Helena, Newberry County, was so entitled
Helen Pope O'Neall, wife of Judge John Belton
O'Neall, who was first president of the Greenville &
Columbia Railway Company chartered in 1845 (now
a branch of Southern Railway). The railroad shops
of the G&C, according to Mr. Pope, were first located
at Helena, about one mile from Newberry, but moved
to Columbia about 1880.