Welcome to Pennsylvania Genealogy Trails!
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
History and Genealogy
Biographies

 

 

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

B

Lydia R. (Steele) Bailey

Bailey, Lydia R. (1779-1869) - printer and publisher, was connected with the printing industry for sixty years and was the first and only woman to become official city printer in Philadelphia. Of her early life nothing is known, but when she was nineteen she married Robert Bailey, son and successor of Francis Bailey (q.v.) and at her husband's death, 1808, found herself in debt and with four small children to support. The youngest child was only four months of age. Being a practical printer she set about paying off her husband's debts and established a successful business. In this effort she was assisted by several influential persons who knew her plight. One of these was the patriot poet, Philip Freneau, who gave the widow the publication of a new edition of his "Poems." These she issued in 1809 in two small volumes, with frontispieces engraved by Eckstein. From about 1830 to 1850, she was City Printer of Philadelphia and the specialty of her office was book work. She died February 24, 1869, three weeks after reaching her ninetieth (90th) birthday, but had retired soon after the death of her son, Robert, who was her trusted assistant, in 1861.

[Source: Jackson, Joseph,. Encyclopedia of Philadelphia. Harrisburg, Pa.: National Historical Association, 1931-1933]

Republican Compiler (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania), July 18, 1827

From the Lancaster Gazette

Lydia R. Bailey

This lady is a native of Lancaster county. She is the daughter of the late William Steele and niece of General James Steele and General John Steele, all of whom served their country faithfully and bravely during the revolutionary war. Her husband, Robert Bailey, printer, also a patriot of the revolution. On the death of her father-in-law, she was left nearly destitute, with a family of small children to support by her own industry. Thus situated, she made an effort to continue the business in which her husband was engaged, and through the kindness of Mr. Mathew Carey, and some other liberal Booksellers, she succeeded in obtaining employment and when her uncle General John Steele, was appointed Collector of the Port of Philadelphia, she obtained the printing of the Customhouse, which with her general business and her ingenuity and dexterity in putting maps upon rollers, enabled her to educate her children and support her family decently.

With all her claims upon the public, the little government patronage which she enjoyed, could not escape the greedy eye of a prominent partisan of Messrs Adams and Clay, and Mrs. Bailey, who does not print a newspaper and therefore can have no immediate claim to the support of the administration, was dismissed as custom-house printer, to make room for Mr. John Binns.

The claims of this gentleman upon the general government, we understand, have been admitted to their fullest extent, and though he had neither father, uncle, brother or relative, who served the United States in her great struggle for liberty; and though his claims to personal bravery or services to this country, in his own person are not of a more brilliant character than those of the Widow Bailey, yet does the administration by its acts prove that it "delights to honor him."

Mr. Binns was appointed an alderman of the city of Philadelphia by Governor Hiester, which lucrative office he still holds. He was also appointed a publisher of the laws of the United States and of the proclamations and advertisements of the Executive, Treasury and War Departments by Mr. Clay as some compensation, we presume, for his going over to the Adams party.

To all this we might have submitted without a murmur; but when we see the rapacious talons of this cormorant, seizing upon the widow's mite, to stuff a maw already gorged by the hands of his very liberal feeders, we cannot repress our indignation.

Mrs. Bailey is a daughter of Lancaster county. Her relations have always been among the foremost when their country needed their services. Their course has been distinguished for manly rectitude. No man but the duelist Clay, could have insulted her poverty and trampled upon her merits. No man, but Mr. Binns would have deprived her children of bread. The people of Lancaster county will not be slow to manifest their disgust at such evident baseness.

[In addition to the items of profit received by the Editor of the Press, enumerated in the preceding article, we add the furnishing stationary for the custom house, amounting to about $500 per annum, and what renders the removal of Mrs. Bailey the more ungracious is that Binns had the printing of the custom house at the time he got the furnishing of the stationary from Mrs. Bailey.] - American Sent.



REV. EDWIN T. BROWN
1818-1879

Religious Activity in Missouri 1865-1879
(Adapted from Sketches in The Central Baptist, June 1879, and
Other Sources)
R. P. R.

Edwin T. Brown was born in Lancaster County Pennsylvania, in the year 1818. At twelve years of age he surrendered his life to Christ, and about one year thereafter was baptized into the Baptist Church in Pittsburg by the Rev. Dr. Elliott of that city.
He was a student in Fayette College, Pennsylvania, for a short time, but his family having removed to Virginia, he completed his education in Rector College of that State.
In 1838 he was licensed to preach the Gospel. In the selection of the text for his first sermon he showed what was to be the ruling principle of life - "God First." He was ordained as pastor of the Baptist Church at Connelsville, May, 1843. Shortly after he married Miss Eliza J. Bryson, daughter of Deacon Bryson, Uniontown, Pa., a cultured woman of earnest, consecrated life. She was a source of help and comfort to him during his years of Christian activity.
In 1844 he moved to Ohio, and during the succeeding twenty years, became successively the pastor at Mount Vernon, Wooster and Warner in that State. Each of these churches he left stronger and more beneficently active than he found them.
During the Civil War he entered the service of the Government as Chaplain of the 2nd Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, and here manifested the same zeal for the cause of the Master, and in the interest of winning souls to His service as had been, and was subsequently the ruling spirit of his ministry.
In 1865 he was appointed to represent the Home Mission Society, New York, and came to Missouri. He settled in Sedalia, and thence extended his work as Home Missionary into the surrounding regions. Here he found a few Baptists, but no church, and he went to work among the people of the Lord, and they said, let us rise up and build to His name, and today two flourishing churches stand where there was none. In continuance of his good work - in October, 1866, he and Rev. James Woods, as they were returning from the meeting of Tebo Association, stopped in Clinton, Missouri, and preached in the Courthouse for a period of about two weeks. At the close of this meeting, twelve converts were baptized, and a church of twenty members was organized. About one year later he became pastor of this young church, and entered upon the labor of building a suitable house of worship for it. He continued this effort for about two years, in the meantime serving the church in spiritual matters faithfully and efficiently. He superintended the work of the building to the smallest minutiae, and secured for the First Baptist Church of Clinton one of the best church edifices in southwest Missouri, at the cost of about $20,000. On October 17, 1869, the dedication services were conducted by Rev. Dr. Thomas Rambaut, President of William Jewell College, as preacher, and Rev. Dr. G. J. Johnson, assistant.
He then resigned his office as pastor in Clinton and took the field for the Baptist Publication Society. This agency he held for a few years, then accepted the appointment as financial agent for William Jewell College. He was peculiarly happy in his methods as financial agent, and the College was greatly blessed in his efforts to raise money for its endowment, and in the favorable publicity he gave it in all parts of the state through which he traveled. He held this important office but a few years, for as Sedalia became something of a railroad center, his interest in the condition of that growing city caused him to feel the pressing need of supplying the families of the railroad men with Gospel privileges, and he decided to devote his life to this cause. At his own expense - bating about $200.00 given by a brother in sympathy with his work - he built a commodious chapel in the eastern part of the city, and deeded it to the Home Mission Society. Here he preached without remuneration, and gathered together a church of about one hundred members.
On October 28, 1874, this house was dedicated to the service of the Lord, Rev. Dr. G. J. Johnson of St. Louis preaching the sermon. During the March following a series of meetings was conducted by Rev. Geo. Balcom. At the close of the meetings an invitation was given to those who held letters from Baptist Churches to come together and form a church at this place. Eleven persons presented themselves, and with appropriate exercises the East Sedalia Baptist Church was launched, and has become a veritable Ship of Zion. A pleasant coincidence is found in the fact that during this meeting, Rev. E. T. Brown had the sacred pleasure of baptizing eleven candidates for church membership in the baptistery of the new building, and of the eleven, his own daughter was the first. Brother Brown was chosen as its first pastor, and served one year. After an interim of one year, which he employed in general work for the cause of Christ, he was again elected pastor, and maintained this relationship until a few months before his death.
He had a consuming zeal for church organization, and in his period of labor in Missouri, reorganized many churches that had been dispersed through the vicissitudes of the Civil War, and gathered many of them into a new Association, called the Sedalia Association. This name was subsequently changed to Central Baptist Association. That name has also lapsed, and is in part represented by what is now (1917) Harmony Association. This reminds one that the history of the mazy relations of the Association in Missouri would furnish a striking illustration of the influence that the infinitesimal has in producing change in this world of ours. A number of the churches that ha united in forming Central Baptist Association withdrew and Pettis County Association was the result. Two years later, Pettis County Association was merged into what is now (1917) Harmony Association - and may it ever remain Harmony in spirit if not in name.
The ministerial life of Rev. E. T. Brown was a fruitful one. In the thirty-eight years of his religious activity, he baptized nearly nineteen hundred converts, was pastor of seven churches, organized three, reorganized many, number unknown, and built three church edifices. He seemed to have taken three mottoes as suggestive guides to his religious life, and to have lived up to the spirit of them all: God First"; Carey's "Attempt great things for God; expect great things from God" ; "Do with your might what your hand findeth to do."
He died at his home in Sedalia, June 9, 1879, with a stroke of paralysis, after an illness of half an hour. The Baptist Church in Clinton, that he had organized thirteen years before, when the fact of his death became known, devoted the prayer-hour of Wednesday evening to exercises memorial of his beneficient life and labors. It was decided that the church should be represented at the funeral exercises on the following Friday. The deacons of the First Baptist Church were appointed as the representatives, and at Sedalia they were assigned a place among the honorary pall-bearers. The laboring classes, for whose welfare he had so long, so faithfully, so lovingly labored, were prominent among those that mourned the death of this good man.
(Source: Missouri Baptist Biography A Series of Life-Sketches Indicating the Growth and Prosperity of the Baptist Churches As Represented in the Lives and Labors of Eminent Men and Women in Missouri Prepared at the Request of the Missouri Baptist Historical Society by J. C. Maple A.M., D.D. and R. P. Rider, A.M. Volume III; Published for The Missouri Baptist Historical Society, Liberty, Missouri by Schooley Stationery and Printing Co, Kansas City, Missouri (1918) transcribed by Mary Saggio)


D

B. DENNIS
Of the firm of Addison & Dennis. Was born in Lancaster county, Penn., December 9th, 1843, and there resided with his parents until three years of age, when his father died. His mother being in poor health, he was taken to live with an uncle in Illinois. There they remained about two years and moved to Kansas in 1849, settling near Fort Scott. Here his uncle resided about one year removing to Allen county where our subject was reared and partly educated. Owing to the inefficiency of the schools he was sent to Lexington, Illinois, and remained in school there nearly three years. Then returned to Kansas, conducting the uncle's farm, and for six or eight years was largely engaged in raising cattle. Then commenced in the livery business at Humboldt, continuing it a short time and again resumed farming. Soon after this in company with others, he took an extensive trip southwest by team, visiting the Gulf of California and other places of interest. Spent about two years traveling, and for three years was engaged in the barber business at Iola, Kansas. Thence to Independence, same State, resumed his business three years longer. During the troubles at the close of the late war he was connected with an association of detectives under the pay of the Government, rendering valuable service. Though young in years, he is old in experience. His marriage was to Miss Clara Bodley. In November, 1880, he became connected with Mr. Addison, and still continues the same.
Source: The History of Jackson County, Missouri, Illustrated, Union Historical Company (1881) Transcribed by Kim Mohler



E

John H. Epler
Harrisburg Telegraph, Harrisburg, Pa, January 8, 1914
Mount Joy, Pa., Jan. 8. - John H. Epler of Elizabethtown, on Friday completed his eighth term as a justice of the peace, making forty years service. He has had an unusual career as an office holder. He resided in both Dauphin and Lancaster counties and in each his neighbors honored him with elections. In Dauphin, where he was born, he was elected four times a justice and after twenty years in that office he moved to Elizabethtown in 1888. He had lived here but a short time when he was again elected a justice and has now completed his fourth term, or another twenty years. On account of his age he refused to run again at the last election and therefore retires after a faithful and honorable service of forty years.
Squire Epler, when he resided in Dauphin County, lived on the farm that his great-grandfather bought in 1757 and which is still in the Epler name. Mr. Epler cast his first vote for Fremont and has always been an ardent Republican.




G

Green James J, New Ullm. Editor and publisher. Born Jan 29, 1830 in Lancaster county Pa, son of James and Sarah (Batten) Green. Married Sept 27, 1853 to Minerva Whitridge. Educated in common schools Clark county. Learned printing trade Springfield O; conducted weekly paper 1 year; established paper in St Peter Minn 1858; in Le Sueur 1873; in Hutchinson 1902; on papers in Winona and St Cloud; served in Civil War 1862-63 in 1st Minn Mounted Rangers.
[Little Sketches of Big Folks in Minnesota. Publ. 1907 Transcribed by Nancy Overlander]





H

SAMUEL PETER HALLER
-- born at Lancaster Pennsylvania, was a son of Jacob R and Anna E (Heintzelman) Haller. He was born September 09, 1834. he was married in 1869 to Mary James, who died in 1874. They had one child: Charles, born December 25, 1872. He lives at Kirksville {Mo}. Mr. Haller was again married April 04, 1878 to Esther Davis, daughter of Emmor and Anne (Linton) Davis. They have three children: Emmor J, born February 22, 1879; Francis, June 21, 1883; Willis D. November 17, 1884. When only a year old, Mr. Haller moved with his parents from Pennsylvania to Ohio where he lived fourteen years. He worked at the jewelry trade with his father and also learned the baker's trade. He followed these occupations in various parts of the country until 1852, when he went to Colorado and engaged in the mining business till the breaking out of the Civil War. He joined Company H, Second Colorado Regiment, and served till the end of the conflict. He was Corporal and Sergeant, and very honorably discharged. After the war, he and his parents came to Adair County {Mo}, and he lived with them till their death. He has been engaged in farming since coming here, buying his present farm in 1884. It is seven miles northeast of Kirksville and consists of 330 acres. Mr. Haller comes from a famous family, and is a nephew of the late General Heintzelman. Mrs. Haller is English, and a descendant of Sir Arthur Linton. They are of the Quaker faith. Mr. Haller died May 08, 1911.



N

DANIEL S. NEIMAN is one of the representative general farmers of Foster county, and has been a conspicuous figure in the development and extension of the great agricultural interests of that region. He has passed through pioneer experiences and has gained a comfortable competence and a well-improved estate by dint of faithful and persistent efforts and is highly esteemed as a public-spirited citizen.
Our subject was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, in 1850. His father, Martin Neiman, was of German descent and was a hotelkeeper in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and Indianapolis, Indiana. He served in the United States army as a scout. The mother of our subject bore the maiden name of Laha Stair and was a native of Pennsylvania.
Our subject was the fourth in a family of five children and was raised in Indianapolis, where his parents located when he was but one year old. When he was ten years of age the father died, and the children were early put to work. Mr. Neiman received a common-school education and also attended a business college and at the age of twenty years began railroad work as a fireman and later was promoted to engineer on the Indianapolis & St. Louis Railroad and followed railroad work seven years. He went to North Dakota October 9, 1882, and settled in Fargo, where he worked as engineer and in the fall of 1883 entered claim to the northeast quarter of section 26, township 146, range 65, and moved his family to the farm. He remained in Fargo two years afterward and was employed in the electric light plant and his brother-in-law had charge of the farm work. A 12x12 foot shanty had been erected on the farm and their nearest neighbor was four miles distant and there were but three houses between the farm and Carrington. Our subject assumed the management of the farm in 1885, since which time he has devoted his attention to that alone. The first two years did not meet the expenses of the farm, but he has since engaged successfully in grain raising. He now operates eleven hundred acres of land and cultivates about seven hundred acres annually and he contemplates breaking the balance of the land for crops. He purchased a threshing outfit in the fall of 1891 and has operated the machine every season since with remarkable success and now has a twenty-horse-power engine. He has all the necessary machinery and a thoroughly improved farm. He and his family were among the earliest settlers of Rose Hill township and during the severe storms have burned twisted hay for fuel and ground wheat in a coffee-mill. The first church built in the neighborhood was the Congregational church, erected in 1895. Prior to that time services were held in different houses in the neighborhood and the first meeting was conducted by Rev. C.M.C. Burns, a Methodist divine, and was held in a sod shanty on section 26, township 146, range 65, the home of A.T. Railsback. Many of the pioneer settlers of that region have moved from their farms and Mr. Neiman is one of the few to remain. He was one of the first school officers in the township and all of the other officers of the board at that time have goon away.
Our subject was married, at the age of twenty-one, to Miss Eliza J. Railsback, who was born and raised in Iowa. Mrs. Neiman's father, Enoc Railsback, was of German descent and was a farmer in Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Neiman are the parents of one child, Clieve R., born in 1883, and also have an adopted daughter, Louisa, who was born July 4, 1891. Mr. Neiman is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Politically, he is a Republican and is firm in his convictions. He takes an active part in local affairs and has held numerous school offices in his township.
[Source: Compendium of History and Biography of North Dakota, Publ. 1900. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]




S

GEORGE STORMFELTZ

Goliad

Captain George Stormfeltz is a veteran of the “Lost Cause.” On the declaration of war between the North and South, he promptly enlisted as a private soldier in the Eighth Texas Calvary, Terry’s Rangers, Company G, and followed that roving and ubiquitous troop all over the South, taking part in every engagement, large and small, in which the celebrated “Rangers” fought. In addition to the numerous battles and skirmishes in which they were engaged west of the Mississippi river, they fought at Shiloh, Champion Hill, Perryville, Murfreesboro, Chicamauga, Knoxville, Atlanta, Black River (North Carolina), etc. A glance at the map will give some idea of the range over which these “Rangers” ranged; from the extremes of the Confederacy, north, east, south and west. They were very Cossacks, and lived in the saddle. It is a remarkable fact that notwithstanding the number and the severe character of the battles in which this gallant soldier was engaged, he was only once wounded; and then his life was saved by a miracle. Near Rome, Georgia, in one of the many fights the Rangers had with the enemy, Mr. Stormfeltz, who had, in the meantime, been promoted to the command of his company (Company “G”), was stuck by a minie ball on the left side. It struck his watch and its force was thus broken; otherwise the wound would doubtless have been fatal.

Captain Stormfeltz is the son of Jacob and Elizabeth Stormfeltz. His grandfather, John Stormfeltz, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War of 1776. George was born in Lancaster City, Pennsylvania.

He was given a fair English education, and set out in life as a carpenter and contractor. He came to Texas in 1857, settling at Liberty; here he remained only seven months, when he removed to Goliad, where he still lives. He is engaged in the mill and ginning business, being of the firm of Redding & Stormfeltz, and has several thousand dollars invested.

He has been married twice; his first wife was Miss Sarah Campbell, who died in 1871; he then remained single until 1884, when he married Mrs. E.A. Haden. He had but one child, Valentine West, who died in 1883, aged eleven years.

In 1885 Capt. Stormfeltz was appointed Sheriff, to fill an unexpired term; he was then elected, and served two consecutive terms. He is a Democrat, as are most Confederate veterans, and canvassed his county the past two elections. He is a Methodist and a member of the Masonic fraternity. In height he is five feet, eight inches; has blue eyes and sandy hair and beard, and is a staunch and must respected citizen.

[Source: Types of Successful Men of Texas by Lewis E. Daniell, Publ. 1890. Transcribed by Kim Mohler]
 

 

Back to Pennsylvania Trails History and Genealogy