Chesley W. Herbert

Annals of Newberry, by John A. Chapman, page 589-90

CAPTAIN CHESLEY W. HERBERT, son of Isaac and Frances Herbert, was born June 10th, 1832. He was prepared for college at the old Cokesbury Conference school, and graduated from the South Carolina College in December, 1855. He was married on January 10th, 1856, to Elizabeth S., eldest daughter of Daniel and Emily Goggans.

When South Carolina seceded he volunteered at the first call for troops, and left home for service in Company C, Third Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers, on April 13th, 1861, the day Fort Sumter surrendered. His regiment was shortly afterwards ordered to Virginia. He was badly wounded at the battle near Gettysburg, July 2nd, 1863. On the retreat. to Winchester he was captured by United States cavalry, but was recaptured in a short time and furloughed until again fit for duty. Was again wounded, and this time seriously, by a shot through the left knee at the battle of the Wilderness, May 6th, 1864. He was brought from Virginia to South Carolina on a litter, and after months of suffering returned to the army, and was discharged just previous to the close of the war, because of lameness, which unfitted him for further military service.
His tragic death is briefly described in a letter written by the late General Garlington to Governor Scott:

"Did you hear of the murder of the gallant Herbert, by a negro who had stolen his horse, and had been arrested by him, and who was sharing his bread with the culprit by the roadside?"

As he was lame, the negro in some way obtained the advantage of him, struck him on the head with a heavy stick, and, while he was insensible, took his pistal from his pocket and shot him through the head, killing him instantly. The tragedy occurred near the Lexington line, on March 8th, 1866, while the victim was making his way toward his home in this county.

The murderer was afterwards captured, but escaped jail; was recaptured by I. H. Boulware and A. B. Cromer; was tried,
convicted and hanged. Before his execution he confessed to having stolen the horse and also to the murder of Captain
Captain Herbert was at the time of his death Superintendent of Sunday School at New Chapel Methodist Church; and was
and always had been a true friend to the colored race. He left a widow, who is still living, and four children. The eldest, D. Oscar Herbert, is now (1892) a lawyer in Orangeburg. 'The eldest daughter, Emma F., married William L. Glaze, Esq., of Orangeburg, S. C., and is still living. One daughter died in infancy, and another, Minnie E., entered into her heavenly inheritance on her birthday, June 25th, 1888, aged twenty-seven years.