This history was written from my knowledge of the Bookman family and information received from the following sources:
Fairfield County Museum, Winnsboro, SC ; Dept. of Archives & History, Columbia, SC; The State newspaper, Columbia, SC; History of Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Irmo, SC; Horace E. Harmon; Lexington, SC Lexington County Census of 1850 & 1st Census of 1790, Lexington, SC; Rev. Godfrey Dreher's Journal, Lexington, SC; John Wesley Leitner, Fargo, ND; Jessie Mae Craig-Chappell, Navasota, TX; Lillian Fay Mayes- Wingard, Navasota, TX; C. Irene Arney-McBrayer, Waxahachie, TX; Sallie Blanch McEntire-DeWolfe, Columbia, SC; Carroll Eugene McEntire, Columbia, SC; Scott Hinkle of Scotsdale, AZ, and Al Barker of Keller, TX; Mary Ellen Graff; Martha A. Harr.
SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF
I have wondered about the various names in the Dutch Fork, SC, being Jewish; many of them sound Jewish, however, many German names (in German) sound Jewish, but they aren't. The name Bookman started out being Baughman or Buchmann...then Bachman or Bakman. The first Bookmans to South Carolina received land grants and they had to be Protestant or do a good cover-up.
THE BAUGHMANS/Bookman OF FARMERS TOWNSHIPThe Baughman name can be traced back to John Jacob (Baughman-Bachmann) Bookman, who was baptized on March 20, 1696, in Schottekin, Parish Elgg, Canton Zurich, Switzerland. He was born in Parish Elgg, Canton Zurich, Switzerland in March of 1696. In 1696, Parish Elgg, Canton Zurich, Switzerland was part of Germany. He was married to Margaretha Schwizler in about 1720. She was baptized December 25, 1698, at Parish Elgg. John Jacob and Margaretha Schwizler (Baughman) Bookman had 10 children:
1. William Jacob (Baughman) Bookman, born September 1721 in Elgg, Switzerland; died Abt. 1778 in Harlon County, KY. He married Anna Christine Von Arenthal Abt. 1749 in Elgg, Switzerland.
2. Hans Ulrich (Baughman) Bookman, born July 1723; died 30 September 1802. He married (1) Margaret Geiger Abt. 1744
3. Heinrich (Baughman) Bookman, born 13 January 1725/26 in Schottekine, Canton Zurich, Switzerland; died 12 August 1755 in at forks of Greenbrier River & Wolf Creek, Ft. Baughman, Monroe Co, WV. He married Anna Maria ? Bef. 1747.
4. Solomon (Baughman) Bookman, born August 1729 in Elgg, Switzerland.
5. Susannah (Baughman) Bookman, born August 1732 in Elgg, Switzerland.
6. Margaretha (Baughman) Bookman, born April 1734 in Elgg, Switzerland.
7. Joachim (Baughman) Bookman, born June 1737 in Elgg, Switzerland.
8. Hans Conrad (Baughman) Bookman, born July 1740 in Elgg, Switzerland.
9. John (Baughman) Bookman, born 30 August 1743 in Elgg, Switzerland.
10. Abraham (Baughman) Bookman, born Abt. 1746 in Elgg, Switzerland.
John Jacob and Margaretha Schwizler (Baughman) Bookman arrived in America via a port in Philadelphia on a ship named "The St. Andrew" and under the command of Capt. Brown in 1743. They had 8 children when the family came to America. Ref.: Immigration Index by Filby - List of Swiss Immigrants by A. B. Faust - Naturalized October 10, 1765. John Jacob died in York, Pennsylvania, between 1747 and 1760.
Of the above children, Heinrich, known as Henry, was born January 13, 1726 in Schottekin, Zurich, Switzerland. He married Anna Maria, surname unknown. Together they had at least four children; Jacob, born about 1748 in Virginia, married Anna Hunsaker; Henry, born about 1750, married Mary Wooley; John, born about 1752, married Catherine Shirley; Susannah born about 1747, married Valentine Cook. Henry Baughman died August 12, 1755, at Fort Baughman, at the forks of Greenbrier River and Wolf Creek, in what is now Monroe County, West Virginia.
Henry and Anna Maria Baughman's son Jacob was born about 1748 in Shenandoah County, Virginia. He married Anna Hunsaker, daughter of Abraham Hunsaker, who had been born in Europe in 1715. Anna Hunsaker was born 1750-52 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Jacob and Anna had at least two children: Henry, born 1769 in Shenandoah County, Virginia, married Margaret Sager; and Margaret, born before 1775, married James Moody. Jacob died before April, 1809 in Kentucky. Ann died 1780-88 during an Indian massacre. All of her children except Henry were killed with her.
Henry (Baughman) Bookman was born October 13, 1769 in Shenandoah County, Virginia, son of Jacob and Anna (Hunsaker) Baughman. He married Margaret Sager about 1795 in Virginia. Henry died August 28, 1853 in Cass Township, Fulton County, Illinois and was buried in Cuba, Illinois.
Margaret Sager was born February, 1776 at Stony Creek, Shenandoah County, Virginia, daughter of Gabriel and Anna Margaret (Delph) Sager, natives of Allertshofen, Hessen Darmstadt, Germany. She died March, 1867 in Cass Township and was buried in Cuba, Illinois.
Henry and Margaret (Baughman) Bookman had 10 children: John H. (Baughman) Bookman, born 1796 in Virginia, married Jane Murphy; Mary I. (Baughman) Bookman, born 1797 in Virginia, married Levin Dunawain; Daniel(Baughman) Bookman, born 1799, in Virginia, married Sarah Barker; Elizabeth, (Baughman) Bookman born about 1800, in Virginia, married Mattthias Markley; Henry, (Baughman) Bookman born 1804, in Virginia, married Margaret Murphy; David S. (Baughman) Bookman, born 1806 in Virginia, married Mary Murphy; Barbara (Baughman) Bookman, born 1808 in Trumball County, Ohio, married Andrew Laswell; Catherine, Born 1810 in Ohio, married Frederick Waughtel; Susannah (Baughman) Bookman, born 1812 in Ohio, married Thomas J. Walters; Samuel (Baughman) Bookman, born 1814 in Ohio, married Elizabeth McCall.
John Jacob (Baughman-Bachmann) Bookman received a Colonial Land Grant from King George II on January 10,1749. This first grant was for 200 acres of land and was in Craven County (Orangeburg District) on the southwest side of the Broad River. It is recorded at the Archives in Columbia, SC. (Microfilm # 0002-005-0004-00407-00) NOTE: This area became known as Lexington County and in1880 became Richland County. This grant may have been granted to William Jacob (Baughman-Bachman) Bookman, his son.
One of the above sons, William Jacob (Baughman-Bachman) Bookman, lived on the Bookman Plantation. He was born about 1721 in Elgg, Switzerland, and died about 1778 in Harlon County, Kentucky, and before the census of 1790. He was married to Anna Christine Von Arenthal. Anna Bookman was listed as head of the Bookman household in the census of 1790. I don't know how William ended up in Kentucky.
The US census of 1790 listed three-white males 16 years of age and upward; 3 white females including head of household (Anna Bookman was head of household at this time); and 5 slaves. Bookman was spelled "Bookmann" in the census record.
These were the children born to William Jacob & Anna Bookman:1. Rachael Susannah Bookman, born 1750 in Orangeburg District, SC; died Unknown in Lexington Co., Now Richland County, SC. She married Valentine Cook, Sr. Abt. 1763.
2. Robert Bookman, born Abt. 1764 in Orangeburg District, SC; died 1810 in Lexington County, SC. He married Peggy Dove 01 January 1800 in Warren County, GA (Not Sure About This).
3. Samuel Bookman, Sr., born 25 December 1766 in Orangeburg District, SC; died 15 September 1837 in Lexington Co., Now Richland County, SC. He married Jemima Rainey Bef. 1797 in Ref.: Journal of Rev. Godfrey Dreher.
4. John Bookman, born Abt. 1770 in Orangeburg District, SC; died 1840 in Lexington Co., Now Richland County, SC.
5. Jemima Bookman, born Abt. 1775 in Orangeburg District, SC; died Aft. 1850 in Lexington Co., Now Richland County, SC.
William Jacob (Baughman-Bachman) Bookman was a Revolutionary War Patriot and an "Indented Certificate,” dated January 23, 1786, is on file at the Archives in Columbia, SC. This would qualify all his descendants’ membership in the Sons or Daughters of the American Revolution. (Microfilm # 0015-003-0011-00146-00)
William Jacob (Baughman-Bachman) Bookman received a Colonial Land Grant from King George III containing one hundred acres (100) of land on June 23, 1774. It was in Craven County (later became known as Lexington County...now Richland County) on a branch of the Broad River called Hollingshead (old spelling Hollingshed) Branch. This is where the Bookman Plantation was located and where Samuel Bookman, Sr. was born and is buried. (Microfilm # 0002-005-0030-00531-00)
Very early on, some of the Bookmans - Samuel's brothers - started spelling their name Bachmann, Bakman, and Bachman. You'll see this in the census of 1820, 1830 and 1840. They did not own slaves & apparently lived apart from the family of Samuel Bookman, Sr. I would say they were more like the Amish or Pennsylvania Dutch - but originally they were the same family. Some of this could be census takers’ error but that branch did not own slaves and apparently wanted to be apart from slave owners.
Samuel Bookman, Sr. inherited land from his grandfather, John Jacob Bookman, and his father, William Jacob Bookman that they had been granted in 1749 & 1774. It was very large tract of land on or near the east banks of the Broad River.
It was recorded that Daniel Murff (Murphy), of Fairfield District, sold Samuel Bookman, Sr., of Lexington District, 183 ½ acres of land for three hundred dollars on February 21, 1814. He had access to this land from his plantation via the Bookman Island in the Broad River.
The Bookman Island is formed from islands in the middle of the Broad River. It is north of Columbia and east of the Bookman Plantation. Carroll (Red) Eugene McEntire, Sr., grandson of Carroll Eugene Bookman, said, "Some of the best cotton ever grown in South Carolina was grown on the Bookman Island.” He also said, "Madison Washington Lorick (Uncle Matty) was the only man to carry two, two hundred pound hogs - one under each arm - across the Broad River to the Bookman Island.”
Samuel Bookman, Sr. was a son of William Jacob & Anna Bookman. He was born on December 25, 1766 and died on September 15, 1838. His tombstone reads that he died on September 15, 1837. It was recorded in the Journal of the late Rev. Godfrey Dreher (Pg.#160): that he preached the funeral of Samuel Bookman, Sr. on September 15, 1838. His text was taken from Psalm 12:1. “Help, Lord; for the godly man’s ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men.” NOTE: The stonecutter must have made a mistake when carving the year on Samuel's tombstone.
Direction to the grave site of Samuel Bookman, Sr. (1766 -1837) & family is as followers: From Columbia, S.C., drive by Dutch Square Mall on Highway #176 for 5.6 miles; turn right on Kennerly Road & drive 3.2 miles; turn left on Charles Griner Road. The grave site will be on the right about 1-block past Jean's Styling Center. The grave can be seen from Charles Griner Road in a grove of cedar trees.
The 1st grave is believed to be the unnamed infant of John and Mary Magdaline Seastrunk Bookman and is dated 1822. Rev. Godfrey Dreher's Journal states that he married the above on June 12, 1821. Their first child was born premature on January 13, 1822 and died right away . . . a still born.
The 2nd grave is believed to be the grave of Samuel Bookman, Jr. and son of Samuel & Jemima Bookman. The stone was very hard to read and had only initials in graved on it with a date.
Headstone reads: S___B______W__B___ August 23, 1805 ---- D___ August 21, 1808
Deciphered as: Samuel Bookman, Jr. Was Born August 23, 1805 - Died August 21, 1808
The 3rd grave reads: Sacred to the memory of Samuel Bookman (Sr.) who departed this life September 15, 1837, age of 71 years 8 months & 21 days. The deceased was born on the same plantation on which he died in the District of Lexington (now. The grave is in Richland County) on Broad River. This stone was placed over his remains by his children as a testimony of their filial love. He was for many years a member of the Presbyterian Church and walked worthy of this Christian profession. "BLESSED ARE THE DEAD, WHO DIE IN THE LORD FOR THEY REST FROM THEIR LABORS AND THEIR WORKS DO FOLLOW THEM"
The 4th grave is believed to be a daughter of Samuel & Jemina Bookman. The headstone reads in part: Born 1812 - died in October 1822; In the summer of 1991, only part of October could be read, along with the year 1822. From the Journal of The Rev. Godfrey Dreher: “Saturday, October 19, 1822, preached the funeral for Bookman’s child from Romans 6:23 . . . For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
On Sunday, December 30, 1827, Rev. Godfrey Dreher preached at Bethlehem (Bookman's Church), on the Broad River, from Galatians 4:1-7. He also baptized Mrs. Bookman (Jemima Bookman) and her child. This child is believed to be David Bookman, #1 (1818-1868), that had been born on September 8, 1818. He would have been 9-years-old at this time.
From Collins Gem's Dictionary of FIRST NAMES: The Hebrew meaning of SAMUEL is "heard by God,” or "asked of God.” The two Books of Samuel in the Old Testament tell how the prophet was the leader of the Israelites until they demanded a king, how he had to anoint Saul, and later trained David to replace him. The Hebrew meaning of JEMIMA is "dove,” and the name of one of Job's daughters in the Old Testament.
The Last Will & Testament of Samuel Bookman, Sr. (1766 -1837) cannot be found, after looking for it at the South Carolina Department of Archives in Columbia. General William Tecumseh Sherman burned the Lexington County court house on his march through South Carolina in 1865 and this must be the reason a will cannot be found, if Samuel left one.
Samuel Bookman, Sr. father, William Jacob Bookman, is listed as one of the 27 signers of the petition for the first Bethlehem Lutheran Church on the Broad River in 1788. It's recorded in the "Irmo & Dutch Fork Legacy" book (Pg.#39) published in 1990, and the "Bethlehem Church Anniversary Booklet" published in 1963.
Samuel Bookman, Sr. (1766 -1837) was also associated with the first Bethlehem Lutheran Church. It was known as the "ELLISOR CHURCH" because of the families in the area named "ELLISOR" (Elisore). He was one of the first wardens of this church along with Christian Freshley. The Ellisor Church was about ½ mile north of Hollingshed Creek and about ½ mile west of the Broad River. There is a historic marker on the Kennerly Road, in Richland County, that marks the site of the Ellisor Church.
In 1847, the Ellisor Church congregation sold the first Bethlehem Church land to Alexander Daily for fifty dollars. The deed was signed by David Bookman, #1 and his brother, Thomas T. Bookman. At that time they were the Elders in this second Bethlehem Lutheran Church.
Church members wanted to get the Loricks and Swygerts interested in the church so the Ellisor Church congregation moved three miles to the south side of Hollingshed Creek. This second Bethlehem Lutheran Church was called "Bookman's Church" because the church was on land of Samuel and Jemima Rainey Bookman. The Journal of Rev. Godfrey Dreher states: “Preached at the new Bookman Church on the Broad River, June 6th, 1819."
A deed to the congregation for this new church was not made until June 7,1875. The price paid was $16.75. Carroll Eugene Bookman, William Washington Lorick, Jr. and Wade Alexander Lorick signed the deed because they were the Elders of this church. Bethlehem didn't get clear title to this property until May 24, 1993.
The third Bethlehem Lutheran Church was called "THE WHITE CHURCH". It was situated on land bought from the Estate of the late George Washington Lorick, Jr. in 1899. The purchase price was twenty dollars.
George Washington Lorick, Jr. (Wash Lorick) was born in February 1818 (day is unknown) and died at the age of seventy five on November 5, 1893. He was laid to rest at the Bookman Cemetery next to his wife, Caroline Elivra Geiger-Lorick. She was born on July 22, 1826 and died on September 25, 1885. She was the daughter of William & Margaret Kersh Geiger of Sandy Run, South Carolina. Also, she was a cousin to the famous Emily Geiger (1765-1825), heroine of the American Revolution.
It was recorded in the Journal of The Rev. Godfrey Dreher (page #9), on Sunday afternoon, September 3, 1820, that he preached a funeral sermon for one of George Lorick’s children and baptized one. The funeral sermon was for a unnamed baby that is believed to have died at birth, and the child baptized is believed to be George Washington Lorick, Jr.. Since he had been born in February (1818) and would have been about 2 ½ years old at that time.
The fourth Bethlehem Lutheran Church was built on the north-side of where "THE WHITE CHURCH" once stood. Current church address is 10,000 Broad River Road, Irmo, SC 29063. The construction of this church was not completed until the summer of 1951. The first service was held on July 1, 1951.
William Henry Lorick, David Franklin Lorick, Jacob Eugene Lorick, Madison Washington Lorick, Herbert Calhoun Lorick, Wilhelmina Bookman Lorick, Lillian Maude Lorick-Lorick, and Mary Caroline Lorick-Costner, were the grandchildren of George Washington Lorick, Jr.. They were members at Bethlehem and contributed lots of time and money toward the work at this church.
"THEIR WORKS DO FOLLOW THEM"
Samuel Bookman, Sr. (1766-1837) was married to Jemima (Junema) Rainey from the State of Virginia. They were married in about 1797 or earlier. They had ten children as follows: #1. John B. Bookman (1797 -1824); #2. Jacob Oscar Bookman (1800 -1883); #3.Thomas T. Bookman (1802 -1855); #4. Samuel Bookman, Jr. (1805-1806); #5. Anna Barbara Bookman-Bouknight-Lown (1807-1864); #6. Daniel E. Bookman (1810 -1896); #7. unnamed baby girl (1812-1822) buried next to their father on the Bookman Plantation ; #8. Joseph C. Bookman (1814 -1879); #9. Jesse Bookman (1816 -1883); and #10. David Bookman, #1 (1818-1868).
In 1845 or '46, after the death of her husband Samuel Bookman, Sr. (1766 -1837), Jemima (Junema) Bookman, along with three of her sons Daniel E. Bookman (1810 -1896), Joseph C. Bookman (1814 -1879), and Jesse Bookman (1816 -1883), migrated to the State of Texas. Also, Samuel Ike Bookman (1824 -1865), son of John B. Bookman (1797-1824), migrated later with Jemima's daughter, Anna Barbara Bookman-Bauknight- Lown.
The Bookmans settled about 26 miles east of Novasota in a community called "Prairie Plains" in Grimes County, Texas. It was about 3 miles from Shiro, Texas. When the railroad came through Shiro everyone moved there and Prairie Plains died. As of this date, many of the Samuel Bookman’s, Sr. descendants are still living in this area.
All the Bookmans’ helped to found the Shiro Presbyterian Church; the Red Top Cemetery and the local school. Jemima Rainey-Bookman (1782 - 1856) is buried at the Red Top Cemetery near Shiro, Texas. Also, her three sons and only daughter are buried there. Samuel and Jemima Bookman are buried over 800 hundred miles from each other. Jemima does not have a headstone at her grave as many headstones were destroyed or lost. There is a grave covered with rock but no marker stating who it may be. Other Bookmans are buried in the this cemetery plus in-laws; in-laws families; friends and neighbors.
Several factors were in play when the Bookmans migrated to Texas in 1845 or '46. The boys, Daniel, Joseph, & Jesse Bookman, were fourth generation Americans and third generation in the Dutch Fork Section of South Carolina. The Bookmans had been there over 100 years and all the "Good Land" was taken. These Bookmans were large slave owners and needed lots of land. When Texas was annexed by the Union in 1845, there was lots of public land that needed settlers. From 1836, when Texas won their independence, until 1844, the Texans had lots of problems with the Mexicans and skirmishes with the Indians. After annexation, with protection furnished by the U.S. Calvary, it was reasonable safe to settle. Texas passed the Home-stead Act and land was given to settlers or sold dirt cheap. When the first settlers migrated, they settled in east Texas in Grimes, Walker, Montgomery, and Washington Counties. They thought it looked like the Dutch Fork section (land between Broad & Saluda River) of South Carolina. This new land was beautiful and it was free for the taking. Everyone had the "ITCH" to move & there was a great exodus west and other western states.
Jacob Oscar Bookman (1800-1883) and John B. Bookman (1797 -1824), oldest sons of Samuel and Jemima Rainey Bookman, did not go to Texas. They stayed in Fairfield District with their family. John B. Bookman was born in 1797 and died intestate in April 1824. He was married to Mary Magdaline Seastrunk (1802-1853) on June 12, 1821 and had the following children: Unnamed son born on January 13, 1822; he died at birth and was buried by Samuel Bookman, Sr. (1766 -1837) on the Plantation; Martha Elizabeth; Samuel Ike Bookman was born on December 19, 1824 and died in Grimes County, Texas, in 1865.
Jacob Oscar Bookman (1800-1883) was married to Rebecca Sarah Chappell (1814-1854) on August 17, 1834. She was the daughter of John S. & Gracey Goodwyn Chappell. He and his wife are buried in Fairfield County on the west-side of Crooked Run Creek near the site of Bookman's Mill. He was a planter and lived close to his brother and all of his nine children; William C. Bookman never married & buried by father; Victoria Bookman married Urigh Trapp; Oscar Bookman married Elizabeth (maiden name unknown); Marion M. Bookman married Joel Smith; Eugenia C. Bookman married Elbridge Craig; Allis (Mary Alice) Bookman married Joseph Russell Black; Thomas C. Bookman died young; Algernom Goodwyn Bookman married Elizabeth Kinsler Finley; and Weston C. Bookman unmarried.
John B. Bookman (1797 -1824) was only 26-years-old when he died and his brother, Jacob Oscar Bookman, was named administrator of his estate on April 19, 1824. John B. Bookman (1797 -1824) was a carpenter and blacksmith. At the time of his death, he and his father, Samuel Bookman, Sr., were building a saw... & gristmill on land in Fairfield District that Samuel owned.
Samuel Bookman, Sr. and Mary Magdaline Seastrunk Bookman, widow of John B. Bookman, agreed to have Robert Farbridge, Thomas Minton, and John Turnipseed place a true value on the work already done on the saw and gristmill. The amount agreed on was $440 dollars.
On April 18, 1825, Samuel Bookman, Sr. (1766 -1837) wrote a letter stating that he intended the land he owned in Fairfield District to be given equally to two of his sons, John B. and Jacob Oscar Bookman (1800 -1883). When John B. Bookman died in 1824, the land that he would have inherited went to Jacob Oscar Bookman. Jacob Oscar Bookman had to give land of equal value elsewhere to the heirs of John B. Bookman.
The final settlement of the Estate of John B. Bookman (1797 -1824) took place on December 8, 1832. His widow, Mary Magdaline Seastrunk Bookman, was now married to Henry Bouknight. She was given $365.23 dollars as her third; her children, Samuel Ike Bookman (1824 -1865) & Martha Elizabeth Bookman, were given a third. Jacob Oscar Bookman (1800 -1883) was made the guardian of the two children.
Samuel Wirick of Fairfield District sold Jacob Oscar Bookman 149 acres of land for $487 dollars on February 11, 1831. This land was part of a 150 acre tract that was originally granted to Nicholas Wirick, and part of a 300 acre tract of land Christian Entzminger was granted on February 21, 1772. This land was on Crooked Run Creek and bound on the north by the land of "Stephen Grey" and the old John Bell place; east of the lands of Daniel Brown & Jacob Wirick; east of the land of Jacob Oscar Bookman. Daniel Scott & Stephen Gray (1793-1842) witnessed the sale of this land. NOTE: Stephen Gray is buried near Crooked Run Creek.
James McCants and his wife, Mary Turnipseed-McCants, sold Jacob Oscar Bookman (1800 -1883) 35 acres of land for $422 dollars in 1831. This land was part of 224 acres of land that was originally granted to William McGraw, May 7, 1787; and part of 200 acres that was originally granted Stephen Eleazer on May 21, 1722.
These 35 acres were part of a tract of 75 acres inherited by Mary Turnipseed-McCants from the estate of her father, Bartholomew (Beat) Turnipseed (A.K.A.-Beat Rebsamen) (1720-1782). The road from John Bell's Mill ran across the 75 acre tract. John Chappell owned the land to the west and southwest of this larger tract along side of the road.
On June 30, 1832, Samuel Alston, deputy surveyor, surveyed a pie shaped piece of land for Jacob Oscar Bookman that was on Crooked Run Creek. This land had been granted to Jacob Oscar Bookman from the State of South Carolina and was bound on the south by that of Jacob Wirick. It was bound by land of Samuel Alston on the west and Jacob Wirick on the north. Note: General William T.Sherman's troops crossed the Broad River at "ALSTON" and entered Fairfield District. This area is south of Parr Shoals Dam, South Carolina.
Samuel Bookman, Sr. (1766 -1837) (Lexington District) sold his son Jacob Oscar Bookman (1800 -1883) (Fairfield District) 367 acres of land on-or-near Crooked Run Creek. This transaction took place on December 17, 1833. James Mann had been granted land on June 23, 1774 and this was a part of this land; part was out of 113 acres granted Benoni Holley on April 6, 1794; part was out of 54 acres granted Benoni Holley on May 5, 1794.
Fairfield District sold Jacob Oscar Bookman (1800 -1883) 61 acres of land for a sum of $430.50 dollars. This land was made up in part out of 250 acres of land that had been granted Major Michael Leitner, May 15, 1770; part out of 300 acres granted Christian Entzminger on February 21,1772; and the whole of 10 acres granted John S. Simerly on April 3, 1827.
Major Michael Leitner was born in 1699 & died in 1789. He had come to America on September 17, 1732. He married Maria Beard, supposedly a sister of Colonel Jonas Beard. Before the war, he was a Justice of The Peace, Justice of Quorum, and served two terms (1775 to 1781) as member of the Second Provincial Congress from upper Orangeburg District. During the Revolutionary War, he served with George Washington & Philemon Waters. Also, he served in the French and Indian Wars. He died at Parr Shoals, South Carolina, possessing 500 acres of land, 12 Negro slaves and $95,000 dollars in gold. He had one son & five daughters.
His only son, John Christian, died in 1808 and unmarried. John (Rebsamen) Turnipseed sold Jacob Oscar Bookman 384 3/4 acres of land for $2,000 dollars, November 30, 1836. This land was also on Crocked Run Creek and was made up in part of a tract of land sold John Bartholomew Turnipseed by Joshua Durham on November 8, 1802; and part of a tract originally granted John Bell on May 13, 1768, and sold to JohnTurnipseed, by James Owens and his wife, Anne, February 14, 1818. John Carmen & Robert Farbridge witnessed the sale. Elizabeth Turnispeed, wife of John, signed her release.
John Trunipseed was a son of John Bartholomew (Hans Beat Rebsamen) Turnispeed. Hans Beat’s daughter, Elizabeth Turnispeed, married Capt. George Washington Lorick, Sr. of the Irmo, SC, area. He is the great-great-great-grandfather of Robert Franklin Lorick, Sr.
An article that was written in 1935 states William Jefferson Leitner (1869-1948) bought the John B. Bookman (1797-1824) estate which was known as "Bookman's Springs." The name was changed to "Leitner's Grove." William Jefferson (Willie) Leitner (1869-1948) was a son of John Daniel Leitner (1841-1911) of Cedar Creek and lived on very a large plantation.
On August 8, 1935, the annual meeting of the Fairfield Sheep Club was held at Leitner's Grove. Hash & barbecue was served in abundance. After dinner, Mr.Snelling & The Honorable Eisenhower talked about dogs, and taxes-on-dogs, and the sentiment of the crowed was that dogs should be returned at ten dollars per head for taxation and Mr. Eisenhower promised to have an act passed making it compulsory. Of course at the next meeting of the Equalization Board there will be thousands of dogs returned. "As big a fool as I is", I know how that will work.
The Leitners now own the Jacob B. Bookman's Estate & the spring referred to above furnished water for the great "Bookman Mansion" as well as for the Negro quarters near the spring. The live stock was watered at the nearby Crooked Run Creek.
John B. Bookman (1797 -1824) had two fine mills where he grounded corn, wheat, ginned cotton and sawed lumber - all ran by creek water. John B.Bookman was a great builder. He had (3) slaves who were good carpenters. Their names were Dick, Sye, and Jim. He built many churches and residences including Monticello Church; Long Run Church parsonage; and his own house, which burned several years before 1935 and was said to be equal to any in the State of S.C.
John B. Bookman (1797 -1824) was an elder in the Presbyterian Church and was a power in his community in his days of prosperity. He died poor and is buried north of Crooked Run Creek near where one of his mills once stood. On March 30, 1992, Robert Franklin Lorick, Sr. & John Wesley Leitner (3rd cousins) tried to find his grave but were not successful. The grave of Stephen Gray (March 11, 1793-January 30, 1842) was found. The Bookman family failed to erected a grave marker at his grave or it got destroyed over time. NOTE: John Leitner now lives in Fargo, North Dakota.
The Census of 1850 listed Elizabeth Gray, 61-years-old, living with David Bookman, #1 (1818-1868) on the Bookman Plantation in Lexington District. She was born in 1789 and died in 1860. She is believed to be a widow of Stephen Gray of Fairfield District. Elizabeth Gray could be buried at Bookman Cemetery, but her grave has not been found.
Thomas T. Bookman (1802-1855) did not migrate to Texas with his mother and brothers. He also stayed in Lexington District and married Sarah S. (maiden name unknown) Bookman. He was a millwright owner and operated a gristmill, on the Broad River, north of the Bookman Island. On May 2, 1993, Owens Lowman and Robert F. Lorick, Sr. found the old mill site of Thomas T. Bookman (1802 -1855). It was in a very heavily wooded area on the banks of the Broad River. The mill house was located, on the river’s edge, near a 50 foot high river bank and on a tributary of Broad River; old mill house timbers and the mill's corners stones could still be seen.
About 2 city blocks north of the mill site and over looking the river, graves of the Kennerly family and early settlers were found. The Kennerly Road near Irmo, South Carolina, was name for this Kennerly family that once lived in the area before 1800.
On April 4, 1996, Robert Lorick and Wayne Saville - writer of The Lorick Plantation Home Cookbook - visited the site of the old Bookman Mill. Wayne had two metal-detector and we located one of the old drive wheels that was used in the mill before it was demolished by the Yankees.
Thomas T. Bookman and his wife, Sarsh (Sallie), - maiden name unknown- had five children: #1. Amanda E. Bookman married (husband unknown); #2. Ann J. Bookman married (husband unknown); #3. Thomas E. Bookman never married; and #4. Samuel William Bookman married Harriet Coogler; #5. one child died as a infant so states Rev. Godfrey Dreher's Journal. Thomas T. Bookman and his wife, Sarah (Sallie), are buried at the Bookman Cemetery and at the foot of his brother, David Bookman, #1. There graves are marked with only a large field rock.
Thomas E. Bookman (1835 - after 1961), son of Thomas T. Bookman (1802 -1855), was a engineer in 1860 and was killed in the Civil War. His twin brother, Samuel William Bookman, also was a Civil War Veteran and operated a cotton & gristmill in Kershaw County. The mill was built in the late 1890s and was in remarkable condition on July 10, 1981. The mill was used to grind corn between two large granite wheels & gin cotton grown in lower Kershaw and upper Richland Counties. It also contained a cotton press, which shaped the fiber into bails. The mill was constructed of pine wood, cast iron and was made by the Atlanta Continental Company. The mill was once located on S.C. HWY 53, less than one mile from the Richland County line.
The cotton and gristmill of Samuel William Bookman was donated to the State Museum by Leonard Price. The machinery and its gearing system, which have sat idle for more than two decades inside a weather-stained building, will be cleaned and stored in a climate-controlled warehouse. Robert F. Lorick, Sr. called the State Museum on June 1, 1992 to check on the location of the mill. I was told, because of space at the museum, the mill was still in storage and not on display at this time. They will show it by request only.
David Bookman (1818-1868) did not migrate to Texas with his mother, Jemima Rainey Bookman and his brothers. He stayed in Lexington District with his wife at the Bookman Plantation. He and his wife are buried within a mile of the plantation at the Bookman Church & Cemetery site. The census of 1850 listed David Bookman, #1 married to Mary Ann Lorick- Rawl-Bookman. The middle name of David Bookman, #1 is believed to be "Franklin", but no proof of this can be found.
Mary Ann Lorick-Rawl-Bookman (1816-1884) was the daughter of Michael & Elizabeth Geiger Lorick, Jr.. Mary Ann was first married to Daniel Rawl and had two children, John Sanders (Born 1839) & Elizabeth (Born 1837) Rawl. The name Rawl, started out Roll...then Rall or Ralls. After Daniel Rawl died in 1843, she married David Bookman, #1 on January 15th 1846, and it is believed the wedding was at the Bookman Church. They had the following children:
#1.Carroll Eugene Bookman married Sallie A. Kibler and they are buried at the Bethlehem Lutheran Church Cemetery, Irmo, SC;
#2.Mildred Bookman married William Washington Lorick (son George Washington & Caroline Elvira Geiger Lorick, Jr.) Mildred and William are buried at the Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Irmo, South Carolina. One son of William Washington & Mildred Bookman Lorick was Madison (Uncle Matty) Washington Lorick. He took the middle names of his father and Madison (Matty) Bookman.
#3.Madison (Matty) Bookman died young buried at the Bookman Cemetery off Koon Road in Richland County. Madison Bookman fell from a wagon while holding a loaded gun, it went off, and he died an agonizing death, on November 6, 1876, at the age of 13 years 11 months and 26 days. This headstone bears this inscription: Farewell Dear Matty, let us dry up our tears and prepare to follow thee for thou art gone we believe to him who says: "SUFFER LITTLE CHILDREN TO COME UNTO ME, AND FOR BID THEM NOT"
#4.Alice R.Bookman never married and died of tuberculous and was buried at the Bethlehem Lutheran Church Cemetery, Irmo, South Carolina; #5.Caroline Bookman married Jacob Haltiwanger and was buried at the Bookman Cemetery.
The census of 1850 indicated that David Bookman, #1 resided in the vicinity of the Broad River with a prosperous plantation know for years as the "Old Place". His holdings as well as the family's connection with other planters of the area, Loricks, Rawl, Geigers, Kiblers would place his family in the upper social strata of Lexington District in 1850, enabling the family to build and maintain a large plantation home.
It is impossible to know what the Bookman Plantation home structure looked like in 1850. In 1849, the farm consisted of 300 improved acres; 400 unimproved and owned 24 slaves. Cash value of the plantation was listed at five thousand dollars. Livestock consisted of 3 horses; 4 mules; 8 milk cows; 30 beef cattle; 4 sheep and 30 head of hogs. In 1849, the farm produced 80 bushels of wheat; 20,000 bushels of corn; 400 bushels of oats; 10 bails of cotton; 15 bushels of peas. The farm also produced twenty dollars worth of homemade manufactures, and slaughtered two hundred fifteen dollars worth of meat.
On April 25th 1855, Sarah Bookman, wife of Thomas T. Bookman (1802 -1855) now deceased, in consideration of One dollar did mortgage six of her Negro slaves to David & Jacob Oscar Bookman (1800 -1883), Administrators of the Estate of Thomas T. Bookman (1802 -1855). Their names were as follows: Martha about 25-years-old and her five children; Wesley about 5-years-old; Gina about 4-years-old; Ellen about 2-years-old; John about 10-years-old; Billy about 8-years-old.
Prior to the Civil War the Bookman Plantation was in the zenith of its glory. The Negro slaves, singing and laughing in the fields, free from all care and responsibility, and, like their owner, a happy, contented people surrounded by peace and plenty - it was an ideal pastoral life. After the Civil War and freeing of the Negro slaves, many of slaves the took-up their master's surname (Bookman). As of this day, "BLACK" Bookmans can be found living in-and-around Columbia. It is believed that their ancestors may have lived on the "WHITE" Bookman’s Plantation. The last Bookmans to live at the Bookman Plantation was Carroll Eugene Bookman and his son, Hugh Carroll Bookman. Hugh lived there from February 6, 1882 to February 20, 1947. Carroll lived there from July 14, 1846 to January 13, 1923. The land was sold to Charles Griner, father of Jean Griner Slice and Charlene Griner Meetze.
Mrs. Colie E. (Jean Griner) Slice, Jr. the current owner of the old Bookman land, took me to the grave of Samuel Bookman, Sr. (1766 -1837) on June 15, 1991. Jean's sister, Mrs. Calvin K. (Charlene Griner) Meetze, told me about the grave site while at a meeting for the Dutch Fork Preservation Society on June 11th. I was very excited about discovering this grave site of my great-great-great-grandfather, Samuel Bookman, Sr. (1766 -1837) and family. They have given me permission to clean and maintain the grave of Samuel Bookman, Sr. (1766 -1837) & the three children. At first, the grave site was in very much disarray, but recent work has made it much easier to find. More work will be completed at the grave site over the next few years so others can be proud of their Bookman heritage.