Beaufort County,
South Carolina Genealogy Trails

The Original Plan and the Earliest Settlers
by Henry A. M. Smith
Source: The South Carolina Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 9, No. 3 (Jul., 1908), pp. 141-160

The earliest mention of the name Beaufort in connection with the town of that name is to be found in the minutes of a meeting of the Lords Proprietors of the province held December 20, 1710, where it was agreed that a seaport town should be erected at Port Royal in Granville County to be called Beaufort Town. [Collections of the South Carolina Historical Society. Vol. I., p. 181.]

There had been earlier a town on Port Royal Island.  In 1683 a number of Scotch emigrants under Lord Cardross settled on Port Royal Island and founded a town called Stuart Town. Its exact site is unknown and its existence soon terminated. In 1686 the Spaniards from St. Augustine with negro and Indian auxiliaries suddenly invaded the province; fell on the settlement at Port Royal; killed and captured many of the settlers, and dispersed the remainder. After this blow the country recovered but slowly and not until the lapse of twenty-four years does the population in that part of the province seem to have increased to the point of the projection of another town.

General McCrady, in his history of South Carolina, states that Beaufort was the next town to be settled in the province after Charles Town. [History of South Carolina under the Proprietary Government, p. 7.]

This is a mistake as Willtown, or New London, on the Edisto, or Pon Pon, River had been laid out and settled some ten years before.

The erection of the town having been determined on, the charter was issued January 17. 1710/11. The charter recites that several merchants had applied at a meeting held at Craven House April 9, 1709 "and also several Inhabitants of that part of the province of Carolina have represented great conveniences & advantages by constituting a port upon the River called Port Royal in Granville

County being the most proper place in that part of the province for ships of Great Britain to take in masts, pitch, Tar, Turpentine, & other naval stores" etc., etc., and proceeds to order the building "a Town called Beaufort Town" with such jurisdictions, privileges and franchises as to the seaport of Charles Town or any other seaport in the province belonged. The charter was signed by the Earl of Craven, the Palatine, the Duke of Beaufort, Lord Carteret, Maurice Ashley, brother of the Earl of Shaftesbury, Sir John Colleton and John Danson, six of the eight Proprietors of the province. [Public Records of South Carolina (MS. transcripts obtained from England) Vol. 6, pp. 1-3. The town has been stated to have been named Beaufort in compliment to the Duke of Beaufort, one of the proprietors of the province. This a plausible inference but not supported by any contemporaneous record to that effect]

Exactly when the town was laid out in pursuance of this charter does not appear. On June 7, 1712, an Act was passed by the provincial parliament creating the parish of St. Helena covering the whole of Granville County  [Statutes at Larye of South Carolina, Vol. 2, p. 372.]. This Act recites that several persons are settled to the southward of Colleton County on Port Royal Island, St. Helena Island, and several adjacent islands in Granville County who are so far removed from the parishes in Colleton County that they can receive no benefit from the churches therein, and that several of the inhabitants are willing to contribute to build a church and afterwards a rector's house, without charge to the public, provided Granville County be erected into a parish and the rector of the parish receive the same salary out of the public treasury as was paid to the rectors of other country parishes in the province.

The Act then creates the parish and provides that the church and parsonage house should be built on Port Royal Island. Beaufort is not mentioned in the Act and no church seems to have been immediately erected although a rectorwas procured who performed divine service at the houses of the parishioners [Dalcho's Church History, p. 377.].

The Yemassee war broke out in 1715. These Indians were located in a territory reserved to them by law which included the mainland lying north of Port Royal Island. Incited by the Spaniards at St. Augustine they broke out in insurrection and were only defeated and expelled after a protracted, bloody and costly war. The early scene of this savage outburst was in the neighborhood of Port Royal Island and there many of the massacres were perpetrated.

The inhabitants of Port Royal Island itself, however, with some exceptions, received warning in time to take refuge on a ship in Port Royal River and thus escaped.

The expulsion of the Yemassees laid their lands open to settlement, and on February 16, 1716, the provincial parliament passed an Act to grant several privileges, exemptions and encouragements to such of his Majesty's protestant subjects as were desirous to come into and settle in the province. This Act provided that if any person should obtain any grant for any part of the lands belonging to the tract of land on Port Royal Island known by the name of Beaufort exceeding one half acre in each grant such grant should be void [Statutes at Large of South Carolina, Vol. 3, p. 13].

On June 6, 1717, the Council of the province passed an order that every person who took up any of the front lots in the town of Beaufort should be obliged to build thereon a house of fifteen feet in breadth and thirty feet in length in two years time; and those who took up any of the back lots should build a house of like dimensions thereon in three years time after the date of their grants. [Ibid, p. 14.].

The town plat or model designating the lots must have been in existence when this Act and order were passed. It follows that the town must have been laid out and the plat made prior to February 16, 1716. The date of the earliest grants we find is July 25, 1717. On that date grants to a number of lots were made. These grants refer to and describe the lots granted by numbers which correspond to the numbers on the plat as we now have it, and it is a safe assumption that the plan as we now have it was the plan as surveyed and laid out prior to February, 1716.

On August 8, 1717, grants to a large number of lots were made so that by August 10, 1717 grants to over seventy lots had been made and in the vast majority of cases but one lot was granted to each grantee.

On October 11, 1717, an Act was passed which after referring to the limitation to one half acre imposed by the Act of February 16, 1716, proceeded: "Whereas a part or parcel of the said land lies very convenient for a Glebe to be taken up for the use of the rector or minister of the parish of St. Helena without doing any prejudice to the designed settlement of the said Town of Beaufort" that it should be lawful for the commissioners under the Church Act to take up a part or parcel of the tract of land known by the name of Beaufort not exceeding fifty acres to be for a glebe for the parish of St. Helena [Statutes at Large of South Carolina, Vol. 3, p. 13.].

This last Act also after referring to the order of Council declares "the true intent and design of that order of Council was to forward the speedy settlement of the said Town of Beaufort to the strengthening the frontiers of this Province against all manner of enemies", etc., etc., and enacts that any persons who shall take up any of the front lots who do not build a tenantable house of the dimensions specified within three years or who shall take up any back lots and do not build such a tenantable house within four years after the elate of the Act should forfeit ten pounds current money of the province (about $7.00) per annum for every year they so neglected to build such forfeitures to be applied to the building of a church and parsonage house for the parish of St. Helena.

The progress of the town does not seem to have been very rapid. By an Act dated February 23, 1722, it is recited that "the fort at Beauford is so much out of repair and the great gun carriages so rotten that the same is defenceless and of no service, whereby the inhabitants have no place of security for their families in time of alarm, which so much dispirits them that it may occasion a desertion of those frontiers". [Statutes at Large of South Carolina, Vol. 3. p. 180.]

This Act then provides that nine new carriages of cedar plank shall be made for the great guns by the commanding militia officer at Beaufort, who is further directed to repair the fort so as to render the same of sufficient defence against Indians, the total expenditure not to exceed 400. current money. Two scout-boats are directed to be kept and continued at Port Royal, each consisting of six men and a commander, and that as soon as the "pettyaugers" (large boats made out of cypress trees) then building for the scouts were finished the commanding officer at Beaufort was to furnish them with the necessary equipment. One of the scout boats with its crew was directed to remain constantly at* the fort at Beaufort as a watch there and not to depart except on alarms or in pursuit of run-aways, the commander and men belonging to the scout boat to keep a guard and watch in the fort every night. The owners of all lands on any of the islands in and about Port Royal were directed to provide at least one white man for every thousand acres of their land, who should appear and serve in the militia upon all musters and alarms and the fines for failure to obey the Act are appropriated to the building of a guard house and magazine in the fort at Beaufort.

The appropriation Act for the same year contains the following items". [Statutes at Large of South Carolina, Vol. 3, p. 187.]

"To the repairing and mounting the guns at Beaufort 400."
"To the church and parsonage house at St. Helena 1000."

On August 31, 1723, William Bellinger at Beaufort writes a communication to Governor Francis Nicholson in which he states he will send "a Plan of the Fort with the corse of the Banks of the River on the Front of the Fort and should likewise a Plan of the whole Land for the Town but the weather Still hot and Snakes not yett gone and not knowing the Quantity of Land allotted for the Town nor the Quantity each Lott should Contain having not yet seen the Law for the same." [Public Records of South Carolina (MS. transcripts obtained from London), Vol. X, pp. 142-143.]

The fort referred to must have been one probably of small size and intended for defence against Indians for a larger one was soon constructed.

In the appropriation Act for 1731 we find this item:" [Statutes at Large of South Carolina, Vol. 3, p. 36.]

"To his Majesty by loan for building a fort at Alatamaha and a fort and barracks on Port Royal river. 5600."
"To Alexander Parris Esquire his account of Port Royal survey balance due 1502.2.3" In the Act for 1733:" [ Ibid, p. 392.]
"Commissioners of the fort and barracks at Port Royal 1250." [Ibid, pp. 510-537.]

In the Act for 1734:"
"To the commissioners on the fort and barracks building at Port Royal to be paid when it shall be finished and approved of by the General Assembly 2000."

This fort when finished was named' Fort Frederick, and a garrison consisting of a commander, a sergeant and three men maintained there in like manner as the garrison at Fort Johnson in Charles Town harbour". In 1740 an Act was passed for the making more useful Fort Johnson and Fort Frederick." [Ibid, p. 556.]

Very few grants seem to be of record issued to individuals between 1718 and 1743, and there is little to shew the progress of the town in that interval.

On May 16, 1740, an Act was passed entitled "An Act to encourage the better settling and improvement of Beaufort Town on Port Royal Island in Granville County." " This Act after reciting the Act of 1717 declares that "several persons as well before as since the making of the said Act" [i. e. the Act of 1717] "have laid out admeasured and ascertained several lots in the said town, but have not obtained grants for the same", which may account for the paucity of grants on the record in the interval. [Ibid, p. 574-576.]

The Act of 1740 then directs that every person who should thereafter obtain a grant for any lot in Beaufort Town should within three years erect a tenantable house of at least thirty feet in length and fifteen feet in breadth and with at least one brick chimney. In case of neglect so to do a fine of 2. proclamation money was imposed for every year the failure continued, such fines to be applied for the use of a free school for poor children.

In 1743 a number of lots to individuals were granted and the grants seem to have continued then at intervals as the population of the town increased. The number of grants made in 1743 would seem to import quite an access to the town's commercial business and importance.

By an Act passed May 7, 1743, Captain Richard Wigg was appointed Receiver and Mr. George Levingston Comptroller over all the duties, rates, etc., imposed by law on imports in and exports from the port of Beaufort. [Ibid, p. 598.]

On June 29, 1748, an Act was passed reciting that "whereas the small number of vessels trading to Beaufort Port Royal are not sufficient to encourage a pilot or pilots to furnish themselves with boats for the use of the harbour of the said port" and enacting that Col. Nathaniel Barnwell, Col. Thomas Wigg, Mr. John Barnwell, Mr. Charles Purr)' and Mr. John Smith should be commissioners to build and keep in repair a pilot boat for the pilots of the harbour of Beaufort Port Royal; a fund for the same of not exceeding 800 for the first year or 500. for succeeding years to be raised by a ratable imposition on the lands, slaves and stock in trade of the residents of the parishes of St. Helena, Port Royal, and Prince William. The fees to be paid by vessels varying from 3.6. for draughts of six feet and under to 65.15 for draughts of twenty feet. [Ibid, p. 712.]

This Act was followed by another on May 16, 1752, for the same purpose but repealing the tax upon the property of the residents of the parishes and substituting therefor the duties imposed by law upon slaves, liquors and merchandise imported. [Ibid, p. 757.]

In 1758 an Act was passed reciting that "Fort Frederick is gone to decay, and a new* fort has been lately constructed near Beaufort which is known by the name of Fort Lyttelton" therefore enacted: "That every boat or vessel] shall conform to the same rules and directions when passing Fort Lyttelton which are prescribed in and by the said account to be conformed to when passing Fort Frederick" etc.," [Statutes at Large of South Carolina, Vol. 4, p. 48.] and the same recital is repeated in an Act passed the next year-1759. [Ibid, p. 98.]

The exact site of Fort Frederick is not described, nor that of the fort which preceded it. The latter may have been in the square marked "Castle" on the plan. Fort Frederick was probably near the site afterwards selected for Fort Lyttelton on the north bank of Port Royal River, a little below the town, where any vessel approaching Beaufort would have to pass under the guns.

Concerning Fort Lyttelton Dr. Miligan in his Short Description of the Province of South Carolina, written in 1763 says:

Beaufort is the next most considerable place, though a small town about seventy miles S. W. from Charlestown, pleasantly situated on the south side of a sea island, named Port Royal, from its harbour, which is capacious and safe and into which ships of a large size may sail; here is a collector with other custom house officers. The harbour is defended by a small fort lately built of tappy, a cement composed of oyster shells beat small with a mixture of lime and water, and is very durable. The fort has two demi-bastions to the river, and one bastion to the land with a gate and ditch; the barracks are very good and will lodge one hundred men with their officers; there are in it sixteen weighty cannon, not yet mounted, the platforms and parapet wall not being finished for want of money.

In December, 1775, the Council of Safety had Fort Lyttelton put in repair and its guns mounted so as to protect Beaufort, and a garrison was installed and maintained.

In January, 1779, a detachment of British from Savannah under Major Gardiner landed on Port Royal Island. General Moultrie, with such militia as could be gathered, moved to protect Beaufort, but before he could prevent it the command in charge of Fort Lyttelton blew up the fort and spiked the cannon-a wholly useless proceeding as it turned out, for the result of Moultrie's advance was to save Beaufort and after a sharp encounter with the enemy to expel them from Port Royal Island whence they returned to Savannah." [Moultrie's Memoirs, Vol. 1., pp. 290-291.] There is nothing to show that the fort was again repaired during the war.

On March 24, 1785, an Act was passed providing: "That John Joyner William Hazzard Wigg and Robert Barnwell Esqrs be and they are hereby appointed commissioners for ascertaining the boundaries of the land on which Fort Lyttelton on Port Royal Island formerly stood", and the commissioners were then directed to sell the same at public auction.  [Statutes at Large of South Carolina, Vol. 4, p. 701.]

The river has encroached upon the site of Fort Lyttelton, but the durable "tappy" of which it was built may still be seen in broken sections on the edge of the bank of the river where it makes a bend below Beaufort.

Modern ignorance has styled these remains the "Spanish Fort". There is no record of any construction by the Spaniards in South Carolina.

The commerce of Beaufort does not seem to have increased with any rapidity, for in 1762 another Act was passed for the same purpose as the Acts of 1748 and 1752; viz. to provide for the maintenance of a pilot and pilot boat. This act provided that if the duties applied by the Act of 1752 were insufficient to raise 500 per annum for the pilot's salary and 150 for keeping the pilot boat in repair, then the commissioners should impose a tax on the property of persons living in the parish of St. Helena, Port Royal, sufficient to make up the deficiency. The commissioners named in this Act were Nathaniel Barnwell, John Barnwell, John Mulryne, Francis Stuart, and William Hope. [Ibid, p. 156.]

The map accompanying this article is taken from an old map in the office of the Historical Commission at Columbia. The name of the surveyor is not given nor is there any date on the map. The copy is as near exact as could be made; the handwriting on the original resembles somewhat that of other maps supposed to have been made by Col. John Herbert who died prior to 1733. However that may be it must be the original or a copy of the original map, for the numbers given in all the grants commencing with 1717 correspond with the location and numbers of the lots on the map. Some one has written in another hand on the map the names of several grantees.

Many of these are grantees of a date later than 1743. The annotation at the bottom of the map as to the lots still vacant also would seem to have been written after 1748 or 1750.

The street or space along the water front is not designated by any name on the plan. In the grants and some deeds giving the boundaries of the front lots this street is called Bay Street, or The Bay.

There is no space given on the map for a commons, which was generally annexed to the plans of the early towns in South Carolina. The space to the north bounded by lands of Richard Woodward may have been the commons, for by the Act passed March 24. 1785, the commissioners named in the Act (John Joyner, William Hazzard and Robert Barnwell) are directed "to expose to sale in whole or in lots the land commonly known to be common adjoining the town of Beaufort", the money arising from such sale to be applied to rebuilding the parsonage house on the glebe land. [Statutes at Large of South Carolina, Vol. 4, p. 702.]

The following list of original grantees of the lots in Beaufort (which has not been ascertained later than 1776) is evidently not perfect. There are many lots not enumerated as granted which most likely were so. More careful and thorough inspection of the old grant books may disclose more grants between 1718 and 1743.

The list, however, as given (although not extending beyond the year 1776) has cost more labour than can be understood by any save those who have undergone it. In the case of Charles Town, printed in the January (1908) issue of this magazine, there was a list already compiled, and the list of lot owners in Georgetown given in the April (1908) issue was contained in a single deed.   With Beaufort it has been wholly different.   The grants are not indexed according to locality and it has therefore been necessary to pick them out as they could be found.   The dates given prior to 1720 are the dates of the grants themselves. The dates from 1743 on are the dates of the surveyors' certificates which preceded the grant in most cases by a period more or less short.   The first group of grants made in 1717 and thereabouts are almost all confined to that part of the town lying east of Charles Street.   The grant to Edmund Ellis, made July 25, 1717, of lot 116 describes it as bounding west on Charles Street the "outermost" street.   The exception is the grant to Andrew Hogg of lot 344 on October 30, 1718.   This is the only grant at that date of a lot lying west of Charles Street.   In some cases the lots were granted and then apparently abandoned and re-granted, as for instances lots 34, 52, 69, etc., etc. That many lots were still vacant in 1785 appears from the Act of March 24, 1785, which directs the commissioners to ascertain the number of vacant lots now remaining in the town of Beaufort and not before granted and to sell them, paying the proceeds into the State treasury. [Statutes at Large of South Carolina, Vol. 4, p. 702.]

The square marked on the map "Church Square", comprising lots 317, 318, 321 and 322 is the square on which the parish church of St. Helena's Parish was built and now stands. As the appropriation shows that the Church was in course of construction in 1722 those lots must have been taken up by the commissioners prior to that date.

List of orginial grantees of lots in Beaufort.

1Capt. John BeamoreJuly 25, 1717
2Reven ChardavoynAugust 8, 1717
2Thomas MiddletonNovember 23, 1764
3Charles HartAugust 8, 1717
4Samuel EveleighAugust 8, 1717
5George ChickenAugust 9, 1717
6George LoganAugust 8, 1717
7William HazzardAugust 8, 1717
8Robert WilkinsonAugust 8, 1717
9Alexander SkeneAugust 8, 1717
10Francis YongeAugust 8, 1717
11James CochranAugust 8, 1717
13William ScottJuly 25, 1717
14Thomas BruceJuly 25, 1717
15John ShippyMarch 6, 1717/18
16Thomas PalmeterJuly 25, 1717
17Thomas SaturAugust 8, 1717
18Thomas SaturAugust 8, 1717
19Col. Michael BrewtonAugust 8, 1717
20John CroftAugust 8, 1717
21Isaac HayneSeptemtjer 4, 1764
22Joseph WraggAugust 8, 1717
23Richard WoodwardAugust 8, 1717
24Stephen BullMay 23, 1743
26Capt. Arthur HallAugust 8, 1717
27Col. Alexander ParrisAugust 8, 1717
28Andrew AllenAugust 8, 1717
29George JohnstonSeptember 4, 1764
30George ChickenAugust 9, 1717
31Col. Samuel PrioleauFebruary 27, 1717
32Hill CroftAugust 8, 1717
33Edward CroftAugust 8, 1717
34Capt. John CroftAugust 8, 1717
34Mrs. Sarah PurryMay 3, 1758
35Mrs. Lilly HageAugust 8, 1717
36John SkeneMarch 1, 1747
37Robert WilkinsonAugust 8, 1717
38Charles HartAugust 8, 1717
39James CochranAugust 8, 1717
40William SheriffJuly 25, 1717
41John De LagayeOctober 10, 1759
42Thomas BruceJuly 25, 1717
43Thomas HepworthAugust 10, 1717
44William BullMay 23, 1743
45Joseph ParmeterJuly 25, 1717
46Thomas HepworthAugust 10, 1717
47William GibbonAugust 8, 1717
49Peter PalmeterAugust 8, 1717
50Capt. William GreyAugust 8, 1717
51Abraham HayneNovember 9, 1764
52William ParrotAugust 8, 1717
52William HayneNovember 9, 1764
53Isaac HayneAugust 7, 1770
54George MilliganNovember 9, 1764
55- 61 No grants found
62Mrs. Jane ParrisAugust 8, 1717
62James ThompsonDecember 3, 1757
63Mrs. Mary Parris, Jr.August 8, 1717
64Mrs. Ann ParrisAugust 8, 1717
65William FlavellAugust 8, 1717
66Madam Mary ParrisAugust 8, 1717
67George LoganAugust 8, 1717
68Thomas NightengaleJuly 5, 1759
69Alexander TrenchMay 10, 1721
69Edward WiggMay 5, 1748
70Thomas Wigg in trust for his brother Richard's childrenApril 9, 1747
71Major William Blakewey[no date]
71Ann BruceFebruary 28, 1750
72Mrs. Helen LoganAugust 8, 1717
73Patrick LoganAugust 8, 1717
74Frederick Trench of the City of DublinDecember 21, 1743
75John BarnwellSeptember 6, 1759
76John GodfreyAugust 8, 1717
77Capt. Arthur HallAugust 8, 1717
78Paul GrimballDecember 21, 1743
79Lawrence DennisAugust 8, 1717
80Benjamin GodfreyAugust 8, 1717
81Robert DaniellAugust 8, 1717
82John ParrisAugust 8, 1717
83Capt. William DryAugust 8, 1717
84Capt. William DryAugust 8, 1717
85Robert DaniellAugust 8, 1717
86Alexander Parris, Jr.August 8, 1717
87Samuel PickeringAugust 8, 1717
88Robert TraddAugust 8, 1717
89William DeveauxJuly 4, 1764
90William DeveauxJuly 18,  1764
91Philip Marten AngeloOctober 10, 1759
92Francis La BrasseurAugust 8, 1717
93Edward SplattNovember 9, 1764
94Tobias FordNovember 9, 1764
95Robert McLeodNovember 9, 1764
96William EbertsonNovember 9, 1764
97Robert BrewtonAugust 8, 1717
98John JoynerOctober   29, 1765
99Edward DavisOctober   29, 1765
100Benjamin GardenAugust 5, 1766
101Tunis TeboutOctober  29, 1765
102Richard WiggAugust 8, 1717
103-104No Grants found
105Hon. John ClelandDecember 21, 1743
106Hon. John Colleton[no date]
106Elizabeth HayneAugust 7, 1776
107Robert BeardDecember 17, 1769
109Hon. Richard HillDecember 21, 1743
109John AtkinsDecember 17, 1769
110Richard WiggAugust 8, 1717
111Mary Tailfer, widowMarch 3, 1746/7
112David MaullDecember 17, 1769
113James BattenFebruary 1, 1745
114Capt. William Scott appropriated in 1745 for His Majesty's Navy's storehouseAugust 8, 1717
114Daniel MonroeDecember 19, 1769
115Col. Joseph Edward Flower[no date]
116Edmund EllisJuly 25, 1717
117Alexander TaylorMarch 19, 1746
118Mrs. Martha BremarNovember 9, 1764
119John BremarNovember 9, 1764
120Thomas JonesJune 6, 1744
121Thomas Christie[no date]
122William FergusonMay 16, 1747
123Mary Glen, widowSeptember 4, 1764
124Thomas JonesJune 6, 1744
125Thomas BowmanOctober 5, 1747
126William De BrahamApril 12, 1756
127Major William PinckneyDecember 21, 1743
128Doctor James ThomsonMarch 1, 1749
129John StoneJuly 28, 1744
130Alexander SprovalJune 6, 1747
130Doctor James ThompsonApril it, 1755
130John De LagayeSeptember 4 1764
131Doctor James ThompsonApril 11, 1755
131John De LagayeFebruary 8, 1765
132Doctor James ThompsonMarch 1, 1749
133George SeamanDecember 3, 1746
134Richard TalbirdApril 22, 1757
135George SeamanDecember 3, 1746
136His Excellency Robert Johnston[no date]
136John WebbNovember 23, 1764
137James CarsonOctober 2, 1764
138Hon. Francis Yonge[no date]
138George JohnstonNovember 9, 1764
139John BarnwellJuly 18, 1764
140John BarnwellJuly 31, 1764
141George MilliganSeptember 11, 1764
142William PillansOctober 2, 1764
143Benjamin GardenJanuary 1, 1765
144Thomas GullanSeptember 11, 1764
145Etsell LawrenceOctober  29, 1765
146Thomas TaylorOctober  29, 1765
147Richard HowardOctober 29, 1765
148John BarnwellJuly 4, 1764
149Samuel FenwickeOctober   29, 1765
150Daniel BullockOctober   29, 1765
151Thomas StoneOctober   29, 1765
152Thomas StoneJuly 4, 1764
153-154No grants found
155Capt. Pascal NelsonFebruary 24, 1745
156Capt. Robert HodgsonFebruary 24, 1745
157William MaullDecember 17, 1769
158KennedyDecember 17, 1769
159John HutchinsonDecember   2, 1747
160-161No grants found
162John DartDecember 10, 1748
164James WilliamsMarch 3, 1746/7
166Nicholas HaynesMay 26, 1743
167Nicholas HaynesMay 26, 1743
168John DartDecember 10, 1748
170Michael HindsMay 18, 1749
171Thomas BeswickMay 16, 1743
172Thomas BeswickMay 16, 1743
173George SeamanDecember 3, 1746
174John Thorpe[no date]
175Capt. Philip DelagalApril 13, 1747
176James PhilipsOctober   29, 1765
177Capt. Philip DelagalApril 13, 1747
178Jonathan BryanJuly 28, 1744
179Henry WrightOctober   29, 1765
180Alexander CumminOctober   29, 1765
181John RossOctober   29, 1765
183Thomas AdamNovember 9, 1764
184Andrew WalkerMarch 7, 1746
186Charles McNairJune 6, 1747
187Henry HuntOctober  29, 1765
189William BarnesOctober  29, 1765
190John WhiteOctober  29, 1765
191October  29, 1765
192William BlackOctober  29, 1765
193October  29, 1765
194William GregoryOctober  29, 1765
195John GarveyMarch 18, 1747
196Nicholas BurgerOctober  29, 1765
197Daniel GiroudOctober  29, 1765
198William BrownOctober  29, 1765
199William JenkinsOctober  29, 1765
200Henry NorrisOctober   29, 1765,
201Robert WallsOctober  29, 1765
202John DarlingOctober  29, 1765
203William BlackshellApril 29, 1752
204Jacob BonnettFebruary 28, 1750
205Sarah Evelyn CrawfordApril 29, 1774
206Sarah Evelyn CrawfordApril 29, 1774
207Francis Thomas GreenApril 29, 1774
208Daniel John GreenApril 29, 1774
210James SearlesJuly 2, 1747
211Doctor James CuthbertJuly 11,  1771
212William Hazzard WiggJuly 11,  1771
213William BissettOctober   29, 1765
214Sarah GreeneJuly 11, 1771
215Alexander DunlopMarch 18, 1747
215Ann WiggJuly 11, 1771
216Andrew BellMarch 18, 1747
217-234No grants found
235Sampson NeyleAugust     5, 1766
236Elizabeth BowreyAugust     5, 1766
237George BunchMay 26, 1747
238Hon Charles Pinckney[no date]
238Thomas Rut ledgeAugust 5, 1766
239Hon. Joseph WraggDecember 21, 1743
239Benjamin GardenOctober 29, 1765
240Amy Utting, widowOctober 5, 1745
241-299Numbers omitted from plan
301John Parris[no date]
302George SeamanDecember 3, 1746
303George Seaman
304Elizabeth WiggMay, 26, 1743
305Elizabeth Wigg
306Samuel Watson 
306John De LagayeJune 3, 1759
308Robert Williams[no date]
309Thomas BartonMay 26, 1743
310Alexander Gordon[no date]
310William GilbertJuly 2, 1747
311George LivingstonDecember 21, 1743
312Elizabeth WiggMay 26, 1743
313Hon. William Middleton[no date]
313John BullineOctober 2, 1764
314Capt. David Cutler Braddock.December 21, 1743
315William LyfordDecember 21, 1743
316William Lyford
317-318No grants found
319Rev. Robert OrrMay 21, 1744
320-321No grants found
322-324Robert Orr in trust for the Presbyterian  Meeting house burial ground and ministerMay 21, 1744
325Joseph BryanJuly 28, 1744
326Col. William HazzardMay 16, 1743
327August 3, 1748
327October 2, 1764
328Alexander GordonJuly 2, 1744
328July 7, 1767
329John BeswickMay 16, 1743
330John MulryneNovember 28, 1744
331August 3, 1748
331October 2, 1764
332Ambrose ReeveApril 13, 1747
333George SeamanDecember 3, 1746
334-341Richard WoodwardOctober 31, 1743
342November 9, 1764
342July 7, 1767
343Robert WilkinsonOctober 10, 1759
344October 30, 1718
344March 5, 1754
345Col. William HazzardDecember 21, 1743
346George DucatMay 19, 1747
347Allen McCleanMay 26, 1743
348Abraham DunlopMay 26, 1743
349John ChapmanMay 26, 1747
350Alexander HerronApril 19, 1751
351Allen McCleanMay 26, 1743
352William GreavesJanuary 1 1765
353Patrick HindsMay 28 1747
354Col. Alexander VanderdusenFebruary 24, 1745
355Alexander HerronApril 19, 1751
356Stephen Bull, Jr.May 16, 1745
357Allen McCleanMay  26, 1743
357James CreightonJanuary 1, 1765
358Daniel HeywardJune 9, 1749
359William HuntApril 13, 1747
360Hugh AndersonApril 13, 1747
361Mrs. Sarah WoodwardDecember 21, 1743
362Mrs. Mary HudsonDecember 21, 1743
363Hon. Joseph BlakeDecember 21, 1743
364James SmythDecember 5, 1759
365Joseph HamarMay 2, 1748
366Joseph Hamar
368Isaac HayneAugust 7, 1770
370John NeyleAugust 5, 1766
371-373No grants found
374Thomas GrimballDecember 21, 1743
375-379No grants found
400George SeamanDecember 3, 1746
402George SeamanDecember 3, 1746
403-431No grants found
432George Abbott HallNovember 9, 1764
433-456No grants found

This is a FREE website.
If you were directed here through a link for which you paid $ for, you can access much more FREE data via our South Carolina  index page at

Also make sure to visit our main Genealogy Trails History Group website at for much more nationwide historical/genealogical data and access to our other state/county websites.