Beaver County Newspaper History
The Minerva was the first newspaper published in Beaver, and was started by Joseph Israel in 1807. The Western
Cabinet, at Beaver, in September, 1811, by Joseph W. White. The Crisis, in May, 1813, by James Logan. The Beaver
Gazette, by Andrew Logan, May, 1813. Both the last named were consolidated June, 1813, named the (Crisis Beaver
Gazette, by A.&J. Logan. The Western Argus was started by James Logan, September 1st, 1818, and of which Thomas
Henry became editor and proprietor in 1824, and so continued until 1830, when Wm. Henry succeeded him as editor
and proprietor, until the latter end of 1851, when he was succeeded by Michael Weyand and A. G. Henry. The editorial
control of the Argus, after Weyand and Henry disposed of the paper, changed quite frequently between then and 1866,
at which time it was purchased and edited by Jacob Weyand, until 1873, when it and the Radical were united. The
Aurora was started by James Logan & Co. in March, 1835. The Western Star was started September 1st, 1847, by
Denlinger & Work. The Beaver Radical was started, edited and published by M. S. Quay, in the year 1868, and
was united with the Argus, under the name of the Argus & Radical, in 1873, J. S. Rutan and Jacob Weyand, editors.
The Beaver Times was started in 1874, editor and proprietor, Michael Weyand. The Beaver Valley News was started
in New Brighton in the year 1874, Reader and Critchlow, proprietors, and F. S. Reader, editor. The Courier was
started in Beaver Falls in 1875, John F. Porter, editor and proprietor.
Source: Weyand & Reed's Beaver County centennial directory, Beaver County, Page 50