Children of James J. Aaron
Daily Gazette and Bulletin (Williamsport, Pennsylvania) October 8, 1874
Ravages of the Scarlet Fever
During the month of September, and in the period of ten days, six children of James J. Aaron, of Limestone township,
Clarion county, died of scarlet fever, ranging in age from two years to twenty-four.
Clarion Co., Pa., ae. 105. He was considered the oldest man in the county. He settled on Piney Creek when the surrounding country was a howling wilderness.
Annual OBITUARY NOTICES OF EMINENT PERSONS who have died in the United States FOR 1858; BY HON. NATHAN CROSBY; BOSTON: JOHN P. JEWETT AND COMPANY. 1859. Transcribed by Kim Mohler.
Eva Craig Barton;
Eva Craig was born on a farm in Clarion County, Pennsylvania, July 19, 1856. At the death of her father she went to live with the family of her uncle at Greenville, being only seven years old, and received her early education in the schools of that city. When she was sixteen years old, she attended the Academy at Corsica, Pennsylvania, and for several years alternately taught or attended school, and later attended the Washington Female Seminary at Washington, Pennsylvania, graduating from that institution in 1883. She then taught school until May of 1886, when she came to Idaho.
On May 29, 1886, at Bellevue, Idaho, Eva Craig was married to the Rev. Joseph H. Barton, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Boise, who had been a fellow student in the Academy back in Pennsylvania, and who after their engagement, came to Idaho in 1885 to take charge of the church at Boise and prepare their future home, to which she came by previous arrangement to share with him in the following year.
In 1891 the College of Idaho was founded at Caldwell, Idaho, and in 1893 Dr. and Mrs. Barton removed from Boise to that city, where Dr. Barton took the pastorate of the Presbyterian Church of Caldwell and both himself and Mrs. Barton taught in the College of Idaho until 1897, at which date Dr. Barton became general organizer of the Presbyterian Sunday schools for the States of Idaho and Utah, in which work he was ably assisted by Mrs. Barton. In 1901 Dr. Barton accepted the pastorate of the Presbyterian Church at Union, Oregon, and they removed to that city, returning to the church at Boise in 1905, where they resided until Mrs. Barton's death, January 22, 1924.
One child was born of this union, a bright promising son, Craig Barton, but who was taken from them by death in the springtime of his life, when he was 12 years old, dying of spinal meningitis. Eva Craig Barton was widely known, respected and beloved throughout this city and State. She was prominent not only in church work, to which she devoted nearly forty years of her life here in Idaho, but also in civic affairs as well. To quote from the College of Idaho Bulletin, "The faithful wife of a pioneer pastor, organizer and worker in missionary societies, young people's societies, educational societies, civic societies, and a teacher and adviser in the Church's pioneer college. A full life of service for God and man."
She was the first president of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union of Idaho, was an honorary member of the National Board of Home Missions of the Presbyterian Church, President of the Woman's Board of Missions of Idaho, a charter member of the Columbian Club of Boise, and the first woman member of the Board of Trustees of the Boise City schools.
A memorial has been planned for her at the College of Idaho, to which she so liberally contributed of her life and works. The Bible Chair Endowment Fund is to be completed and named the Eva Craig Barton Memorial Fund, and the Trustees have already elected the Rev. J. H. Barton, her husband, as head of the Department of Bible Instruction in the College which this memorial fund will maintain, thus perpetuating the work of her lifetime in administering to the souls of mankind.
[Source: Biennial report of the Board of Trustees of the State Volumes 8-15; Publ. 1921-1936; By Idaho State Historical Society, Board of Trustees; Transcribed and submitted by Andrea Stawski Pack.]
Mary (Sherman) George
Mrs. Mary George Drops Dead.
Mrs. Mary George, who lived in the May Rush house was found lying dead on the floor of her home Friday evening, March 29, about six o'clock. Melvin Sparks, who went to the Mrs. George home after his washing, discovered Mrs. George lying on the floor and he called Dr. Farquhar. It was found that she had died from an attack of heart trouble but a few moments before. She had been around and working every day but had not complained of being ill, but a day or two before her death remarked that she had pains in the region of her heart. Mrs. George had prepared her supper and it is thought was just in the act of partaking of her meal when death overtook her, as a cup of hot tea had spilled over her hands.
Mary A. Sherman was born in Clarion County, Pennsylvania, on March 7, 1843 and at the time of her death was 69 years and 22 days old.
At the age of 20 Miss Sherman was united in marriage to John George and to this union were born three children, one son and two daughters. The son died in infancy and the youngest daughter died at the age of 18. The only remaining daughter, whose home is in Missouri, was unable to be present at the funeral on account of washouts.
Mrs. George joined the M.E. church here by letter December 8, 1909, and has lived in Bassett since, where she has made many friends, and was loved and respected by all that loved her. Her death was a shock to her many friends and neighbors.
Funeral services were held from the M.E. Church Sunday afternoon and the remains laid to rest in the Crook cemetery.
Rock County Leader.
[source: The McCook Tribune, McCook, Neb. April 11, 1912], submitted by Melody Beery
Indiana Weekly Messenger (Indiana, Pennsylvania)
Hon. Reynold Laughlin, an old and prominent member of the Clarion county bar, died at his home at Callensburg
on Wednesday of last week, from a stroke of paralysis, aged 83 years. The deceased represented the county a couple
of terms in the State Legislature, and during the rebellion served with honor and distinction as a Captain in the
103d Pa Vol. He has been a life long member of the Presbyterian church and died in that faith. He was a brother
of the late James W. Laughlin, of this county, and the last remaining member of that family. He was born near Jacksonville
and was a tanner by trade and for many years worked in this town. He was last here in 1886.
SUDDENLY SUMMONED HOME:
J.H. Ludwick was found dead in bed, Tuesday morning of this week, by his daughter Miss Vergie, who went into his room to call him for breakfast. Mr. Ludwick retired Monday evening feeling no worse than usual, and while death was not unexpected, the realization came to the members of the family and to the host of friends in city and country as a great shock, notwithstanding the deceased had been in failing health for about two years, and despite the fact that his state had been regarded as hopeless for several months.
Harvey Ludwick was one of God's noblemen. The golden rule was his motto. He was an honorable Christian gentleman and held the respect and love of all who knew him. His memory is a benediction. His own physical ailments were aggravated by the loss of and longing for the dear complement and helpmate of his life who had preceded him to the spirit land June 12, 1902.
Funeral services were conducted at the Methodist church by Rev. M.B. Carman, Thursday afternoon at two o'clock, a large body of sympathetic friends attending and paying a last tribute of loving respect to the memory of the departed. Many beautiful floral tributes were upon and about the casket.
John Harvey Ludwick was born July 3, 1849, Rimersburg, Clarion County, Pennsylvania. In 1869 with his parents he moved to Illinois. April 12th, 1876 he was united in marriage with Miss Sarah E. Wheeler in Onarga, Illinois. Dallas, Texas became their home in 1877. In 1884 they moved to McCook , NE, where they have since made their home. Ten children were born to them, five daughters and five sons. Four children survive the parents, Earl, Vergie, Lewis and Loran. Mrs. Ludwick died in this city June 11th, 1902. The deceased had been suffering with a complication of diseases for the past two years, but the end came from an attack of heart trouble. The deceased was a lifelong member of the building committee having in hand the construction of the Methodist church of this city in 1885.
Mrs. Hilen Trowbridge of Lincoln, a sister, Mrs. I.J. Owens of Yuma, Colo., and Mrs. C.H. Pratt, of Cropsey, Ill., sisters in law, and Mrs. George Wheeler of Holdrege, cousins, were among those present at the funeral yesterday.
Deceased was among the pioneer merchants of the city, engaging in the furniture business here in 1885 in partnership with his brother in law, H.T. Trowbridge, now in the railway mail service and located in Lincoln. The deceased was a member of the A.O.U.W. and his life was insured for $2,000.00 in the order. Business was quite generally suspended in the city, during the funeral, out of respect for and honored businessman and citizen.
[source: The McCook Tribune, McCook Nebraska, March 11, 1904 edition, submitted by Melody Beery
Sylvester McCall, an old and highly respected citizen, one of the pioneers of the county passed quietly away from this earth at his home south of the river on last Friday, April 16th.
Sylvester McCall was born in Clarion County, Pennsylvania, May 3rd, 1843 and died April 16th, 1897. He came to Nebraska in 1879 and with the exception of a short time in Kansas, has remained here until death. For the past twelve or fifteen years he has been a great sufferer from a disease undoubtedly contracted in the army. He belonged to Company A 103rd Pennsylvania volunteer infantry, was in the service four years, of which nine months of it was spent in Andersonville prison.
The funeral service was conducted at the home by Rev. A.G. Blackwell and his remains was followed to the cemetery by a large company of neighbors and friends. He leaves a wife and four children.
[source: The Red Cloud Chief, Red Cloud, Webster Co. Neb., April 23, 1897] submitted by: Melody Beery
The Indiana Democrat (Indiana, Pennsylvania)
Mr. William Milliken of Porter township, Clarion county was found dead, on Wednesday morning last. He got up about six o'clock, and took his son's revolver, and went to the barn, as was his usual custom. Sometime after, he was found lying dead between the house and barn, with a bullet hole in his forehead, and the revolver beside him. It is generally supposed he shot himself accidentally, while attempting to shoot a squirrel. His sons having been in the habit of shooting with their revolvers at squirrels, which came into the orchard, and about the corn crib, in the morning. He was a good citizen, in comfortable circumstances, in good health, and living pleasantly with his family and neighbors, and no cuase can be assigned for desring to end his own life. Although it cannot be known with certainty, yet from all the circumstances it seems to have been an accident. He leaves a family and many friends to mourn his sudden and terrible death.
Albert J Servey
Contributed by Kyle M. Condon
Newspaper: Iola Register- Iola, Allen, KS
: A.J. Servey was born in Clarion County, PA August 31, 1841. From there the family moved to Brinkerton, PA when the son was eleven years old. Later they lived in Shannondale and by the time A.J. was seventeen they were living in Venango County, where he worked in the oil fields until the Civil War broke out. He enlisted as a member of the 4th Pennsylvania Cavalry, Company I, on July 22, 1861 for a period of three years as a bugler. "The protection surrounding that position, however, was distasteful to him and he threw his bugle away, perferring the greater danger of real fighting. At the end of his three-year period he re-enlisted for the remainder of the war. In 1862 he was promoted to Corporal. In the fall of the same year he became Sergeant and later in the same fall he was made Lieutenant and was transfered to Company G, He refused the change of company and remained with the company which he had been fighting all through the war. The principal battles i which Mr. Servey took Part were the Battle of Middleburg, MO., Antietum, Fredericksberg, the seven days before Richmond, Gettysburg and Cold Harbor. In speaking of the Battle of Antietam, Captain Servey was ofter heard to say that if there had been any sort of general they could have "licked half the army." In the battle of Gettysburg the company of which he was a member reached there on the first day and Lieutenant Servey was detailed upon Pleasanton's Staff. During the month of August, 1864 Mr. Servey took part in fourteen engagements including that at Rheims Station, besides helping to tear up the Weldon railroad from Petersburg to Beldon, and seventy-five miles of the Boydtown plank road. He was within two miles of Appomatox courthouse at the time of the surrender. He was discharged and mustered out of the service on July 1, 1865, with the rank of Lieutenant in command of his company.
As soon as he was free to do so he returned to his old home in Pennsylvania, where on November 4, 1865,he was married to Sarah Adeline Weikal. To them eight children were born six boys and two girls.Two of the boys Alender and Ralph were killed in a cyclone that swept the country west of Iola, KS in the summer of 1884. Others who survive are: Mrs. C.L. Barnhart, of Independence, Oregon, who cannot be here for the funeral; L.W. Servey, Ocheieta, Okla, A.B. Servey of Minneapolis, Minn, Mrs. B.L. McNeil, Frank M. Servey, and Dan J. Servey, all of Iola, The mother of the family died here on December 5, 1907. In August , 1909, he was united in marriage with Mrs. Lilly Munger, who survives her. Mr. & Mrs. Servey came to Kansas from Pennsylvania in April of 1868. The entire trip from Pittsburg, PA to Kansas City, then called Westport Landing, was made by water, and required nineteen days to complete. From Kansas City they drove overland to Lawrence and then to Humboldt, where they located on a homestead three miles west and one and a quarter south of Iola. They remained there for three years when the grasshopper invasion of Kansas, from 1872-1875, when they moved to Iola, which has ever since been the family home.
1st Wife: Sarah Adeline Weikel Servey
2nd Wife:Lilly Munger