Greenville County, Marriage Annoucements
South Carolina Genealogy Trails


Misc. Marriage Announcements

George C. Bell of Terrel co, GA to Miss Mattie P., daughter of Mr. Perry Duncan of Dougherty co, GA, formerly of Greenville District, S.C.; by Rev. Henry D. Moore on March 20("Southern Christian Advocate" 1867-78, contributed by Marla Snow)

Peter Ingraham of southwest GA to Miss Evadna DeCamps of Greenville, S.C. by Rev. A. B. Stephens, on June 11, 1868 at the Methodist Church in Greenville, S.C. ("Southern Christian Advocate" 1868-78,contributed by Marla Snow)

Green-Roberts
By Rev. J. Thos. Pate, D.D., at the Buncombe Street parsonage, Greenville, S.C., May 13, 1894, Mr. J. R. Green and Miss Avie Emma Roberts, both of Greenville County. [ The Southern Christian Advocate, April 27, 1893]

MARRIAGE.
Married on the 20th instant at the residence of Mr. Peter Mellett, Wedgefield, S. C., by the Rev. T. H Edwards, W. Marion Cain, of Wedgefield, to Emma Olive Mellett, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Silas Mellett, of this city. 
[The Watchman and Southron, Nov. 23, 1898]


1941 Marriage Announcements
(from Spartanburg Herald Journal, transcribed by Andrew Staton)

Mrs. Charles Dee Kellett announces the marriage of her daughter, Margaret Virginia to Mr. Harold William McClintock on Saturday, July 5, 1941, Greenville SC. The marriage of Miss Kellett and Mr. McClintock was solemnized Saturday afternoon at 5 o’clock at the home of the officiating minister, the Rev. C. T. Squires. The bride was attractively attired in a navy sheer dress with which she used white accessories and a shoulder corsage of white orchids. Mrs. McClintock is the daughter of Mrs. Gertrude Willis Kellett and the late Charles Dee Kellett. She received her education at Greenville High School and Draughton’s business college. Prior to her marriage she was in the employ of Greenville Production Credit association. Mr. McClintock is the son of Mr. and Mrs. David Martin McClintock of Ora. He was graduated from Wofford College in the class of 1938 and is a member of the Psi Chapter of Delta Sigma Phi fraternity. Since his graduation he has been employed in the Palmetto bank of Laurens. After their wedding trip Mr. and Mrs. McClintock will make their home in Ora. (Herald Journal, July 7, 1941)

 

Mr. and Mrs. James Miller Duncan announce the engagement of their daughter, Marion Lucille, to Mr. Andrew Boyce Carson, Jr., of Greenville, the wedding to take place on the ninth of August. (Herald Journal, July 13, 1941)

 

Miss Abercrombie and Mr. Grimball Wed in Greenville
Greenville, Aug. 4 – The wedding of Miss Mildred Leake Abercrombie, of this city, and Mr. Thomas Paul Grimball Jr., of John’s Island and York, Pa., took place yesterday afternoon at 5 o’clock at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Abercrombie, 205 Henrietta street, with the Rev. Dr. William L. Ball, pastor of the Earle Street Baptist church, officiating. The home was decorated with baskets of white gladioli and gypsophila and tall candelabra. Mrs. John Gordon Dawson, pianist, of Charlotte, rendered the wedding music which included the traditional wedding marches and “Intermezzo” (Provost) which was played during the ceremony. Miss Emily Fay Ashley of Anderson, cousin of the bride, lighted the candles. The bride’s only attendant was Miss Sara Kibler Philhower, of Gastonia, NC. She was a gown of beige mousseline de sole with insertions of Alencon lace on the skirt and bishop sleeves. She carried a bouquet of Rubrum lilies. Mr. Isaac Hobert Grimball, Jr., of John’s Island and Spartanburg, was his cousin’s best man. A reception was held immediately after the ceremony for wedding guests. A two-tiered bride’s cake centered the bride’s table. During the evening, Mr. and Mrs. Grimball left for a wedding trip through the northeastern states after which they will reside at 1514 First Avenue, York. Mrs. Grimball is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Abercrombie of Greenville. She attended Furman University. Mr. Grimball, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Paul Grimball of Johns Island, was graduated from Clemson College where he received his degree in civil engineering. He is employed as an ordinance ? for the United States Government in York. (Herald Journal, August 5, 1941, Page 3)

 

Mr. and Mrs. Harwood Beebe have announced the engagement of their daughter, Mary DuPre, to Lieut. Arthur Lewis Woodside, son of Mrs. A. L. Woodside of Greenville. The wedding will take place October 18. (Herald Journal, September 7, 1941, Page 13)

 

Simpsonville, Sept. 6 – Mr. and Mrs. William Franklin Gresham announce the marriage of their daughter, Helen Hunter to Lieut. Edwin Ariail Kinard, of Orlando, Fla., and Charlotte, NC, Wednesday, Sept. 3. (Herald Journal, September 7, 1941, Page 13)

 

Greer, Sept. 6 – Miss Ruby Lee Davidson and Roburn Jones, both of Greer, were married Aug. 29 at the home of the officiating minister, the Rev. Palmer Leonard of South Main Street, Greer. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jack Davidson of Greer. The groom is affiliated with the Victor-Monaghan company. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Howard A. Jones of Greer. The couple are making their home on Poinsett street, Greer. (Herald Journal, September 7, 1941, Page 13)

Woodruff, Sept. 11 – Miss Katheryn Fox of Greenville and Willie Albert Nelson were married Sunday evening at the home of the officiating minister, the Rev. H. L. Ferguson, pastor of the Northside Baptist Church. A few friends and relatives of the couple attended the ceremony. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Fox of Greenville and is a graduate of the American Spinning school there. Mr. Nelson, the son of Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Nelson of Woodruff received his education in the Woodruff schools and is now employed at Brandon Mill. Mr. and Mrs. Nelson will reside at 2 Beason street, Brandon, upon their return from their wedding trip. (Herald Journal, September 12, 1941, Page 15)

 

Greenville, Sept. 15 – Of prominence in society of several states is the marriage of Miss Patricia Ann Nelson of Jackson, Miss., formerly of Houston, Tex., who became the bride of Lieut. Wilton Haynsworth Earle, Jr., native Greenvillian, on Saturday morning, September 13. The nuptial ceremony took place in Jackson, Miss., at half after 9 o’clock at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Gordon Nelson. Monsignor Patrick J. O’Reilly of St. Peter’s Catholic church, officiating in the service. The vows were exchanged before the mantel in the living room. Decorations on the improvised altar were of white gladioli and greenery. The bride’s sister, Miss Pauline Nelson, was her only attendant. She wore a dress of dark blue sheer with matching turban and a corsage of gardenias. The bride was given in marriage by her father, while the bridegroom had as his best man his brother, Ensign Thomas Baylis Earle, U. S. N., formerly of Greenville. White satin fashioned the bride’s gown, made with bodice of Brussel’s lace. The finger-tip veil of illusion with orange blossoms, worn by the bride, was that of the bridegroom’s mother, used when she was married in Greenville. A streamer bouquet of roses completed the bridal costume. A wedding breakfast was held immediately after the ceremony, after which Lieutenant Earle and his bride left for a honeymoon in Biloxi. The bride changed from her wedding gown to a modish tailored suit of beige gabardine, with which she used accessories of brown. The couple will reside in Selma, Ala., where Lieutenant Earle is located with the United States army air corps. (Herald Journal, September 16, 1941, Page 5)

Miss Smith and Mr. Jackson Are Married in Greenville
A marriage of much interest in the Carolinas was that of Miss Clara Melissa Smith and Mr. Liphus Brownlow Jackson which took place on Saturday evening at 8:30 o’clock at the home of Mr. and Mrs. D. Carl Smith on Coolidge Avenue in Greenville. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Thomas Smith of Wellford and is a teacher in the Greenville city schools. Mr. Jackson is the son of the late Liphus Brownlow Jackson and Mrs. A. D. Jones of Campobello. He is now connected with the Spartanburg water works. The nuptial vows were spoken in the presence of relatives and a few close friends with Rev. Tom Neeley, pastor of the bride, officiating at the ring ceremony. Those present for the wedding were: Mr. and Mrs. John B. Mabry of Campobello and Mr. and Mrs. W. B. Jackson of Greenville, Miss Eunice Jackson of Tryon, NC, Misses Ruby Smith, Jessie Mae Smith, Alma and Dorothy Sherbert of Greer, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Neeley of Holly Springs, Misses Willey Gentry and Hazel Jones, and Mrs. J. E. Sitton of Greenville. (Herald Journal, December 24, 1941, Page 5)

1942 Marriage Announcements
(from Spartanburg Herald Journal, transcribed by Andrew Staton)

Miss Annele Capers Donkle and Frederick Lewis Huffman were united in marriage here Saturday evening at Christ Episcopal Church, Rev. Robert Theodore Phillips officiated at 7:30 o’clock in the presence of a large gathering of friends and relatives. The altar was banked with a simple, but beautiful arrangement of calla lilies. The church choir, with Mrs. Dudley Withers at the organ, presented the wedding music. Numbers included At Dawning, Cadman; Schubert’s Serenade; Because, d’Hardelot; Listz’s Liberstraum, Clare de Lune, Debussey; Subers’s Ave Maria and Tales from the Vienna Woods by Strauss. Groomsmen were Robert Eugene Wells, Dr. Leo Smith, Dr. Joseph I. Converse and Isaac Langston Donkle, Jr. Judson Hurt attended Mr. Huffman as best man. Miss Kathleen Donkle was her sister’s maid-of-honor. She wore a gown of turquoise taffeta fashioned with deep yoke of flesh marquisette outlined with a flat wreath of turquoise taffeta leaves. The long waist line was made very full. Her bouquet was of talisman roses, bronze snapdragons and blue narcissus tied with gold ribbon. Mrs. Robert Eugene Wells, another sister, was matron-of-honor. Bridesmaids were Miss Elizabeth Mahon, Mrs. Joseph I. Converse and Mrs. Jack Knox Wherry. They wore gowns in gold taffeta made like that of the maid-of-honor and carried like bouquets tied with turqouis ribbon. All attendants wore “half-hats” of flowers like their bouquets with turquoise veils. The bride entered with her father, Isaac Langston Donkle by whom she was given in marriage. Her wedding gown was of ivory velvet made along simple lines. Her veil of illusion was caught to her hair with a cap of cream gardenias and the shower bouquet was of cream gardenias. The bride’s mother wore a dress of dragonfly blue crepe with matching flower hat and her corsage was of pale pink camellias. Following the ceremony, the bride’s parents entertained at a reception at their home.  In the receiving line in addition to the wedding party were the bride’s parents and the bridegroom’s father, John I. Huffman. Receiving at the door were Mr. and Mrs. John W. Arrington, Jr. and Mr. and Mrs. David Elwool McCuen. In the living room were Mr. and Mrs. John Bateman and Miss Lois Cody and in the hall, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas C. Nash. Dr. and Mrs. Charles O. Bates, Mrs. Henry Fairchild, Mrs. George Wrigley and Mrs. Noel Parks were in the dining room. The bride’s table was centered with a heart-shaped tiered cake in blush pink and flanking this were (unreadable), holding blush pink tapers. C… bouquets were tied to the candelabra and scattered on the table. Early spring flowers were used throughout the house. Serving punch in the living room were Mr. and Mrs. Dixon Pearce and Mr. and Mrs. L. M. Wiseard, presiding in the gift room were Mrs. Nettie Thomas Perry and Miss Frances Thomas. In the upstairs living room were Mr. and Mrs. James T. Greene, Dr. and Mrs. J. D. Parker and Mr. and Mrs. Gordon McCabe. Others assisting were Mrs. William Jackson Welborn, Mrs. Eugene W. Bingham, Mrs. Kilgore Webb and Mrs. Alfred Burgess. Bidding the guests goodbye were Mrs. Heyward Talley, Miss Marie Donkle, of Spartanburg, Mr. and Mrs. George Stephenson and Mr. and Mrs. Dillwyn Parks. Mrs. Huffman is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. I. L. Donkle of this city and received her A. B. degree from Converse college in Spartanburg. She is a member of the Spinsters club and of Junior Charities. Mr. Huffman, son of Mr. and Mrs. John I. Huffman, received his education at McGuires Preparatory School, Hampton Sidney College and William and Mary College. He is a member of Kappa Sigma fraternity, the Rotary Club and the Junior Chamber of Commerce in Charlotte. He and his bride will reside in Charlotte where he holds the position of secretary of the Community Chest, a position he recently held there. (Greenville News AND Herald Journal, January 27, 1942)



Back to Greenville County, South Carolina Genealogy Trails