By Luther Reily Kelker, The Lewis Publishing Company, New York
and Chicago, 1907
Transcribed by Nancy Piper for Genealogy Trails
Tim McCormick (Page
TIM McCORMICK FAMILY, which came to this country from Ireland some time during the seventeenth century, has a record in the history of this country of which the members of the family may justly feel proud. They have been well represented in all the professions, as well as in the financial, commercial and military circles, and have earned distinction in every field of operations in which they were interested.
(I) James McCormick, the first ancestor of this family of whom we have any record, was one of the signers of the "humble address of the governors, officers, clergy and other gentlemen of the city and garrison of Londonderry" to William and Mary, July 29, 1689, shortly after the famous siege of that stronghold of Protestantism. He married, and among his children were: 1. Hugh, born about 1695, in the province of Ulster, Ireland. He emigrated with his family to America, prior to 1735, and settled in Paxtang township, Lancaster county (now Dauphin), Pennsylvania. He married, and had children: John, born 1718, married Jean Cathay; James, born 1721, married and had children, and probably settled in the valley, of Virginia; Samuel, born 1723, married and had children; Hugh, born 1725, married Sarah Alcorn. 2. Thomas see forward.
(II) Thomas McCormick, s( a of James McCormick, was born about the year 1702, in the province of Ulster, Ireland, and died about 1762, in East Pennboro, Cumberland county, Pennsylvania. He came to America at the same time as his brother Hugh, and in 1745, he and his wife each took out a warrant for one hundred acres of land in Hanover township, then Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. About that time or shortly afterward, he removed with his family west of the Susquehanna river, locating in East Pennboro township, Cumberland county. He married in Ireland, about 1726, Elizabeth Carruth, born in Ireland in 1705, died in East Pennboro township, January, 1767. She was the daughter of Adam Carruth, and the sisterof Walter Carruth, both among the early settlers of Hanover township.
Thomas and Elizabeth (Carruth) McCormick had children: 1. Thomas, born 1727, married Jean Oliver. 2. James, see forward. 3. William, born 1732, married Mary Wiggins. 4. Hugh, born 1735, married Catherine Sanderson. 5. Robert, born 1738, married Martha Sanderson. 6. Elizabeth, born 1740, married Matthew Loudon.
(III) James McCormick, second son and child of Thomas and Elizabeth (Carruth) McCormick, was born about 1729, in the province of Ulster, Ireland, died in East Pennboro township, Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, in 1802, and his remains were interred in the Silver Springs churchyard. After his arrival in this country his entire life was spent on the old homestead. He married, in 1760, Mary Oliver, born in Ireland in 1728, died in East Pennboro township, November 29, 1804. They had children: 1. James, born 1761, married Margaret Oliver. 2. Robert, born 1764, died unmarried in 18o9. 3. William, see forward. 4. Elizabeth. 5. Isabella.
(IV) William McCormick, third son and child of James and Mary ( Oliver) McCormick, was born at Silver Springs, Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, 1766, died June 13, 1805. His tombstone in the Silver Springs churchyard bears this inscription: "Endeared to all who knew him by his benevolence and integrity." He married Mary Margaret Bines, born August 22, 1767, died April 23, 1849. She is buried beside her husband.
They had children: 1. James (twin), see forward. 2. Margaret, twin of James, born February 24, 1801, died unmarried, November 29, 185
(V) James McCormick, only son -of William and Mary Marga ( Bines) McCormick, was born February 24, 1801, near Silver Springs, Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, died January 19, 1870, at Harrisburg, Dauphin county, in the same state. When less than five years of age he lost father through a fatal accident, and the entire care of bringing him up thus devolved upon his mother. She was a bright, determined woman, and it wsa due to her careful preparations that he was fitted for entrance to Princeton College at an unusually early age. He was graduated from this institution of learning with honors, and immediately commenced the study of law under the preceptorship of Andrew Carothers, Esq., of Carlisle, Pennsylvania. He was admitted to practice at the Cumberland county bar in 1823. His was a most successful career, which never altered as long as he was able to give his professional duties his attention, and his success followed him after he had retired from the active practice of his profession. He was a member of the borough council for a number of years, was the president of that corporation, also of the Dauphin Deposit Bank, of the Harrisburg Cemetery, and the Harrisburg Bridge Company, and was one of the trustees of the Pine Street Presbyterian Church. In all of these positions he was a capable and cautious adviser. He uniformly declined nomination for office, also offers of high honors in his profession. Upon his retirement from his legal practice he devoted his time and attention to the management of a large estate, consisting of furnaces, grist mills, rolling mills and farms. All of these interests were successfully controlled by him in a most masterly and systematic manner, despite physical disability.
He married, in 1830, Eliza Buehler, born November 1 1, 1806, at Erie, Pennsylvania; died, December 25, 1877, at Harrisburg. She was the only daughter of George and Maria (Nagle) Buehler, and was a most estimable woman. She was a leading spirit in every noble charity, benevolent enterprise, philanthropic movement, Christian endeavor, hospital or home to be organized in the city of Harrisburg. She was ever ready to assist the needy and distressed, and her charities were administered in an unostentatious manner. James and Eliza (Buehler) McCormick had children: 1. Henry, see forward. 2. James, see forward. 3. Mary, horn October to, 1834, married James Donald Cameron.
( VI) Colonel Henry McCormick, eldest child of James and Eliza (Buehler)
McCormick, was born March to, 1831, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and died
July 1, 19oo. His education was acquired in the Harrisburg Academy, Partridges'
Military Institute, and Yale College, from which he was graduated in the
class of 1852. He commenced the study of law with his father, but as he believed
future success could be better attained in the pursuit of commercial and
manufacturing interests, he abandoned law, and mastered all the details of
the iron industry at Reading furnace, now (1907) Robesonia, and at the first
opportunity which presented itself purchased an interest in the Henry Clay
and Eagle furnaces, near Marietta, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. The Paxtang
furnaces came under his
management and control in 1857, and in 1866 the nail works at Fairview, Cumberland county, which he conducted for a period of twenty-five years.
Before a railway spanned the continent, in 1865, he crossed the prairies and the Rocky Mountain range to the Pacific coast, returning by way of the Isthmus of Panama. He visited Europe in 1877. His devotion to his country was undoubted, and at the outbreak of the civil war he was one of the first to offer his life and services to the cause of patriotism. He raised a company of volunteersCompany F, Lochiel Gras's, Twenty-fifth Pennsylvania -Regimentfor three months service. He was chosen colonel of the First Regiment of Pennsylvania Militia, in 1862, under Major-General John F. Reynolds, 'and assigned to the Second Division, First Brigade. The object of forming this division having been accomplished by the contest at Antietam, it was mustered out of service. Colonel .McCormick, was present at the shelling of Carlisle when Lee invaded Pennsylvania. Under the act relative to the geological survey of Pennsylvania, he was appointed commissioner by Governor Hartranft, and his colleagues elected him treasurer, and he filled both of these positions until the completion of the work. As a co-trustee of the estate of his father he exhibited tact, judgment, and executive ability of a high order. He was a most liberal contributor to all benevolent undertakings, but always avoided ostentation and publicity. As an evidence of the esteem in which he was held it may he stated that, when a candidate for congress in 1882, his majority in his native county was one hunred and fifty-nine,while his party was in a minority of almost fifteen hundred votes for balance of the ticket. Colonel McCormick died at his country homeRosegarden in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, July 14, 1900, as the result of a paralytic stroke sustained on the (day of the burning of the state capitol in 1897. This catastrophe affected the state of his health until the time of his death. He was connected with the Pine Street Presbyterian Church of Harrisburg from the time of its organization, was' one of the trustees, contributed most liberally towards its support, as well as to all religious societies. Politically he was a Democrat. In social life Colonel McCor was a most delightful man to meet. He entertained much as long as the state of his health would permit of his doing so, and many were the gue at his home at the . corner of Pine and Front streets, Harrisburg, and at his charming summer home, at which place he frequently entertained on great national holiday. It may he said of him "Of such characters the world has none too many."
Colonel McCorniiek married, June 29, 1867, Annie Criswell, daughter of John Vance and Hannah (Dull) Criswell, and they had children: 1. Henry Buehler, born June 12, 1869, married, June 13, 1895, Mary Letitia , Boyd, daughter of James and Louisa (Yeomans) Boyd. 2. Vance Criswel horn June 19, 1872. 3. Mary Cameron, born December 18, 1873, died 3, 1883. 4. Isabella, born January 9, 1876; died November 29, 1876. 5., Hugh, born March 1, 1878, died June 11, 1879. 6. Annie, born March 2 1879.
( VI) James McCormick, second son and child of James and Eli (Buehler) McCormick, was born at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, October 31 1832. His education was obtained in the public schools and in the Mil Institute of Captain Partridge, the Harrisburg Academy, and , Yale Colle from which latter institution he was graduated in 1853. He studie under the preceptorship of his father, was admitted to the bars of Dauphin and Cumberland counties, and practiced his profession for several yea Upon the death of his father he became one of the trustees of the large estat of the latter, and as this trust absorbed the greater part of his time and attention, he abandoned the practice of his profession. He never held public offic but in the religious and charitable (cork of his day he occupies a position second to none in the county. Ever since the organization of the Pine Stre Presbyterian Church at Harrisburg, he has filled the office of elder, and has also been a successful Sunday school teacher. He was the president and trustee of the Young Men's Christian Association, a liberal contributor to the Home for the Friendless in Harrisburg, and all charitable institutions of the city, and was the president of the Harrisburg Hospital from its organization until 1889. He married, May 26, 1859, Mary Wilson Alricks, daughter of Hermanus and Mary Wilson (Kerr) Alricks, and they had children: Hermanus, deceased; Henry, James, William, Donald, Eliza Mary, deceased; and Robert.
John Oenslager (Page 23-24)
JOHN OENSLAGER, Jr., M. D. Among the medical practitioners of Harrisburg
is Dr. John Oenslager, Jr., born at Harrisburg, April 25,
1868, son of John Oenslager; born February 20,- 182o, in Germany, and grandson of George Ohlenschlager, of Rimbach, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany.
John Oenslager (father) came to America in 1833, locating at Harrisburg,
Pennsylvania, in 1836, and was apprenticed to George J. Heisely to learn
the art, trade and mystery of watch, clock and mathematical instrument making.
For a number of years he conducted a jewelry store on the site of the present
Bergner building, Third and Market streets. He was a member of the common
council for several terms. He was an ardent Abolitionist, and helped to operate
the "underground railroad," by which slaves, prior to their emancipation,
were helped from bondage. He died November 12, 1898. He married Harriet Freaner,
born March 16, 1843, daughter of Abraham and Catharine (Richards) Freaner.
Abraham Freaner was recorder of Dauphin county for several terms. He was
a son of John Freaner, who was of Hagerstown, Maryland, the son of Dr. James
Freaner, of. Lebanon, born December 25, 1745, died March 13,.1813, son of
John Freaner, who came to America on the ship "Jamaica Galley" from Rotterdam,
qualifying February 7, 1739. Dr. James Freaner, aforementioned, was a
sergeant in the First Regiment of the Pennsylvania Line, and a dragoon in Stephen Moylain's Troop of Cavalry. He married Eva Maria Sattelthalerin, born July 5, 1745, died December 24, 1819, Catharine (Richards) Freaner, born at Campbellstown, Lebanon county, Pennsylvania, was the daughter Jesse Richards, born August 8, 1772, died February 22, 1848, son of Aquelia Richards, born in \Vales, 1723, an associator, a member of Captain William Bell's company, Fourth Battalion, Lancaster county militia. Katharine (Hoomer) Richards, wife of Jesse Richards, born February 1772, died May 1, 1854.
Dr. John Oenslager, son of John and Harriet (Freaner) Oenslager, attended
the common schools of his native place, and later the Harrisburg Academy,
Philip Exeter Academy, from 1885 to 1887, obtained a Bachelors degree from
Harvard University in 1891, and studied medicine at the University of
Pennsylvania, graduating in 1894, since which time he has been engaged in
active practice at Harrisburg. Dr. Oenslager is a member of St. Stephen's
Episcopal Church and belongs to several lodges and clubs. Dr. Oenslager married,
April 22, 1897, Jane Laura Connely, daughter of George W. and Anna Willard,
a descendant of Simon Willard, the founder of Concord, Massachusetts. Mrs.
Oenslager is also in direct line from General Joseph Dwight, who was made
a brigadier-general for his services in the expedition against Louisburg;
and a descendant of Rev. John Sherman, of Watertown, Massachusetts; of Colonel
William Pyncheon, one
of the first inhabitants of Springfield, Massachusetts; of George Wyllys, who was made governor of Connecticut, in 1642; of Samuel Willard, a president of Harvard College and the second preacher at Old South Church, Boston. The children born to Dr. and Mrs. Oenslager are as follows: John Willard, born March 1, 1898; Donald Mitchell, born March 7, 1902; Beatrice Ross, born July 26, 1905. These children were born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Haldeman Family (Page 24-26)
HALDEMAN FAMILY. This family trace their ancestry to Switzerland. Honeste Gaspard Haldimand (Casper Haldeman), of Thum, Switzerland, became a citizen of Yverdun, Canton de Vand, in 1671. His grandson, Jacob Haldeman, born October 7, 1722, in Canton of Neufchatel, died Decembee3t, 1784, in Rapho township, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, where he settled upon first coming to this country and there purchased a large tract of land. He was a member of the committee of safety for his adopted shire on the breaking out of the revolutionary war. His near relative was the noted British general, Sir Frederick Haldimand, K. B., who served with distinction in the armies of Sardinia and Prussia, entering the military service of King George II, in 1754. A tablet designating General Haldimand's stall as a Knight of the Bath may be seen in King Henry VII Chapel, Westminster Abbey.
John Haldeman, son of Jacob Haldeman, was born in 1753, and died in 1832. He settled at Locust Grove, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. He was an enterprising and influential citizen, an extensive land-owner and engaged largely in business pursuits. In company with Robert Ralston, of Philadelphia, he was in the china trade. He was a member of the Bingham court and first general assembly of Pennsylvania. Late in his career he removed to Columbia, in the same county, where both he and his wife died.
Jacob M. Haldeman, second son of John and Mary (Breneman) Haldeman, obtained a good English. and German education, under the instruction of an English officer. At the age of nineteen years he was sent on horseback by his father to Pittsburg, making the journey through many Indian settlements to purchase flour and send down the river in flat boats. About 1806, assisted by his father, he bought the water power and forge at the mouth of Yellow Breeches creek and established himself in the iron business. He added a rolling and slitting mill, and soon ranked among the foremost iron makers and manufacturers in the commonwealth. His superior iron soon found ready sale,. and upon the establishment of the United States arsenal at Harpers Ferry he supplied the government with iron, especially during the war of 1812-14, which he forwarded across the country over the South Mountain mule-back to the Ferry, where it was manufactured into guns, many of which are to be seen to-day among the "trophies" stamped "1812." At that time he founded Haldemanstown, now known as New Cumberland, at the junction of the creek and river. It may be here noted that this was one of the places in question in the congress at New York as the proposed site of the national capital. Mr. Haldeman also built a saw and grist mill at this point. Following the war of 1812-14, during the depression, he invested largely in farming lands and real estate. This immense business he carried on with the aid of a clerk.
In 1830 he removed to Harrisburg, purchasing a residence built by Stephen A. Hills (the architect of the old capitol building) on Front street, on the banks of the Susquehanna river, and here he died. His name is familiarly associated as having been connected with the Harrisburg Bank, also the Harrisburg Bridge; one of the founders of the Harrisburg Car Company and the Dauphin Deposit Bank. He possessed splendid business qualifications and was a man of sterling integrity. He never sought prominence in public places, or the emoluments of office, but attended strictly to his own business affairs. He was ever independent in his political views, and was a member and a large contributor to the Presbyterian church, as well as all local enterprises:
His wife was Eliza Ewing, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Templin) Jacobs, born at Mount Hope Furnace, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, June 13, 1789, and died 1884. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Haldeman were: Sara Jacobs, Mary Ewing, Caroline Jacobs, Elizabeth Templin, Anne, died young; John, born September 19, 1821, died in Denver, Colo:, rado, July 13, 1865; Jacob S., born October 13, 1823, for many years president of the State Agricultural Society, ex-member of the state legislature, and ex-minister to Sweden; Susan Frances, and Richard Jacobs Haldeman, born May 19, 1831, see forward.
Richard Jacobs Haldeman, son of Jacob M. Haldeman, born May 19, 1831, was educated at Yale college and Heidelburg and Berlin universities. Immediately upon leaving the universities he was appointed secretary of United States Legation at Paris under Mr. Mason, and while holding this appointment, was sent with special missions to both the courts at St. Petersburg and at Vienna. He was the editor and proprietor of the Harrisburg Patriot for several years and the founder of the Daily Patriot. Politically he was a Democrat. He served in congress for two terms, from 1871 to 1875. He died October 1, 1886, aged fifty-five years. He married Margaretta Cameron, daughter of Simon and Margaretta (Brua) Cameron, by whom were born Donald C., Eliza E. and Richard C.
Donald Cameron Haldeman, an attorney-at-law of Harrisburg, was born in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, July 29, 1871, the son of Hon. Richard J. and Margaretta (Cameron) Haldeman, and the grandson of Simon Cameron. Donald Cameron received his elementary education in private schools .at Harrisburg, which he attended until he was sixteen years of age, when he went to Andover, Massachusetts, for a two-years course in Phillips Academy, which prepared him well for college. In 1889 he was admitted to Yale University, taking the regular classical, course and graduating with the class of 1893. During that year he entered the law office of the late John H. Weiss, where Ile read law two years and was admitted to the Dauphin county bar in June, 1895, and at once entered into the active practice of his chosen profession. Politically Mr. Haldeman is a Republican, and in his church connections is a member of the Presbyterian church.
Biedleman Family (Page 26-28)
Jacob Beidleman, the pioneer ancestor, was born in Germany, and settled in Bucks county, Pennsylvania. He saw service in the patriot army during the revolutionary war. He reared a family, among whom were Peggy, Sally, Elias, Jacob, Adam and John. The parents were Lutherans in religion. Both died in Shippensburg, Cumberland county, and were there buried.
Jacob Beidleman, son of the emigrant Jacob, was born in Bucks county, 1785, and removed to Cumberland county when a young man, following his trade (that of blacksmith) at Shippensburg for the greater part of his life. He was obliged to abandon his calling by reason of a hurt which he received while shoeing a horse, and from which he never entirely recovered. When again able to take up employment he gave himself to freight hauling for his brother, and was so engaged until his death, February 5, 1835, at the age of about fifty years. He was a member of the Lutheran church, and in politics was an old-line Whig. His wife, Elizabeth (Reinhart) Beidleman, born in' Franklin county, Pennsylvania, long survived her husband, dying about 1854, aged about sixty years. They had eight children: 1. Sarah, wife of David Wilson, of Cumberland county. 2. Elizabeth, wife of David Holmes, of Bloomfield, Perry county. 3. William. 4. John, died in infancy. 5 Mary. 6. Adam, married a Miss Holmes, of Maryland. 7. Margaret, wife of Henry Wise, of Cumberland county. 8. Sophia, wife of George Fry, of Franklin county.
William Beidleman, third child and eldest son of Jacob and Elizabeth ( Rinehart) Beidleman, was bore in Shippensburg, Cumberland county, November 26, 1817. He received a meagre education in the pioneer common schools of that day, attending only for a few weeks in the winter seasons. He engaged in teaming in his young manhood, and before attaining his majority removed to Harrisburg, and entered the employ of the Calder family, in whose service he remained for three generations. He retired from active occupations some years ago, and is now making his home with his son, Edward B. Beidleman, in Harrisburg. He is a member of Christ (Lutheran) Church, and in politics is a Republican, and is fraternally connected with Fulton Council, No. 35, Order of American Mechanics. He married, February 5, 1845, Hannah Hong, born in Delaware, April 28, 1823, died November 4, 1902, daughter of Jesse Hong. Of this marriage were born eight children: 1. Margaret, wife of Charles Spickler, of Lancaster county. 2. Emma. 3. Thomas D., Of whom further. 4. idward B., married Mary, daughter of Frederick Heiney, of Harrisburg. 5, Newland (deceased), who married Ackalina Davis, of Harrisburg. 6. Sophia, deceased. 7. Mary Jane, wife of Alexander Jackson, of Baltimore, Maryland. 8. William C., of whom further.
Thomas D. Beidleman, third child and eldest son of William and Hannah ( Hong) Beidleman, was born in Clarke's Valley, Dauphin county, Pennsylvani October 15, 1848, He came to Harrisburg with his parents when he was seven years old, and there received his education in the public schools. In August, 1867, when nineteen years of age, he became labor foreman in the Lochiel Iron Works, which position he acceptably filled until April, 1889, when he resigned in order to engage in a general merchandise and grocery business at Lochiel, and which he conducted with gratifying success until 1900, in which year he sold his stock and good-will to the Lochiel Merchandise Company, and entered upon a life of well-earned retirement. During his entire mercantile career he bore himself with unsullied reputation, and was held in high regard by all with whom he had dealings, as well as by the community at large. He is an active and exemplar) a member of the Pine Street Presbyterian Church. In politics he is a Republican. He married, December 29, 1870, Susan Ensinger, daughter of John G. and Julia (Seibold) Ensinger. Her father was born in Germany, 1795, and died in Powell's Valley, Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, 1854, aged sixty-nine years. He was a well-to-do farmer, owning a farm in Montgomery county, which he sold, purchasing another in Powell's Valley, to which he removed. He was a member of the Lutheran church, and in politics was a Democrat.
He was twice married. His first wife was born 1810, and died in 1863, and both are buried at the same place. She bore him six children, and his second wife bore him eight children. To Thomas D. and Susan (Ensinger) Beidleman were born three children: 1. Bertha A., a clerk in the office of state custodian of public records, Harrisburg. 2. Edward E., of Whom further. 3. Hannah M., wife of Stewart Heist, of Harrisburg, now residing in Oreland, Montgomery county.
William C. Beidleman, youngest son of William and Hannah (Hong) Beidleman, was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, January 28, 1861.. He was reared in his native city, educated in the public schools thereof, and has spent his entire active career in the employ of the government. He engaged in the mail service earl), in life. In 1881 he was appointed to a clerkship under Postmaster M. W. McAlarney, and has continued in the mail service ever since with the exception of the first administration of Grover Cleveland. He has served in various capacities in the office. He was appointed superintendent of the Hill station post office on Thirteenth street, south of Market street, Harrisburg, March to, 1906, which position, he is now filling. He is a member of the Knights of the Golden Eagle, Castle No, 40. He takes an active part in church work, holding membership in Zion Lutheran Church, in which he serves as vestryman and is also a member of the pastor's Bib class. He is a Republican in politics.
Mr. Beidleman married,.March 26, 1885, Elizabeth Rupp Hursh, a daughter of Abraham and Caroline (Reamshart) Hursh. Their children are: Helen H., Harry H. and Constance B. Beidleman.
Edward E. Beidleman, attorney at law, Harrisburg, is a native of that city, horn July 8, 1873, son of Thomas D. and Susan (Ensinger) Beidleman. He received his education, graduating from the high school with first honors. He then took a course in the Keystone Business College, and was subsequently engaged with his father in business for a time. Having determined upon the law as his profession, he registered as a .student in the office of Hon. Samuel J. M. McCarrell, and under his masterly tutorship was qualified for admission to the bar, on January 28, 1898. He at once entered upon practice, in which he has been usefully and industriously engaged to the present time, having drawn about him a large clientele embracing many of the largest personal and corporate interests in the city.
A Republican in politics, Mr. Beidleman has from his entrance upon manhood taken an active interest in political affairs, and holds a place of influence in the counsels of his party. In 1904. he was elected to the legislature, and bore an important part in that body in the session of 1905 and the extra session of 1906, serving upon several of its most important committees the judiciary committee, the general committee, the committee on public grounds, the committee on building, and the public printing committee and was recognized as one of their most industrious and judicious members. As a member of the Harrisburg Board of Trade, he has rendered valuable aid in promoting the commercial and industrious interests of the community. He has attained to high rank in the Masonic order, being affiliated with Robert Burns Lodge, No. 464, and with all the superior bodies up to and including the thirty-second degree, Scottish Rite. He is also a member of Zembo Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; the Modern Woodmen of America; the Roya Arcanum; the Patriotic Order Sons of America; John Harriss Lodge, Knights of Pythias; and the Knights of the Maccabees. He is a member of the Presbyterian church.
Mr. Beidleman married, November 6, 1901, Katherine Nissley, daughter of Dr. Samuel Nissley. Her father was a prominent physician practicing in Ohio, and later in Eliabethtown, Pennsylvania. In the latter place he was for some years physician for the Pennsylvania railroad, and is now there engaged in a large general practice. Mrs. Beidleman was Dr. Nissley's only child by his first wife, and her mother died when she was but two years old. Mr. and Mrs. Beidleman are the parents of one child, Katherine Nissley Beidleman, born October 7, 1902.
John P. Melick (Page 28-29)
Rev. Justus A. Melick was born of pious Methodist parents, in Light street, Columbia county, Pennsylvania, March 7 1823, and died March 22, 1886. His was a religious nature from his earliest youth, and he daily read the Scripture and led an upright and pure life. When about twenty years of age and while at Harford, Pennsylvania, attending the academy, he was converted and gave himself to the ministry. He :attended for a number of years the Genessee Wesleyan Seminary at Lima New York,. to prepare for this work.
In 1848, with twenty-four other young men, he was admitted on trial to the Baltimore Conference. In 1850, at Alexandria, Virginia, he was received in full connection in the conference and was ordained a deacon by Bishop Morris, and in 1852 was ordained elder, at Cumberland, Maryland, by Bishop James, and his first appointment was Bellefonts Circuit RS junior preacher, being a colleague of Rev. Thompson Mitchell, and his fields of labor were as follows: 1849, Clearfield; 1850, Lycoming; 1851, Berwick; 1852-3, Luzerne; 1854-5, Lock Haven; 1856-7, Great Island; 1858, Manor Hill; 1859-60, Birmingham; 1861-2, Woodberry; 1863-4, Williamsburg; 1866-7, New Berry; 1868-9, Bloomsburg; 1870-71, Jersey Shore; 1872-4, Hallidaysburg; 1875-6 St. Pauls, at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Here, in the second year of his pastorate, his health began to fail and at the Williamsport conference in 1877 he became a supernumerary, and the next eight years were spent in Harrisburg, where he was cheered by his family and the warm friendship of his associates, doing such work as his strength would permit.
Rev. Melick was twice married. The wife of his early manhood was. Emeline E. Patchin, of Clearfield r natty, Pennsylvania, to whom he was united October 28, 1851; she died in 1862.. For his second wife he married, in 1867, Emily Dunmire. He was the father of three children by his first wife: Mary M., born December 13, 1856, who became the wife of Dr. G. Benson Dunmire, of Philadelphia. John P., see forward. Emma, born January 31, 1860. Rev. Melick's funeral was held at Grace Methodist Episcopal Church at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, March 25, 1886. It was attended by a large congregation, including a number of ministers from his own .and other denominations, who exriressAf their appreciation of his work..
John P. Melick, son of Rev. Justus A. and Emeline E. (Patchin) Melick, was born in Petersburg, Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, August 18, 1858. He received his education in public and private schools, and from 1871 to 1874 attended Dickson Seminary of Williamsport, Pennsylvania and during a part of 1875-76 was a student at Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania. In 1885 he entered the office of the prothonotary of Dauphin county, at Harrisburg, under Ehrman B. Mitchell, and remained in the office during his administration, also under that of William H. Ulrich. In November, 1891, he was nominated by the Republican party and elected prothonotary by a majority of 4,483, and in 1894 re-elected by a majority of 6,067, serving until 1898. Since 1898 he has been secretary of the State Capital Saving and Loan Association of Harrisburg, and vice-president of the Union Trust Company of Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Melick are members of Grace Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he is a trustee. He is also a trustee of Dickinson College, Carlisle, Harrisburg Academy, a Harrisburg Board of Trade.
Mr. Melick married, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, October 20, 1887, Elizabeth K. Black, daughter of Joseph M. and Charlotte Black, of that city. One child was born to Mr. and Mrs. Melick, Joseph B., December 15, 1888.
Samuel J. M. McCarrell (Page 29-33)
SAMUEL J. M. McCARRELL, whose prominence at the bar of Dauphin county is attested by his appointment by the late President McKinley to the office of United States district attorney for the middle district of Pennsylvania, at its creation, and reappointment by President Roosevelt, to the same position, is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Buffalo township, Washington county. He is of Scotch-Irish ancestrya people noted for peculiarly strong traits of character. In the paternal line he traces descent from the McCarrells of Ayrshire, Scotland, and in the maternal line from the McLains of Duard Castle,.on the Island of Mull. The branch from. which he comes wa:: planted in the north of Ireland in the time of James I.
Thomas McCarrell, great-grandfather of Samuel J. M. McCarrell, born in the north of Ireland, came to America prior to the revolution, settling near Philadelphia. He served throughout the great struggle for liberty, and afterward settled in western Pennsylvania, where he followed farming, and died at the venerable age of ninety-four years. He belonged to the "Seceeder" branch of the Presbyterian church. His son Samuel married Elirabeth McConnell. Her father gave them a farm in Hanover township, Wathington county, upon which they resided the remainder of their lives and where still live three of their eight children: Louisa J., Lysander T. and Elizabeth A. Another son, Dr. James McCarrell, is located in Colbert, West Virginia. Samuel and his wife were both Presbyterians in religion. They died respectively at ninety-four and ninety years of age.
Rev. Alexander McCarrell, D.D., father of Samuel J. M. McCarrell, was born near Cross Creek village, Washington county, Pennsylvania, September 22. 1817. The story of his life is condensed from an appreciative sketch from the pen of Rev. George W. F. Birch, D.D., LL. D., published in "Our Church and Village," in 1899:
"Very precious memories clustered around the hour of his childhood. His father was a moral man, and his mother a devoted Christian. Her example, prayers and instructions left their impress on her son. He has told me that it was the aim and effort of her life that he should become a minister of the Gospel. When only a small boy he was a constant attendant with her in the Sabbath service of God's house. In early life he united with the church of Cross Creek, of which Rev. John Stockton, D.D. was the pastor, and who assisted him in his studies and prepared him for D.D., College. from which he graduated in 1841. His theological studies were under the direction of Dr. Stockton, and he was licensed April 17, 1842, and ordained April 17. 1845. Previous to this he was married to Miss Martha McLain. a daughter of Williain McLain, long a ruling elder in this church. Her brothers. John and Joseph, served in the same capacity many years, have been a tower of strength in the Claysville church. In his wife he found a helpmeet worthy of his heart and work. I have seldom seen a woman of more tender, prayerful consecrated spirit, whose whole life was so bound up in her husband's work of saving souls as was hers. He began his ministerial life in the church of Unity, Greene county, Pennsylvania, in 1846, giving a part of his time as a supply to the church at Claysville. In 1852 he was called to this church over which he continued until his death in. 1881. The home was a log cabin in the yard of Mr. Braddock, and was given to the young preacher without rent. The salary was small, the house had one room. and the conveniences were few. But no murmur came from the occupant; no self-denial discouraged them in their work; they sought not theirs. but them; they labored to save souls, and they gathered in the harvest.
His life work was, however, done in Claysville. Thirty-five years he prosecuted his vocation, without interruption and with great success. In all this period he took no vacations until bodily infirmity compelled it, and died in the pastorate. This is what he had prayed forto go direct from the earthly labor to the unending rest.
"He was industrious, prompt and faithful in everything. He was not a man of profound and varied learning. The constant calls in all his ministerial lifefor pastoral work, visiting the sick, attending funerals outside his own congregation, and his own pulpit workforbade this. His Bible, Concordance, and a few wisely chosen books, well .read, were his books of study. When he stood at the sacred desk his appearance was so solemn, his words so tremulous with emotion, and his soul so full of the tender and beseeching spirit of his Lord, that every hearer felt he was in the presence of a man who had just come from the mercy seat and received the anointing of the Holy Spirit. He was a born Presbyterian, yet he was a man of broad.Christian views, ready to reach a fraternal hand to those who differed with him. The first step looking to the union of the old and new school branches of the church was taken at the assembly meeting in Newark, New Jersey, in 1864.. He was a member of that assembly. About forty ministers and elders signed a paper of which he was one, in the interest of a union.
"As a pastor he excelled. He never was strong and robust, yet in all seasons and in all kinds of weather, at all hours, he responded to every call His winning way, warm heart, and well chosen words fitted him for pastoral work. His last work, done when he was physically unable, was the writing of the annual narrative of the state of religion of this church for Presbytery, written with a trembling hand, and when read he had gone to the redeemed in heaven. He was for many years the stated clerk of Presbytery and the minutes were always correctly kept, and with great care. He was a conscientious and systematic giver to the benevolent work of the church. He never had a large income, but as money came to him a tithe was set apart to the Lord's cause. After his death a sum of money was found in an envelope appropriately marked to be given to the Boards.
"Many young men prepared for college by him, have entered the ministry. The impress of his character was stamped on them, and, like him, they have done and are doing good work for the Master. Had he done nothing but this, his life would have been well spent and worthy of honor. In the early years of his ministry, when his health was comparatively good, he was sought for in protracted meetings by the neighboring churches. He was adapted to this work, and blessed in it.
"His long time wife and companion passed away only a few months before him. They were heart-satisfied with each other, so united were they in affections, so similar in their sympathies, and so one in their life work, 'it seemed as if they had but one soul between them.' The children look back to .that home so full of precious associations of their sainted father and mother with thankful hearts.
"The Summons to 'come up hither' first came to the wife. It was a gradual failing of her strength, extending through several months. Her death he regarded as his call to set his house in order. Unable to discharge his duties in the church, his people relieved him of all care in this respect by securing supplies for the pulpit for several months, a kindness he fully appreciated. He sometimes thought he would be able to again take up his work, but rest brought no return of strength. He gradually sank, and entered into rest April 18, 1881. It was a happy going home. His funeral service was in the church where he had so long preached, conducted by his brethren of the Presbytery. A mourning congregation followed him to the grave, in which he was gently laid by his four sons, at the of their sainted mother."
All of the sons of Rev. Alexander McCarrell were ministers in the Presbyterian church; Samuel J. M., see forward ; Rev. William A. McCarrell, DD., at Shippensburg. Pennsylvania; April 5, 1906; Rev. J. J. McCarrell, D.D., of McKeesport, Pennsylvania; December 3, 1903; and Rev. T. C. McCarrell, of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. An only daughter, Elizabeth, died in girldhood.
Samuel J. M. McCarrell, eldest child of Rev. Alexander and Martha ( McLain) McCarrell, was born in Buffalo township, Washington coun Pennsylvania, October 19, 1842: He began his education in the common school, which he attended during the winter months, working on the in the spring and summer. When quite young he became, a clerk in the store of an uncle, in Claysville. He was prepared for college by his father, and in 1860 entered Washington College, from which he was graduated in 1864, as first honor man. As an incident of his college life it is to be noted that he served with his college company during the emergency period (confederate invasion) in 1863. For nine months after his graduation he served acceptably as assistant principal of Linsley Institute, in Wheeling, West Virginia, and while thus employed devoted his leisure hours to law reading under Mr. McKennan. In August, 1865, he removed to Harrisburg, and completed his professional preparation under the office tutorship of Hon. David Fleming. He was admitted to the bar of Dauphin county in November, 1866, and entered into practice in partnership with his preceptor, in the firm of Fleming & McCarrell, to the sole charge of which business he came at the death of Mr. Fleming. After fifteen years successful practice he was elected district attorney in 1881, and served with ability in that position fo two terms. An able and earnest supporter of Republican principles, in 1888 he was chosen a delegate to the national convention which nominated Benjamin Harrison for the presidency, and took an active part in the ensuing campaign. In 1892 he received the compliment of a unanimous nomination for state senator, and was continued in his seat by sucussive re-elections until 1900, and from 1895 to 1897 was president pro tem of that body. His record in the senate was highly creditable, and was marked by services of great usefulness on the floor of the senate, as well as on various important committees of which he was a member.
As presiding officer of the senate he bore himself with dignity, courtesy and entire fairness, and it is a notable fact that not once during his occupancy of the chair was a single appeal taken from his ruling. Under the act of April 14, 1897, he was made a member of the new Capitol Building Commission, charged with the adoption of plans for the new legislative edifice. In the same year he was permanent chairman of the Republican state convention, and he was a delegat-large in the national convention of 1896, which nominated Major William McKinley for the presidency. March 29, 1901, he was appointed by President McKinley to the position of United States district attorney for the newly formed middle district of Pennsylvania, and on the expiration of his four year term was reappointed (1905) by President Roosevelt, for the term expiring in 1909. He enjoys well deserved distinction both at the bar, and in public life. In the line of his profession he has taken a leading part in much of the most important litigations in the courts, local and appellate. Added to his legal ability, is excellent talent as a speaker, and while he is recognized as an effective advocate at the bar, his eloquence in legislative debate and before public assemblages has won for him a fame that is not confined .to the boundaries of his own state.
Mr. McCarrell has long been actively and usefully identified with various important local bodies. He is a ruling elder in the Market Square Presbyterian Church, and has for twenty-eight years served as superintendent of its Sunday school. He is a life member of the Harrisburg Young Men's Christian Association, of which he has been president, and he served on the building committee having in charge the erection of its first edifice. He has attained high rank in the Masonic orde r, having passed the chairs in Robert Burns Lndge, No. 464, the chapter and commandery, and being affiliated with the superior bodies including the Thirty-second degree, Scottish Rite; is a past noble grand in Harrisburg Lodge, No. 68, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; and a member of Pokoson Tribe, Improved Order Red Men. He is a member of the board of examiners of the Dauphin County Bar, and the Harrisburg Club; a director of the Harrisburg Foundry and Machine Company, and for many years a member of the Harrisburg Benevolent Association. He is also a member of the Union League of Philadelphia, anPennsylvania Civil Service Reform League. To all of these Mr. McCarrell lends active support, while to the community at large he is known for his public spirit and benevolence, and in an especial manner as a warm friend of the toiling class, for whose welfare he exerts every effort.
Mr. McCarrell married, December 21, 1871, Rebecca A. Wallace, born in Clearfield, Pennsylvania, daughter of Robert Wallace, who was a prominent member of the Clearfield county bar, and who died in 1875. Her brother William A. was a man of prominence, and served in the state senate for seventeen years; another brother, Samuel H., has been for thirty years a ticket agent for the Pennsylvania railroad in Philadelphia. Mr. and Mrs. McCarrell were the parents of two children: Wallace Alexander, died at the age of four years; and Samuel J. M. Jr., who died January 29, 1901, aged nineteen years.
Leonard Hervey Kinnard (Page 33-36)
The late Leonard H. Kinnard, of Harrisburg, was an old-time printer and a successful merchant. He possessed numerous commendable qualities characteristic of his Scotch-Irish ancestry, and was widely known and honored as a true friend 'and Christian gentleman.
William Kinneard, grandfather of Leonard H. Kinnard, was born in Scotland about the year 1750. He was descended from Scotch covenanters and his parents were strict Presbyterians. He learned the weaver's trade, and about the year 177o, shortly after becoming a journeyman, emigrated to America, settling near I3ossart's at the foot of North Mountain, Hamilton township, Franklin county, Pennsylvania. He was a member of the Presbyterian church aid earnestly devoted to his religious faith, walking seven miles to attend services each Sabbath. His death occurred July 30, 1822. He was married in Ireland, just prior to his departure for America, to Sarah McGraw, who born about the year 1752, and was also of Scotch descent. She died February 3, 183o. Both were huried at Rocky Springs cemetery. William and Sarah (McGraw) Kinneard were the parents of sixteen children.
James Kinneard, son of William and Sarah (McGraw) Kinneard, was born at Bossarts, October 3o, 1782. He married. Katherine Keefer, who was born in Strasburg, September 28, 1794, daughter of Dewalt Keefer. They resided for some years in the substantial old stone house at the foot of North Mountain, which is known as the Bossart mansion, and about 1836 removed to*Chambersburg. James Kinneard died of gastritis, December 14, 1838, and Katherine died of pneumonia, January 29, 1 844. They were interred in the old Lutheran cemetery at Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. They were the parents of eleven children. Mary, Sarah, Wiliam, John D., Margaret, died young; Elizabeth, died in infancy; James, Josephine, Catherine, (born) February 14, 1831, now resides in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, only one living, Leonard H., of whom further mention is made. Ellen.
Leonard Hervey Kinnard, son of James and Katherine (Keefer) Kinneard, was born in the old Bossart mansion in Hamilton township, May 10, 1833. His educational opportunities were limited, consisting of a short attendance, at school in Chambersburg, and of a few -winter terms at the old red school-house on the Warm Spring road near Cashtown, Franklin county, whither he went to reside with his brother-in-law, W. F.'Reamer, when eleven years old. He was left fatherless at the age of five years, became an orphan by the death of his mother six years later, and when sixteen years old was practically thrown upon his own inherent resources. At that time he took a clerkship in a general store at Chambersburg, which he retained a little more than a year, and then became an apprentice in the office of the Cumberland Valley Sentinel, where, in the short space of four years, he rose from the humble position of printer's devil to that of foreman. In 1853 he severed his connection with the Sentinel for the purpose of establishing The Tutor and Pupil, a monthly educational journal devoted to the interests of the common schools, but it soon became apparent that he did not possess a sufficient amount of capital to continue its publication in a satisfactory manner, and he accordingly disposed of his printing plant at terms which prevented him from incurring financial loss. In 1854 he worked at this trade for a short time in Harrisburg, and returning to Chambersburg remained there until July, 1855, when he accepted the position of foreman of the Rock Island, a loca newspaper in Rock Island, Illinois. He was, however, dissatisfied with his surroundings in the west, although his position was in every way an excellent one, and he had made a favorable impression with the people of that city. In January, 1856, he returned to Harrisburg, which from that time forward was his permanent abiding place, and entering the state printing office as a journeyman printer, under A. Boyd Hamilton, he was engaged in setting up legislative acts for some time, finally being advanced to the responsible position of foreman of the press-room. In 1862 he abandoned his trade for mercantile pursuits, establishing himself in the hat and cap business on Market street, and this enterprise proved so successful that, in 1875, he opened a branch store on Broad street. The Market street store was closed in 1879, and he thereafter devoted his energies to the Broad street establishment. He was one of the organizers of the American Mechanics' Building and Loan Association, which flourished from 1869 to 1877, and served as treasurer during the entire period of its existence. In 1875 he was chosen treasurer of the West Harrisburg Market Hose Company, in which'he was a stockholder, and became its superintendent in 1883, attending thereafter to both the financial and general business affairs of that corporation.
In politics Mr. Kinnard was a typical Democrat of the old school, and never withdrew his allegiance from that party, although his political activities were generally on the side of the minority. In 1879 he was his party's candidate for prothonotary of Dauphin county, running six hundred votes ahead of his ticket, and was subsequently nominated for the city treasurership but in each of these contests he suffered defeat at the hands of his Republican opponents. He was, however, elected city treasurer in 1881, and reelected in 1883, giving the city during his two official terms a thoroughly sound and business-like financial administration. His fraternal affiliations were with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Order of American Mechanics and the Heptasophs. In 1859 he united with the Zion Lutheran Church, and during the succeed ing twenty-five years served that body with ability and faithfulness in various important capacities, such as deacon, elder, choir-master, Sunday school teachers, assistant superintendent and superintendent of the second department. As one of the founders of the Bethlehem Lutheran Mission he was largely instrumental in establishing the church of that name which developed from it, and he acted as trustee, elder, treasurer and conductor of its choir for many years or until his death which occurred at his residence, 1118 North Third street, April 18, 1900, as the result of pneumonia. Possessing a good knowledge of men and affairs, a keen sense of humor and, above all, a thoroughly righteous character, he was popular with all classes irrespective of race, religion or politics, and a wide circle of sincere triends and personal acquaintances regarded his death as an irretrievable loss to the community.
On November 26, 1863, Mr. Kinnard was joined in marriage with Mary E. Hummel, daughter of Valentine and Mary Jane (Nielson) Hummel. She is a granddaughter of Colonel Frederick and Susannah (Hamaker) Hummel, and great-granddaughter of Frederick and Rosina Hummel, who were the founders of the family in America. The latter was born in Min, Germany, April 14, 1722, emigrated to America in 1738, and subsequently acquired possession of a large tract of land in Dauphin county, including the present thriving town of Hummelstown. In laying out the place he gave land for the erection of Lutheran and German Reformed churches, erected a school house, in which he stipulated that English branches should be taught, and called the place originally Fredericktown, but the name of the founder could not be obliterated, which seems to have' been a case of the "survival of the fittest." He was zealous, energetic and patriotic; participated in the French and Indian war; and was chairman of the patriotic meetings of Derry, held at Huntingdon, in June, 1774. He died June 25, 1775, and his remains, together with those of his wife and children, lie buried in the Lutheran churchyard at Hummelstown.
Colonel Frederick Hummel, son of Frederick and Rosina Hummel, was born in Derry township, October 4, 1758. His opportunities for obtaining an education were necessarily meagre, but his mental capacity was nevertheless active and became well developed. With his brothers he served in the revolutionary war, participating in campaigns in New Jersey and Philadelphia in 1776-77, and at the close of hostilities was major of a battalion of "Associators". He subsequently ranked as colonel in the state militia. As a leading spirit in local politics he held several important offices; was justice of the peace several terms; and in 1837 was commissioned by 'Governor Ritner associate justice of Dauphin county. .His death occurred in Hummelstown, October 31, 1847, at the advanced age of eighty-nine years.
Valentine Hummel, son of Colonel Frederick Hummel, was born in Hummelstown, March 12, 1812. He concluded his education in the public schools of Harrisburg, and at the age of seventeen years began an apprenticeship at the printer's trade with Jacob Babb, publisher of a local German newspaper. He subsequently became a member of the firm of Babb, Hummel and Bigler, for many years printers for the state, and publishers of the Morgenrothe, a well-known German Democratic organ.. In 1850 he was elected register of deeds. He afterwards engaged in mercantile pursuits and was successful.. For several years he was deputy collector of internal revenue for the fourteenth district, also served as collector of taxes and upon the board of school control. He was one of the leading members of Zion Lutheran Church, and served as superintendent of its Sunday school until prevented by physical disability from further performing his duties. He died August 26, 1880. He married Mary Jane Nielson, and they were the parents of fourteen children, nine of whom grew to maturity, namely: Catherine, Elizabeth, James, John, Margaret, Nancy, Sarah, Mary E., widow of late H. Kinnard, now living; William. The other children died in infanc Mrs. Kinnard has had three children: Ella May, wife of David H. Witmer, of Harrisburg, (see elsewhere). Leonard Hummel, of whom later. John Nielson, of Harrisburg, born December 26, 1873, married Laura Orth, succeeded his father in business.
Leonard Hummel Kinnard, son of Leonard H. and Mary J. (Nielson) Kinnard, was born in Harrisburg, September 5, 1869. After passing through the public schools of Harrisburg he spent one year in the Harrisburg Business College, and then took a position with the Harrisburg Steam Heat and Power Co., with whom he remained one year, resigning this in 1888 to accept a clerical position in the office of the secretary of The Penn Telephone Co. This he held for several years and then turned his attention to the technical part of the telephone business, mastering the details of the same, and was appointed manager of the Carlisle exchange, where he remained six months and was then transferred to Lancaster and placed in charge of that exchange, and at the expiration of one year his field of operation was extended to include the local office at Harrisburg. Rising gradually step by step he was next made superintendent of the southern division, and in the early part of 1901 was appointed general superintendent of the company, and shortly afterward was elected to the responsible position of general manager of the company. Without adulation or flattery it can be readily seen from the above that Mr. Kinnard is entitled to a large share of credit for this company's success.
Mr. Kinnard is a Democrat in politics and represented his ward in the city council for a number of years. That he takes an active interest in the' business affairs of the city is evidenced by the fact that he is a member of the board of trade and was president of this body in 1905-06. He is a trustee in the Bethlehem Lutheran Church. Socially Mr. Kinnard is a member of the Harrisburg and other clubs of the city. Mr. Kinnard married April 4, 1893, Sarah Elizabeth Peters, born Aug 4, 1879, in Harrisburg, daughter of Richard J. and Magdeline (Heiges) Peters. Richard J. Peters was born in Adams county and resides in Harrisburg, where he s engaged in the grocery business. Mr. and Mrs. L. H:. Kinnard are the parents of one son, Leonard Richard, born August 22, 1898.
Nissley Family (Page 36-38)
The following is the genealogy of the Nissley family, together with the personal history of Harmon L. Nissley, sixth in genealogical line from the American ancestor.
(I) Jacob Nissley, the original settler of the family, emigrated from the Palatinate, Germany, to America, in 1719, when Lancaster county was composed of Dauphin and Lebanon counties as one. He was naturalized in 1729, and resided in Mt. Joy township, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania. He had issue: John, married a Miss See grist. Martin, married (first) a Miss Snyder; (second) a Miss Stauffer. A daughter who married a Mr. Buhrman. A daughter who married a Mr. Ebersole. A daughter who married a. Mr. Stewart.
(II) John Nissley, eldest son of the Germarf emigrant, married and had issue as follows: Michael, born 1742. Abraham, horn 1744. Rev. John, born 1746, married a Miss Hartzler. Jacob, born 1748. Fanny, born 1759, married (first) a Mr. Frantz; (second) a Mr. Lang; (third) a Mr. Hiestand, and died in 1813. Rev. Samuel, born 1761, see forward. Martin,born 1763, married a Miss Lehman.
(III) Rev. Samuel Nissley, the sixth child of John Nissley, was born 1761, died August, 1838. Married (first) Barbara Kreider, by whom the following children were born: John, born December 9, 1786, in Rapho township, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, married Anna Hershey. Martin, born November 6, 1788, married Anna Bomberger, Samuel, born June 24, 1792, see forward. Rev. Christian, born October 20, 1794, married Magdelena Bomberger. Rev. Samuel Nissley married (second) Anna (Mumma) Kreider, by whom were born: Fanny (Veronica), born in 1798, married Jonas Eby. Jacob, horn December II, 1800, of Sporting Hill, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, married Barham Witmer. Henry, born in 1805, died May, 1841; married Mary Nissley. For his third wife Rev. Samuel Nissley married Maria (Long) Hohn ; no issue.
(IV) Samuel Nissley, son of Rev. Samuel Nissley, by his wife Barbara (Kreider) Nissley, was born January 24, 1792. He married Anna Eby. They had issue as follows: Henry, born 1814, died 1851; married Ann Hostetter. Fanny, born 1816, married Samuel Snyder. Christian, born 1818, married Fanny Brenneman. Samuel E., born 18r8, married (first) Anna Long; (second) Maria Hershey. Jonas, born 192a, died 1848. Benjamin, born 1823, married Susan Stauffer. Catherine. David, married a Miss; Rum
(V) Samuel E. Nissley, fourth son of Samuel and Anna (Eby) Nissley, was born
December 25, 1818, died June 25, 1887. He was a native of Lancaster county,
Pennsylvania, and became a prosperous farmer of that county, where he spent
his entire life. In politics he was a Whig and later a Republican. In religion
he leaned toward the Mennonite faith, but never joined the church. He married
Anna Long, daughter of Abraham Long, of German origin. She died November
15, 1863. They were the parents of ten children, as follows: Jonas L., a
farmer of Lancaster county. Abraham L., a retired farmer of Lancaster county.
Samuel L., of New York state, retired. Harmon L., mentioned at length in
this sketch. Benjamin L., a farmer of Lancaster county. Franklin L., of Lancaster
county. Henry Lincoln, of South Evanston, Illinois. The three children deceased
are Harriet, married Jacob Hostetter; Ellen, died at the age of six and a
half years; John who
died in infancy.
Harmon Nissley, son of Samuel E. and Anna (Long) Nissley, was born at Landisville, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, August 1, 1851. He received his primary education in the common schools of Lancaster county, and also attended select schools at Manheim and Lancaster and at the State Normal School at Millersville, Pennsylvania, graduating from the latter. He received his professional training at the Columbia Law School, New York city, graduating with the class of 1882. He then read law with George H. Ervin, Esq., and was admitted to the bar of Dauphin county, December 26, 1882, and to the supreme court of Pennsylvania in 1835. He has ever since been actively engaged in the legal profession at Harrisburg. In his political views Mr. Nissley is a supporter of the Republican party. He has been a member of the Harrisburg school board. The family attend the Lutheran church.
Mr. Nissley was united in marriage at Hagerstown, Maryland, February 10, 1892, to Clara J. Schindel, daughter of Louis and Susan Schindel. The children that have blessed this union arc: Dorothy S., born September 14, 1893. Edwin S., born May 1 6, 1895, died September 25, 1895.
Henry Moore Stine (Page 38-39)
HENRY MOORE STINE, D.D.S., of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, practitioner of dentistry and present recorder of Dauphin county, is a native of the state, born in Carlisle, April 26, 1862. He is a representative of an honored German family dating back to the pre-revolutionary period. Abraham Stine, great-great-great-grandfather of Dr. Henry M. Stine, a native of Germany, emigrated to America in 1748, in the ship "Edinburgh," sailing from Rotterdam. He brought with him his son Abraham, and it is supposed he had other children, but of this there is nothing definite. Abraham Stine, son of Abraham Stine, the emigrant, was born in Germany, October I, 1724, and was twenty-four years old at his coming. He served in the French and Indian wars, and in August, 1763, was commissioned ensign in the First Battalion of the Pennsylvania Regiment, serving in 1764 under Colonel Bouquet on his expedition southward. He also participated in the revolutionary war, first as a private in Captain Martin Sheter's company of Associators, and subsequently as a lieutenant in the Fourth Company of the Second Battalion, Lancaster county militia. He died in Jonestown, Bethel township, Dauphin (now Lebanon) county, Pennsylvania, May 30, 1807, aged eighty-three years, and is buried in the German Lutheran graveyard at that place. By his will, which is on record in Harrisburg, he left considerable property to be divided among his children. His wife, Anna Maria, born December 1, 1728, died August 18, 1799, was buried beside her husband.
George Stine, son of Abraham and Anna Maria Stine, was born February, 1774, and died January I, 1815. He served during the war of 1812-14 in Captain Peter Snyder's company, Second Regiment, First Brigade, Pennsylvania militia. He was married August 14, 1795, by Rev. William Kurtz, at Jonestown, to Susannah Frank.
Frederick Adolphus Stine, son of George and Susannah (Frank) Stine, was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, 1807, and died September 20, 1842. He was the first member of the order of Odd Fellows to die in that city, and was buried with the rites of the order. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he was a class leader for many years, and in politics was a Democrat. He married Susannah Montgomery.
George Wesley Stine, son of Frederick A. and Susannah (Montgomery) Stine, was born October 30, 1829. He attended the Harrisburg schools until he was thirteen years old when, his father having died, he went to reside with his uncle, John Stine, in.Lebanon, with whom he remained for two years. He then returned to Harrisburg, where he attended the high school for six months. For a year following he was employed by a cousin in a general supply store at Havre de Grace, Maryland. Returning at the end of that time to Harrisburg, be mastered the carpenter's trade, which he followed for seven years. He had higher ambitions, however, and at tne age of thirty one years he entered the Baltimore Dental College, and was graduated from that institution, immediately afterward entering upon practice in Harrisburg, and in which he became gratifyingly successful. He was a man of sterling character, and with his wife was a member of the Presbyterian Church. He had been an Odd Fellow since 1855, and was a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In politics he was an uncompromising Republican. He married, 1850, Anna Stouffer, and their children were Ellen, married Gilbert Weigle; and Matilda, deceased. The mother of these children died in 1854, and Mr. Stine married (second), July 1 1, 1861, Annie Neff, and to them were born children: Henry M., of whom further; George W., died April 30, 1875, aged eleven years; Margaret, died in 1871, aged two years. The mother of these children died March 8, 1896, and the father April 24, 1898.
Dr. Henry Moore Stine, eldest child of Dr. George Wesley and Annie ( Neff) Stine, received his education at the Harrisburg Academy and Dickinson College, Carlisle. He chose to follow the profession of his father, and pursued his professional studies in the dental department of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, and was graduated therefrom in 1885. He at once entered upon practice in Harrisburg, and has been successfully engaged therein to the present time. The outbreak of the Spanish-American war appealed to his patriotism, and, with Captain Calder, he joined in recruiting a company which was mustered into the service of the United States as Company I, Fourth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and in which he was commissioned second lieutenant. With this command Lieutenant Stine saw service in the expedition to Porto Rico, and at: the restoration of peace was honorably mustered out. He has been three times elected commander of the United States Spanish-American War Veterans.
Dr. Stine was elected recorder of Dauphin county in 1902, and his efficiency as an official found recognition in his re-election in 1905. He affiliates with the Republican party, and is a staunch advocate of the principles of his party. He is a member of the Harrisburg Club, and was president of that body in 1903. He also holds membership in the local lodges of Odd Fellows, Elks, and Woodmen of America.
Dr. Stine was married, June 24, 1886, to Evangeline M. Houck, daughter of Rev. W. A. and Maria Houck, the ceremony being performed in the Methodist Episcopal church in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, of which her father was pastor. One child of this marriage, Jackson Moore orn August 7, 1887, died May 11, 1891, at the age of four years.
LYMAN D. GILBERT, son of Henry Gilbert, for many years a prominent merchant of Harrisburg, was born in that city, August 17, 1845. His early education was received at the private school of Professor Jacob F. Seiler. He entered Yale University and graduated with the class of 1865. Immediately after his graduation he took up the study of law, and after the usual course of study was admitted to the bar of the county, August 26, 1863. In 1871 he formed a partnership with Wayne McVeagh and John B. McPherson, which continued until Mr. McVeagh left Harrisburg to take up the practice in Philadelphia; thereafter the partnership was under the name of Gilbert & McPherson.. This continued until Mr. McPherson was elevated to law judge of the twelfth judicial district.
In Nfarch, 1873, Mr. Gilbert was appointed deputy attorney-general of the state under the administration of Governor Hartranft. His appointment was made by S. E. Dimick, and after his death Mr. Gilbert acted as the attorney- general for several months, before a new appointment was made. He continued in that office until 1882, when he resigned and resumed the practice of his profession, forming partnership with the late John H. Weiss; this continued until Mr. Weiss was appointed to the law judgeship, in 1898, since which time he has practiced alone. Mr. Gilbert is not only one of the leaders of the Dauphin county bar, but is recognized as in the front rank of the bar of the state. His practice has been large, lucrative and diversified. He has a polished diction, a full vocabulary and a large faculty of description and forceful presentation of facts and law principles, so that with either jury or tow, his arguments carry conviction. While possessed of oratorical ability of a high order, it is not of the spread-eagle type. His manner is calm, his voice modulated and his tone more conversational than declamatory, yet lacks neither force nor effectiveness.
Mr. Gilbert, both as the law officer of the state and as a private practitioner, has been engaged in much interesting litigation, of the most important character, involving the nicest questions of constitutional and corporation law, In 1899 he was the president of the State Bar Association, and is now the president of the Dauphin County Bar Association, having been elected in January, 1903. A vacancy, in the autumn of 1903, in the membership of the supreme court, Mr. Gilbert was one of the first to be mentioned for the place, and the members of the Dauphin county bar to a man urged his appointment, and the bars of other counties, as well as lawyers of eminence and ability, made similar requests. In politics Mr. Gilbert is Republican, and has in presidential campaigns been pressed into service in the political arena. He has been high in the councils of the leader; of his party. Numerous platforms of Republican state conventions were from his pen. He is the attorney for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, Cumberland Valley Railroad Company, and Valley Traction Company.
JOHN M. J. RAUNICK, M. D., of Harrisburg, who is a graduate of
one of the foremost medical schools on this side of the Atlantic, is of German
parentage, and possessing many commendable characteristics belonging to
that sturdy race is rapidly acquiring prominence in the medical profession.
Christian Raunick, grandfather of Dr. Raunick, was born in Prussia,
January 26, 1807, and the greater part of his active life was devoted to agricultural
pursuits in Potsdam, near Berlin. His death occurred December 9,
1882. He married Christian Schwen, born September 26, 1812, died in
1874. They were the parents of four children: Frederick Augustus, see forward.
Marie, born June 1, 1845. Wilhelmina, born June 9, 1848. Henry.
horn November 27, 1862.
Frederick Augustus Raunick, father of Dr. Raunick, was horn in 13er.
lin, July 8, 1841. Having acquired a good education he taught school in his
native city for some time, until called upon to perform military duty, accord.
ing to the German law, and he was assigned to a regiment in the first guard,
receiving an honorable discharge at the conclusion of the stipulated term
of service. Shortly after leaving the army he emigratkd to the United States,
arriving in New York, June to, 1870, and proceeded direct to Harrisburg.
He was well-versed in the process of smelting iron ore and soon found em
ployment in the iron industrial establishment at Steelton, where he labored
continuously for over thirty years. He . was a prominent member of Trinity
Church (German Lutheran), and was officially ^onnected with that body.
In politics he was a Democrat. His death occurred in Steelton, November 8,
1902. He was married in Germany to Minnie Goldenohn, born in Pachin,
December 9, 1845. She became the mother of four children: E. J. Max,