); and their children are Henry L., Aug. 15, 1884; Wm. P., Jan. 24, 1888. He owns a fine farm.
ANDERSON, John L., was born at Cammas [sic; Camas] valley, Douglas county, Oct. 25, 1865, and came to Curry Co. May, 1882 and settled at Denmark, and moved to Bandon May 1, 1892. Mr. Anderson is a member of the Bandon Life Saving crew.
ANDERSON, Victor, was born in Finland, Nov. 1, 1863, and came to Coos Co. in May, 1881, and first settled at Marshfield, but in 1892 he moved to Catching slough, where he is engaged in farming. He is a logger and shipbuilder. His wife's maiden name was Annie Strang, born in Finland, Aug., 1863, and their children's names are are John V., Ida, Emma A., Inez L., and Andrew V. Jorn(sic) and Andrew are dead.
ARCHER, W.A., was born in Marshfield, Or., Aug. 1, 1876. He lives at Libby and is employed as assistant clerk in the O.C. & N. Co's store.
ARMPRIEST, J.H., was born in Missouri, Nov. 17, 1839, and came to Oregon in 1848. He settled in Curry Co. March 30, 1874, seven miles east of Gold Beach, and has since resided near that place. He was in Oregon City and witnessed the hanging of five of the Indians who helped in the massacre of Dr. Whitman and party, in 1850. His wife's maiden name was Hannah Hastings, born in Curry county March 18, 1860, and their children's names are Louis, born August 18, 1881, and William, born March 12, 1883. Both are dead.
ARUNDELL, Wm. H., was born in Albany Co., New York, April 23, 1842, and came to Curry county in January, 1878, and settled on Winchuck river. His wife's maiden name was Paulina J. Wheeler, born in Bratt county, Iowa, February 24, 1850, married May 21, 1865, and they have ten children. He is the owner of some valuable and and [sic] follows farming and stockraising.
AVERILL, James S., born in Albany Linn Co., Or., Jan 24, 1869, and came to Curry Co. the spring of 1880 and settled at Chetco. His wife's maiden name was Mina J. Lawrence and they have two children. He follows ranching and stockraising, and is also a steamboat man.
AYRES, Rachel A., was born in Fayette county, Ohio, April 8, 1838, and arrived in Oregon November 15, 1850 and came to Curry county in August, 1863, where she settled. Her maiden name was Rachel A. Moore and was married to John D. Post, November 11, 1854. Her children  are John, born Dec. 1, 1855, Emma L., Dec. 22, 1857, Asher H., June 29, 1859, Ida F., Aug. 21, 1861, Chas. W., June 7, 1864. Died Aug. 1890. She lived in Jackson county all through the Rogue River Indian war, and was in the fort about one year and a half. When Josephine county was organized she was then in that county, and lived there until 1863, when she came to Curry county and [s]ettled on Euchre creek. Was married in 1867 to John Smith and there were six children born to him. He died on Elk river in January, 1885. She then moved to Crystal creek, in 1888 and was married to L.D. Ayres in 1888. He died in 1889.

B

BAILEY, Chas. H., was born in Curry County, May 24, 1864, and resides near Gold Beach. his wife's maiden name was Nellie Graham, born May 12, 1869; married, March 12, 1890. He owns a fine farm
BARTELL, John, was born in Medford County, Pennsylvania, May 14, 1833, and came to Coos County march 20, 1884. He first settled at Norway, Coos county, but now lives at Myrtle Point. His wife's maiden name was Telitha E. Boydston, born June 15, 1844, and was married at Springfield, Lane County, Oregon. Their children are Owen B. , born January 27, 1868; Ida M., August 23, 1869; Arthur E., December 31, 1870; John A. March 27, 1872; Talbott I., January 25, 1874; Franklin L., Sept. 18, 1875; William L., July 22, 1877; George S. August 22, 1878; Jesse L., January 13, 1881; Chas. S., March 4, 1885.
BAKER, Wentworth V., was born in Maine, June 19, 1830, and came to Oregon in 1861 and arrived in Coos county in 1870 and settled on Haines slough, but in 1875 moved to Big creek south of Empire City, where he still resides and is engaged in farming. He was married July 1868, and has one child, CFhas. M. [sic; Chas.]
BAILEY, George W., was born in Nebraska July 2, 1854, and arrived in Coos county, Oregon in 1862 and went to Curry county in 1878. He first settled at Double Prairie, known as the John Berry ranch.
BARKLOW, C.H., was born in Keokuk county, Iowa, November 3, 1872, and came to Coos county in September, 1873 and settled near Myrtle Point, where he has since resides on his farm. His wife's maiden name was Etta A. Wagoner, born in Illinois, January 24, 1874, and their children's names are Rachel A., born June 3, 1892, and Zelia E., born October 2, 1897.
BAGLEY, Eli F., was born in Humbolt [Sic; Humboldt] county, California, November 9, 1872, and came to Curry county December 11, 1896, and settled on Elk river and still resides on the same. He is a dairyman and farmer. His wife's maiden name was Mary J. Harris, born in California, February 24, 1875, and they have one child, Lovetta, born November 15, 1897.
BARKLOW, J.D., was born in Breemer [sic; Bremmer] county, Iowa, December 24, 1856 and came to Coos county, Oregon, in September, 1872 and settled near Myrtle Point. His wife's maiden name was Sarah J. Leyellen [sic; Lewellen], born in Story county, Iowa, April 25, 1858. Their children are Fannie G., born Nov. 18, 1878; Leona B., July 2, 1881; Harvey M., August 12, 1883; J. Levi, June 25, 1885; Florence A., December 23, 1890. He is a farmer.
BARKLOW, Daniel, was born in Free Fort, Illinois, July 5, 1865, and came to Oregon in 1872. He first settled on a farm near Myrtle Point. His wife's maiden name was Mary J. Pullen, born June 15, 1868, in Richland county, Illinois. Their children are John, born November 4, 1885; Wilhaign, January 3, 1890; Nancy Ellen, March 8, 1892; Walter, February 26, 1896. The subject of this sketch is one of the prominent ranchers and mail contractors of Coos county, having resided here from childhood.
BARKLOW, Thomas, was born in Stephenson county, Illinois, May 30, 1853. He arrived in Coos county, October 13, 1873, and settled near Myrtle Point. He was married in Keokuk county, Iowa, November 16, 1871, to Ann E. Miller, and the names of the children are as follows: Charles Henry Barklow, born November 3, 1872; Mary Ann Barklow, April 7, 1875; George Wilber and John Wesley, twins, born November 3, 1880; Gracy Myrtle, born July 30, 1883; Nora Bell, born April 4, 1886.

For more information on Thomas
Barklow, including 12 letters written in 1924 and 1925 from Southern California, visit Coquillevalley.org.
BAKER, Charles M., was born in Benton county, Oregon, and come to Coos county in August, 1870, and settled on Haynes slough and is engaged in farming and stockraising. His wife's maiden name was Mary E. Lipton, born in Douglas county, Oregon, June 12, 1867, and they have one adopted boy.
BALDWIN, Henry Hewiat, the American Dragon
Oh, were I but a boy again, with
     fairy visions teeming.
Of love and war and gay romance, all
     o'er my senses beaming,
I'd seek for fame, and honored name,
     in ranks of death to find them.
A warrior's plume, or soldier's grave,
    with glory fame behind them.
The subject, or writer of this slight sketch or memoir, first breathed air and saw the light of this mundane sphere the 30th of April, 1825, the termination of the first quarter of this great memorable and enlightened century. Born in the historic town of Bandon, Cork, Ireland, the home of the immortal poet
Spencer, author of the Fairie Queen, and whose daughter, as Mrs. G. Bennett, the historian (as our townsmen express it), "now sleeps, and where the shadow of the spire of the oldest protestant edifice in Ireland, and the shade of the chestnut and the elm, spreads a dark and broad pale over her grave, a fitting resting place for a child of the immortal bard."
BAGNELL, Alfred P., was born in Curry county, April 12, 1872, and now owns a ranch on Rogue river, and is engaged in farming and stock raising.
BATES, John O., was born in Bath, Maine, March 8, 1840, and arrived at Coos Bay November, 1864. He first settled at Bandon and finally settled on Two-mile, seven miles south of Bandon, in the year 1888, and resides there still. His children are Lottie (deceased), Annie and Frank M. Mr. Vate [sic; Bates served] under Captain A.B. Ingram, Company K, First regiment of Oregon. He suffered to serve three years and was discharged June 25, 1866 at Fort Vancouver, Washington Territory by reason, mustered out.
BAZZILL, John, was born in Beaver county, Pennsylvania, Aug. 10, 1829, and came to Oregon in October, 1858. He arrived in Coos county in the fall of 1862, and settled on Isthmus slough, but now resides on North Coos river. He is engaged in farming and stock raising. He is a shoemaker by trade. His wife's maiden name was Mary E. Robb, born in Indiana, June 7, 1835, and married in 1888.
BARKLOW, James H, was born in Stephenson county, Illinois, May 4, 1862, and arrived in Coos county in August, 1872. He first settled near the forks of the Coquille river, but now resides at Bandon. His wife's maiden name was Louisa Randleman. They have four children, Walter, aged 6 years; Ervin, 3; Clarence, 8; Elfreda, 1 year. His principal occupation has been that of school teaching and was elected to the office of county school superintendent in 1894 and re-elected to the same office in 1896.
BARRIE, James, was born in Leith, Scotland, May 10, 1865, and came to Coos county, Oregon, April 15, 1887, and settled at Marshfield. His wife's maiden name was Minnettie Clapp, born in Burlington, Coffee county, Kansas, November 16, 1870, and was married November 16, 1886. Their children are, Edna N., born July 30, 1890; James Rolland, September 19, 1895. He owns a fine farm.
BAGLEY, Joseph, was born in Humboldt county, California, September 2, 1877, and came to Curry county and settled on Elk river, near Port Orford, and still resides on the same. He is a farmer and dairyman.
BAKER, John J., was born in Sullivan county, Missouri, December 17, 1850, and came to Coos county, August 18, 1887 and settled at Coquille City, but now lives at Myrtle Point. His wife's maiden name was Delila Coon, born in Linn county, Oregon, May 30, 1855, married June 17, 1873. Their children are John W., born November 1, 1874; Sarah A. (deceased) April 21, 1877; Lewis, June 17, 1880; Allie, Feb. 22, 1882; Bertha, August 23, 1884; Preston, November 23, 1886; Dollie, Feb. 11, 1892; Lester, March 26, 1895; Mr. Baker's occupation is stage driving and cattle buying.
BALDWIN, Henry H. [Hewiat], was born in Bandon, Cork county, Ireland, April 30, 1825, and came to Coos county January 3, 1852. He first settled at Roland Prairie. He enlisted in the First Oregon volunteer cavalry, stationed at Eugene City, and was mustered out at Vancouver.
BALDWIN, Edgar, was born December 25, 1853, in Hinge county, Illinois and arrived in Oregon in 1889, and came to Coos county in 1891. He first settled at Myrtle Point and then moved five miles south of Bandon, where he now resides. His wife's name was Rosetta Smith, born in Washington, February 20, 1860, married October 2, 1879. Their children are Curtis T., born October 14, 1880; Herbert E., December, 1882; Mary, November 25, 1884; Nellie, December 15, 1886; Laura, April 18, 188[sic;1888], Walter, June 15, 1890; Ernest, January 5, 1892; William C., October 18, 1897. His occupation is plastering, bricklaying and ranching. 
BEATTIE, Robert, was born at Galloway, Scotland, February 20, 1834, and arrived in Coos county, Oregon, February 14, 1868, and settled at Empire. He was the first miner on the blacksand mines at Randolph and was formerly a sailor. He came here on the ship Douglas forty-two days from New South Wales. He ran away from the ship Douglas and lost all his clothes.
BELIEU, Samuel L., was born in Davis county, Missouri, April 7, 1836, and came to Coos county, Oregon in 1859 and settled on Sixes river. His wife's maiden name was Nancy Leggitt, born March 15, 1851, in Cloy county, Missouri. Their children are Ella E., born Feb. 6, 1868; John B., May 9, 1871; Lulu B., September 9, 1876; Lloyd L., June 22, 1882. He is a farmer and a logger.
BETTYS, William, was born in Kentucky, October 2, 1862, and came to Oregon and settled on the North Fork at Burton's Prairie in August, 1874. He is a farmer. His wife's maiden name was Emma A. Laird, born in Sacramento county, California, October 30, 1863.
BETHEL, Geo. [George] H., was born in Galway county, Ireland, October 27, 1860, and arrived in Oregon in 1887, and settled near Langlois. He follows dairying.
BERSAGER, Chris, was born in Stavanger, Norway, January 13, 1867, and came to Curry county, June 18, 1890, and settled at Frankfort. His wife's maiden name was Mary E. Colebrook, born in Missouri, November 12, 1875, and they have two children.
BEATTIE, John, was born in Galloway, Scotland, September 20, 1842, and came to Coos county, Oregon, March, 1870, on the schooner Good Templar, and first settled on Coos Bay; then moved to Randolph in the fall of 1870, and then to the Beattie place in 1875. Mr. Beattie sailed around Cape Horn in the ship Golden Gate, and after spending a month in California, he came to Coos county, and has lived here ever since, except five years in Placer county, California for his health.
BESSEY, Elmer L., was born in Massachusetts, October 27, 1863, and came to Coos county in October, 1887, and settled on Coos river and is engaged in farming and dairying. His wife's maiden name was Clara Guptill, born in California, May 15, 1867, and their children's names are Warren E., and Alder E.
BENTZ, John, was born in Essex county, New Jersey, March 6, 1842, and came to Coos county, Oregon in the spring of 1875, and settled at Marshfield. His wife's maiden name was Lizzie Forty, born in Herefordshire, England, August 8, 1859, married June 4, 1880, and their children are Geo. W., born May 1, 1881; Frederic Chas., November 3, 1883, and a child by his former wife, Hattie, October 28, 1878. He is a farmer.
BISHEL, W.A., was born in Wisconsin, July 26, 1859, and arrived in Curry county, Oregon in 1894, and settled in Ohpir [sic; Ophir]. His wife's maiden name was Laura Miller and they have one child. He is a mechanic and carpenter.
BLACK, Henry N., was born in Missouri, Feb. 5, 1838, and came to Oregon in 1864. In 1875 he settled in Coos county, about two miles from Sumner and still resides there engaged in farming. His wife's maiden name was Sarah H. McGee and their children's names are John D., William F., Lucy A., George N. and Mary J.
BENDER, August, was born in Magdenburg, Curh Hesse, Germany, the 18th of November, 1810. He came to the United States in 1837, where he married Miss Cannie Trust, the 13th of November, 1830 [sic; 1839]. He opened a merchant tailoring establishment in Baltimore and succeeded so well that he had from twelve to fourteen men constantly employed, but his health was failing fast, and after making several trips to different parts of the United States in hopes of once more enjoying the boon of health, he sold out, and came with Dr. Hermann's party to this coast. After looking the country over he settled in Santa Cruz, California, in 1865, where he lived until he died on the 13th day of November, 1880, at the same hour that he was married, forty-one years before.
BENDER, Mrs. August, was born in Frankenburg, Curh Hesse, Germany, on the 15th of October, 1819. She followed her ailing husband in all his travels and like the true wife and mother she was, did her utmost to prolong life of him, with whom she had spent forty-one years of happiness. When finally death claimed her noble husband, it prostrated her. For three years she bore her sorrows alone, in Baltimore, but the heart that was so used to love and be loved could stand it no longer. Her only child was living in Oregon. there and there alone were the only ties which bound her to life. So in 1883 she came here to her son, the only child she ever had, and there she found filial love. Surrounded by loving children and grandchildren that venerable lady now spends her remaining years. May they be many is the wish of all who have the honor of knowing her.
BENDER, Edward, was born in Baltimore in 1841. He came to this coast with his parents and lived in Santa Cruz, California, until 1875, when he came to Myrtle Point and opened a general merchandise store on the place of Dr. Hermann. He married Miss Nellie Hermann in 1876, and moved his store to Myrtle Point. Mr. Bender was appointed Postmaster and Notary Public the same year, and in 1881 was elected Justice of the Peace. All of these positions he held until 1897, and is at the present connected with the general land office of Washington, D.C. Surely these facts go further than any words to show in what esteem that gentleman is held by the people of Myrtle Point and Coos county. Mr. and Mrs. Bender have three children living, two having died. Otto Binger died the 18th of January, 1882, and Ferdinand died the 8th of July, 1888. the living children are August, 21 years old, Ernest Edward, 19 years old, and Chester Leopold, 15 years old.
BENNETT, George , to whom the pioneers are indebted for volunteer literary work on this volume, came to the Coquille in 1873; settled about one mile below Bandon Ferry on land first settled by Thompson Lowe, being the first donation claim taken in this section of the country; is a native of Ireland and a man of large intelligence, author of the history of Bandon, Ireland, a very creditable work. The visitor at Bandon does not fully enjoy the curiosities of that important health resort unless he strolls down the beach and meets this venerable seer of Coos county. He has a comfortable home on the bank, some sixty feet above the beach, where he can scan the surface of the "briny deep" as far as the human eye can reach and from this western shore the elderly gentleman has witnessed some of the most beautiful sunsets as that orb settled itself down in mid ocean among variegated colors caused by approaching twilight and reflected across the great Pacific. Mr. Bennett had much to do in founding the city of Bandon, and gave the place its name in honor of his birthplace in the Emerald Isle. All along the coast Mr. Bennett is known on account of his public spirit and literary attainments. For years he has been the weather observer for Coos county and has been diligent in furnishing his reports as required by the United States government to the bureau established for that purpose. He married Catherine Ann Scott Harrison and there were three children born to them. J.W. born in 1855; G.A. born in 1856; both reside in Marshfield, Coos county, and Alfred C., born in 1857, resides in Africa.
BLUMENROTHER, Charles T., was born in New York City, June 8, 1846, and came to Coos county in June, 1885, settling on Butte Creek, fourteen miles south of Bandon. He is an old soldier of the rebellion, having passed through fifty-two different engagements during that struggle. He is also connected with the military affairs of Coos Co. His wife's maiden name was E.L.M. Meler, born in Prussia, Aug. 8, 1850, and their children's names are Thomas J.G., born May 22, 1871; Pauline R.W., born March 2, 1875; and Frank H., born Oct. 21, 1886.
BLACK, John D., was born in Oregon Aug. 7, 1866 and came to Coos Co. in 1875 and settled at Sumner, but is at present the postmaster at Marshfield. He is an accountant. His wife's maiden name was Miss Lillian G. More, born at Marshfield, Mar. 9, 1875, and they have one child, Sarah Lillian.
BLAKE, Henry H., was born in New York, Apr. 13, 1862, and came to Coos Co. in 1875, and settled on Coos river and still resides there. He is a farmer and logger. His wife's maiden name was Annie Sabrier, born at Empire City, Coos Co., July 3, 1869, and their children's names are Lavina and Harry.
BLAKE, John G., was born in Massachusetts, September 16, 1830, and came to Coos Co., in July 1873 and settled on North Coos river where he died shortly afterwards. His widow married William Vincamp, who was born in Pennsylvania June 17, 1839. They have two children, Frank and William.
BLAKE, William, was born in McKeen Co,, Pennsylvania, December 11, 1827, and came to Oregon in Sept. 1871. In March, 1873, he came to Coos Co. and settled on the North Coos river and still resides there. His wife's maiden name was Emma Blake, and their children's names are Willie H., born Dec. 27, 1876, died Aug. 20, 1880; John G., born Mar. 6, 1878; Carles [Charles] M., born April 17, 1881; Thomas F.,  born Aug. 29, 1884.
BLAKE, Thomas, was born in Ray Co, Missouri, Aug. 4, 1849, and came to Oregon in October, 1864, and settled on the North Fork of the Coos river in Nov., 1873 and still resides there. He is a farmer. His wife's maiden name Fannie Woodruff, born in Ohio, Jan. 21, 1851, and their children's names are Maggie A., Jettie M., Luella E. and Martha V.
BLACKERBY, Elza M., was born at Silverton, Marion Co., Or., Jan. 18, 1851, and arrived in Curry Co., June 1, 1883, and first settled on Floras Creek. His wife's maiden name was Mary F.E. Clymer, born Jan. 5, 1856, and was married Nov. 6, 1878. His second wife, Mary P. Zumwalt, was born Mar. 26, 1856, married Mar. 30, 1881. Their children are Mary E. V., born Nov. 14, 1879; Eldon Z., born Sept. 10, 1882; Frank J., born Sept. 24, 1884; Bonnie L., born May 30, 1880 [sic; 1890?]; Robbie T., born Mar. 3, 1891.
BOGARUS, E.M., was born in New York City, Oct. 25, 1858, and came to Oregon in 1884. He steeled on Rogue river in 1893, and has been a printer and publisher for twenty-five years. His wife's maiden name was A. B. Greene, and their children's names are Earl, aged 9 years, and Darrow aged 5 years.
BOONE, A.D., was born in Missouri June 3, 1837, and came to Oregon  in December, 1846. In June, 1869, he settled in Coos Co., at Sumner. He is a great-grandson of Daniel Boone, of Kentucky fame, and in coming across the plains the compass which had belonged to the famous hunter was stolen by the Indians. His wife's maiden name was Nancy L. Baker, born in Jackson Co., Mo., Jan. 22, 1848, and their children's names are J. Archie, Luli L., James L., Henry C., and Myrtle L.
BOSSEN, Edgar, was born in Germany in 1851 and came to Curry Co. April 28, 1880 and settled on a homestead and has lived there ever since. He started the first brick yard in Curry Co., on his farm near Langlois. His wife's maiden name was Maeia Brown, who was born in Germany, and their children's names are Edward H., aged 22, William B., aged 20; Olla B., aged 18; Mary B., aged 16; Andrew, aged 14; Ellen, aged 12; Jennie, aged 9; Gracie, aged 6; Henry aged 4 years.
BOLSTER, George, was born in Canada, April 20, 1862, and came to Coos Co.  in Sept. 1882 and settled at Bay City and worked in the saw mill. His wife's maiden name was Josephine J. Stemmerman, born in California, Nov. 12, 1858. They now reside on the South Slough, five miles from Empire City.
BONEBRAKE, Charles L., was born in Lane county, Oregon, came to Coos county Dec. 10, 1862, and lived at Newport Mines for about two years, then settled on Ross slough, and is a logger and farmer. His wife's maiden name was Jennett Monroe, born Sept. 14, 1865, and their children's names are Xelle L., Mellissa L., and Lucy I.
BONEBRAKE, Henry S., was born in Marion Co., Iowa, Apr. 21, 1858, and came to Coos Co., Or. the summer of 1866 and settled on Catching Slough, but now resides at Marshfield. His wife's maiden name was Ida M. Newland, born in California, Mar. 17, 1870, married Dec. 10, 1889, and their children are Eulelie A., born Jan. 13, 1891, died Mar. 6, 1893; Alton E., born Aug. 26, 1894, died Feb. 10, 1897; Verle S., born Nov. 14, 1897. He is a jeweler.
BONEBRAKE, Josiah V., was born in Indiana, Feb. 14, 1837, and came to Coos Co. Dec 10, 1862, and settled at the Newport Mines, but now resides on Ross Slough and is engaged in farming. His wife's maiden name was Sarah B. Ross, born in Indiana, July 14, 1835, and they have two adopted children, Charles L. and Jennie P.
BOND, Joel, was born in Linn Co., Or., Feb. 21, 1851 , and came to Curry Co., in July, 1867 and settled on Crystal creek, but moved to a ranch near Port Orford in the fall of 1873, and still resides there. He is a dairyman and stockraiser.
BOURON, M.J.., was born in Lawrence Co., Ohio, Nov. 13, 1848. He came to Coos Co., Or., in Mar., 1875 and settled at Eastport. His wife's maiden name was Harriet Davis, born in London, England, Dec. 22, 1852, and their children are Lizzie, born aug. 16, 1871; John R., Jan. 28, 1873; Robert B., Mar. 25, 1878; Hattie May, Apr. 2, 1885. He is a coal miner.
BOICE, Zaccheus, was born in Cooper Co., Mo., Apr, 1, 1851, and came to Curry Co. Jan. 8, 1877, and settled on Floras Creek. His wife's maiden name was Eliza J. Gault, born in Patterson, N.J., Oct. 1, 1850, married Jan. 8, 1871, and they have five children. His occupation is stockraising and dairying. They have seen a great many hardships in frontier life.
BRACK, Phillip was born in Germany in Sept., 1828, and came to Coos Co. in June, 1852, and settled on the Middle Fork of the Coquille River. His wife's maiden name was Flora Fredenberg, born May 6, 1854, and their children's names are William H., born Apr. 30, 1871; Daniel N., Sept. 28, 1873; Mahhalia, Nov. 12, 1875; Suzannah B., Aug. 18, 1877; Mary E., May 7, 1880; Emma V., Sept. 29, 1890; Margaret C., Mar. 26, 1893. He was on the schooner Lincoln, the account of which will be found on another page when she was cast ashore.
BREMER, William, was born in Germany May 1, 1861, and came to Coos Co. in 1885, and worked for a time in the Newport coal mines. He later purchased a ranch on North Coos river and is engaged in farming. His wife's maiden name was Mary L. Michelbrink, born in San Francisco, Nov. 26, 1871, and their children's names are Lizzie M., Henry W., and Caroline.
BROWN, Gabriel A., was born in Lyon Co., Ky., Jan. 16, 1833, and started across the plains in March, 1861, for Coos Co., Or. After many difficulties and hardships the arrived at Myrtle Point September 14, 1861, with scarcely a change of clothing for his wife, children or himself, and only $2.50 in money. His oxen all died on the way, and after putting the children into a friend's wagon, he and his wife walked the last 250 miles. He rented a place the first year, but in 1862 he bought a place two miles above Myrtle Point, since known as the Brown place. In 1881 he opened a livery stable in Myrtle Point and in 1884 moved to Coquille City, and went into business and invested in property. In 1887 he bought the Tupper House, at Bandon, but sold again and went back to Coquille City, in 1889, and has since lived there. He was married to Mirand J. Hill, and they had eight children, all of whom are dead but one, James C. Brown, of Myrtle Point. His wife died in 1887 and in 1889 he married the widow Mathison, a Danish woman.
BROWN, James C. [Note: This section of the biography in Orvil Dodge's book is listed under the name of Christian Lehnherr, and there is some confusion as to which information is correct. It is reconstructed using other records as noted.] [was ??? May 25, 1888 in KY. His wife's maiden name is Mary Catherine Lehnherr, a daughter of Christian and Mary Catherine (Touberet) Lehnherr. Christian Lehnherr is the founder of Myrtle Point.] They have one child, Grover C., born May 25, 1899 [sic; 1888]. Mr. Brown is city marshal of Myrtle Point, and has served 7 years.
BUCKR. E., was born Mar. 2, 1844, and came to Coos Co., Or., Oct. 28, 1874, and settled on Floras creek, but now lives at Coqullle City. His wife's maiden name was Lucy E. Grant, born in Lee Co., Iowa, Feb. 13, 1846. They have two adopted children, Nettie Winchester, aged 18, also Ella, aged 20. Mr. Buck was the first one to start a livery stable in Coquille and the names of business men there then are as follows; Dr. Mattesson, druggist; Emerson & Hary, dry goods and groceries; J. T. Moulton, same business as last named; C. Andrews, grocery store; Mrs. A. L. Olive, millinery; John Nasburg, saloon; Mrs. S.E. Robertson, hotel; J. P. Messers, Olive hotel; Dr. Angle; D. L. Steal, dentist; R. Matson, shoe maker; G. Mehl, brewerman; Rodabaugh [sic; Radabaugh], preacher; and there were about seven or eight families living there also.

C

CAREY, Jesse W., was born in Hamilton Co., Ind., Nov. 15, 1844, and came to Curry Co., Oct. 15, 1869, and settled at Ellensburg. He now owns a ranch two miles south of the Carey sheep ranch and is a stock raiser and farmer. He served in the civil war. His wife's maiden name was Lucy C. Canfield, born in Illinois, Jan. 10, 1863, and their children's names are Rolla J., born Jan. 21, 1894, and Mirna J., born June 26, 1897, L. Lena (by a former marriage) born May 16, 1863.
CAREY, William was born in Salem, Henry Co., Iowa, May 30, 1843, and came to Curry Co., OR. June 20, 1893, and settled on Euchre Creek, and has resided in the same neighborhood ever since. He is a veteran of the late war. His wife's maiden name was Elizabeth Mendenhall, born in Indiana, Aug 14, 1847, and their children's names are: Eva M. b. Sept,19, 1876; Susanna b. June 22, 1878; Dotha M. b. Feb. 12, 1880; Mary E. b. June 16, 1885.
CARVER, William M. was born in Bourbon County, Kansas, August 12, 1869 and came to Oregon in August, 1882. He settled in Curry County September 23, 1890 and is engaged in stockraising. His wife's maiden name was Hannah A. Huff, born Oct. 5, 1871 and died March 7, 1894. He has one child, John H. born March 7, 1894.
CATCHING, James was born in Marion Co., Tenn. April 4, 1827 and came to Oregon in Sept. 1857 [sic; 1847], and settled in Coos Co., in October 1871, near Sumner and still resides there on a farm. He is one of the Marple party, who came into this county in as early day, but did not decide to make this county his home until 1871. His wife's maiden name was Pattsy E. Russell, born in Lincoln Co., MO., May 20, 1840. and their children's names are John W.; Mary J.; Sarah E.; and Arthur W.
CATCHING, John W. was born in Douglas Co., OR. March 20, 1855. He came to Coos Co. in 1871 and settled at Sumner and still resides there, and is engaged in stockraising and farming. His wife's maiden name was Hattie A. Bollenbough, born in Oregon, Nov. 30, 1866 and their children's names are George W., Bertha E., and Effie I.
CHANDLER, William, was born in Cowford [sic] Co., Mo., June 28, 1853, and came to Coos Co., Or., in 1874, and settled near Myrtle Point. His wife's maiden name was Margaret R. Bird, born in Myrome [sic] Co., Tenn., July 20, 1854, married Nov. 3, 1870, and they have thirteen bright children. He now resides in Curry Co., and is a farmer.
CLARNO, Henry L., was born in Haswell Co., IL Sept. 8, 1855, and came to Oregon in 1863. In March 1874, he settled in Curry Co., on Cayuse Prairie and in 1884 moved to Catching Creek, but now lives on Rogue River, near the mouth. He is an old veteran of the Indian Wars. His wife's maiden name was Julia A. Buell, born in Douglas Co., Or. July 14, 1868, and their children's names are: Lucinda F. b. June 24, 1885; James W. b. April 22, 1887; d. Sept 5, 1891; George W., b. Aug. 18, 1889; John W. b. March 18, 1892, d. Oct. 3, 1894; Albert E. b.Oct. 13, 1894; and Clarence C. b. July 23, 1897.
CLINKENBEARD, J.J. [John Jay] was born in Portland, OR Jan. 9, 1850, and came to Coos Co., in Apr 1875 and settled on the Coos River and is a farmer. His wife's maiden name was Philura Vanderburg, born in Iowa, Nov. 19, 1850, and their children's names are: George, Anna D., Jay, Karl, Ada and Ralph.
CLINTON, George W., was born in Crawford Co., Mo., Aug. 7, 1859, arrived in Coos county, Oregon, Oct. 14, 1873, and first settled on the North Fork of the Coquille river, near Gravelford, and has lived there ever since until Jan. 29, 1897: they moved near Norway, where he now lives. His wife's maiden name was Teresa J. Kenedy [sic; Kennedy], born in Bloomington, Ill., June 13, 1865. Their children are Ellen P., born in Coos Co., Sept. 16, 1885; James I., born June 28, 1887; Sarah M., born June 25, 1889; Thomas L., born Jan. 18, 1893. His occupation is farming.
CLINTON, James A., was born in Gasconade Co., Mo., and came to Coos Co., Or., in Oct., 1873. He first settled on the North Fork of the Coquille river and has resided there ever since. His wife's maiden name was Lamb and their children's names are Catherine J., born June 28, 1843; J.D., born Oct. 21, 1844; Margaret E. and W.M., twins, born Feb. 22, 1847; J.W. and Mary Ann, twins, born Nov. 10, 1848; Nancy J., born May 18, 1852; J.E., born March 13, 1854; R.J., born Nov. 13, 1855; Sarah E., born June 1, 1857; G.W., born Aug. 7, 1859; James T., born Aug. 11, 1861; H.I., born Sept. 2, 1865.

He came from Missouri to San Francisco by rail and thence to Coos Bay by water and then hired teams to haul them out to Burton Prairie. From there they packed in over a trail to where they now live. What they could not pack themselves they hired horses to carry. All their supplies they had to use they had to pack in for three years, before they got a wagon in. when they came here the brush and logs was so thick there their house now stands that they could not see out and could not get out without cutting their way through.
CLINTON, Joseph E. was born in Crawford Co., MO, March 13, 1854, and came to Coos Co., and settled on the North Fork of the Coquille River in the fall of 1873. His wife's maiden name was Lizzie A. Shuck, born in Lucas Co., Iowa, Dec. 19, 1861, and they have one child, Vernon C., born Aug. 25, 1887.
CLINTON, Robert J., was born in Crawford Co., Mo., Nov. 13, 1855, and came to Coos Co. in the fall of 1873, and settled on the North for and still resides there. He is a farmer. His wife's maiden name was Mary J. Carter, born in Douglas Co., Or., March 21, 1868, and their children's names are D. Pearl, born Sept. 1, 1888; Lillian G., born Nov. 23, 1889; Maud P., born June 27, 1890; Dora A., born Jan. 23, 1894.
COLLIER, B.F. [Benjamin Franklin] was born in Buchanan Co., Iowa, April 7, 1854, and came to Oregon about the middle of September, 1860, and settled in Coos Co., near where Coquille City now stands, and remained there. His wife's maiden name was Judith Morras, born in Fayette Co., Iowa, July 28, 1858. Their children are Annie Collier, born April 18, 1877; W.G. Sept. 9, 1878, died April 18, 1890; M.F., Feb 19, 1884, and died Nov. 28, 1890.
COLLIER, Joseph was born in Wayne Co., Ohio, Nov. 7, 1817, and arrived in Oregon about the middle of Sept., 1860. He came to Coos Co. in August, 1865, and settled near where Coquille City now stands, and still resides there. His wife's maiden name was Hannah J. Hathaway, born in Warren county, Ohio, June 19, 1823. Their children are: Henry James, born June 2, 1844; Evaline, Feb. 6, 1846; Joseph Allen, Nov. 19, 1851, died Nov. 16, 1852; Benjamin F., April 7, 1854; Latha Jane, June 17, 1856; Charles E., Jan. 8, 1859; Geo., Nov. 18, 1862, Sarah A., Dec. 16, 1864; Dora Elizabeth, Oct. 7, 1866.
COLLVER, Andrew F., was born on Coos River, June 26, 1863, and now owns a homestead at Cape Arago [Coos Co.]. He is a farmer and deep sea fisherman. His wife's maiden name was Clara H. Williams, born in Douglas county, Oregon, October 27, 1871, and their children's names are Ray C., Floyd M., Ralph A., Lyell F.
COLLVER, Arthillo Monroe [Tillo]. He was a successful farmer of Coos County located up Catching Inlet. He had 160 acres which consisted of mostly pasture land for dairy farming. He received his education at the public school in which his father Alfred helped found. At the age of 14, he started work for himself, taking up work for his brothers for about 5 years, then purchased a small number of cattle and some time later rented his brothers farm of 200 acres and engaged in general farming. He afterward held a position of lighthouse keeper at Cape Arago for a short time but continued to give the necessary attention to his farming interests on his brother's place. In company with his older brother Ansel Mark Collver, he purchased 160 acres, and in 1904 purchased his brothers interest in the property. Twenty acres of land he brought to a high state of cultivation for use with a select herd of 15 dairy cows. He netted 85 dollars per annum per cow which was a record at that time. On June 15, 1898, "Tillo" was united in marriage to Miss Carrie Moore, Dufur, Wasco County Oregon. Borne in Woodbine, Harrison County, Iowa, 28 May 1880. She was the daughter of William H. and Elmira (Towne) Moore, the former a native of Indiana and the latter of Illinois. The Moores had 6 children: Marshall Moore, Frank Moore, Carrie ( married Tillo Collver ), Anna (m. Ed Colfelt), Jennie (m. Clarence R. Collver) and Arthur Moore. Apparently Arthur resided with Tillo and Carrie a number of years. Tillo and Carrie had 8 children of their own: Chester Alfred, Vernon W. Williams, Gladys Lucille, Gordon Monroe, Enid R., Marshall Monroe, Keith Truman, Joyce Almira. Tillo was a loyal adherent of the Republican party and was an officer of the school district. He belonged to the Woodsmen of the World and the Knights of Pythias. He and his wife were members of the United Brethren Church.
COLLVER, John T., was born in Lane Co., Or., Feb. 15, 1857, and came to Coos Co. in 1858 and settled on Coos river and is a dairyman and stockraiser. His wife's maiden name was Emma E. Armfield, born in California, and their children's names are Clarence R. and Lora D.
COLLVER, Ruth, was born in Mantua, Portage Co., Ohio, Oct. 29, 1827, and her husband was born in Cuyahoga Co., OH, Dec. 12, 1819. They arrived in Oregon July 3, 1852, but came to Coos Co., and settled on Coos river, Aug. 7, 1857. Her maiden name was Rice and her children are Henrietta, 49; Ansel M., 47; Adelia C., 46; Grace G., 44; Wm. Albert, 43; John T., 41; Sarah D., 38; Andrew F., 35; Arthur Howard, 31; Tillo M. Her husband planted the first fruit trees ever planted in Coos co., and also assisted in establishing the first school and church privileges, sharing his home with the preachers and all Christians who wished the gospel.
COLLVER, William A., was born in Douglas Co., Or., May 5, 1855, and came to Coos Co., in August, 1857, and settled on Coos River, but now resides in Marshfield. He is a carpenter. His wife's maiden name was Neomi Steinon [sic; Steinnon], born in Kansas City, Aug 4, 1871, and their children were Josephine R., and Myrtle I.
COKE, Thomas, was born in Hawkins Co., TN. Sept, 12, 1861. He arrived in Oregon in the fall of of 1870, and came to Coos County in 1871, and first settled near Dora P.O., but is now living one mile south of Sumner. He follows logging and farming as an occupation. He now has eighty acres of land and plenty of fruit. His wife's maiden name was May Stock, born in Douglas County, OR., Sept. 18, 1867 and was married October 20, 1886. Their children are Eva M. b. Aug. 27, 1887; Mildred C. b. Oct. 1, 1888; Bessie F. b. March 23, 1891.
COOK, George E. was born in Iowa, Aug. 17, 1868 and came to Coos Co., in Dec. 1876, and settled at Empire City, where he has been engaged in farming and stockraising. His farm is nine miles from Empire City. His wife's maiden name was Josephine Shields, born in California Dec. 2, 1876, and the have one child, John Edward.
COOLEY, James Alven [sic] was born in Carol Co., MO, October 30, 1844, and arrived in Curry Co., OR. June 9, 1860. His wife's maiden name was Marilda Stauton, born in Platt Co., MO., Sept. 19, 1849, married July 21, 1861, and the have eight children. He owns a neat little farm.
COOLEY, Miller was born in Madison Co., KY, Dec. 18, 1822 and came to Oregon in September 1853. In 1860 he settled one mile south of the Chetco River and has a nice farm and carries on stockraising and dairying. He is an old veteran of the Civil War. His wife's name was Elizabeth C. Hill, born in MO. Sept. 24, 1825, and their children's names are: James A. b.Oct. 30, 1844; Henry M. b.Oct. 28, 1848; Nettie C. b. Feb. 20, 1851; John D. b. Aug. 25, 1853; Mary E. b. Oct. 20, 1855; Martha F. b. Aug. 24, 1857; Nancy A. b. March 21, 1860; Annie U. b. Feb. 19, 1862; William L., b. March 23, 1864; A. R. b. Nov. 25, 1866.
COX, Joseph A., was born in Polk Co., OR. Jan. 8, 1847, and came to Curry Co., in Nov. 1865, and settled on Willow Creek near Denmark, and in 1867 he moved to a ranch near Langlois, where he has since resided. His wife's maiden name was Susan Wooden, born in Indiana, March 12, 1851, and their children's names are Sarah E. b. July 6, 1868; William A. b. Sept. 15, 1877; James G. b. March 19, 1869; Robert E.L. b. April 24, 1871; Mary M. b. March 31, 1873; Isham A. b. July 19, 1875.
COX, William, of Port Orford, came to Curry county in 1876. Reaching Floras Creek in November, in one of the worst storms that he had ever witnessed. The timber was being blown down and fragments sailing through the air, thus blockading the trails from the Coquille River to Floras Creek and Mr. Cox and party were obliged to leave their baggage, provisions and horses in the mountains and find their way out on foot, finally arriving at the Brock ranch, known now as the Starr ranch. There were but few settlers on Floras Creek at that time. The settlers at that time were Wm. Langlois and family, Wm. Burris, Jonathan Scott and his son, Alexander, on Floras Creek, George Rogers, on Willow Creek, George Painter, and Ned Wilson, on the north side of the Sixes, Patrick Hughs, on the south side and John West at Captain Blanco's, Wm. O. Sullivan and Aaron Dyer, at the mouth of Elk River; Mother Knapp, Wm. Tichenor, Alexander Thrift and Andrew Nashburg [sic; Nasburg] at Port Orford, A.H. Hinch on Elk River and Fred Unican. There were only pack trails at that time and elk trails to travel. The latter were numerous all over the country. It was nothing to see from fifty to one hundred elk in one day during that decade. There was no wagon road from Floras Creek to Port Orford until 1876. George Fitzhugh, Ed Good and Wm. Cox raised a subscription and the most of the settlers aided in work and with money, and a god [sic;good] road was cut out that winter. Cox and Fitzhugh were the leaders of the enterprise. Afterwards the county court ordered the road viewed and accepted it after those enterprising people had built it. Port Orford had been settled over thirty years and this was the first wagon road that lead away from that important harbor any distance; in fact, there were nothing but logging roads and lumber thoroughfares in the immediate neighborhood of the harbor. Since then more attention has been given to road building and Curry county justly boasts of a splendid road all along the coast through the whole length of the country, which gives them communication with the interior of the state at each end of the county; on the south via rant's [sic; Grant's] Pass, and on the north via Roseburg.

Cox, William, b. Illinois 1838, son of Isham and Mary Ann Cox. To Curry 1865; settled on Sixes River; worked with George Fitzhugh, Ed Good and other neighbors in building a road leading toward Port Oxford; Married three times. Children: Eugene, Effie, Adaline, Kitty, Ralph, Clove, Leonard and Della. (Source: A Century of Coos County, Oregon; Peterson and Powers, by Coos-Curry Pioneer Association)
CREW, Charles H. was born in Port Orford, Curry Co., Oregon, November 16, 1856, and has lived there all his life. He has a claim on the Sixes River, and is a miner, otter and seal hunter and a rancher. His wife's maiden name was Clarinda L. Wilson, born in Coos Co., March 16, 1870, and their children are: James Wilson, b. March 15, 1890 and Charles Hampton b. July 28, 1891.
CROOK, Asa H., was born in Whiteside Co., Ill., Dec. 12, 1836, and came to Curry Co., Or., in 1858, and settled on Pistol river. His wife's maiden name was Ellen Lockwood, born in Moline, Rock Island Co., Ill., Sept. 13, 1845, married Dec. 12, 1861 , and they have five children. He follows stockraising and dairying.
CROOK, Theron W., was born in Erie Co., N.Y., Mar. 8, 1816, and came to Oregon in the fall of 1852, and in 1865 came to Curry Co., and settled on Pistol River, then moved to Port Oxford and lived ten years, but the last four years he has resided on Pistol River. His wife's maiden name was Nancy Hamilton, born in Mass., Jan. 8, 1816. They are the parents of eight children, five boys and three girls. Their names are Asa W., Edwin, Edward, George, Adam, Mary (the last three are dead), Ellen and Lucy.
CROOK, Theron W., was born in Del Norte, Cal., Dec. 4, 1862, and has lived in Curry Co. for thirty-four years. He settled on Pistol river and still resides there. He is a rancher.
CROOK, William H., was born in Curry Co., Or., May 4, 1867, and resides on Pistol river. His wife's maiden name was Julia M. Moore, born on Smith river, California, in September, 1879, married March 1, 1896, and they have two children. He owns some fine land.
CUNNIFF, Dennis, Sr. was born in Ireland, Mar. 16, 1828, and came to Curry Co., Or., in 1857, and settled at Gold Beach. His wife's maiden name was Margaret McAffery, born in Ire., Oct. 27, 1819, married in 1856, and they have three children. He owns some good land.
CUNNIFF, Dennis, Jr., was born in Gold Beach, Curry Co., Or., Nov. 19, 1857, and follows stockraising.

D

DART, George, was born in Pennsylvania April 2, 1820, and came to Curry County in 1854. His wife's maiden name was Anna C. Tichenor, married at Port Orford in 1855, and their children are Elizabeth, Mar. 6, 1858; William, Feb. 2, 1860; Harry G., in 1868.

Also see Sarah Ellen Tichenor
McGraw
DEMENT, Samuel Maxwell. b. Ohio 1823. Married Caroline Spencer; three children, including Russell C. Married second Luisa Lovett 1866, Children: W. Taylor, George, Clay, Caroline, Max. To Coos 1853. A blacksmith. First settled at Empire; then on donation claim on upper South Coquille; became a leading Coos cattleman. His original ranch in the Eckley area, now enlarged to about 4,000 acres of range, is still in the family.
DEMENT, William Taylor, was born in Coos Co., at Cliff ranch, and has lived on the South Fork of the Coquille ever since. His occupation is farming and stock raising. His wife's maiden name was Nellie Figg, born in Coos Co., Oct. 10, 1870, married Dec. 29, 1897.
DIVILBISS, Daniel, was born in Franklin Co., Penn., Oct. 16, 1833, and came to Curry Co., in 1878, and settled at Gold Beach. His wife's maiden name was Mary Ann Sowers, born in Caswal Co., Ill, in March, 1838, married Mar. 11, 1857, and their children are George G., born Sept. 28, 1858; Emma R., Feb. 25, 1861; Caleb N., August 12, 1863; Mary E., Feb 11, 1866; Ernest H., Jan. 30, 1873; Edward H., Sept. 13, 1876. He is a farmer and was in the civil war.
DIXON , Mrs. F.G., [Fannie] (widow of W.L. Dixon, merchant of Myrtle Point, deceased April 6, 1896) was born on South Coquille, Coos Co., Or., Dec 5, 1860, and has lived at Myrtle Point all her life. Her maiden name was Fannie G. Lehnherr. Her children are Maxwell M., born June 28, 1881, Myrl M., Jan. 31, 1883; Christian F., Dec 19, 1884.

E

ENGLEMAN, John C. Jr., was born in Jackson Co., Or., Mar. 26, 1862, and came to Curry Co., June 6, 1891, and settled on Rogue river. He follows ranching and stockraising.
EPPERSON, John C., was born in Monroe Co., Iowa., Dec. 14,1848 and arrived in Oregon in Sept, 1868, then came to Coos Co. in September, 1869. He first settled on Catching slough. In 1878 he moved to Douglas Co., then to Eastern Washington, then to Puget sound, then to Coos Co. in 1883 and has resided there since. His wife's maiden name was Mary D. Winningham, born in Clackamas Co., Or., Nov. 14, 1863. Their children are Rolen C., age 14; Charles E., 12; Cora K., 10; Meda M., 9; John P., 8; Sallie A., 5; Alton R., 4. He is a farmer.
EPPERSON, M.A., was born in Nov. 24, 1840, and came to Oregon in December, 1864, and settled on Kitchen Slough in September 1868. He is engaged in the logging business and now owns a fine place of 300 acres on Cherry Creek.
ERIKSON, Axel G., was born in Mendocino Co., Cal., Sept. 24, 1870, and came to Coos Co., Feb. 15, 1876, and settled at Parkersburg, but moved to Bandon in 1877. He is a logger and fisherman, but for some years has been employed in the government works at the mouth of the Coquille river.
EVERNDEN, T.S., was born in Rochester, N.Y., Nov. 11, 1851, and arrived in Oregon May 25, 1872. He came to Coos county September 27, 1873. He first settled on Rock Creek [near Bridge, Oregon] and has lived there ever since. His wife's maiden name was Susie J. Appleton, born in Douglas Co., Or., May 26, 1857. Their children's names are Thomas J., born July 1, 1874; Ernest E., Dec. 19, 1875; Fred A., Jan. 26, 1878; Chas. A., March 1880; Zorilla M., and Emma M., twins, June 18, 1882; Lessie Lloyd and Jessie Floyd, twins, Aug. 13, 1884; Susie D.V., born Mar. 2, 1888; Joseph Pearl, Nov. 24, 1889.

F

FORGY, William A., was born in Knox Co., Tenn. Jan. 5, 1821, and came to Oregon in the fall of 1874. In the fall of 1875 he settled in Curry Co. on what is known as the old Preston ranch on Pistol River. He engaged in stock raising until 1894, when he sold out and since then has lived with his children. He is an old soldier, having fought during the Indian wars. His wife's maiden name was Hannah Michael, born in Ind. Apr. 5, 1830, and their children's names are Mary E., born July 14, 1847; Sarah J., born Oct. 6, 1848; Anna E., born March 8, 1851; Alexander W., born Dec. 29, 1853; May E., born July 27, 1856; Margaret M., born Feb. 21, 1859; Rebecca A., born Nov. 10, 1862; Martha S., born June 5, 1865; Ruth E., born March 4, 1870; and Ruby M., born Sept. 22, 1875.
FOX, William P., was born in Mayo Co., Ireland, June 17, 1838, and arrived in Coos County, Oregon, Jan.4, 1869, and first settled at Eastport. His wife's maiden name was Mary Ann McKenna, born in Durham, England, Dec. 17, 1845, married Mar. 17, 1864. and their children are Margaret, born Aug. 17, 1866; Sarah, Oct. 2, 1868; John F., July 6, 1872; Mary Ann, June 15, 1874; Kate, Mar. 22, 1876; Agnes, June 8, 1878; Thomas J., May 24, 1881.
FRANZ, J.C., was born in Johnson Co., Iowa, Sept 30, 1859, and came to Coos Co. in April, 1883. He first settled in Marshfield, and after living there seven years he moved to Coquille City, and has lived there since. He is an engineer by trade. His wife's maiden name was Dora Callier [sic; Collier], and their children's names are Oscar, age 9 years, Lennie, age 7; and Gladys, age 5.
FULLER, Franklin F., was born in Michigan, May 22, 1840, and came to Oregon in the fall of 1882, and settled at Port Orford, but in 1883 he came to Coos Co., and settled on the Coos river, where he is engaged in lumbering and farming. His wife's maiden name was Phebe Michelbrink, born in Illinois March 28, 1850, and married Sept. 4, 1893.

G

GAGE, William W., was born in Dallas, Polk Co., and came to Coos Co., April 28, 1888, and bought and settled on the ranch of A.B. Camp, situated on the west branch of the North Fork of Coos river, where he lived until he was elected sheriff of the county in 1894, and since them he has resided at the county seat [Coquille]. His wife's maiden name was Lorena A. Kent, and their children's names are Clyde A., Clara A., Nannie, William A., Virgie, Vivian A., Lee A., Gladys and Bonnie A.
GANT, Levi, was born in Randolph Co., Ill., Feb. 22, 1827, and came to Oregon in 1848. He settled in Coos Co., and has lived on his ranch, about one mile from Myrtle Point. His wife's maiden name was Sarah A. Stillwell (deceased).
GARDNER, Johnson, was born in Indiana, June 15, 1830, and came to Curry Co. in July, 1877, and located on Chetco river. His wife's maiden name was Esther A. Tolman, born in Augusta, Me., May 21, 1836, married July 21, 1857, and they have eight children. Has a good farm.
GOOD, Edward, was born in Ohio in 1841, and came to Curry Co. in 1875, and settled near Denmark. He was in the war and follows farming.

H

HAINES, J.A. See the full biographical sketch here
HALL, Charles G., was born in Nado Co., Maine, Dec. 7, 1852, and came to Coos Co., Jan. 14, 1890, and settled at Fishtrap and has lived on the Coquille river ever since. By occupation he is a farmer, miller and logger. His wife's maiden name was Belle [Isabelle] Rowan, and they have one child, Bertha E., age four years.
HALL, William S.,was born in Christian Co., Mo., Dec. 2, 1847, and in the fall of 1855, at the age of 8 years, his father emigrated to Kansas, and settled in Bourbon Co., and was there during the civil war and in the spring of 1871, then emigrated to Oregon and stopped a short time in Douglas county near Roseburg. Then in June, same year, in company with his uncle, K.K. Caldwell, and others came to Coos Co., and located on the North Fork of the Coquille river, near Gravel Ford, five miles northeast of Myrtle Point, and in Jan. 7, 1877, married Miss Martha M. Lamb, who was born in Dent Co., Mo., Sept. 24, 1859 [sic; 1858]. She emigrated to Oregon from Mo., in the spring of 1873. Mr. Hall has succeeded in clearing up and otherwise improving a nice farm.

A second biography states:
Hall, William S., was born in Christian Co., Mo., Dec. 2, 1847, and came to Coos Co., in June, 1871, and settled on the North Fork of the Coquille river on a farm. His wife's maiden name was Martha M.
Lamb, born in Dent Co., Mo., Sept. 24, 1858 and their children are Anna C., born June 27, 1880; Lulu C., March 10, 1881; James E., April 29, 1884; Mara I., July 11, 1886; Thomas A., Aug. 19, 1888; Amanda J., Nov. 1, 1891.
HARRIS, Capt. W.H. [William H.], was born in Howood Co., Missouri, in 1823, and in 1825 he, in company with his parents, moved west and settled in Tennessee, where they remained until 1834, when they went to Mississippi, where is boyhood days were spent. Here he lived until the first call was made for volunteers in the Mexican war. Captain Harris served as First Lieutenant of a company under General Taylor's command until the close of the war in 1848. A charter and dispensation having been ordered in Mississippi and Louisiana to organize a lodge of A.F. and A.M., in Mexico, among the soldiers. Lieutenant Harris was made a mason on the battle field of Buena Vista, in an old adobe building, fitted up for the purpose. He was a member of the Willamette Lodge No. 2, at Portland, and became a charter member of the three lodges in Coos Co. After peace was restored with Mexico, news came of the discovery of gold in California, and Capt. Harris came West by sailing from the isthmus to San Francisco in May, 1849. He worked for a time in California, but in 1850, in company with a number of others, he came up to Portland, and was there at the first election held in that place. Portland was only known as being a small store twelve miles below Oregon City. They were then logging First street, and hauling logs to S. Coffin's mill. Rough lumber was then selling at $100 per M. He came to Coos Bay in the Marple company. In April, 1859, he purchased and entered a homestead on the South Fork of the Coquille river, where he has improved a farm second to none in Coos Co. His son-in-law, T.C. Noris [sic; Norris] Jr., operates the place. Mr. Harris now enjoys a home with his daughters in Myrtle Point. In 1858 Capt. Harris was married to Margaret Romanes at Empire City, and in the spring of 1859 they moved to the Coquille valley. Mrs. Harris died in June, 1877. There are three children, Mary G., Elizabeth, widow of J.A. Lehnherr, and Christina, wife of T.C. Norris.
HARMAN, Leason L., was born in North Carolina, in October, 1849, and came to Oregon in June, 1872. Arrived in Curry County in November, 1873, and finally settled on the North Fork of the Coquille river, and has lived there since. He is an old school teacher, but now tends to his ranch. His wife's maiden name was Hester H. Mast, born in N.C. Nov. 29, 1852, and their children's names are Cora M., born Mar. 4, 1871; Sarah E., born Feb. 1, 1873; William H., born Mar. 9, 1875; Charles W., born July 22, 1877; Wade H., born March 14, 1880; Ruby C., born Aug. 16, 1881.
HAYTER, Washington L., was born in Howard Co., Mo. March 12, 1825, and arrived in Polk Co., Or. In September 1854, and came to Coos Co, in September 1865. He first settled on Fishtrap, then moved to the Gruber place in 1866 and then in 1897 he moved near Arago, where he now resides. His wife’s maiden name was Sarah C. Crowley, born in Holt Co., Mo. Oct 20, 1840. His children are Thedicia E., age 40; Richard M., 39; Sarah E., 37; Melvin, 36; James T., 34;William R., 33; Robert E. L., 31; Priscilla A., 29; Cora and Ella, twins, 27; Edith, 25; Lillie M., 23; Wilber O., 19; Chas. A., 17; Andrew J., 14.
HERMANN, C.M. [Cass Mazzeny], was born in Maryland Jan. 28, 1851, and came to Coos Co., Or., May 20, 1859, and settled on the South Fork of the Coquille River and has lived there ever since. His wife's maiden name was Mary C. Adams, born in Lane Co., Or., July 15, 1857. Their children are Bertha G., December 6, 1875; Custer M. (deceased) February 26, 1878; Neta M., April 11, 1880; Harry U., Sept. 1, 1882; Clara T., Sept. 2, 1886; Lora L., Feb. 11, 1888; Herbert W., Aug. 28, 1890; Ana A., Sept. 1893; Cassa, Oct. 3, 1896. He is engaged in stock raising and also learned the butcher trade, which he engaged in for five years.
HINCH, A. settled at what was known as the 14-mile house on the Randolph trail. He has resided at various places in Coos Co., and is at present engaged in mining.
HIRST, Thomas. See the full biographical sketch here.
HODSONByron P., was born in Marion Co., Iowa, Feb. 26, 1868, and came to Coos Co. in 1860, and settled at Empire City, but now resides on Ross slough, and is engaged in farming and logging. His wife's maiden name was Kate L. Perry, born near Norway, Coos Co., and they have three children, Chas. L., Ramond P., and Clyde V.
HOWEY, John B., was born in Posey Co., Indiana, and arrived in Curry Co., Or., in June, 1870. He owns some fine land.
HULING, D.A., was born in Bainbridge, Ross Co., Ohio, Oct. 27, 1841 and came to Oregon Sept. 15, 1888. In August, 1890, he came to Myrtle Point, and engaged in the hardware business with R.W. Lundy. His wife's maiden name was Mary E. McAffee, and their children's names are Mattie and C.E.
HUNTLEY, Jerry [Jeremiah]. Mentioned in the biography of Jacob F. Prewett and William Huntley below.
HUNTLEY, William was born in Henry County, Mo., Oct 8, 1846, and came to Oregon the fall of 1847. His wife's maiden name was Mary E. WHOBRAY [sic; Whobrey] born March 17, 1861, married March 7, 1874. Their children are Laura D., born Feb 20, 1875; Alva, March 14, 1876; Volney, March 28, 1878; Edward, May 15, 1880; Jeremiah, Aug. 12, 1882; Nettie P., Aug 20, 1890; Lennie K., July 3, 1893; Sarah, Oct 5, 1897. Mr. Huntley has followed mining most of the time since he has been in the county. Mr. Jerry Huntley, the father of the subject of this sketch started from Independence, Mo. May, 1847, to come to Oregon, and arrived in October the same year and settled in what is now Marion County, eighteen miles south of where Salem now stands, built a grist mill, but became dissatisfied and sold out and went to California May 1, 1849. He followed mining for about two years and then returned to Oregon and settled near Roseburg.

I

ISMERT, Henry, was born in Colo., June 19, 1873, and came to Curry Co. in 1887, and settled on Pistol river. He is a stock raiser and farmer. His wife's maiden name was Vera L. Clark, born in California, March 13, 1878, and married Nov. 17, 1897.

J

JENKINS, Edward M., was born in Grand Ronde, Union Co., Or., Dec. 3, 1863, and came to Coos Co. in 1865. His wife's maiden name was Eva Rookard, born in Sonoma Co., Cal., July 23, 1872, married Dec. 20, 1895. Mr. Jenkins is a very successful teacher.

K

KAMBERG, Emiel A., was born in Chicago, Ill, Aug. 11, 1870, and came to Curry Co., Or., Aug. 5, 1877. His wife's maiden name was Alice N. Cooley , born in Curry Co., April 18, 1872, married Sept. 22, 1884, and they have two children. He owns some valuable land.
KNOWLTON, R.S., was born in Memphis, Tenn., Feb. 5, 1855, and came to Coos Co., May 11, 1888, and settled at Empire City, then moved to Coquille where he now has drug and stationary store. His wife's maiden name was Annie Hayter, born at Arago, Aug. 30, 1867, and their children's names are Owen H., aged 5, R. Clay, aged 3, and Naomi, aged 1.
KRANTZ, William L., was born in Newton Co., Mo., Feb. 7, 1870; and came to Coos Co., Or., July 16, 1872, and settled on the East Fork of the Coquille. His wife's maiden name was Fannie G. Barklow, born in Coos Co., Nov. 18, 1897 [sic; 1878], and they have one child, Harry S., born May 16, 1897. He is a farmer.

L

LANGLOIS, William V., was born on the island of Guernsey, England, and came to Curry Co., Or., in 1854, and settled on Floras Creek. His wife's maiden name was Mary A. King, and their children are James S., 50; Frank M., 48; John N., 46; Thos., 44; Chas. E., 42, Ella J., 36; Mary A., 33. Mr. Langlois followed the sea for fourteen years and then went to the gold mines in California. He made about $3,000. Has seen some of the frontier hardships.
LAWRENCE, George, was born in Washington Co., Arkansas, March 19, 1830, and came to Oregon in November, 1852. He arrived in Curry Co. in December, 1860, and settled two miles north of Wedderburn, and in 1865 he settled on Pistol river and still resides there. He is a stock raiser. He is an old Indian war veteran, having served during the Rogue river war in 1855-6. His wife's maiden name was Ruth Ann McVay, born in Mo., June 22, 1840. Their children's names are James N., Elias H., Hiram E., Samuel N., Ella S., Mina J., Anna S., Lee M., George W., Allen A., Nettie E., and Edw. J., James, Elias, Hiram, Samuel and Nettie are dead.
LEE, Alva was born at Looking Glass [Lookingglass], Douglas County, Or. Jan 19, 1859, and came to Coos Co. in September, 1874, and settled on the North Fork of the Coquille River and moved to Bandon, Oct. 15, 1896. He has been master of several steamers, and he is a successful navigator.
LEHNHERR, Christian [Note: this record for Christian Lehnherr is incomplete. It refers to his son-in-law, James C. Brown and his wife, Mary Catherine Lehnherr. From other records, it is shown that Christian Lehnherr was born December 25, 1816 in Switzerland.]
LEWELLEN , Harvey, was born in Tribble Co. [sic; Preble Co.], Ohio, Feb. 11, 1823, and arrived in Coos Co. June 9, 1875, and settled on the North Fork of the Coquille river, two miles from Myrtle Point. His wife's maiden name was Elizabeth Casteel, born in Ohio. They were married in Indiana Oct. 15, 1847. The fruits of the union was four boys and four girls, two of the former are dead. The large family have settled in and about Myrtle Point, and become with their father, leading members of society.
LUNDY, R.W. was born in Sycamore, Ohio, in 1844, and came to Oregon in November, 1890, and settled at Myrtle Point, and engaged in the hardware business with D.A. Huling. His wife's maiden name was Mary J. Emerson. Their children's names are Eva E., wife of E.B. Lane, Mabel E., wife of W.R. Briescbach, both of whom reside in San Francisco; and William E., now in Alaska.

To Biographical Appendix M - Z

Back to 1898 History

All data on this website is © Copyright 2007-present by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.