Brookings County, SD
HISTORY OF Southeastern Dakota, Its Settlement and Growth,
Sioux City Iowa: Western Publishing Company, 1881
The town of Elkton, which is a lively, growing place, was platted in the spring of 1880, and has a population of about two hundred people. It is situated on the line of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, and has numerous advantages, both in point of location and in every evidence of thrift. In fact, the town would astonish the ordinary traveler. Every branch of business is well represented. Its stores, its buildings and its population are in keeping with Dakota's rapid "onward march." A business directory of the town would read somewhat as follows:
General Merchandise—A. W. Blanchard & Co., John Black, A. F. Henry.
Hardware—W. H. Carnell, O. T. Grattan.
Harness and Saddlery—S. R. Stevens.
Hotels—Metropolitan, Elkton House.
Blacksmiths—O. Pencil, Ed. Johnson.
Lumber— Laird, Norton & Co., W. O. Barnes, Youmans Bros. & Hodgins, T. V. Braithwait.
Druggist—T. L. Skillman.
Meat Market—U. C. Chamberlain.
Restaurants—John F. Mead, M. Collins.
Back to the Main
Index Page for Brookings County, SD
©2007 Genealogy Trails