Newberry County, South Carolina

Lewis A. Griffith, M.D.
THOUGH   now   retired   from   active   practice Doctor Griffith for twenty years was one of the ablest physicians and surgeons of Columbia and one of the founders of the Columbia Hospital.   As a youthful  surgeon he was with the American Army of Occupation in the Philippines for nearly a year.    Doctor Griffith  is a former mayor of Columbia and one of the leading business men and   citizens.

His father is Col. David Jefferson Griffith, who for many years, until he retired in 1918, was superintendent of the South Carolina Penitentiary. Colonel Griffith was born in Newberry County December 31, 1844, of English and Scotch-Irish ancestry, a son of Allen and Sarah (Banks) Griffith. His people were among the early settlers of Lexington and Newberry counties. Colonel Griffith was educated in Lexington County, and at the outbreak of the war between the states went into the Confederate army and served as captain in Company C, First South Carolina Regiment. He was in the battles of Chickamauga, Knoxville, Bean Station, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, and Gettysburg. A sword consigned to him by a dying Federal officer from the Gettysburg field Colonel Griffith some years ago presented to the local chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy. After the surrender of Johnston's army at Greensboro, Colonel Griffith returned home and resumed civil life as a farmer. While devoted to the management of his farm, he was frequently called to positions of honor and trust. He represented Lexington County several times in the State Senate, and in 1897 was voted by the readers of the Columbia State as the most popular legislator. He succeeded W. A. Neal as superintendent of the penitentiary, and was several times re-elected to that office. July 27, 1865, Colonel Griffith married Sarah A. Lewie, daughter of Samuel Lewie  of   Lexington.

Dr. Lewie A. Griffith was born May 1, 1866, while his parents lived in Lexington County. He acquired a good education, and graduated with the class of 1887 from the Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville. At the outbreak of the Spanish-American war he volunteered in the Medical Corps, and was made assistant surgeon of the Second South Carolina Regiment. Later in 1899 he was appointed assistant surgeon, with the rank of 1st lieutenant in the Forty-second United States Volunteers for service in the Philippines. He went to those islands in December, and remained on duty for about a year, Seeing much of the fighting during the insurrection in the Philippines.

After his return from the Far East Doctor Griffith located at Columbia and engaged in the active practice of his profession, which he continued nearly twenty years. In 1918 he gave up his professional practice in order to give his entire time to his growing business, the Union Station Drug Company, on South Main Street, opposite the Union Station., a business that has been under his ownership for several years. It is one of the most successful and profitable retail stores in Columbia.

Doctor Griffith is a former president of the Columbia Medical Society. As one of the founders of the Columbia Hospital he served on the executive committee, and was also president of the Board of Health of Columbia. In 1914 he was elected mayor of Columbia, being head of the commission government of the city for four years, until 1918. Thus to his professional career he has added the distinctions of success in business and efficiency as a public  official.
Doctor Griffith married Miss Ruth B. Muller, of Sandy Run, Lexington County. They have three sons and one daughter: Dr. L. M. Griffith, David J., Lewie Allen and Mary Antoinette. The daughter is a graduate of the Columbia High School and of Columbia College.

Both the older sons were in the service of their Government during the World war. Dr. L. M. Griffith, a graduate of the University of South Carolina and of Johns Hopkins University, during the war had charge of the eye, ear, nose and throat work at the American Hospital at Brest, France, holding the rank of captain in the Medical Corps.

David J. Griffith is at present in the motor truck transport service of the United States Army at Camp Lee, Virginia. He volunteered at the very outbreak of the war with Germany, becoming a member of Motor Truck Company 5, First Corps. Artillery Park. He was with that organization in France but later was transferred to a machine gun company of the Three Hundred and Eighth Infantry, Seventy-seventh Division. As a machine gun fighter he was in the battles of the great offensive beginning in July, 1918, and ultimately served on all five of the American battle fronts. For conspicuous bravery and gallantry in the Argonne Forest he was awarded the Croix de Guerre.

In fraternal circles Doctor Griffith is an Elk, an Odd Fellow, and past worthy president in the Order of Eagles. [South Carolina, Special Limited Edition, 1920]

Caldwell, James Fitz James, author, lawyer; born at Newberry, S. C., September 19, 1837; son of James John and Nancy Morgan (McMorries) Caldwell; attended school at Columbia, Anderson, Pendleton, South Carolina College, studied law in the University of Berlin, Germany, also in the office of General James Simons, Charleston, S. C., admitted to the bar in January, 1859; practiced law in partnership with Major Suber, 1870-90; has served as director and attorney for the National Bank of Newberry, the Newberry Savings Bank, the National Bank of Greenwood; at one time a trustee of the University of South Carolina; elected chairman of the Newberry County Democratic Executive Committee in 1868, again in 1877; served in the Confederate Army in the First Gregg's Regiment of South Carolina Infantry, and as aide-de-camp to General Samuel McGowan in McGowan's South Carolina Brigade; author of "History of a Brigade of South Carolinians"; married Rebecca Capers Connor, Cokesbury, S. C., September 29, 1875; member of Episcopal Church.  Home, Newberry, S. C.   [Source: Who's Who in South Carolina, 1921, tb Donna Gurr]

Cromer, George Benedict, lawyer; born in Newberry County, S. C., Oct. 3, 1857; son of Thomas H. and P. M. Cromer; A. B., Newberry College, 1877, A. M., 1879, LL. D., Wittenberg, 1901, Muhlenberg, 1901; professor in Newberry College, 1877-81; admitted to bar, Dec., 1881, practiced law until Jan., 1896; president Newberry College, 1896-1904; resumed law practice, 1904; married Caro J. Motte, Newberry, S. C., Oct. 11, 1883 (died 1888); married second time Harriet S. Bittle, Salem, Va., Nov. 27, 1890; mayor of Newberry 1886-90.  Member American Academy of Political and Social Science, National Economic League; president Trustees Newberry College; chairman State Board of Charities and Corrections, 1915-10.  Address, Newberry, S. C.  [Source: Who's Who in South Carolina, 1921, tb Donna Gurr]

Crosson, Drayton Margart, surgeon, business man; born at Prosperity, S. C., September 29, 1858; son of John Thomas Pressley and Rosa Catherine (Cook) Crosson; attended the Presperity Academy, Erskine College, South Carolina Medical College, University of Tennessee, from time to time has taken medical courses in Baltimore and New York; president of the Farmers & Merchants Bank, Leesville, S. C., chairman of the Lexington County Cotton Growers' Assn., served a number of years as president of the Lexington County Medical Society, has been active in the State Medical Assn.; has served as chairman of the Lexington County Democratic party; was elected to the State Senate in 1899 to fill an unexpired term which ended in November, 1900, was again elected in 1908 for a term of four years, and was again elected in November, 1920, for a term of four years; while in the Senate, 1908-1912, introduced the first highway bill, advocated a State Highway Department and engineers, and a license on automobiles; volunteered for service with the medical reserve corps; married S. C. Bodie, 1883; member of Masons, K. of P., Odd Fellows, W. O. W., Methodist church.  Home, Leesville, S. C.  [Source: Who's Who in South Carolina, 1921, tb Donna Gurr]

Derrick, Sidney Jacob, college president; born at Little Mountain, S. C., Nov. 10, 1866; son of Jacob and Martha (Kesler) Derrick; attended country schools, Newberry College; B. A. and M. A. degrees from Newberry College; sometime a professor in, and now president of, Newberry College; member of Boards of Education of Lexington and Newberry Counties, State Board of Education, Lutheran Board of Publication; delegate to State Democratic Convention, 1914, and 1920; during World War chairman local board of Newberry County, member Red Cross Exchange Committee; married Mary V. Hiller, Pine Ridge, S. C., December 21, 1898.  Home, Newberry, S. C.  [Source:  Who's Who in South Carolina, 1921, tb Donna Gurr] 
Dominick, Fred. H., Congressman; born at Peaks, Lexington County, S. C., Feb. 20, 1877; son of Jacob L. and Georgianna E. (Minick)  Dominick; educated South Carolina College (now Univ. of S. C.), and Newberry College; admitted to bar, 1898; was law partner of Cole L. Blease, now member firm Dominick & Workman, Newberry, S. C.; delegate, with one exception, to every Democratic State Convention during years 1900-16; member S. C. House of Representatives, 1901-12; served as city attorney, Newberry, S. C., and county attorney, Newberry County, S. C.; Assistant Attorney General of S. C., 1913-16 (resigned); member 65th and 66th Congress (1917-21) 3rd S. C. District; unmarried.  Mason (K. T., Shriner), Odd Fellow, Elk, Red Man.  Lutheran.  Home, Newberry, S. C.  [Source:  Who's Who in South Carolina, 1921, tb Donna Gurr]

James M. Maffett
JAMES M. MAFFETT, cousin of Col. R. C. Maffett, was a son of Robert Maffett. He was born, I think, in the year 1821, or perhaps 1822. He too was a married man and a successful farmer when our troubles began. He was elected Captain of Company H. Holcombe Legion, and was a brave man and good officer. At the election for Sheriff of Newberry County in 1864 he was the choice of the people, but never lived long enough to see home after the election. He died at Lockhart, Miss., in hospital, on his way home to assume the duties of the office. [Annals of Newberry, by John A. Chapman, page 582CAPTAIN ]

Major James Graham was a native of Soutb Carolina, of Scotch descent. He was Sergeant in active service during the war with Great Britain in 1812-15. He served Newberry District in the State Legislature for two terms. He married Mary Fair, daughter of William and Elizabeth Fair. By this union four children were born to him, two sons and two daughters. His son William F. Graham, who was the first Superintendent of the State Military Academy, died in Charleston in thespring of 1844. His other son, Dr. DeWitt C. Graham, read medicine, and after his graduation practiced his profession in Mississippi for a number of years. He returned to Newberry about a year before his death. He died in the fall of 1838, never having practiced medicine in his native State. The daughters of Major Graham were Harriet, who married Colonel John W. Summers, the builder of the Greenville and Columbia Railroad, and Laura P., who married Dr. David E. Ewart, a notice of whose life and services appears elsewhere in this book. Mrs. Summers left no children. Mrs. Ewart is blest with a son and daughter, William F. and Mrs. Katie Bowman, both living in Newberry. [Annals of Newberry, by John A. Chapman, page 586]

Dr. Jacob F. Gilliam and his wife, Mary Massey, were residents of Newberry District. They had three children to survive them: William, Clement, Drucilla Ann and Pettis Wales. Mary Massey was the only child of her parents. Her mother was a Miss Duncan and married Mr. Massey. They were both Virginians. Dr. Gilliam's mother was Miss Sims. He died in his forty-eighth year; his wife died soon afterwards in her forty-second year. Their daughter, Drucilla Ann, married James B. Wilson, the only brother of six sisters. Their residence, "Ingleside," was six miles northeast of the town of Newberry. They had six children born unto them, three daughters and three sons. They were a most lovely, lovable and cultured family. In seven years the whole family died, father, mother and six children, from August" 1857, to October, 1864. The oldest was nineteen years old. The names of the children were Mary Rosalie; Sarah Caroline (after her aunt, Mrs. Wilson Caldwell,); William Clement (named for his uncle), killed on the 13th of October, 1864, in Virginia; Gilliam Sims, one of General Ripley's couriers, who died of yellow fever; Josephine Caldwell and Pettus Wales. They all sleep side by side in Tranquil Cemetery, not far from the old homestead, there to await the first resurrection. [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 576-77]

Jacob Folk came to this country from Germany in 1740 or 1741, and settled at Old Granby, three miles below Columbia. He was a tanner by trade, and lived with a man by the name of Cary in partnership for five years. When his term of partnership was up he came to the place at Pomaria and married the daughter of Adam F. Epting, settled there, and commenced the tanning business on his own account. There were born to him seven children, four sons and three daughters. The eldest died in tbe Revolutionary war; the second son was killed by a tree falling on him; the third son, John Folk, lived at Pomaria until his death in 1844. Jacob Folk died on the 20th of June, 1774, and lies buried at the old Folk burying ground. From him have sprung numerous and honorable descendants: John Adam, Henry Middleton, W. H. Folk, a lawyer in good practice at Edgefield; Edward H. Folk, also a lawyer at Edgefield; Captain H. H. Folk, of Newberry; David Folk, of Texas; L. E. Folk, of Newberry; Dr. J. W. Folk, Annandale, Georgetown County; Charley Folk, of Lexington; Christian J. Folk, of BarnwelJ, and Jacob Folk,w'ho moved to Colleton County in the year 1808, and there left a large family, and J. Wesley Folk, of Pomaria, whose son, Dr. L. B. Folk, is a practicing physician in Columbia, S. C. No doubt there are many others descendpd from Jacob Folk, whose names I have not been able to learn. [Annals of Newberry, by John A. Chapman, page 590]

Jacob Hunt
My old friend Jacob Hunt was a native, I think, of North Carolina; came to Newberry in his youth; married a daughter of Walter Herbert, one of the Quakers of Bush River. Mr. Hunt was a hatter by trade. Some hats of his make were worn by myseJf when I was a boy. He lived for many year at Newberry, or rather near Newberry, at the place now owned by J. A. Crotwell. He was a good neighbor, citizen and a true friend. One of his son, I. F., became Colonel of a South Carolina Volunteer Regiment during the war of Seces­ sion - now at Greenville, S. C. One, W. H., familiarly known as Herbert, lives at Newberry. A grandson, Walter H., is a successful lawyer in practice at Newberry. One other son, J. H., a successful business man, now in New York City, attained the rank of Major during the war and did faithful service to the Confederacy. Another grandson, I. Hamilton, is now in bnsiness in Atlanta, Georgia. [Annals of Newberry, by John A. Chapman, page 604-5]

Colonel Benjamin Z. Herndon
Colonel B. Z. Herndon, a grandson of Col. Benjamin Herndon, of the Revolutionary War, once lived on Little River in Newberry County, on a place now owned by the family of Henry Burton, late deceased; Col. Benjamin Herndon fought at the battle of the King's Mountain. And Mrs. John S. Fair, a decendant of his, now of the town of Newberry, has in her possession a pair of silver spurs that were presented to him for his gallantry in battle. He was once captured by Bloody Bill Cunningham and was about to suffer an ignominious death when he was fortunately rescued by his men. His son Stephen Herndon was born and lived in Newberry. And Newberry gives a hearty welcome to Mrs. John S. Fair and Mrs. Lambert W. Jones, two fair and lovely descendants of Colonel Herndon of the Revolution. [Annals of Newberry, page 579-80]

William H. Harrington
Dr. William H. Harrington was a native of Newberry County and was born at Newberry Village on the 17th of Nowmber, 1816. He received a good education, read medicine and graduated from the Medical College Of Charleston, settled at Newberry and on the 18th of November, 1841, married Miss Sarah S. O'Neall, daughter of Hon. J. B. O'Neall. After her death, which occurred in August, 1857, he married Mrs. Hollingsworth, nee Griffin, in December, 1858. While his home was at Newberry he rep­ resented the county in the Legislature for two years. He left Newberry in 1865 and removed to Mississippi, where he died at his home in Crawfordville. His remains have been brought to Newberry and interred in the Calmes Cemetery, where his maternal grandparents, his own parents and many more of his kindred are sleeping. He was the father of Mrs. Dr. Sampson Pope, the late Mrs. J. Wistar Gary, and the late Young John Harrington, and of Mrs. Thomas J. Lipscomb, of Columbia, S. C. He leaves a son, Dr. Belton Harrington, and a daughter, Mrs. Kier, in Mississippi, and a son, Hugh O'Neall Harrington, in Texas. His widowed sister, Mrs. Nancy Moon, still lives at Newberry. He was a good man. [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 606]

John C. Simpkins
Lieutnant colonel John C. Simpkins, whose name appears on our monument as one of the fallen soldiers of Newberry, was a son of Honorable Eldred Simkins, long a member of Congress from Edgefield District" and was born at Edgefield Court House on the 11 th day of March, 1827. He attended school at Edgefield and at Greenwood, South Carolina. He was not a graduate of any college or university; in fact, never attended either. But instead, although only about eighteen years of age at the commencement of the Mexican war, he volunteered as a private in Captain Brooks' Company D -- of the Palmetto Regiment. During the cam­ paign he was transferred to the Twelfth United States Regular Infantry, and as Captain in that Regiment distinguished himself at the battle of Churubusco, where he received two wounds. He was recommended to the Government for a brevet "for gallant and meritorious conduct." At the close of the Mexican war he returned to civil life - that of a planter. In 1830 be married Rosalie, daughter of Judge Wardlaw, of AbbevilIe, and continued to live in Edgefield District until about a year before the war between the States, when he bought from the Chappells a plantation ia Newberry District on the Saluda River about a mile above Chappell's Depot. This plantation is part of what is known as Maxwell's Neck. As soon as the State seceded and war was inevitable, be was amongst the first to offer his services to Governor Pickens. He was immediately appointed Captain in the First South Carolina Regular Infantry. His Regiment was employed largely as Artillery. As Commander of Battery Bee on Sullivan's Island he did good service in the repulse of the ironclads in the naval attack on Charleston, April 7th, 1863, when the Keokuk was sunk. By successive promotions he became Lieutenant Colonel of his Regiment. On the 10th of July, 1863, be, with tbree companies of the Regiment, Captains Haskell, Adams and Tatum, was ordered to Battery Wagner, our advanced post on Morris Island. Here he acted as Chief of Artillery, and he and his devoted little band without rest or sleep stood under a terrific bombardment until the night of July 18th, 1863, when the enemy in overwhelming numbers landed and assaulted the works.. They were, however, repulsed with heavy loss. In that night assault, at about 9 o'clock, Col. Simkins fell pierced through the right lung by a minnie ball. Captains Haskell and Tatum were also killed during that engagement and Catptain Adams severely wounded. Colonel Simkins was thirty-six years old at the time of bis death, and left a widow, four sons and, a daughter surviving him. In his official relations he was strict but just. A born soldier, he was devoted to his profession. Although a good disciplinarian, he was respected and beloved by bis comrades. He was very modest and retiring but warm-hearted, frank and true. His purity of heart was shown in bis exceeding fondness for children whose company he would seek. [Annals of Newberry, by John A. Chapman, page 582-83]

John Glenn
Brigaider General John Glenn , son of Dr. George Glenn, and brother to my old friend Dr. George W. Glenn, a native of Newberry County, though a citizen of Arkansas when the war began, rose to the rank of Brigadier-General in the Army of the Confederate State. He was for a time a Conductor on the Greenville and Columbia Railroad after the war. I had no personal acquaintance with him, but I have no doubt that he was a brave and gallant officer. Being a native of Newberry and a soldier of the Confederacy, he deserves a place here. Where he is now, whether living or dead, I do not know. [Annals of Newberry, by John A. Chapman, page 583-84]

The Kibler Family
As far as I am able to trace the history of this family, it starts with two brothers, John Kibler and Michael, who were living in the lower part of Newberry County; that is, below where the Court House now is. They were members of that great Teutonic family which has done so much to infuse into the other peoples of the world a spirit of sturdy independence and love of liberty.
The father of these brothers was one of the first settlers of the county. John Kibler, the elder of the brothers, married Nancy Farr, by whom he became the father of six sons and three daughters. The sons were: John, Jacob, Andrew, Daniel, William. and Levi; the daughters, Polly, Catherine and Ann.
Of these, John married the daughter of Col. John Summer (note at bottom of page states "should be Major Wm. Summer, brother of Col. Jno. Adam Summer"); Jacob married Miss Mary Stack; Andrew and Daniel died unmarried. Levi married Miss Folk, and is still living; has one son, J. D. A. Kibler, living, who also is married and has children grown up.
Of the daughters, Polly married Adam Bedenbaugh, and has two sons, Jacob and Andrew, and two daughters, one of whom married Jacob Singley. Catherine married John Fellers. She and her husband are both dead, but left one son and two daughters, all living. The son John C. lives in Edgefield. One daughter married Captain WIlliam Sligh, who is now (1892) on duty in Columbia, S. C. The other daughter married Jerry Wyse, of Edgefield. She is left a widow. Ann married Ivy Busby, and is dead, leaving no children.
Michael Kibler, the other of the original two brothers, married, and had a family of five sons and five daughters. I am not informed as to the name of the lady he married. He and his wife both lived to a good old age, though she lived in widowhood about twenty years after his death. He died about 1831, and she in 1851. Their sons were Michael, John, David, Adam and Jacob. The names of the daughters I am not able to give. This Michael is said, and it is generally believed in that section of the county, to have had and used the first cotton gin ever employed in the County of Newberry.
Of the sons, Michael. married Miss Koon; John, a Miss Eichelberger; David married three times, first, a Miss Feners, next a Miss Suber, his last wife being Miss Hair. David was the father of nine children, five sons and four daughters, all of whom are dead except three, Drayton (D. W. T.), and Catherine and Amos. The names of the other sons were Godfrey, Middleton and Calvin. Adam married three times, Misses Fellers, Maffet and Kinard. His last wife is still living, a pleasant, genial, comely, good-looking lady. Jacob married Miss Frances Chapman, daughter of Samuel Chapman, Esq. She brought him three sons and three daughters, all of whom are living in the town of Newberry - William, Arthur, John, Elizabeth, Alice and Sarah - none yet married.
Of the daughters of the original Michael Kibler, the names of whom I am unable to give, one married Jacob Sligh, brother of that good old man, Philip Sligh. These left one daughter, who married Lang Ruff. She is still living, but a widow. One married George Dickert; two became the wives of David Koon. There were two sons of David Koon, both of whom died in the service of the Confederate States. One daughter married John Barre. They left one daughter, who married and died, leaving one child. [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 625-26]

R. C. Maffett
LIEUTENANT-COLONEL R. C. MAFFETT, son of James Maffett, was born in Newberry County. My acquaintance with Colonel Maffett was quite limited. I only knew him to be a sterling, upright and true man; a farmer, living a few miles below the Court House when the war broke out. He had never sought nor desired any office in the gift of the people, preferring the calm, domestic home life to all other. But when the difficulties between the States culminated in Secession and war he was not slow to offer his services, nor was he backward in doing his best for the success of the cause he espoused. He was elected Captain of Company C, Third Regiment South Carolina Volunteers; was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and serving in that capacity when he had the misfortune to be made prisoner. He was immured in the Union Prison at Fort Delaware, where he died. At the time of his death he was a young man in the very prime of life between thirty and forty years of age. He left a young widow and child to deplore his loss. The following note was written by him to a lady who was a witness to his capture and who kindy complied with the request therein contained:

"Lieutenant-Colonel R C. Maffett, Address Mrs. R. C. Maffett, Newberry C. H, So. Ca. Tell her that I am a prisoner, am well, have been treated very well so far. Gen. Sheridan received and treated me with great civility; that I think we will be exchanged before long; that I will bear my captivity with as much philosophy and resignation as possible; that I was unavoidably captured, being entirely surrounded and overpowered; that she must bear up under our misfor­ tnnes and not become despondent; .that I will write just as soon as we arrive at our destination." No date [Annals of Newberry, by John A. Chapman, page 581-82]

The Martin Family
In writing the history of Edgefleld I found a family of seven brothers named Martin, all brave men, and good and true Whigs. Hoping to be able to connect my old friend, J. Newton Martin, with a family so loyal and true, I inquired of him whether he was able to tell me anything about t.hem, or whether they were connected. He said that so far as he knew there was no connection. He then told me that his grandfather, Patrick Martin, with his wife, who was a Miss Gordon, came from County Antrim, Ireland, about the year 1785. The Blairs, who were their neighbors in Ireland, came over at the same time and settled in the same neighborhood in Newberry County. Patrick Martin's first wife, Miss Gordon, brought him three children: one daughter, who died on the way over and was buried in mid ocean, and two sons, John and Alexander, who settled in Abbeville County. His second wife, Agnes Strait, whom he married in the year 1789, was also from County Antrim. Their first son was born in 1790. William Martin, the father of J. Newton and John B., lived and did business as a merchant at Newberry for many years, where he died. His brother, the father of Mrs. Jane A. Long and Jonathan G. Martin, I never knew. Newton Martin and John were both good soldiers during the war. Patrick Martin died August 24th, 1813; Agnes Martin died February 15th, 1841; John B. Martin died at Newberry, April 18th, 1890, born June 16th, 1839.  [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 616-17]

James McIntosh
James McIntosh, Newberry, S.C., of Scotch descent, was born at Society Hill, Darlington Co., S.C., Feb. 27th, 1838. Educated at the S.C. Col., and at the med. Coll. of the State of S.C., he was graduated M.D. from the latter institution in March, 1861. In June 1865, he established himself at Newberry, engaging in a general practice, but paying especial attention to the treatment of diseases of women and children. He is a member of the S.C. med. Asso., and was president of that body from April, 1874 to April, 1876. Of his published writings may be mentioned: "Dysmenorrhoea: its treatment with Quinine and D?t. Stramonium," Transactions S. C. Med. ass., 1872; "Cerebro-Spinal Meningitis," ibid, 1873; Ergot: its Hypodermic Use in Controlling Hemorrhage," ibid, 1875. In 1861 he enlisted in the 8th S.C. Reg., and served during the summer campaign, taking part in the first battle at Manassas Junction. In Oct., 1861, he was commissioned ass't. surg., Confederate States army, and in this capacity served during the entire war, being assigned to duty in the hosp. at Charlottesville, Va., until 1865, when he was ordered south and charged with the establishment of a hospital at Newberry. He married, Nov. 25th, 1862, Frances Caldwell, daughter of Francis B. Higgins, Esq., of Newberry. ["The Physicians and Surgeons of the United States" pg. 252 by William Biddle Atkinson]

William W. McMorries
DR. Wm. W. McMorries died at the home of his daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Cofield, in Union County, S.C., August 22nd, 1883. He was born April 15th, 1803. This date carries us far back in the history of our county. At that time tbere were only sixteen States in the Union and Jefferson was President, and there were still many surviving soldiers of tbe Revolution. Dr. McMorries was a graduate in the Medical School of Philadelphia, but he did not practice long. He united himself with the Associate Reformed Churcb; was made a Ruling Elder in Thompson Street Church at Newberry in 1858, while Mr. Murphy was pastor. It is said that he took great delight in his office and performed its duties faithfully and well. His family loved him; he was a cheerful and tender father; his life companion was of the same cheerful temper and they made a happy household. He raised seven children, but only three daughters - Mrs. Johnson, of Alabama, Mrs. Dr. Grier, of Due West, S. C., Mrs. Cofield, of Union, S. C.,- and one step ­ Ron, J. C. S. Brown, of Newberry, survive him. [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 605]

John A. Moore and John W. Chapman
These two gentlemen were both natives of Newberry; both read law, and both left the county to practice their profession.  Mr. Moore went to Columbia, the other to Kingstree, Williamsburg County. They married sisters, Miss Sarah Arthur
and Miss Amanda Arthur, sisters of Edward J. Arthur, Esq.

John W. Chapman left a widow, Mrs. Amanda Chapman, (who once taught the Hartford School,) but no children. She now lives with her nephews, the Killians, about twelve miles above Columbia. Mrs. Moore lives in Columbia, at the place,
I believe, where her husband died. Two children live with her, one son and one daughter, Annie, who was a lovely girl and woman, but I have not seen her in a long tIme. She, too, once taught school in this county, at or near Mr. Cleland's, not far from Silver Street.

Mr. Moore lived at Newberry Village in his boyhood, and he once told me a story on himself in connection with the Quaker meeting House on Bush River. That house, as perhaps my readers well know, had the reputation of being a haunted spot; but why, it would be hard to say, as the peopIe, who worshiped there in old days, were certainty a good, quiet folk. But whether haunted or not it had the reputation and that answered every purpose. Mr. Moore said that one Saturday afternoon, having holiday, he thought he would take his gun and walk down to Bush River hunting. The road passed right by the House, which was deeply embosomed in woods. The spot was lonely and he was alone. When he came near the house, looking up he saw high up in a tree, in the edge of the woods, a large owl with its white breast directly towards him. He raised his gun and fired, and the owl, instead of flying off or falling directly down to the earth, came sailing in a straight line towards him. All at once it flashed across his mind that there was something eerie in its performance; that it might be one of the ghosts haunting the place, and he broke and ran towards Newberry for dear life. He ran some two hundred yards or so and finding that nothing caught him he thought he would stop and investigate. He returned to his former standpoint and found the poor owl lying on the ground near where he was standing when be fired, crippled but not dead. He said he picked it up and returned home and hunted no more that day.

Mr. Moore was a good lawyer, a prosperous and energetic man. His eldest son, Arthur, married and settled in Columbia; he was a lawyer, but he too is dead - died a few years ago.

Many of the older citizens of Newberry, no doubt, still remember Mrs. Esther Moore, the mother of John A. Moore. Her neat, quick, bird-like ways were very pleasant. My acquaintance with her was very limited, but I knew her well by sight, and it always gave me pleasure to meet her.

Dear Reader, it is a pleasure, but of a mournful kind, to recall the past and jot down recollections of persons and events long gone. But can an old man, whose active life is over, find better employment than this? There is one danger attending it and that is that the Recorder of past events loses, by degrees, active interest in the present, and comes at last to regard passing events and persons as matters giving work, and only this, for the pen of the future historian.  [Annals of Newberry, by John A. Chapman, page 596-97]

James Packer
JAMES PACKER, was a native of England. He came to America in 1853 and to Newberry in 1868, where he remained a good and useful citizen until the day of his death. He married here, read law and was a good and reliable lawyer and business man - admitted to the Bar in 1878 - had already been appointed Trial Justice by General Hampton in 1877. As a lawyer he was heard in the Supreme Court with marked attention, and was very successful. I knew him well; he was a good man and a genial and faithful friend, and was a fine example of what patient industry can accomplish in overcoming early disadvantages. He died on Thursday, 14th day of May, 1885, leaving a widow but no children. [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 607]

Patrick Calhoun Caldwell
Patrick Calhoun Caldwell was born in Newberry District March 10th, 1801. He was the son of William Caldwell and brother of John Caldwell. He graduated from the South Carolina College in 1820, read law, and was admitted to practice in 1822. He was for a number of years the partner of James J. Caldwell. He was married December 13th, 1827, to Frances E. Nance, daughter of Major Frederick Nance. His married life lasted but a few years, his wife dying March 3d, 1832. In 1836 Mr. Caldwell was elected to the Legislature from Newberry, a member of. the House; re-elected in 1838. In 1840 he was elected to represent the State in the Congress of the United States from the Congressional District then Composed of the districts of Laurens, Newberry, Fairfield and Lexington. In the canvass preceding this election he is said to have displayed great abilit,y as a "stump" speaker. His opponents were Colonel , James H. Irby, of Laurens, and Mr. Samuel Barclay, of Fairfield. In 1848 he was elected to the Senate of South Carolina from Newberry District. He was very popular as a man, as a citizen, socially and politically. His career as a public man was entirely satisfactory to his constituents. He died November 22nd, 1855, from the effects of a stroke of paralysis, received three years before.  [Annals of Newberry, by John A. Chapman, page 585-86]

Dr. P. B. Ruff
Dr. P. B. Ruff buried all seven of his children. He related this dream: “In 1849 I had an infant child (Annie) very ill with measles. She had been very low for several days and we looking for her to die every hour. I had lost a great deal of sleep on that account. One night, just before daylight I threw my self across the bed, near the child without undressing, to rest, but not to fall asleep. I fell asleep how ever and had a dream that woke me. I got up immediately. The dream lay very heavy on my mind. I told my wife and an old lady who was helping to nurse the child that I had a very strange dream and thought that we were going to lose two children instead of one. I believed from the dream that our little son, at Mt. Enon Academy in Edgefield County was dead. He was at school at Mt. Enon at the time. They thought it strange that I should think him dead when neither the teacher nor any one else had sent me word that he was ill. We had no intimation at all that anything was the matter with him. I was fully convinced in my own mind that he was dead. My wife begged me not to leave the baby. She said it would die before I got back. I said to her “I must go and bring our son home. I can do no more for the baby — the case is hopeless”.

“I wrote a note to the livery stable for a carriage and a pair of good horses. I told the driver to drive fast and get to Mt. Enon as soon as he could without injuring the horses. I rode ahead on horseback, crossed the Saluda and got to Mt. Enon in an hour and a half, sixteen miles. When I entered my son’s room he recognized my voice and spoke to me. He was perfectly rational but was dying. He lived about half an hour after I got there. I brought him home the same day, a corpse. The infant Annie died the second day after”.

In April 1858 Dr. Ruff advertised in the newspaper that he had ‘returned from the west and will resume practice in Newberry’. He settled very near to Baudausian Springs, a place where Newberrians went for picnics and rejuvenation from the waters. His medical books were inadvertently sold at auction and he was forced to advertised for their return. Apparently circumstances were not encouraging when he advertised he had not discontinued his medical practice and could be found either at his house or at Land & Bruce’s Drug Store. Fortunately farming was an option and in March he was able to present a specimen of winter wheat 24 inches to the news staff. It had been sown in November.

His daughter Mary A. Ruff Kinard, wife of John M. Kinard Esq. died March 1860 and son-in-law John M. Kinard died in the war in 1864. A son, John J. Ruff, died in Richmond Virginia during the war and in 1865 a son Rannie Ruff, a student at St. Matthew’s Academy, also died. Dr. P. B. Ruff  was elected President of the Newberry Medical Society in December 1865 and for four months in 1866 he was a partner with Dr. Sampson Pope in Medical practice. It became necessary to publish a table of fees for his services in the newspapers and in March 1868 he declared bankruptcy. His only surviving son, Reubin Ruff, drowned on July 12, 1869 while rafting in one of the western rivers. Dr. Ruff continued being active in the SC Medical Society and financial problems were no stranger to him. Frances Harriet Ruff, his daughter died 1879 and he buried his second wife in 1887.

Dr. P. B. Ruff, 84 years and 3 days old, died in Newberry at the home of Dr. Warren Robertson, on December 28, 1890. He was buried in the Old Village Graveyard with most of his family.

He was the grandfather of Mrs. Elbert H. Aull of Newberry, a child of his daughter Mary Ann ruff Kinard. [by Edith Greisser, ONDQ Spring 2003, Vol. 12, No. 1, pg. 43]

Pettus Wales Gilliam
Pettus Wales Gilliam married Harriet Caldwell Wilson, sister to James B. Wilson, both natives of Newberry; resided at "White Oak," seven miles north of the town of Newberry. They had one son, who was named for his uncle, William Clement Gilliam. During the war he and his son, who was then in his sixteenth year, were both in the Southern army. At the close of the war, the following autumn of 1860, he with his wife and son, Roscius Atwood and his family, removed to Arkansas, where two daughters were born unto them, Colin Murchison and Mary Elizabeth. His wife died in Arkansas. He did not survive her many years. They both were buried in their adopted State.  [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 577]

Daniel Reid Family
David Reid, who lived three and one-half miles east of the town of Newberry, came to South Carolina from County Antrim, Ireland. He landed in Charleston, South Carolina, in 1789 or 1790, and settled in Fairfield County in the neighborhood of Monticello. He remained there two years, then removed to Newberry County and settled on the place three and a half miles from town. He had a family of one and perhaps two children when he came to this country. He raised a family of seven sons and lived to see them all settled around him. David Reid was highly educated. His education was intended to prepare him for the study of medicine, which he pursued to some extent, but never completed. He was a man of intelligence and of excellent conversational powers. He was fond of reading and had quite a respectable library for that day, and was the first man in his neighborhood who subscribed for and took a newspaper. During the war of 1812 he took the Charleston Mercury, which was a week old before it reached Newberry. His neighbors would gather in to hear the news of the progress of the war. About 1810, or thereabouts, he built a mill on Cannon's Creek, which was among the first mills erected in Newberry. A few years later he built a cotton gin to run by water. It was one of the first in the country. It is not now known that he ever held any official position, or had any aspirations in that way. His sons who settled around him were all farmers, and acquired a competfency. Daniel Reid, the eldest son, in 1812 was in command of a troop of cavalry, and was held under orders to march at short notice, but was not called into service. When Nullification caused the people to assume a warlike attitude, the men of the county who were over age for active service were formed into companies, and Daniel Reid was assigned to the command of one of those companies. Samuel Reid, one of the sons of David Reid, was for many years a Justice of the Peace. He was First Lieutenant of a Cavalry Company during the Nullification excitement, Colonel Simeon Fair being Captain. Samuel Reid at his death was an Elder of Cannon Creek Church. David Reid and four of his sons rest in the churchyard at Cannon Creek Church. All his sons, but one, William, died in this State; and of those who died in the State only one, David, died outside of Newberry County. The sons were Daniel, William, David, John, James, Samuel and Joseph. There was a daughter named Elizabeth, but she died when about twelve years old. Joseph S. Reid was Lieutenant-Colonel of a Mississippi Regiment during the war of Secession and served with honor in all the campaigns of the West. [Annals of Newberry, by John A. Chapman, page 580]

John S. Renwick
This very excellent man, a native of Newberry County, aud who spent his long life as one of its citizens, was of Scotch descent, and a not very remote descendant of James Renwick, the last Scotch maltyr. He became a member of King's Creek Church in early manbood and remained in connection with it until the day of his death. The circumstances of his early life prevented him from acquiring a first-rate education, but he knew its worth and be gave his sons and daughters the best that could be obtained. He was the first to suggest to Dr. Bonner, then in charge of the Female Academy at Due West, the propriety of converting that institution into a Female College. He had no political aspirations, but was content to do his duty as a private citizen, a farmer and member of the Church, in which he was a Ruling Elder for nearly the whole of his life. This good man died March 19th, 1889, in the 76th year of his age. [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 605]

Robert Glenn Gilliam
Robert Glenn Gilliam was a brother of Dr. Jacob F. Gilliam, married Eusebia Blackburn. They resided on lndian Creek in Newberry District. They had one daughter who survived her parents. She is now Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Hinson. Some years ago she lost both her lovely little daughters Mary and Mattie; each had arrived at the age of eleven years. Mary, the eldest, died of diptheria. In two and a half years Mattie died of measles. [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 577]

Thomas Bauskett
Thomas Bauskett was the son of John Bauskett, of Orange County, N. C., and married a daughter of John O. Daniel, of the same county and State. He came to Newberry County about the year 1780. He served one term in the Legislature. After his wife's death he remained a widower for forty years, thus affording a rare instance of faithful and devoted attachment. He died leaving two children, John Bauskett and Ann. John Bauskett became an eminent lawyer, well known to the people of Newberry. and, indeed, to the people of the whole State. Ann became the wife of James Wadlington. The remains of Major Thomas Bauskett lie buried at the Baptist Church, in Newberry Connty, known as Bauskett's Church. [Annals of Newberry, page 574]

Mrs. Thomas Bond
Mrs. Thomas Bond left two children. Hugh King Bond, born in Newberry, married Rachel Hunter. They now reside in Laurens Count.y. Laura Bond married Dr. Robert Hunter, of Laurens County. John Bond, brother of Richard Bond, of Laurens County, and his wife Nancy were residents of Newberry. Nattan F. Johnson now owns the place where they lived. They brought up a large and influential family of sons and daughters. Mrs.. Smith L. Davis, of Columbia, is, the youngest.  Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 578]

Thomas Wadlington, Sr.
Thomas Wadlington, Sr., was one of the original settlers of Newberry County. He came from Frederick County, Virginia, in 17G7 and settled on Enoree River and was a large landed proprietor. He brought with him four sons: William, Thomas, James and Edward, and one daughter, Ann, who married Benjamin Hampton.  William was an officer in the Continental Army. He left a son, James Wadlington, who was Lieutenant-Colonel of the Fourth Regiment of Cavalry under Governor Bennett. He was a planter, and on the first day of June, 1820, married Miss Ann Bauskett, a daughter of Major Thomas Bauskett. James Wadlington died October 31st, 1831, and left one son, Thomas B. Wadlington, and one daughter, Caroline J. Wadlington.

Thomas B. Wadlington graduated in the South Carolina College in the class of 1842; read law with his uncle, CoI. John Bauskett, and on the 23d of April, 1844, married )Miss Harriet Sondley in Columbia. His wife lived about one year after marriage and he remained a widower the rest of his life, living quietly on his plantation, where he accumulate a large property, most of which was swept away by the war. He died on the 10th of December, 1882, and his earthly remains rest in the family burial ground at Bauskett's Church by the side of his father. He was the last of his name in this county. Those who did not die here moved years ago to Mississippi and Texas. His sister, Caroline J., born in Newberry County November 19, 1831, became the wife of Col. Ellison S. Keitt, of Orangeburg District, January 25, 1853. They lived in Columbia, S. C., until her death, May 4, 1862. Five children were born of this union: Mary Genevieve, who died in infancy; Edward George, who graduated at Wofford College, read medicine and graduated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Baltimore, was elected by the faculty assistant surgeon in the hospital of the city of Baltimore where he remained seven months, resigning in consequence of impaired health. He practiced seven months in Newberry County, and died, a martyr to his profession, a loss to science, September 2, 1882. Harriet Ann, married Col. L. P. Miller, of Georgetown, and now lives in Newberry County on Enoree River. Joseph L., served one term in the House of Representatives from Newberry County. In 1890 he was elected State Senator. Thomas W., is a farmer and teacher, living in Newberry County at the old Wadlington place.

During the war between the States Col. Ellison S. Keitt raised and commanded Keitt's Mounted Riflemen and served in and around Charleston during the entire siege of that city - being the last Confederate officer who commanded Sullivan's Island and Mt. Pleasant. Since the war he has lived on his plantation on the Enoree River in Newberry County. He has served two terms as a Representative from Newberry in the State Legislature. The spelling of the family name was changed in 1812 from Kitts to Keitt, by the three sons, Adam, William and George, at the suggestion of William. [Annals of Newberry, page 574-75]

Welch Family
William and Williams Welcb, who were brothers, came from Iredell County, N. C., during the first quarter of the present century. They were of Quaker parentage. William was a wortby, guileless man, but of an impatient and restless temper. He died in 185B, aged sixty. Williams was the younger. He was of a generous, and impulsive nature; a man of clear judgment and abounding in energy. Though he came to this country a poor boy, he accumulated a fortune in the pursuit of agriculture, besides rearing and educating a family of eleven children. He died in 1874, in his seventy second year. Professor C. W. Welch, late Principal of the High School, Houston, Texas, and now (1892) Professor-e!ect in Clenson College and Williams Welch, tbe portrait painter, also Professor-elect in Clemson College, both natives of Newberry, are his grandsons. Mrs. Lucy Sharp was the sister of William and Williams Welch. She came to Newberry from North Carolina in 1850, and died in 1856. She was a woman of unusual industry and very kind and generous in her nature. She left two cbildren, William, one of Anderson's best citizens, and Mrs. Neville, wife of Rev. Mr. Neville of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. [Annals of Newberry, by John A. Chapman, page 591]

William Dugan
William Dugan married Elizabeth Lemon Wright. Their residence was situated on Indian Creek, ten miles north of the town of Newberry, on the Buncombe Road. They had four daughters Lucinda, the eldest, married Meredith Freeman, of North Carolina. Mary married Robert Campbell, the father of John B. Campbell, of Jalapa. Maria Marion married Andrew Turner. Frances, the yougest, married John T. Boyd. [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 577-78]

William Drayton Rutherford
Col. William Drayton Rutherford was the son of Dr. Rutherford of Newberry County and a descendant, a great-grandson, of Colonel Robert Rutherford of Revolutionary fame, who removed from Virginia to Newberry about the year 1780 or perhaps just before the American Revolutionary War. Young Drayton was a man of fine promise and liberal education; read law at Newberry; married in 1862, a daughter of Colonel Simeon Fair, and life was opening before him bright and beautiful, with every promise of a prosperous and happy career. But the trouble between the States having brought on war, he volunteered at an early day, before his marriage, entered the service as a private in the Quitman Rifles; was made 2nd Sergeant, afterwards Adjutant, and finally, after the death of Colonel Nance, was promoted to the rank of Colonel of the regiment, the Third, which position in the service he was holding when he was killed in the battle of Strasburg,. Va., October 13th, 1864. He was a brave and gallant youth, and gave his life for his beloved South. I had not the pleasure of knowing Colonel Rutherford personally, never having met him at any time that I.can remember now. He was in Europe pursuing his legal studies when the war began. But I knew his father, and I knew of him as one not likely, by any act of his, to dim tbe lustre that clung around the name of his illustrious ancestors. He left a widow and one daughter, who still survive. An incident in the military life of Colonel Rutherford and the history of the Third Regiment has been told me by an eyewitness. It is here given, as nearly as can be remembered, in the words of the witness and narrator: Colonel Rutherford was promoted Colonel from Lieutenant Colonel upon the death of Colonel James D. Nance on the 6th of May, 1864 - the battle of the W ilderness. On the night of the 7th of May General Grant began his famous flank movement. The rival forces first encountered each other on the "Brock road," leading to Spottsylvania Court House. The cavalry, under General J. E. B. Stuart, held that road. While on the march early in the morning of the 8th of May, an old Virginia gentleman, bare-headed, rode up to General Kershaw and told him that if the Brock road was to be held his troops must do it, as the cavalry under Stuart were being forced to give way by the approach of the United States infantry. General Kershaw responded to this call by directing his old brigade to hurry to the scene. At the double-quick, Rutherford soon had his regiment at the point of danger. He threw his whole soul into the movement, and war enabled to take possession of the rail piles, which had been thrown up by the cavalry as a breastwork, just in time to prevent a strong force of United States infantry from taking the place. Gen. Stuart remained on the ground after his cavalry had retired and assisted, with hat in hand, to stimulate the Third Regiment to stand firm. A very hot fight ensued. The young Colonel was all along his line, giving direction and energy to the fight. The result was a victory over the assaulting forces. The line thus established was the identical line upon which the battles around Spottsylvania Court House were fought on the 8th, 10th and 12th of May. Late in the afternoon of the 8th Lieutenent-General Stuart and Lieutenant-General Ewell rode up to the Third and called for Colonel Rutherford. After introducing him to Genera1 Ewell, General Stuart said: "Colonel Rutherford, I have brought General Ewell down here to show him how you brave South Carolinians can fight." Then turning to General Ewell and pointing with his finger to the piles of Federal dead in the front of the Third Regiment, he said: "General, all these dead are their work." [Annals of Newberry, by John A. Chapman, page 584-85]

Zaccheus V. Right
In a short sketch (and these that I give are of necessity compelled to be very short) justice cannot be done to the memory of the many good men and women mentioned. Amongst these is Zaccheus Wright, the father of Captain Robert H. Wright, of the town of Newberry, and mentioned lovingly by the one who gives me these sketches as "my sainted uncle." He and Robert Glenn Gilliam were near neighbors, and were truly some of the "salt of the earth." They worshiped together in the same church, "Tranquil," for many years. They both are asleep in Jesus, "blessed sleep." Their bodies are interred in the same cemetery, close by the church, where in life they were so fond of attending, there to await, tho first resurrection. Rest in peace - with an the faithful in Christ. Amen. There are a few other families living in close proximity to those already mentioned, whose names must be recalled. Of these is Jacob Duckett, father of Colonel James W. Duckett, who was one of the largest and most successful planters in all that section.  [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 578]

Jacob Boozer Family
Jacob Boozer was of Swiss or Swedish descent. He mar­ried Elizabeth Senn about the year 1770, and settled on Twen­ty-one Mile Creek, at Cherokee Ford, near Fort Granby, and served in the Revolutionary war. By this marriage came Henry, David, William and Jacob. Jacob Boozer married and lived in Lexington. Henry and William, with their families, removed to Alabama. David Boozer married Catherine Rawl, and became the father of Wesley, David L. (dentist in Colum­bia), and Jacob H., who married, first, Elizabeth Enlow, a niece of Captain Matthew Hall, having by her two sons, Mat­thew and Luther, and whose second wife was Hapbock Lind­sey, who brought him also two sons, Lindsey and Jacob. D. Luther Boozer married Emma Moore, and has a family who, with him, are now living near Ninety-Six, in Abbeville County. [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 640]

Bowers Family
Stephen Bowers married a Miss Bates, to whom were born David, Samuel, Andrew, Jacob, Levi, John, Sallie Wheeler, Elizabeth Fellers, Nancy Maffett and Vina Young. David Bowers married Eva Kinard, to whom were born Michael, Levi, Vina Shealy, Katie Shealy, Betsie Frick, Mary Ann Monts and Louisa Swygert. Michael Bowers married Eliza Dominick, to whom were born one son, George, and three daughters. Levi Bowers became a lawyer under Major L. J. Jones tutorage. He died in the bloom of youth. John Bowers moved to Georgia. Samuel Bowers married, first, a Miss Cook, to whom were born Rebecca Simpson, Elizabeth Werts and Jacob Bowers. His second wife was Margaret Moore, who brought him Levi S., Fletcher M., Emma Nates and Mary Barre. Levi S. Bowers married Mollie Gallman. Samuel Bowers was a magistrate before and during the war between the States; and a most excellent man who held the scales of justice with an even, firm and steady hand. Andrew Bowers married - -, to whom were born George, Jacob, Michael, Levi, John and Nancy Young. John Bowers married Margaret Dominick, who brought him six sons and three daughters, viz: Patrick, George, Lindsey, Luther, Pierce, Nathan, Sarah Stockman, Elizabeth Bowers and Mary Stockman. Patrick Bowers, son of .John, married, first, Salome Stockman, by whom he had one daughter, Alice Mitch­ell. George married Elizabeth Bowers; Lindsey, Mary Bowers; Luther, Golvy Morris; Pierce, Amanda Taylor; Nathan, Bessie Morris; with what further result is unknown to this historian. Of George Bowers, the son of Andrew, I know nothing. Jacob S. married Sarah, daughter of Samuel Chapman, Esq., who brought him several sons and daughters. One, J. William, engaged in business in Abbeville County; one, Rev. A. J. Bowers, pastor of Lutheran Church in Savannah, Ga.; one daughter, Mary, wife of R. H. Wright, merchant and banker, in the town of Newberry; one, Margaret, wife of McDaffie Sligh, farmer in Newberry Couuty; one, Stevie, wife of George Wright, nephew of Robert H., enaged in business in Texas; one, Elizabeth, who married Rev. H. S. Wingard, but now dead, having several children; one, Janie, is unmarried and makes her home with Rev. Wingard, who has married again since the death of his first wife. There was a daughter, Ella, who married a Mr. Mackerell. She is no longer living, but left one or two children. A. Michael Bowers is living and is in business in the town of Newberry. He married Miss Barre, but has long been a widower. He has two chil­dren, son and daughter, both grown. Of Levi, the other son of Andrew Bowers, and the daughter, Nancy Young, I can add nothing here. [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 635-36]

Brown Family
Robert Brown was born in County Antrim, Ireland, May 20, 1762. He came to Newberry District, S. C., and married Nancy Young on April 8, 1794. By this marriage were born James, George, Young, Mary Russell and Elizabeth Moore. James Brown married Melvina Haynes, and moved with his family to Georgia. Young Brown married, first, Rhoda Schumpert, and, second, Ann Russell, and then moved to Georgia. George Brown was born December 8, 1810, and on April 10, 1834, he married Lucinda Cureton, to whom were born Sarah C. Brown, Jas. R. Y. Brown, J. W. P. Brown, L. Carrie Brown and G. D. Brown. Sarah C. Brown died a maiden. James R. Y. Brown volunteered in the 13th South Carolina Regiment and was killed at the second battle of Manassas. J. W. P. Brown married Carrie Hawkins. L. Carrie Brown married H. C. Moseley and G. D. Brown married Mrs. Nancy Maffett, nee Nancy Moseley. [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 643]

Burr Johnstone Ramage
Was a native of Newberry County and was born on the 2nd day of December, 1817, three miles south of the town of Newberry. He was the eldest son of John Ramage from his marriage with Mrs. Lucy Kelly Henderson, who was then also married for the second time. His half-brothers and sisters loved him as a brother. His education was good, but limited to an academical course. Arriving at manhood he read law with Col. Simeon Fair-after admission to the Bar he entered into partnership with his tutor and soon became one of the best office lawyers in Newberry - Colonel Fair always conduding the cases in Court. Upon the death of Mr. Y. J. Harrington. in 1850, who had been Clerk of the Court since 1808, Mr. Ramage was elected to that office. He was a most admirable officer, and was again and again re-elected to that office, only once, however, without opposition. It is probable that during that period he was the most popular man that Newberry ever had. During the war the Courts being virtually closed he declined re-election and accepted the situation of Agent of the Greenville and Columbia Rail Road at the New­berry Station. He served in that situation until 1870, when he resigned and retired to private life. Loving learning he gave all his children as good an educa­tion as possible, sparing no pains nor expense to that end. He was himself a close observer of nature and took great and especial delight in the study of Botany, This writer has gone to him more than once with plants which seemed strange, but which Mr. Ramage could always elucidate. His wife was Sarah Ann Wilson, daughter of Wlliam Wilson, Judge of the Court of Ordinary for Newberry. He married in the year 1840. The fruits of this happy union were eight children; and it was said to be the happiest family in Newberry. To their intimate friends, those who knew them well, their home always seemed to be the perfection of peace and content. His wife died in 1879, leaving him and his home desolate. One son and three daughters also preceded him to the grave. He was survived by one daughter and three sons, who are still liying. One daughter, Miss Fanny, and one son, John, who is in business, live in Newberry; Bartow B., who is an Episcopal minister, resides at Nashville; and Burr J., a lawyer, is also resident at Nashville, Tenn. None are married. Burr J. Ramage died October 28, 1890, and his body was interred the day following at the family burying ground, less than a half mile from the house in which he was born. [Annals of Newberry, Part Two by John A. Chapman, page 648-49]