Welcome to Pennsylvania Genealogy Trails!
Susquehanna County Pennsylvania
History and Genealogy
Crime News



Murder of Oliver Harper

Republican Compiler (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania) May 26 1824

Robbery and Murder.

It is stated in the Susquehanna Republican, that the lifeless body of Oliver Harper, son of Judge Harper, of Windsor, Broome county, N.Y. was picked up in the road, in Harmony township, in the county of Susquehanna, on the evening of Tuesday, the 11th inst. The deceased had been down the river with lumber and was on his return home, with money to a considerable amount, as is supposed, when this horrid act was committed. It is evident the villain was fully determined upon accomplishing his hellish design, as two bullets were discharged at the unfortunate victim, one of which entered the head; the other past through his hat just above.

Execution of Jason Treadwell

Republican Compiler (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania) February 2, 1825

Yesterday, pursuant to sentence, this unfortunate man suffered the full penalty of the law, for the murder of Mr. Harper.

Between 12 and 1 o'clock he walked from the jail to the place of execution. He seemed perfectly composed and ascended the scaffold with a steady step. A short but pathetic prayer was then offered in his behalf, by the Rev. Mr. Marks; an appropriate discourse was delivered by Elder D. Dimock, after which the prisoner addressed the multitude with a firm and audible voice during which he was somewhat affected. He solemnly protested his innocence to the last, declaring in the most solemn manner that he was convicted upon false testimony. Some of the witnesses he named. He showed cry little marks of penitence. The ceremony was concluded with prayer by the Rev. Mr. Addams. He then took leave of the clergyman and sheriff, and about a quarter before two was launched into eternity.

As it was expected, this being the first thing of the kind that ever took place in this part of the country, (and we sincerely hope it may it may be the last) an immense concourse of people assembled to witness the awful scene.

Much credit is due to the sheriff and his assistants for the perfect good order with which everything was conducted.

The Indiana Democrat (Indiana, Pennsylvania)
November 19 1874

O'Mara and Irvin

Montrose, Pa., Nov. 12 - The execution of Daniel O'Mara and Patrick Irvin, for the murder of Mrs. Margaret O'Mara, aged seventy-four years, and her daughter, Mary O'Mara, aged twenty-four years, took place at Montrose, Susquehanna county, at 10:30 am today. The peculiarly atrocious nature of the crime and the relation of the parties made the occasion one of unusual interest.

Daniel O'Mara was about thirty years of age, five feet six inches high, weighs 150 pounds, rather pleasant looking.

Irvin was thirty-four year old, five feet eight inches high, weight, 175 pounds; low forehead, somewhat repulsive features, half savage, half idiotic expression.

The crime for which they were executed was committed on the morning of September 17, 1873, at O'Mara's home, about two miles from Montrose station, on the line of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western railroad. Daniel O'Mara was required to support his mother and sister during their lives, after which he would inherit the small farm upon which they lived, valued at $2,000. Daniel was not satisfied with this arrangement, so determined to get rid of them and secure the property at once. Patrick Irvin was O'Mara's hired man. It was said he wished to marry Mary O'Mara, but she did not favor his suit.

The Wellsboro Agitator (Wellsboro, Pennsylvania)
April 17 1880

The Murder at Montrose

An Account Of The Affair By the Victim's Father

On Thursday afternoon, the 15th instant, Mr. Mason B. Wilson was shot and killed by Mr. Frederick S. Warren, at Montrose, Susquehanna county, both the parties to the tragedy being prominent young married men of that county. The murdered man was a nephew of Mrs. Elias Tipple, of East Charleston in this county; and the story of the murder is graphically related in a letter to her from her brother, from which we are permitted to quote, as follows:

Montrose, April 19, 1880

Dear Sister Cal,: I am in trouble. I do not know what to write; but I must.

"Mason is dead."

"A young married man about his own age shot him three or four times, and he died almost instantly."

"Last Thursday Mason came to Montrose and hitched his horses in my father's barn, as his custom has always been. From there he went up town, as well call it, although my father lives in the heart of the village. Fred. Warren, this young married man, wanted to see him, and some way or another, had him go back to the barn. Fred. Warren having hold of Mason's arm in a friendly way, they went to the barn.

"They might have been in the barn ten or fifteen minutes; and in this time, while they were there, Mame went by the barn door and saw them as she passed. Mason spoke to her very pleasantly, saying. "Halloo, Mame!" Fred Warren turned away without speaking to her as he formerly had done; for before this he took pains to speak to her. Mame thought no harm, passed by and went into her house, which is close by. Perhaps ten minutes after this Mason was shot.

"There are two small doors in the barn - the front door, which Mame passed, and a back door into an alley on which is a livery stable, a dwelling house and the back part of the stores on the brick block. Mason burst open this back door and jumped into the alley. As he jumped, instead of striking on his feet, he fell, but got up or partly up, and fell again. Fred. Warren following him, and shooting him even after he was down, taking pains to shoot him the last time in a fatal place, although the other balls were also fatal.

"Before Mason was married he went with Fred. Warren's wife, and they were probably engaged; if so, the engagement was broken, and Mason married another girl, who has been a good wife and mother and daughter. Mason and Annie have two children."

"Mason did not seek this interview; and so far as we know he wished Fred no harm. We hear many testimonies that Mason spoke well of Fred. Warren and his wife.

"As Mame passed by the door she heard one of them say, "My wife says -" This is all we know of their interview in the barn."

From the Montrose Republican of last week we learn the following details of the affair: It was about twenty minutes from the time the two young men entered the barn when a pistol shot was heard, and young Wilson burst open the rear door of the stable and was seen to jump into the alley, crying "Murder! Don't shoot me; don't kill me!" He was closely followed by Warren, who was firing at the fleeing man who fell close at the corner of Mitchell & Goodwin's livery office, fatally wounded by two pistol balls. Warren then went up to the prostrate body, and taking deliberate aim, discharged two more bullets into the dying man, who expired in about five minutes from the firing of the first shot. Almost instantaneous with the firing of the last shot, Mr. Hugh Mitchell reached the side of the murderer and seized him by the coat collar and asked him excitedly, "Why, in Heaven's name, he had killed that boy?" Warrren repliae that "He had a good reason for doing it, and that Mr. Mitchell need not hold him, as he did not intend to run away."

Warren was then advised, and proceeded to the Sheriff's office and gave himself up, and the victim was carried to the house of his father, Saxon M. Wilson.

The revolver with which the shooting was done was one of Smith & Wesson's latest improved 32 caliber five-shooters. Every chamber was found empty. This revolver had been purchased April 3d by exchanging a lighter one and giving some boot, Warren saying he wanted something that would shoot stronger. He had also bought some new cartridges for it within a few days, being particular to inquire if they were good, saying he wanted those that would not miss fire.

The Republican says Fred. S. Warren is about twenty-six years of age, and the youngest of four children of Re. A. O. Warren, a highly respected citizen of Montrose

He was formerly senior member of the firm of Waren & Griffis, who carried on the confectionary trade in the store-room now occupied by the New York Clothing House, where he was employed as clerk up to the time of the murder. About six months ago he was married.

Mason B. Wilson, the murdered man, was about twenty-five years of age, and only son of Saxon M. Wilson, a highly esteemed citizen of Montrose. He was married a few years since to a daughter of Wm. H. Jones, of South Montrose, and has since lived on and managed a farm in that neighborhood.

The young men were brought up and were school-mates together in Montrose, and people could hardly believe the truth of the murder until witnessing the lifeless remains of the victim, for the murderer, up to this time had borne irreproachable character. The relatives on both sides have the sympathy of the entire community.

Theories regarding the cause of the rash act are numerous and many people have visited the scene of the murder.

 Saturday, January 12, 1889 - The Eugene City Guard (Eugene, OR)
Mrs. John Priestly and her grandson were murdered last Saturday and then burned in an incendiary fire at Forest City, Penn.
-- Transcribed by Jim Dezotell



Back to Pennsylvania Trails History and Genealogy