Welcome to Pennsylvania Genealogy Trails!
Delaware County Pennsylvania
History and Genealogy
Obituaries and Death Notices

6 Feb 1880
Sudden Death-James Anderson, a boy about 14 years of age, of 324 East Fourteenth street, died quite suddenly last night. He was at work yesterday, but was seized with pneumonia which terminated in death in a very short time. James was a good boy, and highly spoken of by his employers. (February 7, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania - Contributed by Shauna Williams)

21 NOV, 1879
Died-Anderson-On the 21st inst., John Anderson, in the 41st year of his age. The relatives and friends of the family are respectfully invited to attend the fuenral from his late residence, No. 321 East Fourteenth street, on Monday afternoon, Nov. 24th. Meet at the house at 2 o'clock. Interment at Chester Rural Cemetery. (November 22, 1879 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams

12 May, 1880
Died on May 12th, 1880, Julia Anderson, aged 25 years. She lived with Dr. Harvey for a long time, and when she was taken sick she was removed to her stopping place, near Seventh and Lamokin streets. Dr. Harvey attended her while sick, and paid the entire funeral expenses. She was a member of Burton's Council, No. 25, of the T.E. Order of the Sons and Daughters of St. Luke, who duty it is to bury all members in good standing. Her parents live in Oxford, which place her body was removed to, and the Lodge gave a fee of $25 to her parents. (May 13, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams

BATTIN, Joseph
29 August, 1893
Battin, Joseph, civil engineer, born near Philadelphia, Pa, in 1807 ; died in New York city, Aug. 29, 1893. He was educated for a civil and mechanical engineer; was the first man to demonstrate the practicability of carrying water from Lake Erie, through a tunnel, to supply Buffalo, on the system now used in Chicago; built the Albany, N. Y., gas works in 1844, and subsequently gas works at Washington, D. C, Syracuse, N. Y., arid Paterson, N. J., gas and water works at Charleston, S. C, Scranton, Pa., and Elizabeth, N. J., and the water works at Rochester and Buffalo, N. Y., and invented the coal breaker and a steam road carriage. He acquired a large fortune, and in 1874 settled in Elizabeth, N. J., to manage the water works, which he practically owned. Ho gave the city a building for a high school that cost $240.000; the Elizabeth Hospital, $5,000; and various sums to a number of local charities. In 1890 he became interested in the faith-cure movement, and began giving so liberally to its promoters that the aid of the courts was invoked by his family to prevent the dissipation of his property. (American Annual Cyclopaedia and Register of Important Events, Volume 33, 1893)
Contributed by Robyn G.

2 April, 1880
Died-Batting-In Media, on the 2d inst., of catarrhal pneumonia, Wesley Batting, in the 31st year of his age. The friends and relatives of the family are respectfully invited to attend his funeral, from his late residence, in Media, on Tuesday, April 6th, at two o'clock p.m. Funeral to proceed to Media Cemetery. (April 3, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Media Letter- The Record has sustained a severe loss in the death of J.W. Batting, who died on the night of Friday, April 2d. Throughout the borough there are many expressions of sympathy for the bereaved family, and a general regret that one so young and so useful should have had such a short career. Mr. Batting leaves a wife and four little children to mourn his loss. (April 7, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Mr. J.W. Batting, the recently deceased editor of the Media Record , had his life insured for $12,500. This will leave his widow in very comfortable circumstances. We hope she will get it without an expensive lawsuit. (April 8, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams

1 Aug, 1879
Died-Bishop-In Media, on the 1st inst., Mary, relict of the late William Bishop, in the 77th year of her age. Funeral Tuesday at 2 PM (August 1, 1879 Chester Daily Times Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams

BONSALL--On the morning of her ninetieth year, MARY D. BONSALL, widow of David Bonsall. Her friends are respectfully invited to attend the funeral, from the residence of her daughter, Rachel C. Pyott, Marple. Meet at the house at 1 o'clock this afternoon. Proceed to Darby Friends' Burying Ground. Carriages will meet 9.08 train from Broad Street Station at Lansdowne. Philadelphia Inquirer, 2 MAR 1886 pg 2
Contributed by Kathy Brown

BOWER, Thomas L.
26 Feb. 1886
BOWERS-On the 26th February, at Wissinoming, Philadelphia. THOMAS L. BOWERS, formerly of Chester, PA., aged forty-nine years. The relatives and friends of the family are respectfully invited to attend the funeral, on Wednesday, March 3, at 8 1/2 o'clock A. M., from his late residence, Wissinoming. To proceed to Fallsington by train from Wissinoming at 20.32 A. M. Philadelphia Inquirer, 2 MAR 1886 pg 1 Kathy Brown
BOYD, Lottie
June 1, 1880
Burned To Death-Lottie Boyd, a young girl 18 years of age, daughter of James Boyd, who lies at Trainer's Bank, met with a frightful accident Monday night, which resulted in her death on Tuesday morning about nine o'clock. Mrs. Lutton, a neighbor, started on Monday to visit her sick husband, in Delaware, and Lottie consented to remain with the children. That evening Lottie and the children were sitting around the table sewing by the light of a coal oil lamp, which was noticed to be leaking. Miss Boyd picked it up from the table, and while doing so it is thought the chimny(sic) fell off. In her efforts to catch the chimney she doubtless upset the lamp, and the oil ran over her clothes. These became i??ited and burned rapidly. She ran to the front door, her clothes in a blaze, and here she fell. Those near her endeavored to smother the flames with carpet, but before this could be done she was frightfully burned. Dr. Cardeza was called and did all he could for the suffering girl, but her body, from her chin to her knees, was burned to a crisp, and to save her life was impossible. She died about nine o'clock yesterday morning in great agony. She was a general favorite with those who knew her, and her death is greatly deplored. (June 2, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
BROOKE, Benjamin
February, 1880
Benjamin Brooke, who committed suicide in Radnor township, Delaware county, the other day, was worth about $40,000, which he made preparing ice cream. (Feb. 18, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
BROWN, Margaret A.
19 December, 1903
BROWN - On December 19, 1903. Margaret A., daughter of Michael and Margaret Brown. Relatives and friends, also Society of the Blessed Virgin Mary of St. Philomena's Church are invited to attend the funeral services on Tuesday Morning, December 22 at 8:30 o'clock from her parents residence 120 E Nack St. Landover, Delaware County, PA. Requiem mass at St. Philomena's church at 9:30 o'clock. Interment at New Cathedral Cemetery. (Philadelphia Inquirer) December 20, 1903 Dawn Minard
Genealogy Trails
BULLOCK, Sallie J.
14 Nov, 1879
Died-Bullock-In Bethel township, on the 14th inst., Sallie J. Bullock, daughter of Alfred and Sarah Bullock. Funeral on Tuesday, Nov. 18. To leave the house at 2 o'clock. (November 15, 1879 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
BURK, Norah
12 October, 1879
Died-Burk-In South Chester, on the 12th inst., Norah, daughter of Michael and Mary Burk, aged 6 years and 3 months. The relatives and friends of the family are respectfully invited to attend the funeral, from the residence of her parents, at Third and Highland avenue, tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon. To leave the house at 2 o'clock. Funeral to proceed to St. Michael's cemetery. (October 13, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
May 2, 1977
BURNS, On May 2, 1977 Mary (nee BOULAIS) wife of the late Charles F. Burns of 3421 Verner Street, Drexel Hill, mother of Charles, Robert, Joseph, Irene Lozowicki and Mary Larkins. Relatives and friends are invited to attend the funeral Thursday at 8:30AM at Spencer T. Videon Funeral Home, Garret Road at Shadeland Avenue, Drexel Hill, where friends may call Wednesday after 7PM. Mass of Christian Burial 10Am, St. Andrews Roman Catholic Church Foss Avenue and School Lane, Drexel Hill. Memorials may be sent in her name to the church. Internment Calvary Cemetery. (The Philadelphia Inquirer, 03 May 1977) Janice
Jul, 1879
Fatal Accident-On Monday last, as James Calhoun, of Haverford, was getting into his carriage to attend the funeral of Robert Orr's daughter, at Newtown, he slipped and fell under the vehicle, which caused the horse to start, the wheels of the carriage passing over him inflicting injuries from which he died in a short time. Mrs. Calhoun, who was in the carriage when the horse started, was thrown out and seriously injured. (July 30, 1879 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
9 March 1961
HAROLD B CAMPBELL, 56, 102 Llewellyn Ave, Glenolden, a former employe of Schalbig Co., of Philadelphia, died Thursday in Samuel Dixon Hospital, Mount Alto, PA., after an illness of 11 months. Mr. Campbell was a native of Paterson, N.J. and had lived in Glenolden for five years. He is survived by his widow, Elizabeth C. McElvenny Campbell, five children, Lawrence at home, Joseph, US Air Force, stationed at Amarillo, Texas: Roberta and Nancy and one other, at home; his mother, Mrs. Maude Campbell of Fort Lauderdale, FLa, and a sister, Mrs Walter Pulis of Fort Lauderdale.
The funeral will be Monday at 2 p.m. at the McCausland funeral home, 202 S. Chester Pike, Glenolden. Burial will be in Mt. Moriah Cemetery, P)hiladelphia. Friends may call from 7 to 9 pm. at the funeral home. Delaware County Daily Times, PG 2, 10 Mar 1961
Genealogy Trails
CARSON, Philip R
November, 1931
Philadelphia-Philip R. Carson, 55, died of a heart attack shortly after being assured of his re-election to the Sharon Hill Borough Council. (Thursday Evening, November 5, 1931, Page 13, Lebanon Daily News)  
Apr, 1880
A very sudden death occurred in our village on Sunday. A daughter of Thomas Cohen, recently from Canada, and formerly a resident of Upland, was taken sick last Saturday, after she came from her work at the mill, and died on Sunday. She was a little over fifteen years old. Drs. Rose and Cardeza were called to her aid, but their efforts could not save her. (April 30, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
COLVIN, Mrs. Myra
Sep. 2, 1948
Colvin - In Wayne, Penns., on the 2nd inst., Mrs. Myra Colvin, widow of Rank R. Colvin, aged 55(?) years, 6 months and 11 days. Funeral on Tuesday morning at 10:30 o'clock from St. Luke's Episcopal Church. Interment at Mt. Lebanon Cemetery. (Friday Evening, September 3, 1948, Lebanon Daily News, Lebanon, Pennsylvania )  
DALTON, Joseph Sr The Members of Leiperville Lodge No. 263, I.O.O.F., are respectfully requested to meet at the Lodge Room, on Tuesday afternoon next, at 2 o'clock, to attend the funeral of our late brother, Joseph Dalton, Sr. The members of Upland and Chester Lodges are respectfully invited to meet with us. By order of Thos. Taylor, N.G. Attest: Daniel N. Cooper, Sec'y.
Contributed by Shauna Williams
DANIELS, William
The death of William Daniels, better known as "Old Slave" which occurred at the Delaware County Home at Lima, removes one of the best known characters from the county. Previous to entering the Almshouse, a few days ago, "Old Slave" lived in Media, which was his home for many years. Daniels, who had passed the three score and ten mark, was a characterisic figure in this city. (Monday, 5 October, 1936 (TAKEN FROM THE 30 YEARS AGO COLUMN FILES OF 1906) Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania) kimmer,
Genealogy Trails
DAVIS, Ellen
12 Feb, 1880
Died-Davis-On Thursday, Feb. 12th, Ellen Davis, aged 17 years and 6 months. Funeral  from residence of her father, John Davis, Eleventh street, east of Upland, on Saturday, the 14th inst. Meet at the house at 2 1/2 p.m. To proceed to Chester Rural Cemetery. (February 13, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams

EVES, Sarah Ann
12 Feb, 1880
Died- Eves-On the the 12th inst., Sarah Ann Eves, aged 72 years. The relatives and friends of the family are respectfully invitedt o attend the funeral from the residence of her husband, John Eves, No 622 East Fifteenth street, on Monday morning next, at 11 o'clock. To proceed to Mount Hope Cemetery. (February 13, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams

26 April, 1880
South Chester Notes-Friday evening, between eight and nine o'clock, Mr. Cook, a gentleman boarding with Mr. and Mrs. Freeman on Lamokin street, near Ninth, was aroused, not by a gentle rapping at the door, but by a hammering that would have awakened a nation. Mr. Cook went immediately out the back door and around front, and instead of seeing the person who knocked he saw a basket on the doorstep. He looked in the basket and discovered something moving, and it frightened him almost out of his wits. He looked toward Upland and saw a man walking quickly in that direction, and as he saw no one  else he supposed that he was the person who had left the basket. Mr. and Mrs. Freeman, who had been to the depot with a relative, arrived just in time to help Mr. Cook out of his dilemma. Upon hearing his story Mrs. Freeman picked up the basket and felt something moving, which she supposed was a little dog. She removed the wrappings and old rags, and with uplifted hands exclaimed: "O, Charles! It's a little baby."  A note in the basket contained the following words: "Take me in and treat me well, for in this house my father dwells. Baby." Chief officer Peck and Dr. Weston were summoned, and they examined the child. The Doctor said it had been born that day or evening, and that it had been given something which made it very stupid. It has never cried yet, and appears to have inward spasms. It is receiving all the care imaginable from Mrs. Freeman and her friends. She has not decided yet what she will do with it. (April 26, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
South Chester Notes-The little baby that was left on the steps of Mr.  Freeman's residence on the 22nd has died. It never cried, but appeared to be in misery all the while. About nine o'clock yesterday morning, Mrs. Freeman took it in her arms, and while holding it, trying to give it food, it was taken with an inward spasms, and after going through some very peculiar gesticulations passed away into the hands of Him who gave it.  Mrs. Freman deserves much praise for the charitable manner in which she has acted, and her friends hope that God, from whom all blessings flow may bless her. (April 27, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
South Chester Notes-Coroner Fairlamb has taken charge of the remains of the baby, and has relieved Mrs. Freeman from a responsibility she was very much afraid she would have to meet. (April 28, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams

GORDON, William
27 May, 1880
Drowned-A lad, living at Eddystone named William Gordon, aged 17 years, was bathing in the river, last evening, at the above place, and being unable to swim he took a plank out with him on which he thought he might be able to learn, but unfortunately he slipped from the plank and sank. It was close by the saw mill, and his body was soon recovered, but life had departed. He was very large of his age, and it is singular that he should have drowned where he did unless he was seized with cramps. Coroner Fairlamb was notified to hold an inquest. (May 28, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams

2 Nov 1879
Died-Gore-In this city, on November 2d?, Miss Ann Gore, aged 57 years. The relatives and friends of the family are respectfully invited to attend the funeral, from the residence of Mr. William Bell, on Walnut street, between Ninth and Tenth streets, North Ward, on Thursday, November 6th. Funeral to proceed to Mount Hope Cemetery, without further notice. (November 4, 1879 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
GRIFFITH, William H.
18 Nov 1879
Died-Griffith-On the 18th inst., William H. Griffith, aged 21? years. The relatives and friends of the family are respectfully invited to attend the funeral from his late residence, Potter street, between Ninth and Tenth, to-morrow (friday) afternoon. Meet at the house at 2 o'clock. Interment at Chester Rural Cemetery. (November 20, 1879 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
HARD, Rev Anson B
31 MAY, 1880
Died-Hard-On the 31st of May, Rev. Anson B. hard, in the 79th year of his age. The friends of the family are respectfully invited to attend the funeral, from his late residence, Potter and Fourtsenth streets, on Thursday, the 3d inst., at 3 1/2 p.m., punctually. Services at St. Paul church, at 4 1/2 p.m. (June 2, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
24 May, 1880
Died-Harvey-In Birmingham, on May 24th, Julia, daughter of Lewis P. Harvey. Funeral from her father's residence, to-morrow morning. To meet at the house at 10 o'clock. (May 26, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
HEWES, Ambrose A.
Aug, 1879
Died-Hewes-On August 28?th, 1879, Ambrose A., infant son of Samuel Hewes, of Bethel, aged 8 months. (August 30, 1879 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
HOUPT, Levi R.
April 15, 1880
An Old Man Commits Suicide-Levi R. Houpt, aged about 60 years, a resident of Rockdale, this county, cut his throat with a razor about ten o'clock yesterday morning, from the effects of which he died last evening. Houpt has been a hard drinker, and for several weeks past he had not drawn a sober breath, which led to the act. On Tuesday he remained in bed all day, not drinking much, if any, which is supposed to have induced a sort of delirium tremens. Yesterday morning he came down to attend shop, (he keeping an oyster stand) and his wife went to the depot to see about some oysters. When she returned she saw her husband bleeding. She then called in Wm. Carson, who found Houpt standing bent over a vessel bleeding freely. He expressed a desire to bleed to death. Dr. Murray was called, and an effort to save his life was made, but the gash was about four inches long, and bled so freely that he could not be saved. Once before, three months ago, he tried to take his life with a dose of laudanum. Coroner Fairlamb was notified and held an inquest last night, the jury returning a verdict of suicide while in a temporary fit of insanity. (April 15, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester, Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
HOWARD, William H.
Sep 1879
Mr. William H. Howard died on Sunday, at his home, Media, Delaware county, aged eighty-two years. Deceased was an inventor, born in Ware, Mass, at the time when American manufactures were just expanding from the relief of British laws, under difficulties that were met but overcome by Whitney, Fulton and Bigelow, with a mind as inventive and skill as great, he has contributed largely to the present supremacy of American machinery. in Worcester he was the inventor of the wire machinery that, in the hands of Mr. Washburne, his partner, was carried to its present grand consummation. His favorite saying was that machinery can be invented to perform whatever the hands can execute. Machinery for him regulated manifold motions in looms, drew wife and lead pipe, sorted type and braided straw. His rank as a woolen manufacturer, engineer, and late years as magistrate, will be strongly remembered in Philadelphia, Worcester and Media as a leading genius in his line. His friends seemed limited only by the number of his acquaintances. (September 13, 1879 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
HUBER, Lawrence J
15 December, 1995
b. March 15, 1920 Maryland, d. December 15, 1995 Media, Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Lawrence J. Huber, 75, a Pearl Harbor survivor and retired Bell Atlantic manager, died Friday of heart failure in Riddle Memorial Hospital.
Mr. Huber, of Media, Pa., formerly of Richardson Park, Del., New Castle, Del., Fairfax, Del., and Newport, Del., was a gun captain on the battleship USS Tennessee at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked. He raced from his bunk to his turret, only to be badly wounded by a bomb that hit a neighboring compartment. The blast scorched his skin and burned off his hair; shrapnel pierced an arm. He received the Purple Heart. After recovering, he returned to the ship until taking over a Navy harbor tug, also in the Pacific. After the war, he and his wife settled in Wilmington.
He was motor vehicle supervisor for Diamond State Telephone Co., and in the early 1960s, served on the Richardson Park School Board and was a PTA president. He was a deacon, Sunday school teacher, and choir member at Chichester Baptist Church, and a founding member of Bethany Baptist Church, Newport.
His wife, Marian \{Lung\} Huber, died in 1980.
Survivors: sons, Thomas B. of New Castle and the Rev. John L. of Elkton, Md.; daughter, Nancy F. Ford of Media; sister, Ruth Rusch of Walkerton, Ind.; brother, Roger of Tucson, Ariz., and three grandchildren.
Services: 11 a.m. today, Chichester Baptist Church, 800 Cherry Tree Road, Aston. Visitation: after 10. Burial: Gracelawn Memorial Park, Minquadale, Del. Contributions: Chichester Baptist Church.
Contributed by Sara H.
HUBER, Marion Ruth nee Lung
4 October 1980

Marian Ruth Huber, 58, of 410 Gayley St., Media Pa., formerly of Claymont, died Saturday in Memorial Division after a long illness.
Mrs. Huber is survived by her husband, Lawrence J., two sons, Thomas B. of Wilmington and John L. of Hockessin; a daughter, Nancy Elaine Ford of Media; two brothers, Leonard Lung of Melfort, Saskatchewan, and Gene Lung of Camden, Ill.; five sisters, Alta Cunningham of Rushville, Ill., Hazel Yates of Camden, Ill., Rosa Blanchard of Mason City, Ill., Elva Yates of El Paso, Ill., and Annie Cleveland of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan; and a grandchild.
Services will be tomorrow after noon at 2 at Bethany Baptist Church, 410 Denver Road, Westview, where friends may call an hour earlier. Burial will be in Gracelawn Memorial Park. Instead of flowers, the family suggests contributions to the Bethany Baptist Church, 410 Denver Road, Wilmington 19804. (Wilmington Morning News, Wilmington, Delaware, October 6, 1980)
Contributed by Sara H.
KANE, John Riley "Killer"
May 29, 1996

La. hero to be buried at Arlington Shreveport natiive led WWII attack
SHREVEPORT - Retired Col. John Riley "Killer" Kane, the unexpected attack commander in a bombing raid on one of Nazi-controlled Europe's most heavily defended sites, will be buried June 18 at Arlington National Cemetery.

Kane, Shreveport's only Medal of Honor winner, died May 29 at the VA Nursing Home in Coatesville, Pa. He was 89 years old.

He led the 98th Bombardment Group in the Aug. 1, 1943, B-24 attack against the Rumanian oil refineries at Ploesti.

His group was supposed to be third to attack, but accidentally arrived first and found the defenders fully alerted.

Kane assumed the duty of attack commander and circled the refineries to direct bombers attacking from near-treetop level. By the time Kane's bomber left, it had lost an engine, been struck more than 20 times by heavy anti-aircraft artillery fire and had uncountable bullet holes.

The unexpected duty had also used up much of the plane's fuel. It crash-landed on Cyprus on its way back to Kane's base in North Africa.

The attack, considered one of the most arduous by the U.S. Army Air Corps in World War II, brought Medals of Honor to five crew members. Of 178 airplanes that left on the raid, 54 never returned.

In one of his last public statements, a foreword to air historian Michael Hill's book "The Desert Rats," Kane summed up his feelings about the mission:

"I still recall the smoke, fire and B-24s going down, like it was yesterday," he wrote. "Even now, I get a lump in my throat when I think about what we went through. ... I didn't get the Medal of Honor; the 98th did."

Kane, a Texas native reared in Shreveport by his Baptist preacher father, retired in 1956 and settled with his British-born wife, Phyllis, in Logan County, Ark.

Phyllis Kane died in 1987. Kane was stricken with Alzheimer's disease shortly afterward and was cared for at the military nursing home in Pennsylvania.

He is survived by one son, John Franklin Kane of Havertown, Pa. (June 9, 1996 The Advocate, Baton Rouge, LA)

KANUIKA, Stephen
Sept. 20, 2009
Stephen "Steve" Kanuika, 69, of West Chester, died Sunday, Sept. 20, 2009, at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia. He was the husband of Dolores P. Tinder Kanuika. Born in Philadelphia, he was the son of the late William Kanuika and the late Mary Humenchuk Kanuika.

Mr. Kanuika owned and operated the Steve Kanuika Speed Shop and was a race car specialist. He lived in West Chester for the past 38 years and was a member of the NHRA.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by (names of living not included)

He was predeceased by his brother, the late William Kanuika, and his sister the late Katherine Kanuika.

Relatives and friends are invited to his memorial service at 11 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 25, at the DellaVecchia, Reilly, Smith & Boyd Funeral Home Inc., 410 N. Church St., West Chester, PA. Interment will be private. Visitation will be held from 10 to 11 a.m. Friday at the funeral home.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to American Heart Association, 625 W. Ridge Pike, Building A, Suite 100, Conshohocken, PA 19428. (The Daily Local (dailylocal.com), Serving Chester County, PA, ) Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Contributed by Kimmer
KANUIKA, William
November 11, 2004
William (Bill) W. Kanuika, III, 71, of Brookhaven, PA, formerly of Folcroft, PA. Died Thursday, November 11, 2004, at Taylor Hospital. Born in Philadelphia, PA, had been a resident of Folcroft, PA for 10 years, before moving to Brookhaven, 24 years ago. A Graduate of Clifton Heights High School Class of 1952. Owner of Bill Kanuika's Speed Shop, Yeadon, PA. Attended Full Gospel Assembly Church, Brookhaven, PA A man devoted to his home and family. A car enthusiast he enjoyed drag racing.(From Northeast Obits, 15 November, 2004 ) kimmer,
Genealogy Trails

Henry Kenny
New Ulm Review (New Ulm, MN), December 30, 1908, page 2
Notable Deaths in January 1908
Henry Kenny, president of the Delaware railway, who attended to the secret journey of President Elect Abraham Lincoln on his way to Washington in 1861, at Ridley Park, Pa.; aged 80.
--Contributed by Robin Line

KIRKE, Anna M.
17 November 1928
Born 31 October 1835. Buried in Chester Bethel Cemetery Richard S.
KIRKE, Elizabeth E.
18 May 1883
This funeral invitation was found in a set of Sunday school magazines belonging to John Wanamaker (of the department store fame).

While the press-printed invitation does not give her dates, on the back is handwritten Elizabeth E. Kirke/ born April 20 1833/ died May 18th 1883.

It reads:

Yourself and family are respectfully invited to attend the funeral of ELIZABETH E. KIRKE, from the residence of her brother, John W. Kirke, in Bethel Township, on Wednesday afternoon, the 23d inst., to leave the house at half-past two o'clock and proceed to Bethel Cemetary Note: it is now called Chester Bethel Cemetery and is just over the line into Delaware State. (May 21st, 1883)
Richard S.
KIRKE, John W.
17 February 1914
Born 18 Sep 1838. Buried in Chester Bethel Cemetery Richard S.
KIRKE, William E
8 October, 1857
Death Notice In Kansas , on the 8th of October, of typhoid fever, William E. KIRKE, son of William Kirke, of Bethel Township, Delaware County, Pa., in the 25th year of his age. (Dec 19, 1857, Village Record (PA)) Candi,
Genealogy Trails
LARKIN, Benjmin
June, 1879
Shoulder Dislocated. - About a month ago, Mr. Benjamin Larkin, an old gentleman of Bethel, who has been attending the market in this city for a number of years, fell on the ice at Third street bridge and dislocated his shoulder. He went home and lay in bed for four weeks in that condition, suffering intense pain. On Monday Drs. J.A. and J.F.M. Forwood set the shoulder. (January 23, 1879 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania) (Apparently he died of complications in June-kmp)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
MALOY, Michael Jr.
4 March, 1880
Hung Himself-Yesterday morning Coroner Fairlamb was notified by Mr. Smith, Superintendent of the Alms House, to hold an inquest on the body of a man who had hung himself in that institution yesterday morning. The Coroner proceeded at once to the place, and learned that Michael Maloy, Jr., of Upper Darby, aged about 24 years, who had been taken to the Alms House Wednesday evening on a commitment issued by Squire McCormick, adjudging the young man insane. He was somewhat vicious, and his hands were tied with a rope. He was put in the male department of the Insane building with his hands tied; there being no cell vacant, he was secured in a small entry in front of which was an iron door. Yesterday morning, about six o'clock, the Steward, Thomas Brown, went to him and spoke to him. He answered. In a short time one of the attendants went to Maloy's place of confinement and saw him hanging to the iron door dead. He had unloosed the rope from his hands, tied it about his neck and to the door. His knees almost touched the floor. The Coroner's jury rendered a verdict of suicide. (March 5, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
McCAY, James E.
2 Sep, 1879
Died - McCay - In Concord, suddenly, on the 2d inst., James E. McCay, in the 31st year of his age. Funeral from the residence of his mother, in Concord, on Sunday morning, Sept 7th. To leave the house at 11 o'clock. To proceed to St. John's P.E. Church, Concord. Relatives and friends are respectfully invited to attend the funeral, without further notice. (September 6, 1879 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
McELVENNY, Grace McCloskey.
4 July 1968


Services for Mrs. Grace McElvenny, 43, of Prospect Park, will be 10 am, Tuesday at the Marvil Funeral Home, 1110 Main St., Darby. Burial will be in Valley Forge Gardens, King of Prussia.
Calling Hours will be this evening from 7 to 9 at the funeral home.
Mrs. McElvenny died at Beebe Hospital in Lewes, Del., after suffering a fractured neck diving into Indian River in Oak Orchard. Police reported that she plunged from the pier into about three feet of water.
She died at 9:15 om. The cause was listed as a fractured cervical vertebrae.
She is survived by her husband, William, and her two children, Kathryn, 24, and William, Jr., 19. The son is in the service and the final arrangements for Mrs. McElvenny's burial will be delayed until his return.
Other survivors include the victim's mother, Mrs. Robert C. McCloskey, her three brothers, Joseph, Robert Jr., and Raymond; and her two sisters, Mrs. Roy Granger and Mrs. Daniel Thomas.
Dlaware County Daily Times, Mon Jul 8 1968.

NATHAN Mrs. Anna
NATHAN, Charles Jr
NATHAN, Herbert

3 November, 1931
Mrs. Anna Nathan, Charles, Herbert and Eva Nathan
Funeral Services For Mrs. Anna Nathan
Philadelphia Today (AP) Funeral services will be held tonight for Mrs. Anna Nathan, 21, who killed her three children and herself on Tuesday while her husband, Charles was away from home in search of employment. The two sons, Charles Jr., 5, and Herbert, 4, will occupy the same coffin, while Mrs. Nathan and her daughter, Eva, 2, will have separate coffins. Worry over the family's financial affairs was believed to have prompted the mother's act. Nathan has not worked regularly for more than a year. Lebanon Daily News, Thursday Evening, November 5, 1931, Page 1

Samuel Washington Neely
Republican Compiler (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania) January 11, 1831
Died at the residence of Dr. James, in Delaware County, Pa., on the 30th December last, on his return from Philadelphia, in the 23d year of his age, Samuel Washington, son of Jonathan Neely, Esq., of this county. The unremitting attentions of a kind and skillful physician were not permitted to interpose between him and the grave. His final hour had arrived. His remains, after being interred were dis-interred by his friends and taken to the family burying ground at the Round Hill in this county.

OTT, John
Sep, 1879
John Ott, who lived in the village, died yesterday of dropsy. He has been sick for some time, but through the kindness of friends and the county he has been kept from want. He leaves a wife and three children. The friends who have so kindly administered to his necessities and have watched over him in his sickness have their reward in the consciousness of a duty well performed, and in the words of the Savior "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethern, ye have done it unto me."
Contributed by Shauna Williams
between 1849-1878
*Newspaper article on stone: A Beautiful Monument-Yesterday afternoon we were driven in Mr. Heacock's stage to Chester Rural Cemetery, where we saw a most beautiful piece of workmanship in the shape of a monument erected by the Pyewell brothers to the memory of the deceased members of the Pyewell family, this city. The monument stands on a lot 16x18 feet, which is beautifully located on the hill, overlooking the lake. It is cut from fine, white Italian marble, stands 18 feet high, including an urn of three feet two inches which surmounts it and gives it a most tasty and finished appearance. The shaft rests on a marble base four feet square, and one a smaller base which rests thereon is the name "Pyewell," elegantly cut in the front or east side.
    The inscription on the front or east side of the square is in the form of a semi-circle, and is as follows: "Our Faithful Mother;" and just below is a raised shield beautifully carved, and bearing the monogram, "W. & S.A.P." Underneath the above are the words, "Sarah Ann Pyewell, born Dec. 9, 1816; died March 31, 1878." Near the top of the monument is a handsome marble floral wreath.
    On the north side we find the following inscription: "Our Father and Brothers. William Pyewell, born May 10, 1816, died Aug. 4, 1856. William Leonard, born May 14, 1838, died June 16, 1861. John, born Aug. 11, 1848, died March 13, 1849. Sons of Wm. and Sarah Ann Pyewell."
    This monument was constructed by Messrs. Vangunden, Young & Drumm, of Philadelphia, and for fine workmanship it cannot be surpassed. Everything about it is well done and reflects credit on the builders as well as the Messrs. Pyewell. The lot in which it stands is handsomely enclosed with a galvanized iron rail fence supported by nine marble posts. Chester Daily Times, Chester, Pennsylvania, August 13, 1878
Contributed by Shauna Williams
RAPAPORT, Mrs Myrtle
November 5, 1931
Died From Coal Gas
Philadelphia, Today (AP) Coal gas escaping from the furnace when her husband started up the fire today caused the death of Mrs. Myrtle Rapaport, 60. She had been ill several months. Lebanon Daily News, Thursday Evening, November 5, 1931, Page 15
24 Dec 1879
Died-Rothwell-In Upland, on the 24th(?) inst., Alice Rothwell, in her 61st year. The relatives and friend of the family are respectfully invited to attend the funeral, from the residence of her husband, on Hill street, second door above Eighth, on Saturday afternoon, Dec. 27th. To meet at the house at half-past two. Funeral at Upland Baptist Burying Ground. "She has gone to her rest." (December 26, 1879 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
Dec, 1879
Run Down By the Express-Sunday morning, about 3 o'clock, two brothers named Adam and George Shivery, were struck by the Southern express near Elkton, Md., on the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore railroad. Adam, who is a resident of Upland, this county, was killed instantly. The other was seriously injured. How they came to be on the track that time in the morning is not known. Adam left his home on Friday morning last to visit his father, who is a resident of Elkton. He was about 40 years of age, and leaves a wife and six children. (December 22, 1879 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
1 June, 1880
-A man whose name we could not learn, a fireman at the Tube Works in South Chester, jumped off Derbyshire's old wharf, at the foot of Lamokin street, into the river, this morning, and was drowned. It is not known whether the man committed suicide or jumped into the water for a bath. His body was not recovered at 11 o'clock. (June 1, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
The Drowning Accident-The man who was drowned at Derbyshire wharf yesterday morning, mentioned in this paper, was a German named Melchoir Simon, a fireman in the Tub Works of South Chester. He had gone to the wharf in company with two other men who proposed fishing. While they were watching their lines Simon went a short distance off, undressed and dove into the river. He was a good swimmer, and there was about twenty feet of water where he went in, but strange to say, he never came up, or at least those with him never saw him after he went down. It occurred about 8:30 o'clock and persons began fishing for him, and it was 11:30 before he was found. There were no marks on his body anywhere and it seems a mystery that he never came up. Coroner Fairlamb was sent for and he held an inquest, the jury rendering a verdict of accidental drowning. The deceased was a very large man, aged about 24 years, a single person, and had been in this country only since last October. he was to have been married in two weeks. His body was removed to South Chester. (June 2, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams

SIPPS, Fanny Kirke.
30 November 1945
Born 21 August 1871. Buried in Chester Bethel Cemetery
--Contributed by Richard S.

May 21, 1879
Death On The Rail-Last evening, about eight o'clock, a girl named Lizzie E. Sullivan, aged about thirteen years, living with her parents at Trainer's Bank, was killed on the P.W. & B. Railroad, at Trainer's Station. She, with other girls, was standing on the road that crosses the track at the station. It is supposed that she had been jumping rope, as she had a piece of rope in her hand. She was on the north bound track, and when the south bound through freight train came along she started to cross over the south bound track. In doing so the engine struck her with great force throwing her up in the air, and mutilating her most fearfully. the unfortunate girl was carried one hundred feet from where she was struck. Those standing near did not know that the girl had been struck, but thought they saw some object fly up before the engine. After the train had passed they saw the victim lying between the two tracks insensible and dying. She was picked up and carried to the house of her parents, where an examination of her wounds was made. The back part of her head was badly fractured, and her limbs were frightfully mangled and broken. She lived but a couple of minutes after the accident. A dispatch was sent for Coroner Fairlamb, and he proceeded to the scene of the accident last night, and made arrangements to hold the inquest to-day at eleven o'clock. The unfortunate person, though but thirteen years of age, was quite tall, and had every appearance of a young woman. She had not lived at Trainer's a great while. It was a sad affair, and the loss of such a bright, cheerful young girl is felt by the entire community. (May 22, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams

TAYLOR, George
28 June 1879
Boy Drowned-Last evening, about seven o'clock, several boys, ranging in age from ten to sixteen years, were bathing in Chester creek at Bunting's lumber yard wharf, and one of the number named Geo. Taylor, a boy about fifteen years old, son of Travis Taylor, living on Eleventh street, between Upland and Potter, who carries on the blacksmith business on Fifth street, was drowned. The boy had only left his home a few minutes before, and started off with some companions for a swim. They all went in from Bunting's wharf. It was nearly high water, the tide had been running out but a short time, and of course it was pretty deep there, but all the boys could swim some and they thought there was no danger. They had not been in the water long when George Taylor swam to the opposite bank of the creek, and back almost to the wharf, when he was noticed by a boy on shore to be sinking. As soon as possible the alarm was given, but his companions were too far from him to be of any assistance. The boy who saw him go down says he did not struggle or make the least noise to give warning of his perilous position. He never came to the surface, as most persons do when they are drowing(sic). It is supposed that he was taken with the cramp and went down so quickly that he could not give warning.
    The news soon spread, and in a few minutes there was an immense crowd of people on the wharf. As mentioned above the tide was running out swiftly, and it was supposed the body had been carried down the stream, and that it would be a difficult matter to find him. A couple of row boats were procured, and with long poles the men in the boats dragged the bottom of the creek in hopes of finding him, but this proved fruitless, and in a short time a half dozen or more young men went into the creek to dive for him. They dove for some time at different places near where the boys was supposed to have gone down. Among those who were diving were some excellent swimmers, for one or two of them seemed to remain under water from one to two minutes. Edward Cardenly, after swimming around the bottom for a little while, came up, and said he was down there, as he had hold of his ear and saw him, but his wind gave out, and he had to come up. Then Neal McDade, another young man, and an excellent fellow for remaining under the water, went down to the designated spot and immediately brought the boy to the surface. He was lifted out on the wharf, carried back to a board pile, where they began to roll him to revive him. According to the statement of those who saw the deceased go down, he was in the water at least half an hour, or probably longer.The crowd of two or three hundred persons gathered closely around the boy to see them endeavor to bring him to. All the endeavors of police officer Dougherty could not keep the anxious back, and they prevented the air, one of the most necessary agents of resuscitation, from getting to the boy. All reason or common sense could not induce them not to gather around him. For one to stand off and look at the dense and eager crowd around it seemed surpassingly strange that they could be so anxious. Dr. O'Reilley was summoned, and when he arrived the boy had to be removed some distance from the crowd and a fence built around him to keep the insatiate throng away so that a little air could get to him, but with no good result, and finally gave him up as dead."
    Coroner Fairlamb, who had been notified, arrived and took the body to the home of his parents, on Eleventh street.
    The sad news, when conveyed to his parents, was a great blow to them, for the boy was just getting to be of some help to them. He was the second oldest child in the family. his mother took it very hard, as did his younger sister. The latter is subject to spasms, and it was with great exertions that these could be prevented from coming on her.
    The public expressed great sympathy for the bereaved family, and for the unfortunate end to the life of the boy.
    Coroner Fairlamb held an inquest at his office on Market street this morning, to inquire into the cause of the death of the deceased boy.
    Frank Moore, a boy who went in swimming with the unfortunate lad, testified that young Taylor was not a very good swimmer and usually kept in shallow water, but last evening he ventured out to catch a rowboat that was going up the stream. He failed to catch the boat and started to swim back to the wharf, but before reaching it he gave out, and was noticed to be sinking. He gave an alarm and those on shore saw him struggling under the water. At the place where they were bathing it is said to be fifteen or sixteen feet deep. The deceased boy's younger brother was not more than a few feet from him, but was so excited that he could make no effort to rescue him. Those on shore were also excited and never thought to pass a rail or something to the drowning boy.
     Harry Jenkins, who was on the wharf, also testified to seeing the boy go down, but was afraid to attempt to rescue him lest he would pull him in.
    Neal McDade, the young man who brought the drowned lad from the bottom testified to that fact.
    The boy had not been in the water more than ten minutes when the accident occurred. When he was brought to the surface those about the wharf were in a query whether to bring the body on the wharf, or to leave him in the water until the Coroner should arrive, but he was taken out.
    The jury, composed of Messrs. Isaac Eyre, H.M. Zook, W.G. Howarth, Samuel Black, W.G. Flower and N.W. Fairlamb, rendered a verdict of accidentally drowned.
    When the Coroner arrived at the home with the body, the crowd of men and women was so great around the door and on the street that it was almost impossible to get in the room. (June 28, 1879 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams

TRAINER, Edward Jr.
Aug 25, 1879
Boy Lost-Last evening, about six o'clock, the nurse employed in the family of Mr. Edward Trainer, of Trainer's Station, went upstairs to put one of the small children to bed, and left a four year old son of Mr. Trainer's playing on the lawn. He was amusing himself, and the nurse thought she would not disturb him. She was not upstairs long, but when she returned Eddie, whom she had left alone on the lawn, was not to be seen. The lawn, house and surrounding premises were searched, but the missing boy could not be found.
    The boy's parents were at Atlantic City. The father returned home on the train which passed through here at 10:29 last evening, leaving Mrs. Trainer at the sea shore. He was much excited to learn that his son could not be found. A number of men, employees of the firm, dragged the stream close by the premises. The race was run dry and dragged. It was thought the boy had gone down to the race and accidentally had fallen in the stream. Up to seven o'clock this morning nothing had been heard of the boy, after a most complete search. The boy was a bright eyed, light curly haired little fellow, and was liked by all.
    A correspondent sends the following in reference to the matter: He is five years old, has very light hair, and blue eyes; was dressed in a white suit, light straw hat with brown ribbon. Great anxiety is felt in regard to the matter as it is believed, the child has been stolen.
Drowned-Since the above was put in type, we are informed that his body has been found in the dam. He was in the habit of going down to the edge of the dam with the dog to play. The Coroner has been notified to hold an inquest. (August 25, 1879 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Coroner's Inquest-Yesterday morning  Coroner Fairlamb went to to Trainer's Bank to hold an inquest on the body of Edward E. Trainer, Jr., the four year old son of Mr. Edward E. Trainer, of D. Trainer & Sons, manufacturers, who was drowned in the mill dam Sunday evening. The following gentlemen served on the jury: Messrs. Isaac Eyre, Wm. Trainer Jr., Samuel F. Heacock, George G. Russell, Andrew Dunlap and James Boyd. The testimony of Jeanette Woodward, the nurse and Isaac Heacock, the person who found the body, was heard, which, in the main, corroborated the statement concerning the matter published in yesterday's paper. The jury rendered a verdict of accidentally drowned. The parents have the sympathy of the citizens in their sad bereavement. (August 26, 1879 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams

TURNER, Robert
April, 1880
Sudden Death-Robert Turner, a young man, manager in the mill of Messrs. Sharkey & Whippey, at Clifton, died rather suddenly on Tuesday night. He was a man well known in the community where he lived and was well liked. (April 15, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams

6 October, 1879
Died-Vanzandt-In South Chester, on the 6th inst., Sarah H. Vanzandt, daughter of A. Rowlin and Julia J. Vanzandt, aged 4 years, 10 months and 6 days. (October 8, 1880 Chester Daily Times, Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams

WALTON, Albert George Hirim Davis
November, 1999
Natural Death at 82 years of age. (Delaware Times)
Contributed by Albert Walton, Jr.

18 Nov 1879
Died-Wilson-In this city, on the 14th inst., Mary E. Wilson, daughter of Susan and the late George Wilson. The relatives and friends are respectfully invited to attend the funeral, on Friday afternoon, the 18th inst., at 4 o'clock, from the residence of her mother, on Fourteenth street. (July 15, 1879 Chester Daily Times Chester Pennsylvania)
Contributed by Shauna Williams
Genealogy Trails

4th month, 30th day, 1882
YARNALL--At Middletown, Delaware County, Pa., on the morning of Fourth month, 30th THOMAS YARNALL, in the seventy-seventh years of his age. The relatives and friends of the family are respectfully invited to attend the funeral from the residence of his son-in-law, Joseph Pennell, this (Fourth) day, 3rd instant, to meet at the house at 2 o'clock P. M. Carriages will meet the train leaving West Chester at 11.30 A. M. and Philadelphia 12.30 P. M. at Junction Station. Philadelphia Inquirer, 3 MAY 1882 pg 2
Contributed by Kathy Brown

YOUNG, Clark
20 October, 1918Obit: Clark Young, a former resident of Phillipsburg, died at 4 o'clock on Sunday afternoon at Chester, PA., where he had been employed. Deceased was 37 years of age. He is survived by his wife, formerly Miss Margaret Reynolds, of this place; his mother and several brothers and sisters. The funeral will be held on Wednesday morning, with interment in St. Michaels's cemetery, Chester. (Oct 21, 1918, Easton Express (PA))
Contributed by Vicki Hartman

Back to Pennsylvania Trails History and Genealogy