Pomaria is a town in Newberry County,
South Carolina, United States. The population was 177 at the 2000
Pomaria, Newberry County, was named by
Horticulturist William Summer (a descendant of one of the earliest
settlers there). The name is derived from the Latin, pomus, meaning plants
or trees; and though often mispronounced, has no
basis for the legend
about a needy soul named "Po' Mary."
located at 34°15?60?N, 81°25?10?W (34.266535,
According to the United States Census Bureau, the
town has a total area of 2.7 km˛ (1.0 mi˛). 2.7 km˛ (1.0 mi˛) of it is
land and 0.95% is water.
As of the
censusGR2 of 2000, there were 177 people, 70 households, and 46 families
residing in the town. The population density was 65.7/km˛ (170.1/mi˛).
There were 84 housing units at an average density of 31.2/km˛ (80.7/mi˛).
The racial makeup of the town was 54.80% White, 41.24% African American,
1.69% from other races, and 2.26% from two or more races. Hispanic or
Latino of any race were 2.26% of the population.
There were 70
households out of which 30.0% had children under the age of 18 living with
them, 45.7% were married couples living together, 15.7% had a female
householder with no husband present, and 32.9% were non-families. 24.3% of
all households were made up of individuals and 10.0% had someone living
alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was
2.53 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the town the
population was spread out with 23.2% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to
24, 29.9% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 17.5% who were 65 years
of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there
were 124.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 106.1
The median income for a household in the town was $45,000,
and the median income for a family was $49,000. Males had a median income
of $24,688 versus $25,313 for females. The per capita income for the town
was $20,524. About 2.1% of families and 9.7% of the population were below
the poverty line, including 12.9% of those under the age of eighteen and
14.3% of those sixty five or over.
Sketch written by John A. Chapman, "Annals of
Newberry, pg 548-552
The Pomaria Postoffice in the Southeastern part of
the county was established about the year 1840. The name was given by Mr.
William Summer, the founder and proprietor of the Pomaria Nurseries, which
were so long and so favorably known through out the country. Mr. Summer,
if I mistake not, was the first Postmaster. About the year 1850 the
Postoffice was moved to where the present town of Pomaria now is on the
completion of the Greenville and Columbia Railroad to that point. William
Summer was Postmaster and Thomas W. Holloway (who is, in 1892, P. M.)
J. A. Folk & Sons did a large business as
merchants at Pomaria until the year 1855, when they were succeeded by
Thomas W. Holloway and his brother-in-law, H. H. Folk, who continued until
Secession and the war.
After the war
Thomas W. Holloway and Hayne D. Reid formed a copartnership and carried on
a large and lucrative business, until the murder of Reid and the burning
of the house with the body of the murdered man in it by the assassin,
Thompson, on the 24th of December, 1875. Thompson confessed the crime and
was hanged. The burning of the house and the goods in it entailed a
heavy loss upon the firm.
mercantile house established at this place was that of D. A. Dickert and
David Hipp. They were succeeded by D. Hipp & Co. E. R. Hipp, now
(1892) of Columbia, represented the company. Upon the dissolution of this
firm Mr. Wm. T. Hatton took the place of E. B. Hipp, and the firm name, D.
Hipp & Co., still stands.
house was built by Thomas W. Holloway and his son, J. B. O’Neall Holloway,
in 1872, and they carried on the mercantile business together until the
fall of 1889, when the stock of goods on hand was sold to E. H. Hipp,
son-in-law of the senior member of the firm. The junior member, having
married in Orangeburg, moved to that county, near Fort Motte, and engaged
Mr. Hipp continued the business until the 14th of
January, 1891, when the store was burned with a large stock of goods,
entailing a heavy loss on Mr. Hipp.
J. William Stone in 1889 built
a store house in the town and was carrying on business there, when his
house and goods were burned at the same time.
Among the earliest
settlers of Pomaria and the neighborhood was the family of Summer. John
Adam Summer - I think is the name - came across the country from
Pennsylvania . The country traveled by him was then almost an unbroken
wilderness peopled by several different tribes of Indians. Wherever he
went, whatever tribe or family of natives he met with, he always received
the heartiest and warmest welcome. And when he reached his destination,
the natives there were waiting for him, extended him a friendly greeting
and made him feel at home. Rumors of kindness he had shown to some Indians
in Pennsylvania preceded him, and runners were sent on ahead to tell the
tale arid to give notice of his coming.
John Summer was the father
of John, Nicholas, Henry, Adam, William, Thomas and Miss Catharine P.
These are all gone, except Miss Catharine. John and Nicholas I never knew.
Nicholas was killed in the Seminole war in Florida; John went down there
to bring the body home and he took sick and died in Florida without being
able to accomplish his mission. Elsewhere in this book an interesting
anecdote is related of Dr. King and Nicholas Summer. Henry was a lawyer at
Newberry whom everybody knew and respected. Towards the close of the war
of Secession, Kilpatrick raiders burnt his home in the lower part of the
county, with his valuable library, and hung him up by the neck to the limb
of a tree in the effort to make him tell where he had his money concealed,
of which they imagined he had an immense amount, He had none concealed and
they at length released him. Adam was a man of great and versatile genius.
He left one child, who lives in Florida. William never married, but might
be called the father of Pomaria and the Pomaria Nurseries, Henry Summer
left three children, only two of whom were alive in 1892, his son John
Adam, and daughter Catherine, who is happily married to Rev. J. F. Kiser,
a Lutheran minister John Adam owns the homestead of his grandfather, John
Summer. The other daughter of Henry Summer, Mary, married Dr. J. K.
Chapman. At her death she left three children, one daughter and two sons.
Thomas Summer, the youngest brother of Henry Summer, I knew for awhile in
his youth. He died early. He was a student, I think, in some German
The late John A. Folk owned the land upon which the
town of Pomaria was built. He died in 1855, leaving three sons and two
daughters, J. D. A., Dr. H. M., H. H., Martha, the wife of Thomas W.
Holloway, and Eustatia, half-sister of the above, who was married to John
David Wedeman, who died leaving two sons.
Solomon Suber, who
resided where Dr. J. A. Berly afterwards lived, left four children, John
W., who moved to Florida after the war, where he has since died; Major
Christian H. Suber, also now deceased, a lawyer at Newberry, who was so
long and so favorably known socially, not only in his native county, but
,also throughout this State, and I may justly add, the United States, at
least in many others besides his own. Christian Suber was a man of more
than ordinary ability; of mild and amiable deportment and averse to
strife. He gave by will three thousand dollars for benevolent
purposes---two thousand dollars to Newberry College and one thousand for
the purpose of assisting in rebuilding the Lutheran Church at Newberry. He
had two sisters; Ann C., who was married to the late Walter F. Ruff—they
both died before the war, leaving no children. The other sister, Lavinia
C., was first married to George Ruff, who died before the war, leaving one
son, John S.; since the war she has become the wife of George Burder
Boozer and they make their home in the town of Newberry.
the original of the family of that name, resided a short distance from the
site of the town on Tanner’s Hill, known to wagoners prior to 1850 as
Folk’s Hill. It has been said that when wagoners left home with wagons
loaded with cotton or tobacco for market in Charleston if they succeeded
in getting up Folk’s Hill they would have no more trouble. Mr. Folk left
two children by his first marriage, John A. and a daughter who became the
wife of David Cannon and the mother of John A. Cannon. By a second
marriage there were five children who grew to maturity: John Wesley, David
and Levi E.—daughters Elizabeth Graham and Eve Busby, mother of Prof D. B.
and Rev. L. E. Busby, one a teacher of youth and the other a Lutheran
Dr. John A. Berly, who owned and lived and died at the
Solomon Suber place, as already mentioned, left two sons, John Eusebius
and W. W. Berly. John Eusebius died unmarried. He was a young man honored
and respected by all who knew him; of great ability, and preached the
gospel with great power and effect Those who knew him from his infancy
speak of him as having been blameless in all respects. After his
graduation from Newberry College in June, 1879, he read medicine and
practiced for awhile, a year or two, after taking his degree, when he
became deeply impressed with the feeling that it was his duty to devote
himself and his life to preaching the gospel. He accordingly prepared
himself for that work, studied in the Theological Seminary in Philadelphia
and graduated with distinction. He was called to the ninth pastorate of
the Lutheran Synod in the Fork, in which charge he continued until his
death on the 19th of July, 1890.
W. W. Berly is the owner of the
old homestead and is giving his undivided attention to the fine farm which
Dr. John A. Berly, the father of these young men, was
a kind and obliging neighbor. He was assiduous in the practice of his
profession for more than forty years. No man was more charitable, kind and
attentive, going at all hours, and often to a great distance, to give
relief to suffering humanity, when he knew that he would receive no
pecuniary recompense for his labor, He was always ready and willing to
assist with his means all benevolent and charitable objects. His place it
will be difficult to fill. He never used tobacco, nor alcoholic drinks,
because he knew from the study of physiology and from observation the evil
effects resulting from their use.
Christian Suber was another of
the old landmarks and resided within a half-mile of the site of the
present town of Pomaria, long before the Railroad was built. He was
engaged in the mercantile business and farming. Mr. Suber accumulated a
fortune; he grew rich and earned and secured the reward due to his
wonderful energy and perseverance. His wife was Caroline Counts, daughter
of Jacob Counts. Three sons and one daughter survived him, viz.: John D.,
George Benedict, J. Benson and Isabella Eleazer, who was first married to
Philander Cromer, who was killed in battle during the war of Secession.
Rebecca, the eldest of the children, married James A. Welch, and by this
union two sons and two daughters survive. One of these is Professor C. W.
Welch, who has filled various professional chairs and has .recently been
elected Professor of Physics in Clemson College.
Thomas W. Molloway
is still living as I compile these Annals. In the building of the
Greenville and Columbia Railroad he was appointed Agent at Hope Station,
Pomaria, Prosperity and Newberry, successively, as the Road advanced.
While Agent at Newberry he was elected Cashier of the Bank of Newberry,
which position he held until 1855, when he resigned and removed to Pomaria
and engaged in the mercantile business. He was the Secretary of the State
Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry for many years. He was also connected
with the State Agricultural and Mechanical Society from 1857 to the
breaking out of the war. The Society was reorganized after the war and he
occupied the first position of the Society under the late B. Wyatt Aiken.
in 1875 Col. Aiken declined re-election to the position of Secretary and
Mr. Holloway was elected. He has been re-elected each succeeding year to
the present, 1892.
Dr. Z. T. Pinner, President Bank
Walter Richardson, Correspondent
Herald & News
A. H. Shealy, Pres. Pomaria Oil
John C. Aull, Cashier Bank of
W. B. Counts,
Miss Anna Koon,
Prof. Ben. M. Setzler, Principal
Miss Louise Richardson, Assistant
Adam L. Aull,
Roy J. Johnson
J. P. Setzler,
Reminiscences of the Pomaria Post Office
About the year 1790 the first Post
Office for the Pomaria section of the County was established on
“Tanner’s Hill’ near the present day Pomaria Depot. John Folk, son
of Jacob Volk (as the name was then written) one of the original
settlers, a tanner — from whose vocation the hill received its name
— was appointed postmaster. The mails at that time were monthly;
then semi monthly; then weekly and were conveyed by horseback from
Ninety Six, Greenville and Spartanburg to Columbia. Peter Dickert,
whose writings attested his excellence in penmanship, acted as
deputy Post Master, mailing the letters from time to time as they
accumulated in the office. The Post Office Department, having
observed the chirographic skill displayed in the office, wrote to
Mr. Folk, stating that it perceived he had a clerk and that it could
not allow him salary. Squire Dickert replied in substance ‘that the
department need give itself no unnecessary uneasiness, as his only
expected salary was a peck of chinquapins, whenever picked and
hulled by himself.’
The office was continued at that place
until 1817 when it was located for a short time at the store of
Solomon Suber, on the spot later occupied by Dr. Berley’s Medical
Office. Thence it was removed to Col. Jacob Counts where it received
the name COUNTSVILLE and where it remained until the death of Col.
Counts in 1826. It was then removed to Col. William Counts’ place
where it remained until 1831 when it was transferred to Captain John
Summers. There it remained under the name of Countsville until about
the year 1845 when our venerable citizen William Summer Esq.
established the Pomaria Nurseries. With that fine classical taste
for which he continued, admired at home and abroad, he baptized both
the Post Office and Town with the name POMARIA, unparalleled perhaps
During the time the office
was at Col. William Counts’ the mails were supplied semi weekly with
a two- horse back while at Captain Summers’ there was a semi weekly
transit in four horse stages. Thus it continued until early 1851
when William Summer Esq. kindly consented at the request of Col.
William Spencer Brown, to transfer both name and office to the
Railroad Depot established there.
The Herald and News, Dec. 3,
Pomaria Is One of Newberry County s Initial
Settlements Which Has Shown Development and Progress and of which
she is Proud-Pioneer Leader in Educational Advancement Which Awaited
No Precedent, But Went Forward in a Manner Worthy of Emulation-Her
Progress and Those Who Made It -Spirit of Local Patriotism and
Pomaria is one of the oldest settlements in the county. For a
number of years back, as far as we can remember, there were a few
stores located at that place, but not until recent years have the
people become so interested in
the activities of life, and through their untiring
efforts a wonderful growth can be seen, the town laving been named
years ago from a prosperous nursery that flourished here
long before the railroads in this section had been built. In latter
years, Pomaria has been widely known through the State as a
prosperous and fast growing town. It is located on the old Columbia
and Greenville road sixteen miles east of Newberry, four from the
Broad river, and is surrounded by fertile farm land on every side
with soil suited to almost any kind of truck, all of which is
settled by good white in each and every enterprise that pertains to
the welfare of the people.
Citizens who take great
interest They have worked together, hand in hand, to the upbuilding
of good roads and rural graded schools just such as to make country
life desirable. One hundred and fifty of these homes are now reached
by the rural telephones, all of which add to the business and
pleasure of life. The telephone system was organized in Pomaria in
1907 with Mr. James P. Setzler as manager and Miss Anna Koon the
efficient and faithful central. The success of the telephone system
has been so complete and pleasant that it is steadily growing each
It is also with pleasure we mention the fact that there
are three rural routes which go out from this town and deliver the
mail at the door of the rural home each day. Pomaria is one of the
beat market towns in the county, a good business center offering a
market to a large number of thrifty and enterprising people who are
developing the country between the two rivers in the lower part of
The town of Pomaria is incorporated and has a
town government composed of J. T. Kinard, intendant and Roy J.
Johnson. Joe Boland, Dr. Z. T. Pinner and J. P. Setzler, wardens.
Mr. Adam L. Aull has been magistrate there for three years.
They have a prosperous and thriving bank under the
management of Dr. Z T. Pinner, president; John C. Aull, cashier, who
are ready and willing to serve the people at all times.
have a thriving oil mill, owned and managed by Mr. A. H. Shealy.
The people in and around Pomaria have placed their shoulders
to me wheel and erected a warehouse under the state warehouse system
in which a great deal of cotton is being stored. Dr. Z. T. Pinner,
the present of the bank, is loaning them money on cotton whenever it
is desired at six per cent interest. The merchants of the town keep
a live and up to date line of merchandise that the surrounding
community may purchase at the lowest
The Pomaria school has
for a number of years been recognized as one of the best rural
schools in this part of the country. Her popularity as a school of
special recognition dates back about forty years, when, under the
management of Prof. D. B. Busby, students went forth from her walls
who in their after lives reflected much credit upon themselves and
upon their former school-master. Among those men of prominence
during the early history of the school we find such names as Col.
Jno. F. Hobbs, Prof. J. B. O'Neall Holloway. Rev. J. E. Berley.
Prof. C. W. Welch and others.
A decade later we find another
group of mention. Among them are W. W. Hentz. Esq., R. H. Welch,
Esq, H. C. Holloway, Esq., R. H. Hipp, chairman of the present board
of trustees, and others. These men all received their early training
at Old Bethel, now Pomaria Graded school.
Since that time quite a number of young men have left the Pomaria
school and entered the various colleges of this state and other
stages, where by their merit and high standing they have reflected
honor upon themselves and upon those who gave them training in the
academic school department. Among those of the present generation
might be mentioned G. Baker Setzler and the Berley boys.
The citizens of Pomaria have always been progressive. When a
proposition Is submitted to them which has for its object the
elevation of society and the propagation of worthy ideals they give
it due consideration and accept it with a determination to push it
forward to its full fruition. So, during the year 1912, when the
propaganda for rural school improvement was being so earnestly
agitated in the state by Prof. Swearingen and Prof. Tate, and in
Newberry county by Superintendent of Education E. H. Aull, the
patrons of the Pomaria school district, realizing the inadequacy of
school equipment, voted bonds to secure funds for purchasing a new
site and erecting a new building to meet the demands of the time.
Accordingly a two story brick building with spacious auditorium and
ample and well furnished recitation rooms and other necessary
apartments was built, at a cost of over $4 000. About the same time
a special tax for maintenance was voted. And we can now boast of one
of the best schools in Newberry county.
It is but proper that we mention in this connection, that it was
during Col. Aull's term as superintendent of education, and was due
largely to the deep interest he took in the welfare of the community
that the present favorable condition of school affairs was brought
The people of Pomaria are not
entirely materialistic. The little town has within her
bounds two churches, Lutheran and Methodist. The Lutheran church was
organized and built several years ago, when Rev. J. J. Long served
the Bethlehem pastorate. He was active in effecting the organization
and in raising funds for its erection. And if it is not the first,
the Pomaria church is among the first churches built by Rev. Long.
While the membership at present is small, prospects for an enlarged
membership are very bright. Rev. S. C. Ballentine is pastor.
The Methodist church was built in Pomaria several years ago.
While the Rev. S. C. Morris was serving the Prosperity circuit. It
is also proper to say that it was through his untiring efforts that
the church was built. Its membership is also few in number, but it
too hopes to grow as time advances. Rev. D. P. Boyd has served the
church for the last two years, but owing to advanced age and failing
health he has been forced to give up active ministerial work, much
to the regret of Christians of every faith.
Pomaria Oil Mill
The Pomaria Oil Mill was
established a number of years ago when the movement towards cotton
seed milling was strong in all sections of the state and each market
town felt obliged to equip Itself with a cotton seed oil mil
Latterly the property was purchased by Mr. A. H. Shealy a very
enterprising and capable young man who has made a success of it. He
is a practical map in such work, and he has run the mill himself. He
has in connection with it a modern ginnery system and he has been
kept busy ginning cotton for a wide stretch of country. His gin and
oil mill give an air of busy, bustling life to Pomaria. He has been
in charge of the mill and ginnery several years and has steadily
built up its business and its usefulness to the community. He is a
wide-awake, progressive business man and is doing a full man's share
for the building up of Pomaria.
The Bank of Pomaria
The Bank of Pomaria has
greatly contributed to the growth of the town in a business way. It
has a capital stock of $15,000 and has furnished accommodation to
the farmers and the business men of the community and to the people
generally. Dr. Z. T. Pinner is president and John C. Aull is
cashier. Dr. Pinner is a native of North Carolina, but has lived in
this section for a long time and has successfully practiced medicine
for the people and is thoroughly identified with the community and
takes a lively and intelligent interest in everything for the
advancement of the people. Mr. Aull is a native of that section of
the county and very popular with all the people who know and respect
him for his integrity and honesty, and he has hosts of friends and
is making a success in his management of the bank as cashier. A
recent statement of the bank shows loans and discount $27,341.99;
deposits. $32,448.03; undivided profits. $1,339.92.
Pinner's Pharmacy is one
of the very important stores in Pomaria. A good stock of drugs and
medicines and I druggists' supplies are kept on hand and the
prescription counter is well equipped to handle the prescriptions of
the physicians in the neighborhood. A full line of the well known
and most reliable remedies are sold here also, as well as the drugs
that are needed most for home and general use. Dr. Z. T. Pinner, the
proprietor, is a practicing physician and a public spirited,
enterprising business man. He is the president of the bank and takes
an active interest in all matters relating to the welfare of the
town and people.
R. H. Hipp
Dr. Roy J. Johnson, the
prescription clerk, is a licensed pharmacist, a graduate of the
State College at Charleston and a very competent and obliging young
man who is active in all things for the good of the community.
Mr. R. H. Hipp is the veteran merchant of the town. He has been
in business at Pomaria for a number of years and his business was a
successor to the still older business of Aull, Hentz & Co. and
Aull & Hipp, and those firms were the successors of D. Hipp, so
that the store has been known by two generation of the people of
this section and has been popular because the public were always
well treated there. Mr. Hipp carries a large and well selected line
of general merchandise and supplies for the home and the farm. He
handles country produce for the farmers around him. He does a good
business and has an attractive store.
The Setzler Company.
The Setzler Company is a
wide awake, progressive business concern building up a fine trade
all through the section tributary to Pomaria. The company is
composed of several of the Setzler Brothers, very energetic and
popular young men. In the company now the Thomas A., James P. and
Benjamin M. Setzler. They carry a good line of general merchandise,
catering to the needs of the people that they serve, and handling
all grades of dry goods and notions, furnishings and supplies The
keep up a large stock and keep in advance of the demands of their
patrons. They are all good citizens, ready to lend a hand to
anything that means the building up of the town of Pomaria.
W. B. Counts.
Mr. W. B. Counts has a popular
store In Pomaria, enjoying a large share of the patronage of the
people who live there and those who trade in Pomaria. He is a
popular man, public spirited and earnest in his work for the town
and the community.
G. J. Wilson is well known as a grocery supply house. Mr. J. L.
Graham is the postmaster at Pomaria.
Mr. Thomas E. Hentz has an attractive dry goods store. He is an
enterprising business man and has been successful in business and
has built up a good trade.
Mr. E. A. Hentz also runs a grocery store and keeps a line of
Mr. T. E. Stone operates a blacksmith shop and an automobile
repair shop, and so does Mr. N. D. Koon and they repair anything
from a broken wagon to an auto.
During the present fall the merchants and business men of the
town, realizing the importance of being able to take care of the
cotton that the farmer desired to hold for higher prices, organized
a warehouse company and they now have a bonded warehouse under the
state system with a capacity for 1.000 bales of cotton and the Bank
of Pomaria has arranged to loan the farmer on his warehouse receipt
at 6 per cent. Mr. J. J. Hentz is president of the company and Mr.
John C. Aull secretary and treasurer and Mr. J. T. Kinard
Back to Newberry County, South Carolina Genealogy
This is a FREE website. http://genealogytrails.com/scar/newberry/
If you were directed
here through a link for which you paid $ for, you can access much
more FREE data via our Newberry County index page at
make sure to visit our main Genealogy Trails History Group website
much more nationwide historical/genealogical data and access to our