Pennsylvania
        Genealogy Trails




BIOGRAPHIES

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z




A

ALBRIGHT, Jacob, of Meyersdale, is the son of Frank Albright, who was born in 1816 in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, and was a shoemaker by trade.  His wife was Lydia Deal, and they were the parents of the following children:  Hattie, Catharine, Mealie, all of whom are deceased; Peter; Jacob, mentioned hereinafter; Eliza; Fannie; and Leopold.  The death of Mr. Albright, the father, occurred in 1897 at the good old age of eighty-one.
Jacob Albright, son of Frank and Lydia (Deal) Albright, was born January 27, 1848, in Somerset county, where he was educated in the common schools.  At the age of seventeen he enlisted in Company D, Fifty-fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, for three years or during the war, receiving his discharge April 8, 1865, the day before the surrender at Appomattox.
Mr. Albright married, in 1872, Dorothea, daughter of Jacob and Annie Weyer, and the following children have been born to them:  Jacob F.; Henry E.; Hattie, deceased; Charles, also deceased; John; Minnie; Dorothea; and Ettie.

(Source: History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, Pennsylvania, with genealogical and personal history (1906), The Lewis Publishing Company.  Page 479.  Transcribed by Rhonda Kevorkian.)


B


BECHHOEFER Charles, St Paul.  Res 847 Ashland av, office 208 Nat German American Bank bldg.  Lawyer.   Born Jan 1, 1864 in Woodbury Pa, son of A L and Rebecca (Goldschmidt) Bechhoefer.  Attended Altoona Pa High School 1880-83 graduating; law dept Univ of Mich 1883-85 graduating LL B.  Moved to St Paul 1885 and entered law office of J B & W H Sanborn remaining 2 years.  Practiced law in St Paul 1887 to date.  U S comnr June 1899 to Dec 1905.
[Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ.  1907 Transcribed by Rhonda Hill]
 

BLACK, George Ewalt
, general agent Mu­tual Benefit Life Insurance Co. of Newark, N. J.; born, Schellsburg, Bedford Co., Pa., Oct. 29, 1867; son of Jeremiah Ewalt and Mary Lelia (Deal) Black; high school and business college education; married, Louisa Court House, Va., Oct. 24, 1901, Martha Walker Porter; one son: William Mallory. Began active career in Northern Kansas as clerk in bank; was assistant cashier of the bank at 18 and cashier at 21, when it was converted into a national bank; assisted in organizing three banks in Northern Kansas and Western Missouri; on account of close confinement disposed of banking interests in 1896 and became solicitor for the Travelers Insurance Co. at Kansas City, Mo.; was called to home office at Hartford, Conn., as special agent, and later promoted to position of super­intendent of agencies; resigned Jan. 1, 1907, removing from Hartford to St. Louis as junior partner of Darby & Black, general agents Mu­tual Benefit Life Insurance Co. of Newark, N. J.; succeeded Darby & Black as general agents of the company, Apr. 1, 1911, owing to retirement of C. W. Darby after serving the Mutual Benefit Life in St. Louis for forty-three years. Republican. Baptist. Member Business Men's League, Civic League. Clubs: St. Louis, City, Missouri Athletic. Office: 10th floor Wright Bldg. Residence: 5085 Raymond Avenue.
(Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)

BORDER, Frederick
Frederick Border, of Holsopple, is a grandson of John Border, a native of Germany and an early settler of Bedford county, Pennsylvania.  He followed the trade of a wagonmaker in connection with farming, his farm being situated about four miles from Schellburg.  He was three times married and was the father of twenty-two children.
Daniel Border, son of John Border and his first wife, who was a Miss Black, was born about 1800, in Bedford county, and leaned the carpenter's trade at Schellburg.  In 1834 he moved to Conemaugh township, Somerset county, and there followed his trade during the remainder of his life.  He served three years as tax collector of the township, and was captain in the state militia until it was disbanded.  He was a Democrat and a member of the Lutheran church.  Mr. Border married Charlotte, daughter of M. Goeb, the first newspaper editor of Somerset county, and their children were:  John, born 1830; Frederick, see forward; Catharine, born 1834; Magdalena, born 1836; Charlotte, born 1838; Mary, born 1839; Daniel, born 1840; Joseph, born 1841; Rebecca, born 1842; Ella, born 1844.  After the death of his wife Mr. Border married Mrs. Catherine Yeoman, widow of Joseph Yeoman, who bore him one son, Edward.  The death of Mr. Border occurred in 1875, in Conemaugh township.
Frederick Border, son of Daniel and Charlotte (Geob) Border, was born September 23, 1832, in Bedford county, and was about two years old when the family took up their abode in Conemaugh township.  He was educated in the old log school house at Davidsville, and learned the carpenter's trade, at which he worked until twenty-five years of age.  In 1859 he engaged in mercantile business in Johnstown, but after several years in business there sold out and went to Baltimore, Maryland, in the wholesale fruit business.  In the spring of 1888 he disposed of the business to his son Grant, who is still (1906) conducting it, and moved to Benson borough, where he has since given his attention to farming.  He is a director in the Benson National Bank.  At one time he held the office of tax collector.  He is a Republican and a member of the Lutheran church.
Mr. Border married, in 1855, Elizabeth, the daughter of Joseph Hoffman, and their children were:  Arabella, died in childhood; Agnes (Mrs. Talman), a widow, one son, Carroll Talman.  Lucy (Mrs. Gideon Bantz), of Baltimore, Maryland, children: Harold, Dorothy and Davis.  Grant, a merchant of Baltimore, married Kate Spicer, who bore him five children: one daughter and four sons-Gervis, Guy, Harley and Grant.  Harley, engaged in the brokerage business in Baltimore, Maryland; unmarried.  Anna, married Daniel Parsons, a lawyer of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, one child, Reginald Parsons.  Another child, who died in infancy.  After the death of the mother of these children, Mr. Border married Mary E., widow of John Keyler, of Jenner township.
(Source: History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, Pennsylvania, with genealogical and personal history (1906), The Lewis Publishing Company.  Pages 429-430.  Transcribed by Rhonda Kevorkian.)


H

HARTLEY

Oliver Cromwell Hartley was born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, March 31, 1823, and was educated in that state at Franklin and Marshall College, from which he graduated in 1841, with the added honor of being the valedictorian of his class. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1844. In 1846 he came to Texas, landing at Galveston. He volunteered as a private in the Mexican War and was later made a Lieutenant, but he was disabled in the summer of 1846 and returned to Galveston and began the practice of law. He then prepared a brief digest of the statutes of Texas, beginning the work in 1848, and in 1850 the Legislature subscribed for one thousand and five hundred copies. He was elected to the Legislature in 1851, and in that year was appointed reporter to the Supreme Court and held the office until his death in Galveston on the 13th day of January, 1859. In addition to his work as reporter he was, in 1854, appointed one of a commission of three to codify the laws of Texas.

Source: History and Geography of Texas As Told In County Names by Z. T. Fulmore (1913) transcribed by Sandi King.

HITECHEW, William

William Hitechew, of Daley, is a great-grandson of Jacob Hiteshew (the original form of the family name), a native of Tawneytown, Maryland, where he was born about 1780.  He subsequently became a farmer near Schellsburg, Bedford county, Pennsylvania.  He was a soldier of the War of 1812, adhered to the Democratic party and was a member of the German Lutheran church.  Mr. Hiteshew married, in 1813, Mary M. Zambram, and their family consisted of the following children:  William, born in 1815; Elizabeth, born in 1817; John, born in 1818; Jacob, born in 1820; Julia A., born in 1821; Abraham, born in 1822; Mary, born in 1824; Gideon, born in 1825; David T., mentioned at length hereinafter; and Susanna, born in 1829.  The father of the family died about 1840.
David T. Hitechew, son of Jacob and Mary M. (Zambram) Hitechew, was born in 1827 in Bedford county and learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for some years.  In 1861 he came to Shade township, where he has since engaged in farming and also the lumber business.  He affiliates with the Democratic party and is a member of the Evangelistic church.  Mr. Hitechew married, June 10, 1848, Catharine Darr, who became the mother of the following children:  Margaret, born April 27, 1849; William, born September 17, 1850; Ruth A., born April 9, 1852; John, born October 19, 1853; George, born October 6, 1855; Albert, mentioned at length hereinafter; Mary B., born November 15, 1858; Hester, born June 6, 1860; Sarah C., born January 9, 1862; and Jacob W., born June 9, 1865.  After the death of Mrs. Hitechew, Mr. Hitechew married, on February 20, 1879, Sarah Fuller, the issue of the marriage being five children:  Della, born December 23, 1881; Daisy; David H., born October 11, 1882; Thomas C., born February 28, 1886; and Levina G., born April 12, 1889.
Albert Hitechew, son of David T. and Catharine (Darr) Hitechew, was born March 10, 1857, and for three years was employed at the Cambria Iron Works.  He was also engaged for some years in the agency business.  In 1893 he moved to Shade township, where he has since given his attention to farming and to the lumber business.  He is a Republican and a member of the Evangelistic church.  Mr. Hitechew married Adeline, daughter of William Small, and the following are their children:  1. Maggie, born March 15, 1877, wife of Abram Wise, has six children.  2. William, mentioned at length hereinafter.  3. Lowman, born January 17, 1888.  4. Effie, born February 1, 1892.  5. Arthur, born April 4, 1894.  Mrs. Hitechew died December 30, 1896, and Mr. Hitechew subsequently married Martha, daughter of Harrison Custer.  There are two children by this marriage:  Blanche, born April 12, 1900; and Ida, born April 8, 1903.
William Hitechew, son of Albert and Adeline (Small) Hitechew, was born at Daley, November 19, 1885, and graduated from the local normal school at New Bristol, Bedford county, also from the local normal school at Somerset.  From these he passed to the Indiana State Normal School at Indiana, Pennsylvania, and in due time will graduate therefrom and enter either Harvard University or the University of Maryland (medical department), Baltimore, Maryland.
For four years he has been numbered among the educators of his native county, being principal of Ashtola school, 1906-07.  He is a member of the Christian church.
(Source: History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, Pennsylvania, with genealogical and personal history (1906), The Lewis Publishing Company.  Pages 514-516.  Transcribed by Rhonda Kevorkian.)

J

DAVID S. JAMES
Perhaps by natural endowment, perhaps by inheritance from his ancestors, this now prosperous and successful stock man and rancher was possessed in early life with a desire to go abroad from the narrow confines of his home and see the country and make his own way wherever fortune or inclination might lead him. At any rate when he was twenty years old he freely gave up bright prospects in the mercantile line, and turning his back upon the scenes and associations of his childhood and youth, and the pleasures of a peaceful fireside, he came into the wilds of the west with but little capital beyond high hopes, a stout heart, good health and a first-rate education, here to encounter danger and disaster, hard work with slender compensation, privation, loneliness and cheerless outlooks, until by native force and the exercise of good judgment he made a lodgment against fate and commanded circumstances to his service, winning prosperity by sheer determination and perseverance. He was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, on December 18, 1845, the son of John and Elizabeth James, the former a native of England and the latter of Maryland. They settled in Pennsylvania in their early married life, and there the father became a prosperous merchant and banker. In politics he was a Republican and in church affiliation a Methodist. The mother was a Lutheran. She died in 1875 and he in 1898. Their family comprised seven children. Mary, then the wife of Jacob Barnhardt, died at the town of Bedford, Pennsylvania, and Sarah at her father’s house. The living children are: William, living at Charlesville, Pennsylvania; Maria, the wife of John Emig; John, at Rainsburg, Pennsylvania; Rachel H., in Ohio; and the subject of this brief review. The latter received a good education, attending the public schools and the Missionary Institute located at Seal’s Grove on the west bank of the Susquehanna. At the age of eighteen he received from his father a one-half interest in his mercantile business, and for two years he gave his attention to the enterprise with zeal and industry. At the end of that time, being dissatisfied with the occupation, he abandoned his interest and started west to find something more congenial. He stopped at Nebraska City, Nebraska, where he secured employment as a clerk in the postoffice at a compensation of fifty dollars a month. He remained there so employed three years, then came to Gunnison, Colorado, and began prospecting. During the two years he devoted to this business he suffered many hardships and privations, with all the danger and discomfort incident to life in a wild mining camp. Giving up prospecting as a bad job, he located the ranch on which Carbondale has since been built, but two years later sold it to Elsey Cooper for three hundred and fifty dollars, after which he purchased another ranch which he sold three years afterward to Mr. Crane of the vicinity. He had tried to improve it, but the survey for the ditch was made wrong and the water was unavailable. In 1884 he moved to Aspen, where he remained until July of the next year without accomplishing much, then changed to the vicinity in which he now lives and bought a ranch of Mr. Campbell for fifty dollars. The ranch comprised one hundred and sixty acres and was located six miles northeast of Carbondale. Retaining this, he returned to Aspen, and during the next three years he drove a transfer wagon in the interest of Mr. Stephens. He then moved back to his ranch and remained there five years, at the end of that period selling the property at a good profit. His next venture was the purchase of one hundred and fifty-eight acres of the ranch which he now owns, to which he has since added one hundred and sixty-six acres, making his holding at this time three hundred and twenty-four acres. Of this he cultivated two hundred acres, raising hay, grain, potatoes and other vegetables. His crops are first-rate in quality and generous in quantity. The water right is good and the supply sufficient, and the land responds readily to skillful tillage. Mr. James has also devoted some time and attention to raising horses. In national politics he is a Republican, and in fraternal circles he is connected with the Odd Fellows, the Woodmen of the World and the Patriotic Sons of America.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)

M

MOORE, George W.
Born in Bedford county, Pa., September 6, 1824; died at St. Paul, February 13, 1891. He learned the printing business and came to St. Paul in 1850, where he became foreman for James M. Goodhue, in the publication of the "St. Paul Pioneer." In 1852 he became one of the publishers of the "Minnesotain," and continued until 1859, when the paper was consolidated with the "Times." In 1861 he was appointed by President Lincoln Deputy Collector of Customs for St. Paul, which office he held for eighteen years. He was alderman for the fourth ward of the City for many years, and prominent in the politics of the County and State; was a concise, clear and forcible writer, and a recognized power in the politics of the Northwest for many years. He was admitted a member of this Society November 26, 1890. For several years his health had been precarious, and he died while sitting in his chair at home.   All old settlers will cherish his memory. [Minnesota Society, Sons of the American Revolution : year book : 1889-1895; St. Paul, Minn.: Printed by the McGill Print. Co., 1895,]

S

STIVER, William Watson
William Watson Stiver is a son of David Casper and Mary (Shartzer) Stiver.  David C. Stiver was a native of Centre county, Pennsylvania, but came to Bedford when quite young.  Here he learned the trade of a cooper which occupation he followed all his life.  For forty years he made all the barrels used by the Anderson Ayres Company in shipping from Bedford Springs the famous mineral waters of that noted resort.  David C. was a Democrat and an active member and class leader of the Methodist church.  He married Mary Shartzer, and to them were born twelve children, five of whom are living:  William Watson, of whom later; Louise, widow of J. Frank Deal, of Bedford; Samuel F., chief of police of Bedford; Margaret (Mrs. John Williamson), of Bedford; Ross A., liveryman of Bedford.  David C. Stiver died in 1889; his widow, Mary, survived him until 1896.
William Watson Stiver, of Myersdale, was born October 4, 1865, at Bedford Springs, Pennsylvania, where he attended the public schools until the age of fifteen.  He learned telegraphy with the Western Union Telegraph Company and for six years was manager of the Bankers' & Merchants' Telegraph Compnay, of Newburg, Cumberland county.  In 1885 he entered the service of the Western Union Telegraph Company at Fannettsburg, remaining two years, and in 1887 went to Pittsburg, where he beame shipping clerk for A. M. Byers & Company, tile and pipe manufacturers.  This position he held until 1893, when he returned to Newburg, and after a few months moved to Newport, Perry county, where he entered the cigar and tobacco business.  In 1896 he sold out and moved to Greensburg, where he carried on the same business until 1898.  He then returned to Bedford and temporarily retired.  In 1899 he went to Meyersdale and purchased the Keystone Hotel, of which he has since been the successful proprietor.  He is a stockholder in the Sheet Steel Company of Meyersdale, and a member of Lodge No. 503, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, of Cumberland.  In politics he is a Democrat.
Mr. Stiver married, October 13, 1892, Jennie Mabel, daughter of A. J. Stauffer, of Newburg, Pennsylvania.  Two children, Marguerite and Lucy.
(Source: History of Bedford and Somerset Counties, Pennsylvania, with genealogical and personal history (1906), The Lewis Publishing Company.  Pages 186-187.  Transcribed by Rhonda Kevorkian.)

W

MILTON D. WILLIAMS, who is successfully pursuing agriculture in township 140, range 63, is one of the pioneers of that locality, and has aided in the development of Stutsman county. His active public spirit and good citizenship has never been called in question and he is one of the substantial farmers of his county.
Our subject was born on a farm in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, July 29, 1849. His father, George W. Williams, was born and raised on the same farm, on which the grandfather, John Williams, settled in 1801. He was of Welsh descent and was one of the first settlers of Pennsylvania. The mother of our subject, who bore the maiden name of Margaret Deal, and was born and raised in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, and was of German descent.
Our subject was the seventh in order of birth in a family of ten children, and received a common-school education and also attended Tipton Seminary, and Millersville State Normal. After completing his studies he engaged in teaching and followed that profession ten years, after spending one summer in Nebraska. He went to Nemeha county, Kansas, in the spring of 1879, and located on a farm, where he followed that calling three years, and on account of ill health went to North Dakota in March, 1882. He selected land as a homestead and tree claim northeast of Montpelier, in Stutsman county, and erected a small house and stable, and in the fall of that year was joined by his family. He engaged in farming there seven years, and then removed to section 9, in township 140, range 63, where he resided sic years, and then purchased the south half of section 18, in township 140, range 63, on which place he now resides and has added valuable improvements. His farm consists of four hundred and eighty acres, with about three hundred acres under cultivation, and Mr. Williams operates about twenty-one hundred acres, and is one of the most extensive farmers of Stutsman county. He follows general farming, but his interests are in the main the raising of the cereals. He has a complete set of substantial farm buildings and all necessary farm machinery, including a steam threshing rig, and threshes his own grain. When he went to Dakota he had but a few personal effects and no money, but by dint of his own efforts he has become one of the substantial men of that region. He worked in a lumber yard during the first summer in Dakota and also broke land for others with an ox-team, and engaged in that work over a great portion of the county. He worked for others until 1884, when he began farming for himself.
At the age of twenty-four years, our subject was married to Miss Mary E. Hartman, who was born and raised near Hagerstown, Maryland, and is of German descent. Mrs. Williams is a lady of considerable education and was a teacher for one year. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Williams, as follows: Margaret E., married; Hartman and Calvin, twins, and the latter is now in South America, representing a machine company; Lawrence, who has recently returned from the Philippines, and is a member of the First North Dakota Infantry - these four were born on the same farm in Pennsylvania where their father and grandfather were born; George, born in Kansas; and Ruth and Elizabeth, born in North Dakota. Mr. Williams is a Populist in political faith and stands firmly for his convictions. He was presidential elector in 1892, and was the nominee of the Populist party in 1898 for the state legislature, and was chairman of the first Populist state central committee, and was active in the organization of the party. He was secretary of the state Farmers' Alliance from November, 1889, to June, 1891, and was president of the same from June, 1892, to June, 1893. He was land commissioner of North Dakota from April, 1893, to July, 1895, and was the first to be appointed in that capacity. He has attended as delegate every state convention of his party, and takes an active part in state and county affairs. His earnest labors have been given with a oneness of purpose which has commended him to all alike.
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Syndi Phillips]





Back to Bedford County Pennsylvania

Back to Pennsylvania Genealogy Trails



©2016 Genealogy Trails