By Luther Reily Kelker, The Lewis Publishing Company, New York
and Chicago, 1907
Transcribed by Nancy Piper for Genealogy Trails
Cameron Family(Page 1-5)
This memoir treats of the family to which General Simon Cameron belonged.
History in its broadest scope will ever keep such individuals before the
generation of men which are to live in this country for their models of public
(I) Donald Cameron, the great-grandfather of General Simon Cameron descended from the clan Cameron, of Scotland, who shared their fortunes with the unfortunate Charles Edward whose star sunk on the field of Culloden. He wag a participant in that eventful battle, and having escaped the carnage, made his way to America, arriving about 1745-46. He afterward fought under the gallant Wolfe upon the heights of Abraham, and during the war with France was in continuous service.
(II) Simon Cameron, son of Donald Cameron, was an early associate in the revolution, and took the oath of allegiance June 1, 1778; a brother, John, signed the same day. Simon Cameron has a son Charles.
(III) Charles Cameron, son of Simon Cameron, married Martha Pfoutz, and reared a large family, yet a rernarkable one, and the history , of our country gives but few instances of the successful career of an entire family like this, among whom General Simon, of Harrisburg, is perhaps the most prominent figure.
Martha (Pfoutz) Cameron, wife of Charles Cameron, descended from Conrad Pfoutz, an emigrant from the Palatinate, Germany. He settled in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, and Pfoutz Valley, now in Perry county, Pennsylvania, perpetuates the name of a hero of the border warfare in the days when blood was freely shed by the treacherous Delawares and Shawanees,
IV) General Simon Cameron, son of Charles and Martha (Pfoutz) Cameron, was born March 8, 1799, at Maytown, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. When about nine years old his parents removed to Northumberland county, where, soon after, his father died and he was cast upon his own resources. School advantages were exceedingly limited then, but he, having a fondness for books, saw no better method of acquiring knowledge of the great world around him than by entering a printing-office, which seemed to fix his destiny. He entered the office of the Northumberland County Gazette, in 1816, where he remained one year, his master having failed in business by that time. The following is a true copy of the terms upon which he was "bound out" to learn the trade of a printer.
"The indenture witnesseth that Simon Cameron, son of Charles Cameron, deceased, of Pennsylvania (by and with the advise and consent of his guardian, Coin Cameron testified by his signature as a witness hereto) hath bound and put himself, and by the presents doth bind and put himself apprentice to Andrew Kennedy, printer, of the town of Northumberland after the manner of an apprentice, to dwell and serve the said Andrew Kennedy, his executors, administrators and assigns the full end of the term of three years and ten months thence next ensuing and fully to be complete and ended, during all which time the said apprentice his said master faithfully shall serve and that honesty and obediently in all things, as a dutiful apprentice ought to do; and the said Andrew Kennedy, his executors, administrators, and assigns, shall teach or cause to be taught and instructed, the said apprentice, in the art, trade and mystery of a printer; and shall find and provide for the said apprentice sufficient meat, drink, working and lodging, during the said term, and at the expiration of each year, shall and will give to him the said apprentice twenty dollars, to provide the said apprentice with clothing."
Simon Cameron (Seal).
Cohn Cameron (Seal).
Andrew Kennedy (Seal).
Bound before me, one of the Justices of the county of Northumberland, Pennsylvania.
May 14, 1816.
By the failure of his master he was thrown out of employment. He made his way by river-boat and on foot to Harrisburg, where he secured a situation in the printing office of James Peacock, then editor of the Republican, with whom he remained until he reached his majority. In January, 1821, he went to Doylestown, Pennsylvania, and published the Bucks County Messenger until March of that year, when in company with the publisher of the Doylestown Democrat, the two papers were merged into the Bucks County Democrat, which publication continued until 1821. The succeeding winter Mr. Cameron spent on the National Intelligence, at Washington, D. C., as a journeyman printer. The spring of 1822 found him in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in partnership with Charles Mowry in the publication of the Pennsylvania Intelligence, then the organ of the Democratic party at the state capital. He was elected as one of the state printers, holding such position for seven years. Upon ceasing to be a state printer he was appointed adjutantgeneral of Pennsylvania by Governor Shulze, an early friend of his.
He took great interest in internal improvements in the Commonwealth, and had large contracts in the construction of the Pennsylvania canal. In 1826 he began the construction of the portion between Harrisburg and Sunbury, and later held the contracts for two other sections farther west. Subsequently he built a canal from Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana, to New Orleans, one of the greatest engineering undertakings of the times. He employed twelve hundred men in Philadelphia and sent them by sea to New Orleans, while he with his engineers and tools went down the river from Pittsburg.
At the request of Major Eaton, secretary of war, he returned to Pennsylvania to organize a delegation to the National Convention at Baltimore, in the interest of Martin Van Buren for the vice-presidency. General Cameron repeated the summons. This was the first National Convention ever held in the United States. Mr. Cameron was tendered the chairmanship, but declined and a North Carolinan was selected.. After the convention he was appointed a visitor to West Point by General Jackson, and at that time made his first trip to New England. He went with a brother of Bishop Potter, of Pennsylvania, and thoroughly inspected the paper mills and other manufactures of that section.
In the winter of 1832 the legislature chartered the bank at Middletown, Pennsylvania, and he was made cashier. He held that office twenty-five years and the bank was highly prosperous, but the work was too limited for his great capacity and he branched into other operations.. He projected and created the railroad from Middletown to Lancaster, from Harrisburg to Sunbury, from Harrisburg to Lebanon, and aided in the building of the Cumberland Valley line. The Northern Central railroad from Harrisburg to Baltimore was captured by him from Baltimore interests and made a Pennsylvania institution. At one time he was president of no less than four great corporations, operating within a few miles of his birthplace.
In 1838 he, with James Murray, was appointed commissioners by President Van Buren to settle the Indian claims with the Winnebagos which called for the adjustment of millions of dollars worth of property. In 1845, when James K. Polk tendered the state department to James Buchanan and that gentleman resigned his seat as United States senator, Mr. Cameron, although a Democrat, was selected by the Whig party, which favored a protective policy in tariff matters as their representative. The result was that he became the nominee of the Whigs, Americans, and Tariff Democrats and was elected to the United States senate. From March 4, 1845, to March 4, 1849, he served his state in the United States senate faithfully and well. In the winter of 1857, the Whigs, native Americans and Tariff men joined in the legislature and selected him as United States senator, and on account of his industrial principles he was elected. This brought Mr. Cameron prominently before the people of the country again. In the early campaign of 1860 he was put forward as a candidate for the presidency, and his name early associated with that of Lincoln, on the National ticket.
General Cameron's real career began as a national statesman, at the Chicago convention, when the Republican party was truly crystalized. He was accounted a leader in Republican ranks. When Mr. Lincoln was nominated, Mr. Cameron made himself felt in such a manner that he soon won the confidence of the President, and when the election battle was over Mr. Lincoln at once turned to Mr. Cameron for counsel. Had it not been for intrigues Lincoln would have given him first place in his cabinet, but as it was he made him his secretary of war. In this office he stood alone in the cabinet as the one believing the oncoming war to be no easy matter to subdue. Lincoln seemed his only friend, but he went about supplying the army and arsenals with munitions of war. A great pressure was brought to bear on the president, and hence Mr. Cameron agreed to resign, which he did January 11, 1862. He ever had Lincoln's utmost confidence, and by him was made minister for the most important diplomatic mission in his gift. Lincoln further allowed him to name his successor, which no retiring cabinet officer ever did before or since. As minister to Russia he handled relations with the Czar in the most sagacious and prudent manner. , He frustrated the English and French intrigue, in the interest of the Southern Confederacy in the United States. To General Cameron must be given all the real political credit due any one for securing the second nomination of Mr. Lincoln, for had it not been that Mr. Cameron submitted resolutions in both branches of the Pennsylvania legislature, where every Republican member signed them, he could not have been re-elected.
In 1864-66 General Cameron took a very active part in Pennsylvania politics. He was the one leader of the Republican party who could. really rally it in despondency and hold it to its pledges. In 1866 he was re-elected to the United States senate, a position held by him a longer term of years than any previous senator from Pennsylvania. From the time he entered the senate until he resigned his seat, in 1877, he was a recognized leader and chairman of the committee on foreign relations. He encouraged the building of the Union Pacific Railroad, supported the opening up of public lands to homesteaders and lost no opportunity to advocate the organizations of new states. He made history, as few statesmen in this country created it, by producing results in the practical walks of life.
General Cameron married Margaret Brua, daughter of Peter Brua and wife, of Harrisburg. To them were born: Rachel, married Judge Burnside. Brua. Margaret, married Richard J. Haldman. James Donald. Virginia, married Wayne MacVeagh. Mr. Cameron died at the ripe old age of ninety years, June, 1889, his faculties perfect until the last.
Colonel James Cameron, born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, March, 1801, accompanied his parents in 1801 to Sunbury and from thence to Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. He learned the blacksmith's trade and later mastered the art of printing and became an editor. He published the Political Sentinel, at Lancaster, Pennsylvania; subsequently studied law and was admitted to the bar August 4, 1851, in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania. He was superintendent of the Philadelphia and Columbia railway for some years, and finally became an extensive farmer, in which he was successful. When the civil war broke out in 1861, he was stationed at Sunbury, Pennsylvania, as superintendent of the Northern Central railway, but seeing his duty in the field for the Union cause, he entered as colonel of the 79th Regiment, Fourth Brigade, First Division, New York militia, known as "Cameron's Highlanders." He fell leading a gallant charge at the first battle of Bull Run, July 21, 1861. He was the first officer of his rank in the Union army and the first officer from Pennsylvania soil to fall in the rebellion.
( V) James Donald Cameron, eldest son of General Simon and Margaret (Brua) Cameron, was born in Middletown, Pennsylvania, May 14, 1833. He had the advantages of a good early education and prepared for college, entering Princeton, from which celebrated institution he graduated in 1852. Soon thereafter he became cashier in the Middletown Bank (now National Bank), of which he subsequently became cashier and president. He was president of the Northern Central railroad from 1863 to 1864, when that road was brought under the control of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, when he was succeeded by Colonel Thomas Scott. While connected with the Northern Central, in the time of the rebellion, Mr. Cameron was of great service to the government. Through his nfluence,. after the war, this road was extended to Elmira, New York.
Although ever active in politics Mr. Cameron never held office until 1876. He had been a delegate to the National convention at Chicago in 1868, and a prominent member of the state convention held at Harrisburg in 1876, and by it was made chairman of the Pennsylvania delegation to the National Republican Convention at Cincinnati, Ohio, in June of that year. May 22, 1876, President U. S. Grant nominated him secretary of war, the senate promptly confirming it. The legislature of Pennsylvania elected him United States senator to fill the vacancy caused by his father's resignation. He was re-elected in 1879 for the term ending in 1885, was again re-elected, also in 1891 to serve until 1899. Mr. Cameron was a delegate to the Republican National Convention in 188o, and was that year chairman of the National Republican Committee, succeeding the late Senator Chandler. In the fifty-second congress Mr. Cameron was chairman of the senate committee on naval affairs, also on the military committee. He has been actively.identified with various coal, iron and manufacturing industries of the great Keystone state.
Mr. Cameron married (first) Mary McCormick, daughter of James and Eliza (Buehler) McCormick, of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, who was the mother of all his children. For his second wife he married Ellen Sherman, daughter of Judge Sherman, of Cleveland, Ohio.
( V) William Brua Cameron, son of General Simon and Margaret (Brua) Cameron, was born August I, 1826, at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He obtained a classical education, graduating from Princeton College in 1847. He studied law with James McCormick and was admitted to the bar in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, January 23, 1849. He located at Middletown, Pennsylvania, where he conducted business for his father. May 1, 1861, he was appointed major and paymaster in the United States army, retiring November 4, 1863, on account of ill health. He died at Middletown, January 13, 1864, and is buried at that place.
Mr. Cameron married. October 18, 1852, Elizabeth Bastedo, daughter of Gilbert and Marian Bastedo, of Canada. Mrs. Cameron, while visiting at her old Canada home, died in 1870. To them were born : Marian Bastudo, Simon Brua and Janet.
Benjamin Franklin Meyers (Page 5-7)
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN MEYERS, the well known editor, lawyer, politician, author and successful business man, is a descendant of a family who originally came from Germany, from which country such numbers of our enterprising and progressive citizens trace their ancestry. His grandmother on the father's side, however, was the daughter of a North of Ireland man.
Jacob Meyers, great-grandfather of Benjamin F. Meyers, was a native of Lancaster, now Lebanon county, Pennsylvania, and about 1785 purchased a tract of wild and unsettled land in . the region of what is now the borough of Meyersdale, Somerset county. He did not settle here, but sent his sonsChristian, Jacob, Henry and Johnto look after the property. All these sons settled on farms cleared from this purchase.
John Meyers, grandfather of Benjamin F. Meyers, was a farmer and miller, which occupations he followed throughout the active years of his .life. He married a Miss Dickey, whose father came from the North of Ireland, and they reared a large family, among whom was a son named Michael. D.
Michael D. Meyers, father of Benjamin F. Meyers, was born in 1809, in Somerset
county, Pentaylvania, and died in 1867. He was educated in the township schools,
and followed the occupation of farmer, from which he derived a comfortable
livelihood. He attended the Reformed church, and in politics was first a
Whig and later a Democrat. He married, in 1832, Sarah Schaff, born 1811,
died 1886, a member for many years of the Reformed church, and a descendant
of John Schaff, the original owner of large tracts of land in Somerset county,
who came from the Palatinate, Germany. Their children were: Benjamin
Franklin, of whom later. Carolyn, deceased, was the wife of Josiah Humbert,
of Somerset county. William Henry Harrison, died at the age of five years.
Uriah, died at the age of two years. James M., still living on the home farm
near Gebhart, Pennsylvania; he married Lucinda Sanner and they reared a large
Benjamin F. Meyers was born on the home farm in Milford township, Somerset county, Pennsylvania, July 6, 1833. He attended the schools of New Centreville, Somerset Academy, Joseph J. Stutzman, principal, and in 1851 entered Jefferson College at Canonsburg, Pennsylvania. After two years of study in that institution he left to enter Yale College, but infirm health prevented him from becoming a student thereof. He had previously taught in the county schools, namely: New Centreville, where he was first a pupil ; a boys' school in Somerset, in 1853, having among his pupils such notable characters as George F. Baer, president of the Reading railroad ; Rear Admiral Picking, U. S. N.; Major John R. Edie, U. S. A., and , also a select school in Somerset. He read law in the office of Gen. William H. Koontz and was admitted to the Somerset county bar at the November term, 1855. He formed a partnership with Daniel Weyand and conducted business under the firm name of Weyand & Meyers.
Before admission to the bar and while yet a minor, Benjamin F. Meyers spent a year in Illinois, engaged in journalism, and met Lincoln, Douglass and other eminent men. In August, 1857, he removed to Bedford, Bedford county, Pennsylvania, and became editor of the Bedford Gazette. He was also admitted to the Bedford county bar and practiced his profession. In 1868 he became editor of the Harrisburg Daily and Weekly Patriot, which he made the leading Democratic organ of the state. He edited both papers until 1873, when he sold the Gazette, removed to Harrisburg and devoted his energies to the Patriot. In 1891 he disposed of the Patriot and purchased the Star-Independent, a consolidation of two Harrisburg papersthe Star and the Independent and has been the owner and editor ever since. (See The Press Vol. I). In 1875-76 was President of Pennsylvania Exchange Association.
In politics Mr. Meyers is a Democrat, and has been honored with many important offices. In 1863 he was elected a member of the general assembly from Bedford county. That year the state was redistricted and his district made solidly Republican. Notwithstanding this Mr. Meyers was re-elected, but through some complications with the return of the army vote he was refused his seat by a strictly caucus action of the party to which he was opposed. In 1870 he was a candidate for congress from the sixteenth Pennsylvania district, comprising the counties of Adams, Bedford, Franklin, Fulton and Somerset. He was elected in spite of an adverse political majority of upwards of two thousand, and became a matter of the forty-second congress. In 1872 he was a candidate for e-election, but the nomination of Horace Greeley, as the Democratic candidate for president so weighted down the party that the Democracy was everywhere defeated; Mr. Meyers, although unanimously renominated, was beaten by about fourteen hundred, running about six hundred ahead of his party ticket. In 1895 he was offered as a sacrifice to the overwhelming Republican majority of Pennsylvania. In the face of certain defeat, his loyalty to his party was such that he consented to be its candidate for state treasurer. The appointive offices held by Mr. Meyers were postmaster of Harrisburg, appointed by President Cleveland in 1887, held office five years, three of which were under President Harrison, and state printer three years, (under contract) 1874 to 1877. In 1864 he was delegate to the national convention that nominated General McClellan; in 1880 district delegate to national convention that nominated General Hancock; in 1884 delegate at large to national convention that nominated Grover Cleveland; in 1896 delegate at large to national convention that nominated William J. Bryan ; in 1904 district delegate to national convention that nominated Alton B. Parker. Mr. Meyers is treasurer of the Democratic state committee and has held the office three terms.
Mr. Meyers has been actively and prominently identified with other business enterprises, as follows: Wilkes-Barre Electric Street Railway system, of which he was the founder; Citizens' Passenger Railway Company of Harrisburg, of which he is president; Central Pennsylvania Traction Company of Harrisburg, of which he is vice-president; Columbia and Montour Electric Railway Company, of which he is president; Carlisle and Mt. Holly Railway Company, of which he is president; Brelsford Packing and Storage Company of Harrisburg, of which he is president; and the United Telephone Company, a large company conducting business in Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland and Virginia, with principal offices in Philadelphia, of which he is a director. Mr. Meyers is a member and warden of St. Stephen's (Episcopal) church of Harrisburg; was for years a member of the Board of Missions, Diocese of Central Pennsylvania, and at present is a member of the standing committee of the Diocese of Harrisburg. He is a thirty-second degree Mason, Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite. He was initiated into the mysteries of Freemasonry at Bedford in 1866, and is a past master of that lodge. His chapter degrees were conferred by Standing Stone Chapter, R. A. M., Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. The remaining degrees of the Scottish Rite were conferred by the various bodies of Harrisburg Consistory. He is a member of Zembo Temple, A. A. 0. N. M. S. and of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, both of Harrisburg. Notwithstanding, his business and political successes, Mr. Meyers' tastes are decidedly literary. He has written much for papers and periodicals, mostly under a non de plume, and is the author of a volume entitled "A Drama of Ambition" and other pieces in verse. He has other literary work in course of preparation.\
Mr. Meyers married, April 4, 1854, Susan C. Koontz, born July 2, 1833, daughter of Jacob Koontz, and sister of General William H. Koontz (see Koontz ancestry). Mrs. Meyers was educated in the Somerset public and private schools, and is a member of the Protestant Episcopal church. The children of this marriage were:
William H. Egle (Page 7-9)
WILLIAM H. EGLE, M. D. Among the highly respected, widely known men of Pennsylvania from 1830 to 1901 was Dr. William Henry Egle, physician, author, journalist, soldier and philanthropist, who was born at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, September 17, 1830, the son of John and Elizabeth (Von Treupel) Egle, both natives of Pennsylvania. Dr. Egle was fifth in line of descent from the first emigrant ancestor, Marcus Egle, who settled in Pennsylvania, in 1740, coming on the one side from the Canton of Zurich, Switzerland, and on the other from Palatinate, Germany. His great-great-grandfather was an officer in the French and Indian war; his paternal grand and great-grandfather served in the revolutionary conflict, while his grandfather served in 1812-14 in the war of those years. His father died when he was but four years of age and he then went to live with his paternal grandmother, to whom he always attributed his success in life, by reason of her careful training in childhood and youth. He was educated in the common schools of Harrisburg, and for two years attended the Harrisburg Military Institute, under Captain Alden Patridge, where he pursued the study of classics and higher mathematics. Not being financially able to attend college he decided to learn the art of printing, and for this purpose pent three years in the office of the Pennsylvania Telegraph, of which for most of this period he was foreman. Subsequently he was made state printer.
In 1853, having been a frequent correspondent to the monthly magazines, he undertook the editorship of the Literary Companion, which was discontinued at the end of six months, at the same time editing the Daily Times. which was afterwards merged into one of the other newspaper ventures of Harrisburg. In 1854 he began the study of medicine with Dr. Charles C. Bombaugh, of Harrisburg, during a portion of which period and the following year he was an assistant teacher in the boys' schools of the then north ward, afterwards mailing clerk in the postoffice under Messrs. Brant and Porter. In the fall of 1857 he resigned his position and entered the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, from which institution he graduated in Ntarch. 1859. The same year he located at Harrisburg, and was in the practice of his profession there when, in 1862, after the battles of Chantilly and the second Bull Run, he was telegraphed by Adjutant-General Russell. of Pennsylvania, to go to Washington to assist in the care of the wounded, which duty he performed. In September of that year he commissioned assistant surgeon of the Ninety-sixth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers, and in the summer of 1863 surgeon of the Forty-seventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Militia, At the close of service with the latter comand he resumed his practice. but afterwards, at the earnest solicitation of Adjutant-General Thomas, of the United States army, he accepted the appointment by President Lincoln as surgeon of volunteers, and was ordered to Camp Nelson, Kcn.ucky, to examine the troops for the United States regiments then organizing in that state. He was subsequently detailed with the cavalry battalion under Colonel James Brisbin, now of the United States army, thence ordered to the Department of the James under General Butler. and assigned to the Twenty-fifth Army Corps. During the Appomattox campaign he was chief executive medical officer of General Birney's division, Twenty-fourth Army Corps, and upon the return from that campaign was ordered to the Rio Grande with General Jackson's division, Twenty-fifth Army Corps, as its chief medical officer. While at Roma he was repeatedly sent for by General Canales, of the Liberal army of Mexico, for consultation, and at the earnest request of Don. Flores, the alcalde of the city of Mier, performed several difficult operations with such success that during the further residence on the Rio Grande patients were brought to him from places as remote as Monterey and San Luis Potosi.
In December, 1865, he resigned the service and returned home, when for a brief period he partially resumed the practice of his profession. Turning his attention to historic research, he commenced the preparation of his "History of Pennsylvania," which was published in 1876; at the same time, in connection with Hon. John Blair Linn, he edited twelve volumes of the second series of the Pennsylvania Archives. Apart from these he published the following: "Poems in 1848," "Parson Elder," a Biography, "Colonel Timothy Green," "The Dixons of Dixon's Ford," "Historical Review of Dauphin County," "Notes and Queries, Historical and Genealogical, first and second series, 1879-82," "History of the Counties of Dauphin and Lebanon in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania," 1883. In 1877, in consideration of his researches into the history of Pennsylvania, Lafayette College conferred upon him the honorary degree of Master of Arts. Upon the organization of the National Guard of Pennsylvania, in 1870, Dr. Egle was appointed surgeon-in-chief of the Fifth Division with the rank of Lieutenant-colonel, and subsequently in the consolidation of the commands transferred to surgeon of the Eighth Regiment, and is the senior medical officer in the National Guard of Pennsylvania. He was honored by election as corresponding member of a number of historical societies in America and England.
Dr. Egle married, in 1860, Eliza White Beatty, daughter of George Beatty, of Harrisburg, and their children were: Beverly Waugh (d. s. p.), Sarah Beatty and Catharine Irwin.
Dr. Egle died February 19, 1901, at his home on North Second street in the city of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, after a brief illnessfirst taken ill with la grippeand later with pneumonia. His funeral occurred on Washington's birthday, from St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, of which he had been a member many years. He had been the president of the Y. M. C. A. and a member of that society since 1854. These societies together with the Dauphin County Historical Society, and attachees of the State Library of which he had been librarian since 1887, all deeply mourned his death. Among the societies to which Dr. Egle belonged was the Loyal Legion, Society of the Army of the Potomac, Grand Army of the Republic, and Masonic order. He was the first master of Robert Burns Masonic Lodge, at Harrisburg, and had attained the thirty-second degree in Masonry. But few brighter, nobler types of manhood have ever adorned the generations of men in the Keystone State.
WILLIAM JENNINGS, a representative of the manufacturing interests of Harrisburg, descends in the fourth generation from Captain Jesse Jennings, a veteran of the war of 1812-14. He is a grandson of William Jennings, a plow manufacturer of Harrisburg, and a son of Colonel William Wesley Jennings, a prominent business man of Harrisburg, and an illustrious soldier of the great civil war.
William Jennings (grandfather) was born September 23, 1807, died October 6, 1875. About 1824 he.took up his residence in Harrisburg, established a large factory and was very successful in his business operations. He married Elmina Elizabeth Boas; born July 7, 1813, died October to, 1884, daughter of Frederick and Elizabeth (Krause) Boas, the former named a dealer in china and queensware. The children . born to Mr. and Mrs. Jennings were as follows: I. Elmer F., born May I I, 1833, died December 22, 1876. He married Elizabeth: Pritchard, of Germantown, Pennsylvania. .In 1862 he enlisted as a soldier in the nine months service, and served until the close of the war; he was a captain of one of the companies in the Twelfth Pennsylvania Regiment of Volunteers; he was a brave soldier, participating in many battles and enduring many hardships. 2. William Wesley, born July 22, 1838, see forward. 3. Elizabeth Martha, born Septemebr 9, 1843, married Benjamin f`,. Scheffer, a sketch of whom is found elsewhere in this work. 4. Elmina R., born January 8, 1845, died May 17, 1846. 5. Mary E., born September 26, 1847, died January 16, 1857. 6. Fanny, born March 9, 1854, died December 23, 1869.
Colonel William Wesley Jennings, second son of William and Elmina E. (Boas) Jennings, was born at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, July 22, 1838. Ile was educated in the public schools of that city. At the age of fifteen years he entered his father's foundry and learned the trade of a moulder, becoming well skilled in the art of iron making. He followed his trade until 186o, when he purchased his father's plant and successfully engaged in the iron business on his own account, continuing until 1877. Mr. Jennings was active in the organization of the Harrisburg board of trade and was its first president. In 1880 he was elected president of the First National Bank of Harrisburg, which position he held until his death. He was president of the Commonwealth Guarantee Trust and Safe Deposit Company (now the Common-wealth Trust Company) ; was president of the Harrisburg Steam Heat and Power Company; a director of the Cumberland Valley Railroad Company, and interested in other large corporations.
William W. Jennings distinguished himself during the civil war as a volunteer soldier and officer. When President Lincoln called for men he enlisted as a private in the "Lochiel Greys.'' He was chosen first lieutenant of his company and served as such through the three months campaign of 1861, with the Twenty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers. Upon the return from the front Lieutenant Jennings was tendered by the governor of Pennsylvania the position of past adjutant and drill master at Camp Curtin, which appointment he accepted and filled until .July, 1862. He was anxious, however, to be actively engaged on the field, so applied for and obtained permission to raise a regiment, and the following month found him at the point in command of the One Hundred and Twenty-seventh Pennsylvania Regiment, wearing the insignia of colonel. He was in command of this regiment until the expiration of his term of service, May, 1863. Colonel Jennings then returned to private life, but during General Lee's invasion of Pennsylvania, he was again called to the field and placed in command of the Twenty-sixth Emergency Regiment.
Politically Colonel Jennings was a Republican. He held numerous offices, among which was that of sheriff of Dauphin county, serving from 1864 to 1856 and from 1876 to 1879. In the capacity of sheriff, on the never-to-be-forgotten night of July 23, 1877, when an armed mob had taken possession of the city of Harrisburg, Colonel Jennings called to his aid men who had confidence in his ability and judgment and inspired them to suppress the deadly riot, and soon peace and order was restored in the city. He was an active and honored member of Robert Burns Lodge, No. 464, Free and Accepted Masons, at Harrisburg, and also of Pilgrim Commandery, Knights Templar. He was one of the organizers of Post No. 58, Grand Army of the Republic, held all the offices in the gift of the organization, and was an enthusiastic supporter of all its purposes. Colonel Jennings stood without a superior as a citizen; as a soldier and officer he performed his duty as he saw the-right; as a Christian and firm believer in his faith he was loyally faithful. He was an excellent financier, and not a few of the business men of today in Harrisburg owe their success and prosperity to timely assistance and advice from him when they most needed it. The needy poor ever found in him a friend.
Colonel Jennings married, December 17, 1861, Emma J. Van Horn, daughter of William and Jane (Hutton) Van Horn, the former of whom was born December 8, 1809, died October 2, 1859, and the latter was born in 1814, at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, died in April, 1849, aged thirty-five years. Mr. and Mrs. Van Horn were united in marriage in 1839. The children of Colonel and Igrs. Jennings are: Frederick B., who died at the age of seven years. Mary. William, of whom more will be said. Fanny. married Dr. George G. Ross, of Philadelphia. Harry, married Mary Saylor, of Allentown, Pennsylvania.
One possessing the sterling traits of character of Colonel Jennings could not fail to draw merited admiration front a large circle of inen of a high type. He had not yet reached his majority when he wore the uniform of a colonel and was the commander of a gallant regiment of men. He was a man among men and hence was by all beloved, both as leader and comrade. His was a genial nature, generous and broad-minded. He had no petty traits of character to mar his manhood, but was frank and open-hearted arid free from guile. He died February 28, 1894.
William Jennings, son of Colonel William W. and Emily Jane (Van Horn) Jennings, was born in the city of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, August 18, 1868. His education was obtained in the public schools of his native city and Lehigh University. After completing his education he was engaged as a moulder and machinist for one year, and in 1889 was appointed secretary and treasurer of the Harrisburg Steam Heat and Power Company, of which corporation he became the president in May, 1894, and which he is guiding to success. He is also the treasurer of the Jackson Manufacturing Company, as well as of several electric railway lines in both Pennsylvania and Maryland. In politics Mr. Jennings is a Republican; he served as councilman in the city of Harrisburg from 1900 to 1904, and at the present time (1907) is president of the board of public works. He is a member of Robert Burns Lodge, No. 464, Free and Accepted Masons, at Harrisburg.
William Jennings married, October 13, 1892, J. Belle West, daughter of Rev. William A. and Jennie West. Their children are: Dorothy, born December 2, 1893, died March 28, 1898. William W., born Deccmher 28. 1896. Ross S., born April 18, 1898. Christian L., born April 12, 1900. Edward, born February 28, 1901. The family are attendants of the Presbyterian church.
John N. Speel (Pages 11-12)
JOHN N. SPEEL, in charge of the Navy Pay Office at Washington, D. C., is a native of Harrisburg, Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, born July 30th, 1853, son of John L. and Margaret (Ramsey) Speel, and grandson (on the paternal side) of George Spiel, who came to this country in 1769 from Germany, settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was a merchant, took part in the revolutionary war, and married Mary Lauch at Philadelphia, and (on the maternal side) of Thomas Ramsey, a Scotch-Irishman, who with his father came to this country in 1774, and took part in the war of 1812 as a captain. Alexander Ramsey, son of Thomas Ramsey, and uncle of John N. Speel, was the war governor of Minnesota, and afterwards United States senator from that state for twelve years and secretary of war during the administration of President Hayes.
John L. Speel (father) was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1814. He was educated in the schools of his native city. In 1836 he moved to Harrisburg, and for many years and up to the time of his death was a successful merchant. He was twice elected county treasurer of Dauphin county, and no man was better known or more popular with the people of that part of the state than he. He was a christian gentlenian, and loved by all those who had the pleasure of his acquaintance.
John N. Speel received a scientific education at Harrisburg and Philadelphia. He was employed on the Pennsylvania canal and West Wisconsin railroad as assistant civil engineer, entered the navy as an assistant paymaster in July, 1875, was promoted to passed assistant in 1879, to paymaster in 1891, pay inspector in 1901, and to pay director in 1903. He performed duty on most all the foreign stations, and his last duty was as fleet paymaster at the European station. He was general storekeeper at the Navy Yard, Brooklyn, New York, four years, and is now (1907) in charge of the navy pay office as aforementioned. He is a member of the Sons of the American Revolution, the Union League Club of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Army and Navy Club of Washington, also Army and Navy Club of New York, and the New York Yacht Club.
August R. Shellenberger (Page 12-13)
AUGUSTUS R. SHELLENBERGER, president of the Pennsylvania Telephone Company, at Harrisburg, is a man widely known and duly appreciated by his fellow citizens. He was horn in the city of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, January 15, 1836, son of Daniel and Catherine Ann (Fetzaberger) Shellenberger. The paternal grandparents, Christian and Margaret . Shellenberger, were residents of Lebanon county, Pennsylvania.
Daniel Shellenberger, the father, was born February 8, 1811, in East Hanover, and died at Harrisburg, April 29, 1882. He was reared in Hanover township, Lebanon county, and commenced to learn the trade of tailor in 1825. Subsequently he worked at his trade at Palmyra, and about 1830 came to Harrisburg, where he remained a short time and then moved to Ohio, in which state he remained a short period, but returned to Harrisburg, where he engaged in the merchant tailoring business on Front street. About 1840 he moved to Market Square and enlarged his business considerably. He remained there until his death, in 1882, being then among-the oldest business men of the city, and one who upon thorough business principles, had built up a prosperous business; he was a highly esteemed citizen.
He married Catherine Ann Fetzaberger, born July 18, 1810, and died at Harrisburg, April 6, 1865. She was the daughter of Henry and Esther (Peipher) Fetzaberger, of Lebanon county, Pennsylvania. To Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Shelledberger were horn the following children: 1. Henry, born April 17, 1834, married Wilhelmina Nell. He was educated at the public schools of Harrisburg, and graduated from the Pennsylvania College at Gettysburg in 1855, after which for a time he was an assistant instructor at the Harrisburg Academy, but later was elected principal of the South ward high school. About 1860 he engaged in mercantile pursuits, continuing until 1868. He had already been a student of the law and at this date returned to that profession, completing his studies under the late John C. Kunkle. He was admitted to the Dauphin county bar in 1868; later was elected city solicitor, serving with much credit to himself and the legal fraternity. He died August 22, 1883. 2. Augustus R., born January 15, IF36; see forward. 3. Mary Ann, born November 4,, 1837, married Horace Clute, resides at Harrisburg. 4. Daniel H., born June 25, 1840, died November 15, 1841. 5. Esther Ann, born March 15, 1842, married Theodore Kline, of Harrisburg. 6. Emma Catherine, born December 14, 1844, died July 1, 1848. 7. Thomas, born August 25, 1846, died September 26, 1846. 8. Ellen Elizabeth, born February 8, 1849, married William Crocker, of Philadelphia.. 9. Edwin D., born September 25,1851.
Augustus R. Shellenberger was reared and educated in the city of Harrisburg.He attended the old Harrisburg Academy, and after finishing his schooling engaged in business with his father, Daniel Shellenberger, but subsequently formed a partnership with his brother Henry, and conducted a clothing and gentlemen's furnishing store, from 1863 to 1866; he then sold out to his brother and led a retired life for two years, after which he purchased his brother Henry's business, which he conducted until 1873, then sold out. From that date to 1882 he was variously engaged; he then became interested in the Telephone Company during its organization and was elected director. Later he was elected vice-president, serving until the death of the president, Colonel Francis Jordan, when he was made president of the company, which position he still holds and fills to the entire satisfaction of the corporation and the public patrons. It requires a great amount of executive ability to manage the affairs of so great a system, which touches almost every branch and avenue of trade and commerce, but Mr. Shellenberger has proven himself equal to every emergency. He is one of the trustees of the City Public Library at Harrisburg; also a director in the Harrisburg Trust Company. Politically he is a staunch supporter of the principles of the Republican party.
He married, January 15, 1863, Fanny P. Smith, of Harrisburg, who was educated at the public schools and at boarding schools. Her father, now deceased, was David Smith, and her another was Eleanor Smith. The father was for many years a clerk in the Harrisburg postoffice, and a highly respected citizen. Mr. and Mrs. Shellenberger have one child, Bertha E., born at Harrisburg, December 25, 1863; she was educated at thepublic and private schools; she married Henry C. Todd, an attorney of Philadelphia.
John Henry Weis(Page 13-15)
JUDGE JOHN HENRY WEISS, deceased, was a man who held a high place in the legal fraternity of Pennsylvania. He was also possessed of an unusually well rounded Christian character, and much beloved by all with whom he was acquainted in Dauphin and adjoining counties. He descended through the following line of ancestry:
(I) Henry Weiss, the great-grandfather, was doubtless the first of the family to emigrate to this country. The family came from Switzerland, and the original deed for land granted to them in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, is now on file at the State Historical Society at Philadelphia. Henry Weiss married a Miss Stoner . from near Campbellstown. It is certain that they had at least two sons, one named Jacob and one who died in early life.
(II) Jacob Weiss, son of Henry Weiss, was born about 1777, and when about twenty years of age married Veronica Graybill, near Schaefferstown, Pennsylvania. She was the youngest of five daughters, and one son. Her father's home was surrounded by a stockade, and during the 'Indian troubles through the Tillpenhocken country the neighbors came to their place for protection. To Jacob Weiss and wife were born three sons and six daughters. The sons were: Henry, John (Judge Weiss's father), and Jacob. The daughters.were: Mary, married Samuel Miller; Betsey, married David Smith, and resided at Cornwall ; Catharine, married Peter Sheetz and lived in Reading; Mollie, married Jacob Stauffer and lived near Derry; Susanna, married Daniel Bomberger, and lives at Waterloo, Iowa, now (1906) aged eightyseven years, and the only one of the family now living. The Weiss family previous to the subject's generation were all sturdy farmers, and were originally of the Moravian faith. They were pious and industrious people, who succeeded in life, filling well the part they bore in the development of the state of Pennsylvania.
(III) John Weiss, son of Jacob and Veronica (Graybill) Weiss, was born about 1820, and remained on the old Weiss homestead, assisting his father until about the time of his marriage, in 1839, to Martha Strickler, born near Mt. Joy, Pennsylvania, in 1812. Her father was Henry Strickler, and her mother was Nancy (Coble) Strickler, from Donegal and of Scotch descent. To them were born two childrenNancy and David Strickler.
(IV) John H. Weiss, sixteenth president judge of the courts of Dauphin county, was the eldest son of John and Martha (Strickler) Weiss, and was born in Schaefferstown, Lebanon county, Pennsylvania, February 23, 1840. His early years were passed at farm labor with his parents who, like all the generations of the Weiss family in this country, were sturdy farmers. He began his education at the common schools of his native neighborhood, continued at the Millersville State Normal School, completing as a graduate of Jefferson (now Washington and Jefferson) College in 1863. He gained high honors in these institutions of learning, and began the study of law the same year of his graduation from college. He began in 1863 in the office of Hon. David Mumma, pursuing his studies with such diligence and understanding that he was enabled to be admitted to the bar, December 5, 1865, as an attorney-at-law. He soon gained a paying clientage, and kept increasing in strength and popularity until he was elevated to the judgeship in 1899, having been appointed March 14th of that year to take the vacancy made by Judge McPherson, who had been called to the United States court. He was unanimously supported by the bar arid elected as judge in November following. He continued to serve as an additional law judge until the death of Judge Simonton, when he was made president judge, serving until his death.
Politically Judge Weiss was a supporter of the Republican party, and early in his career took a lively interest in political matters. For almost a quarter of a century he served as county committee chairman. He conducted many stirring political campaigns, yet so fair and wise were his deliberations and speeches that he won the esteem of his own and the opposing party. For many years he was a member of the examining board for admission to the bar, hence came in contact with many prospective lawyers, who ever found in him a true friend and adviser. He was of the Presbyterian faith and attended that church, being firm in his faith and belief in the Scriptures, with which he had been a student from early childhood, having pious and devout Christian parents. The charms of scholarship and the grace of culture adorned him, and until the end of life he delighted in literature, painting, and in all the arts which refine life and ennoble the soul.
In his domestic relations he was fortunate and supremely happy in his choice of a life companion. In 1870 he married Mary Virginia, daughter of the late John E. Fox, of Philadelphia, and for years was well able to cultivate his taste for literature and art. To Mr. and Mrs. Weiss was born two sons: John Fox, the present district attorney of Dauphin county, and George Francis, deceased.
The date of Mr. Weiss' death was do the morning of the 22nd day of November, 1905, at his home in Harrisburg, in the sixty-fifth year of his age. The funeral was in charge of his pastor, Rev. J. Ritchie Smith, of Market Square Presbyterian Church. The resolutions passed by the bench and bar of Dauphin county, the universal grief manifested at his death by all classes of citizens, were but true indexes of the high esteem with which he , was held. John Fox Weiss, son of Judge John H. Weiss, was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, January 4, 1873. He attended school until he was about fifteen years of age, when he entered the Pennsylvania Military Academy at Chester, Pennsylvania, where he prepared for college. In September, 1891, Mr. Weiss entered the freshman class of Princeton College, and was a student there when that institution became a university. He was graduated from the University in June, 1895. During his college course he was elected historian of the class of 1895, and held the office until graduation. In the autumn of 1895 he entered the law office of Hon. Samuel J. M. McCarrell as a law student. He remained undo him until March 21, 1898, when he was admitted to the Dauphin county bar, since which time he has been in active practice. In the summer of 1899 he was elected chairman of the Republican committee of Dauphin' county, which position he has been elected to each year since. Subsequently he was elected to the important office of district attorney, which position of trust he is now ably filling.
Edward James Stackpole (Page 15-20)
EDWARD JAMES STACKPOLE, present editor and chief owner of the Harrisburg Daily Telegraph, born January 18, 1861, at McVeytown, Mifflin county, Pennsylvania, comes of the following ancestry:
The name was originally spelled "Stackpool" and referred to "Stack Rock" laid down on the chart of government surveys, near the mouth of a wide estuary, or pool, sometimes called Broadhaven. This rock was a columnar mass of limestone, on the southern shore of Pembrokeshire, a western county in the southwest part of Wales.
(I) The first person of this name on American soil was James Stackpole, who paid taxes at Dover, New Hampshire, and vicinity, in April, 1680 to the amount of "two shillings and one penny." He, with many others, petitioned King Charles II, asking for abatement of taxes. He was born 1652 and died 1736. At one time he lived at York, Maine, as appears from the records of that place, July 4, 1693, reading as follows: "Lycence is Granted to James Stagpole of barwick, to sell by retaile beere, Cyder, rum, provisions and lodgings, he given ten pounds bonds to their Maites to observe the laws in that case provided." This license was renewed annually up to 1698, and his place was called a "publick house of entertainment." He conducted an orderly place, but on one occasion was fined twenty shillings and admonished, yet license was renewed. Perhaps this admonition caused him to go out of the business in 1699 and move back to New Hampshire, across the river from where he was then living.
He married, prior to 1680, Margaret, daughter of James and Margaret Warren,
of the Parish of Berwick. James Warren came from Scotland and his wife from
Ireland. James and Margaret Warren had five children. He died 1702. James
Stackpolc received a deed of land at Dover, New Hampshire, May 20, 1710.
His death was in 1736, as shown by an invoice of his will and estate dated
August 12, 1736, and in the hands of his executors. The full copy is here
given, verbatim, as it is of much interest for the present generation to
learn of the manners and customs of their forefathers, and to note the household
implements used by them:
"A True Inventory of the Estate of James Stackpole of Somcrworth in
Dover, Late Deceased, viz.:
To one Brass Kittle valued at ........................................... £3.15... Shillings.
To one Large Porige pott ................................................... ....... 1.00........ ""
To one Do Tramel and Fire tongs ...................................... 1.02........""
To one Frying Pan and two Wheels .......................................... 1.03........ ""
To a Warming Pann and Powker ..................................... .......... 14........ ""
To one Table, One pr. small plow Irons ........................ ......... 08........ ""
To Chairs ( ?) and Pine cupboard ..................................... .......... 15........ ""
To one Hog, 6 Coos (?) and one pitch forke .................... .......7.13........ ""
To one cow and 6 pounds Cyder Nutt ......................................7.14........ ""
To 5 loads of Hay at 30 ..................................................... .......7.10........""
To one dwelling House ....................................................... .......5.00......""
To three acres of land ......................................................... 105.00.......""
This inventory sheds some light on his manner of living. The "Brass Kittle" had been willed by Margaret Warren in 1712 to her daughter, Margaret Stackpole. It hung on a crane over a wood fire and was often filled with Irish potatoes. 'Ile "Poridge pott" served for cooking the Indian meal. The salmon that were so abundant in the river before the door sputtered in the "Frying pann." His house was certainly not palatial, being valued at but $25. It was doubtless a primitive log cabin, well decayed at the time of his death. The wind whistling through it, in the cold winters, made a " Warming Pann" serviceable. The record indicates a courageous, honest, industrious and prosperous private citizen. He was buried on the top of the hill, back of his house. Here sleermany of the first four generations of American Stackpoles. Traces of ride monuments and headstones may still be seen crumbled and disfigured by time. Trees and bushes have grown up in abundance about their graves.
The "History and Genealogy of the Stackpole Family," by Rev. Everett S. Stackpole, is authority for the statement that the family thus far traced are doubtless the ancestors of the Pennsylvania branch; however he has been unable to verify all the records which arc needed to prove this assumption.
(I) The first Stackpole known to have lived in Pennsylvania was James Stackpole, who it is known was residing at Carlisle in 1756, possibly a few years earlier. He was a mason by trade and the name of his wife was Margaret. It is almost certain that he descended from the New England Stackpoles. He died 1778, his widow surviving him until 1834. They had four children: 1. Barbara, married Patrick Weldon', in 1780, who died in 1813, and secondly she married Michael McGuerrn, dying without isilte, by either husband. 2. John, a revolutionary soldier and by trade a mason. He died in the Tuscarora Valley, Pennsylvania, about 1814, father of Barbara, Dorathy, Margaret and John. 3. Margaret, born at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, 1770, married Edward Daugherty, of McVeytown, Pennsylvania, and died in 1832, the mother of six children. 4. James, the great-grandfather of Edward J. Stackpole, was born at Carlisle, Pennsylvania; married, in 1790, Dorcas, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Holt, who was born March 23, 1772. He was a revolutionary soldier, serving as a private in Captain George. Hay's company of Cumberland county, Pennsylvania; was a member of the militia, serving from September 12, 1782, to November 14, 1782 (See Pennsylvania Archives). For a number of years he conducted a hotel near McVeytown, Pennsylvania. .He died November to, 1804, and his wife August 20, 1853. She was noted in the Juniata Valley as a woman of great force of character. The five children born to them were: Margaret, Mary, Thomas, James and John.
(II) James Stackpole, the great-grandfather, just mentioned in the last paragraph.
(III) James Stackpole, the fourth child of James and Dorcas (Holt) Stackpole,
was born October 1 4, 1797; married Catherine Setzler, November 2, 1820,
and became the grandfather of Edward J. Stackpole, of Harrisburg. He died
May 17, 1853. He resided at McVeytown, Pennsylvania. His wife was, born in
Chester county, Pennsylvania, January 2, 1797. They were the parents of eight
children: 1. Mary, born February 7, 1821, died November 5, 1821. 2. John
H., born March 23, 1823, died August 27, 1829. 3. William FL, born August
7, 1825 1 married, May 16, 1854, Hannah L. Burlew, of McVeytown, Pennsylvania,
born December, 1834. He was a soldier of the Mexican war. 4.. Margaret, born
November 20, 1827, married. March 29, 1849, David Corkle, horn November 18,
1820. She died at Mapleton, Pennsylvania, October 2, 1865. 5. James Barton,
born March 1, 183 1, at McVeytown, Pennsylvania, married, November 29, 1853,
Eliza Ard Switzer, born January 13, 1833, near Lewistown, Pennsylvania. He
died a soldier in the Union Army, March 23, 1865. 6. Sarah Dorcas, born
February 2, 1834, married, December 24, 1857, Lorenzo Dow Rambler, born February t, 1834; he was a soldier in the Union army. He resided at Elyria, Ohio. They were the parents of eight children. 7. Edward Henry Harrison, born August II, 1836, see forward. 8. Hannah Catherine, born April 7, 184 1, at McVeytown, Pennsylvania, married, January 9, 1862, Edmund Conrad, born July 24, 1840, at Myerstown, Pennsylvania; he was the publisher of the McVeytown Journal.
(IV) Edward Henry Harrison Stackpole, seventh child of James and Catherine
(Setzler) Stackpole, born at McVeytown, Pennsylvania, August 11, 1836, died
December 5, 1890, at McVeytown, Pennsylvania. He was by trade a blacksmith,
and carried on the business at a time when his trade included wagon making
and kindred branches. He was a lifelong Whig and Republican and a warm supporter
of the elder and younger Camerons. In 1876 he was elected to the legislature
from Mifflin county, serving in 1877-78. In 1881 he was appointed to a position
in the state treasury, and two years later was made superintendent of public
buildings and grounds, filling the position with ability until his demise.
He performed his work well and his actions concerning the betterment of
buildings, parks, etc., were always highly endorsed by the best citizens
of the Commonwealth. He was prominent in Masonic circles, and was buried
by their rites. He was a man of integrity and the soul of honor. To his friends
he was ever loyal, and he despised the petty frauds and tricks of small
politicians. He was a strong party worker, but always dealt fair blows. During
the civil war be served in. the Fourth Pennsylvania Militia, and was at the
battle of Antietam, Maryland. The
greater part of his life was spent in his native county, where he died after a lingering illness, a victim of Bright's disease. He was known far and near, as Captain Stackpole, and in his death the Juniata Valley, in common with the whole state, lost one of its most highly esteemed citizens.
December 22, 1859, he married Margaret Jane Glasgow, by whom eleven children
were born: 1. Edward James, see forward. Oscar Lincoln, born
November 26, 1862, sergeant of Company D, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, in the Spanish-American war. 3. William Howard, born July 27, 1864,
died August 27, 1894. 4. Hannah Catherine, born April 10, 1866, married, March 4, 1892, Charles Edward Schinnelfeng, residing in Warren, Pennsylvania.
5. Walker Woods, born January 8, 1868, died June 1, 1896. 6. Charles Bratton, born October 31, 1870, resides in Mexico. 7. Ella Clark, born September to, 1872, married Frank Ross Oyster, October 2, 1895. He was born at Helen Mills, Pennsylvania, December 14, 1868, and now resides in Harrisburg. 8. Harry Clinton, born November 10, 1,875, married, January 11, 1898, Sarah Arlington Hall, daughter of J. K. P. Hall, of Ridgeway, Pennsylvania. 'They now reside at St. Mary's and are the parents of Lisle and James Hall Stackpole. 9. Mark Holt, born May 3, 1878, died March 4, 1896. to. Donald Cameron, born , August 28, 1880. Jennie May, born December 27, t881, died February, 1905.
( V) Edward James Stackpole, the oldest child of Captain E. H. H. and Margaret
Jane (Glasgow) Stackpole, is a native of Mifflin county, Pennsylvania,
born January 18, 1861. He is now the editor of the Harrisburg Daily Telegraph, and scrving his second term as postmaster at Harrisburg. 'He being one of a large family of children was compelled to shift for himself at an early age, which fact, possibly, contributed to his career, which has been highly successful. He haA a limited common school education and then "finished his course at the printer's case." He worked in a printing office during vacation time, while other boys were at play, and when less than seventeen years of age did nearly, all of the local work on the McVeytown Journal, a weekly newspaper oT his native town. So superior and highly practical was his work, both as printer and writel., that his services were soon in demand an various papers in the Juniata Valley. He spent all of his spare time with useful books, having free access to the library of Judge Vance Criswell, and in this manner became thoroughly conversant with literature and every current topic. His tastes were in the line of journalistic work, hence he accepted this when two propositions were made to him to engage in business for himself. ,Before he had reached his majority he had an offer to become a clerk, with every chance to be promoted, in the Pennsylvania railroad offices at Altoona; at the same time he was offered a partnership with B. F. Ripple, on the Orbisonia Dispatch, which latter he accepted, thus definitely fixing his life-work. jn,the light of subsequent events, his choice was one of wisdom, for in the role of a newspaper correspondent and editor has he achieved an excellent record.
He remained the editor of the Dispatch until January, 1883, when he went
to Harrisburg as assistant foreman and exchange editor of the Evening .Teleiraph,
having had other flattering offers on newspapers before concluding to make
Harrisburg his future home; this city, as he believed,. opened up a broader
field of usefulness for him. When M. W. McAlarney took charge of the Telegraph
in 1883, Mr. Stackpole became a member of the staff and was the city editor
until 1898, when he resigned to attend to his large interests as a correspondent
for larger newspapers in various cities in the country, including the New
York Morning and Evening Sun, Associated Press, United Press, New York Press,
Baltimore American, Washington Post, Philadelphia Ledger, Philadelphia Enquirer,
Philadelphia Bulletin, Pittsburg Dispatch, Pittsburg Leader, Chicago Inter-Ocean
and numerous trade journals, including the Iron Age, ('Pall Street Journal
and others of their class. He has made a very extended and personal acquaintance
with the leading men of his state and the celebrities of the nation. On resigning
Harrisburg correspondent of a great newspaper he received this letter: "Thank you very much for your prompt and correct service. We have always found you entirely trustworthy in everything, and it has been a great comfort to us."
Early in 1901 he purchased a controlling interest in the Daily Telegraph,
which was established in 1833, and which has been a power in vindicating
the principles of the Republican party ever since its formation. Among the
noted editors of this paper have been Alexander McClure, ex-congressman,
Samuel Barr, De Benneville Randolph Keim and others. Mr. Stackpole, in 1901,
changed the price of the Telegraph from two to one cent, an innovation which
was well received by the reading public, and as a result the subscription
list was greatly increased. Upon the organization of the Telegraph Printing
Company, Mr. Stackpole was made its president, which place he still fills.
His' large newspaper experience and wide public acquaintance gave a new life
and vigor to the journal, which has had an almost phenomenal growth. The
office and plant were moved from the old site at the corner of Third and
Market streets to the new building on Federal Squas:e, where may be seen
one of the most complete printing establishments in central Pennsylvania.
This change of location was effected in the early spring of 1905.
Of the staunch Republican faith, Mr. Stackpole has been a steadfast supporter of his party, both in county and state. While he is ever true to his own party, he has the good will and confidence of all fair-minded men. Recognizing his fitness, he was by the late president William McKinley, appointed postmaster at Harrisburg, February 22, 1901, and re-appointed by President Roosevelt in 1905. In signing his commission, Mr. McKinley remarked to Congressman Olmsted that he made the appointment on Washington's birthday, so that his children might more easily remember the date of their father's appointment. Upon his securing the postoffice he found his duties so multiplied that he was compelled to surrender much of his extensive newspaper correspondence with the large list of outside papers with which he had been associated for more than a score of years, but has continued his active association with the newspaper fraternity. He declined the presidency of the State Editorial Association in 1905.
He has ever taken an active interest in all that has tended to the upbuilding of Harrisburg and has been financially connected with various business enterprises, as a stockholder. He was colonel of the "Harrison Invincibles, ' a famous political organization conducted on military lines. He Was also a member of another campaign organizationthe "Cameron Guards." In 1903 he was the president of the. Harrisburg Board of Trade. He served three years in the City Grays, (Company D, Eighth Regiment, N. G. P.). He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to the Robert Burns Lodge, No. 464; the Consistory and Scottish Rite bodies, being a thirtysecond degree Mason. lie is also a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. In religious faith he is a Presbyterian. He attended the Pine Street Church when he first came to Harrisburg, and when his parents moved here he united with them at the Market Square Church, and upon his marriage and settlement in another part of the city he associated him, self with the Covenant Presbyterian Church, of which he has been an elder for the past three years. lie was for years a member of the late Judge John W. Simonton's Bible class, at Pine Street Church. He also served as superintendent of the Covenant Presbyterian Sunday school.
Mr. Stackpole married, October 10, 1889, Maria Kate Hummel, daughter of Albert Hummel and wife. Her father was a prominent shoedealer of Harrisburg, and a supporter of Zion's Lutheran Church. (The Hummel family history appears elsewhere in this work.) To Mr. and Mrs. Stackpole vete born the following children: 1. Catherine Hummel, August 1, 1890, 2. Margaret, July 4, 1892. 3. Edward James, June 21, 1894. 4. Albert Hummel, June 28, te97.
Back to Pennsylvania Trails History and Genealogy
Back to Dauphin County Pennsylvania History and Genealogy