Biographies 
 Bamberg County - South Carolina Genealogy Trails


REV. PAUL K. RHOAD

Rev. Paul Kistler Rhoad, son of Mr. Nathaniel Byrd Rhoad and Mrs. Selina Catherine (Smoak) Rhoad, was born in Bamberg County, S. C., January 16, 1873. After his training in the common schools he attended the Carlisle School at Bamberg, S. C.  He then attended Wofford College, Spartanburg, S. C, for some time.

While in college, Mr. Rhoad felt called to preach, but resisted for a period of ten years. At last, the call became irresistible and he yielded.

He was licensed to preach by the Charleston District Conference, on June 8, 1908. He was received into the South Carolina Conference on trial, in December, 1909. He was ordained Deacon by Bishop John C. Kilgo, at Bennettsville, S. C, December 3, 1911, and was ordained Elder by Bishop A. W. Wilson, at Rock Hill, S. C, November 30, 1913.

He has served the following charges: Hendersonville, 1909; Antreville, 1910-13; Turbeville, 1914.. On December 24, 1903, Mr. Rhoad was happily married to Miss Marie Folk, of Bamberg County, S. C. They have three children-Kistler Edward, Harriet Selina and Miriam Elizabeth. Mr. Rhoad is named for Rev. Paul F. Kistler, one of the real heroes of South Carolina Methodism, and his friends expect to see him honor the name he bears. He has entered hopefully and zealously upon his ministerial career. 

[Source: Twentieth Century Sketches of the South Carolina Conference, M. E. Church, South By Watson Boone Duncan]


REV. GEORGE TILLMAN RHOAD

Rev. George Tillman Rhoad, son of Mr. Daniel Byrd Rhoad and Mrs. Johnnie Ella Durr Rhoad, was born at Wassamasaw, in Bamberg County, S. C, July 10, 1883. He attended the public schools of the country until he was fifteen years old, when he entered the Carlisle School at Bamberg, S. C, and remained there until he was compelled to return home on account of sickness. This was in March before his graduation in June. He then spent one year in the Theological Department of Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn. In his boyhood days Mr. Rhoad felt an impression that he would be called to preach the Gospel. And although he went astray and became an ungodly young man, he never got away from this impression. At the age of twenty-five years, the call was renewed, with such emphasis that ho could no longer resist.   He was licensed to preach by the Licensing Committee of the Charleston District, September 30, 1908.   It was after being licensed that he went to Vandorbilt. He was received into the South Carolina Conference on trial, at Abbeville, S. C, December, 1909. Bishop A. W. Wilson presiding. He was ordained Deacon by Bishop J. C. Kilgo, at Bennettsville, S. C, December 3, 1911, and was ordained Elder by Bishop A. W. Wilson, at Hock Hill, S. C, November 30, 1913. He has served the following charges: Gaffney Circuit, 1910; East Lancaster, 1911-12; Timmnonsville Circuit, 1013-14. He bad two years' experience in teaching in the public schools.  Mr. Rhoad thoroughly prepares his sermons and delivers them with much effect upon the hearers.   He preaches without notes. On December 5, 1910, he was happily married to Miss Mary Ellen LeMaster. They have two children-Margaret Elizabeth and Daniel LeMaster. Mr. Rhoad has entered most promisingly upon his work as an itinerant and his friends are expecting a career of great success.
[Source: Twentieth Century Sketches of the South Carolina Conference, M. E. Church, South By Watson Boone Duncan]


REV FRANCIS ELDON DIBBLE

Within recent years the South Carolina Conference has received into its membership a great many young men, thoroughly equipped intellectually and thoroughly consecrated spiritually, who have entered hopefully upon their great work and give every promise of most successful careers. To this class belongs the subject of this sketch, Rev. Francis Eldon Dibble. He is the son of Judge Andrew C. Dibble and Mrs. Mary J. (Clark) Dibble. He was born at Bamberg, South Carolina, November 23, 1875. His preparatory education was obtained at the Sheridan Classical Institute, Orangeburg, S. C, and the Charleston High School. After this splendid preparation he entered Wofford College from which institution he graduated in the class of 1895. Trained in a home with such an atmosphere as that in which he was reared, it was perfectly natural that his life should be under the influence of religious ideals. It is not at all surprising that he was called to preach. Mr. Dibble was licensed to preach at Greenville, S. C, October 19, 1907, and was admitted on trial at the session of the Conference held at Gaffney, S. C, December, 1907, Bishop Henry C. Morrison presiding. He was ordained Deacon by Bishop A. W. Wilson, at Abbeville, December, 1909, and was ordained Elder by Bishop J. C. Kilgo, at Bennettsville, December, 1911. He has served the following charges: Cokesbury Circuit, 1908-10; Ninety-Six Circuit, 1911-14. Mr. Dibble has had several years' experience as teacher. He taught in Laurens County three years, in the Carlisle School at Bamberg for three years, in Columbia College one year, and as superintendent of the Blacksburg schools for two years. On July 7, 1902, he was happily married to Miss Nevia B. Patton, of Gray Court, South Carolina, who is indeed a help-mate for him in his great work. Mr. Dibble is diligent and systematic in all his work and is very popular as a pastor.
[Source: Twentieth Century Sketches of the South Carolina Conference, M. E. Church, South By Watson Boone Duncan]


REV. Elzie Myers

Rev. Elzie Myers is of German and English descent. His father, Mr. William Myers, was of German descent, while his mother, Mrs. Martha Myers, was English. He was born on his father's farm, in what is now Bamberg County, S. C, on February 16, 1887. He attended the common schools of the country until he was fifteen years old. Having felt called to preach the Gospel, he determined to obtain an education. He attended the Carlisle School in Bamberg, S. C, for two years, then part of a year at Wofford College, Spartanburg, S. C. From there he went to Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn., for one year. When a little boy, Mr. Myers would use a chair for a pulpit, and preach to his companions. He joined the Church at the age of eleven years, but did not fully realize a thorough conversion until he was sixteen years old. At the age of fourteen, however, he felt the Divine call to preach. He was licensed to preach at Ehrhardt, in 1906, and was admitted into the South Carolina Conference on trial, at the session held in Bethel Church, Charleston, December, 1910, Bidhop E. R. Hendrix presiding; Rev. George K. Way joining at the same time. He was ordained Deacon by Bishop John C. Kilgo, at the session of the Conference hold in Anderson, S. C, December, 1912. He has served the following charges: Supply, Cordesville Mission, 1906; supply, Manchester Mill, 1907; supply, Mt. Pleasant, 1908; supply, York Circuit, June to December, 1910; Buffalo and Green Street, 1911; Enoree, 1912; Clifton, 1913; Central, 1914. On February 22, 1910, Mr. Myers was married to Miss Annie Thomas, of Yorkville, S. C. They have one child-Martha Calla, born November 7, 1911.

[Source: Twentieth Century Sketches of the South Carolina Conference, M. E. Church, South By Watson Boone Duncan]



George Alexander Jennings
The present county treasurer of Bamberg County, is an honored resident of that locality and a man who for his advancement in the world has depended almost entirely upon the virtues of hard work and an honest and straightforward character.

Mr. Jennings was born in Orangeburg County, January 22, 1854. Three months after his birth his father, George Jennings, was accidentally killed. George Jennings was a farmer and a son of John Jennings, a native of Orangeburg County. This branch of the Jennings family was established in South Carolina, coming from England, about 1737. The mother of George Alexander Jennings was Harriet L. Moody, who was born in Orangeburg County, a daughter of John Moody.
She was the mother of five children, George Alexander being the youngest.

The latter lived on a farm in Bamberg County from the age of thirteen and had a common school education, supplemented by advanced training in a military academy at Charlotte, North Carolina, and at Porter Military Academy at Charleston. After completing his education he held positions as bookkeeper for such prominent men as Col. John F. Folk, Rice Coplin, H. C. Folk and General Bamberg. He was with General Bamberg at the time of the latter's death. After that for some years Mr. Jennings represented the Simmons Hardware Company until he was elected county treasurer of Bamberg County in 1912. He has had no opposition for that office and has given a faithful and efficient administration of its affairs. Mr. Jennings has been active politically and for several terms was secretary of the County Democratic Club. He was a member of the city council for two terms. He is member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and fraternally is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias.

November 22, 1876, Mr. Jennings married Miss Julia Slater, a native of Bamberg County, and daughter of John D. Slater. The Slaters are an old South Carolina family of Revolutionary stock and English descent. Mrs. Jennings is a niece of Gen. F. M. Bamberg, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work. Mrs. Bamberg is the elder sister of Mr. G. A. Jennings. Mrs. Jennings is an aunt of the Slater brothers of Orangeburg. Mr. and Mrs. Jennings have two children: Allie Aleen, wife of A. M. Denbow, of Bamberg, president of the Peoples Bank; and John S., of St. George, South Carolina.
[History of South Carolina, Volume 5, Edited by Yates Snowden and Harry Gardner Cutler, 1920 Transcribed by AFOFG]

William Elliott Spann
Those who note the notable figures in Bamberg County agriculture have no hesitation in pronouncing William Elliott Spann one of the most enterprising factors and one of the ablest cotton growers in the state. It is said that Mr. Spann had only seventy-five cents to his name when he came to Bamberg County, and he has used his opportunities and abilities so wisely as to accumulate a large plantation and has been one of the premier cotton growers of the county for a number of years.

He was born near Leesville in Lexington County, South Carolina, November 29, 1859. His grandfather was Henry Spann, a native of South Carolina, and one of the early circuit rider Methodist preachers of the state. His father was Philip C. Spann, who served as a Confederate soldier during the war and otherwise spent his time as a farmer. He married Jane Steadman, of Lexington County.

William Elliott Spann is the oldest of a family of nine children, all of whom are still living. He grew up on a farm and was twenty-two years of age when he came to that portion of old Barnwell County now Bamberg County. He soon distinguished himself by his ability to make a farm produce maximum crops of cotton and grain, and has greatly extended his possessions until he now has about 1,200 acres, mostly all of which is devoted to cotton, corn and tobacco. In several different years he has gathered 350 bales of cotton from 350 acres of land. Mr. Spann is a leader in agriculture, has considerable interests in local banks, and is known to have invested a large sum in Liberty bonds.

He married Miss Minnie Hutto, now deceased, and she was the mother of three children, Elliott I.eland, Eva May and Blanche. Mrs. Spann came from one of the old South Carolina families.

The Spanns are an old South Carolina family and besides his father, the subject had three uncles in the Confederate army, one of whom lost his life in one of the engagements. The family is of old Revolutionary stock and of English descent. At an early age William E. Spann had to start in to make his own way, as the war had destroyed the wealth of the Spann family. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias fraternity.
[History of South Carolina, Volume 5, Edited by Yates Snowden and Harry Gardner Cutler, 1920 Transcribed by AFOFG]

Albert Murray Denbow
While he has lived in the state only a comparatively few years, Albert Murray Denbow is widely known as a financier and as an executive officer in half a dozen banks and business corporations in the southern part of the state.

Mr. Denbow, whose home is at Bamberg, where he is president of the Peoples Bank, was born in Canandaigua, New York, April 12, 1884, third among the five children of Alfred and Cora (Howard) Denbow. The parents are both natives of England and immigrated (sic) from Devonshire in 1870, first settling at Canandaigua, New York. Alfred Denbow spent his active career as a banker. He was active in New York politics, and was prominent in the financial world. He died in 1890.

Albert Murray Denbow was educated in New York State, and at the close of his schooling located in Richmond, Virginia. He was engaged in the banking business in Richmond with John L. Williams & Sons, bankers. In 1908 he located at Aiken, South Carolina, where he became assistant cashier of the First National Bank. His home has been at Bamberg since 1912. He served successively as cashier, vice president and since 1916 as president of the Peoples Bank at Bamberg. He is also president of the Commercial Bank of Blackville, which he organized in 1917; is organizer of the First National Bank of Barnwell, which was established in 1917, and is organizer and vice president of the Citizens Bank of Aiken. He organized and is active head of the Denbow Tobacco Warehouse of Bamberg, and was one of the organizers and is a director of the Bankers National Life Insurance Company of Orangeburg.

Mr. Denbow is prominent in Masonry, being affiliated with Orangeburg Commandery of the Knights Templar and a member of the Scottish Rite Consistory of Charleston. He is a member of Omar Temple, Order of the Mystic Shrine at Charleston, South Carolina. He is also an Odd Fellow and is district deputy of the Third District, Knights of Pythias of South Carolina. In 1916 Mr. Denbow married Mrs. Allie Jennings O'Hern, daughter of George A. and Julia Jennings, of Bamberg. Mrs. Denbow is a member of one of the oldest South Carolina families, which contributed much to the history of the state in the past. Several members of her family took part in the Confederate struggle. She is also a niece of the late Gen. Francis Marion Bamberg.
[History of South Carolina, Volume 5, Edited by Yates Snowden and Harry Gardner Cutler, 1920 Transcribed by AFOFG]

Francis Fisk Johnson
Francis Fisk Johnson found his real vocation when a young man, and though he allowed his energies to be diverted by a professional career for a few years, he then returned permanently to the business of planting and agriculture, in which he is one of the leading exponents in Bamberg County.

Mr. Johnson was born in Orangeburg County, not far from the scene of his present activities, on December 28, 1860. He is a member of a family that has been in South Carolina from Revolutionary times. Both his father, Alexander Hamilton Johnson, and his grandfather, Dr. W. S. Johnson, were successful physicians and surgeons and practiced for many years in the old Barnwell District. Dr. Alexander Hamilton Johnson married Addie Powers Hays, who was born in the present Bamberg County section of Barnwell County, her father being a native of Ireland.

Francis Fisk Johnson was the third in a family of seven children, and was educated in the private and public schools of Bamberg. He began farming when a boy, but later studied dentistry and practiced that profession about eight years. Since then he has given his entire attention to farming. He has about 1,000 acres, most of it under cultivation. He is one of the largest cotton growers in Bamberg County. Mr. Johnson is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and the Knights of Pythias.
[History of South Carolina, Volume 5, Edited by Yates Snowden and Harry Gardner Cutler, 1920 Transcribed by AFOFG]

John Elbert Steadman
Iis a young lawyer of Denmark, a community in which he has spent practically all his life, and in which he is highly esteemed as a citizen.

He was born there August 9, 1891. The Steadmans came to South Carolina during the Revolutionary war. His grandfather was a native of Lexington County, and he took part in the War Between the States. His father is John E. Steadman, who was born in Lexington County and was a merchant and died in his seventy-seventh year. He was a second lieutenant in the War Between the States, and was wounded. The mother, Sarah Merritt, was born in Lexington County and is still living, a resident of Denmark. Her parents were from Alabama.

John Elbert Steadman was the sixth child and third son in a family of eight children, all living. He has three brothers in Denmark. Boyce, and Elmore were in the World War, Elmore a finance officer at El Paso, Texas, and Boyce was in the quartermaster's department at Bordeaux. Gordon is with the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. He was well educated, spending one year in Clemson College and taking the law course in the University of South Carolina, where he graduated in 1915. He was admitted to the bar in June of the same year, and at once opened his office at Denmark, specializing in commercial law. In addition to his growing and substantial law practice he represents some of the leading fire insurance companies, and is also owner of a farm in Bamberg County.

In 1919 he married Miss Dessie Hungerpiller, a daughter of J. E. Hungerpiller, of Elloree, South Carolina. They are planters and South Carolinians.
[History of South Carolina, Volume 5, Edited by Yates Snowden and Harry Gardner Cutler, 1920 Transcribed by AFOFG]

Leroy Wilson
Leroy Wilson has been a resident of Allendale nearly all his life, and for over twenty years has been an effective and public spirited factor in the advancement and upbuilding of that city not only as a commercial center but as the seat of justice of the recently organized Allendale County. Mr. Wilson was one of the leaders of the new county movement.

Mr. Wilson, who is president of the Citizens Bank of Allendale, was born in Bamberg County, South Carolina, in 1876, son of Capt. LeRoy and Mary E. (Brabham) Wilson. Both the Wilson and Brabham families are of Scotch ancestry, and the Brabhams have long held a high place in the history and social affairs of Bamberg County. Capt. LeRoy Wilson was a native of Barnwell, now Allendale County, and lived in Allendale from 1878. He was a planter and merchant, conducted a farm in the neighborhood of Allendale and was a noncommissioned officer in the Confederate army. The Wilsons are of an old South Carolina family, antedating the Revolutionary period and coming from England. Mr. Wilson took part in the Red Shirt brigade during the reconstruction period. He was active in Masonry during his younger days, and died at the age of eighty-four in February, 1911.

The family moved to Allendale in 1878, and here LeRoy Wilson was reared and educated. As a youth he chose commercial pursuits, and the accrued wisdom and experience of passing years has given him a dominating position in the community. The Citizens Bank was organized in 1909. Under the presidency and active management of Mr. Wilson this is a strong financial institution, and has furthered in many ways the expansion of his home community. The bank has a capital stock of $30,000, surplus and undivided profits of about $13,000, and deposits aggregating about $350,000.

In November, 1919, Mr. Wilson organized the Allendale Grocery Company, with capital of $50,000, engaged in the wholesale grocery business. This institution has already served to emphasize Allendale's position as the center of an important and flourishing trade territory. Mr. Wilson is president of the company. The new County of Allendale, in the creation of which Mr. Wilson had a creditable part, comprises territory originally in Bamberg and Barnwell counties. Mr. Wilson was also a leader in the various patriotic movements in his locality during the World War.

He married Miss Ge Delle Brabham, of Bamberg County, daughter of H. J. Brabham, of Bamberg. They have two children, Mary Adele and LeRoy, Jr.
[History of South Carolina, Volume 5, Edited by Yates Snowden and Harry Gardner Cutler, 1920 Transcribed by AFOFG]

Hon. James Benjamin Black
While he has had half a century in which to do the work of his life, few men employed their years and talents and opportunities with better distinction than Dr. James Benjamin Black of Bamberg. Until recent years he was engaged in the practice of medicine.

He is one of the prominent physicians of South Carolina. Many business affairs have also presented themselves to his attention, and for a quarter of a century he has been a potent figure in the politics of the southern part of the state. The state as a whole knows him through his long service in both the House and Senate, where his influence has been exerted in helpful ways in behalf of an enlightened program of constructive legislation.

Doctor Black was born in Colleton County July 19, 1849. His father, Robert Black, who was of English and Irish descent, served as captain in the State Troops during the war between the states, and while a farmer and planter he also became prominent in county politics, serving as sheriff for twenty years and also as county treasurer. Robert Black married Elizabeth Caldwell, who was born in Colleton County, while her father came from Ireland.

James Benjamin Black though reared in the impoverished period of the war and reconstruction times, acquired a liberal education, attending the common and high schools of his native county, took one course of lectures in the South Carolina Medical College and finished his medical education in the University of Maryland at Baltimore. In 1872 he began practice in Colleton County, and after seven years moved to Bamberg, where he continued to employ his strength in meeting the heavy demands made upon his professional talents until about five years ago, when he retired except for office and consultation work. In the meantime many other interests have developed. For forty years he has conducted a drug store on one spot in Bamberg. Farming on a modest scale has also been one of his interests, and for a quarter of a century he was associated with his brother Thomas Black in the livestock business.

On the death of Thomas Black in October, 1918, Dr. Black's son C. E. Black took the active management of this business. Doctor Black also has stock in the Bamberg Banking Company, in the Enterprise Bank, recently changed to the First National Bank of Bamberg, is a former president of the Bamberg Bank and now a director in the two institutions.

Doctor Black has given an almost continuous service in the Legislature for a quarter of a century. He was in the House eight years and has been in the Senate for sixteen years. Some of the causes with which his work in the Legislature has been especially identified are prohibition, good roads, education and public health. He is chairman of the Senate committee on medical affairs, and for several years has been one of the trustees and vice president of the Medical College of the State of South Carolina. His home locality has long considered him the chosen leader in the Democratic Party, and he has served as chairman of the Central Committee and chairman of the Bamberg Democratic Club. He is also a former mayor, of Bamberg. Fraternally Doctor Black is a past master of Lodge No. 38. Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, is a past district deputy grand master of the Grand Lodge, a York Rite Mason and Shriner. He is also a past chancellor of the Knights of Pythias and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Woodmen of the World. Doctor Black is a deacon in his home Baptist Church and for over thirtv years has been a teacher in the Sunday school. He served as moderator of the Barnwell Baptist Association for several years and as president of the County Sunday School Convention also for a number of years. When he was a young man and doing his first work as a physician in Colleton County .he received a commission from Governor Wade Hampton as captain of a local cavalry company.

While his purposes and ideals in life have been expressed in a large degree of individual service and achievement, Doctor Black has every reason to be proud of the family of children who have grown up in his home. He married in Barnwell, now Bamberg County, August 1, 1872, Miss Hattie Ayer, a daughter of Charles F. Ayer. Her father was a grand-nephew of General Ayer, a distinguished character in the military affairs of the early state. Ten children were born to Doctor and Mrs. Black, seven of whom are still living: Mary Elizabeth, now deceased, was the wife of Col. F. N. K. Bailey, who conducts the well known military school at Greenwood, South Carolina; J. Benjamin, who died in infancy; Miles Jackson, a traveling salesman; Minnie Quincy, wife of Fred W. Free, of Bamberg; Doctor Robert, a practicing physic1an at Bamberg; Doctor Thomas, a dentist at Bamberg; Dr. Charles F., who also qualified as a physician and practiced until his death at Bamberg; Clarence Ervin, an attorney by profession, but, as mentioned above, is now in charge of his father's stock business; Miss Ethel, a teacher at Estill, South Carolina; and Miss Urma, a music teacher at Bamberg.
[History of South Carolina, Volume 5, Edited by Yates Snowden and Harry Gardner Cutler, 1920 Transcribed by AFOFG]

Lee A. Klauber
Members of the Klauber family have been prominent in mercantile and banking circles in the southern part of the state for over forty years. His life and services well entitled Lee A. Klauber to the rich esteem and veneration in which his name is held and his memory cherished.

He was the founder of the family in South Carolina. Born in Bohemia, he located at St. George in Dorchester County in 1877. His initiative and public spirit proved a valuable addition to the resources of that community. He was a merchant and banker, and found many opportunities to express his generous ideals of service to his community and his fellow men. He was president of the St. George Cotton Seed Oil Manufacturing Company, and personally controlled about 2,000 acres of land at St. George, some of it in timber and the rest in cotton and corn. For a number of years he operated a large sawmill a mile and a half from St. George and cut great quantities of lumber for the South Carolina and Georgia Railroad.

Lee A. Klauber was a member of the Masonic lodge and a member of the Jewish Synagogue at Orange, New Jersey, where he had a brother living. A sister, Mrs. Louisa Plodkin, is now living at Atlanta, Georgia. Lee A. Klauber died September 1, 1919. His character and his generosity made him greatly beloved by all classes of people, both white and black. Many times he was known to have befriended, in a way that amounted to a studious and customary practice, poor women and their families. It is said that on the day of his death probably 500 negroes, stricken with grief at their loss, came to his home.

Lee A. Klauber married Sarah Alice Harbeson, member of an old South Carolina family of English and Scotch-Irish ancestry. She was an active member of the Methodist Church. Her father, William I. Harbeson, of St. George, served four years as a member of the Confederate cavalry during the war, part of the time under Gen. Joseph E. Johnston. He was also prominent in his section during the reconstruction period and served as a member of the "red shirt" brigade.

Two sons of the late Lee A. Klauber are successful South Carolina bankers. One, Robert Lee Klauber, was born at St. George October 19, 1884. He was educated in the local public schools, attended The Citadel two years, and also spent two years, 1901-02, in South Carolina Military Academy. He finished his education in Sullivan, Creighton & Smith's Business College, Georgia, in 1903, and at once returned to St. George and joined his father in the mercantile business. He is now president of the L. A. Klauber Company, a concern whose assets are rated at over $125,000, and is also president of the Bank of St. George, the oldest bank in the community. He is a director in the Farmers Bank & Trust Company of St. Matthews, is connected with the Liberty Bank of Charleston, and operates a thirty horse farm near St. George.

At St. George Robert L. Klauber married Emily A. Howell. Her father, John J. Howell, was for a number of years editor of the Dorchester Democrat and later served as county superintendent of education. Mr. and Mrs. R. L. Klauber have two children, Katherine and Vivian. Mr. Klauber is a Mason, and while never active politically served a term as a member of the Town Council. Fishing and hunting are his favorite recreations and he is a great lover and a judge of dogs and for several years has maintained a fine kennel.

William Adolph Klauber, the other son, who for the past eighteen years has been a banker and merchant at Bamberg, was born at St. George February 17. 1882. He was liberally educated, attending the common schools and the St. George High School, and graduated from South Carolina's famous military school The Citadel with the class of 1902. Soon after completing his education he came to Bamberg and engaged in merchandising, and is still active head of a large business in that line. On January 28, 1920, he bought the interests of the former president of the Enterprise Bank of Bamberg, and at once reorganized, taking in a number of prominent men of Bamberg as his associates and securing a new charter under the name of the First National Bank of Bamberg. The change in name and management became effective May 7, 1920. The officers of the bank are: W. A. Klauber, president; Dr. Robert Black, vice president; W. D. Coleman, cashier; while the directors are Aaron Rice, Dr. George F. Hair, C. J. S. Brooker, Dr. Robert Black, G. A. Ducker, Dr. F. B. McCracken, W. D. Coleman. D. C. Crum, J. D. Copeland, W. E. Free, Dr. J. B. Black and W. A. Klauber - all men of the highest standing in that community.

Mr. Klauber is also a director in the Bank of St. George and is vice president of the Citizens Building and Loan Association and a director in the Bamberg Realty Company.

In recent years he has also taken much part in local and state politics, and was one of the leading supporters of Governor Manning's aspirations for the gubernatorial office. He served four years on the staff of the governor as lieutenant colonel. Fraternally he is affiliated with Ornan Lodge No. 38, Free and Accepted Masons.

February 22, 1903, Mr. Klauber married at St. George Murchy Judy, a native of that community. Her father is Dr. Perry M. Judy, of St. George, of an old colonial family of English and Irish descent. Her grandfather was a surgeon and lieutenant colonel in the Confederate army. Mr. and Mrs. Klauber have three children, Louis A., Perry McSwain and William A., Jr.
[History of South Carolina, Volume 5, Edited by Yates Snowden and Harry Gardner Cutler, 1920 Transcribed by AFOFG]

James Hayes Roberts, M. D.
The veteran physician and surgeon of Ehrhardt is Dr. James H. Roberts, who began practice there nearly thirty years ago. He has had much to do with the professional, business and civic life of this community.

Doctor Roberts was born at Allendale in old Barnwell County March 2, 1863. His grandfather, Richard Roberts, according to the best information obtainable, was a native of France. The father, Dr. Richard Creech Roberts, was a native of Barnwell County, was reared and educated there, and for fifty years practiced dentistry.
He served as a lieutenant of cavalry in the Confederate army and was at one time a member of the Legislature and in other ways prominent in local affairs. He was a major in the State Militia. He died at the age of sixty-nine.

His wife was Sarah Emily Dunn, of Barnwell County. Her father was born in Ireland and came to Barnwell County when a young man and was a contractor and built many of the early houses in that county.

Dr. James Hayes Roberts was the second in a family of six children, five of whom reached mature years and two are still living, the other being Boyce H.
Doctor Roberts was liberally educated, attending the Porter Military Academy and The Citadel at Charleston, and graduating from the South Carolina Medical College on March 4, 1887. For three years he practiced in his native town of Allendale, and in 1890 located at Ehrhardt. During 1906-07 he was in practice at Great Falls, but then returned to Ehrhardt. He is a member of the Bamberg County Medical Society, the State Medical Association, is vice president of the Farmers and Merchants Bank of Ehrhardt, and is affiliated with the Masonic order, the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of the World.

February 25, 1891, Doctor Roberts married Lottie O. Barber. She died July 18, 1895, the mother of two children: Sarah Elizabeth, wife of B. D. Carter, a Bamberg attorney, and Lottie, who died at the age of nine months. October 9, 1901, Doctor Roberts married Laura Dunbar, widow of James Dunbar. They have had seven children: James Heyward, Richard C, Furman, Catherine, Lucile, deceased, Louise and Carlisle.
[History of South Carolina, Volume 5, Edited by Yates Snowden and Harry Gardner Cutler, 1920 Transcribed by AFOFG]

George Felder Hair
The Hairs are an old and prominent family of the old Barnwell district. While farming has always been a dominant interest in the family, the present generation is numerously represented in the professions, several of the sons having been physicians or dentists, including Dr. George Felder Hair, who for twenty years has been a resident of Bamberg and is a former president of the State Dental Society.

The remote ancestry of the Hairs is German, though members of the family have lived in the South since colonial times. The late Judson E. Hair was born in Barnwell County June 30, 1847, and died June 16, 1919. He was a student in the University of Georgia at Athens when the War Between the States broke out, and he and the other members of his class volunteered and went to Charleston to enter the Confederate service. He was with Lee's army for eleven months, and was a musician in the hand. His mature years were spent as a farmer and merchant in and around Blackville. He was one of the prominent Baptist laymen, being one of the founders and leaders of the church at Blackville and a deacon. Judson E. Hair married Maggie Capres Felder, who was born near Branchville, South Carolina, in 1850, and is still living at Blackville. When she was a small girl her father died as a result of hardship and exposure endured while a Confederate soldier. The family of Judson E. Hair and wife comprised twelve children, seven of whom are living: Lorena Blanch, who was married to Thomas J. Martin, of Anderson, in 1886; Dr. George F.; Arthur B., a hardware merchant and farmer at Blackville; John Pinckney, deceased; Joseph Roger, deceased; Dr. Isaac Murray Hair, a dentist at Spartanburg; Dr. Harry B., also a dentist practicing at Columbia; Mary E., deceased; Mrs. D. D. Walters, of Columbia; Mrs. Maggie E. Still and Mrs. Abigail Sanders, of Blackville; and Dr. Judson E., deceased. Of the younger generation some mention should be made of the two sons of Mrs. Lorena Blanch Martin, of Anderson. These sons, Haskell Hair and Rhett Felder Martin, are both married, but when the war came on and they were called in the draft they claimed no exemption. The older went overseas as a lieutenant, and saw much of the front line service with the Expeditionary Forces. He was at Chateau Thierry and other historic points on the French front. He is now practicing as an architect at Greenville. The other, Rhett Felder Martin, who is in the coal and wood business at Anderson, was on a transport bound for France when the armistice was signed, and the boat was then turned about and landed him in America. Earl Walters, a son of Mrs. D. D. Walters, of Columbia, was a volunteer at the age of eighteen in the World war and was overseas with the first forces sent to France and remained throughout the war. He was a sergeant and participated in all the important engagements of the Expeditionary Forces. Like all the others he had many narrow escapes from death, but he escaped without a mark.

George Felder Hair, who was born at Blackville October 31, 1870, was liberally educated, attending the common and high schools of his native town, graduated in a business course at Newark, New Jersey, in 1888, and during the following year was employed by the S. S. White Dental Manufacturing Company at Staten Island, New York. This experience aroused his interest in the dental profession and he entered the oldest dental college in the world, the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, where he was graduated with the class of 1892. Doctor Hair practiced at Anderson for ten years, and since 1901 has been busy in his profession at Bamberg. He has filled all the important offices in the State Dental Society, including the office of president, and is now a member of the State Board of Dental Examiners. He is also affiliated with the National Dental Society. Doctor Hair is a Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner, also a member of the Knights of Pythias, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Woodmen of the World and Improved Order of Red Men. He has never been active in politics, and is a leader in the Baptist Church at Bamberg, being a deacon and a teacher in its Sunday school. On May 5, 1892, he married Miss Leila E. Boylston, of Blackville. Her father is a veteran ex-Confederate soldier, George W. Boylston, for many years a prominent citizen of Blackville. Doctor and Mrs. Hair have two children. Blanche, the daughter, is the wife of J. J. Cudd, a financier and farmer at Spartanburg. The son, P. Belton Hair, received his A. B. degree from Furman University at Greenville, and while there served as a volunteer for three months in the Students Army Corps until the signing of the armistice. He is now in his third year of the Atlanta Dental College of Georgia, preparing for the profession in which his father and some of his uncles have done such distinguished work.
[History of South Carolina, Volume 5, Edited by Yates Snowden and Harry Gardner Cutler, 1920 Transcribed by AFOFG]

William Elijah Free
Began the practice of law at Bamberg in 1908, and has a substantial general practice and also a good business in real estate at Bamberg.

He was born in Bamberg County July 31, 1876. His people have lived in that section of the old Barnwell District, now Bamberg County for several generations. His grandfather, Jacob E. Free, was a native of Barnwell County, served as a Confederate soldier, and before the war was a planter and slave holder. His wife. Elizabeth (Dowling) Free, was a daughter of William B. Dowling, who was the son of Elijah Dowling, the grandfather of Ellen E. (Dowling) Cox so that Mr. W. E. Free's greatgreat-grandfather on.both his father's and mother's side was both one and the same man. Both the Free and the Dowling branches of the family are of Revolutionary stock, the former being of Irish descent and the latter of Scotch descent. A brother of Elijah Dowling settled in the pre-Revolutionary. period in what is now Darlington County. Elijah Dowling was a lieutenant in the Continental army.

The late Charles Benjamin Free, father of the Bamberg lawyer, was owner of extensive planting interests, employing many people. He was born July 6, 1852, and died December 24. 1914. He was the first clerk of court of Bamberg County, beginning his official duties in 1897 and holding the office uninterruptedly until his death. He never had opposition in election after the first time. His wife was Sallie Dowling, a native of Barnwell County, and a daughter of A. J. and Ellen E. (Dowling) Cox. She was born in 1856 and died in 1896, the mother of four sons and two daughters. Charles B. Free was three times married. His second wife was Amanda R. Stephens, who became the mother of two children, while his third marriage was to Lizzie M. Jenkins. To the third union were born two daughters. Of these ten children in all nine readied mature years and are still living.

William Elijah Free was educated in the high school at Bamberg, attended Furman University at Greenville for three years and studied law in the office of the late John R. Bellinger. He was admitted to the bar in January, 1908, and since then has been busily engaged at Bamberg. For seven years he was a member of the law firm of Mayfield & Free, since which time he has practiced alone. He also operates in real estate and loans and is a stockholder, director and counsel for the First National Bank of Bamberg, and a stockholder in the Bamberg Banking Company.

June 17, 1909, he married Miss Birdie Gill, daughter of W. T. and Senie (Brown) Gill of Bamberg, one of the old and original South Carolina families. He has two sons, William E., Jr., born July 17, 1911, and Joseph D., born July 13, 1915. Mr. Free is a trustee and treasurer of the Baptist Church, and a member of the Executive Board of the Barnwell Baptist Association.
[History of South Carolina, Volume 5, Edited by Yates Snowden and Harry Gardner Cutler, 1920 Transcribed by AFOFG]

J. Arthur Wiggins
Active vice president and manager of the Bank of Denmark, first identified himself with that community of Bamberg County in the capacity of an educator. For a number of years he was head of the Denmark schools, finally resigning to take up banking.

He was born at Holly Hill, South Carolina, July 26, 1871. He is of English ancestry, the family coming to America in the 1600's and taking part in the Revolution. His grandfather, James Wiggins, was a farmer, while his father, James B. Wiggins, is a successful physician and surgeon. Dr. J. B. Wiggins was a surgeon in the Confederate army, taking an active part throughout the struggle, and was prominently identified with the famous "red shirt" brigade during the period of reconstruction. He was active in the political world, in which he exercised a wide influence. He was called upon several times to serve in public office and filled the offices of county treasurer and county auditor. In addition to his professional and political duties he owned and operated about 4,000 acres in what is now Orangeburg County, cultivating what is known as a twenty-plow farm. He was prominent in the Methodist Church at Holly Hill, in which he was a steward. He died in 1910. Doctor Wiggins married Mary C. Brownlee, a native of Holly Hill. Both the Brownlee and Wiggins families were early settled in South Carolina.
J. Arthur Wiggins was reared and educated in his home community and received his A. B. degree in 1895 from Wofford College at Spartanburg. He spent ten years as superintendent of the high school at Denmark, and in 1906 accepted the post of cashier in the Bank of Denmark, and since 1915 has been its active vice president and manager. He exercises a wide influence in financial matters of the district. The bank is one of the strong ones of Bamberg County, and has a capital of $50,000, and belongs to the State and National Banking Associations. D. N. Cox is president.

Mr. Wiggins takes an active part in the work of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, being a steward and trustee. He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of the World.
In 1896 he married Miss Mattie Connor, a native of Holly Hill and a daughter of Fred Connor, a farmer of Holly Hill. The Connors are an old South Carolina family of Revolutionary stock. Fred Connor was a soldier in the Confederate army and served until the close of the war. He was a man of sterling character and was an ardent supporter of all measures looking toward the general welfare of the community. He became one of the wealthiest and most prominent men of the Holly Hill section. He died in 1910. Mr. and Mrs. Wiggins have four sons and four daughters: Reynold, Vera, Martha, James, Fred, Grace, Frances and Hugh.
Reynold C. Wiggins is auditor of the Edisto National Bank at Orangeburg. He married Ruth, a daughter of Capt. J. B. Guess of Denmark, one of the most prominent farmers in this section of the state. The Guess family is of Revolutionary stock.
[History of South Carolina, Volume 5, Edited by Yates Snowden and Harry Gardner Cutler, 1920 Transcribed by AFOFG]

G. Frank Bamberg
The Bambergs are one of the oldest families of South Carolina. They were transplanted from Germany to the Carolina colonies about 1700. For two centuries they have been prominent planters, business men and citizens in the southern part of the state.

G. Frank Bamberg of Bamberg is owner and director of some of the largest plantations in the southern part of the state and is also a leading banker at Bamberg. He was born in that city October 8, 1873. His great-grandfather was John George Bamberg, a native of Lexington County, South Carolina, a minister of the Lutheran Church. He died in 1800. The grandfather, John Frederick Bamberg, was a native of that portion of Barnwell County now Bamberg. The father of the Bamberg banker was Francis Marion Bamberg, who was born in what is now Bamberg County and was a prominent banker, stock farmer and planter. He was a member of Hart's Battery, Hampton's Legion, during the Confederate struggle, and served throughout the war as a lieutenant. During the reconstruction period of 1876 he was a prominent figure among the "Red Sh1rts," and although a natural leader among men, he never aspired to political honors. The Town of Bamberg was named for his uncle, W. C. Bamberg, while the county was named in his honor. The United Daughters of the Confederacy also named their chapter in Bamberg in his honor. He was a rugged, fearless American whose unwavering kindness endeared him to all. He helped every one he could and would buy any honest man a farm to start him right. At the time of his death, which occurred in his sixty-seventh year, he left $300,000 in mortgages with instructions to his son to never foreclose one of them, an order which the latter, G. Frank Bamberg, has never violated. Mr. F. M. Bamberg was affiliated witl1 the Masons. He married Mary Ann Jennings, who was of English ancestry. The Jennings family was established in South Carolina in 1737. She was a daughter of George P. and
Harriet Ann (Moody) Jennings and a granddaughter of John Jennings, a native of Orangeburg County.

G. Frank Bamberg was the third in a family of eight children. He was educated at Wofford College in Spartanburg, and at the age of twenty began business for himself as a livestock dealer and planter. Today he owns 2,500 acres, with about 1,500 acres under cultivation, being one of the largest producers of cotton in the southern counties of the state. Mr. Bamberg is president of the Bamberg Auto Company, and of the Bamberg Banking Company, which operates on a capital of $55,000. He is vice president of the B. E. & W. Railroad. Mr. Bamberg is a member of the Masonic order.

In 1896 he married Nell Elizabeth McGee, a daughter of J. B. and Mollie (Cobb) McGee. They have two sons and one daughter: Francis Marion, Joseph McGee and Nell Jennings.
[History of South Carolina, Volume 5, Edited by Yates Snowden and Harry Gardner Cutler, 1920 Transcribed by AFOFG]

Jesse Francis Carter
After working his way through school, paying expenses of his living and of his education and with the aid of his versatile and brilliant talents, Jesse Francis Carter has won an enviable position as a lawyer at Bamberg.

He was born near the little town of Lodge in Colleton County, September 12, 1873. His father, Miles McMillin Carter, was a native of the same county and spent his active life as a farmer. He is of an old South Carolina family of English descent. He married Janie Irene Kinard, a native of Barnwell County, and daughter of Jacob Francis Kinnard, also an old South Carolina family of Scotch-Irish descent. Miles Carter after his marriage moved to a plantation in Colleton County where his six sons were born, all of whom are still living, named: Jesse Francis and Bert Dean Carter, attorneys at law in Bamberg under the firm name of Carter, Carter & Kearse; Joseph Edgar Carter of Wilmington, North Carolina; Alonzo B. Carter of Maxton, North Carolina; Wilbur Lee Carter of Greensboro, North Carolina; and Miles J. Carter of Florence, Alabama, all of whom are engaged in some phase of insurance work, Wilbur Lee and Miles J. owning controlling interests in the business which they conduct.

Jesse Francis Carter as a small boy had opportunities to occasionally attend a log cabin school in Colleton County, a term of only a few weeks each year. He was thirteen when his father died, at which time he took charge of the farm and assisted his mother in rearing his infant brothers. His mother died when he was twenty years of age, after which he attended the graded schools at Bamberg, also a classical institute, and as a means of support taught a number of summer terms. He finally entered Peabody College in Nashville, Tennessee, where he graduated in 1900, and after teaching for a while, he graduated with the degree A. B. from the University of Nashville in 1903. In 1904 Mr. Carter entered the Law School of the University of South Carolina and took two years' work in one, receiving his LL. B. degree in 1905. He then located at Bamberg, and has rapidly made his way to the front as a lawyer. In 1908 he again took special post-graduate work in Chicago. He is engaged in general practice and is a member of the firm Carter, Carter & Kearse of Bamberg, South Carolina. Mr. Carter owns and as a means of recreation conducts some small farming interests in the neighborhood of Bamberg.

In college and university Mr. Carter gave all the time he could to literary and debating societies. He won several debates, including the debater's medal of his society at the University of South Carolina. He was also a winner in the oratorical contest, and was president of his literary society in the University of Nashville and was made permanent secretary of his class at graduation.

He is affiliated with the Masonic order and the Knights of Pythias, and has held many of the offices in both orders. He is a member of the State Bar Association and was attorney for the local board of Bamberg County during the war, also government appeal agent, a member of the State Council of Defense, and a leader in the second Red Cross campaign and in many other war activities. He is a member and deacon of the Missionary Baptist Church and teacher of its Men's Bible Class. Mr. Carter has never been a seeker for political honors, but is one of the most influential men in his party in Bamberg County and is the present chairman of the democratic county committee, serving his second term in that office. Mr. Carter is president of the Home Building & Loan Association, which has an issued capital of $200,000. This is a recently organized company, Mr. Carter being one of the organizers. The company starts off with bright prospects.

In 1911 Mr. Carter married Lydia Jenkins, a daughter of B. M. Jenkins of Kline, South Carolina. They have three daughters: Lydia Frances, Janie Elizabeth and Martha Jaudon Carter.
[History of South Carolina, Volume 5, Edited by Yates Snowden and Harry Gardner Cutler, 1920 Transcribed by AFOFG]

Brabham, Arthur Wilbur, farmer; born at Olar, S.C., January 24, 1863; son of John M. and Carrie H. Brabham; self-educated; author of articles for press since childhood, author of plant investigation literature, grower of plants from various colored seeds, discoverer of Brabham pea; performed legal work in selective draft during World War; married Justina Venlier, Cottageville, S.C., (died in 1911), second, Alma Wise, Augusta, Ga., January 30, 1921; member of Masons, Eastern Star, Methodist Church.  Home, Olar, S.C.  [Source: Who's Who in South Carolina, 1921, tb Donna Gurr]


BACK to Bamberg County South Carolina Genealogy Trails
all rights reserved to the original submitter