By Luther Reily Kelker, The Lewis Publishing Company, New York
and Chicago, 1907
Transcribed by Nancy Piper for Genealogy Trails
John M. J. Raunick (Page 40-41)
JOHN M. J. RAUNICK, M. D., of Harrisburg, who is a graduate of one of the foremost medical schools on this side of the Atlantic, is of German parentage, and possessing many commendable characteristics belonging to that sturdy race is rapidly acquiring prominence in the medical profession.
Christian Raunick, grandfather of Dr. Raunick, was born in Prussia, January 26, 1807, and the greater part of his active life was devoted to agricultural pursuits in Potsdam, near Berlin. His death occurred December 9, 1882. He married Christian Schwen, born September 26, 1812, died in 1874. They were the parents of four children: Frederick Augustus, see forward. Marie, born June 1, 1845. Wilhelmina, born June 9, 1848. Henry. born November 27, 1862.
Frederick Augustus Raunick, father of Dr. Raunick, was born in Berlin, July 8, 1841. Having acquired a good education he taught school in his native city for some time, until called upon to perform military duty, according to the German law, and he was assigned to a regiment in the first guard, receiving an honorable discharge at the conclusion of the stipulated term of service. Shortly after leaving the army he emigratkd to the United States, arriving in New York, June 10, 1870, and proceeded direct to Harrisburg. He was well-versed in the process of smelting iron ore and soon found employment in the iron industrial establishment at Steelton, where he labored continuously for over thirty years. He . was a prominent member of Trinity Church (German Lutheran), and was officially connected with that body. In politics he was a Democrat. His death occurred in Steelton, November 8, 1902. He was married in Germany to Minnie Goldenohn, born in Pachin, December 9, 1845. She became the mother of four children: E. J. Max, born in Berlin, October i8, 1868. Lena, born in Steelton, January 17, 1873; wife of G. D. Kohlhaas, merchant tailor in Pittsburg, this state. John M. J., see forward. Louise, born in Steelton, December 18, 1878, died September 4, 1901, The mother of these children died August 3, 1884.
Dr. John M. J. Raunick was born in Steelton, September 5, 1875. His early education, acquired in the public schools, was augmented with an advanced course of instruction under the direction of private tutors, and his professional preparations were, for the most part, pursued at the University of Pennsylvania, from which he was graduated a Doctor of Medicine in 1900 with honors. For the succeeding year he held the responsible post of resident physician at St. Luke's Hospital, Bayonne, New Jersey, and from 1901 to the present time has practiced medicine in Harrisburg.
Dr. Raunick is a member of Harrisburg Consistory, attaining the thirty-second degree; Knights Templar; and is now (1906) a Junior Woodman and a member of Perseverance Lodge, No. 21, F. and A. M.
Dr. Raunick married, August 1, 1901, Lily Subers Larzelere, daughter of Benjamin and Jennie (Subers) Larzelere, of Bristol, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, and a descendant of Nicholas Larzelere, an early Huguenot immigrant. Nicholas and John Larzelere, brothers, arrived at Long Island from France about the close of the seventeenth century. Nicholas (1), who afterwards settled on Staten Island, was the father of four children: Nicholas, John, and two daughters. Nicholas Larzelere (2), son of Nicholas (1), moved his family from Staten Island to Bucks county, in 1741, settling in Lower Makefield. His children were: Nicholas, John, Abraham, Hannah, Annie, Margaret, Elizabeth and Esther. Nicholas Larzelere (3), grandson of the immigrant, was born on Staten Island about the year, 1734. He acquired possession of a large estate in Bensalem, this state, and died there at the age of eighty-four years. He was a revolutionary soldier. He married Harriet Britton, of Bristol township, who became the mother of eleven children: Benjamin, John, Abraham, Nicholas, Mary, Elizabeth, Sarah, Hannah, Nancy, Catherine, Margaret. The majority of these children resided in Bucks county and reared families, Some of the descendants of John Larzelere, son of the third Nicholas, are living in Philadelphia. A notable descendant of the first Nicholas in the present generation bears the name of his original American ancestor, and is a prominent lawyer of Norristown, Pennsylvania. The Rev. Jacob Larzelere, for many years pastor of the North and South Hampton Dutch Reformed Church, is a descendant of John Larzelere, previously referred to as the brother of the first Nicholas. Benjamin Larzelere, son of Nicholas and Harriet (Britton) Larzelere, was born in 1768. He settled and died in Bristol, at the age of eighty-four years. He married Sarah Brown, of Bristol, and had a family of eight children. William Larzelere, son of Benjamin and Sarah (Brown) Larzelere, was born in 1809. His son Benjamin was born in Bristol, December 25, 1854, married Jennie Subers, and their daughter, Lily Subers, is now the wife of Dr. John M. J. Raunick, as previously stated.
William Hoffer Earnest (Page 41-42)
Christopher Earnest (I) at an early day lived at Hummelstown, and from there removed to Pickaway county, Ohio, near Circleville, where he died about 1840.
(II) John Earnest, son of Christopher Earnest, was born March 24, 1773, died November 20, 1840, and was buried in the Lutheran graveyard at Hummelstown. His wife, Catherine (Rahm) Earnest, born December 22, 1779, died April 21, 1849, was related to \'1elchoir Rahm, a quartermaster in the war of 1812-14. John Earnest, in company with Samuel Shearer, by authority of an act of the Pennsylvania legislature, passed in 1818, built a toll bridge over the Swatara creek at Hummelstown, and was the collector of tolls on the same.
(III) Captain William Earnest, son of John and Catherine (Rahm) Earnest, was born September 4, 1809, at Hummelstown, Pennsylvania, and died at Jonestown, Lebanon county, June 6, 1873. He was a captain in the state militia for many years. He married Leah Desh, born at Fredericksburg, Pennsylvania, March 4, 1821, died February, 1902. Her mother's name was Fox; she came from Montgomery county, Pennsylvania. The children of Captain Earnest and wife were, besides one who died in infancy, John P., who was a lieutenant-colonel in the war with Spain, Fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and who lives at Pine Grove, Schuykill county. Catherine, (deceased) intermarried with Jonathan Schnader, of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Napoleon and Elias, of Hummelstown, and David M., of Jonestown.
(IV) Napoleon Earnest, son of William and Leah (Desh) Earnest, was born at Fredericksburg, Pennsylvania, March 13, 1850, and now resides at Hummelstown. He married Mary A. Hoffer, July 4, 1872, born near Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, June 9, 1846. One son was horn to them-William H. Earnest. Mary A. (Hoffer) Earnest was the daughter of Joseph Hoffer, who was born January 12, 1818, and died May 6, 189o. Joseph descended from Matthias Hoffer, who came from Switzerland in 1746. (The history of the Hoffer family appears elsewhere in this work.) Mrs. Napoleon Earnest's mother, Mary (Mumma) Hoffer was the (laughter of Christian Mumma. He was born May 12, 1783, and died May 3o, 1855. Christian Mumma was married three times. First to Fanny Nissley, who was born November 27, 1789, and died August 21, 1822. She was the mother of Mary (Mumma) Hoffer, who was born September 30, 1813, died January 4, 0371. Christian Mumma's father was John Mumma, who lived to be eighty-seven years old. He married Maria Longnecker, who came from Lancaster county, Pennsylvania.
(V) William H. Earnest, son of Napoleon and Slaty A. (Hoffer) Earnest, was born at Jonestown, Pennsylvania, April 3, 1875, and at the age of three years was brought to Hummelstown, Dauphin county, by his parents, where he was reared. He graduated from the Humelstown high school in 1892; Bloomfield Academy in 1893; Lafayette College, at Easton, Pennsylvania, in 1897. He was the vice-principal of the schools at Honesdale, Wayne county, Pennsylvania, for two years. He studied law and was admitted to the Wayne county bar, March 5, 19oo, and to the Dauphin county bar, January 14, 1901, since which time he has practiced his profession at Harrisburg. His office is at Third and Market streets, and his residence is at Hummelstown. He is a member of Washington Camp, No. 306, Patriotic Order Sons of America, and Honesdale Lodge, No. 218, Free and Accepted Masons.
Mr. Earnest was married April 3o, 1900, to Estelle Penney, only child of Ernest A. and Harriet A. (Folsom) Penney. They have two children; Ernest Penney, born September 17, 1901, and Joel Gates, born April to, 1904.
Kelker Family (Page 42a-42f)
THE KELKER FAMILY is of Swiss origin. Henry Kelker (I) and Regula Braetscher, his wife, came in 1743, locating in Lebanon township, Lancaster (now Lebanon) county, Pennsylvania. Their son (II) Anthony, born in Herrleberg, near Zurich, Switzerland, December 30, 1733, was about ten years old when he was brought to America. He was reared on the paternal farm, and received the very ordinary educational advantages of that day. He was active in the revolutionary struggle. August 28, 1775, he was commissioned lieutenant, Second Battalion of Lancaster Associators, and served in the campaign of 1776; in 1777 was an officer of militia at Brandywine and Germantown; January :9, 1778, was appointed wagon-master of Colonel Greenawalt's battalion ; and the same year was sent on a confidential mission to Virginia and Maryland. He was deputy sheriff of Lancaster county in 1781-82; upon the formation of Dauphin county in 1785 was commissioned first sheriff; was subsequently elected to that office, serving until 1788; and was a member of the state legislature 1793-94. He was a member and vestryman of the German Reformed church, and treasurer at the time (1794) of the erection of the old First church. He was a man of noble character. He died in Lebanon, March to, 1812. His wife, Mary Magdalena, daughter of George Meister, a Moravian, died December 3o, 1818. Their son
(III) Frederick, son of Anthony Kelker (2), was born October 29, 1780. He attended the parochial school of the Reformed church in Lebanon. He entered the store of Oves & Moore in May, 18ot, and in March, 1805, removed to Harrisburg, where with his former employers as partners, he established the first exclusive hardware store. In 1811 he purchased the interest of his partners, and was sole owner until 1825, when on account of impaired health he retired, disposing of the business to two young men who had been in his employ. He was averse to political distinction, but occupied various responsible positions; for several years he was a member and president of the borough council; a director of the Harrisburg Branch of the Philadelphia Bank, and was a director. of the common schools at their first establishment. He was remarkable for punctuality and rectitude of conduct, was held in deep respect for his knowledge of human nature, wise judgment and conservative character, and his advice was frequently asked by his fellow citizens in important affairs. He acquired a comfortable estate, and while he was always charitable, the latter half of his life was especially devoted to aiding the poor, the sick and the friendless, quietly and unobtrusively, but effectually. He was prominent in the affairs of the Reformed church, of which he was a member; he presided at the meeting oo November 17, 182o, to establish the first Sunday school, and was active in the erection of the church edifice which yet stands as a monument to his effort. He died in Harrisburg, July 12, 1857. He was twice married; first, to Lydia, daughter of Charles Chamberlain, of Philadelphia; and second, to Catherine, daughter of John and Sarah Fager, of Harrisburg.
(IV) Rudolph Frederick, son of Frederick and Catherine (Fager) Kelker, was horn in Harrisburg, February 17, 1820. When fifteen he entered the hardware store of Oglesby & Hinckley (successors to Oglesby & Pool, who were his father's successors), and remained until May, 1838, when, on account of delicate health, he left the store to take outdoor occupation, busying himself with the improvement of his father's lands in the vicinity of Harrisburg. November 18, 1842, he entered the hardware business with Mr. Oglesby as partner, this relation continuing until the death of the latter named, March 21, 1846. Mr. Kelker continued the business alone until May following, when he associated u ith himself his two brothers, under the firm name of Kelker & Brothers. He retired from the firm May 14, 1851, on account of failing health.
Mr. Kelker was one of the most prominent and useful factors in the community, his life through. From 1852 he served several triennial terms as a director of the Harrisburg Bank, and for several years occupied a similar position in the First National Bank. He was also a manager of the Harrisburg Cemetery. When Harrisburg was incorporated as a city he with several others were appointed by the legislature to lay out streets and avenues in the new territory included. He was a trustee of the Harrisburg Academy, 1854-1891, and long served as secretary and treasurer. He was one of the directors of the poor, 1866-72, and through his instrumentality suitable legislation was procured, additional buildings were erected, and the general management of the almshouse greatly improved. He was one of the founders of the City Hospital ; a manager from its organization in 1873 until 1889; treasurer from March, 1878, until he resigned ; and served on the superintending committee during the construction of the new building, 1883-84. He was one of the trustees of the Pennsylvania Lunatic Hospital in Harrisburg, 1873-74. He was made a director of the Harrisburg City Passenger Railway Company at its organization, 1874, and was treasurer from November 2 that year to May, 1891, when he resigned because of the company establishing Sunday service on its lines.
In religious and moral work Mr. Kelker was most active and efficient. When little more than three years old he was enrolled in the Sunday school of the Reformed church; was confirmed a member, December 27, 1835, by Rev. J. F. Berg; served as deacon, 1841 to 1849; was elder from 1849 to 1875, the year 1867 excepted, and served again as such from May, 1883, until his death. In the Sunday school he was a teacher from October, 1836, until April 29, 1850. From the latter date he was superintendent until January, 187o, when at the request of the consistory he took charge of an adult Bible Mass which in the first year was increased from twelve to ninetey members, and in December, 1874, numbered one hundred and sixty-one, when the consist:ory assigned the class to the pastor on account of Mr. Kelker's antiritualistic views. Mr. Kelker then on invitation organized and took charge of the adult Bible class of both sexes composed of persons of all denominations as well as o those who had no church relations, under the name, "Salem Bible Class of Harrisburg" (incorporated), and which became one of the established religious institutions of the city, with a valuable library. For many years Mr. Kelker was a vice-president of the Pennsylvania State Sabbath School Association, and one of the vice-presidents of the board of managers of the American Sunday School Union and of the American Tract Society. At his suggestion, in June, 1839, was founded the Harrisburg Sunday School Union, of which he was the first secretary, and he was made president at its reorganization in 1854. In 1845 he was elected a trustee of Marshall College, Mercersburg, and after its union with Franklin College, of Lancaster, he was until 1869 a corporate trustee of Franklin and Marshall College. He was one of the founders of the Young Men's Christian Association, in December, 1854, and in 1856 was elected president.
Mr. Kelker was an earnest worker in the Reformed church. When the Eastern Synod was organized, in 1859, he was one of the five trustees named in the charter, first president of the board, and afterward treasurer for a number of years. From 1863 until October, 1890 (three years excepted), he was treasurer of the board of foreign missions of the general synod. He was on the synodical committee to prepare the "Triglott Tercentenary Heidelberg Catechism," published in 1863, but dissented from the final action of that body, holding that many changes made in the new English translation were unwarranted. He repeatedly represented his congregation in classis, and the classis as delegate to the synod. In 1866, as a member of the Synod of York, he made earnest opposition to the adoption and reference of the "New Order of 'Worship" to the General Synod. With others, in 1867 he issued a call for a convention of ministers and elders of the Eastern Synod, which met in Meyerstown, to protest against the "Order of Worship" as being contrary to the doctrines and cultus of the Reformed church. As a result, Ursinus College was established, in 186g, at Freeland, under the presidency of Rev. J. H. A. Bomberger, D. D., with a university charter which enabled the institution to teach theology as well as the classics. In 1879 Mr. Kelker was a member of the Peace Commission, consisting of twelve ministers and twelve elders chosen by direction of the General Synod of the Reformed church of the United States by the several district synods, to meet in Harrisburg and adjust the existing differences in doctrine, cultus and government. As a result, after a discussion continuing for eight days, a basis of union was unanimously adopted and a new era in the history of the church was inaugurated, which restored harmony. The labors of the commission were unanimously approved by the General Syn,,d, and the same members were directed to prepare an "Order of Worship" for the denomination, suited to its wants, and evangelical in character, which work was perfected in 1884, and was constitutionally adopted as "The Directory of Worship of the Reformed Church in the United States."
Mr. Kelker was also earnest and active in temperance work. In 1837, when only seventeen years old, with his intimate friend James Cowden ( whose suggestion it was), they organized the first total abstinence society in Harrisburg, the temperance organizations at this time permitting the use of malt and vinous beverages. In 1840 he took a prominent part in the Washingtonian temperance movement, and often sat as a representative in state conventions. Since the beginning of tilt Washingtonian movement Mr. Kelker acted as. chairman of the executive committee appointed by the lawabiding people of Harrisburg to inspect applications for dramshop licenses in order to prevent improper persons from obtaining the same, and to oblige compliance with the provisions of the license laws. As foreman of the grand jury in 1871, 1873 and 1879, he presented the license law as a public nuisance, submitting statistics which commanded great attention, of the report of 1873 more than' fifty thousand copies being printed by the friends of temperance, and in accordance with suggestions in the report almost onehalf of the applications that year for hotel and saloon liquor licenses, were refused by the court.
Mr. Kelker married, June 17, 1844, Mary Anne, daughter of General William Reily, and their children were:. Frederick, Luther Reily, Rudolph Frederick, and William Anthony Kelker. The mother of these children died August 27, 1890.
Mr. Kelker died October 3, 1906. His familiar friend, Rev. Ellis N. Kremer, paid fervent tribute to his memory in an obituary paper which he read before the Historical Society of Dauphin County, and which was published in the Reformed Church Messenger, and which contained the following: "The city was preparing for the festivities of the next day. He (Mr. Kelker) had seen the old capitol built. He knew its builder. He loved it with a peculiar love, characteristic of those who value the past. His heart had been shaken when the old building fell in ruins. But he lived to know of the completion of the new, beautiful and commodious structure which has taken its place. So much satisfaction at least he had in the temporal things which arc for the use and honor of the great state he so ardently loved. . . . Sure of his entrance into the blessed abode, our departed friend looked to his approaching death without fear, and awaited its approach with equanimity. Calmly, gently and peacefully Ile fell asleep, with relatives and friends around him. And of him we may truly say, though 'being dead, he yet speaketh."
(IV) Dr. Immanuel Meister, son of Frederick Kelker (3), born in Harrisburg, May 21, 1822, was educated in the home school, and spent one year in Marshall College, after which he entered the dry goods house of John C. Bucher & Co., Harrisburg. In May, 1846, he engaged in the hardware business with his two brothers, Rudolph F. and Henry A. Kelker, with whom he remained until his death, March 30, 1880. He was many years a director in the Harrisburg Bank. He was a lifelong member of the Reformed Salem church, and gave liberally of his means for church and benevolent work, the founding of mission Sunday schools, etc. He was a deacon for many years, and an ardent temperance man. He married September 21, 1847, Mary Ann Jefferson, daughter of George and Sarah Smith (Shrom) Beatty, and their children were: Catherine, George B., Frederick.
(IV) Henry Anthony, son of Frederick Kelker (3), born December 16, 1825, was carefully reared at home, attended the pritnary schools, and the Harrisburg Academy, under Professor Alfred Armstrong. From 1842 to 1846 he attended Marshall College, and then arranged for a partnership with his brother in the hardware store at Harrisburg, established by his father in 1805. This accomplished, he returned to college, expected to graduate, but was called home by the illness and death of his mother, and he relinquished his studies to engage in business. The firm, composed of the three brothers (Rudolph F., Immanuel M. and Henry A.) carried on business until May, 1851, when Rudolph retired. The store was No. 5 (now No. 9) South Front street, but in 1857 it was tmuoved to the southeast corner of Market Square. A large trade was built up, and April 1, 1878, Henry A. withdrew, selling his stock to Luther R. and William A., (nephews), and his brother Immanuel. Mr. Kelker wisely invested his capital in home enterprises. For many years he has been a director in the Harrisburg National Bank, the Chestnut Street Market Company, the Harrisburg Gas Company, the Steam Heat and Power Company, the Pennsylvania Telephone Company, the Harrisburg Traction Company, president of the Harrisburg Passenger Railway Company since its inception in 1874, and of the Harrisburg Burial Case Company and Harrisburg Furniture Company. He was one of the proprietors of "Baldwin," (now known as Steelton), where he erected many buildings, including the bank and postoffice blocks. He is it Republican, and has served on the common council. He is a member and officer of the Reformed Salem church of Harrisburg, which he joined by certificate from the church at Mercersburg, while in college. He married, October II, 1855; Ellen, daughter of Colonel John Roberts, and their children were: Frederick A., John Roberts, Mary Anna, Anne Roberts, Henry A,, Rudolph F., Ellen, Edith V. and Katherine M. Frederick A., John R. and Rudolph F. died in infancy. Mrs. Kelker died February, 1893. She was a devout member of the Reformed Salem church, a most affectionate mother, and a true friend to humanity.
( V) Luther Rely, second son of Rudolph Frederick and Mary Anne ( Reily) Kelker, was born in Harrisburg, February 29, 1848. He was educated in that city in the public school and Professor Seiler's academy, from which he graduated in 1866. Next year he became clerk for Kelker & Brother, hardware merchants, remaining until April 1, 1878, when the firm dissolved. May 1st, with his brother, William A. Kelker, he opened a hardware establishment under the firm name of Kelker Brothers. In 1883 his brother retired, and Luther R. Kelker continued alone until 1892, when continued ill health obliged him to retire.
During his enforced retirement from mercantile life Mr. Kelker found opportunity to devote his attention to what he had ever held in liking-from childhood-early Pennsylvania history. During his convalescence he began to read and closely study what had been put in the Colonial Records and Pennsylvania Archives, and on regaining his health he obtained permission to make an examination of the unpublished records in the basement of the capitol. While he was thus occupied the American Historical Association appointed a committee to examine into the condition of published and unpublished papers in the various states of the Union. Dr. Herman V. Ames, Professor of American History in the University of Pennsylvania, having been appointed by the American Historical Association to examine the Pennsylvania records, came to Harrisburg to consult with the heads of departments. and was by them referred to Mr. Kelker on account of his familiarity with the material in question. Dr. Ames warmly appreciated the aid thus extended, and in his report (1901) to the American Historical Association gave Mr. Kelker cordial recognition "for generous services and valuable information." Mr. Kelkar about this time took up historical and genealogical research as a profession. On April 14, 1903, Governor !)ennypacker approved a bill constituting a new department, to be known as the Division of Public Records, and on June 1st Mr. Kelker was appointed to organize it. He had entire charge, fitting up rooms, and installing filing cases of his own design. This was the first department of its kind in the United States, and various states have availed themselves of Mr. Kelker's experience, and have given him generous recognition. Mr. Kelker has occupied his position to the present time, his official designation being Custodian of Division of Public Records. He has performed diligent work on twenty-two volumes of the Pennsylvania Archives, the editor of which testified heartily to Mr. Kelker's devotion, saying that it would have been Practically impossible to have produced the present series without the aid of one whose enthusiasm was so well sustained. He organized his own working force, and among the work performed by himself and assistants has been the restoration of almost undecipherable documents-early colonial lists of inhabitants, etc., and rolls of soldiers in the French and Indian War, the Revolutionary War, the Whisky Insurrection, and the 'War of 1812. Mr. Kelker's plans have met the approval of leading historical students throughout the country, and are recognized as having largely aided in opening up.investigation of original documents 'by students from universities and colleges throughout the country. Mr. Kelker has also performed a great deal of genealogical work. He is an active member of various leading societies in the line of his calling-the American Historical Association, the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, the Bibliographical Society of America, the American Library Association, the Pennsylvania Historical Club of Philadelphia, the Pennsylvania German Association, the Pennsylvania Society Sons of the Revolution, the Historical Society of Dauphin County, and member of its publication committee, and is corresponding member of the Historical Society of Schuylkill County and that of York County. He is a member and officer of the Market Square Presbyterian church; in politics is a Republican, and takes an active interest in Free Masonry, being a past officer in all the bodies from the Blue Lodge to the Consistory, inclusive.
Mr. Kelkor married, October 7, 1874, Miss Agnes Keyes Pearsol, of an old Lancaster (Pennsylvania) family, daughter of John H. and Cecelia ( Ober) Pearsol, her father being editor and one of the owners of the Lancaster Express. Of this marriage have been born children: Rudolph Frederick, graduate of Pennsylvania State College, now a civil engineer, in charge of reconstruction of the entire street railway system of Chicago, and consulting engineer of the Goldschmidt Thermit Company, New York City. 2. John Pearsol. 3. Mary Reily, married, September 6, 1906, Roscoe Williams Sturges, of the Central Fruit Company, Mansfield, Ohio.
F. Y. H.
Reily Family (Page 42f-42h)
John Reily (I), the first of the name in this country, was born near Stevens Green, Dublin, Ireland, date of which, as, well as time of arrival in America, is unknown. He was a resident of Philadelphia, and there was scrivener and conveyancer. He was an expert penman and taught writing in Dove's school, Philadelphia, as is mentioned by Alexander Graydon in his "Memoirs," published in Harrisburg, 1811, by John Wyeth, He was a member of Christ church of Philadelphia, and was much interested in the organization of St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal church, erected about I760.
John Reily was twice married. By his first wife he had a daughter Sarah, born June 16, 1748, married, April 10, 1765, Captain John Ross. By his second wife, Mary (Hillhouse) Reily, whom he married October 15, 1749, he had Iwo sons: John, born April to, 1752, and Samuel, July 5, 1756, both baptized in Christ Church, Philadelphia. The date of his death is uncertain; his will was made, however, November I, 1765, its number being 285, recorded in the register's office in Philadelphia, 1776. The character of the man is revealed in this unique document. It begins, "Thou Eternal and Merciful Jehovah, in Thy Adorable Name," etc., and directs that "my body may be interred in the church yard of St. Paul's Church, in this city, at the east end of said church, anti as near the same and the center thereof as conveniently may be without the ridiculous ceremony or extravagance of pall, scarves, hatbands, gloves, wine, or other liquor. I positively enjoin that not one of my family shall appear in black, or have the least mark or sign of mourning on them at my funeral. I hope and do believe to have a joyful Resurrection to life eternal in heaven, by and through the alone merits and mediation of Thy Beloved Son and my Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ." He made "my trusty and esteermd friends" John Ross and John Ord, and his son-in-law, Capt. John Ross, Jr., his executors, "and most solemnly requeit them to give my sons a pious and liberal education, which in a great measure, with Thy blessing, 0 Lord, will lend to their future peace, joy and prosperity."
(II) John Reily, eldest son of John Reit) , (I), born April to, 1752, was educated at the Academy of Philadelphia (now 'University of Pennsylvania) and at Lancaster C'ty. He was admitted to the bar in the counties of Philadelphia, York (1773), Lancaster and Dauphin (1785). He was commissioned captain in the Twelfth Pennsylvania Line of the Continental army, October 1, 1776, under Colonel William Cooke. He was transferred to the Third Line of the same army under Colonel Thomas Craig. Owing to disabilities from wounds received in New Jersey he was transferred to the Invalid Regiment, August 12, 1780, under Lewis Nichols, commander. He retained his rank and was finally discharged in 1783. He was one of the original members of the Society of the Cincinnati. He married, May 20, 1773, at Lancaster, Elizabeth, born April 2, 1755, daughter of Isaac Myers, founder of Myerstown, Pennsylvania. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Thomas Barton, rector of St. James Protestant Episcopal Church. John Reily died May 8, 1810; his wife died April 2, 1800; both are buried at the Tulpehocken churchyard near Myerstown. They had . issue: 1. Isaac, born March 28, 1774, died in infancy. 2. John, born June 17, 1775, died June 8, 1822. 3. Isaac Myers, born August 19, 1777, died at Hopkinsville, Kentucky, June 24, 1823. 4. John Myers, born October 1, 1784, died June 8, 1822. 5. Anna Susanna, born December to, 1786, date of death unknown. 6. James Ross, born October 31, 1788, died March 18, 1844, at York, Pennsylvania. 7. Eve, born December 17, 1790, date of death unknown. 8. William, born August 14, 1792, died July 28, 1843, at Harrisburg. 9. Luther, see forward.
(III) Dr. Luther Reily, youngest child of Captain John Reily (2), was born December 7, 1794, at Myerstown, Pennsylvania, and on the death of his, father came to Harrisburg, where he began the study of medicine with Dr. Martin Luther. In the war of 1812-14 he marched as a private in Captain Richard M. Crain's company of volunteers to Baltimore, Maryland. He was subsequently detailed as assistant surgeon. At the close of the war he resumed his practice at Harrisburg, where later he was at the head of his profession. Although not taking an active part in politics, he was prominent in public affairs. He was a member of the Twenty-fifth United States congress. He died at Harrisburg, February 20, 1854, lamented by the community, which appreciated him as the "good doctor." He married Rebecca, daughter of Henry Orth. She survived her husband but a few months. Their children: Elizabeth, died unmarried; Emily, married Dr. George W. Porter; John W.; George Wolf, see forward; Caroline, died unmarried.
(IV) Dr. George Wolf Reily, son of Dr. Luther and Rebecca (Orth) Reily, was born November 31, 1834, at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He resided in that city all of his life with the exception of a short period spent in Pittsburg. He attended the Harrisburg Academy, the head of which was Rev. Mahlon Long, and he was a schoolmate of Professor T. F. Seilers. He graduated from Yale College in 1854, and took a one year course in a large banking house in Pittsburg. He then returned to Harrisburg and studied medicine with Dr. Edward L. Orth, who had been associated with his father, and graduated from the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania in 1859. He entered upon the practice of his profession and vats successful. He was especially kind to the pow, whom he not only helped by his skill as a physician, but with his means. Many stories are related of his visits to helpless and indigent patients, and of the charitable deeds of both himself and wife. He was elected president of the Harrisburg National Bank, September 28, 1870, to succeed Judge Valentine, and abandoned practice, to the regret of hundreds of families, to devote his entire attention to banking. He was president of the Harrisburg Gas Company, Harrisburg Boiler Manufactoring Company, and a director of the Harrisburg Academy, City Passenger Railway Company, Harrisburg Burial Case Company, Harrisburg Furniture Company, Kclker Street Market Company, Harrisburg Bridge Company, and other corporations. He was ever ready to help the struggling business man, and many young men owed their start in life to his assistance. He was a decided Democrat, and in religion a Presbyterian, belonging to Market Square church many years.
Dr. George W. Reily married, February 8, 1861, Elizabeth Hummel Kerr, born February 8, 1841, daughter of William M. and Elizabeth (Hummel) Kerr. William M. Kerr was at one time president of the Harrisburg Bank. He was son of the Rev. William Kerr, pastor of the Presbyterian church at Donegal; he married Mary Wilson, only child of James and Mary ( Elder) Wilson, the latter a daughter of John Elder, well known in Dauphin county and the state at large. Elizabeth (Hummel) Kerr, wife of William M. Kerr, was a daughter of Judge Hummel. Children of Dr. and Mrs. Reily: Elizabeth Hummel, born October 13, 1867, married, October 2, 1889, Edward Bailey, and their children are: Elizabeth, Martha and George Reily Bailey. 2. George Wolf, Jr., see forward. 3. Caroline. All of these children, with their mother, survived Dr. Reily. The death of Dr. Reily, on February 8, 1892, was the result of a complication of diseases which confined him to his room a few months prior to his death. A coincidence in his death was furnished by the fact that he was called home from Yale College, February 20, 1854, to attend the funeral of his father, just as his son, George Wolf, Jr., was summoned from his studies at Yale to pay the last tribute of respect to him. The statement was made at the time of his death that "He has gone to receive the reward promised by Him who said, 'He that giveth to the poor lendeth to the Lord.' " Dr. Reily was a man and a citizen without guile. He was domestic in his tastes and spent most of his time in the bosom of his family. He found his chief pleasure with those nearest and dearest to him, and was always content when they were around him. He was very fond of books, and was one of the best informed men in Harrisburg on all current topics. He was frequently mentioned for office, but always seemed averse to office holding.
(V) George Wolf Reily, son of Dr. George Wolf (4) and Elizabeth H. (Kerr) Reily, was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, November 21, 1870. He attended the Harrisburg Academy, and graduated from the literary department of Yale University with the class of 1892. After leaving college he was a clerk in the Harrisburg Bank and Trust Company until February 24, 1897, when he was appointed national bank examiner by President Cleveland, and served under Cleveland, McKinley and Roosevelt, resigning May 15, 1902, to become treasurer of the Harrisburg Trust Company. He is also vice-president of the Pennsylvania Assurity Company, and vice-president of the City Passenger Railway Company. Mr. Reily is independent in politics, and in church relations is a member and trustee of the Market Square Presbyterian Church. He belongs to the Harrisburg Club, of which he was president in t9o4-05; Inglenook Club, of which he is president (1907) ; Country Club of Harrisburg; University Club of Philadelphia;- Yale Club of New York, and New Haven Club.
George W. Reily married,. April 29, 1903, Louisa Hoxall Harrison, of Baltimore, Maryland, 'daughter of Charles K. Hoxall, and is descended from the old Virginia Harrisons. They have a son, George Wolf Reily, the third of this name in direct line, born December 27, 1905.