REV. HEINRICH P. UNRUH, one of the popular and successful farmers of Bon Homme county, was born in Volhynia, Ostrog, Russia, on the 25th of February, 1865, and is a son of Rev. Peter and Mary (Siebert) Unruh, both of whom were likewise born in Russia, being of German lineage and speaking the German language. Their ancestors removed from Germany into southern Russia a number of generations ago. The father of the subject was engaged in agriculture and in service as a minister of the gospel in his native land until 1874, when he emigrated thence to America, and with his family located in Hutchinson county, South Dakota, being one of the first settlers in that section, where he took up two hundred and twenty acres of government land, the same being entirely unreclaimed and located in the vicinity of Silver Lake. His equipment upon coming to the county consisted of a few household effects, a wagon, a yoke of oxen and two cows. He began his career here in true pioneer style, the original family home being a rude sod house, but in due time he brought his land under profitable cultivation and made the best of improvements on the property, becoming one of the honored and successful farmers of the county, where he and his wife still maintain their residence, residing on the old homestead which has been their place of abode for the past thirty years. He is a Republican in politics and both he and his wife are members of the Mennonite church. To them were born ten children, of whom all are living, the subject having been the second in order of birth, while five of the number were born after the removal of the family to America.
Rev. Heinrich P. Unruh was a lad of nine years at the time of his parents' immigration to the United States, and had received his early educational training in the excellent German schools of his native land, while he supplemented this by attending school as opportunity afforded after coming to South Dakota, though the advantages were of course meager in the early days, while his services were much in requisition in connection with the work of the home farm. He continued to assist his father in the management of the homestead until he had attained the age of twenty-one years, when he initiated his independent career, havingreceived from his father a gift of eighty acres of wild land in Turner county, this state, together with a yoke of oxen. He remained on this place two years, breaking the greater portion of the land, and then, in 1888, disposed of the property and purchased his present homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, in Bon Homme county. The place was partially lmproved, and had a sod house, in place he continued to reside until 1901, when he erected his present commodious frame residence. Mr. Unruh cultivates three hundred and twenty acres of land, of which one hundred and sixty are rented. Be receives a nice income from butter, eggs, produce and stock, and nets from seven hundred to eight hundred dollars yearly from hogs. The farm has a good orchard, is well fenced and is one of the attractive and valuable places of the county, while the subject is known as an energetic and indefatigable worker and as man worthy of unqualified confidence and esteem, which are freely accorded him. In politics he supports the Republican party, and both he and his wife are members of the Mennonite church.
On the 18th of February, 1886, Mr. Unruh was united in marriage to Miss Lena Schultz, who was born in Russia and who is a daughter of Henry Schultz, who was one of the pioneers and successful farmers of Bon Homme county, where his death occurred in 1880. His wife is still living and resides in the home of our subject. Mr. and Mrs. Unruh have eight children, whose names are here entered, with respective dates of birth: Benjamin, February 3, 1887; Peter, October 5, 1888; Susan, May 27, 1890; Jonathan, January 30, 1892, died September 9, same year; Anthony, November 12, 1893; Elizabeth, January 19, 1896; Anna, September 17, 1897; and William, September 1, 1899.
In reference to his services as a minister of the gospel it may be said that Mr. Unruh was elected a minister by the members of the Mennonite church at Loretta, Bon Homme county, January 4, 1889, and was confirmed and ordained on the 15th of February following by Bishop Benjamin P. Schmidt. He has since then served in the Christian ministry without salary. He works faithfully for the sake of Christianity and is greatly interested in the education of young children, having himself been a teacher of the German language for some time at Loretta.
FRANK L. WHEELER.
Frank L. Wheeler, a grain dealer of Scotland, Bon Homme county, is a native of the lake country of New York, a region famous for its beauty. His birth occurred May 20, 1859, in Seneca county, south of Seneca Falls, on the old Wheeler homestead situated on the west shore of Cayuga lake. His parents, Jonathan and Harriet (Ogden) Wheeler, were natives of the Empire state and the mother, who has now reached the advanced age of eighty-five years, is still a resident of that state, making her home in Geneva, at the foot of Seneca lake.
Mr. Wheeler of this review migrated west in the spring of 1880 and remained for a year at Winona, Minnesota, but on the 17th of May, 1681, he came to Huron, South Dakota, on the first train that made the trip with its own engine. Owing to a stretch of marshy ground transfers had to be made until a firmer track could be built and even this at places sank below the surface, the water rising behind the train as it proceeded on its way. Shortly after his arrival in South Dakota Mr. Wheeler opened a lumberyard in Hitchcock near where he took up a homestead, a pre-emption and a timber claim, remaining there until 1893. He was then for two years in business at Viborg and for three years at Howard, after which time, in 1898, he came to Scotland and entered the grain business, in which he has continued to the present time. He has a large elevator and is well equipped for handling all kinds of grain and farm produce. He also has elevators at Blaha and Plumba. His careful study of commercial and agricultural conditions and his systematic methods of carrying on his business are the causes of his gratifying success. In addition to his grain business he has other interests, including a controlling interest in the Peoples Telephone Company of Scotland.
Mr. Wheeler was united in marriage in Scotland in 1891 to Miss Ida Shaw, a daughter of Henry and Mary (Eckert) Shaw, who came to South Dakota in 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler have become parents of five children: Mary, a teacher in the Scotland schools; Floyd, who is associated in business with his father; Henry, who is now taking an engineering course at Vermillion; Frank and Harriet.
Upon coming to Scotland to reside Mr. Wheeler purchased the house in which he had been previously married. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and has served as worshipful master and high priest. He fortunately escaped the blizzard of January 12, 1888, as he was on a visit in New York at the time. However, he had occasion to worry because of the great storm, as on his ranch at Hitchcock was a considerable herd of cattle in charge of a brother. In a little over one year from that time his farm was in the track of the worst prairie fire the Dakotas have ever known. On the 2d of April, 1889, the flames swept with appalling speed across the wide plains and at times leaped across half a mile of fire guard. The barn upon Mr. Wheeler's place was burned, but he considered himself fortunate to escape so well. With the usual American thrift and energy he has succeeded in business and is accounted one of Scotland's respected and prosperous citizens. He is a democrat in politics and is a member of the school board, having served as its president for ten years.
TIMOTHY J. WELBY.
Timothy J. Welby, who is deputy state game warden, has discharged his duties ably and conscientiously, vigorously enforcing the law protecting game and prosecuting offenders. He has been connected with what is now South Dakota since 1867 and has witnessed a change which would have been pronounced impossible if it had been predicted a half century ago.
He was born in County Galway, Ireland, on the 26th of March, 1848, a son of Patrick and Catherine (Little) Welby, who died while he was still a child. In 1865, when seventeen years of age, he emigrated to America with the intention of joining his brothers who were located at Louisville, Kentucky. He sailed from Queenstown, Ireland, on the ship Iberia, which reached New York after a three weeks' voyage. He made his way to Louisville and not long after arriving there secured employment on a boat running from that city to New Orleans and thence to St. Louis. He worked on steamers plying the lower Mississippi and Ohio rivers until he took ship on the Imperial, bound for Fort Benton, Montana. While working on that boat he first visited the present state of South Dakota. The boat docked south of Jefferson near the Big Sioux for a supply of wood and Mr. Welby took advantage of this opportunity and went ashore, thus setting foot on Dakota soil in the middle of May, 1867. On the return of the boat late in the fall it was frozen in the ice at Bon Homme on the 7th of November and was abandoned by Captain Smith and the other officers, who took all of the money with them, leaving the employes without pay. The latter went to Yankton and there filed claims against the boat. The federal court decided in their favor and the machinery and bell of the steamer were sold, the proceeds being given to the employes is satisfaction of their claims. The bell of the Imperial was purchased by Judge Brookings, who had it placed on the old capitol building, where it remained until the removal of the capital, when Judge Brookings gave the bell to Dr. Joseph Ward for use in the academy. He subsequently presented the bell to the Central high school, where it is still in use. While waiting for the decision of the federal court Mr. Welby and others secured board with John Owen, at Bon Homme, paying six dollars a week for two meals a day, payment being made after the settlement of their claims on the boat. Subsequently Mr. Welby worked for six weeks for Jacob Ruefner, receiving only his board for his labor, as work was scarce and board expensive during the winter. Later Mr. Welby worked for Judge Brookings, being employed in the latter's sawmill six miles west of Yankton. In July, 1868, he entered the employ of General J. B. S. Todd, with whom he remained for several years. During this time he drove the first wagon across the first government bridge over the James river which was also the first bridge in the territory. Filing on a homestead claim northwest of Mission Hill, he at length took up his residence upon that place. In 1876, during the hard times that followed the prolonged drought and the grasshopper scourge, he again went to work on the river in order to provide for the support of his family. In that year he went as far as Standing Rock on the boat, Fontanelle, and two years later went with Captain Clark on the Benton as far as Fort Sully. He still retained his homestead, however, and when times improved gave his entire attention to the cultivation of his land. He made many improvements upon his place and as the years passed his property increased steadily in value. He continued to follow agricultural pursuits until 1903, when he put aside the active labor of the fields, but still owns the homestead, which comprises one hundred and sixty acres of land, and also holds title to forty acres near Volin and a fifteen acre tract along the north bank of the James river, which he purchased with soldiers script. In 1909 he was appointed county game warden and served in that capacity until 1913 when he was appointed deputy state game warden and has proved an excellent man for the place.
Mr. Welby was married in Yankton, by Joseph Ward, at the residence of General Todd, on the 15th of January, 1870, to Miss Caroline Hanson. She was born about sixty miles from Christiania, Norway, and remained in her native land until 1867, when she sailed from Christiania for America on the ship, Noah, which arrived at Quebec, Canada, after a voyage of seven weeks. She made her way to La Crosse, Wisconsin, where there was a Norwegian colony, and the following year joined a party bound for Yankton county, Dakota territory, under the leadership of Iver Bagstad. Their transportation, which amounted to eighteen dollars, was to be paid after it had been earned by labor on reaching Dakota. The journey was made with ox-teams and the progress was so slow that Mrs. Welby and most of the other young people walked the greater part of the way by preference, although they had bound themselves to pay for riding. To Mr. and Mrs. Welby have been born the following children. Mattie is the wife of Sampson Erickson, who is farming two miles west of Gayville. James is farming land which he owns adjoining the homestead. Harry is a painter and decorator of Yankton. Tillie gave her hand in marriage to E. V. Cowman, a merchant of Gayville, also serving as postmaster. Alma is now the wife of Clyde McPeake and resides in Spencer, Iowa. Mark is engaged in agricultural pursuits and resides three miles west of Gayville. Mary is the wife of Ambrose Means, of New York, a noted African traveler and hunter and a well known writer. Mrs. Means accompanies her husband on some of his journeys. Emmet is farming the homestead. Mr. Welby is a member of the Congregational church at Mission Hill, although now a resident of Yankton. His wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church of Yankton.
Mr. Welby is a stalwart republican and in all matters where the interests of the community are involved and where public improvements are under consideration he manifests a sincere devotion to the general welfare, subordinating his private affairs to the advancement of his city and county. He has unbounded faith in the development of South Dakota and takes justifiable pride in the fact that he had a part in laying the foundation for her present and future greatness.
When Mr. Welby first came to this state Sioux City was the western outpost of civilization and all beyond was wilderness. At one point above Fort Thompson the steamer Imperial, on which he was employed, was stopped in midchannel to allow a herd of buffalo, crossing the river, to pass on. Although the boat could have forced its way through them, the paddles of its wheels might have been broken off in so doing. The Indians at that time were so hostile that they frequently fired at passing boats and the pilot house was usually encased in boiler iron to protect the helmsman. The few white men who ventured into the territory were obliged to rely upon themselves for everything and if one was injured the only medical or surgical assistance which could be given him was that which his fellows were capable of rendering. On one occasion a man on the boat had his leg broken and badly mashed and, as it was imperative that it be amputated, the steward performed the operation with a meat saw from the kitchen and the man soon recovered. On the return trip down the river there were many passengers, most of them miners with stores of gold, and before civilization was reached the meat supply ran short. While crossing a bar two passengers asked permission to go ashore to try and kill some game, but about three-quarters of an hour after leaving the boat one of the men came running and shouting to the river and jumped in, remaining there with only his face showing until he was taken aboard a yawl sent to his rescue from the boat. He told them they had shot an antelope and the shots attracted Indians who succeeded in shooting the other man with arrows. On the captain being assured the other man was killed, he tied up to the opposite bank to prevent a surprise attack at night and the next day. A party went ashore to investigate and found the mutilated body. The Indians had removed the man's scalp, his eyebrows and his tongue and the body was as full of arrows as it was possible to stick them. The antelope had been left by the Indians, but the white men feared to eat it, as they thought the Indians might have poisoned it. There were many severe storms during the early part of Mr. Welby's residence in the territory and there was one memorable hail storm which lasted for two hours and covered the prairie with hailstones to a depth of twelve inches. In 1876 the grasshoppers destroyed all of the crops and in other years did great damage and there were also a number of bad droughts which caused great loss to the settlers. On the 12th of January, 1888, occurred the worst blizzard in the experience of the white settlers in Dakota, but Mr. Welby braved the storm to take food and hot coffee to the children, who were of necessity detained at school. In company with his neighbor, Torger Nelsen, he made a second trip to the school and they nearly missed the building, so blinding was the storm. They had passed it when they heard voices which guided them to the school in safety. The two men took their children with them on returning from the second trip and all remained at the Welby home during the night.
During the first years of her residence in Dakota Mrs. Welby walked to Yankton to market her butter, for which she received from five to seven cents a pound. At the same time corn brought only eleven cents a bushel. It was difficult to secure coffee and, moreover, it was very expensive, and Mr. and Mrs. Welby at times made a substitute for it from parched potato cakes ground and steeped. Mr. Welby recalls with pleasure that he drove the team the Christmas morning that General Todd called for E. Miner and Dr. Ward and told them he was going to present six lots to the Congregational church and for them to select the property.
Mr. Welby had revisited his old home land, making a trip to Ireland in 1882, and in 1902 he and his wife went to Norway and visited the scenes of her girlhood. One of the relics of her native land which she prizes highly is a spinning wheel which she inherited from her grandmother and which, in all probability, had been in the family for many generations before it came into the possession of the latter. It is still in perfect condition and Mrs. Welby still uses it. She has a dress which is well preserved that she spun, dyed and wove when a girl living in Norway.
GEORGE W. SNOW.
When George W. Snow, a successful real-estate and insurance man of Springfield, South Dakota, first came to the territory, on the 24th of November, 1869, all that there was of Springfield was one family who were living in a dugout. Although he did not remain long on that visit, he returned the following year and settled permanently in the state, so that he is one of the earliest pioneers who are yet living.
Mr. Snow was born in Posey county, Indiana, on the 13tb of December, 1842, and is a son of Augustus Frank and Catherine M. (Feit) Snow, the former born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on the 21st of March, 1816, and the latter in Baltimore, Maryland, on the 28th of July, 1819. Their marriage occurred in Posey county, Indiana, on the 4th of April, 1837, and they remained there until December, 1848, when they removed to Monfort, Grant county. Wisconsin. Their son, George W., enlisted in August, 1862, in Company F. Twentieth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served in the Union army until the close of the Civil war. He participated in the battle of Prairie Grove, Arkansas, on December 7, 1862; sieges of Vicksburg, Mississippi, and Mobile, Spanish Fort and Fort Morgan, Alabama, and other engagements. He was at Spanish Fort when the news came of Lee's surrender and Lincoln's assassination. Later his regiment was sent to Galveston to quell border disturbances and he saw service even in Mexico, the United States troops crossing the border to make peace between the insurrectors and the established authorities during the Maximilian regime. He was mustered out July 14, 1865, at Galveston, and was two weeks on his way home. In 1866 Mr. Snow attended the Patch Grove Academy in Grant county, Wisconsin, conducted by a graduate from Harvard, and subsequently took a course in a commercial college at Madison, Wisconsin. About this time his old captain opened a store in Dodgeville. that state, and Mr. Snow entered his employ as a clerk, remaining in that capacity until he came west in the spring of 1870.
Upon his first visit to Springfield Mr. Snow remained only long enough to file upon a claim a mile and a half from the present town site and then returned to Wisconsin. In May, 1870, together with five companions, he drove through Iowa by wagon, camping by the wayside and reaching Springfield, this state, in seventeen days. On his first trip he had no horse and was compelled to pay four dollars per day for a pony, and this experience taught him a lesson. Accordingly the party brought their own horses and wagons, driving through in 1870. Some of the young men established a sawmill on the fiats near Springfield and Mr. Snow purchased an interest in the enterprise. As the nearby timber was cut off, the mill was moved up the river from time to time until all the big timber upon its banks was manufactured into lumber. After proving up on his preemption claim Mr. Snow filed on a timber claim west of Tyndall, but later sold the relinquishment for one hundred dollars, which would not buy an acre of the place now. Later he filed on a homestead claim near the site of the present Springfield railroad station and in two years secured title to the same, his three years' service in the army shortening the length of residence required.
In 1876, with several companions, Mr. Snow went to the Black Hills and located a placer claim near Hill City in Palmer's Gulch, where they found enough gold to pay them fairly well, but, hearing of the fabulous strikes at Deadwood, they pulled up stakes and migrated to the new diggings. Their hopes were not realized, however, and they returned without the fortune that they set out to find. Provisions were very high in the Hills and the boys sold some of theirs, so much in fact that they subsequently did not have enough for themselves. Mr. Snow and one other returned to Yankton and with oxen took back two loads of provisions, returning by way of Fort Pierre. The Indians about that time became hostile and killed four men, one of these men being a man to whom Mr. Snow had been talking but a few hours before he was killed and scalped. The Indian uprising was so disquieting that the party left the Hills in October and went home, having been absent since the preceding April.
After his return Mr. Snow clerked for a time and then secured the nomination for treasurer of Bon Homme county on the republican ticket, while his employer, M. H. Day, ran for the legislature as a democrat. They campaigned together and both were elected. After serving for two terms, or four years, as county treasurer, Mr. Snow, in partnership with an uncle, Reuben Groot, opened a bank in Springfield, and for twenty years the institution was one of the prosperous and solid financial institutions of South Dakota. The partners experienced an old time bank robbery, in which the safe was dynamited and five thousand dollars in money was stolen. The perpetrators of the crime were apprehended and some of them are still serving out their sentence. At the end of twenty years of successful banking Mr. Snow and his partner sold out. He then turned his attention to real estate and insurance and is still engaged in that business, in which he has met with signal success. At one time or another he has owned nearly every tract of land in the township in which Springfield is located, besides many farms in surrounding townships and counties, and he still holds title to several thousand acres of fine farming and grazing lands.
Mr. Snow has been twice married. On the 19th of April, 1874. he was united in marriage to Miss Sylvia L. Tyler, the well known pioneer preacher, Rev. Ward, performing the ceremony. Mrs. Snow passed away in May, 1878, leaving a son, Harry, who died in August of the same year. In February, 1882, Mr. Snow married Mrs. Alberta M. Davison, nee Mead, by whom he has two sons: George G., who is associated with his father in the real-estate business and who attended the law school of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor two years and the law department of Yale University for two years, graduating from the latter institution with the class of 1907; and Frank M., who graduated from the Springfield high school, attended an institution of higher learning at Colorado Springs for one year and was a student for a like length of time in the University of Washington and the University of Nebraska. He has since written for various journals in the west. Mrs. Snow died April 28, 1912.
Mr. Snow has been a factor in the making of his adopted state, having served as a delegate to the Sioux Falls Constitutional Convention in 1889 and as a member of the first state legislature. He has been a member of both branches of the legislature and used his vote and influence in that body to secure appropriation for the State Normal School at Springfield. He was also twice called to the lieutenant governor's chair and during both terms was able to further advance the interests of the school. His political belief is that of the republican party. Since 1867 he has been an Odd Fellow and has served in the state grand lodge as grand master and treasurer. In 1881 he became a Mason and has now taken the thirty-second degree in that order. He affiliates with the blue lodge at Springfield, the consistory at Yankton and El Riad Temple of the Mystic Shrine at Sioux Falls, in all of which branches of Masonry he has filled some of the chairs. He is a comrade of General Steed man Post, G. A. K., at Springfield, and in 1901 and 1902 served as department commander. There are few living today who have known Dakota earlier or more intimately than Mr. Snow and few have done more in shaping its affairs, not only in his home locality but in the state at large.
JOHN C. KLEMME.
For many years John C. Klemme figured as one of the most prominent insurance men of Huron and his section of the state, and the agency which he established is still conducted under his name, although he has retired from active connection therewith. He is a well known figure in fraternal circles and is everywhere mentioned as one of the valued residents of Huron. His birth occurred in Franklin county, Indiana, in 1852, and in his youthful days he attended the country schools, but his education and training have been largely acquired in the school of experience. His father was Henry W. Klemme, a resident farmer of Indiana, who, in 1860, removed to Winneshiek county, Iowa, where he owned large tracts of land, being one of the leading farmers of that district. His last years were spent in Elma, Iowa, where he owned a fine residence. A native of Germany, he crossed the Atlantic in a sailing vessel, eight weeks being required in making the voyage. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Catherine Gasell, was also a native of Germany, having been born on the banks of the Rhine in Prussia. They became the parents of fourteen children, of whom thirteen, eleven sons and two daughters, are yet living.
John C. Klemme was a little lad of eight years when the family removed to Iowa, and in the usual manner of farm lads his boyhood and youth were spent. In 1878, when twenty-six years of age, he came to South Dakota from Vinton, Iowa, for the purpose of looking over the country. He made his way to Springfield, this state, and was well pleased with its prospects. He returned to Vinton for the winter, but in the spring of 1879 again went to Springfield, where he established a real-estate and insurance office, conducting business there for eight years. In 1886 he located in Huron, having taken up a tree claim that included what is now the southern part of the city. For many years he conducted an extensive insurance, real-estate and loan business in that city, having a very large and gratifying clientage. For thirty-four years he represented the Phoenix Insurance Company and established the Calumet agency in South Dakota and in Iowa. For twenty-two years he was special agent and adjuster for the Phoenix Insurance Company in North and South Dakota, and there is no phase of the insurance business with which he is not familiar. His agency was known as the Klemme Agency, and the business is still carried on under that name, although he has retired. The name has become a synonym for the highest standard of service along insurance and real-estate lines.
While at Springfield, South Dakota, Mr. Klemme was united in marriage to Miss Florence Sandison, of Vinton, Iowa, who passed away thirteen years later. A few years subsequent to her death Mr. Klemme wedded Mrs. L. E. Choate, of Yankton, South Dakota, who in her maidenhood was Miss Annie E. Edwards. Her father was one of the pioneers of the state, settling at Elk Point, Dakota, in 1860. Subsequently he moved to Yankton, where he established a dray line. His first home was a log cabin and the family met the usual experiences and hardships of pioneer life, but his business grew with the settlement of this state.
Mr. Klemme has always taken a very active part in the affairs of the city, is a public-spirited man and one whose interest has been of a most helpful character. He is prominently known in fraternal circles, holding membership with the Knights of Pythias, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Masons. He was largely instrumental in building the Masonic Temple in Huron and became one of its largest stockholders. He is ever loyal and true to the teachings of these organizations, exemplifying in his life the spirit of fraternity. He belongs to the Episcopal church, and he gives his political allegiance to the republican party. For four years he filled the office of register of deeds in his county and for five or six years was city treasurer of Huron, discharging the duties of both offices with promptness and fidelity. In every relation of life he has measured up to high standards of manhood and citizenship and in business his record is indeed an enviable one, winning for him the regard and confidence of colleagues and contemporaries. The rest which has come to him in his retirement from business is well merited, but, while he has put aside the more arduous cares of business life, he is by no means a recluse, for he takes a most active and helpful interest in the fraternal organizations with wrhich he is connected and gives generous, hearty and helpful support to all those measures which are a matter of civic virtue and civic pride.
ROBERT JASMANN, D. D. S.
.Dr. Robert Jasmann ia a well known dentist residing in Scotland, South Dakota, where his birth occurred July 17, 1880. He has the distinction of being the first white child born in that town and is a son of Christian and Katherine (Vatz) Jasmann, who were natives of Russia, although of German descent. They came to this country with eighteen other families who sailed for America from Hamburg on the ship Cecelia in October, 1872. On the 24th of that month they landed in New York after a stormy voyage of twenty-one days. They passed the first winter with friends at Sandusky, Ohio, but the following spring continued their journey westward, arriving at Yankton, South Dakota, on the 13th of April. They located ten miles southeast of Scotland, forming what was known as the Odessa settlement. They were of deep religious convictions and in 1875 built a church. The parents of our subject took up their residence upon a half section of land in the Odessa settlement and followed farming until 1879. In that year a removal was made to Scotland and the father entered the mercantile business, conducting a general store. Later he sold out and engaged in raising high grade cattle until his death. Five children were born to him and his wife: Amelia, now Mrs. E. Geist, of Faulkton, this state; Emilie, who married Harry Wright, of Spokane, Washington; Robert, of this review; Wilhelmina, now Mrs. William Griess, of Shockham, Nebraska; and Elsie, a teacher in Aberdeen, Washington.
Dr. Jasmann entered the Scotland schools at the usual age and continued his education at the Wartburg Academy at Clinton, Iowa, for two years. Subsequently he took a three years' course in the Chicago College of Dental Surgery, being graduated therefrom in the spring of 1902. Not long afterward he opened an office in Scotland and has since remained there. He has built up a fine practice and is considered one of the best dentists in the state. A vacancy occurring on the board of dental examiners, Governor Byrne appointed Dr. Jasmann to the place, and upon the expiration of that term he was appointed for the full term of five years, which expires in 1919.
Dr. Jasmann was married November 26, 1908, to Miss Nina Wallace, a native of Monticello, Wisconsin, and a daughter of William and Elizabeth (Moore) Wallace. Mrs. Jasmann attended the South Dakota University at Vermillion, and subsequently engaged in teaching school there.
Dr. Jasmann is a Mason, belonging to the blue lodge and chapter at Scotland, the commandery and consistory at Yankton. He is a member of the International Dental Congress and the South Dakota State Dental Society. His wife belongs to the Presbyterian church and he attends its services. He finds needed rest and recreation in hunting and fishing and spent his vacation in the fall of 1913 hunting in the Black Hills. Although he is still a young man, he remembers the memorable blizzard of January 12, 1888, as he was in school at the time and his father sent a man to the schoolhouse to take him home.
He has inherited the courage and determination of his pioneer parents and under changed conditions is working with equal loyalty for the best interests of his community and state: He has won not only a high place in his profession but has also gained the esteem and goodwill of all who know him.
There arc many progressive and successful farmers in Bon Homme county and among them is numbered James Donnelly, of Running Water precinct, who is one of the oldest residents of the county in point of years that he has lived in the state. He was born near Madison, in Dane county, Wisconsin, April 19, 1851, a son of Frank and Nancy (Keegan) Donnelly, both natives of County Monaghan, Ireland. They were married on the Emerald isle in 1850 and in the same year emigrated to America, settling in Dane county, Wisconsin, where the father, who was a blacksmith, worked at his trade. In 1861 they came to South Dakota with their family and the father took up a squatter's right in what was then known as Todd county, Dakota territory, but which was later added to Nebraska, it being situated in that part of Knox county, Nebraska, that lies between the Niobrara and the Missouri rivers. The region was not then surveyed and white settlers were few and scattered. In 1864 the government desired to assign that region to the Ponca Indians as a reservation and ordered the settlers to vacate. They had to move in 1866 but eventually Mr. Donnelly got pay for the buildings he had erected. He crossed the Missouri river, settling in Running Water precinct, Bon Homme county, Dakota. The stockade of the Ponca agency was erected on the land where Mr. Donnelly had settled as a squatter. Upon locating in Bon Homme county he took up both a preemption claim and a homestead claim and later filed on a timber claim, thus becoming the owner of a considerable body of valuable land. He resided upon his farm until 1901, when he and his wife removed to the cottage on the farm where his son James resides. The father passed away there October 1, 1902, at the age of seventy- six, and the mother died in April of the same year when seventy-seven years of age.
James Donnelly was a lad of ten years when he accompanied his parents on their journey from Wisconsin to South Dakota, which was made with ox team. They camped along the way and it was six weeks from the time they started until they reached the point on the Niobrara where settlement was first made. Our subject received valuable training in farm work and gained such scholastic knowledge as was afforded by the district schools of that time. At the age of eighteen years he began his independent career, herding cattle furnished by contractors for the Indians of the reservation. For six years he was thus employed, living in the open for ten months of the year, January and February being usually spent at home or at the agency. After his marriage, which occurred in 1873, he took up a homestead claim and resided on it until 1880, when he took up a timber claim, on which he has since lived. His residence was a log house until 1899, when he built a large modern dwelling. He owns four hundred acres of land on section 12, Running Water precinct, which is the home farm, and has eighty acres of pasture land on section 14, which is a part of his original homestead. He follows general farming and stock raising and as his methods are practical and his industry untiring his labors secure him a good annual income.
Mr. Donnelly was married in Yankton on the 23d of June, 1873, to Miss Kate Mulleague, a native of Ireland and a daughter of Barney Mulleague. Their family numbers- nine children. Francis A., residing on a farm two miles east of his father, married Josephine Dolin, by whom he has one child. James is the owner of a claim near Draper, in Lyman county. Winnie married Lawrence Malone, who is farming near Running Water, and they have two children. Annie, a graduate of the Fremont (Neb.) Normal School, is the wife of L. C. Dace, a resident of Fremont. May attended the State University of South Dakota at Vermillion and is now at home. Margaret was a student at the Fremont Normal School and later entered the State University of Nebraska at Lincoln, from which institution she was graduated and is now a stenographer in that city. Kate, a graduate of the Springfield Normal School, is employed as a clerk in the postoffice of that city. Zoie, who attended the Normal School at Fremont, Nebraska, taught school at Niobrara in 1913 and 1914, and her home school in 1915. Laura, who completes the family, is now attending the State University at Lincoln, Nebraska.
Mr. Donnelly is a democrat and his religious faith is indicated in his membership in the Catholic church. He enjoys looking back to the early days of his residence in the state and among his reminiscences is the account of a three days' storm in April, 1873. At that time he was at Green Island, Nebraska, herding horses. There were a number of disastrous floods, the worst, however, being in the spring of 1866. During the time of the Indian uprising many of the white settlers fled the country but Mr. Donnelly and his family found refuge at the Ponca agency. He remembers seeing Custer's men arrive by boat and secure lodgment in the homes of Yankton and has many other recollections that link the present with that past which seems so far away when the difference in the conditions of life is considered. As a pioneer settler of the state be is entitled to and receives honor and respect, and his personal qualities are such as to win and retain the friendship of those who are closely associated with him.
CYRUS C. PUCKETT
Cyrus C. Puckett is one of the representative men of Tyndall, South Dakota, where he is engaged in the practice of law and is also editor of an up-to-date and reliable weekly newspaper. His great-grandfather, Daniel Puckett, was a Quaker, who, hating slavery, removed from South Carolina to southeastern Indiana about 1800. His son. the grandfather of our subject, was Cyrus Puckett, who married Bettie Thomas, and they became the parents of Cyrus J. Puckett, who was born in Fountain county, Indiana, December 26, 1840. In 1848 the last named was taken by his parents from Indiana to Jo Daviess county, Illinois, the trip being made by team, as there were then no railroads in that part of the country. Although he was but eight years old at the time, he remembers a deer which was running about the yard of the hotel in Chicago at which they stopped, and he also remembers that a guest of the hotel placed him upon the deer's back and that the deer allowed him to ride there. An uncle of C. J. Puckett, Levi Coffin by name, kept one of the stations of the underground railway in Indiana, thus helping many escaping slaves to reach Canada and freedom. It was he who gave shelter to the original of the character of Eliza in Mrs. Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin." The young woman in question actually made her escape across the Ohio river much as described in the famous novel and Mr. Coffin assisted her on her way north.
Cyrus J. Puckett married Elizabeth Deetz, a daughter of William and Mary (Kleese) Deetz and a native of Sullivan county, Pennsylvania. The Deetz family was early established in this country and all of its men proved their patriotism by active participation in the war of the Revolution. C. J. Puckett removed from Jo Daviess county, Illinois, to Hutchinson county, South Dakota, in 1884, buying three hundred and twenty acres of land situated two miles north of Scotland. He at once became recognized as a leader in progressive farming in the state and was the first to demonstrate that corn could be profitably grown here. He also set out the first orchard in the region and sowed the first meadow of timothy and clover. He was likewise interested in educational advancement and was one of the founders of Scotland Academy, serving also as trustee of the institution. In 1901 he took up his abode in Vermillion and there still makes his home. C .J. Puckett was twice married and by his first wife had three sons, namely: Frank, a banker of Hosmer, South Dakota; Walter, an agriculturist of Roundup, Montana; and Willard, who follows farming at Stillwater, North Dakota. To Mr. Puckett and his second wife were born two sons: Cyrus C. of this review; and Owen, a civil engineer of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Cyrus C. Puckett was born in Jo Daviess county, Illinois, January 25, 1882, and was but two years of age when brought by his parents to Hutchinson county, this state. He received his elementary education in the common schools of the neighborhood and was later for two years a student in Scotland Academy and for one year in Warren Academy, Jo Daviess county, Illinois. His collegiate and professional work was done at the State University of South Dakota, located at Vermillion, where he studied for four years, being graduated with the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1905. While still a student in the university he spent the summers from 1903 to 1905 on a claim in Edmunds county, South Dakota, thus securing valuable experience and making enough money to partially pay his college expenses. After 1905 he entered the postal service at Vermillion and was identified therewith until 1909. He took up the study of law after 1907 and received the LL. B. degree upon the completion of his course in 1910. Upon his admission to the bar in that year he opened an olfice in Tyndall, where he has since been building up a growing law practice. In 1911 he formed a partnership with Dr. Klima and W. W. French in purchasing the Tyndall Tribune, which paper they have since published together. Mr. Puckett has charge of the editorial work, Dr. Klima the operating department and Mr. French the business management of the paper. It is a well edited and well conducted country weekly, giving to its subscribers not only a full account of local happenings but also keeping them informed as to the great events occurring in the world at large. Its editorials are potent forces in promoting many worthy enterprises and always seek the advancement of Bon Homme county and the state of South Dakota. As it has a wide circulation and is recognized as one of the best advertising mediums of the county, it is accorded a liberal patronage by local merchants.
Mr. Puckett is a republican in politics and his religious allegiance is given to the Congregational church. Fraternally he belongs to the Masonic order, being a member and master of Tyndall Lodge, A. F. & A. M, and likewise a member of the chapter at Vermillion. He also belongs to the well known college fraternity. Beta Theta Pi. He recalls the fearful blizzard which occurred January 12, 1888. He and his mother and two brothers were at home and were not exposed to danger, but a girl living with the family, who was at school, was obliged to remain there throughout the night, as it would have been tempting death to endeavor to return home. The stock was left unfed that night, as it was altogether unsafe to go out into the storm even to the barn. Mr. Puckett has proved himself worthy of his pioneer ancestors, and as a lawyer and editor is doing much to further the welfare of his county and state.
MRS. BRIDGET COGAN.
It is not the men of the country alone that make its greatness and that perform the arduous labor of developing a wild land into a region of civilization and prosperity. Although women play a very important part in the work of the world, it is but seldom that we stop and consider the greatness of their contribution to civilization. Mrs. Bridget Cogan, of Tyndall, deserves equal honor with the hardy men who braved the wilderness, as she came to the territory when it was yet young and established a hotel known from Iowa to the Black Hills and even to the Rockies for its good cheer and comfort. She has known intimately nearly all of the territorial officials, the judges and military officers of the early days of South Dakota and also the chiefs and head men of the Indians. She likewise was well acquainted with many of the noted border characters of pioneer times, some of them men who were the terror of Nebraska and the Dakotas.
Mrs. Cogan is a native of Ireland, born near Castlereagh, County Roscommon, December 19, 1840. Her father, Bernard Cole, was an extensive farmer, employing four men to cultivate his one thousand acre leasehold and two maids to care for his dairy. Even after being stripped of much of his holdings through losses incurred by going security for a friend, he still had a large number of acres leased when he disposed of his property preparatory to coming to America. He was not permitted, however, to carry out his plan of emigrating, as his demise occurred before the time to start. His widow, however, came to the new world with her children, Mrs. Cogan, being at that time but three or four years old. They embarked at Liverpool on a sailing vessel and after a stormy voyage of thirteen weeks and three days reached New York. At one time the ship was in such danger that the passengers were confined in the hold with the hatches battened down for a period of one week, from Sunday to Sunday without food or drink and so weakened were they that but few were able to stand when the storm abated and they were allowed to come on deck. The ship itself was in a bad condition, as two masts had been broken and washed overboard, and several leaks made conditions worse. The length of the voyage had exhausted the food supply and provisions ran so low that they were obliged to ask assistance of another merchantman and a man of war, but the food given them by the latter was so badly spoiled and infected with vermin that only starving people could have eaten it.
The mother, with her four sons and one daughter, settled on a farm a few miles from Newark, New Jersey, which is now, however, a part of the city itself. The children grew to maturity upon this farm and there the daughter, Bridget, married Michael Cogan, and there her only child, Andrew James Cogan, was born. Her husband was a native of Saratoga, New York, where his ancestors had lived since early colonial days. He died when his son Andrew was but a few months old. In 1857 Mrs. Cogan came to Portage, Wisconsin, where she resided for a year, after which she removed to Pike county, Missouri, making her home in that county for about ten years. She lived there during the trying period of the Civil war and was open in her advocacy of the Union cause, although it was far from a safe thing at that time to avow allegiance to the Union in Missouri, which was strongly in favor of slavery. Four of her brothers served in the Union army, one in Colorado, two in Alabama, where their regiment participated in many hard-fought battles, and one in the militia near his home.
After the war her brother Barney came west and in 1868 was plying
his trade of blacksmith at the old town of Bon Homme, then a station
on the stage route leading to the forts along the Missouri river. He
sent for Mrs. Cogan to make a home for him and she reached Yankton,
June 29, 1869. It so happened that her brother was then employed in
Yankton on the new St. Charles Hotel. He did not believe that his
sister had arrived when told that she was at the Merchants Hotel as
she had not advised him that she was coming. On investigating,
however, be found her there and they immediately made their way to
Bon Homme, where they rented an old house constructed of cedar logs.
Mrs. Cogan had her furniture sent from Sioux City by boat and soon
had a comfortable home for her brother. She then had a large house
built for hotel purposes. After a short time, however, a prairie
fire destroyed the house with everything in It, Mr. Cole and Mrs.
Cogan barely escaping with their lives. They remained in the house
until the roof fell in and when they were then driven into the open
they encountered almost equal peril from the burning grass and
weeds, which set fire to their clothing up to their knees and
blistered their feet. From the time that she first settled in Bon
Homme, Mrs. Cogan was almost compelled to keep travelers over night,
as there was then no hotel in the locality. She had been permitted
to occupy the courthouse while her house was being constructed and
after the destruction of her home by fire and the adjournment of the
United States district court, she was allowed to use the courtroom
as a hostelry until lumber could be shipped from Sioux City to erect
a new building for that purpose.
Later she again occupied the courthouse so as to permit her house to be used as a store by Henry Davis and George Meade, who started the first store in Bon Homme. For many years the hotel which she ran was famous for hundreds of miles and was the stopping place of all men of consequence in the territory and later in the state, as well as the more humble traveler. Ministers of all denominations found a ready welcome and no charge was ever made for their accommodations. Some idea of the difficulties which Mrs. Cogan had to surmount in the conduct of her business may be gained when it is learned that it was at first necessary for her to carry water in buckets from the river, which was some little distance from the hotel. As this was a very slow and tiresome task, a team and wagon was later purchased and used to haul water and wood. After some time a well was dug adjacent to the hotel but a sufficient supply of water was not reached until the well had been sunk to the depth of eighty feet. At times, during sessions of the United States court, there were as many as sixty people sleeping in their own blankets on her dining room floor and often two hundred and fifty meals were served three times a day. As there were no bakeries, Mrs. Cogan was forced to bake all of the bread and pastry used in her own kitchen, in addition to preparing the other food consumed. As most of her guests were men of the frontier whose arduous work made it necessary that they have substantial food and a great deal of it, it is easy to see that the task of keeping a hotel was far from being an easy one. Mrs. Cogan, however, not only supplied an abundance of food of excellent quality, but also found time to speak a friendly word to each of her guests, whether he be a man of influence in the territory or a stranger without means. She was a stanch friend of the Indians and they sometimes encamped on her field a thousand strong, while a party of them often held one of their ceremonial dances at her door, which honor she usually repaid by giving them a sack of flour. Her Indian name was Tanka Waaeche Utah Tepe, which is translated as "the big white woman who keeps the eating house." To show his appreciation of favors shown him the famous chief, Sitting Bull, sent her a present of an immense hornspoon and a pair of moccasins trimmed with porcupine quills. The gallant General Custer was a daily guest at her hotel in the spring of 1876, when he was detained at Bon Homme by high water on the way to his last battle on the Little Big Horn river in Wyoming. Upon the removal of the county seat to Tyndall Mrs. Cogan closed her hotel and took up her residence in the new town, where she has since lived retired. Her son, Andrew James Cogan, established his newspaper plant at Scotland.
Mrs. Cogan has been a lifelong member of the Catholic church and contributes freely to its varied work. Her exemplary Christian character and her hearty cheerfulness, even when bearing burdens which few of the present generation are called upon to sustain, may well serve as an inspiration to all who learn of her life. She was reared in an old settled country and was accustomed to the comforts and refinements of civilization and her influence in the territory and state of South Dakota was one of the potent forces in softening and rendering more gracious the crude and sometimes rough life of the frontier. She had a sympathetic understanding of the conditions of the western country and realized that underneath the rude exterior there was a sincere and fine manhood, and this understanding enabled her to wield her great influence for good. Her personal interest in each of her guests and the excellent accommodations afforded by her hotel were rewarded by the warm place which she held in the hearts of many throughout the northwestern region. There is no one in South Dakota who has had a more eventful or more interesting life and her name deserves an honored place among those pioneers who, by their toil, laid the foundation upon which the present prosperous state of South Dakota has been builded.
"History of Dakota Territory"
Kingsbury, George W.
HENRY ALLEN PIKE.
The demise of Henry Allen Pike, of Tyndall, was not only an occasion of ranch sorrow to his family and personal friends, but was also a matter of deep regret in the journalistic circles of the state, as he had been for years one of the prominent editors of South Dakota. He was a descendant of an old and well known New England family, his grandmother being a cousin of Ethan Allen of Ticonderoga fame. The subject of this review was born in the state of New York, but when he was but a lad his parents moved to Iowa and he early learned the printer's trade in that state. At the age of seventeen he became an editor, and from that time until his death, which occurred in 1912, he never vacated the editorial chair. In 1883 he came to Tyndall, Bon Homme county, Dakota territory, and purchased the Register, from Bradford &, Richmond. He made this paper an organ of the democratic party and it became one of the influential journals of this section of the state. His editorials were not only potent forces in advancing the cause of the democratic party, but they were also important factors in the promotion of many movements for the community welfare of Tyndall. The news columns gave to subscribers of the paper reliable accounts of current happenings in the locality and also in the world at large, while the wide circulation of the Register made it an excellent advertising medium. In Cleveland's second term Mr. Pike was appointed postmaster of Tyndall and held the office for four years. While still a resident of Iowa, in connection with his journalistic work he served as superintendent of schools for Palo Alto county and throughout his life manifested a deep interest in everything pertaining to educational advancement. He was also prominent in Iowa in the councils of the democratic party, and was for several terms chairman of the state central committee, in addition to serving as delegate to many county and state conventions. His fraternal allegiance was given to the Masonic order, his membership being in the lodge at Tyndall.
Mr. Pike was married June 4, 1895, to Miss Mary
Cullen. a native of Cedar county, Nebraska, and a daughter of Martin
and Catherine (Sullivan) Cullen, natives of County Wexford and
County Waterford, Ireland, respectively. They were among the early
settlers of Cedar county, but since the death of his wife Mr. Cullen
has made his home with a son, W. V. Cullen, who resides in Lyman
county, South Dakota. A son, Stillman, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Pike
November 26, 1996. From the time of her marriage the latter has
taken a lively interest in journalism and, as she learned all the
details of the printer's art thoroughly, she is well qualified to
publish the Register. She has continued its publication since the
demise of her husband in 1912 and edits the paper as well as
oversees its printing. She has maintained the high standard set by
Mr. Pike, and not only is the paper an excellent purveyor of news,
but it is also a stanch and effective advocate of democratic
principles. She is a Presbyterian in her religious belief and takes
an active interest in the work of that church. After the blizzard of
January 12, 1888, which left so much death and destruction in its
wake, the remains of nineteen who had perished in the storm were
laid out in the office of Mr. Pike. Over on the south side of the
river Mr. Cullen, father of Mrs. Pike, made his way to the
schoolhouse through the blinding and suffocating storm and took the
teacher and four children home with him and kept them throughout the
night. Mr. Pike did a great deal to advance the material and moral
welfare of his county, and the results of his well spent life are
increasingly apparent, even though he himself has passed to his
reward. His memory is held in high honor by all who were privileged
to call him friend.
The Biographical Directory of the Railway Officials of America
T. Addison Busbey, 1906
Clemans, Frank J., Agent Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul Ry. Office St. Paul, Minn. Born Dec. 20, 1861, at Faribault, Minn. Entered railway service Aug., 1882, since which he has been consecutively to Dec. 1886, station baggageman and clerk Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul Ry at Faribault, Minn.; Dec. 1886 to June 1889, agent at Scotland, S. D.; June 1889 to Dec. 1891, agent at Mitchell. S. D.; Dec. 1891 to May 1893, agent at Mankato, Minn.; May to Dec. 1893, traveling freight and passenger agent at La Crosse, Wis.; Dec. 1893 to Oct. 1902, division freight and passenger agent at Dubuque, Ia.; Oct. 1902 to date, agent same road at St. Paul, Minn.
Hiram A. Reeves was born in Jefferson county, New York, in 1850; came west in 1879, and stopped at Yankton, Dakota; the following year he moved to Scotland, Dakota; in 1881 he married Jennie Girard, of Jefferson county, New York. They have one child.
from HISTORY OF Southeastern Dakota, Its Settlement and Growth, Sioux City Iowa: Western Publishing Company, 1881
Gen. C. T. Campbell was born in Pennsylvania in 1823; he served in the United States army during the war with Mexico. Also served in the late rebellion; General Campbell has a great many battle scars that he will carry to his grave; he left the service in 1866 with rank of brigadier general; that same year he moved to Dakota and settled 15 miles above Port Randall, on the Missouri River; in 1871 he moved to the James River Valley and settled where Scotland now stands. He married Miss South, of Baltimore, Md.
from HISTORY OF Southeastern Dakota, Its Settlement and Growth, Sioux City Iowa: Western Publishing Company, 1881
J. F. Weber was born in Germany Aug. 12th, 1857; in May, 1872, he came to America and settled in Nebraska; from Nebraska he moved to Scotland, Dakota. He married Anna Sveycovsky.
from HISTORY OF Southeastern Dakota, Its Settlement and Growth, Sioux City Iowa: Western Publishing Company, 1881
Charles Maywold was born in the town of Schenectady, New York; in 1872 he came west and settled in Dakota Territory; in 1878 he married Anna Mettis, of Dakota.
John E. Maxwell was born in Montreal, Canada, May 14th, 1849; in 1863 moved to Iowa; in 1869 he moved to Dakota and settled in Hutchinson county, where he is permanently located.
John Stafford retired farmer; came to Scotland from Canada in 1872; formerly owned the town site of Scotland, ninety acres of which he gave to the railway company; Mr. S. was appointed post master by President Grant with a salary of $10 per annum, which office he continues to hold; has been a county commissioner for five years; Mr. Stafford is one of the leading citizens of Scotland, owning fine property adjoining the town.
Gottlieb Mix sample room; born in Germany; came to America in 1876, and settled in Yankton; came to Scotland in 1880, in which year he was married to Mary Makrie.
John C. Dimock; depot agent; came to Prairie du Chien, Wis., from Pennsylvania in 1860; was employed by the C. M. & St. P. R. R. Co., beginning as messenger boy; Mr. D. made the survey west of Algona, Iowa, through to the present terminus of the road.
A. J. Cogan Sr. proprietor Springfield Times; a native of New Jersey; came west in 1869, and settled in Bon Homme county; published the Dakota Citizen at Bon Homme for three years, when the office was moved to Scotland in Feb., 1880.
W. H. Curtis grain dealer; came to Scotland from Decorah, Iowa, in 1879; deals in all kinds of grain, principally in flax, of which he shipped, during the past year 15,000 bushels.
Hugo Spannagel manager Lavender's mercantile house; born in Prussia in 1857; came to Dakota in 1864; moved to Nebraska; thence to Yankton, where he engaged in the mercantile business; came to Scotland in 1879.
Zetus Brown farming machinery, Sc.; came to Dakota from Canada in 1876, and settled near Scotland.
Taylor O. Bogart banker; born in Jefferson county, N. Y., in 1851; was graduated from Potsdam (N. Y.) Normal School in 1877; for two years after this, acted as principal of Gouverneur graded school, St. Lawrence county, N. Y.; he also studied law and was graduated from Albany law school in 1880, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws, and admitted to practice law in the courts of his native state; in July, 1880, he came to Dakota and entered into copartnership with F. A. Gale, of Canton, D. T.; in the banking business soon after; commenced business in Scotland May 5, 1881.
Brink & Whaling proprs. Dexter livery, feed and sale stables; although old settlers in Dakota, are yet young men, and keep a first class establishment.
J. Brinkerhoff prop, of the stage line; came from Ills, to Sioux City in 1865; thence to Nebraska City as master of the Nebraska City transportation company; returned to Sioux City in 1870, as chief clerk in the freight department of the Illinois Central railroad; thence to Dubuque as agent of the River road; came to Yankton in 1876, and purchased the Merchant's hotel, and later became proprietor of the Dakota central stage line; came to Scotland in 1881, and engaged in the live stock and livery business; is mayor of Scotland, and is also one of the proprietors of the Dakota Citizen; is the owner of a large amount of town property.
Robert Dolland was born in Fall River, Massachusetts, March 14th, 1842; he entered the United States volunteer service April 16th, 1861, as a private and served through the rebellion; was twice wounded; was mustered out February 12th, 1866, as commander of cavalry; located in Galesburg, Illinois, May 19th, 1866; April 14th, 1879, he came to Douglas county, Dakota; he married Miss Carrie E. Dunn, September 29th, 1875.
J. Ch. Wenzlaff hardware dealer and proprietor Janesville Flouring Mill; born in Russia in 1827; came to America in 1874, and settled in the hardware business in Yankton; moved his stock to Scotland in 1880.
George Steiger Pioneer Sample Room; came from Germany to America in 1874, and settled in Yankton; came to Scotland in 1879 and opened the first billiard hall in the place; married in 1877 to Caroline Oxner, and has one daughter: Katie.
A. J. Faulk, Jr. was born in Allegheney City, Pennsylvania, the 13th of June, 1858; received his education in Kittanning, Pa., and in Yankton, Dakota; studied law in the office of Judge Wheeler and Phil. K. Faulk, of Yankton; then under the United States District Attorney Hugh J. Campbell,and E. G. Smith, district attorney for the 2d judicial district of Dakota. Was admitted to the bar May 10th, 1880; in June, 1880, he commenced the practice of law in Scotland, Dakota; he is the oldest settler in Scotland with the exception of Gen. Campbell; he is now notary public and counsel on the board of insanity; he married Miss Mina L. Fletcher, of Yankton.
B. F. Wise manager Bassett, Huntington & Co.'s grain house; came from Nora Springs, Iowa, to Scotland; the firm shipped about 30,000 bushels of flax during the past season.
Will B. Robinson manager Oshkosh Lumber Co.; established the business at Scotland in 1879, and deals in all kinds of builders' supplies; conducts the only first-class lumber yard in the city.
Rev. H. P. Carson was born in Illinois in 1845. Received his education at Blackburn University; commenced the ministry as the work of his life in 1871; he is of the Presbyterian faith; was pastor of a church in Illinois about eight years; in May, 1880, he came to Dakota and located at Scotland. Served in the army four months under Colonel Phillips, of Illinois; he married Miss Lizzie Holliday, of Illinois; has two children: Rollin G. and Elizabeth.
H. A. James general hardware; born in Concord, N. H.; moved to Illinois in 1855 and engaged in farming; thence moved to Iowa; and was for several years in the employ of the Union Pacific R. R. Co.; thence to Yankton where he engaged in contracting and building; moved to Springfield in 1874, and engaged in the lumber trade; entered the hardware business in the fall of 1878. Mrs. James has also the only millinery and dressmaking establishment in the city.
John Fry proprietor stove and tin store; born in Connecticut; came to Springfield in 1872 and engaged in business in 1873. Mr. Fry served his country four years in the 5th Conn. Regiment; was wounded in North Carolina just previous to the close of the war.
John A. Lee came to Springfield, in company with his son George, in 1869, and each took a claim near where the town is now located, and sold to the Town Site Company, 240 acres where the town now stands. George Lee still resides at Springfield and is engaged in farming.
J. H. Stephens dealer in furniture, harness and saddlery; came to Springfield in December, 1873; was in the harness business at Yankton previous to coming to Springfield; carries the only stock of the kind in the city.
Robert P. Cowgill meat market and provision store; came to Sioux City, Iowa, from Delavan, Wis., in 1875; moved to Springfield in 1878, and engaged in his present business in 1881.
George Hefner hardware; born in Detroit, Michigan, in 1856; came west to Iowa, and in 1870 settled in Yankton, where he engaged in farming machinery business; thence to Springfield in 1878, where he engaged in business as above.
Dr. Charles Curlin proprietor city drug store; came to Springfield in 1879; is a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa.
A. F. McAuley proprietor Pioneer Billiard Hall; came to Glencoe, Minn., in 1866: went to Ft. Stephenson in the employ of A. H. Wilder, of St. Paul, and remained there several years.� came to Springfield in 1871, and engaged in general merchandising; was postmaster under Hayes and Garfield, and resigned in 1881.
L. Schwerdlmann born in Germany; came to the U. S. in 1867, and located in Baltimore, Md.; came to Springfield in 1880, and purchased the established business of P. G. Brann. Mr. S. has a store in Tyndall, Dak., managed by R. L. Wilson.
John Todd editor of Springfield Times, son of Gen. J. B. S. Todd; came with Gen. Harney's expedition to Dakota in 1857; assumed control of the Times in 1881.
Bonesteel & Turner general merchandise; business established by J. L. Turner in 1870, Mr. Bonesteel becoming a partner in 1871; they carry a stock in general merchandise of about $20,000, the firm also have two stores, one general merchandise, the other hardware, in Niobrara, Nebraska, under the management of Mr. Bonesteel.
E. W. Monfore groceries and provisions; born in New York in 1854; moved to Illinois in 1865; came to Springfield in 1872; engaged in his present business in April, 1881.
J. U. Klemme firm of Sterling & Klemme, attorneys at law; was brought up in the dry goods business; came to Springfield 1879, and engaged in the loan, general insurance and collecting business; is also city marshal.
J. C. Russell billiard parlor and sample room; born in New York in 1841; came to Minnesota in 1856 and settled at Waterford, Dakota county; enlisted in Co. G, 1st Minnesota Volunteers, in 1861; was wounded and captured at the first battle of Bull Run, and kept a prisoner a year at Libbey, Chattanooga and Saulsbury; was discharged in Feb., 1863, and re-enlisted in the 1st New York Veteran Cavalry, and was discharged at the end of the war; traveled extensively for four years in the West: settled at Springfield in 1869.
James H. Baskin proprietor Baskin House, Springfield, D. T.;was born in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1845; in June, 1865 he came to Dakota, where he settled permanently; in 1875 he married Miss S. E. Culver, of this place.
M. Griffin was born in Ireland in 1822; immigrated to America and is now (1881) postmaster of Springfield, Dakota; he was one of the early settlers of this town.
Mrs. Mary E. Love proprietress of the Springfield Hotel, Springfield, D. T., was born in Burns, Livingstone county, New York, in 1835; in 1868 came west and settled in Illinois; in 1870 she came to Dakota and settled in Springfield in September of that year; has been twice married; has two children: Emma A. and Alonzo W. Barron.
Rev. Charles Seccombe was born in Salem, Massachusetts, in 1817; was educated at Dartmouth College and Union Theological School, New York; he graduated in 1850 and entered the ministry at that time; his first pastoral charge was at Anthony Falls, Minnesota, in 1850; has been in the ministry work throughout his life; has been twice married; his first wife was Anna M. Peabody, of New Hampshire; he then married Harriet M. Tolman, of Massachusetts; they have five children: Samuel H., Harriet M., Emma R., Mary F: and Charles H.