ARCHIBALD, William Whallon, lumberman; born Corry, Pa., October 17, 1868; son of Charles Edwin and Mary
(Whallon) Archibald; paternal grandparents Varnum and Martha (Allen) Archibald; maternal grandparents Samuel Smith
and Maria (Bell) Whallon; Scotch-Dutch descent; father's occupation railroad conductor; educated and graduated
at De Veaux College, Niagara Falls, N.Y. June, 1885; married May Gibson September 3, 1890; member Royal Arcanum
and of all the Masonic bodies, Watauga Club, Nashville, Mountain City Club, Chattanooga; Mayor of Shelbyville,
Tenn.; elected August, 1909 for two years; in the export lumber business and for many years has represented in
America the old-established house of William Foerster & Company, Hamburg, Germany; lived in Virginia ten years
before coming to Tennessee in 1898; was located at Chattanooga 1900 to 1905; member Protestant Episcopal church.
Mrs. Harriet Bunker Austin
AUSTIN, Mrs. Harriet Bunker, author, born in Erie, Pa., 29th December, 1844. She is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John F. Bunker, descending from New England, stock. Her greatgrandfather, Benjamin Bunker, was a soldier of the Revolution, and was killed in the battle of Bunker Hill. The hill from which the battle was named comprised part of the Bunker estate. On her mother's side she is related to the Bronson Alcott and Lyman Beecher families. When quite young, she removed with her parents to Woodstock, McHenry county, Ill., where she has since resided. Her education was received in the Woodstock high school and Dr. Todd's Female Seminary. At the close of her seminary life she was married to W. B. Austin, a prosperous merchant of that city. She has been a prolific writer, many of her poems having been set to music and gained deserved popularity. She has always taken an active interest in every scheme for the advancement of women, and is ever ready to lend her influence to the promotion of social reforms.
(American Women, Fifteen Hundred Biographies, Vol 1, Publ. 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow.)
BRYANT Frederick Stewart, St Paul. Res 433 Portland av, office Pioneer Press bldg. Insurance. Born Mar 20, 1859 Erie Pa, son of James Spencer and Sarah Ellen (Stewart) Bryant. Married June 28, 1888 to Shirley E MacManus. Located in St Paul 1878. N W mngr Maryland Casualty Co since 1902; pres St Paul Apartment House Co since 1888; was asst gen N W frt agt Cc M & St P Ry 1881-87; delegate to Nat Republican Convention 1896; state sec Minn Republican League 1900-1906. Member of the Society of Colonial Wars and Sons of the Revolution.
[Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Renae Donaldson]
BUSH, Benjamin Franklin, railway official; born, Wellsburg, Pa., July 5, 1859; son of James and Rosella
(Henry) Bush; educated in Wellsburg High School and Mansfield State Normal School; married. River Falls, Pierce
Co., Wis., May 30, 1883, Catherine Idelia Hawkins; one daughter: Idelia Frances Bush. Began railway service with
Northern Pacific R. R., 1882, as rodman, and later became assistant and division engineer, same road, until 1887;
division engineer Union Pacific R. R.. in Idaho and Oregon, 1887-89; chief engineer and general superintendent
of the Oregon Improvement Co., 1889-96; general manager of Northwestern Improvement Co. (which controlled coal
properties of Northern Pacific R. R.), 1896-1903; vice president and general manager. Western Coal and Mining Co.
since Feb. 1, 1903, and vice president and general manager of the Consolidated Coal Co., of St. Louis, since Nov.
1, 1903. Appointed fuel agent of the Missouri Pacific Hy., February, 1903; president Western Maryland B. B., at
Baltimore, 1907 08; receiver same road until reorganized, when again became president; president Missouri Pacific
Ry. with headquarters at St. Louis since April, 1911; also president Denver & Bio Grande By. since January,
1912; director Maryland National Bank, Durham Coal and Iron Co. Appointed by President Roosevelt in 1907 as member
Advisory Board on Fuels and Structural Materials. Member American Mining Congress, American Institute Mining Engineers,
Business Men's League. Presbyterian. Clubs: St Louis, Mercantile, Noonday, The Traffic, Automobile, Bellerive Country
(St. Louis), Maryland (Baltimore). Favorite recreations: tennis and fishing. Office: 708 Missouri Pacific Bldg.
Residence: 30 Portland PL.
JOHN FRANKLIN HECHTMAN, senator from Gila County in the First Arizona State Legislature, has had a varied career, having had experience in law, government service, newspaper work, and mining, the latter being now his chief occupation. Mr. Hechtman was born in Erie County, Pa., in August, 1854, but in 1857 his parents removed to St. Anthony's Falls, Minn., and in 1862 to Washington, D. C., where his father, Captain of Co. "K", 83rd Penn. Vol., was in the hospital suffering from wounds received in battle. Here Mr. Hechtman served as messenger in the Treasury Department for more than a year, as page in the House and Senate for five years, and afterward was employed in the Coast Survey. He also attended public and private schools and studied law in Washington. In May, 1875, he returned to Minnesota, and remained there until the following March and then proceeded to the Black Hills of South Dakota, but in June of the same year located in Parrott City, Colorado, and engaged in mining and prospecting. He spent the years 1878 and 1879 prospecting in Arizona, but returned to Colorado. He had previously been admitted to the practice of law in the Supreme Court of that State, and in November, 1880, while performing the duties of five county offices was elected judge of his county. Senator Hechtman located permanently in Arizona in December, 1899, when he settled in Globe. Shortly afterward he was admitted to practice in the state, but he has never been actively engaged in legal work, his attention having been devoted in the main to mining, though for a time he was editor of the "Silver Belt". While he has been active in the interests of the Democratic party during his years of residence here, he has steadfastly declined to become a candidate for office until the fall of 1911 when he was nominated for senator, and elected by a sweeping majority. During the first session of the legislature the senator was one of the notably quiet but thorough and successful workers of the senate, and in his "Personnel of the Senate", his colleague, Senator C. B. Wood, has said of Senator Hechtman's personality and work: "He was one of the best liked men in the senate^always pleasant, accommodating, always pouring oil on the troubled waters, and always for peace and good fellowship. As Chairman of the Judiciary Committee and Chairman of the Committee on Counties and County Affairs, and as a member of five other important committees, he did much splendid work." Senator Hechtman is, in fact, a man whose courtesy, consideration and refinement of manner are inherent qualities, and immediately recognized as such, while his ability, practical knowledge, and thoroughness have made him one of the most valuable members of the legislature. In the special session he has served as Chairman of the Joint Code Revision Committee of the two houses and was an untiring worker in this momentous cause. He was also a member of five other committees, among which are the Judiciary and Style, Revision and Compilation.
- Contributed by Barbara Ziegenmeyer
HON. GEORGE S. CHURCHILL, a prominent real-estate dealer of Casselton, is an early settler of Cass county and is entitled to special mention as a citizen of true worth. He is also interested in operating several sections of land in Cass county, and has met with success in general farming.
Our subject was born in Erie county, Pennsylvania, April 23, 1863, and was a son of George T. and Sarah C. (Lawrence) Churchill, natives of Connecticut. His father was a banker and general merchant and was vice-president of the old Keystone National Bank, of Erie, Pennsylvania, and still resides in that city. The great-great-grandfather of our subject, Captain Charles Churchill, was a native of New England, Parish Weathersfield, Connecticut, and was born December 31, 1723. He was appointed captain of militia in 1762 by the general assembly of Connecticut. He enlisted as captain in one of the militia companies who turned out to repel the invasion of New Haven, July 5, 1779, and he also enlisted as captain of the Sixth Militia, probably the same regiment in which he first enlisted, and was appointed captain by the general assembly. He was a son of Ensign Samuel Churchill of the English navy. The great grandfather of our subject, Samuel Churchill, was also a native of Connecticut. The grandfather of our subject, Josiah Churchill, was a native of Connecticut, and was a minister of the Presbyterian denomination and died in Pennsylvania. The father of our subject is a prominent citizen of his community and has served as a member of the city council and as county commissioner.
Our subject was one of a family of three children, two sons and one daughter, all of whom are now living. Mr. Churchill was reared and educated in Erie, Pennsylvania, and in 1880 purchased land in Cass county, and the following year went to Erie, Cass county, and followed farming there until 1899, when he moved to Casselton and established his present business. He followed general merchandising and real estate business in Erie, Cass county, while a resident of that plae and has been successful in every enterprise in which he has engaged. He now operates and owns three sections of land in Cass county.
Our subject was married in 1884 to Miss Lulu Knapp, a native of Wisconsin. Mrs. Churchill's parents, Nathan and Angelina (Green) Knapp, were natives respectively of Canada and Wisconsin. Her father served four years in the Civil war with the Eleventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry, in Company B, and participated in the battles of Bull Run and Shiloh in 1862. He now resides in Washington. Mrs. Churchill is a great-great-granddaughter of Abraham Lighthall, who served as a sergeant, corporal and captain in the Revolutionary war, enlisting from Albany, New York, in the Fourth Tryon Company Regiment of New York in 1780. He was born in Jefferson county, New York. He was appointed by General Washington as captain of a company of three hundred friendly Indians, and was captured by the Indians, escaped and returned to Washington, and served as aide to General Washington during the remainder of Washington's life. He was six feet, seven inches in height, and was of powerful physique. Mr. and Mrs. Churchill are the parents of one son, George E. Mr. Churchill served as a member of the lower house in 1893, and was chairman of the insurance committee, and a member of other important committees, including the ways and means committee. He has been identified with the movements of the Republican party throughout his career, and is stanch in his political faith. He is intelligent and progressive and well merits his success and high standing.
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Sally Masteller]
GEORGE E. COTTRELL of Lakeside, Chelan county, was born in Erie county Pennsylvania, July 14, 1860. Professionally he is a designer and boatbuilder, and conducts a successful business in this line in the lake country. His parents, David H. and Mary J. (Hare) Cottrell, are also natives of the Keystone state. The father is a descendant of Eber Cottrell, who came to America early in the seventeenth century. David H. Cottrell, who is an architect, now lives at Hagerstown, Maryland. The mother of our subject is descended from Michael Hare, who came from Waterford, Ireland, about 1680, and settled on Lake Champlain, later removing to Waterford, Pennsylvania, where he lived to the advanced age of one hundred and sixteen years. He was the earliest pioneer in that section, and a monument is erected in his memory at that place. The mother of Mary J. Cottrell still resides in Waterford township at the age of eighty-six years, an active, energetic old lady. Her daughter, the mother of our subject, lives with her.
George E. Cottrell remained in Pennsylvania until seventeen years of age, graduating from the high school of Union City. Two years he followed the lakes as a sailor, and then enlisted in the regular army, at Harrisburg, August 19, 1879. At first he was stationed at David's Island, New York harbor, thence going to Fort Snelling, Minnesota, and in May, 1880, joined his regiment at Fort Assinniboine, Montana. In August, 1884, he returned to Pennsylvania, and was there employed in a flouring mill, going thence to Denver, Colorado, remaining but three months, and then coming to Spokane, where he worked in the Echo mills until the great fire. Following this disaster he engaged in contracting and building, and in 1891 secured the contract for building a hotel at Chelan Falls, the edifice being owned by L. MacLean, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere. In 1892 Mr. Cottrell built the Chelan school house, and the same year he brought his family to Lakeside where they have since remained. He built the North Star and Alex Griggs, Columbia river boats, and a number of other craft, having been identified, more or less, with the building of the entire lake fleet, besides many launches, canoes, row and sail boats, also the auditorium and school house. He is a member of the auditorium company.
Mr. Cottrell has one brother, Clarence H., and one sister, Martha, widow of N.L. Braun. The latter for many years was a non-commissioned officer in the regular army, and contracted a fever at Manila from which he died at the Presidio, San Francisco, in 1899.
December 16, 1886, our subject was united in marriage to Lydia Anderson, a native of Stockholm, Sweden. The ceremony was performed at Jamestown, New York. She died September 23, 1894. His second marriage took place at Dayton, Washington, June 11, 1896, the bride being Kate Fite, a native of Illinois. Her parents were born in the same state, and at present reside at Dayton, Washington. Mr. and Mrs. Cottrell have three children, George M., Preston F. and Milton. Politically our subject is a Democrat, is active in campaigns as business will permit, and has on several occasions been delegate to county conventions. [SOURCE: "An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington"; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - Tr. by Tammie Rudder]
Mrs. Sarepta M. (Irish) Henry
HENRY, Mrs. Sarepta M. I., evangelist, temperance reformer, poet and author, born in Albion, Pa., 4th November, 1839. Her father, Rev. H. Nelson Irish, was a Methodist clergyman of the old style. He was preaching in Albion at the time of the daughter's birth. In 1841 he was sent to Illinois as a missionary, where he did heroic pioneer work and where he ended his days. In 1859 Miss Irish entered the Rock River Seminary, in Mt. Morris, 1ll., when she had for her pastor Rev. J. H. Vincent, then just coming into his life work. Recognition had been given to her literary ability, and during her school days she won many honors in composition. On 7th March, 1861, Miss Irish became the wife of James W. Henry, of East Homer, N. Y. The Civil War broke in upon the plans of the young couple and left Mrs. Henry, in 1871, a soldier's widow. The trio of children born from this union are just such as would be expected from so true a marriage. Mary, an alumna of the Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill., is already a writer of acknowledged ability in both prose and verse, and at the national convention of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union in New York, in 1888, she was elected to the position of superintendent of the press department. Alfred, the oldest son, is a faithful and eloquent clergyman, and Arthur is an author. Mrs. Henry was among the first to join the crusade against rum. From the beginning of the organization of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union she has been associated with the national body as superintendent of evangelical work and as evangelist. The result of her seven years of service in gospel temperance in Rockford, Ill., would alone suffice to crown the labors of any ordinary life-time. A partial record of this work is found in her book "Pledge and Cross." Her published books number fourteen, of which two, "Victoria," written during the first year of her daughter's life, and "Marble Cross," are poems. The prose works are "After the Truth," in four volumes, "Pledge and Cross," "Voice of the Home and its Legend," "Mabel's Work," "One More Chance," "Beforehand," "Afterward," "Unanswered Prayer," and "Frances Raymond's Investment." Mrs. Henry has long occupied pulpits among all denominations throughout the land. Through her evangelistic work saloons have been closed, churches built and hundreds converted. Her home is now in Evanston,. Illinois.
(Source: American Women, by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol 1, 1897. Transcribed
by Marla Snow)
Bio, City of Erie Pa Water Commissioner. Elected in 1877.
Michael Liebel, Water Commissioner was born was born in Germany, June 17th 1843. Son of John and Barbara Hammer Liebel, latter a native of Germany. Our subject received his education mainly in the common schools. He came to America when he was about fourteen years of age and learned shoe-making in the city of Erie. He embarked for himself in the boot and shoe making business in 1862, carrying it on five years. Since then he has been in business of various descriptions. He was married in the City of Erie in 1865 to Clara daughter of John Uhr, by whom he has three sons--Eugene, clerk in a hardware store in the city of Erie, Frederick W. And Marion at school. Mr Liebel and his wife are members of the Catholic Church. In Politics is a Democrate.
Mr Liebel was a councilman in the City of Erie for seven years, and for a time President of the Select and Common Council, was elected Water Commissioner seven years ago, last May, and served one year. He has been sufficiently successful in business to enable him to accumulate a comfortable income. He has been engaged in various speculations in the City of Erie Pa.
-- Contributed by Linda Dougan
MULLEN, Tobias, R.C. bishop, was born in Tyrone, Ireland, March 4, 1818; son of Thomas and Mary (Travers) Mullen. He attended Castlefin school, and Maynooth college, where he studied theology and received minor orders. He came to the United States with Bishop O'Connor (q.v.) of Pittsburg, Pa., who was returning from Rome after consecration in 1843; finished his theological studies, and was ordained priest by Bishop O'Connor in St. Paul's Church, Pittsburg, September 1, 1844. He held various pastoral charges in the diocese of Pittsburgh; was transferred to the rectorship of St. Peter's church at Allegheny, Pa., in 1754, and served as vicar-general of the diocese of Pittsburg, 1864-68. He was consecrated bishop of Erie, Pa., in St. Paul's church, Pittsburg, Aug. 2, 1868, by Bishop Domenec, assisted by Bishop Wood and Rappe. The Roman Catholic population of his diocese increased under his administration from 30,000 to 60,000; the churches from fifty-five to ninety-nine, and the priests from thirty-five to seventy-three. He also built a college at Northwest, Pa., and established academies for young ladies, under the direction of the Benedictine nuns and sisters of St. Joseph. He celebrated the silver jubilee of his consecration, Aug. 2, 1893, and the golden jubilee of his ordination, Sept. 9, 1894. He was stricken with paralysis in 1897, and was thereafter assisted by Bishop John E. Fitz Maurice. He resigned in 1899, and was appointed to the titular see of Germanicapolis, He died in Erie, Pa., April 22, 1900.
(Source: THE TWENTIETH CENTURY BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF NOTABLE AMERICANS. Vol 3, Publ. 1904. Transcribed by Richard Ramos)
CHARLES B. SEWELL
Losing his father by death when he was sixteen years old, Charles B. Sewell, of the Thompson's creek region, with a fine ranch and home in Pitkin county, but having his postoffice at Carbondale, Garfield county, began life for himself at an early age and has had to make his own way by arduous effort and his own capacity ever since. He was born in 1851 in Erie county, Pennsylvania, and is the son of Robert and Caroline (Baker) Sewell, of that county, where the father passed his entire life as a farmer, dying in 1867, at the age of fifty-three. The grandfather on the paternal side, Ebenezer Sewell, was a native of Vermont and a veteran of the war of 1812. He died in 1868, at the age of ninety-two. Mrs. Sewell, the mother of Charles B., was born and reared in Connecticut and now lives in Erie county, Pennsylvania, aged eighty-three. Her father, Samuel Baker, was a direct descendant of one of the Pilgrim fathers who came over in the "Mayflower." He died in 1850, past seventy years of age, at Cleveland, Ohio, where he was one of the earliest settlers and a veritable pioneer. Charles B. Sewell remained at home and was sent to school until the death of his father. He was well educated, completing his course at the excellent seminary then conducted at Northeast, in his native county, in 1868. His father's death, which occurred a few months before, made it necessary for him to go to work at once, and he turned his attention to the oil fields of Pennsylvania as a promising place of operation. He continued to operate in this region with varying success until 1880, when he came to Colorado and locating in Custer county, followed blacksmithing for a period of two years. From there he moved to Silverton, San Juan county, where he remained until 1886 engaged in mining and blacksmithing. He then moved into Pitkin county, a distance of some two hundred miles, and bought the ranch he now owns and occupies in Crystal River valley, on Thompson's creek, and since then he has devoted his time and energies to ranching and raising stock, and has succeeded well in the business. He was married in 1888 to Miss Clara M. Thompson, a daughter of Myron P. Thompson, one of the first ranchers in this valley. They have two children, Robert O. and Caroline A.
(Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado, Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)
T. S. TEED, a successful farmer and stock raiser of Brown county, is a native of Erie county, Pennsylvania, and dates his birth from the 7th day of October, 1852. On coming to Brown county, in the spring of 1888, Mr. Teed settled on a tract of land west of the town of Westpoint, and engaged in agricultural pursuits and stock raising. He improved his farm, rendered it highly tillable and continued to live thereon until 1893. when he purchased the place, twelve miles north of Aberdeen, where he has since lived and prospered. As an agriculturist he has made a creditable record, being up-to-date in his methods of tilling the soil, progressive in all he undertakes and his well-directed labors and judicious management have resulted so greatly to his advantage that he is now recognized as one of the leading farmers of the community in which he resides, While devoting considerable attention to farming, he relics chiefly upon stock raising, being largely interested in cattle, especially cows, from which he derives every year a handsome income. He keeps nothing but first class stock, selects or raises his animals with especial reference to their value as milkers and for some time past has supplied several creameries with the larger part of the cream used in their business, besides selling considerable quantities to individual customers. Mr. Teed was raised in a country where great attention is given to the manufacture of butter and cheese, and he came west with the intention of engaging in the cheese business, but failed to secure enough cows to justify him in the attempt. Failing to carry into effect his original object, he turned his attention to dairying and being thoroughly conversant with the business has made it quite profitable. The farm on which Mr. Teed now lives consists of one hundred and sixty acres, lying contiguous to Elm river, all of it bottom land with a soil of great depth and remarkable fertility. It is admirably adapted to general agriculture, producing abundantly all the crops of grains, fruits and vegetables grown in this latitude, the part devoted to pasturage being thickly covered with grasses and herbage, noted for nutritious qualities.
Financially Mr. Teed has met with success commensurate with the energy and ability displayed in the prosecution of his various interests and he is now classed with the enterprising, well-to-do men of Brown county. Politically he is independent in all the term implies, adhering to men and measures best calculated to further the interests of the people. Mr. Teed has made a careful study of sociology and kindred subjects and entertains views relative to present social and political conditions which some people would pronounce radical and heterodox. Convinced of the justness of his position, however, he expresses himself fearlessly and is able at all times to maintain the soundness of his opinions. He is identified with the Tacoma Park Association, an organization for the purpose of awakening an interest in social questions and disseminating knowledge pertaining thereto, being one of the leaders of this school of thought in his part of the country.
[History of South Dakota by Doane Robinson 1901 - Submitted by Barbara Ziegenmeyer]
CHAUNCEY WALKER WEST
Chauncey Walker West, presiding Bishop of Weber county from 1855 to 1870, was the son of Alva West and Sally Benedict and was born Feb. 6, 1827, in Erie county, Pennsylvania. His colonial ancestor, Francis West, who settled in Duxbury, Massachusetts, about the year 1620, is supposed to be identical with the Captain (afterwards Admiral) Francis West, brother of Lord De La Ware, who was governor of Virginia in 1609. (See Hist. Dudley Family, Fol. 978.) His parents removed in his childhood to the State of New York, where in his sixteenth year, he obeyed the gospel, and soon after started out as a traveling Elder. In the fall of 1844 he gathered with his parents to Nauvoo, Ill., where, early in 1845, he was ordained a member of the 12th quorum of Seventy--quite a distinguished position in those days for a young man only seventeen years of age. When the Saints were expelled from Nauvoo in 1846, he assisted in starting the first company for the west. In June, 1846, he left with his and his father's family, to seek a home in the Rocky Mountains. He partook of the hardships incident to that memorable journey, losing many of his kindred on the way, among the number his father and mother and brother Joseph who died at Winter Quarters. With no available resources but his indomitable will and untiring activity he succeeded in bringing his father's large family to Great Salt Lake valley, where they arrived in the fall of 1847. He was one of the first settlers of Salt Lake City and also of Provo, Utah county, from which latte place, in the month of December, 1849, he started with a company of men under the direction of Apostle Parley P. Pratt to explore the southern part of Utah. The company was gone two months and suffered many hardships, but returned in safety. It was upon this return trip, and when the company was threatened with starvation, and came near perishing in the snow, that Brother Pratt selected Chauncey W. West and Nathan Tanner from among the members of his party to go to the settlements for relief; they made a most remarkable night and day journey to Provo.
In the fall of 1852, Brother West and thirty-six others were called to go upon missions to Eastern Asia. They started from Salt Lake City on the 21st of November, taking the southern route to California. On reaching San Francisco, the Elders, who were practically without means, learned that $6,250 would be needed to take them to their several fields of labor. Nothing daunted they immediately distributed themselves over the city of San Francisco and throughout the mining regions of the state, seeking assistance. Elder West went to the latter section, and in less than two weeks the required amount was raised. Jan. l25, 1853, Elder West made a contract with Captain Windsor of the ship "Monsoon," for the passage of the Hindostan and Siam missionaries to Calcutta, agreeing to pay $200 per passenger. On the 28th they set sail and on the 25th of April, 87 days from the time of their embarkation, the vessel cast anchor in the river, in front of the cit of Calcutta. From Calcutta Elder West's labors were extended to many of the principal cities of Hindostan, and to the island of Ceylon. He labored principally in the latter place and in the cities of Madras and Bombay. After an absence of two years and eight months, he returned home, arriving at Salt Lake City July 15, 1855. Among the many very marvelous occurrences of this eventful mission, interesting and profitable mention might be made of the following: Five days after leaving San Francisco, Elders Richard Ballantyne and Levi Savage broke out with smallpox to the great consternation of the captain and crew. The Elders promptly called upon the Lord in fervent prayer for the speedy restoration of their brethren, and the preservation of themselves and then drew from the dreadful disease. God gave them an immediate witness that their prayers would be answered, and in less than two weeks the stricken Elders left their bunks and the smallpox, at first so threatening, disappeared from among them. The night previous to their arrival at Calcutta Elder West dreamed of seeing a little boy standing on the wharf among a crowd of people waiting for the arrival of the Elders, and, sure enough, when they did arrive, there he stood. Upon going ashore, Elder West picked him out and remarked to his companions as he did so: "This is the little boy that I saw in my dream." Upon inquiry it was found that Sister Matthew McCune, learning of the expected arrival of the Elders and having no one else to send to meet them (her husband being away with the British army at the time) sent her little boy to the wharf. That little boy was Henry McCune, now a resident of Ogden, Utah who but a little time ago related the incident to the writer. During their voyage from Ceylon to Bombay the Elders encountered a terrific storm, and through an error in the captain's calculations, the ship was driven so near the shore that the vessel grounded and came near being broken to pieces. The life boats were launched, but immediately foundered, in the midst of these dreadful scenes, Elders West and Dewey rebuked the winds and waves in the name of the Lord, and almost immediately the raging elements were calmed, and the vessel swung off into deeper water. Although greatly damaged, and having several feet of water in the hold, the ship was taken safely to port and no lives were lost. When homeward bound Elder West engaged passage for himself and Elder Dewey from Canto to San Francisco on the American vessel "Hiega," and had gone as far as Hong Kong, China, when the Lord warned him in a dream to leave the ship, which he, in a vision, had seen wrecked upon the coral reefs. The warning was promptly obeyed, and the vessel put out to sea never to return. It was wrecked in precisely the manner seen by Elder West in his vision, for the captain, whom he afterwards met, told him the whole occurrence, and wanted to know why he had left his ship in such a mysterious manner.
To his great astonishment Elder West related his dream, when the captain said with an oath, "Why did you not tell me?" The Elder replied that if he had he would have paid no attention to the warning, but denounced him as a fool. The captain replied with another oath, "I guess you are right." While waiting to secure another passage home, Elder Dewey was taken violently ill with chills and fever at a boarding hose kept by a Mr. Young. In the meantime Elder West had arranged with Captain Miller of the vessel "Cressy" to ship as a sailor to San Francisco, for $15 per month, provided his companion was able to accompany him by the time the vessel was ready to sail. Most fervently did they pray for Elder Dewey's recovery; and one day, while thus engaged, they were irresistibly impressed to leave the hotel and go on board the ship. For some days past it had been raining very hard, and soon after they left the hotel, the storm loosened a large rock from the mountain side near by, which came rolling down with terrific forced and struck the hotel, completely demolishing it. One of the inmates was killed and several were wounded.
In the fall of 1855 Brother West settled in Bingham's Fort, Weber county, and on the 29th of May removed to Ogden, having been appointed Bishop of the First Ward. In the fall of the same year he was appointed presiding Bishop of Weber county, a position which he held up to the time of his death, fourteen years late, He was also elected to the House of Representatives by the Weber county constituency about this time and continued a member of that body until the year 1869, when failing health compelled him to retire from the position.
As a prominent ecclesiastical officer of the Church he was untiring in his labors and zealous in the extreme. His devotion to the cause, and loving fidelity to his brethren, early won for him the esteem of his superiors and the affectionate regard of those over whom he was called to preside. As a legislator he was equally efficient. While not overly fluent in speech, he was possessed of a sound judgment, and keen appreciation of the needs of his constituency, and the commonwealth in general, so much so that he was early called to occupy leading positions on the most important committees of the House, and became prominently identified with all the leading legislative movements of those exciting and crucial times.
July 18, 1857, he received his commission from Governor Brigham Young as colonel of the Fifth regiment, in Weber Military District, and in March, 1858, was made brigadier-general in the Nauvoo Legion for distinguished services in the Utah war, which position he filled with honor and ability. Being a man of great courage, unbounded energy and commanding presence, he was frequently selected for the most difficult and dangerous expeditions. He and his command were among the first to be called to the defense of the Saints when the misguided President Buchanan sent an invading army to Utah. At Echo canyon his regiment, which was said to be among the best drilled and disciplined of the Legion, occupied the post of danger ( always the of honor) in the center of the defile, and when the tidings came of Johnston's intended detour via the Bear river, General West was selected to head him off. By forced marches he and his trusted men made such rapid progress and presented such an aggressive front to the enemy that, hearing of their movements, the invading troops returned to their former rendezvous and went into winter quarters. This practically ended active hostilities, and gave the government an opportunity of obtaining a correct understanding of the Utah situation.
In the spring of 1863 Chauncey W. West was a member of the legislative convention of the inchoate State of Deseret which drafted a constitution and sent Hons. Wm. L. H. Hooper and Geo. Q. Cannon, senators, as a delegation to ask for the admission of Utah into the Union as a State; and at the April conference, 1863, Elder West was selected to go to England and take charge of the European mission, in the absence of Geo. Q. Cannon, then its president. He left Ogden April 21, 1862, in company with Hon. William H. Hooper, and traveled, under cavalry escort, to the frontiers. Upon leaving Ogden, the people of Weber county turned out en masse to bid him goodbye. The artillery fired a salute and bands of music heading civic and military organizations accompanied him some distance upon his journey. This public demonstration of esteem for one whose brief sojourn of six years among them had so
won the hearts of his fellow-citizens, was only equaled by the right royal welcome that met him on his return sixteen months later. At Washington he was introduced to President Lincoln and other distinguished statesmen, and on the 21st of June he sailed per steamer "City of Washington" for Liverpool, arriving there on the morning of the 4th of July. He immediately entered upon the duties of his calling as president of the European mission and so continued until President Cannon's return. He visited all the leading conferences of the British Isles and traveled extensively in Europe, preaching the gospel wherever opportunity offered. Upon the return of President Cannon he assisted him generally with the affairs of the mission until released to return home in the fall of 1863.
As a business man Bishop West was pre-eminently successful until the closing ears of his life, when misfortune of an unusual, and seemingly unavoidable character, overtook him. Prior to this he was one of the most resourceful men in Utah, always abounding in enterprises that had for their primary purpose the profitable employment of his people. He was foremost in the building of canals and wagon roads, and the first to develop the lumber industry by the building of saw mills in the mountains. He and Francis A. Hammond established a tannery, boot and shoe and saddle and harness manufactory in Ogden. He also conducted a mercantile business, a hotel, a livery stable, a blacksmith and wagon shop, a meat market and many other minor establishments. In connection with Joseph A. Young he erected what was then one of the largest and finest flouring mills in the Territory. He also engaged extensively in freighting and carried the surplus products of his people to distant markets. In all these enterprises employment was furnished to hundred of his fellow-citizens.
When the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railways were being built, he and Ezra T. Benson and Lorin Farr took a contract to grade 200 miles of the latter road from Ogden west. It was in the prosecution of this work, undertaken under circumstances that made it Herculean in character, that Bishop Chauncey W. West's eventful life was brought to an early termination. He had been given immediate personal supervision of the work, which was being pushed with all the vigor that money and the competitive energy that the two companies could command. As the Union and Central Pacific forces neared each other, work was kept up night and day, and to add to the already high tension of affairs, the Union Pacific company advanced wages so as to draw off the working force of its competitor. This in turn had to be met by another raise on the part of the Central Pacific contractors, and thus they were placed at the mercy of their men who became masters of the situation instead of servants of those by whom they were employed. It was under these circumstances of labor demoralization that the most expensive part of this work had to be done, and in consequence its cost was enormous, and far beyond the prices to be paid therefore as specified in the contract. Governor Stanford, who was personally upon the ground and understood the situation fully, promised to make the contractors more than whole, if they would not slacken their efforts, bur rush the work to completion with the utmost possible dispatch. This was done, but the promise was never fulfilled, and in consequence, the contractors were financially ruined. Bishop West went to San Francisco to get a settlement with the Central pacific company, but died without accomplishing it. He health had been greatly impaired by the hardships and exposure to which he had been subjected in prosecuting
This work and the damp, foggy weather of the coast, coupled with his great anxiety to secure such a settlement as would enable him to discharge his obligations, proved too much for him in his enfeebled condition. On Jan. 6, 1870, he was compelled to take his bed, from which he never arose again. In his last moments his great anxiety was to prevent grief on the part of his family. Just previous to his demise he declared to his wife that he had been visited by his mother and many of is departed relatives who had expressed joy at the prospect of welcoming him speedily to their society.
At 6 o'clock on the morning of January 9, 1870, his noble spirit passed away to the realms of the just. In speaking of his death Elder Charles W. Penrose in the "Ogden Junction" says: "Weber county has lost a faithful and devoted minister, and the poor a generous and large hearted benefactor. Among the many encomiums passed upon his character, one of the brightest and best and most frequently repeated is, 'He was a friend to the poor.' Chauncey W. West has passed from the sight, but not from the memory of his friends, for his name will be numbered among those of earth's greatest and noblest" Although but 43 years of age at the time of his death, Bishop West left a large family to mourn his loss.
This biographical sketch of Bishop Chauncey W. West will be most fittingly closed with the following brief review of his labors in the British mission, and of his life and character in general, from a private letter written by President George O. Cannon to his son, Hon. Joseph A. West, dated January, 1887: "His labors during this mission were greatly appreciated by myself and the Elders and Saints. During my entire acquaintance with him, from the time of his arrival at Nauvoo until his death, he was a man of untiring energy and industry. He was remarkable for these qualities and for his great hopefulness. I do not think he ever had a feeling of discouragement in his life. His boundless hope doubtless led him into enterprises from which other men would shrink and made him carry burdens which others would not have attempted to lift. He had an excellent command of his temper, and a very pleasing address, and being a man of handsome face and figure, he made friends wherever he went. The experience which he had in public life, combined with these personal advantages, made him a most valuable aid tome in my labors, and our association together while he was in that mission forms one of the pleasantest recollections of my life. In the early years of my acquaintance with him, and especially in summer and winter quarters, and in crossing the plains, and the first two years of our settlement in the Salt Lake valley, which was as long as I remained there before taking my first mission, I was always greatly impressed with the ripeness of his physical and mental powers. He was a self-confident, full-equipped and well developed mature man when others of is age were but youths in appearance and action. I was the more impressed with these characteristics of his because there was not a month's differences in our ages, and I was the older. When he left Nauvoo he was only nineteen years, and when he reached Salt Lake valley only twenty years of age; but among those of his acquaintances who did not know his age, he always passed as a man several years older." From this and many like expressions given to the memory of his life by noble compeers his record may close thus: "Chauncey Walker "West was held in the highest esteem, and regarded with the deepest affection by those who knew him best; he is spoken of as having been a worthy citizen; as a militia commanding officer of high spirit and courage, as a business man of pre-eminent enterprise and ability, and as a never-failing friend and benefactor of his fellow man.
(Source: The Utah Genealogical And Historical Magazine. January, 1911. Transcribed by Richard Ramos)