Welcome to Pennsylvania Genealogy Trails!
The History of Armstrong County, Pennsylvania

Transcribed by Nancy Piper for Genealogy Trails

Taken From the Biographical and historical Encyclopedia of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, Pennsylvania.
Philadelphia. J.M. Gresham & Co., managed by S.T. Wiley. 1891.

Geographical and Historical Sketch of Armstrong County

Page 299-311

Geographical sketch of Armstrong County - Indians -  Col. John Armstrong's Expedition - Battle of Kittanning -  Blanket Hill - Brady's Fight - Early Settlers - Senators and Assemblyman from Armstrong County -CIVIL ROSTER FROM 1805-1880 - taxables of Kittaning township in 1807 - Tax List of the Town of Kittaning for 1807 - List of taxables in Toby township in 1807

Armstrong County, Pennsylvania, lies between the seventy-ninth and eightieth meridians of west longitude and the fortieth and forty-second parallels of north latitude. It is an irregular pentagon in shape and contains six hundred and twenty-five square miles of territory, which is divided into twenty-four townships. Armstrong county is bounded on the north by Clarion count; on the east by Jefferson and Indiana counties; on the south by Westmoreland county and on the west by Butler county.

The Kiskiminetas river is its southern boundary from Indiana county to the Allegheny river - 15 miles in a straight line; whence to Butler county, two miles more, the Allegheny river is the boundary. The western boundary line is a straight line running due north from where it crosses Buffalo creek at Freeport, to where it intersects the Allegheny river near Foxburg, a distance of 33 ¾ miles. The northern boundary line follows the Allegheny river from Butler county to the mouth of Red Bank creek, 14 ½ miles in a direct line, but nearly double that distance as the stream runs; thence up Red Bank creek to Jefferson county - 18 miles. The east boundary line runs due south from Jefferson county 18 miles to the top of the divide overlooking the north fork of Plum creek; whence to the Kiskiminetas river, 20 ½ miles.

Armstrong county was a part of the following counties for the respective times specified:

Chester, from 1682 to May 10, 1729

Lancaster, May 10, 1729 to Jan. 27, 1750

Cumberland, Jan. 27, 1750 to March 9, 1771

Bedford, March 9, 1771, to Sept. 26, 1773

From 1773 to 1800 its territory was parts of the counties which are named on page 307 of this work.

Indians

The Delaware and Shawanee tribes settled on the Allegheny river as early as 1719. Their principal town or village was Kittanning, from which war parties went forth to harass the white settlers east of the Alleghenies, but it is unnecessary to speak further of this town, as a full description of it will be found in the account of Gen. Armstrong's expedition.

The Delawares and Shwanees were tenants at will of the Six Nations (see page 23) and had a few villages in the county which will be noticed in the history of the townships. They had one great trail or war path which ran from the forks of the Ohio up the Allegheny river and passed into New York. This path was sometimes called the "Warrior's Road." An eastern trail was the noted "Kittanning Path", which run from Kittaning to Huntingon. There were many branch paths of which today all trace seems to be lost.

Lieut. Col. John Armstrong's Expedition

After examining several accounts of this campaign we have found R. M. Smith's description to be the most accurate and give it below in full:

"Eight companies of soldiers, constituting the second battalion of the Pennsylvania regiment, under the command of Lieut. Col. John Armstrong, were stationed at the forts on the west side of the Susquhanna. For the purpose of carrying out the expedition against Kittanning, planned as above stated, Col Armstrong, with a part of the force assigned to him, consisting of three hundred and seven men, marched upon Fort Shirley, Monday, September 3, 1756, and joined his advanced party at Beaver Dam, near Frankstown, which they left on the 4th and advanced to within fifty miles of Kittanning on the 6th, whence an officer, one of the pilots, and two soldiers were sent forward to connoiter the town. The men returned on the 7th and informed Col. Armstrong that the roads were entirely clear of enemy, but it appeared from what else they said that they had not approached near enough to the town to learn its situation, the number of persons in it or how it might be most advantageously attacked. "

"The march was continued on the 8th with the intention of advancing as near as possible to the town that night. A halt was, however, made about nine or ten o'clock on account of information received from one of the guides that he had seen a fire by the roadside a few perches from the front, at which were two or three Indians. The pilot returned again in a short time and reported that from the best observations he could make there were not more than three or four Indians at the fire. It was determined not to surround and cut them off immediately, lest, if only one should escape, he might communicate their presence to his people in the town, and thus their well-laid plan of attack would be, in a measure at least, frustrated. Lieut. James Hogg, of Capt. Armstrong's company, with twelve men and the pilot who first discovered the fire, was ordered to remain, watch the enemy until the break of day, on the 9th, and then cut them off if possible at that point, which was about six miles from Kittaning."

"The tired horses, the blankets and other baggage were left there, and the rest of the force took a circuit off the road, so as not to be heard by the Indians at the fire, which route they found to be stony. That condition of the route and the fallen trees along the way greatly retarded their march. Still greater delay was caused by the ignorance of the pilots, who, it seems, knew neither the real situation of the town nor the paths leading to it."

"After crossing hills and valleys, the front reached the Allegheney river shortly before the setting of the moon on the morning of the 9th, about a hundred rods below the main body of the town, or about that distance below Market street, at or near the present site of the poorhouse, on lot number 241, in modern Kittanning. They were guided thither by the beating of the drum and the whooping of the Indians at their dances, rather than by the pilots. It was necessary for them to make the best possible use of the remaining moonlight, but in this they were interrupted for a few moments by the sudden and singular whistling of an Indian, about thirty feet to the front, at the foot of a cornfield, which was a first thought by Col. Armstrong to be a signal of their approach to the rest of the Indians. He was informed by a soldier by the name of Baker that it was the way a young Indian called his squaw after the dance. Silence was passed to the rear and they lay quietly until after the going down of the moon. A number of fires soon flashed up in various parts of the cornfield, which, Baker said, were kindled to keep off the gnats, and would soon go out. As the weather was warm that night, the Indians slept by the fires in the cornfield."

"Three companies of Col. Armstrong's force had not, at daybreak on the 9th, passed over the last precipice. Their march of thirty miles had wearied them and most of them were asleep. Proper persons were dispatched to rouse them; a suitable number, under several officers, were ordered to take the end of the hill at which they then lay, and to march along to the top of it at least one hundred perches, and so much farther as would carry them opposite the upper part, or at least the body of the town. Col. Armstrong, presuming that the Indian warriors were at the lower end of that hill, kept the larger portion of his men there, promising to postpone the attack eighteen or twenty minutes, until the detachemtn along the hill should have time to advance to the point to which they had been ordered. They were somewhat unfortunate in making that advance. The time having elapsed, a simultaneous attack was made as expeditiously as possible, through and upon every part of the cornfield. A party was dispatched to the houses, when Capt. Jacobs and several other Indians, as the English prisoners afterward stated, shouted the war-whoop and yelled: "The white men are come at last and we will have scalps enough" at the same time ordering their squaws and children to fee to the woods."


Battle of Kittanning

"Col. Armstrong's men rushed through and fired into the cornfield, where they received several returns from the Indians in the field and from the opposite side of the river. A brisk fire commenced soon after among the houses, which was very resolutely returned from the house of Capt. Jacobs, which was situated on the north side of Market, a short distance above McKean street, on Jacob's Hill, in the rear of the site at the northern end of the stone wall in the garden, on which Dr. John Gilpia built in 1834-35, that large two-story brick mansion now owned and occupied by Alexander Reynolds. Thither Col. Armstrong repaired and found that several of his men had been wounded, and some had been killed from the port-holes of that house and other advantages which it afforded to the Indians within it. As the returning fire upon that houses proved ineffectual, he ordered the adjoining house to be fired, which was quickly done, the Indians seldom failing to wound or kill some of their assailants when they presented themselves. Col. Armstrong, while moving about, and giving the necessary orders, received a bullet-wound in his shoulder from Capt. Jacob's house. It is stated in "Robinson's Narrative" that Col. Armstrong said: "Are there none of you that will set fire to these rescals that have wounded me and killed so many of us?" John Ferguson, a soldier, swore he would. He went to a house covered with bark and took a strip of it which had fire on it, and rushed up to the cover of Jacob's house and held it there it it had burned about a yard square. Then he ran and the Indians fired at him. The smoke blew about his legs and the shots missed him. That house contained the magazine, which for a time caused it to be observed, to see whether the Indians, knowing their peril, would escape from it. They, as we say now-a-days, "held the fort" until the guns were discharged by the approaching fire."

"Several persons were ordered during the action to tell the Indians to surrender themselves prisoners. On being thus told, one of them replied: "I am a man and I will not be a prisoner." Being told in his own language, that he would be burned, he said: "I don't care, for I will kill four or five before I die." Had not Col. Armstrong and his men desisted from exposing themselves, the Indians, who had a number of loaded guns, would have killed many more of them. As the fire approached and the smoke thickened, one of the Indians evinced his manhood by singing. A squaw being heard to cry was severely rebuked by the Indians. But after awhile, the fire having become too hot for them, two Indians and a squaw sprang out of the house and started for the cornfield, but were immediately shot of some of their foemen. It was thought that Capt. Jacobs tumbled out of the garret or cockloft window when the houses were surrounded. The English prisoners who were recaptured offered to be qualified that the powder-horn and pouch taken from him were the very ones which Capt. Jacobs had obtained from a French officer in exchange for Lieut. Armstrong's boots, which he had brought from Fort Greenville, where the lieutenant was killed. Those prisoners said they were perfectly assured of Capt. Jacob's scalp, because no other Indians there wore their hair in the same manner, and that they knew his squaw's scalp by a particular bob, and the scalp of a young Indian, called the king's son."

"The report of the explosion of the magazine under Capt. Jacob's house, says Patterson's "History of the Backwoods", was heard at Fort Du Quesne, whereupon some French and Indians, fearing an attack had been made on the town (Kittanning), instantly started up the river, but did not reach the place until the day after the explosion and battle, when the troops had been withdrawn. They found among the ruins the bodies of Capt. Jacobs, his squaw and his son."

"Capt. Hugh Mercer, who was wounded in the arm early in the action, had been, before the attack on Capt. Jacob's house, taken to the top of the hill above the town, where several of the officers and a number of the men had gathered. From that position they discovered some Indians crossing the river and taking to the hill, with the intention, as they thought, to surround Col. Armstrong and his force, and cut them off from their retreat. The colonel received several very pressing requests to leave the house and retreat to the hill, lest all should be cut off, which he would not consent to do until all the houses were fired. Although the spreading out of that part of the force on the hill appeared to be necessary, it nevertheless prevented an examination of the cornfield and river side. Thus some scalps, and probably some squaws, children and English prisoners were left behind, that might have otherwise been secured".

"Nearly thirty houses were fired, and while they were burning, the ears of Col. Armstrong and his men were regaled by the successive discharges of loaded guns, and still more so by the explosion of sundry bags and large kegs of powder stored away in every house. The English prisoners, after their recapture, said that the Indians often told them that they had ammunition enough to war ten years with the English. The leg and thigh of an Indain and child three years old were thrown, when the powder exploded, with the roof of Capt. Jacobs' house, so high that they appeared as nothing and fell into an adjacent cornfield. A large quantity of goods which the Indians had received from the French ten days before was burned."

"Col. Armstrong then went to the hill to have his wound tied up and the blood stopped. Then the English prisoners, who had come to his men in the morning, informed him that on that very day two bateaux of Frenchmen, with Delaware and French Indians, were to join Capt. Jacobs at Kittanning, and to set out early the next morning to take Fort Shirley, and that twenty-four warriors who had lately arrived were sent before them the previous evening, whether to prepare meat, spy the fort, or make an attack on the frontier settlements, these prisoners did not know."

"Col. Armstrong and others were convinced, on reflection, that those twenty-four warriors were all at the fire the night before, and began to fear the fate of Lieut. Hogg and his party. They, therefore, deemed it imprudent to wait to cut down the corn, as they had designed. So they immediately collected their wounded and forced their way back as well as they could, by using a few Indian horses. It was difficult to keep the men together on the march, because of their fears of being waylaid and surrounded, which were increased by a few Indian firing, for awhile after the march began, on each wing, and then running off whereby one man was shot through the legs. For several miles the march did not exceed two miles an hour".

Blanket Hill

"On the return of Col. Armstrong and his force to the place where the Indian fire had been discovered the night before, they met a sergeant of Capt. Mercer's company and two or three others of his men who had deserted that morning immediately after the action at Kittaning, who, in running away, had met Lieut. Hogg, lying by the roadside, wounded in two parts of his body, who then told them of the fatal mistake which had been made by the pilot in assuring them that there were only three Indians at the fireplace the previous night, and that when he and his men attached the Indians that morning, according to orders, he found their number considerably superior to his own. He also said that he believed he had killed or mortally wounded three of the Indians at the first fire; that the rest fled, and he was obliged to conceal himself in a thicket, where he might have lain safely if "that cowardly sergeant and his co-deserters," as Col. Armstrong stigmatizes them in his report, had not removed him. When they had marched a short distance, four Indians appeared and those deserters fled. Lieut. Hogg, notwithstanding his wounds, with the true heroism of a brave soldier, was still urging and commanding those about him to stand and fight, but they all refused. The Indians then pursued, killed one man and inflicted a third wound upon the gallant lieutenant - in his belly, from which he died in a few hours, having ridden on horseback seven miles from the place of action. That sergeant also represented to Col. Armstrong that there was a much larger number of Indians than had appeared to them to be; that they fought five rounds; that he has seen Lieut. Hogg and several others killed and scalped; that he had discovered a number of Indians throwing themselves before Col. Armstrong and his force, which, with other such stuff, caused confusion in the colonel's ranks, so that the officers had difficulty in keeping the men together, and could not prevail on them to collect the horses and baggage which the Indians had left, except a few of the horses, which some of the bravest of the men were persuaded to secure".

"From the mistake of the pilot in underrating the number of Indians at the fire the night before, and the cowardice of that sergeant and the other deserters, Col. Armstrong and his command met with a considerable loss of their horses and baggage, which had been left, as before stated, with Lieut. Hogg and his detachment when the main force had made their detour to Kittanning."

"Many blankets were afterward found on the ground where Lieut. Hogg and his small force were defeated by the superior number - about double - of their Indian foes. Hence that battle-field has ever since borne the name of "Blanket Hill". It is on the farm of Philip Dunmire, in Kittanning township, to the right, going eats, of the turnpike road from Kittaning to Elderton and Indiana, about four hundred and seventy-five rods, a little east of south from the present site of the Blanket Hill postoffice, and two hundred and seventy-five rods west of Plum creek township line."

"Various other relics of that fight have been found from time to time, among which a straight sword with the initials "J H" on it, which is owned by James Stewart, of Kittanning borough, was on exhibition with other relics at the Centennial exposition, Philadelphia."

"It was impossible for Col. Armstrong to ascertain the exact number of the enemy killed in the action at Kittanning, since some were burned in the conflagration of the houses and others fell in different parts of the cornfield; as Indians were seen crawling from several parts thereof into the woods, whom the soldiers, in their pursuit of others, passed by, expecting afterward to find and scalp them, and as several others were killed and wounded while crossing the river."

"When the victors commenced their return march they had about a dozen scalps and eleven English prisoners. Part of the scalps were lost on the road, and some of them and four of the prisoners were in the custody of Capt. Mercer, who had separated from the main body, so that on the arrival of the main body at Fort Littleton, Sabbath night, September 14, 1756, Col. Armstrong could report to Governor Denny only seven of the re-captured prisoners and a part of the scalps."


Brady's Fight

In 1780, Capt. Samuel Brady, with five men and his pet Indian, intercepted, at the mouth of the Big Mahoning creek, a war party of Indians who were returning from a murdering and plundering expedition in the Sewickley Creek region of Westmoreland county. He surprised the Indians in their camp at break of day and killed five of them besides securing all of their plunder and a valuable horse which they had stolen.

Early Settlers

The early settlers were chiefly of Scotch-Irish and German descent. The former came from Westmoreland county and the Cumberland Valley, while the latter were mainly from Lehigh and Northampton counties. One of the pioneer settlers was Capt. Andrew Sharp, who died from wounds received in a fight with Indians, which will be described in the history of Plum Creek township. In the histories of the townships will be given the few names of all the pioneers which we have been enabled to secure, although it is fair to presume that a respectable number of those residents given in the assessment lists of 1807 were pioneer settlers.

Armstrong county was formed out of parts of Allegheny, Westmoreland and Lycoming counties by act of March 12, 1800. All that portion west of the Allegheny river was taken from Allegheny county; all that portion on the east side of that river, between the Kiskiminetas river and the then northern boundary of Westmoreland county, viz., a line due west from the purchase line at the head of the Susquehanna, striking the Allegheny river a short distance below the mouth of Cowanshannock creek, was taken from Westmoreland county, eat of the Allegheny river and Clarion river was taken from Lycoming county which had been formed out of Northumberland county by act of April 13, 1795.

The original boundaries of Armstrong county were "Beginning on the Allegheny river, at the mouth of Buffalo creek, the corner of Butler county.", which was also erected by act of March 12, 1800; "thence northerly along the line of said county of Butler to where the northeast corner of the said county of Butler shall strike the Allegheny river; thence from the said corner, on a line at a right angle from the first line of the county of Butler, until the said line shall strike the Allegheny river; thence by the margin of said river to the mouth of Toby's creek (Clarion river), thence crossing the river and up said creek to the line dividing Wood's and Hamilton's districts: thence southerly along said line to the present line of Westmoreland county; thence down the Kiskiminetas river to the mouth thereof on the Allegheny river; thence across the said river to the westwardly margin thereof; thence down the said river to the mouth of Buffalo creek, the place of beginning."

By act of March 11, 1839, that part east of the Allegheny river and between Red Bank creek and the Clarion river was detached from Armstrong and annexed to Clarion county. Thus it appears that the territory of Armstrong county has been successively included in the counties of Chester, Lancaster, Cumberland and Bedford wholly, and in Northumberland, Westmoreland, Allegheny and Lycoming, partly.

While the above is correct in regard to the legislative acts erecting the different counties names, yet the Legislature prohibited settlements in that part of the county south of a straight line from Kittanning to the Indiana county line (Purchase Line) and east of the Allegheny river, until the purchase of 1768, and the remainder of the county until the succeeding purchase from the Indians, of 1784.

Senators and Assemblyman from Armstrong County

We endeavored to compile a list of senators and assemblymen from Armstrong county, from 1860-1890, from "Smull's Legislative Handbook". We found several errors in names and dates, and were compelled to drop the list for want of time to correct it.

We give the county roster as found in Smith's history of the county.

CIVIL ROSTER FROM 1805-1880

State Senators - Robert Orr Jr., 1822-25; Eben Smith Kelley 1825-29 (died in the discharge of his duties at Harrisburg, Saturday, March 18, 1829); Philip Mechling, 1830-34; William F. Johnston, 1847, until he was inaugurated Governor in January, 1849; Johnathan E. Meredith, 1859-62

Members of Assembly - James Sloan, 1808-09; Samuel Houston, 1817-18-19; Robert Orr Jr., 1818-19-20-21; James Douglass, 1834-5-6; William F. Johnston, 1836-7-8 and 1841; John S. Rhey, 1850-1-2; Darwin Phelps, 1856; John K. Calhoun, 1857-8; Philip K. Bowman, 1872-3; And. W. Bell, Wm. G. Heiner, 1877-80; W. F. Rumberger, Lee Thompson and Frank Martin, 1880; Thompson and A. D. Glenn, 1882.

President Judges - John Young, Westmoreland county; Thomas White, Indiana county; Jeremiah M. Burrell, Westmoreland county; John C. Knox, Tioga county; Joseph Buffington, Armstrong county; James A. Logan, Westmoreland county; John V. Painter, Armstrong county; Jackson Boggs and James B. Neale.

Associate Judges - Robert Orr, Sr., James Barrr, George Ross, Joseph Rankin, Robert Orr, Jr., Charles G. Snowden, John Calhoun, Andrew Arnold, Hugh Bingham, Robert Woodward, Michael Cochran, George F. Keener, John Woods, Josiah E. Stephenson, H. A. S. D. Dudley, John F. Nulton, Robert M. Beatty, James M. Stephenson.

Sheriffs - John Orr, Jonathan King, James McCormick, Joseph Brown, Philip Mechling, Robert Robinson, Thomas McConnell, Jacob Mechling, James Douglass, Chambers Orr, Samuel Hutchinson, Job Truby, George Smith, John Mechling, William G. Watson, Joseph Clark, Hamilton Kelly, George B. Sloan, Jonathan Myers, Robert M. Kirkadden, George W. Cook (appointed vice Kirkadden, deceased), David J. Reed, Alexander J. Montgomery, John B. Boyd, George A. Williams, James G. Henry, James H. Chambers.

District Attorneys - John W. Rohrer, Franklin Mechling, William Blakely, Henry F. Phelps, John V. Painter, John O. Barrett, Jefferson Reynolds, Joseph R. Henderson, M. F. Leason, R. S. Martin.

Deputy Attorneys - General. - Deputy attorneys-general were appointed by the attorney-general until by cat of May 3, 1850, the name was changed to district attorney, one of whom was thereafter to be elected by the voters of each county. Thomas Blair, William F. Johnston, Michael Gallagher, J. B. Musser, John B. Alexander, John Reed, George W. Smith, John S. Rhey, Thomas T. Torrey, Daniel Stanard, Hugh H. Brady, Ephraim Carpenter, J. G. Barclay, John W. Rohrer, James Stewart

Prothonotaries and Clerks - Paul Morrow, James Sloan, George Hiccox, Eben S. Kelley, James E. Brown, Frederick Rohrer, Simon Torney, W. W. Gibson, James Douglass, Jonathan E. Meredith, Samuel Owens, Simon Truby, Jr., James S. Quigley, John G. Parr, James G. Henry, A. H. Stitt.

Registers and Recorders - Paul Morrow, James Sloan, George Hiccox, Eben S. Kelley, David Johnston, Philip Mechling, Frederick Rohrer, John Croll, John Mechling, John R. Johnston, Joseph Bullman, William Miller, David C. Boggs, Philip K. Bowman, William R. Millron, James H. Chambers and H. J. Hayes

County Treasurers - Appointed annually by the county commissioners, as provided by acts of April 11, 1799 and April 15, 1834; Adam Elliott, Robert Brown, Samuel Matthews, Guy Hiccox, Thomas Hamilton, James Pinks, Alexander Colwell, David Johnston, Jonathan H. Sloan, Samuel McKee, Andrew Arnold, James Douglass, Samuel Hutchinson, John F. Nulton. Some of them were reappointed once or twice.

County Commissioners - Appointed: James Sloan, James Matthews and Alexander Walker. Elected: Jonathan King, Adam Ewing, James Jackson, Thomas Johnston, John Henry, George Long, Alexander McCain, John Davidson, David Johnston, Philip Clover, Isaac Wagle, David Reynolds, Joseph Rankin, Joseph Waugh, Daniel Reichert, Philip Templeton SR., Joseph Shields, Hugh Reed, James Barr, George Williams, John Patton, Samuel Matthews, James Green, Job Johnston, Jacob Allshouse, James Reichert, Alexander A. Lowry, John R. Johnston, William Curll, Jacob Beck, George W. Brodhead, Lindly Patterson, James Stitt, Joseph Bullman, William Coulter, Amos Mercer, Philip Hutchinson, John Boyd, Robert McIntosh, Arthur Fleming, Andrew Roulston, John Shoop, William McIntosh, Archibald Glenn, Wilson Todd, Thomas H. Caldwell, James Douglass, David Beatty, George B. Sloan, William W. Hastings, John M. Patton, William H. Jack, James Blair, Thomas Templeton, James Barr, Daniel Slagle, George H. Smith, Augustus T. Pontius, Peter Heilman, William P. Lowry, Thomas Montgomery, Thomas Herron, William Buffington, Brice Henderson and Owen Handcock, Lewis Corbett, John Murphy, James White, John Alward, T. V. McKee.

County Surveyors - James Stewart, Robert S. Slaymaker, John Steele, Robert H. Wilson.

Assessment Lists of 1807

The following lists of taxables were returned in the above-named year for the townships of Kittanning, Toby, Sugar Creek, Red Bank, Allegheny, and the borough of Kittaning:

The following is a list of the taxables of Kittaning township in 1807:

Peter Altman, Frederick Altman, John Allison, James Barkley, ____ Bleakley, Hugh Brown (store-keeper), John Beer (s), George Beer (gunsmith), Samuel Beef (saw and grist-mill), George Beek, John Bachman, William Brinigh, William Boyd, Jacob Baumgarner, Jonathan Bouser(s), James Cogley, Joseph Claypole, James Claypole (s), Conrad Cook, George Cook, Jeremiah Cook, Joseph Clark, James Carson (s) (saw and gristmill), James Clark, William Clark, Andrew Craft, John Caldwell, John Coon, James Cunningham, John Cohun, James Cohun, Samuel Cohun, Henry Davis, William Doty, James Douglas, Patrick Dougherty, John Davis, Andrew Dormoyer, Robert Duncan, Peter Eginger, John Ekey, Robert Ekey (s), James Elgin, Ephraim Evans, McKight Ellott, Daniel Fichard, Abraham Fiskus, Thomas Fitzhard, John Golde, Daniel Golde, James Gaff, Sameul George, James Guthrie, Sr., John Gross, George Hoover, Chris. Hoover, James Henry, Michael Hardman, Peter Hyleman, John Hyleman, Jacob House, Samuel Hill(s), James Hall, George Helfried (saw-mill), William Hookes, Robert Jordan, John Irvin, Peter Kealer, Jonathan Kilgore, Ezekiel Kilgore, George King, John Kirk, John T. King, Daniel Kimmel, William Kirkpatrick (distillery), James Kirkpatrick, Sr., James Kirkpatrick, Jr., James Kean (s), Adam Lowry, Benjamin Lowry (s), Jacob Lafferty, Abraham Lee (s), Daniel long, John Mufley, Alex. McGache, Thomas McGache, Hugh Martin, James Miller, George Miller, Joseph McKraken, John McKraken, John McMillen,Sr., John McMillen, Jr., Smith McMillen (tailor), Arch. McIntosh, Jonatahn Mason, John Munroe, William McAdoo (s), Thomas McMillen, James Moore (s) (schoolmaster), Thomas Miller (s), Jacob McFuse, William Marchel, Joseph Marchel, John Nolder, John Nolder, Jr., Henry Neas, Henry Neas, Jr., John Neas, Peter Neas, Peter Nealich, Johns S. Oliver, Chris. Oury (distillery), Adam Oury, Robert Patrick, John Patrick, Lewis Pears, William Pears, Abe Parkison, Henry Ruffner, John Roley, Jacob Robey, David Robson, Peter Rubert (weaver), Peter Rubert Jr., John Rubert, Patrick Rabb, Rhilip Rearight, John Ruff, Chris. Rupp, Francis Rupp, George Rupart, Peter Richard, George P. Shaffer, William Sheenes (s), William Simrel, Richard Smith, Sr., George Smith (distillery), John Steel, Samuel Sloan, ____ Smith, George Smith Jr., Robert Sloan, Philip Shaffer, George Shoemaker, George Shall, Jr., Thomas Swan (s), James Simpson, David Shields, Conrad Shrackencost, George Smith, John Smith, James Sloan, James Shall, Jacob Shrackencost, Henry Shrackencost, John Shrackencost, Goerge Shrackencost, John Thomas, Peter Thomas (grist and sawmill), John Templeton, John Thomas (mulatto), David Todd, Peter Terney, Parker Truett, Anderson Truett, John Willis, Abraham Woodward, Jacob Weamer, Peter Weamer, Adam Waltenbach, Thomas

Wilson, ____ Wolf, (widow), Thomas Williams, Jacob Wolf, George Wolf, (s) Adam Wilhelm, Jacob Willyard, Philip Wheitzel, Isaac Wagley (grist-mill), Robert Walker (s), James Walker (s), Abe Walker, Robert Work, David White, John Wilson, Rolin Weldon, John Wagle (s), George Williams, Robert White, Daniel Younts, Jonathan Younts, Fred. Yackey.

Tax List of the Town of Kittaning for 1807

Robt. Beatty (surveyor), James Brown (s) (joiner), Mathias Bouser (mason), Eli Bradford (joiner) Francis Bell (hatter), Thomas Beatty (s) John Bellark (mason), Alex. Blear, John Caldwell (tailor), Robt. Cooper (joiner), Patrick Daugherty, James Gibson, James Guthrie (joiner), S. M. Harrison (atty. at law), James Henry, James Hanegan (hatter), William Hanegan (tailor), David Lemon (s), Joseph Miller (store-keeper), Barnard Mahon (shoemaker), Alex. Moore, James Metheny, (wheelwright) Samuel Miller (shoemaker), Samuel Massey (atty. at law), Michael Machlen, Paul Monroe, Jacob Nealish (saddler), James Pike (joiner), Abe Parkeson (mason), David Ronalds (storekeeper), William Ronalds (tanner), James Sloan, Walter Sloan (s), John Shafer (joiner), Dewalt Shafer (carpenter), Erastus Sands (joiner), Michael Starr, John Thomas (shoemaker)

List of taxables in Toby township in 1807

Thomas Guthrie & Co., William Love , Thomas Miller , John Mortimer (grist and saw-mill owners)

Philip Clover (blacksmith)

Francis Hillard and James McElhany (wheelwrights)

John Simpkins (wagon-maker)

John Guthrie (carpenter)

John Wilson (tanner)

William Kelly (schoolmaster)

Absalom Travis (cooper)

Philip Bigley (shoemaker)

Hugh Reed (millwright)

Daniel Boyles (tailor)

Tate Allison , James Colhoon, John Coy, John Love, William Miller, Nicholas Polyard, James Smith and Robert Wilson (weavers)

The following persons were land-owners, and principally farmers:

Robert Alison, William Adams, William Adams, Jonathan Adams, William Ashton, Samuel Ashton, Robert Beatty, George Beck, Joseph Boney, John Boney, Joseph Barns, George Baird, Thomas Brown, Alex. Brown, James Brown, Jacob Bunker, William Bunker, Henry Benn, William Barr, Thomas Barr, John Brandon, James Brandon, John Brown, Jacob Bumgardner, William Booth, John Slack (s), Peter Benninger, John Bowls, John Bole, John Boney, Abe Corsal, Paul Corsal, Philip Corsal (tanner), John Corbitt, Alex. Cannon, William Clark, James Cannon, John Cochran, John Crawford, Thomas Conner, Robert Culbertson, Samuel Crow, Hugh Cullan, James Cathcart, Robert Cathcart, Joseph Craig, Andrew Campbell, Samuel Colhoon, John Colhoon, John Clugh, James Callen, Peter Coy, Benj. Coy, James Carson,

Fleming Davidson, Peter Duncle, Isaac David, John Donnel, Lewis Doverspike (s), George Delp (s), George Delp, Sr., John Doverspike, George Doverspike, John Duntap, Fleming Davis, Joseph Erwin, Philip Essex, Wright Elliott, John Emmitt, George Emmitt, John Eaton, Samuel Early, Joseph Everet, Peter Fidler, Thomas Freeman, JacobFlyfoot, Isaac Fetzer, Henry Fulton (s), William Frazier (s), James Fulton, Cochran Fulton (s),

Levi Gipson, William Guthrie, Sr., William Guthrie, Alex. Guthrie, Henry Gist, Joseph Greenawalt, William Grim, John Gross, William Henry, John Henry, Peter Hilliard, George Hall, John Hepler, Edward Hegin, David Hegin, David Hull, George Hilliard, Job Johnston, Hugh Kerr, Moses Kirkpatrick, William Kirkpatrick, James Kirkpatrick, Francis Kirkpatrick, James Knox, John Loge, James Laughlin, John Laughlin, Daniel Long, Abe Lee, Peter Lobaugh, Abe Lobaugh, Peter Lotshaw, Sr., Peter Lotshaw, John Long, William Lattimer, Frederick Miles (s), William Meals, Jacob Meals, Jacob Monney, Robert Myler, Thomas Meredith, William Moorhead, Paul McLean, Jacob McFadden (s), Joseph McQuown, Samuel Myers, Alex. McKean, John McGee, John Martin, Robert McCall, Arch. McNeel, James McGuire, William McKinley, Ezekiel Matthews, Thomas McGahey, Alex. McGahey, William Marchel, William Maffet, John Mufflee, Alex. Moore (weaver), William Matthew (s), Rev. Robert McGery, Arch. McKinney, Jesse McConnell (s), Joseph Marshall, Arch. Monney, John Miller, Charles McCoy, Thomas McKibbons (s), John McKibbons, Valentine Moir, Henry Nulfs, John Nulfs, Henry Nees, John Nees, Peter Nees, Richard Nesbitt, Samuel C. Orr, William Orr, Adam Aurey, William Oliver,Chris. Over, William Pollock, Thomas Pollock, James Potter, James Parker, Joseph Pearce, Joseph Pearce, Sr., Thomas Patrick, Robert Patrick,

---- Phillips, John Patrick, Edward Pearce, George Peech, Francis Rupe, Chris. Richart, Joseph Reed, John Rell, John Ross, Joseph Rankin, David Ramsey, Joshua Rhea, Peter Richards, John Reed, James Reed (s), David Ramsey, Sr., Thomas Riley (s), Andrew Smith, John Stockton, Francis Stanford, Jacob Silvus, Conrad Secongros, George Secongros, John Secongros (s), William Stewart, James Shields, William Spiney, James Scott, John Standford, Isaac Standford, Abe Standford, Chris. Smathus, John Sowers,

James Shields, John Stockton, John Sterrett, Herman Skiles (s), William Smith, Samuel Seawright, Steele Semple, Robert Smith, Capt. John Sloan, David Shields, William Sypes (potter), Peter Sylvis, Michael Starr, Lewis Swytzer, Stephen Travis (s), Robert Travis, Peter Titus, William Thompson (s), Michael Trainer, Samuel Thompson, William Thompson, Robert Thompson, William Thomas, John Wilson (s), William Wilson (s), Alex. Wilson, Lewis Wilson, David Wilson, William Wilson, John Wishev, George Williams, Mark Williams, Robert Walker (s),,Alex. Walker, Benj. Walker, James Walker (s), Abe Walker, Absalom Woodward, Peter Wally, Thomas Watson, James Watterson, James Wilkins, Robert Warden, David White, John Wilkins, William Young, Philip Youkley, Fred. Youkley

Back to Pennsylvania Trails History and Genealogy